Designers » I-K » Woody Spicy « Groups

Black Vetyver Cafe Jo Malone for men
dislike

coffee
Black Vetyver Cafe Jo Malone for men Pictures

Black Vetyver Café is a rich and sensual scent inspired by the rich aroma of freshly roasted coffee. The deep, bitter aroma of the coffee bean is blended with earthy vetiver and incense. This unique fragrance was born from a passion to create the perfect coffee note.

Top notes: black roasted coffee, citruses. Heart: nutmeg, green pepper, coriander. Base: vetiver, sandalwood, vanilla, incense, sequoia wood and lichen.

It is available as 30 and 100 ml cologne. Black Vetyver Cafe was launched in 2003.

Coffee Citruses

Nutmeg Coriander Pepper

vetyver Sandalwood Sequoia Vanille Incense

Black Vetyver Cafe Fragrance Reviews

Redbeard
Redbeard

A light and vaguely woody cloud of alcohol right out of the vial. I waited patiently for quite a while for the pure ethanol fumes to go away, and I'm left with just the barest hint of spice and wood with light coffee. What little wood there is is dry and smooth (interesting, because I often find sweet wood to be smooth, and dry wood to be grating). It has a graininess that I like, such as that from brown rice or pasta cooking, wheat bread, or certain cereals, but this is temporarily marred by a sourness that reminds me too much of cigarette smoke. Still, it's so ridiculously weak that I couldn't possibly give it anything but a thumbs down. I don't know if the rest of the Jo Malone line is so weak, but smelling this one certainly doesn't encourage me to try any of the others! By the end (15 mins?) only the vaguest wood aura remains, but there is so little left that I almost wouldn't know I had applied any fragrance at all.

pravda48
pravda48

I get lots of nutmeg and vetiver after the initial coffee blast dies down. Unfortunately the particular type of incense they use goes kinda soapy on me, so that + its undeniable longevity/sillage issues make this a no go. Kinda fun but novel, fleeting, AND discontinued.

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

I kept thinking where's my coffee?

It opened with Vetiver and Incense and didn't really evolve to anything else. Just vetiver and incense until it fades. I was really disappointed that I didn't get any coffee. It smells like it would be a great base to something but is un impressive on it's own.

konami125
konami125

Alright scent, doesn't smell all that original and I know someone my hound me for this but I swear this smells just like the drydown of Amouage Jubilation XXV Man.

kinkylovebite
kinkylovebite

Nice on paper. Disgusting on my skin. Smells like sour instant coffee. Yuck.

Scentsofwellbeing
Scentsofwellbeing

Coffee and Vetyver.

Not a bad scent, great for coffee lovers.

Sadly it has been discontinued! They dont sell it in the USA anymore

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

Sprayed a little bit of Red Rose Jo Malone underneath of Black Vetiver Cafe. Ended up with the result of something rather heavy in between Encens Mythique D'Orient and Rose Nacree Du Desert Guerlain. I can only strongly recommend this combo to people who can tolerate well, say, Shalimar EDP (from the beginning to the end). Relatively long lasting combo.

agnė.krikščiionaitienė
agnė.krikščiionaitienė

GOOD fragrance:)

MissTuxedo
MissTuxedo

I couldn't agree more with jht4060. Jo Malone, how I love your frags but the longevity is weak on most. Sigh. I am left longing for more or I have to spray over and over. The "layering" that Jo Malone markets is fine, however, a fragrance should stand on its own merits for a reasonable amount of time!

gd15329
gd15329

So far the BEST coffee scent I've ever smell.
Longevity/Sillage: super weak, but the smell (composition) is marvelous. Too bad it's discontinued (I am reading I don't know) and it's so weak - if this was an Intense EDP it would be one hell of a fragrance!

