Designers » I-K » Leather « Groups

Knize Ten Knize for men
dislike

leather
smoky
Knize Ten Knize for men Pictures Knize Ten Knize for men Pictures Knize Ten Knize for men Pictures

Knize Ten, a classic and a unique scent, is considered to be one of the best leather compositions in the history of perfume. It was launched in the 1920s. A founder of the House is Joseph Knize, the Viennese tailor of the Royal Court.

The nose behind this fragrant creation is a perfumer Vincent Roubert, and the design of the bottle is attributed to the Viennese architect Adolf Loos. Number ten in the name symbolizes the polo game.

This extremely masculine fragrance contains notes of leather, tar, citruses and flowers. The top notes are citric and fresh with petit grain, orange, lemon, rosemary and bergamot. The heart is the woody with cedar, patchouli and sandalwood, and floral - spicy with rose, iris, carnation, cinnamon and clove, while the leather base contains castor oil, ambergris, musk and moss.

Available as toilet water of 30 and 125 ml, 125 ml aftershave lotion and deodorant spray. Knize Ten was created by Vincent Roubert and Francois Coty.

Petitgrain Orange Amalfi Lemon Rosemary Bergamot Geranium

Virginia Cedar Patchouli Sandalwood tincture of rose Carnation Cinnamon Orange Blossom Orris

Leather Amber Musk oak moss Castoreum Vanilla

Royal English Leather

Knize Ten Fragrance Reviews

minipoly
minipoly

I bought several huge bottles of this because I never want to run out (and risk further reformulation or even discontinuation). They are both splash (which I decant into a sprayer), they are darker in color, and they are also somewhat recent batches. I could swear that somehow this has managed to slip past IFRA because there are things in this that you just don't get to smell anymore, namely the rich, oily type of leather and noticeable quantity of oakmoss.
Maybe the lighter colored bottles are poorly reformulated and smell different, because how anyone doesn't get leather from this is beyond me. This is shoe polish and boot leather at its finest, especially at it's initial phase. I only wish it stayed like this throughout its evolution. I don't really get florals except for carnation. I don't get raspberry or strawberry. It has a semi-sweet woody amber and vanilla heart which may come across as being somewhat powdery, but it's more of the dry variety than baby powder. I do get a touch of animalic note very late and sometimes even a faint incense accord. I never got a bathroom cleaner vibe, that's suprising. As always, be wary of the power of suggestion (including that cartoon advert above - what's that really got to do with this, other than Knize as a tailor? I wouldn't market it this way. I'd have something along the lines of Steve Mcqueen on a motorcycle. I don't see this as being 'dandy' as a few have stated. this is too dark and blue collar, if anything.)
Anyway, I do find that this can be harsh and paralyze my sinuses at first spray, so I purposely try not to breathe until all the dust has settled. I also wouldn't recommend sniffing too close (at least early on), that may render your nose useless as well (like with Aromatics Elixir or Encre Noire). It's magic really hovers above ground anyway.

Film Noir retro and way too cool to ever seem dated.

goes well with Gran Turismo ;)

micavana
micavana

Let me start by saying that the fist time I wore Knize Ten, I did not care for it. The strong floral opening really threw me off so I abandoned this scent.

Fast forward to present day and a fellow fragrance head of mine said to me... "I don't understand why you don't just love Knize Ten. You love Bel Ami and Floris Mahon Leather, you SHOULD love this one as well." Thinking about that statement I said to myself "Self, you really should give this one another try."

So I wore this one again today. It has a very strong floral / herbal opening that is a bit on the feminine side as I remembered. "I am not impressed. Nope! not for me." I thought as I headed out the door to work this morning.

Fast forward about 2 hours later and I start to get a spicy, dry, slightly powdery leather scent. Hmmm... that is better. Over the next few hours, Knize Ten starts to open up and become more complex on my skin. Dare I say it... but I am beginning to like this. The leather starts to shine with a bit of a barbershop vibe. OK, I like this...

After about 10 hours it is still going strong, much more of an old school vibe, a complex masculine leather at this point. Ok, I REALLY like this one!

