Designers » I-K » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

John Galliano John Galliano for women

John Galliano John Galliano for women
dislike

I have it: 972 I had it: 259 I want it: 1034 My signature: 26

John Galliano John Galliano for women Videos John Galliano John Galliano for women Videos
John Galliano John Galliano for women Pictures John Galliano John Galliano for women Pictures John Galliano John Galliano for women Pictures John Galliano John Galliano for women Pictures John Galliano John Galliano for women Pictures John Galliano John Galliano for women Pictures

John Galliano is the first fragrance by this creator of the house of Dior. It was presented in July 2008 in full cooperation and talent of John Galliano, who created fragrancy notes. He wanted a floral fragrance which would include rose, peony, iris with powdery aromas, violet and transparency

Cooperation in creating John Galliano's signature fragrance was established with Cristine Nagel, who created this floral aldehyde fragrance with notes of aldehydes surrounded with floral notes, with amber and patchouli in the base notes.

Its bottle is a real piece of art, crowned with Gothic letter G, while the outside package is illustrated like a book.

The commercial for this fragrance was made by Jean-Baptiste Mondino.

The perfume will be at the market from October 2008, in the amount of 40, 75 and 90ml EDP, with an accompanying program which includes 200ml body milk, 200ml bath, 150ml body peeling. The perfumer is Christine Nagel . John Galliano was created by Christine Nagel and Aurelien Guichard.

Aldehydes Angelica Bergamot

Rose Violet Peony iris Lavender

Amber Musk Patchouli Incense Virginia Cedar

Archives 69
Amouage Lyric Man

John Galliano Fragrance Reviews

Inhershoes
Inhershoes

The dusty air of a church and the chemical high of an aldehydic floral. Intoxicating and completely individual! I fell in love with it at first sniff, but quickly tired of its oddly syrupy amber notes. It took me years to finish the bottle.

Dominic80
Dominic80

ALTHOUGH I love powder, and powdery fragrances, i was disappointed by this. It is almost boozy, syrupy to me at first, like some red wine with a hint of cough syrup, then, it becomes very intense when the incense and woods kick in prominently, and, finally rose and Iris and violet appear in a more sophisticated dry down. I don't know.. perhaps it's the mix of incense with adelhydes . Not a match. Like a sparring partner! I was expecting something more like Hypnotic Poison, one favorite of mine, but i ended up with something arguably successful in its intents, even though somewhat always at a classy standard. I am just a collector, and, i would/could never wear 70per cent of the scents i buy, i have at least 3000 powdery (some rare ones too!) perfumes of any brand, period, and notes, this one is simply on shelves standing in the back, and i don't see the point to pick it up anytime soon!

Elizete Araujo Moura
Elizete Araujo Moura

I still smell lavander...simple this

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Galliano is one of the most attractive mysterious looking bottles I've ever owned in my collection. At first glance it looks like a Goth perfume, something that would probably smell like a lot of incense, an Oriental, smoky or woodsy, or something like Freak by Illamasqua with "poisonous" flowers. But this scent is very sweet, soft and perfect as an introduction to incense. It's really more a powder than incense. On me all the flowers are blooming. There's pink roses and peonies, iris violet and angelica. One flower that also stands out because of that familiar spicy scent is the lavender. But none of the florals are too strong. These are soft flowers and don't be scared of the aldehyde note. It's barely there. This is a delicate powdery floral. The packaging is so deceptive and I was actually disappointed it wasn't darker and edgier. I have worn L'Agent by Agent Provocateur and that smoky incense fragrance is what this should smell like based on the artistic design of the bottle. But this is very nice. I love the flowers and the thin veil of incense. There is also amber and a soft touch of musk. It's elegant, nocturnal, and youthful, like a girl wearing a little black dress at a funeral, but she's not scary. She's inherited millions of millions of dollars and can buy herself all the perfume she wants LOL

Babieluv
Babieluv

I am so torn with this one. I don't know whether I find it amazingly beautiful or disgusting. When I first sprayed it, only one thing popped in my head "this smells like church". The church you go when you travel around Europe. And then gradually turns very powdery. But not that baby powder, this is mature, classy, sophisticated powder. Unfortunately I still smell that church smell somewhere in the background that I'm not a fan of.

nitschevo
nitschevo

A new batch of 40ml bottles popped out of a warehouse somewhere.... And I grabbed a backup bottle, what a steal! Get it while you can! :D

Edit: Hm... Maybe it is the "original" formula after all, being it is a 40ml? So confusing! :D It just arrived and thankfully the sprayer does its job this time around and mists instead of spilling the perfume out but I digress. I find that this "newer" version is very similar to the original release. It appears to be a tad more powdery and with less cedar. However this can also be due to the fact that my older bottle really spills out a huge "splash" of perfume instead a fine mist therefore the smell is surely more intense (?). Whatever the case - still a very nice unusual perfume that is great on so many levels. I find it rather enchanting in a Maleficent (think Angelina Jolie) kind of way.

thesheppardess
thesheppardess

I want, I want, I want.
Due to being in a big rush this morning, I grabbed a random decant and sprayed, as I was heading out the door.
JG is wonderful. Every time I go to wash my hands, it wakes the fragrance up again on my wrists. Powdery, dark floral, vanilla, delectable.
I might have mistaken JG as a Guerlain, if I didn't know any better. Very calming as well. I managed to sail thru the day, despite of sleeping in and not having time to do my make up or eat breakfast. Very, very nice frag. I would classify it as a big girls fragrance but ... an elegant girl, not a bossy or overbearing one.
Now, how do I get my hands on a fb?

verasdfghjkl
verasdfghjkl

My expectations were sky high. It did definitely meet those with its lovely smoky aldehyde-y rose and purple flowers, what a stunner. But what I didn't get was that gothic and churchy darkness vibe that I read others seem to get. I was expecting something so extremely dark and witchy that could even offend people, what I got was a lovely dry, powdery and very smoky rose that is quite sweet. So that was surprising, but I loved it right away.

gatsby
gatsby

Confusing,gender-bender, very spicy in the opening,and gothic, - incense with patchouli, amber and rose after one hour. Long lasting, it can be unisex after a while. From the opening to the dry down, it s a real journey, you have the feeling that you wear 3 different perfumes. Very interesting and pleasant, unique scent. The box is beautiful, interesting marketing and very different from the stuff nowadays in this mid -class. The bottle is 100% womanly but this doesn t disturb me at all, it s nice. Thank you, Valentina, for this beauty. 8/10

redcapricorn
redcapricorn

I've been on a sample rampage lately, and this is my newest one. I've been dying to try it for ages. Some people here have compared this to cola or Dr. Pepper, and they weren't kidding. When I first opened the bottle, I was immediately hit with a cherry cola blast. It took me right back to when I was five years old and used to chew a very sweet but tart cola-flavored bubble gum. But this is not a bad thing. It's whimsical but still sophisticated. The longer this sits on my skin, the more I like it. And as it dries, it is becoming more floral and powdery and mature. There is something so nostalgic about this one, so unique and so romantic, too. This one might be worth buying the full bottle.

Madrona
Madrona

This is... interesting. I can't put my finger on what's so odd about it, but something is a bit off. It evokes something I can only describe as "incense jam" - smoky incense with berry jelly. At the same time there is a clear lipsticky iris making itself known. Candied, fluffy rose too. I find that the EdT stays pretty true to the EdP, but it's considerably lighter. This one smells better on paper than on my skin, but I need to explore this one further.

tessa2809
tessa2809

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the similarity to Guerlain l'Heure Bleue. The drydown of powdery violets reminds me very much of it!

Miss Precious Orchid
Miss Precious Orchid

I don't get incense in this fragrance and it puzzles me.......I got the original version and it's a minty aromatic scent with a added sweetness. Not powdery floral but floral with a soft intensity very interesting and unusual. It has an sensuality that suggests something is about to unfold. I imagine the French painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec sitting at the Moulin Rouge with a sketch pad and pen observing the scene.....very introspective and deep.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Thank you, Mr Galliano.
A perfume that connects the many scent pleasure centers in my brain. It's got the violets, the incense smoke, the orris in that order on me. I could flood my receptors with violets, Iris and incense for weeks before satisying the craving... Love this in the warm weather. It blooms on my skin into a lovely powdery violet boudoir-like scent. Very good with my cool brunette chemistry.

perfumeaddiction

This is my second review of this gem.

My husband and I were going to see the Cult a band known in the 80's for being a heavy,dark, grungy dirty metal band. I was searching in my perfume wardrobe for a good scent to fit the bill. Quite often people find Galliano innocent but I tend to disagree. She's a pretty rough bitch but in a good way. And let me say the EDP is very long lasting and strong. I think it was a good choice for the evening. A little black eyeliner, knee high black boots and my Galliano. A great night!

I racked my brain all night trying to figure out what JG reminded me of. And if you grew up in the 70/80's era and remember bottle cap candies, this one smells like the cola ones. One would not think a cola smelling perfume could be bad ass but trust me... it is.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

This is a perfume that is definitely on the dresser table of Lydia from Beetle Juice. This has a huge sign on it saying: Goth Girl Fragrance. This is for scenting your black Goth attire with, black make up, black gowns, black mourning dresses. It's got a black color but it's also a very deep purple color. It's not too strong despite the incense note, although the smokiness of the incense combined with patchouli really come in at the dry down. There's also a lovely amber. The fragrance is powdery, too, because the flowers in this fragrance namely iris is powdery once made into perfume. Violet stands out as does lavender angelica and rose. The opening of aldehydes is a nice old fashioned vintage touch. This is a Halloween Night fragrance. I can't wear this all the time. It's got an aromatic air but it's not as heavy as any more full bodied aromatics like oud or other woodsy fragrances or really balsamic stuff with more patchouli or incense. This is a nice introduction to incense. I think it's very nice and my type of perfume especially because the packaging with the Goth design is very artistically made and that's no surprise because this was made for the fashion house of designer John Galliano. This is really lovely and mysterious, just a touch melancholic but no where near as tragic as De Profundis by Serge Lutens. This wears like a junior version of the very intense De Profundis.

COSMICSCENTS
COSMICSCENTS

It lasts a long time! I like it a lot! plus is different than all other perfumes. people always complain all new perfumes smell alike than they get this and complain that is too strong or weird.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

In my next life, I want to come back as perfume artist Christine Nagel. Delicious! That's all I have to say.

archivist

For me, this is a really lovely bedtime perfume - warm and cozy, ever so slightly mystical (in a good way), powdery and kind, like a bedtime kiss on the forehead from a benevolent fairy. It's not particularly complex, I wouldn't wear it to the office or on a date or really anywhere except to bed... But that's fine. It will certainly help make my bottle of LHB last longer (that's my other bedtime fume, but it is a bit sweet - I do seem to prefer this one lately, as it is dry and silky).

Krasnylips
Krasnylips

Amazing quality, let the modest price not confuse you.
I am addicted to its bitter note that I called snake poison. The same note I feel in Python by Trussardi.
Stays on skin for the whole day.
Gorgeous.

Tiwalii
Tiwalii

To me this smells like Notre Dame, in Paris, in winter. Or like a mixture of Esmeralda from "The Hunchback" and the gargoyles on top of old gothic churches and buildings. It's very well blended. There's not one particular note that stands out. It has a cool, distant and slightly eerie kind of smell, and yet there's a bit of warmth there as well. It's like they've bottled dusty pale flowers, dark shadows and traces of incense smoke. It's very atmospheric. I adore this perfume.

Longevity is great on my skin: 8-10 hours.
Sillage is quite strong to begin with, but dries down to a pleasant moderate.

shushkin
shushkin

Its an Edwardian story of our young beautiful heroine still mourning the unexpected death of her father. Her dress is corseted and high necked befitting the local fashions of the time and its sombre colours of lead grey with mauve lace make her seem like a shadow as she heads towards the church holding a small bouquet of violets she has just picked. She goes in to light a candle that will join the many already flickering there. The gloomy church smells of incense and violets but the many little candles cut through the gloom and shine brightly for those who will not be forgotten. The bottle so accurately recreates the form of her corseted figure.
Yes, in the initial hit there is a lot of iris, rose, violet, angelica, amber and incense. Its a delicious opening but as the alcohol dissipates the incense really comes into its own. Its the incense note I normally find great difficulty with as I know its a migraine trigger for me but not here thank goodness. There is some sweetness but just enough to really enhance the iris and violet notes which do overall still dominate. I am really in love with this iris/violet fragrance and Ive sniffed many and this is definitely now in my top 10. The sillage is moderate and the longevity phenomenal. Keep this one for cool/cold conditions as I think it would be overwhelming in much heat.

HUEbris
HUEbris

I'm not sure it was really reformulated as the rumour. Because I had bought 60ml bottle years ago that I heard this was discontineud and reproduced with changed formula. There's a sticker about new producing company which to hide some letters. When I removed that sticker it reveals original producing company name. Then is this one that I have not reformulated? People said only 90ml is original smell.
Anyway It smells very Incense and powdery.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Vintage smokey violet and rose scent. Not too Gothic maybe the smoke?but mostly a lipstick or makeup scent with a rich powdery quality. I don't get much of the dark impression but its still lovely. Good for any season occasion, day or night, versatile scent. Beautiful!

rednut
rednut

I won this in a give away (lucky me! and big thanks to mrsg34) and i love it. I normally can't wear aldehydes (chanel no 5 smells like perming solution on me!?) but this is beautiful. Fresh and a little bit fruity - must be the bergamot. Lovely iris violet and rose. Floral, fresh and fruity. Suitable for every day wear. The bottle won't last long as I have worn it every day for work for the last 4 weeks! Longevity and sillage are excellent. I can smell it all day long.

deb.martinez
deb.martinez

Whoa....sexy boudoir fragrance here. I love the bottle..and im pretty sure I love this fume! This is what id hoped Hypnotic poison edp would smell like,,glad I swapped that away! Even though this is a sexy fume...id be brave enough to wear it to church! Dusty,powdery,spicy,rosey,with with slightly lingering aldehydes..awesome.Drydown is quite lovely and soft,so its not as "scary" or controvesial as reviews may imply. It is different tho...quite!
EDIT: Not sweet enough for my tastes..boo. UP for swap!

Akarui_hana
Akarui_hana

This one is not a crowd-pleaser so test if before buying and complaining about it.
I, for one, love it. I get a lot of old-school powdery rose balanced by sharp aldehydes and lovely incense. It does give a rather Gothic feel so it is not an every-day scent but on the days it calls out for me I enjoy wearing it very much.

It gives me the feeling of a cold distant sexiness, I imagine a Dominatrix wearing this.

kurotera
kurotera

Too hard, too sweet.
Smells, like church. A lot of Incense, my sister said that it reminds smoke.
Men generally do not like the flavor and smell of it, as in a museum.

honeybeesweet
honeybeesweet

This was a blind buy for me and I regret it. To sharp for me. It reminds me of something from my childhood but I can't quite put my finger on it.
I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

WARNING: Might be offensive to fans of reformulated one.............Don't mean to but decided to stay honest....

So the second surprise this week, after earlier having received a present at work they considered suiting.. gave this "Shocking"- dupe.. nameless orange juice in bottle with breasts and the 'S' like the Schiaparelli's and named 'Showgirl'... ( -Never look in the mouth of a given horse- say the Dutch so I happily keep it for spraying the rug or the stairs )...then today the second surprise reminds me Murphy's Law.. still worser it can get..this JG-edition came in my house where it has never smelled so bad...For first time I had to wash off a scent.....I just hate this..and finally understand now the 'old lady'expression....this is a true one not living in past decades but here and now in certain clubs when it's almost closing time and in the toilets aerea you can smell the punginess of sweat and beer and smoke and cheap perfumes and hairspray and open urinoirs with water on the floor.. suddenly everybody wants to get the hell out of here cause the lights are turned on and it's not nice anymore. That's it, not a lady in church or park going through her powdery lovely ancient bag...powder ????? this is just HARSH and acid it's pungent and has no components you could call notes....The incense ? ...The so lovely flowers ??.. The faint reminder maybe of Lyric ??..Ha !! Keep wishing , aspiring the grandeur or sensuality that never ever will bloom....Just too late now..her hair has dropped the dress stinks and she runs home to sleep with her make-up and clothes on.
So now I go washing myself and put other clothes on...UNBELIEVABLE.
1/10 ( consolation , that is )
And the bottle is plain ugly.
And the Shocking-dupe seems now such a refreshing lovely ambery.
Nothing wrong with it ha ha.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Perfect representation of the song of Donovan "She", highly recommend a perfume and a song:) I am not writing perfume description as its been done below so many times, obviously violet in incense and soft aldehydes, but unless you smell it - you will not figure out how it possibly might be. Every time when there is an angelica among notes - you will be surprised, that's what I know for sure, it can turn all other notes upside down and the result is most unusual.

Enter She, with her scent of violetta
Yesterday gown, granny hand-me-down chiffon
Fragile She, with her beaded bag of treasures
Pale and pretty by the palm tree on the lawn.

Enter Me : 'Do you wanna have a drink, love ?'
'Yes' - she say - 'Perrier with a twist of lime'
Sexy She, with her see-through soft intentions
She for one was out to have a sober time.

She is my lover, our kisses of passion
Leave lips bruised and burning
Bodies so close, we live as one.

Its just one bewitching addictive fragrance, that you understand with time and don't want that spell to fade away...

Tapinview
Tapinview

Too many good reviews here not to grab this....blind buy adventure that I'm sure a lot of we fragrance freaks are prone to ...some 40mls bottles have shown up on eBay and Strawberrynet....just now so I thought, why not! Wow, it's gorgeous. An edgy incense with a haunting floralcy and sweet muskiness. A really beautiful perfume, I totally recommend all the positive reviews for additional information. It's even a bit reminiscent of some of Lutens later bell jars like Vierge a la Fier and my beloved De Profundis.
Well. A few days later. My daughter just pranced out wearing this.
Well. How the heck did this get discontinued. I may have to buy a backup. Apparently some came out of a warehouse somewhere,,,,

Nyssa Ainley
Nyssa Ainley

WARNING: This review is long! For those who hate long reviews I will say now, I love this fragrance, it's challenging the notes and how they appear speaks to me of the 'circle of life!' I can also see why this one would stay in the cupboard throughout Spring and Summer and only come out Novemeber - February. Top notes = Childhood. Heart Notes = Late adolescence TO 50's. Bases Notes = 50's to Death.

There, now for those who want to carry on x Go Ahead!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wore this for two hours with just two spritz's - one on a wrist and dabbed on the other, and one on my throat specifically to review this fragrance and see if it conjures up any images in my mind.

Did an evocative image come to my mind whilst wearing this fragrance? In a word yes.

This fragrance works, to me, like an olfactory metaphor for life ...

The openening is definitely soapy (what I learned to be aldehydes) like the sort of liquid soap you generally use to wash dishes with. This obviously hung around longer than I could detect because I asked my mother at various times to sniff my wrist and she made the same face (imagine a cat sniffing a lemon?) After half an hour, for me anyway, the soapy quality dissipated to the floral heart.