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Yes this frag was discontinued.

portissimo
portissimo

Was it discontinued?

spiced_oppulence
spiced_oppulence

This was bought for me as a gift by my sister who, bless her, had only one clue to pick from (which was that I liked spiced smells). As a result, the person who helped her suggested this scent by Jo Malone.
I honestly haven't been a fan of his and this further solidifies that. I am sure that it would smell wonderful off the nape of a tobacco stained, perspiring male. On me it initially exudes that flat smell of leather from a cheap car and a $1 cup of MacDonalds coffee. Perhaps even the taste of Jelly Belly's poor jelly bean replica of a cuppaccino. Underneath it all is a warm sweetness tinged with a trail of spice. I imagine this must be the coriander, vanilla, nutmeg and pepper. I wished this would be more apparent as it would save me from the top notes that I couldn't love. The slight pleasantness of this was still overpowered by the artificial coffee and leather notes still singeing at my nostrils.
There was barely a dry down as my two sprays didn't last longer than 30 minutes. That said, my body must eat up scents because they never last on me for very long.
I can see it being beautiful but just not on me.

For any lovers out there who are fortunate to do this cologne justice, I have one full bottle (minus 4 sprays) for trade.

jht4060
jht4060

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe is gorgeous and tragically weak. The presentation of vetiver with coffee and enriched with subtle spice works brilliantly and then POOF it is gone. I want to love this, I DO love this. Black Vetyver Cafe I love you! Stay with me, don't go... Oh my sundered heart, I did love you!

Jo Malone - get a clue. Coffee, vetiver, nutmeg, pepper - these are not expensive components. If it is all synthetic, they are even cheaper. Triple your formula strength and you would have a huge winner. You can always spray and spray and spray, but then it gets expensive and it just doesn't seem right.

kazewayz
kazewayz

This was an interesting take on vetiver. The coffee in this blended well with the other notes. It's fresh and woody as well. A well done fragrance that should last longer. Try it.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE!!! It is really Oooooohhh La La!!!
The perfect coffee shop date fragrance!

However, it doesn't wear very long... maybe at the most, about 2-3 hours on me, then is a quick fade.

---------

This is one of those fragrances that has a full bodied smell that almost hints at a base of tobacco. I perceive this to be unisex, because it is in the deeper range of women's perfume's and in the lighter range of men's colognes... a happy medium for those of us that like a lower register warm fragrance.

Visual: I could envision an adorable bistro coffee shop with a couple sitting together on a Saturday or Sunday morning, sipping hazelnut coffee and staring romantically into each others eyes - after a wonderful night on the town -- and love making the night before.

The essence of this is like reading a wonderful romance book, curled up by a fire. It embraces you with this old-world warmth, almost the same feeling when you find a truly treasured antique that brings to life a different time period, all together.

This is rich, elegant, warm, enticing, old-money, possibly even Ivy League... rolled into a fragrance. It reminds me of walking through leaves in the fall... a very nostalgic type fragrance, with almost haunting notes.

I love it... I only wish that it stayed on longer than 2-3 hours on my skin!

PLEASE... if you find anything even remotely similar to this, MESSAGE ME and let me know! My heart longs to wear this, but I don't want to invest in a fragrance that only lasts 2 hours on my skin!

I absolutely loved this, but it was totally gone after less than one hour! Shocking. The scent of coffee was the best I've ever had the pleasure of wearing--better than So New York, Trussardi Inside, and definitely better than Tom Ford's Cafe Rose. But sadly I could never buy something that lasts for only 20-30 minutes.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Smells fantastic! Unfortunately gets eaten quickly on my skin. But for 30-60 minutes smells divine. Agree this should be made into an "intense", "extreme", "double black", EDP or whatever! Just give me these notes, but smack me in the face with them almost as Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense is to just the Amber Pour Homme.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I applied this to my wrists and my neck before going to a craft group meeting today - when I got there 20 minutes later, the scent had disappeared completely, for which I was relieved, as the vetiver in this totally dominated any other notes. When I sprayed it there was a teeny glimpse of something that may have been coffee, and a teeny glimpse of vanilla, but they were swallowed up within a minute by the vetiver. I am finding vetiver to be very touch and go with me, just about intolerable if it is in any way dominant, but OK when well blended.

