Designers » I-K » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Artisan John Varvatos for men
dislike

herbal
Artisan John Varvatos for men Pictures

After vintage concept of its antecedent the third masculine fragrance, Artisan, was presented on the market in March 2009. It is constructed as a citrusy-herbal fragrance which announces spring and fresh air created by John Varvatos and Rodrigo Flores-Roux of Givaudan, who worked on other Varvatos' editions.

The fragrance opens with Sicilian clementine, tangelo fruit, Mexican tangerine, aromatic thyme, Spanish marjoram and Greek lavender. A heart adds North African orange blossom, Indian plant Murraya, combination of jasmine and orange, an ingredient used in creation of the first fragrance. There are three sorts of ginger: Nigerian, Chinese and "purple ginger" developed in Givaudan laboratory. A base encompasses Kephalis wood and Geaorgewood, along with amber-like Belleambre and musky Serenolide.

Its flacon was designed by Jon Cisler Design, and it shaped it similar to its antecedents. Available as 75ml and 125ml edt.

Clementine Tangerine Thyme Marjoram

Set Sail South Seas for Men

Artisan Fragrance Reviews

SeanSavage
SeanSavage

Artisan is a refreshing, soft, warm and inviting fragrance that doesn't last long.

For me, longevity is only about 4 hours or so.

I mostly use this while I'm at the gym or in a casual type of setting.

3/5.

sidz
sidz

As I have been doing some testing of some of the more popular fragrances for men, I tried this one.

I was shocked at how horrible this smelled. Reminded me of a cleaner or something. Left me sick to my stomach for a better part of a day. I chucked the sample soon after and dread the day I have to smell it on someone who passes by. I have a strong stomach but this literally made me want to puke.

Can't see how so many like it.

ShengmingHu
ShengmingHu

Fresh but attractive scent, not very long lasting, a good choice for casual situation. 8/10

vhtnrdl
vhtnrdl

This is the best male perfume in Korea. we are friendly with mandarin instead of orange and lemon . I think That's why this perfume is so famous in my country. bad sillage and longevity but pretty good scent overall.

eliweisz
eliweisz

A lovely scent, warm and friendly - but very weak. After a tart opening it quickly settles down close to the skin - and disappears before you can enjoy its musky drydown. Probably it would be wiser to purchase a modern rendition of classic EDCs (for example, 4711 Mandarin and Cardamom) and get very much the same vibe with more projection and longevity for less money. Lovely as it is, Artisan is too soft to grab a place in my wardrobe.

kimberly.kelly.750
kimberly.kelly.750

I love this fragrance. I am female but I might get it for myself.

Yaniv84
Yaniv84

Not a standard citrus scent, reminds me of a tangerine. A very nice spring/summer cologne to wear during day time.
Now on personal note: Very disappointing!!! because of the longevity...POOR is an understatement! I sprayed it like a deodorant and still it lasts only for 15-30 minutes tops! most unfortunate.
Definitely won't buy it again.

dmirror
dmirror

Surprisingly this fragrance lasts on me I read some of the reviews on here saying that it's weak poor longevity not the case with me I've worn it a few times now and I've been getting at least 6hrs to 7hrs on it that's about average or slightly better for a summer scent meaning its actually supposed to be light and airy not to choke people out especially if your in humid hot weather and this smells nothing like cool water not even close if I would say any other fragrance it resembles I'd probably say its kind of curve-ish it has kind of got that fresh cut grass vibe with musk and citrus very clean I got a few compliments wearing this from coworkers and my girl too its funny cause she wasn't to fond of it at first I let her smell this scent a couple of times and she thought it was just OK then when I actually wore it she was amazed by it she thought it was great meaning this is a scent that you got to test out on your skin not the paper card anyhow great spring/summer scent on paper it smells plain or boring but when you wear it on sunny hot days its a great manly scent this gets 8/10 the black is good too

spirit966
spirit966

feels like a rip off Cool Water.
Very synthetic. Difference is the citrus open.
The lavender fougere, pepper, petit grain is all very close to CW.

Nick M
Nick M

The stuff smells great, I don't think anyone can argue that. It's juicy, light, fresh; nothing but pleasant. It has almost no sillage and poor longevity however, to a point where it's barely worth putting on your body. The price is fair enough though, so either load up every pulse point along with your clothes, or use it as a high-class air freshener.

hanzaw116
hanzaw116

Oh dear, as beautiful as this is, it doesn't last. How sad! I've hear it's the curse of John Varvatos fragrances. It opens with a bright burst of citrus on the skin that takes over the whole room. It's a mixture of oranges and orange blossom, which smells glorious even for somebody who doesn't like citrus. (I don't like lime and lemon in fragrances.) It then transitions into spicy woods. Sharp yet soft and comforting - it's a weird combination - perhaps because it doesn't project anymore like when it started out. 2-ish hours in and all I can smell is soft soft amber. About 3 hours and poof, gone! What smelled initially like a club/night-out scent turned into a semi-formal or date scent. And it's gone before it could serve a function. This is not a fragrance you wanna reapply coz it changes and, because it changes over a short period of time, the change is dramatic. Bottom line: it doesn't serve a purpose. Maybe if you layer it with an unscented lotion it'll stay longer, but is it worth bothering? I don't know. I'm not going to. I'm glad I only tested this out and not blind-bought it.

ednairon
ednairon

The opening ia great. After this, smells like cloth softener on my skin, unfortunatelly.

