Designers » I-K » Oriental Floral « Groups

Blue Agava & Cacao Jo Malone for women and men
dislike

cacao
Blue Agava & Cacao Jo Malone for women and men Pictures

Blue Agava & Cacao is inspired by the rhythm of Latin music: the clear citrus rhythm of lime and grapefruit is followed by the exotic melody of blue Agava flower. Oriental base accords speed up the rhythm and warm up the composition.

The top notes are exotic Birgaradia citrus, lime oil, grapefruit, cardamom, and red berry.
The heart is composed of blue Agava flower, sea salt, orchid, geranium and white lily.
The opulent base unites cocoa, vetiver, cinnamon, musk and vanilla.
Blue Agava & Cacao was launched in 2006.

All Jo Malone fragrances can be combined with others of the same line. The Jo Malone house says that Blue Agava & Cacao can be combined with White Jasmine & Mint or with Amber & Lavender.
The Fragrance Combining Palette can be seen at Jo Malone web site.

Lime (Linden) Blossom Grapefruit Red Berries Cardamom

Lily Orchid Geranium

Vanilla Pod Cinnamon Musk Vetiver Cacao

Blue Agava & Cacao Fragrance Reviews

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Interesting.

I really don't smell much of what's listed, just a simple, gentle sweetness from a very subtle chocolate note. But it's delightfully smooth and inviting, the kind of smell that draws you in to a hug and keeps you there.

fenia
fenia

this perfume made me understand what niche perfumery means.it was love at first sniff and it actually helped me appreciate the existence of citruses in a perfume!fresh and sweet and perfect for summer! a must-have!

the_new_esta
the_new_esta

Very nice. To me a cross between Dior Dolce Vita and Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Scicilia

L'amoureux
L'amoureux

This stuff is truly amazing and sadly i'm overwhelmed by it's complexity, I wish I could really decipher all that I am smelling. The cocao in this concoction is like no other and extremely noteworthy. How in the hell did Jo Malone do this?! I could go on for days on end on how amazing all of the aspects of this fragrance is; however, if only I knew all of what is entailed in this fragrance, it's just that cryptic.

Germany
Germany

Right now my favourite Jo Malone , agave & cacao is. A sweet vanilla , cacao flavored oriental floral the agave sweetens the cacao note quite nicely and makes the vanilla cacao gourmand note remain on the floral light side rather than a thick cloying oriental. This is why this one is nice for all year around and at all times of the day. The Cardamon and cinnamon make this really quite yummy. Its a warm sweet vanilla. But not too sweet.
I have just ordered the body cream for it as well. It's amazing!!! Compforatbe all day. Many compliments from my family. My son says it reminds him a little of hot chocolate. Especially when first sprayed. ( the cacao is natural and strong ) then it morphes into a pleasant vanilla that's just beautiful and easy to wear.

K1
K1

The very opening makes you crazy. I think we all have experienced the opening smell from a kind of specific candy and I personally tried to remember and couldn't.
It makes you sniff and sniff.
It's all about happiness and joy! All of us know the feeling when a baby is prized with sweets and candies! That's the same joyful moment, cocoa and vanilla! Two main elements that defines gastronomy for children!
But with these all, it's not a kiddish cologne at all. It's a mature delicate polite soft fragrance.

amber23
amber23

Oh my goodness….. This one is absolutely delicious. Beautiful almost raw cocoa and definitely undertones of blue agave (my face wash got blue agave in it and i can smell it in this one too). It is sweet and spicy, raw and delicate, sexy but decent…. I adore it. I love the body cream more than the spray, as it lasts good 10-12 hours on me. This is definitely me in a bottle, and my boyfriend loves it on me.

kelli.marie
kelli.marie

This is a beautiful fragrance that sparkles and shines on my skin. It is very blue and rainy smelling-- but sweet. The cacao infuses it with an earthy element which makes it great for every day. The entire concoction reminds me of a hot cocoa near the sea! ( spiked with some booze?? )

I do wish the sillage and longevity were greater but that will not stop me from purchasing a second bottle of this!

