Designers » I-K » Chypre Floral « Groups

John Varvatos John Varvatos for women

John Varvatos John Varvatos for women
dislike

honey
John Varvatos John Varvatos for women Pictures John Varvatos John Varvatos for women Pictures

The first fragrance for women by John Varvatos has arrived in February 2008, at first to Saks 5th Avenue, and then world-wide by the end of September.

The muse for this fragrance was his wife Joyce, who has worked on creation of this fragrance and has given it an artistic touch. The fragrance was created by Rodrigo Flores-Roux of Givaudan and John Varvatos. It is composed of apricot, Damask plum and golden mandarin. The heart seduces with oriental lily, Indian mango blossom, Egyptian jasmine, and Turkish rose. The base unifies oakmoss, patchouli, Tonka beans and wild honey.

The fragrance comes as 15ml (0.5 fl.oz.) parfum extrait, and as eau de parfum, but a special one as it will contain 50% concentrated parfum.

The bottle, designed by Doug Lloyd of Pochet, comes in 50ml (1.7 fl.oz.) and 100ml (3.4 fl.oz.) sizes. Besides the fragrance the fragrant collection will include body lotion and face cleanser oil both in 200ml (6.9 fl.oz.) size.

The face of the fragrance is Louise Pederson, and the photographer – Alasdair Mclellan.

Damask Plum Georgian Apricot Mandarin Orange

Desnuda

John Varvatos Fragrance Reviews

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

I was shipped a vial of this with a bunch of frags I ordered. Smells like a delicious plum and apricot jam that has been regurgitated. What is that acrid note lurking in the distance? Carrion?

...

Love the bottle though.

hesione
hesione

this doesn't smell like coco mademoiselle AT ALL, it's is way more feminine and sweet. Too feminine for my taste. : (

mooglebuns
mooglebuns

This reminds me of Michael Kors Gold but with sticky honey over the top. I like it a lot. For the price is a good buy. Peaches and flowers coated in powder and drizzled with honey. That's what image this evokes for me. When I first met my current S.O. I was wearing rose gold and he went pretty crazy for it, so now that it's discontinued and impossible to find for me, I'm excited to wear this for him and see if it sparks any nostalgia.

peachypixie
peachypixie

composition notes:
Coriander Flower, Apricot, Narcissus, Jasmine Grandiflora, Extra Pure Patchouli, Tolu Balsam, Hibiscus Seeds, Wild Honey, Lily, Adriatic Oakmoss, Styrax, Rose Attar, Grappa Accord, Tonka Beans, Golden Mandarin, Plum

It's definitely feminine but easily unisex for guys who don't mind a touch of sweetness. I don't normally like honey in perfumes but this one has me rethinking that 'rule.'
Both my hb and I were immediately in love with this scent! My guy is the type to react with a "that smells nice/good" when I ask him to sniff, but for this one it was a "oh, wow. what is that?" And later, he wanted to wear it to sleep. Yes, it's lovely!

My sample vial was gone in 3 days and now John Varvatos is high on my wish list (◕‿-)

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I like this one. Its fruity mixed with vanilla and musk. A little too sweet but it has a sexy vibe to it. Smells a lot like Desnuda by Ungaro.
On a side note; I saw the entire line at TJ Maxx while Christmas shopping last year. The half ounce perfume was $10. I purchased one and opened it. Aside from smelling rich and beautiful (as most pure perfumes do) it came in a peach/silver flask enrobed in a dark peach velvet pouch. I researched and saw it retailed for $125 at Saks when it came out.
I also bought the lotion for $6 and that retailed for $50.
Needless to say I hit 4 TJ Maxx the next day and bought 15 bottles of the pure perfume. All my holiday shopping done in 4 hours. What a score.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

Whoa! Heavy musky tonka with a bracing edge. Grapefruit? A bit masculine on me. It conjures visions of women with tight animal print pants or shimmering shirts carrying purses with a lot of gold bling. Glamourous and striking but without nuance nor elegance.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Well, I wanted to try John Varvatos just out of curiosity; it had such high reviews, and the combination of fruit and honey with patchouli sounded interesting. The first hour is an interesting combination—sweet, nutty-green is the way I’ll describe it, with a bit of soapiness. I think the soapiness is how my nose is interpreting the jasmine. The sweetness is more fruit than flower, though, with a ripeness but not really a juiciness—it’s kind of a dry scent, almost subdued. I think I am smelling the apricot and plum, but it’s not the rather prominent plum that is in Rochas Femme nor the somewhat artificial plum from ET…it’s more subtle. Really puzzling over where the nutty-green scent is coming from…

After a few hours, this hasn’t changed much. It’s still quite mellow and pleasant; it’s not projecting much on my skin, but it seems to be consistent rather than fading. I enjoyed sampling this, and found it to be a “grown up fruity” style of fragrance, not flippant but not overly serious either.

cdimond63@gmail.com
cdimond63@gmail.com

not sure why it has a pepperyness that reminds me of jimmy choo.. but when you look at the notes listed you dont see that. Im finding that a lot.. that things smell the same with different notes listed

queenofcups
queenofcups

seriously i had never heard of this perfume if it was not for you fragrantica connoisseurs,
ok i wear coco mademoiselle since 10 years, i never thought of signature perfumes, it is just that it was the only scent i could spray on myself, up to a point where i stopped smelling it at all, while people know i passed by or was here and there only by my perfume.
ok now sniffing this, lots and lots of champagne.
15 minutes later i get reminiscence of my coco, which is not bad. it smells quite good, i can imagine myself wearing it every now and then, especially at that point where the flowers smell starts coming out.
all in all, it is a likable perfume, but my heart is not overly taken i could still get enchanted by something more appealing,
and i can't say that it can at any point replace coco mademoiselle
i am now testing around me the feedback of JV......so let's see

Spray carefully or this one will become thick and overwhelming. 1 spray makes you smell wonderful for several hours. Very nice plum/patchouli/apricot/tonka/oakmoss- mix. A bit to heavy for my taste, but its really a great scent!

spreja försiktigt annars blir denna tjock och kvalmig. 1 sprejning gör att du doftar fantastiskt i många timmar. Härlig plommon/patchouli/aprikos/tonka/ekmossa-mix. Lite för tung för min smak, men en riktigt fin doft!

mimsko
mimsko

Absolutely gorgeous, mouthwatering and feminine...I can't believe I imagined how it should smell like, and today, when I sprayed it for the first time- it smells just like that...Sweet plum and apricot dry down to a heavenly powdery bliss..Truly in love with this one! And I don't feel nothing masculine or cheap about it.

plaintain1
plaintain1

This was a gift from someone. Never heard of Varvatos but when I first used it, it smelt cheap and nasty.

KOUTSOUNA
KOUTSOUNA

On first spray it smells amazing flowery and sweet and heavy rich, then the masculine notes come around, and keep wafting in and out, then the drydown is moss like and masculine. Not something I would enjoy wearing.

frankie22
frankie22

Ode to an empty bottle of John Varvatos.We met at T.J Maxx.I had worn Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, but everyone wears Coco Mademoiselle,and you seemed the same but just different enough.We were fast friends, and before long we were together constantly.Among all of my other fragrances, I discovered that I could rely on you.Always happy,always peppy:)On a date or at work or just for a trip to the grocery store,you delivered.Through a new relationship and a devastating breakup and starting over you were reassuringly the same.Today I spritzed your very last spritz.I was surprised that it was hard to toss you in the trash.Did I ever appreciate you enough? I have decided we have a real connection, and I will not let you go.New bottle on order!

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

On me, John Varvatos is strong, fruity, boozy and very sexy. It's a stronger perfume than what I'm comfortable wearing, but I had to admit I felt an allure. It felt familiar, as if I'd smelled it before...and then after reading another member's review, it hit me...they compared it to Chanel Allure Sensuelle - that was it! That was what it reminded me of. Allure Sensuelle is in my "Want" list, but I can't afford it. I was able to try Varvatos by aquiring it in a swap. It sure is similar to Allure, to my nose, but at a fraction of the price. It is also said to a Coco Mademoiselle "smell-alike", and I can see some similarities, but it's more like Allure to me. It's definitely a nighttime, sexy fragrance, IMO. I'm the timid sort...maybe a bolder extrovert could pull this off in the daytime, but personally, I wouldn't wear it in an office setting. You could get intoxicated from this "fume". Seriously....go easy, on this one - two sprays max, or you'll get drunk from it!

Hagakure
Hagakure

I have just bought it; I can agree that this fragrance belongs to the family where Miss Dior Cherie and CC Mademoiselle are also located, though it smells less intrusively. It delivers pleasant experiences of ripe fruits, the sweetness of dark honey and elegance of balanced flowers. Lasting power is very, very good, I can smell it close to skin after 8-10 hours, but on my clothes it is easily noticeable on the next day (in such a way that I still feel its fumes around while moving). Needless is to say that although it is a very sophisticated, warm scent curiously interrupted by some earthy elements, I cannot align with it in comfortable way, I have no bloody clue why, but I can't notice it during the day, I am sure that it still lasts, but somehow I am becoming indifferent to it. As I know that it is hardly available in Poland I have a full 100ml bottle to waive :)
(Please, excuse my spelling)

mmiched
mmiched

Wow! Honey, Plum, Apricots, Oranges & Tonka Bean - Thrn Lily & Rose = Yummy - I love love love it. So Sexy!! I do not detect any patchouli. Lasts a long time. It does remind me of Givenchy Organza Indecence but much better!~

fragrancelover
fragrancelover

I get compliments from men and women whenever I wear this. I can detect the plum and honey notes and I love it. I find that I have to douse myself with it, but then it lasts all day. Love it!

brenda.arellano001
brenda.arellano001

While this is sweet, I can't help but detect these masculine notes. A little too musky. It just doesn't work well on me, for me, to me. Gladly given to my mother, since it reminds of these older scents that I recall from designers like Paloma Picasso that she tends to gravitate towards.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I gave this as a present to a friend and she wore it to a concert yesterday - Brahms, of course. I kept getting gorgeous wafts of the most deliciously refined fruit and "dessert-like" luxury mixed with subtle flowers and elegant fresh notes. This is a heavenly seductive creation. I've got to try the men's Varvatos line again.

On me JV is so distinguished and beautiful. I shutter to think if I'd never found this luscious exquisite fragrance. A few sprays of JV will last all day long on my skin, I mean all day long it smells fresh and pretty.

