Designers » I-K » Chypre « Groups

Mad Madame Juliette Has A Gun for women

Mad Madame Juliette Has A Gun for women
dislike

leather
Mad Madame Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Mad Madame Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Mad Madame Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Mad Madame Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures

Mad Madame by Juliette Has A Gun is a Chypre fragrance for women. Mad Madame was launched in 2012. Top notes are rose, amber, black currant and freesia; middle notes are peony, patchouli, tuberose, moss and jasmine; base notes are white musk, tolu balsam, vanilla absolute and castoreum.

Rose Amber Black Currant Freesia

Peony Patchouli Tuberose Moss Jasmine

White Musk Tolu Balsam Vanilla Absolute Castoreum

Paloma Picasso
Nirvana Rose

Mad Madame Fragrance Reviews

Neosmiaphyte
Neosmiaphyte

It opens with beautiful rose and something that smells like my dad's cologne growing up. Luckily, freesia quickly swept up that mess and laid rose down. Masculine animalic musk surprisingly draws me in.

She might be a Madam, but her scent lingers on her men in a way that does not betray his secret because he can wear this too. Easily unisex.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i love rose in many forms-especially strong and/or dirty ones, so i was hopeful upon trying this one. my pet peeve with this and many other modern scents- these start off SO strong and chemical. first off i smell rose, some black currant and a strong musk and maybe some castoreum but not much, if any. i definitely get the metallic thing others have mentioned as well. the peony amps up to 11 as it often does and it just smells like chemical flowers. i am wishing it was more rosy but it's rose with tons of peony and chemicals, unfortunately. after being on the skin about 20 minutes i do get more rose and that peony calms down, but the rose is very metallic.

DariDahlia
DariDahlia

Whoever put that it smells similar to Paloma, I KNEW there was something familiar about it!! It's a little different though, I get a little rusty metallic smell. Which I don't mind, it's just strange. A bold choice for sure, it almost takes your breath away. Use with caution. The jury is still out on this one...

ChelleBelle84
ChelleBelle84

I tried a few JHAG fragrances today. Please, no offense to those that like these fragrances. Here are my findings:

Lady Vengeance: Smells like industrial cleaner.

Mad Madame: She's mad alright. So mad she pissed on herself.. in her dirty underwear.

Not a Perfume: Got that right. Can't smell a thing.

And they have the nerve to charge $135 for these?? Sorry, not a fan!

Duskfall
Duskfall

Exploring the JHAG discovery kit...

Maybe I'm finally ready to embrace my inner pervert.

Skankfest. That's what this is. An extremely dirty metallic rose with equally filthy jasmine (very much present on my skin). Add some patch, tube, musk, castoreum...Oh yeah...You get the picture! I'm usually repulsed by strong indoles and they are definitely there right from the beginning, but for some reason I find them fascinating and almost erotic in this one. I'm forced to sniff repeatedly with disbelief: how can something so repulsive smell so intriguing?! It gets more polite as time goes by, but this won't be an inoffensive clean scent at any point.

Of course Mad Madame's performance is close to beast mode. It's long-lasting and projects quite heavily. I'm not sure if I'll have the guts to wear it in public because it's so obscene and easily gives out a very kinky impression. I might save this one for the private smutty moments. :D

Rotemeow
Rotemeow

Unfortunately this madam is mad from old age. It smells horrible on me, like an old woman's perfume. I don't recommend this one at all.

Floffles
Floffles

Not kidding, it has the dry down of old sun dried manure on my skin. Manure that had grown a single dirty and sad Charlie Brown-esque rose out of its petrified remains. Soooo terrible, I couldn't believe how bad this was. I have queued a few other from this line, as I have high expectations from the grandson of Nina Ricci, but its not a good start so far...

RapidScent
RapidScent

This is perfume! It is remarkably scented. I even dare say it is a unisex perfume. How do I know this you ask? I tried it on my brother first! Lol, I make him my little guinea pig sometimes because I like to see what different people smell like with the same perfume. But, I can say it is definately a very sexy, perfume. It makes me think of ladies in noir genre movies. The mysterious lady, with beautiful features, but she hides a secret. She is bold, and it shows in her taste of luxuries. Mmm, so delicious.

veda
veda

Mad Madame is very sexy...thank you dear fanny for the opportunity to try this mysterious beauty.
4 notes play the main role.
Rose, Castoreum, Patchouli and White Musk.
That's all!!
This perfume is smoky, grand and unisex.Men also can wear this!!
This is not an everyday perfume and definitely not a girlie one.
Enjoy!

LadyBeth
LadyBeth

I'm dying to try Mad Madame.

I would love to trade for sample of anything in my collection. Most of mine are vintage, just FYI

MERCI

Pieter Pad
Pieter Pad

I bought a sample of this perfume and expected a heavy, young and wild scent.
Unfortunately, for me this smells like a perfume for an old lady, or a flowerish toilet spray..

handprints425
handprints425

@Nefaria I bought this because of the notes and the reviews. I lost my sense of smell in the mid 80s due to surgery but still retained my love of perfumes. Everytime I wear I get compliments. I really like this house because the perfumes have good sillage, bring compliments and are a step outside of the common scent trails going on today. Nefaria, you are too funny. I am aged, have 39 cats, have a wonderful life and I am a DIVA. No fur coats but a few faux suede. Not covered in cat hair. True divas are meticullous in their cleanliness. I loved your review, you made me laugh. Thankyou. Now im even prettier with my beautiful smile and my so, so sexy perfume ; )

Sirena78
Sirena78

This madame is more a bewitching enchantress than mad. The rose comes through but it is a deep, rich rose. It is what a Black Baccara rose should smell like. The rose gives way to slight freesia and muskiness but is tempered by the softness of amber which keeps it from becoming too sharp and abrasive. This is a perfume for evening or when you are wanting to drawn someone near. I hear Nina Simone singing "I Put A Spell On You" in the background! I put this on and my husband happened to come home and actually said I smelled "amazing". His descriptives of my perfume and cologne choices rarely get more than an "it's ok" or "alright" response if any. This JHAG really worked with my chemistry which is not usually the case. This is not a scent for someone who enjoys soft, subtle scents or light fruity florals. Mad Madame is beguiling and intense without being too extreme and if you can handle her she's waiting to take you on a sensual adventure.