Oposai
Oposai

This smells exactly like spongebob cologne haha no kidding. I was really surprised how close they are. The scent is just ok.

gerry.madoni
gerry.madoni

You may love it or hate it, but you will not feel indifferent. This oft used statement applies perfectly to JV Artisan. I would safely say those who dislike it are just a little peeved with the oh so subtle projection and questionable longevity. If the folks at JV had gotten around these two issues, then we would have a veritable classic in our midst. So, what remains is more than mediocre , it is just a letdown.

I usually like the work Flores-Roux, but Artisan is one that was left too unfinished to safely release onto the public.

What I find interesting about this fragrance is the constant wonderment at how does this stuff last for such a short time. Never boring is Artisan. But I will pass on this one.

3/10........blind buy and then cry

happyscent
happyscent

John Varvatos Artisan - another citrus-orange fragrance, I like this since it is a good interpretation of an overdone fragrance combination, fleeting but I have no qualms on reapplication of fragrances throughout the day

kaysee
kaysee

I love it. deffo a spring/summer fragrance. Clementines and flowers. Wanted to buy it, but after testing it realised that sillage/longevity aren't that great so I'll skip that one.

P.S. for some reason reminds me of Versace Dreamer,although they're completely different. but kinda like in a softer version? maybe the drydown? anyone? no? :P

Berner
Berner

Agree with Jeff P

"Artisan projects for me about as long as it takes to put the cap back on the bottle. the smell is nice enough, but so very weak. "

bwcw81
bwcw81

Fresh and summery scent, longevity is weak, projection is subtle, stay closed to skin. If you like Azzraro Chrome, this is 90% similar. The only highlight is the woven rattan bottle design, very nice to hold and piece of art, too bad, not the juice, too simple, too plain and yet too common.

MyFairLady
MyFairLady

First I liked this one as a fresh summery fragrance for men. But after some time (less than an hour), I find orange and tangerine too dominant. Overall quite pleasant scent.

Jeff P
Jeff P

Got this as part of the "try it" set at Macy's. Artisan projects for me about as long as it takes to put the cap back on the bottle. the smell is nice enough, but so very weak. To prove a point, I asked my wife to smell my arm to see if she liked it, and she said it smelled like Chanel Bleu. I agreed. Then I told her that I had applied the Artisan on top of the Chanel I had worn from the day before and STILL the Chanel could be smelled thru the Artisan in less than 1 hour. Your milage may vary.

Liberty Freak 1776
Liberty Freak 1776

Rock - Musk is nearly always a laboratory recreation. No Bambi's are harmed.

RockFromUpt
RockFromUpt

Loved it until recently learning of musk contents(which I never prefer).Animal-Friendly for the continuity of me.

muffinman
muffinman

Worst purchase ever... Completely agree with the consensus on longevity, which is about 30min. Moreover, it smells very similar to 4711. However, 4711 lasts longer than Artisan.

Filetoui
Filetoui

The bottle is beautiful like the opening, it's fresh, crisp and orange. Sillage is 2 ft for about 1 hr. At 2 hrs it's significantly weak on my skin. Sillage and projection are short lived. This scent will work best just before getting close with someone or for a dinner party.

lgbailey86
lgbailey86

The middle notes are very appealing but short lived. The open is an obscene orange note that never goes away. In the mid there is a hint of sophistication. Beautiful bottle. Short lived and does not project.

zachparks1
zachparks1

Recently purchased this cologne and I am very dissatisfied. Like a dope, I purchased this fragrance without sampling it for the day, I only smelled it in the store. The smell is really nice and that is what made me buy it without sampling. The sillage and longevity are both TERRIBLE. I carry it with me in my bag and spray it at least 8 times a day when I wear it. I'll only wear this fragrance when I want to switch it up.

EDIT: Ultimately ended up returning this one.

SDVHC
SDVHC

Interesting fragrance... only that is too weak and too few persistent...

Mmmhhhmmhhhh....

jesignor
jesignor

One of the nicest smelling colognes I have, however, I do agree that the longevity is not great. 30 minutes at most. So, I just douse myself in it. I sometimes spray (if I am wearing a t-shirt, not dress clothes) my shirt a bit on my chest just below the collar which helps to keep some of the scent longer. Though I really like this one, I may not purchase again due to the longevity problem.

gqtechvin

is it only me or this thing smells like Angel's Breath powder?

gqtechvin

is it only me or this thing smells like Angel's Breath powder?

