Designers » I-K » Citrus « Groups

Gentlewoman Juliette Has A Gun for women

Gentlewoman Juliette Has A Gun for women
dislike

Gentlewoman Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Gentlewoman Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Gentlewoman Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures

Perfumer Romano Ricci launches a new fragrance in early 2015 as part of his brand Juliette Has a Gun. The fragrance is named Gentlewoman and it represents a delicius citrus cologne with musk and almonds, intended for "dandy" women of androgynous style.

"With Gentlewoman, I wanted to give women a dash of dandy. Modern, daring, I envy her freedom, her taste, her look."—Romano Ricci

The composition is made as a feminized cologne from quality ingredients. It combines the classic cologne components of musk and bergamot with floral aspects of neroli and almond.

The fragrance is available as 100 ml Eau de Cologne.

Bergamot Bitter Orange Blossom Neroli

Beach

Gentlewoman Fragrance Reviews

culeyule67
culeyule67

Soap. Specifically: Zest. This perfume makes me feel zestfully clean. :)

Neosmiaphyte
Neosmiaphyte

Well, Ricci says it is a masculine cologne for women with neroli, almond and musk. He is a man of his word. On my skin, Gentlewoman is a linear, unisex scent with straight up neroli and musk.

The references to TF Neroli Portifino and Bobbi Brown Beach are due to the neroli and orange blossom which are used to achieve the sunscreen scent. Gentlewoman reads very bitterly synthetic to my nose; somewhere between expired vintage sunscreen and the pearly-white cheap soap listed by others reviewers. This cologne is intriguing and I can see this for tomboys or women who appreciate things without so many frills. The scent is easily overwhelmed by strong lotions, so I think layering efforts should be made with sheer fragrances.

I think of Elinor Dashwood when I think of a Gentlewoman. In this sense, I think the scent works. In days before running and easily heated water, if a gentlewoman smelled of soapy bitterness I can see this working.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i smell neroli, a hint of almond, bergamot and a soft airy musk in the beginning stages. it's a little synthetic for my tastes. i love neroli, but i think i like richer more indolic versions than this. i can see the balance of masculine and feminine (in the traditional sense) in this scent, so it's very unisex in that way. after being on the skin 10 or so minutes i get more lavender and tonka, grounding the scent, which is nice, and it smells more traditionally softly masculine, then it gets pretty soapy.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Really nice! Gentlewoman for me is a gentle fragrance, sweet and enveloping! The neroli is the note that dominates the scent. In the middle notes when love comes in almond and orange blossom... the note ambroxan is in the background. Modern and complex parfum.. I tried it only today and now I love it. In my list will surely❣

Sillage: 6./10
Longevity: 7./10
Scent: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

ErinDewan
ErinDewan

This is a lovely fragrant citrus juicy sweet neroli on my skin, very pretty. Too bad it comes off as a rather industrial or clinical scent on my clothes. Any reviewer who describes this as a cleaning product type of smell is correct.

Btw This is a new thing for me. I've never really known a scent that performs better when in contact with my skin. It's rather flattering but it last for less time than most. It would hold better to fabric but what's the point?

I tried it beside Guerlains Neroli Bianca and Gentlewoman looked like a cad. Go online and find neroli Bianca if you want neroli done right.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Big neroli opening over a warm, peppery base. There's something almost savory and food-like in the base, too. Is that coumarin? This is a fairly dry fragrance, kept from austerity by the smoothness of the base. I agree with other commenters that there's a definite soapiness to the dry down. I'm not a huge fan of neroli or orange blossom, and I consistenly feel like JHaG is disappointingly simplistic for a niche house. This hasn't really changed my mind about either. To me, this seems like a rather straightforward neroli based cologne. Personally, I feel like it's been done better or cheaper but if this kind of fragrance appeals to you then you should give it a try. Simple, classic, and a bit androgynous - literally a "clean" fragrance.

Jojopie
Jojopie

I think this smells like a cheap bar of soap by itself, but when it's worn under midnight oud, the almond comes out in such a gorgeous way that balances both of them perfectly. Do make sure you try layering these two if you have the discovery kit.

houstcs
houstcs

Wanted to hop on here to see reviews as I have been testing the discovery kit. I found neroli portofino shamefully dead on furniture polish. Washed it immediately. I'm not getting anything similar with gentlewoman and if there is some comparison I am missing, I'm very happy because gentlewoman is heavenly. If you don't like neroli portofino don't let that scare you from testing at least a spray of this.