Skayalily
Skayalily

As a kid, my dad had a little toy we called the "stinkyman," a hollow rubber figure that wafted a smell when you squeezed it; I'm pretty sure that it must've been castoreum inside there. Mad Madame smells just like L'Eau De Chloe, if L'Eau De Chloe were stored inside the "stinkyman." A bright green, bitter (not unpleasantly so) opening and then PatchiRose; nice enough, just like L'Eau De Chloe. But overtop there's the huge waft of dirty, musk and castoreum. I usually like musk and I don't mind dirty, but these notes/accords don't blend well for me.

Rissatish
Rissatish

Mad Madame is a bad bitch and I love her. She has such a loud, vivacious, unforgettable personality. She is the type of girl that says what everyone else is thinking but are too afraid to admit. I imagine Amy Winehouse-- retro glamour, red lipstick, cat-eye liner, big hoops, chain smoking cigarettes. She is a mad, sultry, vixen with depth and animalistic tendancies. She is flawed and beautiful-- yes "thorny". I love wearing this for a night out of debauchery. (Just as a warning, the animalic notes get louder and louder as the night goes on.)

Hippo Princess
Hippo Princess

A complex but coherent scent. This is a heavy, velvety, deep red rose. There is an animalic quality to Mad Madame, heady and ripe and indolic, which contrasts with a sharp aluminum odor. I can detect a sweet jammy note and a creamy vanilla, and like other reviewers mentioned, something like rubber.

I was instantly attracted to the presentation of this perfume; even the feel of the heavy opaque bottle feels luxe. Like the sweat of a beautiful and angry Disney villain.

mrs.hart
mrs.hart

****
this was an instant love for me, i had to buy it on the spot after i tested it! it's a thorny malicious rose with a lot of animal hide in it. a lot of something kinky and bizarre and maybe hard to approach. the rose is almost unrecognizable, it's not sweet jam like, or even a true-to-nature type of rose, but a chemical almost caustic flower drained in animalic notes. i can almost hear it hissing when i apply. there's harshness and austerity in it but also awe inspiring beauty. whoever said there was no beauty in evil? a gorgeous villain, like poison ivy.

missFeline
missFeline

This JHAG smells like luxury. Luxury of having robust personallity, luxury of being able to express yourself and maybe show off...but in a classy way!

It really has something special. It's strange, loud-ish but you cannot forget it and want to smell it again and again.

I don't really admire rose smell but in this perfume I like it. Probably because it's not soapy. In fact, it develops the concept of a rose : soft beauty showing it's spikes.

To me personally it shares the concept of cold/warm beauty with Ange ou Demon. Many yars ago I used to think that the latter has that strange cold note but it got me interested and eventually I fell in love with that smell. Well, comparing to Mad Madame it's a soft and fluffy smell. Mad madame is stonger, louder, more brave but still has that soft (in this case rosy) ethereal side.

ntabassum92
ntabassum92

What I wish Agent Provocateur had smelled like! This is a very sexy rose: deep, musky, animalic. I clearly smell the castoreum more than anything else. When I smell this, I think of my mother's old coats and shawls that you'd put on a few days after she'd worn them and they smelled deeply of perfume mixed with the scent of wool and fiber. This perfume has sweet undertones as it dries down, due to the white florals and the black currant, perhaps. It's interesting as the top is very heavy, and the undertones are more light-hearted and fresh. I really like this perfume - it's sexy in the bold 80s style. Even one spray lasts and projects well - be careful not to overdo this one!

4 out of 5 stars :)

lalycorn
lalycorn

Carefully searched, thought about it and blind bought this baby last year and boy it was not a disappointment! It shocks you with that metallic icy rose at first -nope I was not afraid, I knew this was coming- and then it turns into that soapy, powdery but filthy patchouli rose monster with a whiff of currants. It does not smell that animalistic to me- which is a shame, I really wanted it to- but I'm so happy how it mixes well my skin. It's an on your face screaming fragrance, but I know I can carry it well and it kind of hangs tame on me but I also know it's not for a goodie goodie girl. You need to show your balls to sport this one. Great sillage, people almost always notice it and also it stays forever on you.
It's my signature scent now, love love love it.

Strange_Alchemy
Strange_Alchemy

This was walking into a broken down Art Deco greenhouse.

There are roses, blowsy and beautiful, earth and rusty metal. Berries bake in the manufactured heat somewhere near by. A lady sits sweating on a chaise in the back, reading a leather-bound book with a glass of Rioja.

The image is as strong as the fragrance. Sillage is massive, and it lasts - a scarf I had worn wafted the ghost of it days later.

Totally worth a try if you love roses, and this is unlike any rose frag I've tried thus far, what with the moss and metal mixed in.

Gentle suggestion: 1 spray will suffice!

aschiffm
aschiffm

warm fluffy bunny of hot sizzling red spice. it reminds me of chloe edp in strength, texture, and scrumptiousness but w/ melting red hots added. i'm surprised spice or pepper isnt a note listed, might be the castoreum i'm smelling. i don't smell too much rose honestly.. and after an hour or so it starts to smell like warm rubber, but i still think it's oddly sexy. and then the faintest hint of musky vanilla. not for everyone because opening is especially strong and audacious. i like this....

glitteralex
glitteralex

I have sampled this perfume 3 times, all under different circumstances, to better grasp its essence. I often have to do this with aldehyde-heavy compositions such as this. Last evening's cold temperature and moderate moisture proved the perfect testing ground for this tightly wound Patchouli Rose. Like some red wines, it was bitter, almost tannic to start off. It needs the warmth of skin- but not ambient heat or mugginess- to bloom. After ten minutes, I found Mad Madame to be fairly linear-Aldehydes, Damacscan Rose, and Patchouli. Sillage was modest but longevity quite good.

