Designers » I-K » Oriental Woody « Groups

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Jo Malone for women

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Jo Malone for women
dislike

smoky
Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Jo Malone for women Pictures Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Jo Malone for women Pictures

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily by Jo Malone is an oriental woody fragrance for women, a cologne for women presented in 2008. It includes aromas of black cardamom, ginger and pink pepper in the top notes; the middle notes are jasmine, orchid, water lily and rose; while the base notes encompass leather, sandalwood, kyara incense, patchouli, black amber. The fragrance is available as 30 and 100 ml eau de cologne.

The perfume was presented in a pair with Lotus Blossom and Water Lily, in honour of ancient Japanese ceremony Kohdo, as its modern interpretation. It belongs to the Kohdo Wood Collection. The perfumer is Jo Malone.

Black Cardamom Ginger Pink Pepper

Sensuous Nude

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Fragrance Reviews

MirageMirage
MirageMirage

Which one is more beautiful; jo malone or antonia's flowers?

MimiJoy
MimiJoy

@Amy Edgar: yes I do detect a fig top note! Both on myself and on my fiancee. Maybe it's the pink pepper and ginger combo, who knows.

On my skin it develops into a lovely, very subtle, balsamic scent.
Moderate longevity (even when using it with its body dry oil).
Sober sillage. Perfectly unisex.
Not my signature frag but still an interesting one to wear.

AshLeigh512
AshLeigh512

This fragrance is luxurious and delightful. On my skin it smells warm and almost like rich suntan lotion. It makes me think of salty skin and a day on the beach. I absolutely love it.

dannysmom
dannysmom

Not a review, although this is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. That said, I just wanted to let everyone know that this is now available in body creme form too!! It's AMAZING!!

shasta
shasta

To me, Jo Malone is a genius. When it comes to perfume, she can do no wrong. I haven't smelled a perfume of hers that I didn't love or at least liked. I LOVE this fragrance. It is pure genius. It is very well thought out, unique, and of course the smell reflects the price. Quality! I don't even want to try and describe it because I couldn't do it justice. Just if you ever get a chance, check it out and see for yourself. A perfect 10. Also, the fragrance stays the same for the duration of its wear and is very easy to wear. A little goes a long way!

Amy Edgar
Amy Edgar

I haven't fallen so in love with a fragrance since Tiempe Passate by Antonia's flowers. This comes seemingly out of nowhere in the Jo Malone collection. Also, I'm wondering, am I the only person in the world for whom the sum of the parts equals.... fig?

rakan1985
rakan1985

scent : 9/10
sillage : 8/10
longevity :8/10
60% day/ 40% night fragrance

ConsumerThis
ConsumerThis

My goodness this fragrance smells so good. It's smack dab in the middle on the unisex scale too and better yet, it's a signature scent all day long. This house, or at least the ones I've sampled, have horrid longevity, but this one impressed me to the point that after my sample is empty, I will be buying a full bottle. The name of the fragrance is different than what I was expecting. It's soft, woody, sweet, fresh, and very well balanced. This is a very good take on ginger in my opinion. I will do a detailed impressions and review on my YouTube fragrance channel once I get the bottle soon! Smell good!

elena.kurlaviciute
elena.kurlaviciute

I bought a sample of this perfume and I absolutely love it! It has these wonderful spicy pine-sandalwood notes that are so nice and warm. It's definitely one of those perfumes that I consider of buying a full bottle after I run out of my current ones.

collectyourdead
collectyourdead

This is less of a review and more of a comparison . .

In regard to the person below who said this smells like Crystal Noir, I'd like to state that to accurately compare perfumes and say that two are the same or nearly identical, you have to know each perfume quite well, and in order to do that you have wear it and "live" in the perfumes for a while.
Many may know Crystal Noir - a lot of people do because it's so popular, but not as many know Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, but for those who know both scents well by now (especially Dark Amber & Ginger Lily), it's apparent they both have similar nuances at first, but are not the same. Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is a unique scent and I don't know of any facsimiles. It has pleasing, distinctive organic notes that unfold; notes that Crystal Noir just doesn't have.

It probably goes without saying, but Versace is also a high-volume brand, and they lean way more into synthetic ingredients for that reason, and their perfume is of a lower quality than Jo Malone.
The lasting power for this particular Jo Malone scent is good, too. When I spray it on a something, it stays there (unless I throw it in the washing machine, lolz).