Oldspice
Oldspice

The first time I wore this I got no longevity, we're talking 20-30 minutes and it was totally gone. My first impression of the scent was mixed. It smells like orange-scented kitchen cleaner spray. I don't smell orange blossom or anything else in this, just synthetic orange. But that first wearing I didn't hate it, despite smelling synthetic it wasn't harsh on my skin as some citruses can be.

The second wearing I applied it more heavily and did a spray on my undershirt. I could smell it faintly all day this time but by the end of the day the scent started to bother me more and more. I really like the original JV, Artisan not so much.

SCBohemian
SCBohemian

Artisan is a crisp, clean scent that reminds me of fresh lemongrass. Highly recommended.

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

one of the greatest colognes. I used it couple of years ago. It has the potential and aroma drives in a relaxing way. But the longevity is not up to the mark. It vanishes quickly.
Scent itself is very nice.

Berschwinger
Berschwinger

Nice scent but a bit boring. Something a bit off in the texture of the orange as well.

apierce1991
apierce1991

I like the fragrance a lot, especially for summer... But I really don't think it should be priced as high as it is. It's nothing special, and it barely projects at all. I found myself spraying at least 5 times, and even then nobody could smell it. But if you're looking for a good scent to wear on the beach or something like that, this is good.

HaphazardJoy
HaphazardJoy

Excellent warm weather scent through and through. The balance is decidedly earthy sweet without artificial notes. While the top represents its citrus notes, the real balance and reason I enjoy it on my skin is the spicy-sweet wood odor that lingers afterwards. The sweetness remains fairly prominent hours later, but it mellows into a more grassy sweetness than fruit or floral, making it a scent I can easily imagine wearing in professional or leisurely settings, indoor or out. While it is a tad on the sweet side, it's not un-masculine or overtly feminine. Further, as I prefer scenting my home with nag champa and car with sandalwood, this scent fits well into similar sandalwood scent profiles nicely, woody but not soapy.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

It's simple, citrus and citrus and the drying sweet but very light, orange blossom appears timidly, not changing this aspect citrus fruit, is a very pleasant aroma and it seems quite natural.
Made for the summer, flush skin and poor longevity.

Washix
Washix

بوی خاصی داره
خنک و کمی تلخ و لیمو-پرتقالی
در کل کسایی که از بوهای خنک متداول خسته شدن و دنبال بوی کمی متفاوت اما همچنان با تمهای خنک میگردن رو ارضا میکنه
اما نکته ای که باید توجه کنید این هست که اصلا ماندگاری و پخش بو نداره
اگر باهاش دوش بگیرید حداکثر 1 ساعت بیشتر دوام نمیاره
و در مورد پخش بو هم فقط تا کمتر از نیم ساعت بعد از همون دوش گرفتن بوش در میاد
اما اما اما
یه توصیه دارم...
این ادکلن شدیدا به درد استفاده در رختخواب و قبل از شروع یک معاشقه جانانه میخوره
شک نکنید که اگر در رختخواب ازش استفاده کنید شریکتون دست از اسنیف کردن بوی تن شما نخواهد کشید
ثابت شدست بارها... شک نکنید

This is the most orangey fragrance I have ever smelled aside from Cacharel's Liberte (a female fragrance). Whereas Cacharel goes in a Marmalade + Patchouli direction, Artisan makes me think of a Creamsicle. Very creamy and sweet for a male fragrance. It mellows a bit there's some herbal/woody notes peeking through but overall.. creamy citrus. I was expecting something more earthy because of the bottle design.

sirpedrig
sirpedrig

This guy is a pleasant, safe orange with fresh spices. I'm always drawn to citrus living in Florida as I do, but I'm usually slightly disappointed with the result. Artisan is no different. There's an all too brief respite from the heat, and then it's gone.

Nonetheless, I really like the opening. The fresh-sliced citrus and thyme accord is lovely and natural for a few minutes. Then comes the orange blossom with a tweak of ginger. It dries down to a vague, creamy sweetness. I find the remaining skin scent very close to Happy for Men.

I love the bottle itself.

For better or worse, I had the pleasure of visiting a nursery right after sampling Artisan today. The satsumas and tangerines were in full flower. If someone could really put that smell into this bottle and make it last for more than a few minutes, I would gladly pay $60 for it. Until then, I'll sample Artisan a few more times and think it over.

kalbing
kalbing

Smells like either a laundry detergent or a dishwashing liquid. Now I know why it was put on sale here. Nice bottle though.

Grottola
Grottola

A very realistic-smelling, sunny citrus fragrance that smells refreshing, but unfortunately doesn't last as long as I'd prefer.