I truly admire the Rose-Patchouli genre, it is one of my favorites. However, Mad Madame never seems to calm down- she's always on the verge of shrieking. I do find her to be very close to my beloved David Yurman signature, but without the requisite roundness I require in a patchouli base. If you are a fan of this genre, may I suggest: "Deneuve" by Catherine Deneuve/Phenix/Avon, "Fantasque" by Louis Feraud/Avon, "Elle" by YSL in both EdT & EdP versions, and "Paestum Rose" by Eau de Italie.

Estreen
Estreen

Mostly a rich, full, jammy rose with a hint of craziness in the background. Not as complex and animalic as I would have hoped, but still a pleasure to wear.

Also, that fur could be vintage (I don't want animals killed cruelly in the present, but we can at least appreciate the beauty of fur, especially in antiques) and the image of a crazed woman is very clearly portrayed by their ads, what with the juxtaposition of a luxe pelt and (what I find to be ugly) "trendy clothing".

cheekyberd
cheekyberd

This is a great scent for autumn/winter. Smoky amber, red roses and tar. Yes, tar! You get the faintest whiff of it at the deepest level. Just right for roasting chestnuts outside. I love it!

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

If Madame is mad, she's mad for roses, which show up as a full bouquet right off the bat. This is an animalic, almost oily rose... even almost sweat-laden rose. Very rich. This smells like a daring young sophisticate who isn't afraid of leaving an impression.

There's just a hint of sweet berries in the background, as well as more than a hint of what I'm sure is ambroxan, a trend that runs deep through all of the JHAG fragrances. If it weren't for that note, which becomes more overwhelming as it goes, I'm sure I'd like this one.

It gives me "Doctor Zhivago" feelings, if that makes any sense. It's what I imagine a wealthy woman wrapped in furs might smell like on a cold winter's evening, alluring and bold and warm.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Wow, my skin chemistry must really be clashing with the castoreum note here, because a very sharp, synthetic rubbery note is overpowering the rest of the composition for me. Every once in a while I think I smell a waft of rose, then I smell an overriding pungent and sharp rubber note. Clearly for my skin, castoreum does not translate to "warm", "animalic", or "leathery". I've had it on for over an hour, which is usually more than enough time for a scent to dry down on me, yet I've sensed no change. I'm disappointed I can't actually smell the composition as a whole!

I personally do not find it green, nor fresh, it is heavy at first,like a boozy rose scent, but it evolves rather fast, it reminds me of Citizen Queen, in the blast of patchouli, then the drydown gets lovely, smooth, warm, sensuous, the Madame isnt so mad anymore. there is a hint of leather....I can see the red color in part due to the punch of the top notes..I find it classy actually, and really fit for all women out there...this spells quality..and character..as for me, if I found a bottle at a good price, I might buy it..it is still pretty much a rose scent, not oldish, rather modern, with a twist of vintage somewhere though
Update: can't handle the top notes so I won't be wearing this fragrance!

falstaffiv
falstaffiv

Well officially the main ingredients are rose oxide, blackcurrant bud absolute, ambroxan, patchouli essence, hedione HC, tuberose absolute and white musk.
This one was very strange at first, different from others JHAG perfumes.
Decided today to try an old sample i've found and glad i did. This is very green smelling, fresh and penetrating at first, but soon it gets softer, less loud and maybe even warmer.
I can't say that this is rose dominated perfume.
Certainly it has clean and greenish, sparkling feel that tends to turn creamy, and patchouli here is more in the background, overpowered by clean musk and all that freshness and flowers.
A perfume is on a constant contrast, a cold-hot role is in here.
Also, officially listed are, fresia, peony, moss, tolu balm, vanilla, castoreum, animalis.

Well, to me this is a perfume that really describes its name, really mad one, a tank full of energy. It brings a sense of self-confidence, it brightens up your mind, and like magic, when there's no tiredness, everything is more sexier.

Update:
This is clearly a musky scent, a very long lasting one. And I love musk.
But to me, the whole composition is intriguing due to the some unusual components (have read about them), and on the plus side, it is very harmonious, and wearable in warmer days (can't imagine that someone could wear it during winter season, no way).
Yes, i'm pleasantly surprised.

qatarkind
qatarkind

When I smell this perfume I imagine a very beautiful blond woman wearing fur walking to her luxury apartment in the hotel. She is very intelligent, calm, and confident.

Nice scent, but a bit sour on my skin as many rosy scents are. I can't see any madness in it, to be honest. It's rather a scent for good girls.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

This makes me think of a sweeter, rounder version of Sa Majeste La Rose by Serge Lutens. Lutens' version is tarter, greener, a little more astringent, this is sweetened with amber and black currant and rounded out by leathery castoreum and warm tolu balsam. It's cozy and a little dirty, kinda like sunday morning before you shower... kinda like a sunday morning roll in the hay before you shower, when the bed is all warm and nice and they're all warm and nice and yeah.

It starts sharper and greener (but still not as sharp and green as the Lutens creation) and warms and softens, leather and musk coming in, other flowers blooming in the background but the rose always remains. It also somehow reminds me of a less geranium heavy version of Vicky Tiel's Sirene

megrim
megrim

Mad Madame is a wild ride from start to finish.

A skanky, thorny, green rose. Sits equally well on a man or a woman - so long as you have the attitude to pull it off.

Mad Madame opens with a smack of green, dry rose. Sharp and quite masculine, with a peppery patchouly edge creeping in. It pretty quickly morphs into something a lot smoother, but by no means safer.
As Mad Madame develops, a powerful animalic skank joins the spiky rose front and centre, and for the next hour or so these two accords fight for top billing. It's a lovely contrast - Green, spicy rose and hot, sweaty musk.

It eventually dries down into a glowing, floral musk. Still wildly animalic but with just a hint of soapiness to pull it out of barnyard territory.

