Designers » I-K » Floral « Groups

Island Gardenia Jovan for women

Island Gardenia Jovan for women
dislike

Delicate and wild at the same time, this fragrance was inspired by the beauty of nature. The simple fragrance of a dew drenched soft gardenia warmed by the sun.

It is available as 40 ml cologne spray. Island Gardenia was launched in 1982.

Island Gardenia Fragrance Reviews

seachase
seachase

The average price range for this fragrance is going to be between $9. to $14.
Do NOT let that price fool you into thinking this is a cheap smelling perfume, because this is hands-down the most divine gardenia scent on the market, and trust me, I have smelled them all. Thankfully, my wife agrees with me 100%.
This site obviously doesn't list all the notes in this perfume, because as others have rightly stated, there are some mysterious notes here that really set this frag apart from the others.
Sadly, as with most older frags, it doesn't have the longevity that it used to, but for the unbeatable price you won't mind having to re-apply when needed.
The best part of all is how it is a year-round frangrance, fitting in perfectly with all seasons, night or day, and this is very rare and unique for an exotic, white floral.
If you are shopping around for the best gardenia based perfume, then you have found it. Island Gardenia easily fits into our top ten fragrances of all time, proudly standing next to our Creeds, Chanels and Clive Christians.
Great job by Jovan-Coty, and thanks for keeping it so affordable.
Buying this perfume is that ultra-rare instance of actually getting more than what you pay for.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Oh, gardenia, you are THE note of female seduction. You perfectly walk the line of the "virgin/vamp" mentality, that drives men wild. Even the shape of your blooms, is enough to make men blush. Gardenia is expansive and almost soapy-clean, yet with a heart of sultry carnality; a fresh, sheet of white, floral waxiness, covering clean, hot flesh.

"Jovan's Island Gardenia" is the dichotomy of gardenia, at its finest. It can be trashy and it can be lady-like; that all depends upon its wearer's attitude and dress. This is a wedding AND wedding night fragrance, if you know what I mean. Jovan's gardenia is creamy and indole heavy but very fresh, wet and waxy, so if you prefer a more spare and powdery gardenia, you might want to try one mixed with tuberose or lily, like Estee Lauder's "Tuberose Gardenia", "Fracas" or "White Gardenia Petals" by Boadi or Elizabeth Taylor's "Gardenia".

Jovan's "Island Gardenia" is a lusty, hot, shower-clean, fleshy but fresh gardenia, more along the line of Dana's "Classic Gardenia". If you don't like the actual, skanky-clean dichotomy of real gardenias, you will not like this scent because it accomplishes that conflict, perfectly.

By the way, "Prell" is scented with gardenia-tiare, which is a nod to the monoi oil that became popular in The West as stationed, military men brought it home to their sweethearts in the 1940's, so if you like the smell of "Prell" shampoo, you'll love "Island Gardenia".

dkny27
dkny27

Couldn't agree with the reviews more.... This is an undiscovered gem! Opens with all gardenia, as the title states.. But the sillage, the longevity and the creamy dry down... Wow! It's a floral walk along the beach, after the sun goes down and the wind picks up.

What moves me to sound so emphatic is the quality/delivery of scent vs. the price... Thumbs up!

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

My goodness this is so beautiful. It's back up bottle worthy.

It opens with a waxy, creamy, warm gardenia. It's has that coconut-like smell of a real gardenia right off the bush. It' is the truest gardenia scent I have found. There's some stuff going on behind the gardenia that give it some depth. Some florals (rose and violet maybe) and something a little green in there too. I cannot put into words how well blended and crafted this cheapie is.

The drydown still has a stong gardenia flower thing going on but there is also a clean musk, sweet vanilla and I think almond.

On me the longevity was excellent. I washed it off after 12 hours but it was going strong. The sillage is perfect. it's not a skin scent but you need to be sitting or standing near someone for them to catch whiffs of your divine scent.