At a ballet performance I wore the Dark amber & Ginger Lily perfume (along with the oil), and a group of little girls from the other class were playing with me backstage and mentioned I smelled good.
I think it's a rather likable and smooth perfume, and definitely suggest trying it.

jpgaud61
jpgaud61

This was the only fragrance I've encountered where I actively tracked down a person to inquire what they were wearing.

I was on a corporate trip, and I was gift shopping at a boutique in the Bryggen district of Bergen, Norway. I encountered this light, arrestingly seductive, alluring, and irresistible "come-hither" whiff of a scent. WHAT is that fragrance!??

I don't know why, but that scent instantly evoked the mental image of Elizabeth Hurley, dressed in impeccable, professional business attire, heels, hair up, wearing a pair of stylish, wire-framed glasses. I was compelled to find her.

I immediately began wandering the store; following, losing, then reacquiring that faint, alluring, sillage trail. I was finally able to pinpoint a dark haired woman, in her late 20s-early 30s, near the back of the store. Yes...that's her.

I introduced myself, complimented her on her perfume, and asked what she was wearing. "Dark Amber and Ginger Lily by Jo Malone" was her reply. I thanked her, told her she looked as lovely as her fragrance smelled, and wished her a good day. Her face and eyes brightened, and she smiled.

I've encountered countless feminine fragrances, but Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is the only fragrance I've smelled on a woman that inexorably drew me to her like a magnet to steel.

Another feminine fragrance that particularly captures my interest is "Shalimar" by Guerlain.

I then promptly sought out and purchased a bottle of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily for my wife.

The Jasmine, Orchid, Ginger, Rose, Black Amber, Sandalwood and Japanese Kyara wood/incense combine to become a powerful female pheromone to my nose. The scent is subtle, darkly sultry, elegant, sophisticated, arousingly seductive, and irresistible to me.

Cleopatra would have worn this fragrance.

I absolutely enjoy this fragrance on women. Dark Amber & Ginger Lily exudes feminine elegance, class, and sexuality. This is not a young girl's scent. This is the scent of a mature, elegant, sophisticated woman.

nordhaul
nordhaul

This is a safe scent that smells safe and expensive.
Not sexy not controversial not pretty not beautiful -
but yes good. Smells good smells pricey smells
Quality and intriguing. Not too interesting. Peace

miadam728
miadam728

Yes!! I am in love with this fragrance! I am a man in my mid 30s and came across this fragrance at the Jo Malone counter of Nordstoms.... Now I am totally smitten! This fragrance is definitely worth the price.... It evokes a warm, calm, classy ora that I am happy to wear at any point of the day to any occasion. Although I know Jo Malone is not known for longevity in her fragrances, this one has very impressive staying power. Out on the town recently and hours after applying this fragrance I leaned over to grab hands with a friend.....she said "your fragrance is amazing!" To me that is a pure and simple winner! Man or woman this is a beautiful perfect signature scent!

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

Just won an ebay auction on this - yay! So happy to have this in my collection - can't wait to try it with my Wood Sage & Sea Salt and Amber & Patchouli!

umme.aisha.2k11
umme.aisha.2k11

I had been wanting to try this for a long time since Jo Malone boutique in Malaysia does not carry the intense line. So while in Tokyo, I decided to stop by the counter and check it out. It is truly wonderful. I did it spray it on my wrist and went ahead to explore other olfactory treasures. Thirty minutes later, the scent turned identical to one of my favorites Versace Crystal Noir. IDENTICAL. I can say for sure because crystal noir is one of my all time favorites and I own a full bottle of it. Ginger, cardamom and sandalwood are the dominating notes. I do think I prefer crystal noir because it lasts longer. I could barely smell dark amber and ginger lily after two hours. Nevertheless, a beautiful scent and worth buying if you don't mind reapplying!

miletas89
miletas89

Incredibly beautiful and unique on women. It is warm and inviting. One of the only perfumes with which i fell in love at first sniff. I was hesitant on buying it because it is meant to be unisex - and I wasn't sure how men would react to a non-floral non-sweet scent on a woman. I walked around the shop where I sprayed it and asked for an opinion from the guy next to me. I meant to ask the guy something like "would you....like it on your girlfriend" but only got as far as "would you..." - he finished my sentence with (pardon the vulgarity) "do you? yes."

So ladies, don't be afraid of wearing this. There is something mysterious about a woman who can wear woods and spices and still be sexy and feminine.