No worries - just check out Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne. It's one of the most affordable niche fragrances at $60 for 1oz and you can even get the matching soap.

hod
hod

Sparying it is like sqeezing an orange juice on your body.
the smell is great and for me it lasts LONG

don't judge by people reviews!

on every skin u get different longevity for each perfume.

i think it's original and very good smelling.

blauriche
blauriche

To me it's pretty generic. I don't even know what else I can say about it other than that it smells like any number of other fragrances I've smelled in the past twenty years.

juiceboxking
juiceboxking

this smells so good but the longevity is sooo poor. i kno hat black is supposed to have better longevity but this smells better. i just use alot of it when i use it.

Arkira M.
Arkira M.

I'm a kind of very feminine-indie. To me this fragrance is so nice & seductive men fragrance or can be even the unisex though. It smell like orange-chocolate to me even i didnt see chocolate in the note, not the warm chocolate but it like chocolate that you keep in the fridge and you can smell it over the foil wrap. Very refreshing scent many hours and then it fade to the smooth musky at the end. I think this is another clean scent without soapy smell.

IMO, if i smell it from anywhom i will think that they are some kind of good temper and has a sense of humour. Absolutely charming!!

sherwin
sherwin

I have alot of colognes and I'm extremely picky... This is one of my favorite colognes! I really love the smell... I really don't care what people say about this cologne. They can say whatever they want.

I'm very very disappointed it only lasts a few minutes.... I had to keep on spraying. My bottle is almost gone.

mse-21
mse-21

Original john varvatos was my signature scent for a while. So when I red the news about this one I was really excited! jv wanted to shift from heavy warm masculine scents (jv original and Vintage) to something fresher and more wearable and I believe he did a good job in here.

The first thing about this one is the bottle: one of the most fascinating bottles I've ever seen!

The juice inside is really nice too! its a very well crafted combination of citrus and citrus florals. It develops to a gentle, fresh, clean and pleasant scent on my skin. I really like it!

If you ask me about the originality of the idea, I should tell you that Jean Paul Gaultier was first among fashion designers who decided to make something like this in Fleur du Male. Apparently he wanted to make a masculine scent heavy on citrus-florals. While his creation is an absolute failure in my book, jv is a winner. jv succeeded in doing the idea in a way that the final product is really pleasant and wearable!

There's also 'Artisan Black'; a variation on this one. I have both of them on my hands right now and I'm making a one by one comparison here. In the black variation the citrus-floral notes are sort of tamed to give way to warmer(woody-leathery?) base which smell a little artificial to my nose. While Artisan Black is warmer and maybe more 'sensual', I'll definitely go with the original which is brighter and more pleasant.

Artisan has good longevity and projection on my skin. Overall: 7.5 out 10.

fjaguirregarza
fjaguirregarza

TIENE MUY POCO FIJADOR QUE HACE POCO DURABLE EL AROMA. EL FRASCO ENVUELTO EN FIBRAS TEJIDAS ES UNA OBRA DE ARTESANOS.

babak125
babak125

با اون شیشه خوشگلش حس وقتی رو داره که توی باغ مرکبات شمال کلی نارنگی و پرتقال خورده باشی و یه سبد حصیری رو پر از مرکبات و شکوفه هاش کردی و همینطور که داری قدم میزنی باد بوی شکوفه ها رو به صورتت بزنه و آب نارنگی ریخته شده روی صورتت رو یواش یواش خشک کنه
دست یه نگاری هم در دست داشته باشید که عیشتون کامل میشه

done with vial. been using it for 3 days. here is my conclusion:

really fresh scent for the summer. way better than those davidoff or bvlgari blue stuff. It has reaaally good smell but it's not a masterpiece. It's almost close to what I would call a "classic" but it's not. It's just a tad synthetic

bsbnsc

Smells nice but, it's not for everyone. I see some handsome portuguese man pulling this off since it has a scent of mediterranean sea

Alive
Alive

I agree with jcastano, I love this fragrance! The juice, the bottle, even the box is nice. Some people say it smells like household cleaner, I think that depends from nose to nose, because I don't think it smells like one. I really love the freshness and the "squeaky clean" smell of it. I may classify this one as "interesting clean citrus".

brettashley
brettashley

I have to confess, I love John Varvatos Artisan. I bought it for my ex when we were dating, and he almost never wore it. (So! Frustrating! It smelled amazing on him.) When I purchased it at the time, I kept all the little sample vials they threw in for myself. Sometimes, I dab some on and just sniff my wrist.