This is a great scent, especially for an older guy like myself, but you will have to hang in there for a couple of hours to get past the floral phase IMO. Once you do.. it is heavenly.

word-doctor
word-doctor

I have been looking for a "real" leather--one that's less refined than Mr. Blass, for instance. And I've found it. I get leather and a tar note. Unlike some other folks I don't get florals with this, except for carnation, which to me is an outlier floral anyway. I don't find it especially powdery, either...

Overall, this was exactly what I was looking for in a leather. It's too emphatic for wearing in warm weather, but is a killer when it's under 60 Fahrenheit. My wife, who is older than I am, likes it on me a lot. It's distinguished and quite masculine.

Scent: 8
Sillage: 8
Longevity: 9

Yogamarc
Yogamarc

The leather is way back for me. It's not a scent I associate with leather, i.e. Leather seats, jackets gloves. I much prefer TL or the amazing Memo collection, both of which immediately say leather to me (Italian leather moreso). This just has a feminine, sweet, floral thing going on that I can't shake. If the dry down is different I'll be sure to add an edit.

gedlive
gedlive

It is a bit harsh in the opening but smooths out. 1920, wow, this is the oldest release date of any frag I have. It does smell very dated, and I wouldn't wear this regularly, but historically it's very interesting, a fine, super masculine fragrance, for when it came out.
I can just imagine our rugged World War II soldiers wearing this after coming home from combat.

The leather is surely one of the main players, but it blends into an accord. I see it as blending with aldehydes, anice, citrusy rosemary, bergamot, and carnation/ Geranium. Then it has some Ambery richness with woody notes in the base.
If it wasn't for the leather, it would be a decent fougere, with nice sour and green notes, male florals, but the leather makes it a very good and unique leathery fougere.

It is a lot fresher, lighter, than I thought it would be. A leathery aromatic fougere. It's like Rien, but more natural, less synthetic. Very nice, but I don't think I will be repurchasing.

One great recent leather discovery, that is in my top 5, is J-C Ellena's new fragrance for Hermes, " Bel Ami Vetiver", a delicious distinct fruity leather; check it out...

Update: When I gave myself some generous sprays, the fragrance came alive, like a different fragrance. I can clearly get the leather now and all its particular nuances, a bit sweet and fruity at times, I get the castor oil/ leather accord, which maybe gives it a slight petrol/ anamalic vib, (castoreum made from castor oil) reminding some of the frag. "Rien". Oh yeah, it's gotten complex, and outstanding ! I'm increasing my rating, allso considering it's classic reputation.
When applied liberally you see it is a leather dominant scent. In the opening the leather dominates with a petrol like note that isn't very pleasant. But it settles in 10 minutes, and that's when it becomes aromaticaly pleasant, and smooth, with some fruity/ nutty undertones. I get a hint of vanela sweetness, with the florals, and some very pleasant nutty herbal note, maybe the rosemary, hints of moss and cinnomon also. They all blend in together with the leather, to make the heart accord.

Rating: 8.5/10

Zeyad
Zeyad

Short comparison to Tuscan leather in my view...
Tuscan leather's leather smell's like old leather clothes. rich sour and smoky.
Knize Ten's leather smells like the new leather watch band or leather car seat.
They don't smell the same. you may like one and hate the another.

Bobharly
Bobharly

It is really the best masculin leather scent ever made. It's classy, herbal, sweet, dark and flowery with long staying power and an amazing dry down. It's my signature scent and so suitable for any situation and season, even in summer.

Darius A.
Darius A.

Best leather based perfume i've tried. My signature.

sm0lds
sm0lds

DSun:
Do you like the dry down? That matters more than how you get there. I get the comparison to 70s vintage English Leather, which I wish I could get more of. I'm a huge fan of leather scents. English Leather, Aramis, Bandit, Cabochard,cuir de russie, and Knize Ten are all delivery mechanisms for my drug of choice: leather.
At the moment I'm enjoying Knize Ten.
Regards.

DSun
DSun

The current Knize Ten dries down like the old English Leather from the 70's. Now, I don't know what to think about this. Should I be ecstatic? Outraged? Happy? Sad? What? I need time to sort this out.

