Designers » I-K » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

Sex Appeal Jovan for men

Sex Appeal Jovan for men
dislike

A provocative and stimulating mixture of rare spices and herbs was created for men with the only purpose of seducing women.

It is available as 80 ml Cologne Spray and 100 ml aftershave.

Spices Green Notes

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
KL Homme

Sex Appeal Fragrance Reviews

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

not bad for a cheap juice i like it

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

good for the winter - it blasts through the cold and lasts a while. smells mostly like sandalwood I think, and very cologne-y (of course). got this like 17 years ago and still have it. strong, so don't need to apply much at all. was cheap as hell. not an expensive smelling fragrance though either, but it is satisfactory if only applied a little bit.

Mancorp
Mancorp

Years ago, a relative got me a splash bottle as a joke Christmas gift. I loved it. Liberally applied it every time I knew I was going to see him. shamus1, who knows his patchouli, is right to call this a patchouli bomb. There's also spices I can't immediately place. Cloves? Carnation? In any case, the slightly powdery drydown is lovely.

wbissar
wbissar

like my review on Jovan Musk, they don't make them like that any more!!! fantastic stuff that is cheaper than mu pizza!!

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Lovely.

The opening is spicy/masculine, and rapidly dries down to a spicy warmth that I find to be unisex and particularly appealing. As a woman, I admire but cannot wear Old Spice. For some reason, my skin appreciates Jovan's take on spicy wood better!

A surprisingly versatile and quality fragrance....

5 stars!

KJS88
KJS88

My parents were and are total Christmas nuts. Every year until we were 21, we got a stocking and a sack filled with all kinds of useful goodies. We were practical kids, and it was a way for mum and dad to make sure we had plenty of socks, undies, t-shirts, undershirts and what-not for the coming year.

And every year between the age of 12 and 21 (quite recently for me), me and my two brothers always got the same range of "cheapie everyday" fragrances in our stocking or sack, without fail. It was always Jovan Musk, Jovan Sex Appeal, Avon Black Sudede, and Tabac Original in spray cologne, deodorant stick, and several cans of body spray.

My favourites were always Jovan Sex Appeal and Avon's Black Suede.

Of course we got nicer fragrances for occassional use, but these were the every day fragrances we wore to high school and other mundane things.

So many memories both negative and positive in this!

What drew me to Sex Appeal was not the cheap, kitschy, 70s name. I hated that aspect of it.

It was the fact that it smelled like the long-discontinued Lagerfeld for Men. The spicy oriental one, launched in 1986, not the one now known as Lagerfeld Classic.

It had, and still has, the same orangy-balmy-spicy-vaguely incensy character and smell as the Lagerfeld.

I always got loads, and loads of compliments on it, and I felt good wearing it.

Must track down a bottle of old time's sake.

ClutchC
ClutchC

This does remind me of a higher-quality, longer-lasting old spice. Really nice in spite of the cheesy name.

Liberty Freak 1776
Liberty Freak 1776

I'll review more fully later, but I thought I would risk blasphemy and start by saying that this reminds me quite a bit of a less complicated Guerlain Sous le Vent. Their overall impression is quite similar.

Steppero

Update. Don't think i can bring myself to like this. It has a 70's style to it, and i can't say the ladies even liked this stuff.

Steppero

This is a weird kinda scent. not sure if i like it or hate it yet, but i can't stop sniffing it on my arm for some reason. It smells kinda like those cinnamin spicey lollies you can buy. This will either drive the ladies wild, or make them run away from you. I will report back on my findings in a few days

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Revised review:

On second thought, Jovan Sex Appeal smells very good (this I realized a while ago elsewhere, but wanted to mention it here).

I'm certain Sex Appeal is the nicest of the current crop of Jovans (most of which are throw-backs to the seventies, S.A. included). What is remarkable about it is how the fresh lavender and rich amber interact to form a unique accord, rather woody, a little sweet (thanks to vanilla), and a touch anisic. There's also a lot of powdery patchouli in there. It reminds me of Pierre Cardin PM cologne and Bois du Portugal, with a woody richness that never loses its fresh edge, and works fine on cooler autumn days. Ingredient quality is remarkably good, and the formula as it stands today could not be improved upon by anything.

