Designers » I-K » Aromatic Fruity « Groups

Pomegranate Noir Jo Malone for women and men

Pomegranate Noir Jo Malone for women and men
dislike

I have it: 684 I had it: 202 I want it: 327 My signature: 13

Pomegranate Noir Jo Malone for women and men Pictures Pomegranate Noir Jo Malone for women and men Pictures Pomegranate Noir Jo Malone for women and men Pictures

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone is a Aromatic Fruity fragrance for women and men. Pomegranate Noir was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Beverley Bayne. Top notes are raspberry, pomegranate, plum, rhuburb and watermelon; middle notes are lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, rose, pink pepper, clove, olibanum, opoponax and guaiac wood; base notes are virginia cedar, patchouli, musk and amber.

Raspberry Pomegranate Plum Rhuburb Watermelon

Comme des Garcons Series 2 Red: Sequoia

Pomegranate Noir Fragrance Reviews

Dean ja
Dean ja

I'm a guy and I love this fragrance on me during the winter months!

Lemon Lime
Lemon Lime

Pomegranate Noir offers a sort of tangy opening with plenty of peppery and fruity notes which I personally find impossible to distinguish. Especially the pomegranate which, as far as I know, has no particular odour. PN smells more like a (synthetic) fruit pulp to me, whose sweetness is nicely counterbalanced by plenty of pepper soon to be joined by a dry light smoky sensation backed by woody and earthy notes. This transition to a more "spicy - incensy" phase is what makes (imho) this perfume also wearable by a man.

Overall a nice and inventive scent with acceptable performance (considering its a Jo Malone), that impressed me a lot when I first tried it, but my initial excitement, unfortunately, diminished after several wearings.

Nicely done but . . . . forgettable.

shushkin
shushkin

This is dark, fruity and luscious. Its one of the most masculine fragrances I own but I can carry it off well. It has just the right amount of fruity/tartness but its the clove, cedar and resins who dominate in the end. There is just the right amount of oud to compliment the rhubarb and sweet pomegranate. Its not oppressive but you know its there. Its not very sweet but is perfectly unisex and balanced with the other notes. Very good longevity and the sillage is above average. One of the few Jo Malone fragrances to have decent longevity and sillage

HumesMistress
HumesMistress

Oh, I love Pomegranate Noir. It's an aromatherapy experience. If you like cedar, cloves and frankincense, you'll love this. If you hate them, you won't like it. The pomegranate is there, but it's a top note accent. At first spray I wasn't in love with this, it took about 12 hours to really grow on me. I find it to be comforting versus dark.

For me, Pomegranate Noir isn't as long lasting as the intense Jo Malone's in black bottles, but I still get many hours of wear from Pomegranate Noir on skin and ages on clothing. I'm happy, because Jo Malone's intense black bottle fragrances were all headache inducing scrubbers for me. I can spray Pomegranate Noir liberally, and rather than feeling overwhelmed, it just makes me want to inhale deeper. It's a deep woody scent, like finding a cedar chest filled with pomegranate, frankincense and clove incense, and it smells realistic. There's also a clean apothecary type vibe to Pomegranate Noir. It works well with Nivea Soft cream or the original Nivea too.

I layer Pomegranate Noir with: English Pear & Freesia, Mimosa & Cardamom, Nectarine Blossom & Honey and/or Red Roses. Any of these help to give top notes to Pomegranate Noir's woody medicinal base notes.

Totally unisex. Just glad I found this before my husband, because it's mine now. Ha!

Perfectashka
Perfectashka

Dark perfume, it will stay the longest from all Jo Malone, including Cologne Intense despite the fact this is not intense. Jo knew how to make perfumes! :) I had a bottle but gave it to a friend of mine who was visiting. At the time I thought I'd replace it but actually never repurchased this again. I guess my love towards this just vanished. Always can tell when someone else is using it, very distinctive.

AshLeigh512
AshLeigh512

I love Jo Malone fragrances and got this as a sample since I'm trying to figure out my next purchase. This was a complete miss for me. The top notes smell like bubble gum and are way too sweet. This fades fairly quickly and the base notes make their appearance. This smells so strongly of cedar, the scent immediately makes me think of Christmas time. I like lighter, sweet and clean scents and this fragrance is a total no for me.

kbrown7070
kbrown7070

What a gorgeous scent for the autumn and winter months! The luscious sweetness of deep red fruits is balanced by rich woods and warm spices; amber and patchouli deepen the fragrance even further. It makes me think of velvety dark roses, fruit and incense. I am a huge Chanel Coco fan and this scent gives off a similar heady, spicy vibe. And it lasts for hours, even overnight, on me. I love it.

Gwenz
Gwenz

Ohh, I love this, can't stop sniffing my wrist and back of my hand. Sensual dark fruits, cloves and cedar predominate, with the lighter fruity notes disappearing rather quickly. Lush, spicy and woody, goodness all round.
I can certainly see this as being useful for layering if you found it too strong, but I love it just as it is.

cristina_mtereko
cristina_mtereko

It is beautiful perfume , but unfortunately it doesn't last !
This is my first and last Jo Malone perfume , i will not be buying from her again, as i do not like perfumes that has no sillage

Fallstar
Fallstar

My bottle of Pomegranate Noir came in a gift set of innocuous miniatures – Orange Blossom, Grapefruit and Amber and Lavender. It certainly stands out amongst the squeaky clean fruit and flowers scents I associate with Jo Malone.

The opening is like spiced blackcurrant wine – dark red, sweet-sharp, fermented fruit warmed with a clove and pinch of allspice. There are other red fruits there too, including the titular pomegranate and perhaps plum.

The fruit fades into the background over time, though never disappears completely, as rose and spices and wood emerge more fully. There is a phase I don’t much like where clove is shrilly prominent, but it settles into a lovely woody musk with a hint of green (which the notes above identify for me as patchouli, though in this context I didn’t recognise it).

There is something rich, dark and a little animalic about Pomegranate Noir, from the musk and spice. Perhaps this explains its popularity – a wearable scent with a daring edge.

sahd0w
sahd0w

Very complex scent. The sillage is quite short, but when I catch a whiff of it on myself it perks me up. I don't know if I love it or not yet. It's pretty strong, so I wouldn't wear it all the time.

polly golightly
polly golightly

buono questo profumo dark con frutta e spezie, che vira verso sentori legnosi. la giustapposizione tra le prime note pungentissime di melograno e chiodi di garofano è per me molto originale. la piramide olfattiva, come capita alcune volte, cita una miriade di componenti disparatissime, ma il mio naso percepisce soltanto un'impressione di rabarbaro e di resine, per poi arrivare sul fondo legnosissimo. è una colonia non fresca ma gotica ed ha una persistenza media. niente male!

ccromer
ccromer

Not an initial favorite. the more I wear it, the more I appreciate it. It's one of the more complimented JM scents I've worn. The body creme is nice also. Smells just like the cologne but slightly creamier/smoother.

Fragrantnatic

To my tropical country nose, this is much too sharp and ultra heady. The minute after i sprayed tiny bits of this, i had two loud sneezes and a nauseous feeling, I had to go back to the bathroonm to wash it off me. Uggh... Sorry, might work for others but for me, living in a humid tropical country, this perfume just makes me sneeze and I do smell like a bar girl who is aging fast. Thank goodness I only had the sample vial!

SauvageHound
SauvageHound

Pomegranate Noir is somewhat reminiscent of d'Orsay's Le Dandy, though without its prominent boozy notes. PN opens with a rapid succession of fruits: rhubarb, raspberry, plum, and pomegranate. A flinty peppery note follows, with floral overtones finally darkening the fruit with hints of rose and clove. It is rich, warm, more complex than it at first seems, and surprisingly different. A winner.