Longevity is excellent. Sillage is quite heady for the first 20 minutes or so, but fades down into moderate territory for the rest of the wear-time.

Savage, garish, oddly both modern and vintage in feel. Mad Madame is an excellent choice for informal events on brisk evenings.

This is not your Grandmother's rose... Unless your Grandmother was a fur-wearing, chain-smoking, underground, criminal gangster.

zimmer73

Today I finally realized which other scent this beauty reminds me of. Elie Saab.
Especially the top and basenote.
I just LOVE the Mad Madame <3

zimmer73

Received my "Mad Madame" today, and WOW! She know how to make herself noticed. I am not a rose-fan, but to me this scent lacks that old lady vibe that rose scents tend to have..
Maybe it is the amber and patchouli I love so much in this mix.
It is loud, but not in a bad way.
It is kind of vintage in a new wrapping.
It is my new favourite for sure!

szilvihorv
szilvihorv

I find the bottle design very much in harmony with the scent: definitely roses with thorns. Mad Madame is unquestionably a rose scent, but not for those weak at heart. It's dry and harsh, green, earthy, musky and something carnal. It makes me feel desirable but also brings the question "Do I want someone smelling like this around me?" to my mind. The people I asked found it smelling nice, but there's something in it that makes it a not very friendly fragrance.

I smell a lot of patchouli and tuberose in it. Now both of these notes are very polarising scents: they can smell either sweet and pleasant or sour and intruding. It's the case of the latter in Mad Madame. I actually smell damp wood as well, which might be the combination of patchouli and tolu balsam. I did my best to find the castoreum in here, but luckily(?) I don't seem to detect it. Mad Madame doesn't smell like urine or rat cages or anything along these lines to me, but that's completely up to what a person's skin chemistry picks up on.

I'd say Mad Madame is definitely a wild rose scent, very interesting but it takes a lot of confidence to wear in public. I can't exactly say I like it as it's far out of my comfort zone of warm fragrances, but it doesn't leave me untouched either. It's interesting and it's gnawing on the corner of my mind. I know I'll come back to it as many times as it'll take to accept the beauty it offers.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

Mad Madam is a luscious dame.

Strong, strong, strong opening of "red" roses and some intense floral that may or may not be tuberose - while it's certainly very floral it's also a little generic - well balanced white flowers are pronounced.
This then gives way to an assertive but fairly mellow blend of patch and rose and what is probably castoreum.

While the opening certainly knocks your socks off, MM actually isn't too strong or worrysome to wear. Assertive, yes, but not in an overbearing or even particularly obtrusive way.

It's just a confident, rose-dominated scent with a good deal of longevity and sillage. Not really all that mad at all.

Worth adding to any rose-lover's wardrobe, especially as an alternative to all those demure tea-rose types.

Lana148
Lana148

Mad Madame is fabulous!

It is not for a faint of heart and definitely not a girly scent. This one was created for elegant, confident lady, who knows what she wants and not afraid to stand out.

This composition is made in a vintage fashion, so not to be scared of the opening and let the fragrance develop.

This is very sexy, rose-white floral composition. It's also fresh - green and sour notes are very pronounced. Musk, patchouli, amber are on the background but newer overshadow the floral blend. It's made out of quality ingredients, and it shows.

This reminds me of Agent Provocateur, but Mad Madame feels younger, and isn't heavy on patchouli. Dry-down is very similar to Soir de Lune Sisley.

This is gorgeous! Very classy but contemporary at the same time!

gfp
gfp

it is not a perfume in the traditional way. it smells artificial but that is its beauty. a friend of mine smelled it on me and asked me to buy it for her as a birthday present. i took it as a compliment. :-)

kay0981
kay0981

My first impressions of this fragrance were quite mixed. I don't really like animalic smells, and Mad Madame definitely is very animalic, particularly in the opening. The castoreum note is strong and pungent; and alongside with the dark, raw amber (normally one of my favourite notes) it creates something very uncomfortable and off-putting. It smells dirty, sharp and pungent, and is quite difficult to wear. However, it does get a lot better with time. After the initial burst of intense animalic notes, Mad Madame begins to unveil its softer, smoother side. The drydown is dark, deep, and almost gothic – with prominent rose and musk accords; it's still very bold but not as loud and sharp as the opening. If you enjoy musk-based fragrances such as Narciso Rodriguez then you are quite likely to fall for this one, too. It's too spicy and animalic for me, but I can see how many could enjoy it.

Despite my mixed feelings on this one, I can still appreciate Mad Madame for being a very unique and daring scent.This is the kind of fragrance you'd wear if you want to be noticed – it definitely isn't your typical crowd-pleaser. Mad Madame is bold, confident and unapologetic – she knows what she wants, and she is ready to do anything to get it!
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

gaai
gaai

All rose, all the time.
That is all.
It's not that I don't like roses, but this is "HI, I'M ROSE!!" and she's just a little too loud for me.

jessbug
jessbug

I'm sitting here with Mad Madame on my wrist and a very confused expression on my face.

Rat urine? Plastic? Hospitals? I don't get any of those. And I can't help but feel a little disappointed by that.

The nose for this perfume isn't listed on Fragrantica, but I'm willing to bet money that it's Francis Kurkdjian. His typical musk base (Narciso Rodriguez EdP, Elie Saab EdP) is very recognizable in this. The JHAG rose is present, reminding me of the Chloe EdP rose, but also triggering memories of Agent Provocateur,.

I have worked with castoreum, and on its own it is pretty disgusting and indeed 'plasticky', as some have mentioned here. I don't recognize it as such in this perfume. That is not to say that it isn't in there, but it means that it is well blended with other ingredients, to pull out a 'sparkling' effect in the floral notes that makes me think of champagne. It certainly is not the second-most obvious note in Mad Madame. I've learned to distrust the voted pyramids on here as they seem to be very sensitive to marketing ploys and 'peer copying'.

All in all, I really like this. It has a very similar feel to Elie Saab EdP, so I'm not 100% convinced I need this in my wardrobe, but I would definitely wear it if I had it. I just wish Mad Madame was a little crazier!