Because of the parlous longevity, the price (for what is a watery cologne at best), and the overwhelming vetiver, this has been removed from my want list. Thank you Vie Cafe for the sample you sent.

The only Jo Malone I have tried that has any lasting power on my skin is Dark Amber and Ginger Lily, and even that could be better. I still have a couple of other Jo Malones to test and will review accordingly.

Jellybean
Jellybean

I am in love with this one. Coffee drinker and that's as far as it goes with coffee, until I smelled this wonder.
This is a perfect wake up, yummy coffee with earthy accords; wood, incense and vetyver offcourse. Simply amazing. Wish it lasted longer, 3 hours and refill needed!
Unisex, perfect for mornings (for real) and to get you thru the day:)

Bklynlatinlady
Bklynlatinlady

I really love this scent but it's so light. I want a stronger version of it, but the notes on it are great. I wish it was an EDP.

pynkgirl

i've never gotten so many compliments...this seems to work with my chemistry...i always get I smell like candy...weird..

pynkgirl

I really like this, it's a subtle coffee . I see where a lot of people are saying they don't like weakness of the scents, however I was told by an SA that the scents are sold as "cologne" on the titles, however they are actually eau de parfums, They market as colognes to gain unisex appeal to men.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Goes on with a familiar scent that I can't quite peg; smells very good, but lasts two hours. What is that note? Reapplying makes me think that the note is tea, and it is joined by a high-end kind of elegant cologne smell, but after fifteen minutes, the natural la femme note pokes out -- and by that, I mean "menstrual flow". I am not kidding. Fortunately, that note is short-lived, but it is one of the most disgusting things I have ever smelled in a fragrance, bar none. As time passes, that note dilutes into a general tepid, sweaty, and cologne-y blend. I'm not sure who this would work for, but it sure didn't work for me.

lizzie81
lizzie81

I love coffee!! and Vetiver scents! Although I do like the smell very much I agree with the last reviewer, it's way too weak and watered down to pay a fortune for! I just don't get why the Jo Malone perfumes are so expensive??? If I was looking to spend that much on perfume I'd want something much stronger! That being said it's a very nice smell and does smell well blended and not cheap. However it really reminds me of one I have smelled before that I can't quite pin point I think it may have been a Marks & Spencer perfume even! Overall I do really like it but no where near worth the price tag for me anyway. xx

As one who does not subscribe to the Jo Malone "the solution is dilution" aesthetic, I never approach the fragrances of this house with much hope. I really do prefer perfume to cologne and I find it absurd to pay perfume prices for a tiny bottle of weak cologne that would last me maybe a week.

That said, BLACK VETYVER CAFE certainly sounds like an excellent idea to this coffee lover. What I find, however, is that this is not really very black at all--again, a result of dilution. Take a black elixir and add a ton of solvent, and it will be a pale shade of dirty gray. This fragrance does not smell dirty, but it does smell like weak coffee sweetened with sugar and seasoned with vetiver.

Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire a taste for sweet vetiver (I'm also ambivalent toward Hermessence VETIVER TONKA...), so I'm afraid that BLACK VETYVER CAFE will not be the first Jo Malone to grace my collection... I would recommend this fragrance to people who think that Thierry Mugler A*MEN is way too thick and synthetic. This composition, while thin, is also natural smelling.

sky76sky
sky76sky

The "Jo-Malone-ness" speaks throughout this perfume - a certain feel, a certain weight a certain base blend that equates to another calm, refined & sensual JM scent.

I love the smell of freshly extracted, hand ground coffee. Deep, dark, rich, fruity & earthy - each bean has it's own delicate perfume & flavour story to tell.

I love nutmeg. It has that airy, piquant character that is so hard to pin down (warm-spicy-metallic-peppery-camphorous).

BVC is like viewing these two scent stars through a very gauzey veil. Vetyver, black pepper, soft woodsy notes & a very, very bland incense support from the wings & combine to form a very polite, very pleasant, calming, luminous scent.