P.S. I also get a nice warm coconut note in this - it reminds me a little of sun cream. Very dark sexy spicy woody sun cream.

Also, try spraying it on top of a cocoa butter or vanilla lotion - it really brings out the warmth of the fragrance and makes the perfume last longer

weasley
weasley

To me this is not 'dark', but aromatic and fresh, and the ginger is very zesty. There's just a tiny hint of sweetness and a lot of pepper and spice. I do really enjoy the overall feel of the fragrance, but the pepper is just way over the top on my skin, so it doesn't work for me. There's less pepper in the dry down though, and it's just so lovely, but the beginning gives me a headache.

If you don't mind pepper overdose or pepper works better on your skin, and you want something with little to no sweetness, this is a beautiful and unique, spicy ginger.

Bruno2theV
Bruno2theV

Funny thing about the fragrance: this is number one on the top sales at a warehouse here in Portugal (El Corte Inglês)...as a masculine fragrance.

Obvious I was curious and tried it, first Joe Malone fragrance I tried.
It is rather interesting and I liked it a lot. The pink pepper, the rose, the cardamon all those notes together make a really good scent. Didn't get any leather at all but I did like it.

I was really surprised that this is a perfume for women and was wondering if this could be considered a unisex fragrance. To my nose it is...

cologneblanche
cologneblanche

I was also tossing between this or the Amber & Patchouli cologne intense as they are both amber based... Ended up getting both eventually!
If you enjoy woody scents that are calm and low key, you'll love the two together. Amber & Patchouli adds a bit of earthiness and suede like smoothness which gives Dark Amber and Gingerlily a new sexier twist. I actually have used more of the Amber & Patchouli so I guess I prefer that more! They are both oriental woody but dark amber and gingerlily is calmer and peaceful, whereas amber & patchouli is more sensual and seductive.

I like this one, sort of like a unisex Gucci Pour Homme 1, but there is the dilemma of the price. Since I already have some of the Gucci, do I put my bottle of this one up for swap and get something in return that is unique (for my rotation) and just as enjoyable (if not more so)? I have yet to decide!

pauroj
pauroj

lovely and sophisticated not your average jo malone definitely with more bite to it but still keeping it clean and modern , i wish where i live they would sell the 30 ml bottle .

Emma jeanne
Emma jeanne

I spent ages trying to decide between this and Amber and patchouli, both lovely. I went for dark amber for its sweeter floral notes. However, and it's a big negative, I've had to reapply it at least 4 times during the day and I still can't smell it for longer than 10 mins each time! Maybe my senses are just fatigued. Try it for longer before you pay out!

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 2.75/10
Here's Why:
Lovely Fragrance, but before i go any further, this review is coming from someone who enjoys silage and longevity and projection. If you do not care about those qualities, Ignore me and continue on to Jo Malone.
The scent here is undetectable after 45-60 mins on me.
unforgivable for a fragrance of this price point.
Such strikingly awful performance that i actually called the Nordstrom i purchased this at, and spoke with the counter sales person.
She told me that this line does not have any 'powerhouses' and that they are developed as personal skin scents and are not in the tradition of regular parfum being that they are cologne
Really quite shocking, regardless i returned this.
Not for me, but if you are looking for a nice 'personal skin scent' then spend away.
what a huge let down.
Speaking to the notes: wonderful, earthy tones with just the right bouquet on floral notes.
This is such a bombastic waste of a good fragrance.

Scentmad
Scentmad

I forgot I had this (cue shame faced emoji). I have just had a quick spritz and was immediately transported back to late Summertime 2008 when I bought it and wore it a lot. Lovely, aftershavey and compelling. A particularly lively peppery ginger note that is warm and inviting complimented by just a small suggestion of amber (not as much amber as I had hoped). It's really not dark at all, certainly not as dark as the name would suggest, but very pleasing all the same (I do like dark and mysterious perfumes). This is bright and fizzy, more Robin than Batman.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

Lovely nose tickling opening, fragrant with ginger and pepper. Then the amber envelopes everything and the ginger/amber hold court above a subtle accord that is slightly woody. Good sillage and longevity - loved every minute. Definitely a new favorite!

i_love_scents
i_love_scents

Can a man use this one !! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
My God, for me is very very nice ..
i didnt smell a perfume like this one before ever ..
if this scent is a weman i will ask her to marry me :P
im totally in love with one ,, very warm sexy and romantic ,, sometimes i wear this with my wife and we fly together ..

