Designers » I-K » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Kenneth Cole Vintage Black Kenneth Cole for men

Kenneth Cole Vintage Black Kenneth Cole for men
dislike

Vintage Black is a fragrance for a self-confident man - a metropolit. It is a combination of fresh notes of green lime, dewy greenery, pink grapefruit, white pepper, lavender, dry oak wood, sandalwood and tequila accords. The fragrance is available in a dark flacon as 100ml edt. Kenneth Cole Vintage Black was launched in 2009.

Grapefruit Green Notes Lime

Lavender Pepper Tequila

Oak Sandalwood

Legend Special Edition 2012
Maximum

Kenneth Cole Vintage Black Fragrance Reviews

TonyAKAMrClean
TonyAKAMrClean

Smells exactly like Aeropostale Maximum, but with more citrus. Pretty boring, kinda reminds me of Curve, or those other "fluffy but plain" scents (best way I can describe them). Lasts about 5 hours, but it does smell good. Not great, but good. Smells better when you're in a suit and tie, because of the plain factor. An ex girlfriend bought me this and the original Kenneth Cole Black, and I think I'll likely give this one away. I'll keep the original Black, though. :)

Max Logan
Max Logan

Citrus and boring.
No sweetness at all, so good for summer. I'm still waiting for tequila note to kick in.

sheynose
sheynose

On me this started out very nice with a smooth citrus and spice combination. The opening quickly turns to a clawing laundry detergent scent that gave me a headache.
Its one of many that are designed with a sweet opening to get attention at the perfume counter. Make the sale and get them out the door.

justtwan
justtwan

I do agree that this is a very generic fragrance but has its place just like cool water though they don't resemble. This takes me back to the late 90s and early 2Ks (nauticas, crave and bora bora) type colognes that for a person with a less mature nose than I have now could truly appreciate

DSun
DSun

The clerk at Macy's offered a Kenneth Cole coffret free of charge. I already own more than 200 bottles of cologne, so I said what the heck. Four more couldn't hurt.

I sprayed all four of Kenneth Cole's products on tester strips when I got home. I've decided that none of these will be going on my skin. ("These" being Reaction, Reaction Thermal, Black and Vintage Black)

Boring. They're all competent, safe and well-made, but just plain old boring....like Kenny G and elevator music.

Ryanmmas26
Ryanmmas26

This was an ok fragrance that to me was a different take on Tommy Bahamas Set Sail St. Barts.

When 1st applied this didnt smell exactly like TB-SSSB but with the lime and tequila I could tell Kenneth Cole was trying to make a fragrance that was very similar.

The difference between this and Tommy Bahama is that Vintage Black takes that margarita vibe and tried to make a spicier,more mature,sexier version of that scent. I do like what they tried to do and it is a decent scent but I still strongly prefer Set Sail St. Barts.

Main reason for that is the note of lavender in this fragrance. Dont get me wrong I love the note of lavender in most fragrances but on my skin at least the note of lavender clashing with the lime and tequila made this go from a good fragrance to an only ok fragrance.

If this does work better on your skin I would highly recommend this for summer ! For most beachy scents they last 2-4 hours but this lasted me 4-6 hours which is great for a scent like this and had a decent projection for 3 of those hours.

(Blah, If I only I could have the smell of Set Barts and the performance of Vintage Black,lol)

Overall rating: 6.75 out of 10 ! This type of scent has been done before and done a lot better so in that respect it loses points. Its redeeming qualities are that it has above average performance for a summer/beach scent.

Deffinitly worth checking out though in my opinion

Ky1227
Ky1227

Incredibly generic. Smells good, not great, but good. That is all.

Keeping in mind that I am a woman who likes to try men's colognes, this was not designed for my chemistry. At first try, I get the fresh spritzy scent most people here report. Sadly, it dries down to a powdery spiced talc scent that just smells like old guy. It's more like English Leather than Tequila and Lime.