Krysanthemum
Krysanthemum

Purchased a large bottle at Nordstrom several years ago. Wore it a few times then put it away after deciding it just missed the mark for me. I am a devoted fan of spicy orientals and was eager for PN to dry down to the divine base notes of cedar, patchouli, musk and amber. Couldn't quite get past the fruity notes, tho. Fast forward to now and I'm desperate to find a scent that won't disappear on my skin after a few hours. And there was PN, sitting quietly at the back of the perfume shelf in my closet. This time, I layered it over Elizabeth & James' Nirvana Black (roller ball) and voila! I could smell it hours later and it's lovely. The initial sharpness settled into a warm sexiness that stayed close but I could definitely smell it. Next layering adventure will be PN over Aerin Lauder's Amber Musk roller ball.

chanelnumerocinq
chanelnumerocinq

Smells like pine needle with an undercurrent of strange melon-like aquatic sweetness at first. In less than twenty minutes becomes very close the skin in projection. The next phase is only slightly fruity, amber detected, and still with a predominant pine-like woods and needles note. It’s final phase, which really takes less than an hour of wearing to reach, is mostly fruity but you really have to place nose right on top of skin to experience. Overall, the fragrance is bitter, unusual, and light. Jo Malone advertises Pomegranate Noir as unisex, while I agree, I feel it is more on the masculine side. Personally, I think it’s development and lasting power is much too brief, and projection too light. I tested whether it was better on clothes rather than skin, and yes it stronger there but I sense a watermelon note which becomes obnoxiously overbearingly sickly sweet. If you have tested this fragrance before, and feel that it is also too light for you, I recommend Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince. Without the watermelon note, but it is similar. Enchanted Forest is complex, interesting, and stronger.

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

I got a sample of this when I got another 30ml cologne, I would say I smell cloves straight off the bat wit this one but the dry down was more spicy and warm with a hint of woodiness. I do like this one but it isn't my favourite Jo Malone. I would say this is most definitely a unisex fragrance!

walking44
walking44

Much too sour. Unfortunately, I didn't find it very pleasant.

DtMeatball
DtMeatball

Not fruity like you would expect from a teenager-ish perfume, but dark and rich, like pomegranate molasses rather then the fresh sort. Woody notes from the clove, not overpowering but definitely the boss of this fragrance - once the slightly sweet top not dissipates you're left with a warm clove scent on the skin.

Oudy
Oudy

Hmmmm..let me list the notes that I detect in no particular order...their is certainly cloves right out of the gate...then their is cloves. And then the lovely subtle dry down of....you guessed it...cloves!...

Ok ok I know there is more to this lovely perfume, but to me it's mostly shades of clove. I get a little fruity sweetness here and there, and in the dry down cedar and amber make a warm appearance, but to my untrained nose those other notes are merely small passengers on the clove express...still, it's a beautiful trip.

Scent 8/10...if you love the smell of cloves (I do) then this is your perfume
Projection..8/10...strong for a jo Malone perfume...
Fortitude 6/10...strong for awhile, then dies off all of a sudden...

A really good and interesting offering from a " house" that excels in interesting scents. This one runs close to the front of the pack in my opinion

burgundyangel
burgundyangel

I have developed a love for intense, smokey, incense fragrance. This baby is a straight up night time sexy scent with sweet pomegranate peeking thru. Got the 5 Jo Malone miniature as a gift from my beloved sis, bought a full size of this soon after.

nero77
nero77

Complex, sweet, addictive...

This is such a deep and complex one. It's polarising too, as not everyone will like this I think. I personally received a bad compliment from it, but I don't really care, I like it too much!

The overwhelming notes here are cloves and fruits, mainly plum and pomegranate. I would describe this as a "dry" fragrance. It's not juicy fruit you are dealing with but dried berries. Like the smell of goji berries, if you have ever tried them. The smell reminds me of that.

So I get berries and dark fruits, mixed with incense and clove smoke. Like the smell of menthol or clove cigarettes actually. It is very mysterious. I like it.

I wouldn't recommend wearing it in any high heat, as it's very medicinal in some aspects and can come across as a little harsh and/or "weird". But again, I believe that every fragrance has a time and a place so... I will continue to wear it.

To me this is a love or hate. I love it, but try before you buy. This has a very "unique" smell so if you are looking for a smell which no one else will have, go for this. I would also say that pomegranate is a note I rarely see used in perfumery, and for Jo Malone to pair it up with cloves and incense offers a delicious, interesting twist on it all. I really like it, and the longevity is so good, at least six or seven hours. For an eau de cologne concentration (supposedly) this is quite a feat. Try it if you are looking for something different.

cologneblanche
cologneblanche

Try this with the Amber & Patchouli Cologne intense combination. It was recommended as a pairing, and wow, it's even more sensual and seductive! Just brings out all the right notes. It's a seriously sexy scent.

Whit
Whit

After being initially dismissive of this, I decided to try what was left of my sample again since it hasn't been as hot and humid. What a difference the humidity makes! I get more of the cloves, patchouli and woods. This is much better suited for low humidity, cooler weather, IMO. It gives the other spicy notes a chance to shine through. It does verge on the more masculine side, but I think women who prefer the more masculine scents will like this.

The pomegranate is slightly sweet at the start, but not overly so. Then the spices come into play. I mostly get the cloves, which give off an incense vibe and the woods. The patch is woven through the base and perfectly blended with the other notes. Very warm, sexy and cozy all at the same time. Thanks Jo Malone, I dig it!

It seems like every time I test Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir the scent changes. The first time I tried it, (possibly six months ago), it was quite juicy and heavy, now revisiting it the juiciness is no longer there and has been replaced by smoky woods, spice and a touch of sweetness.

I love Pomegranate Noir despite all the confusion. It's complex, sensual and luxurious all rolled into one. I would go so far to say that it's one of the best Jo Malone colognes, surpassing all others in both scent, projection and longevity.

I'm hankering for Jo Malone to make this fragrance an eau de parfum. Colognes annoy me and I don't see the point in them, especially seeing that you're paying so much as it is to own a 30ml bottle. This fragrance in a higher concentration would be perfection.

Pomegranate Noir can be worn by men and women alike. On my skin this fragrance opens with sour, rich pomegranate, sugary watermelon, fizzy pink pepper and a touch of smoky, spicy cloves. Further into the development the musk appears along with a heavy dose of Virginian cedar and earthy patchouli.

For a full-bodied pomegranate fragrance without a sugary and/or synthetic edge I definitely recommend Pomegranate Noir. Despite being cologne strength, on my skin this fragrance has moderate projection and around six hours lasting power.

Allen-at-home

WildDove: Yes, I knew I couldn't be the ONLY one who noticed a bit of Spicebomb in this. The drydown of Pomegranate Noir does remind me of Spicebomb.

WildDove
WildDove

Deep rich fruits, apple cider, mulled wine -- autumn and winter holidays in a bottle! Shades of Chanel Coco, Spicebomb, and TBS Smoky Poppy in Pomegranate Noir.

Lyoness
Lyoness

I smelled this for the first time the other day, and I was immediately repelled. I've been told that it's an acquired taste/smell, which I can understand since it was too strong on the first spritz. For me the clove element is too harsh and kind of makes the perfume smell like Mortein. I do like Jo Malone's other perfumes though, but I'm not sure if I am yet old enough for something so pungent.

MiaClaire
MiaClaire

I have several Jo Malones and this one is by far the most unique and least linear of her collection. I've never smelled anything quite like it. The first spray is unappealing -- cloves and anise assaulted me. I resisted the strong urge to wash it off and see what it settled down to. An hour or so later, the now softened smell had grown on me a bit. Then I decided to layer on a spritz of Pink Sugar, of all things, and that sweetness deliciously balanced the woodsy spiciness of the cloves and made for a mature, warm scent, perfect for a fall or winter day (even though it's Spring while I'm writing this). A little goes a long way, so use a light touch with this one and you might find it interesting. Definitely a unisex fragrance - I think it would be very sexy on a man.

