Designers » I-K » Woody Aromatic « Groups

What About Adam Joop! for men

What About Adam Joop! for men
dislike

What About Adam by Joop! is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. What About Adam was launched in 1992. The nose behind this fragrance is Calice Becker. Top notes are mint, cassia, grapefruit, lemon and tomato leaf; middle notes are sandalwood, lavender, cedar and geranium; base notes are labdanum, vanilla, oakmoss and vetiver.

Mint Cassia Grapefruit Lemon Tomato Leaf

Paul Smith Story

What About Adam Fragrance Reviews

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Joop fragrances seem to get a really bad rap and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because Joop Homme is such an iconic, divisive fragrance. Maybe it's because their fragrances all have such huge, unapologetic sillage. But personally I admire the hell out of a brand that's not afraid to make some risky decisions and try to put something out on the market that's unique and challenging.

You cannot talk about What About Adam without mentioning the prominent tomato leaf note. It is a crisp, savory green note with plenty of snap. It is blended beautifully with mint and cassis to create a zingy green effect with herbal tones. Citrus nuances are provided by grapefruit and lemon, and the vanilla note is used quite skillfully to add sweetness and warmth.

The drydown is less distinct but still gorgeous. The green-herbal notes settle a bit and the fragrance becomes rich and deep thanks to the efforts of oakmoss, labdanum, and sandalwood.

The biblical allusions to Adam in the Garden of Eden are perfectly executed. This fragrance is beautifully and carefully composed but smells effortless. What About Adam is a fantastic option for warmer summer days, and has completely charmed me.

chefstelios
chefstelios

What to say about that amazing stuff?? I was lucky that I found it in a greek site and just opened my new bottle after maybe 7 years:)

dremerick

Wore this today. Nothing screams spring or brings on memories of summer like this beauty. I just marvel at the uniqueness of this scent.

dremerick

Realistic tomato leaf, mint, and grapefruit. Amazing! Then some balancing from a woody middle. Finally some sweetness from vanilla. This is a WAY over-looked and under appreciated masterpiece. The home gardener will appreciate the olfactory senses this fragrance touches. Discontinued, but can be easily had at reasonable prices all over the internet. Search it out and do yourself a favor and try it! BIG recommend.
One warning; go easy on the sprayer . . .two sprays are all you'll need! ;-)

Gwizz
Gwizz

What can I say? The most accurate tomato leaf rendition I've ever experienced and a severely underrated fragrance in general. I'm as guilty as the next niche lover of being pretty snobby when it comes to stuff like Joop, but as always, there are exceptions to every rule, and fragrances like this just waiting to prove us wrong!

The tomato leaf is the star here from beginning to end. Next time you get a chance, rub some fresh tomato leaves between your thumb and forefinger. What you'll smell is exactly the note that carries this fragrance. There are other notes such as sandalwood, vetiver, geranium, oak moss, cedar etc that poke their heads out here and there, but they all play serious second fiddle to the tomato leaf. There is a dash of citrus along for the ride also that adds a certain angularity to the show, but it too is kept in the shade.

I was bought this scent as a gift some 15 or 20 years ago, but shelved it when I became aware of the amazing world of niche/artisan perfumery. I can only say that, somewhat perversely, I'm glad I decided to be a snob about it, because I still have at least half a bottle of this now discontinued scent left! It's only now that I've trained my nose to be more competent that I can actually appreciate this thing for the underrated gem that it is! I'm glad I waited...

Cassiano
Cassiano

Just as happened with Joop! Nightflight, this one was also released in 1992, and ended up inspiring a women's version, in 1996, called All About Eve.
This is a fragrance that was not sold in large scale in Brazil and currently no longer exists because it has been discontinued. A pity, because it is a delight, which matches a lot with the tropical climate of my country.

It brings notes of mint, absolute of cassis, grapefruit and tomato leaves, in the output. In the heart, lavender, cedar, geranium and sandalwood. And at the base, vanilla, oakmoss, labdanum and vetiver.
The fragrance is fresh and aromatic. When touches the skin, you are knocked down by the mint and cassis. The grapefruit comes in acidic form, with nuances of the zest of its peel. Then, the aroma of tomato leaves arrives and settles. After a while, it is possible to notice the presence of lavender and cedar wood (at heart), but nothing can overcome the strength of mint blended to tomato leaves. Is impressive!

