Designers » I-K » Woody Chypre « Groups

Vintage John Varvatos for men
dislike

I have it: 666 I had it: 158 I want it: 458 My signature: 16

tobacco

Vintage by John Varvatos is a Woody Chypre fragrance for men. Vintage was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Top notes are wormwood, basil, rhubarb, quince, fennel and pepper; middle notes are juniper berries, lavender, cinnamon, jasmine, orris root and green leaves; base notes are tonka bean, tobacco, suede, patchouli, oakmoss, balsam fir and woody notes.

Wormwood Basil Rhubarb Quince Fennel Pepper

Juniper Berries Lavender Cinnamon Jasmine Orris Root Green Leaves

Tonka Bean Tobacco Suede Patchouli Oakmoss Balsam Fir Woody Notes

Vintage Fragrance Reviews

Santos89
Santos89

I think that this is the gem of the Varvatos line, and a criminally underrated scent.

It's a fairly straightforward sweet, woodsy tobacco scent.

There isn't much development to my nose, and it's basically all about tobacco, suede, fir and rhubarb.

All the other notes compliment these main notes, but never take centerstage. Overall it's quite a balanced composition. It's very linear, but in the best of ways.

The killer for this one, is the one that also kills Varvatos Original - the longevity. I get 4-5 hours out of it, and that is bit too little for me. However as it's such a nice scent, I just refresh during the day.

Rating: 9/10.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

Please PM if interested on swapping this juice. I just can't get into it. The bottle is full, NEVER used.
Smell great my friends.

Salvation5ive
Salvation5ive

تنها چیزی ک من استشمام میکنم ترشی هست متاسفانه،

California 00
California 00

4.5/5

I love this one. Its a musky man cologne of sure. Great for winters. haven't found anyone who's doesnt favor it or has told me they don't like the smell. I purchased mine at Macy's years ago and the rep behind the counter actually wasn't aware of this one but once I wore it she seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. She kept saying "Wow, I've never heard of this one, its really really nice." Before I left she asked to smell it on me one more time lol. She shook her head and kept repeating "Mmm. That is really nice. Wow". It would make a great gift for a father. I'm in my early 30s but my GF definitely likes it.

I wear it 90% of the time in the winter. The leather warm musky scent is geared perfectly toward the colder season. Might come off Musty in the warmer climates.

A personal favorite of mine.

Romulo Xavier Ladislau
Romulo Xavier Ladislau

Nothing special,nothing well constructed, smells like a cheap but good Old Spice body deodorant or Axé, a generic smell for these products.
Was gift and I would never spend a penny on it maybe U$ 15,00 for 100ml

mkhu
mkhu

warm leathery scent perfect for a nice cold evening will give it a 9/10 very classic and well made ....

alxkwst1996
alxkwst1996

Rugged, masculine, sensual, and dark is how I would describe this fragrance. The main notes that I am able to pick up with this one are the rhubarb, suede, tobacco, and cinnamon notes on my skin. This is my absolute favorite from the John Varvatos house. I am able to get average projection and longevity, which is okay with me, considering how good this scent is. An absolute thumbs up from me.

My Rating: 9.5 out of 10

C@nn@r
C@nn@r

How haven't I reviewed this yet?!?! This is a wonderful masculine scent fashioned around an old school powerhouse with tons of manly notes crammed into one elegant bottle wrapped in leather. It's already a no brainer! I get a nice spicy opening, already a relief from the typical citruses. This has spice from pepper and sweet tartness from quince and rhubarb. The mid gets earthier with orris root, lavender and juniper which starts to resemble colognes like Drakkar Noir. Already the overtly manly vibe is carrying through. Lastly the base wraps up the cologne with fresh pipe tobacco, fir, rich suede, oakmoss, and a hint of sweetness from tonka!! I really need to pick this up at the bargain prices it can be found for!
I would describe this as woodsy, spicy, and mysterious. It gives off a sense of sophisticated mature masculinity. There is no aquatic, citrusy, fresh summery vibe to this. It is pure man in a bottle. Worth a smell...and a purchase.
Yes, the performance is not the greatest. I would give it moderate longevity at about 4-6 hours. The projection is great for the first hour but quickly dies down to soft projection with a whiff of sillage. This is great though because it can be worn in almost any season (Maybe not for summer though).
Smell: 9/10
Projection: 5.5/10
Versatility: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

bmcd921
bmcd921

Like other John Varvatos fragrances, this one doesn't last all that long. HOWEVER, I love all JV fragrances so much that the longevity issue doesn't bother me one bit. All of his fragrances are so unique, this one especially. What I love most about this fragrance, is that since it's not a huge powerhouse type scent, you can wear it all year long, and it's never overpowering. To me, this fragrance is a great buy and you should definitely check it out! Amazing quality and creativity from a designer fragrance.

Mrcutlass72
Mrcutlass72

I really love this cologne I would tell anybody that if they love a woodsy ,manily, tobacco,leather smell then this is for you .The longevity for this cologne on me last a long time and the dry down is awesome .i would rate this cologne 9/10 it one of my favorites

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

This frag is definitely best to wear during the winter months. ..you can pick up the aroma of tobacco, fur, tonka bean and cinnamon. When I first spray it on my skin, all those notes altogether smell nice and remind me of Christmas. I'm not putting down the fragrance, it just strongly reminds me of Christmas so much. After the juice settles I'm not able to smell the cinnamon notes but more of the leather/woodsy notes which kinda of reminds me more of Polo Crest a really well made fragrance.
Longevity and Silage is excellent lasting well past 8hrs
Finally ,
I do enjoy this fragrance but don't like the Christmas (cinnamon) notes. If it smelt more of tobacco or woodsy notes from the start, I would of bought a bottle. A well made fragrance but not for my body chemistry unfortunately :((( 6/10

stolen nickles
stolen nickles

I happened upon a bottle of Vintage while browsing the local fragrance counters in my area for additions to my collection... I had recalled John Varvatos scents to be rather inoffensive and unremarkable in the past, but after reading a few favorable reviews of this one online, I decided to test it on my skin rather than blind-buy. To cut to the point: This is my first review on fragrantica, and solely a result of the disgust with what i smelled almost immediately after pressing the trigger on the bottle. I was so negatively effected by the smell, I created an account to share my experience; after racing home to scrub it off my arm, of course. Some have mentioned a chemical or industrial smell, and I got that, but with an almost rancid and “animalic" quality that caused me to wince upon bringing my arm close to my nose. I'm not sure if the bottle on display had spoiled, it was an adverse reaction to the chemistry of my skin, or what the case was, but be sure to test it in person before buying.

bronstein
bronstein

Why is this one called "Vintage"? There is no reminiscence to old ages at all to be found. Rather, it represents a typical spicey male scent of the 2000s.