So, the opening was the journey from childhood to adolesence, the squeaky clean image of a blonde haired girl in pigtails presenting a daisy chain necklace to her mother.

The floral heart is when the child becomes a late teen and she has discovered Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, Nightwish - she subscribes to Prog Rock magazine buys Illamasqua make up and the blonde pigtails are now straightened dark shiny locks and the daisy chain becomes a skull and cross bones pendant - as she becomes into her own she retains some of that rebellious attitude but the little girl awakens as she too, eventually becomes the mum with the daisy chain necklace given to her by her own blonde haired daughter - though her arms bears a heart and rose tattoo and she sports a nose ring and three earring in each ear her the sweet violet and the powdery iris tames her and she is a wonderful mother that her appearance may belie to the ignorant world. The rose helps keeps her confident and assured as to whom she is as does the peony whilst the lavender balances out both sides and helps her relax as she goes through the third stage of her eventful wonderful, life ...

The dusty patchouli and smoky incense brings forth old age, does the old girl go silently? NO she does not! She still remains cheerful and bright but she will be the old lady who swears at young men if they so much as gawp at her teenage granddaughter - she is the grandma with an attitude retaining the vitality of her youth but will never be a walk over. The sort of grandma who still rides a Harley. Who adores Marvel comics and is cooler than your own staid mother ... the wood and musk sort of brings the cloister bell - grandma's coughing a lot more, she aches a lot more and - eventually, the scent fades as the woman dies ... Never is the scent cold - the rose and amber helps keep it warm. It is also never sweet.

Amongst the goods in the coffin: the last daisy chain her youngest grandchild made for her and her skull and crossbones pendant.

kaktus
kaktus

I just received my Galliano, sadly the reformulated one. I really liked the idea of a catholic church perfume. I've tried the perfume once so far. On my wrist the scent is offensive. It developes to this make up bag lipsticky powdery smell with a tiny hint of incense. At first it really does smell like a church! The deal breaker for me are the sharp, fresh, almost menthol like, floral tones pushing through from start to finish. I'll try this one on my neck and make my final judgement after that. So far, I'm kinda disappointed. Still looking for that perfect gothic church smell...

Angeldaisy

my second review for selective beauty EDP....i wore this yesterday and am writing this because it it still wafting up from my skin 20 hours later!

Henriette mentioned it is like Chanel no. 22's bad sister.
she could be the dark purple ball gowned, deep red lipsticked twin sister, beneath a heavy purple cloak.

the opening is massive! and having read many reviews (there are so many for this!)...i do get toilet cleaner and furniture polish mixed with liquorice!

then i get sharp pungent sweet boozy blackcurrants. this is very purple and fruity on me.
the luscious soapy flowers in this are stained deep purple. an iris, a rose...but mostly a dusting of powdery violets beneath.

the violets are sweet. the incense slowly emerges and i was left with dark bitter-sweet boozy fruits and incense that has lasted FOREVER.

is my nose having a bad day? i think i will have to revisit this before i pass it on...but right now, i can't think why i adored it so much!

EDIT: yes, my nose was having a bad day! i have tried many perfumes before coming back to this again today. it is intoxicating, beautiful, mysterious and alluring. it is perfectly balanced.
like looking up at a clear dark starlit sky with dew beneath your feet.
bitter plums, a dirty rose, enchanted violets, powdery woods and incense. what more could you ask for? and it lasts forever on skin. phew, am jolly glad i kept it. and tonight, i am getting a lot of lavender coming through. mmmmmm
BUT...BUT...what i do find disconcerting, is that this perfume stays on my skin for 36+ hours. it is like having a purple perfume temporary tattoo!
at the 36 hour mark, it smells of coffee grounds and violets.
personally, I don't want a perfume to stay only my skin for almost 2 full days.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i wasn't sure what to expect with this one. it starts off with aldehydes that quickly burn off and then i get the rose, followed by powdery softness from the iris and violet but there is also a slightly sweet floral, (probably angelica) that is really nice. there's a soft dry incense in the background holding it all together. it has hints of vintage makeup scent mixed with florals and bit of incense. during the first 20-30 minutes i think it has a similar feel to vivienne westwood's boudoir, but with more oomph. after that period it gets much more incensy and deep. so lovely.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

I actually find this fragrance quite intriguing, sweet smoky incense, a bit sharp on the first spritz, but then as it mellows it's just beautiful. It's a bit boozy, bit spicy, bit floral, fabulously interesting, the bottle is a bit tacky. Great fragrance.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This is a gentle incense, violet, iris yet has a gothic smoky feel to it without screaming "look at me!".The bottle is gorgeous and it can be bought at a bargain price at the moment.I like to spray this before going to bed and feel gently cocooned in violet and incense, quite lovely.

rostov14
rostov14

This sophisticated creature keeps you on your toes. Her lofty, romantic nature incites you to worship her beauty and femininity as well as her colourful seductive character excites your curiosity, imagination and innermost desires. Her flowers are narcotic: treacherously sweet and sweetly dangerous. Her trail is transcendentally celestial due to etherial adehydes,
angelica and incense notes, and yet - profoundly carnal due to an earthy Amber, cedar and musk.
She is intense, dramatic, contradictory and yet playful. She prompts you to enjoy the theatre of Life; no casual entrance nor exit here.
Dress yourself like royalty! The prickles of the Rose. Be draped !
The only smell that allures me in the same way is Balenciaga's "Florabotanica" with its similar warm, spicy, rosy and woody charm, but with no spookiness of the incense there.
But here, the smoke of the Big G is more than enticing. Golly! Be ready!
Subversive scent. Divine bottle. Bravissimo, Galliano! Love you!

ewanhoozarmy
ewanhoozarmy

Unfortunately, this one is a regret of mine. I'm a big fan of 'dark' mysterious scents, however, with this one, I don't get that at all. I'm no expert in terms of identifying individual notes, but to me it has quite a boring, nothing kind of smell. It sort of smells like the inside of a make up bag; talc, barely scented foundation and eyebrow pencil shavings. On me sillage is almost non-existent and in terms of longevity, it's gone in a hour. So so upset, considering how one review described it as a gothic, church smell. But I'm glad others are having more success with it. Exquisite bottle though.

x-x-x-ANGEL-x-x-x
x-x-x-ANGEL-x-x-x

Incredibly beautiful, dark and mysterious sweet incence so absolutely romantic.

This scent in a strange way makes me think of how the Corpse Bride's bouquet would have smelt.

lord montifer

Second review for this beauty! I had the reformulated one (which is still gorgeous IMHO) but have just received a beautiful sample bottle of the original (thanks, angeldaisy)!

The original feels smoother and darker and the opening less fizzy to me (the opening on the new one is a bit screechy for the first five minutes). This is where the main difference is for me. The original also feels more "real" ... as if the newer one is a copy of the older one. I hope this makes some sense...

I am going to keep the original back for special occasions but I still love the newer one as well and enjoy wearing it, it is one of my favourites and I adore the dry down. It has been a pleasure to be able to try out both versions.

SCBohemian
SCBohemian

Intrigued by the gothic packaging (and reviews), I impulsively ordered a bottle of John Galliano Eau De Parfum. After the initial aldehyde blast, I immediately noticed rose and peony. Minutes later, delicious middle notes of soft vanilla, lime, and tonka bean make an appearance...similar to Bacardi rum and classic Coca-Cola with a shot of vanilla syrup. Powdery violet, soft musk and a hint of anise comprise the base notes of this mysterious gem. Sillage is moderate; longevity is impressive--6+ hours! This enchanting elixir is different from any other perfume currently in major department stores. This fragrance definitely has a vintage vibe.

jrhmakeupartistry
jrhmakeupartistry

I was sucked in by the bottle, I admit it. I normally run from fragrances with notes such as these. If I smell incense and patchouli, that's a deal breaker for me. Patchouli especially really does not work with my chemistry. I have the original, not the reformulated version of this fragrance.

Let me start by saying this, in my opinion this is just a very wicked scent, if a liquid had the power and/or the capability to be a shapeshifter, this fragrance would define it. There is just such a thick denseness to this scent that is so hard to describe. It opens very green and settles into a very complex composition of floral notes that sit on the top but don't get enveloped by the incense/woody base. The first spray on my skin... I immediately did not like it, but like fine wine, fragrance needs time to develop and breathe on the skin. Every few minutes, one layer would settle down while pushing forward another floral layer. In my opinion, it takes a good while for this scent to settle down and work it's magic. I have to be in the right mood to wear it though...

JG has a very weird, almost dark historical smell to it. This is a fragrance that Vlad The Impaler would like his Princess to wear, and a scent that the Vampire Sisters from Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula probably bathed in before they toyed with their human prey. Deep, mysterious, intoxicating and incredibly sensual.

perfumeaddiction

OH MY GOSH!!! Does anyone who grew up in the 70-80's remember bottle cap candies? Especially the root beer flavor? That's what Galliano smells like at first.. then keeps getting better.

It was love and first spritz. Honestly this could be my new signature. Beautiful and does not resemble anything in my current collection. It's sweet but not that sickening sweet candy smell. It's got something else mixed in that I am trying to figure out. Sort of a spice note that helps muffle out any candy or cloying notes. All in all this is gorgeous. I think this is suitable for any age really. It's not vintage smelling or overly young it's just beautiful. As I type this the lovely aroma keeps floating off my arm and even after a half an hour it's going strong I continue to detect it and there is no anosmia there.

Quality: 10
Silage: 10
Lasting power: To be determined.

kiskionok
kiskionok

I have it, and I love it. Safe haven from all reformulations and low quality new products.
Longevity is extreme, sillage not overreaching ones personal space.

Momenti
Momenti

"Scent Of A Ghost" ***

You know she is near by this smell. The ghost has a sad soul -ghosts are souls! - and even if she disappears again, her scent will surround you.

In the past, she was a beautiful woman, and the memory of her beauty remains in her portraits around you.

You light a candle, the only way of preserving her smell all day: pale, ethereal, and ghoulish.

loischanricky
loischanricky

Last night I applied very little juice on my skin, because I thought this can help me fall asleep.

And then I was like
"OMG I SMELL SO GOOD!
OMG I SMELL SO GOOD!
OMG I SMELL SO GOOD!" (for like 1000 times)

so it is proved that John Galliano EDP is indeed fantastic and it does not help me fall asleep at all.

EDP: for special occasions only.
EDT: daily use

Nebelung
Nebelung

Smells like a church after a funeral but I looove it! Roses and incense collaborate to a winter,mystical and gothic scent that is out of the ordinary.It is very heavy and long-lasting,so use with caution because since it has a bit more incense it may be too cloying for many people around you!I had two roll-on 8ml samples and unfortunatelly i broke one by accident.Sadly i hear that it is now reformulated and has nothing to do with the original,so i am saving now this one sample like the apple of my eye!

Chocolate lady
Chocolate lady

Maybe I am not ready for that scent yet or it simply doesn't work for me. Honestly, for me this is the most horrific smell, ever. It makes me sick!

To me it smells like diet coke and somehow reminds me the smell of blood (very sharp and sweet) covered with powder and roses.

It is true that it is a dark and unusual scent, I can imagine zombies smell like that.

If anyone is interested i am swapping/selling it.

lord montifer

Love love love this! As a gothy girl who loves rose and incense I suppose I would! Mine is a 60ml made in France with a box with a sticker over the Selective Beauty label with Perfume Holding so assume it is the reformulation; but am loving it anyway so would love to smell the original! Comes over very violetty and powdery on me with a lovely smoky drydown. Definite love hearts vibe at the beginning. Top shelf!X

scarlett.angel

Thank you so much for this lovely explanation Angeldaisy! I'm so glad I read all the reviews here first, as I almost blind-bought the reformulated (current) version. I could only find 3 bottles left of the 90ml, but plenty of the 40-60ml. I will have to investigate this further.

Angeldaisy

Dear Scarlet Angel...it was reformulated by Perfume Holding and apparently it's not a patch on the original, which was by Selective Beauty. just check with buyers on eBay (or elsewhere) which name is on the bottle. Selective Beauty produced 60ml and 90ml for sure (not sure about 40ml). Perfume Holding produced 40ml and 60ml only.
i could only find 90ml (missing its original box), so i think i'll be getting a tester bottle. but if you ask the sellers, some of them still might have 60ml by selective beauty aswell.

i received an exquisite miniature today 7.5ml and have just tried it. it is sweet on the opening with big aldehydes and some dark fruits to begin.
then i get lemons and soapy flowers...then all the while, notes come and go - iris and lovely lavender...soapy...amber and patch base warms it up and balances the changes throughout for me. And (for a change) i am actually getting all the notes that everyone else gets. hoorah. incense and rose. oh my.
it is an amazing perfume with so many stunning changes and nuances (everything a perfume should be IMO) and so far, i love it! sweet and intoxicating. a massive wrist sniffer this one...i have arm ache.
i am sure you'll find yourself a bottle soon. enjoy it! there are a couple of 90ml bottles left on eBay from the my seller (without original box).

and if you like this, you might like: Illusions Noires Si Lolita Eau de Minuit Lolita Lempicka...on my skin, it's got the same kinda changing boozy purple lusty soapy thing, with different floral notes and replace the incense with pepper. but a bit lighter compared to Galliano. that one is discontinued also, but you can still find it.

scarlett.angel

Hi there! So I now know that this has been discontinued, and can only be found on eBay... but is it true about the reformulation... and if so, what is the difference between the current and original (vintage) version?

This fragrance has been number 1 on my 'Want List' since I became a member here, and I can only find it on eBay... So I just want to make sure I buy the right/legit one.

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: I just found on eBay there are lot's of listings available for the REFORMULATED EDP (60-90 ml format) - which I'm guessing is what most people have.

I found only 3 listings for the Original EDP (90 ml format).

Likute
Likute

Gothic flowers :)

orangetree
orangetree

I wanted to love this- but its just too extroverted for an introvert like me. I find it too strong and that little burnt note it has kept turning me off!

athenaSkellington
athenaSkellington

I have a 60ml made in France.
Strikes as heavy incense and lavender, would take some time for the cleaner rose note to emerge. The florals takes over later.
The opening is very much to my liking, and dries down to a more indoor appropriate clean tone is not a bad thing at all.
There is very strong character in it, unlike other insence oriented fragrances I came across of which are plain incense like.
Note that it is very strong. Sillage is the largest amoung the fragrances I have.
Could survive a long hot shower in the winter. Lasts about half a day on me.
Too bad my cats hates it

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Sweet, floral intro to incense incense... and yet, all the people who call it ghostly and haunting have a point, maybe iris is a scary flower... but it does have a cool dark passageways in an empty house chill under the warmth of incense and the sweetness of rose.

I love the bottle and I find the entire thing quite charming.

SilverZeru
SilverZeru

Review for the reformulation. I was apprehensive about this at first. I was afraid the incense would dominate the fragrance. I smelled a pleasant incense, a bit sweet which are surrounded by the rose and powdery violet notes. I can see why people described this as a bit dusty and musty as well. It is dusty and musty but in a good way. Longevity is good 8+ hours and projection strong to moderate. Simply beautiful.

Leah lilly
Leah lilly

Very interesting, nice bottle and strong scent. I bought for mom a 60 ml which about 65$ and it was very hard to find it in Sweden but it's worth the price.

Dinkum
Dinkum

(90 ml bottle, original formula)

I mostly get the incense and lavender. Smells much more expensive than it is. Can't stop smelling my wrist when wearing this.

miha.vld
miha.vld

A beautiful incense-rose-powdery perfumeA good quality for low price.Lasts few hours and it's perfect for evenings.It's a blind buy and I have no regrets.

babydoll77
babydoll77

OMG I can't stop laughing because despite reviews to the contrary, this scent is so clean and soapy on my skin...where is the darkness, the mystery, the WOW?!?!?! So sad that this is so "plain" with a "dusty" drydown...NOOOOOOOOOO, another failed purchase :/

LDzneladze
LDzneladze

This is the fragrance that i bought for my wife several years ago, really love it. Not for everyone though.

Now, this is (was) some truly compelling designer stuff and, of course, they had to mess up with it.

Original Formula:

A tremendous balmy / incensey floral with a dense yet smooth texture. Green aldehydes, rose and white floral patterns on a woody / ambery (as opposed to woodyamebry) base with incensey facets. Perfectly unisex, easy to like yet anything but dull. A true gem in the designer panorama. It could have very easily been one of the most successful latest Amouages or whatever other fancy-niche offering.

Current Formula:

They completely messed up with it. Thinner, more screechy, overly synth and in the end, dull. They amped up the iris and, apparently, this resulted in an overall greyness that didn't play in the fragrance favor. If you liked the original John Galliano but you can't find it, I'd suggest to completely dismiss the current iteration and jump directly to Etat Libre D'Orange Archive 69. Same perfumer (Christine Nagel), same style.

Second review for this.

GIVE IT TIME. It is, umm.. quite striking at first, to put it mildly! After the initial medicinal twang (not a word often used to describe perfumes but it seems appropriate), after well over an hour it becomes an intoxicatingly dark and sexy fragrance, that makes me think of Victorian powder rooms (if I'd ever been in one :-S ), or a vixens boudoir, filled with silks and velvets! Definitely wont suit everyone, but well worth a try.

Sillage and longevity -unbeatable, lasts days. Seriously, if every perfume was like this I would smell glorious 24 hours a day!

turtle91
turtle91

I love the top notes (which only lasts a few minutes) and base notes. Middle notes are rather soapy but I think I would grow to like it. The top notes smell the "darkest". I have the 60ml version, which is a bit weak and does not last very long. I think I have figured out what aldehydes smell like in perfumes - French soap.

solitaire
solitaire

My late Nanna (born in 1907) had a bottle of some Spanish perfume in her wardrobe. I remember smelling it when I was a kid - mid 70s last century. The perfume was vintage already, but it smelled exactly the same. Exactly. Dewy rose and iris on a bed of incense. I wonder if John Galliano ever came across that fragrance that my Nanna had? Maybe it was his inspiration? Who knows?

Perfumegoddess23
Perfumegoddess23

Vampy, Boudoir , Romeo & Juliet vintage timeless...... This Smells intoxicating it captivates feminine beauty & injects the pin up era into the air , such a tantalizing vibrant dark sexy scent, This envokes Antique & high fashion grundge attached with a burst of seduction that would get any love interest weak at the knees ! This smell belongs to bold authentic retro glam beauties that love a dark vampy twist on old hollywood, this is what a vixen smells like, must be worn with dark sexy lips to envoke the temptresss & Warrior princess like mood that suckers you into this twisted world from a distant past if Mortisha feom Adams Family were a fragrance she would be this diamond here! This agrees with my skin & lasted allday! Never over spray this, less is more! & prepare to be complimented & to be remembered as a goddess that smells younique & vintage

Megamind

This perfume opens with a burst of aldehyde and angelica. It's so beautiful but unfortunately it lasts less than a minute. Then I detect incense with lavender, iris and a hint of rose on the background. There is just enough quantity of musk giving this moderate sweetness and slowing down a huge incense power. It perfectly melts in incense giving a little creaminess to this scent. Depending on the skin chemistry musk either turns into creaminess or powder. It's so well blended!
Amber and patchouli are mentioned as well in the dry down notes. Usually this mixture results in oriental and powdery scent but hopefully these notes are hardly detectable on my skin. It's interesting but my husband said that he can smell orange. I suppose it comes from bergamot but I do not detect it myself.
Definitely is in my "love" category. This perfumes brings me to another world.

