Designers » I-K » Chypre « Groups

KL Karl Lagerfeld for women
dislike

cinnamon
KL Karl Lagerfeld for women Pictures KL Karl Lagerfeld for women Pictures

KL belongs to chypre perfumes group and has been at the market since 1983. This is a feminine perfume full of floral and spicy notes. Refreshing, juicy orange and bergamot are set in the top notes and fondle like sea breeze. Cloves, sourish and vanilla-like cinnamon, pepper from Jamaica, intoxicating rose, intensive, sweet and pure jasmine, ylang-ylang and orchid are in the heart. The base is created of amber, warm, soft vanilla, patchouli and benzoin. It is interesting that the bottle was designed by Karl Lagerfeld himself.

Orange Spices Bergamot

Charlie Oriental
Goddess Hommage a Greta Garbo

KL Fragrance Reviews

dalmajen

This is another review of one of my favorite fragrances of all time. I see they have introduced some new KL scents, for her and him...this is the real KL...„The Secret behind the fan....”
Yesterday I had such a craving to wear this wonderful fragrance again. I have a very little bit, left in the bottle, so decided I would wear it, and really enjoy it, as I did years ago. Oh how I loved wearing this gem! It's extremely well put together. It opens with a smooth, bright orange, which combined with the bergamot and spices just grabs your attention from the very start. The spices play a huge part in this fragrance, and they are very vibrant. The cinnamon is deep, almost like it has just been purchased at the African spice market, and the same goes for the cloves. They aren't weak, by any means, but they don't override the other fabulous notes. The rose and jasmine shine through, and the pepper and ylang-ylang play their parts just right. But the biggest secret is the dry down. It just seems to drift into the dry down, ever so discreetly. The warm amber..patchouli and vanilla, with the touch of civet. This fragrance lasts and lasts. It needs to applied with a bit of caution, as even the EDT is strong. I have heard people describe this as very similar to Opium. In my opinion, it isn't. I wore Opium for years, so I can compare them. Both are spicy, yes..but they have a completely different vibe. And the dry downs differ. I purchased my last bottle of this fragrance in the late nineties, duty free). I could never find it again, after that. I had the shower gel at one stage, and it was astounding! I have never had such a potent shower gel. I loved wearing this perfume..it was such a striking, and vibrant scent. Maybe that's perhaps I'm a Tauer fan) His no.12 for example..Eau D'Epices). The wonders of the fragrances from these times..the longevity. Oh, how I long for that wonderful staying power, on today's perfumes! This was not a super expensive purchase in the eighties, but the prices have soared! Never mind, I loved it when I wore it, and the secret behind the fan is still safe with me!

plohni
plohni

My absolutely favorite scent of ALL TIME... but with one caveat: I first tried the L'eau de Toilette and LOVED it...then bought the perfume, and it was similar but I found it too strong . The Eau De Toilette lasted all day and into the night and in fact did linger on my clothes which I liked.... I found I didn't need to buy it stronger. Oh how I wish they brought it back. I still have some in my fridge "cooling" for special occasions and hope that it will last me.... it is SO sexy... but still ok for day. what more could you ask for?

LadyKath
LadyKath

Delicious and sexy! Reminds me of the first Salvador Dalì ...
A scent that gets even better when it's cold outside.
One of my favourites! Like spicy orange ...

Jerine123
Jerine123

When I was younger, I had a gorgeous man ask me what I wanted for my birthday. I told him that I wanted a bottle of perfume BUT I wanted him to go to the perfume counter and pick out a fragrance that he thought was not only amazing, something that would make him spin around to see who was wearing it if you walked by. Something that would have a warm and sexy scent that would drive him wild and after some pretty intensive shopping, he came back with this one.......enough said.....too bad you cant find it any longer. Some older vintages are on ebay for $$$$$!!

stormyla
stormyla

I am a lover of spicy Orientals, but this one was too spicy for me. I used a large bottle of it back in the early 80's and couldn't wait until it was finished. There was a sharpness to it that was unpleasant. The spices drowned out all other aspects of the fragrance.

Generally I like spices and orange in a fragrance, but this smelled very sour, not sweet or soft like some of the other famous orientals of the era. To me this always felt very masculine.

To my memory this had more in common with the vintage Chanel Coco than with Youth Dew or Cinnabar. It was much sharper than the Coco, but still quite similar.