For what it is, it is quite good. Although it's not labelled, there's much nutmeg in here. If you like spicey fragrences, this one is well worth a try.

Tassio12
Tassio12

This is a pleasant spicy tobacco scent. Definitely tobacco and pine/balsam as the dominant notes, but it is pleasantly complex. I enjoy smelling it. Like most in the John Varvatos house, it doesn't perform real well. Sillage is arm's length which is appropriate for this sort of fragrance. But longevity is a problem. After two hours it is a skin scent. This reminds me of Burberry London from a pure smell perspective and also unfortunately from a performance perspective. To me though, it has a "drier" vibe than London, and lacks a certain magic that London has for me. London definitely has a boozy vibe that is absent in Vintage John Varvatos. This might be an important differentiator for some. Great scent though, perfect for the office in the fall and winter.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

This is an extremely nice and wearable cologne that is unmistakably masculine. It is a crowd pleaser but not in a safe/generic way, it is still quite unique and 'edgy', but whether you are at work or out for an evening dinner/drinks, this will be a winner, especially with the female audience. Perfect for 30+, clean cut and well-groomed men. Seductive, sensual and manly. Almost has a barbershop edge to it, due to a clove note, reminiscent of the old Bay Rum aftershaves in the high-end barbershops; it has that clean-cut 'astringency'. Like a freshly shaved gent in a casino sipping his cognac by the tables...

Rhubarb blends with clove to create an effect that is almost herbal. There is a boozy/tobacco note that is hard to describe, but to me it is like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes where you get the fresh unsmoked tobacco, paper and a slight metallic zing from the filter and foil; combined with a note of dry white wine. Sounds weird but all together, this makes for a rather intoxicating, sexy and addictive scent. And for the right kind of man, this could be a killer signature scent.

To enjoy the full potential of the scent I apply 2-3 times as much as most other scents, including a few sprays to my shirt. Then I get 5-6 hrs of good performance and after that it lingers on my shirt till around the 12 hr mark, so people who get close to me will still notice it. Good performance for me, but due to the 'over spray' factor it is not so cost effective and you will go through the juice much more quickly. This doesn't bother me though because it just smells so bloody good. You can also buy the 125 ml bottles for this reason, but that brings me onto another curious point.

There seems to be 2 different formulations on sale. I looked at the ingredient lists on the 75ml and 125ml bottles at a department store the other day and they each had different ingredients listed. Notably, all the 75ml bottles had coumarin and the 125ml bottles did not. I have yet to do a side by side comparison but perhaps the latter bottles are weaker. I'm pretty sure I have the blend with coumarin and it's fairly strong and if applied generously I can really enjoy the full rich aroma of JV Vintage through a good part of the day. Gorgeous juice! 5*.

AZJeff
AZJeff

This is another fragrance that I wanted to sample because of what I read about in the notes it contains. It's highly complex because of the different types of notes that are in it. It's a combination of being sweet,aromatic, slightly fruity(from Quince, which is pineapple-like in scent),and just a little spicy. I don't think this one is for me right now but I recommend to at least try a sample first. Who knows, this may surpass "Aventus" by Creed, in popularity as it's sweet and has a Pineapple-like scent in it without the smokiness that "Aventus" has. :)

panamamaverick
panamamaverick

smells nice, but not for late 20s. probably might consider it when im 40+!

gabri
gabri

This definetely smells like a " MAN " .Very nice , I bought it for my son , I hope he likes it :o)

EauDeBaldy
EauDeBaldy

Been wearing this for the past month Nov-Dec and my personal take won't be that different from others in the sense that:

It's a simple but a mature fragrance. Masculine and deep ( nice for the colder times ) but nothing extraordinary.

The younger crowd can "maybe" wear this but this is definitely something I see for the older crowd.

Is it worth picking up? Sure, but not something to run for.

FORCED_TO_REGISTER
FORCED_TO_REGISTER

This is the kind of fragrance a man can wear in office..and in bar!

I think that says it all! ;)

Lovely.

MilaneZ
MilaneZ

This is a very mature fragrance. I`ve had it for more than a year now. What I get mostly out of this fragrance is a petrolium note, kind of similar that is in Fahrenheit by Dior. I imagine wearing this fragrance by someone whos in his middle 40`s or 50`s sitting in a casino full of smoke, playing cards, drinking whiskey and smoking an expensive cigar.
In my opinion it`s not very versitale, but the smell is very refined, tobacco with that petrolium note is blended sensitively and precisely.
Also I recommend it as a date scent.
If longetivity on my skin was better, I would give it easy 9 out of 10. But I get mostly 4 hours.
My final rating 7,5 out of 10.

John Mason
John Mason

This is more for casual wear as it possesses hints of freshness. I noticed it calms down fairly quickly to a well blended mix of tobacco, suede accords and balsams.
Unoffensive and pleasant, for a less formal second/third date, or a dinner with family and friends.
Masculine and simple, in a good way.
From all the John Varvatos latest creations, this one is the best one for me.
Soft sillage and 5 hours longevity.

ososigma16
ososigma16

This is a well mixed Tobacco and Suede, in my opinion is fine for cooler days when you are hanging out with friends, casual and sophisticated.

lemale83
lemale83

This is a modern classic, John Varvatos Vintage definitely has a modern smell but with the touch of vintage/classic smell. Quite unique smell, very masculine, I love this. Projection is pretty good, but doesn't last very long, maximum around 4 to 5 hours.