I may need to make room in my top five for it.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Island Gardenia smells Divine! I wore this daily in high school. I feel like a girl when I wear it. This kind of Gardenia smells as if it has been dipped into a can of coconut oil. It is so simple, sweet and narcotic that is why I love it so much. It drives me wild! The longevity is really bad but who cares, it costs less than $10! You must love white florals to like this.

spritzedsilly
spritzedsilly

Wonderful gardenia soliflor . The coconut note people smell is actually the way the natural scent is ! I have grown these babies for years . So... no coconut .

I love it .

ialwayssmellgood
ialwayssmellgood

I really like this a lot! I have been wearing this for a few days now, and I think I like the dry down the most. It is odd to me that coconut is not one of the notes described since it smells so much like it. I am a gardenia fanatic and this delights me. The price makes it a steal, too!

Miso-Happy
Miso-Happy

If you're looking for the definite scent of gardenia and you're on a budget then I think this one is pretty great. It reminds me of Kim Kardashian Eau de Toilette Spray, although I'm not sure the longevity lasts as long as Kim's. I usually wear this in combination with Jennifer Aniston's perfume which helps amp up its watery gardenia scent.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I bought this for myself around Christmas time in full-bottle size (usually they sell the minis for like $5.00, which, of course, because I wanted to try it they didn't have it this year).
Anyway - we've had this unending "polar vortex" winter and I'm dying of waiting for summer just so I can give this incredible hothouse, sultry, narcotic, tropical, coconutty, sun-tan lotion, hubba hubba 'fume a whirl!

drugstore classics

The sweetness level will vary a great deal depending on your individual chemistry.

For me, it seems less cloyingly sweet than Fracas or Carolina Herrera. That said, those are also both gorgeous white florals. Island Gardenia just happens to be my idea of perfection!

aqua76239
aqua76239

I smelled real gardenia's many times because I live in the tropics. They are very fresh, green yet heady and exotic scent. One or two flowers will perfume your whole apartment. However, real gardenias are not very sweet smelling at all. This fragrance is. It reminded me of Fracas very much-which is sweeter, tropical gardenia. Personally I prefer more of greener fresher gardenia scent so I don't think this is for me. However, if you like sweeter, more tropical and exotic variation on the flower, and like Fracas, this is excellent buy. I got mine for less than $12 at Walmart. I don't think its my cup of tea but its a nice scent at very cheap price

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

I smelled this perfume of gardenias since I love anything with gardenia dominant in perfumes, this was a good wow.

This fragrance is very simple, nothing complicated or bold, it has a very warm oily gardenia flowery texture to it that makes it very great to wear and its not offensive to the nose at all when your chemistry is compatible with it of course, so I cant say what really goes into this but I know there 's other ingredients in it that fragrantica forgot to put in, but either way its lovely.

Its a good buy and gift for those that delight in gardenia fragrances and the kind that is very low key in any season and occasion .

AdrianB
AdrianB

Love love this. It's sweet, feminine with a touch of the tropics. I feel like I should be in Hawaii when I wear it. Lovely spring/summer fragrance.

But I can't wear it outside. I am a bee magnet when I wear it and since I'm very allergic to bee venom it's not a good mix.

I'd recommend floral lovers to try it but if you have an allergy BEE very careful.

LilyWhit
LilyWhit

Beautiful pure Gardenia. Perfect. I paid $5 ! I love it !

Museumgal
Museumgal

This is a sweet, tropical, slightly coconut gardenia. Lovely and true scent, wonderful drugstore find for a white floral lover. Full and rich and heady for about the first hour, then a very light close to the skin floral for the next hour or so. It does fade quickly but it's a cologne so not really surprising -- lasts longer with a heavier application. It's inexpensive enough to spray liberally if you like it stronger.

