Designers » I-K » Citrus « Groups

Grapefruit Jo Malone for women and men

Grapefruit Jo Malone for women and men
dislike

Grapefruit Jo Malone for women and men Pictures Grapefruit Jo Malone for women and men Pictures

Grapefruit by Jo Malone is a Citrus fragrance for women and men. Grapefruit was launched in 1992. The nose behind this fragrance is Jo Malone. Top notes are grapefruit and tangerine; middle notes are rosemary, mint, paprika and jasmine; base notes are vetiver, patchouli and oakmoss.

Grapefruit Tangerine

Rosemary Mint Paprika Jasmine

Vetiver Patchouli Oakmoss

Pomelo
Citrus Bigarrade

Grapefruit Fragrance Reviews

Suzybee
Suzybee

I sprayed this tonight on my way out of Nordstrom. First off, this isn't your typical Grapefruit even though it's called Grapefruit Cologne. Secondly, Vetiver and Oakmoss come off right away so, to me, this is far more masculine than fresh citrus.

Sillage and longevity, on my skin, are moderate. I tried scrubbing it off with dish detergent and it's still hanging on.

This really threw me for a curve ball as I wasn't expecting Vetiver, Oakmoss, and Patchouli to be to prevalent. Great scent for a man, no doubt.

Green & Blue
Green & Blue

My all-time favorite fragrance! A super refreshing scent that I'm always looking for, will possibly repurchase when used up.

chanelnumerocinq
chanelnumerocinq

The grapefruit is so perfectly bittersweet and juicy in the opening. That lasts only while the fragrance is wet, once dry the fragrance quickly transitions to a traditional cologne style. The grapefruit much softer, with warm subtle spice, a little patchouli, oakmoss, and vetiver bringing a beautiful slight earthy powderiness. Once the fragrance dries down it isn’t very distinctive, although quite nice. Within a very short time the base notes become most prominent. Overall, is very subtle, light, warm and dry. I think it’s beautiful but I don’t wear traditional colognes often, I understand that for most people this style of fragrance is extremely overdone and there are better and stronger examples of the genre than this. I will say in Jo Malone’s favor that the notes are rendered faithfully and naturally, which makes this cologne particularly pleasant in my view. It just unfortunately has such a short development. The topnotes are gone so fast. In fact the whole thing does not last! Shame!

RJ Watson
RJ Watson

Not bad at all but the grapefruit portion of the program is gone in a flash, before it quickly settles into its aromatic woody base.

Fans of this fragrance should seek out French Connection's Fragrance (an unfortunate name, I concede), as it was composed by Jo Malone for French Connection shortly after her very own Grapefruit Cologne debuted. The FC scent is relaxed, feels natural (regardless of what's in the formula) lasts longer on skin than its predecessor, and comes in at about half the price.

True to Malone's style, FC Fragrance (in the clear bottle, NOT the frosted one) is bright, crisp and extremely well-made. It's a simple but lovely combination of grapefruit, jasmine and vetiver. Without fail, each time I wear it, people ask for its name. It's a little embarrassing considering it's so inexpensive but I suppose high prices and exclusivity aren't always true indicators of quality, eh?

It's good stuff. I only have two citruses in my arsenal of scents and for me the clear, bright grapefruit note in FC's scent would make me rate it slightly higher than the reformulated version of Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien. I've adored Hadrien since the late 80's but it's simply not the same scent anymore.

Monie70
Monie70

Wearing today for the first time after looking at the sample for months. Layered with English Pear and Freesia, very nice, clean and crisp.

Unless you are a fan of citrusy scents, I would not recommend. Other commenters mentioned smelling vetiver, another fav of mine so that also works in my favor.

There is a bit of a bite to this juice, but, for me it works well in this humid summer we are having here in the southeast.

Edited to add: This is NOT a blind buy fragrance!!! Do your self a favor and go to JM and snag a sample first.

Citrusss
Citrusss

I don't know what I'm missing here but this was one of my worst purchases recently. I understand that smells are as subjective as it gets but there is something to be said about the classy, clean, CITRUS smell when it resembles the actual scent of the given fruit(i.e. Hermes Pomplemousse)but Jo Malone failed me in every category.