Scent: 8 / 10
Longevity: 6 / 10
Projection:8 / 10

Bunino
Bunino

Turin claims that this is a chemical nightmare. I beg to differ. While I love New York, LADDM, Yatagan, Knize Ten and all other types of deliciously snobbish scents, it's nice to find a department frag that's classy and deep. Just because it's highly accessible doesn't mean it lacks character or class. I enjoy it along with Baldessarini when I need a safe scent.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Really nice scent, very warm and leathery, similar to CK One Shock I guess, sadly though the staying power of this was about 2 hours, very very disappointing, as it is a classy sophisticated fragrance. Maybe would have lasted longer on clothes. Gorgeous warm fragrance, shocking longevity.

Oposai
Oposai

Too linear, not very special. I would of loved more out of this, but oh well. 5.5/10.

streetmachine
streetmachine

Much more sophisticated than Ck Shock. If u are very paticular... Dont settle for Ck. Its woody/cherry/leather. You need multiple sprays, and its not one of a kind -out of this world. Still a keeper.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Two years after the success of the classic version, which was the first creation of the House (in 2004), Varvatos Vintage was released, as a cologne made to please fans of the classics without losing, however, modernity.

The bottle keeps the same pattern of its predecessor, but in tones that I'll call of sepia, something between the Brown and the gold.

It is an aromatic-chypre, with output notes of silver absinth, lavender, santolina (also known as lavender cotton, or limonete), cinnamon leaves, pepper and Juniper. The heart of the fragrance has notes of patchouli, Jasmine from Egypt and balsam fir, while the base brings notes of oak Moss, suede, tobacco from Turkey, tonka bean and Woods. Some say it has quince notes in the composition also, but it's nothing official.

When touching on the skin, the fragrance is fruity and citrusy, slightly sweet and with spicy nuances. But that runs out faster when the body of the fragrance is present (and is the most enduring part of the evolution), resulting in a more herbal aroma, remembering roots and green plants, with the Absinthe more present and a lot of FIR content. During this evolutionary part, it is easier to understand the dated aspect and why the name’s choice. Then, after 1 hour, approximately, the base begins to give the air of its grace and a creamy Suede, combined with wood and macerated tobacco arises, finalizing the work.
As in Varvatos Classic, the projection is not the highlight, but the lasting is excellent!

In my opinion, Vintage was made for who is not stuck on the age, but to the pattern of elegance of the older fragrances.

mista majestic
mista majestic

On the initial spray, to me, it's very much like a less confused version of Hugo, Hugo Boss. Fresh, spicey and punchy. It dries down to a great strong barber shop scent with well balanced notes of wood, juniper and others from its massive composition list.

It's the longevity that surprised me with this one. I give a good few sprays on my neck and arms before going to work at 8:30. I'm out all day and in all conditions and it just powers on through getting lots of compliments throughout. I'll smell it on my skin at 10pm as well as if it were put on a couple of hours earlier.

Great scent. Good value.

I have CK Shock and this is nothing like it!...

majecatracho
majecatracho

Love the scent but it doesnt last for more than half an hour on my skin, if it lasted at least four hours this would be my signature scent.

Jedimonk
Jedimonk

I've been seeing that folks say that this is weak .
But it last all day on me and not just as a skin scent ether
This is some bomb ass shit . It has a mature vibe in a good way
And to me it reminds me of tobacco vanille just not as strong and without all the spice
That tv has .

jyan727
jyan727

Vintage has become one of my all time favorite fragrances. Why, you ask? Because when I smell this I automatically think of a mans man! This fragrance exudes manliness to such an extent that it becomes off putting to some. And I love this.

I'm a big sucker for tobacco fragrances and this one doesn't let down. But instead of being a sweet tobacco like a few others I have smelled and are in my wardrobe tend to be, this is simply warm and strong.

Sadly, I do not mean strong in projection and longevity. Instead it is just a figurative strong, a strength from the impression Vintage gives. The longevity on my skin is 4-5 hours with a moderate projection of arms length for 1-2 hours, after which it becomes a humble skin sent.

I'd be careful of blind buying this fragrance as I did. For some it can simply be to much "man". You can't simply wear Vintage all willy nilly. You have to exude stature and strength as this fragrance does. If you walk and talk with confidence and power then this fragrance will be a good pairing for you, but if you decide to lack a back bone for the day then Vintage will run you over. I recommend this for men 30 and over, though it would be perfectly fine for those that are 25, you simply have to wear it properly. I am personally 19 at 5'6" with a small athletic frame, but I walk(and act) with confidence and dignity so I feel at home with this fragrance. Confidence and strength are key.

Considering the short comings of this fragrance but also its presence, I give Vintage a humble 8.5/10.

Try before you buy

kamooo
kamooo

Not bad but nothing more.
EDIT 1/2015: beautiful

JohnMc
JohnMc

Tried it today at Debenhams store in the UK.

This is quite a powerful, uncompromising scent. Heavy accents on the woods and tobacco is what my nose picked up the most.

