Designers » I-K » Woody Spicy « Groups

Woman Jovan for women

Woman Jovan for women
dislike

Woman Jovan for women Videos

An exotic blend of spices, orange flower and ylang-ylang highlight this extraordinary bouquet. Exotic spices of nutmeg and coriander accent the sultry woody, ambered base. Woman was launched in 1976.

African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Nutmeg Coriander Spices Woodsy Notes Amber

Cachet
Canturi
Les Orientaux: Chypre d`Orient

Woman Fragrance Reviews

emt1986
emt1986

Another great scent by Jovan! Woman's ultra-woody opening reminds me of Chanel No. 5, and the drydown is very similar to a somewhat dryer version of Giorgio Red's with the ambery spice (minus the fruit here). In between there is gorgeous white floral. Like so many of my favorites, this could easily go unisex. As far as sillage goes, this is a nice, strong fragrance without being overwhelming, and the longevity can't be beat. I think the name comes into play to differentiate it as something for GROWN-UP gals as opposed to girls, versus denoting femininity. Woman is very unique and expensive smelling, proving yet again that the world of modern perfumery can't hold a candle to these drugstore classics and retro powerhouses if you appreciate character and endurance at an affordable price. Under $15 with free Prime shipping on Amazon.

armacoonsum

And I thought it was just me. ;) Definitely off to purchase Jovan Woman, like, now.

lemonzest

Armacoonsum, I hear "Peaceful Easy Feeling." That girl with the sparkling earrings that he wants to sleep with in the desert...she's wearing Jovan Woman.
Ha, love the Ciara reference, but Ciara gives me Chaka Khan's "Tell Me Something Good," especially the bass line and talk box...

armacoonsum

lemonzest- not a review, just a question... was the Eagles song "I Can't Tell You Why"? ... Because that is what I hear the second I smell Ciara. :)

lemonzest

So gorgeous and so 70's!! Tried it this morning and immediately got an Eagles song in my head.

Coriander just bursts in this scent. I went to the kitchen to smell actual coriander and yep, that is definitely what sets Woman apart.
This is a seriously beautiful fragrance with great longevity, a shock since none of my other Jovans last at all. Lots of spicy musk in the dry down. This is called Woman but it would be totally amazing on a man as well.

As others have said, Woman could pass for an expensive fragrance because it is polished and complex.
Green yet incense-y, just perfect.

enigmaticessence
enigmaticessence

On my skin I've never liked the musky Jovan's , so this scent came as a delightful surprise. It's like a lightly spiced non-sweet, sparkling soft drink, just made to pick you up on a wilting summer day. Or, Pellegrino with something added. Yes, the fizz and slightly bitter edge is there.

When I originally tried this the greenness came through and makes me think of someone else. Giving it time I've become more comfortable with it and aware that Coriander is something you must get used to to appreciate. It took me a whole year of testing to stretch my nose. Try, try again!

It's quality has always been apparent. This belongs among the best classics, and sometimes the most misunderstood. I wear this just to freshen up through out the day, as it layers well with a variety of other scents. Oakmoss and wood add a touch of earthy dimension, making this an obvious chypre.

Fair longevity and better sillage than you realize while wearing it.

valenceis
valenceis

My mother was too much of a purist to spray perfume. Something about the act was too whorish for her. She opted instead for bath products that would scent her subtly and naturally. I remember her having a big bottle of Jovan Woman lotion in her cabinet and I would smell it as a child and melt. It was just the right amount of sexy without being an over-stimulation of the senses - worn properly, it smelled like clean, musky, sexy skin. Very grown up. All my life I waited to be mature enough to wield this type of sensuality.

Oakmossy chypre - with a sort of high pitched, soapy musk. Some mid tone florals that lend some earthiness to the overall chord. If you like original Halston and the like, this could be your cup of tea. It's a little bit more airy in the dry down. It definitely is a more "lived in" experience. I imagine it sprayed on sheets and perfect ivory silk blouses. Clean, yet primal.

LuLuGoes
LuLuGoes

Yikes. I love Jovan Musk for Women, Jovan White Musk for Women, and Jovan Secret Amber.

I like the smell of Jovan Woman from the bottle. I have a recently purchased 2.0 oz spray cologne concentrate. But something in this doesn't agree with me.

It feels like my body is allergic to it. Maybe it's the benzophenone load listed right at the top of the ingredients. (Benzophenone is used to prevent light from damaging scents and colors in products such as perfumes and soaps).