FOR ME IS THE BEST

أقولها يا اخوة .. استطيع ان اعيش داخل الزجاجة
عطر راقي بمعنى الكلمة .. ممتااااااااااااز لللاوقات الخاصة
ينفع جدا لليالي الشتوية الباردة

هذا العطر في القمة

amylouise_
amylouise_

I'm in love with this one. If you're debating which one to grab from JM's cologne intense line, this one is it. I'm a sucker for amber notes in perfume to begin with, but when it marries with ginger, it's pure magic! I love the description for this on the JM website too: "enriched with amber and black orchid. Illuminated by the clean sensuality of black cardamom, ginger and water lily. Calm and relaxing."

I can't stop spraying this. The only downfall is the silage doesn't last long. Either way, a must-own fragrance from her line!

angelayio
angelayio

I use it a few months now. It is balsamic, sweet, clean amber. Like the refreshing cool breeze of a winter morning. Comforting and very alluring at the same time. It is an everyday scent for me during the winter. I love it, and every time I wear it I love it a bit more. It is one of those scents that after some time you can't go without. The signature type.

Shibor
Shibor

An unusual interpretation of orient.

The fragrance is dedicated to the Japanese incense ceremony. As such, the scent is solemn and translucent clean at the same time.
After a spicy start (ginger, cardamom are present in the top), the base from amber, patchouli, sandalwood and a bouquet of flowers establishes itself. But it doesn’t become a “traditional” oriental heavy woody scent. It remains rather airy floral spiced up with oriental balmy notes.
In this sense, the scent fulfills its purpose - among other things - as a spirit purifier and a pleasure for the nose well. And it also lifts your mood!

Due to the distinct floral note, the scent can appeal primarily to a female audience.

Lana148
Lana148

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is not at all, as dark as it claims to be. Liquid, fake amber and water lily. Not too, too bad, but to me it smells just like any other "pink" fragrance on a market today - too sweet and synthetic.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I have yet to find a Jo Malone fragrance that works for me, and this is another failure. It's cloying, sickly sweet on me and there is a very unpleasant almond-marzipan sweetness in the top notes. Where's the spice? The pepper? The ginger? The jasmine then comes through with a headache-inducing intensity and then patchouli-much, much patchouli. Objectively, this is a scent that is very easily unisex, and it has quite good longevity. It's a warm fragrance-definitely not for long summer days. Thankfully the sillage is minimal, otherwise working in an office with someone wearing this would be very difficult.

tonix8
tonix8

I could definitely see the appeal to this scent. It's fresh in an unusually dry and calming way. Unfortunately it reminds me of a medicated foot cream. Even if it was a fantastic smelling foot cream, it was still a foot cream...

Germany
Germany

I love this one. It just reached my top shelf! Dark amber ginger lily is a balsamic , warm, spicy and fresh , its unique and comforting its a very likable scent even if you are not a fan of ginger and lily.A friend recommended this one and I loved it instantly. Love at first sniff. When you look at the note pyramid you can likely imagine the smell,of this perfume. The only thing that I cannot smell really is the leather but I often can't smell leather when others can so this means little. Its a smooth , slightly sweet amazing aroma and lately my favourite perfume in my wardrobe. I also bought the oil as well and layer it all the time to make it even more intense. Last forever and the dry down is as good as the beginning. I think this will work all year around at least for me it will. This is my signature lately , works for morning, day and night , best ever , Hope this will never be discontinued.

Shenandoah
Shenandoah

I like several Jo Malone scents, but few reach the status of 'love' for me, or get worn more than a few times a year, because I generally find them a bit too linear and quite fleeting. Dark Amber & Ginger Lily almost doesn't feel like a Jo Malone scent to me, as it has many facets and lasts for a good bit longer than expected.

I hesistate to even break this fragrance down into top, middle, and bottom notes, because on me, the 'topnotes' stick around for the life of the fragrance, melding beautifully with the other notes. I get lots of ginger with fresh grindings of cardamom and pepper, a clear water lily that is tempered by soft rose, joined by a rich amber which is prevented from becoming ponderous and dominant by wafts of incense, buttery leather, and patchouli. These basenotes are masterfully crafted; they blend seamlessly, but still allow the top and middle notes to persist throughout the 10+ hours the fragrance stays alive on my skin. If patchouli makes you nervous, don't be afraid to try this fragrance, as it definitely is no 'patchouli bomb' a la Coco Mad or Flowerbomb. The leather I get leans pointedly towards O de Lancome (not Uncle Serge), and the incense is ethereal, not Mass-like. I get no jasmine at all.