Is it multi-dimensional? No. This isn't a nightclubbing scent and isn't suitable for warm climes and hot seasons, however, it is fantastic for cold climes and winter. It has a bold quality which screams manliness akin to say CK Obsession for Men. Thus, it has an almost old-school quality about it without being too 'stuffy' for today's male. Agree with other reviewers here - team with anything which clothing-wise signals 'power' for you. Good projection without a doubt, but average longevity (3-5 hours max with 3 sprays). Definitely one for my 'want' section of my humble collection. Classic flacon design also.

bwcw81
bwcw81

spicy and strong woody scent ends with tobacco scent. Longevity is average, projection is okay. The tobacco scent is really strong and makes you smell like a real smoker, I am not sure if most people would like this idea.

lovetribe
lovetribe

absinthe,basil,cinnamon,fennel and much fir!!!!!!start very green,as to be in a wood.after oakmoss,pathouly and suede!!!!!sweet.
good and strange ingredient make a edt for the mountain!!!many balsamic scent.i don't like this but understand the big quality of the ingredient and the perfume.
good sillage and longevity.
vote 5.
disgusting me.

SDavis93
SDavis93

This is a very very nice fragrance. yes there are problems with longevity and projection. but the smell makes up for it.

It starts sweet and spicy its very warm and inviting, reminds me off spiced apple, you get this for about 2-3 hours at which point it starts to dry down. the sweetness fades making it more masculine, the wood and tobacco notes comes up and mixes with the spice, giving it a very warm and comforting masculine scent. this lasts for another 1-2 hours. then it fades becoming a dark, musky skin scent, it sits on the skin like this for some time.Projection is good but longevity lasts 5-6 hours max, but does stay on the skin for some time after so over all 8.5/10.

Great for winter and cold weather, wouldn't wear this in the summer its to 'wintery' and may get cloying. very nice though

MyFairLady
MyFairLady

This smells like a man you want a hug from. Very masculine (spicy, woody) and sexy, yet warm (cinnamon, with a little sugar?). You just dive in its (his) arms. Love it!

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

Upon first spray I could not smell anything but an oily smell; yuck. Unfortunately, I could not pick up any of the spice, sweetness, and wood from this which is a shame. I'm going to have to stay clear of this one for a long time.

Fragrantguy
Fragrantguy

While sniffing some fragrances at Sephora, a young lady introduced me to this fragrance. I was afraid to try it, thinking it would be a strong, over masculine scent. After sampling it, I fell in love! Yes, it is strong and masculine, but not over the top masculine. This is a very tobacco woody fragrance that dries down to an aromatic tobacco. It's not as sweet as Calvin Klein's One Shock, but the tobacco is reminiscent to it. This is what I would wear if I was feeling "manly" for the day or wearing some black clothing (sophisticated fashion of course) It is god for fall and possibly winter, because it is a warm fragrance until the aromatic comes in. Then it's the tobacco that keeps it alive. But still, this is my go-to leather jacket wearing renegade scent.

Nick M
Nick M

You can see this one has quite a few notes, but after letting it settle for a few seconds I came away with a sweet Christmas tree vibe. It's an excellent wildcard to be used on certain occasions.

Layzie
Layzie

Vintage has a masculine opening with pepper, leather, cinnamon, and a bit of citrus. It feels earthy and herbaceous. Soon, a bit of tobacco comes in to give the melange an austerity. This perfume has no qualms about its masculinity; it evens reminds me of a rugged cowboy. As it develops, Vintage remains a spicy, earthy, and dark fragrance. After a few hours, it fades to a suede vibe.

This John Varvatos composition was a bit much for me, but the sales associates at Macy's couldn't get enough!

GUTB
GUTB

One of my first forays into the world of fragrances. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this fragrance -- I found that it's sweet note mixed well with my natural body scent.

But that was then, and this is now.

Now...I honestly hate the harsh medicinal/chemical accents that explode at the top, and even as it fades during drydown. Perhaps my nose is just becoming more refined; perhaps I am just spoiled after having sampled so many expensive niche parfums that starkly expose the difference between true quality and mass-produced designer fragrances. Even compared to premium mass-produced fragrances there is hardly any comparison. I am forced to admit that one of my old favorites is actually just another cheap, chemical-smelling foul mass-produced juice that belongs in the drugstore.

I write this review as I am currently wearing Varvatos Vintage, and I just can't get over the chemical smell which almost burns my nose. Besides the chemical edge, the composition is simply...boring. Hardly complex, in spite of the number of notes in the pyramid. I can't help but think: I could be smelling Bond No. 9, Creed, Guerlain, Penhaligons, Amouage, etc.

Longevity and projection are problems but I won't knock it that much as most of my sample collection have longevity problems. It lasts about twice as long as my Creed fragrances, for example -- 3-4 hours.

crypticat
crypticat

Not unpleasant, but the tobacco, 'gentleman' odor seems dated by quite a few decades. For what it is, though, it seems well done.

dbrii24
dbrii24

Sexy, Refined, Masculine and Distinguished. My dream man wears this.... enough said. A++++!

lgbailey86
lgbailey86

The clear jewel of the Varvatos line. Moderate to poor longevity but the scent is warm, cinnamon, tobacco, vanilla, leather... Christmas, Thanksgiving and cold weather dates. Mature and masculine.
Would happily pay double for an edp of this.... the smell is perfect...

stayclose
stayclose

Is this what it would smell like if I had JV and liked and went ahead to to look for a vintage version and bought it and sprayed on myself? Wow very clever. To me this could also have called JV Extreme since from what I can smell the fruit, spices, and leather have been turned up X10.

dq_firefly
dq_firefly

Its smell is too dry, like a burning cigarette. Not my cup of tea. I would choose Aramis Havana if I want a tobacco scent.