Svezzy
Svezzy

I went into a few perfum shops and tried to find something similar...nothing.
This perfume is different from anything else, it took a while to settle down but it's simply amazing.
Just love it.

kumquat2
kumquat2

I love this! It's the first Jo Malone I've tried and wow, a winner right off the bat. It smells like Christmas to me, and that's a good thing. I don't smell cloves like many other reviewers; I smell the forest and cranberries and rhubarb and plums. Maybe pomegranate smells like that? I also smell raisins and spice and incense. It's all my favorites in one bottle! Good sillage, long-lasting. This cheers me up. Makes me feel the anticipation and almost holy feel of Christmas Eve night.
It's spring in L.A. but to me it's Christmas. Thanks, Jo!!

MLK
MLK

This fragrance takes a while to grow on you. Once it settles, it is a beautiful autumn, winter scent.
From reading many reviews below, I also did not like this fragrance at first try or even second and third try. It took me a while and a few tries to like it and I found mixing it with either wild fig and cassis or wood sage and sea salt made it really nice and lasted a long time on my skin. I'm now considering buying a 30ml bottle to have in my collection for blending with other Jo Malone fragrances - as they are intended to be mixed. If you hated this fragrance initially, give it a few more chances and have fun trying out different combinations. I'm glad that this fragrance finally grew on me and the dry down is amazingly sexy.

UPDATE!!: I bought the 100 ml bottle as I am now loving this fragrance in the cooler weather, it is a very sexy fragrance and I'm glad that I persisted and took the time to get to know this beautiful cologne.

tinaelisa
tinaelisa

Ohh I really like the dry down of this one, but I can not stand the harsh cloves in the opening. Luckily they leave the stage within the hour and what your left with is a fruity, medicinal and peppery dry down. Amazing. In the dry down it reminds me of Calvin Klein Euphoria (the original edp), but this one is a fresher version. And it also reminds me of Black XS for men by Paco Rabbane. I would buy a bottle but I have to figure out if I can get over the cloves in the beginning.

jimmorrison
jimmorrison

Beautiful & lasts all day. Peppery & clean :) A daytime scent and very womanly.

Allen-at-home

Pomegranate Noir has an awesome medicinal berry opening. I think the raspberry, plum, pink pepper, and pomegranate blend very well together. Some say it smells like Vicks Vaporub, and I don’t want to disagree because I have always liked Vicks! But Pomegranate Noir reminds me of Plum Japonais by Tom Ford, minus the cinnamon, and with a better foundation (base notes). I’m sure the patchouli helps to keep it from fading too soon, but I’m not sure what frankincense smells like. (For some reason, the drydown actually reminds me of Spicebomb, although I don’t think they share any notes.) Overall, Pomegranate Noir smells good! A unique, intoxicating aroma.

hazelnut

I truly wanted to like this, but perhaps some of my disappointment was due to being misled by the name. WHERE IS THE POMMEGRANATE!? I feel that fragrance would be more suited to a man. With all due respect, I would have named it Clove Catastrophe'. I could enjoy this outside on my patio to repel Mosquitos, just not on my body. Sorry.

hazelnut

WOAH!! Hold on! Not a shy, demure fragrance at all! This stuff SCREAMS! Something about this intrigues me and I keep going back and smelling it! First , I dont call this fruity. I smell fruit for the first few seconds like a train horn and thats it. Then there is this loud spicy-woody thing... knda like live concert music. At this point comes the cloves like pyrotechnics!! After that it mellows somewhat into a clove/amber/musk sensation that is like the neighbor playing his music and has the bass turned up so that you feel the bass but cant hear the music. You feel the beat, and sit there trying to imagine what song it is. Thats where I am with this. Never smelled anything like this. I'm still deciding, but I'll venture to say, its definately heavy metal.

aym
aym

This is very spicy and too masculine for me. It is spicy in the beginning and then all I get is cedar. Not for me.

Vintagegal
Vintagegal

LOVEEE THIS FRAGRANCE! Initially I didn't think I'd be interested because he was 'fruity' labelled and I hate anything floral or fruity, never liked it. That sweet annoying smell always rubbed me the wrong way. THIS however is pure perfection with a kick, it smells a little bit fruity at the start, it has a punch of pomegranate and mulled wine almost. Eventually (soon rather, 5minutes?) that fruity smell dies of and you're left with a beautiful scent- spicy, woody, mulled, unique, clove-like and also intense. I think spicy and woody suffices. Its simply gorgeous and addicting. Still with that hint of pomegranate lingering but nothing that will drive you crazy!

It depends how it sinks into your skin I suppose but it smells lovely on mine, think i'll be wearing it everyday!
I suppose men and women could wear it, but it smells much more feminine than masculine in my opinion. I would probably question a man wearing it lol.

scotrob
scotrob

Interesting that this is marketed as a fragrance for women and men, yet most of the reviewers are female. I was actually given a bottle of this by my mum who, although a fan of Jo Malone, felt this was too heavy and musky for her (she much prefers JM's Basil, Lime and Mandarin scent).

I really feel this is more of a man's cologne than a woman's perfume...it has a sweet fruitiness with notes of rhubarb raspberry, but there is sufficient amber and musk in there to add a sultry animalic heaviness which favours the male wearer. I have to say that I have had numerous positive comments when I wear this and as a fan of animalic, musky scents this fits well into my normal rotation. It also possesses a nice woodiness in the dry down which is something I always look for in a cologne. I am not entirely sure if I would rush out and buy another bottle but this is a great one to wear in the evening if you get the chance

midsummer
midsummer

This scent is really, truly different from the other offerings from Jo Malone.

This is a spicy fruity fragrance - imagine mulled wine with a LOT of cloves. Maybe even POM juice mulled with cloves. I'd categorize this as a gourmand fragrance for sure.

This scent is pretty good. . . but just isn't my style. I find it to be an interesting experience to wear, but not one that I would repeat every day.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

In the same family of warm spicy such as Feminite Du Bois, PM is a long lasting, sultry, easy to enjoy fragrance, that is boozy, red-feeling and juicy. The interplay of spice and fruit makes me think of Christmas, or being curled up close with a lover. There's a spontaneousness to it, but it's also refined. A well done cologne..

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

This is easily one of the best titles from Jo Malone. Very distinct, original and with good technical characteristics. So far this has been the Malone with the most longevity for me. The scent itself is very peculiar. Not really something I'd associate with pomegranate or any type of fruit really. For me the dominant note is not even listed above. It is crushed marjoram leaves! Yes, there is frankincense in the mix, a very strong tartness and a vague woodiness but the marjoram note is there from top to bottom. Very quirky stuff, not everyone will like it. I'd recommend it for try to those who like l'ombre dans l'eau from Diptyque.

me.four.real
me.four.real

Why can't I love this? ;( Smells like straight up cough syrup to me.

EDIT: I layered it with Nectarine Blossom & Honey and it's beautiful. The nectarine mellows it down and softens it. Not too strong anymore, and very much more wearable.

Hellokt
Hellokt

i really liked it. tried the lotion and it is fragrant and intensive. this is a winter and holiday frag which smells of holoday baking spices with an edge. more masculine than feminine to me.

aromatique
aromatique

I'd call this a complex floral with a lot of depth from the woody and spice notes; hence the 'Noir' in the name, I assume.

Normally I'm not a fan of the Jo Malone fragrances...they smell nice, but are too one note and not long lasting enough for me. This one is by far the best, and is even better layered with the bath oil. It lasts quite well; I'd say moderately long.

I first sampled this on a very warm summer's day. I found it unusual for the time of year and heavyish, and a number of people asked me what it was. I've yet to wear it in winter but I suspect the fruity notes won't come through as much and the base notes will be even stronger.

