Designers » I-K » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Unknown Pleasures Kerosene for women and men
dislike

caramel
Unknown Pleasures Kerosene for women and men Pictures

Kerosene Fragrances Unknown Pleasures is a new fragrance presented in 2013. The first fragrance presented to the market by Kerosene Fragrances was R'Oud Elements, and it was followed by seven more editions during 2012.

About the fragrance: "You're walking down a cold street in Manchester, listening to Joy Division, sipping on a warm cup of London Fog. This fragrance opens up with the smooth sweetness of honey with Earl Grey tea, with a zing of lemon. It dries down to a cozy vanilla, soft tonka bean and waffle cone base, sure to make any gourmand lover smile." Perfumer of the edition is John Pegg.

Official notes: Earl Grey tea, lemon, honey, bergamot, tonka, caramel, vanilla and waffle cone.

Fragrance Unknown Pleaures is available in a gold-colored flacon 100 ml EDP, launched in 2013.

Lemon Earl Grey Tea Honey Bergamot Caramel Vanila Tonka Bean

Extract of Limes Cologne
Island
So Hooked on Carmella
Ptisenbon Lemon Pie

Unknown Pleasures Fragrance Reviews

rockerchick
rockerchick

Ive gone through 2 samples of this and finally ordered a larger dacant because I love this sccent so much! (hoping for a large bottle for xmas) :)

For me, it starts out a lemon dream bars like grandma used to make, with tangy yet creamy notes of lemon, then softly transitions into a lemony earl grey for a while, and finally rests as a soft vanilla with traces of amber- very light and only noticable if Im smelling my skin directly.

Perfection for any gourmand lover, especially those that love citrus.

mothwings
mothwings

This is one of those crack scents that turns you into a wrist-sniffing slave. First it is a strong sweet lemon pie with a thick graham cracker crust. Then it mellows out into a lemon cookie. It dries down gradually becoming more creamy and vanillic, resembling a lemon-vanilla ice cream on a cone. After the lemon is gone it smells just like L de Lolita Lempicka!

Unknown Pleasures really touches a place deep in my heart. It is truly a scent for pleasing one's inner child. I almost started crying the first time I smelled it. It is that good--pure innocent joy in a bottle. Maybe I am biased though because I have always loved lemon flavored sweets. But I never would have thought I'd love a citrus-centric perfume so much. I wish I got more tea from this but regardless I will totally be buying this eventually. At $140 for 100ml it is way worth it for me. And that bottle is awesome. Love. Love. Love.

landshark321
landshark321

Unknown Pleasures is uncanny, unlike any other citrus OR gourmand that I've smelled previously. It walks the line of a citrus bomb of lemon and bergamot as well as a sweet overload of waffle cone and a host of other gourmand notes.

Comparisons to lemon pie, a lemon icee, or any other sort of lemon dessert / confection are pretty fair. It actually reminds me of cotton candy to some extent, the citrus influence notwithstanding. I get a decent amount of the waffle cone aspect rather than vanilla or tonka, so it lands somewhere between lemon gelato and candy.

Performance is strong, not quite as strong as Copper Skies or Follow, but certainly worthwhile for a fragrance that I'd say you need to love in order to buy at $140 for 100ml.

7 out of 10

Cloudburst2000
Cloudburst2000

I have recently picked up this fragrance. I really love the smell of lemon but most lemon-based fragrances start smelling like lemon-scented cleaner after a while. Not so with this one! I never get a lemon cleaner smell with this one. This fragrance is what I would classify as a gourmand. It reminds me of the lemon-poppyseed muffins I sometimes get at my local bakery....YUM! I also get a hint of caramel and vanilla. I would say longevity is pretty good (several hours), and I get decent projection.

the_badger
the_badger

My first experience with a perfume from this house. I must say, it smells of... kerosene! Who da thunk! And it ruined it for me. It just don't think gasoline and sweet things work well together.