ControlsTheSpice
ControlsTheSpice

This was an impulse buy, and I have to say I regret it. There's a blast of lime at the front with an alcohol tinge--describing it as margarita is right on the money. After a few minutes it settles into smelling like a generic men's shower gel or "sport" deodorant. "Fresh" aromas with light citrus and spice. Then it just fades away. Nothing special at all, for me.

stromboli77
stromboli77

I fell in love with this frag at first sniff. The opening is great....a blast of crisp margarita freshness that dries into a deep dark mysterious woody base. I hear many people blasting this frag for lacking in longevity. I tend to go a little more on the trigger and it will last a solid 8 hours at least. It does tend to stick a little closer to the skin overtime but will project strong for at least the first two hours. The fresh opening tends to carry on through the duration although becoming much more musky but with hints of strong woods and a touch of lavender. I am fascinated by the way the fragrance evolves. When one applies it appears to almost have an aquatic vibe but yet eventually becoming dark, woody and very masculine. The overall vibe is signature scent worthy although I love wearing it on those cooler summer nights. It can be worn during the day but IMO the nighttime is the right time. Extremely versatile. Can be used for work for play or for a formal event. Wear it at the club,,,,why not. Smooth and sexy this scent is a big compliment getter through and through. Not overly flashy or loud yet masculine, dark and heavy enough to leave a strong impression. Along with polo blue my swiss army knife. A solid two thumbs up for me.

I don't get much lavender or pepper, but it's a rather blended scent. However, there clearly is wood, tequila, and citrus, and these last quite a while. Sure, it's not going to smell especially "natural" to many hobbyists, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a scent like this to smell less "synthetic" than some perceive. I like how the combination of dominant notes is handled here, despite not being a fan of citrus or this kind of wood presentation, but the tequila is okay and overall I can't really say anything bad about it. After reading some other reviews I feared this would seem too harsh but I was surprised that this was not the case, perhaps because I only used one spray to the chest. It may work better on a warm or hot day, so I'll have to try it again under such circumstances and report back.

lt114
lt114

This doesn't smell bad, if you can smell it at all. This stuff is gone in an hour or two regardless of how many sprays you use. Not only that but it absolutely sticks to the skin right from the start. Nothing to see here.

Deri Guzman
Deri Guzman

This fragrance is weird to my nose. Sometimes I get the smell of a watered down Margarita (which is nice) and other times I get a vicks vaporub (not good) smell to it. One thing is for sure about this one that the first 10-15 minutes is a blast of lime and tequila through and through. I think the opening has to much freaking lime and the combination with the tequila accord makes it sour. Overall it's an okay fragrance I'll give it a 4.5 out of 10. This is a going to a supermarket and going to eat out type of fragrance.

EmperorToro
EmperorToro

This was a blind buy for me albeit after reading the comments of a number of Fragrantica visitors. Based on what i had read I was expecting citrus and woody. With my chemistry I get a quick citrus squeeze followed by lavender and black pepper. After 5 -6 hours some wood (oak?) makes an appearance.

Overall, it's pretty linear but it is really quite nice. Is it safe? Perhaps but, safe isn't always a bad thing. I'm really happy it has made its way into my collection. I just wish I hadn't waited so long to add it.

jesvox
jesvox

Super tarty and fruity, as stated below nothing vintage inspired or dark about this, one thing... girls love it tho!

Bobster
Bobster

There is absolutely nothing vintage or black about this????
Does it smell it Good? It really depends on the person. Do I like it? Not really. It's very generic which i have come to expect from mainstream fragrance houses these days. Don't expect good silage or longevity It's decent but very poor on my skin which is moderately dry. Does it surpass its older brother? I'll let you be the judge of that.

Nick M
Nick M

The name along with the simple bottle were poor choices; if they had repackaged this it would not get some of the negativity it does. Sure it's a safe citrus scent, but it has some woodsy notes in there to keep it interesting.

I usually take into account price and Vitage Black is very affordable, so I don't think it's fair to pick it apart like it's some rare masterpiece (as the unfortunate name implies).

Perigee
Perigee

Unremarkable and mostly harmless. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it... but there's nothing intrinsically anything about it, really.

It's what little nowhere men wear when they're on vacation, to me.

It starts out with a blast of chemical citrus, and settles out to weak lemon and hay. In five hours, I had to huff the collar of my tee shirt to find even a whiff of it remaining.

It's my personal philosophy that one wears a scent to make some sort of statement; happy or wistful, serious or playful. This generic fragrance says nothing other than "I have a cologne on." Perhaps it's perfect for wearing while stamp collecting, or trainspotting, or doing light dusting.

Unless you really like weak citrus, you can pick up a 800ml bottle of Febreze for 5 bucks, and buy yourself a pizza with the savings.

ben.anthonisz
ben.anthonisz

I've owned this for a few years now. I bought it to try and replace my Bvlgari Aqva Marine that I'd owned four or so bottles of. i got it on holidays in the U.S.A and I haven't really seen it until recently in Australia. This is what I wear when I don't wanna wear my Cartier fragrances, cos I'm stingy.