Pari88
Pari88

My Grandma has always worn this, she's been wearing this for as long as I can remember. She is obsessed with anything Gardenia and anytime she comes to visit all I smell is sweet sweet Gardenia. She even had a Gardenia pendant, she also tried to convince my mom to try and plant Gardenias in our city garden lol It's her favorite flower. Well, it suits her blonde hair and blue eyes perfectly, as well as her aloof personality. This is very beautiful and I haven't smelled it in some time because I haven't seen her in quite a while :-( ...well, I recently saw it in a perfume bodega and inhaled it all in.
I highly recommend this beautiful and low cost fragrance. Pure sweet Gardenias without the stems. I love it for Grandmas sake, but love it still :-)

GARDENIA CANDY.
If you want simple, sweet and slightly indolic gardenia, get this. If Sand & Sable is too in your face, get this.
If you don't like gardenia, well, I don't know why you'd be considering this fragrance.

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

now you guys have went and done it--i'm ordering a bottle as soon as i'm done cooking dinner!

drugstore classics

Lil Odessa ~ yeah! Just DO IT!

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

As a little girl I was absolutely smitten with this: it was a trip to a gorgeous tropical island, all from your local drug store! I loved it so much I bought it for my mother one Christmas, which I'm sorry to say was unappreciated (though she was very subtle about it, bless her!). I'm tempted to get a bottle of it now and wear it secretly, away from my mom!

stacia79
stacia79

The Jovan Island Gardenia is hands down the BEST gardenia perfume I have found in many years of searching. It is a fresh gardenia with just a whisper of a warm nuttiness in the background. A perfect summer scent, I will wear this every year.

614kristaaa
614kristaaa

Lovely. Fresh. Clean. Perfect. Seriously, there's no need to spend your dollars on a more expensive gardenia. This is simple, yet complex enough. Also, if you grab a cheap tube of Bodycology's gardenia body lotion, you'll have an enormous amount of sillage!

bre.emry
bre.emry

I LOVE this. It's so clean and fresh and sweet(sorry for all the and(s) but seriously, this fragrance deserves it.)

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

This sounds soooo nice ! !

Does anyone know if it's available anywhere in the UK and, if so, where ??

Alternatively, does anyone have a bottle available for swap?

kattassah
kattassah

I love the opening notes in this, and the middle, and the end! A creamy smooth gardenia that nets compliments like crazy. It starts out like a sopping wet gardenia, with almost a coconut creamy scent in the back. Once it dries it turns to a white floral scent lightened by a powdery tone. It doesn't last long at all on my skin so I spray it on my hair and clothes and it can last for days! Sillage is only good for a few minutes, until it dries, but I don't really wear perfume for other people anyway.

Mooncatt
Mooncatt

I had a 1/4 oz bottle of this as a trilogy, with Lily of
the Valley and Night Blooming Jasmine. I broke Lily, and can't find my Jungle Gardenia:(. I liked this coconutty, floral scent, though it didn't last long on me. I remember applying it last year, before I moved, so maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

drugstore classics

Yes! You can ~ and that's a good thing in my book too, Lisaivette. I still cannot believe that such a gorgeous and timeless fragrance can be had at Walmart.com for Nine Dollars. Some things in life just do not make sense.....

lisaivette
lisaivette

I think this is a lovely gardenia scent. I thought I could smell a little coconut, which makes it even better!

drugstore classics

There is more than meets the eye here. I even smell ginger or ginger flower notes in the heart, a rather invigorating sensation! No doubt about it - my favorite gardenia scent.

I used to think that gardenia was a no - fail on me, that is until I tried Michael Kors and Kim Kardashian....... Words cannot describe how much my skin hates this type of gardenia. Sour, sour, sour! I think they must be using a different chemical combination to simulate gardenia in recent fumes, as I've NEVER had this problem with the classics containing gardenia.

But that's just my chemistry, and someone who cannot wear traditional gardenia fragrances might want to give Kim Kardashian ( or it's quality generic at Belcamshop.com ) a try.

Gardenia is such a magical and romantic summer scent ~ find one that works for you and everyone will adore you in it! And men DO love this on a woman...

oona noir
oona noir

I have not had a good history with gardenia- I don't like Chanel Gardenia, Marc Jacobs or Kai (oil). So when I bought Island Gardenia blind, I thought I must be losing my mind. But it worked out! I really like this one. I might even love it. This might be the gardenia for gardenia haters.
Edit: I've figured out why I love it. Other major notes in this beside gardenia are ginger and leather. I think too often gardenia is paired with things I don't enjoy, but ginger and leather? Yes, please!
Edit: After more research, I don't think it's leather, it's oakmoss. Still learning the different notes. :)

James Lewis
James Lewis

My wife wears this and I love it when she does.This is one of my favorite perfumes in her collection.I just think its awsome!Love it!