AlmalkiJeme
AlmalkiJeme

اتمنى تجربته في اقرب وقت.. المراجعات اعطت انطباع انه عطر يستحق التجربه

ohjac
ohjac

This smells like one of my uncles in 1967. Leather? There's no leather here. Not hide, neither steer, horse, goat nor calf. No jacket, no gloves, boots, not even a car air freshener. Not a briefcase, not a razor strop. Certainly no baseball glove or motorcycle seat. This is perhaps an overpaid lawyer's office. A lawyer with two alimonies to pay as a result of nasty divorces. There is no warmth here, more the disconnected association with formalities and unpleasantries. This is a strange old memory of another world that I don't think many people recall with great clarity. Wear it to jury duty.

FruitDiet

Three years ago I said this smelled like mop water. I'm now the happy owner of a bottle and am living out my Marlene Dietrich/ Berlin Alexanderplatz/ Marcel Proust/ James Dean time warp fantasies. How things change.

ladykarl
ladykarl

Its just so damn good.
warm and fuzzy
and might be a little too masculine for me to wear on the regular, but we'll see
any which way- i enjoy it immensely
makes me dream of the hug of grandfather in a cozy sweater
with Tobacco pipe scent lingering in the wool
and its a forest outside, but the smell of trees is somehow inside-
there are ashes in the fireplace from
the blazing fire the night before
with the work boots set out to dry
and there are stories, so many stories to be told

gelo999
gelo999

Mythical !!! It is a floral leather sole and overwhelming personality.

It is a unique classic in the history of perfumes (remember it from the 20s) created by Fracois Coty and Vincent Roubert and today is still valid without losing a bit of glamor, despite the reformulations that have been made about her.

Knize ten is very well made and balanced, with a very good projection and duration.
Leather This agreement opens strong, and powerful, citrus entrance terpene, fleeting, spicy and with a very original raspberry fruit note and appreciate that tarred and touch that characterizes him and the eugenol spicy, floral touch it provides carnation, woodsy side, patchouli and sandalwood giving thickness and masculinity with a drydown that is my favorite part of amber and leather, are seen here more dense smoky and leathery very tarry, acetophenone, topping this agreement and make it rich, complex and fascinating.

This fragrance today still keeping current, elegant and classy.

Comment that is the fragrance that the designer used Manolo Blahnik and used the actor James Dean.

An icon in the fragrances that I also love leather.

Rating: 8.5

Erok32
Erok32

Very potent, pungent, has an almost ammonia-like hint to it. I immediately pick up leather. The smell is reminiscent of walking into a classic cobbler/shoemaker shop. This is leather along with the preservatives, including wax, shoe cream, and water repellant. Surprisingly, it's not harsh. It's UBER masculine and retro, but it's not outdated. I really like this.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I finally found a bottle of Knize...it's definitely has a oily/sexy leather aroma. Both sandalwood and amber adds to the warm. Both woodsy/herbal and musky notes all add to the overall aroma. Patucchli and oakmoss just top off this fragrance.
I agree with those who say that this juice is a deep masculine herbal/leathery aroma..a throw back from the early 70's.
Longevity and Silage is extreme..one spray is plenty..lasting over 10hrs.
Finally thoughts,
At first sniff I thought that this juice is very similar to Hermes vintage Bel Ami. The leather notes in Knize is more prominent whereas in Bel Ami the leather..very similar just a tad lighter in my opinion.
This juice is real OLD SCHOOL STUFF....love it, excellent for the late fall/winter months, the warmth of your skin makes this juice come alive. In two words LEATHER AND SEXY 10/10

globus pallidus
globus pallidus

Bottled nostalgia. Harsh herbs on pungent leather, slowly mellowing down into powdery amber with a slightly soapy feel. The carnation is amazing and reminiscent of Old Spice, only easier on the sweetness and cinnamon and much longer lasting (comparing modern formulations). Feels most appropriate wearing suit and tie.

Castor
Castor

Polarizing scent: it is a leather of the 1930's / 1940's kind. I have several of them and they share the same structure - much like the acquatics or the geranium / metal ones from the 1990's; Platinum Egöiste, Paco Rabanne XS, etc. Or the spicy / woody / musky / oakmossy ones from the 1970s / 1980's - Caron's Yatagan, R&G Open, GBH Red and many others I can't recall.