I think everyone's beat this poor fragrance to death. I think, that it's quite fresh, without it losing its masculinity. I think people expect every fragrance to be a signature scent, and don't allow more anonymous scents to have their day in the sun. Anyway, regardless.

It's very fresh, without it, to my nose, being harshly chemically or synthetic. It doesn't smell like something a professional would wear, or something that you'd wear on a date. It's more of an every day, filler in fragrance I feel. It's defiantly a young fragrance (I'd love to know the ages of some of the people that beat this, and other citrusy or aquatics to death). I've never garnered any comments or compliments on the scent, outside of 'you smell nice'. No one has ever asked me what it is, or similar. So it is anonymous. The shopping mall sentiment from an earlier reviewer could be something I would agree with, but not mind as much.

It sits well on my skin, lasting for hours and hours, not that I've measured. I've never felt the need to reapply during the day. I have been an on and off smoker for years, smoking lightly, and this has always been a good deterrent for the smell, even when only applied once in the morning. It is also a fine fragrance to do a light spray on a jacket to compliment or remove the smell of tobacco.

So yeah, it is forgettable, affordable but pleasant and inoffensive. The fact that it's not exclusive, or doesn't have that signature vibe is part of its appeal. It's not from a 'master' perfumer or from a dedicated perfume house or the main scent of the collection. So, for it's purpose and its pricing, it's fine!

Dakkuwan
Dakkuwan

I want to try my hand at the single sentence review a la Turin...

This cologne smells like a poisonous margarita, utterly toxic and nauseating.

I think I could add to that with a full length review but honestly it's just so cheap and harsh that it's not worth it.

Oleander & Wine
Oleander & Wine

The artificial smell of shopping malls, the generic reek of magazines with cologne inserts, the smell of synthetic leather purses in which cheap perfume has spilled.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Awful, scrubber.

And, excuse me, but black is the color of Antaeus. This stuff isn't remotely black in any way, shape or form. It's relentlessly sharp and yellow. And how, precisely is it "vintage?"

A failure all around.

steve0580
steve0580

A bit of citrus, a bit of wood. Not bad but very generic.

jose.m.perez
jose.m.perez

My first impression of this fragrance was very pleasant and masculine. It opens with a crisp citric aromatic notes and wen it dries it remembers me of the original Black from KC. Woody, green and dirty. I'm not a big fan of the original Black but Black Vintage feels more fresh and casual. The longevity is kind of average (3-5 hours) and the sillage is soft but still not weak.
I really recommend to try first this fragrance with a sample cuz is not a safe blind buy. But personally I love Vintage Black more than the original Black.
3.5 out of 5.

griffon
griffon

I have both this and the original Black, and I think this one outdoes the original.

The citrus notes that open the fragrance are perfection, and I enjoy how they grow and develop into a strong and smooth woodsy base. I can definitely smell lime and grapefruit, and after that the tequila a little bit. Even after the top notes have seemed to "end", they are still somewhat evident in the base as the woods reflect back onto the citrus'.

I think it's a winner. One of, if not the best cologne I own!

KeithScar
KeithScar

KC Vintage Black is a very nice frag but gets overshadowed by the original Black, which is also good but in my opinion cant hold a candle next to Vintage Black. The citrus and tequila blend pops u in the mouth but dries down with a nice sandlewood. Perfect for day and night in the spring/summer

MonarC
MonarC

I don't get all negative comments here! Well, it's not something "vintage", but it's pretty nice scent! It smells little bit sporty and salty. But it's nice mix of lemon and then little but of Tequila. Lasting power is great! I really like it!

jodee
jodee

This is too sexy:). I got some for my hubs for his bday. I love it. It's so sexy. I don't see why all the bad reviews?

Edit: I am noticing a bit more of the tequila scent since I've been on the forums. I may be ever-so-slightly turning from this but not altogether. I'd still be bummed if this were to discontinue.

almansor
almansor

I´ve read some really bad and confusing reviews about this frag and I just can´t go conform with them.

Some people say this frag just smells too boozy. Sorry, but this would be the first frag to smell like cheap liquor. That´s just ridiculous.

You see, I´m just an average german guy, and with Wolfgang Joop and Carlos Lagerfeldos on my side, I pretty much feel like Robinson Crusoe with a Banana in one hand and a wooden...dildo ...lets face it, we have awesome cars but fragrance like, we just suck.