It had extremely good longevity and very heavy sillage. The fan shaped bottle was gorgeous.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

The description says that this scent came out in 1983, but I remember my Mom giving me a beautiful fan-shaped bottle of the pure parfum in 1982, of which I still have a few drops. It's become so scarce that I only dab it on occasionally. I comes off as an oriental in the manner of Opium when it's first applied, but as it dries down and is warmed by the skin, I definitely pick up a note of oakmoss even if its not as pronounced as it is in other classic chypres, so I can see why it was placed in the chypre category. I just wonder why oakmoss wasn't included in the list of notes. As my bottle has aged, the civet note seems to have gotten stonger and I like that!

idressyou
idressyou

Spicy, powdery, vanillic, ambery, incensey, lush and warm... gorgeous. Most certainly cooler weather friendly, and it's a tad too heavy for hot summer days, unless applied with the lightest touch... but on a balmy summer night, it is downright sexy. The lasting power is all day and the next on my eat-em-up skin, and the sillage is far and wide. Harder and harder to find, so naturally it's getting pricier and pricier to acquire in alignment.

It is in the Opium vicinity, which I love, but because The Big O cranks up the funky-sour-musk-volume full f'in blast with my chemistry, I sadly cannot adorn. KL more than satisfies my craving to visit that scent neighborhood without having to worry about the perfume police issuing me a ticket.

icecube
icecube

Wonderful openging of spices, orange and bergamott.

kafleenthedonkey
kafleenthedonkey

This is my all time favorite. Very spicy and delicious.

samjl09
samjl09

Loved this scent .... Have never since found a perfume to match .... Have never since got so many compliments as when I wore KL ... miss this perfume ... wish it were back

ranchorita
ranchorita

Opium and Cinnabar never worked on me, but KL was a perfect fit and was my signature scent for several years in the mid 80s. LOVED it and I think it smelled amazing on me. :) My head was turned by other trends in fragrance later in the 80s, but on reflection, I should have stuck with KL instead of some of the others I tried.

nananessa
nananessa

I had a bottle of this in the 80s & it reminded me of Opium a lot! A gorgeous, strong stunner, bold & an epitome of 80s fragrances.

I am baffled at how it is classed here as a chypre. Where is Oakmoss? It seems to me it is more an oriental spicy.

lizaf1
lizaf1

What a wonderful, sexy scent!!!!!! It is dark and sultry! Love it!

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

I am renaming this one Spice Queen. It didn't blow me away but I love Orientals so this one is a keeper for me. I believe it is the Benzoin that keeps trying to break through the spice to soften it a bit but the spice is still winning. I could wear this on a cold winter's day when the skies are cloudy and overcast. This will be used as a pick me up fragrance for sure as it has a kick that won't let go. My Kenzo Elephant has finally met its match in the spice department!

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

Loved this fragrance- Any ideas on similar updated fragrance?

Militza
Militza

KL was inbetween the brazen Opium and the sultry Cinnabar. It was a perfect oriental fragrance for day or night wear. It was a beautiful fragrance that had a touch of enigma in it. When men were close to me, it was obvious they wondered what I was wearing and what I was thinking. It would be nice if they would bring it back, in the original formula and fan bottle.

dreeanne01
dreeanne01

Awesome purfume that is a classic, just wish that it was still made:(! I have several bottles in my stash and will wear it only the most special of occassions.

Miffymuffin
Miffymuffin

I used to wear this in the 80's and loved it. I loved the spicy orange top notes and the sexy warm cinnamon spice that stayed on my skin all night. I was heartbroken when it was discontinued.
10ml minatures have been popping up for sale on ebay (not sure if they're genuine) and I have bought a couple. I am back in heaven. I LOVE THIS PERFUME.

mimila
mimila

I bought a small (1/3rd ounce) bottle of this at a swap meet for 4 dollars because I had read that KL was like Opium. I find, however that KL has a very offputting medicinal quality to it that I cannot abide. To compare KL to Opium is not accurate. Opium is finely crafted. A true sum of its beautifully blended parts. I can thinks of many better ways to use the obscene amounts of money that they want on ebay for this stinker. I'm giving the one I have to the Goodwill and then tonight I'm taking a hot shower to scrub all traces of KL off!

kaykaye
kaykaye

KL was the first "real" perfume I ever bought. It immediately became my signature scent and I've worn it ever since. It's the one perfume I don't share with daughters or friends. I first bought it in 1989 and last bought a bottle in 2001 at Mall of America in Minneapolis. I've found other scents that I like, but KL will always have my heart. The day my last bottle runs out will be a sad, sad day. Right now I'm wearing Euphoria or Flowerbomb most days to stretch out the KL, and CK In2U for the summer. I have always been told that scents change over time, but I haven't noticed my KL is any less delicious for all its age. I hope it lasts forever!

renperd
renperd

Can you believe the current asking price for this! Five years ago 50ml set me back US$17 or so. And that was exactly what it was worth since it was well nigh unwearable even for a reckless perfume adventurist like myself. KL is a rough Opium, a penniless Cinnabar. Faux fur, big hair, bigger spectacles, more layers of make-up than a Photoshop layering blitz. Excellent for desert wear or desert war...