There are so many frags on the market that smells alike or similar so you really have to have the nose and experience to pick the really fantastic and different formulas out there, think of it as being a professional wine taster.

For me John Varvatos speaks for itself, it's "Lovely." It has now become my signature perfume. I have so many perfumes, but only a few I consider my signature-private collection and, JV is one of them.

Inessa66613
Inessa66613

reminds me on my aunt's perfume in my far childhood. gives me nostalgie. i can catch light notes of champagne.

4Vanilla
4Vanilla

Anybody Want to swap? my 50ML of JV is almost full (3/4) and I give the body lotion full, with the perfume
Message me ;D

lolllee2nd
lolllee2nd

Another scent that invokes horses for me! When I smell John Varvatos I smell a barn of dry, worn wood and filled with sweet smelling, dry, dust grass hay feed and molasses grain. The fruit/citrus scent I see listed prominently in the notes above is nearly non-existant for me, but then again my skin seems to jack up woody/spicy scents. In this fragrance, the light citrus is the lingering smell of the citrusy oil we used on our saddles and tack. Another great scent for me! I love the memories of sweet but spicy combination of grass hay, dry, weathered wood and molasses grain. Ahhhh, my new perfume journeys have turned into a stroll down memory lane, experiences both old and new. Lovely!

Milladane
Milladane

John Varvatos starts with warm fruity sweetness (I see plum and apricot listed, which matches well), then they quickly take a step back, while the florals come in. Before long, the woods join in. The very beginning reminds me of dessert wine, which I love, but it was only for a moment, because after the florals take over, it becomes more like a typical women's perfume, which I only like. I think the sweetness is just right, not too sweet, and it lightly lingers in the background throughout.

It's very modern and perhaps fit in with the times too well, making it not very distinct. If I had smelled this 15 years ago, I would have been all over it. Today, with many good fruity florals to pick from, it does not stand out enough for me to make a purchase, even if it's priced well. I'm glad I bought a sample first, because usually, with full-size bottles that are not expensive, I just blind buy it. I consider this a good office scent, but hey, I don't work in an office.

EDP: It does not last long on me, but most scents don't. It seems only the well-known classics stay on my skin well. Opening to drydown takes mere minutes, less than the time it takes to write this review. It also does not project well. If I see the parfum at the price some of you lucky people got it for, I probably will buy it and add it to my perfume hoard.

As to the comparisons to Coco Mademoiselle, I have not smelled that one in years, but I'll get a sample so I can comment on that.

sally.west1
sally.west1

Never heard of this fragrance until today. My sister received a bottle as a free gift with her new Rotary watch. She only wears Paul Smith Woman so gave me the bottle. I love it! Its a warm fuzzy apricot with sun-kissed florals and a deep sensual base. Exotic and sophisticated and very long lasting with great sillage. On first sniff it reminded me of my old favourite "Venezia" but its gentler and more subtle. After four hours on my skin it now smells of warm woods, amber and something slightly vanilla. So cosy! Not a summer scent but lovely for the colder months. As a floriental fan this ticks all the boxes!

crystalblon
crystalblon

A beautiful fragrance, not to overpowering but people notice it's there. I think men tend to like this.

21Delirium
21Delirium

A blind buy. I was looking for a new scent and only bought based on the positive reviews here. I have to say i love this!! I'd describe this as a nice fruity floral, that is elegant and feminine. Great sillage and longevity. Wish i bought the bigger size.

John Varvatos for Women is an oddly captivating fragrance. I've never seen this perfume sold in Australia, however the masculine offerings from this brand are very popular in our department stores. I was lucky enough to receive a sample of John Varvatos for Women as an extra gift when I made a purchase last month.

What struck me almost immediately was this fragrance's dry earthiness. The patchouli is rather dominant in John Varvatos for Women, hence the reason why some people love it, and some hate it. I can certainly see how this fragrance could be compared to the likes of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle EDP.

John Varvatos for Women opens with a tart blend of syrupy honey, juicy plum and apricot. Despite the rather fruity and sweet opening, this fragrance is far from predictable. The musky florals and patchouli in the heart keep this fragrance grounded. Although it's a fragrance intended to be worn by women, I think men could also wear John Varvatos with ease.

It does fall into chypre floral territory, especially with its dominant patchouli and oakmoss drydown. I am suitably impressed by this fragrance's unique composition, and even more thrilled by the inexpensive price tag.

John Varvatos for Women is a fairly versatile fragrance. However I would personally wear it during Autumn and Spring, either to the office or out to lunch. It's also inoffensive enough to be worn lightly during Summer.

While the longevity is great, the sillage is fairly light, choosing to stay rather close to the skin. Layering the scent with a matching lotion might help with the projection. All in all, John Varvatos for Women is classy fragrance that all chypre lovers should sniff at least once in their lifetime.

*Guiding Star of Mercy*
*Guiding Star of Mercy*

I agree with bluestarrdust's observation regarding certain aspects of this fragrance resembling others (Coco Mademoiselle, Badgley Mischka) in the same way as one might describe someone from the same family sharing certain traits, yet still maintaining individuality. Having bought John Varvatos blind, I can definitely say that on my skin it almost completely mimics Badgley Mischka, due to the dominant fruit and boozy vibe that both JV and BM seem to share, and which for some reason is amplified on me.
I cannot fairly compare this to Coco Mademoiselle as I have not owned CM for a few years; however I did gift it to someone, as I remember it being too sweet for me at the time, a little overpowering, and it just did not suit my personality at that particular juncture in my life. I do not at all regret purchasing John Varvatos even though it is so similar to Badgley Mischka on me. It is a pleasant, interesting perfume to wear, and I think because of it's balance between the boozy fruit and just enough earthy sweetness, it lends itself to being worn easily and comfortably, in most situations, neither shouting nor whispering it's presence.

angeldust44
angeldust44

as a strong long time lover of Coco and Coco madmos, (my main perfumes i use weekly and for past 20+ years, this does not smell like them but it does have the strong heaviness scent like them if you know what i mean, i bought it because in all honesty the perfume lady sold it to me for just over a tenner and after smelling the sample i did like it for every throughout the day use, but after using it for a couple of days the smell lasting on me is just not happening at all, it wears off after couple of hours. It has a sweetish heaviness wearing off to a slight powderiness to it and i mean slight. It is nice to wear if you like heavy perfumes for a day to day one, but it needs to be topped up..it is a pretty scent but after this one runs out i don't think i would buy it again..so it will be off in search again for a daily perfume that will substitute my craving for coco as wearing it daily is a bit expensive so i "treat" myself a couple of days a week...

iremk
iremk

I like to smell it on others not on me, since I dont like overpowering scents. I take sweet florals, spices, grass and woods from John Varvatos. It is a good combination, and it absolutely is a signature scent. worths trying, but do nor purchase without trying it on your own skin:)

ilovesmells
ilovesmells

This does not smell like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle at all. Instead this smells like a fruity version of Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights. Its a strong, almost masculine scent. I definitely smell the honey, patchouli, fruits & oakmoss. I like it :)

opallara
opallara

Uhhhh, yeah, this doesn't smell like Coco Mademoiselle. I can't figure out why anyone would say it does. It does smell nice, mind you, but it is NOT a Coco-ish fragrance. And the lasting power sucked......on me.

sweetgirl
sweetgirl

this does not smell like coco mademos. to me !? or even on me, i own that and this is a fruity badgely M. type scent and i love that one also....this is nice and fresh,elegant and a lil bit sweet but not much, warm and sexy...love!

foxy_princess

UPDATE FROM THE LAST REVIEW! I want to put this up for swap because the first time I smelled it I missed something out in this fragrance. Now that I really smell it I have to admit I strongly dislike it, it slightly made me want to vomit. I have a 99 percent full bottle (50ml) up for grabs so lemme know if you're interested and we can work something out x

foxy_princess

Sensual and alluring. This smell is very classy for such a low price. Got a 50ml bottle for under 15 pounds which is amazing! I find this smells gorgeous and expensive on me, which is surprising as it's my first blind buy :)

Anywho it starts out fruity and strong, the patchouli is really powerful in the beginning with the plum and honey in the background, but then 10 minutes later those notes fade on me and it becomes sorta earthy and woody. Really elegant. It's one of those noticeable perfumes, but not one of those that suffocate everyone around you. Good all year round scent aswell. I'd wear it out to dinner or to the office

caca102
caca102

It does resemble Coco Madamoiselle, from beginning to end. If you like CM but find it too expensive, JV is definitely a good substitute. It is sweet and fresh, and does not get nauseating like a lot of the gourmand fragrances, making it a good choice for hot weather. It also does not have a synthetic "hairspray" undertone that many "fresh" or "aquatic" scents might have. Feminine and sweet, this is not a scent that will make a big impression but will definitely please most. Like the last reviewer, I didn't smell a prominent honey note. For me it is a fresh fruity and woody scent.

mahadewi
mahadewi

I was worried when reading the notes and comments about honey being the most prominent note as personally I don't want to smell sickly sweet like honey but luckily while this perfume has some sweetness, I don't pick up that it's honey at all! I think this is quite a modern and pretty perfume with a little bit of an edge to it (so not too plain or boring). I think it would be a fairly safe bet as a gift for MOST young to middle aged women as it is not particularly challenging but is nice and inoffensive. Although everyone has different tastes so don't quote me on that! ;)I found the box and bottle very aesthetically pleasing (I got the 30ml bottle and it didn't come in a pouch). I have decided to get this perfume for my 25 year old sister for Christmas. She tends to like anything mainstream that is currently in fashion which this perfume by John Varvatos is! :)

justbeQ
justbeQ

What a little treasure from the moment you receive the box. Opening up the package and uncovering the peach velvet pouch with the JV initials, it was like it was my birthday. Wait it was! The bottle is quite lovely in shape and I love the pink-peach juice. JV has fantastic packaging for such a reasonable purchase.

The fragrance starts off powdery sweet on me. The plum and apricot are easy to find. I think the mandarin just adds to the honey in the dry down. Once that bright burst of sweet dries away which I can take or leave; the heart really develops into a creamy honey blend with a slight spice and a nice earthiness. This is the part I really like. The patchouli, tonka and oakmoss tame the sweetness and seem to keep the floral accords in check and in the background. JV really seems to work in harmony with all the notes for an overall pleasing aroma.

