Designers » I-K » Oriental « Groups

Midnight Oud Juliette Has A Gun for women
dislike

oud
leather
Midnight Oud Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Midnight Oud Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures Midnight Oud Juliette Has A Gun for women Pictures

A new beauty, named Midnight Oud from Romano Ricci's niche line Juliette Has A Gun has just arrived on the market. Designer's ambition for launching this fragrance is to introduce a combination of rock and elegance, creating this romantic and original concept this way, which accompanies the whole collection and creates an image of modern and fragrant rebel.

As for the collection, apart from this fragrance, we can expect just one more edition, since it was planned that Juliette Has A Gun series would encompass 5 perfumes. The new fragrance Midnight Oud was inspired by oriental notes, including accords of Moroccan rose, oud, amber, several sorts of musk, saffron, geranium and patchouli oil. Rose is definitely a common symbol of the whole niche line and this time it is combined with special, mystical Oud tact in a wonderful way.

Midnight Oud arrives in a metallic flacon with engraved name and ornaments. Outer carton has cylindrical shape, just like previous editions, and is dressed in dark velvet with a satin ribbon as a feminine detail. The fragrance is available exclusively at Colette.fr in amount of 100 ml EDP. Midnight Oud was launched in 2009.

Saffron Papyrus Bergamot Damask Rose

Moroccan Rose Geranium Agarwood (Oud) Castoreum

Patchouli Sandalwood Amber Musk

Rose Nacree du Desert

Midnight Oud Fragrance Reviews

brynhimmel
brynhimmel

This is a really lovely warm frangrance. I am just getting back to enjoying fragrance after being too busy to try anything new. I tend to like heavier florals or orientals. Old faves have included Coco, Fendi, Fracas, Jasmine Noir, Angel, Jardins des Bagatelles, and for summer: Burberry London or Hannah Morae. Juliette Has a Gun Midnight Oud is definitely in my repetoire. I like the amber and sandalwood bottom notes, especially, and the rose and bergamont upper notes. Little surprises are the papyrus and geranium (I needed guidance to know these two were there, but once I knew what to look for I found them). I had a flashback to Fendi, if you can believe it though Midnight Oud is not nearly as heavy. I will invest in a bottle, without a doubt. Thank you, Fragrantica for helping me get back to perfume!

I enjoy Midnight Oud's feminine take on oud without the aid of candy notes or an overdose of florals. That is for about 15 minutes, at which point it starts to smell like turpentine and furniture polish.

K1
K1

The ratio of oud/rose combinations to entire perfume world is like the ratio of zombie horrors to entire horror cinema; almost occupied totally!
This new wave is getting larger and influencing every market, every region and every individual. However, among all these fragrances some are noble, Midnight Oud's one of which.
It initiates a bit sharp but settles quickly in floral burnt woody saffron-covered air. The beginning is just great but the show begins in the middle phase when the pronounced skank animalic mood appears and gives the blend a distinct elusive class.
I bought in when there were no name of oud in the markets but M7 and J del Pozo Arabian Nights. I bought it two weeks after I got Pozo's AN. I remember the bottle mesmerized me in the first glance. So I tested immediately but the shop was full of duck-face (four years ago duck-face was a rare type of human face; not so commonplace!) saleswomen with make-up overdose on their face who regularly try testers on themselves and layer them with another testers, so one barely could smell decent. So I was somehow a blind buy cause I didn't get rose accord there! Anyway, although I only wore once, I don't regret for a penny of it.

Bodda89
Bodda89

There is a copy cat fragrance available called Oud Azrak Mumayyaz in egypt belonging to one of the middle eastern brands and it's for $35 if you can lay a hand on it buy it instead

Kain
Kain

If you're into oud and rose combo and you want something complex with good quality and pleasant smell, this is a very good choice.
The opening is a warm and sweet vanilla scent mixed with oud, rose and saffron.
The oud note is strong but at the same time very well balanced with the other notes. vanilla is sweet but not syrupy or sugary. just sweet enough to tune down the bitterness woody aroma of the oud and at the same time give the scent a sensual feeling.
Both rose and saffron are at the same level of power at the start and they are supporting vanilla and oud very well.
In the mid the oud note settles down a little bit and rose goes to the background. at this part I can smell a dirty musky animalic feeling which gets stronger as time passes by but it's always a few steps behind saffron, vanilla and oud.
The mid is a very pleasant and gorgeous scent and I believe it's the best part of the fragrance.
The base is a simple creamy vanilla, very soft saffron and a little bit of patchouli completely in the background. oud is almost gone and there is no sign of that animalic musky feeling.
In the description of the fragrance it says feminine but this can be unisex for sure.
Projection is good and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
Overall it's a quality and well balanced rose, oud and saffron dominated fragrance but it's not my cup of tea at all because it contains a note that I truly hate! ROSE!
Thumbs up for the quality and overall smell.
Thumbs down for my own taste!

شخصا با وجود اینکه از این ترکیب سنتی عود و رز و زعفران متنفرم ولی بوی خوب این عطر و کیفیت ساخت مناسب شو نمیتونم انکار کنم
اگر از عطرهای با این ترکیب خوشتون میاد به نظر من این کار انتخاب خیلی بهتر و پیچیده تر و با کیفیت تری هست به نسبت بعضی کارای معروف مثل بلک عود مونتال
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با ترکیب آشنای عود، رز، زعفران و وانیل شروع میشه منتها خیلی بالانس تر و خوشبو تر از خیلی کارهای مشابهی که تاحالا بو کردم
عود قوی و کاملا مشخصه و حس چوبی تلخ و سنگینی به عطر میده منتها مثل کارای مونتال سینتتیک بی کیفیت نیست. کیفت خیلی خوبی داره
رایحه وانیل هم شیرین و در عین حال ملایمه و شیرینیش اینقدر زیاد نیست که دل آدمو بزنه مثل این شربت نذری های کوفتی که تو هیئت های عزاداری پخش میکنن
شیرینی متعادلش باعث میشه که هم تلخی چوب عود تا حدی گرفته بشه و هم یه حس جذاب و دلپذیر به رایحه کلی عطر بده
رز و زعفران کاملا بوشون مشخصه اما بیشتر نقش رایحه ساپورت کننده رو دارن و کمی ضعیفتر از عود و وانیل هستن
با گذر زمان عود کمی ضعیفتر میشه و رز هم ضعیف میشه و میره تو حاشیه قرار میگیره
تو این مرحله یه بوی ملایم و البته مشخص کثیف و حیوانی مانند که به خاطر بوی مُشک هست به عطر اضافه میشه
رایحه میانی به نظر من بهترین قسمت عطره چون این ترکیب عود، وانیل، حس کثیف و حیوانی مشک و زعفران در مجموع خیلی خوب با هم مچ شدن و بوی دلپذیری رو ایجاد کردن
تو رایحه پایه عود و رز و اون رایحه حیوانی مشک تقریبا از بین رفتن و فقط یه بوی نیمه شیرین و ملایم وانیل و زعفران باقی مونده به اضافه رایحه خیلی خفیف نعنای هندی که کل خوشبو و بی آزاره
پخش بوی خوبی داره و ماندگاریش هم در حد 6-7 ساعت روی پوست هست که عدد نسبتا خوبیه
در مجموع بدون در نظر گرفتن سلیقه شخصی عطر خوب و خوشبو و با کیفیتیه
اما اگر بخوام سلیقه شخصی خودمو هم قاطی کنم مجانی هم بدن این عطرُ استفاده نمیکنم
نکته آخر اینکه این عطر زنانه عنوان شده اما خیلی راحت میتونه یونیسکس باشه