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

Very nice. :) A soft gardenia scent that won't overpower you. Nothing cheap smelling about it. I did one spray on my wrist, and I keep getting a whiff of it, so seems like it has decent lasting power and sillage too. A winner for spring and summer in my book.

nananessa
nananessa

'Got this today at Walmart for $11. The top notes are a soft blend of various aldehydes & gardenia.

The aldehydes give the fresh, morning-rained, floral garden bouquet scents, that are very pleasant, complex but NOT overpowering. 'Thinking softer floral bouquet aldehyde blend like No5, just much softer. I sometimes have a difficult initial reaction with certain aldehyde floral-type blends but not with this one. The aldehydes & gardenia top notes are very pleasant.

It is not as intense & long lasting with the potency of the original Tuvache Jungle Gardenia. But it does seem to last well. Middle notes have a slightly cinnamon scent in one of the particular aldehydes. But the gardenia holds well, too.

It lists coumarin,citronellol, jojoba & oakmoss, also. The base notes are very soft with oakmoss.

The list of various aldehydes led me to read the section here on fragrantica about aldehydes. This sophisticated, complex floral bouquet with a classic gardenia scent is very nice, well worth the money.

I also saw a 3 oz bottle of Liz Taylor's Gardenia at TJ Maxx for $15. I just have got to go back & try it, too, since I am a gardenia fiend.

Gardenia is one of my favorites in the white florals. This Island Gardenia is a fragrance that reminds me of walking around my mother's floral gardens early in the morning, after a gentle rain shower at dawn. She had her own little nursery operation since she had so many types of flowers, palms, trees, shrubs, herbs, etc. She had several gardenias planted around her home & property as they grow so well in this SE GA locale & climate. One gardenia near her back deck was nearly as tall as her roof, covered with beautiful large, heavy blossoms. Oh, that fragrance!!! We would walk around together having precious mother-daughter talks, coffee mugs in hands..stopping to enjoy each of her various blossoms & plants, smelling, sometimes breaking leaves or crushing petals...savoring the aromas from her various "diggin-in-de-dirt" pursuits. What very dear memories as she has been gone now almost 2 years.

This fresh, clean, complex floral blend with the sweet, sensual gardenia is a very memorable fragrance. For me, it evokes memories of lovely gardens, flowers, with just the right amount of gardenia. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one!!!

camaral
camaral

IMPORTANT: This is one of those fragrances that needs to aerate (or breathe). I mentioned this in a review about Tommy Bahama, as well. My daughter reports that Tommy Girl requires the same process. Chloe Narcisse is another.
That means spraying it a few times, then allowing the bottle to sit for a day or longer. After purchasing a bottle of Island Gardenia last summer, I was angrily disappointed because it did not connect with all the raving reviews.
However, I gave it another shot just a few days ago. Fabulous! The overpowering spiciness (like raw ginger root from hell) had mellowed significantly, and now expresses as a lovely Hawaiian ginger floral. There also seems to be a faint whisper of honeysuckle, with a smidge of musk. Longevity and sillage are wonderful. I am surprised by its complexity. The perfume pyramid's description could certainly use some modifications.
I can't wait to wear this once the weather warms up!

lemonfreshjoy

This was one of two perfumes I got for Christmas. Times have definately changed. One spritz of Island Gardenia and I gave myself a headache. Over-powering and long-lasting. And while I always got compliments when I was younger, so far I've heard: "dead flowers" or "rotten meat!" The gardenia is still one of my favorite flowers, however, I will be saving this strong, tropical scent for summer.

lemonfreshjoy

This used to be my signature scent and my ex loved the way it smelled on my skin. Before I met him, I also got many compliments from the opposite sex when I wore this. It's available at WalMart for a low price and I hope it still smells the way it did back in the '90s.

beckyboo
beckyboo

This is the most beautiful and accurate gardenia scent I have ever smelled.It has all the rich soapy qualities that one would expect from a creamy white gardenia blossom. The sweetness is well balanced. This perfume fallows you around all day like a happy memory, ever whiff will have you smiling.

sarage
sarage

Island Gardenia was the first perfume I bought myself. I was a high school girl in the States back then. I still remember how the sales lady recommended this to me. I loved it, the smell of gardenias was new to me.