Megamind

I have an original edp version.
it can be only blind purchase as is not distributed in big parfumeries.No way to get a sample.
Frankly speaking I was so worried that this purchase would not meet my expectations. Personally I do not want smell like an old lady or like a church. Hopefully It's different. Well, "gothic", "balsamic" and "dark" is a good wording for the description. The form and a colour of the bottle perfectly reflects this astonishing juice.
After several days of wearing I lOVE it. I immediately purchased the second bottle even if I could not wear it often. It's not an innocent everyday flagrance.
Very long lasting power and projection BTW.

Alison Wonderland
Alison Wonderland

I think I need to buy this simply because of the bottle and I owe it the signed copy of The Ocean at the End of the Lane I own (my most prized possession...Neil Gaiman drew a monster inside!)

The review below me sounds amazing, will read all the other reviews before deciding but the fact its also purple (my favorite color) and the low price may be enough to sway me.

I will have to wait until next month as I'm budgeting myself, but it looks like it may be between this or an Anna Sui or Vivianne Westwood for my gorgeous gothic perfume fix.

Sorry this is not a proper review I will edit this when I buy, some perfumes just have me all excited! >.

KSC7
KSC7

I really wanted to fall in love with this perfume but it just didn't mix well with my skin chemistry. I love dark, sexy scents but on me I can't smell anything but powder. My friend mentioned to me that it really didn't suit me too which confirmed that it really wasn't for me.

The bottle is beautiful. The scent did become more bearable after several hours but it's just not for me sadly. I have a 60ml bottle should anyone want to swap or take this off my hands.

Mohd93
Mohd93

What a beauty! I'm glad I blind bought this, it's such a beautiful, enchanting scent. I wish they made bigger bottles, I noticed it's becoming hard to find, I hope I can get this easily next time after I empty my new bottle.

For me, it starts off with citrusy Aldehydes, although I hate overpowering citrus, I really like this. It becomes much better a few minutes later, with a lovely smoky Iris + Rose + Violet combo. Aldehydes is still there but not as strong as in the opening. Very good sillage and longevity.

This feels vintage, classy and dark. It's like taking a trip to Medieval time. Also, I grew up in the 90s and this beautiful perfume gives me nostalgia, I feel like I've smelled it before, when I was younger. As an Arab, I can say this definitely has a bit of an Arabian vibe to it, maybe it's the Incense, sometimes we use incense (which comes in a variety of smells such as Jasmine, Oud etc.) in our homes to make them smell better, especially when we have guests coming over.

Overall, a very beautiful, smoky, magical masterpiece. Added to my Re-purchase list.

Shimoldeam

Dark and sexy!! The initial spray made my eyes water to be honest - a balsamic almost spicy blast, but it soon dries down to a soft violet incense, but somehow powdery too. Its feminine, but so dark and mysterious! Not a scent for everyone, definitely try before you buy.

Sillage is impressive - I had lovely wafts of this all day, and even after I showered I could still detect it on my wrist! So unusual, incomparable!

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

it's both warm,comforting yet sexy and mysterious....10/10

Ivyswirl
Ivyswirl

Despite my initial disappointment at first sniff, I love this! At first, I thought it smelled nice, full of powdery iris, aldehydes and a smidgen  of rose jam almost with a tinge of incense, rather 'transparent' I thought. It conjured up the image of a beautiful but cold and untouchable woman standing alone in a cold church at Christmas. I don't feel it's a perfume that invites people in, not in the way some florientals seduce you.
Naturally though, I figured that with my rhino dry skin it will vanish in seconds! Nope. An entire day at work and I can still smell a deep, earthy yet powdery smell of amber, musk and patchouli. It's now a bit more human and inviting, even warm almost. I even got compliments from my colleagues in the morning, which is a rarity! Suspect I'll be keeping this in the permanent collection.

Lipglossjunkee
Lipglossjunkee

Ok, my bottle was 'Made in France' and I don't know if that's good or bad in the grand scheme of things, but I DO know it smells lovely, the bottle itself is pretty awesome looking, and I love the box it comes in...
Ok, let's describe the scent:
I get a smidge of Victorian soapiness in the opening---those would be the burst of aldehydes/bergamot/and I'm guessing the Angelica, although my nose isn't sure that's what I'm smelling. :) It is not unpleasant, but too much could be headache inducing (again, that's the aldehydes, I get that reaction to a lot of them).
I've been wearing this one for 2 days and I truly like it...the middle notes are a bit of dusty patch, incense and sweet lipsticky violet....that softens into powdery violet, amber, and musk on the drydown, with that layer of incense throughout. It has a lovely sweet/smokey thing going on that is very reminiscent of times gone by. It is by no means sharp on me, nor is it a beast (but then, my skin eats up scents). Inexpensive and well worth the blind buy.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Original EDP (90 ml format)

The original, early version of John Galliano (EDP, 90 ml bottle) is a fantastic, complex, incredibly well-crafted green-powdery floral scent exuding all the composition talent of Christine Nagel (which I recognized here even before knowing she was actually the nose behind this scent). Since the very first sniff, the original Galliano EDP is a harmony played around powder and balsamic notes, with a fresh, tart aromatic hint of citrus and bergamot, then green notes, soapy rose-white flowers permeated with a gorgeous sort of crystalline brightness all over, a hint of vanilla, amber, cumin, a sweet-woody note on the base, white musks, discreet chalky aldehydes. What surprises me the most here is the peculiar texture, which is really thin, transparent, somehow “grey-ish”, incredibly clean yet complex and “vertical”, with a stunning richness and deepness of notes; it is decidedly all on the “fresh-spicy-floral” side, so all rather silky, fresh and dusty (no creaminess, no “juicy” wet flowers)... at the same time, all incredibly sharp, crisp, luminous and invigorating. Apart from other Nagel’s masterworks, I also thought of L’eau de Givenchy and that kind of “fresh” green-floral scents. Violet and iris compose the powdery accord, and while the reformulated version contains more (synthetic) iris, here I actually get more violet. The drydown is impeccable, always slightly grey-ish (I guess because of aldehydes too) but at the same time crisp, balsamic, talc, halfway foggy and celestial, with a musky-powdery breeze melting with herbal-green notes. It constantly changes,yet remaining perfectly consistent. The persistence is long and close to skin. Far more discreet and refined than the subsequent version, and also more elegant, much better composed and with higher quality materials – if you want my advice, seek for this early version only (pretty easy to spot, they made it only in 90ml format, while the subsequent one was marketed in 40/60 ml bottles). Incredibly pleasant. Mandatory for all floral scents lovers (and for niche enthusiasts which snub designer scents... well, I still have to find niche floral scents which are able to stand close to this good!).

8,5-9/10
______

Reformulated EDP (40/60 ml format)

Now, the subsequent reformulated version - which I’ve been told was produced elsewhere, this leading to a new formula & new materials that affected the quality (boy, they did...). The opening, for instance: far bolder, more pungent, more sour than in the original version, and also at the same time more fruity and sweet. Basically: more tacky, or better say more “flashy”. By this I mean all smells richer, but an artificial, saturated, harsh and “on-steroid” kind of rich. All notes smell like if they’ve been inflated with some weird kind of gas. No trace of the discreet, complex, naturally-evolving refinement of the 90 ml EDP with its balsamic and crystalline sharpness; here's all more loud, more spicy, with a bolder and more pungent synthetic feel all over. I get quite a lot less vanilla, less flowers (and surely, far less “silky” than there). The structure is roughly the same, just all here is heavier, tackier, more synthetic and camphoraceous. Plus (but that’s not a defect), I also get a whiff of carnation here – something I didn’t get in the early version. On the drydown it’s all even more dry, artificial and synthetic, more heavy and above all terribly linear, pretty much identical to itself for hours - while the evolution of the first EDP is mutating, complex, “evolving” in its true meaning, reaching a peak of foggy-talc powdery refinement which you won’t really experience with this more recent version (that on the contrary, after three hours is still the exact same synthetic floral polaroid). Now I don’t want to overestimate the differences, the reformulated version is still decently nice... as much decent as just incomparable to the original EDP to pretty much any extent.

6-6,5/10

Lacrimosa
Lacrimosa

❀ I was mesmerized by this perfume!
It's diabolic n' dark but at the same times smells like catharsis of a christian soul...
...such a confrontational sense & thought for my mind..!

ATTIA**
ATTIA**

This is one concentrated perfume!! this is how perfume should be long lasting.Its got all the right notes to it,i feel happy when i wear it.xxx

boheme_maras
boheme_maras

I just receive a bottle of 60ml. This perfume is loud strong powdery and very sensual!! I think its on the same family with Loulou I mean both are powdery incensy floral monsters. Loulou is based on jasmine Galliano is based on violets! This bottle is gorgeous and I think its a perfume with the same character with L'agent ! I really like it! Dark boudoir vintage lipstick scents blended with lilac and incense fumes.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

I can see the similarities between JG and Lyric Man, both of which I own. However, there are obvious differences that one can easily detect. Let's put it this way. If I smell JG on someone, I will not mistake it for Lyric Man.

JG to me is very aldehydic. There is also sweet powedery in it that I believe comes from amber. Rose is there but not a major player despite the rose relief on the bottle.

aber19

I finally bought the original perfume because when I tried the reformulated 60mls EDP smelt weak, bitter, alcoholic and really terrible on me. There is a considerable difference. I was tempted to buy a EDP 90mls bottle of the original when it was only $29.00. I guess it could not hurt, at least the bottle is lovely.

Firstly, it has less lemon and bitterness. The main notes are rose, lavender and violet. I would be bold to say it has the original Anna Sui smell, linked to lemon and rose. I can understand the night and bedroom fragrance of seduction. The curiosity of a synthetic smell is unique. Would I classify this as a Gothic smell? On me, perhaps not, but a lavender, lemony rose vintage smell. In the beginning, I smelt Dior's addict briefly and there is a incense smell linked into the lemon. The richness reminds of YSL original NU without the sweet, boozy and cinnamon notes and toned down a lot. It lingers on the skin nicely as the lemon and frankincense merge has the sweet rose is trying showcase its sweetness. As present I have been wearing this for only 15 mins and have only spray it once on the skin. It is quite strong. I can smell it about 30 cms away from the wrist. Would I say it is a masterpiece, well not really. Compared to Midnight poison no. I would say Midnight poison is more Gothic. It is a fantastic bedroom fragrance for intimacy with a loved one or to smell on yourself. It is fragrance where you are always smelling your wrist. Now the lovely raspberry jam rose smell is becoming more pronounced.I would say this fragrance may take a while to appreciate. Now it transforms to a little like the fantastic Hermes Rouge original. The rose now becomes the masterpiece as violets and lavender are surpassed. Because this a rare perfume, I had to have it. If you spray a small amount on the skin or clothes it is wearable everyday. If you douse yourself with the perfume, you become overpowering. Less is more with this perfume. If you want to try this perfume properly. You need to purchase only the 90mls bottle, because there are too many reformulated versions in smaller bottles. The reformulated version is really horrible and bitter so beware. I would give a 7/10 because the lemon smell limits the sweetness of the floral array. I wish it smelled more sweeter, less linear and more richer. For me the perfume is more conservative, church like rather than artistic and really out there. Finally it smells better on clothes than the skin. It lasts longer and sweeter. It smells lovely in the end similar to Visit for Women Azzaro for women. On clothes it lasts for over 10 hrs.

Turtledove
Turtledove

People talk about how gothic this one is, and I don't quite get that. It does have a pronounced lemony church-incense note at the beginning, but it's blended with floral/aldehyde notes in such a way that it feels stylishly retro, maybe like a lighthearted 50s pinup rendition of dark and gothic. It would go great with red lips and pin curls!

I can also see maybe bohemian/artsy though. It feels comfortable to wear for me, unlike most "noir"/gothic kinds of fragrances, which almost always bug me. I REALLY like the fruity/honeyed rose note in the base, it's a teensy bit synthetic, but it doesn't take away from the overall effect I think. It's lovely rose, very warm and sweet, with a touch of spice or smoke to it. It reminds me a little of a warmer version of Pacifica's Persian Rose.

apndx
apndx

This is a splendid Halloween perfume. Just went to my local groceries shop in my creepy black dress and a trail of this incense filled intoxicating fume. The feeling was quite unreal, at least for me :)

lirael00
lirael00

This perfume kinda gives me the creeps but that's one more reason why I own it and think it's a really special one. First of all I love the gothic witchy look of the bottle I think it really suits the scent itself. The opening is very strong, but if you wait for a little bit you'll get this amazing iris-incense smell. When I smell it I'm brought to this wonderful dark twisted world. It really is not a 'today' kinda smell, I would say it belongs to different era or maybe even different world. I think this scent would be perfect for witches and queens in fairytales. It's very complex, femminine, creative and intriguing. I'm very impressed by it, but I have to be in a certain mood to wear it and to really feel it's power. Love it!

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Stunning floriental.

Galliano is everything I love in a modern scent - balsamic notes, iris, patchouli, and incense. In other words, a powerhouse with fantastic flair!

Sadly for me, the only 'modern' note in the composition ( PEONY ) doesn't mesh at all with my chemistry, creating harshness and imbalance where lush warmth is intended. Even so, I feel very privileged to have met this beauty.

Conclusion:

Galliano has my respect for giving us such a dazzling creation for the modern perfume market. Five Stars!!!

malencar
malencar

EDP is a sexy and flirty scent! I dont get much insence ...definitely best for night time! Perfect for a Vampire ...not really unisex ...but not only for girls .... Very unique ... Very Galliano

nikkibom
nikkibom

Received my bottle yesterday. I think I have found a spicey incense that I have been searching for so long!! Cannot stop sniffing. Smells exactly like when entering Orthodox church - the incense and the candle wax. Will treasure this for a long time.

Bublegum
Bublegum

Such sexy and mysterious perfume. I love this one. Maybe it is the incense, but it has depth and mystery. Definitely a night perfume. It has big longevity (more than 12 hours) and radiates in 2 metres (6 feet).I cannot distinct between the florals since I am only getting an incense blast, but I love incense. I give it 9/10.

archivist

The notes sound demure, but this is a smolderingly lovely scent - the incense is (to my nose) sitting fairly far back in the notes. That might be due to the fact that I've been sniffing a lot of full-burner incenses lately. To me, this is simply the most perfect violet perfume I've smelled - violet often goes melancholy on my skin, or too make-up powdery, or it smells like lipstick (good lipstick, but still). A bunch of years back I was looking/sampling/reading/generally hunting for a perfume that smelled much like Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly. With swaps of decants and samples and blind buys, I think I worked my way through every violet on the market at the time. I never succeeded in finding a violet that matched. I moved on. And voila - this is it. If you love this scent, I think you'll find that the Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly hair products will match and complement it! They're VERY similar.

auroramaria
auroramaria

Giog since when in Italy we would use poor materials in perfumes? After all we are number one in the world for so many things and quality is our trade mark in fashion,food,accessories,fast cars and style of living.
Sorry I had to get this out of my system.

lilywhite13
lilywhite13

Well said Beatrix75! That comment about money and intelligence was totally pathetic! It's a matter of taste and we all know that "De gustibus non est disputandum".

beatrix75

Giog!!! this is not your problem if people like what they like here people write opinions about perfume does not require intelligence or money's !! not ??

Musume
Musume

I actually prefer the reformulation of this perfume, the original had an astringent drydown that I didn't find comfortable to wear. The reformulation starts like the original: aldehydic, powdery in a laundry fashion, but then you're left with an amazing vanilly-incensey violet scent. I find it very victorian-style, it should be the perfume that Eva Green wears in the Penny Dreadful show.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

I am glad I didnt review this scent immediately, first I tried it on paper and all I got was a kind of purple fruit, BUT, maybe sensing the potential I gave it another go on my skin, and, omg,what a difference!!! This is a beast of a scent!! There is a distinct smell of violet and bergamot oozing through incense,heady,strong and alluring, this is a kind of powdery intense, retro,nostalgic and intoxicating juice. It is best IMO to wear it in the evening and during a colder weather as it would be too heavy for the summer months, nevertheless this is a great scent and very feminine.

Leetronf
Leetronf

If you want the original, hunt the 90 ml, because when they reformulated the scent did not produce a plus size big. That's why there are so many 60 or 40 ml Galliano at bargain prices, are reformulated that are not worth anything. Look for the original, that was Great ;)

malika1979
malika1979

It's a disturbing scent for me, very different on many level from commercial perfumes, more interesting, you start to ask questions like after a good movie or something! I personally don't like to wear it, it was a gift, but I had a bizarre feeling wearing it, as if I was wearing a clothing not matching my style.

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

John Galliano opens with an extremely dry soapy rose/incense note (similar to that of the experience of sophywt below) that wouldn't smell out of place in the supermarket laundry aisle. I find it hard to deal with it at this point, but where it shines is the drydown. Waking up in the morning, the harshness has departed to be replaced with a soft rose with a touch of incense. I certainly understand the associations with the 1920s/boudoirs/Jack the Ripper and this as close to a Gothic rose as I've experienced (much more so than L'Artisan Voleur de Roses, which many people seem to associate with the Gothic scene)

beatrix75

I do not know how i would explain but the plum jam reminds me yes my mummys plum jam speaking very positively delicious sweet wonderful delicate and feminine mystic !!!

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

As soon as I received this fragrance, I bathed in it, pretty much.

I find this certainly a very whimsical, romantic, feminine scent- as the imagery associated with it implies: very boudoir-inspired, vintage, powdery and synthetic. I am not usually a fan of scents of this nature, but I think the incense note saves this from being a little too "old school"/aldehylic/full-of-iris, for me!

I like that you can detect every flower, somehow! Iris first, then a combination of violet & lavender. While it's very "Moulin Rouge", it's also reminiscent of fancy bath soaps/relaxing luxury bath salts, a la the purple flowers. And then of course, the dry-down is straight sweet incense.

Certainly something I'm not going to be wearing every single day, or spritz on liberally for work in the morning - but it's a novelty in my collection, and I'm addicted to the feel of this fragrance!

Edit: Hah, "Not wear every single day" - yeah right! I wear this one to death!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Beautiful bottle and a box, very artists and romantic work, however the perfume is heavy on essence with synthetic origins, nothing else is going on there, unfortunately this perfume didn't work for me, I wanted it for a long time.

halalula1234
halalula1234

What a gorgeous scent!! Wow! I am transported to a boudoir in Moulin Rouge upon spraying this. The scent contains a very dominant Iris note which stays prominent throughout the application, its absolutely beautiful! Long lasting for a very affordable price + amazing presentation.