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

This is a good introduction to Oud, if this is synthetic which I guess at the price it should be, it's not a bad attempt at the real thing. Up front I get the rose, oud and saffron which nicely spices the other two notes up. These three are the major actors in this, with patchouli, amber and musk having smaller supporting roles. The sillage and longevity are fantastic but I have never had a problem with JHAG so far. Comparing this rose/oud combination with others that I have, I would say that this comes across harsher, more like the Montales than compared to the likes of MFK's Oud or Mona di Orio's Oud. However if I had not come across these, the harshness would not be apparent. After the loud opening, the drydown is much tamer, a warm musky and woody rose. Overall this is a lovely floral oriental and if I were starting out again, this would be a great addition to my wardrobe. Not meaning to take attention away from Midnight Oud, but for those who can't or won't fork out the 100 odd dollars this goes for even on auction sites, there are many less pricey Arabian oils and perfumes with the same structure of notes, scent and performance.

theberry33
theberry33

I wasn't expecting to like this. Up to this point I though oud was reserved for the more mature ladies out there(I'm 19). Boy, I was wrong. I love this perfume. It starts off smelling a bit like a medicine cabinet but shortly after that turns into a sexy,dark,very beautiful fragrant mix of rose and saffron. Up close it smells a bit intense,but as you move you get the most gorgeous wafts of the scent.It is a bit like Agent Provocateur gone naughtier,darker,better.

la_clope
la_clope

a sheer, delicate rose/oud gauze. not quite my thing. for me this perfume smells exactly like Grès Cabaret, I'm surprised only one person's comment below mentioned it. it is like 99% identical from the beginning to the end to my nose. i can also detect some resemblance to la perla original and agent provocateur original as well, now that the reviews below reminded me. it's just a very light perfume, though the lasting power is very good. there is nothing intense about this perfume, i am afraid i just can't say yes to some of the reviews here.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Thank you Ambience for the sample of this gorgeous fragrance. THIS is an oudh I absolutely love. Good sillage and lasting power. Sweet but not cloying. I detect similar notes to my beloved La Perla, and so I won't be purchasing it at this stage, but it'll be in the back of my mind. Mm mmmm!

pravda48
pravda48

I would write a lengthy and loving review here but, alas, I find it somehow too magical to do so at the moment.

If there were an 'ADORE' button, this would earn my click.

Absolutely my favorite oud scent to date. FB'd the night after sampling it and it's remained just as wonderful as that first whiff ever since.

There is something at once dark and upliftingly effervescent about this. If I didn't know better I'd say there was quite a bit of the signature JHAG ambroxan/cetalox in this one, too, but it could be just the most sparkling variety of amber. Either way something about this absolutely lifts it in a way I've never experienced an oud before. To take such a heavy theme as this and still make it feel 'zestful' is quite a magic trick.

Love, love, LOVE....

Ohhh JHAG. Fine, take another chunk of my paycheck ;)

polly golightly
polly golightly

puzzissima. le note citate nella descrizione sono, in primo luogo, oud e rosa. sulla mia pelle, di qualunque cosa si tratti, è un disastro. l'oud del tutto impercettibile, la rosa e lo zafferano rendono un sentore di medicinale assolutamente nauseabondo.

angel6
angel6

Of all Juliet has a gun line this is the only one I would buy, this perfume gives a very elegant and misterous aura. I have a sample and to me it has the same vibe of Robert Piguet'Calypso. If you like Calypso you should like Midnight Oud.

yvashche
yvashche

Yes! I love Midnight Oud. For an oud lover, it is hard to find something new to love but that is exactly what has happened here: I bought this blind, using reviews and notes as my guide and I came out the winner. Not only is this a gorgeous rose/oud combo, you can actually smell the saffron! I have not been able to find any saffron perfume that smelled good or lasted, so this is a winner on both the saffron note and the oud/rose note. I love the beautiful arabesque gold bottle and the lasting power, unlike Romantina, is aswesome. I could not be happier.

Amos Jolthead
Amos Jolthead

Up front MO smelled initially like a medicine cabinet, dentists office, or some type of anesthesia. This medicine-y type of aura is met by the saffron, which softens the heaviness of the initial impression. For me, this is off the bat a rose oud/patchouli mix as far as I can tell. Other notes stand out, too. The castoreum is not prominent, compared to the rose and oud notes, but you can tell it’s there. And it adds a little bit of a twist to this scent, though ultimately not affecting it one way or the other. Later on, the musk and patchouli appear, and it basically dies down from there, though I don’t find that any other combination of notes ruins the mix of the rose/oud. I’m not sure what to think. I don’t hate it, but I don’t really like it either. I’m not sure I would even want to smell this on a girl. It’s not that I’d hate it, but this just doesn’t do anything for me personally.

I think if you like rose and oud then you will like this. I am not a big fan of rose - it just smells too feminine to me. So, I do not agree with some who have said this is somewhat masculine, but of course this is just personal opinion. But if you like those two main notes, in a strong, but not overly intoxicating way, then MO might be a good option.

brada
brada

there's no oud here.There's a lot of rose.But it has no
powerness and the jiucy is dazzled and confused.I've expected more.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

Midnight Oud is one of the rare fragrances that I love from beginning to the end. It starts out strong like many have mentioned a blast of sharp bergamont quickly followed by saffron which smells amazing in this! It is rich and spicy. Slowly the rose and oud start to emerge it smells it bold and absolutely amazing. I'm quite new oud notes and haven't quite figured out how to describe them just yet, but it is pretty potent in this fragrance. Even though I say it is potent I find Midnight Oud to be a wearble fragrance that challenges me, because it is quite complex and multifaceted. The rose is deep and smooth and adds depth but balances out the potency of the oud. I also pick up a small about of patchouli. A big player in this has to be musk I can smell it in various strengths throughout the fragrance, its not quite clean yet it is not a dirty musk either. I swear there is also a tiny bit of sweet ambrette in this at the dry down when it still barely hanging on to my skin for the day. I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some Iso-E Super hanging out in here somewhere too, because it has that distinct Juilette Has a Gun vibe that I find in most of the fragrances I have expierenced from this house.

I am absolutely in love which this fragrance! I used to not be a fan of oud until recently and this fragrance is a great one to start with. The lasting power is great as well I would say about 8 hours maybe longer even. There is a lot of sillage at the beginning of Midnight Oud but it eventually calms down about an hour or so into the fragrance. If you ever have the chance to try this one go for it! I can say this has to be y favorite Juliette Has a Gun fragrance so far.

ranchorita
ranchorita

I feel strange saying so, but something about this reminds me of Goop with which one cast little rubbery figures in a 1970s toy called a Thingmaker, and while it's not an unpleasant association, it's not something I want in a perfume accord.

I'm utterly besotted with Calamity J, and I love the spirit, packaging and energy of the JHAG line, but Midnight Oud is not a favorite on my skin. There is something definitely metallic about this, and it's unusual, but it's a bit of a mystery to me. I will update when I've explored the decant further, but for now, this is not a fit for me.

My girlfriend had tried the one JHaG fragrance I have which is 'Anyway' and liked it, so I got her a bucket load of samples from my good friends at Selfridges.
I think she is well keen on the brand now and as such was excited to try Midnight Oud.
When she did however, she was quite taken a back by the potency of the opening and didn't like it!
In my opinion I thought it was excellent, a superb, unique and feminine Oud/rose combo with saffron patchouli and musk making a beautifully middle eastern vibe. I love saffron especially with oud but it's somewhat of an acquired taste and this has quite a lot in there.
Anyway...
She completely changed her mind after 20 mins or so as it dried down and settled on her skin, Midnight Oud started to work it's magic.
After a few hours she was in love and said "I have to get this!" (Don't know if that was a hint?)
Don't get me wrong I love Oud and rose and have lots of things similar but this just sets itself apart as more of a scent for the ladies.
Great fragrance and the price is up there but not too bad.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

This is a gritty, metallic, rock 'n roll rose that has some secret Voodoo for amplifying your power.