This is an easy to wear scent. I believe it’s definitely a great spring summer scent that can carry through into fall quite nicely especially on the warmer breezier days.

For a blind buy I’m really happy to have this little gem. I enjoy my husband’s JV Vintage so much I just decided to take a chance with it. The price was beyond reasonable and too good to pass up.

nshyng
nshyng

I've worn this fragrance many of times before, but today I fell in love..HARD..the warm earthy smell rising up from my bossoms brought a smile to face. I've had it on for more than 12 hours and I can still smell so the sillage is amazing. I would buy it again. Great buy

Annica
Annica

My first thought was "A copy of Coco M"! It is undeniable that they are very similar, at least initially. After a while they split up and John Varvatos is toward the softer side, it has a honeysweet and softer woodiness. Coco M retains little of its harshness to the end in my opinion. Both are wonderful but if I had choose it would be John Varvatos.I recommend John Varvatos for day and night all year around.

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

I normally do not care for fruity fragrances at all, but this one is quite nice.

The fruits are light,gentle and warm. They are not cloying or invasive at all, and this in certainly not a gourmand scent. They simply set the stage for a main, woody accord that seems to be the highlight of the fragrance. The woody notes are wonderful too. They are quite natural in quality, and have a bohemian and outdoorsy vibe. If you like woody scents, give this one a try for sure. This fragrance is quite similar to SheWood, but with an added soft fruitiness.

I highly recommend this fragrance for anyone who likes wood notes and is trying to build a collection.

Delightful, alluring and intensive fragrance!

This fragrance is very juicy and sweet enough. It includes so many of my favorite perfume notes, so I just can't not to like it:) The most noticeable notes are the aromatic grappa note, sour Damascus plum, tender apricot and radiant mandarin fruity notes beautified with the amazing lily, charming Turkish rose and bright mango blossom floral notes sweetened by the wild honey note. What an awesome composition!

The sillage and the lasting power of this fragrance is also great.

It really reminds Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel, but I prefer this one, because I like much more a sweet fruity combination of the plum and apricot notes in John Varvatos than a sweet combination of citrus notes in Coco Mademoiselle.

I like this fragrance a lot. It's really worthy.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

The presentation is gorgeous!! It was like unwrapping a little gift to myself!! Bravo to John Varvatos. The little blush velvet bag was a beautiful touch. I love this fragrance. This is very warm immediately on my skin. I don't get fruit. But my skin does that. If you like Coco Mademoiselle you will probably enjoy this scent.

muffy.case
muffy.case

I love...LOVE! this perfume and wish they would go further by making it into room frangrance products like candles or diffusers. (hint hint)

cammellina85
cammellina85

This fragrance smells oriental and modern. It is very well balanced and in my opinion it can be worn all year around. Being quite rich and sophisticated, I think it's suitable for women older than 25. It's a passepartout for every occasion: you can wear it in office, in the evening for a night out or to go to a wedding. Packaging is very elegant, because the bottle comes in a peachy velvet sachet.
It was a blind purchase based on the opinions of fragranticans, and I am very satisfied with it!
Thank you for your valuable opinions! xoxoxoxo
Price: 15 euros for 50 ml EDP

LanaD
LanaD

I'm in Love with smell. Great for hot summer days.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

Honestly, I fell head over heels for this bottle. This color of rose gold/morganite peach pink is irresistible to me. I got a big ol' bottle of edp on eBay, which I usually do quite well with. It all seemed on the up and up and it was even in sealed box. I like the fragrance very much, and that's good since this was blind buy. But it lasts maybe 5 minutes on me! And isn't this edp supposed to be super strong? I can't imagine someone is counterfeiting for such a reasonably priced perfume, but this last NO time. The third time I applied it, I could kind of smell it an hour later.

I still love the bottle to death. It feels so wonderful! I didn't pay much so I guess just for that is not so awful. But I really do like the scent and that makes this more painful. I wonder if Mademoiselle and some others would do the same thing? The parfum maybe?

aschiffm
aschiffm

Smells oriental and fruity. I love oriental and despise fruity in general, I do however like this one. Although Initial spray starts off too citrusy and fruity, it mellows out into a bright spicy warm honey smell mixed with refreshing peach that I really like.. a Summer day scent in my opinion, good if you're looking for a fresh warm and sweet oriental.

ree88
ree88

Heaven got this from.amazon for 20pounds a 100ml bottle and trust me I havme this is a fragrance to get if u into citrusy floral perfumes yummy ...

stella-00
stella-00

As always in my reviews, - i am very unprofessional with notes, - as do not name them , - i just write the whole impression about the product.

1st- absolutely gorgeous, not-cheap, quality bottle design and packaging...- a bottle comes in a lovely velvet rasperry - pink coloured string bag with a tiny JV pink metal medallion, attached to the string....all item preserves a pink theme( for those who plans/ thinking about buying)

2nd - just after 1st day having it ( it came with other 8 perfumes) i went bk to my on-line supplier and got 4 more of 50 ml bottles...just could not believe they can be so cheap, - just 14 euros each....and that was the only perfume out of 9 i re-purchased in that amount.

3rd - this is extremely beautiful scent. i have lots of fragrances at this stage, - but this one has a WOW factor... Fruity-elegant, like hot couture (fashion, not perfume) collection in a bottle. i would say it is summery very much.I can not really say if it is more fruity or flowery, - bit of both, but makes u want to smell it all the time. very contemporary and at the same time unique. The only drawback i find is that it does not last long on me, may be 3-4 hs, but this perfume is the re-spray kind, not the complex or severe/strong one, that needs time to settle, as it does not need time to develop, - per my observations.

Definitely recommend for any collection, worth it. and really under - priced. i would use it and for the day, and for the night.

bluestarrdust
bluestarrdust

I have Coco Mademoiselle, Badgley Mischka and now John Varvatos. I guess I can see how some people think these smell alike but that is kind of like saying all people are the same, yes they may have similar qualities but I can tell they are quite different. In fact just for fun I tried all of them on at once just to compare them and the outcome was: CM bright and chic; BM fruity, powdery, boozy (in a good way); JV fruity and earthy with a touch of honey sweetness... and all sharing citrus, tonka and patchouli.

Each one is very sophisticated and classy and you really couldn't go wrong with any one of them. I hope this helps someone that might be choosing between these 3 (or looking for reasons to have all 3 lol).

ScentOCD
ScentOCD

I'm really falling in love with this fragrance. Day two of wearing it. It starts out sweet... and biting... Both at the same time. It's like the sweet fruit - possibly the plum and the sharp patchouli are vying as to who will be center stage. I think this is a bold fragrance. The patchouli wants to be heard and it is. I LIKE that. The dry down I get the honey... and a hint of some sort of melon-ish scent. The honey does smooth it out, but this scent does not lose its bite.

I do not find anything about this to be masculine. It's definitely sexy and it is feminine in a near dominant sort of way.

This review could change as I continue to wear.

StarMagix
StarMagix

I read the reviews, wasn't too sure what I thought about them, but loved the ingredients listed, so I purchased it. I love it actually! It does not remind me of any of the other perfumes mentioned here. I find it rather unique unto itself. I love perfumes and I am always wanting to try new scents and add new scents to my wardrobe. There is something very warm and pleasing about this scent. It reminds me of Christmas and all the lovely smells associated with the Holiday. It may be the mandarin note but there is a spicy aroma that envelopes me, and just feels wonderful. I am the kind of person that always thinks fragrances should last way longer than they do. This one last about 3 to 4 hours before I wanted to respray it for that comforting aroma again.
;-) That is not too bad considering the price is affordable. I adore lovely decanters and this one is very different is the word I choose. It is pretty and easy to handle. I love the cute little velvet bag the fragrance is in. This perfume would make a beautiful gift for the right lady, if for no other reason than the way it is presented in it's adorable pink velvet bag that can be reused for precious items. A good investment for a beautiful scent.

Pierina
Pierina

Blind buy based on Fragrantica reviews and the comparison to Coco Mademoiselle..
Good purchase!
smells like the edt Coco Mademoiselle
there is nothing I dont like about this perfume.
Yay!

ralucucky
ralucucky

I blind bought this fragrance because it was a very good deal, but I have to say that I don't like it at all: it's sharp, masculine, I think it smells a little bit cheap. It does resemble to Coco Mademoiselle, other fragrance that I dislike (I think it's the patchouli note that I can't stand). Not my cup of tea.

pippab
pippab

I'm with you thaocrockett. This was a blind buy and it's a pleasant sweet fragrance but not wildly exciting or what I would call a head-turner. I can't detect any patchouli, but do seem to pick up a little bit of woods. Nice bottle, serious projection and lasting power..

Fizzy
Fizzy

Fruits + bunch of men pheromones = strong, chemical fruity cocktail smelling sharp like 8 hours-old men sweat. Very special. No, thank you! The bottle is elegant and charming.

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

I blind bought this perfume purely out of curiosity because it has many good reviews. It turned out not like I expected. It's all fruity on my skin with a little hint of honey on the background. I wouldn't say I dislike it, just not my taste.
I can't detect patchouli at all. It would be nicer if my skin could project some patchouli :)

mirunacatowl
mirunacatowl

I got JV today and I was quite curious to meet this frag.Because 1) Varvatos is a Greek name, and my boyfriend is a Greek; 2)I got it to a really nice price on ebay and last but not least 3) because of your nice reviews, people ;-)
And yes, I'm not at all disappointed. It' extremely well blended to a very equilibrated and, of all, delicate scent. the fruits are very well wraped, together with noticeable rose and lily, in patchouli-tonka, so that it is not a classically "fruited" frag, fortunately. It remembers me by very far of So Elixir by Yves Rocher, but it lacks the incense, and has the rose, both features to make it more refined, more discrete and delicate.And fortunately the jasmin is barely noticeable,I can smell only the warmness of it, for which I am very grateful ;-)) It#s a quite comforting scent. Solely the rose might have been IMO a bit fainter, but who knows, maybe then the whole composition would have moved towards heavy?
Ah, and not to forget the bottle, it's really looking gorgeous, pure and precious! All in all, don't expect an innovation, but enjoy a well done fragrance!

Update the day after: spritzed again this morning: ressembles more to Coco mademoiselle and, guess what: the rose is not so strong anymore :) I have since a couple of days the supposition that, on me, some perfumes smell differently in different days/states of mind (happened already with Boudoir, Chanel No. 19 Poudre...)