A good one to try if you like a floral with oomph.

katoy4
katoy4

The opening evokes the clove cigarettes that people used to smoke at a certain type of nightclub, the kind featuring a lot of black clothing and black eyeliner and moody music. And if one frequented such places while drinking a lot of fruity cranberry-vodka type drinks, there you have the 'noir' aspect of this scent - it is certainly less suitable for work. All that being said, I liked it especially after the initial bitter blast wore off.

julso22
julso22

this one is by far the most complex by jo malone. it is definitely a fall/winter fragrance. so good. this is one of my favorites but i do know some people who do not like so be careful of spraying too much

Sandra221
Sandra221

Really didn't work on me. I found it harsh and bitter, odd to pin down but certainly no pomegranate or fruit smell. Persisted but eventually sold it on eBay

alyssaprokup
alyssaprokup

Cloves, cloves, and more cloves. Bleck! I really wanted to like this one, but I got no pomegranate, no patchouli, no fruits at all. I wore it on several occasions, along with also layering it with different Jo Malone scents, but no matter what the cloves always stood out the most. Oh well :(

FTW Nose
FTW Nose

I use this layered with other fragrances, my favorite being blue agave and cacao. I don't think I have ever worn it alone to Make a great review. It smells like pomegranate :-)

My Score: 6.5
My Score:9.5 with BA & C

Melyche
Melyche

This is the best among the other Jo Malone fragrances that I've tried so far. The most I pick is the sweetness of dark fruit notes-heavily pomegranate. Impossible not to get clove though. I would name it "the dark side of sweet" because it's not any other sweet-fruity fragrances. It has something different. I don't know what happened to other notes but like you guys voted pomegranate and clove are pretty dominant. Woodsy notes are noticeable but very slightly.
First of all it's not something refreshing. It's heavy! Longevity is also good. There is one thing that makes me think : when to wear? This is not a thing that I wear for a night-out-maybe for a simple dinner. However, this is pretty strong for day time. even though I pretty much use anything anytime. Then, I thought it might be good for day time in winter. Nevertheless I like it.
By the way I have a suggestion but it might sound ridiculous. If you're suffering from lack of appetite, that might be a perfect thing to wear. Admittedly it got me really hungry. I felt the same effect of red wine. In fact, It smells like sweet red wine a little. I don't know. I could be wrong though. Try it for yourself.

Silkpuppet
Silkpuppet

As a teen, I really enjoyed fruity scents, but gravitated toward gourmand/spicy orientals in my 20s. Pomegranate Noir does a lovely job of synthesizing my two fragrance loves. The initial spray of this perfume is very lush and definitely opens with the fruit notes. Then the plum and pink pepper notes defer to the patchouli and frankincense, making for a cozy, sensual drydown. I almost get a vetiver note once the fragrance has settled into my skin. I adore this as an evening fragrance; it is very sultry and has enough earthiness to balance out the pomegranate and raspberry.

That said, after working for a fragrance house, I am very aware of synthetics in my perfumes. Unfortunately, this causes Pomegranate Noir to have a very generic BBW quality for me. Synthetics aren't necessarily indicative of poor quality in perfume. In fact, some notes can only be produced synthetically. It's just that after one's nose has been trained to enjoy natural fragrance essences, it is hard to go back. Also, I do not find that this fragrance lasts on my skin.

helenofwalnut
helenofwalnut

I love this scent! It smells like dewy grass on a warm summer evening or a walk through the woods on a warm day. Very fresh, natural, earthy and rich. The longevity is not great, but I don't mind that. It may be the cedar I am smelling - I can't really tell.

I think either men or women could wear this equally well. A very well designed unisex fragrance. Wonderful!

Strappyshoo
Strappyshoo

I went to JM the other day and stocked up on a bottle of 154. They put in a sample of PomNoir which I squirted whilst having coffee after and I was so blown away that I went back to the store and swapped the 154 for it! This is totally not my typical kind of fragrance, in fact I tested it years ago and loathed it! I'm more of an aromatic citrus sort of girl but, I have to say, there's something about this that I really like. It is VERY fruity sweet crazy bonkers at the opening but then starts to change into something more aromatic and subtle and interesting. It is an unapologetic, happy, extrovert who, once you get to know them, you find is calm, warm, sophisticated and comforting. An excellent buy, but I would not advise blind buying, you have to test this first. Is also fantastic layered with JM Grapefruit to cut through the sweetness and add a cleaner edge.

Germany
Germany

I can't do this one. I tried to like it as it is nice and quite popular amongst the Jo Malones.
I find it to be a great opening and smells of true pomegranate ! I do not find this masculine nor overly feminine. Its a hard scent to describe. It's more like a room freshener than a perfume. I have a hard time with it. I smell iron ? ...... As I said the opening is super fruity and nice but it soon turns into something I cannot do. I can't even describe it but its funky and unpleasant. Then after hours it turns amazing again and it stays amazing. And lasts for ever. And it lasts and lasts and lasts ,,,,, some Jo Malones are very strong and last for days. This is one of them. Others flee in a few hours.
Amazing opening !
Super odd middle !
Wonderful dry down.
Not for me :(
Update , smelled this one someone and totally loved it! May have to give it another chance ! But as I mentioned before , the dry down is a winner here anyways. It's just the middle stage I find different. But I may get over it ! Or maybe it need to be combined with another ! ?

A dark fruit scent with woody base notes that make it a bit harsh. Thin and not very layered or dense for a scent with this many strong base notes. I'd like it to smell more like it's description and less like a body splash from BBW

joan100
joan100

I was trying out some Jo Malone fragrances today and this one somehow prompted me to spray it all over myself so I can smell like this all day! You wouldnt think that pomegranite and cloves or raspberry/watermelon and balsalms would mix but hey this one blends beautifully to create a this delicious and unique scent!

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

What a beautiful shimmering incense! It's intoxicating and subtle at the same time, totally beautiful. I think this is one of those rare incenses that could be worn in the summer.

I get a lot of plum and raspberry in this, not so much pomegranate... I wish the sweetness was toned down a bit though. I love sweet, but I didn't like the way the sweetness asserted itself here, it felt too insistent, and gave the impression of simplicity, and not in a good way. If the fruits were mellower or turned less chemical, I'd wear this often.

I do like wearing this though on occasion, if only to enjoy the gorgeous incense. It's maybe good to enjoy it while waiting for the water to fill the tub, lighting candles, and doing all the small things for preparing for a luxurious bath. Then before it gets too sweet or chemical on me, I can smother it with hot water. :-)

drlaurel
drlaurel

Loved the beginning and the middle and agree with most of the eloquent writers below but in the end it sweetened to a chemical smell in the drydown. Longevity medium. I like these when I spray them on clothes b/c the sweetness happens less.

susan1326
susan1326

Wanted to love it, and did love the initial blast. Then it turned to cigarette ashes. Not for me.

Fragrantnatic

the initial spray is to say the least, intoxicatingly bomb-in-the-nose kind of scent, to me its a very heavy and "old" kind of scent. I wasn't expecting this since its mainly POMEGRANATE as listed by so many fragranticans. This is by far one of the most unique scents I've come across with. Do I like it? No I don't.Sorry not for me.. :(

marekkalinowski
marekkalinowski

very nice frag. the dry down after sort of 30 min smells like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, which i adore. i found a substitute for it . lovely.And longevity is forever too. Enjoy wearing it. 9/10

lisa.flynn.399
lisa.flynn.399

I really like this fragrance. I love frankincense and spicy scents so this is right up my street. Although I adore it it does have a slight air freshener vibe to it- albeit a very classy air freshener. Reminds me of Christmas and winter.

It's different to the many sweet and vanilla based fragrances that I smell everywhere. I wore this to work recently and a friend commented on how different and unusual it was- she thought it was nice but not something everybody would wear/like.

Definitely one of my winter pick me up fragrances.

