Designers » I-K » Floral « Groups

Island Gardenia Jovan for women

Island Gardenia Jovan for women
dislike

Delicate and wild at the same time, this fragrance was inspired by the beauty of nature. The simple fragrance of a dew drenched soft gardenia warmed by the sun.

It is available as 40 ml cologne spray. Island Gardenia was launched in 1982.

Gardenia

Gardenia
Gardenia Rattan
Sand & Sable

Island Gardenia Fragrance Reviews

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

Smells very cheap on first application (well, it is). But give it about five minutes and you get a fresh gardenia with barely a touch of coconut.
Good for the price but not spectacular.

Skayalily
Skayalily

Overwhelmingly thick gardenia, downright waxy. The scent is completely linear; the scent that first sprays is the exact same scent that is still surrounding me 7ish hours later as it's fading off of my skin. The entirety of the perfume is heavy, warm and smothering. The aroma, if it weren't so darn thick, is actually quite pretty. It seems just too creamy to be a true natural gardenia, I'd call it Gardenia Butter.

TexasNoelle
TexasNoelle

Unfortunately this fragrance does not work for me, though it was worth a try. It smells like a nice gardenia when first sprayed, but within minutes turns into a synthetic, sweet mess on me, something like cheap grocery store sugar cookies. I'm glad so many people do enjoy it.

Addict2Perfume
Addict2Perfume

Island Gardenia by Jovan is one of those fragrances I wish I would have gotten sooner considering my love for gardenias and how affordable it is! Simple yet not synthetic smelling! I love the bottle and it’s great to take on-the-go to freshen up!

raw umber
raw umber

Jovan Island Gardenia smells like a tuberose soliflore drizzled with movie theater popcorn butter. I don't get coconut, animalic, any other flowers etc. All I get is: TUBEROSE + SALTY BUTTER.

That said, I love it. I did the tuberose test to make sure that it was tuberose I was detecting and not a similar white floral like say, gardenia (not that there's a huge difference in this instance).

Tuberose is my boyfriend's absolute favorite scent on me. Whenever I'm wearing a perfume that contains the note, he makes sure that I know, that he knows I'm wearing it.

I put on a few sprays of Island Gardenia and he just manifested in front of me out of no where, telling me I smelled good. so yeah, if you like bold white flowers and movie corn... you know what to do.

IrisLily
IrisLily

I picked this one as my sunny, summery, Sunday morning scent. My husband immediately complained saying it smelled cheap and stinky. I removed some of it and replaced it with Angel Eau Sucree which he loves. I discovered that the two scents together, however, are delicious together, especially on a hot day. I will have to save Island Gardenia for when he is not around because I really like it. But I am really enjoying how the notes in both compliment each other so well. Both linger and last a long while also.

Lilithorvat
Lilithorvat

A clean and slightly sweet white floral, very strong gardenia (I smell tuberose as well but gardenia is dominate). Lasts all day long and smells strongly throughout the day. It does sweeten on me a bit as it dries and warms down. I work in a warehouse for 8 hours a day, Island Gardenia is simple in elegance! This will be my go to "can't decide what to wear, just want to smell good" everyday fragrance.

I highly recommend this for those looking for a genuine smelling gardenia experience. So lovely!

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

If you like Gardenia, tuberose, or other creamy white florals then this is a must have, especially for $10.00. The first spray on my skin blooms into something spicy.. something reminiscent of cinnamon or clove. That fades away fairly fast and you're left with pure buttery, creamy, slightly dusty gardenia with just the right amount of that zesty, blue, classic gardenia bite. Jovan actually paints a pretty realistic painting of gardenia. This is really pretty and I wouldn't even question this if it was released in a fancier bottle by a more expensive perfume house.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Island Gardenia Jovan

Notes Gardenia

My mother adores this cheapie but goodie fragrance. We found it while fragrance shopping together in NYC. She loves white flowers and her favorite fragrance is White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor. I would not compare this to White Diamonds but if you do like white floral scents and have worn White Diamonds this is an easy perfume to wear. There is a maturity to it as I associate with my mother. She wears this very well. This is a sweet softer Jungle Gardenia by Tuvache and similar to Sand & Sable by Coty. I prefer Sand and Sable because of the peach scent. To me this smelled of gardenia and the facets of it's fragrance. It smells floral, sweet, strong, vanillic, creamy and green. It's a very flowery smell like putting your nose right on that gardenia. However it's enjoyable because it's soft and not a headache inducer. It's great to wear in spring and summer, a great vacation and beach scent or to wear on a cruise. It has a definite tropical air, like the scent of white flowers in the Caribbean islands at a distance. You might pick up on other white scents that are in the background and not listed as notes: jasmine and plumeria/tiare. It's a gorgeous tropical gardenia. Highly recommended. I borrow it from my mother from time to time. We are both such fragrance hoarders LOL

Konga5000

Little Update: The best $10.00 frag sold at Wal*Mart that smells like a $129.00 frag from Creed or Bond No. 9 ! Incredible.