So I´m in a state of swissness. Total open to the world of fragrances.

And with my nose, I´ve been able to travel the world just visiting my local douglas shop, and compared to some real good french scents (and some real crappy french scents) Mr. Kenneth Cole´s scent Black vintage does a real good job.

I can´t see why some folks would like to beat the bejesus out of it, ´cause let´s face it, it smells manly in a citric way. But not annoying citric.

It smells like a cool drink with a slice of lemon on the brink, sitting in your favorite bar, that kind of smell you wanne smell on your collar, when you finally got the beauty of the office (or the next door beauty, for those of you who don´t work in a frikkin office like me) to finally attend at a rendez-vous with you in that very bar.

Trust me, you don´t want to smell like Le Mal (spelled wrong, intentionally). You don´t want to smell like you´ve just been neutured when you finally got her this far.

Stand up! Smell like a man! This frag is the right way to go.

Besides all the above, I have to admit it that this frag isn´t top notch. But let´s face it: A BMW is not a Ferrari. But it is still a BMW. And a top notch fragrance is something else...something a girl in heat couldn´t possibly apreciate, with all the hormons and all the expectations. She´s just facing too much stess thinking about the colour of your mutual childrens eyes.

Again, "Le male" would be the wrong way, cause you wouldn´t feel confident, when she needs a strong shoulder to lean on. Poor thing.

After all, this is a fine, magicly citric, slightly bloomy scent with a dominant tequilla note.

For those who can´t immagine how this smells like: it´s just awesome. Period.

Give it a chance.

*Musing* Just what is it I wonder, that made them call this Vintage?

The ad shows a guy in a leather jacket (obviously worn) and faded jeans and rebellious "devil-may-care" attitude...where is the leather, the sexiness, the BLACK?!?! I am a BIG fan of Kenneth Cole (his scents, his footwear and most of all his clothing), this was a let down for sure. I am glad I did not shell out $67.50 for the 100ml (only size available) EDT!!

Maybe all the wonderful vintages and luxurious samples sent to me by other members have spoiled my nose...but this is NO vintage and barely even Black (I love Black original!) Woody? sure, eventually; aromatic? I guess. Check it out....

This begins with a HUGE citrus blast of grapefruit (bitter and zesty) and lime (dry and sour) along some non-descript greens. Modern and bright for sure, and very clean and light. The heart breaks no new ground as lavender is once again covered in a subtle white pepper, though the sharp booziness of tequila is a bit different. This is not all that different from Set Sail St Barts from Tommy Bahama...and, this is actually less appealing to me. That, at least, had some tropical leaves and salty sea spray to go with the tequila and lime!! The drydown of oak (actually a magnificent scent when smelled in real life) and sandalwood is ho-hum at best. This is coming off my WISH list as soon as I post this. The scent strip in GQ smelled better than the actual EDT from a tester bottle. Do yourself a favor, folks: spend the extra 15 dollars or so, and get Quercus from Penhaligon's or just buy the original Black...at least IT has some character and sex appeal. This is not worth even the discount prices listed here!

Sillage: okay
Longevity: decent
Overall: 2/5

Kenneth Cole: What the hell were you thinking? Too much tequila the night before no doubt! LOL...

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

Contrasting classic masculinity with metropolitan modernity, VINTAGE BLACK is authentic and unforgettable - a blend of effervescent citrus, masculine woods and soft skin musks. It fuses the past with the attitude of today.

Mindphlux
Mindphlux

Being a huge fan of the original Black I decided to try this one out. Make no mistake - just because this cologne has the Name Black in it does not mean its the same or even similar scent... I notice they don't list the nose behind this scent. I would imagine it was a nobody and not the original noses, Harry and Sabine. This cologne is nothing like the original Black. It smells like a cross between Polo Black and Armani Code... only not as good as either of those. As a die hard original Black fan - i do not recommend this vintage black at all.

Stefan
Stefan

I smelled it and for about 2 minutes lingered in it. That's 2 minutes, not 5 minuets. It was ok, but honestly not good enough for me. I'm sure some will love it.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Kenneth Cole Kenneth Cole Vintage Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Kenneth Cole Kenneth Cole Vintage Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Kenneth Cole Vintage Black by Kenneth Cole. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Kenneth Cole Vintage Black by Kenneth Cole represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.