Doc Blue
Doc Blue

All I got was a blast of mentholated cloves and strange note remniscient of my mom's balsamic salad dressing. Not for me.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

My bottle of "Pomegranate Noir" has run out -I bought it 5 years ago. I'm not so sure I like it as much as I did, since my tastes have changed, but I do remember it garnered more compliments and questions than any other fragrance I've worn.

That probably has a lot to do with the sillage. This stuff is deceptively potent. It's also not especially masculine. The top notes are bright and fruity: A syrupy mixture of pomegranate, raspberry and watermelon which have an almost "berry liquor" accord (indeed I recall a girl I worked with commenting that the room smelled vaguely like alco-pops..."someone must've hit the booze last night". I didn't tell her it was me).

The juicyness is sombered by a musky incense base, faintly spiced with pepper. The florals, to me, are barely detectable. Overall it is like sweet, spicy smoke that gets progressively more woody as the alcohol burns off. For sure an intruiging smell and, I guess on a man, probably demands more interest since it's so unconventional.

ErinBerry
ErinBerry

People people...

The spicy/smoky/camphorous top note you're smelling is BLACK CARDAMOM. Not cloves, not peppercorns or anything else. It's black cardamom. If you don't believe me, I challenge you to find some and prove me wrong!

Anyway, this is a wonderful smell. It opens with pure black cardamom giving way to this wonderful exotic fruityness.

I applaud the perfumer for making a true hermaphroditic scent here instead of a neuter one like with most unisex smells...

Englishrose77
Englishrose77

I agree with most of the review below by Jackson Spines but as a woman I don't find this particularly masculine. I could definitely see this on both women and men. I love Jo Malone fragrances, and Pomegranate Noir is a standout for the intensity and richness of this cologne. It's beautifully complex, a lovely concoction of cloves, cedar evergreens, and rich, juicy pomegranate. It's smoky and rich, an absolutely mesmerizing fragrance. I am incredibly drawn to it; it has a very warm, comforting effect. This is one of the very few heavier Jo Malone scents, but not at all overwhelming; just very intense. Nobody should be complaining that this doesn't last through the day. This is a scent for both men and women, but as a woman I would prefer it for the fall and winter months; on a man, I think it would work year round. A very sexy, seductive, yet clean fragrance; very bracing. A little will go a long way. This cologne will definitely leave an impression; it's not the least bit shy. A very impressive fragrance.

Guest_Jackson Spines
Guest_Jackson Spines

This has become my favourite fragrance by Jo Malone. I put off trying it for so long because I was scared I was going to hate it. I had read reviews on it months ago and they didn't shed the greatest light on it. When Autumn finally came around I decided it would be a good time to finally test it out. Let me first say that Jo Malone fragrances have really good lasting power on my skin and this one is no exception. Two sprays on my chest does me all day long and when it's time to go to bed, I can still smell it. The pomegranate, clove and wood is what stands out on my skin. It combines into something dark, mysterious and sexy with a slight edge to it. Love at first sniff! It just feels "special." I know this is considered unisex but to me this seems more masculine and better suited to a man. I will happily wear this throughout the long, cold, Canadian winter!

meow1900
meow1900

I think you have to have the right nose for this scent. You either love it or hate it. It's just a very intense wintery scent. Very spicy and reminds me of Christmas and those scented pine cone things they sell during Christmas season, but with a bit of sweetness. It's not an awful scent, but it's just not for me. On me it smells kinda dirty and cheap. Also I'm pretty sure I've smelt a fragrance like this before so it's not original to me at all. Plus the price is just outrageous. Most of jo Malone fragrances are hyped up and have no originality to them except for maybe the white jasmine and mint scent.

plaintain1
plaintain1

Tried this several but can't seem to get my nose around this one. I think out of all the perfumes I have, this has to be the worst. It just has a weird smell.

Scentsofwellbeing
Scentsofwellbeing

I am not joking, this smells exactly like Vicks Vapor Rub! Yuck, it has a chemical medicine smell to it. Moving on..

The moment I applied Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir, I thought immediately of Gandini Melograno ed Incenso (Pomegranate and Incense). It's a dead ringer! I see that more than a dozen testers have made the same connection in the "reminds me of" log, above.

The same tart fruitiness combines with woody incense in a dark and inviting and surprisingly complex cologne. Both compositions are listed as cologne strength, but both have eau de parfum longevity, no doubt because of the tenacity of the incense itself, to which everything else seems to cling.

Which do I prefer? I'll go do a side-by-side test and report back...

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

Pomegranate Noir is so much fun!!! It has a fruity kick but doesn't make me smell like a fruit salad, and it has that mysterious, lingering quality that the base notes give it. It is not "girly" but it isn't "old lady" either. It is well balanced so I can wear this alone or I can layer it with Nectarine Blossom and Honey, which tempers the Pom with its floral qualities and helps both fragrances last all day (I apply the Nectarine over the Pomegranate). I didn't care much for most of the other Jo Malone scents, they were either too masculine for me or too soapy smelling, but the Pom Noir and the Nectarine came alive on me (Wild Bluebell is nice, too, but I need to layer it with another fragrance otherwise it has no staying power). Very nice.

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

I've been a Pomegranate Noir fan for a few years and never tire of it. I now prefer the body cream to the cologne - it's so luxurious, it lasts longer and my clothes smell gorgeous too! Try mixing with Blue Agave and Cacao or Wild Fig and Cassis. Yummy!

paula02
paula02

This is one you should try a few times before buying, i wasn't sure at first but now i love it. Wear this one when you want to feel pulled together and in control. I don't think it's overpowering, but it is present and demands to be taken seriously. i don't think i have smelt anything quite like this one, so you would stand out wearing it (in a good way).

george26
george26

This has been a signature of mine for at least five years. It is absolutely not for the faint hearted or any shy and retiring types. Love it or hate it you can't ignore it. Pom noir is rich, dark, woody and not a little mysterious. At first spritz there is a rush of dry red fruits followed almost immediately by clove and pepper. The base notes of woods, patchouli and musk come through after about 20 mins and are still making a statement 6 to 7 hours later when combined with shower gel and body lotion. I get no hint of anything floral or sweet anywhere in the life of this scent which suits me. Something in my body chemistry turns floral to stale flower water. Anyone who knows fragrance recognises pom noir, it is undoubtedly a classic and deservedly so in my opinion.
Try combining with Blue Agava and Cacao for a warm evening vibe, this works for both men and women. A fresh combination with Nutmeg and Ginger is great for day, if you dare!

dame piglet
dame piglet

On opening, this fragrance is an explosion of red berry. Not long after, patchouli takes over and makes it a mature and slightly tart fragrance.

When I first tried it, it reminded me of something else, so I showered to wash it off and try a side-by-side comparison. I really couldn't make a good comparison because the patch stayed on my skin even after the shower and an additional scrub.

If you are seeking a berry fragrance with a kick of patch, but don't want the patch to be quite as strong, (and your budget doesn't allow for Jo Malone prices,) I suggest Forbidden Euphoria. If you want very sweet, spicy and super cheap, try the drugstore dynamo Sexiest Fantasies Fireworks.

Be well & happy sniffing!

urbanexotic
urbanexotic

I wonder if the test sample I received from the perfume counter has turned? All I'm getting from this is strong stinky patchouli and something rotten. Mind you, I like a nice sweet patchouli, but this is all dirt and wood. Sad to say, the sample I'm wearing smells like a pomegranate that has fallen off the tree, rotted on the ground, been peed on by a cat, and then scooped up and put in a cedar chest to desiccate.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

This first time I smelled this was one a tester strip and I totally did not expect it to be as spicy or woody as it was. I expected it to smell a fragrance that was rich, voluptuous, and a little on the darker side yet still a little sweet...After testing it on my skin I was happily surprised, because I found a scent that I like and is unique, a great change from what I usually like to wear.