Honestly, it's a gorgeous orange blossom scent grounded by beautiful musk and amber. I don't know how to judge men's fragrances, but erm, I love it on me. It's actually quite masculine on guys without wandering into cologne-overdose territory, but I think that, with enough irreverence, girls can pull it off as well. I love orange blossom enough to give it a try, anyway - I plan on getting a bottle for myself someday.

marioslg3
marioslg3

The best in this perfume is the bottle. the scent is nice with clementine and orange but the main problem is the longevity. it is a perfume that i bought and from the first time i put it on my skin, i regret the money i paid...nothing, absolutely nothing. no longevity and the perfume are remaining too close to the skin. the clementine smell is there from the beginning up to the end together with the flowers and orange but it is a pity, no longevity and i hate perfumes with no longevity. The smell turns to be slightly creamy after some minutes but i was wondering how someone can release a perfume with such a low sillage and perfume life. The fans of orange type perfumes will be thrilled but only for a few minutes...then, all is gone! And for those that are checking also niche perfumes and their nose is used to the heavy artillery, the disappointment will be ever bigger. Guys, try JPG le fleur du male and you will get what you want....an excellent perfume with monster sillage and longevity, not a joke like this one.

misterjohn
misterjohn

While visiting the scent counter at a major department store, I was quite struck by both John Varvatos homme and Artisan. I did a skin test side by side and, as they dried down, continued on the search. Artisan is initially quite fruity but then dries down to an interesting spice concoction with a blend of fruit. I was thinking of buying it but, as I continued to compare, I noticed that Artisan was fading fast. By 45 minutes in it was a barely perceptible skin scent. Only a hint of lemon remained.

This appalling longevity doomed its chances. Interestingly, JV homme suffered much less from this problem though it faded faster than I would have liked too.

Bottom line: This is not a safe blind buy. If you can put up with terrible longevity then go for it, but if longevity is a consideration at all, I would avoid this one.

mynemossyne
mynemossyne

It may have strong longevity and strong woody and nutsy tones in base notes. when it dries it smells like a lemon cologne. ı expect diffrent and unique tone from this bottle. bottle design is perfect. but perfume notes may be strongest especially thyme, marjoram, and in middle lavender may be strongest and in base amber, musk and woodsy notes may be strong. but these notes can't understand when it dries. yes, the only one notes remain:"Mr. Clean"

Pat14
Pat14

I want to wear this fragrance to work, but my boyfriend tells me its too manly for a woman, is that true?

jcastano
jcastano

I might be the only person on the planet who actually likes this fragrance. For me, it's perfect for daily wear, is somewhat unique, and it nicely crafted (especially the bottle). There's an array of citruses (consisting of different types of clementines and mandarins), a perfect amount of ginger and florals, and it's all topped off with some very nice woods. The scent is fairly linear but still maintains a decent transition from the opening to the base. On my skin, it dries down almost immediately. It also reminds me of my grandmother's orange tree. If you've ever been around an orange tree or several orange trees, this embodies the scent of the entire tree. It sounds odd but it's actually quite nice!

It opens up with sharp, tangy citruses but a lightly sweetened ginger smooths it out. The orange blossom is noticeable and gives this fragrance somewhat of a green aspect but when the woody notes come into play, this becomes very woody. I detect sandalwood mostly but I'm sure there's some cedar somewhere. It basically becomes a woody citrus scent. To my nose this is a mature fresh scent. Possibly for a man 30+ but I've been wearing it since I was 22 and it's always worked for me. Overall I enjoy it but longevity is sometimes on and off. Some days I get 8+ hours and other days I get 4 hours. I suppose it depends on the climate. Which brings me to another point. This is great for summer/spring but also fits the bill for the colder months as well because of the heavy woodiness. This scent is great and quite affordable if you know where to look.

Belladonna_dea
Belladonna_dea

I love this smell. I cannot stop smelling it. It's light and happy. Definitely a day wear Summer into Fall.

bp
bp

One of the most beautiful perfume bottles ever.
I never had the opportunity to smell this perfume because it is not for sale in my country.
However, it seems to me to be an excellent perfume
I love it, just for the bottle, but it is impossible to have it.

evilspin
evilspin

The bottle is a beauty. Its what first got my attention. 2nd, The burst of the orange scent was very refreshing. Had to buy it. Was the cleanist scent on a man fragrance i have ever smelled. even more then lemon. possibly because lemon scents are to recognizable. i prchased the fragrance and i wore it the first night. was happy but than i didnt smell it on me. im used to constant compliments by ppl with all my fragrances. i wondered if ppl didnt care for this or if it had no longevity. second time i wore it, i was right, has absolutely no longevity :( i had to keep spraying it on me then it quickly disappears. Then i learned something in the world of fragrances. Citrus notes have no longevity and any fragrances that contain it is a possibility that it wont last either. Im still in love with it for some reason and drench myself in stores before i owned it but i NEVER choose it to wear anymore :( BUT NOW... ALAS...,They released an intense version of it. Varvatos must have heard me calling. Artisan BLACK!!! you must get it folks. forget this one. Even though this bottle is attractive, Artisan black is the same in a black rattan and the notes are the same with added woods, lavender and leather. but most importantly, it receives compliments, its stronger, and lasts all day and night! :) Im happy again.