Ladymom59
Ladymom59

I got John Varvatos EP yesterday as a 2011 Christmas gift from my husband and my son and I was really impressed. Chosen by our 15 years old boy, among a lot of different designer classic fragrances I wanted to own...It is a soft and sweet marvelous combination of the ingredients, plus the presentation is beautiful and luxurious! Wonderful design at all that made me fell in love with the fragrance instantly...I adore it, and I wish I always have it in my collection.
Take in consideration that, if a teenager boy with a very poor knowledge in fragances likes and then chooses this smell among others with more time and "name" in the market, is because is something very special!

Juma
Juma

Hi! Today is my first wearing of JV.
I bought it because of fine reviews on Fragranctica and found a good bargain on-line.
I am glad I was "convinced" , once again, by all you, talented people here! I am bewitched at scent. It's so gentle that I, at first spray on my wrist, thought: well..where is any scent, so I made about 5-6 sprays and after half a minute it heated me with subtile honied plums and apricots, with hints of great mix of oakmoss, yasmin, oranges nad rose, with one word GORGEOUS!
It's one of 4 bottles I bought or swaped last month and this is first one I wear and know I am already looking forward to wear another three. If they are so good as this one...oh, happy me!

aromajunkie
aromajunkie

Blind bought this one based off reviews here. Didn't pay much for it, and I was SOOOO thankful for that because I thought it was AWFUL. There was a note that I couldnt pinpoint but it smelled undeniably MEATY to me. Not meaty as in "gives it some substance" but as in actually meat, like a slab of raw steak. The other notes were nice enough, but I could not, would not, wear this meaty UNmasterpiece out anywhere. Fast forward to another unsuccessful blind buy (dont remember what at the time) and I am getting bogged down with perfume I dont like, but cant return, and wouldnt give away. Whats a broke college student to do? I gave it the "old college try" just a few more times. I did a LOT of investigating as to what that "meaty" note could be, and.......to my surprise, I THINK it was the oakmoss. And, also to my surprise, when I tried it again much later, I liked it!! I had grown to like perfumes that were distinctly different from what I preferred at the time I bought JV, and now I find the strange quality I once called meaty to be a salty sexy vibe. Who knew???? Oh well, I'm happy to have this odd duck now, and I wear it when I want a little fruit, a little honey, and a little sexy!

Spicy
Spicy

From the very start and till very end I feel honey+oakmoss+patchouli+orange+lily mix. Interesting chypre, i agree it has smth common with Coco Mademoiselle.

aqua76239
aqua76239

For some reason, I can't wear most chypre fragrances because they literally make me nauseated. Example, Ysatis which I smelled on former coworker and it smelled so deep, spicy and glamorous on her. I tried it and within few minutes felt like I wanted to puke. "Sign". Not meant to be.
I purchased John Varvatos at Ross's for under $20, total blind buy. I have to say that I was expecting something else altogether and originally I was dissapointed. It reminded me of SJP Lovely but with more fruit notes which I liked well enough but its not quite "me".
I didn't realized how great JV is until I actually sprayed it on my hand. It had very prominent notes of honey and fruit with patch base. Try hard as I might, I couldn't really detect any floral notes which in my opinion is a good thing. I love apricot and plum in this and this smells good! I would classify this as fruity chypre which is very elegant and sophisticated. I picture well dressed socialite wearing something like this. And the lasting power is fantastic. Most fragrances today I have to spray at least 4-5 times to last few hours. With this scent, I only sprayed 2 small ones and it lasted me for at least half a day. I don't think this is my absolute favorite as I normally prefer gourmands and lot of vanilla but this is a very nice scent
To add-I agree with reviewers that compared it to Coco Mad. There are def simularities except CM is more masculine and has more patch. JV is much more feminine and wearable

Cynicalwish
Cynicalwish

A sweet liqueur, made of fruit and honey.
It's warm, sophisticated and feminine.
Lasts long on clothes, it lingers with its delicious drydown.

tfaye706
tfaye706

Just received this in the mail wow!! such a pretty fragrance florals come to the fore strong and then it dries down powdery jasmine lily honey apricot and plum settling in is the patouli. Great sillage I can still smell this the next day on my skin if you like Coco Mademoiselle this is in the line as that smell. I got this for $20 bucks on ebay . Such a great blind buy I am extremely pleased.

Abyss1001
Abyss1001

Delicious, rich, creamy, fruity and intense...highly recommend!

chowchow41
chowchow41

I got the botlle yesterday. When i opend the box the perfum was in a velvet pouch. I sprayed it on and indeed it has similarities with Coco Mademoiselle only this one is warmer and softer. In the opening you smell the apricot, plum and then the jasmin appears. When it calmes down i get a honey with tonkabean and oakmoss. It is a perfume suitable for every day to wear. Its really soft and stays close with you. I like it.

sugar_sweet
sugar_sweet

To my nose it is the same as coco mademoiselle edp, maybe a little bit softer, stays closer to my skin than CM. Good price, excellent perfume!

Pari88
Pari88

This is such a beautiful fragrance! Deep flower notes, jasmine, mixed with honey and a tad bit of citursy fruit. On my skin it smells like the lovechild of dior dune and coco mademoiselle. Just beautiful! An exotic smell, almost tropical island like, but wait a little longer and it changes into a cold night next to a warm fire. Exotic, sophisticated, I would wear this one on a yacht party with some of the worlds richest folk :-) Not too sweet or flowery, definitely a chypre! I would say more of a honeyed flower, as the fruits last only a little while after the initial spray. The dry down is scrumptious. Perfect for a fancy occasion, and just as good to wear every day. You cant wear this one and be forgotten. It is a very distinct smell, yet also so familiar. This could be the best honey fragrance I have smelled, without being a milky creamy honey, more like fresh white honey not golden honey. Love it! Good for those cuddly nights as well.
-- Most fragrances, in my experience, smell similar to one another, but they are always different in ways. Also, our skin has its own scent, so it mixes in different ways with certain notes that no matter how u mix em, it will always smell THAT WAY on your skin.
:-) enjoy

Update: Once again, one of those perfuems that made me fall in love so quick, but made me fall out of love even quicker. This turned sickly sweet on me...too bad...

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

Oh, how I love this scent! It's so rich and classy that I just could not help falling in love with its seductive ways.

John Varvatos opens with sweet juicy fruits, and a boozy note...like fruits that have been soaked in rum or cognac. The citrus note works perfectly with the sweetness in the opening.

As it dries down, the rich honey comes into its own and the blend of florals and honey and the slight remaining fruitiness is so intoxicating.

Later on the patchouli and oakmoss open it up to another dimension, proving it to be a true chypre.

This is a lovely fragrance, but it is not light and airy. It's thick and dense and sinfully rich.

It's the scent of extravagance. Yet thankfully the price is not extravagant. It smells like a very expensive classic fragrance but can be found at a bargain price.

Average lasting power and good sillage from this scent, which, by the way, drives men wild.

A fantastic addition to any collection.

ahnm
ahnm

this is one of the very few perfumes that smell SO GOOD on my skin! it smells better on skin than on paper or clothing. i don't know what it is about this scent but it transforms and turns into a clean, soft, creamy scent on my skin. smells expensive, too. i LOVE catching whiffs of this throughout the day. it's very pleasant and also unique

Bouquet

The pure parfum smells like warm fruit compote made with sweet wine or plum brandy, honey, apricots, and plums and drizzled with vanilla. Upscale,lush, chic and elegant scent. I have the body lotion, too. This might be my signature fragrance if it only had slightly better silliage and lasting power.
4 stars out of 5.

olga1780
olga1780

I tested it first at Marshalls a few months ago but never bought it. First of all, I wasn't convinced that it wasn't just another pleasant boredom in a bottle (which I already have enough of), and also, I am not a fan of buying small bottles.
Later, I was ordering quite a few perfumes from one seller and threw a large bottle of this in the order becasue it was a great deal.
To all perfumistas: I can't emphasize anough how testing a perfume on your hand with one spray and putting it on to get the overall feel and effect in most cases can be so different that after buying it you can be left pleasantly surprised or deeply disappointed.
In the case of John Varvatos I was extremely pleased and I wore it a couple of times before writing the review to make sure it wasn't just initial elation of the new scent.This scent turned out so beautiful and elegant on me. It has this quality that I love the most about perfumes: when it can be quite intense and noticeable but at the same time transparent and not dense without being overwhelming and oppressive. I am getting the fruits, the honey, and the floral bouquet...but despite its sweetness it can be easily worn in summer without suffocating yourself and friends and family.
It easily lasts for five hours, which you shouldn't be complaining about considering tha fact that A LOT of fragrances on today's market barely make it past 2 hour mark. And its sillage will also make your presence known.
Great job, John Varvatos!

sablebombe
sablebombe

I got this today and I am pleased to say I am very happy! With my chemistry it certainly lives up to what I expected from the notes. Plum, apricot, honey, rose on the opening and gently warming to the tonka, oakmoss and patchouli - although the opening is not sickly sweet fruitiness but a cleverly crafted mellowness of the fruit scent! The rose does stand out very well which I am happy with - being a rose fan!

I bought blind and am glad I did and it will certainly feature in my perfume library. It is a fantastic day scent for all seasons and a perfect evening scent - not too cloying to overpower food!

I am completely happy with this perfume.

CassiaM
CassiaM

If you want to experience the real scent get the .5 oz, in the gold bottle ONLY. It smells totally different from the EDP. The gold bottle smells warm and haunting. The two almost don't seem like the same perfume. Odd.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

John Varvatos is such a Coco Mademoiselle fragrance :-)
There are striking similarities between CM and JV in opening and heart.
John Varvatos smells more chypre fruity than chypre floral to me, at least for the first 3 hours. It is only after 3 hours I get to smell beautiful floral notes of rose, lily and jasmine.
Whenever I wear it, my friends always mix it up with Coco Mademoiselle so it is not only my nose that is incapable of telling them apart.
John Varvatos is a lovely classy fragrance and will suit a professional such as manager or executive person.
It will also be a great finishing touch when going to an exclusive restaurant.
It is a head turner and I only wish it had better staying power as it lasts approx. 5 hours on me, which I am aware is actually not bad at all, I guess I was just hoping for more...
And this is a major flaw of this fragrance.
Otherwise, very interesting, elegant and feminine fragrance. A sexy and rich one.
The bottle is pretty.