kurabiye
kurabiye

Wonderfull complex spicy as all of the dark colored perfumes

MrMookie
MrMookie

My mother wore this one in the early eighties, i remember this one was very sweet and deep but its a retro scent pur sang.

jufconnie
jufconnie

This was my very favorite fragrance in the 80's! I was a big fan. When I found out it was discontinued I was so disapointed I lost interest in fragrances for a while. It used to be my signature scent and now I was without one. I allready knew what would be a great replacement; Coco by Chanel. Coco and KL were in a way similar. They were released in the same era en both start of citrussy and spicy, kind of sweet and oriental. But it took me years to let another fragrance take KL's place. (stuck in the 80's right?) At last indeed it was Coco by Chanel that became my signature scent. Another similar scent is "8me jour" (Huitieme jour) by Yves Rocher. (also discontinued) In this internet era it is not that hard to find a vintage bottle of KL. (not cheap though) I purchased an EDT and a pure perfume on Ebay. They still smell great and I am so happy I have acces to that fragrance again. But honestly, I have to admit that Coco is a bit more balanced than KL. The 80's are over and I am much older now and Coco is now my signature scent. (Although I own so many fragrances now that I don't really have a signature scent anymore) KL was the perfume that started my fragrance obsession and it will allways be part of my collection. Oh and I have to add that the design of the bottle and advertisement were so great at the time. The combination of grey with a touch of pink, the oriental fan design. In those days that was so creative en trendy! Nowadays when I wear KL I allways get compliments. For me it is also a comforting scent that I wear when I am at home. I guess that is only because of all memories that are connected to this fragrance.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

KL was a gift to me from my boyfriend back in the 1980's. This fragrance holds many pleasant memories for me.

It is very similar to Opium. And like so many perfumes of this genre, it smells better and better the longer it is on the skin. A good perfume for curling up with someone special on a cold winter evening. Very good.

krmarich
krmarich

Lagerfeld launched his own "Opium" that had lots of spices and deep, rich florals! In its day it was a commercial hit, however never matching the commotion of Opium. These big spicy orientals dominated the 1980s! Opium, Cinnabar and KL heated up the night life! Cocktail bars weaved cigarette smoke with the exotic notes. Short hair and large earrings went well with KL.

Yes, middle America was hip to Lagerfeld and KL. In the autumn, oriental worked so well. KL had civet to add to the sexiness. It strange how they faded into obscurity.

KL is now a rare internet commodity. Is it worth it? Yes!

Tracyellen1619

I typed "great sillage" but was auto corrected! Oops.

Tracyellen1619

I rediscovered my bottle when we moved last year. It's almost full! I worked in the cosmetics department of a store in the mid to late eighties and it was one of the perfumes I couldn't bear to part with, even though I didn't wear it often. Warm, wonderful spice but I think it doesn't overpower as much as some of the eighties scents could. Great Willard, though.

passionata20
passionata20

After purchasing this very expensive fragrance i really expected something fabulously oriental. But i was hugly dissapointed! This is one of the biggest dissapointments with perfume i have ever bought blindly (i buy mostly blindly based on reviews here on Fragrantica since a lot of scents are not available in my country).
It starts as very sharp and very incredibly spicy. Spices, spices and spices once again. But not in a pleasant way. Very sharp and reminds me of an classic eau de cologne that has been produced in Soviet Union, anmed "Tripple/Тройной" but with A LOT of pepper and cinnamon added. I would say even that it smells in some way like some kind of vinegar. It stays like this for a long time and only much more later the flower notes come through. I had to wait really long time to smell those flowers. A couple of hours. The drydown is nice, but still very sharp. If you ever smelled Paloma Picasso´s "Tentantions" then you might have the idea of how it could smell like, only many times more spicier and sharper!
I still will give it one more try in pure parfum concentration since i think that EDT version contains too much alcohol and because of that it might be so sharp.
I really recommend you to try this if you can before you buy it. But even if you don´t like it it won´t be a problem to sell it on ebay since it is on a high demand.
My review was for EDT version of this fragrance.
NB! Beware of staining your clothes, the juice has some colour that leaves stains on your clothes.

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every review should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

chaos2
chaos2

This was the first perfume I was obsessed with. I cannot remember how it got it. I kept the bottle long after it was gone because it smelled so good. I hardly remember it now. Just that it got better as the day went on and I loved it.

you can get it on ebay but it is rare but does appear

kathy74
kathy74

I loved KL, it was amazing the amount of people that asked what I was wearing.Can you still purchase it and if so where from

My ex's twin sister got a 4 pc giftset that included Chloe, this, Poeme and Tresor. Of the three, this is the only one she did not like and she gave it to me, saying it would smell better on a man than on her. I was grateful, since I only had Drakkar, AdG and Nautica at the time.