This is headache in a bottle, too sweet and not at all what I look for in such colognes.
Miller Harris Tangerine Vert, Hermes (all citrus ones, Roger and Gallet.. arre my types of smell just as a reference.

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

How funny! The reviewer below compared Grapefruit to Hermes's Jardin Sur Le Nil, both of which I'm wearing right now so I thought I'll throw in my two cents.

miracleborgtech is spot-on on the weird vetiver quality of Jo Malone Grapefruit. I'm surprised that most people commented on how "citrusy" and "fresh" this fragrance is, because on me it truly isn't. I love and wear grapefruit scents like Jour d'Hermes and am quite familiar with the note, but 5 minutes in JM Grapefruit smells like herbal soapy vetiver that's not sparkly nor dewy. All the citrus notes gone in a flash. The smell matches up with Jardin Sur Le Nil, I think, from the latter's grapefruit and lotus note (lotus also has a herbal, soapy dry smell to me). That being said, Jardin is far more interesting with those extra veggie notes. It also keeps the sparkling facet of grapefruit much better.

Really weird how Jo Malone is famous for their one-dimension, linear scents because I find them all soapy and (probably deliberately) not representing the true plants. Same thing goes with Lavender, Basil, etc etc...

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

Initially I felt confused, then realized the problem with this perfume is the name. Grapefruit . It should have been named something like “Fusion Vetiver”. I only smelled grapefruit in the first 30 seconds, after which it blended into the accord. When a perfume is named for a specific note, it leads me to believe that is what I will smell. And I kept trying to smell that grapefruit!

Instead, on my skin, it is an herbal vetiver . Vetiver - all the way and all day. If I hadn’t been expecting grapefruit, I would have loved this right off the bat. Everything but the vetiver melds into an accord that is subordinate. It vaguely reminds me of the dry down of Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, but is lighter, more herbal and less sweet. It has a smooth cool vibe, hip and contemporary. Nice for spring/summer.

reereetuna
reereetuna

I love this fragrance especially in summer but even more so i love it in the body creme which seems to be deeper and sweeter. I have layered the grapefruitbody creme under Jo Malone Peony and Blush Suede cologne and the mix is incredible. the scents mingle well, the effect lasts longer, and i have had people tell me that i smell wonderful. Jo Malone scents work well when layered in the right combination buti think the real key is in mixing a body creme with a scent .

henri345que
henri345que

I don't know many Jo malone creations, but the few ones i have met didn't motivated me to go and try the rest. They look like unidimensional creations, it seems that they don't go anywhere and are made of only one or two notes with the rest only being there for the record at the piramid. Grapefruit makes me think of the citrus smells of some Natura fragrances, a little bit of orange and tangerine that doesn't develop further than that. It's not bad, i just think it's too expensive for an average citrus.

qatarkind
qatarkind

It's clean fresh and citrusy. It is so natural. I love it.

Trottie
Trottie

I purchased this blindly recently and did not really like it. It is quite sharp. I was expecting something a little sweeter like Guerlain's Pampelune. However I realize Jo Malone's scents are meant for layering. I have tried it with her English Pear and Freesia. It is also quite nice with Burberry Brit. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

aqua76239
aqua76239

this was awful on me. Its rather rare that I say that about fragrance but I have to about this one-I get very sharp grapefruit note in the beginning and its not sweet grapefruit, more of a sour one. After mid notes come into play, it smells clean, very masculine and soapy. So once the initial sour grapefruit note wears off, it smells like cheap men's cologne. I wouldn't like to smell it on a man. Or woman for that matter, because its very masculine to my nose
Clearly its my chemistry because this has lot of good reviews. For cologne, this lasted good 3 hours on my wrist. Too bad its a stinker for me.
Search for citrusy fragrance continues.

FTW Nose
FTW Nose

This is a great summer fragrance! It has a very natural citrus bomb smell with good longevity and projection. Safe for the office, but can be used for any occasion. Generates mad compliments, especially early on. It is not super complex with only hints of other notes, but that works great for me. When someone asks what I am wearing I love just saying "grapefruit" and letting them wonder what that implies. One of my favorite summer fragrances.