Madrona
Madrona

It's a lovely gardenia. I now understand the gardenia note of the old Crystal Noir, and why the coconut compliments it so well.

Countrygurl
Countrygurl

Beautiful pure gardenia smell. Love it. dries down to gardenia and vanilla ice cream smell. Not as sharp as the old BBW Gardenia , very creamy.

MoonSparrow
MoonSparrow

Sometimes I just wish to smell clean and fresh, uncomplicated and natural. Yes this is not a natural fragrance, but it does give the impression of one. A whisper of gardenia on a cool evening breeze in a gentle summer rain. Simple yet the best thing for a stifling, hot and humid summer day, so cooling and refreshing.

It doesn't last 10 minutes on the skin of course, but it is cheap and can be layered over other fragrances. I like to use a dupe of Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia oil and spray this over it, or a very good gardenia oil I buy at the Renaissance Festival (Planetary Perfumes). Gardenia is my #1 favorite flower scent and it is so pleasing to have a bit of its magic on the cheap.

I like this much better than just about any more expensive fragrance that purports to be gardenia. Most of those put bitter green notes in that I cannot take and are not necessary to the composition. While this is not 100% bona fide gardenia, it is deeply satisfying all the same and I love it.

NouveauDruid
NouveauDruid

Last summer I layered Island Gardenia with coconut scented lotions and oils to much success...everyone said AHHH as if I were the girl from Ipanema.

Island Gardenia, at least the version that has been available for the last five years or so, is in my top two favorite gardenias of all time because it is, to my nose, so close to the real flower.

This is quite an accomplishment as it is surely a synthetic. Yet, it lacks the metallic or some would say, aquatic note that exists in Marc Jacobs. It also lacks the green and tropical floral notes in Touvache's Jungle Gardenia. It is richer than Elizabeth Taylor's Gardenia (my third favorite), yet not as rich as Sand & Sable (my second favorite but reserved for winter due to its strength and its tuberose and amber notes).

Believe it or not you can usually find this scent at larger Wal-Mart locations but hurry before it's gone.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Best buttery gardenia for summer. Little green and coconutty around the edges. A true gem.I'm going to layer it with pink sugar gold or comptoir sud pacific vanille coco to add a more tropical sugar vibe. Love this.

This is more along the lines of a lighter fracas than jungle gardenia.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Lovely pure gardenia fragrance. This is such a 70's scent for me...it's the 4th Of July, the Caribbean, a soft warm ocean breeze. It's a tall blonde, wearing a cream evening gown with a high slit, two-piece halter Cher style. She is wearing gold dangle pyramid earrings with a matching necklace. Long hair, straight and parted down the middle...one side she keeps behind her ear. Walking along the beach barefoot at sunset. Then she sees him...the date she made at 10pm at the cabana.
A beautiful fragrance for pennies.Transports you to a Caribbean vacation. Wears lovely on the skin...This is Summer in a bottle!

Hippo Princess
Hippo Princess

A simple and gorgeous white bloom which lends its tropical warmth and creamy fragrance to the wearer's skin. A bride in white with a gardenia tucked behind her dark curls creating a pure and heavenly-sweet aura around her. A humid night in Maui in a lush hotel garden. Bliss for a dozen dollars!

felicite34
felicite34

Like it, very strong though. Have to be in a mood to wear it, I often layer it w/ Coty Skin Musk which tones it down a bit. Very reasonably priced and good longetivity on my skin.

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

Dear Co-Fragranticians,

Does anyone know if by chance Jovan's Island Gardenia isn't the same as vintage Tuvache Jungle Gardenia?

Thanks!

angelo..zucchinni
angelo..zucchinni

saw this shopping...since ive become an avid parfum combiner....this will be a beautifull touch to my personal concoctions...as for the smell...it is quite delightfull and very floral...and is fairly potent...fairly inexpensive...have added it already to a blend and im loving it....a great ingredient for your mystery fragrances...its also lovey by itself...im a guy btw...happy whiffs n sniffzs...IMO its a decent 7.4 out of 10

kbot
kbot

This is my favorite perfume to sleep in or lounge around in--so soft, comforting and pretty. Plus, the price is right, although this does not smell cheap to me at all. Beautiful, classic gardenia fragrance!