FaerieCat
FaerieCat

This is s great example of why you MUST try a perfume in your own skin!
On first application, it was awful. It smelt like a citussy furniture polish with a floral undertone, but it changed even through initial dry down. I like having a unique and different scent, but Pledge and Mr Sheen aren't up there

I get it's masculinity, from dry down but its not overpowering. It's mostly Neroli to me at first.

I am now so glad I didn't wash it off right away, after a few hours of wear, it smells divine now. Mostly musk and woodiness a bit of neroli. Apparently other people get more bitter orange blossom and bergamot, but for me it's definitely more musky and woody, but that's good imho! I prefer musky and woody scents on me. I keep sniffing to see if I'm missing the citrus scent, but I just don't get any citrus on me since the initial dry down... and then it was a very synthetic citrus in an unpleasant way.

It's grown to be very sophisticated, and I can't help going back to sniff it more.

Calvini
Calvini

A less fresh and even more synthetic version of Neroli Portofino...
If I were to use the name "Gentlewoman" for a perfume (especially with such a sharp-eyed badass looking model) I'd take out half of the soapiness and add vetiver with a touch of black current leave or even tuberose!

Daisy^Slava
Daisy^Slava

Gentlewoman is a gentle woman on me.
I notice orange blossom and neroli plus sweet soft lavender wind, nothing sharp to cut you if you get closer. It is a clean, soapy fragrance with just a hint of an almond and the almond is so far away from the one in Hypnotic poison for instance.

I am sure Gentlewoman is close to a perfume I have met before but I cannot remember its name.

Edit: I found out which is the familiar "perfume". One hour later Gentlewoman turned into an window/glass detergent! What a pity..

Kathakali
Kathakali

Gentlewoman is growing on me. The bold and slightly sharp citrussy opening contrasts well with the milky, creamy almond drydown. This, in my opinion, suits the name very well: At first it's classy in a traditionally masculine/cologney sort of way, then it becomes a gentle skin scent. Nice wordplay, JHAG!

It's inoffensive, yes, but since when is that a bad thing? That said, YMMV, so while some reviewers point out bitter notes and lavender, I simply can't detect these when I spray Gentlewoman; on my skin it is all sorts of deliciously creamy, woody almond, which makes me want to bite my own arm ;)

As for soapy, I'm starting to further appreciate the subjective associations of language (and smells) with regard to perfume. See, soapy for me means mainly the artificial, sharp rose smell of (cheap? another rather silly adjective in this context as it says much more about the reviewer's prejudice than the perfume itself) soaps of my childhood, the kind of heady, flowery smell that would always make me sneeze and give me a headache. So while Gentlewoman's drydown actually does smell like the (fun fact: more expensive) soaps that I use nowadays, I would never describe it as soapy, rather say that they're both creamy.

tl;dr
Language is polysemous, describing perfume is hard.

EmiliM
EmiliM

Juliette Has a Gun has a new fan.

That said, I can't say I'm a fan of Gentlewoman.
As all of their perfumes, the quality of this is top notch. The longevity is great, the sillage not so much but I guess it was never meant to be a monster.
Now the scent itself is simple and a bit linear, which is not a bad thing in this case, as I assume minimalism and clean elegance were the inspiration. It starts off with bitter neroli tamed with bitter almonds which fades into bitter lavander.
On my skin this is a lavander bomb. A bitter one.

And that's about it. Nothing fussy, cluttered or chaotic about Gentlewoman. Just blunt class and elegantly executed attitude.
I have to mention the ads, which I am head over heels for.

I appreciate Gentlewoman but I don't think I would wear it.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

One of the very few citrus-category fragrances that work for me. Normally they are too sharp and too short-lived, but this one works exceptionally well. Typically, I like wearing woody-orientals and sweet patchouli-based fragrances, but this take on citrus is just...WOW.

Orange blossom, candied almonds, lavender, and ambroxan. Overall it's a very sweet fragrance. The lavender is more apparent in the opening, and the candied almond note becomes more pronounced in the dry down along with the ambroxan and subtle woody notes, which gives the fragrance depth. I feel it's so well done for a skin chemistry like mine, just perfect! There is something about this that makes me want to wear it in rainy weather, as well.