My Score: 8.5

richdaniels
richdaniels

This is my first fragrance experience from Jo Malone. I expected a brilliantly juicy and sweet ruby red grapefruit accord. But on me, this frag is a slightly sweet, young green grapefruit. The tangerine certainly mingles with the grapefruit and rounds out the tartness.

I do like how green it is at first, then freshly floral later.

In the first two hours, I found myself noticing the cheering effect this frag has on my mood. The scent is very subtle on me and clings to my skin closely.

I'm satisfied with this purchase. "Grapefruit" is bright and elegant, unisex (natural, soft greenness, and not so sweet), but for the price I wish it lasted longer (after 5 hours basically gone). You may find better results with a spray bottle, as mine is a splash bottle.

Germany
Germany

Another favourite Jo Malone that is a must have as it goes almost with all the other JM to combine. It makes all the other scents fresher , amazing indeed.
I wear mine almost daily with Blackberry and Bay , and also love it with velvet rose oud. Its a winner with vanilla anise and many others. , I also bought the body lotion as it goes with all my other JM and makes them fresher and gives them a zing. Draws tones of compliments. More than most fragrances. All my Jo Malones do, which is quite nice to know that people are around you enjoy them as well.
This smells very natural and not necessarily like perfume but just like a nice after the shower smell.

Fresh , energizing and refreshing.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

Very citrus-y and sharp in the top notes, sweeter and woodier towards the middle. The oakmoss kills it for me (as it does with most fragrances on my skin). This tends toward the masculine side of the unisex spectrum and has an aftershave sort of feel to it; like something they would have dabbed on to you after a close shave in an old-fashioned barbershop. The voted notes pyramid is exactly correct.

Fragrantnatic
Fragrantnatic

Had this in the tiny vial and tried it on for a day, and sad to say, its not worth a second try, On me, this is yes, pungent and citrus-y sharp for my nose.. the dry down is another thing, it fades to nothing...sorry not for someone living in a tropical country, at least not for me..:(

AZJeff
AZJeff

I think this citrus cologne isn't too bad. A little pungeant smelling on my skin when 1st sprayed on. All I smell is the Grapefruit scent. I know the dry down smells different,as I sprayed it on the other day. It's a new sample for me to try. Not sure if I like grapefruit a fragrance note in a perfume. I'll need to put a later post on this cologne if the smell changes in the drydown.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

A GRAPEFRUIT IS A GRAPEFRUIT

I eat 1/2 a grapefruit a day. It has excellent 'inborn' nutrients.
But, it's not the most exciting fruit.

And neither is Jo Malone's fragrance.

It's a one note marching band.

I'll continue my daily grapefruit fix - sans Jo Malone.

george26
george26

Fresh, clean and bright, this opens with zesty grapefruit, moves to rosemary, pimento and oakmoss. It never fails to uplift and is delicious in shower gel, body lotion and bath oil versions. I adore this in spring for the hint at green shoots to come. I often give this as a gift as it so seldom offends, and is brilliantly unisex.
To combine, I recommend trying with Lime Basil and Mandarin (amazingly zesty, slightly peppery), Wild Fig and Cassis (it sweetens the grassy notes of the WF&C), Vanilla and Anise (cuts through the floral middle notes giving a cleaner feel) and Amber and Lavender (fabulous on a man).
I combine with Pom Noir, and the result is much less "Noir".