Time passes and the fragrance keeps exhaling, tirelessly, until the bottom nuances begin to perform with greater intensity. At this stage of evolution, the notes of vetiver and oakmoss form the foundation that keeps this fragrance alive for so long on the skin. Have I told you it's impressive?

Although I wonder how it could be the result of vanilla and labdanum (with its ambery and, sometimes, leathery nuances), I must confess that, for some reason, something tells me that creaminess, sweetness and a touch of sensuality wouldn't go well in the final result of this creation. This cologne was designed to hold us to the image of Adam, with his nakedness tied to nature. But do not be surprised if you feel yourself in a kitchen full of herbs and spices freshly harvested from the garden.

I dare say that this fragrance could be part of the line Un Jardin (Hermès), with great confidence in my words. And if wasn't enough the delicious aroma, it projects and lasts on the skin absurdly, even for a product with so refreshing features.

Finally, I only have one more compliment: it is impressive!

boogiewoogie
boogiewoogie

Hello there ..
short to say :
I had it and I loved it ..
I have it again now , and I`m still lovin`it!!
It is the best from JOOP! in my oppinion.
Such a nice green minty fresh fragrence.
Nice during summer .. the best then I think !
Shame on "them" who decidet to stop
producing this juice.
2 nice too stop sniffing on you ! !

Sort of like Gucci's Envy for Men but with green notes replacing the spices. For me, this makes it more interesting and less cloying. With more than one spray to the chest, I'd probably find this nauseating, so keep in mind this is the kind of scent that can seem to get stronger over time and spray accordingly!

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

A tomato and grapefruit powerhouse. This could easily strike someone as a huge synthetic headache in a bottle, but in the right hands (and on the right skin) it is a fairly masterful and utterly unique blend of greens, citrus and light woods. I'm still not entirely sure where I sit on this debate but the great Luca Turin is a fan of this very hard to find scent.

Longevity and projection are really quite decent.

gpluciano
gpluciano

A Bottle Was Purchased For Me In 1997, I still have 1/4 Left and only use it on very special occasions. I Have searched high & low and can't find it anywhere. As far as I'm aware, unfortunately, it has been discontinued. That Scent, Sillage, Longevity...Perfection!

guillermostf
guillermostf

i had it once, i recieved compliments, this scent is green, a little spicy, a lot of leaves mixed up... rare scent, but nice. Jopp! is kind of different from the media fragrances in market.

livraison.deparfum
livraison.deparfum

just one word disgusting; c'est un parfum affreux trop de feuille de tomate vraiment déçu, surtout que j'ai bien aimé la version Homme de Joop!, qui reste le meilleur produit de la marque; je déconseille vivement.

kida2010
kida2010

This is a very special fragrance, rare, unknown and unique. There's not 1 youtube review on it and i don't know anyone who owns it.
My brother came across a bottle in Sephora in the 90's and wore it for years. Its so unique only this smell can bring back those memories.
I think overall it'll be a love or hate seen as the tomato leaf note is quite strong and in a way a touch odd. But it works in the same way a fresh fig leaf note would giving it a hot summer vibe and a certain freshness.
After a few hours the vanilla really finishes off the end smoothly and its totally yummy.
Not sure if its worth any crazy ebay prices but if you happend to come across it def give it a try!

jozemo
jozemo

a scent monster,another sleeper, a nice minty scent with some unusual elements to it, when it dry on the skin, it's delightful to the ladies that get a whiff!

eric.del grande
eric.del grande

i just got a small bottle and i'm dissapointed. the tomato leaf bursts out for like 10 seconds then its gone drying down quickly to this musky vanilla powder appears that's a bit feminine its not bad but not what i thought and not as masculine as i thought, ill try it more maybe it will develop but it def not bad smelling i keep smelling my wrist and its nice very soft.

tomerits
tomerits

one of my all time favorites,not all people like it but i think its a very unique scent and i'm using this only on special occasion. too bad it's not in production anymore , one of the truly unique scents.
my rank 4.5/5.