If I remember correctly, this scent and its companion, Lotus Blossom & Water Lily, were intended to be limited edition fragrances. Dark Amber & Ginger Lily was the far more successful and well crafted of the two, and 6 years later, I still find this fragrance easily available at Jo Malone counters and online. I think it's easily the most un-Jo Malone of the line in terms of complexity, and this has probably contributed to its longevity. I'm quite pleased that it is still around, and will be repurchasing.

moonflower73
moonflower73

Perfume has always been a passion of mine. Simply because I am a very sensory driven person. I am not the most educated in the fundamentals of perfumery. I just love that smells can take you to unknown destinations or help you relive a precious memory.
Jo Malone is still fairly new to me. While experiencing her carnival of layering scents, I stumbled upon her Intense line. I was immediately drawn to them. Each of them fit into my genre of scents that I lean towards. Dark Amber and Ginger Lily spoke to me. Very clearly but quietly.
I am not a huge jasmine fan. With the other notes listed above sandalwood, patchouli, water lily, rose, kiara incense, dark amber....they are all right up my alley. All these components are married together perfectly. This is one hell of a beautiful scent. It's warm, inviting, alluring, calming, clean, fresh. It feels spiritual to me and I am at peace. Everything about this scent makes me feel like what I am. I feel like you can see all of me when I am wearing Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. Completely raw and exposed. There is no questioning or guesswork. This scent just becomes me. This is why it is currently my signature scent.

Every time I wear Dark Amber and Ginger Lily I use it with their new dry oil in the same scent. It makes it last forever and takes the scent to a euphoric level. I love oil period. Plus, I can use the oil as a base and layer it with almost every perfume in my wardrobe. I love that Jo Malone is so versatile. You have the option of creating your own scent sensation. Seriously, if you love woody/oriental you should consider this amazing creation!:)

Museumgal
Museumgal

I loved the opening in this, fresh ginger and the sort of spices that made me think of mulled wine. Balmy after it settled down, sweet but not a foodie sort of sweet, just warm and cozy. If only it had lasted longer, that is my only real complaint as it is a bit pricy and I only got the barest warm skin scent after 1 -1/2 hours.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is a fresh, almost "raw ingredient" smelling fragrance, different from most ambers. It comes on quite strong in the topnotes but 3 hours later it is completely gone, not even a skin scent left. While the amber is nice, the ginger scent is so strong it almost reminds me of a sushi bar. Also, the lily note is quite strong as well. If I were a man I might like it better, but it's not for me. I'm very happy I had a chance to try this before buying and I highly recommend the same for others. This is most definitely NOT a fragrance to blind buy. You need to sample this one.

katoy4
katoy4

A very interesting and unusual fragrance, definitely different than anything else I own. I love ginger in general, so even though at times the ginger seems to fight a little with the white flowers, I think it makes it uniquely refreshing. And surprisingly, the longevity is good on my perfume-sucking skin, with traces lingering a good 8 hours later. Successful blind buy!

I'll start by saying that I think I'm slightly anosmic to this fragrance. For at least the first few hours I found it very difficult to smell anything.

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is a member of the Intense Cologne series. I wouldn't necessarily call it an intense fragrance, especially seeing I have difficulty in detecting it on my skin. I also wouldn't say that the amber note is particularly dark nor prominent. Ginger lily in the name also appears misleading, with the scent pyramid stating separate notes of ginger and water lily.

Confusion aside, I do like this fragrance. It's surprisingly well balanced with a hint of spicy ginger, soft florals and crisp woods. Along with a healthy dose of ginger; cardamom, pink pepper and amber tend to drive this composition. I must admit it does start out smelling rather masculine.

The heart features an array of floral notes, including water lily, rose, orchid and jasmine. These floral accords smell more clean and fresh than sweet. In terms of sillage, at this particular point I would say that the projection was fairly weak.

The drydown unfortunately didn't have that 'punch' that I was after. Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is a nice fragrance, don't get me wrong, but I find it a little too polite and reserved for my tastes. It's smooth and oddly refreshing, not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be.

brynandoskarsmam
brynandoskarsmam

I thought this was very nice but I didn't think - wow, when I put it on. It's a nice, safe fragrance to wear during the day but not strong or potent enough for a night. Having said that, I would consider buying a full size bottle.

antfarm
antfarm

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily flips and flops all over the place but never really smells too much like anything.