BVC is a lazy morning in a terribly trendy health food cafe. A well-kept artsy lady in soft drapey fabrics is sitting drinking a cup of coffee, reading Wallpaper & nibbling on a low-sugar, lightly spiced, home made organic oat biscuit. The espresso machine steams away, the light streams in & warms up the reclaimed wooden tables. Flour dust dances in the sunbeams. In the kitchen, extremely healthy food is being prepared for lunch by a hemp-loving, incense-bathed beauty & a light, savoury coriander note mingles with the coffee & cakes. The lady finishes her coffee & leaves....

Sadly, the best bits of BVC last about as long as it takes to drink a coffee on my skin. I am also slightly disturbed by the savoury coriander note that lingers in the dry-down.

So, BVC - pretty while it lasts, but far too tame, pale & calm to be added to my want list.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I love coffee, nuff said.

K guess I should say more.
It's starts with the dark clouds of the coffee essence itself and sweetens of later, just like the cappuccino I always get.
I don't love the scent, but i love that it's an interesting scent and definitely unashamed and fearless. It's a coffee scent pure and to the point.
I have a golden rule that when I try anything niche that I try not to like it rather than try to like it, because niche is quality over sales, and the effort is really put in, so it's a market I'd much rather support, so I have to remind myself that I might not like a fragrance because it's quite different from the mainstream market.

Migotka
Migotka

I love coffee. Sitting in a good coffee shop, drinking, smelling, relishing the taste...

Vetyver Cafe is definitely a fragrance that could as well be part of this experience. The strong coffee note is the dominant one, I personally do not get citruses at all. Then it becomes more spicy, and makes me think of Christmas period. My associations take me (as usually) a bit too far, but for methere is a somewhat festive aura around this fragrance. I blame the nutmeg.

The final phase belongs to woody notes entirely. A woody coffee. A coffee served on a wooden table. Smoky incense coffee with a dose of vanilla.

In a way it is similar to Bond no 9 New Haarlem, the latter being far more complex and long lasting, but for the coffee note lovers such as me, who do not necessaity have the means to splurge 100 pounds on a bottle of perfume, really worth considering.

yvashche
yvashche

I liked the coffee note: not too bitter right away, lingering and soft. But the lasting power of this perfume is surprisingly minimal. I sprayed and sprayed and no matter what I do, the sccent is gone in minutes. I guess that is why this one is only available in the large bottle.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

So glad to see this finally in the data base. It's one of Jo Malone's best fragrances so far. If you loved Givenchy's "Organza Indecence" or Victoria's Secret "Secret 88" you will adore this one. It has many similarities of the two aforementioned scents as it has a smoldering base notes of incense, vanilla and sandalwood. All those notes are intensified by the vetyver and nutmeg. I find this fragrance will last a long time if I apply a non-fragranced oil or body lotion before the perfume. The top note of citrus in the listing confusing to me, as I don't get any of that when applied. The coffee is definitely there immediately but soon becomes wrapped in the warmth of all the other notes. It is perfect for evening wear and especially in the cooler months, but I wear it whenever I need a comforting fragrance. This wraps me in warmth and coziness the moment I put it on. It's simply a must try for those who are attracted to spicy-woody fragrances.

Grazia
Grazia

It's unique coffee fragrance and absolutely not sweet, first is coffee, then like a forest after rain, vetyver distributes a fragrance of a wood and a moss. It's a bit masculine.
Just one thing... the scent doesn't last more than 20 minutes, at least I don't feel it nor on me not on my cloths or you have to put a lot a lot!
I'm sorry for money I spent, I'll try to finish a fragrance as soon as possible and forget that purchasing.

Getelle
Getelle

As for me - New Haarlem is more masculine and active because of strong lavender echo. BV&C is more cosy, unisex and meditative. may be the difference between them is like the difference between the steal and bronze.

Black Vetyver Cafe by Jo Malone 4.01 out of 5 based on 172 ratings and 33 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Vetyver Cafe by Jo Malone. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Vetyver Cafe by Jo Malone represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.