Seriously, Agent Provocateur EdP is WAY scarier than this.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

My first thought was "Did Miss Charming go nuts?" I get the charming, berry sweet rose that personified Miss Charming. However, I also get in equal amounts, a lot of musk and something spicy? I'm not sure what is causing that peppery effect, but it is at odds with the sweetness of the rose. I get the flowery effect that comes from the peony, similar to the peony vibe in Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet. I get some jasmine without the indoles but I don't get any animal smells here, to my somewhat disappointment, being a fan of animalistic scents. No Bal a Versailles going on here according to my nose. The patchouli and amber show up when the peppery notes disappear in the drydown. Sillage is good and longevity great, I've not had a problem with JHAG when it comes to either. This lasted more than a day on clothes. With some imagination I can get the story around Mad Madame but try as I might, I don't smell any animals in here. It's still worth getting if you are into spicy sweet rose musk patchouli. Which is what lingers in my nose and in my head. Another JHAG that goes on the want list. I just don't know if Miss Charming will stay on that list now that I've got someone more interesting.

alittleofeverything
alittleofeverything

Yes, yes, I get the "rat cage"-reference. I get the "plasticky"-thing. To a certain degree I even understand why some people get a "crazy cat lady"-feeling.

But dammit, people! This is SEXY!

Not virginal-white-floral-damsel-in-distress-sexy, NOT asinine-fruity-floral-submissivly-flirty-sexy, but In-Your-Face Sexy. This scent fills up the room and tells people that she's the boss. She knows what she wants and she doesn't mind using aggressive persuasion to get it.

Unfortunately I wore my sample to work. Oooooops.

evesoho
evesoho

Usually, on the first day of "ladytimes" I reach for Stella by Stella McCartney, a smooth melancholic rose with some dark amber, peony and fruit. Today, I wanted to try a different rose, but along the lines of Stella, meaning nothing too soft. Cue the applause - this is not only *interesting*, but a perfect fit for my raging day!

Turns out, this perfume is aptly named. Where Stella goes melancholy, Mad Madame goes... well, a little mean and bitter, a little dirty, a little green with envy, and certainly quite mad... sounds just like me on one particular day every month.

Just to be clear, this perfume to me is just a little bit of this a little bit of that. I don't think it's a classic or a game-changer, but I do like it.

I really enjoyed it while wearing my hair down with soft waves and a few bobby pins, with comfy bell-bottoms, walking shoes, a faded blue henley - and my denim jacket for the first time this year! I might venture to think that if you dress Mad Madame up, or even wear something casual but bold coloured or structured (like a blouse with a sharp collar), the perfume might seem a little harpy and squeal a bit. I do think that with blue jeans and a tee or casual sweater, the Mad Madame is a sassy compliment. :)

Before I tried it, I thought that it must be the weird one. It has castoreum note in it. I don't know how castoreum smells, but I don't feel anything too weird in this perfume.
In my opinion, this perfume is very sexy and even vampy. At the beginning I felt patchouli, amber and some musk in it. Later it calmed down to really nice rose scent. Very pleasant.
I can only feel little bit of musk in it, nothing overwhelming.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Such a great intriguing perfume, sexy, floral with a musk. Will report later on drydown and longevity.
It is a copy of Saab le Perfume. Saab is more opulent and lasting, but the concept is very similar.

Nefaria
Nefaria

Warning: negative review.

If you've ever kept rats as pets, you know the smell. I didn't even know the notes when I sprayed it for the first time but it immediately reminded me of the smell of a rat who's been sleeping in its own spoiled cage.
I can also smell a little bit of floral air freshener through this.
The type of woman I would see wearing it: 80 years old, owning lots of cats, wearing dirty old fur coats covered in cat hair, using dark red lipstick and dramatic eye make-up. An aged wannabe-diva whose life is not exactly as glamorous as she imagines.
Something positive: the name is spot on.

Mikprittie
Mikprittie

This is an interesting Miss Charming. The opening notes won't reveal that because I seem to get opening of tolu balasm and the oily rubber. Then transitions to tuberose which is very suprising for a couple of seconds then the drydown of miss charming all the way. This is a cloaked Miss Charming do not be fulled, if you like miss charming but thinks its lacking something, try this, might just be what you are looking for.

renperd
renperd

After a full wearing from an official sample I can say that this to me is a very masculine fougere type fragrance similar to Chanel Egoiste Platinum in the dry down. It's a bit thicker, denser, less fresh and quite a bit less pleasant to wear. I do get the 'bite of the beaver' (castoreum)which I'm normally rather partial to, but I won't be scraping my coffers to buy Mad Madame while I've got back-up bottles of Platinum.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

This goes on very strong with an INTENSE amber and rose. The hot, fleshy, rubbery tuberose that catches in the back of my throat is also quite dominant. But this perfume isn't floral. It's dense with amber, balsams and castoreum and even the florals aren't floral.
Mad Madame is hot and plasticky, but also very feral and furry. Wild and without bounderies, but within the context of our civilization. Not a "free", natural sort of wild.
It is sexy, but clearly man made.
It is quite strangely unsettling for me. I somehow can't get around the picture of latex clad figures in a BDSM club. Not that such a place would necessarlily smell like Mad Madame, but it just evokes that picture in my mind.
There's a scent I recognize from childhood. The first time I have such an experience. But I can't quite identify this scent. Maybe the tuberose in my mother's favorite LouLou? Maybe some kind of make up she used?
There's also a medicinal quality that I enjoy very much. If that reminds people of oud, I should start sampling some oud fragrances right away.
I really enjoy this scent, but it's as far removed from my peronality as humanly possible. So, not really wearable for me, but an interesting sniff!

hybiscusgirl18
hybiscusgirl18

If there's a word to describe Mad Madame, it would be "feral", because from the start this controversial Juliette shows her animal side with no restrictions or shame (at least to my novice nose).