In the vial it smells delicious, like caramel and lily. Then it smells just like lily and nothing else...then it smells like ginger...then it smells like weak amber and something aquatic mixed with watered-down incense.

There are stages when I like it and stages when I don't. I can't really smell it unless I put my nose to my wrist.

EDIT: The more I try the sample, the more I appreciate it. The boyfriend is a big fan of this one as well.

patrick-fragrancelover
patrick-fragrancelover

I personally adore this scent. I've had a sample for a while and have been savouring, I finally purchased a bottle recently. Now, I will say that yes, its longevity is disappointing. I wish that Jo Malone would create more fragrances in EDT's or EDP's. I think this scent as an EDP would be spectacular. This is a warm, delicious scent. The amber and ginger lily compliment each other so perfectly - it is fantastic. It reminds me of Versace Crystal Noir, but this is much less feminine and has more accents of amber giving the scent warmth. I love it, I adore it, too bad about the longevity, but I will continue to lather myself in it.

raw umber
raw umber

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily by Jo Malone. Ignore the "Dark" in the name. This fragrance is an effervescent, light amber, tempered with ginger, cardamom, and Sun-warmed woods. Very uplifting yet comfortable like the light reflecting off the skyscrapers during the magic hour.

This fragrance is undoubtedly distant cousins of Bvlgari Omnia, and Versace Crystal Noir, however DA&GL is the highest quality and fullest, brightest and most dimensional of the three. If you like either of the other two but find that they are too thin, flat, or fleeting on you, definitely give this one a try. My favorite.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I first became acquainted by this perfume about 6 weeks ago whilst in a bookshop in St Pancras station, London. I walked into an aisle and was hit by this glorious scent. Sniff sniff. What WAS that scent? Oriental?- yes. Spicy?- yes. Is there wood there too? Yes, I think so, ...It smelt expensive, most certainly but who made it? Was it a Serge Lutens? Perhaps, but it wasn't dense enough. This perfume although strong, was also light and airy.

I looked around and tried to find the person wearing it. I HAD to know! People around me must have thought I was quite strange, sidling up to them and sniffing but I didnt care. Hey, I'd be back in Australia in two days. Who cares if I embarrass myself!

I was wafting through the bookstore carried by this glorious perfumed silage, just like pepe le pew. On the other side of the store a woman was browsing through some books on a trestle. She was very chic and stylishly dressed. Yes, she was the one.

I nonchalantly browsed the books beside her and plucked the courage to ask what perfume she was wearing. "Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily." she said. " It's the Intense."

I committed it to memory and then replied " iIt's really lovely and works well on you" then she gave me a strange look. Oh god! I hope she didn't think this was a come on!! I hastily found my husband and hot footed it out of the store.

I bought a bottle this week and just love it. It's very hot here in Australia (33 degrees C) and it stands up well in the heat. I didn't get the Intense, so I'm finding I need to reapply, but it is so glorious I don't mind!

If the woman in the bookstore is a fragrantican, I just wanted to say thanks :)

mshilov
mshilov

Delicious, relaxing, rich, but delicate scent, which helped me to recover after surgery and made my staying in the hospital more pleasant.

Eos
Eos

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily to my nose smells like a more unisex version of Versace Crystal Noir. After looking at the notes of each they indeed seem to have a lot in common: pepper, cardamom, ginger, sandalwood, amber and white florals (jasmine in DAGL and gardenia in CN). It seems like the main difference is that DAGL has a prominent piney and burnt olibanum note that is quite persistent.

I wouldn't own this if it hadn't been a gift (not a cardamom fan), but that being said, its not a bad perfume and I will probably wear it, albeit infrequently.

AbbieB
AbbieB

Absolutely adored this smell, found it at Heathrow Airport. Bought it home and every time I wore it, it lasted about 10 minutes. Had to return it. Complete waste of £80

muskymoi
muskymoi

(from a sample)

Easily unisex, gorgeously woodsy sweet (but not like SL Feminite de Bois at all). I seriously hope this lasts longer than a normal "cologne" does because I want to smell like this all day long.