Frayja
Frayja

How tricky the skin can be!
I love gardenias,my mom love them too!
I had Island Gardenia and considered it great cause of the realistic interpretation of the flower.I swapped it through the time,because smelled on me like a vase of died-for-so-long -time-ago poor gardenias!!!
Now I bought another bottle for my mom.
My mom is 75 years old,look like in her 40s!
(I m in my 40s, thank God not looking like I am at my 70s!)
On my mom smells like sparkle,vivid,fresh,ready to "talk" gardenias!
I m so happy for my gift to her!
For the price,you can pick one and choose if you are the right person to wear!
If you are,you ll never regret the choice,is one of the best Gardenia's perfumes out there!

Enjoy it,Mom!

emt1986
emt1986

Oh. Em. Gee. I only bought this because I bought a bottle of Cabochard and saw someone in the reviews for that suggest layering it with a simple gardenia fragrance, but Island Gardenia arrived today and Cabochard won't be here until tomorrow so of course I tried it on its own... and it is GORGEOUS! It opens a very, very pure gardenia: heady, creamy, warm, sweet, luscious, narcotic, and STRONG. For me, it stays mainly linear, with just a hint of coconut in the drydown. I don't find it artificial smelling at all, and it definitely has that carnal vibe to it that I love so much about Jovan's White Musk. How, HOW is this available for only $10? Don't ponder, just buy it!

EDIT: I've just reapplied and then gone out in the cold... I noticed that this time it has a somewhat buttery note to it... Wow. Even more beautiful!

*****************
When I think of the brand Jovan, I visualize a line of cheap , gaudy, generic alcohol based frags sitting on a 1983 drug store shelf collecting dust in their bland , generic looking boxes.
-------------------However........

BETTER NAME FOR THIS : Gardenia Ice Cream Sundae

Tonight, I spotted Island Gardenia at Wal*Mart for 10.99 or so. I had never seen this one for sale anywhere else. The last gardenia frag I owned--I had to give away because it was too "heady" (this was Hawaiian Gardenia made by that company in Hawaii ...forgot their brand name--forgive me).

Blind Buy. Spritz. OMG......white creamy Gardenia without that "headiness" ...is it musk that cradles it so nicely ? (Jovan pretty much invented musk--so perhaps?) Warm.....yummy.....intoxicating......white..... simple yet slightly complex.
Do I smell a hint of coconut? Is there Tiare in this ? That MAY be giving this that cream / coconut / fresh cotton odor ..........

This is going to be my new "pillow before bed" frag!

* This gets my rating of PNDT. (Please Never Discontinue This) ! *
WBA: Would Buy Again
WBABUB: Would Buy a Back Up Bottle
Also gets my "feels like I got an $59.99 frag from Bloomingdales for
the price of a bottle of Jean Nate" rating!

SUMMERY: Judge something for what it IS and not where it comes from.

If you like musky white florals and/or Gardenia ;
B L I N D B U Y this frag with confidence!

P.S. Should I be checking out other Jovan frags ? Hmmmmm.....
----------- UPDATE-----------------
I just found out that Jovan also makes a Honeysuckle; another "heady" floral that I love- but can be too "heady" for me. Thinking that they may have "tamed" the honeysuckle like they did to the gardenia here I went hunting only to find Honeysuckle discontinued with whore-vultures charging $79.99 for it online ! Damn.
UPDATE #2----------------
Just nabbed Elizabeth Taylors Gardenia from T.J. Marshalls; smells a LOT like Island Gardenia with a tiny hint of citrus in the opening.

butterbean
butterbean

Light watery fresh SOAPY gardenia fragrance (I don't get any coconut in this). Not too sweet. I get ZERO fleshy heady vibe. Its not one of those roll your eyes back gardenia scents, but it is a nice scent on a shoestring budget. It does have that perfume-y drugstore quality, smells better after about 1 hour of application.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

A somewhat artificial and plasticky coconutty Gardenia. Like Chopard's Casmir in its interesting plastic toy smell, rather unique, feels like it should be a Comme Des Garcons offering because of its odd "Floral industrial" scent, I appreciate it for its unnaturalism, it's definitely cool and lasts wonderfully, but it wasn't my perfect gardenia because of the undercurrent of coconut.

nerolette
nerolette

I absolutely LOVE this fragrance. Jovan's take on gardenia reminds me amazingly of Aerin Lauder Gardenia Rattan - a tiny bit less nuanced, but equally beautiful and lush. The initial spray is an enormous blast of summer, and the drydown softens into a caress of velvety white gardenia petals lingering on your skin. It is sweet but not gourmand, animalic but not aggressive, floral but not flirty (more dominating, despite its femininity!).

