Designers » I-K » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

Artisan Acqua John Varvatos for men

Artisan Acqua John Varvatos for men Pictures Artisan Acqua John Varvatos for men Pictures

John Varvatos is launching new fragrance for men named Artisan Acqua. This is the fifth fragrance of their artisan collection, described by Varvatos as follows: "From the start, we’ve always tried to go back to making fragrances the way they used to be made — all by hand, with the best ingredients in the world, artisanal fragrances with smaller batches.”

Artisan Acqua is a lighter fragrance than its antecedent, the summer version inspired by beaches and seaside charm. Inspired by the Mediterranean, and long walks along the coast. The fragrance opens with notes of mandarin, tangelo (hybrid of tangerine and pomelo) and paradisamide molecule (leaving the impression of tropical fruit notes of guava, grapefruit, rhubarb and currant) accompanied by galbanum, lentic and angelica root. In the heart lie clary sage, lavender, coriander, toscanol, basil, geranium, palmarosa and jasmine sambac on a base of musk, patchouli and fir resin.

Perfume John Varvatos Artisan Acqua is signed by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux of Givaudan. The offer includes two versions of a flacon: 75ml EDT and 125ml EDT. Each of them is cover by hand knit rope. Varvatos points out that each flacon is somewhat different, considering they were all handmade. Artisan Acqua was launched in 2013.

Mandarin Orange Pomelo Galbanum Mastic or Lentisque Angelica

Clary Sage Lavender Coriander Toscanol Basil Geranium Palmarosa Jasmine Sambac

Patchouli Musk Fir Resin

Artisan Acqua Fragrance Reviews

Hdubais
Hdubais

In brief, soft and gentle.

sflores777
sflores777

I havent heard anyone mention this but it smell sort of like lhomme libre to my nose. Especially when it dries down

Rerik
Rerik

Varvatos Artisan Acqua isn´t as aquatic, as the name would let you think of it.
For me it´s a mix of sour fruits (citruses) with green grass.
It has an outstanding quality.
Would fit a wealthy gentleman.

2SEXY4THISTOWN
2SEXY4THISTOWN

Gorgeous and lovely! It smells similar to Artisan, which I love even more.

Murfdigidy
Murfdigidy

First off ignore the hate on this cologne, the reason people here don't like it is because they all love the Artisan and Artisan Black. Acqua is certainly different but if you're under 40 try this out. If you ask me Artisan and Artisan Black are for the 50+ crowd just not a young person smelling cologne at all. Acqua on the other hand is, definitely a nice summer wear and a definite try if youre under 40.

Snowbird109
Snowbird109

Like the original John Varvatos, I got a handful of these samples to try. Unlike the original John Varvatos, I don't like this scent.

Is it a bad fragrance? No. There's nothing that's "wrong" about it, but all I could think of when I smell it is aftershave. I try to pick out the notes and appreciate it, but it's hard for me to break that association. To echo the other reviewers, the longevity and projection aren't great. I got about 4ish hours on my skin and about 1 hour of projection. They're not the worse stats ever, but I could use a couple hours more on the longevity side.

If there is one thing about this fragrance that shines, is that you can pretty much wear it any time. It doesn't seem like the downside to wearing this cologne in the winter is as severe as wearing something like One Million during hot, humid days. While it's really a spring and summer scent, you can wear it for the colder weather if you want to. However, given the performance issues it may not be worth it.

I'll probably end up giving away my samples to friends and family. While it's not a horrible fragrance, I really can't break the association with aftershave. Artisan Acqua isn't a horrible scent, but personally I'd prefer not to smell like aftershave.

fsulka
fsulka

I got a small decant of this and was very excited to try this fragrance. I love John Varvatos Vintage and was excited to try another Varvatos fragrance. In fact, Vintage is one of my top 10 favorite scents. Artisan Acqua however is like a shooting star. Here and gone before you can blink an eye. And honestly before it goes it isn't all that special. As you can see from the ratings above, this fragrance isn't getting much love. I'd stick with Vintage. That juice is a head turner.