Roge'
Roge'

This is the best awful fragrance that you will ever smell. When a fragrance is named after a note, there's a big responsibility in making the product/note identical. The general problem with Jo Malone Grapefruit is that it fails to capture the true similarity of the actual fruit. Don't get me wrong, there are at least 2 familiar characteristics here which are sour and fresh. The real problem lies with the addition of these other random notes such as patchouli, oakmoss, and vetevir(for examples). I find this to be more floral than fruity...epic fail. I expected to get a Pomegranate Noir type of blast but didn't. I don't judge a fragrance on "the blast"; I judge on the collective effort. If this can't be great then at least it could of been interesting.

knjcox
knjcox

This smells more masculine than unisex (IMO). Reminds me of "Irish Spring" soap.

suhaesa
suhaesa

this is a very light fresh au de cologne..is not overwhelmingly grapefruity..nor circuitry its just a faint beautiful soft dreamy fresh accord of subtle woodsy lightly green with hints of mandarin and light grapefruit..it smells like those colones you find in airplane bathrooms or even Johnson and Jonson baby blue cologne....
its not a bitter perfumes its a bit powdery with soft musky notes and white accords ..the notes say aromatic fresh spicy..but i find it so subtle..that i can hardly call it so ..
it dries down nicer than when it starts it becomes fuller more rounded..but to my nose its a bit annoying not as natural smelling as i would have hoped it to be..
but its a pleasant scent without the sole of grapefruit tough..

cologne
perfume ratting 3.5 out 5
bottle ratting 4 out 5
my personal liking ratting 3 out 5

raw umber
raw umber

Grapefruit is the perfect "morning" scent. It is dressed to the nines, briefcase in hand, checking the time and out the door to work. Look out, world... It's Grapefruit!!!

Um...okay.

This is one of the most masculine-leaning grapefruits I have experienced so far. That said, it is still totally unisex to me. The dry spice and transparent earthiness make it feel like a light, refreshing face tonic.

I could see Grapefruit layering beautifully or working as a light everyday office scent (provided that you enjoy grapefruit of course). It does not project very far, so that's also good for the office depending on where you work, and it's longevity is great for a JM.

Grapefruit stands out to me because unlike other masculine/unisex citrus oriented scents on the market today, JM shows us a natural-smelling rendition of notes and their relationships. It's not overly-simplistic but it also doesn't smell abstract or synthetic.

The ingredients and their relationship are signature Jo Malone. I can immediately detect the way in which Grapefruit is a cousin to Lime Basil & Mandarin, as well as Amber & Lavender. This ability to create distinct scents while maintaining a signature feeling throughout is to me, a sign of a strong identity and consistent quality.

The person who wears this by itself is not interested in a scent that evolves and transforms dramatically over time. This is just a pretty compliment to the skin. True to life citrus, a hint of pepper and some aromatic herbs.

If you feel "out of it" this will wake you right up, and lift your spirits. Good morning! Now get out there and make us all proud.

tourmali45
tourmali45

A shy grapefruit accompanied by melissa. This scent totally lacks the body - it's too unassuming to the point of being practically non-existant 10 minutes after applying. I sinserely believe that 10 minutes is not enough to experience the scent, so I'll skip on this.

cinnamonswirl
cinnamonswirl

A dry, invigorating grapefruit cocktail. I take a mini bottle of this with me when travelling, as a fragrance pick-me-up. It's good for feeling fresh and awake on a stuffy plane and not likely to offend others.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I really like Jo Malone's grapefruit cologne. This is surprising as zesty fragrances son't really suit me. This is a sparkling grapefruit, with hints of fresh mint and sweet jasmine. The cologne never fails to pick me up.

nancy920
nancy920

This really smells like grapefruit and mint. It's refreshing, but doesn't make me think anything. Usually fragrances remind me of something or take me to another place.

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

A good unisex work fragrance, long-lasting and strong, sharp-edged. I like this one more each time I wear it.

Lol48
Lol48

I got a sample of the body creme today expecting to get a wonderful zingy rush when I put it on. Instead I couldn't detect grapefruit at all and I was disappointed. To me it was very masculine, something I would give to my husband, with overtones of aftershave hence he now has it.

Hayven
Hayven

My nose is confused. I'm standing with my arms away from my face, and it smells a cologne on my body, the spices and vetiver prominent. I sniff my wrists, and they smell like a sugared grapefruit. The drydown is a spicy soap. I don't think I can pull it off.

katemcq
katemcq

I have to edit my review a bit because I've fallen in love with this one: The first fifteen minutes are blissfully grapefruity and not excessively sweet - really nice! Even the initial smell is somewhat complex, and the woodiness is spicy in my opinion - specifically, I detect cloves in this, but I seem to be the only one! There is a masculine hint in it, but balanced with warm florals. It is wonderful!

