Designers » I-K » Chypre Floral « Groups

Spectacular Joan Collins for women
dislike

yellow floral
Spectacular Joan Collins for women Videos
Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures Spectacular Joan Collins for women Pictures

British actress Joan Collins, best known for her role in the American TV soap opera "Dynasty," launched her perfume for women in 1989 named Spectacular.

Top notes: aldehydes, bergamot, green notes, peach and gardenia. Heart: jasmine, narcissus, lily of the valley, rose, tuberose, ylang-ylang, benzoin, sandalwood and orris root. Base: leather, musk, patchouli, amber, incense, civets, vetiver and styrax.

Available as EDT.

Bergamot Green Notes Peach Gardenia Aldehydes

Jasmine Narcissus Tuberose Orris Root Rose Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Benzoin Sandalwood

Leather Patchouli Civet Styrax Musk Vetiver Amber Incense

Roccobarocco

Spectacular Fragrance Reviews

kameron

UPDATE comparing the EDT version with the Esprit de parfum (same thing with the extrait) I now can say that the EDT verion is much floral and less animalic than the esprit, which is deep leathery on the dry down, animalic and with strong styrax. I also detect some dried fruits (maybe plum) in the Esprit, anyway, it s still on my wrist after 24 h (the EDP) and after a hot shower, I can still feel it. it s outrageous, I have never seen something like that. Bomb! After two hours, the dry down is completely opened so it can be a somehow unisex. Gorgeous!!!

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Powerful and bold, this luxurious Chanelesque fragrance really does match up with the character of Alexis from the hit 1980's TV drama Dynasty. Strong white florals: fragrant diva flowers. Gardenia, tuberose, rose and narcissus. The base they rest on are also aromatic and strong on their own: styrax, patchouli, leather and musk. This is a mature fragrance for women who know what they want, and go after it, and get it. Seductive, sexy, empowering, spicy, but at the same time it has a femininity. It has a side to it that really does feel soft: peach and rose. The aldehydes too are brilliant and feminine very much in the style of the Chanel aldehydes (Chanel No. 5, No. 22). This fragrance is very different from all others but I would say that it has some things in common with fragrances like First by Van Cleef and Arpels, Lady Stetson, Chanel No. 22, Arpege, Wind Song, and White Shoulders. It has a vintage aldehydic floral feel to it but it's also very musky and leathery. She means business. A great evening perfume to wear with your most glamorous evening gowns. I wore this last night during a lounge act performing in Savannah Georgia. I received compliments on it. This fragrance smells much more luxurious and much more expensive than it's affordable price.

Ranya
Ranya

Extreme high quality. Animalic, bold, brave like a declaration of real love. Civet is strong but surprisingly not pungent at all, gives a glmourous vibe to everyone who wears it. Tuberose is to die for here. Forget about white florals from nowadays...here you can find NATURAL white florals, nothing chemical, nothing unusual, just like a huge garden. I also feel a peach vibe and and patchouli, among the incense on the base, civet , amber, rose and a high quality leather. Definitely a niche recipe and the ingredients smells so natural, nothing chemical in it. The esprit de parfum is a really sillage and projection monster. The longevity is until the next day. Stunning!
9.5 out of 10

gatsby
gatsby

in the big box, with deluxe atomiseur, is the ESPRIT DE PARFUM, such a rare and a bit weird considering it s in a 100 ml bottle. Anyway, if you decide to buy it, buy this version, the ESDP. It is different than the normal EDT, more luxurious, with EXTREME silage, projection and longevity. It lasts for days. And the smell is just unique, so very well described here in the reviews. There are also EDT and Parfum versions.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

When asked what sets this fragrance apart from others, Joan Collins Alexis herself replied "It has a very elegant smell, it has a simplicity and a touch of spice". This is Alexis in all her bitch beauty and I'm using bitch in an empowering, beautiful, positive context. This is a woman who knows what she wants and usually gets it. This fragrance appears to have been competing with Elizabeth Taylor's Passion, which also contains notes of sandalwood, incense, leather, patchouli, and white floral scents of gardenia and jasmine. I think this fragrance is more fresh and not as dark as Passion. The bergamot and peach fruit notes at the top are keeping this thing light and summery. It's got more flowers than Liz Taylor's Passion and I can smell the roses, jasmines, narcissus, tuberose and ylang-ylang The floral heart is heady and sweet. The dry down is the best part. It turns more masculine, more fragrant even than when you first spritz it on. It has a lot of leather and vetiver. Smells classy and like something you'd put on with a Chanel suit. A little more wood notes and it would probably resemble Bandit. This is a beautiful spicy floral fragrance that perfectly embodies Joan Collins herself. A cheap price but not a cheap fragrance.