In addition, despite the "Island" in its name, unlike with many fragrances that aim to capture the intoxicating scent of a gardenia blossom, this scent does not overpower with coconut or aquatic elements - yet it still manages to place you outside on a hot summer evening. To me it is elegant and almost old-fashioned - Nicole Diver would wear this as she lounged by the Riviera - but also fun and modern in how unabashedly sultry and feminine it is.

I will keep this in my wardrobe forever.

Kiku
Kiku

Bought on the recommendations of numerous Fragranticans -- their taste is impeccable and, once again, they did not let me down! "Island Gardenia" opens with one of the purest gardenia notes I've ever smelled. Very tropical, sunny, and lazy. The dry down reveals a surprise: it smells like the long discontinued and long missed "My Sin". All at a very reasonable price. An intoxicating charmer.

naomin
naomin

I bought this because I'm on a desperate gardenia kick. This is strong! It's definitely a little loud for awhile, which is fine by me. I don't know if I love it, but it's certainly curious. I'm seeing reviews saying that this one is a little naughty, and I quite agree. There is a funky little coconut dancing in the background, but it's not very out there.

smellysmellerson
smellysmellerson

love at first sniff. Should change the name to Gardenia Black or Noir or something. Naughty Gardenia. Despite the pretty butter yellow box I find this a dark animalic Gardenia. It's strong so it will please those of us who demand power.

Pinchu Prince
Pinchu Prince

In India, there is a flower called Parijatham (same name for the tree too). Me and my brother decided to find out the truth behind people in my locality calling Gardenia as Parijatham. Gardenia is called Gandharajan in Kerala. Gardenia is a flower exuding a charming fragrance with intoxicating aura and it diminishes you to a dumbfounded admirer. We realized the flower they called Parijatham (in my locality) is none other than Gardenia itself. Parijatham is a different flower itself.

So the craze to find a real Gardenia flower end up in fragrantica and in noticing the Jovan Island Gardenia. I ordered it without a second thought and I got it today.

When i sprayed it, I was laughing in ecstasy,what an aura, I was kinda feeling dreamy. What a charm. This is gardenia ruling the roost. If u know Gardenia and love the smell you wont go wrong.
Its simply superb. Loved it....

telayla
telayla

I bought this blind and normally I really like gardenia fragrances. But to be honest, I'm not a fan of this one. Too sweet, too artificial, too headache inducing. I normally like the "strong" fragrances but not this one. I may try layering it to see if I can salvage it. But for now I'm thinking I can't wait to jump in the shower and scrub it off.

dmaw
dmaw

Love it...but stand back!

gedlive
gedlive

I'm a guy and I ordered this for my Mom who was a florist in Greenwich CT. Nijole's flowers.

I love the gardinija in one of my fav frages Halston Z-14. Gardinija adds a great note to this mysterious earthy dark fragrance. It is said to have the smell of mushrooms and sweet decay.

I think I will be stealing sprays from my Moms Gardinija island. I used to pick lily of the valleys for my mom as she used them for weddings. I enjoyed their smell also.

Rating: 7.25/10

Nikkafragrance
Nikkafragrance

Gardenia is one of my favourite flowers. Unfortunately this is not available in Bulgaria :( Those of you who own this gem are so lucky! sigh

SquirrelMonkey
SquirrelMonkey

I love the heck out of this great smelling easy to wear scent.
so soft and well balanced.
do I detect a little mild coconut note in there?
anyways, a very good price for a nice fragrance.

CitrusHead
CitrusHead

This is so pretty. It starts out with mostly GARDENIA, then slowly the coconut shows up. It's a light/pleasant, not sweet, coconut - doesn't scream "sunscreen". There seems to be some other pretty flowers in this but nothing jumps out. After a few hours, the gardenia is soft & the coconut is just a hint. It's not a complicated scent. If you don't like gardenia, you will not like this. I am looking forward to wearing this in the dead of winter to make me think of sunshine & summer. This lasts all day on my skin but quiets down to an up-close scent after several hours - I like that. And the really strange thing...the next day, this smells VERY much like Tubereuse Criminelle on my skin without the BenGay part. There is an "herbal" quality to this - maybe it's the type of gardenia? Maybe there is tuberose in this? Or maybe another "herbal" ingredient? It's lovely!