I can see why people like this. It is a very strong, warm, and woody yet feminine blend that does smell more expensive than it really is. Jovan Woman changes/evolves as it dries down. It gets softer. But I am still feeling like I have no future with this one.

beaglebaileysmom
beaglebaileysmom

Yes, it is available. I bought a bottle 10 days ago (February 2015) at Kmart in Colorado. Walgreens website says they have it in certain stores too. I like it more than I expected. Definitely makes you think of the 1970s. It kind of fulfills my craving for Givenchy III, not that they are the same, but they "feel" very similar to me if that makes any sense.

heather62
heather62

I used to wear this back in the 90's and had lots of compliments on it. Was eager to try it again, but whoa. So so so green. I love green but there is a note in this that I cannot wear. Had to return it.

Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising

One of my all time favorite scents, difficult to find which I like as I don't like to smell like everyone else. Unusual, sexy, spicy and warm. Lovely scent, exotic, sensual and intoxicating. Always get compliments and it lingers quite a long time. It's getting harder to find, so I will purchase backups so I can continue to enjoy this wonderfully feminine fragrance.

WildDove
WildDove

One of the best classic chypres, with prominent leather and patchouli in addition to the notes above. Reminds me a lot of vintage Cabochard.

ks30
ks30

It seems that the newer reformulation looks like the bottle pictured above except that the word "By" next to Jovan is not present. Can anyone confirm? by Bigsly

You are correct. Still smells great!

Quick dab sampling: Reminds me of vintage Cachet.

krmarich
krmarich

I discovered an original bottle from circa 1980 with a price sticker $3.99 in a wonderful perfume endowment today. I would have never considered something called "Woman". Its pretty rugged and has a few whiskers IMO. Its a woody chypre that moves into the realm of SEXBOMB-70s style. This is from the era when sex was safe and cars weren't!

I cannot believe the quality of this marvel. The ingredients rivaled the top fashion houses of the day. I get lots of oakmoss, vetiver and patchouli in here that are not listed. There has to be some leather and castorium too! The floral notes of a little neroli, ylang ylang and jasmine are minor supporting roles. This is much more masculine than I imagined.

This is a feathered hair and faded denim casual style that was probably used to create the next generation in the backseat of Pontiac Firebirds across the country! Its a little sleazy yet ever so brilliant.

Its a true classic that everyone needs to try. Of course most readers under 30 will have never heard of Jovan and its drugstore wonders. Ah, the perfume world was so much more interesting in the 1970s!

bonnie52
bonnie52

I wore Woman on my 1st wedding day in 1979. It is a lovely scent; very feminine and warm and sexy. Unfortunately, my love of this scent lasted longer than my love of the husband ; )

notkatehepburn
notkatehepburn

I don't wear this personally. This is my mother's scent, exactly what she's worn since the 70's. I have to grab a bottle and smell it every time I see it.

It's a beautiful deep warm scent.

Osusanna
Osusanna

Very spicy and deep. This fragrance is unlike anything else I have encountered before. To some it may smell dated, to others classic as it does to me. Classic fragrances such as this one are superbly blended and one note does not trump another, magically smelling like a mysterious concoction. This fragrance does not have leather as a note, but I smell it anyway, along with the spices and the light florals. There's no oakmoss in there either, but this is clearly a chypre and I can smell oakmoss also. For a bargain buy, this is exclusively elegant and well done from Jovan. They should re-market this one without changing the formula. Great lasting power, although I am unsure of the sillage. I get the impression that this stays close to the skin but I may be wrong. This fragrance requires business casual dress.

mmiched
mmiched

I have the pure parfum version which is extremely rare. I detested the smell when my nose touched the bottle but decided to try a drop. To my surprise the drydown was so nice! It is a woody, spicy gorgeous scent!