Why does this remind me of the French Quarter in New Orleans? And vampires riding motorcycles, and that strange lilt in the Creole language? The wooden shutters on the windows in the afternoon and black leather pants worn with flowers in my hair.

ABSOLUTE LOVE.

aphexacid
aphexacid

My goodness this stuff is STRONG!

The opening is so damn potent!

I had to get that out of the way before i go any further.

Midnight Oud has intrigued me for some time now. I had a sample for months. On certain days i loved it and wanted to buy a bottle immediately. On other days, i was so put off by the amount of safran in it, i didn't want to ever wear it again.

As i neared the end of my sample, i told myself i needed to make a decision. Its NEVER taken me so long to make a decision.

So i decided to buy it! And now that i own a full bottle of it, not much has changed LOL! Except that i swear its MUCH stronger than my sample.

I wish so badly that the rose was more prominent. i feel like that would fix everything for me. I thought about writing a review and just saying "THIS SHOULD BE CALLED MIDNIGHT SAFRAN!".

Safran is REALLY prominent here! Then oud, then a touch of rose.

Its so intense and so in your face, i really feel like if they cranked up the rose a little it would have softened it up.

I LOVE strong perfumes. Tauer, Montale, Tom Ford, Amouage. All that. None have brought me to my knees like this one. Maybe its the particular blend of notes, and not so much the strength. But i can't tell you enough that the first few minutes are almost unbareable!

This lasts a LOOOOONG time. VERY long. I don't even know how long. TOO long probably.

The projection is MIND MELTING. For at least the first hour or so. Then it dies down to normal levels.

Sheesh!

I love the bottle. Its gold colored glass. If you shine a light through it you can see the liquid level. The cap is HEAVY. The box i'm not a fan of because i hate brown.

SAMPLE FIRST!

PS: How on earth could anyone think this smells like Rose Anonyme? Rose anonyme is a vibrant, light, sweet rose, with touch of oud.
Not even in the same book!

starvega
starvega

Disclaimer: this is my first try of oud, ever. I see mentions of oud being an acquired taste and I am definitely feeling that. I am getting the rubbery note, quite strongly. In fact, this overwhelms pretty much all other scents for me, and there are just glimmers of softness floating behind.

Update after three hours: I can only smell the rubber if I push my nose against my skin, and a musky, animalic smell has come out to play with a mild floral. Not getting any rose, though.

It starts quite masculine and smoky, but the end result is soft and musky. I do love what I've tried of JHAG so far, so I will have to try it a few more times and see if I acquire this love of oud that so many of you have :-)

elusivek
elusivek

Goodness, first sprayed this gives me the cross-eyed olfactory bliss that only a few perfumes have ever been able to.

I get a blast of citrusy freshness (bergamot), a healthy dose of Oud, strong in the beginning but it mellows a bit (I would like it to stay a bit stronger throughout the wearing but it fades away after a couple hours), along with savory spices (the description states Saffron but it smells like a blend unless the saffron is used in a completely different way than I've ever smelled), and and a wave of leather. I swear the blend hits on several parts of my brain at one time, it's wild!

However, after it settles down, the leather is the first to fade away, little by little, the oud, and finally, the spice.

The final stage it ends out being a resinous deep rose brightened by the bergamot and it is nearly identical to Washington Square with a hint of spice in its last stage.

Sillage is strong, longevity is 8+ hours. Definitely more complex than Washington Square and lasts longer.

It should be noted that I find Midnight Oud to be the day version of Montale's Aoud Queen Roses. The rose and oud in Montale's are a bit more dirty and better suited for night, as opposed to Midnight Oud which imo is brighter and more suited for day - well, for the daring anyway. Midnight Oud is no shrinking violet by any means.

KaseyC
KaseyC

Just opened this bottle, sprayed once on my wrist and checked how the oud smells like. The opening is an oud note which is like the scent of burning some dry woods and leaves. Some people may not like this scent. However, since I was born in Asia and I am so used to the incense scent so I don't have problem with it. After a few minutes, the rose note takes over and it has become a very feminine and mature scent. After a few more minutes, it has become a sweet scent composed of different notes with rose dominates. Overall, it's an interesting perfume. It offers luxe and elegance. In my opinion, it's more suitable for mature women. I'd suggest wearing it in the evening. I can picture a sexy lady in a long dress driving her car to attend an evening party in a metropolitan city. I cannot say I love it at first sniff. But I am sure I don't hate it and I am happy to have it in my collection. After my sleep, that is, 7 hours, I can still smell the lovely and strong rose scent on my wrist. AMAZING! Highly recommended for those in love with roses and looking for a serious and elegant fragrance.

ouchka
ouchka

Looking for a rose perfume, I found in midnight oud the perfect rose smell.
Not your light fluffy rose, rather an ode to old pungent and rich roses. This perfume lasts on me forever (12+ hours) and it never turns into a rancid rose, just a sublime rich and powerful rose scent, not old fashioned nor modern.
I do not get lots of compliments when I wear it but I love to wear it in cold months when the mood strikes.

Animato
Animato

On me I smell a giant dose of saffron.
There is very little oud in it, even though the tiny bit of it, I feel, makes the saffron less gourmand and more perfumey-smelling. I am a little bit dissapointed for getting more saffron than rose and leather.

But it is still a beautiful and elegant scent. You have to be a saffron lover to wear it though. It feels like a more 'female-friendly' version of Saffron Oud by Montale.

So I wont add this one to my collection, even though I would not mind to smell it on a co-worker or a friend.

vertoxrealms222
vertoxrealms222

Has become one of my favourites, beautiful compostion, and personally find the price to be quite fair as well. definately in my Portrait Of A Lady and black aoud section, also reminds alot of the old ajmal 2. Real Beauty this is

without
without

عطر جميل وعبير الورد واضح وهو نسائي بإمتياز .. الأفضل بخه على الجلد فقط أما الملابس فيعطي رائحة سيئة تختلف تماماً عن الرائحة الأصلية ..

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

Love at first sniff, wow it's gooood, my first honest life impulse when I smelled it. I love oud, but it is also in itself a rather dark masculine scent. But this is a creamy mitigated oud, like the lovechild from the oud and the sandalwood. Super feminine and sexy. My favorite from Juliette Has A Gun so far. Suitable for the bottle, pure gold.

mozzaa
mozzaa

So I got this one b/c as a reviewer here eloquently called it oud for the unintiated. I've always found traditonal oud a bit overwhelming. I love Rose Oud by Kilian but find it outrageously expensive. JHAG Midnight Oud had about the same compostition and it was less of a burden on the wallet. I like it very much when I can smell it. It is a very distinct scent but it truly has several layers. If you can wait to make it past the first burned plasticy layer you will bathe in a delicate rose scent that is persistently there -even though you think it is not. The longevity is amazing- I put it on at night- showered twice the next day yet still got a whiff of it every so often. It is one classy perfume- do I love it? No, but I like it very much.

beata4u2
beata4u2

I just love rose and oud combination and can't get enough of it! Some people complain about the plastic and/or metal note in JhaG, and that's true, it is there. This note makes JhaG somehow sharper and in a way cooler. And that's why I like it. I've been using Guerlain Rose Nacree du Desert since beginning of May and I absolutely adore it, but recently I wanted something 'less lovely', 'less easy on the skin'. JhaG fits the bill perfectly. My only complain would be it longevity which is not so great. But I like it anyway.