It's not that this perfume screams "pretty" or "feminine" or anything like that. What it gives is a measured amount of gravitas and stature to a woman, who I imagine is not Hollywood-fake beautiful but has a stunning aspect about her; more like Rossy da Palma or Charlotte Gainsbourg. They're not what one would describe as beauties but they have an innate sexuality that virtually emanates from their pores. That's what this perfume is like. It's not pretty. It's much better than pretty. It's magnetic and lusty and fleeting. It's saying "catch me if you can."

dkny27
dkny27

Deee-lish-ously gorgeous! I find it to lean a tad towards a feminine frag., but barely. It's rich with ginger and amber in the beginning and it's full bodied. It settles down very quickly though and stays very close to the skin with a deep wood mixed with a smoky flower. I ordered a sample and absolutely could not stop smelling and reapplying due to the magentism of this scent. The sample is dwindling quickly, so I commited to a full bottle, which is hard to come by, but worth the commitment, IMO. My only gripe?? The full bodied quality dwindles faster than I would like and it becomes a more intimate skin scent.

cologneking
cologneking

OMG!!!, WAY TOO HEAVY FOR WOMEN!

I am a guy, I LOVE this cologne.

This is a heavy, spicy, woody, warming and comforting Autumn/Winter fragrance. It smells of a heavily incensed Buddhist temple and a cedar bedded hamster cage, but in a good way.

The sillage is powerful and the longevity is exceptional! One or two spritz on the chest is all that is needed under a heavy Winter sweater. You can wear this into the office, but easy on application, it can get overpowering if too much is applied.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this cologne, but I am biased, I LOVE heavy noticeable fragrances. I am careful in application, but love them nonetheless.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A truly beautiful fragrance. The mixture of sweet, spice and amber is feminine enough to be worn by women. The nutmeg and amber are warming. The effect is subtle and elegant. Sillage is moderate and unfortunately the fragrance only lasted an hour or so on me. I will definitely be investing in a bottle!

pomdgf
pomdgf

This is one of the great night fragrance. Personally, if I wear in daytime it'll too strong but if in the evening or nightime it's so perfect. You can spray before go out dancing or calm your senses at home. Worth for my money. Beautiful and peaceful fragrance. I just got it yesterday .

zapling
zapling

@lizzy I dunno about the story but I know that at theperfumedcourt you may order decants (i.e. larger samples than 1 ml) of many many perfumes and in almost any size you like.

lizzie81
lizzie81

I fell in love with this fragrance yesterday after not really being all that impressed with Jo Malone, oh but it's soooo expensive i fear we may never be together :0( especially seeing as how they don't have the small bottle, large one only and after I asked I was informed they don't make the small bottle in that even though people here seemed to have gotten hold of one?? any one know what the story is??? please help people!

id
id

Nice light day/office fragrance with ginger and cardamom at the opening. Water lily is composed here very beautifully balancing between aquatic and spicy tones. There is light woody accord from the beginning till the dry down. It could easily be unisex scent for warmer seasons, maybe spring or autumn even the fragrance itself is cold and fresh (not too sweet and it is a big plus) on my skin. Longevity is good (5 hours) and sillage is wonderful. The color of the bottle may be misleading. There is nothing dark and deep in this scent.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is an excellent oriental woody. The ginger opening is spicy and fresh and the incense accord swirls in with a touch of cardamom soon, making it seem quite eastern indeed. The black amber takes a while to make an appearance and when it does puts a softening haze on the opening spiciness. I do get a hint of leather as it dries down and this is very woody smelling indeed. I think this is unisex, rather than feminine. Special and different, very nice sillage too.Lasting time not amazing, 4-5 hours, but still worth it imo.

fpih
fpih

This is dark and woody and spicy in the beginning but soon the spice (ginger & pepper) becomes less pronounced and the fragrance turns softer on my skin. The amber takes a while to warm up and make an appearence, but it's more woody than sweet and powdery like most ambers I've tried; seems the name 'Dark Amber' really fits this one. I believe it makes a good fragrance to wear in the office if you like spicy, woody perfumes but want something soft and unobtrusive at the same time. It actually stays close to the skin after the first hour or so, making it a great skin scent for those like me who like woodier, darker scents but are afraid of their daytime wearability.

I find that some Jo Malone perfumes last very long and are quite strong on me despite being colognes. This one unfortunately isn't one of them. Though the lasting power per se isn't that bad (4-5 hours), after the first hour it's almost impossible to detect unless you put the wrist you've sprayed directly under your nose. However, I find that I have better results if I spray it on my clothes rather than on my skin. That way I get whiffs of it during my whole worktime, but I still like to carry the small bottle in my bag and reaply if necessary.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Fresh cut ginger and liquid amber on contact. As the skin warms this up, the ginger starts to saunter across a dark stage with the spotlight following it all the while.