Supremescent
Supremescent

The initial blast of this stuff is awesome. It stops there. I wouldn't even call this a soft skin scent as it is completely gone after 5-10 minutes. On my skin anyway. I do not mind soft projection fragrances or skin scent, this just doesn't fall into that category.
Worst 80$CDN I have ever spent on cologne.

IHeartVetiver
IHeartVetiver

This is a great fragrance that really lasts on me. It reminds me of a heightened after shave. It is so fresh, but has this spicy and peppery kick that keeps it from being lost in the masses.

It is a great summer evening fragrance. I often pair it with a plain white shirt, shorts and flip flop shoes. It is manly and really gets noticed.

When I wear this, I feel clean and free.

Vas5
Vas5

Smells amazing. On me it lasts a long time. Very underrated scent as this is one of the best summer scents around.

streamer
streamer

Smells great, but it just doesn't last. I get maybe 2hrs with this one and its completely gone. I sold my full bottle.

nonsisa
nonsisa

As nicely as the Toscanol molecule looks, what you'll experience from it will be something soap like.

Artisan Acqua definately makes you smell molto pulito.

This divests the normally so boring aquatic scents and sets a new standard of what is possible within this genre.

The only downside is that it dries down with a little bit of Norlimbanol.

Its not like a mansion in Tuscany but rather a walk in its sourroundings.

Bon voyage.

Fresh, summery notes evoke white-washed Mediterranean houses by the sea. A modern aquatic/spice blend which make it classic yet contemporary. Thank you John Varvatos!

andabri
andabri

This is nice! It's a light, bright spicy aromatic citus/floral/green. It's very, very airy... sort of like a light, refreshing aftershave but with quality natural ingredients. Just gives off that "clean" feeling. Sort of classic and old-school, yet bright and fresh at the same time.

This is very much a skin scent. The type that us women will have to get verrrryyyy close to inhale and appreciate (aka intimate). The type of fragrance I'd give to my significant other, than perhaps, steal every so often for myself.

phreaspirit
phreaspirit

Edward Thatch's weapon of choice.I have found myself a bottle in a sand near the Caribbean.

Now, a little more serious: scent is absolutely fantastic, if you are looking for a safe, aquatic-green fragrance. It also smells natural, not harsh or synthetic at all. Rich scent indeed. Bottle is a master piece.

olfactorium
olfactorium

I picked up a copy of the December,1966 issue of Palm Beach Life at a junk store for $3.00. It was an anniversary edition with a retrospective containing hundreds of rare photographs of long dead American aristocrats. One particular photo showed two gentlemen dressed all in white seated in the front of a rickshaw pushed along by a black footman straight from Harriet Beecher Stowe. They wore porkpie hats, key hole glasses, pristine suit coats and vests, crisp shirts with starched collars and striped ties, knickers with stockings and what looked to be golf or saddle shoes. They were dressed in the resort wear of the Edwardian age, maybe 1916 or so, and behind them down a path lined with lazy, swaying palm trees was the wooden enormity of the Breakers Hotel. Somewhere in that hotel, in the rooms of such as these two gentlemen, on a shelf lined with bay rum, lavender water and rarified ivory implements used for personal care I could also envision a bottle of John Varvatos Artisan Acqua, if such a thing had existed then.