kameron

One of the best and beautiful combination of civet, musk, incense (in the dry down) and natural florals. Nothing synthetic, nothing chemical in it, lots of oils in a genius blend.Not dated at all...just special and divine. The sillage and longevity are one of the most impressive I have ever met in a perfume (I have a 7,5 ml purse spray of parfum esprit). NICHE quality discontinued masterpice!
9.5/10

The_Entity
The_Entity

Its been a long time since I had this, it stunk to high heaven, so I threw it down the rubbish chute...the bottle had broken on the way down, still reeked weeks later when you opened the chute!

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

I may well have to buy a back-up bottle soon! Love it. This is the kind of scent I hope to find when searching Fragrantica. Whether or not there is any comparison, I feel like this keeps me as happy as Chanel no. 5 EDT would, at a fraction of the cost. I gender bend and have tried Chanel no. 5 more than once b/c I work at Macy's. I already realized that so long as I love Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds and can get that from an online discounter, even 20% off at Macy's isn't going to get me to buy the Legendary Chanel no. 5 any time soon. Now I also have Spectacular to add to this. (I'd already seen Brilliant White Diamonds as another alternative.) Sure. They are different, all of them. However, there is a similarity in how they make me feel. Elated. Bubbly. Shimmering. And I love that contrast on a dumb boy like me.That said, there Is also a great many shared notes, just compare them ..

Besides, how many people are wearing Chanel no. 5 anyway? Spectacular has become almost niche to me in a way because who is really thinking of this now? Score!

roseombre
roseombre

I selected musk as very intensive but I presume there is a mistake it is moss oakmoss not musk.

Tuberose and gardenia are very high but well balanced cold gardenia temperate the hot tuberose and believe me this fragrance is not so glamour as expected considered the actress.
Who says this is a "watch me" fragrance probably accuse the fascination of Joan Collins sign on the bottle. So not so spectacular but intimate the fragrance is a real chypre mitsouko style plus mentioned flowers soft creamy fruity apricot and natural oakmoss and vetiver.

very feminine at first but almost with a masculine side in the dry down when vetiver and moss take place.
very complex and more aristocratic and chic than sexy. an excentric work for a Celebrity Fragrance... well in 1989 she was one of the first.

And Passionata please. she was in the Dynasty cast, not in Dallas.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I purchased a 5ml parfum sample from a legitimate seller on ebay. I say legitimate, because trust me it took me quite a while to srub this potion off me... I wish I was not adverse to white florals when done in excess, but tuberose (and Jasmine for that matter) in high extremes sends me queasy. I am looking at you Boudoir and Jardins Baglitelle. This was also the case with this number. However, this potion is spectactular in it's own right as it stands out, just as Joan Collins would. Like a typical 80's scent, it is designed to stand out from a crowd and plough down the foes, friends and allies. I detect a bit of coconut in this(?), which I find lovely. It is a competitive, dramatic scent in it's own right. It takes centre stage, and takes you along with it for the ride.

This is classified as as chypre floral here. I don't think its very chypre, but it is very floral. The gardenia is most prevalent, and there is the sweetness of peach that is almost as strong. I find this to be a very sweet, creamy floral overall. I could not detect any civet till drydown, but if you wait for it, its there. This fragrance is about Joan Collins the actress, not Alexis Carrington the character. I find it to be rather elegant and classy, feminine, and wearable. This is reminiscent of a past era, the 80's, where florals were sweet and loud, but this is more classic to me, and doesn't smell dated, especially at the beginning. The longer you wear this, the more civetty it becomes. At the base, there is a quite a discernable animalic note. Most of today's fragrances avoid this type of note altogether, unless they are reformulations of an older scent, so I guess this aspect would place this perfume neatly in the past. Still, worth a try, but civet haters, beware - the opening and middle phase will fool you.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

In looking for a new signature fragrance, I'm trying to keep an open mind and follow leads that people have recommended based on some of the other fragrances that have been my favorites over the years.