Renato

I paid $20 for a big bottle of What About Adam? I kept it as a reference for the worst scent I'd ever smelled (a title it held till I smelled Secretions Magnifique - but I think that's a joke scent, like Demeter Dirt).

It may be that the reason I don't like it is because I intensely dislike eating raw tomatoes. On the other hand, tomato leaf isn't the same thing as tomato fruit. I've given it to people to test at my place, and one of my friends did actually like it, but most were unenthused by it.

I recollect about ten years ago how this was the first fragrance I saw really very heavily discounted just about everywhere, gift sets were so cheap on the internet it was almost embarrassing.

I'm mystified as to how it ever came to be released as a mainstream big-release scent, when clearly it appealed and would only ever appeal to only a tiny minority.

Which is a shame really. There are probably dozens of carrot, capsicum and bean scents that haven't been released due to the poor showing of this one.
Cheers,

RobbieX
RobbieX

Nice fragrance - can smell the tomato leaf and mint very clearly - then dries down to a musky, almond, grapefruit - a pleasant green scent that lasts quite a while too.

kraxa
kraxa

This is a scent I got for my ex husband mainly because of its name ;-) But then it was a pleasant surprise- I recall the grapefruit notes very clearly- kind o sweeet but tarty smell. I wasn't even aware it's no longer there. I can't say I would miss it, just like I don't miss my ex ;-)

Mihail
Mihail

Rain. Summer. A kitchen garden. The fresh leaves of a tomato pounded in palms. It is unique and unforgettable. Gentle and poisonous there is some:-)

flirtee
flirtee

One of my favorite scent! Reminds me when I was still young and fresh! LOL! Green tomato lingers with a matching combination of vanilla and mint. Lovely fragrance!

hernie
hernie

Delicious fragrance, unfortunately discontinued. I need someone who can explain to me why this things happen with such delicious fragrances like this or Givenchy Insensé or Ungaro III 4 example...Unbelievable.
The tomato leaf in the beginning seems a bit to Sisley´s Eau de Campagne. And the vanilla is remarkable. I miss it sooo muchhh!!!

kisherceg
kisherceg

My "memory-perfume"...Wearing it,for me,is a very special feeling..Reminds me some good memories from the "old good times" when I was a child. Who grew up in small town or had own garden with tomato plants knows how I mean.When I was little kid my mother went to the garden and I follow her. Her fine sweet perfume (I don't remember what was that--perhaps Impulse Incognito :-)) mixed in my nose with that weird smell of tomato leaves..was so amazing..
Joop! Adam captured that feeling.

Unfortunately this is a discontinued fragrance..
But I love when smooth vanilla is mixed with tomato leaves, grapefruit and mint..Perfect.
I was lucky to purchase on ebay 5 bottles in the last minute :)
Now I have to use them,cause it's not good to store them too long. I tried any other tomato fragrances, but it was the best ( Puma Aqua too spicy,Halston Unbound is too light, but I love, Demeter Tomato is too earthy and heavy, Lacoste Essential sweeter than Adam was).

If anybody has idea what perfume I should have to try which is similar to this one,notice me,please!! ..and I'm waiting for...perhaps there will be a perfume-creator who "catches" again the feeling for me...or Adam will be in production again :)

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

What about Adam? starts really citrus and minty. The grapefruit is there, along with mint and the tomate leaves.

After that strong start, all you have is a nice combination of woods and vanilla.

Strong, long lasting and, unfortunately, discontinued.

perryforever
perryforever

My ex used to wear this - he'd sourced it as it was no longer made.. I love the smell, esp the tomato leaf note. I've just gone onto the net and found a sample for my partner, who is looking for his first scent. If he does not like it I will wear it.

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

Very fresh scent. Lasts forever! Too bad it's been discontinued. Only available at select fragrance vendors and online outlets.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Joop! What About Adam fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Joop! What About Adam, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify What About Adam by Joop!. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of What About Adam by Joop! represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.