AnaIli35
AnaIli35

Creamy, comforting, sweet, coconutty and lush gardenia scent that instantly transports me to the tropics. I adore white florals, read the rave reviews and couldn't resist this $10 treat. This is heavenly! A new favorite, along with their fabulous musk oil. Mmmmm, I cannot stop smelling my wrists! A must-try if you love gardenias.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Oh, gardenia, you are THE note of female seduction. You perfectly walk the line of the "virgin/vamp" mentality, that drives men wild. Even the shape of your blooms, is enough to make men blush. Gardenia is expansive and almost soapy-clean, yet with a heart of sultry carnality; a fresh, sheet of white, floral waxiness, covering clean, hot flesh.

"Jovan's Island Gardenia" is the dichotomy of gardenia, at its finest. It can be trashy and it can be lady-like; that all depends upon its wearer's attitude and dress. This is a wedding AND wedding night fragrance, if you know what I mean. Jovan's gardenia is creamy and indole heavy but very fresh, wet and waxy, so if you prefer a more spare and powdery gardenia, you might want to try one mixed with tuberose or lily, like Estee Lauder's "Tuberose Gardenia", "Fracas" or "White Gardenia Petals" by Boadi or Elizabeth Taylor's "Gardenia".

Jovan's "Island Gardenia" is a lusty, hot, shower-clean, fleshy but fresh gardenia, more along the line of Dana's "Classic Gardenia". If you don't like the actual, skanky-clean dichotomy of real gardenias, you will not like this scent because it accomplishes that conflict, perfectly.

By the way, "Prell" is scented with gardenia-tiare, which is a nod to the monoi oil that became popular in The West as stationed, military men brought it home to their sweethearts in the 1940's, so if you like the smell of "Prell" shampoo, you'll love "Island Gardenia".

dkny27
dkny27

Couldn't agree with the reviews more.... This is an undiscovered gem! Opens with all gardenia, as the title states.. But the sillage, the longevity and the creamy dry down... Wow! It's a floral walk along the beach, after the sun goes down and the wind picks up.

What moves me to sound so emphatic is the quality/delivery of scent vs. the price... Thumbs up!

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

My goodness this is so beautiful. It's back up bottle worthy.

It opens with a waxy, creamy, warm gardenia. It's has that coconut-like smell of a real gardenia right off the bush. It' is the truest gardenia scent I have found. There's some stuff going on behind the gardenia that give it some depth. Some florals (rose and violet maybe) and something a little green in there too. I cannot put into words how well blended and crafted this cheapie is.

The drydown still has a stong gardenia flower thing going on but there is also a clean musk, sweet vanilla and I think almond.

On me the longevity was excellent. I washed it off after 12 hours but it was going strong. The sillage is perfect. it's not a skin scent but you need to be sitting or standing near someone for them to catch whiffs of your divine scent.

I may need to make room in my top five for it.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Island Gardenia smells Divine! I wore this daily in high school. I feel like a girl when I wear it. This kind of Gardenia smells as if it has been dipped into a can of coconut oil. It is so simple, sweet and narcotic that is why I love it so much. It drives me wild! The longevity is really bad but who cares, it costs less than $10! You must love white florals to like this.

spritzedsilly
spritzedsilly

Wonderful gardenia soliflor . The coconut note people smell is actually the way the natural scent is ! I have grown these babies for years . So... no coconut .

I love it .

ialwayssmellgood
ialwayssmellgood

I really like this a lot! I have been wearing this for a few days now, and I think I like the dry down the most. It is odd to me that coconut is not one of the notes described since it smells so much like it. I am a gardenia fanatic and this delights me. The price makes it a steal, too!

Miso-Happy
Miso-Happy

If you're looking for the definite scent of gardenia and you're on a budget then I think this one is pretty great. It reminds me of Kim Kardashian Eau de Toilette Spray, although I'm not sure the longevity lasts as long as Kim's. I usually wear this in combination with Jennifer Aniston's perfume which helps amp up its watery gardenia scent.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I bought this for myself around Christmas time in full-bottle size (usually they sell the minis for like $5.00, which, of course, because I wanted to try it they didn't have it this year).
Anyway - we've had this unending "polar vortex" winter and I'm dying of waiting for summer just so I can give this incredible hothouse, sultry, narcotic, tropical, coconutty, sun-tan lotion, hubba hubba 'fume a whirl!

drugstore classics

The sweetness level will vary a great deal depending on your individual chemistry.