Edited: I gave it another try, and realised that it would definitely be better when used in cooler weather. Not bad!!

kahoonabear
kahoonabear

This is a handsome, complex, rich, and overall outstanding woodsy/earthy/spicy fragrance! Very very impressed, easily makes my top 3. Wow!! Just gorgeous!! So glad to have added this to my collection. Perfect. Could easily be a signature scent. 10/10

happygeisha
happygeisha

i bought this for myself... er uhm, i mean my dude. usually he's rather insufferable to cohabitate with but once he sprays this blessed scent on, i don't even care anymore about what a douche he can be. it is HANDS DOWN the sexiest, most masculine scent for men out there. period. end of discussion. act like ya heard and go treat yo'self!

fuggerone
fuggerone

great tobacco scent, nice also in hot weather but you have to happytrigger it since like all Varvatos lacks longevity and has modest sillage, you have to over apply it! could have been a great masterpiece!

larrybuf
larrybuf

Nice opening but fizzles quickly on my skin. Real silage and longevity problems.I wouldn't buy this for my collection.

kazewayz
kazewayz

It smells delicious. Very well blended perfume. This has citrus, woods, spices, sweets. I really like this one. Great for a summer night or fall time. Elegant, classy, sexy, sophisticated. My favorite from Varvatos. Try it.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

I absolutely love this fragrance. It smells of tobbacco and is very masculine and sexy. A compliment getter every time I wear it. It lasts a very long time on me.

Caist
Caist

The expression of Autumn, with the tingle that clove has, and very defined spice notes that dry-down in formation. Tobacco is definitely the meastro in this classic. I wish it lasted a bit longer on me though, a good one to top off your layering with a spray in the collar of a jacket or a scarf on a cooler/colder day. Too typical to wear in the evening, don't be a bore!

I think I like Vintage just that little bit more than John Varvatos for Men. Tobacco and lavender, when blended harmoniously with one another, can potentially make me swoon. I love the sexy and spicy feel of Vintage.

It's quite a daring and complex blend. Sometimes it smells spicy, other times it smells earthy, and then there are moments when it strikes me as being quite sweet.

It opens with a rich, heady blend of pepper, lavender, cinnamon, basil and rhubarb. Vintage has some crazy-cool top notes, preparing us for what will eventually follow. Throughout the scent development, Vintage deepens into an earthy and woodsy blend of suede, raw tobacco, balsam fir and patchouli.

Vintage is a super masculine fragrance. I might be wrong, but I feel as if this scent is intentionally geared towards mature men. I don't mean grandfathers, I mean the modern day, sophisticated man, with a good job and a level head. The entire masculine range from John Varvatos smells really classy to my nose.

The only thing I didn't like about Vintage, was the drydown's tendency to become a little stale and musty. It's only at the end of the day that it begins to smell like this, so I suppose all it calls for is a shower and a re-application to enjoy the top and heart notes all over again.

Smyle12
Smyle12

Not bad at all if you like tobacco as the prominent note in your fragrances. Longevity and projection are average on this scent. Vintage has a very distinguished, extremly formal, classy feel, and is definitely something I'd HIGHLY recommend for those over 50 or 60 years of age, who are headed for a formal night out, or spending a romantic date with a lover. I'm not a big fan of tobacco-based fragrances. I do own one, however, and that is Michael Kors For Men, which in my personal opinion smells very much like this, only better due to the plum and dried fruit in that fragrance, which really rachet up its dark and mysterious masculinity. John Varatos Vintage, however, holds the slight edge in "classiness", and in overall quality however. If tobacco fragrances are your modus operandi, than either one of the aforementioned two will more than satisfy your cravings. Personally, I feel this one is a little too serious and much too distinguished for my young and generally happy heart.

I'm going to give this one an (8/10) for both its quality and its very age specific feel. Perhaps I'll revisit it again in another 20 years or so. :)

amir68

Now I`ve tested this amazing frag and gotta write some words about it. This frag is so masculine, attractive, mature and very High Quality scent. Personally I believe It`s hard to match with any other frags out there! Longevity 8 hours on my skin. I guess the longevity its individual!! I love this scent and definitely vill be one of my favorite fall/winter frags.

kleblanc863
kleblanc863

This is some sexy stuff right here!!

Spray a few on the chest on skin, get dressed, apply a few more wherever you want. By the time the night is over and you get home for some (explicit content) with your partner, she/he/it/they will be driven crazy by this stuff.

amir68

I`ve got Varvatos Artisan. I like the scent and it was worth every swedish krons I put on it. I`ve heard lots of positiv reviews on Vintage and I`m gonna buy it this week.

There is no nicotine, no bitterness in this tobacco. Like Spicebomb it reminds me of a White Owl Cigarillo.
Other than that I smell sweet, resinous pine sap and fennel.

Steven409
Steven409

I love this scent...even more so than the original. Despite what the stats show above, I think of this as a summer / hot and humid weather fragrance (and I live in Texas). In my opinion, it is WAY too sweet for cold weather. Perhaps it's just the way it reacts to my natural chemistry, but being that I work primarily outdoors even during the summer, this fragrance becomes even more brilliant the hotter it is. I've tried wearing it in the winter and it just doesn't have the same effect...the longevity isn't near as long as it is while wearing it on a hot/humid day.

jamdavmiller
jamdavmiller

This is a wonderful smelling fragrance, but the longevity is poor. If you like this, as I do, you might compare it with Ralph Lauren's Romance Silver, which actually smells a bit better and has much better longevity.

Cmf
Cmf

Smell 8/10 Longevity 5/10 Sillage 6/10

This is a great scent for a date. It certainly fits the casual suit wearer. It is definitely unique and fits a cool fall evening, however it may not last you until the night. Nonetheless, this scent demands a try. A classic and modern masculine cologne.

dollastx
dollastx

Just blind bought this, and it smells great. I don't know why people keep talking about the poor longevity. On my skin it lasts at least 6-10 hrs. Very masculine smell. I don't think this will be good for a teenager. I give it a 9/10...

presbo
presbo

Opening: everything masculine and wonderful. a little sweet (kind of like medjool dates), a lot of tobacco, plus some herb and spice. this is possibly my favorite array of top notes

drydown: Still very heavy on the tobacco, some leather shows up as well.Unfortunately, after the first hour or so, it starts to get a little weird. It almost smells medicinal, synthetic, or maybe even like shoe polish. I can't really describe it accurately.

I really want to love it. The opening is so incredibly wonderful, but the lack of longevity and the poor transition after the drydown make me want to skip using it for any endeavor that might last me more than 2 hours.