Would love to layer this over something else--- possibly with Jo Malone Bluebell.

LookOut
LookOut

I wholeheartedly agree with miss Butterbean on this one. The most prominent note is cacao, strengthened by the vanilla. There's also a powdery flower (I guess that's the lily) that's especially noticeable during the opening, causing me to think it might be too feminine. Luckily the flowers go to the background during the drydown and the cacao and vanille becoming more lively, making it unisex again. Just like miss Butterbean, I don't really get the cinnamon or the cardamom, so this doesn't qualify as spicy. More like a gourmandy floral (or a flowery gourmand since the cacao and vanilla are more prominent).

I do understand people complaining about the longevity. I only notice it slightly on my wrist now, and it's only been 3 hours since I sprayed it on. It lasted a lot longer when I tried it out in July. So even though this is a warm scent, I'd say it's more suited for the warmer seasons...

This perfume is inspired by the rhythm of latin music, and I get that. So when you're going dancing (especially if it's a rumba, samba or paso doble), be sure to wear this ;) The exercise will increase your body heat and thus augment the projection of this lovely scent.

butterbean
butterbean

While there is no agava in this fragrance - there is cacao which is the most prominent note, followed by vanilla and lily.

Surprising that people who vote for prominent notes, cannot recognize the beautiful oriental white trumpet lily - because it is definitely in there an noticeable.

This is a mildly sweet cocoa and vanilla with light dusty lily feel (probably why some say smoky which is erroneous, it is actually the dusty vibe of a lily flower). The scent evolves to more pronounced chocolate and sweetens as it wears. The vetiver gives it a bitterness, that keeps it from being too sweet of a scent.

It is an interesting and unique scent. I don't think I would quantify this as spicy. The cardamom and cinnamon are very faint.

A gourmand in a way, but at the same time it isn't.
I love the Lily, Cacao and Vanilla combo.

scentous
scentous

Smoky chocolate, not sweet, subtle floral, unique, georgeous, with the body cream smells awesome

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

Layered with Pomegranate Noir this combo is incredible. It's unique and, for me, no fragrance has ever drawn so many compliments from other people!

Daniela_Beatriz
Daniela_Beatriz

I feel smoke on top of sugar. Very smoky indeed, very unisex. The cacao is very subtle.

Fmcandy
Fmcandy

I like it though it s not a super scent on it s own, they sold it for me with the 154 to combine both. The mix is really interesting! More edgier. Pomegranate Noir is by far a fav. Too much alcohol in all of them. Some are kind of unique but for the price, you can sure find a better perfume.

6scents
6scents

Wood musky kind of clean. Perfect for those who are looking for a scent that wil define them if they are into strong, musky kind of clean scent. One of my first loved Jo Malone classics. It's worth the price.

george26
george26

Chocolate and flowers. Rotten flowers at that. On me this is vile on its own, but it does combine well with pomegranate noir.... Smells fab on my 60 something dad.
I wish I could manage floral, but alas my skin chemistry refuses!

Londongirl
Londongirl

When i first tried it i liked a lot, but all i could smell was chocolate, no florals at all,still there was something intriguing to me. I went back to the Jo Malone counter at Nordstroms and the sales assistant gave me a sample pot of the body creme.
This works much better on my skin and seems to be much more balanced. Not overly sweet, with just a hint of chocolate.

lilj
lilj

An unusually dark tropical novelty, but as with almost all Jo Malones, it's like falling in love with a one night stand. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it's over before you can pick your clothes up off the floor and call for a taxi. There is no longevity here. I've bought a ton of Jo Malones over the years thinking it "must be me" and "I just haven't found the right one yet". Nonsense. It's not me, it's Jo. And there is no "right one" (there are a few that stick around yes, but I'd rather they not). I'm offended by the nervy cheek of asking these ridiculous prices. Joke is on me for buying. So no more running back to this counter to get a fix. This entire line is best dropped before an expensive habit forms.