For me, it seems less cloyingly sweet than Fracas or Carolina Herrera. That said, those are also both gorgeous white florals. Island Gardenia just happens to be my idea of perfection!

aqua76239
aqua76239

I smelled real gardenia's many times because I live in the tropics. They are very fresh, green yet heady and exotic scent. One or two flowers will perfume your whole apartment. However, real gardenias are not very sweet smelling at all. This fragrance is. It reminded me of Fracas very much-which is sweeter, tropical gardenia. Personally I prefer more of greener fresher gardenia scent so I don't think this is for me. However, if you like sweeter, more tropical and exotic variation on the flower, and like Fracas, this is excellent buy. I got mine for less than $12 at Walmart. I don't think its my cup of tea but its a nice scent at very cheap price

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

I smelled this perfume of gardenias since I love anything with gardenia dominant in perfumes, this was a good wow.

This fragrance is very simple, nothing complicated or bold, it has a very warm oily gardenia flowery texture to it that makes it very great to wear and its not offensive to the nose at all when your chemistry is compatible with it of course, so I cant say what really goes into this but I know there 's other ingredients in it that fragrantica forgot to put in, but either way its lovely.

Its a good buy and gift for those that delight in gardenia fragrances and the kind that is very low key in any season and occasion .

AdrianB
AdrianB

Love love this. It's sweet, feminine with a touch of the tropics. I feel like I should be in Hawaii when I wear it. Lovely spring/summer fragrance.

But I can't wear it outside. I am a bee magnet when I wear it and since I'm very allergic to bee venom it's not a good mix.

I'd recommend floral lovers to try it but if you have an allergy BEE very careful.

LilyWhit
LilyWhit

Beautiful pure Gardenia. Perfect. I paid $5 ! I love it !

Museumgal
Museumgal

This is a sweet, tropical, slightly coconut gardenia. Lovely and true scent, wonderful drugstore find for a white floral lover. Full and rich and heady for about the first hour, then a very light close to the skin floral for the next hour or so. It does fade quickly but it's a cologne so not really surprising -- lasts longer with a heavier application. It's inexpensive enough to spray liberally if you like it stronger.

Pari88
Pari88

My Grandma has always worn this, she's been wearing this for as long as I can remember. She is obsessed with anything Gardenia and anytime she comes to visit all I smell is sweet sweet Gardenia. She even had a Gardenia pendant, she also tried to convince my mom to try and plant Gardenias in our city garden lol It's her favorite flower. Well, it suits her blonde hair and blue eyes perfectly, as well as her aloof personality. This is very beautiful and I haven't smelled it in some time because I haven't seen her in quite a while :-( ...well, I recently saw it in a perfume bodega and inhaled it all in.
I highly recommend this beautiful and low cost fragrance. Pure sweet Gardenias without the stems. I love it for Grandmas sake, but love it still :-)

GARDENIA CANDY.
If you want simple, sweet and slightly indolic gardenia, get this. If Sand & Sable is too in your face, get this.
If you don't like gardenia, well, I don't know why you'd be considering this fragrance.

drugstore classics

Lil Odessa ~ yeah! Just DO IT!

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

As a little girl I was absolutely smitten with this: it was a trip to a gorgeous tropical island, all from your local drug store! I loved it so much I bought it for my mother one Christmas, which I'm sorry to say was unappreciated (though she was very subtle about it, bless her!). I'm tempted to get a bottle of it now and wear it secretly, away from my mom!

stacia79
stacia79

The Jovan Island Gardenia is hands down the BEST gardenia perfume I have found in many years of searching. It is a fresh gardenia with just a whisper of a warm nuttiness in the background. A perfect summer scent, I will wear this every year.

614kristaaa
614kristaaa

Lovely. Fresh. Clean. Perfect. Seriously, there's no need to spend your dollars on a more expensive gardenia. This is simple, yet complex enough. Also, if you grab a cheap tube of Bodycology's gardenia body lotion, you'll have an enormous amount of sillage!

bre.emry
bre.emry

I LOVE this. It's so clean and fresh and sweet(sorry for all the and(s) but seriously, this fragrance deserves it.)

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

This sounds soooo nice ! !

Does anyone know if it's available anywhere in the UK and, if so, where ??