As my collection grew and Mother got a whiff of this, it ended up with her, and she adores it and guards it very closely. She dislikes florientals and anything too powdery but adores this, go figure...

This begins citursy (mostly orange and mandarin) with a lovely blend of spices. As it develops it becomes a very spicy sweet floral: rose, orchid and ylang ylang being the strongest (jasmine takes a supporting role) balanced magnificently by cloves, pepper and warm cinnamon. Elegant and very oriental this is very much an eighties fragrance yet never gets too loud or obnoxious. The base is heavy, but balanced-civet, myrrh and benzoin give it a very musky, exotic almost incensy feel. Patchouli is moderate with amber and vanilla smoothing it all together in a warm, sweet cloud and styrax gives it an aged rich and woody feel that clings to the skin and lasts forever.

Chypres by definition have bergamot, flowers and patchouli or musk or moss in the base, despite the heavy spices, this does meet the criteria for a true chypre but; it is hard to call it that when the spices are so very prevalent. I usually avoid eighties womens scents as they are too loud or massive but this is a classic and I love it...and I am testing it while Mom is away, shhhh!

Sillage: great
Longevity: excellent
Overall: 4.5/5

The juice in this one is a lovely magenta color and one should be careful if one wears it with light colored clothing. The pigment can dry on the sprayer and be transferred with the next spray and leave blood colored spots when it redries.

I would suggest either letting it dry on the skin before dressing or wiping off the sprayer with a tissue before replacing the lid. I am very curious now, to smell the men's version...

guest_mayra
guest_mayra

quisiera saber dónde puedo adquirir es ta joya de los aromas.... tengo uno en miniatura y lo cuido muchísimo....

guest_Booboo
guest_Booboo

I used to love this perfume, although now it smells too "80's" - overpowering and loud. I tried Annick Goutal's "Nuits de Hadrian" and found that to have the same spice in a lighter effect. I was ecstatic to sample what seems to be an update of my all-time favorite!

dalmajen

I really loved this scent years ago when i wore it alll the time. Haven't been able to buy it for years, as where i live they never have it in stock anymore. But always had nice compliments on this one!

guest_Emma
guest_Emma

This is the only scent that gets better as the day goes by it gets warmer and powdery and you smell great at night. I love this scent it is classic and quality

tarasapphire
tarasapphire

I agree - this is not a chypre by any definition. It is a Fresh Soft Oriental though I note Michael Edwards further subclassifies it as a citrus fruity in the soft oriental category. I myself don't register anything citrusy or fruity about it. It is lighter and softer than Opium, Salvador Dali or Youth Dew yet still conjures images of the spicy orient. It is long lasting and great for the Office as it makes a statement and can be worn easily during the day whereas Opium and Youth Dew would be too overpowering. One of my favourites and almost impossible to find in Australia these days.

deeper_shallow
deeper_shallow

Karl Lagerfeld KL was my first great love! I got a bottle of it from my aunt in the late 80's, and it was love at first sniff. The clove and the cinnamon makes it rich and warm, but it still has some icy-cold, almost ruthless undertones - definitely a bold 80's power scent! It's intriguing, sexy and multi-layered, but easily overdosed - more than a few droplets, and it becomes as subtle as a mallet.
Apparently it's been discontinued in most countries, but I managed to stumble across it in a mall in Milton Keynes (of all places!) and was delighted to add it to my wardrobe once again.

Why can't I find an address for Karl Lagerfeld? I wish that KL was easier to find. It is the only fragrance that I have worn since 1984. I dread the day that I cannot find it.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

I agree that this is a spicy oriental fragrance. It does remind me of Opium, Cinnibar and others that are certainly not 'shy' perfumes. One of my personal favorites especially in cold weather. I don't know why more people don't wear this fragrance-maybe it is just too strong for a lot of people. But it really is a beautiful perfume. I don't get a lot of orange in the top notes-on my skin it is all cloves, vanilla and spice. Love it.

Nuppu
Nuppu

This isn't any chypre, this is fullbodied spicy oriental fragrance. Very close to Opium, more rounded and sweet from the start, hihgly spicy but still creamy, warm and sexy. Excellent for cold, rainy days and hot, steamy nights ;)...

KL by Karl Lagerfeld 4.34 out of 5 based on 158 ratings and 42 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Karl Lagerfeld KL fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Karl Lagerfeld KL, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify KL by Karl Lagerfeld. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of KL by Karl Lagerfeld represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.