Jordan13
Jordan13

Longevity is legitimately terrible. A shame because I do like how the citrus is done with something somewhat unique lurking in the background. I have a near full bottle I am looking to trade.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Concentrated Sprite/7-Up.

But, uh, nice bottle.

trixxiegirl
trixxiegirl

This smells exactly like "Mr. Clean" straight out of the bottle, then it pretty much disappears.

Very lemony...antiseptic...more than likely due to IFRA restrictions on ingredients.

Please just start allowing perfumers to put allergy warning labels on the product just like on food.

May contain nuts!

natefifield
natefifield

The citrus is nicely moderated by the tangerine element, but not too fruity or sweet. It softens what is usually a cloying, antiseptic quality in the citrus. It's got some refreshing tang to it.

Artisan... yes indeed. I think it would be a good scent to wear to inspire creativity and intuition. Plain old citrus is angular, steel cut clarity. But tangerine is more whimsical, playful.

What is with the bottle? This is not a dark, back woods brew! It's a puckish, orange colored aquatic. This bottle would have been much more appropriate for "Vintage."

Luforge
Luforge

Citrus top notes of tangerine and lemon make it light and very refreshing, which settles to a light citrus woody base note.. Ideal to wear, for a warm and balmy swarrae with friends overlooking the beach,..always reminds me..

Zuuus.p
Zuuus.p

the bottle is stunning!!

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

Varvatos fragrances include wonderful rare notes that infuse them with an exoticism seldom found elsewhere. Artisan is an exuberant and bright creation that smells like the original eau de colognes with brilliant ornamentation. I smell blossoming flowers surrounded by aromatic plants. This perfume is warm and refined and it has a soothing effect on the psyche. Olfactory Spiritualism!

djphaze
djphaze

This is a perfect summer fragrance for me. After i shower in the morning i spray some on and im ready to go. Smells really fresh. I spray 4 times. Lasts about 4 hours then after that it seems to die down a bit but my girlfriend says at night she can still smell the fragrance on my neck. I personally love the smell. Sometimes i have the tendency of opening the bottle cap and taking a wiff. lol.

Akahina
Akahina

The citrus starts off with a nice blast...I get lemon but it must be one of the other citrus giving this note for me. That does not last too long. Then the dry down comes in as a light woody note, really with no citrus or very little. Sort of powdery to my nose. After just a few short hours, POOF! The whole thing is gone. Not a favorite and a bit disappointing for me because of the longevity issue.

Though I try to avoid top notes, this one was in a dab vial so that wasn't much of an issue. It just smelled like what I call the "jasmine suntan lotion" accord, which I don't like much. I have Roccobarocco, which is a "women's" fragrance. It also has this kind of accord but adds a nice sandalwood note and seems more "natural," so I'll stick with that one, on the few occasions that I'm in the mood for this kind of thing.

andy
andy

a much fresher version of the original scent but i prefer the original over this

I agree. It's a good scent for men.

K1
K1

Bought it blind, only by predicting over notes listed. Miles away from my hometown, our citrus farm, and my family. Few drop of tear, damn I'm so homesick. Immediately took a ticket for the coming week, though so expensive.
Artisan is a pure and innocent blast of mandarin and orange blossom over aromatic woody throne. You have to be in love with citruses to realize its beauty. It's simple, casual, relaxing, chic, nice and tranquil.

parisienne
parisienne

A fantastic fragrance, with very pleasant finishing notes. i think it's an absolute must for men.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Opening of this fragrance is citrusy and pleasant, but the drydown is kind of powdery. Feeling of wearing this perfume is zesty, but not that unique. Anyone could like this perfume easily, and the bottle...gorgeous! Like it!

SilverFire
SilverFire

It goes on with a smell like orange rind, followed up quickly by pepper. Then, it moderates into something fresh, woodsy, and altogether addictingly delicious. It makes me feel natural, confident, and even a bit more creative. I absolutely love this scent!

Now, the letdown: it disappears in three hours. Re-applying generates a nasty artificial popsicle orange smell, and then longevity is then less than an hour. ARGH. I'm so frustrated by this. I love the scent, but it just doesn't last!

yanoe
yanoe

It's a Fresh n Light Citrus Fragrances with a Soapy "detergent like" sensation.. it's Quite subtle n Pleasant but has poor longevity.. Perfect for Summer or relaxing times n it has a unique bottle

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Arkagnel has my thumb, the sharp citrus opening was an instant turn off for me too but the sharpness was more the alcoholic syntheticity than the citrus, the citrus part of it was more fruity. The development is the real gem.
I can actually smell the ginger and fruits blending, it makes me think exactly of the lil, packaged, pickled ginger you get with sushi.
This may only be the second citrus themed fragrance I wasn't repulsed by, but I couldn't wear it.