Alternatively, does anyone have a bottle available for swap?

kattassah
kattassah

I love the opening notes in this, and the middle, and the end! A creamy smooth gardenia that nets compliments like crazy. It starts out like a sopping wet gardenia, with almost a coconut creamy scent in the back. Once it dries it turns to a white floral scent lightened by a powdery tone. It doesn't last long at all on my skin so I spray it on my hair and clothes and it can last for days! Sillage is only good for a few minutes, until it dries, but I don't really wear perfume for other people anyway.

Mooncatt
Mooncatt

I had a 1/4 oz bottle of this as a trilogy, with Lily of
the Valley and Night Blooming Jasmine. I broke Lily, and can't find my Jungle Gardenia:(. I liked this coconutty, floral scent, though it didn't last long on me. I remember applying it last year, before I moved, so maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

drugstore classics

Yes! You can ~ and that's a good thing in my book too, Lisaivette. I still cannot believe that such a gorgeous and timeless fragrance can be had at Walmart.com for Nine Dollars. Some things in life just do not make sense.....

lisaivette
lisaivette

I think this is a lovely gardenia scent. I thought I could smell a little coconut, which makes it even better!

drugstore classics

There is more than meets the eye here. I even smell ginger or ginger flower notes in the heart, a rather invigorating sensation! No doubt about it - my favorite gardenia scent.

I used to think that gardenia was a no - fail on me, that is until I tried Michael Kors and Kim Kardashian....... Words cannot describe how much my skin hates this type of gardenia. Sour, sour, sour! I think they must be using a different chemical combination to simulate gardenia in recent fumes, as I've NEVER had this problem with the classics containing gardenia.

But that's just my chemistry, and someone who cannot wear traditional gardenia fragrances might want to give Kim Kardashian ( or it's quality generic at Belcamshop.com ) a try.

Gardenia is such a magical and romantic summer scent ~ find one that works for you and everyone will adore you in it! And men DO love this on a woman...

James Lewis
James Lewis

My wife wears this and I love it when she does.This is one of my favorite perfumes in her collection.I just think its awsome!Love it!

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

Very nice. :) A soft gardenia scent that won't overpower you. Nothing cheap smelling about it. I did one spray on my wrist, and I keep getting a whiff of it, so seems like it has decent lasting power and sillage too. A winner for spring and summer in my book.

nananessa
nananessa

'Got this today at Walmart for $11. The top notes are a soft blend of various aldehydes & gardenia.

The aldehydes give the fresh, morning-rained, floral garden bouquet scents, that are very pleasant, complex but NOT overpowering. 'Thinking softer floral bouquet aldehyde blend like No5, just much softer. I sometimes have a difficult initial reaction with certain aldehyde floral-type blends but not with this one. The aldehydes & gardenia top notes are very pleasant.

It is not as intense & long lasting with the potency of the original Tuvache Jungle Gardenia. But it does seem to last well. Middle notes have a slightly cinnamon scent in one of the particular aldehydes. But the gardenia holds well, too.

It lists coumarin,citronellol, jojoba & oakmoss, also. The base notes are very soft with oakmoss.

The list of various aldehydes led me to read the section here on fragrantica about aldehydes. This sophisticated, complex floral bouquet with a classic gardenia scent is very nice, well worth the money.

I also saw a 3 oz bottle of Liz Taylor's Gardenia at TJ Maxx for $15. I just have got to go back & try it, too, since I am a gardenia fiend.

Gardenia is one of my favorites in the white florals. This Island Gardenia is a fragrance that reminds me of walking around my mother's floral gardens early in the morning, after a gentle rain shower at dawn. She had her own little nursery operation since she had so many types of flowers, palms, trees, shrubs, herbs, etc. She had several gardenias planted around her home & property as they grow so well in this SE GA locale & climate. One gardenia near her back deck was nearly as tall as her roof, covered with beautiful large, heavy blossoms. Oh, that fragrance!!! We would walk around together having precious mother-daughter talks, coffee mugs in hands..stopping to enjoy each of her various blossoms & plants, smelling, sometimes breaking leaves or crushing petals...savoring the aromas from her various "diggin-in-de-dirt" pursuits. What very dear memories as she has been gone now almost 2 years.