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

I discovered Woman by Jovan some years back at the cosmetics counter at CVS. My mom had a couple Jovan fragrances in the 70's which sat in her powder room collecting dust. If she wore anything in those days, it would have been those musks. I never liked musks that Jovan and others began putting out during the seventies. To me they smelled animalistic to the point of turning my stomach, but they were the hot trend for quite some time, I recall. I am usually pretty broad minded concerning fragrances, but I simply couldnot see any redeeming qualites in these,they just smelled awful to me.
I pretty much have seen Woman since it' release being displayed at CVS. It never was something you had to search out do discover. I remember thinking "Jovan, show me I can like one of your fragrances!!"
I was surprised at how incongruous the scent and it's price. It's a beautiful woody, spicy and sweet mixture with a mossy, soft drydown with a hint of powder. It lasts as well.
If I think only about this fragrance's scent, and block thinking about it's price and brand, my thoughts never wander to " cheap smelling ." Why, for's price, there is no comparison in quality.
I agree with Fragrantica's reviewers who say
consider a fragrance's effect, not it's price or it's designer.

Jungle Jane
Jungle Jane

Woman is a cologne that I've been wearing since the 70's. Not on and off, literally since the 70's.

I cannot wear it on any given day with out someone giving me a compliment or asking "what are you wearing?" My local Walgreens shot up in price to over $17.50...I then went to Walmart, all out, 3 different Walmarts, all out... this is getting scary, what are those that love this cologne going to do? I have purchased 6 bottles today online for a little over $14.59 per bottle , I went to several sites that were sold out!! Coty that is the parent company for Jovan did not have Woman listed as a product....curious. As long as I can get it I will be pacified, when it is no longer available, I will be crushed.

Adrien02
Adrien02

Purchased at my local Walgreen's for under $18.00 after seeing the ridiculous prices on Ebay (Ka-ching!!). I sprayed it as soon as I returned to my car and was immediately transported back to years ago when I first wore it. It evoked many good memories of youth and a carefree time in my life. The amber-woody note at the end lasts and lasts. Worth the high and low search.

I used to wear this in the '80s - '90s and it is still as loooong lasting as I remembered back then. Perhaps my olfactory senses have changed since then because I am detecting a note that makes it nauseous at times. I can only think it may be the coriander, but I still love it and am glad I found a lost love.

lmf22purple
lmf22purple

Fell in love with this scent when it came in a bottle that mated with Man by Jovan back in the 70s. Was my signature scent through college.

It's feminine without being flowery with a clean woody base. My first chypre and I still love it. Similar to Paloma Picasso, only for a woman who knows who she is and what she wants.

Ladyofthe80s
Ladyofthe80s

Love love Woman by Jovan. Wore it way back in the late 70's into the early 80's, and I think its one of the best fragrances ever made by Jovan. And that's a compliment to this brand, because back in the 70's Jovan came out with some FABULOUS fragrances that were off the charts. Seriously. Woman has a very exotic; unique scent that you just don't find everyday. You will definitely stand out in a crowd wearing this beautiful fragrance. I do agree with some of the other reviews, use this sparingly as it is a very strong cologne. But I do love this fragrance not only for its spiciness, warmth, and earthy/woodsy composition, but because it brings back some nice memories of a guy I went out with who gave me my first ride on his motorcycle and man was he ever good looking! Maybe I got that ride 'cuz he loved smelling "Woman" on me! Ha! I will always have a bottle of Woman by Jovan on hand...just in case I need a motorcycle ride from a good looking guy! :)

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

If you are one of those people looking for an inexpensive, sillage bomb with a strong oriental/spicy ground...this could add to your collection! I am reviewing the original vintage that comes in the bottle depicted above.

This screams "Studio 54". It is sexy, mature, bold, and lasting. It reminds me of Opium, because it's got that warm spiciness mixed with an almost Victorian floral accord. It is opulent and sensual, with a full-blown, very warm, spicy floral opening and a face powder/woody/spicy drydown. The drydown is also a bit masculine and dirty, which makes it even more special. It's perfect for winter and holidays. It's even better for a hot date. It's "in your face" sexy, and sopisticated.

I am loving this perfume. I was shocked at how long it lasts. The sillage is off the charts and it lasts hours! The price is unbelievable, considering what you get- A sensual, opulent, oriental, sillage bomb that smells like it stepped off of the showroom floor at Nordstrom. I dare you to try it!!

A classic 1970s Chypre scent. Starts pretty brash, but dries down to a soft, green, powdery incense fragrance that is divine. Vintage is probably a better formulation to try if you can find it.

gazelle
gazelle

I was hoping to sniff out the African orange flowers. I smell the spices first and then something luscious I'm not sure yet what. But it caught my husband's attention. That's what matters a lot to me. We spend much time together, now we're retired. No moss is listed, which I love in fragrances, but for $14 the longevity is fantastic. I don't know how I overlooked this gem available at Walgreen's where it sells out quickly.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Jovan Woman smells like super-concentrated Dove soap: no more, no less. It's basically the latest incarnation of Emeraude, minus vanilla and eleven or twelve other notes. There's a screeching blast of one-dimensional white flowers, followed by a clean and nondescript drydown. JW's chemical character finds no love with me, although it's a good choice for travelers wanting to project an aura of "just showered" when coming off the plane.