Jellybean
Jellybean

I love smell of a grapefruit, but in here it's quite sharp, dry and masculine. It's needing some serious sweetens and she-power.
Too strong, too much patchouli and mossiness. It's supposed to bring out the fruit in question not minimize its wonderfulness.
Grapefruit is a fruit not an opulent repulsive gas!
This is a grapefruit beast.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

I gave this 4 stars because I think it is a great man's fragrance when combined with Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise. I got a sample of this and several others from the Jo Malone representative at Bloomingdales.

Combined these two are a terrific scent for a man. Both of these now belong to my husband and as much as I didn't like them on myself I love the combination on him.

Kterhark
Kterhark

To me, Grapefruit is a cross between 'Mommy, why are you dusting with Pledge?' and my Dad's shaving cream. Neither, I might add, make for a nice addition before stepping out the door.

I read all of the reviews below before writing my own, and one phrase really jumped out at me: smells like old man. Yep, I agree.

Hmm... I'm not sure what the concept is behind this. I suspect its paprika thats causing the misstep, but in truth, it's probably how it all came together. Not a fave, to sum it up.

rainydays
rainydays

This is more green than a straightforward grapefruit smells to my nose. It's acidic and tangy, definitely for the citrus lover. To me it's upbeat and casual, definitely unisex. It was actually a little too masculine for my taste, but that's not to say I didn't like it. Good smell for someone who wants something natural and light.

lauracarrera
lauracarrera

My husband asked me what was I wearing as I smelled as "an old man" :(

jcastano
jcastano

The opening to this is very grassy and citric, think of a freshly peeled tangerine. It also may even come off as a spicy lemon but I suppose it's the grapefruit. If I had a way of describing the scent as the heart notes blend with the base, I'd say that this is a mix between D&G Masculine and Aramis Tuscany. Imagine the citrus wood base of D&G Masculine under the spicy, mossy, woodiness in Tuscany. It's clean yet spicy. Projection is moderate and longevity is around 6-8 hours. I wouldn't go as far as dubbing this unisex neither. It's far too spicy and woody for a female, or at least I would say. Although I encourage any age to wear what they'd like, I'd say this is ideal for an older gentleman 35+.

CourtrightHer

There are nine notes listed but all I get is Grapefruit! Which, is just fine with me. Nice in a one dimensional way.

Like most of the Malone collection, longevity is not to a strong point.

Since the Malone line is set up for blending I enjoyed it with Lime Basil & Mandarin.

Outside of Pomegranate, I find the Malone line not suited for date or night wear. They are mostly casual, pleasant easy to wear frags.

Not much more needs to be said. You get exactly what it says, Grapefruit.

sgiammic
sgiammic

Smells very very clean and pleasing. I say "pleasing" because it is not "pretty" or "beautiful" - it is very nice in a way that doesn't fit those words. I think this would genuinely work for men and women (often I think unisex fragrances are more feminine). Very nice citrus - mostly fruit but a bit of floral polishes it. It also has a fresh, pleasant element that reminds me of shaving cream. Unique and great for layering.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I really dont like grapefruit, the fruit, so this scent doesnt really agree with me, but, it can be mixed with Vanilla and Anise to soften both of them.
Frankly, someone else may have a better combo idea as I havent tried many of her fragrances, but this is the best combo i have for now

lilew

Love Jo Malone and was excited to try every kind. Favorite so far is Orange Blossom. The Grapefruit at first, really nice clean soapy smell. Then, all I could smell was marijuana and it would not go away. Brand new bottle from the store, just did not mix well with my skin. Would recommend testing out first.

fool.proof
fool.proof

too short-lived once on.

rheea oana
rheea oana

I was genuinely surprised I don't like this!
It's niche-I'm a snob-what went wrong!
I did , my nose gets exactly grapefruit peel and some soap, men's shaving soap-the old school stuff( which I loved).
The cologne is pretty linear no big surprise awaits at the corner -GRAPEFRUIT soap all the way!
All in all this is quite masculine, and pretty expensive IMOA!