Update: So I bought JhaG and I was slightly disappointed - I couldn't smell it at all. But every now and then I would catch a whiff of something gorgeous and delicate, very subtle, beautifully smelling. It took me few hours to realise this great scent was coming from my own wrists, whenever I moved my hands to move hair from my face, to wave to somebody at work or when I gesticulated while speaking. After a while all the sharpness of JhaG disappears - and what is left is very discreet and yet sensual. Where is your gun Juliette? :-)

JodieW1992
JodieW1992

This fragrance is beautiful - customers coming in to our perfumery always ask for oud. Trying this fragrance I was very overwhelmed & not very keen, as the day went on and the fragrance settled I became more and more drawn in. Our customers love this one - and so do I, well done again to Juliette has a gun, my favourite niche brand has succeeded once again.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

this smells EXACTLY like Al rehab Saat Safa

HLVTCA09
HLVTCA09

i got this one in the sample kit. I was quite interested in this one, just because it sounded interesting. when i sprayed it on my arm, it was overwhelming! it made me cough for a sec. i did not expect such a strong scent at all..

First sniff is burned plastic with some musk.. made me cough instantly (reflex?)

After a few minutes the burned plastic is still prominent, but blended with saffron and woods and something like animalic, like when you go to the circus (nervous, sweaty animals on small space).

really weird scent... i still like it just because it is the most unique scent i have ever smelled. I won't say it smells bad, i just would not wear it myself.
Very interesting and special.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

this is really similar to Agent Provocateur on my skin, with the addition of a nice, strong, easy to wear, Oud note.

Not much more to add, but I must say, this is quite rich and nice, but you have to love the Oud vibe!

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

This is an oud for the uninitiated. It starts off balmy and fresh and then is sweetened slightly by the rose note and settles into a wonderful balmy, almost medicinal, woody pine forest aroma. I love this frag! It's beautiful without being flowery or cloying, it's fresh and light and unusual.
Oud is most certainly an acquired taste but this one is fresh and resinous without being dirty and earthy as some ouds can be.
I adore all JHAG frags but this has to be one of the most delightful and unusual.
Sillage, sits close to the skin,
Longevity, lasts all day on my skin.
Wonderfulness, 11/10.

liliana darriba
liliana darriba

La fragancia más desagradable de mi vida, lo peor es que la compré sin probarla ya que no habia tester, pero fue mayor mi curiosidad de conocerla.
Reune características que me encantaría encontrar en perfumes que me gusten, como la intensidad, permanencia en la piel(de la que doy fe, ya que al no soportarla me lavé el brazo y aun así ahi seguía) y en el ambiente, originalidad que no se le puede negar, un hermoso envase....
No encuentro la forma de salvarla, intenté dejármela durante horas para ver si el paso del tiempo ayudaba,intenté probarla en un hombre, pero fue inútil, siguió siendo lo más espantoso que olí hasta el momento, soy una gran fanática de los perfumes,logicamente hay notas y flias que me gustan más que otras pero esto para mí es único, asqueroso!! alguien lo quiere?

Morticia
Morticia

Midnight Oud is the first oud perfume i try and i have to say that i like it a lot
it's totally different from anything i've smelled so far
i like the resinous/woody/spicy feeling of oud, it reminds me of walks in the forest
it brings up good memories of my father when he used to return home from the woods and his clothes smelled of wood,resins,leaves and soil
a comforting smell i've experienced as a child in my village
the perfume has a l-oud opening and when it calms down it becomes a bit sweeter from the rose
the quality of the rose here is this of a loukoum but very spicy and resinous and not very sweet
the notes are very well blended and except oud and rose i can't seperate the others to my nose, except maybe the geranium (it's a strong note)
it's mysterious,elegant,seductive,magical
perfect for night use and for the woman who wants to stand out in a crowd
i believe it can be used by both genders since it's not very sweet

Mezmoran
Mezmoran

The most hypnotic perfume I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. Haunting sexy deep and mysterious. Love Love LOVE!!!

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

In the beginning I thought I have to give it away but after the 2nd try I start liking it. It feels like a warm, nice blanket which covers you with a lovely, "cosy" smell.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Love! Like some of the other reviewers, I just didn't really get the rose as a big part of this. There is a floral note that is bound to, almost obscured by, the woody/musky/patch, but to me it didn't jump out as a great big rose. The soft, warm, woody drydown is right up my street.

Insensé
Insensé

I definitely love oud, and this time with rose (a note I usually am not fond to). The night I wore this beauty, I had so much fun watching and singing irish music in a pub that I will always associate the memory of that night to this scent. Dark (not too much) rosy, lasting forever, amazing for me.
Unfortunately I could not wear it anymore, as my daughter stole me the rest of the sample! :)

LaLaPop75
LaLaPop75

Oud is love or hate. It either exposes itself and overwhelms, or is hides and is shy. This oud is dancing and lauging in your face...HA! what can you do now?!? Wait for progression, or go wash me off! I personally love oud. It is so unique and vulgar at times. I do love this perfume, rose and oud is always nice. If you love this scent..I strongly suggest Dior Oud Ispahan...a darker/deeper, very vulgar oud...however, as all good oud's do, they turn into lovliness! One more suggestion, Thierry Mugler Miroir des Voluptes...one of my favorite ouds!

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Now it may be the omniscent of the moment but I'm not through with oud quite yet and the offer of an oud/patchouli/rose mix in Juliette Has A Gun's Midnight Oud was oud hard to resist.

Woah - as our fire arm totting heroine might say - what an unholy mess!

I mean there's blood on the walls from the word go with this frag.

If Tabac Blond is a bar brawl between friends then this is full cowboy roughneck gun totting saloon bar warfare.

It's great but brutal.

And whilst it softens down into something rich and sensual - damask rose heavily crossed with saffron and tempered with sweet amber - think of the boudoir of a Wild West burlesque star - it's not without a fight. The oud and doesn't want to let go of this dry down and neither does the sharp-toothed castoreum - we've strayed into his lodge and he's not happy about it or about letting us depart unhurt!

When I'm feeling brave and more John Wayne than Marion Morrison I will return be-Stetson-ed, Colt 45 at the hip and ready to stand up and fight - I won't be run out of town twice...

By the way I'm a guy lost in the world of women's perfume with only your wise words to guide me. Add to the debate and help decide what I'm wearing next at the thread 'what made for women fragrances can or should a man wear?'.

I am your humble servant.

neenets
neenets

This perfume has received a lot of insightful comments. What can I add? It's my favourite in the line (for its oddness and surprises) and it smells like a big bouquet of freshly cut, guess what flowers? Tulips, yes red tulips wrapped in cellophane and sprayed over with a bug spray (in a lovely way). Who could have guessed that?

Baldric
Baldric

This strikes me as oud for beginners, and since I'm a beginner I find it quite enjoyable. This is my second favorite from JHAG after lady V. If lady vengeance is too floral for you, and vengeance extreme was too patchouli for you, give this one a try. The oud is very light and serves to cut into the sweetness of the rose and give it a darker undercurrent. This is the sort of smell I was expecting from lady vengeance. The fragrance is long lasting but much softer than any other oud I have tested. Divine.

vergil_s
vergil_s

یه کار ارینتال و سنگین بر پایه ی رز و عود و زعفران.
عطر خاصیه اما خیلی ایرانی پسندی نیست.
ولی باز تو کارای بر این پایه خوش بوست.
واسه خانوم های سن بالا مناسبه.
ولی به دلیل سنگینی فکر کنم اقایون هم بتونن استفاده کنن
بازم میگم که بسته بندی خیلی شیکه.