*EDIT: I want to qualify "ridiculous prices" - they are! For something that disappears shortly after application thus requiring frequent reapplication (with some fragrances in this line that means almost every half hour). However I can appreciate the innovative scent combinations, so if this line was available as an EDP, I would not have a problem returning to it and paying even more.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

Oh dear yikes totally not what I was expecting at all! I got a unsweetened dark chocolate vibe from this mixed with a tiny bit of cinnamon. It was alright but I wasn't blown away by it, but suddenly it smelled kind of dusty on my skin. Maybe it was a chemistry thing but wow thats never happened to me before. Oh well it wasn't meant to be plus it disappeared within 2 hours... or so.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Delicious scent this. Great for close contact with that other person. It's floral, dark, sweet, mysterious. I get a hint of chocolate in there. This has good lasting power and it stays close to the skin. Yes it gets compliments. Good for any ocassion. Try it.

Zeldado50
Zeldado50

I wish I could get that cosy chocolate smell other people are getting I bought this today but all I can smell is floral and it's been three hours now also feel like its irritating my eyes hope I'm going to b able to return it know ill never wear this again

aschiffm
aschiffm

boringggggggg. its nice and cozy but smells too much like chocolate. theres really nothing unique about it. would be interested in trying it mixed with Jasmine & Mint or Amber & Lavender, but I've never really been a "mixer".

lunolickaya
lunolickaya

I first tried it in spring 2012 when I was looking for a fragrance with linden blossom. I was obsessed with linden at that time and wanted to feel it everywhere. But Agava-Cacao scented to me like a piece of dark chocolate sprincled with sugary agava juice - a strong and extremely weird mixture of sweetness and greenery. Now, which is a year later, a was given a sprayed card to try some fragrance and what I sniffed was so beautiful and unlike anything else. On my skin I discovered some tropical flowers whith a gentle accord of cocoa and cinnamon. Besides, this is a really noticeable scent though without a slightest sexy hint. My colleagues immediately reacted to it and asked what it was. So it's bright, positive, flowery and a bit spicy, sweet but not sugary.

Missem
Missem

I find this one unusual, yet really comforting.

BillyC28
BillyC28

This is one of the most unique fragrances I've ever smelled. To me it evokes a margarita (sea salt, lime, and agave) and then a kind of imagined Aztec/Mayan feel (raw cacoa I presume) that kind of reminds me of Aztec Hot Coocoa which is made with chiles. It definitely feels very "Latin", that's exactly what I feel with this (or tropical, Carribean maybe) and also evokes a beachy tropical island vacation or cantina. It is a very visual scent for me, conjuring up several different images or scenes, and is really a fun and inventive scent. Great for vacations and travel I think

a.odessa
a.odessa

The best of the Jo Malone line, this is rich and succulent without being over-bearing or heavy. The agave keeps it light and a bit spicy.

It reminds me of the orange twilight of L.A.

magda14012
magda14012

It is one of those comfy scents, that make you feel better and light up the day. Very beautiful on my skin, sweet, warm and spicy after the citrusy beginning. Alluring, soft and natural smell of cocoa. Just amazing. Lasts all day long.

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

It is an interesting combination that works. A mature, quality fragrance, and the cocoa anchors the blended florals well but not in a "food-y" sort of way. I own this scent, have worn often, and have never detected citrus, berries or spice notes (other than vanilla) at any point.

perfumebox
perfumebox

Beautiful, breezy, spicy, sweet.
Blue Agava & Cacao is completely unlike any other cocoa scent around, and I totally understand why some people might be disappointed when they smell it.

This is not a dessert scent loaded with vanilla and syrup. There's a sense of airiness and coolness to the sweetness, like powdered sugar as it hits your tongue. The cucumber-melon-like agava is strong but balanced against the nutty richness of cocoa and the spicy sweetness of cinnamon. The fruits and florals are not obvious.

Over time, the composition takes on a dryer and spicier sort of leathery sweetness as the cardamom takes over, and this is where the scent becomes a little more masculine. If you like the spicy-sweet heart of Frederic Malle's Noir Epice, but not the opening florals or the soapy-dry base, give this one a sniff.

busik
busik

Cocoa feels just beans. And agave gives freshness, flavor does not sound edible.