Manya3
Manya3

Pleasant, but not outstanding. Can't really see the similarity with neither Coco Mademoiselle nor Poison, which are more complex and probably more difficult to wear.
I don't smell anything spicy or chypre-like here : it's a soft floral with a distinct and agreeable peach note.
Nice for daily wear, it's not loud and the longevity is OK. It's the kind of scent that is easy to like - light and feminine, it's perfect for a gift.

Lilii
Lilii

I bought this one not cheap like others but still I can say I am satisfied with my purchase. Both the bottle and perfume do not look cheap at all. Actually they look and smell pricy. When I smell the juice for the first time I did not like it so much it seemed to me that the smell was so mature. But now after a few weeks I can say I like it. it smells warm, rather sexy, fruity and it is quite long lasting...and high quality...I am quite sensitive to chemical elements in perfumes and this one does not give me any asthma or breathing problem. it worth the money you pay for it. It is not so loud and therefore wearable..I spray it once and I smell it at least for 24 hours..there is sth in it that I find suitable for me. Have this ever happened to you when you smell a perfume and like the smell but you think it does not match your personality? It seems strange but it is one of the reasons that for example I dont wear chanel perfumes..This one fortunately suits me.And one more thing: you should not expect sth extraordinary or very original from this one.

Mirabelle
Mirabelle

I found this little gem yesterday for £15.00 in a clearance box at a perfume shop. I was going to purchase it then I asked one of the girls to try it first: yes thanks on my skin not a piece of paper!
I smelled it, I bought it!! Big crush!
I put it on one arm tonight just to see what I could say about this beautiful eau de parfum.
Tonight, when I sprayed on my skin it shouted: Poison! which I have tried a few times, although I would not be able to wear it. Now, I got to the dry down, it is earthy yes but I am surprised to find a little bit of Kenzo Jungle l'Eléphant. So, this makes me very happy as it very rare to find even on the net... Plus JV is more subtle and elegant than Jungle (which I still adore). It just remind me of cumin? well some spices used in culinary recipe...
Has any one tried this on their other half, I'd be curious to see how it evolves on a man skin...
If what has been described as a masculine note (oakmoss/patchouli) is definitely there, the honey prevents it of going too far. It is rather classy,deep, for real women and the first fruity notes are not what I would call gourmand. It is more refined yet still seductive but not at all a girly girl scent. I have not tried any other JV perfumes but I am curious to do so now. Might want to go back to shop and get another bottle for winter months as I guess, this one won't last long... although I would avoid it in summer/hot weather. Spring is still there and mornings are still quite fresh for me to enjoy this beauty.
As for comparing it with Coco Mademoiselle, I'd rather say no, Coco is quite girly girl/signature scent, nothing masculine in it... I wear Mademoiselle, it's very precious to me.
JV is a bit loud and heavy at first but it might also be the consequences of the eau de parfum, I don't care, I love this, did not last long enough in my opinion... Did not get anything from the middle note(?) but yet, I am still at the experimental stage of this perfume. Love the first spritz, enjoying the dry down, which is almost floriental skin scent and quite discreet now... oh and intriguing too.
I might wear it tomorrow and come back to add sthing to my review. Thumb up so far for JV Women!

While I like the scents for men by JV, I found this a bit non-telling. It is a nice daytime or office scent and doesn't hurt, but it isn't living up to the originality of the men's scents. Just another light floral.

JoannaM
JoannaM

I've just got it , purely because of intriguing reviews and I love it! It's an absolute beauty! For me however it reminds of Ispahan by Yves Rocher not Coco Madmoiselle!

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

I waited for so long before I could test this. Finally my sample arrived in the post today!! What can I say? I expected something fruity and perhaps darker. What I get is a warm sweet scent. The honey is coming out on me really nicely. I don't get the plum or any of this other fruits for that matter. It is mostly honey and flowers on my. I really like it. Although it is sweet, it is by no means cloying. I find it elegant and sofisticated up until the dry down. The dry down itself reveals a rather bitter note on me which makes me a lot less fond of the perfume than I am when I first apply it. I think it is the oakmoss that does this, I am really not a fan of it.

A lot of people here have said that Joh Varvatos is similar to Coco Mademoaselle. I have been wearing CM for quite a while and I have to say I find the two very different.

Before I tried JV I had read the reviews here and had a certain expectaion of what it would smell like. My expectations weren't fulfilled. But a few weeks after I tried JV, I came across Sensuous Noir (Estee Lauder) and was surprised to find out that I had expected JV to smell exactly like Sensuous Noir :-)

orchid_84
orchid_84

This fragrance is enticing enough to make my mouth water! The fruits in this are very realistic...juicy apricot and plum with just enough pleasant tartness. The honey sweetness is lovely, and the oakmoss and patchouli add an earthy quality that keep it from getting too sweet. Very feminine, sensuous, and mature.

Others have said JV is similar to Coco Mademoiselle, however, I never would have made that association myself. I love CM, but don't think it smells similar to JV at all. I most certainly looking forward to owning a full bottle of this juicy, delicious concoction one day.

Yamba1
Yamba1

This is my go to floral perfume and a staple in my perfume wardrobe. I use it as a workhorse, - it's dependable, easy to wear, and lovely. It took a few weeks for me to truly appreciate this perfume. At first I thought it didn't live up to the hype as it was a little too fruity for me. It wasn't long before I was hooked and I can't sing it's praises enough.

Unlike almost all of the perfumes in my collection, this I can almost guarantee the compliments will flow.

I have found the best way to promote sillage is to go heavy on the sprays and also spray my hair. It's not overpowering at all, and will produce wonderful wafts for many hours.

Highly recommended!!

TankGirl
TankGirl

A fantastic composition that it is at the same time really feminine and masculine, somewhat reminds me of Obsession Night for her. Very sexy, dark, sweet and again sexy. Perfect for night and special occasions. It opens with a strong peach, plum and patchouli note and than gets warmer and more feminine with the honey note and the smoky oakmoss. It is a perfume for someone who likes the smell of cigarettes and man colone. Strong, acid, warm, and sexy in a very mature way.
A keeper and a new favourite.

Sillage: not for monster sillage lovers has it is a lay down/come closer scent.

Longevity: 6h +/-

Personality: Latin, Mature, Sexy and it suits someone who smokes die hard perfectly. It has a 90' vibe at the same time it can be putted in the same group of ultra sexy scents like Angel, Hypnotic Poison and Tabu, they share something: strip club aura. Love it!

vincy_gal

I bought it on sale without trying it first. Well that should teach me!! haha...

All I can say about this frag is 'meh'... it is SO neutral on me..neither stinky nor wonderful...just 'meh'. It has sat long enough on my shelf that I will quite likely give it away. Oh well..it was dirt cheap....

amayachan
amayachan

This perfume wasn't what i had expected it to be, someone had mentioned this was similar to chanel mademoiselle - one of the biggest reasons i even swapped for this and also a big mistake.

like many others have said, this smells slightly masculine, weird sweet smell (could be the honey? i'm not a fan of honey) which could be why i don't like this fragrance much, if anything, at all.

i only tested it 3x before deciding that i will put it up for swap - pm me if interested! it's the big bottle with 95% left.

scentous
scentous

apricot/peach/plum combo with light flowery accord (rose, jasmine and a dominating patchouli)is the recipe..not cloying like other sweet florals with similar notes, but has a classy warm and modern aspect..patchouli may give a headache at the beginning but softens with the dry down..not a teen perfume but both young and mature women can wear easily..longevity and sillage is good..velvet bag with the peach color is very sweet, also the bottle has a classy design with the same color..very similar to chanel allure sensuelle and YSL elle..

ivyheel
ivyheel

I have not liked a perfume this much in quite a while. This is an especially warm and sophisticated perfume. Not suffocating, but like a gentle ray of sunshine. One of the notes in this perfume is grappa, and I'm not sure why it's not listed here. Along with the fruits and a hint of spiciness, the grappa note is pretty strong right out of the bottle, but does not make the perfume "boozy". (Still, this is probably not what I would want to smell if I've had a drink too many the night before...) The honey is present from the start and stays there.

I think this could be worn by pretty much any age group above the teens. :)

Carnelian
Carnelian

This is like a "chypre-lite." Not unique but still very nice. Goes on fruity-sweet (not sugary at all) like a fruity floral. 20 minutes in, the base becomes prominent and the fruits fade, and you get the earthy, dark green woodiness of the oakmoss and patchouli blending in equally with the florals. A couple of other reviews have said that it's "all over the map" and not well defined, but I personally like that it keeps you guessing, as well as how it's blended, with nobody taking center stage - more an ensemble that way. I pick out plum strongest first, then rose and jasmine with the oakmoss strongest. I would not have been able to identify the other listed notes. It's a good pick for those who want to try a chypre but are intimidated by the "heavy hitters" or for warmer temps. Not for the office!

Roeetha
Roeetha

I bought myself the EDP after reading the wonderful reviews left here. I am disapointed, very. No Apricots or warmth, no fruit at all. The opening was high and sharp, probably the Bergamot - it overwhelmed everything else to the point where I sneezed, and sneezed and sneezed some more! Silage was minor, floral so subtle as to be almost invisible. Sadly no honey or woods. It seems my chemistry does not blend well with this fragrance. Luckily it has poor staying power! It so often surprises me how differently fragrances and skin interact.

jaa456
jaa456

This is just a beautiful perfume, I first purchased this in Bloomies for $80 and now its being discounted. What a steal! I've purchased several more bottles to last me until Armageddon.

The spillage is amazing, it opens with stone fruit, drizzled in honey, then the floral peek through before drying down to an earthy skin scent. It can be worn all year round and for any occasion.

John Varvatos made this for his wife...she sounds like a worldly woman I would love to hang out with.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

I really enjoy a local wine named Veraison, which is described as a blend of chardonnay, muscat and cabernet sauvignon, resulting in a soft fruity blush. It also takes its name from a viticulture (grape-growing) term meaning the onset of ripening.

John Varvatos reminds me so much of Veraison, in both color and aroma--right down to the rosey, stone fruit accord with a gentle, warm nuzzle to finish.

Even the ovular, blush colored bottle suggests an 'onset of ripening' in the most feminine way.