Well worth the $14 I paid for 4 ounces. It smells like anything that used to go for $50.

vaibsankhla
vaibsankhla

masculine.
complex.

poor longevity but beast projection. (EDC strength)

smells extremely good for the money.
very strong opening.

I usually do not care what females think of what i wear but very attractive girls have complemented nicely about this fragrance.
Was my signature for a long time but it got replaced by encre noire!

UNDERATED gem in my opinion,

suhaesa
suhaesa

i think this perfume is a hippie.. patchouli.. woodsy ..ambery.. musky.. bomb..and i have to admit that it smells like strong older perfumes.. and more on the feminine side.. but can be worn by both.. its the kind of perfume that really works with your skin chemistry..
sexappeal..hmm the name is somewhat true ..for it has that sexual vibe.. to it.. its an ethnic perfume ..a cult perfume ..a perfume made for those with a strong heart.. and it needs a man or a woman with guts.. who doesn't give a dam about what others think ..its a perfume in sync with nature.. with sexuality.. with human nature..it reminds me of all the old bridal ethnic natural perfumes.. made in africa and india and its believed to be an aphrodisiac..for many centuries.. so i am sure there is some truth to it ..
in the modern era it reminds me a lot of opium from yves saint laurent the vintage one.. and it reminds me of cynnabar from estee lauder..also a bit from princess hippie from des filles a la vanille patchouli and reminiscence patchouli..
the only thing i dislike is the violet notes the lavender but it s whats making it more on the masculine side ..so its a perfect blending or layering perfume.. you can add vanilla..sandalwood.. and many other endless oriental deep woodsy notes.. to get rid of the subtle cheapness and add depth and warmth which already exists but on a cheaper level..
it develops and warms up and turns smokey woodsy a bit powdery and a lot of patchouli and incense ..its an insane perfume from the 60 ies !

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Smells rather feminine and cheap. I wasn't impressed by it and neither was my wife, who made a stink face when she smelled my arm.

------

Update: On a whim, while in a Wal-Mart, I tried it again on my arm. For some reason it now smells better to me! Did I have a bad tester before or... what? Anyway, it's a nice spicy scent... with good longevity. I've come around to Tania Sanchez' way of thinking on this one. I now believe that this is one of the better drugstore scents.

I don't smell anything "green" in this, either. It's all spices.

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Strong patchouli/musk combo in the base. Pervasive.

Riding over the stern patchouli base is the spices, which are quite pleasant.

Colossal silage and marathon longevity... from ONE spray! I thought I would be anosmic to it by now after several hours, but I can still smell it as strongly as I did when I first put it on.

Take Givenchy Gentleman, mix with Old Spice, ferment in contact cement for a day or two.

James Lewis
James Lewis

I really dont care for this stuff.Sex Appeal smells like the stinky bastard child of Old Spice and Pierre Cardin,it just isnt very good.

Bobster
Bobster

I remember growing up always wanting to be like my older brother. I wanted to dress like him, smell like him, heck I wanted to be him and so it is with sex appeal. He never quite catches up with his older brother. Take all the qualities of Jovan and split in half and you have sex appeal. Half projection. Half longevity. Half the smell. Half the duration. Definitely not a bad scent just not for me.

ericrico
ericrico

Great reviews here - none better than K1's! Shamus1 nails the scent's composition...this is truly a deep, earthy patchouli, nicely spiced (rich baking spices & a nice clove note), warm amber in the base, a touch of wood and a nice musk scent (that is a bit dirty). Awesome.