Opening with astringent green notes, Mad Madame flashes her teeth, making you know that she's not a force to tempt - everytime I smell these first notes, I can imagine an angry woman à-la-Jessica Lange branding a riding crop, wearing dark leather gloves and sporting a red bright leather corset, but in tamer days just a red coat. A friend of mine compared it to the eponymous fragrance of Paloma Picasso, another powerhouse with a red and dark feeling.

Some time later, the green teeth retreat back -never completely disappearing- and an oily rose heart comes slowly from the shadows to the center of the stage. At first it's a simple pungent rose swimming in its own oil with some patchouli somewhere, but as it evolves, its true nature is displayed to nose: that of a flowery oily animal with green teeth and claws, a strong but seductive core thanks to the combination of the rose and the impudent creaminess of the tuberose, and even a layer of fur, courtesy of the musk and castoreum. I guess that's why Monsieur Ricci used furs in the ad: to warn people of its feral creation.

It is true that Mad Madame doesn't fit to all tastes: many call her aggressive, many call her vulgar for using a true stole in a vegan faux zone, many call her old fashioned, and not too few even deem her unoriginal. While all those opinions are valid,one thing is for sure: Of all the Juliette clan, Mad Madame was created to not leave people indifferent; and I must say, she accomplished her mission.

starvega
starvega

The opening of this is actually very pretty, a mix of rose and what seems like a hint of green, but within 10 minutes this dries down and intensifies massively into the same rose and a very strong animalic note. I would not describe it as fecal as others have, but it has the animalic, slightly 'body odour' type of smell to it.

After about three hours it has died down to a quiet musk that I can only smell by pushing my nose against my skin.

Not my cup of tea tbh but it smells well-made and blended for those who like more animalic fragrances.

mothandmagpie
mothandmagpie

My first review...here goes.
Imagine a dark mossy forest floor at dusk,deep in the heart of the woods. A single plucked rose lies on the damp ground, its thorns laced with blood. The rose is darkest red, velvet petals on your cheek soft and heady. It loves you, it loves you not. Here a harsh metallic cough syrup, now a cloying floral, warm like cinnamon, close like incense. But turn away and it draws you back in. If it is a moment, it is Beauty and the Beast embracing.

OZ
OZ

At first it smells like a less patchouli version of Lady Vengeance. Immediately the animalic note kicks in, which goes very well with the rose I gotta say. I believe this fragrance would suits very well with a mature, mysterious and sexy woman in a cold winter night. Very beautiful :)

virga
virga

Love it: Mad Madame is strong and complex rose scent with prominent leather note and animalic twist. The thing I like about this fragrance is that it combines darkness, wilderness and rationality, intelligence. It gives the impression that a person who wears it truly knows what she or he (it could be easily worn by men too) wants and how to get it. In the times of sweet boring politness Mad Madame stands out as something rare and exceptional.

amandaj1024
amandaj1024

While I love the smell of fresh roses, I have not been able to find a rose perfume that I like (most seem to smell cloying, sickening, and way too sweet on me) until I sampled this one. It is very soft and feminine. It reminds me of Bvlgari's Mon Jasmine Noir, but with rose instead of jasmine. Both have a sharper green smell to the florals and a slight hint of musk. While I don't love it enough to want a full bottle, I do enjoy smelling this sample on my wrist.

laetitiavp
laetitiavp

I absolutely love this scent...I didn't expect to like it. I wore my sample today and had no clue as to what the notes might be. I smelled a sharp and pungent rose which took me head over heels! Something greenish as well. I thought there was some toned down oud. But no oud in this fragrance. I suppose it must be the castoreum, though I utterly don't know what castoreum smells like. Something incredibly sexy I assume.
I don't smell anything medicinal, hospital-like, fecal, pee-like, etc Neither anything leathery and I usually dislike leather! It may be a question of chemistry. It's just a very spicy and deep rose, with a hint of blackcurrant freshness. I find it extremely sexy and addictive! It also lasted all day, which is rare on my skin!
After reading the reviews, I am really hesitating to buy a full bottle because I am afraid of annoying others.
Still, I love it so much!

freddinos
freddinos

Its opening was an equal blend of roses and musk on my skin, did not care for it at all.
BUT the drydown was an amazing ethereal smell, the type you find in perfumes like Piguet's Calypso and Lancome's vintage Magie Noire. Interesting, would recommend to people who love floral woody musk perfumes or rose-chypres.
Thank you littlepepperz for the generous sample:)xx

Cereza
Cereza

Love at first sight.

I could not believe how well this smells as I was expecting to be turned off by this creation.
Instead I got a beautiful cold rose and spices at the opening soon followed by a beautiful leathery/animalic background and sexy/feminine rose at the open for next 6 hours.

I simply LOVE IT. One of the best modern animalic roses I've tried so far.
If a skanky rose is your thing - do give it a try, you might as well be surprised.

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

WOW!!!

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

I don't like this, but I do admire it. It's a very witty perfume. Something I imagine Alex, from "Orange is the New Black" wearing in pre-incarceration days. It smells of roses and ambergris, more "vintage" then "old lady."

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

This is mad indeed! Insane!

Everybody smells something different - either leather, musk, roses, turpentine, tuberose, metal, hospitals, fur, jasmine, patchouli, antiseptic, soapiness or dirtiness. To some it even seems green!
Most inconsistent reviews I've ever come across! How can one scent be all of these things?!

I'm going to add to that mix that what I smell is old fur odor with leftover perfume on it (strong powdery musky floral, vintage perfume).
This is too animalic for me and as someone who truly hates fur this only brings back bad memories of clearing out old furs from my dead grandmother's wardrobe. It gives me this unsettling, gloomy feeling. I just can't shake it off. However well done for creating such a mad scent, if you love it - it will make you stand out for sure.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Mad Madame by Juliette Has A Gun is a floral chypre with a prominent rose note, but I definitely would not call this a “pink chypre”. I consider MM to be a very contemporary fragrance, but it clearly draws inspiration from traditional compositions. MM opens with strong white florals, rose oxide, and leathery notes. After about 30 seconds, a fecal note appears and then folds into the warm animalic base as a permanent fixture. The animalic aspect of MM is very suggestive, and perhaps “Busy Lady” is a more appropriate name for this fragrance. There is acidic warmth tying the rose oxide to the leathery base; the salty, tanginess is balanced by the intense perfume-y quality of the white floral and rose. Overall, I’m very impressed and consider MM to be an exemplary excursion into contemporary filth. Although this fragrance is not for me because I’m squeamish when it comes to wearing rose, I highly recommend MM.