kanak
kanak

Unknown Pleasures is a true gourmand, ie, actually smells like a lemon tart with vanilla whipped cream on top. Literally. Main Notes are sweet lemon, salty caramel and vanilla mainly and a sweet honeyed tea and Tonka underneath although these come into play only mildly. Longevity and projection are both good as well. Creative conceptualization here is brilliant. Whether it is wearable depends on how much you like sweet gourmands. For me personally, it's a weekend fragrance. It's the kind of playful fun fragrance I like wearing to Sunday brunch at the pub or on a long drive with friends. In short, it's totally a mood fragrance for me and the mood is casual fun. Comments range from " you smell yummy" to " Did somebody go to the bakery, why do I smell lemon cake?" so make of that what you will. I personally enjoy this fragrance. 8/10

Anand_R
Anand_R

Meh

Smells like a clumsy pastry chef who spilled a lot of Earl Grey on his apron and probably into the cake too.

A very (nauseatingly) heady, sweet lemon cake opening. The lemon reminding me of a dish-washing liquid. Lots of sweet n salty caramel. Something very thick and butter-like - almost smelling like cocoa butter. Truckloads of coconut. Very oily and very un-perfumelike. Lots of tea, somehow smelling decent amidst this seemingly chaotic brew.

In all honesty it smelled like I was working all day in the kitchen, baking some goodies with all those ingredients and then didn't feel it was necessary to take a bath (or change my clothes) before landing up for tea. All those smells still linger on...in a totally annoying sort of way. All that's left now is a very uninteresting and uncreative drydown of plain ol' vanilla and powdery tonka.

I'm really new to this "niche" world. Tried a few so far and have liked most of them. They always smell good/pleasant. And more importantly I love gourmands, which is why this was the first one I tried from their discovery set of 12. And all I wanted to do was take a shower and wear something else. That's really not a good feeling. Definitely meh, for me.

Anyways. This is new to me. Maybe this is creative and I can't tell it yet. I'm going to try the other 11 from this set and figure how it goes.

?/10

AveParfum
AveParfum

This is the absolute BEST gourmand I have tried in a long time! I kind of got over gourmands some time ago. The only one I really wear these days is 1969. But a whiff of the nozzle of Unknown Pleasures had me hooked. Actually I thought it smelled like smooth, creamy, sandalwood. When I sprayed it on my skin, I don't know about tea, caramel, and waffle cones--it was 100% pure lemon meringue pie. It is so realistically gourmand that I almost didn't buy it. But the creamy sandalwood-like note did me in. I had been looking for a perfume to wear when I take my daughter on our weekly outing to the zoo, and this is definitely it! On top of smelling absolutely delectable, it does not cause me to have massive frontal headaches and does not get my asthma going, which is not the norm for perfumes anymore. So I'm not sure if they use a good amount of naturals in it, but I feel safe wearing it around my young child because of the lack of symptoms I associate with all the chemicals in perfumes, which is a huge bonus.

Q80
Q80

A french lemon caramel tart. Not the cloying tart, a cold edible lemon tart with sweet cheese! and powdery sugar on top on a crumble biscuit plate, delicious :)
I don't want to smell like that but i want to eat that :D

Salvas
Salvas

Unknown Pleasure smells like the most gourmand lemon tart. A blend of very, very sweet notes. This is pure pleasure for the nose. It just smells amazing. This scent is so sweet that I can only see a very young girl wearing it. Longevity for me is not that great but the solution is to apply generously. What else to say ? This is the most delightful smell I know after Ambre Narguile.

lilalina
lilalina

One of the most beautiful gourmands out there imho. Very beautiful, unlike any other. Lemon sorbet, cookies, British tea. Evokes happiness. Pure bliss

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

The tea and lemon beginning stays just this side of Lemon Pledge. Then the caramel kicks in and it stays just this side of sickeningly sweet. It reminds me of drinking sugary lemonade on a hot, humid day. It's a fine line this walks but it walks it well.

But wait for the waffle! It's amazing how it can dry down to a scent so specific and yet not come off as indulgently literal. I get a perfectly crispy, freshly baked waffle cone from this. But I don't think anyone smelling me would have any idea other than that I smell wonderful. The drydown is surprisingly light and would be safe to wear in summer, even in a humid climate. It's not overbearingly sweet at all.

This projects moderately but consistently and lasts all day. I'm very impressed and I can see myself possibly snagging a bottle down the road.