Nothing "green" to my nose either - except a little bite of herbaceousness in the patchouli itself. I have a Vintage Splash (4oz bottle) that I adore. I tried the latest spray in the store and it smelled close, but the patchouli was too heavy & smelled smoky/burnt upon application and then it faded to a light skin scent - rather odd. It did stay for a while, but I like to apply this by splashing it on...different vibe and feel. My old juice is very balanced and like K1 says...memories in a bottle! I watched that World Cup in '94! I love the old box and the marketing lines they print on it - cheesy as hell! They might as well tape a condom on the box and say "Wear With Caution". ;-)

Jokes aside...this is seriously good stuff. My collection of Vintage Musks would not be complete without this. Jovan's line of musks are very different from one another. To have this, Vintage Musk for Men, Vintage White Musk and other great bottles from the 70's and 80's in my cabinet is just pure fun and you will not smell like everyone else out there. Wear a nice splash of Jovan Sex Appeal, a high-end T-shirt and designer jeans and your hair slicked back on a warm summer day (or throw on a leather jacket over the top in the cooler weather) - but just throw your attitude around with your scent. You will get noticed.

Macho as hell...nothing that smells this good will ever go out of style. Period.

rayees
rayees

Yes all time hit. Olden day we you say that this is how the GULF will smell :)

karthiktas
karthiktas

Very Nice for me. The projection works up to 2 to 3 hrs & Longevity up to 4 to 5 hrs on my skin, then it gets close to the skin. Some likes , some doesnt

preetmonger
preetmonger

I agree with shamus1, I detect nothing 'green' in this juice. Sex Appeal is a 100% macho 70s spice bomb. This came out the year I entered the University, and it is a 'balls to the wall' man's fragrance. What is most appealing to me is that Sex Appeal is a truly masculine frag, yet it is not in any way overpowering (i.e., you can't overspray this one). It projects nicely, yet is not in any way obtrusive. It has 12+ hour longevity on my skin, and projects perfectly. It isn't a powerhouse frag (which I tend to gravitate towards), but I think it is one that anyone who enjoys spicy masculines should have in their wardrobe.

shamus1
shamus1

The pyramid listed above is totally wrong. There is nothing green about this. Sex Appeal For Men is an oriental PATCHOULI BOMB! It smells like almost all patchouli, with some rosewood and amber added to give it a little warmth and sweetness.

That being said, I love this fragrance. Powerful, spicy, long lasting and macho, it's a great powerhouse from the Seventies.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

sexy, manly, spicey scent...when sprayed on the chest it creates a warm, comforting place where a lady can lay her head so she feels cosy & safe and in love with her hubby....

Kannantas
Kannantas

Good Perfume. Strong enough to attract women. But some will dislike the smell. I like it. It holds up tp 3 to 4 hrs.

Kharnak
Kharnak

Doesn't smell Anything like Obsession, Old Spice, or Opium! oh come on now.
No doubt, This is a Spice Bomb! Like sniffing into a pantry spice rack. I can clearly make out... Cumin, Caraway,Coriander... perhaps Marjoram and Sage, and...Turmeric? almost like sweet Jamaican Curry Powder. Some Vanilla, something sweet, almost like Honey Musk. Dries steady & linearly without changing much, but the Curry powdery sweetens out nice.
*sniiiiiff* The top Note has a sweet Licorice/Anise vibe.
Not really bad at all, i used to wear this to work, and it does generate random compliments. a budget fragrance. It's a Spice "Bazaar Bargain"

Labaloo
Labaloo

I am astounded to see this one listed- ha! This was the very-first cologne that I picked out for myself as a teen in about '82- and I still have the old bottle, and it still smells the same as it did back then!

I remember the first time sniffing the tester at the store, drawn by its (then-) racy title, and thinking: this is what I need! It's actually a nice fragrance. I wear it once in a very-great while- just to bring back those days: oakmoss, sandalwood, amber with a restrained touch of patchouli and juniper (maybe?), brightened with citrus, mystified with the faintest whiff of cloves and cassia bark. Quite delicious- still. I would classify it as a "spicy chypre". I have not smelled the newer reformulation.

behzad1280
behzad1280

Those years, we were teen and we have been buying and wearing it stealthy out of our parent’s sight!
Nowadays I still like this stuff and use it time to time for casual dating! It is something that I can’t explain but I can like forever.