These leather scents open with an acrid gas-like top note later morphing into floral and powdery mid and base notes. The "leather" is iso-butil-quinelone, the one used in classics like Chanel's Cuir de Rusie, Lanvin´s Scandal and Yardley's Bond Street, being the difference between Knize 10 and these the presence of restricted floral notes; women's cuirs have marked floral notes and accords, in the masculine scents these notes are quite discreet.

They are not among my favorites, excpet for one in which the powdery base notes are really enjoyable - which is not Knize 10. I do wear them when in the mood after wet shaving with my Grandfather's shaving machine, a 1930's Gillete Aristocrat (which, BTW, it is quite aggresive so I have to handle it with care). Wearing a sleeveless undershirt, a tweed jacket, brogues and a flat cap would be appropriate. And an English style bike and a pipe would def. make it complete. I venture it is the rigth one when playing vintage the serious way.

For a modern day rendition of the same concept you might want to explore Dior Homme Parfum. Or, I venture from reviews, other modern day Cuirs, like Luten's Cuir Mauresque or Odori's Cuoio.

Normpaps
Normpaps

Trying this one for the first time today
Very intruiging at first sniff it was no way...let it settle
than it is so lovely i have my nose stuck to my wrist !!

Lespinard
Lespinard

This it it !!!!!! - if you find it : Buy it .

Pare159
Pare159

This is 80s powerhouse with a modern edge. Beast, a more masculine take than TL. For the classy man in his later 30's.

juji
juji

I'm just dying to sample this some day. The notes are all over that I love.

Bunino

Best leather of all time.

ankali
ankali

This is a less powdery version of Tabac Blond to me, and I quite like it. Not so masculine that it can't be very nice on a lady who enjoys leather scents, or at least on this lady.

Bbjr
Bbjr

here we go again, from hate it to love it. First time I smelled this it was a no go from the start. Never touched it since and that was probably 2 years ago. Just got it as one of the samples in a package and thought, " oh no, I can't stand this stuff.". But hey, let's try it again. "wait a minute, what is this? This doesn't smell anything like what I remember"! This time, after letting it sit for a while, it's really a great leather scent. Not at all overpowering but still powerful. Totally masculine. Oh well, time to buy the full bottle. Does our sense of smell really change that much? My nose costs me more damn money these days.......

sam ldh

This is the big-poppa! Of all Leather based classics, a true-masterpiece-perfume, indeed .
Alongwith Yatagan, Aramis & MEM's(not Dana) English Leather, this is the best leather-forward perfume ever created.
Simply that, and nothing more, or less .
The animalic undertone is really class apart, and the gentlemanly attributes too, are amazingly well blended into this scent, thus, making it restrained &reserved but, greasily-animalic - sexy, too!

Highly reccommend for leather-forward scent lovers and also admirers of classics alike!

Happy-Sniffing

Sam

iwhiffwaft
iwhiffwaft

The first time I smelled this I knew I had to have it. It reminded me of when I bought a brand new pair of leather sports shoes. That smell of brand new leather shoes that goes away all too fast when you buy your shoes. That's this smell. Surely, that smell was around before modern leather footwear, so it wasn't derived from that. I'm sure other leather smells like that, but for me, the scent memory is of my new leather tennis shoes. I can't believe there is a mens fragrance that smells like that, but this is it. It's an awesome scent. One of my all time favorites. It just smells like class. This is like the Ferrari or Lamborgini of scents. There's not anything that smells like it also. If you want this scent, you have to buy the Knize 10.

Little Prince
Little Prince

The fact that this fragrance was made in the 1920s makes any ambitious perfumer abandon hope. Made by legends, Coty and Roubert, Knize ten is a fragrance of a bygone era but upon first sniff you get the feeling that it was made…tomorrow. It mainly is a leather amber with smoky phenolic facets and tar, a superimposed fruit gum top note, a woody castoreum animalism and a powdery, soapy, musky dry-down. The opening is bold and imposing but the fragrance softens in the dry down getting a more velvety feel. Many more can be written, it is extremely innovative, flawlessly crafted, highly distinctive but the most important thing is that it smells great and new (some classics have an overwhelming “out-of-the-past” feeling). The insane fact that it sells for such a modest price puts to shame most niche brands. A piece of art.

sam ldh

If Tuscan Leather is a BMW, Knize Ten is a Rolls Royce!