Heverton
Heverton

This one opens up with a very good sweet accord of berries combined with some cinnamon. There's no cardamom or geranium in here, at least on my skin. 5 minutes after this initial blast, the scent goes to a vanilla and cocoa combination (with a flowery background) that smells very pleasant in a way that it's not extremely sweet and that lasts until the end of this fragrance.

sarahmorgen
sarahmorgen

I love this scent. I get an opening of citrusy-lime that's so tropical and summery. Then I get a soft floral scent that dries down to cinnamon and cocoa. It's beautiful. I wish it lasted longer. I bought a portable atomizer and I reapply at work, because I miss the scent when its gone. I've also layered it with JM's Orange Blossom, which to me is reminiscent of a Lilac bush in full bloom. It seems I can get the BA&C scent to last longer when I layer it. I've also tried it with the Pomegranate Noir and Grapefruit fragrances, but I don't like those dry-downs. This is by far my favorite Jo Malone fragrance so far.

KSBelle
KSBelle

I love this fragrance! To my nose its a medley of dark chocolate powder, vanilla cream, fine cigars, spices, blue icing on a birthday cake, flower nectar, incense, and sunshine warming the skin. Throw in some mystery, and voila! Magic happens! Lovely! There's not one particular note that stands out above the rest. It's a variety of beautiful scents that come together as one. It starts out with a burst of femininity, and as time goes on there's a masculinity that plays into the background.
It reminds me of the way my mothers soft sweet perfume gently graced the room when my father came home from work. She would greet him at the door with a kiss, and his cologne would whisper across the entryway from his dark business suit. The two fragrances would blend together as one, and everything felt whole again. I love that about BA&C.
The only sad thing is, it doesn't last long enough for me. If only it came in the form of an edp or a parfum! What an intoxicating fragrance that would be! But alas, it only stays on my skin for about 5 hours. At which point I'm cramming my nose against my wrist to catch a glimpse of its sentimental beauty. I agree it lasts longer with lotion, and can be worn magnificently on its own (or with just about any other perfume you already own). As for other JM fragrances, I love it with black vetyver & cafe, nutmeg & ginger, or orange blossom. For a more masculine approach I would probably choose vetyver as its mate.

Aspendina
Aspendina

Smells wonderful I am glad I swapped for this, its like cocoa & vanilla and maybe a little cinnamon I really like it.

Singabera
Singabera

It's full of cacao, but not the gourmandise at all. It's not sweet at all, it's calm and soft, really exotic. Babies and kids should smell like this)

cranberryy
cranberryy

I do think it's very unisex and strong, and my man thought it's terrible haha but I like it, it's unique. it's not just a fragrance it's a scent, a beautiful blend of wonderful ingredients.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

i Think that this is truly a "beautiful" scent. I mean... nit nice but actually BEAUTIFUL. The only problem is that i just dont see this one being unisex. It is way too feminine. I mean, there is nothing masculine about it to me and i love gender bender fragrances.

On a woman... you will drive every man crazy if you wear.

great silage and longevity as well.

Tovah
Tovah

I've gone through bottle after bottle of Blue Agave & Cacao and I still love it completely. It's sultry, sweet, spicy, and, best of all, unique! The chocolate is subtle, the agave is boozy, and the combo is alluring and confident. This layers nicely with several of my other Jo Malones, but I just love it worn alone, day or night, any time of year.

LaLaPop75
LaLaPop75

Wow....what a beautiful and unique scent. Cacao is very strong, also the lime, cinnamon, citrus. Next.......I'll stop now. Read above...what you read is what you get! Exactly as listed. Beautiful fragrance, excellent for summer!! This perfume eventually (on me) turns very smokey and incense like. I swear the drydown smells like sweet Frankincense. Simply beautiful!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Hugely gourmand on me, this mellows into dark chocolate notes on my skin leaving me feeling very very hungry! Lovely for creating a mood, I'm not sure I could wear it very often.