Morrigaan
Morrigaan

There's not much to say about it, other than whenever I wear this perfume I feel like I'm in a french boudoir! My compliments to Monsieur Galliano.

sophywt
sophywt

EDP version is totally different from the EDT version. The latter one smells almost crystal bright floral, while the EDP turns out to be weird on my skin.

It's a very typical dry soap powder rose. Too dry, it reminds me of talc stone - a soft stone material that people use for praticing traditional Chinese seal cutting. I learned this craft in my school days, and I still remember the dry but soft chill touch of talc powder left on all over my palms. Now, John Galliano EDP combines this with the super soapy notes together. There are certainly other notes, but so less impressive that I only remember the scent's super dry soapy notes.

I won't wear this one, but think it's a interesting one. Skin chemistry varies vastly that I saw seldom people get same impression on this.

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

English:

John Galliano EDP was one of several perfumes that I had to try several times to understand that he came, for I confess that despite being a highly potent perfume that involves from the first spritz it to my humble nostrils not "spent" more Floral Sweetened poignant one. He's talented hands and nostrils Christine Nagel, a nice lady who had created a bit of scented perfumes that make our heads and skin (Exclusive lines Dior, Cartier's, Giorgio Armani Exclusives, etc..) In this big world of my God. In trials I did on this fragrance realized he is not pure aldehydes as many weave to review it, now in its out you realize yes, aldehydic notes, but fused to a bergamot juice with ice and splashes of brains Angelic and this initial mixture gives a memento to red fruits in syrups that can confuse even the nostrils for a moment. From there, John Galliano EDP becomes a very impressive floralzão and pulsating on the skin to evolve; hats off to the spectacle that is the Peony in his heart, something sublime and white and determined, and refined, sleek and decided. The Rose with Violet are also extremely evident at this stage of perfume and pave the way for the touch of makeup that Iris is the large balcony of this fragrance, since this heavy scent of makeup goes to its base it is possible to see the wonderful incense made from raw cedar wood, burned in roots of Patchouli giving a dazzling end smoking; gives also feel, subtly some amber notes wanting to excel, but they are shy and so close to the end it takes a great effort to see them. Conclusion after many experiments the same! It is a scent that is worth having it, especially those who like the portentous perfumão line background with sweet and semi-Oriental, as fixed footprint and design very well, me 10 hours with few doses. Do not know your EDT version, however endeavor from then to know it, because that's EDT, in my view, are always more open, shiny and happy.

I dedicate this review to my friend Mademoiselle_C!

Português:

John Galliano EDP foi um dos vários perfumes que tive que experimentar inúmeras vezes até entender a que ele veio, pois confesso que apesar de ser um perfume altamente potente que envolve a partir da primeira borrifada, ele para minhas humildes narinas não “passava” de mais um Floral Adocicado pungente. Ele é das mãos e narinas talentosas de Christine Nagel, uma agradável senhora que criara um bocado de perfumes cheirosos que fazem nossas cabeças e pele (Linhas exclusivas Dior, Cartie’s, Giorgio Armani Exclusivos, etc.) nesse mundão de meu Deus. Nas experimentações que fiz sobre esta fragrância percebi que ele não é puro Aldeídos como muitos tecem ao resenhá-lo, já em sua Saída você percebe sim, as notas aldeídicas, porém fundidas a um suco de Bergamotas com gelo e toques de miolos de Angélicas, e esta mistura inicial dá uma lembrança a frutas vermelhas em caldas que podem até confundir as narinas por um momento. A partir daí, John Galliano EDP se torna um floralzão bem imponente e que pulsa sobre a pele ao evoluir; tiro o chapéu para o espetáculo que é a Peônia em seu Coração, algo sublime bem branco e decidido, além de requintado, fino e decidido. A Rosa com a Violeta também são extremamente evidentes nesta fase do perfume e abrem alas para o toque de maquiagem da Íris que é a grande sacada desta fragrância, uma vez que este aroma pesado de maquiagem vai até à sua Base que é possível perceber o maravilhoso Incenso feito a partir de madeira bruta de Cedro, queimados em raízes de Patchouli dando uma defumação final mirabolante; dá para sentir também, de forma sutil umas notas ambaradas querendo se sobressair, mas são tímidas e tão próximas ao fim que é preciso um esforço muito grande para percebê-las. Conclusão após tantos experimentos do mesmo?! É um perfume que vale a pena tê-lo, principalmente quem gosta da linha perfumão portentoso com fundo adocicado e com pegada semi Oriental, pois fixa e projeta muitíssimo bem, em mim 10 hs com poucas doses aplicadas. Não conheço sua versão EDT, porém me esforçarei a partir de então a fim de conhecê-la, por conta de que os EDT’s, na minha concepção, sempre são mais abertos, brilhosos e alegres.

Dedico esta Resenha à minha Amiga Mademoiselle_C!

I love iris, incense, angelica and Christine Nagel (Madness!). So I kind of instinctually knew that I would love John Galliano.
Angelica is one of my favorite notes and sadly underused in the world of perfumery. It is herbal and bittersweet and entirely unique. When I first sprayed this one, I nearly swooned from the massive dose of angelica that wafted up at me.
I have to agree that there is something slightly gothic to this fragrance, but to me it's very tongue in cheek. It's fashion gothic, and that's very in line with John Galliano's aesthetic.
So no, nothing spooky here.. just some dark lipstick and fishnets.
But that aside, this really is a "love" for me. It just hasn't filled the graveyard dirt, cobwebs and carroty iris void in my life. I may just have to bite the bullet and acquire Lutens' Iris Silver Mist.

nise
nise

Sadly NO violets whatsoever on me which I was really hoping for (I don't smell any rose or lavender either), but it has the most amazing smokey incense all the way through. After the initial aldehydic green blast, I get a peek of bergamot which doesn't last long. After an hour it is gorgeously warm, sweet and smokey and stays that way, mellowing right down to sweet smokey musk. One spray on each wrist is quite sufficient, sillage is huge as is longevity. I could still smell it on my wrists the next morning.

EDIT: this is not just incense, but frankincense, which I love.

FURTHER EDIT: This perfume has grown on me so quickly, crept under my skin and into my mind. Keep sniffing my wrists to get another fix. I do believe I am hooked.

This perfume has so many things going on, I get wafts of different scents each time I spray it. I'm sure I get a whiff of peppermint in the top notes too.

chimidoro
chimidoro

Warm and welcoming.
Aldehydic jammy incense.

What can I say that hasn't already been said before?
This is truly a work of art to my nose!
It also contains the most realistic and alluringly attractive incense (especially in the drydown) that I've ever encountered/experienced in a perfume.

Churches, yes. But where I differ is that I'm outside of the church. I'm on the church grounds and it's been raining heavily. An abundance of sodden, wilted roses - left lovingly, intermingling with candle wax, smoldering incense, and the rising scent of the dampen external walls of the church are drifting about me as I gasp for air between sobs.

This could indeed be a boudoir. But where I differ here is that it's not the nineteen twenties for me, though I can certainly see something of the boudoir in this.
Like it was meant to stand beside the eponymous Anna Sui scent, surrounded by lanterns, empty bird cages, strewn stockings and (preferably fake?) fur coats and lace underskirts.

Strangely, this is the sort of scent I can envisage each and every one of the women who were horrendously slaughtered by Jack the Ripper to have been doused in. For me this is the décolleté of the dead amid the stark formality of death.
The bittersweet, earthy & potent, sorrowful memory of a woman. It's the afterlife with a memorable presence left behind.
A feeling of unrest. Disquiet. Smog hangs heavy in this street, with the dreamily sweet scents of a bakery nearby and the wry crows of laughter from a brewery. A woman lays alone, forgotten.
What I feel for this scent is a romanticized version of a grim reality.

Somebody in a review voiced the opinion that this is a "modern vintage" fragrance, and I agree one hundred percent. This is a timeless style recreated to meet more modern standards.

This is at once a heavy juice while remaining subtle.
The sillage with two sprays is enough to fill a room. It mellows in around three hours, but remains quite strong and very present.
Beautiful. For me this is a scent to rival all scents.

Wholeheartedly agreeing with the links made to D&G's red cap scent! But for me this is darker, sweeter - more brooding and complex.
Similar, in fact, to the pre-reformulation of Givenchy's Ange ou Demon.

This demon juice lasts extremely well. One spray can last from morning til night!
All being said and done, it's actually not such a dark scent; it all depends on your mood at the time of wearing it. (Personally I've found myself prone to applying this scent liberally on a hot summer's day!)
It's heavenly. It's contradictory. It's balanced perfectly with a sweet jammy aspect, keeping it lively. The iris here is done to perfection - without becoming a powdery overload - it's like the softest of caresses, and there's also a cool hint of fallen green apples left to sit in the sun.
It just toys with being dark without being overtly so. Not a down-heartening heavy oriental/spicy scent with a "been there, done that, bought the (500 different versions of this) perfume" kind of vibe.
Also - it's distinct from other aldehydic scents I've tried. Though I do see the similarity to D&G red cap, it's not so alike that you'd buy only one of them and to hell with the other.
My female pet cat seems very taken by this one, too. (Obviously a very intelligent and refined cat. My male cat prefers Escada's Cherry in the air).

One negative I have found is that the bottles are extremely hard to spray! (My fingers are not long enough!)
Perhaps Galliano had in mind the spindly fingers of a spider to be apt for using this scent? Or maybe this was meant for men?
This is one of the few fragrances in the world that, if I smelled it on somebody else, I'd find myself unable to resist asking what it was.
It's incredibly feminine, but I do believe that a man could pull this off well.

Unique, opulent, enticing, sweet, alluring and charismatic. This just screams "signature scent!" and I'm very proud to have it in my collection.
It's one of my favorite perfumes.

(Review for the "Selective Beauty" 90ml EDP, made in France.)

pravda48
pravda48

On me this is a heady, deliciously dark (conceptually) blend of fine incense and deep purple florals that manages to be 'light' in feeling. There are touches of rose and something sweetly spicy beyond just the incense; a lovely kind of patch w/ bergamot, methinks. (My bf's comment was "mmm, it reminds me of cocoa powder!", I can see where he got a sort of raw cacao spiciness impression.)

Definitely powdery, but in the most beautiful way. I.e. not just a non-descriptive 'baby powder' kind of scent, but soft aldehydic powder. Like the powder impression of a stick of fine incense, or apparently a tad like dark cacao powder ;)

Will continue to test but this one may be fb for me!

P.S. 7 hrs later this is a luscious vanilla (?) & purple florals (lavender, violet, & iris all still here) skin scent. Mmm now that the sillage isn't so big I have my wrist glued to my nose. Mmm...

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,
What can I say about Galliano's ?
all I can say is Oohh ca va mademoiselle !.

Wow, I got to try 2 versions the toilette and perfume of Galliano's and it did impress me a lot and I lament to hear its been discontinued .

The perfume on its own without putting it on me was sensually complex that I could not tell what note was talking , but I smelt it all in singing in harmony to my senses that make my eyes roll when inhaling her

And this perfume ,has that lovely classic French style of perfume that many before us have been enchanted by . Its very without a doubt feminine ,seductive and a lot of class of character..
And perfume has a little naughty side to it but in a flirty way that isn't cheap or annoying for this perfume is very confident and has silk like charisma that just feels suave and good to the senses.

On me, both toilette and perfume did not make a difference on my chemistry like it did on other's, in this case Im not complaining, because its a lovely perfume and took quite a liking to my chemistry,
The violets and roses definitely came to life on my chemistry which made it a very creamy rosy experience like smelling high end sensual lipsticks, inviting you to get closer and closer, more intimate than before and enjoying the sensual and intimate world, like reading off a novel of Anais Nin or becoming one of her character for someone else's intimate sensual experience.

I recommend this perfume to those who enjoy fine quality French perfumes, this has a good modest balance of elegance and sensuality, with a whisper of romance , if your body chemistry is compatible with the perfume of course.

This perfume has a lot of charisma and character to it that will make you stand out in a sensual way and very bewitching I must say so. Definitely a exquisite gift and experience.

Viva Galliano and the house of Galliano, please bring this back !

Henriette
Henriette

My 60 ml bottle of EdP says Made in France (on the box the wording SELECTIVE BEAUTY, 1 Rue des Blés, 93210 Saint Denis La Plaine, Paris, France) which attests its original formulation, so no concern about lower quality for this size as expressed in another review.

John Galliano truly resembles Chanel N°22, a sort of bad sister to clean, polite Chanel N°22.
It's Chanel N°22 with a luscious evening gown instead of a simple school uniform with regimental tie;
it's Chanel N°22 wading through puddles on a pouring rainy day instead of sitting comfortably home sipping Earl Grey tea watching rain out of the window in a comfy sitting room.
No other instances given, you get the picture.
Could a woman be wearing and loving both? I do.
Must a woman decide which is better than the other? No, she needn't.
May a woman feel like an elegant, polite lady and minutes after (or before) feel like a little child wishing to laugh out loud instead of simply smiling? She has every right to do so.

ecerusen
ecerusen

bottle full of peace. when this stuff is on me, i become a cat who purrrsss all day :) its notes are a bit out of my knowledge so i cant say that "this note is high, this note is low" but all that i can say is this scent smells like church and i became addict.

ON ME(capital letters for personal opinion) it smells exactly the same with coco chanel's last phase(because of incense, both of them used incense successful.no synthetic incense in them) but this one was more acceptable because CC creates headache on me.

anyway, at first you can think it is strange and hard to wear but after using 2-3 times you'll get used to and maybe become addict like me.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

On me, this is the most mysterious violet-incense that is at once shaded and goth, but shimmering and radiant at the same time. I have never smelled a violet that was as vampy as this one -- usually to me, the violet note smells very melancholy and introspective (like Apres l'Ondee), but not this! And Jolie Madame's joyful violet seems too pretty-pretty compared to this one.

I wore this to Sleep No More in New York City, and it was as if the fragrance was made specifically for that occasion. I could see Elisabeta's character from Bram Stoker's Dracula wearing this JG gem. Love.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Had sampled this once before and thought it smelled of gin on my skin. Yuck. However, I could not stop thinking about it, because the notes sound so sublime. So... ordered a FB, 60 ml. It arrived today and, omg! is it ever pretty! I am finally getting incense from it, and the Iris and Violet come through nice and strong. The Bergamot serves to brighten it nicely. All in all, I find this Galliano to be an enchanting fragrance.

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

From the shared notes of angelica, rose, amber, and incense, I imagine this smells like Creed's Angelique Encens, which I am dying to get my hands on. In complete ignorance, I feel like Marlene Diedrich when I wear this, and I completely love it. As romantic-sexy as it comes! I'm going to have to start stockpiling while I still can.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I bought this blind because I love the smell of incense and who could resist that bottle?
On first spray it smelt like shampoo to me - not an altogether bad thing just not what expected from a designer fragrance, the middle notes really didn't smell too great, which surprised me because the ones listed here are some of my favourites.
The dry down is better but still a disappointment to me sadly. Very incense and cedar.
I love the smell of incense (and I find Bill Blass Basic Black very incense-like) but obviously I was associating it with the sweet new age style incense (that I get from my Bill Blass) rather than the strong churchy type. It's more like a strong sage smudge stick rather than incense to me.
Either way, I do love the shape of the bottle - I'm not a fan of how it sprays (comes out in a concentrated squirt).
I would say after the dry down this could be a unisex scent.

Soutty123
Soutty123

Just bought the 40ml bottle and it is gorgeous! Really unusual. Soft and powdery on my skin rather than heavy and incensey. A very successful blind buy.

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

Can anyone tell what this smells like in comparison to Lush's Tuca Tuca fragrance?

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

Fantastically beautiful perfume. I have no idea where some people get the idea that only the 100ml bottle is the one to buy. I have just purchased the 40 ml bottle and it is wonderful, everything that I had hoped it would be. Dark and mysterious indeed. Do not be put off buying a smaller bottle it is still as fabulous as the larger bottle.

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

Ooh la la Galliano what sorcery is this? I have found a new guilty pleasure. This is not a fragrance I would wear outside of my boudoir, as a matter of fact this isn't something I'd like others to smell on me either. I don't want anyone asking me what I'm wearing nor offer opinion, this is a perfume I'd wear for ME, like a portal back into a very private world.

I received this in a sample vial with no idea what to expect, I went ahead and without even smelling the fragrance directly from the vial, I just gave my wrists a couple of good spritzes.

I really liked the complexity, extravagance, eccentricity and dark overtone of this and will share a bit of a secret. One of the real reasons why I prefer to keep it within the boudoir is (and I mean this in a role playing fun kind of way), it reminded me of a opium smoking, absinthe drinking 1920's french flapper with a penchant for poetry, séances, and debate. A sensual rebel that is in a league of her own. There, I said it.

The advertisement embodies this fragrance quite well and vice versa. This is a treat to the senses and I can feel better knowing that real talent is still out there. It spins visions of such velvety opulence and dark coloured lasciviousness I could not ignore nor keep a straight face with. And finally, patchouli done RIGHT! Oh my stars, fantastic!

It is a potion, concealed as a perfume. A liquid magic spell...the forbidden spindle that didn't put this Sleeping Beauty into a state of slumber, but instead...became an awakening of sorts. Quite bewitching.

aber19

I have tried this perfume today, when I went into a Toorak Chemist in Melbourne. It was on special for $49.00. I tried the EDP 60 mls version made in France fragrance. Unfortunately, this fragrance smelt terrible. On my skin it feels like a reformulated perfume as mentioned by other fragranticians.

On my skin it smells like a bitter and weak version of the Gautier original perfume. There is a horrible smell that makes me sick. It is not a nice floral or sweet fragrance, but has a rose, jasmine, bitter lemon and vanilla cheap fabric softer smell. YOU WILL NEED TO TRY THIS FIRST!!!!

If you are a fan of this fragrance, and it works for you, then visit the Toorak Village, to pick a good priced and discontinued perfume. There was two 60mls available for you to enjoy. However, for me it just did not work. The fragrance turned into a horrible stench. The perfume was not too strong, It lingered close to the skin making it a moderate smell.

Ciceronek
Ciceronek

I tried the 90 ml: fabulous, something of niche quality, really fantastic. Floral, rich and realistic, with a beautiful Gothic incense in the bottom amber.
But I found the small bottles, and I noticed that they were much less beautiful and different.
Both were EDP.

Pay attention to the bottle and examined it, because the small sizes have been produced not in France but in Italy after the sale of the brand, with low quality and different than the original.

The original one is pure perfection: 10+

The reformulated one is less in all: 6

Elmyra

I dont get how some people feel that this can be a unisex scent...i tend to disagree. This scent is as womanly as it gets.

dhoakohime
dhoakohime

Very intersting little jewel! Very hard to find nowadays, and definitely an oddity among non niche/indie frags!