This definitely favors evening wear in the fall or winter.

montox
montox

Great scent but only lasts 1 hour! It's a pity!

classicburns
classicburns

To my untrained, amateur nose this smells mainly of sweet tobacco. It makes for a very unique, sexy, and rugged scent. It would be absolutely perfect if only it lasted longer. I could definitely see Indiana Jones wearing this.

Bottlehands
Bottlehands

Tried Vintage on today and when looking at John Varvatos Artisian and after five hours it is still projecting. It's humid and hot in Sydney at the moment and I think that this scent really adapts well to to the humidity - it's sweet with a wonderful leather undertone. It will be interesting to see how this will go in the cold winter months - to me I can see this as a more of a evening/winter sent but its mysterious fruity spiciness has an Occidental character to it that wont offend in (and complements) the tropics.

Very masculine, very interesting and projects a scent of class, authority and sophistication.

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

Softly sweet and smooth. Juniper berries come out very nicely and prickle. Then, there is suede. I suppose that you could say that there is a tobacco note, but if there is, it is like the packaged, moist (without the moisture and not strong) and dark kind with aromatic sweetness. Quite lovely, in fact.

FragrantAl87
FragrantAl87

A promising creation, with a few shortfalls

Opening: The sweetness of cinammon is immediately followed by the spiciness of the pepper, they intermingle very pleasantly. After drying a couple minutes the tobacco and deeper smells transition from sweet to spicy. Not a linear smell, I like that.

Sillage: I found it to be pretty good, 1-2 feet for a couple hours.

Longevity: After a couple of hours it becomes mostly imperceptible. Except for what Im about to say.

Gripes: It smells almost too medicinal on drydown. Hard to put my finger on it, but its like a sort of herbal scent you might find in a pain relief cream or something. Just not pleasant at all. I wanted to wash it off.

Overall: Like it for the first 30 minutes to an hour, and for its beautiful sweetly-dark opening. Hate its medicinal drydown, short lifespan and uninspiring sillage.

banks1124
banks1124

I've tested this twice and love it. I get leather for sure and the other notes are blended in a way that makes them all pretty mysterious but very well done to me. I'm thinking about buying a bottle but have some for swap if anyone's looking for something new--check out my perfume list.

bonarelli
bonarelli

i love this stuff! it would be my favorite if the scent lasted for more then a hour.

When you take the cap off and smell it, it seems really sweet. When you spray it on it smells fairly sweet. Over time, I either get used to it or that element dissipates quite a bit, and it's not an issue for me. Otherwise, it smells natural and is highly blended, though I think I'm detecting a synthetic musk some might not like (it's more subtle here than in a fragrance like Michael for Men by Kors). You can look at the note pyramid and think, yes that's probably in here, but good luck detecting it clearly. I get no tobacco and I like tobacco fragrances, so don't expect anything really obvious. I think of it as a kind of olfactory stew. To me, this is an "abstract" fragrance, though it does have an underlying leathery quality. Somewhat sweet, leathery stew? Yes, that might be it !

UPDATE: Several hours later and it's like a subtler and much smoother Michael for Men by Kors, with a hint of tobacco blended in. I guess this is meant for "mature" men; don't expect huge projection ("sillage").

hani.arfat
hani.arfat

This perfume reminds me of my grandfather

steve.brule
steve.brule

And this is what your boss wears. Walks in a room and you know he is in charge just by the way he smells.

John Varvatos Original (70%) + Polo Green (30%) = John Varvatos Vintage

Recommended for guys over 45 or so. Has that slight mature note that fits a certain age. It is MARVELOUS in its dry down. If you want to make people feel like you are an important person, this one is a must! The Most Interesting Man in the World HAS to wear this cologne. There is no way he wouldn’t!

renehoney
renehoney

This scent reminds me of just a very private and sensual Christmas... leather bound books, tobacco, cinnamon, mohagany tables...fir trees..

And for the first time in my experience with a fragrance, i can actualy imagine the kind of man that would attract me and cause me to fall helplessly in love if he wore this! hahaha! silly i know, but i have never been so enamoured by such a masculine scent before to the point of conjuring up the perfect man to suit it!!

Vintage is truly a woman magnet's secret weapon...

williamvargas
williamvargas

i have not worn this in a while, put some on today,lots of compliments from the guys and well as the ladies, i forget how nice this fragrance is , i really like the original john varvatos as well , but it seems as though this one is even better liked from the other noses in the room. i get to where i cannot smell it after a couple of hours or so , but it seems as though others can, masculine is the term that is most used..longevity could be better , one of those a little atomizer just for a refresher spritz to the neck after about 4 hours. but even so a wonderful man scent. good stuff, glad i have this one.my collection is growing and this one got left behind a little as you discover and try new ones, but this is one nice scent. if you have not sniffed this one out ,you should.
really is a nice fragrance .

salt88
salt88

THIS! This is how men should smell like!! My gosh, this is so masculine. Definitely a turn-on and so sexy. I could fantasize having s-x the whole day with a guy wearing this fragrance. Yeah!

Bobster
Bobster

Yes as everyone has noted the scent life on this is between the 3-6 hour mark but my gosh in those hours this is AMAZING!!!!!Masculine all the way and I love it. I wore this two days in a row and in those two days I received two compliments from two different people.The scent alone makes up for its poor longevity. Try it out and if you come in contact with someone between the life of the scent I bet you will get a compliment. I know I did.

chicosuave
chicosuave

This is an incredibly masculine sexy scent. I absolutely love it! The only problem seems to be that it only lasts a few hours. well on me at least.
I'd like to make it my signature scent. May be too much for the summer time??

foxmulder_FBI
foxmulder_FBI

Let me start by saying that this is one of my favorites, despite the accepted lack of longevity. I get decent enough projection, but like many others noted, the longevity of this one is not very good. However this doesn't stop me from loving the cologne.