A nuance of exotic flowers soften the composition somewhat, but remain in the backdrop, never stealing the limelight from the sultry ginger. It's performance starts to become dry, woodsy, and a little peppery, yet clean, with dark amber giving it rich ambient support.

This to me is a lot like Bvlgari Omnia in the brown bottle, however Omnia has a slightly softer, more complex drydown and leans a little more feminine. For me, this is a tough choice as I love the darker woody aspects of Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. I guess I'll just have to get myself a small bottle of this and enjoy both.

seaofghosts
seaofghosts

Spicy, subtle dark and flowery. I find all Jo Malone perfumes to be light, even the richer ones such as this. This reminds me of far away travels and funnily enough, Dubai is the first place I thought of when smelling this perfume just now (it's currently on my wrists). I think this would suit most people, men and women, but perhaps go for a smaller bottle instead of the bigger one. It's lovely and very exotic but I have a feeling I will get sick of it after a while.

cloyd42
cloyd42

I received the set as a gift and didn't care for it initially. I then thought about the fact that there was a paired set, which is unusual for a Jo Malone scent. I normally don't like to layer but I decided to see if the pair was a message. Combining this with the Lotus Blossom-Water Lily is amazing. The scent is dark and spicy but richly floral, where the two separately are pleasant but not especially impressive. I highly recommend the experiment and the result.

mseidoom
mseidoom

At first, it's a little coconutty and smells like ginger cookies. It smells very nice and nutty. Almost reminds me of Vintage Gardenia by Jo Malone. Later on it becomes more powdery and less ginger is apparent.

Beautiful spiced scent!
It could suit men more than women but it depends on tastes. For me it's more masculin but I could easily wear it in winter. It is well balanced, strong but not overpowering, intriguing and oriental in a clean way. Dark but not sultry.

levissima
levissima

пробовала в дождливую погоду... хорошая стойкость, на коже выдержал сутки... хочу!

uninco
uninco

When I've first tried it, it was like a dream. Gorgeous mysterious smell, blowing me away. One week later I've tried it again and I like it so much! On me it's more oriental floral, very feminine, very deep scent. But unfortunately lasts not so long... Though I rather buy it..

mocha43
mocha43

This smells yummy on me and is long lasting. I love the ginger and pepper notes and all the notes seem so well blended that it is a joy to sniff from first spray to well after dry down.

coffeeandgrace
coffeeandgrace

Got to try this yesterday, and found that I really liked it. From beginning to end, it smelled beautiful. And despite JM's rep for not lasting long, this lasted quite a long time. I think I would truly appreciate this in the Autumn, as I found it warm and smokey. Not too sweet, not too strong--very nice.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is a cheery floral woody amber. In spite of those deep, dark base notes, it comes on softer than the notes would suggest. I find it more suited for daytime/office wear, and it seems very feminine to me, though it could possibly work on the right man, too.

Of the Jo Malone scents I have tried, this has the second-longest persistence, and it really made it through an entire workday pretty well. The orchid note in this one is very distinct. The floral notes grow softer over time, but I could still detect a faint trace of sweet orchid tampering those heavy base notes, right up through the last lingering traces. I don't pick up the leather in this one at all. (To be fair, I am used to "powerhouse" leathers like Azuree or Cabochard or Bandit. If the leather is here, it's obviously more subtle than it is in the aforementioned fragrances.)

Of interest to bargain hunters: I found this scent to be similar to Avon's Chic in Black (or Little Black Dress, for European Avon fans). The scents are not identical, but I have the body cream in Chic in Black, and it layers well and helps extend the scent of Dark Amber and Ginger Lily, at a very economical price.

triplex
triplex

Lovely, spices incense & amber. perfectly balanced.
Not too sweet, smokey or woody.
This is definately a perfume for a confidant woman. I have a hard time picturing it on a man.
Very similar to TF Black orchid v.d.f.
Dark, mysterious, sexy. I wish I had the bigger bottle allthough it feels quite concentrated and just a couple of sprays makes for a good sillage. A long-lasting attention-grabber

marad
marad

More a man than a woman fragrance! I loved it at the beginning but then it appeared to be too spicy for me.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

This is a nice light fragrance. It has a soft woody note to it, with a slight sweet undertone. I would consider this fragrance for everday office wear for both men and women.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.