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

Had this on my to-buy list but after sampling it I am glad I did not blind buy this based on reviews.Of cos it's classified feminine and I thought the oud in this will negate this classification and get me to enjoy it.

the oud here is so faint I hardly get it.there's just a prominence of rose and it does strongly go forever.there are loads of rose scents around for me to have whiffs of and will gladly skip it and never ever miss the notes.

Given the ridiculous price it sells for this is a disappointment.I was looking for a fair balance of oud and rose not forgetting the patchouli but to end up smelling largely of roses is not going to get my hard earned cash.Let's not forget by its very name,oud should be prominent here and that is my main beef with this offering.Any other name would have been fine but not Midnight Oud.It's unfitting.but that's not to take away from it being a nice composition.

Hold on,does this mystical oud appear at midnight????

suhaesa
suhaesa

a beautiful collaberation between the east and the west ..i used to mix oud long ago with french perfumes and almost get there 10 years before the oud trend hit european markets..but is this particular one it was a job well done its a very deep sensual ambery oudy scent that takes you to new realms like you are transformed in to an arabian princess in the 10001 nights ..some how other perfumes of this kind dont have that velvety warm embracing aroma..maybe thiery muglar mirror mirror collection des voloptous thery can come close to it, but is harsher ..mor atuned for the arabic noses.also david urman limited edition is similar and just as fine with more rose..i love them all but juliet has a gun is a sure winner and a good place to get to know arabian perfumary i consider it as the ambassador of arabia to the west...

rating 4.5 out of 5

serflayg
serflayg

Estoy fascinado con esta fragancia, destila lujo y misterio en cada gota. fui a la tienda de perfumes y la probe no podía alejar mi nariz de mi muñeca camine unas cuadras, volví y me la compré y si bien es una frgancia de mujer se instala perfectamente en la piel masculina.

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

This is a VERY intense oud 'vehicle'. Wherever you travel, the oud will certainly follow you. After the oud settles on you skin, prepare yourself to be showered in damask rose petals (musky, dusty-scented, vintage rose petals).

I think you have to be strong of character to pull this one off. Midnight Oud has to be one of the most honest Oriental fragrances around at the moment. It's also VERY smoky as well - it reminds me of Guerlain's Shalimar. I'm still getting used to these smoky fragrances! I might add that after wearing Midnight Oud for nearly 24 hours, I can smell the roses. In fact, upon awakening I copped a huge whiff of roses. The roses become far more prevalent on the second day. There's sandalwood and amber on the drydown which rounds it off beautifully. It's VERY unusual. If you're a perfume fanatic, you MUST explore this realm of fragrance. I've proudly added this to the 'notch' in my belt of fragrances. I consider it a coming of age scent-wise.

greydove
greydove

A tranquil, hypnotic, and beautifully blended woody rose. Softer and more subtle than I expected, and also drier. I'm torn between this and White Aoud. Leaning towards the latter, but this one keeps wafting up from my arm and blowing me away...Perfect sillage too <3

Sorry so long :)

nikkimouse

''ahhhh, now this is what real perfume smells like''.... that was my first thought.

The rose is so lucid and extreemly realistic, it's dirtied up by the patchouli, and the oud is very soft, just helping to add a touch of dry woods.. a sour'ish (i mean this in a good way) kind of smell but in a beautiful way - somewhat ... ''balsamic''?

What I really love about Midnight oud, is that the Saffron is not overpowered by other spices... only a touch of carnation. Saffron in and by itself is a very delicate soft spice, beautiful and very expensive. Often we think we are smelling Saffron in our perfume because we see it listed in the notes.. but it usually comes with other spices like bay leaf or coriander or cardamom (one of my favorites also).. etc.. or a very heavy dose of carnation. In M.O. I can truely smell the gorgeous Saffron in all it's beauty.

Musk helps to keep this balanced not too heavy... there is a certain lucidity to M.O. a kind of clairvoyancy in it's scent. IF you are one who is not familiar with certain vintages or niche perfumes, and you take a sniff of this (or nearly anything from this house) you will know what I mean when I say this smells expensive, it smells so much more natural and gorgeous than anything you've smelled that even if this isn't the perfume for you, you will respect and admire it, and seek out something with similar quality. This is the point of no return. Mall frags just wont due after this point. You are now on a journey and have opened the pandora's box of perfumery... who you meet along the way and what you learn may amaze and delight you :P

Super Feminine, in a way that is not girly

And to the peeps that have ordered their sample packs from JHAG and found this one to be your least favorite..... give it time, don't throw it away/give it away. You WILL come back to this at some point and realise it's amazing beauty

To the guys, it's like that strange beauty, that you never considered seriously because she was too different. But when you took the time to get to know her, you then realised that the others, don't even fair in coparison and could kick yourself for waisting so much time.... she was there all along

BTW ... Midnight out is a limited eddition just as 'not a perfum' Romeo Ricci, actually didn't want MO to be part of the line up ?? pssh, go figure

iritkaiaa120
iritkaiaa120

This was the first perfume that introdiced me to oud scent. At the first sniff I thought to myself that there must be something wrong with my sample. No way anyone will intentionlly use a rubber scent in a perfume. But at he same time I could not stop sniffing my arm. In half an hour it developed into the most beautiful perfume I found in the last couple of years.

Very sensual, very feminine, very gorgeous!!!

Mnemsys
Mnemsys

Didn't really get the chance to try this, as my boyfriend confiscated my sample imediately. Love it on him, it smells subtle and mysterious, yet very manly. Not sure how this would be on a woman, I'm not eager tro try, as I'm sure it won't beat the way it smells on him.

sergio.fiorenzi
sergio.fiorenzi

Very nice perfume, it reminds me black aoud montale.

OZ
OZ

Midnight oud opens very sour and rosy, a bit like rotten garbage, however not totally unlikable. It's very different. The fragrance then dries down into and soft powdery citrus, very good silage and very lady-like, not sweet and innocent like Miss Charming. I love it, however, if oud is what you want, give Oud Wood by Tom Ford a try.

MyNoirBeehive
MyNoirBeehive

LOVE the drydown! I agree with previous posters that there's a rough top note but it dissipates on me within 10 minutes and then warm, spicy/woody heaven. It glows! Rich and seductive-- and sure, a bit masculine, even with the discernable rose. I'd love to smell this on a man.

rosembloom
rosembloom

Great review LollipopSneeze... I long to get my hands on those. Kind of u to share that info! Will be on the sniffout:the notes sound gorgeous,voluptious and yes, grounding... add to test list ;)

lhollingdrake
lhollingdrake

I love oud, but I love it with more L: L-oud! This oud whispers. Turn up the volume Juliette. A girl with a gun aint afraid of oud.

chiomzie.chifrost
chiomzie.chifrost

Mostly want this because i hear its the next best thing to the exquisite "le feu d'issey"

jane.rome
jane.rome

Starts out much like Montale's AQR, but has a sweeter drydown. It's also similar to a very watered down and wearable Shatha al Oudh by Rasasi (which I could not even fathom wearing, it was so headache inducing). More feminine than other oud/rose combos, but still more or less inerchangable.