For me, the top notes are a very sweet rhubarb, berry, and tonka mix. It is not sickly sweet, but still very sweet and warm. It almost reminds me of Thanksgiving desert, creamy fruit pies. If you are not a fan of sweet fragrances this might be a little off putting, but the rest of the fragrance is much less sweet.

The middle notes, on me, are defined by the Balsam fir. When the balsam fir begins to kick in with the remnants of the fruit notes, this fragrance reminds me of Christmas. Along the lines of Burberry London, Vintage is a perfect winter holiday scent between the sweetness and the balsam.

The base is where the 'vintage' really kicks in, mainly the tobacco note. The sweetness has mostly dissipated at this point, and Vintage turns into a mix of balsam fir and strong tobacco. Just a perfect dry down for the name of the cologne and what it tries to do.

Finally, one of my favorite parts about this cologne is the presentation. The bottle is well made, creative, and truly has a vintage feel with the leather band. Proud to have this one in my collection, displayed right in front.

All in all, one of my favorites.

karen.clay
karen.clay

I bought this for my husband and love it so much, I wear it all the time!

daveysis
daveysis

Just bought this fragrance and ive got to say....love it,great smell and packaging.Not the longest lasting scent but worth it.

twlahue

My wife said it smelled like a teenager, not a man...whatever.
My daughter said a funeral home...
I like it though

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Didn't like this one at first. Bought with a gift certificate, the store only really had popular fragrances, nothing really interesting there. This was the most unique one that I could pick out of the lot, so I bought it.

A warm and sweet opening, I get berries and a sort of sticky sweetness from the tonka. I feel it is on the verge of being a little too sweet. Nice and warm, good for this type of cold weather.

The dry-down is pleasant. Inviting and rich, yet very subtle. A bit of woods and tobacco. It took me a while to figure this one out, though I suppose it's because I really haven't sampled much like this. Kudos to John Varvatos for breaking the mould of modern men's fragrance. This ain't no Acqua di Gio.

Didn't know if I should wear this to work, it's a bit on the sensual side. Honestly I feel like a bit of a tart wearing this. While this is different from the norm, it is subtle and innoffensive enough that most people won't mind it. Projection is okay, after a few hours stays pretty close to my skin. I find I have to press my nose right to my skin to smell anything. Longevity isn't great.

For the price at retail (YMMV), I figured I would have gotten a bit of longevity out of this, unfortunately it's a bit disappointing. Though, I suppose this isn't really an "all day" scent. This would be good for a proper date, though she may only be able to smell it if she gets really close.

cjgoehner
cjgoehner

I could tell you how great this fragrance is with 200 adjectives but I can sum it up in four words...Nectar of the Gods

chibon
chibon

Sensual, intoxicating, masculine and intriguing...awesome fragrance. The bottle is definitely masculine and love the leather band around it as it gives hints of leathery notes in the frag. Varvatos Vintage is such a wonderful compliment to any fall or winter evening as the lavender, leather and suede notes untwine seamlessly and demand your attention. The musky tones are sweet and bald, though longevity isn't admirable. Nice, smooth, memorable sillage though. This one is a staple scent in my collection.

Longevity 7/10
Sillage 7/10
Scent 9/10

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Vintage is surprisingly sweet, given its note pyramid, with the moist grapefruit and berry notes taking center stage in both the opening and the heart. Tobacco adds a temperate masculinity, and an hour after application a nice fir note accompanies the fruit and woods. All in all a nice fragrance, albeit a little too sweet for me.

D A V A R I
D A V A R I

دقیقا بوی مربای البالوی گرم را میدهد
ماندگاری موتوسط
مناسب فصل سرد

Just the smell of warm cherry jam
Stay Mvtvst
For the cold season

Awesome stuff...
John Varvatos used to be found online for $30 a bottle 4.2 oz. Now it is hard to find for that price. If you want to try a cheaper option, go for C.O. Bigelow (at Bath and Body Works) Elixir Black. It smells very similar to both John Varvatos and Vintage. It is only $20 or less.

cdaleb73110
cdaleb73110

Superb masculine scent. Love when I wear it and get random people coming up to me asking what it is. Seems to seduce people..ha ha. Lasts a long time on me and seems to somewhat be ever changing throughout the hours. Great for a night out on the town. Unique in it's own right...A must have.

Note: The warmth of the summer esp in the light breezy eve really brings this scents notes out like mad. (Not just for cold weather)....Does project rather well.

I do find the suede, tobacco and jasmine with a slight sweetness really pop when the weather is warm or your heated up. On just a regular cool eve the absinth, lavender, cinammon, fir and tobacco are more prominate.
On here it only lists part of the notes....

Complete list....

Top notes of rhubarb, quince, absinthe and spicy notes; a heart of lavender, cinnamon leave, jasmine, orris and fir balsam and a dry down of patchouli, oak moss, tonka bean, tobacco and suede accents.

lila_says
lila_says

I haven't smelled this but am curious, could a woman wear it or is it TOO masculine?

Luforge
Luforge

Sweet leathery scent with a touch of class! This fragrance is ideal for cool romantic evenings. longevity is good if you have tan/olive skin about 5hrs tops.

m-hani

ولی دوام آن بیشتر از پخش ان می باشد
با احترام

Dr. Smellgood
Dr. Smellgood

I have a nickname for this cologne - Liquid Christmas. It is an amazing scent that shares many accords with my favorite frag of all time, BUT...it smells so much of the holidays that you can really only get away with it from Oct thru January.

masboi
masboi

my fave. from varvatos line, very underrated.

the opening kinda boozy with dried berries vibe. very alluring.

heavy tobacco note in mid and base note. but the berries feel still lingering.

silage is good for 2 hours, 3 hours max, then it dries down really close to the skin.

longevity kinda spotty on me, sometimes, 6 hours or less, sometimes more than 8 hours. depends on the humidity i guess.

very recommended for dating. or casual night out.

longevity : 7/10
projection : 7/10
overall smell : 9/10
recommended age : 24 and up

andy
andy

I just smelled it today, sprayed it on my arm and after a few hours i have the following conclusion: nice smell but not much different than the classic varvatos

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

An embossed leather band with gold stamped lettering stitched around an antiqued looking bottle? How could I not test this rugged looking beauty when I saw it on the department store counter? A spritz on a paper strip: fir, rugged, classy, outdoorsy, smokingly sexy.