This is like Leather-lovers' paradise. This scent has transportation powers as it beautifully evokes the golden classical era in which it was composed (not manufactured),the black & white era. Friends I said this perfume was composed, like a song, a sculpture, a painting not manufactured like modern perfumes which are soulless scents driven by Corporate Greed, merely a means to an end, PROFITS ....

Out of my ninety or so cherished collection, I have never had to wait so helplessly as with Knize and Yatagan another scent which isn't heard of much, in India. However, my friend is here from Canada and he might be locating and shipping me these gems!
Fingers crossed!!

Good luck,
Happy Sniffing!

Sam Singer

If you have decants use sparingly, unlike me!

fragracefreak101
fragracefreak101

Is there anywhere where I can try this?
I'm really intrigued by the notes!

scotrob
scotrob

In my eternal quest for the ultimate leather fragrance I have now managed to source some Knize Ten, which so many claim to be one of the most authentic leathers out there.

After applying, the opening notes for me are VERY leathery (and a nice, bitter leather unlike the sweet lether of, say, Tuscan Leather) topped with powerful petroleum and shoe-polish notes...so far, so good and JUST what I have been looking for....it really conjured up images of well-polished black leather shoes or a biker jacket worn by a greaser mechanic... However, we all know how different scents can be experienced in very different ways by other people. In this case my partner, who also loves leathery fragrances, found Knize Ten to be very powdery and with a persistent violet note (which I admit I also detect)...he works in a care home for the elderly and to him this was very reminiscent of old ladies' violet-scented talcum powder.....which isn't perhaps what a man really wants to smell of (or a lady for that matter)

The sillage on this is really quite strong, and once smelt, it is hard to "unsmell" (the day after I tried it I was walking across the forecourt of a petrol/gas station and all I could smell was Knize, the illusion conjured up by the faint aroma of real petrol and diesel). Longevity is also excellent, with 12 hours+ easily possible on me.

On balance, I like this a lot and if you are a fan of petrol/leather scents like Dior Fahrenheit or even Axe Peace then do try this as it seems to have similar accords.

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

Exquisite leather and powder. This speaks of a sophistication and charm from the era in which it was formulated. I imagine Tom Buchanan wearing this as he bitch-slaps Jay Gatsby for his 'presumptuous little flirtation' with Daisy. Manly stuff. Knize Ten out of 10.

Bunino

Greatest leather of all-time.

Dakkuwan
Dakkuwan

I really wanted to like this fragrance. I love leathers and I find that I really enjoy the isoquinoline leather. However for me there are a number of issues I have with this fragrance. My skin is incredibly dry so it tends to deconstruct fragrances in unflattering ways, Knize Ten is a great example of this - head notes get muddled, disappear in minutes and heart notes get split temporally. Also, I have discovered that the scent for carnation that this fragrance, and a number of other classics (Grey Flannel - Geoffrey Beane), use is the primary component in ubiquitous commercial bathroom cleaners. There are subsequently a number of fragrances ruined for me by this fact. Heartbreaking.

big70tom
big70tom

I love this. I wear it most days tom work, although i dont think i will when Summer begins. I dont know how it will play in 100 degree weather. Lasts all day, beautiful leathery smell.

ian85
ian85

Wonderful fragrance. Years are passing and this one is happily always there ...
Before trying it, I thought it would be a brutal leather issued from an old garage with hot rod cars and beautiful hot mechanics around!
Not at all! After a strong and powerfull opening, I smell leather of course, but spices and flowers too... Masterpiece, 10 /10

Je porte Knize Ten en ce moment, et je le trouve formidable.
Un parfum à l’ancienne, très qualitatif, avec de la tenue.
Là où il me sidère, c’est que je m’attendais à un cuir brutal, presque issu de l’atelier d’un garage, flaques d’huile au sol et Hot Rod capot ouvert, avec de décapants mécaniciens à l’ouvrage, le bleu ouvert sur le torse (oui, bon !)...
Or rien de cela. Une fois l’ouverture passée, solide, puissante, je sens un fleuri épicé. Et c’est somptueux. Rien de plus à ajouter.
Ah si, monumental chef d’œuvre.

smora
smora

Unlike Knize tailor shop Knize perfumery is still firmly going on. This is perfume of middle European well mannered gentlemen. Nothing explosive is here, every note is well polished. Leather with some oily aspect dominates from the opening. Warm amber, sandalwood and flowers and other notes are melted really nice.
One of the last old school scents playing double game. In one moment leather has some sweet fruity undertones, in next it reminds me of oily mechanic's garage. Every modern perfume owes something to this legend. Maybe the famous gasoline note of Fahrenheit was inspired by Knize. Antaeus definitely has a role model in Knize Ten.
Moustaches, coffee, Sacher cake and Knize. A perfect Mittel European sunny weekend in old, imperial Vienna.