*sophi*
*sophi*

„Dark Rose Beauty of Spices”
Midnight Oud is a dark,resinous and spicy rose scent.
It opens with a nice spicy burst of rose .Elegant,mysterious and i would definitely could compared to Midnight poison by Dior.
The heart of scent unfolds heavy resinous tones of oud and oilness of castoreum.
It's magical and mysterious.
The basis takes over to amber and patchouli.Yes, there is the patchouli element in this scent.It feels quite unisex and the fragrance lasts more than averange(over 12 hours )and it's for evening wear.
The perfume is perfect for those who adore the rose scents to be different ,heavy ,dark and woody.Oud fans also...

iivanita
iivanita

i dont understand people who say they smell rose in this?? there is 0 rose in it...its oudand safran only! no rose at all, its very medicinal (thats the oud) and musculine from all of the JHAG and its so clean it smells like you have just washed yourself with something different then soap --this is oud and its modern one, it smells aristocratic to me, because no other parfumes i had ever had it

Oh my. Midnight Oud has a very rough start but finish nicely. The sharp (almost like herbal medicine) opening is almost unbearable for me, but I hang on. Once it settles down, it's pretty gorgeous. It's very oudy and mildly spicy. Rose and patchouli are very hippie too. I find it kinda masculine. Guys, pack your own gun. Then go on and try this. Don't be afraid of this Juliette.

stacia79
stacia79

At first, the only thing I could smell was gasoline/ Sharpie marker. Awful, piercing, headache inducing. But I gave it a chance because that's part of how the experimenting works. After the longest 20 minutes of my life, it settled into an extremely heady rose with the patchouli and the oud always felt at the background. Not so bad anymore. It smells super masculine in my opinion, and I just could not shake that gas station association.

Lorenna
Lorenna

This is the only JHG I don't like at all...:( it's so strong, so mature, so masculine...

adesoprano
adesoprano

The first time I hated it, I thought it was horrible with that burnt tire note - The Oud. But today, after three months, tried it again, and it's another story. It is a dark rose, and it is very sexy. After 8 hours it is still very intensive.

id
id

The opening has an accord of some kind of medicine but this doesn't last too long and develops into rosy smell with prominent note of oud. Then the scent stays quite linear on my skin. Longevity is pretty good, though. About 8 hours for me.

Hilaire
Hilaire

I get plenty of Musk (tangy real smelling musk) and the Rose, Saffron and Oud are a symphonic accord hovering infront of this musky background.

I think the Geranium and Rose add something to the Saffron note and make it brighter and more floral, but the Saffron and Oud are dominant. Oud here is used in it's somewhat mouldy, marshy, dank aspect to give depth and piquancy and is complimented by the Patchouli.

I really like this, it reminds me of several other perfumes, the Saffron note reminds me of Theo Fennel, and there are hints of Ormonde Jayne's Ta'if in there too.

I think this is actually sublime.

Edit: I've realised why I love this so much, it reminds me very strongly of Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake (my all time favourite perfume), especially in the drydown! I'm wearing both Midnight Oud and Etra by Etro (which is very like Le Feu and often recommended to those who loved the discontinued Miyake cult perfume) and there are strong similarities, Etra is fresher, fruitier and broader, while Midnight Oud replicates the humming depth and warm spiciness of Le Feu more accurately IMO. I'm not sure yet if layering them might work and conjure up Le Feu d'Issey even more perfectly. But for those of us who mourn the passing of Le Feu d'Issey Midnight Oud could be a very pleasing substitute!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

The first time I tested this, it was winter and I loved it. I believe the oud was more pronounced in the cold weather. Now I am testing it again, in warm weather, and it smells like rubbery rose, which is nearly headache inducing.

I look forward to testing this again in cold weather to see if my nose has changed, or if this is really such a season-specific fragrance.

swedeangel
swedeangel

Lovely!At first try i hated it,smelled only booze,brandy maybe ,and something burned - horrible!! Is that the Oud,then ill do without it was my thought.

But give it half an hour at least,and the boozynesss is gone,the saffron too and all i can smell now is ROSE.
Definitively a scent for roselovers!
The most realistic rose i ever felt,not syntetic and sweet and " rosey", like they always are whatever rose they claim to smell like.
No this is the thing! ROSE,with thorns,the earthy non sweet true rosescent yoy feel from a real rosebush!

Its beautiful,strong and it stays there forever on you !
Im in love!

Belil
Belil

Rich oriental beauty. Love it dearly.
A perfect perfume for a strong girl with a dark side. Very gothic earthy and dark. The lasting power is extreme and it changes so many times before the sweet gentle dry down. Many lighter perfumes get darker as they mature, yet this baby gets lighter. It's like this girl is dangerous, but she has a soft side.
This perfume is so many things puslating and vafting about, I'm just sad that my nose is not as trained or not as sharp to get the separete notes and distinct them from one another in this masterpiece. I bow lowly down.

Eyla
Eyla

This is the most beautiful oud recreated in a perfume that I had a chance to smell to date.
it begins with tremendous intensity, baked Saffron, oud, animal amber and musk (everything wrapped in a creamy undertone) in it's power of attacking the nose with the force of attacking an unconquerable tower, and the excess of emotion and intensity is quite clean and develops in hours and hours to come. moving into lighter notes begins with sensation of patchouli and rose, and this appears a good half of the day later - but this Rose is the least impressive, even coming wearing a flag of femininity, because in the time of her ruling you already have sided with the hero Oud and his cohorts.

at the first breath, that was it, I found myself with a gun Juliette has created for my use and one day when I want to deal with winning over foreigners nasal forts, this will be my weapon.
I think then, the expansion of my empire will be without question!

lialuvhatetragedy
lialuvhatetragedy

Nothing new to me. Smells just like those Arabian attars with rose and oudh in it just smoothly blended tho. Very feminine. To me this fume does not give me that oriental oomph because the rose and oudh note evoke the effect of freshness on my skin. IMHO This fume is a good intro to the world of oudh perfumes. The oudh here is not heavily in presence, it blends well with the rose, amber and patchouli. Not as dark as the word "midnight" suggest. Likeable.

;-)
;-)

I have to post a new review as I earlier said that I mainly get oud from this one, reapplied in a bold moment I realized that the strong not was not only oud but a mixture of oud, saffron and rose. It was nicer this time but still a bit offensive as a trio. Now I know I don't really like rose sent and I don't want to be hit in the face by saffron either.

ClockworkCat
ClockworkCat

After my sample pack arrived, I tried this and at first thought 'This smells like brandy!'. Then I thought 'I love brandy, but I don't want people to think I'm drunk when wearing it'. After it settled, the 'brandyish' oud notes settled into something truly divine as the rose and saffron came to the surface. It no longer smells boozy, just wonderful.

Originally I was only going to buy one bottle (the one I liked best)for my birthday. This was Miss Charming (the most wonderful musky berry rose ever) but I am considering buying Midnight Oud as well. I had an irresistable urge to watch 'Dune' after putting this on.

Well, I wanted good rose fragrances and JHAG has certainly delivered. Good value for a niche quality line too. I would recommend this line to anyone who is getting into niche, is already into niche, or anybody who is having trouble finding the rose they want in the department stores. Beautiful, artistically done fragrances exist in normal stores, but to find a decent quality rose I think niche is the way forward. Give this a go and leave it on for at least an hour before you judge. Now I even love the boozy opening, its got me hooked.

Papi
Papi

Love it but it's certainly women scent!

RkrChk
RkrChk

Definitely an acquired taste...The most pronounced note on my skin is very dry oud...The rose note is also pretty strong, but I don't get geranium, musk or saffron...Beautiful, but elusive on me...

fpih
fpih

I don't get the oud in this one; it's barely there which is strange since oud usually overpowers every other note in a composition. Like someone else here said, this seems to be more about the rose than the oud. Still, it's a nice, slightly medicinal oriental hinting at something dark and mysterious but not actually getting there. Lasting power is also moderate for an oud fragrance. Nice and unisex too, but not FB worthy for me. I must admit that to me, this seems like a safe and easily wearable oriental that anyone from 15 years old to 95 could wear in a daily basis and it would raise no eyebrows. Not what I was looking for, but others who are looking for such a composition should check it out.