JVAA completely embodies the vintage look and feel of “old” Palm Beach to me from the hand-tied netting on the flask to the use of pomelo, an ancient and venerated citrus fruit. The use of olfactory notes like Toscanol and fir resin does give JVAA a substantial “aftershave” presence, but there are times when aftershave is appropriate and when supplemented with a plethora of fruit, herbs and flowers such as lavender, Sicilian orange, clary sage, patchouli and geranium this would be made complete, but JVAA elevates the concept of aftershave further with exotic accords like palmarosa (lemon grass), mastic (Arabic gum), angelica (a medicinal herb), galbanum (a resin found most notably in Must by Cartier) and jasminum sambac (originally native to the Himalayas and Bhutan). In fact, JVAA should achieve broad appeal, but at the same time its complex bouquet seems to have been designed more specifically for the aristocratic man, or at least the idea of such a man. Like those two sartorially refined gentleman in the old photo, he is extinct but for such oddities as JVAA which enters the room an instant classic.

This limited edition eau de toilette will certainly add dash, say, to a white suit or even just a pair of white shorts (navy polo and espadrilles optional). Any resort or summer wardrobe aesthetic would be properly graced by the application of JVAA with its East Coast sophisticated ease reminiscent of an epoch long past.

danakin81
danakin81

This smells identical to Brut Attitude aftershave.

kenney77
kenney77

Amazing scent I tried it yesterday at Macy's very different smell but In a good way now I want it

Jay T
Jay T

Ceci a une faible performance. Et vous pouvez obtenir le même odeur avec un $ 0,69 barre de savon. Ce ne dispose pas de mystère ou sautes d'humeur des autres parfums John Varvatos. Très décevant.

hod
hod

I love the john varvatos line - but this is probably their WORST fragrance to date.

It smells cheap (like old man deodorant), badly mixed and with VERY poor longevity and projection. after 30 minutes it becomes a barely detectable skin scent with no projection or sillage.

Really, stay away from this on.

Rodrigo Flores-Rou is an excellent nose. he has done TOM FORD NEROLI PORTOFINO and the other john varvatos fragrances which I like, but this one is BIG NO NO

[email protected]@r
C@nn@r

It's fresh with a bitter citrus and fir combination. It does in fact smell like an aftershave...but in a refreshing way. I got some samples from sephora and I use them after a shower on days when I don't leave the house. The lasting power is not that impressive but the scent while it lasts is refreshing. I would not buy a bottle.

stever882
stever882

i want to like it but I can not seem to! there is a certain smell I like about it on a hot summer day, like today. I sprayed some on and it smells good but it also reminds me of my grandfathers after shave. so it smells a little dated.

headofstate
headofstate

Very unique, the top will bring back memories of Azzaro Pour Homme from the 1970s before this evolves into a rather calming and well blended pomelo citrus meets aromatic herbs and spices. Purely for spring and summer and one that takes a few wears to really grasp, will keep testing and give a proper detailed review and report. The pyramid is a fascinating attempt at originality that should be commended and celebrated. Not as citrusy as you would think.

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Reader's,

What can I say about the Aquatic Artisan?,

I was given a generous sample of this fragrance by a loved one and I have to say about this fragrance is..

Wow..Mmmm and WoW.

Yes, this definitely a treasure from the sea ,washed offshore and came to your hands and excite your senses.

I have to say , bravo , this perfume has a very well orchestrated elemental notes of water and earth that created a very seductive aromatic male fragrance that has the aura of sea god or merman, this is definitely a must have if you want be someone's catch of the day in complements and beating heart.

Since I grow herbs and I live near the sea, this fragrance complements very well in this atmosphere and the aromatic plants used in this fragrance are very seductive and a elegant " je sais quoi" spirit .

The perfume by itself and on me, smell the same, but the drydown on my body chemistry is pure sensually aromatic and still very male, love it.

Bravo John Varvatos and his crew, keep up the fabulous work , you got a new customer !.

Isaytomato
Isaytomato

I've had farts with better projection and longevity than this. Such a shame! Absolutely beautiful bottle though

dozza14
dozza14

@rprovenz I think if a woman came up to me and said I smelled synthetic, I would have to offer her a spritz of it to cleanse her potty mouth! :)

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

I wasn't as impressed by this than I was by Platinum. The presentation itself is VERY fetching though. But, unfortunately, it isn't so fetching as to make me want to buy it.