Scentrack: Anton Karas - A Third Man Theme

Rating: Viennese refined *****

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Smells like a pink leather motorcycle jacket!

I love it.

cytherian
cytherian

I kept holding off on buying this. I had sampled it and enjoyed the smoky, mossy, resinous and semi-sweet saddle-soap leather aroma (castoreum is there but nicely tamed). But I knew I could always buy it. Not only is there Knize Ten Original, but also Gold Edition, Sec, Forest, and Two in sizes ranging from 50ml to 225ml.

Gold Edition is delicious. It's softer than Ten. A nice flanker. But for me, Ten is king in the realm of Knize. Btw, Forest is quite good (like a flanker to Green Irish Tweed), but Sec (too astringent and dusty) and Two are a bit disappointing.

If you're a man and enjoy leather fragrances, you should make a point of having some Knize Ten in your collection. Seriously.

If this fragrance is a bit too strong for you, then go with Etro Gomma. It's close enough to make you think you've got Knize Ten, but it has an interesting reduction of notes that creates a slightly different feeling, a more wearable one. I'm glad I own both.

Fragrance: 9.5, Longevity: 8, Value: 8.5

Shibor
Shibor

A classy leather fragrance! First “rage” citrus, orris, geranium notes. Carnation is only slightly perceivable. But they quickly settle down. Then come lethery-resinious notes and some cinnamon, carnation intensifies a little. This makes the scent spicy and at the same time comfortable.
One can find it old-fashioned, the other timeless.

In any case, it’s a notable and complex classic!

Casavulva
Casavulva

A true marvel.
I know reviewers who describe KT as an oily greasy in-your-face leather. But to me KT is really a massive Chypre (oakmoss/labdanum) with a sweetish note on top that reminds me of a strawberry tart.

The base is strong, deep and radiant, and is not so far away from the new Mitsouko (2013), believe it or not. But the mid and top are different from that one.

Leather is a side note, not at all pronounced as in Bel Ami or the also great 1740. I am sure there are lots of other notes in here as well, but cannot really separate them from one another.

Best for winter time.

Truly wonderful, classic, original, well blended, pleasing and incredibly long lasting (one spray will last you 3 days).

And girls, stay away. This is ours.

Sniffy MacNeil
Sniffy MacNeil

Nothing to see here folks. Please move along. Nothing at all. No sir-ee.

*tuneless whistling*

Bunino

Inside of a very old leather interior filled car with a sweet hint of something. It's pretty good. Definitely nostalgia inducing but nothing I would wear regularly, I believe. Unique for sure.

Smells like someone that's been working on a car while wearing a nondescript cologne.

Blue collar elegance?

chweintr
chweintr

The first time I smelled this it put me immediately on edge; I felt a little sick, a little nervous... kind of exposed.

I thought "What the...?" Where is this taking me?

I shut my eyes to try to figure it out - and then ...- Bam!- I was in the doctor's office as a kid - that crinkly butcher paper stuff rustling on the old leather exam table beneath me...I was spacing- looking out of the room toward the freshly carpeted waiting area, breathing deeply, taking it all in. And then a nurse appeared, smacking gum and wielding one of those awful nail-file-looking tongue depressors in her rubber-gloved hands, aiming, it seemed, to dig out my soul though my throat.

So that was it - the notes:

tongue depressor + sugarless trident gum + rubber gloves + waxy exam table paper + leather exam table itself + Nurse + trepidation = Knize 10

Really, I am not sure where that doctor's/ orthodontist's office smell comes from here. There is something indolic, but there is no jasmine... weird.

Whatever.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant of current formulation. Knize Ten shares some similarities with Bandit with that aldehyde+leather combo but without the civet note found in Bandit. Moderate projection and good longevity on my skin.