This fresh, clean, complex floral blend with the sweet, sensual gardenia is a very memorable fragrance. For me, it evokes memories of lovely gardens, flowers, with just the right amount of gardenia. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one!!!

camaral
camaral

IMPORTANT: This is one of those fragrances that needs to aerate (or breathe). I mentioned this in a review about Tommy Bahama, as well. My daughter reports that Tommy Girl requires the same process. Chloe Narcisse is another.
That means spraying it a few times, then allowing the bottle to sit for a day or longer. After purchasing a bottle of Island Gardenia last summer, I was angrily disappointed because it did not connect with all the raving reviews.
However, I gave it another shot just a few days ago. Fabulous! The overpowering spiciness (like raw ginger root from hell) had mellowed significantly, and now expresses as a lovely Hawaiian ginger floral. There also seems to be a faint whisper of honeysuckle, with a smidge of musk. Longevity and sillage are wonderful. I am surprised by its complexity. The perfume pyramid's description could certainly use some modifications.
I can't wait to wear this once the weather warms up!

lemonfreshjoy

This was one of two perfumes I got for Christmas. Times have definately changed. One spritz of Island Gardenia and I gave myself a headache. Over-powering and long-lasting. And while I always got compliments when I was younger, so far I've heard: "dead flowers" or "rotten meat!" The gardenia is still one of my favorite flowers, however, I will be saving this strong, tropical scent for summer.

lemonfreshjoy

This used to be my signature scent and my ex loved the way it smelled on my skin. Before I met him, I also got many compliments from the opposite sex when I wore this. It's available at WalMart for a low price and I hope it still smells the way it did back in the '90s.

beckyboo
beckyboo

This is the most beautiful and accurate gardenia scent I have ever smelled.It has all the rich soapy qualities that one would expect from a creamy white gardenia blossom. The sweetness is well balanced. This perfume fallows you around all day like a happy memory, ever whiff will have you smiling.

sarage
sarage

Island Gardenia was the first perfume I bought myself. I was a high school girl in the States back then. I still remember how the sales lady recommended this to me. I loved it, the smell of gardenias was new to me.

So many compliments I received!
Oh, I wish I could sniff this again. It would be interesting to know if I still love it, if it brings back those memories from my senior year.. across the Atlantic.
It is no longer available, I think.

ChicVixen
ChicVixen

This me brings me back to the late 80s when I was but a young lass and just starting out on her perfume journey, and this was one of my firsts! It reminds me of the gardenia bush in our backyard, but more... Simple, soft, feminine, and classy, Island Gardenia one of those perfumes that withstands the aging process and can truly be one's signature scent for decades.

Aureliev
Aureliev

Very beautiful and tropical, really smell the gardenia with a touch of vanilla which makes it deeper and sunny. really beautiful and cheap!!! If i can, i will buy it again (i bought mine on beautyencounter)

karmas
karmas

very synthetic.....
It actually makes my skin itch too!

astamm62
astamm62

This is a very nice Gardenia scent,the packaging and bottle are simple and not too expensive,but the scent is great.. A scent like Island Gardenia is just as nice and sometimes even nicer than the fragrances that cost an arm and a leg.

melbritt24
melbritt24

Wearing this today with my Yves Rocher Monoi Gardenia Body Oil....luscious summer combo!

I feel like I'm on a island with swaying palms, crystal waters glistening, the warm sun on my face. I'm lying in a hammock as I inhale the fresh gardenia bushes that line the dunes and follow a straight path to the tiki bar!

This frag is available at Walmart stores for $9...don't pass up this inexpensive beauty if you love beachy scents! Oh...and the Monoi Body Oil is on sale right now on the Yves Rocher USA website for $7.50 (50% OFF)!

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

My brother and my dad have always loved this perfume. My dad buys it for my step mom and sprays it around the house. My brother bought it for his wife but she doesn't like it so she gave it to me. I love it. I put it on for the first time and went to starbucks. They guy waiting on me stopped me as I was leaving and asked what I was wearing and said how good it smelled. If you want an inexpensive perfume that drives men wild...this REALLY is it. To me it reminds me of when we were driving in Hawaii and would dip down and there was this smell in the air. It is a really great smelling perfume.

srimati
srimati

Yes, its very subtle and warm but the gardenia comes through very clearly. It's like a tropical flower with Gardenia, I get an abmery or musky note too. For the price its very nice.

millan
millan

This smell beautiful! Its simple and relaxing & sexy in a inocent way. Very femenine ! last like 4 hr on me not bad for the price

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

This is not the most expensive or fanciest fragrance that you will ever try but if you really love gardenia it's for you. Just a real nice gardenia scent at a reasonable price.

nyoka
nyoka

I think this is one of the most beautiful florals ever created.I love gardenias tho.Its like lying in a tub full.no BS to it.Just pure and long lasting.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jovan Island Gardenia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jovan Island Gardenia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Island Gardenia by Jovan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Island Gardenia by Jovan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.