So many compliments I received!
Oh, I wish I could sniff this again. It would be interesting to know if I still love it, if it brings back those memories from my senior year.. across the Atlantic.
It is no longer available, I think.

ChicVixen
ChicVixen

This me brings me back to the late 80s when I was but a young lass and just starting out on her perfume journey, and this was one of my firsts! It reminds me of the gardenia bush in our backyard, but more... Simple, soft, feminine, and classy, Island Gardenia one of those perfumes that withstands the aging process and can truly be one's signature scent for decades.

Aureliev
Aureliev

Very beautiful and tropical, really smell the gardenia with a touch of vanilla which makes it deeper and sunny. really beautiful and cheap!!! If i can, i will buy it again (i bought mine on beautyencounter)

karmas
karmas

very synthetic.....
It actually makes my skin itch too!

astamm62
astamm62

This is a very nice Gardenia scent,the packaging and bottle are simple and not too expensive,but the scent is great.. A scent like Island Gardenia is just as nice and sometimes even nicer than the fragrances that cost an arm and a leg.

melbritt24
melbritt24

Wearing this today with my Yves Rocher Monoi Gardenia Body Oil....luscious summer combo!

I feel like I'm on a island with swaying palms, crystal waters glistening, the warm sun on my face. I'm lying in a hammock as I inhale the fresh gardenia bushes that line the dunes and follow a straight path to the tiki bar!

This frag is available at Walmart stores for $9...don't pass up this inexpensive beauty if you love beachy scents! Oh...and the Monoi Body Oil is on sale right now on the Yves Rocher USA website for $7.50 (50% OFF)!

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

My brother and my dad have always loved this perfume. My dad buys it for my step mom and sprays it around the house. My brother bought it for his wife but she doesn't like it so she gave it to me. I love it. I put it on for the first time and went to starbucks. They guy waiting on me stopped me as I was leaving and asked what I was wearing and said how good it smelled. If you want an inexpensive perfume that drives men wild...this REALLY is it. To me it reminds me of when we were driving in Hawaii and would dip down and there was this smell in the air. It is a really great smelling perfume.

Kiku
Kiku

Not liking gardenia perfumes, I never even tried this one until a few days ago. The opening was everything I dislike about gardenia perfumes: synthetic, too sweet, and as obvious as a train wreck. But within a few minutes that smack-you-in-the-head gardenia scent disappeared and was replaced with something divine. A fragrance provocative but subtle, soft and complex. Layers and layers of notes yet none overpowered any others, a perfume in perfect balance. It smelled like a perfume I've been trying to find for 20 years: vintage My Sin. A little citrusy, a little white flowers, oriental notes in the base. Sillage and lasting power were teriffic.

srimati
srimati

Yes, its very subtle and warm but the gardenia comes through very clearly. It's like a tropical flower with Gardenia, I get an abmery or musky note too. For the price its very nice.

millan
millan

This smell beautiful! Its simple and relaxing & sexy in a inocent way. Very femenine ! last like 4 hr on me not bad for the price

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

This is not the most expensive or fanciest fragrance that you will ever try but if you really love gardenia it's for you. Just a real nice gardenia scent at a reasonable price.

nyoka
nyoka

I think this is one of the most beautiful florals ever created.I love gardenias tho.Its like lying in a tub full.no BS to it.Just pure and long lasting.

Island Gardenia by Jovan 4.02 out of 5 based on 114 ratings and 49 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jovan Island Gardenia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jovan Island Gardenia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Island Gardenia by Jovan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Island Gardenia by Jovan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.