JackOatmon
JackOatmon

I would pay $1000 for this exact smell with better staying power and silage. It’s so playful and orangey and creamy and masculine. It says, hey bite me. Taste me. It’s sexy in the “afternoon delight” sense – a naughty daytime tryst in an orchard on the Spanish coast.

mszigetihu
mszigetihu

Finally, an interesting one! The first sniff is very surprising. Personally, i hated it, i had to wash off from my wrist. Now? I love it.

The first minutes are very harsh, what you get is a high-dose citrus (dirty orange type of feel) injection. Some people have written things here like "bathroom cleaner" and "orange juice". Seriously? Nothing like that. Yes, very strong, it can be too much for some people. But you should wait and not judging by the first experience. After 10-20 minutes, the fragrance calms down very nicely, and becomes a well-balanced combination of citrus & herbals (thyme and marjoram) with a little sweetness. Then the ginger makes it a little powdery, but nothing harmful here. The end of the drydown is woodsy and musky-like, but you won't forget about the dominant (citrus and herbal) notes.

This is not your typical summer scent, too heavy. It's good for the scandinavian summer, but i don't want to wear it in 30-40°C. It's better for spring and maybe (?) for early autumn, when you still feel the summer, but the weather is cooler. No borders about the age, basically anyone can wear this one. Good for everyday use. Sadly, the longevity is extremely poor on my dry skin, maximum 2-3 hours with no projection at all, even with 5 sprays on my neck. Conversely, i read all these comments here and some people mentioned that it has great longevity, so probably it's just me, you should not worry about it.

"Each John Varvatos Artisan bottle is a hand-woven, one-of-a-kind creation.", sais the box. I can't agree more. Probably the most unique bottle in the world. A must-have for collectors, even if you don't like the actual fragrance. Also, the box itself is very nice too, such as the cap - heavy, metal (not that) stuff with an engraved "John Varvatos Artisan" sign (the sprayer has it, too). No cheap ingredients here.

John Varvatos always gives you unique and elegant fragrances for ridiculously good price. Maybe the best fragrance house on the market. If you haven't tried any of them, you should.

rickyfreaky13
rickyfreaky13

I want this by looking at the bottle, it's very unique. But i lose my interest to this, when i got the vial accidently, i buy Fantasy n Midnight Fantasy, n i got Artisan vial as a bonus. I'm so lucky i'm not buy this with a blind purchase. The smell is kinta general, not really into me. I give 5 from 10.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Stop judging fragrances by their opening and await the development. I'm sure a lot of your responses would differ. I do agree on the sharp citrus opening, but so harmless. It smooths over and is more accepting in its dry-down. I also agree that Artisan Black is more appealing, but am unaware of it's lasting power.

guest_Scoot
guest_Scoot

Not that special. I am amazed at that too because the Artisan Black smells sooo good. I wouldnt recommend it. Get the Artisan black even though it's $78

Rodrigo Flores-Roux, I love you! This "nose" creates some of the most elegant and exquisite mass market perfumes ever. Artisan is no exception, when first smelling it in GQ magazine, I was impressed. When I finally purchased it-enthralled...

Artisan rises above most citrusy scents and adds an elegance and depth not normally found in this particular olfactive family. It begins on (and consists largely of) different facets of oranges (clemintine's sweet and luscious scent, tangerine's juiciness and tangelo's smooth lightness) and combines them with wonderful herbal notes of marjoram and thyme making them much more aromatic. The lavender is light and powdery. The heart adds a massive dose of orange blossoms and something called murraya (orange jessamine: a tropical evergreen related to citrus with small white intensely scented flowers) into a citrusy floral blend combined with three very interesting types of ginger-adding a warmth that is clean and exotic all at once. The drydown is composed of synthetic, very clean musky soapy scents, and woods I've never heard of (other than georgywood being in Moon Sparkle pour homme)and could not find in the online encyclopedia. This scent is at once familiar and unique, a true stunner and well worth its medium-high price.

Sillage: impressive for a citrus
Longevity: very good
Overall: 4.5/5

This EDT is as wonderful as its hand made rattan bottle. RFR takes exotic and seldom used notes and weaves them into a wondrous artful fragrance, not unlike the simple but tightly woven reeds on the flacon...a treasure!

jakobi3000
jakobi3000

eh...top notes smell too much like sweet Crush orange soda...didnt wait for the dry down...gorgeous bottle design however!!!