It starts off with a very very soapy mix of aldehydes á la Chanel nº5 but paired up with a dark base of incense. The incense is not very strong, not very photorealistic (nothing like Comme des Garçons Avignon), it simply adds a tad of darkness and interest the mix. We could say it starts very oldschool but with a twist.

As it dries down the aldehydes vanish being replaced by a combo of anised violet, slightly powdery quite sweet iris and rose that borderlines something pretty conventional. However the dark bed of not very dense incense remains under the flowery combo, which adds a velvety darkness to it, giving it that dark "boudoir" feel to the mix. Definitely not as original as the opening, but very very pleasant and feminine.

Projection and longevity are quite good for a designer. Very happy with my little dark bottle!!<3

I like this powdery, creamy, spicy scent. It is very interesting and enjoyable.
I think this is the best incense scent ever!
Extremely long lasting! This could last many days/showers/handwashes.

mihaela01
mihaela01

Just looking at the picture from the box and then at the bottle I knew that this is something new for me...something I have not smelled before,I was not sure I will like it....but I love it.It is the smell of a cathedral,incense powdery woody vanilla,great lasting power,in my opinion works wonderfull in colder months.

Elmyra

One of my top 10. Ive had two bottles of this over the past two years, definitely want another. Its one of my favorites, which i try to by as soon as i run out, it remains on my want list!
Extremely sensual and feminine, very long lasting with great sillage, just perfect.
A tad similar to D&G femme, the new one, but Femme doesnt have much sillage, and staying power isnt great on it...id go for Galiano any day, and i am a D&G lover.
The composition is very complex here in this frag, and alltogether works and notes blend beautifully. The musk base note prevents it from being too sweet, and it definitely doesnt smell like insense. Its subtly there, but only hints of, mainly i sense smoky rose and musk, but not fresh and crisp musk - rather a sensual musky rose, deep purple orchid, passionate scent - reminding me of Very Irressitable Sensuel by Givenchy.
Bottomline: Galiano rocks!!

blaiseantoine
blaiseantoine

beautiful creation the original and precious juice is only into 90 ml bottles all the others are reformulated versions

miss mills
miss mills

Bought a sample of this based on reviews of its similarity to POAL by Malle. This is nothing like it to me. This is a floral concoction with a saccharine dry down, a jumble of violets and weakly strewn flowers. Not the complex patchouli sex beast number I was craving at all! (Apologies to the lovers here, no offence, just not my cuppa tea). Sexy bottle though.

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

The combination of bergamot and incense blends on me to form a somewhat strange, sweetly sourish blackberry vibe. Galliano is powdery, deep, somewhat floral, and just a tiny bit green. Someone had mentioned this was somber juice, and I agree. This is not a joyous scent, nor is it light. That said, I don't particularly go for light fragrances, so Galliano's depth and seriousness are no obstacles for me. I find that in character, Galliano is very similar to Alien (on a whim, I tried them both, one on each hand, for comparison). The two are, in my opinion, like two sides of a coin; Alien is the warmer of the two, and Galliano is cooler, more powdery. Both have a slightly "strange" quality. I like it.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

hansito:

This fragrance is about as unisex as that bottle.

patxaran
patxaran

I am wondering if my smoke-o-metre or incense-o-metre is broken. This was a blind buy based on the raving reviews and I like this scent very much, just that I don't perceive it as smokey at all. Incense aside, I was hoping for an intense violet and even that didn't manifest quite as expected. So, for me this scent is essentially a mysterious aldehyde, with a sparkle that reminds me of "brausepulver" sweets I ate as a kid in Germany - think of love hearts and similar sweets and you have the idea. It's like sleeping with the lights on... longevity is very good, and what would be topnotes long gone in many fragrances, seems to last forever. Where o where is that dark gothic chapel people are talking about?? John Galliano EDP suddenly made more sense to me when it mixed with the Insolence EDP that was left on my jumper - tadaa, radioactive violet basenote downloaded and installed. Aaah this is how it rocks for me!! I

AgataScheffers
AgataScheffers

I bought it blind, because of the reviews here and I am certainly not disappointed! It is mysterious, sweet, has a lot of incense - just what I was looking for.

KATERINA LABROPOULOU
KATERINA LABROPOULOU

This is indeed a gothic perfume well blended and very long lasting. It is very unusual yet dark and sweet all together. I like the bottle even if some mention that is kind of grotesque. For me along with VW Boudoir are the most gothic perfumes and all collectors must buy one soon. Thanks a lot Mr J Galliano for your master piece.

Orsyna
Orsyna

I have just a sample.This is very intensive fragrance I recognise incense and violet on it and some other smokey.Maybe it good for just evenings and winter time.
Very strong but I like this fragrance.

hansito
hansito

this frag can be unisex, what do you think?

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Sultry, smoky and dark are three words I will use to describe this amazing fragrance by John Galliano.
Now I was never a fan of JG's other frags as they bore me to tears with their predictability. John Galliano EDT is such a meh frag that I really didn't want to try the EDP version at all, however I asked a few fellow Fragranticans on a post and the general consensus of opinion was EDP is definitely one to try.
Wow!! I'm glad I tried this one as I am now hooked and it has taken a well deserved place in my perfume collection.
This frag is dark and sensual, it's vampish and almost gothic, how I love it!!
I usual detest aldehydes, but I can't really detect them in this composition. I get amber, patch, florals, peony and some violet.
The bottle is pretty lame, cheap plastic and I keep wanting to take the lid off to spray this but there isn't a lid!!
The frag gets full marks from me!!
I wore it last night and I was surrounded by a gorgeous aroma all night, I kept looking around to see what it was, until I realised it was me!!
Fabulous creation 10/10!!

dormir6
dormir6

Beautiful bottle, i wanted to like it.I couldn't.It's headache inducing. Unique and I appreciate it, but brought back an awful olfactory memory. My sister got a gypsy friend's leather jacket and it had the similar stomach-turning aroma. This perfume is nice, but the link between this and the awful memory makes it ismpossible to wear.

Nikkiteus
Nikkiteus

I bought this perfume just reading the reviews. I have done the best buy ever! I have to admit that it was the combination of incense and angelica that intrigued me and caught up my attention. I love incense! This perfume is.... magical,sophisticated,high class and so Goth. On my skin the incense last from the begining until the end blended with flowers. This is something magical for me.It last about 6-7 hours. Pitty there is no body lotion to combine them.

MsPriestess
MsPriestess

My absolute signature fragrance! Sweet powdery floral which deepens into a balmy sweet incense smell. Very beautiful, very complex, smells like Paris 100 years ago. A masterpiece. Does anyone know if this fragrance is being discontinued?? The EDT smells nothing like the more mature and avant garde original. LOVE.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

Sample review, thanks dear A!
I can be short on this one.... in a good way though!
Dark, sweet, smoky & powdery scent with violet, iris and amber in the lead! Wonderful for somewhat colder weather!!

girasolina
girasolina

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!
Overall very interesting but definitely not my thing.
Not even with the shower I was able to send away this deep and intense purple and now I have an attack of headache and nausea.
But I know exactly who give.
I have a friend passionate about these scents that colonize the streets, because they leave a trail of endless and shameless.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

I am coming to an undeniable realization that I have an affinity for the combination of violets, iris, and angelica. Something about this combination to me is so magical, nostalgic and melancolic. Pure enchantment. And that's exactly what John Galliano is. Incense joins in on this beautiful medley and pretty much stays dominant throughout. This is the stuff of fairies and poetry, the ultimate romance. I think of William Shakespeare and Edgar Allen Poe with this scent...dark, gothic, and hauntingly beautiful.

I think of A Midsummer Night Dream, and Edgar Allen Poe's Annabel Lee. Simply beautiful, powdery, unique, special.
I can just imagine the fairies dancing among the wild angelica, irises, wearing violets in their hair on a Midsummer Night's Dream...magic....
This is the scent the beautiful Annabel Lee would be wearing coming out of the mist and fog in her kingdom by the sea, under the light of the moon, waiting for him...

irishenka
irishenka

Ohh my beloved John Galliano EDP... Deep, rich and so special.. magical, mystic and somehow tragical. Very beautiful fragrance

bananas

I have reviewed this fragrance once before.
Now I'm just reviewing it again, wearing it on a cold rainy Autumn day in Australia.

It has lasted an entire day & some....got wafts of it's scent intermittently throughout the day...so STRONG, so floral & smokey & 'cool' in it's composition.

I hold this fragrance with high reverence.
It is unique & utterly exquisite.

id
id

Nice violet, iris plus rose and aldehydes scent. I don't feel incense as a heavy or a prominent note in this fragrance at all. It is very well blended or at least it sounds very beautiful on my skin. Elegant, interesting and long lasting scent. As it was mentioned in the comments it smells like mint tea with a twist. Fresh and not boring the same time.

cherry_lips
cherry_lips

"This is very original one, among all notes there is no place for weak, delicate ones: all are intensive or even extremely intensive. Wearing this scent is extravagant, its power fills the interior, and ones can say that silage is even tiring, though lasting power is not inferior, not in the least."
I totally agree with this quote of Hagakure!
I fell for this scent first smelling it on blotter. On my skin the first 1 hour smells like mild soap and mostly incense, but then comes the drydown which is amazing - violet-learthery-incense blend!
I'm thinking that perfume would be just perfect during winter time. Oh, I find the sprayer very tricky to work with, which is a let down.

Hagakure
Hagakure

This is very original one, among all notes there is no place for weak, delicate ones: all are intensive or even extremely intensive. Wearing this scent is extravagant, its power fills the interior, and ones can say that silage is even tiring, though lasting power is not inferior, not in the least. I am from Poland, hence I perfectly know how ecclesiastical incense in church that remembers middle ages smells. I can agree with such comparisons, however I would precise that in Galliano's scent this note is ragged with smoked wood, what doesn't mean anything negative, but then from the ascetic it rather becomes a smell of stale boudoirs upholstered in velvet and soaked with the smells of heavy alcohols, warmed essential oils and leather. It was a birthday gift from boyfriend, very useful as it perfectly suits old-fashioned evening events such as classical music concert or premiere at the theater. I must also admit, that despite it's pomp and intrusion it is intoxicating and addicting.

nilizio
nilizio

Strange smell. I do not belong to the Christian religion. I visit churches in Europe only during my trips. I love to visit churches. Space of many churches smells like the smell of the perfume of John Galliano: the smell of something old, mysterious smell, the smell of old wood, layers of incense.
I love the smell of old churches but ... But it's weird carry the smell of the church on my skin during the day ..
Not for me ...

joliecat
joliecat

John Galliano is certainly unusual ! On me, it opens with lightly powdered sweet fruits and violets. A bit fruity, like cherry, and currant jam. After about an hour, this fragrance changes into deep, lasting sweet amber powder and sweet incense. Powdery florals are still present, with the sweet fruity "jam" underneath playing a supporting role.

Longevity : It lasts forever on cloth and in my hair. Fades a little on skin, becomes a lot lighter, but it's still there untl I wash it off.

Silage: Strong projection for the first hour, then softens to delicious powdery incense skin scent.

I really like this perfume ! It's very different from my other incense perfumes.

I have the original John Galliano EDP in a glass bottle. The bottle is unusual, too. No cap to remove ! Just press gently on top of the "G" on the bottle to spray.

If you like powdery sweet incense perfumes you can't go wrong with this one. VERY feminine sweet !

asta.ksivickaite
asta.ksivickaite

all I can say is that the parfum is magical. it;s so hard to describe. but I fell in love with it instantly.

antfarm
antfarm

I tried a sample of this today and when I first put it on, it was wonderful while wet. It resembled a less expensive version of Iris Ganache (only with purple dolls, violets, sensual vanilla, and cozy plastic). I was ready to skip around doing a happy dance thinking I had found a less costly dupe, but then it all came to a sudden halt within five minutes when I was blasted with sharp patchouli marinating in rubbing alcohol.

Now an hour later I smell something almost pretty again, kind of like the cute plastic berries that you feed to Baby Alive, but it's overpowered by something that smells like the blast of a perfume department where the SAs have been spraying every perfume into the air. Maybe the sample was old?

bushonka
bushonka

Brings nostalgic and retro mood in the best sense. Sassy, sophisticated and memorable flavor. Suitable for women who prefer to stand out.

magda14012
magda14012

It's mystic, smokey, dark. The incense softly slips through my fingers and lingers on. I love the purple notes of lavender and violet which break the sweetness. Overall there is this dusty scent of the old treasure chest and old wooden church, someone already mentioned. The scent of dark secrets and powdery bouduoir. If I was to ompare it to some other perfume I used to wear it slightl resembles Shalimar and Hypnotic Poison. Definetely worth a try.

robespierre
robespierre

This # 1 of Galliano EDP smells like jewels, rubies, emeralds and diamonds. A treasure chest enclosed in a bottle of poetic dreams and luxurious.
For me, 5/5: GREAT QUALITY.
I hope they do not interrupt the production of this beautiful work of art, is the best oriental-floral-incense that I ever heard.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

This will catch your attention if you occasionally as do I seek out a dark moody fragrance to reflect upon. I picture myself alone curled up on a moss green sofa in a cozy purple robe reading either Rebecca or the 13th Chapter. I catch what warmth I can from the fire as it slowly gives way to just glowing embers. The storm outside is raging but I'm feeling content to make my way alone to my bed chamber with just a candle to lead the way.
I love it when a perfume can speak to you for whatever reason.
This settles down to a beautiful violet incense.

mirul
mirul

smells like buddha temple~

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

Beautiful scent in a beautiful bottle . . . I believe it is discontinued so Id recommend getting your hands on it quick ! This is too good to miss out on , and very different to the majority of modern designer scents.

I was lucky to get a sample of another fragrantica member in a sample swap ( along with annik goutal , guerlain , bvlgari and serge lutens !) - a very nice little package indeed - Thank you to Moly!

I get the smoky incense and violet , wood and aldehydes ....Yes it does have a Gothic church like vibe as others have also reported.... Its almost as if this could be a scent thats laid dormant in an attic for 100years , something from another time and place ...Potent and long lasting - Thumbs Up ! ( I can no longer tolerate perfumes that are gone after 10mins unless they are cheap - very cheap at that )

I wore it the other day while visiting a family grave , the grave is in a very old churchyard with "high victorian" architecture - The scent seemed perfect for the surroundings. Not a happy/fizzy/fun scent , grown up and quite serious but not morbid or depressing at all ( despite the dark , gothic vibe) ..... It does have a sexy side too ! I will be buying a full bottle ASAP and i will wear it when im having one of my "victorian gothic" look days. . . . . This scent is for dark souls who like to wear black feather capes , purple lace and leather/pvc/latex. . . . I will be saving this for special occasions and wearing it for the next Whitby Goth Weekend. . . . Cant wait to wander round the ruins of Whitby Abbey ( of the places in which bram stokers "Dracula" is set )

10/10 - No complaints or minus points to this fume at all , it is also a reasonable price for the quality.

Addict2Perfume
Addict2Perfume

John Galliano is the perfect mix of Guerlain’s Shalimar and Vivienne Westwood’s Boudoir! John Galliano makes me think of young women in the 1920’s. A very nostalgic fragrance that is romantic, classy, and sophisticated. A vintage love affair in a gorgeous bottle! I love violet and iris, but I’m not a big fan of heavy incense and dislike strong aldehydes so I was a little nervous about blind buying this. I do not regret it! The incense is gentle with a light, smoky sweetness while the aldehydes offer a soft fresh lemon scent that blends perfectly with the powdery violet and iris. In the dry down you get a touch of rose with warm patchouli and amber. It’s beautiful!

Sissi
Sissi

50 Shades of Violet,

From pale Lavender to the darkest Aubergine, John Galliano Created a scent In homage to the
Complexities of the Color Purple in it's many forms,
I love how Mr Galliano has taken and
Layered 3 of the different shades of purple fauna, and let them Interplay with each other
Pale Lavender Caressing with Dark blue Iris Or Crushed dark Purple Violets mingles with Iris, It Conjours A dance of the Seven Veils with each veil slowly Revealing different
Shade of Purple ranging to Pale Lavender to the Darkest Aubergine The Incense adds a bit of
Exotica and Mystery A wisp of smoke slowly rises like a Serpent and dances among the Purple
Veils Adds Sex in John Galliano,

Almost all Aldehydes have this Sharp cold and Hardness in their Scent, But not in this one
It's Smooth and Devoid of the Coldness of that note It just Blends in and turns almost Elusive in a Few Minutes, Angelica adds a Bit of Herbal Freshness into J.G, As the drydown
Begins J.G Turns more Flowery due to the Presence of Airy Peony with it's sweetness,

As J.G Finishes Patchouli adds an Earthy primalistic uninhibited Touch, amber brings a bit of warmth Patches of Musk Gives An Animalistic side of J.G,
Ceder Finishes with Dry Woods.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is such a unique scent! Crushed parma violets and incense, with earthy iris supported by patchouli and blushed with a hint of feminine rose. It just smells so interesting, your nose doesn't quite know what to catch on. As it rises off your skin it is very pleasant, and it does feel gothic and mysterious, like church incense. It's a little less dry than most incense scents, surrounded as it is by other notes, and makes me think of lilac smoke. It's not quite a dark scent, it's more otherworldly I feel, too ephemeral in a way to be penned down into a 'dark' or 'light' category. I can't imagine wearing this during the daytime, but I think the right person could pull this off as a signature scent with aplomb. A modern vintage fragrance. Very very well done.

soonflower
soonflower

Iris, violet, incense, aldehydes...?
Where the hell are they?

On me this one smells like mix of everything and nothing.
Just like the aroma that comes out of a perfumery you're passing by.
The smell of many perfumes mixed together.
Cacophony.

I'll pass.
My bottle would go to someone who would appreciate it more that I do.

athenian
athenian

The last thing this scent is is dark and incensy. It reminds me of Moschino's "Couture". Nothing special, a huge disapointment.

Mackenzie
Mackenzie

I expected a dark, incensy scent but instead it smells like L'instant magique. I do like it though.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Yes, I agree it's like Habanita. Long lasting and quite unusual. I detect boozy cherries although it's not in the notes. It's a powerhouse with good silage, but I'm not in love with it.

schuindaye
schuindaye

This was a blind buy, I bought it back when it first came out only because I was excited that the great John Galliano finally made his own fragrance. (Although I hated the bottle, so tacky looking)

I sprayed it and thought it was way too overpowering and powdery.

I didn't know what to do, so I just ended up using it every day for school. Little did I know that it would end up turning heads wherever I went.

It's definitely strong and musky, a very daring smell? I'm not sure how to put the words together. But it's a fragrance to pull eyes, (or should I say noses), right to your direction.

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

Reminded me of Rubies and D. E.Talor with Nocturnes de Caron mixed together. I think Galliano was inspired by R&D Taylor prior creating this perfume. The dry down of both is similar - a prominent cherry note, but Galliano is more dark and misterious.

busik
busik

Wa-s! Witch's brew, I too once this association. In the heat of awesome sounds. There is also a cherry, and violet, and a nice laundry detergent sometimes hear a few hours. But such an enveloping, daisy. Excellent durability, hair all day. Very magical!