Great performance; overall 4/5

antfarm
antfarm

The madame must be mad--she doused herself in turpentine. That is what this fragrance smells like: turpentine and synthetic roses.

OnTheRun
OnTheRun

This is my first post here.Ever.
I don't care about other details, I fell in love with ALL Romano Ricci's fragrances, he is a genius.
I first had Lady Vengeance and it was great but not very long lasting.
I got Mad Madame for Christmas and since then I avoid using it because I like it so much and I'm affraid it will dissapear at some point and then I won't find another perfume to make my hair smell so good :) Yes, it lasts very long on my hair and clothes..talking weeks when it comes to jackets/scarfs.
Some people say it's a fragrance for mature women buy I totally disagree, smell like intelligent and modern young women having coffee in a very urban area.
So...conclusion...roses in the city.

rosecat
rosecat

Well i exclaimed when sniffing this on paper " well this has a bit of excitement to it, quite an edgy Rose!" Certainly its animalic, the notes above are identifiable..rose, leather, tuberose with that musk & oakmoss base. The overall feel is "strong & sexy" a modern musky leather floral with a lot of rose & patchouli base. For those wanting a dark floral with the animalic edge thats quite powerful, do try.

Redpula
Redpula

Men would love sniffing this scent on a woman. Men with an adventurous attitude to perfume may wear this that is if his skin would match with it. Mad Madame might remind the wearer of Montale's Red Aoud but less the sting and complexity.

This is an amazing blast of rose combined with a medicinal tone. An in your face powerful but outstanding top notes able to impress sophistication, sensuality and pure pleasure. I smell a vibe of an oud or maybe this is the tolu balsam exuding a very light fecal scent but nicely covered by floral, woods and fruity notes. A light sweetness but the balmy feel made it bitter and dark as well.

I applied with a generous dab (a half spray equivalent) but I am pretty sure, it will leave trails of "who was wearing that sexy scent" to the people passing by on you. But be warned, like Red Aoud, the sensual rubbings to their nose may lead to an embarrassing situation when you over applied. It can happen so be very careful on the trigger.

After 5 minutes, I smell tuberose, slowly revealing in and out as the rose, tolu balsam and woods, linearly dominating the initial journey. It is somewhat herbal too, I cant say its green, or should it be, then it is quite minimal on my skin. It ain't smoky at all but is aromatic and airy.

Mad M. is a rich, deep, bold, well refined composition that brings out admirable feelings which other supporting notes does not matter anymore because the rose is beautifully and hauntingly crafted. You have to wear this on a formal occasion and a masquerade party but never wear too much or you might end up alone in a corner for hurting people with your thorns instead of captivating men and women with your pleasurable rose whiffs.

Yes, a rose like no other.

It has been 25 minutes now from my dab and ending this review. I would expect this to last on me for more than 8 hours and hoping, with its linear form, the further drydown would impress on me more of the sensual Madness from a beautiful Madame.

antqueen
antqueen

I get exactly the same sour, slightly faecal note as in Dior Oud Ispahan

sootica
sootica

Fur use disappointing - but is it faux? Also are the animal derived scent elements synthetic copies?
I see no justification for the use of modern farmed real fur - tragic.

CIOGHIUZEL
CIOGHIUZEL

I tried it today! I find it sexy,even the bottle is fancy! And I love fur and own few fur items! Nothing wrong with that!

Yamba1
Yamba1

It's is a very different offering from Juliette Has a Gun who have to date been defined by their polite and well behaved rose centric perfumes.

Mad Madam is intriguing to say the least. The marketing by use of fur alluded to the animalistic nature of this composition and intended to shock it's audience. For the record it didn't shock me, but it did pique my curiosity as I am always keen to try a new offering in the animalic genre.

The first blast of MM is green as others have stated, but also very floral and feminine. Looking at the pyramid i thought i was going crazy but to me it rather resembled Guerlain's Idylle. A quick comparison of the notes does in fact show similarities of rose, freesia and white flowers, so I maybe I'm not so crazy after all!

It's only after about 15 minutes that the memories of fur clad women come back to mind. Yes, now this is all about animal and I can understand those who have found it unsavory. I've been sitting with it for some time now and my assessment of MM is that it is Guerlain's Idylle with a hefty dose of animal glands.

So for anyone wanting to deviate from the pretty floral and take a walk on the wild side, I would recommend this bad girl.

Thanks Scorpiosheep for the sample xx

Migalex
Migalex

Amazing scent. I love it. It smells to me very much of jasmine, but it is modulated in a very particular way. Although almost all female fragrances have jasmine, so they say, and many even in the name, I do not know of many current fragrances which do smell of jasmine, which I love, and this one does. To me it is a jasmine bomb. It is from my viewpoint very well conceived because Jasmine is as I said modulated in a very particular animalic way. Although the overall feel is very different, it does remind me of Ysatis. It has a very particular scent nevertheless and that is in part, I think, for having amber in the opening, It smells very animalic, since the beginning, and while the jasmine opens opulently and then the base notes give it another very deep animal touch. I think I smell these three levels very sharply. They burst out of it. I did not even know this brand, but by the way, the brand name is lovely, unusual and lovely.

goingblonde
goingblonde

Couldnt put my finger on the "odd" scent I was getting till I read the review below that said reminded them of a hospital - BINGO that is exactly it - a crisp clean antiseptic soapy smell -not crisp/clean in a good way- in a institutional way
UGH to that :(

No other notes come out for me

kankri
kankri

In the vial Mad Madame smelled very sweet and litchi-like to me. As soon as it actually touches my skin, though, all the sweetness is gone. My first impressions? Rose and patchouli, with a strange spiciness.