Pomegranate Noir is a heavier smelling scent from Jo Malone, I do get the boozy pomegranate like others have mentioned. However, I feel that the woods and the spices are the main show. Its has a strong clove note which was a little too much at first, but turns out to be pretty good. On my skin this has a smoky woody vibe that is quite strong and lasts for a little more than an hour. After that the fragrance calms down again and patchouli pops up the pomegranate manages to reemerge in a subtle way. It is actually a little difficult for me to describe this scent in detail. Its pretty complex and blended very nicely for a Jo Malone fragrance.

It is a little more on the masculine side on my skin, but I actually like it. However, I do still consider this to be unisex. The lasting power is also pretty good on my skin, but it does become a pretty light scent after 4 hours but it hangs on and manages to linger all day/night. Its a great for fall and winter, but it would also work if applied lightly in the spring and on cooler summer days/evenings.

Other than that I do really like Pomegranate Noir I haven't quite smelled anything like it before. I'm glad to have this one in my collection because I love how the woods and spices blend together. Try it out if you get the chance you might get a pleasant surprise like I did. ^_^

Btw, it also layers nicely with Nectarine Blossom and Honey. I'm not the biggest fan of layering scents, but it was quite nice.

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

maymaysavan:
Buy the one that you wanted from the beginning, or the one you are thinking of the most :)

maymaysavan
maymaysavan

i love the concept,the name that says "noir" already buy me!.but at first what i smelled is something when you mixed aspirin and some bug sprays mixed with freshener from old car...but i really want to have this scent in my JM collection..so what did u guys think?...in my country they have this,blue agava,wild fig & cassis which one should i get first?!!!

redliz
redliz

Smells amazing, but like most Jo Malone scents it doesn't last long!

evesoho
evesoho

In her perfume Red Roses, I think it is genius how Jo Malone can take a note like rose and illuminate it to the high-pitched brightness of a glare on glass. In Pomegranate Noir, she does the opposite. To me, this is certainly as "noir" as fruit could ever get... like a black cherry inside a handmade dark chocolate truffle. On one hand, Pomegranate Noir does remind me of men's aftershave, but on the other hand the dominant pomegranate note is unmistakeably fruity, juicy and even slightly floral. Pomegranate is a fruit that is closer to berries and apples in its odour profile than fig or litchi, for example. The overall effect of the high-quality, simple design of this perfume smells rosy to me. A woman could easily layer this scent, as I do, with another Jo Malone, but I'd like a man to wear it alone. I wouldn't be able to smell Pomegranate Noir on him without thinking of the twilight sky, and what goes on beneath it.

Caist
Caist

Striking, Dark, Clarity with Tartness

(GET THE FRAGRANCE CHRONICLE (Annual Lmtd Edt), ITS WONDERFUL)

I almost always get a compliment with this one, and it mixes well with a lot of my other fragrances. But Jo Malone is such a layering line (money money money in some peoples opinion, fun and classic layering techniques for the self pampering) that I find a lot of my customers disappointed at how long the colognes themselves last. This one however proved genuinely well-rounded. I loved how long it lasted and the impact it made with my chemistry, if Tom Ford Black Orchid was a failure (in a "having whiplash from one turning it's head away" kind) try this one out if you want that dark and sexy feel with 'just' enough kick.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

I have once tasted a promegranate fruit and when i tested this one, i was confused because it tossed off the preexisting gustatory memory i have on the fruit. This is a very interesting presentation of the promegranate as it is very lush, woody yet dark. The clove, patchouli and pink pepper combination gives me this heavy camphorous smoky cloud of sensual mystery. This and the strong promegranate leaves PN a gothic and deep frag one with such taste could enjoy. Rate: 7.5/10

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Just tried it on me this morning from a little test bottle. I like it fine on a card but, wow, not on me!

It's too perfumey, too fruity, too feminine, too I don't know what. Too much pomegranate, too little noir, I guess. I smell like a 6' 4", 260 lb. fruitcake! Not for me at all. I had to live with it the rest of the day. Phew.

I gave the remainder to my visiting daughter, who liked it... until she realized that it reminded her of a particular scented hamster bedding! :)

antfarm
antfarm

Not a winner. Aftershave and cauliflower with a dash of cinnamon, just to make things festive. No pomegranate. No noire.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I am having a difficult time with this scent. My BF loves it, he said it smells like woody cedar, pine, and cloves. Smells wonderful on him with his ugh man sweat. On me it smells like cloves and that's it. Like cronai said, it reminds me of sitting in the dentist chair while they put that numbing agent in your mouth.

Does anyone know if I can layer this with something?? I tried with White Jasmine and Mint which I hate and have a big bottle of and it was no good. Someone help.

Update:
Thank you Heather for the suggestion to layer with the English Pear and Fresia. I will have to get a bottle and try. I did however try to layer this with Lavanila Vanilla Grapefruit and it smells delish (I don't like either one seperately, but together it's wonderous).

Blue_Lady_Jane
Blue_Lady_Jane

Very different! I feel a little ditzy in that I don't remember what pomegranate even smells like. Eaten about 5 in my life just for the novelty of it....
So onto this fragrance, smells very medicinal! Like those muscle rub oils (that I love sniffing). Also does smell like Vicks. So do I want to smell like someone limping around with a sports injury who is also coming down with a cold??? Well I'll shoot from the hip, regardless of these similarities I really do like this!
I've only bought a phial sample, but am keen to wear it properly and feel all the different evergreen layers lurking beneath. Complex, unique & very long lasting!

paradinas
paradinas

I have a real lone hate relationship with this, every time I try it I hate the first half hour.

I cannot take the deep woody tones, but then when it settles, wow, so fruity but with a deep spice that makes it so grown up and beautiful.

I sprayed lightly on hours (over six) ago and I am still getting the sweetness of pomegranate with hints of spicy warmth with a touch of wood.

forgot to add: when my husband wore it it was amazing, the clove was softened in a way which I couldn't achieve from the off.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A very pretty, attractive scent. I love the balance of sweet pomegranite and the spice of clove, cedar and guaicawood.

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

On my skin, I get the notes rushing in alright, but backwards! Intense clove, then cedar first... later in the day the pomegranate and berry. It's very long lasting and yes, a cozy scent - it's just that this feels more masculine to me because of all that clove. I think it would smell fab on the husband and I would enjoy it more. All day I felt like I was locked in a cedar chest.

hithereimdan
hithereimdan

Sour and bitter. Not exactly a people-pleaser! But, hey, dare to be different.

cronai
cronai

I bought this as part of a six fragrances set and this is its black sheep. Not good at all! It smells like something your dentist could use to treat a sore tooth.

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

Very different from the other Jo Malones I've tried, but not in a good way... this reminded me very much of the cheap drugstore cologne Tabu. I did not get 'fruity' at all, mostly overwhelmed by patchoulli. Will not repeat the experience--two thumbs down.

Most of all I feel the pomegranate note in this fragrance. I wouldn't say that it smells unnatural, just not too alike with a real pomegranate scent. It doesn't seem to me intensive or spicy. And it doesn't seem to me interesting enough.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

got a sample forever ago and FINALLY got around to trying it today. net-net, it smells FANTASTIC. i won't retread the notes. the BAD NEWS though is that like the dozen or so other Jo Malone juices i've sampled, it has the lasting power of a Higgs Boson.

Jellybean
Jellybean

boozy dude is my first impression:/
that's what cloves and pomegranate mix smells like.
pepper and pathcouli are quite intense here as well.
cloves and sour fruit for the drydown part, something I could possibly use to spice my tea with.