Zoya
Zoya

I don't know why but this perfume makes me feel really sad. It smells like a lollipop that was thrown away on the ground at the end of some festival and was lying there, under the hot sun, melting in the dirt.
It is not bad. It is just too strange for me.

AhArya
AhArya

Bought it blind, based on the reviews, and I am sorry to say that I don't like it at all. All I get is very heavy incense, and nothing else. No flowers, no powder, nothing. Oh, and it gives me an instant headache too.

Whit
Whit

First off, this was a total blind buy for me. I had posted in the forums what everyone thought about this frag and I really appreciated everybody's input, which gave me the go ahead to blindly purchase it. I really like it and upon first application, at least on my skin, it's almost pure incense which lasts for quite a while. I get some fruity nuances as it dries to a slightly powdery/woodsy finish. It's an enchanting fragrance, perhaps reminiscent of something like "Alice in Wonderland" only with a darker twist. I can see how some people say it's "Goth" and it is, to a certain extent. This scent is a little hard for me describe as I have nothing that smells like it. All I can say is that it's different, but in a good way. Special thanks to everyone who contributed their opinions about this frag in my post. I love it! :)

seagreen
seagreen

First i smell a spicy carnation ,i know it has not have that note(must be the incence and angelica)with dry rose petals. Remind me a room where is somebody smoke and cover it up with a carnation cologne. Also this room has a vase of old dry rose, Purple velvet curtains and antique furnitures and some fruites in the plate. While i drink a vanilla tea or a sweet red wine. Second image visiting an old cemetery in fall where is carnations dry roses and incences burning or somebody burns some leaves faraway. This is to me a spiritual scent. When i have a mood for it i do love it! Like feeling an good old movie and watch it time to time.

muskymoi
muskymoi

Vaguely reminds me of Dior hypnotic poison. I got such a good deal on this that the fact that it smells great only increases my pleasure in wearing it. The strongish aldehydes lead to such a lovely sweet/honey/vanillish. I'll be killing this one this winter!

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

This reminds me of Caron's Narcisse Noir and Moschino's Couture! - contrast wise, it's a little more on the fresh and spritzy side. It has all of the elements that the ladies of darkness desire. I imagine myself in a quiet, dense forest at night time. The heady woodiness of damp trees enveloping me, amber oozing from their pores, then I take flight and run into an ancient church full of smoky incense. It gets my gothic olfactory senses working overtime!

It's very unusual and I'm amazed that there isn't any citrus listed on the ingredients. The bottle is certainly gorgeous! It's a lovely little ornament in it's own right. I don't detect many flowers in the bunch listed, but then again, I don't think I've worn it enough and really analysed it. You don't see the Galliano brand much in Australia. If you do see this one around - GRAB IT as it is quite unique. I recommend this for evenings, in fact any time at all. You only live once. Don't save your best fragrances for a rainy day.

lmktacwa
lmktacwa

First off, the bottle is really pretty. :)

Okay, the scent. Not sweet. Slightly incensey/smokey.

I am getting the mentholated patchouli mostly. Not in a bad way really...it's just that the "mint" of it hit me first. I also smell the violet. This is my first "violet" centric fragrance.

overall, not bad. It's "different". Is it "DARK GOTHIC"? Meh. Maybe more sullen/sultry goth.

This is not a fruity, so I'm not sure where others smell "plum"...the angelica brings whatever peppery, rich, herbal, earthy qualities this has. And it does have them, but they don't necessarily ground this scent. They lift it. Hard to describe. Than again, perhaps that is the aldehydes doing the lifting!

Not boozy to my nose. But yes, it is unique. The "floral" aspect is lost on me. But I am new to violet, as I stated. So, yeah, not a sweet floral.

Drydown: Ahhh, yes, hear comes the smokey woody. This is lovely. The patchouli minty is leaving. Thank goodness. NOT that I don't like it, I just don't want to smell like toothpaste. And here too, the amber, slightly sweet, starts to also come through. Not VERY sweet... just a "hint" of it. I must really deeply inhale my wrist here to get the amber.

I would say to sample this first. But I would not say this is in any way "offensive". And I'm not sure how often I'll reach for this. Am I glad I have it in my collection? Yes. Would I buy another bottle? At this point, no. But I've been known to fall in love over time. This has potential to be a layering scent for me. I'd add something sweet, since I do love my sweets.

bananas

Blind bought this at a boutique pharmacy, last box left, on sale, after seeing it there & studying the reviews.
At first I just wanted it to add to my fragrance
library, thinking that I might some day wear it with gusto. It is a little on the strong overwhelming side.
Few months on & now I'm dipping my toes in with a little spray here & there from time to time....& I now keep coming back to it seeing it is the beginning of Spring here in Australia.
I feel I have died & gone to Goth Adelhydic HEAVEN!!!!!
I have never experienced a scent quite like this before.
Who cares about the politics of it's creator.....the blend is genius & gives joy to my world.
& is not that what beautiful scents should be all about?

Amal Elyahyaoui
Amal Elyahyaoui

the incredible!!! such a magic mixture of cedar, iris, amber, peony, incense... which made of it a smoky and powdery creation that will cover both your mind and body... the battle is a piece of art itself!

dbrii24
dbrii24

I swear I see a young Lauren Bacall everytime I inhale this scent. This is such a gorgeous and enchanting fragrance. Violets, iris, lavender and incense are the stars in this composition. The result is a powdery, smoky and chilling composition that will take whisk you off to a daring place. This is dynamic! Imagine Hollywood today but with old Hollywood glamour and pomp. Red carpets, dramatic eyes, coiffed hair and excessive jewels. John Galliano is all of that! It's sultriness, beauty and sophistication all wrapped up into one. This s such an intriguing fragrance...think gothic glamour. I say gothic because of the darkness and mystery that this fragrance exudes. This is for a woman and not a little girl. She is confident, sexy and a bit eccentric. Stunning!

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Violet, incense and Galliano, what more else could I ask for? I love his work and how he turned Dior around, too bad they didn't look after him. Can't wait for him to come back with guns blazing. This is goth and beautiful. I love it.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

John Galliano, is there hope that the world might love you again? I guess you could go visit Mel Gibson. To me his rant was more the sign of a deranged mind than anything else. (I don't think the true neo-Nazis and other antisemitic haters are quite so openly vocal in a public place). I hope he gets clean and sober and pulls it together.

Anyway, I wore his namesake last week for the first time. It is a beauty and unique. Personally, I adore the bottle. But I love shiny, gaudy and borderline tacky things. To me it smells of really high quality furniture wax, the creamy opaque kind with bees wax. Not Pledge. I had been puzzling over the notes and as I was driving home, I thought "Styrax!" As if in a eureka moment. Now, the really odd thing about that is that I don't have a clue how styrax smells as an individual note and I'm not very familiar with it. I know it isn't listed, but I bet it is in there. I read that it smells of smoky incense and leather. Ok enough for me. I got a little playdoh quality from the scent too, but it wasn't much and it was pleasant.

Trying to find the right amount to apply is tricky. I went lighter than I will next time, but I still got scent of it all day long. Beautiful, really.

iranperfumer
iranperfumer

طبعیت عشق را در فرای این عطر می توان جستخو کرد.اگر رایحه nuرا چگونه برای من است

Nmarissac
Nmarissac

This is definitely different than anything else in my perfume collection. Opening notes are sweet and plummy, and can smell the apple in the top notes as well. That quickly disappears and I get a lot of incense mixed with the iris and just a bit of rose. It's a very smoky/sharp floral smell. When it dries down on me, it turns very less smoky and more powdery. It's definitely a dark and seductive scent, most appropriate for wearing for a night out. Not really my cup of tea, but the bottle is really beautiful and it would work well on the right person. I might just layer it with something a little more lighter and floral, to tone down the smokiness. Very good sillage and lasts a long time too.

Lilian
Lilian

Gothic, weird and quirky. Plummy and sensual and somewhat clean and starchy at the same time. Definitely smoky. Violet, indeed. The supreme widow.

gelato
gelato

So I got this as a sample and I love it! Am I the only one who thinks this has some kind of a spicy, oud-like, woody smell to it? Or is that an incense smell? Either way, I think it has a rather invigorating smell to it...ahhhh...so refreshing! LOVE IT! The longevity is great also.

ryonen
ryonen

absolutely love this aroma,reminds me an aroma in old churches,aroma of the candes,and old wooden benches.

missmm79
missmm79

smoky, musky, powdery, dark floral scent on me. mysterious, "gothic", and carries a depth about it. i am so happy with my 5ml bottle. couldnt afford the bigger one yet. this smells like a frangrance made for evenings and colder months. Happy Hunting! I LOVE!

sillage: 9/10
longevity: 8/10
scent: 9/10

arnela
arnela

love at first smell. awsome fragrance!

lolitajade
lolitajade

Mix one part LouLou and one part Hypnotic Poison and you get John Galliano.

Lou Lou is dated. This isn't, it's really sexy and appealing.

I know, you can't imagine anything smelling like LouLou appealing these days, but it is, beleive me :)

Bandit

This is beyond sexy, really. A very distinctive smell, dark and mysterious. I struggled with it (look at my first review), but I surrendered. I LOVE IT. On my skin, this is brilliant. A hybrid of very dark, male and smokey and sweet, pretty and female.
This style is, what modern perfumery needs: guts, to do it differently to what the marketing freaks are praying. Thank you! I definitively stock up (I guess, it's dicontinued, isn't it?)

I have a deal: Instead of bashing this masterpiece for whatever, send me your bottles! Don't get mad about the smell, the bottle or the designer, send it to me, you'll feel better instantly (I do, too.).

bella90
bella90

absolutely not for everyone! it's so marginal, irritating, antipathic but still attractive, irresistable and though not truly sexy but very erotic. it reminds a fragile and domestic but curious girl's transformation into a wild witch following these: emotional, romantic (not a pinky romantism), dreamy, melancholic, mystical, magical, witchy, a bit masculine, powerful, past revealing, overwhelming, extraordinary and even out of order... weird, mesmerizing, lonely and spiritual queen. surely old fashioned(very very old, maybe gothic or baroque is suitable) with a scent of an abandoned powdery court. cold, earthy and moldy. both aristocrat and anarchist at the very same moment!

people that know about astrology will feel the scents of saturn & pluto.

mimi.smell

To my nose -'at first smell' no similarity between these two. Galliano is sharp incensy smell, outstanding and very special, rather sour fresh and dry than sweet ....while Insolence is far more deep powdery sweet ... and far more pleasing to lots of people, which is not the case for Galliano. That's what my nose tells me. Nevertheless, I would say that they have something in common ... if you ignore the sweet and sour note, you can find a common point in the base of Incense .. I think. You'll probably love Galliano!
If you're asking me ...I love them both, a lot!!

Bandit

This is superb. I'm struggeling while it's development x times, but get drawn to it heavily the next moment. Stunning drydown. Incense with big I.

Wow.

John Galliano has balls.

krmarich
krmarich

In 2008-wow! its 4 years old already-this modern classic debuted. It defies all of the new rules of modern industy trends. Galliano forges ahead creating his own standard. Dior is a relic from the 1950s. "Vive le differance!"

I bought a mini sample in 2009 and ended up with a large bottle. Its that good! The bottle is beautiful, paying tribute to those stunning dresses Mr G creates. Needelss to say, it looks great on the vanity.

The compostition is a complex "post-powerhouse" show stopper. I opens with light aldehydes and wonderful angelica that leads immediately into the violet, rose, peony, iris and lavender floral heart. Its the most "purple" composition I can think of. Its more "witchy" than gothic. The base is very unisex with more incense than I ever expected. The patcholi and cedar hold up really well for hours. I swear there is a little oakmoss in there.

I imagine it being discovered in an attic filled with Victorian treasures and being offered to the modern world. Its worth every sniff and on the right person, male or female, casts its spell...

mimi.smell

EXCELLENT,SPECIAL POWERFUL, UNIQUE GOTIC PERFUME. Very strong, specific and interesting complex fragance. I swear I can smell some ruspberries in it's sharp incense opening. Later on it becomes softer but still very loud, bit sour and mistrious at the same time. Definitelly winter-time scent.
Even if I don't wear it a lot, I really looove it soooooo much.
Different from the majority of usual perfumes , different from what most of people like.It's so special and unique, that in the end someone can find it even hard to wear.
I put it when I feel different from the masses of people.
Unbeliveble lasting power!

Jellybean
Jellybean

mysterious, magnificent and gothic. It starts of with smoky incense, burst of juicy flowers and spice. After 1 hour it becomes powdery and the scent also reminds me of the old fashioned European shaving foam. I sense slight masculine notes, softened especially at the drydown. The perfume itself has exquisite dark vintage appeal.
I most definitely agree that this is a masterpiece. Quite different and unique. About 5-6 hours longevity.
I hope there's more to come from Galiano in the perfume and fashion industry. The man is a genius.

this, for me; is a dark long-lasting fragrance. it kind of reminds me of chloe narcisse, but not cloying like narcisse. on me, its sweet and syrupy and then turns a slight bit powdery. i love the aldehydes, the bit of bergamot and especially the incense. i put this on at 8 a.m. and almost 8 hrs later i can still smell it faintly. this is a winner for me. i would definitley wear this for a night out.
while i have only a mini bottle of this ( thank you rkrchk :-), i do love the bottle design.

beatrix75

how much i yuse so much i love more and more!!!

laoonatic
laoonatic

This perfume intrigues me in every possible way! I don't have the age for wearing such a powerful perfume and even though I found the scent overwhelming, something kept me smelling my wrist again and again until realizing that I really loved it. It is definitely not what I would wear on a daily basis, but I'll be sure to buy this one day.
oh and...the bottle is divine! Galliano is truly an icon.

beatrix75

so much long lasting power upp to 8-9 hours wouw never had something like this incredible!!love love love

beatrix75

Yes a biiiiig huge yes its very very beuthiful smell not strong not sweet but everithing she has, more the plumig violet dominate on my skin ,i am enchanted by this big amazing fragrance .I was very scared by the aldehid but far its no aldehid in this just the pouder ligt pouder OMG its huge!!

Seraphic
Seraphic

Since this fragrance came out I've been waiting to try it because John Galliano (Despite his comments earlier this year) is one of my favorite designers. So naturally, I had really high expectations for this one.

The bottle is quite beautiful but partially plastic which bothers me, the G presses down so it saves from losing the cap on this beautiful piece of artwork. The outside carton is book like and time was definitely put into the creation of the whole outside packaging.

The fragrance at first like some other members have stated, smells sour and pretty much like toilet cleaner which saddened me so much! After reading reviews to wait for the dry down I did, and it's an interesting fragrance on me. I definitely notice the incense but it doesn't remind me of a church, it actually reminds me of the advert. It smells to me almost like a gothic deep dark boudoir with velvet curtains and dried flower in a vintage vase, very complex and very mysterious but not necessarily the "sexy" that usually comes with those adjectives.

I really like this one, definitely a statement fragrance and not one I'd actually wear out because I can imagine many people (Including my lover) hating it. This is probably one of those fragrances I'll wear at home by myself, for myself.

elisabethgenest
elisabethgenest

wow for the bottle, thumbs up for the designer ;)

TankGirl
TankGirl

The Bottle: Amazing.
Top Notes: Pure toilet cleaner, awfull, acid and totally yuck.
Middle Notes: Uhm this is getting somewhat better!.
Base Notes: Very very very good, the connection of the peony, rose and insence is perfect, the drydown is absolutly gorgeaus.
Resume: The wait is totally worthed!!!

SheShe
SheShe

I had a sample and I hated it. It was pure acid on me. No, thank you.

Indigomama
Indigomama

Have the EDP since it was launched. Enjoyed all the wows! described and devotedly worn it for... Quite a long time. Became bored and put it aside for.... At least a year. Never had an intention to swap or somehow dispose of it, just too beautiful to let it go. Now took it out of the drawer again and, what can I say? The best modern understanding of aldehydes (Jacques Polge does not count). Indeed, we the aldehyde lovers have longed for a modern aldehyde perfume so long. All alhdehyde perfumes by Jacques Polge are too Chaneleish (do not get me wrong, I can die for and kill for Beige or Number 5 Eau Premiere) and quite easily recognisable. This one stands quite apart, proven by 3 years on the market and still a winner. No insence, nothing gothic about it but quite office-appropriate for a mature wearer, if used sparingly. Most enjoyable from October to March. Beware of the cap, it gets broken off quite easily, so handle this beauty with utmost care.

Morrigan
Morrigan

John Galliano EDP starts off as a dangerously intense vintage scent, reminding me personally of church incense(!), grandma's stuffed up closet and sour perfume oil that has stayed in the family for tooooo long. I was afraid it would remain that way, but to my surprise, the scent evolved into something totally unexpected! Just give it 10 minutes until the incense and patchouli mellow down and you will be awarded by the unexpected beauty of creamy flowers that reveal themselves :) Despite the floweriness though, it is still oriental, spicy and musky at the same time. Everyone's happy!

Long-lasting (up to 7 hours on my skin, which is a record!), unique, transitional (can be worn every season as a night perfume), dark, mystical, avant-garde, sultry and sensuous.. If you want all that in a perfume, then J.Galliano is all you need!

Ava22
Ava22

Stunning bottle!!! But nothing special it kinda smell like something my grandmother would wear so i gave to her and she love it!!!

gigiletta
gigiletta

really unique.dusty roses,incense and iris.brulesque bottle and fume.i think dita vok teese and actresses from moulin rouge smell like this.maybe humprey bogarts movies too :)).interesting and longlasting,must buy.

parislady
parislady

I really believe this is a masterpiece perfume. Its a real sign of John Gallianos taste and reflection of his style as a designer.
Its a wonderfully heady mix of scents that do dry down to a very sensual powdery scent with a lot of kick. My husband adores the scent on me and I do too. I feel this is a scent like the woman who would wear it. Different, warm and sensual but not overpowering. It has enough class to be different and still makes you feel very much a woman. Great scent on my third bottle now. Would receommend to all.

Killercolours
Killercolours

I don't get the "dark" part of this that people are talking about, but I do absolutely get the mystery. The scent is very "big", a real loudmouth but not irritating in any way. It's soft as silk and so heavy, powdery and romantic it makes you close your eyes and pretend you're somewhere else. It feels old fashioned (makes me think of the 1920's) but not outdated at all, I'd rather say the opposite. Not for shy people in any way.

If I would work as a dancer at a smokey burlesque night club I would wear this all the time. Together with my heavy glittery make up and glamorous retro underwear of course. Aaaah, this scent messes with my mind!

And oh, to be a bit more literal.. I get lots of rose and violets, so powdered down it tickles my nose a bit. In a good way! The deep incense note stays on the skin even when all of the other notes are long gone. Lovely scent.