Later on, all that's left is that heavy spiciness, like black pepper (is this castoreum?), and something like a weak soapiness. Reminds me of a hospital, yes, the soapiness. No flowers, nothing. It makes me wonder if I've got a sample labeled incorrectly here, or something. It's not offensive or anything but I don't like it.

hellkat
hellkat

I wanted to really like Mad Madame, due to the fact that I have some friends who are "madams" and I would like to find a reason to gift it to one or other of them. But it opened nastily, smelling of pissy pants, and it gave me a headache. I tried really hard to find another smell but it was swamped with animal sex. I washed it off almost immediately and moved on to something else much much sweeter. But then I read some reviews, went back and decided to stick with it for longer. Took some paracetamol before I started ... Still opens smelling sharp, yes the animal thing comes right out at me and the traditional Juliette velvety rose is there but very heavily masked by civet. After 5-10 minutes, I can feel the amber/moss coming through as leather for me and (thankfully) the civet going away, not really getting chypre, but its drying into a pleasant floral sweetness. I complained of it to my bloke when he came home, and when he smelt it on my hand, he couldn't smell pissy pants at all, he said it was "rather lovely" ... so we experimented with putting some on him. He liked it very much, and in fact I wondered whether it would work as a unisex smell. After a while (perhaps positively influenced by my Beloved), Mad Madame grew on me. Quite a lot.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

Castoreum. What it is: Brace yourself—this food flavoring is extracted from the castor sac scent glands of the male or female beaver, which are located near the !! TERRIBLE!

0lga5
0lga5

Didn't like it at first, almost gave it away but decided to give another try, I'm glad i did! I would call this daring, defenetely for those days when you need to feel or to be seen strong or need a boost. For the same reason i can't help to think of Gucci Rush, not that they smell similar but they both bold and elegant, for a young active woman, certainly not one of the pink girly fragrances.

Ohkit
Ohkit

At first I didn't like it. No, It made me sick actually. But I gave this scent another try the second day and I don't regret it. It is wild, raw, metallic,animallic. Not your typical ladylike smell nor something you can be neutral about. You either hate it or love it. It is a strange combination of flowers, metal and the smell of a hospital room. Obviously not for the faint-hearted. Although I will not wear this, hands down for this original and powerful scent created in an era of sweet vanilla girly scents.

*sophi*
*sophi*

Love at first sniff ...this is very good! A chypre floral, with a strong jasmine-rose opening, but it grows dynamically with intense aromas of woods and moss becoming more intense and modern.The presence of patchouli is also evident giving depth to the composition . Very powerfully flavored, distinctive and modern.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

A very harsh opening which I did not like. Then I was shocked how much this reminded me off Lady Million by Paco Robane ? Am I the only one who noticed this ?
I did not smell any beavers in it lol, but I felt kinda dissapointed, expected more from JHAG.

hilda-marie
hilda-marie

tested it today. in the opening notes there was something I didn´t like, but now several hours later it is like youner and softer sister of sisley´s eau du soir. it is "green" parfum for me (at least on my skin)
may be the advertisment photos are not most welcome (personalliy I cann´t get any connections between those girls and the name of parfum. "mad madmoiselles" should be better? :)

PlunketNurse
PlunketNurse

Happy to be the first proper reviewer, Strange how notes can be reintepreted differently. What my card from Romano Ricci said : Rose "Oxyde" , Ambroxan, Patchoulli. Being very familiar with Ambroxan i can happily vouch for the heavy hand of it here, almost stiffling indeed, a stark contrast from the lovely and clean ambroxan dilution (aka Not a Perfume) This thick metallic amber note is animalic at the same time, and piled on with a fruity lychee-red rose (courtesy of the Rose Oxide , im pretty sure oxyde is a ingredient mispelling), again accentuated by Tuberose to bring out the lushness and overtly femininistic heaviness associated with perfumes of an older era. It is luxurious and decadent animalic floral with the right ingredients but wrong proportions, but a somewhat unbalanced one to me, due to the overload of ambroxan and sweetness.does not smell like a chypre, little development. Nice , i can see people adoring it, just not a masterpiece.

daisyM
daisyM

LOL, people! If our ancestors did not dress in those horrible furs, we would not be here to flag our political correctness!

smell<3like<3candy
smell<3like<3candy

I agree with what everyone is saying about the advertising photos. What. The. Hell. I picture a mature and sexy woman who is classy in a very old fashioned way and has gone a bit off the deep end. Not a twenty something in badly fitting jean shorts and a murdered animal. I can picture this woman "adopting" the nearby foxes, not wearing them. Perfume ads are a special art form and seeing them so badly executed makes me wonder if they managed to accomplish the "Mad Madame" concept in scent. I think they probably did not.

K4tr1n4nf
K4tr1n4nf

I know fur would be a huge hit this coming fall & winter season, but it doesn't match of what I personally think a Mad Madame would be. I think they're trying to be cutsy Cruella DeVille in the ads, which really doesn't convey madness and they don't look like they define what a madame is. When I think of the phrase Mad Madame I think of a women empowered on the verge of madness, like Catwoman or Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged. Looking at the base notes, I dare say it takes a strong personality to pull this off. I'm willing to give this a try because of the notes themselves, not for the ads.

truffles
truffles

Agree with leeyah. I'm shocked by the sight of the dead animal around the woman's neck in the ad. Wouldn't even bother to smell the perfume in protest at this. Anybody disagrees, I just don't care!

leeyah87
leeyah87

I am appalled and saddened by the use of fur in the ads that I could not even concentrate on the perfume description. Very distasteful advertising.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Juliette Has A Gun Mad Madame fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Juliette Has A Gun Mad Madame, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Mad Madame by Juliette Has A Gun. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Mad Madame by Juliette Has A Gun represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.