After some time the scent sweetens a bit, maybe blending with the skin warmthness that results in a more musky-earthy freshness if that is even possible!
I can't even sense pimento or jasmine or mint or oakmoss , maybe all of those give the soapy impression I can't shake!
In some words: old school men's citrus shaving soap!

One word has always deterred me from adding any Jo Malone to my collection: cologne. Whenever I read that word I remember the vast reserves of body sprays that I already own and then pass over this house.

GRAPEFRUIT is certainly a pleasant linear woody citrus scent, which I have enjoyed wearing over the brief life of the contents of my sample vial, but it strikes me more as an aromatherapeutic fragrance than a perfume. Definitely unisex, and more woody to my nose than citrusy, GRAPEFRUIT is a very nice, yes, vetiver cologne!

lilew

Love Jo Malone perfumes but this one smelled like weeds on me. I like the Cherry Blossom the best so far.

midsummer
midsummer

As with all Jo Malone fragrances, this is a short-lived scent. However, the fresh, cheerful grapefruit scent is really pleasant. There really ought to be a category for woody-fruity scents, those that smell more like fruit trees than mashed fruit (like this one).

I like this one in combination with White Jasmine and Mint - it makes for a much more complex scent on my skin!

mocha43
mocha43

Got it as a sample. Smells like fresh grapefruit, very good quality. But one dimensional. I don't smell other notes at all. Fades quickly. I will probably layer the rest of the sample with another J.M.

CourtrightHer

Ok, here is the story; nice for a morning spritz either Spring or Summer.

Now don't expect it to hang around - fleeting!

Yes, this is a pleasant, sweet and a bit one demensional grapefruit scent.

Best paired with one of the other Malone's, like their Lime Basil & Mandarin Cologne. Now there's a nice duo!

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

I love the bitterherbalicious smell of grapefruit,after that it settles down mossy and lovely.It is like taking a refreshing bath.

sofiii
sofiii

Grapefruit starts with refreshing sweet grapefruit scent, which is somehow quite mono-toned, but still really nice.

Soon it smells more complex, cool, a little bit herbaceous, with a touch of sweet spicy. It reminds me of Dior Eau Sauvage for its sweetness, and 4711 Original Eau de Cologne for the iconic and classic cologne cleaness.

The dry down is nice, even more a non-offensive gentle comforting cirtrus.

Even though it smells less complex and maybe too flat in comparison with some other citrus theamed cologne; Grapefruit has something really simple and easygoing in it.
This will be really nice for summer.

Shyn's Release
Shyn's Release

This is crip and fresh smelling great unisex fragrance.Perfect for hot summer days it blends so easily with other JM fragrances too.

BronxBeauty
BronxBeauty

It's a very sweet, juicy grapefruit smell -- like Ruby Red. It's a bit unidimensional and not that long-lasting. If you're a grapefruit lover, it might do, but much more interesting for the lay person is the bitter grapefruit-stiff leather combo of Kelly Caleche.

So I say: JMG-- "Too much Tropicana."

Sterling Maiden
Sterling Maiden

I like Jo Malone Grapefruit for the entire fifteen minutes I can smell it on my skin. After that it's gone, and I'm not going to spend good money to smell nothing but air.

Too bad...it's great while it lasts.

fragrancefiend
fragrancefiend

Jo Malone Grapefruit is one of the top sellers of the line; possibly because it is unisex. It is clean, crisp, hardly any sillage so it would not offend any perfume sensitive co-workers or housemates. It is also one of my least favorite of the line (along with the equally popular Lime Basil Mandarin) because I don't find it particular unique, feminine or sexy.

I do enjoy it in the form of a shower gel or candle. Of the notes listed, I can certainly smell the grapefruit and tangerine, the rosemary and paprika and maybe a little oakmoss in the drydown (which is very faint).

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jo Malone Grapefruit fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jo Malone Grapefruit, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Grapefruit by Jo Malone. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Grapefruit by Jo Malone represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.