This fragrance won a couple of FiFi Awards in 1978

Most Successful Women's Fragrance (Popular)
WOMAN • Jovan

Best National Advertising Campaign for a Women's Fragrance
WOMAN • Jovan

Sheridan

Mejames, I stumbled across Jovan Woman again last summer in the health and beauty department at H.E.B. grocery store, of all places! They had it in the locked glass case.

This is a perfect example of a mostly forgotten and very overlooked drugstore perfume that costs quite little but smells like a million bucks. The sillage and longevity are very, very good. In no way does it smell cheap. Very well blended, I love the opening, middle and the dry down is wonderful. A keeper.

Midwestgirl
Midwestgirl

To mejames:

You may find "Woman" by Jovan at Rite Aid Drug Stores. I just bought a bottle of it recently.

Good luck and hope this helps you!

mejames

Is there still a retailer in the Dallas, TX area that sells "Woman" by Jovan? I love the way "Woman" smells. I am just about out of my last bottle of this sensational fragrance. "Woman" by Jovan smells so much better than any of the expensive frangrances! If Jovan has stopped producing "Woman", shame on them!!! Jovan, please bring back "Woman"!! Please?!!

mejames

I cannot find a vender of "Woman" by Jovan online, except one! I am not going to pay over $14.00 (before shipping) and the only vender I have found is asking $54 per bottle! That person has lost his/her ever loving mind! In May of this year, I purchased 2 bottles of "Woman" by Jovan in a Walmart Superstore in Kansas. I paid $14 (before tax) per bottle. I have never paid more than $14 per bottle and I have been buying "Woman" by Jovan for many years!

20thcenturyrelic
20thcenturyrelic

I too remember the soap and the curved bottle...Anyway, if you use this one, keep in mind that it's *strong* to the point where it can be offensive. Apply it lightly, and I'd consider it a cold weather scent.

glitteralex
glitteralex

Move over "Realm", move over Athena and your pheromones....here comes "Jovan Woman". Although not listed, I get a huge sensation/whiff of nicely camouflaged body odor. This is a unisex Chypre structure, sweet citrus in the top, with dusty orange blossoms and ylang in the heart, and a smoky, mossy base. Really very 70s/80s, and well done.

I had the good luck to sample a vintage new bottle of the cologne concentrate spray, with no evaporation or discoloration. Just alight spritz is enough; more will knock your admirers out. I can see this as Holy Grail scent for lots of women; the pheromones will keep the compliments coming ;)

IIO
IIO

a special friend gave me women by jovan back in day it came in clear plastic box with a soap & the fragrance bottle had a shape to it,he gone now I would buy it if could find it that way .brings back happy memories . Jovan bring it back that way for us reminsce please

rednut
rednut

This goes on very strong. I generally like the woody spicy scents but this seems to have an underlying chemical smell (a bit like hairspray) that I don't like at all.As it dries down it does turn quite subtle and is very powdery. Not one for me i'm afraid.

panterachik
panterachik

Woman by the drugstore Jovan brand is a true beauty! The spices,wood and amber are perfectly blended into a oriental that smells better than many overpriced frags people (including me) drool over. I have been wearing this scent for years, but it unfortunately is getting harder to find. Guess I better start buying backups on ebay before the price gets out of hand! love this stuff

Mariana69
Mariana69

This ONE is my Ultimate Favourite this suits me like my natural skin use the cologne concentrate WOW been using this for the last 30 years and get compliments every single time I am wearing this.

frankie22
frankie22

Imagine my surprise! When I sniffed this at K-mart,I thought it could pass for a Chanel.So I bought it..and every time I spray it on I am shocked at how wonderful this little $14 cologne is.The staying power is only a few hours,so I think I will try the cologne concentrate spray.Lovely stuff!

Woman by Jovan 4.24 out of 5 based on 71 ratings and 40 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jovan Woman fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jovan Woman, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Woman by Jovan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Woman by Jovan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.