Fhaldara
Fhaldara

This was my scentbird sample pick for august. I love the orange scent in all it's forms, so it's not surprising that I like Gentlewoman. The orange blossom presents strongly in the opening, along with the bergamot. Lavender appears next with a grassy coumarin, and I love the way these notes blend. I don't like the drydown as much as the opening because I don't care for the almond note, but it's not overpowering here.

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

Tested last time on paper and this time on skin.The hate for Gentlewoman baffles me! To me this shares a very similar style with Thierry Mugler Alien in that both are very sharp soapy fragrances with big sillage. The difference is that in Alien it is the jasmine that's gone soapy and here it is the orange blossom and lavender. I find the soapy jasmine note in Alien too similar to laundry detergent and it repels me, but here petitgrain and almond add moisture and warmth to make Gentlewoman smell like freshly-ironed clothes. It smells sharp, organized, and prepares you to take on the world. Longevity and projection is like Alien -- superb. I really really like it!

Hayven
Hayven

This is a very pretty perfume. I was gifted a sample from a friend. I wasn't expecting to like it due to its simple fragrance pyramid; but it surprised me. It fits the feminine frame with its powdery neroli slash orange blossom touch. Yes, it has that clean essence to it; but I do not find it harsh. I applied it with a light hand, so maybe that's why.

nettoyant
nettoyant

Fresh citrusy powder!  How wonderfully contradictory!  No sweetness or fluff, just refreshing and soft, never sharp or bitter.

Lilyfey
Lilyfey

Right, so i'm a huge fan of the whole Juliette has a gun line...never thought they could do anything to disappoint me...but then I received a sample of Gentlewoman. It smells pretty much like a more soapy version of Neroli Portofino in the opening and morphs into, just as other reviewers said, public toilet soap..I don't find it pleasant at all...the soap smells cheap and almost sickening...don't know why I feel so repulsed, might be the lavender in it...I once said I'd love to own the entire line of JHAG...I take it back, everything except of that one.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

Awful. Smells like very sharp, cheap hand soap. Very synthetic and abrasive smelling.. I actually recoiled when I smelled the top notes. Do NOT blind buy this one, seriously, sample it first.

Longevity is pretty good, probably because it's loaded with synthetics. Very little, if any, projection on me though (thank god!)

Ticaa
Ticaa

It's such a weird scent and since I had a chance to first hear the story, then smell the perfume, I imagined it quite different than what it turned out to be. I was expecting more pepper and sharpness, with a subtle warmth that developed throughout the day. What it really does come to is that this perfume, at first, smells of bitter orange peel with a powdery background. It does develop a certain amount of muskiness, but I like it most at its drydown. It becomes very sweet, soft and subtle. It does become a very womanly perfume.

This is a hard one to describe, I dont find it masculine, on me it is at first rather feminine, breezy, I detect the neroli, it has a soapy undertone, overall, I liked it , for 25 seconds.then it takes a turn for the worse, and I agree with the former reviewer it has a smell of anti bacterial products..which kind of ruins it for me..the top notes are great, but on me after 20 seconds,it turns unpleasantly soapy, not in a luxurious feminine soapy way..more a cheap, unisex handsoap one finds in the public toilets.
starts nice, falls flat...
Not acceptable when you ask for niche prices

onaona
onaona

Prepare yourself, it's a sharp opening.

DEFINITELY more gentleman than gentlewoman during the first 30 minutes or so. BITTER orange and very little else. Fortunately for me, this doesn't last. After about an hour, it's soapy. A gentle public lavatory soap. You know the kind, white, pearlized, liquid, floral...placed next to hand towels instead of paper towels so you forget you're in a public john :)

Gentlewoman does't feel like a JHaG fragrance. My nose feels as if I am at the wrong fragrance house, as if I confused the address. Where's the X-factor I typically find so dear from Romano Ricci offerings?

I can't tell if I want this fragrance to be softer, but I think I would enjoy it a little deeper, bolder, more rich throughout. Do I need vetiver here? Creamier florals? I need something else. *scratches head*

Now my review might sound like I don't like Gentlewoman. Not true. I do like it, but I don't love it....yet :)

I've not given up on her.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Juliette Has A Gun Gentlewoman fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Juliette Has A Gun Gentlewoman, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Gentlewoman by Juliette Has A Gun. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Gentlewoman by Juliette Has A Gun represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.