Very wearble, yet not generic. It will make you feel sensual and nubile.

Incredibly fleshy and earthy.

honeysuckle
honeysuckle

This one is amazing on my skin. Absolutely one of the most wearable fragrances (for me) that I've found yet.

I really enjoy the apricot-plum opening (it doesn't smell much like there's mandarin in it to me... not overwhelmingly citrusy, just fruity and bright, but rich and a bit sweet) and the well-rounded floral heart is so gentle, almost voluptuous? A lot of times jasmine & rose together in modern fragrances bore me, yet here they just smell rich, a bit creamy, a bit fresh. The fruitiness hangs over the heart notes and gives the fragrance a distinct feeling of "body."

But the base notes! Oh ho ho, dear readers. The base notes.

There is oakmoss in this to be sure. The patchouli honestly stays in the background a bit for me - it's there, but it sort of keeps its head down. That's fine, I like patchouli well enough but i tire of it. On my skin the oakmoss really "shines," as it were. Perfectly balanced with the fruits and florals in the first stages of the perfume, a creamy, honey-drizzled oakmoss comes out and smells amazing on me. The perfect, mossy sweatiness, sharp but balanced. The honey - oh how I love honey notes - sticks around vaguely with just a bit of sweetness. I put this on before bed yesterday and could still smell oakmoss in the morning. It is a chypre that is perfectly wearable and balanced, warm, well-rounded, rich - yet it is definitely a chypre, at least on me, and it still has a good bit of character.

It's not revolutionarily distinctive, per se, but if it works with your skin chemistry it's a beautiful, well-done fragrance. It's wearable in a way I don't find makes a particular distinct statement, but fits in with my life whenever/however I need it too with a certain elegance and grace, without being something I feel is ubiquitous or a "bad match" for me.

I really think the essence of this fragrance is warmth and sensuality. A richness. It's extremely feminine in a way that I find fits me perfectly. I'm delighted.

Gosha
Gosha

This is very feminine, sparkling, fluffy and lighthearted, sweetish (there really seems to be plenty of honey here) and fruity with a bunch of pretty flowers thrown in...and - did I mention that this is very feminine? :-) Someone here seems to get the impression that there is a bit of a masculine feeling in this...not on me, I have to say. This is as girly as it gets. Lighthearted, pink, uncomplicated, even a bit frivolous, it is nice, but rather straightforward. On application I was almost instantly reminded of Caline by Gress and checking the composition - there are plenty of the same notes indeed (but I have to add that due to its tart, unusual bittersweetness, Caline is the one with real magnetic attraction for me).
If I was to put this fragrance into a category, it would be a fruity-floral-gourmand. :-)
After trying this a few times now, I have to add that the longevity is really poor on me, after an hour I am trying hard to smell anything at all.

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

Also under a spell of this perfume. Moving feminity, smooth pretty thing. Strange but it smells like 'right feminine cherry' to me with deliciously creamy facets. Unobtrusive, not really loud. A kind of sexy charm that elevates. 2 stars from Tanya Sanchez? I would give this 'sweet fougere' fab 4 **** without hesitation. :)

Bouquet

My experience was exactly like Sweetnspicey ... the only thing I have to add is that to me, the pure parfum smells like warm fruit compote, drizzled with wine and honey. So hold out for the pure parfum.

candymarie
candymarie

All the notes are mild, and pleasantly so. I don't usually like fruity, but this is different - subtle fruit mixed with subtle wood. So, I guess perfect for those who normally shy away from fruity, but embrace chypre.

It's as though the perfumiers took some loud fruity chypre and diluted it to make it softer and dreamier.

BTW, I now have both the EDP and the pure parfum. The parfum lasts much, much longer, with better sillage, yet is softer than the EDT.

oceanbreeze
oceanbreeze

I got the EDP and would like to hear about the difference between this and the pure Parfum. I love the scent, but it is not long lasting enough to my liking. I hope that the perfume is long lasting. COULD anyone please tell me if there is a difference in the scent.

I saw the 0.5 oz pure Parfum at TJ Max for only $13. I bought it despite the mixed reviews. I am SO glad I did! It's intoxicating. I still can't believe I got such a superior perfume for so cheap. Might need to go back and buy the last bottle.

When I sniff this fragrance, I immediately think of sweet, luscious plums and nectarines flambed with the finest brandy. I also think of dark red velvet for some reason.

There is definitely something masculine about this fragrance. It's woody in a unique way. On me it's so sexy! Love, love, love this fragrance!

I opened the box to unexpectedly find an exquisite velvet pouch, which opens to reveal a small, beautiful, shiny rose-gold colored flacon with a stopper rather than a spray. It was like opening a gift on Christmas morning! Never have I had so much joy in opening a box of perfume. Sorry to spoil the surprise for you!

guest_nossy
guest_nossy

This is my blind purchase for its good reviews here but um truly dissapointed. My experience more less like cheryl5406. It's too strong and heavy on me a bit masculine ..or maybe i have to wait to see how it make a different after several hours??

icekat
icekat

JOHN VARVATOS is charming, feminine and alluring. It is stunning from the first notes of luscious fruits to beautiful flowers in the heart and woody sweet base notes. This fragrance has gorgeous honey like sweetness which I absolutely love. It is not vanilla like or candy like. It is floral, beautiful and classy. It smells heavenly!

This fragrance is fruity floral but it is nothing like most floral fruity on the market. It is well balanced and sophisticated. The perfume opens with delicious fruits: plum, apricot and mandarin. It continues developing into sweet honey-like floral heart. The rose and lily are beautiful. They blend together with a touch of jasmine to create romantic, feminine and alluring scent. The dry down brings a bit of earthy oakmoss and patchouli but it still has a sweet tone.

JOHN VARVATOS is one of my favorite perfumes. It is comforting and easy to wear but at the same time so refined and sophisticated. It is balanced and elegant, cozy and classy. I definitely would recommend it to someone who appreciates chic and sophisticated floral fruit scents. The sillage is great and longevity is at least 9 to 10 hours.

Cheryl5406
Cheryl5406

I decided to try this based on reviews I read - not a fan. The notes all sounded so exotic and alluring but on me it's just Stink City. The only redeaming quality in this perfume is that it does not last long enough to have to wash it off. My skin chemistry does not seem to react well to most vanillas - it turns strangely pungent...

Update 12/27/10: After trying to use this again and again I have given up on this terrible perfume. The fume of this scent makes me ill and makes my nose ache to breathe - I can't believe there is anyone on this earth that would want to share space with anyone wearing this horrible stench...

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

Been waiting so long for this in the mail. It finally arrived and I'm NOT disappointed in the least. It's exactly what I imagined it to be... a beautiful floral wrapped and toasted in a warm cloud of honey, rum, and subtle spice. I get plenty of jasmine & rose to make it soft, feminine and sweet. There is a powderiness to it as well. I really like this a whole lot! I'm not a huge floral fan, but when a rare floral does work on me, it always seems to be a Chypre. The bottle is gorgeous, like a piece of ripe pink fruit, tempting you to taste. I would recommend this scent in the spring, summer months, or on any day when you just want to feel like a GIRL!

narcotic
narcotic

If this is a chypre floral, then I'm Keira Knightley.

There is a very good reason why we shouldn't spray our bodies with several different kinds of perfume, just as, in general, we don't play ten different songs at the same time. More is not better. I do love parts of John Varvatos, like its juicy mandarin opening and the woody, moody drydown, but it's just a mess. It's all over the place in terms of mood and accordance, which is a pity considering that it smells relatively well made (a rarity, really).

Unsurprisingly, JV smells infinitely better on paper than on skin, where it doesn't compete with environment or human smell, but we're not made of paper. Even with the juice's neat peach colour and pleasantly weighty bottle, I must regrettably give this a pass.

skitten
skitten

John Varvatos, is simply exquisite. It is not heavy and overpowering in any way.
It sticks close to the skin, makes you want to sniff your arm, to check that it is still there, and you know it is, but you just need to sniff it, because it is just so mmmm.....lovely, heavenly and Is what it is.
Is a, I want to keep sniffing it type of smell.
It it so divinely blended that I can't really tell you what I smell, except that it is warm, mellow, sweetly musky, Like Lifesavers pink musk lollies.
A perfume I recommend that has class and is a perfume I love.
Sexy and sublime, a chypre floral I not ever smelt, as they not my usual thing.
10 out of 10 for me.... do try it...xx

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I found a small gold bottle of JV perfume at TJ Max. At first it was just another TJ Max discount special, the fruity part was most prominent. After I wore it on my skin for an hour it became this warm scent with a little spice. Really nice , not a heavy spice smell but just enough to make it perfect . Like a when you add a pinch of spice to apple pie, it just sets it off the fruity part and makes it wonderful. I like it better than CoCo Mdm.Chanel because it's more soft and subtle. If you see it at TJs , you might want to try it.

IamWoman
IamWoman

I received John Varvatos almost two weeks ago, and I am still "honeymooning" with it. I cannot stop inhaling once I've applied it. This fragrance is incredible and almost impossible to describe. It is a beautiful, sensual juicy-floral-green-woody blend whose notes seem to dance and swirl around each other. It is classy, refined, and elegant; yet it also distinctly exotic. Part of me really wants to put my finger on exactly what "it" is about this fragrance, and part of me is too busy enjoying every minute of it to care!! It's extremely feminine without being "too" anything...sweet, cloying, overwhelming or anything of that nature. It is WELL-balanced...or might I say well-blended, as all of the notes seem to "weave" in and out of each other. It is refined and seductive...ladylike without trying too hard...sexy without being "trampy"...attention-getting without "screaming". This is the laid-back kind of beauty who everyone notices, yet she never fights for the attention...she's just relaxed and approachable, yet undeniably gorgeous, warm and sexy. I read a review suggesting that women may want to buy a LOT of this as we might want to wear it all of the time. I have to say, wholeheartedly, I agree! This is an unmistakeable classic and a permanent member of my fragrance family.

guest_LeeLee
guest_LeeLee

I really am surprised at how much I love this frag. I've been shying away from fruity compositions as of late, but this has captured me. It's not fruity in the domiantly "sweet" sense, but rather more of a juicy pulp sense perhaps, which isn't overpowering to me because the florals and earthy notes balance it well and share the stagefront. The lasting power on me is excellent, and my boyfriend finds this scent abosolutely intoxicating.

moonwalker
moonwalker

This is a very nice perfume but unfortunately it doesnt last very long on me. It is lovely sweet perfume, I can mainly smell abricot, jasmine and honey. It does in fact reminds Chanel Coco Mademoiselle but of course CM is better blended, with better sillage, and better lasting power (but it is also true that CM is four or five times more expensive...)