Norgirl
Norgirl

oh my my my , This is realy somthing starts off fresh and crisp whit the aldehyds ,angelica and Bergamot. realy nice start:) And in comes the whole coure of flowers marching in:)so very soft , gental , wakes the desire for eaven more .
This makes me feel like a desired woman , Beautiful and grown up. the rose , Peonies , violets and iris i can detect .The lavender i cant see that i find . But that doesnt matter , this is so beautifuly done . Like a boucket especialy made for me, whit all the flowers i could desire. sweet , a little spicy , and most off all , the violet and iris . mmm. i love them . makes me fell like wearing velvet , just like insolence , not in smell , but it awakes the same feeling in me :)
The drydown is soft and gental. and does not kick in befor a long time has past. a nice ending to a beautiful fairytale . this i realy like . Grown up tempres whit an attitude for shure , ME... hm well well , We all do have different sides to show . i guess i also have it in me :)

Recomend it to every Violet fanatic:)
It does reminde me alittle bit of My Queen . but just a little . this is more balanced and nicer IMO.
lasts long to

greydove
greydove

Captivating, dark, antique fragrance. I really like the way someone described this as a hermetically sealed boudoir from the 1890's. My associations were of an antique taffeta (yes, that particular fabric) dress, locked away for years, that actress Sarah Bernhardt had worn. Its very "Theatre", sort of like Galliano's designs! Musty, rosey, noirish. It would be great for a costume party, or Halloween, or a night at the theatre.

I remember when I test-sprayed it I already thought "baaaah". Then unfortunately it lasted so long on my skin that during that day I often wondered "Who is wearing this bad scent? Oh it's me :(". Sometimes you have to survive the day if you test-spray a bad scent :)

sweetlynda
sweetlynda

I like this perfume...it's interesting,feminine...it's such a french smell, like Marie-Antoanette, a regal smell...whorth all money...in my country it's about 70 euros, a 90 ml perfume. :)

Woodfaery
Woodfaery

Love...Love...Love! Worth every penny.I can't top all the other positive reviews. Very interesting and very soft... sexy.

emi_artist
emi_artist

John Galliano distinctly reminds me of the 1970s, with its dark undertones of warm patchouli and a detectable incense tone, complete with a pastiche of the classic "Pierrot" clown watercolour on the packaging, ubiquitous poster in many dreamy 70s girls' bedrooms.

Not so strange then, that instead of a gothic princess it strongly suggests to me the smell of polished church floors surrounded by the burning of sacred candles, the aroma of old fur coats being dusted and shown off at sunday Mass in a provincial town's cavernous Modernist church, the dark interiors of an aunt's sitting room where you mustn't enter without reverence and careful not to break the china.

Definitely a dark perfume that doesn't leave much space to the rounded air of aldehydes, it instead saunters like a black cat and surrounds whatever is left of the aldehydes with a barrage of dark notes. Compared with other Christine Nagel perfumes like Miss Dior Cherie, Galliano has a similar marriage of very ripe, just about edible citrus fruits and deep flowers. Lasting for many hours, Galliano doesn't falter and continues its dark church-like spell until well into the next day. A sophisticated perfume for the night, but definitely not for a romantic date, unless of course you want your date to picture you as a nun...

Inche
Inche

Unique and amazing....on my skin smell very interesting.

passionata20
passionata20

This fragrance is something very outstanding! I bought it in Switzerland when it wasn´t available in rest of Europe almost immideatly after it´s release. I simply asked a beauty consultant for something that not everyone has and not everyone will soon have. She gave me this one. I say that i feel the scent of a smoked plum or sun-dried plum and use it only during autumn period as it is a dark fragrance. Very unusual but somehow it is not so seductive as it might be or i expected. I think it works only for a daytime, not enough for a night time.
And EDT version is completly different and very common rose scent.

bombonica
bombonica

Never smelled it, but I would buy it for it's gorgeous bottle...I must find it and smell it, maybe I will like it too, not only the bottle

Aldehydes are usually associated with classic, more mature scents, but when blended in such a way like John Galliano has done, it takes on a whole new approach. These aldehydes are dark, gothic and sensual.

John Galliano loves anything couture, historical and theatrical. As he has stated, "my role is to seduce". I can see all of this reflected in his fragrance.

The scent opens strongly with a sharp burst of powdery aldehydes and something that resembles plum jam. Eventually the scent settles into a soft, warm floral with powdery rose, peony and violet taking centre stage.

The floral heart is what tends to carry this composition through to the drydown, where patchouli and incense provide a slightly darker, earthier component. Surprisingly the opening notes are the strongest, whereas the drydown is smooth and delicate.

The lasting power is beyond wonderful, I could still smell this on me and my clothes days on. It's a wonderful gothic fragrance that thankfully isn't too intimidating to the people around you. It's inviting and intriguing to say the least.

guest_vongx
guest_vongx

in the beginning the raw, bitter angelica together with the aldehydes knock you out.. it's not easy to stand. I thought, "oh my, I have to wash this stuff off from me immediately!" but in a while the fragrance opened up into a flower paradise, roses, violets and iris get into the scene,sweet, but in a sexy, smoky and opulent way. In the end, a woody ambery violet scent remains for a long time on your skin. Never thought I could love violets so much and never thought that inoffensive flowers like violets could become such intriguing. beautiful scent, something really different.

cryman41
cryman41

Just a word...particular word: Magnifi-scent

dilianavk
dilianavk

Unique! I was looking for a fragrance like this a long time!
I can feel the Angelika in the begining, then it fades and there come sweet cherries and incence, which overpowers the patchouli.
I love the mix of male and female fragrances in this perfume!

Natalie467
Natalie467

Ah, I am in love with this stuff!

Romantic, floral, juicy, feminine, it's heavenly. Somehow the scent of this makes me think of a rich full bodied wine, maybe a burgundy wine, something only for adults with an acquired taste.

John Galliano is not your run of the mill floral/fruity or pink pepper-everyday-safe-for-office concoction, this is complex and unique. I doubt you'll encounter everyone else wearing this perfume, which is good! And with it's strong sillage people will notice it on YOU. Long lasting, too.

I'm not a big fan of patchouli, but in this it doesn't smell dirty/earthy to me. I'm even less of a fan of aldehydes, but I really don't notice them and/or they're not bothering me here. (Note to self: perhaps I need to get better acquainted with aldehydes, I'm still fairly new at this....)

I love the bottle design, but embellishments on top are plastic? I haven't acquired a bottle yet, just several sample sized vials. But I'm surprised it's plastic, why not glass?

guest_Angel
guest_Angel

Barroque,exotic,sexy and unique !I loved this fragrance

elusivek
elusivek

This was pretty heady when first sprayed.

80's powder, cloying floral, and aldehydes. Then it's powder and predominantly violet which transforms into an aldehyde deep incense base.

The way they use the aldehyde is unique and an interesting concept but I don't think they quite pull it off. It seems like a red dress at a white party.

It's got that big 80's feel to it and with the flat notes, it just doesn't work for me. I usually like to try scents 3 times before forming an opinion but it put me off enough that I don't even want to try it a second time.

delphine67
delphine67

This is my new love. Just got it today.
Its a powdery floral that reminds me of the roaring twenties. A boudoir scent. On my skin it turns into a lovely woodsy violetty rose. Its strong so I advise dont use to much of this juice.

scentous
scentous

Georgeous and very special..different and unique..it is very overpowering at first giving a headache (rose, violet and patchouli are dominant), but softens in half an hour and changes into a diversely different scent, musky smokey woodsy incense..it is a bipolar scent, very loud at first then a melancholic phase follows....sooo long lasting, a very special scent for certain occasions, a mature lady perfume..bottle is an other plus I will buy this scent ASAP and it will look great on my dressing table

Fides
Fides

Soft powdery violet, just a hint of iris and the incense. It opens in that excact order, violet is detectable almost all the time, only with different notes in the background, and the incense is the most prominent non violet note, maybe a little bit too strong, if you don't like it. Average lasting power, however, little goes a long way, it's not a shy little fragrance, make no mistakes.

Compared with other new perfumes, JG is more complexed and intruiguing, and it also goes to show once again that the violet notes are quite fashionable lately, epecially powdery violets. That's nice, but give us some fresh, meadow violet, mkay?

spookyjan

reviewing this perfume again..it is a lovely smell violety an sweet.i have now worn this every day for 3 month since i bought it..no comments from anyone on how nice i smell.this perfume is extraordinary in the beginning,after 15 mins drys down to a lovely aroma,then...its gone can only smell it close to the skin,the sprayer is annoying,it goes everywhere,so no i would not buy it again now i have used it for a while

My husband didn't think it all that special, but I truly love the EDP!

jetstar
jetstar

my wife and I are in the process of testing a large batch of fragrances she received for her birthday,and last night on my arm this was experienced;
the first smell from the bottle was interesting but not really special kind of dusty when applied its first notes were sharp..big a weird concoction of citrus and i guess the angelica? anyway the opening lasts for only a few minutes on me growing better and warmer very quickly we never really smelled any flowers instead on me it went into a masculine incense complete with the smoke but still being multi-layered heavy and sweet, it draws you to it, wanting you to smell its complexity over and over trying to distinguish what it is your smelling, then a wood tone creeps in bringing with it a lush creamy chocolate... incredible, then it disappears , completely, the whole trip took almost exactly 3 hours so we did it again with the same experience but we enjoyed the beginning more the second time with the anticipation of the big change...it is definitely something i would wear! not my wife who is into florals mostly, she loved it on me also lol, cuz on me it smells guyish and different,strange and delicious now I'm not saying this is a guys frag but on my skin it is! with that said at the same time it smells like you would think the model in the ad smells or the room around her like a perfume from a Tim Burton movie or you would have found this gorgeous bottle on the beautiful Morticia Addams vanity... yea it is probably close to what she would have smelled like. overall i wish it would last longer before my skin devoured it! twice tested, thee hours like it was a cologne you would need a couple apps a day to maintain it and that's kind of pricey but that aside John Galliano as stated before will be a classic,a masterpiece for whoever wears it!

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

This perfume takes you back in time. If you close your eyes and spray this perfume, you will be drifted back into time and who knows what your mind will see. A truly beautiful perfume, that just says pure class. A MASTERPIECE.

Belil
Belil

Pure bottled pefection.
Though I hate the bottle, it was the main reason that attracted my attention to it. It is so special and well composed, no other perfumes can't stand even close. Or maybe it's just a phase for me. Inscence and patchouli blend so well with the florals and it balances perfecly being heavy yet fresh at the same time. This scent is so rich sexy and vintage, and yet others don't say you smell like someone's grandma :D

Disconouvo
Disconouvo

Arhhhh! Just bought a bottle of this almighty syrup. It is like drop of ancient splendor. The whole experience of John Galianno EDP takes me to a Parisienne parlour in the 1920's. Propriety and decorum have been abandonned giving way to opulence and indulgence. It is a sexual awakening and calls ancient forces.

High end couture taste will best suit this fragrance. JG EDP is not trying to please you- you have to please it!

Ouch!
Ouch!

Spectacualr bottle. Gorgeous! And the fact that it's purple is even better.

Haveing said that, I smelled this perfume yesterday and I'm kinda dissapointed. The opening notes smell really strange, like a cross between furniture polish and liquorice. Yuk! It's a perfumey, verging on fruity weird mess in the opening.

The dryer stage is more pleasant, smells very purple and violetty and a little bit like a candy sweet jolly rancher.

Then it dissapears while smelling vaguely sweet.

Either my chemistry is not getting this to it's full extent or this perfume is trying to be too many things at once.
Still...the bottle is beautiful. :)

guest_maria
guest_maria

I love this perfume-as i have been looking for an incense/patchouli fragrance for YEARS! The bottle though is quite tacky and cheapish looking, and the sprayer verrry aggravating. Cant have everything though. Atleast the perfume is awesome!

spookyjan

i love this perfume gentle but a lot of power.hate the bottle it nasty,so wont be diaplaying this one on my dresser.i seem to have had this smell in my head for ages since trying john paul goltier classic which i do like but after a while i just got a smell of soap powder,where as this perfume is so lovely,on me i get no smell of a church,just a velvety aroma of soft flowers an powdery undertones.i will be wearing this from now on,i have found my smell

guest_Anne.
guest_Anne.

This perfume is a masterpiece. It is so unique and blended so well. The top notes begin with a fresh citrus, then the violet, rose and lavender intermingle. The base notes are filled with the most beautiful smell of incense. When I wear this perfume, I feel unique and special. Love it, John Galliano art is so very well expressed in this perfume.

Zlatan
Zlatan

lovely bottle and wonderful fragrance. my wife knew she will love and buy one after she saw the ad:) got a 90ml and loves it.
a fragrance for artistic, misterious, free soul woman, wild like a november weather- just wonderful!

katabra
katabra

a very sophisticated and elegant sent.plus,if you're wearing it and think of the bottle you feel like a rih super top model

marinadinatata
marinadinatata

I tried today, although its on the market for ages here.The bottle is like a hollywood extravaganca-not a classy one at all though,,,maybe the Las Vegas style i would say.
Then the sharp, offencive perfume on my skin, changing on me only to get worst, leaving me with a sour-bitter smell i could not get rid of, and something like a metallic taste in the mouth,,,,not my cup of tea at allll......

mymlan
mymlan

I love this charming and bewitching fragrance, but when I first started to use it, I hade to give it several tries as it came out different on my skin different days. But that also intrigued me more and even intensified my crush. It's like this scent is double layered but unsure about which layer to reveal.

One layer is beautifully sweet and floral. The other one has some similarities with Pradas Infusion d'Iris (a former crush) with it's notes of citrus, iris, cedar and incense but Galliano is slightly darker.

As I really love the flowery spirit of this fragrance I now also have bought the lotion. I needed some kind of anchor to ensure more of that.

Strangely, what comes out first of all from my bottle is a big sweet purple violet, which disappears within some minutes. But how I enjoy that opening. After that green and citrusy notes plays around for a while.

The major bloom bursts out later, like a big bouquet of roses, violets, irises and small twigs of lavender, which gives this blend a nostalgic touch. At the same time it has a special kind of modern transparency which is why I love this fragrance so much. Slowly some basenotes are added and on my skin the incense, cedar and patchouli are the most dominant ones. I specially enjoy the odd combination of lavender and patchouli. Well, I enjoy most of this fragrance.

The commercials around this frag may suggest some kind of seducing or sexy fragrance a la boudoir style. Well, it is not. It's more like an arty and playful fragrance with an aura of integrity and self confidence. A flirt and a giggle, but nothing serious. I enjoy it a lot as it actually makes me feel playful and happy.

The box is so adorable, but I find the "gothic" bottle a bit unfitting. I would have preferred a clear glass bottle, something that reminds me of the early 1900's, yet with a modern twist.

The drydown is to die for ;)

amber_glow
amber_glow

I loved the bottle. I can't say the same for the fragnance. Actually my heart loved, my mind hated it.

At first it smelled like vodka on me. Very sharp. Then it turned into a sharp bitter scent that was exactly smelled like a spoiled perfume but had a kind of attraction that I wanted to smell my wrist once a minute although I find the smell disgusting. It seems weird when telling I know. :)

After 1-2 hours it turned into a very strong soapy smell and stayed there like two days. This fragnance is difficult to handle, not suitable for everyday wear. Not suitable for work.

Although it is very original there is a possibility of making other people run away from you.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

The opening notes were a bit sharp on me, which I did not expect, but presume was due to the angelica. Fortunately, my chemistry obliterates most top notes, so it was only a matter of minutes before the iris and lavender began to emerge, which reminded me just how much I love those two notes in combination. Eventually the rose peeked through at about the same time the incense, cedar, and patchouli did, and by then, I had fallen completely in love. This is such a soft and feminine scent! The incense is like a veil. The woody notes are like a whisper. I really expected something heavier, but it was light and earthy-sweet on me. I just loved how the rose continued to sweeten over the course of several hours, until it climaxed in a note that resembled sugar-covered rose petals.

I found myself compelled to reapply the fragrance so I could take the journey once more.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

this perfume actually reminds me of the Sunday trips to the church)) after the initial spray the frankincense is quite distinguishable; i wouldn't call it a "dark" and heavy perfume tho, it's quite sweet and not overpowering if you don't apply too much; it also lasts long! I like this one, it definitely enters my top 10 list)))

Fragaria
Fragaria

I won't ever be able to have a bottle of my own with a price tag like that! I will try it as soon as I get to a store that carries this. I sure do love reading about it though! Thankyou for all the lovely descriptions!

lucifera
lucifera

yes im glad i discovered it! it became my most favorite dark gothy smokey perfume ever ;-p perfect lasting power too, i wore it during a concert and after that i could still smell it! a real gem

sofiii
sofiii

When I first tested John Galliano, I had instantly been brought back to some old, mysterious, gothic and dim place. I can smell a lot of wood, dry wood, with some dry sweetness. It could be an unusual opening for some of us to adapt.

After several minutes, it's more powdery and nostalgic. I can smell the mixture of violet and incense, with a little bit ghostly floral hint. It is a cold fragrance to me, no matter how the powdery scent can trick me.

When I smemt it from my skin, I can detect a little bit nutty hint, which gives me some similar feelings as Dior Hypnotic Poison can offer. But of course they smell different and in a totally different way -- John Galliano speaks solitute. It is lonely but proud, it is wasted, deadly but also uttly sexy, it's close but still far-away, like a sheer, like a piece of chiffon cloth on you. It is like a Tim Burtons movie in a bottle.

It is a stunning scent which may require a lot of testing till you can really find the essence and truely be in love and appreciate every drop of it.
Also, it may be hard to wear on a regular base. It demands a certain mood and state. However, since I always discover more found memories and different sensations, I guess I can hardly ever fully unveil the beauty of it. :-) but I'm happy with that.

xen
xen

Just received my Galliano.....one word....Spectacular......... Soooooo John Galliano, what else can I say ;o)

jatzzie
jatzzie

I love this! The bottle first of all is stunning, simply beautiful and really stands out. I love the color scheme and shape, so pretty. I was so lucky to come across this perfume today. The fragrance on the other hand is a bit reminescent to Alien or Ange ou Demon which are two very special fragrances, aka I love this.Esp Alien is one of my all time favs, so naturally I had to like John Galliano too. Very strong, unique, dark, kinda gothic, sophisticated scent, has this minty thing in the beginning but then it dissapears after a while. Something you could def wear to the Opera or some fancy dinner party. A obvious evening scent. I so must have this.

Trvevil
Trvevil

So mixed reviews about this one :o
Luckily, my friend dragged meh through old part of city and I spotted very catchy campaign in store window.
'That's it', I though 'I'm soo going to test it when I go back!'

So, when I was turning back home, I sneaked from my friends and run directly into store which sells this masterpiece by a master who has really distinctive and unique style.
What did I expect? Well.. If it IS churchy enough it will be bought in soon future, if not, then it'll stay in store, he he

I went in, grabbed the bottle and sprayed...
What was first? Oh, that was soft creamy luxurious soap smell with dry florals. You know, like Chanel N5. I love the luxurious soapy Chanel N5 and plan to own a bottle of this wonderful classic perfume and that means that I enjoyed aldehydes in John Galliano. ^^

Even though dark incense notes with 'old wood' weren't detectable, this is very melancholic and kinda 'that tells a story' perfume.