Darling Starling
Darling Starling

This quickly turns from watery fresh fruity Agave, to something warm and a bit spicy on me. What I would consider the perfect tropical evening fragrance. Beautiful for a summer night. To lighten it for daytime I mix with JM white jasmine mint.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

A favourite of Marie Helvin. An article in the magazine, "She" quotes her as saying: "It's fresh and tropical, and reminds me of stepping out of the shower in Hawaii."

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

This, to me, is almost just like her Aniseed and Vanilla cologne.
It's very powerful the sweet, edible, vanillary department.
Unfortunately not wearable in my opinion, some will pull it off

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

This is truly unique. I have never failed to receive complements both from males and females. Staying power is excellent if used with the body cream on fresh bathed skin. I hope this is never discountinued.

I recently purchased a bottle of organic blue agave nectar, and it's unclear to me that it has any particular smell as distinct from sugar syrup. For that reason, I was not surprised to find that Jo Malone BLUE AGAVE & CACAO smells initially like cocoa and dries down to a somewhat generic sweet woody scent. The spices here, including cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla, are so well blended that they do not assert themselves as individual notes. Unfortunately, I do not smell any of the floral components of this fragrance.

Overall, I'd say that BLUE AGAVE & CACAO is a pleasant, somewhat sweet, nearly linear, very light oriental cologne. I might be able to find more to love here at a higher concentration, but in this form I could take it or leave it. (Cela m'est égal...)

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Wow, did this give me a headache. It was not what I expected at all.
I could smell the base notes very strongly and some sort of sweet watery floral mixed in. It was like brown sugar.
I think it must just not go well with my chemistry because in the bottle it smelled like an exotic floral. I can understand that this could be beautiful and unique, just not on me unfortunately.

annabolina
annabolina

Actually I am not totally impressed by the first few minutes. A slight chemical whiff disturbs my nose, it might be the queer medley of citrus, red berry, cardamom with the salt, and with the sweet base notes in the background. A bit synthetic, and strange, but after 15-20 mins the scent becomes really comforting, gourmandish, but not typical, not sweet, close to the skin. And lasts 6-8 hours on me despite it is an eau de cologne.

tungtaewoo
tungtaewoo

soooooo in love with this!!! i bought this few days ago in JoMalone shop in duty free @ BKK airport. i feel sexier, more independent when wearing this. the days would be perfect if i could wear this scent and sitting at my favourite cafe, reading Nicholas Sparks' novels :)

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Until now I have not really been interested in trying the Jo Malones as they are notoriously poor in longevity which is a bit of a deal-breaker for me. However I recieved a sample in a swap from the lovely Cereza and I am suitably impressed.

I don't get anything I recognise as lime, although there is a hint of freshness and sparkle there, amongst the sweet cacao and vanilla which I smell almost immediately. After a while the scent tends towards the sweetly soapy.

I really, really like this fragrance even though I find it incredibly difficult to describe exactly what my nose is experiencing. It is so unusual and delightful, my brain isn't quite sure what to do with the information it is receiving, except for approve.

Its blending companion, White Jasmine & Mint, sounds heavenly and while I don't care much for the idea of blending fragrances (nor is it needed here), I might just give it a burl when my sample arrives.

Cereza
Cereza

Oh my god. I must wright two reviews on this, because on me and my bf Blue agave & cacao are so different.
On me it opens spicy, little bit sharp. Weirdly but cinnamon hits at the beginning and never disappears. Thanks god I do love cinnamon. I feel bittersweet cacao as well and a slightly touch of vanilla. Really comforting and war, definitely for a cold weather.
On my bf it smells better (from my opinion). It starts with warm flowers and vanilla, with slight touch of grapefruit and red berries. There is no spicy/warm stuff I felt on me. On him it's plainly fresh and sweet, but manly enough.

It's a masterpiece. Lovely.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Really like this one. Since I appreciate a good subtle lime top note this wins points out of the gate. It has a such a nice seductive and exotic drydown!