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

Discontinued? I found the parfum at TJ Maxx for $12.95... and it's still $125 on websites. Don't get ripped off if you love it, just look there first. It's a small mauve pink box so you'll have to dig around the shelves.

guest_Nathalie
guest_Nathalie

This is a nice perfume, yes, it reminds Coco M. but JV's lasting power is very weak, it can't be compared with Coco M.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I just purchased the perfume. It's lovely, well blended chypre reminiscent of coco mademoiselle which I love. My only complaint is the bottle I got is the 15 ml bottle with a wand and while trying to open some perfume spilled out. :(

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

Saw this on sale the other day for very cheap so I thought I'd try it since I read so many good reviews on this. Well it is a good fume but just too fruity for me unfortunately. I like warmer more earthy perfumes I guess but honestly it smelled to me like a dupe almost to Chloe Narcisse just way more fruity. I can see why many ladies would like this but I just had to pass on this one it's just too fruity.

One of the best women's fragrances I've ever smelled...Rodrigo Flores-Roux is an absolute pefume wizard and I cannot say enough about his genius. Upon first smelling this I knew there had to be more than just the listed notes in here...and I was right. Thank you to GlitterAlex! Most RFR creations are made of three very distinct levels with major notes in them but he has the gift of bringing subtlety and complexity to each one of his "children"...

So often in perfumery there are a myriad of women's scents and only one or two for men; JV has turned this around and given us many fine mens scents and one superlative feminine. Regardless of whether this is a floral or fruity chypre it is absolutely heavenly...

It begins with a juicy fruity beginning of not too much citrus and luscious dark plums and vibrant apricots, the grappa note gives a slight booziness to it that is warm and fumey. Here too, the florals and ever so gentle spices peek out. As the heart chord begins the flowers join in what I can only call a dance as they disappear and reappear. The mango blossom echoes the juicy beginning in a very floral way and the rose, lily and jasmine burst forth in a subdued but rich explosion. I sense lighter early spring florals here too and they soften the otherwise stong bouquet. The rose in this is strong and oriental with an almost liquid prescence. The drydown here is for me the best part, the smooth sweetness of honey, the warmth of the tonka bean, the light teasing patchouli. The chypre nature of this is evident by the powdery mossy drydown accented with spicy woody ambrette and the mysterious richness of styrax. This is the nectar of the gods to me and I know many of you find it too sweet, or too weak but to me it is that perfect place where you feel safe, loved and comfortable...

Sillage: very good
Longevity: good
Overall: 5/5 Nirvana!

When testing this I sprayed a test strip and after the initial impression laid it on the table (not realising I had laid it on thermal paper) and it actually darkened the paper with its fumes! This juice is a magical elixir that somehow heals my soul and reminds me of a place I may have never been but am aching to go to. If I could have I would have given it 6 out of 5 but that is a rating reserved solely for Chanel No 5...

Ladybee373
Ladybee373

I originally saw this perfume featured in a magazine and the notes really intrigued me: apricot, damask plum, oriental lily, indian mango blossom, egyptian jasmine, turkish rose, and wild honey. It was like some exotic global excursion and from each distant land a little piece of that place went into this perfume. I also get this very smooth brandy note, but i like it, no I don't wanna smell like booze, but this note makes me think of some vanilla infused barrel that the brandy mellowed in for just the right amount of time. Yes there is a definite sweetness to this fragrance (honey) but it's not cloying nor does it make me think of a lot of those cheap sugary body sprays that are everywhere you turn these days but lack any definitive indiduality, no, this is the sophisticated yet relaxed, classy yet casual kinda perfume that you could wear daily and I love it!

diabolicalsister
diabolicalsister

Whoa! Blast of plastic in the opening! No fruits at all. Gross. (maybe and old sample?)However, in about 10 min. it develops into something quite nice. I can't find any rose (which is a good thing for me). I only smell lillies and jasmin lightly drizzled with honey, on top of a fresh cut plank of sandalwood. It's nice, sweet, and inoffensive enough for the office but not interesting enough for me to need this in my collection. I might pick it up if I find it real cheap.

sharyssa

I am wearing this now I sprayed one time and I am smelling it nicely.This is a good fragrance and I already reviewed once but I am sitting here smelling this and enjoying so I had to review again.Lasting power is a perfect 10! Thanks John V.!

nyoka
nyoka

WeI will be,as we say in the south.I swore I would never love a fruity scent.Just too young smelling but,I lied!This is a masterpiece.On the first spray,it is so lovely that it almost made me dizzy.SWeet,creamy plums and oranges!!!Like they r glistening fresh off the trees.but,The thing I like is,they r not TOO sweet.Just enough to make you smile.A rose,jasmine mixture slowly evolves and u r transported away to a beautiful flower garden.The florals r not the same as Ive smelled before.The rose and jasmine smell like they r fresh!I can almost see a light pink rose tipped in hot pink arround the edges,dripping with dew in the early morning.The jasmine swirling and bending this way and that with deep green leaves.This is a fume thats lasts and unlike a lot of fumes,u can smell the flowers and fruits all the way thru.Towards evening the drydown comes round to meet you.IT is still milky,creamy but with accords of oakmoss and tonkabean.Lovely.Just enough woody to finish off the fruits and flowers.SExy fume without shouting.Great for anyage.THey say promises were made to b broken,this is one I did.Who would have thought id ever love fruity?But,only thing,,,its in the wrong catagory.But,right for me!!!

1blondeangel
1blondeangel

A modern twist on a classic style fragrance. Expertly crafted sophisticated scent. Alluring plum, mandarin & apricot blend softly with romantic Jasmine, Lily, Rose & Mango blossom. A slightly green freshness is established with the moss & patchouli. I can't say enough about this fragrance. Compliments galore. This fragrance was meant for a well dressed lady who can get a little freaky in the boudoir & keep the secret.

delphine67
delphine67

I would love to try this one, but unfortunely they dont sell it here in the Netherlands ;-(

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

I totally agree with sherapop.
This is a fruity perfume that has been covered with dust and a vagueness of goal. Not too guilt-free-fruity to be called girly and joyful,not too well-done to be called a mature fruit.

I always try to guess the "official" category of fragrances which I plan to review on the basis of a sample vial (unlike FBs, which I usually wear many times before writing a review--since I have that luxury...), so upon initially spritzing JOHN VARVATOS, which I had been looking forward to with great anticipation, given the hype, my first reaction was: "Oriental Floral". A few seconds later: "Fruity floral". A couple of minutes later: "Floral Woody Musk". What I would never have guessed in a million years was the "correct" answer: "Chypre Floral"!

JOHN VARVATOS is truly all over the map, as they say, but not in a pleasant way. The problem for me is summed up well by Fragrantican weegee, who also demurs from the chypre categorization of JV. There's something somehow stale or old about the fruits and the flowers. Or maybe the canned fruit cocktail cubes and spheres, in their washed-out, almost pastel oranges and yellows, have sapped the flowers of their freshness. Don't know. Don't really care. Not on my wish list.

I should say that the patchouli drydown is okay, but the trajectory this fragrance follows in getting there is not a mellifluous journey--although honey is listed as a note. Rather than manna from heaven, JOHN VARVATOS is to me more like canned fruit cocktail, rather mushy and devoid of well-defined flavors.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i bought this one unsniffed due to reviews comparing it to coco mad. the cute fuzzy pink packaging didn't hurt either. all i get from this is subdued flowers on a fresh cold base. the base feels like an attempt at the clean feel of most Ralph Lauren fumes. i don't even detect patchouli. boring....

817flowers
817flowers

I love this - finally decided to purchase it after sampling it several times. To me it is a woody, soft, almost masculine fragrance. Not a girly one. I think it leaves such a pleasant dry down.

belletresor
belletresor

I had seen some great reviews for this - both here at Fragrantica, and in magazines like Elle and InStyle, so I was very excited to try it.

Well, I am definitely NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This is a wonderful chypre floral!! (Less chypre, more floral.) I think what I am liking most is the MELLOW fruity notes which set it apart. I am not a fan of scents that are "too sweet" (couldn't handle Hypnose for that reason)- I need something in the mix to calm down fruit notes and sweet notes like jasmine or honey, and JV finds the right blend here.

LOVE the opening notes and definitely can smell the apricot and plum throughout the stages of dry-down. I think the mango helps keep the fruity notes more toward a grown-up seductive profile than a girlish teenager fruitiness - (which is why I just couldn't like Juicy Couture - too juvenile for me). Dries down warm thanks to the oakmoss & patchouli, while definitely floral with just enough fruit notes to be sensual but low-key. Could definitely work for daytime / office very nicely!!

JV's wife (and muse for this fragrance) sounds like my kinda woman! I picture her as very feminine and unapologetically in touch with beauty, nature and sensory pleasures. The bottle design is wonderful - beautiful to look at and satisfying to hold.

Many are comparing this to Coco Mademoiselle (which I also wear), but I don't really see enough similarity. CM is very, very strong and has some "mineral notes" that keep it kind of edgy. JV is softer... noticeable but gentle. JV is how I would like to smell on a perfect vacation to the Fidji islands: warm, lazy, dreamy, elegantly relaxed, enjoying nature; while Coco Mdmsle reminds me of a luncheon gathering of lovely, effortlessly chic Parisienne women who WANT to be noticed.

I do agree with others here that while this one is a lovely "winner", it does not set itself apart enough from other "nice, classy" fragrances to make it to my "LOVE" list...but I do LIKE it A LOT and it will be a regular in my wardrobe!

NOTE TO GLITTERALEX: I am SO glad the young girls in your shop don't go for it!!! LOL!!

sharyssa

I got a big bottle cheap at TJ Maxx and I'll tell you this is a nice fragrance I was kind of iffy at first because I wasn't actually wearing it I kept sampling on my arm but I wore this the other night and wow it is fruity but not a cheap teenage type fruity it is more mellow fruity and more adult like it lasts and I kept catching whiffs and I like when a fragrance does that.I am using the little pouch it came in for my lipglosses and I like the bottle even though I went to pick it up by the lid and it fell on my brand new bottle of Halle Berry and broke it I think the gold on the bottom of JV did it but oh well I'd rather my Halle break than my John!