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

Artisan embodies the lost art of craftmanship while
exuding a modern edge. It is an invogarating citrus
explosion woven with modern woody notes to reveal
an aunthentically crafted fragrance.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

extraordinary bottle with not so special fragrance. initial notes are quite unique with blast of citrus oranges then very quickly evolves into soapy floral fragrance that is not so fresh rather calm and gentle feminish drydown but not a bad fragrance bottle is really unique and wonderful.
I give it 7 out of 10

4xxx4
4xxx4

haha this is very weird kind of scent,,it s fresh but i wouldn t use this at summer..and it s not heavy too!! so what is wrong? it s just smells like feshly squizzed oranges,,,it smells like orange juice :Dand here is the question - would i wear an orange jucie on my skin? answer is -no, because of its sticky, sweet but not refreshnig as i would expected smell :D nice try john, but next time try please some light edt, that would be usable for summer :D

yankeeh8er847
yankeeh8er847

So nobody else thinks this smells like Mr. Clean? This smelled like a citrus-based bathroom cleaner the entire time it was on my skin. Nothing but chemicals to my nose. For those of you who hate the opening of The Dreamer, you will hate this all the way through. It has The Dreamers' toxic chemical opening but with citrus chemicals instead that last all the way through the drydown.

Malegria
Malegria

A very nice fragrance, one of the scents that remind me of churches. I feel frankincense very clearly, and though it does not play the main part here, it gives this simple and fresh perfume an unexpected dark side.Very nicely made, and the bottle is adorable.

ZeeK
ZeeK

Much much better, distinct & modern than "now-a-days" linear & plain citrus offerings.... Starts off with a very natural aroma of oranges that ends up with dry woods fragrance.

I dont think its summer specific.. it can be used at various occassions and for any season...

If i would rank JV's then...
1. Vintage
2. Artisan
3. John Varvatos

Quite subtle but noticable, lasting has no complaints 6+ even more with me!

The bottle is also a great charm for collectors!

seabear
seabear

I tried this over the weekend. Fantastic! I normally don't like overtly citrusy notes; they ultimately smell like industrial bathroom cleaners. The citrus note in Artisan is the most realistic I have ever encountered. I live in an area with many citrus groves and know the difference. I'll put this in my spring/summer wardrobe.

Mals86
Mals86

A female friend sent me a sample - she loves it on herself and thought she had finally found a masculine scent that I would find feminine enough to wear.

This is not that scent.

The juicy citrus opening is realistic, refreshing, and exhilarating. It's followed by a dry orange blossom and musk combination that my brain calls "shaving cream." I find the smell of shaving cream to be comforting and pleasant, but I don't want it on my skin. I'd just like to cuddle up next to someone wearing this lovely scent. Now... to pry my husband's fingers off his bottle of Acqua di Gio... and place them around the lovely bottle of Artisan... wish me luck.

Jave26
Jave26

This is a wonderful fragrance from the beginning till the very end. Lasted well over 6hrs on me and my lady friend is crazy about it, so another winner from JV.

EJS
EJS

I totally agree with Frank. The citrus top is very intriguing and on the whole, the scent is very pleasant. Plus, the bottle is very interesting! The John Varvatos websites states that it is made from hand-woven rattan, "enabling every bottle to have signature intricacies, making each a one-of-a kind creation." Very cool!

EDIT (7/12/09): I just received Artisan for my birthday and have finally had the chance to experience the scent thoroughly as it drifts through its notes.

Again, the citrus top is very intriguing, especially the tangerine, which pleasantly tingles your nose. The citrus elements blend nicely with the woodsy drydown. Also, on my skin, Artisan had pretty decent lasting power! This is a great masculine summer scent. I’ve got to give props again though to the rattan bottle, it’s very different. It was love at first sight and smell for me! Artisan is a wonderful, well-rounded fragrance.

Frank20190
Frank20190

Very pleasant citrus top and very good scent in the end that is pleasant and persistant. Highly recommended - will become more popular. Good for everywhere.

Artisan by John Varvatos 3.74 out of 5 based on 461 ratings and 98 user reviews

Eau De Toilette
John Varvatos Artisan Eau de Toilette Spray, 2.5 fl oz
John Varvatos Artisan Eau de Toilette Spray, 2.5 fl oz
Zappos.com
John Varvatos - John Varvatos Artisan Eau de Toilette 2.5 OZ 75ML SP N A - Beauty
BeautyBar.com
Sephora.com, Inc.
John Varvatos Artisan 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
John Varvatos Artisan 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Zappos.com
John Varvatos - John Varvatos Artisan Eau de Toilette 4.2 OZ 125ML SP N A - Beauty
Gift Set 4.2oz
John Varvatos 'Artisan' Eau de Toilette Set
John Varvatos 'Artisan' Eau de Toilette Set
John Varvatos 'Artisan' Eau de Toilette Set One Size
John Varvatos 'Artisan' Eau de Toilette Set One Size

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about John Varvatos Artisan fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about John Varvatos Artisan, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Artisan by John Varvatos. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Artisan by John Varvatos represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.