Ewalk81
Ewalk81

So I just received a sample of this from Indie scents, and smelling on paper compared to on the skin is like WOW!!! It's definitely sweet, but not a cheap smelling sweet. Lemon and Caramel. Gotta love it

meows
meows

I was so excited to try this after reading so many wonderful reviews but it just didn't work out for me at all!!

Initial spray is a very bright and zesty lemon; a promising start! Unfortunately this leaves pretty much right away and is replaced by what I can only compare to one of those cheap lemon/vanilla tree things that you hang in cars.

After about 3 hours-ish it begins to get a more creamy-vanilla vibe (think ice cream, but softer.. like somebody took it out of the freezer and forgot about it); this stays for the next couple hours with a more caramelly flavour coming in as time goes on.
At 5~6ish hours I get some rendition of the waffle cone note, with that half-melted caramel ice cream from earlier slopped inside. Sounds yummy I guess, but to my nose smells entirely synthetic and more like a cheap room fragrance than anything else.

The waffle/caramel is where the scent ends for me and it slowly fades from this point for the final few hours, completely disappearing around hour no 9.

Overall, disappointing perfume that'd make a better candle IMO.

Update 03/06/16:
I've been re-trying my sample of this every so often after reading the glowing reviews (and convincing myself I've got it wrong) - yesterday being my most recent attempt. Unfortunately every time I end up with the exact same cheapo candle scent that I cannot reconcile back to all of these raves at all. Ugh. :(

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

Love it. I picked this bottle up in the shop to sample it because it shares a name with one of my favourite albums. While the lemony smell of it doesn't say "Manchester" or "Joy Divison" to me (they are both more suited to Kerosene's Black Vines, which is pure motor oil cut with liquorice and juicy fruits), there is the tiniest dark, cold aspect to it, hidden behind the sweet lemon, that reminds me of the city's industrial heritage and the band, so I think I get what the perfumer was aiming for here. This isn't a bright Sicilian lemon or a powdery lemon - it's more of a lemon custard ice cream eaten on an English seaside holiday, where the water is never warm enough to go for a swim. The spiciness (hint of ginger) is just delicious, very cozy - a two-up, two-down Manchester home when you try to keep the damp out as best as you can. It's a hopeful scent, with a tiny bit of innocence lost. I wish I could eat what this smells like.

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

I acquired a bit of this from a split with a lovely fragrantican!!! OMG!! This the the citrus and gourmand of my DREAMS! I love lemon cake and lemon cookies and lemonade and fresh lemons with salt and . . . well you get it! At first spritz your mouth salivates from the lemon blast opening. Then in short order the vanilla, caramel and tonka sweeten it perfectly but allowing the lemon essence stay relevant. Soon I am enveloped in an experience akin to nibbling the perfect lemon cookie with the perfect cup of EG tea sweetened with a dollop of honey and squirt of lemon!!! Just wonderful and refreshing for cooler weather IMO. Aaahhh....I wished I'd jumped in the split earlier so I could have gotten a bigger cut. LOL But alas it will be on my wish list and I will probably take the financial plunge and go for it.

Vanillacarmelcoffee
Vanillacarmelcoffee

Decided to purchase this last week because I've read a few reviews on this fragrance, it's pretty good it smells lemony at first but then it transitions into a creamy-like vanilla coconut lemon shake. Imagine blending a vanilla shake and adding a bit of lemon extract and coconut zest, as soon as you lift off the lid and you get that initial blast and aroma - that's what this smells like. I like it. The downside is that to me, it doesn't last that long (the fragrance in general) and I wish it projected a little more. It could be just nose fatigue. I'm happy I purchased this but I wish it was a bit more concentrated.

Guinea54
Guinea54

great fragrance. A citrus gourmand that is well done with amazing projection and longevity. I for one get a lemon cream coconut custard pie. No one else here seems to get coconut but me. But it wasn't only me, I got comments from people saying wow what is the smell it smells amazing, and saying it smells like coconut.

deathpill
deathpill

Met a girl yesterday who was wearing this. She tried to choke me. I asked her what it was and I told her I was asking because I loved it. I lied. I love gourmands but I couldn't decide if I liked this or hated because in that tiny elevator it was overwhelming. But then after we got out of that tiny space to our own destinations, I wanted to smell it again, I wanted to smell it so bad I dreamt about it. If that's what this scent can do... well... Should I get it? Or will I not like it if I'm constantly with it? Aaaaaaaah!