Some of the Jo Malon's do need to be paired up but I'm not clear that I would partner it with any another since I like it just the way it is. Not for everyday but one for that right moment!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Blue Agave and Cacao reminds me of my beloved Chopard Casmir, spritzed with a little bit of the bittersweet cocoa from Yves Rocher's Neonatura Coccoon. Gourmand and slightly sweet but not girly. It has a dry, woody note that keeps it firmly in the unisex category. It takes on a slight incense aroma as it dries down.

Like most Jo Malone scents, it is beautiful and worth a try, but a bit fleeting for the price. The sillage is good but the scent lasts only 3-4 hours on my skin.

mocha43
mocha43

Got a sample of this and just love it! Unique cocoa and spice scent and lasts very well on me. I will be interested in layering it with other Jo Malone samples but it does not really need to be layered. It is wonderful as is.

Aalia
Aalia

It must be magic! The cacao here is just like in nature; as if the fruit is cut open, and there you have cacao pulp before you. I am impressed with the nutty, dry, and simultaneously vibrant, bright opening; wich leads to the waxy, buttery, velvety, natural cacao; and such a true cacao it is. It's extremely rich and gourmand, but never syrupy or heavy. Only a slight sweetness develops one half hour after wear (and I am still enchanted). Later still, the scent becomes like cashmere, or a deep velvet, with textures arising through the sillage. A light hearted, giggly feeling comes from the red berries, and lemon. Faint petal tones lie in the background, from the geranium, orchid, and lily, they are so weak, they seem almost like air, giving levity. There is constantly a gentle spiciness that can be noted via the cinnamon and vetiver. The vanilla is present, always, providing richness, while mingling with the musk. The scent develops, changes... it's so beautiful and artistic, yet so tasty. So many nuances, so many alluring and gorgeous facets, all combined in one scent!

clairdelune
clairdelune

Although this is called Blue Agava & Cacao, if it were up to me, it'd just be "Cacao" cuz that's what you smell from beginning to end--CACAO-POW! Honestly, I get none of the lime, grapefruit, orchid, geranium etc., which is a shame, cuz the description makes it sound very intriguing. But these other notes seem to be completely overwhelmed by the coco. If you're a chocolate nut, you'd be a total nut not to get this, and you'll surely love it. But if you don't like foody/gourmand, and especially dessert-y scents, this probably wouldn't be a good choice for you.

Sterling Maiden
Sterling Maiden

I bought this immediately after sniffing it on my arm. I rarely buy a fragrance without letting it sit on me awhile, but this one was love at first smell. I already have the Black Vetyver Cafe by Jo Malone, and was told by the SA that these two were a good layering combination. I can't wait to try it out that way.

What do I like so much about Blue Agava & Cacao? First, I like scents that are a little unusual, but smell good (as opposed to unusual, but who in their right mind would wear them scents). The initial spray is green and sparkling, the lime blossom being first out the gate, followed closely by the cardamom. I love cardamom in my fragrances, and have several with this ingredient. The cardamom doesn't take over, because as soon as the lime fades away, the scent starts to become more floral. The floral notes are nicely blended, no single floral note is discernable to my nose. I would never classify this as a floral however - it's a little salty, a little sweet, a little spicy, a little floral all at once. The combination of these sensations is what makes it unique to me.

thegirlin14g
thegirlin14g

I love this! I found this when I asked the woman at the counter for something sweet but sexy. She sprays this on a card for me - done! :) Sweet and friendly enough for women to compliment, and alluring enough for my guy friends to be intrigued. It's chocolatey and smooth, but there's something more - something spicy and really lively that catches your attention. Beautiful. I find it pairs very well with Black Vetyer Cafe. Very seductive.

frangipani
frangipani

This is one of the most unusual sweet and spicy scents I have ever discovered. Beautiful and chocolatey. I am now trying some of the combinations recommended and new ones I think may work. Best way to wear a unique fragrance. Thanks Jo!

Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone 4.08 out of 5 based on 357 ratings and 58 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.