A delicious blend of sweet evergreen and spices and just enough earthiness to be taken seriously without being cynical or sombre. It seems like such a commonsense compostion for the rugged, intelligent, outdoor type that I'm surprised that this hasn't been done before--but it does smell refreshingly different with a slightly modern, yet classically natural vibration.

The dry down is close to the skin, smelling of spiked, smoky tobacco and leather in harmony with honeyed hay-like tonka. A scent with intimate proximity to share with someone special.

Vintage is reminscent of my Oregonian environment--sweet sun-toasted fir needles crunching underfoot while hiking the mountains. Perfect.

twlahue

i want to like this so bad. i love the scent, but it just wont last...
a real shame

safetyjon
safetyjon

I find Vintage to be an interesting gourmand. When I first tried it, it made me think of gin. This makes sense, since the juniper berry is one of the primary ingredients in the production of gin. It is sweet, but not excessive or cloying. I can't wear most sweet fragrances, but I do enjoy JV Vintage. The sillage is not excessive. Nice manly dry-down with patchouli, leather and a very prominent tobacco. Longevity on me is 8-10 hours.

Having said this, I don't like JV Vintage nearly as much as its brother, the original John Varvatos, which is my favorite gourmand and one of my top five fragrances. Vintage is in my rotation and wear it when I am in the mood, probably every couple of weeks. Overall, I give it a thumbs-up.

lfmars98
lfmars98

Very nice, sweet opening. A butch version of Calvin Klein Euphoria for women. I did two sprays on my wrist at 5pm. It's 8:30pm now and the scent is about gone. Horrible longevity for a fragrance. Will not be buying this.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

It is a disappointing fragrance for me. i didn't like it at all, a kind of sweet and a bit smoky musk fragrance. got a poor silage and longevity. the only thing i liked about it is its initial notes other than that below average fragrance.
I give it 4 out of 10.

According to the PR from the company distibuting this fragrance the notes are: rhubarb, santolina, quince paste, silver absinthe, marine fennel, cubeb peppers, juniper berries, white lavender, cinnamon tree leaves, jasmine, orris root, patchouli, oak moss, fir balsam, ash wood, tonka beans, tobacco leaf, madras wood and suede accents.

It is described as classic, distinctive and smooth...

lovescully
lovescully

To my nose this goes on very very sweet & even in the drydown stays fairly sweet. That's not a bad thing, just an observation.

It's very warm, pleasant & a bit smokey too. Probably best kept for intimate occasions as it stayed pretty close to my skin. Longevity is not too bad though; about 5 hours on me.

guest_Tantyfanty
guest_Tantyfanty

what a class !!!!
Smell is elegant.
Doesnt last much long. In winter, it lasts a bit longer. Its good for evening wear.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

A Winter treasure indeed. Warm but not obvious. Classic without being stiff. Longevity was missing for me but still a special scent for a night out with your lady.

nikornplay
nikornplay

clear clean cool.

polite in the way of current time.

BIG
BIG

to me it's a smoky-woody-prunes scent!!! so sexy and mesmerizing!!!

guest_Bear
guest_Bear

vintage have that mature smell that's sweet, cinnamonly, woodsy that carries a slight leather note with warm tobacco scent like a smokeless smoker. if you're bald and clean this scent doesn't match you. on the other side if you have a quite matured edgy face with long hair and messy outlook, this would well suit you almost any season, even summer. however vintage is not for a 18 yrs old punk whose attitude is too stupid to suit this precious bottle.

czardog
czardog

LOVE THIS! Extremely manly, without a musky accord. Very sexy

minister smellgood
minister smellgood

almost too grown man for me. it smells like one of the creeds, but i cant remember which one

promoscanner
promoscanner

Warm, leathery scent, with a touch of sweetness that is perfect for a warm fall evening.

Not long-wearing, but a pleasant, unique scent.

ZeeK
ZeeK

Very fine designer perfume! Composition / notes are quite distinctive and not easy to match with any other blend, few ingredients are used in perfumery for the first time by Varvatos. ""Vintage"" as name suggests that is of High Quality, Classic and Modern.

Top notes are decorated with Tamarind, Herbs and Date Fruit; Heart contains Coriander, Clary Sage Flowers (to give a pleasant tobacco affect) and Indian Ajwain; Base is composed of Auramber (rich wooden ambery material), Sandalwood, Balsams, Leather and Vanilla.

Most suitable for evening wear in cooler days and has elegance to match any special occasion with nice silage and longevity.

Vintage by John Varvatos 4.18 out of 5 based on 682 ratings and 115 user reviews

John Varvatos Vintage Cologne by John Varvatos, 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray Tester for Men
John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos EDT Spray 4.2 oz Tester for Men
Sephora.com, Inc.
John Varvatos Vintage 2.5 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
John Varvatos Vintage 2.5 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Macys.com
John Varvatos Vintage Eau de Toilette Spray, 2.5 oz.
John Varvatos Vintage Eau de Toilette Spray, 2.5 oz.
John Varvatos Vintage Eau De Toilette Spray 125ml 4.2oz
John Varvatos Vintage Eau De Toilette Spray 125ml 4.2oz
Sephora.com, Inc.
John Varvatos Vintage 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
John Varvatos Vintage 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Macys.com
John Varvatos Vintage Eau de Toilette Spray, 4.2 oz
John Varvatos Vintage Eau de Toilette Spray, 4.2 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about John Varvatos Vintage fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about John Varvatos Vintage, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Vintage by John Varvatos. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Vintage by John Varvatos represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.