Later when I already thought 'c'mon, where is incense?' I smelled my wrist and there it was- dark, pure incense. It comes out of shadow and performs dark ballad about eternal romance and it's melancholic, deep voice enchants, it's like pulled outta fairy tale.
I enjoyed this incense middle notes very much and fell in love with this perfume.

Morelater tender top and warm middle entangles and sing in a duet. It's nostalgic, powdery and has character. Dry-down, by the way, is kinda like JPG Classique, but less intense and has dusty powdery quality.

So, this is very kinda old fashioned scent, a find for this kind of perfume. I don't think it would appeal young girls, but it truly deserves the gothic G on the very top. Everything about it reflects and suits Galliano's spring/summer collection.

I was so very impressed by perfume even knowing of what Galliano is capable of, I highly recommend this one if you like aldehydes or are in desperate search for incense perfume you could buy in your local place.

Amarilia
Amarilia

The bottle and packaging catched my eye in a store,and instantly wanted to give it a try. all I can say it is very much identical to D&G Dolce Gabbana edp (with red cap), but a bit softer and airy, at least on my skin. I used to wear DG years ago, but I found it too heavy and cloying for my taste. John Galliano is just right, very feminine, clean and lovely long lasting dry down. I can imagine to wear it throuhout the year. Definitely a keeper for me!

Fragrance
Fragrance

MMM.... Quite strange..
At the first I could really smell Plum..
when it dries down, it turns to a nice Powdery scent which is bit masculine..
There's something which attracts me to sniff it always... But Im not in love with that....
Very Very mysterious perfume..
Can be used as a cold night wear...

guest_Lady Stardust
guest_Lady Stardust

I love only two perfumes and this is one of them...smelled it for the first time a couple a days ago. it lasts really long, I could smell it on my wrists(that's where I test perfumes in shops) even after bath!
Another superb perfume is flora by gucci.
It smells like flowers, old powder, old wood and maybe somewhat like musk. Very dreamlike, romantic and somehow at the same time seductive. Beautiful. Full of nostalgia and very femenin.

crimsonbutterflies
crimsonbutterflies

I tried this on an hour ago and I must say that I am disappointed. I am a fan of intriguing bottles and of oriental perfumes, so it is not that the perfume was heavy that put me off. The top notes smell like pure incence. You cannot discern a particular note other than realising from the very first seconds that this is an "older ladies" perfume. Even an hour or more into the perfume, I can smell nothing different; only the cloyingness has disappeared somewhat and makes this less offensive to my nose. The perfume smells like you are in the church indeed, with all the incence I can make out of it. And I do not think there is anything sexy, animalistic, even remotely flowery about church. Even if it dries down to loveable notes, I would not purchase it just for the dry down. Because it would be like having a trip and sleeping all the way through it. And I could not possibly put up with all this cloying incence for the sake of even a beautiful dry down.

Migotka

My last review was done after a single test. True, JG did not manage to seduce me back then.

My attitude changed now, but still this fragrance shows how body chemistry can influence a fragrance, so that it smells completely differet on different people.

My friend got on her a fresh bouquet of beautiful flowers. On my skin John Galliano still turns out like a mass in an old, wooden church. My friends who have never been to a Catholic church during the mass (still, not all churches smell like this, I mean mostly the old ones) could not identify it as well though. While my perception of the fragrance has not changed, I really got to like this woody incence with a touch of aldehydes.

And the bottle is simple gorgeous! I think it is a little masterpiece.

alianeblue
alianeblue

Does anyone know when this scent is going to be available at US big retailers? I can't believe that Neiman Marcus, Norsdtrom and Saks don't carry it.

Jinalda
Jinalda

That is rare that one may come across with a fragrance like this. It’s a very interesting blend. I spayed it on a paper for test in a shop and I really smelled aldehydes, bergamot and flowers with incense notes. And no amber, maybe only a little. Since I expected aldehydes like in the perfumes of 70s it was quite hard for me to find them in this particular perfume.

But then I sprayed it on my skin… and the magic began… A true alchemy – it changed on me with every minute getting even better, and every minute was spellbound. It started with angelica, citrus and flowers – the smell was very much the same as it showed up on the tester paper.
Being fascinated by the top notes, I decided to move out of the shop – I had some business to finish and actually no plans of buying any perfume that day. But after about 20 minutes walking in the street I started to feel – strangely enough – a plum… I don’t know how it happened, there is no such a component in this fragrance, but it was definitely a plum! Such a sweet and sugary one, surrounded by powdery notes with flowers and maybe incense in there. Woodsy and amber-musky notes also started to show up slightly. But a plum prevailed above others.
Later, in an hour approximately, I came home. I asked my mother how did I smell and she answered “good… yes, really good” and smiled. I asked her what it was like, but she said it was not a perfume but me who smelled good. But after a little “interrogation” she confessed that it was some cozy, warm, sweet and even animalistic scent. By that time the “plum scent” has already settled and the gorgeous amber started to reign. Animalistic ingredients always worked good with me, so they do this time as well. It appeared to be very gourmand on me.
And now this perfume is going to be mine soon. Also the bottle – purple is my second best colour (after black).

Well, as a conclusion, I would say that John Galliano is just a magic potion that would turn your skin chemistry into a true alchemy! Do you remember what is said about Melange in “the Dune” by Frank Herbert? Its taste was different for everybody and it changed every time they tried it. So do this perfume – everybody will get completely different effect and it will change differently in time. Give it a try – If you like it, you won’t forget it.
Someone said that it’s deign and promo campaign aimed on the girls who are into gothic and emo style. I don’t think so (despite all that is said about the “gothic letter G”). It is something that has a style of 20s with a modern core. It’s not like someone wonted to create a copy of Shalimar, for instance, but something contemporary in vintage style. A true glam fragrance, bottle and promo. Not a vulgar something at all.

truffles
truffles

I've only tested this while shopping. The topnotes are out of this world - really unique and beautiful. I really have no idea how to describe them I would just say smell for yourself! Unfortunately they are gone very very quickly and what is left is a smell which to me is very one-notish and very reminiscent of Guerlain's Insolence (which people seem to describe as a violet-like scent, although for me, and I adore the smell of violets, this flower only really works on its own). This stays pretty much the same for all of the wearing.
So for me this perfume is only special to start with - if only the topnote smell could be the heart/base of the scent (I know that doesn't scientifically make sense!).
I still want this fragrance just for the bottle though! Gorgeous!

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

Finally i also got to try it and wore it today.Thx to lovely migotka that send me a decant.It is very special,i have ever smelled a scent like this.I was afraid that it is very floral smell but its ok.Its more smokey dark floral and on me i can really smell the incense.I like it more after a while because it is a bit sharp and minty at the start.But develops to a softer incense/flower smell.Very sensual too and truely on of a kind,very Galliano.But i dont know if i would buy this sometime,its still very new to me but it is surely a winner and maybe it will grow more on me with time.

jemma
jemma

Today I was fortunate to try Galliano and remained enraptured by this unique flavor! Beginning is slightly sharp, but later opens, and the flavor is mild and warm, subtle and intimate! I fell in love!

teddito
teddito

Today I've tried a sample.Really very seductive, mysterious and interesting scent.
I hope I will get a bottle soon.

sjanira
sjanira

Masterpiece indeed! that bottle! that smell! an unforgettable, dark, seductive, sexy smoky bombshell. That's what I think about when I wear this perfume. Opening notes are heavy, smoky and a bit sweet. The aldehydes are a bit strong but it quickly settles and moves on to some beautiful flower notes. The lavender tranquilizes this scent a bit. Moves it into a softer, relaxing and wearable scent. Still maintains that smoky resin note but much cozier and warmer now. The bottle is very artistic, I don't find it cheap looking whatsoever. Galliano is a great addition to any perfume collection.

Taliera
Taliera

The perfume is a masterpiece, like John Galliano himself. His bottle suits his style - the shades of purple, the twisted glass, the ribbon, the gold rose - it's really avant-garde and mysterious. Packaging and advertising are excellent too. The fragrance is dark and heavy - some might call it overpowering, but I enjoy it being so.

When sprayed on paper, I found it complex and intriguing. The colour purple is really perfect. I decided within the first 10 seconds or so that I had to have it. Mostly, it smelt like blackberry, licquerice, musk and incense, but was also quite powdery, and had a barely-there sweetness.

But when applied to my skin it was different, though not in a bad way. The lady behind the counter took a sniff of my arm, and said she liked it even better. Apparently it smelled floral on her, but on me it was very smokey and spicy. I thought that it lost sweetness and the licquerice was enhanced.

Overall, this is a wonderful, unique fragrance, and I think it's really going to become a classic. But it's obviously important to test it with your skin chemistry.

allexa27
allexa27

Sexy ,sexy,sexy!!!It drives men wild.I actually cant describe it,but i know that i love it!This is my new favourite and i am sure it will be fore ver.It is very interesting perfume.I smell lots of iris and insence and something like chocolate.Absolutely divine!
Great lasting power

arianperfume
arianperfume

First smell I felt while visiting Paris last week for the first time. I love it. Very classy I can sense roses, peony, musk and iris pretty clearly. Expensive but worth every dime. Saddly, the bottle is very cheap looking. The fragrance itself is very reccomended. Love at first sniff!!! It is a perfume that is constantly developping on skin, very clean and sensual in the same time. If you like roses you will love THIS Galliano.

guest_bny.
guest_bny.

interesting.
loved it instantly.
reminds me of the smell of a fabric warehouse and singed tulle.
gothic yet romantic,
just like the bottle.

Aalia
Aalia

This scent is intruguing, because itś unique, and the mixture of notes creates a quizzical scent, really. The aldehydes are strong, but not extreme, they do thier job..they lift the scent into the air and give a good prescence of the perfume in the room. I love the Melissa note. It lasts for quite a long time, wich gives this perfume spice and zing. The Melissa even interacts with the Incense in the base! This combo is very pleasing. The Lavender, Iris, and Violet, all balance out what could be choking Peony and Rose, thank goodness. Notice, no white flowers..unusual. After the top notes fade, the Amber is strong, and there is some mixture of notes, with the all the sweetness combined, wich makes the smell of...
a brand new plastic baby doll. Are you familiar with Stella ? Similar, but less refined, seemingly of lower quality. Are you familiar with Anna Sui Dreams ? This is similar, but better.
I do like it, however, I don't know if I can commit to a purchase...

I bought this perfume last weekend & instantly liked it, reading these reviews is somewhat disturbing, however one does have to remember this smells different on everyone due to our own chemical makeup.

Amarilla

It's a bit embarassing but I have to review myself.
It's just... I don't know... there is something offensive in it.
I got this conclusion after using it a couple of times and I was always bothered. Too sharp and cleaning product smelling. Like a strongly scented detergent. Very disturbing and vulgar.

Spring25
Spring25

I really liked the eye-catching artistry for the ad and bottle of John Galliano's first fragrance. When I viewed the notes, I suspected that I would probably like it, so I bought a sample. Well, now that I've tried the sample, I will be sure to purchase more of this wonderfully unique fragrance. From the refreshing orangey mint opening to the warm floral heart which transitions to a relaxing powdery woody incense drydown, this perfume is a pleasure. I think it would be especially nice to wear in the evening. It has medium sillage and is fairly long-lasting.

sugarbaby
sugarbaby

this is my best fragrance,so sweet,mistic,sexual,different,special......

Tarya
Tarya

I was very curious about this John Gallianos first perfume. And it did paid off to wait.
Exciting first impression, and I liked it immediately. Not for everybody, because it's so strange. Interesting, sensual, mysterious and enchanting fragrance. Smoky floral with incesce.
I felt cinnamon in the opening and it's not listed even here, I must have a vivid imagination. Wicked bottle.

Unusual beauty!

SYDNEYGIRL
SYDNEYGIRL

i saw this in a store today and loved the bottle so much that i was sure i would love it! boy, was i wrong! this had nothing feminine or lovely about it. it was powdery in all the wrong ways and had some sort of spice that smelt like it was off. top-middle and base notes did not work for me in any way. sorry mr galliano, this was definately a hit and miss for me:(

ticalica
ticalica

Love the bottle, very artistic!!
Unfortunately let down by grandma smell of dusty pillows with old synthetic flower petals

luz
luz

It is an interesting and creative perfume... personally, I don't like the presentation and I find the fragrance a bit confusing. Open notes are very soapy and heady, and the evolution is dark though transparent... the dry down is powdery and smooth.
It was not love at the 1st sight, but I am falling in love with it !
I love having it, it is unique !

guest_perfume connection
guest_perfume connection

Two words 'Doctor Pepper'...

guest_penny
guest_penny

I stumbled across this perfume walking through a department store and fell in love instantly. the bottle is slightly OTT and the nozzle/ spritzer is a bit inconvenient for spraying the perfume but the smell is worth it in the end i think.

Amarilla

As Galliano himself for me is being an annoying and provocative fellow, I rightfully thought that his fragrance would be the same. Well, I miscalculated.
Even though I find the bottle displeasing, the content is a very nice surprise. At first sniff the aldehydes nearly made me sneez but that's ok. A few minutes later it settled down to an incomperable and complex bunch of velvet and powdery flowers.
Absolutely feminine and not overpowering at all. I can squarely detect all the middle notes which is really cool.
The drydown is elegant and longlasting, but unfortunately a slightly masculine on my skin through the patchouli.

lilith
lilith

John Galliano's 1st perfume is as complex,creative and genius as the man himself.Like his astonishing gowns, this scent has many facets,It's classed as a 'floral aldehyde'but like a prism it changes with every twist and turn. Yes, first impression is definitely an aldehyde, a faint scent of Channel 5 with its iris and bergamot, then comes violet, rose and the scent of powder puff;as if you have just stepped into a showgirl's powderroom. Wait...now there's the intoxicating smell of musk, amber and the sensual woody undertone of an 18th century boudoir.
The bottle reminds me of one of his haute couture gowns, with the glass molded and twisted to look like a cinched gothic ballgown in fushia and back,delicateley adorned with a gold rose.
In 1992 Theirry Mugler amazed the perfume world with the launch of 'Angel', a blend of fruits,coconut,candy,honey,amber,vanilla and chocolate that no other perfumer had ever blended.This clear blue icy liquid reflects through a star shaped bottle.John Paul Gaultier created the same fever in perfume with his now renamed 'Classique' in 1993, integrating fruits,anise,rose,orchid,vanilla and amber in his own unique way.And in his own unique way,bottled it into a ladies corset.
These designer scents are now, and will always be new world classics. I believe John Galliano has just been inducted into this privileged world of fragrance. Like his predecessors his 1st perfume has taken his imagination and creativity from the catwalk to your dresser.
You may not be able to afford a Galliano design but at least you can drown and loose yourself in the aroma of one.

I didn't expect to like this at all but I think it's in fact brilliant and very original. It's full of contradictions, but somehow it works. It's smokey, citrusy and powdery at the same time. It's also fresh, it has punch and is seductively budoir-like at the same time. A bit weird maybe. Weird and wonderful!
(Hate the cheap bottle, though.)

guest_MIKA
guest_MIKA

HEY! I`M FROM ARGENTINA, AND I TRY THIS PERFUM AND MIDNINIGTH POSSION, AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT JOHN GALLIANO IT`S THE BEST PERFUME MARKER OF ALL THE TIMES, THIS NEW FRANGANCE IS THE BEST I TRY IN MY ALL LIFE.. I CANT WAITH FOR COME TO MY CONTRY SO I CAN BUY IT!!! CAN SOMBODY SAY TO ME HOW TO GET IT FASTER?? I LOVE IT!!
KISSIS

ca.comMiss_Binky
ca.comMiss_Binky

this is just what I would expect Himself to smell like!
minty clean yet fruity, maybe a little boozy w/ a med depth incenscey smell. Sort of reminded me of a cross between JPG leMale and 2-soem astringency which I LOVE, and a drydown w/ a strong floral that I thought resembled orange blossom

crystal lady
crystal lady

John Galliano is a fav designer of mine but that would not have made me buy the scent but it did interest me, as did the wonderful add campaign. Having said that I was curious about the scent as it is getting quite mixed reviews. My instincts told me it would be for me and they were correct.
It is a lovely scent, one which I feel I will wear for years to come. I liked it immediately and still do. Its everything I like in a perfume. Its slightly floral and a gently heady with wonderful warm velvety undertones. It reminds of Lolita Lempika L, its a fav of mine. Having said that this is a unique scent with that little bit extra. Its an instant favorite and there are not that many scents I can say that about. I still adore Angel and love Bond no 9 Chinatown and love Tom Ford and Flowerbomb. The thing is This eclipses them all. Do yourself a favour, go buy it its quite lovely and so soft. The scent of a women who is her own person and very sensuas.

Ayse
Ayse

this is a very strong perfume...the dry down smells a tiny bit like hypnotic poison and kenzo amour.If i had to pick one out of the three it would be kenzo amour. until the dry down its just sooo strong it gives you a headache...i wouldnt buy it

Σελήνη
Σελήνη

John Galliano so incomparable and distinct.
Gothic, melancholic but also romantic thats the right keywords for this Parfume...The Bottle is such a artwork,unusual and a eyecatcher.
The smell...the smell is not for everyone. The most people say it smells like a church ...the odors are related.John Galliano first sniff smoky and rosy the top notes are very strong maybe thats for the most of the people daunting. But after 10 min it's sweet and woody you smell the inscense and the peony,for me it smells also a bit like cherry.I get a sample and the packet and the sample is very great "love for detail".
This parfume is great but on the right person.It's very long lasting,better for the colder days.

Migotka

Now Im wondering if I got a sample of the same fragrance as everyone else.

I absolutely loved the bottle- I think it is a little piece of art and my expectations were high. I have been looking for this fragrance for ages and just found it today. I was so very excited about it!

I dont know how many of you have ever gone to a very old, wooden church to attend a mass during which the priest had overused the incense. If you havent- this is exactly how this perfume smells like. Lots of incense and old wood. For me it smells of church and I cant detect any other notes in it unfortunately:(

solocha
solocha

For me it was sweet from the top till the bottom layers, it's chocolatey - in fact white chocolate and vanilla. Reminds me strongly Femme by Rochas or something of that ilk. I like the outer packaging - the paper box design is impressive, the bottle a bit weird but in concord with slightly quaint Galliano style.

F_A
F_A

First of all, I do not like the kitsch bottle covered with cheap looking plastic. For such a fragrance the bottle design could have been much more better. The fragrance? First of all I thought I already smelled it somewhere, then it became more interesting, more sophisticated. On my skin it had a smell of mint tea with lemon - fresh and warm at the same time, - and the most amazing thing is that it stayed on my skin so very long.

ticalau
ticalau

Very nice and interesting... lovely bottle 2! Hope will gona do some more fragrances under the galliano's brand... and something for men's 2!And I know this one it's gona b a success ;)