این عطر رو هم بعد از جووان-ماسک دوست دارم و منو به خاطرات خوب و شیرین دور می‌بره. خیلی از دوستان عقیده دارن که این از جووان-ماسک بهتره. نمیدونم .. شاید .. اما مطمئناً دوام و پخش بیشتری داره
به هر حال شما دارین عطر ارزون قیمت و دلچسبی رو میزنید که قراره جذابیت جنسی شما رو زیاد کنه مثلاً
درواقع باید بگم احتمالاً خودتون بیشتر از هر کس دیگه‌ای از خودتون خوشتون خواهد اومد

tutu1234
tutu1234

Simply a classic. A bomb load of spices...simply seductive.....A must have as it does not cost much! Highly recommended.

K1
K1

For me it's a nostalgic perfume from the time that I was a teenager boy. It's completely men's perfume and really sexy was for that time, but unfortunately, today most of girl don't like it. People believe it's too hot and harsh. But I never give up! It's all of my youth memories, seashore, young girls who were older than us! We were naughty! Hot summers and lemon ice-cream, bicycle and no computer days and billiards at summer nights in the sea cafes! The days that air was cleaner and sex was a dream! The first cigarettes just for attracting girls! Perfume of the days that we used to spend times with Sandra, Madonna and M.Jackson. The days of World cup 94 America that Brazil won again! Wow! It's all of my youth.
Its longevity is strangely strong and lasts for long without filling your nose and you always smell it! Really!
Its sillage is powerful also that when you splash it (my bottle is splash not spray), it covers you as a shield has around 3 meters density!

Sheridan
Sheridan

I am a "girlie-girl" woman and like Nyoka said earlier, I absolutely love this for myself.

Jovan made a companion to this one, "Sex Appeal for Women", and I wore it back when it was introduced in the mid to late 70's. It was truly one of the most wonderful fragrances I've ever experienced and I gathered many, many compliments whenever I wore it. The fragrance lasted many hours and it just got better and better.

And then... I couldn't find it any more and I moved on to other fragrances, and over time, pretty much forgot it ever existed.

A year or so ago something tweaked my memory of it and began a search for the women's version and came up completely empty handed, not showing up anywhere for any price. I happened to stumble across the men's version today on the lower shelf, in a dusty box, and grabbed a whiff from an unsealed box.... Ahhhhh! Yes, it's a little different from what I remember the woman's version (but that was what? 35+ years ago?), but I really like the extra spiciness of the men's. The men's version smells just as good, if not better, than what I remember. Of course I bought it!

I'm in Nirvana this afternoon!

andy
andy

this stuff stands out for it's price range and is a VERY nice budget cologne

PieRat
PieRat

Very nice fragrance. This will defintely be in my rotation. You know this sort of reminds me of amber youth dew nude for women, but with a masculine edge.

I can see how some would find this sexy, it is a woody, earthy musky type scent.

I retried this after being very impressed by Black Musk (mens) and Ginseng NRG. Alas, it is not for me and I can't figure out why. I love patchouli's earthy dirtiness and sandalwood is heavenly...but this is just too 'something' for me.

It is not exactly "old" smelling, maybe it is the aldehydes in it, and maybe it was the fact it was an after shave splash I smelled...I will have to try the spray and see if it is any better.

guest_Menace O.N.E
guest_Menace O.N.E

Works in seconds. I gotten a great responce from really sexy women. I recomend it next to pheromones.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A spicy fragrance thats got some freshness in there - for a cheap one it's not bad but I'll stick to Jovan Musk

nyoka
nyoka

OK,heres my exoerience.I am a very,very,not masculine woman.I love this stuff.IT is cheap,huge bottle,and smells like the sexiest perfume there is on me.lasts like crazy.If it were introduced now as a new sexy scent,far more would love it.

ZeeK
ZeeK

Ditto of Old Spice Classic.
OS is better.
But i cant endure both of them.

Sex Appeal by Jovan 3.56 out of 5 based on 135 ratings and 37 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jovan Sex Appeal fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jovan Sex Appeal, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sex Appeal by Jovan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sex Appeal by Jovan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.