Gojira
Gojira

I bought this for my Wife. She loves it,as do I. This is for the woman who loves classy sophisticated scents. For me its a very sexy scent, alluring and provocative!

guest_john123
guest_john123

This perfume is absolutely BEAUTIFUL,
feminine, perfect,perfect, perfect..

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

I bought this today untested at T.J. Maxx because it was an excellent price, and I'm so very glad I did. I love everything about this perfume; it's as if it was specifically designed to make me press my wrist to my nose, over and over again, all day long. Mmmm.

The plum and apricot in the top notes are mouth-wateringly good, and the rose in the middle notes is fresh and cheerful. Best of all, every single one of the bottom notes are among my favorites. The honey and vanilla are warm- a nice compliment to the plum and apricot start, and the patchouli (my favorite), makes the dry down positively divine. I'm delighted with this new addition to my perfume collection.

soulflwr
soulflwr

I found it at TJ Maxx for $20, and since I know it still sells at Nordstrom for more than double that price..I decided to go ahead and buy it unsiffed. I like it! To me it smells like a mix between Juicy Couture(top and middle) and Coco Mademoiselle(Middle and base). I don't think I would have bought it at full price, but it is not bad a purchase for $20

vincy_gal

I picked up a bottle for 19 bucks at my local drugstore and I think it was a good buy. I wear it for work and it's not overly sweet or overpowering...just a classic crisp scent.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I love this one!! The plum and appricot swirl at the top is divine, soft and not too sweet. The lily, rose and jasmine make for a smooth transition to the oakmoss which rounds out the honey and tonka bottom to perfection.
It reminds me of Mont Blanc Individuelle without the medicinal/camphor sage drift, which ruins that scent for me.
I don't think this is weak but understated and demure. I'm putting it at the top of my wish list!

Update: I found a bottle at an outlet store and snapped it up right away. Every time I wear it someone tells me how wonderful I smell. I'm a little sad that others think it lacks direction. I find it to be an inexpensive lovely gem of a scent.

Update to my update: I stand corrected...the camphor/medicinal smell has come to the fore with age...now it's pretty much all I can smell. It's like wearing fruity Vapor Rub!

eJAZZY
eJAZZY

This perfume is soft, yet subtle. So flirtatious with its woodsy undertones, projecting the sternness of the refined woman. It upholds the ambiance of this "floriental flare."

For the adventerous woman, spontaneously destined... but one who also knows herself.

c3c
c3c

This makes me think of Juicy Couture without the pepper. Either way it's relatively tame, maybe a soft, thin, long and flowing rose colored dress. At first spray I was interested but it was not to last. I smell a hint of apricot, but more a blend of jasmine and rose. The honey shows up a bit in the dry down adding the hint of sweetness that I prefer. If your a fan of Juicy Couture you may enjoy it.

weegee
weegee

Chypre floral? What? Where? Here? I don't think so.
For an edp that's supposedly a heavy 50% concentration this pink colored bit of fluff is as weak as dishwater and about as exciting to my nose. The floral aspect is a grocery store flower display right next to the fruit department: every fruit imagineable with all kinds of blooms all mixed up with that slightly "off" scent of the glass-doored refrigerator that holds the arrangements meant to be given to people in hospital.

The bottle comes in a lush peachy/coral crushed velvet drawstring bag and that's the nicest part of this fragrance. I'm astounded that so many others have raved about this fragrance and touted its lovely watery aspect, because my nose finds nothing of the kind. Sample on your skin before purchasing & don't be seduced by that velvet bag.

sky76sky
sky76sky

Plums & apricots dripping in honey, a touch of rosy florals.... & lake water?

I know, I know...that doesn't sound like it should work, but it does, beautifully. I don't like fruity florals on the whole, I dislike Tresor (headache, far too powerful) & I'm very picky about any chypres - but I like JV.

It's warm & fruity without being tacky, it's very sweet without being sickly, & it has this "outdoors-wet-moss-&-still-water" note that keeps it contemporary & classy. I think it is the mix in the base of patchouli & oakmoss that gives it this edge & stop it from falling into the cute, fruity-floral catagory.

JV is definitely a grown up scent with a timeless quality. Feminine & flirty - summer in a bottle.

EternalSunshine7

I have to disagree with Glitteralex. "This symphonic rose floral with a powder base will appeal to fans of Tresor and Beautiful." I am definitely NOT a fan of either of these. In fact, I passionately dislike BOTH of them....but I LOVE JV. In my opinion, it's more than just "bareable"--it's enjoyable. I have to admit that on SOME days, it smells sweeter (even too sweet)....and on others, it's got a dry moss scent that creates a sexy feel to it. Don't really know how to explain it. I just wanted to say that you don't have to like Tresor or Beautiful to like JV. It's in a league of its own... (IMHO) ;-P

ktv0926
ktv0926

John Varvatos is nice and elegant, I would call it well-behaved fragrance. The notes are smooth and graceful.

I'm really curious to compare it to Coco Mademoiselle, as it was mentioned here the scent is alike.

Update: After a couple of hours it started to bother me. Not sure why though. But as the fragrance faded all the way to the base notes - I liked it again.

EternalSunshine7

My bottle of John Varvatos FINALLY arrived today! Imagine my excitement as I tore through the box and "tried" to carefully unwrap the bottle from the sea of bubble wrap. Ahhh...succulent and sensual. Is it just me, or do I smell more florals this time around? When I first tried it (and with the samples) I smelled a slight hint of berries and definitely the sweet plum...but it's only faintly there this time. The fruits seem timid...but the flowers & oakmoss are far from that. They seem to be taking the spotlight today. This fragrance is still beautiful to me...but I do hope my loving plum, apricot, and orange decide to submerge from wherever they are hiding. Today would have been a good day for them to make their presence known. Don't worry JV...I still find you utterly intoxicating! =)

UPDATE:
I learned that when spritzed on dry skin in the morning, the mossy note creates an almost dry-your-throat kind of aroma that is still nice.....BUT....when this fragrance is mixed with my sweat (I know, gross right), I most definitely recognize the sweet plum and sensual beauty that I loved about this fragrance to begin with. I guess it just needed some body chemistry to recognize me. =P It's still in my top 3!

luz
luz

This is a very unique fragrance. Fells close to the skin, it is an intimic smell, silky and sensual.

EternalSunshine7

My sample of John Varvatos came in and I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this! I think this could become one of my signature scents. I say "one" because there are two other scents that are completely different from each other...but I just can't seem to decide which scent is more me. I'm willing to bet, however, that my husband will probably like this one the best.

It starts off fruity...but not juicy or fresh like those apple or citrus fragrances. This is a crisp sweet fruit that doesn't necessarily make my mouth water...but it definitely makes me want to say "Ooohs and ahhhs". It's not a sickeningly sweet fragrance, which is perfect because those frangrances tend to get sweeter on me. This is just right. The fruits don't overwhelm (unlike the strawberries in Miss Dior Cherie. Don't get me wrong. I like Miss Dior Cherie....but only when I want to smell like a big juicy strawberry with a light caramel drizzle). The fruits, IMO, hold the fragrance together. They make it well-rounded and give it that full-bodied yumminess that GOOD wines are known for. The florals work TOWARDS the good of this perfume. What I mean is that they, also, don't overpower you. Usually, I can't wear fragrances with jasmine....but if I didn't know what the notes were, I wouldn't have realized that there was jasmine in here. And that's how I like it. I like my florals to blend together nicely...not stand out individually. (But that's just me!) After the rich fruity opening, I get a wonderful floral scent that becomes powdery (but not dusty) and beautiful. The fruits remain ever so quietly in the background--keeping the florals from becoming too potent. And the base notes....well, what can I say? The notes combined create a lucious, romantic, and sensual fragrance with just enough fleshy fruit & delectable sweetness to make you crave more.

ehaney
ehaney

I just got this as a gift, after holding out for months for my 4th bottle of Coco Mademoiselle. I am pleased with the choice - such a personal preferrence, the buyer couldn't have done better. The closest thing to Coco Mademoiselle that I have smelled. It does have more fruit up front initially than Coco, but fades nicely into something warm. The jasmine remains constant through. My only disappointment is that it seems to be really strong at first, and fades a little fast.

snobuni77

I just realized what this smells an awful lot like. CoCo Mademoiselle by Chanel.
They are almost identical.One of my co workers wears CoCo & when I gave her a sample of this to try she totally agreed that they a VERY alike

snobuni77

I love this! I generally don't like to many fragrances with "chypre" but this is gorgeous.
I think Aeternitas described this pretty well.
It is different then most of the perfumes I have sampled lately.It is very light & airy yet not non existing.

The Spray of fruits & chypre that comes out with the initial application is highlighted & held up perfectly with the florals lily & Jasmine.
As it dries down the honey & oakmoss show through.

It really is a pretty & classy scent.
I think it would be a great fragrance to wear to a wedding

jonr951
jonr951

john varvatos for women has to be one of the best womens fragrance launches in a long time. the apricot, plum, and mandarin in the top notes are incredible. its sweetness isnt at all the experience one would get from the 100s of teenage fruity floral fragrances. john varvatos is much more then that. it transitions to a beautiful floral with the lily, mango blossom, jasmine and rose. of all the florals, the rose stands out the most. my favorite are the bottom notes. especially the tonka bean and the honey. they give the fragrance a great last impression. its like a delicious fruit tart. sure to be a classic! i just love and adore it!

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

This perfume has an interesting personality. Modern, gentle, and playful. I'm in love. :) It's a very different take on florals. Sweet, but not too sweet, gentle, and flowery with an initial spray of fruits. It's a beautiful fragrance that is perfect for spring/summer weather. I wouldn't say it's extremely special, but it's definitely pretty and unique. At first it surprises you, because you think it would be very floral (or so I thought), but it starts out being heavily fruity, and changes quickly to flowers, and then takes a sudden turn into being a sweet floral-woodsy scent. I think every woman should try this if you are considering a new summer fragrance!

John Varvatos by John Varvatos 3.76 out of 5 based on 540 ratings and 150 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about John Varvatos John Varvatos fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about John Varvatos John Varvatos, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify John Varvatos by John Varvatos. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of John Varvatos by John Varvatos represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.