Update: Tried it again and luckily this time the oud was more pronounced. Still soft (except for the first 30 minutes) and not as long lasting as I expected from an oud fragrance though.

Jaki
Jaki

When I first tried out my sample of this I was really thrown by the medicinal/rose smell it was very strange to me. I let several months go before testing it again and this time I loved it and became addicted to sniffing myself and wanted the rubbery sharpness opening to last longer. I have now splurged on a full bottle and it has become one of my absolute favourites. I can now smell the geranium/amber/musk qualities that I missed when I first started to wear it. The fragrance is fairly linear but it does seem to smell a bit different every time I wear it. I have had quite a few positive comments when wearing this . I believe this perfume would be acceptable to wear in the heat as well as colder weather.

ritacatita
ritacatita

At first, I felt old leather. This smell grow to strong oud and saffron. All together, it was not a pleasant trip I must confess. I try to let the scent grow more hoping and wishing the turning point but I really had to wash my both pulse points. It was too much. Surprisingly, after wash it, I like the soft smell it was left there. I can feel the geranium and the patchouli. Have to try Calamity, Citizen Queen and Not a Perfume. I do love passionately Lady Vengeance and like inocent and sweet Miss Charming.

lapurrla
lapurrla

Isn't this more, much more about rose than oud? The opening does I agree contain something I'd rather not smell in a perfume. The exotic notes are pushed farther and farther into the background by the rose. This much rose is again too overpowering for my senses. Do try if you love rose. Lady Vengeance for me.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I usually find oud heavy to wear but this is just right. It's lighter than traditional oud and has great lasting power. It's perhaps a bit of a mature fragrance, and this is not my cup of tea at the end of the day, but it's good to know that oud can be so diverse.

emufrep
emufrep

sweetnspicey, you are so right: it does smell like
1. Latex surgical gloves
2. Burning breaks of a car

I'm not sure regarding 3. Aspartame, because I just don't know how it smells.
And it smells like that pretty long time )) Awful, i feel sick after this smell.
After some time it smells just like wood or maybe new wood furniture.

I also don't understand the "Calamity" smell. I can't stand it at the beginnig, that also lasts for very long time. It's very synthetic, the smell is like a dusty shed full of different tools for male DIY activities: saws, hammers, breds, tubes of glue and may be with other chemical substances and other stuff. Perhaps, I would use such perfume, if I would decide to renovate my flat all by myself:)

This is just not my cup of tea...

I don't know how a fragrance can manage to be so repulsive one minute and so gorgeous the next. For the first 30 minutes, I was convinced that the fragrance notes listed above were not correct at all. Instead, I clearly smelled these:

1. Latex surgical gloves
2. Burning breaks of a car
3. Aspartame

When I first smelled this, I gagged. I knew I'd felt that gag reflex before. Then I remembered it's the same nausea I have any time I eat something with aspartame in it. Not fun.

Later on, the perfume turned into this indescribably luxurious rose scent. As long as I did not put my nose directly onto my skin, I could no longer smell those sickening notes. I would consider buying this perfume, but the first 30 minutes of severe nausea as well as the fear of making others around me nauseated would prevent me from leaving the house for 30 minutes after applying, so I will not be buying this one.

truffles
truffles

This screams ROSE at me as soon as I put it on. Rose and rubber. Rose seems to be the common thread between the JHAG perfumes. The rubber quickly fades and leaves the rose, a dusty, very nicely done rose.
This is very very pleasant and wearable but not quite what I was expecting. For an oud I'd go for the new Tom Ford one.

[ilaria_ions]
[ilaria_ions]

i'll be honest. the love of my perfume life is citizen queen. and as much as i experience mutual love with the other 'juliettes' cos they really work well on me, midnight oud is not the case. it opens unusually chemical and all i get is a smell of a medicinal alcohol which tends to mellow down to the point it deceives you that it's gone but...it isn't. i could detect it even in the drydown. i would recommended it to the one who doesn't like the other 'juliettes' cos in my humble opinion, midnight out is quite different.

Moyra
Moyra

After months of reveling in traditional Arabian oil-based perfumery, with a sidestep now and then into a few western interpretations of oud, I felt ready for Midnight Oud.
I mean, after the atomic potency of those exotic dark rose, oud, amber and saffron attars, what could possibly be so intense about Midnight Oud?

Right.
I should have read the copy better:

"inspired by oriental notes, including accords of Moroccan rose, oud, amber,

SEVERAL SORTS OF MUSK,

saffron, geranium and patchouli oil."

Not, alas, musk done politely, but musk that includes a potent muscone ("black musk")note redolent of deer glands.
If I focus very hard. the rose will somewhat disguise the muscone note. There's a teeny trace of all the other ingredients, including the faintest of oud smidgens, but mostly, its roses and musk.

Tres skanky, tres impolite: Juliette has a male deer scent-depositing gland. And a bunch of dark red roses.

And as seems to be the case with all the skanky perfumes, men loooove it.

Its not as strong as I thought from the reviews, actually, it doesn't project that far, perhaps with a meter of sillage. And it does last, getting softer and less musky after 6 hours of wear, and lasting on and on after that.
The presentation, in a lovely heavy gold bottle (metal!), and a round, beribonned velvet box rates a 10 out of 10 for western perfumery, which is beset by plastic tops and thin cardboard regardless of price or prestige.
The juice - well, although musk is not my thing and the titular oud is barely detectable, its rather well composed, lasts very well and does deserve an 8 out of 10.

Cereza
Cereza

Ouch. That's probably the best thing I can come up with. I loved it after the first sniff and was tempted to get MORE AND MORE, but...well...I must say it. I've tested hundreds of perfumes on my wrists and this has never happened before. After applying Midnight Oud, just in less than 2 minutes I started to get extremely painful feeling on my wrist and it was all covered in red rash, I don't know what ingredient did this to me, but it has never happened before, the sample came from manufactores so it can't be bad, other Juliette has a gun fragrances have worked well with me and I haven't developed any allergies before, so I'm kinda sad.

The smell is lovely though, but now my wrist is burning as I wasn't able to was everything off :(

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

What a wonderful fragrance !
Alluring, grown-up, seductive to the core - dark rose and oud and hints of leather mingling in.
Very similar to Czech&Speake´s Dark Rose and Montale´s Queen Aoud Rose but softer and a bit more balanced.
Can be worn unisex - also great on a man with confidence and the intention to make a statement with his perfume.
It is limited in my country to only 150 bottles so I did not hesitate to order one for me.
The beginning : a bit masculine, this is the oud, then the rose kicks in and becoming a slightly powdery sexy poison which will never let you go again once you smelled it.
The drydown develops soft on me - the ingredients becoming just a bit sweeter and milder.
How much to apply ? Little ! One spray on the wrist, dabbed on behind the ears is absolutely enough to make you beautifully scented without causing faint attacks on your fellow people :-) Please keep in mind that oud scents in eau de parfum concentration are really potent and should be applied with a very light hand.
If you love dark roses and also have a weakness for oud you should not miss out on this one !

shoreshells
shoreshells

I bought this blind/cold; and I regret it very much. It's way too much rose for me, overwhelming with rose, it's all I smell; no other notes. Big mistake on my part for not testing it first!

Helsinki
Helsinki

What's left to say after Delphine's review? :) I agree on everything she said.