CitiBelle
CitiBelle

I have just got a sample of this, my expectations were high, I just got pepper, pepper and more pepper with a rather harsh overtone. The dry down was a lot better and it has long sillage. I think I shall keep this and try it again in autumn/winter. Perhaps it just doesnt suit my skin type. I think I would probably like it on a bloke.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

I love this, this much|______________(O_O)________________| it's such a unique fragrance deff. a stand out of the Jo Malone's && I do get the coziness people state it's also very memorable I can almost smell it when I think about it. It's funny how many people just relate this fragrance to winter...yes...it's spicy && perfectly fine on it's own too...but Jo Malone's fragrances are made so that you can mix them && this mixed with something not so wintery like the Nectarine Blossom && honey is a whole nother story && suitable whenever or at least a nice summer night of going out, but ugh those two mixed are so heavenly so very tantalizing && so very sexii, && I even received a compliment of "You smell really f*cking good" which I quite liked LOL! Ugh I must say Jo Malone has become my new obsession each fragrance is so wonderful in its own way && this is no exception of a masterpiece! :)

Hayven
Hayven

I smell a warm, boozy pomegranate. It definitely reminds me of the winter holiday season and lighting incense on a cold winter evening. I'd have to say that it's quite different than the other Jo Malone fragrances, it is bold in such an unassuming bottle.

jventura489
jventura489

I'm new to pomegranate in fragrance, and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised about this one. The pomegranate is warm and inviting, it smells minty at first then slowly dries down to a sweet and spicy warm scent. I haven't had the chance to wear it for a full day but look forward to during the fall / winter months as the scent would suit those months perfectly.

Aspendina
Aspendina

this smells exactly like a xmas tree to me I LOOOOVE this, its gonna be my new xmas/winter scent.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Pomegranate noir goes on with a tea + vetiver vibe (I guess that is the guaic wood/clove, given that vetiver is not in this fragrance) – very smoky and dark. There’s a little bit of the menthol note, but not Vap-O-Rub strength, a little cherry, and an exclamation or two from the pomegranate. As time goes on, it becomes a barely-fruity spice with a hint of menthol. In four hours, the dark fruits dominate, and in six, the scent is hanging on by the barest of musks. While interesting at the beginning, this is too much on femme side for me. It would knock men dead if worn by a confidant woman, though.

dkny27
dkny27

Thought from the title of the fragrance this would be a fruity spice. I had no idea this was going to be so deeply sultry and complex. The top started off with patchouli on me but quickly changed into an earthy, almost menthol pine and cedar but with so many layers of bitter and sweet pomegranate. I cannot keep from smelling my wrist as it keeps evolving. Amazing fragrance!!

johngreenink
johngreenink

I really enjoy the contradictions of this fragrance. The bottle promises something light and refreshing, but this is actually a rather deep scent. The fruits are all there in force, but underneath is a strong triplet of musk, cypress and patchouli. However, this combination works very well - it's rich and thoughtful. I have a suspicion that this fragrance took a long time to create; it's got that three-dimensional quality that defies the first fruity blasts when you put it on.

I think this is a great scent for someone in mid-life (30's - 50's) who are not ready to completely give up fruits and gently sweet-smelling scents. It's perfectly unisex and works well for males and females. It may be a bit too gourmand for some, but give it a chance... it has a complexity that suits the brilliant assault of the senses in Spring.

tbozzo
tbozzo

I sprayed while getting dressed this morning, and at first picked out some fruit and a very soft patchouli. I thought to myself, this one might be a Jo Malone that I actually like.

Then about 10 min in it started to change. I got a distinct impression of Noxema from the 70's. Is that menthol? Camphor? Eucalyptas? Regardless, I took my son to kindergarten today feeling like those around me thought I may have some skin condition I was medicating.

So now I am about an hour and a half in, and though that medicated smell is still half present, the fruit is kind of starting to peek through. All in all it's not an unpleasant smell, but not one I want to smell like. I have tried a few Jo malone's and as of yet I don't understand the hype or the hefty price tag.

pob75
pob75

My girlfriend sometimes uses this.
The first time I smelt it she had sprayed some on her scarf accidentally. She spent the whole day smelling of toilet cleaner. It was really astringent and almost painfully jarring. Very unpleasant and really quite off putting.
When she sprays it sparingly on her skin it starts off smelling like toilet cleaner and although it never completely loses this note it does then dry down to a more pleasant fruity warm and quite complex fragrance. Nothing special though - especially considering the price.
I'm not a big fan of this at all but I must say she loves it, it makes her happy and it lasts well. Shows just how subjective fragrances are.
I'd advise that you don't blind buy this, only use it sparingly and NEVER SPRAY IT ON YOUR CLOTHES - it never develops its nicer qualities if you do.

SanDiegoNose
SanDiegoNose

My mom died Monday afternoon. I took off work Tuesday and didn't know what to do with myself...so I went perfume shopping/sniffing just for the comfort of it. I ended up talking with the salesman at the Jo Malone counter for at least 20 minutes. He gave me samples of probably 8-9 perfumes and some grapefruit-scented cream (more like body butter, very creamy). He said that it's best to put some lotion or cream on your skin before spraying with perfume. If skin is hydrated, the perfume has something to adhere to and will last longer. If your skin is just dry, the perfume will evaporate and disappear more quickly. (I hadn't known this, so I'm sharing...) That evening, at bedtime, I put on some of the grapefruit cream and sprayed the pomegranate noir over it. I made myself a cup of tea and got in bed to read before sleep. I loved the scent -- there's a hint of something cinnamony, a little like those scented branches they sell during the holidays, but more delicate, and blended with a fruity, clear pomegranate note. I sprayed a bit of the grapefruit scent over the pomegranate and it added a nice spark of citrus - it smelled clean and spicy and very pleasant, and put me in mind of of past holidays with my mom. That, and a flannel nightie, and tea with milk, made me feel comforted and cozy.

my2spritz
my2spritz

The whole time it smelled like Sea Breeze astringent. I waited for it to turn in to something else, but it didn't.

I must add, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it, I could appreciate the scent, it was very interesting to study, I could pick out several of the listed notes. I think it's blended well, smooth, it wasn't a jarring Sea Breeze.

Lasting power on me wasn't that great, after 2 hours I had to sniff really hard to detect anything, after 4 hours I feel pretty confident saying it was non-existent.

shoreshells
shoreshells

I'm very disappointed in the fragrance and I don't think I'll be buying any Jo Malone fragrances anytime soon. I purchased the shower gel, cream and fragrance (I'm glad it came in a set and I got the mini's of all). Although I love the smell, nice and smokey; it lasts for about 2 hours after using the gel, cream and fragrance. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem with this line; but if you have, I'd like to know.

cryptic
cryptic

Pomegranate Noir is atypical of the Jo Malone line in that it strikes me as more of a stand-alone fragrance than a tool for layering. The scent itself reminds me of a great dessert I love that consists of macerated berries, balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper. There is nothing like the complexity of good balsamic vinegar aged in different woods, and PN is reminiscent of that feeling, with the combination of cedar, guaiac wood and patchouli.

Very unisex, and perfect for fall. Goes great with suede, red maple leaves and the smell of woodsmoke.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

Being a sucker for slim down to earth sales reps who act completely oblivious to their beauty AND who are rediculously helpful AND beautiful AND... you catch my drift, i tried this yesterday. The sales rep sprayed a few on me and i was going to buy a different one ( cant remember the name and am away from my purchase that has the samples of the ones sprayed) until she said "let me try one more thing." I smelled it, and said ring me up.

O
M
G

I mean, I just really got into fragrances heavily 2 years ago. I just exhausted my dept store typical stuff and branched off into the popular niche stuff like Creed and Bond so encountering a whole new fragrance house was out of the question. Well i smelled this stuff yesterday and i was BLOWN AWAY. I was awaiting my contacts to get downloaded into my new Iphone and i was sampling Chanel Blanche. I forgot all about that stuff and bought this right at the dept store. I didnt care about discounts... people i knew who could get me a better price. I had to have it.

luvs2crooz
luvs2crooz

I just tried layering this with Red Roses. Very nice.