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

dmckean44 nails it - Girl scout Lemon Pastry Creams.

Edit: Good news for cookie lovers - this lasts a long time - 16 hours + from a tiny dab on the wrist and has good sillage and consistency throughout.

Street_Chemist
Street_Chemist

absolutely intoxicating & beautifuly blended. I've always been a fan of sweet fragrances and this definitely makes the list. The opening I admit is more on the lemon side. Shortly though it calm down and develop it own character. I would say for a blind buy it's safe, it's none offensive, and project well on me. scale from 1 to 10 a solid 7 :)

Eos
Eos

I'm perplexed. I like this, I really like this, but I'm not smelling what literally everyone else is smelling here. Everyone reports that this scent reminds them of waffle cones. What I am smelling does not remind me even remotely of waffle cones or anything gourmand.

Instead I'm reminded of old school perfumes featuring citrus such as Jean Nate and Shalimar (minus the vanillic drydown). You know what people mean when they say something smells like "perfume"? That's what I'm getting here--- a general perfumeness possibly attributable to citrus aldehydes and a few indistinct dark notes in the base.

Perhaps it is skin chemistry or perhaps my sample is off or tainted. I'm just not sure, but removed from all marketing and foreknowledge I would have guessed that this was an old school chypre with a prominent bergamot opening. My husband's guess was that I was wearing something close to vintage Y by Yves Saint Laurent. I have no idea how it would smell on someone else.

Lovely but not gourmand on my skin. Sample, don't blind buy.

heymoe9
heymoe9

I got a sample of this from a very sweet Fragrantican. Usually I don't use samples I get, they go to work with me and get fought over, but this was different. I kept it to myself, hoarding it like a treasure. When others asked to try my sample since I usually shared, I snarled at them and said "mine". They were not happy.

It was not a clear cut love for me from the start, we had a tough time. The opening citrus smelled like celery on my, as some citrus does, and I couldn't figure out what people saw in it. Then all of a sudden something changed, there was orange, and vanilla tangling together, then caramel peeked its head in. Since I don't like chocolate, caramel is my weakness, and this was great caramel.

This instantly went on my want list and I made myself delay the purchase as I finished my sample. It now resides in the front of my perfume cabinet for easy access for summer wear. I will not share it!

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

I don't understand how so many people are raving about this perfume. It smells JUST like a lemon warhead on me (maybe a skin chemistry problem? not sure). :(

little elf
little elf

Wow, this REALLY smells like waffles and tea with lemon and honey to me. If you blindfolded me, you could probably trick me into thinking I was smelling breakfast rather than perfume. But that's the thing, while it's a very pleasant smell, it's not something I actually want to smell like. Just my personal preference though. This is a gourmand in the truest sense of the word, definitely worth trying.

dsty
dsty

Unknown Pleasures is, for me, the happy discovery that my two favourite categories "citrus" and "gourmand" can indeed go together without becoming either too synthetic and cloying or too realistic to be worn as perfume. I'm so glad I found this!

This is lemon pastry all the way through. I'll agree with the description "vanilla waffle cone"; it's more reminiscent of that than of caramel. That's a good thing in my opinion, it makes it lighter and more wearable. The tea and wood notes complement the pastry notes beautifully, adding some layers of depth. Together this all makes for a scent that's at the same time very sweet and relatively light; easy to wear/inoffensive and intriguing. Hard to describe, but wonderful. I think it would work in all seasons except for the hottest part of summer.

The great thing about this perfume (apart from the smell, of course) is the longevity. It lasts all day, regularly sending up delicious waves of smell from my wrists to brighten my mood, while not leaving a scent trail a mile around; just the way I like my work perfumes. If some of it got on my clothes or bedding, I can smell lovely traces of it for days or even weeks, reminding me that I have to start saving more money so I can buy a whole bottle of this wonderful scent.

dmckean44
dmckean44

Smells like Lemon Pastry Creme Girl Scout cookies.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

I see how this fragrance could go one of two ways on people very easily, depending on chemistry! Either into a gorgeous gourmand, or into house-cleaning supplies.