The scent itself lacks potency. I felt as if it were aiming too much to be similar to the moist breeze one tends to experience when living seaside but there was something in it that was sorely lacking imo.

The longevity on my beloved wasn't impressive (about 1 hour tops), and the drydown left me with more fizzle than sizzle. Such a shame, the bottle is beautiful!

rprovenz
rprovenz

In what world does a woman come up to you and tell you smell synthetic...generic...boring...or safe?

bwcw81
bwcw81

This is total diluted version of the artisan wt no projection and stay closed only to your own skin. Nice bottle but it is really nothing more worth mention here. 2/10 from me.

areyouin729
areyouin729

I tried this at Macy's and was very surprised by the scent compared to the name; that is not a good thing. I expected a nice spring/summer scent but this your run of the mill generic old green type scent.

The bottle reminds me of Bo Derek's cornrows in Ten. LOVE THAT. The scent itself.. not so much.
Toscanol is a green, herbaceous liqueur-like accord. It's very present here in Artisan Acqua. Next to the pomelo I'd say it's the strongest note. The pomelo is nice as it lacks the "bite" that grapefruit can have. It's sweeter and a bit watery.
Aside from that I smell a good amount of cypress in here. Overall I'd say Artisan Acqua smells more vegetal than aquatic. It'd make a nice green for those who sometimes find greens too herbal or a nice citrus for those who often find citruses too sharp.
Artisan Acqua strikes a nice balance but in the end isn't enough of anything to really interest me.

antonpan
antonpan

Frankly speaking I'm not delighted with the new Acqua version. At first, it has no relation to the regular Artisan. At second, it smells quite dated like a typical green cologne from 80's dilluted by modern molecules. In the dry down Acqua smells soapy reminding any other shave gel or deodorant.

bjl8691
bjl8691

This is by far my favorite fragarance I bought it the day it came out im satisfied great longevity its very calming and relaxing

Nick M
Nick M

Reminiscent of the Northwest coastline here in the U.S. -- coniferous forests (green pines etc.) hugging craggy cliffs, all being coated in fresh sea spray. I'm no scent expert, but you can see the unusual notes used above and they definitely meld into something special.

Start with a solid yet gritty aquatic and add just a touch of classic green Polo, that's what this gem is about. Gotta love that bottle too!

Leave it to Rodrigo Flores-Roux to make Acqua something new and exciting!

Love the bottle and the nautical maritime feel it has before you even smell the juice.

Lentisc (mastic gum), palmarosa, angelica *sighs and swoons*, galbanum (!!!) and toscanol IN AN AQUATIC?? I may faint...be still my twitching nostrils!!

It always seems that JUST as I complete my collection from one House (I got Artisan Black and a large decant of JV Platinum a couple weeks ago) THEY come out with another one....that sounds like just what the doctor ordered-a "blue aquatic" scent with some "cojones" :)

melissa
melissa

LOVE the bottle, Hope they come out with a women's version!

John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau De Toilette for men 2.5 oz
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau De Toilette for men 2.5 oz
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos EDT Spray 2.5 oz Limited Edition for Men
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau De Toilette for men 4.2 oz
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau De Toilette for men 4.2 oz
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Cologne by John Varvatos, 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau De Toilette tester for men 4.2 oz
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau De Toilette tester for men 4.2 oz
Sephora.com, Inc.
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua 1.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua 1.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos EDT Spray 4.2 oz Limited Edition for Men
Sample 4.2oz
John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos EDT Spray 4.2 oz EDT Travel Spray .57 oz Artisan Acqua EDT Spray Vial Toiletry Bag for Men
Eau De Toilette 4oz
Eau De Toilette
Macys.com
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau de Toilette, 4.2 oz
John Varvatos Artisan Acqua Eau de Toilette, 4.2 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about John Varvatos Artisan Acqua fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about John Varvatos Artisan Acqua, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.