JohnMc
JohnMc

First off, this is gonna probably sound pretty silly, but I tried this in the shop purely on a whim (not intending to purchased any fragrance that day) and without trying on my skin first, purchased a 30 ml bottle. Needless to say I got home and tried on my skin and found it too overpowering and too reminiscent as another reviewer has stated of "Christmas incense-type candle smell". I shall give it to my Mother as an unexpected gift, safe in the knowledge that the maxim "try on one's skin before you buy" is a truly important (and economic) one!

cpk
cpk

It is one of my all time favourites. eMCizzle try layering it with Amber and Lavender or 154 (although I don't see this one listed here)

eMCizzle
eMCizzle

I'm wearing this for the first time today (at work). Smells like festive potpourri air freshener. I don't care. Maybe if I wear it more often, I'll come to like it more. Perhaps it would be good layered with another Jo Malone fragrance?

Does anyone know what this would be good layered with, for a guy?

sablebombe
sablebombe

Dark, smoky, woody ..... pomegranate molasses, pomegranate wine. Spice, winter, Christmas, dried squidgy figs! All of this comes to mind and more!

Patchouli usually gives me a headache if heavily scented - but this is just the right level - there but not too nose powering!

This is lovely, definitely one for the winter (or very dark evenings) tho!

I would love to bath in this scent on a cold winter's evening and after a hard day!

Daisy Nirmal
Daisy Nirmal

I love this - my favourite Jo Malone perfume.

LaSenorita
LaSenorita

Tart, juicy, smoky little number...a gothic fruit fragrance! This is special. I think it's sexy, and I think it's perfect for late fall evenings out - or wear it to bed! I consider it to be a darkly feminine scent, though a couple of friends feel the patchouli drydown is more masculine. But I love that incense-y, tobacco-y finish. Highly recommended if you're into something different...

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

I think this one and Fig&Cherry by Berkeley Square have something in common - their specific balsamic sweetness and a slightly rot fruit, but Pomegranate Noir is more unique, elegant and interesting. I also feel a slight note of raspberry which sometimes appears clearly, a kind of a slightly rot tree and a little shade of hay. I like these two scents, but they are my friend's kind of type, not mine ((( They suit her ideally, on my skin they aren't opening as good as on her skin.

onebadbaby
onebadbaby

I have been put off this since someone asked me if I had been using vicks :-(

I can't really detect any sweetness here, for me it has quite a savoury note to it. Maybe it would suit a man more, hence I have demoted it to my husbands shelf in the bathroom for now.

glitteralex
glitteralex

With all the listed notes, I was surprised that I found this, like most other JMs I have sampled, best suited for use as a room or ambience spray. Very heavy on juicy dark fruits and cedar, but with no discretion of loud notes or flow to the composition. I detected only a little jasmine, and could not discern any of the other woody or resinous notes from the overpowering cedar and cheap musk. Would love it as a candle, but certainly not for use as a perfume. Nice for the holidays as a room spray.

prettyliscious
prettyliscious

mixed it with nectarine blossom and honey and it creates ohhlalala scent...

seaofghosts
seaofghosts

I'm on my second bottle of this. My favourite Jo Malone perfume and my second favourite perfume altogether. It's a floral but a dark one and I mean that in the best way possible. Those type of perfumes tend to be what I love in a scent so this is why it suits me wonderfully. Masculine and feminine notes working in harmony which is why this one makes it hard to explain ; the notes all balance each other out so it's hard to pinpoint the prominent feature. All I know is that I love it and I have no doubt I'll be buying it again.

Ducktail
Ducktail

Layered over JM's Orange Blossom, this otherwise spicy, strong scent is somewhat tamed and just perky enough to keep me from guzzling java in a dreary afternoon at work.

kcii
kcii

My Partner brought home a tester of this, and we both tried it out. Its delightful.
The sample bottle is now empty, but we kept the bottle because when you open it, you still get a strong beautiful scent and it will even pass onto your skin, just from the air inside the bottle.. if that doesn't spell quality, then I don't know what does! Love it!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is not what I was expecting at all. Pomegranate is lovely, but I don't smell it in this! This is so so spicy. It wasn't unpleasant, but not what I wanted it to be.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

A mate at work gave me a sample of this fragrance, I couldn't believe how beautiful it is. In the bottle, it's fruity, I thought "this is literally the scent of pomegranate". When i put it on I was blown away at how peppery it smelt on me, the spice notes just come right out on skin. It's entrancing and distracting, I just walked around sniffing my self, every time I moved I would smell it and fall in love again. If you like oriental, spicey, strong peppery fragrances then try to get this one for sure.

The Jo Malone website suggest to mix this with other scents,DONT DO IT! pleeeeeasee its an absolute masterpiece on its own!
The very though gives me a sad-on

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Pleasnat, unique, bordering on the exotic. A bit of an off beat (in a good way) fruity frag.

The raspberry/ pomegranate top merges nicely with the musk/ patchouli bottom.

Like most of the Malone line, this is unisex and can/ should be combined with another one of their fragrances.

Not the most versatile on its own (but I do receive compliments!) it's meant to be worn for the right occasion. And, most certainly evening wear. Well done!

FYI - Blend it with honeysuckle and Jasmine.

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

It's really beautiful.It's like taking a walk in a field full of pomegranate trees and watermelons.. as you passing by you can listen to their song while they gently sway in the wind.Then the noir settles down and it becomes more interesting smells full of patchouli and tobacco.

mocha43
mocha43

I love this fruity rich scent. I have never had the opportunity to smell a pomegranite but this is a wonderful scent and long lasting on me. I'm very pleased with it. I have a sample of it and certainly would get a larger size if available at a reasonable price.

caroclark
caroclark

Love it! One of the few scents that my husband has asked, "who smells so good"? Me of course! It can be a unisex scent, and would smell just as great on guys. One of my favorite JM scents.

libertybelle
libertybelle

Too tart at first application. Pomengrante & cranberry fragrances are just not really my thing. Took about 10 minutes and dried down to a potchouli which I liked more than I thought I would. I can't say I ever did smell the other fruit notes of raspberry and plum. After about an hour though, the fragrance on me smelt like Comet cleanser. Well I don't mind that smell, I prefer my bathroom smell of it, rather than my body. I guess it just doesn't agree with my body chemistry.

Guest_yvashche
Guest_yvashche

One of my favorites. I only like two or three Jo Malone scents, and this one is the best of those. Juicy, comforting, ripe and sweet with a touch of darkness. Can't go wrong.

hollycat
hollycat

Spicy, woody scent with a kind of odd fruit smell that I havent experienced in a perfume before. Its not a bad smell but it seems more suitable as a fragrant candle or air freshener for the house. I cant see wearing this out and feeling sexy and confident.

jeca
jeca

One of the most interesting interpretations of pomegranate, so rare note in perfumery. For me it's brilliant shiny deep woody scent, very dark and serious. My favorite note is tart scent of pomegranate skin, woooody and tart... delicious and strange.

truffles
truffles

Hmm. Was dying to try this as have heard so much raving about it. Disappointingly spicy, cheap and jarring to my nose. Can't see what all the fuss is about, big thumbs down.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

I agree with Nebraska, it surely is a heavy pomegranate spiced scent. I loved to inhale this fragrance itself, but cannot wear it as I feel like I'm wearing a bowl of dried potpourri. It's wonderful, but not on my body.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Pomegranate Noir is a lush, heavy fruity spice, perfect for winter or evening. The combination of the fruity top notes has an almost wine-like aroma, with a hint of raisins. Very nuanced and not overly sweet--the tart rhubarb and pomegranate dominate there. The spicy dry-down kicks in not long after and lingers for hours. Patchouli dominates in the base, but it's at a level that harmonizes well with the lingering spices.

All of the Jo Malone's I have tried smell so unique. This one is no exception, and it set the gold standard that other pomegranate fragrances tried to reach but couldn't attain. It's an amazing scent!

Editing to add: this is a scent that men or women can wear! :-)