Designers » I-K » Chypre Floral « Groups

Spectacular Joan Collins for women

Spectacular Joan Collins for women
dislike

Spectacular Joan Collins for women Videos
Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures

British actress Joan Collins, best known for her role in the American TV soap opera "Dynasty," launched her perfume for women in 1989 named Spectacular.

Top notes: aldehydes, bergamot, green notes, peach and gardenia. Heart: jasmine, narcissus, lily of the valley, rose, tuberose, ylang-ylang, benzoin, sandalwood and orris root. Base: leather, musk, patchouli, amber, incense, civets, vetiver and styrax.

Available as EDT.

Bergamot Green Notes Peach Gardenia Aldehydes

Jasmine Narcissus Tuberose Orris Root Rose Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Benzoin Sandalwood

Leather Patchouli Civet Styrax Musk Vetiver Amber Incense

Spectacular Fragrance Reviews

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I purchased a 5ml parfum sample from a legitimate seller on ebay. I say legitimate, because trust me it took me quite a while to srub this potion off me... I wish I was not adverse to white florals when done in excess, but tuberose (and Jasmine for that matter) in high extremes sends me queasy. I am looking at you Boudoir and Jardins Baglitelle. This was also the case with this number. However, this potion is spectactular in it's own right as it stands out, just as Joan Collins would. Like a typical 80's scent, it is designed to stand out from a crowd and plough down the foes, friends and allies. I detect a bit of coconut in this(?), which I find lovely. It is a competitive, dramatic scent in it's own right. It takes centre stage, and takes you along with it for the ride.

This is classified as as chypre floral here. I don't think its very chypre, but it is very floral. The gardenia is most prevalent, and there is the sweetness of peach that is almost as strong. I find this to be a very sweet, creamy floral overall. I could not detect any civet till drydown, but if you wait for it, its there. This fragrance is about Joan Collins the actress, not Alexis Carrington the character. I find it to be rather elegant and classy, feminine, and wearable. This is reminiscent of a past era, the 80's, where florals were sweet and loud, but this is more classic to me, and doesn't smell dated, especially at the beginning. The longer you wear this, the more civetty it becomes. At the base, there is a quite a discernable animalic note. Most of today's fragrances avoid this type of note altogether, unless they are reformulations of an older scent, so I guess this aspect would place this perfume neatly in the past. Still, worth a try, but civet haters, beware - the opening and middle phase will fool you.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

In looking for a new signature fragrance, I'm trying to keep an open mind and follow leads that people have recommended based on some of the other fragrances that have been my favorites over the years.

Knowing by Estee Lauder is one of my very favorite fragrances and I would like to find another signature scent that is in this same fragrance family - and would have the endurance that Knowing has.

A fragrance friend recommended that I try La Nuit Perfume by Paco Rabanne and that is a very difficult fragrance to find, so I noticed that this was often compared to Spectacular... so I'm trying this now.

(According to a couple of reviews - Spectacular supposedly smells like La Nuit Perfume by Paco Rabanne, but not so animalistic).

I'm running a side by side test of Spectacular, Timeless by Avon, and First - to see how this compares.

So far, Spectacular starts off much lighter without the heaviness that I pick up from the first blast of First and Timeless. I like the scent of Spectacular, it is a solid type perfume but is registering very "classic" and elegant. There are no screeching high notes or anything that would be offensive. The first blast of Spectacular seems to be coming in as a good business fragrance. Something that has presence but is not taking on a life of its own- and competing with the person who would wear it.

As far as this being a Joan Collins' fragrance, I think that the image of Alexis Carrington was totally personified in the role that Joan Collins played. She really did a fabulous job in that role and very few other actresses could have pulled that role off as effectively as Joan did. I have a lot of admiration for her, for that. She is a really good actress and played the role so realistically that she literally BECAME Alexis Carrington.

Now... do I want to smell like Alexis Carrington? Probably NOT! But I'm not really "getting" that vibe from this fragrance. If this perfume were in a random line up with a number of other fragrances, I would not immediately associate this smell with Joan Collins - or her role as Alexis Carrington... I would just see that this fragrance was classically elegant.

-----------

This fragrance is in the same family and chord range as other floral bouquet fragrances that are my top picks for a "signature fragrance". This kind of reminds me of the chord within Beautiful, my very favorite Estee Lauder fragrance, that has been a complete staple in my fragrance wardrobe for over 20 years. It is also striking a similar chord to Beauty by Calvin Klein-- and other fragrances that hit that medium alto range floral bouquet chord.

Spectacular is a bit more spicy than Beautiful or Beauty... but may fill a gap in someone's wardrobe where they are wanting to experiment with "spicy" - rather than totally emerging themselves in a heavy splash of spice. This is much softer and more floral than Chanel's original Coco... and if this were on a fragrance continuum, would be between Beautiful and Coco - about 1/2 way.

passionata20
passionata20

04. november 2012

Many thanks for finally adding this one to the database!
I have this one both in pure parfum and EDT version and i have managed to wear parfum only by far.
Oh my! I had a feeling it sould be good, however i had my doubts, but i didn´t expect it to be THAT good. I don´t know which concentration the previous user reviewed BUT this is massive white floral with huge tuberose and gardenia, but it also has an amazing dry leathery undertone. All that is bathing in a sea of civet in the drydown.
Magnificent! I think this is very Joan Collins as you would expect it to be based on her most memorable character Alexis from Dallas! This perfume makes a statement and is bold. Let me say, that though it reminds me a lot of Poison original, but it is not quite the same, it is less heavier but true to 80´s spirit. And it lasts for almost 20hrs one drop of perfume. The drydown is all about leather and civet, simply spectacular! Somehow the drydown reminds me of "La nuit" by Paco Rabanne, however again softer, not that überstrong animalistic note. Those of you, who like bold fragrances will like this one as well. I have enjoyed every minute while wearing this fragrance, it will not give you nausea, but it will surely make you very noticable from the rest of the crowd.
A big love from me!
Highly recommended.

kl99
kl99

Well, that perfume was not so Joan Collins as you could expect: no Boucheron, no Giorgio Beverly Hills, no Poison. It was a nostalgic white florals, white woods, santal, with reminescences of the original formula of Soir de Paris. Unusual, smart elegant, considering the '89. Considering Alexis.

Spectacular by Joan Collins 3.93 out of 5 based on 15 ratings and 5 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Joan Collins Spectacular fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Joan Collins Spectacular, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Spectacular by Joan Collins. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Spectacular by Joan Collins represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.