Luckily, I'm in the percentage that gets graced with a delicious gourmand! I definitely get the "waffle cone" in this, which many people have mentioned... right alongside a lemon ice cream feel. Or lemon-starburst.

Lemon is definitely the prominent note, and it progresses into something a little bit more creamy and delicious as the scent dries down, so you get a fresh ------> sweet type of combination. I'm blown away every time I spray this fragrance on, it turned into a little obsession where I can't put it down!

The longevity is GREAT for something so fresh & sweet - easily 7-10 hours.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Al Rehab Soft rebottled and less intense. The main notes are very much the same. Soft say citruses but it's lemon. Caramel and vanilla are the only other notes of the Al Rehab. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this. I don't get any tea from this one. Save yourself a boatload of cash and get Al Rehab Soft! Thank me later.

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

This perfume wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be hearing about lemon waffle cones and almost no mention of the other notes.
On me the earl gray tea note is HUGE. When I first spray I smell entirely the earl grey tea and lemon. It's a bit of an unusual smell, reminding me of rain jackets and the fabric that makes tents. Once the perfume settles I do start to smell more vanilla and caramel but the earl grey tea note is still strong. This fragrance conjures the image of a camp site to me, with the smell of that unusual waterproof fabric, sunshine, and lemon sherbert ice cream cones from the ice cream cart by the lake. There is something smokey about the caramel, reminds me of toasted mallows over a bonfire!
This fragrance lasts amazingly long on me, 11 hours I could still smell it just fine. The earl gray tea is still alive and well up to 8 hours, finally dying down for my final 3 hours were it was pretty faint and I got more of the sweeter notes.
Interesting, unique blend. I felt like I really wasn't experiencing what most people writing the reviews were. Rather than a decadent gourmand experience I got something a lot more earthy, but with a sweet side.

AmusedMuse
AmusedMuse

This is such a beautiful fragrance, it is my new signature. It's both a fresh and warm lemon with fantastic longevity. I have been looking for a fresh, comforting, non cloying gourmand for quite some time and I am so happy to have found this. The earl grey tea note is gorgeous, and the vanilla/tonka/waffle cone notes are subtle and float in the background providing smoothness.

Never too sweet, and compliments abound EVERY time I wear it, usually "What IS that?" combined with "You smell AMAZING!".

I love the gorgeous artisanal bottle as well, and it's a great amount of fragrance for the price.

I am so happy for discovering Fragrantica, I would have never found this without you!

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

I read the blurb about this perfume after I'd sprayed it, and I see I'm not alone when I say I can't think of a single fragrance that reminds me less of either Joy Division or Manchester. Industrial, textile mill, music, culture, football, urban sprawl, Manchester was the city where scientists first split the atom. Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, a grey momentous tome of an album full of gravitas and tracks like "She's Lost Control", Ian Curtis's reference maybe to his worsening epilepsy. This perfume, a slab of Thorntons toffee (the sort that comes with a hammer to break it), with half a ton of Lemon flash on top. It's 3D in layers on the back of my hand after 6 hours.. amazingly realistic, strange, and possibly from another dimension... in that respect only then quite like Joy Division who sit in the history of music alone in time and space.

belle de sud
belle de sud

I nearly scrubbed Unknown Pleasures off at first, but hung in there to get to the honey-vanilla-waffle cone drydown which is wonderful! A true gourmand.

Yamba1
Yamba1

With lemon being the dominant note, one could easily be led to believe that Unknown Pleasures would be fresh and light. The lemony opening however is steeped in honey and tonka bean. I tested this blind so was initially confused with this combination. There was also the suggestion of desiccated coconut there for the moment. Soon, the lemon fades, and the vanilla caramel remains. If someone had told me there was incense in the base I would believe it. The caramel is slightly smoked and is indeed a pleasure to wear.