TOP: saffron and oud strong at the top.
MIDDLE: where art thou? Where are the amber & patch that are listed on the ingredients? As if this fragrance decided to riot a bit and skip the heart notes completely.
BASE: the basenote, rose, blossoms with oud in harmony. I bet that rose IS one of the basenotes of this fragrance, although it usually occurs in the top/mid notes.

What _is_ left to say: I bet Midnight Oud is the most mature of Juliette Has A Gun perfumery.

delphine67
delphine67

Opens with a very bitter oud and saffron. A bit sharp in the beginning.Then I start to smell the rose and geranium if gives the scent a fresh note, the bitterness fades away. On my skin it turns into a warm woody rose with a hint of geranium. I would keep this one for colder weather. Great on a cold and snowy day to make you feel all warm and cozy.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Interesting enough, Midnight Oud, supposedly for women turns out to be an astonishing perfume on masculine skin. Woody, dark gothic rose and oud results in an ovary flipping combination of sweetness and toughness. The kind of pugnacious hombre you would find in a white hat in a cowboy movie.

I cannot stress enough the ghostly aura of unambiguous good guy hero this can take on when fortuitously combined with the right male skin chemistry. If you are into that kind of thing...

On my skin I found the opening far too masculine, the saffron being very assertive and butch. However, the rose, my goodness, like darkness itself, infused with the grace of heaven. Soft, romantic, safe but exciting. This seems to fade out a bit too quickly for my liking and to be honest, Montale Black Aoud probably suits me more but that *rose*. Speechless admiration.

I for one do not care about how authentic or westernised the oud here is, I just know that Juliette is onto a good thing for all humans. Especially men.

My initial reaction upon applying MIDNIGHT OUD was, "Uh-oh, Juliette really does have a gun!" But then something magical transpired. Juliette placed the gun back in her dark purple leather clutch purse and no one knew for the rest of the night that she was a spy, so well camouflaged was she in velvety wafts of a beautiful dark rose perfume.

MIDNIGHT OUD is a drop-dead gorgeous oriental-floral blend, deftly displaying the rose in all its beauty through embellishing it with amber, saffron, and a just a touch of patchouli. And of course the oud, which in this composition is not tarry or rubbery or off-putting at all, although at the outset, before it smoothed out, I thought it might actually be leather!

The longevity of MIDNIGHT OUD is good on my skin, and the sillage fairly big. This is one of the nicest rose perfumes I've ever smelled, and I'd definitely like to smell it again...

melia
melia

This is the third aoud fragrance I try, and this is the first one I really like!!! The others where so extremely thick... This one is a light and bright aoud, with a tad of fresh rose in the beginning. I love it in the middle, with that little bit of sweetness which Guusje didn't like... On my skin that sweetness fades away in the drydown, where it's just... The way it is. Midnight aoud. I think it could be great for summer nights too. In my opinion, it's even sexy! Recommend it strongly for beginning aoud-ers, like me :)

EDIT: Oh no, today it disappointed me :( In the beginning it was lovely like before, but now I paid more attention to the drydown and I noticed the aoud is giving me a slight headache. With that, after those few hours Midnight Aoud is starting to smell like a 'sneeze' on my arm: I don't know if everybody experiences a sneeze the same way, but I always smell a whaft of a strange smell after I sneeze. I made myself believe this are the bacteries, hahaha. Anyway: it does smell like that on me now, and that is kind of gross, isn't it?

sofiii
sofiii

After the initial sharpness, Midnight Oud smells like some soothing tart/burnt woods.
Nothing really distinct floral sweet here, it is like a space covered with wood and old books and paper. It triggers something really emotional, in a good, quite, a little bit sensual way which says about solitude.

Later on when Juliette Has A Gun style patchouli + rose combo comes, it feels like a subtle rose veil. Maybe it's the freshness of rose with the woodys background, it reminds me of wind, soothing wind of summer midnight.

The dry down is more subtle and much less woodsy. It reminds me a lot of the dirty rose aspect of Cabaret. However, it has a touch of reserved elegance rather than purely sexy seduction.

Rita @leftcoastnose
Rita @leftcoastnose

What Thelma would buy for her sweet Louise:

Scent notes say Moroccan rose, geranium, saffron, oud note, patchouli, sandalwood, amber, and animalic musks.

I say it smells like the leather car seats of a teal ’66 Thunderbird convertible, writing your own rules, and the thrill of the open road. Pistol-packing lipstick-lesbian femme power.

dianafrances
dianafrances

just arrived it in the mail today and have had it on for almost 2 hrs. i did have to spray a lot. at first i wasnt too excited about the way it smelled. the oud is prominent and makes it smell a little masculine. however, after about 25 min, rose takes the spotlight. saffron, amber, and musk creep up after. now it is blended well and smells so regal, warm, comforting, sexy, and unique.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I've been impatiently waiting for this one to hit Lucky Scent, and finally got my sample today. So here are my thoughts:

Some may have noticed that M Oud ($135/100 ML) is almost an exact replica of Czech and Speake's Dark Rose ($185 for 100 ML)DR has Sandalwood, whereas M Oud has Geranium. There is the difference. The edge, imo, goes to M Oud, which is a smoother fragrance. Now I love sandalwood, more than I like Geranium, but DR (which is on my right hand) when compared to MO (on my left hand) is like high heels to a pair of walking shoes.

Overall, a standing ovation for Midnight Oud. Very wearable. Does not have the longevity of the perfumes currently in my collection, but I have not found an Oud (outside of Montale) that is long lasting. Oud, imo, is an acquired 'taste', and for anyone interested in this scent this is a good fragrance to nibble.

SandraS

Its indeed a lovely fragrance, distinctive oriental without being overthetop strong.

Its a well blended scent where no individual note takes the stages...

I am an aoud fan and this is one of the best. Perfect syllage and lasting power.

SandraS

Its a well blended scent where no individual note takes the stages...

Trvevil
Trvevil

Speachless ^^. Midnight Oud is just beautiful, enchanting and.. you know, serious. It smells like I expected- distinctive thanks to precious ingredient Agarwood. There's still feeling to it that it's Juliette Has a Gun brand later when top notes settled a bit (I tried Citizen Queen). And later it becomes very sexy, I also love geranium note that perfectly fits here. Something also sweetens a little bit the woods and makes scent a lot deeper.
But let's talk about the very top. Top lasts a long time and provokes not only memories but it made me think a lot about my grandparents with 2 more 'grand' at the beginning.
My grandparents from dad's side come from village. They had a wooden house and heat it with firewood. They also had a garden and few cows I think, also bees ^^
When my dad grew up he loved to spend time in village house of his grandmother. When I grew up I loved to visit remnants of this house too (it was deserted ten years before USSR fell). You could find some stuff there (such as color pencils, fork, a white cloak to be able to deal with bees, also bee houses ). Imagine the smell inside the house- humidity touched wood that absorbed various smells from a stove and finally dried in many hot sunny days in a row. That's what I love about this perfume. It evokes these memories. I think now that house isn't standing there and it's a pity, because this place has it's charm and that's the place you'd return to think about life again and again.
Whew.. to my wish list.
Packaging is very gorgeous, especially velvet box and it's color.

Red Rose
Red Rose

makes me think of hot summer nights. It smells very expensive just like precious Arabian ouda. I think it's a good fragrance for both men & women alike.

Nell
Nell

Just love it. You will fall in love with it, makes me think of hot summer nights in Dubai.

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun 3.84 out of 5 based on 434 ratings and 106 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Juliette Has A Gun Midnight Oud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Juliette Has A Gun Midnight Oud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.