Knowing by Estee Lauder is one of my very favorite fragrances and I would like to find another signature scent that is in this same fragrance family - and would have the endurance that Knowing has.

A fragrance friend recommended that I try La Nuit Perfume by Paco Rabanne and that is a very difficult fragrance to find, so I noticed that this was often compared to Spectacular... so I'm trying this now.

(According to a couple of reviews - Spectacular supposedly smells like La Nuit Perfume by Paco Rabanne, but not so animalistic).

I'm running a side by side test of Spectacular, Timeless by Avon, and First - to see how this compares.

So far, Spectacular starts off much lighter without the heaviness that I pick up from the first blast of First and Timeless. I like the scent of Spectacular, it is a solid type perfume but is registering very "classic" and elegant. There are no screeching high notes or anything that would be offensive. The first blast of Spectacular seems to be coming in as a good business fragrance. Something that has presence but is not taking on a life of its own- and competing with the person who would wear it.

As far as this being a Joan Collins' fragrance, I think that the image of Alexis Carrington was totally personified in the role that Joan Collins played. She really did a fabulous job in that role and very few other actresses could have pulled that role off as effectively as Joan did. I have a lot of admiration for her, for that. She is a really good actress and played the role so realistically that she literally BECAME Alexis Carrington.

Now... do I want to smell like Alexis Carrington? Probably NOT! But I'm not really "getting" that vibe from this fragrance. If this perfume were in a random line up with a number of other fragrances, I would not immediately associate this smell with Joan Collins - or her role as Alexis Carrington... I would just see that this fragrance was classically elegant.

-----------

This fragrance is in the same family and chord range as other floral bouquet fragrances that are my top picks for a "signature fragrance". This kind of reminds me of the chord within Beautiful, my very favorite Estee Lauder fragrance, that has been a complete staple in my fragrance wardrobe for over 20 years. It is also striking a similar chord to Beauty by Calvin Klein-- and other fragrances that hit that medium alto range floral bouquet chord.

Spectacular is a bit more spicy than Beautiful or Beauty... but may fill a gap in someone's wardrobe where they are wanting to experiment with "spicy" - rather than totally emerging themselves in a heavy splash of spice. This is much softer and more floral than Chanel's original Coco... and if this were on a fragrance continuum, would be between Beautiful and Coco - about 1/2 way.

passionata20
passionata20

04. november 2012

Many thanks for finally adding this one to the database!
I have this one both in pure parfum and EDT version and i have managed to wear parfum only by far.
Oh my! I had a feeling it sould be good, however i had my doubts, but i didn´t expect it to be THAT good. I don´t know which concentration the previous user reviewed BUT this is massive white floral with huge tuberose and gardenia, but it also has an amazing dry leathery undertone. All that is bathing in a sea of civet in the drydown.
Magnificent! I think this is very Joan Collins as you would expect it to be based on her most memorable character Alexis from Dynasty! This perfume makes a statement and is bold. Let me say, that though it reminds me a lot of Poison original, but it is not quite the same, it is less heavier but true to 80´s spirit. And it lasts for almost 20hrs one drop of perfume. The drydown is all about leather and civet, simply spectacular! Somehow the drydown reminds me of "La nuit" by Paco Rabanne, however again softer, not that überstrong animalistic note. Those of you, who like bold fragrances will like this one as well. I have enjoyed every minute while wearing this fragrance, it will not give you nausea, but it will surely make you very noticable from the rest of the crowd.
A big love from me!
Highly recommended.

kl99
kl99

Well, that perfume was not so Joan Collins as you could expect: no Boucheron, no Giorgio Beverly Hills, no Poison. It was a nostalgic white florals, white woods, santal, with reminescences of the original formula of Soir de Paris. Unusual, smart elegant, considering the '89. Considering Alexis.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Joan Collins Spectacular fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Joan Collins Spectacular, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Spectacular by Joan Collins. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Spectacular by Joan Collins represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.