Zelda
Zelda

Well I got a sample and it didn't take long to decide I would have to have a bottle . First try from vial I didn't get the lemon the earl grey not familiar with so couldn't say. I got the caramel vanilla and waffle cone and on second wearing I got the lemon immediately. So I got my bottle and this is just pure love there's no part that feels like hard work no bit I just have to get past I love every thing about it. It's sweet and comforting I get wafts of it coming unexpected hours after I've applied it, yes it's got great longevity . The bottle is gorgeous comes in a little velvet pouch. I'm a little fickle with my loves but this is top of the heap right now.

kris919
kris919

my sample opened with a sweet lemon note, it almost smells just like the lime opening of Creed's virgin island water..which a scent I love. But on me, the Unknown Pleasures lemon note stayed exactly the same on my skin for a few hours. It got softer but lemon was the only note the whole time. I got no caramel, tea, or waffle cone. wth? I'll sample this again tomorrow, but I really can't see how I'll get something totally different out of it. this was not a good choice for my chemistry I guess. I would sample first, just in case its all lemon on you too.
This was tested indoors in the a/c, I'm going to try it tomorrow outdoors in the heat and see if I get the other listed notes.
UPDATE: I tried it in outdoor heat, and I got the caramel note finally...but not for a couple hours. no tea or waffle cone notes that I could tell. I mean it's a nice combo, but unless this grows on me over time...right now I can say it's not fb worthy for me

kayley123
kayley123

This opens with VERY strong citrus, definitely lemon and the slightly sour, bitter bergamot, but it then those notes disappear a few minutes in and dries to a very lovely, rich, THICK caramel (it isn't powdery or floral like Jessica Simpson Fancy), very rich and very, VERY gourmand.
It's been compared to Xerjoff Lira, but it's not fruity, not spicy, no cinnamon. Lira is more complex, a bit of a bunch of sweet, yummy gourmand notes, but Unknown Pleasures is mostly just caramel...a BEAUTIFUL caramel, but mostly just that.

Another note though:
Demeter Sticky Toffee gives me almost the same thing as Unknown Pleasures...(the caramel smell isn't as rich and thick and full, and it's powdery or chalky and "brittle"--more like toffee than caramel--but it doesn't have the citrus which depending on your preference, could be positive or negative)...and at a tiny fraction of the cost. Since the citrus disappeared on me, I feel like Sticky Toffee is a very cheap alternative. Not as long-lasting, but Sticky Toffee is so cheap I probably wouldn't mind applying and lot or reapplying.

Updated review 8/6/13

I love the scent, I hate the lack of projection, that's really all there is to it. However, there was an interesting upside. With the last little few drops of my sample, I mixed it with equal parts of an ending sample of Edition Blanche, and they both complemented each other greatly, and made one big awesome fragrance.

Ed. Blanche had an additional caramel note (which is mostly what made UP stand out compared to EB) to add to its vetiver, the ingredients used to project EB lent a hand to UP to allow it to project, and the sharp citrus of EB played along nicely with the sweeter citrus of UP.

In conclusion, if I had more, I'd either add it to more of my EB in a decant, or try to at least add some perfumer's alcohol to it. It's not FBW on its own, although the bottles are original and nicely made IMO, but the lack of projection on my skin doesn't help the price justify the juice. If John can get the kinks worked out and make this project a lot more, it would be a surefire win in my book.

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Just fantastic. The onset is a blast of my favorite kind of citrus: brisk, fresh, and tangy. It's balanced out with a lovely gourmand quality that made me immediately imagine European hazelnut candies. This is a nostalgic and comforting fragrance. Unknown Pleasures causes me to imagine a woman, grounded and stable in her life and career, opening up an old box of mementos from her college days. She looks back fondly on her memories of a semester abroad in Belgium: living in a small flat above a bakery where the smell of bread and cookies filled her room every morning at 5am. Carefree afternoons in the park, sipping tea and lemonade with a confidante. Maybe even hints of a long-forgotten summer fling and the Dior Eau Sauvage he would spray on his t-shirt before a date.

Unknown Pleasures features many characteristics that I admire greatly. It is complex but still wearable. The materials are very high-quality and the sillage is appropriate. I imagine this fragrance being well-appreciated by anyone who catches a whiff of it in public, but it is still distinctive enough that you'll be the only person wearing anything like it. Telling a story and evoking a golden nostalgia, Unknown Pleasures is as much of a treat for your mind as it is for your nose. Bravo.

iamfcon

Sometimes with a fragrance, I say to myself "I don't know what I expected" (as per the famous Arrested Development line). This one, was the complete opposite. I knew exactly what I was expecting, thanks to a few different members who mentioned this to be like a lemon sorbet in a waffle cone. Upon first spray, I actually also get something hitting the back of my brain, giving me familiar memories to eating Fruity Pebbles as well. While it is still drying, it does turn into a lemon and vanilla caramel scent still, with the lemon not being as intense as Chanel Edition Blanche.

I was waiting to purchase a bottle of Edition Blanche upon the basis of trying this fragrance out. This is just a test on my wrist, I still need to fully wear it, but so far, I love both, but for different reasons. I love the creamy parts of Edition Blanche along with its sting of citrus, and I love this for its citrus with no sting, and the way it hangs out with the rest of the sweets.

Longevity and sillage tests have yet to come, but so far, if you like gourmands, and you like citrus, this is definitely best of both worlds. If this ends up being a sillage and longevity beast, I can easily see it being one of John's best sellers.

EDIT: Wore it today, the day after writing this review, and it's still a great scent, but two things:

1. Now that I smell it, it's definitely nothing like Edition Blanche. If I had to pick one or the other, I'd end up getting a bottle of both, I like them each for their own reasons.

2. It does not project nearly as much as Edition Blanche so far. It sits a bit closer to the skin, maybe 2-3" projection after a couple of hours went by. As I said though, if John can get this to project more without too much of a reformulation, I can definitely see this being one of his best sellers.

mtheory8
mtheory8

I have smelled a lot of great gourmand scents like your A*Men, Rochas Man. When I smell those scents, I think: Oh yea, it kind of smell like ingredients that are in food like chocolate, or sugar.

But Unknown Pleasures, when I smell it, it smells JUST LIKE THE FOOD. If I close my eyes, I would think I'm smelling some delicious lemon pastry sitting next to a cup of warm tea. It not only smells fantastic, it makes my mouth water.

Now whether you want to smell like something you can eat is up to you. But the scent alone is absolutely amazing in portraying what gourmands should smell like. I think this is a masterpiece of a fragrance and if you like to smell like a lemon pastry dipped in hot tea, give this a try!

One of my all-time gourmands. easily.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

The top notes made my mouth water as soon as applied, it reminds me a fruitcake covered with candied fruit sorrel, I feel something that looks like ginger, but this note is not listed. Shortly thereafter I smell again and it is more citric with sweet nuance in the background, but still noticeable, at times these two nuances alternate.

When it evolves, the nuance sweet and citrus are balanced and are in the same evidence, is a sweet tart, reminiscent of a cookie / lemon pie.

Citric gourmand amazing, delicious.

javagirl1972
javagirl1972

I live in Central Pennsylvania, and once a year a bakery releases a spice cookie that is very thin, spicy, but not too sweet. The dry down reminds me of the spicy cookie. The opening of this scent smells just like lemon curd out of the jar. Really yummy.

nancyknows
nancyknows

It is astonishing to me that the inspiration for this fragrance came from Joy Division-- they are not known for sunniness and this is one of the sunniest fragrances I have ever tried. It smells exactly like lemon gelato from Amalfi, Italy (a region where they grow extraordinary lemons the size of a baby's head), in a fresh-baked waffle cone. A lovely composition, well-blended and never sickeningly sweet or waxy or chemical. It does not suit my personality at all, but if you love sweet gourmands it is definitely a must try. As for me, I'll take the decant out once in a while when I want to be reminded of my honeymoon. I can't wear it because (a) it makes me hungry and (b) it has no darkness or mystery. Nevertheless, I'm sure it would be insanely good on the right person.

Decent sillage (I'd say arms-length) and excellent longevity (I applied it at 6 pm last night and can still smell it a bit at 11:00 am today).