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

I just received this this morning and was immediately struck how similar to Bal a Versailles this is ( I had and sold the new formulation which I bought unwittingly pretty quickly). I'm trying to love it like everyone seems to but I can't get the old lady lipstick makeup bag association out of my olfactory brain. In what world is this a guys scent?? Only the dry down is gentle otherwise it's a fierce handbags at dawn scent.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Quintessential leather fragrance with a Mitteleuropean twist, with both medicinal and soapy nuances and an overall gloomy and severe mood. Massively dusty as well. A hyeratic, noble and proud fougère on a stone-dry tobacco and leather base. Elegant and refined, with just a hint of a nasty and animalic heart – Histoires de Parfums made a "Sade" scent, but to me, Knize is actually much more "sadian": the blend of austerity and animality gives that exact feel to me. Deep and just gorgeous.

Rerik
Rerik

There are lots of people who hate this perfume. And lots of people who like it.
I am the one who like it.
Patou pour homme, Rochas Macassar, Rochas Monsieur, Lancome Balafre, Dior Jules, Gucci Pour Homme, Gucci Nobile, Hermes Equipage, Balmain Ebene, and so on.
All of them are great.
But this is maybe the best perfume which was ever created. Leather and soap.

Edit:

Knize is one of the most complex scents I know. It´s absolutely justified that Knize was one of the first perfume made for men and still stay with us.

Knize opens with leather and flowers, slightly sweetish. Some untrained noses may react negative. But I get a bitumen like base.

After about 3 hours on warm skin Knize changes to a beautiful amber, castoreum combination. Very warm. Sensual.

Knize lasts like its age. For hours and hours and hours. I get over 12 hours and thats crazy, because most perfumes last only a few hours, even expensive ones.

My review is based on a spray bottle from the time before the Millenium.

jreily88

I know I maybe the only person who has ever said this, but when I sampled this, I got absolutely no leather whatsoever from this. All I got was lavender/lemon combo.

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

True. this is a great fragance of leather; if you think that it´s a fragance from the 40's then it becomes on a masterpiece.
Knize Ten is to XX century as Tuscan leather to the XXI.

Jay T
Jay T

J'étais très excité de mettre cela sur, mais je pense qu'il est très décevant. Elle a littéralement disparu en quelques minutes pour moi. Gaspillage d'argent.

drakecito
drakecito

This is easy and at the same time, a penalty for my ...
I am very sorry to have to say since I have tried several times and was a perfume that I liked wanted, but .... Simplement, to me, this does not smell good.

If you want to smell like oily leather, nothing more, this is for you.
Definitely not for me and I'm so sorry.

Longevity and sillage are average too.

scent: 3/10
longevity: 5/10
sillage: 4/10

Kain
Kain

I really love these classic leather based fragrances.
Some of them like "Dior Fahrenheit" or "Guerlain Derby" or "HdP 1740" are the ones that I would die for.
This one has the same DNA but with some differences. floral, musky and dirty leather is something that you're gonna get out of this.
The opening is just heaven for classic lovers.
I can smell some fresh citruses with a little amount of green notes and lots of spices. there is earthy patchouli there and I can smell carnation note that give the scent a light powdery floral feeling.
Now throw the dirty and musky leather note in .... you have the opening.
In the mid citruses, patchouli and spices settled down and now I can smell a little more floral note.
I was hoping for stronger leather note in the mid but unfortunately I didn't get that :(
In the base sadly the leather note disappeared completely and leaved me with semi sweet floral note and some spices in the background.
There is always some sweetness in every step of this fragrance to balance the notes but it's not overpowering at all.
All and all, a great classic fragrance.
If I could get stronger leather note, that would be amazing but sadly the leather note is not prominent in this fragrance.
You can smell it for sure but it's not the leader. he is just following other notes specially the floral note side by side.
I want dirty and smoky leather note in front but that's only my personal taste and opinion.
Projection is really good and longevity is around 8-9 hours on my skin.

اگه عطرهای کلاسیک بر پایه رایحه چرمُ دوست دارین این عطر به شما پیشنهاد میشه
دیور فارنهایت و یا گرلن دربی عطرهایی هستن که میتونم به عنوان مشابه این عطر معرفی کنم
رایحه کثیف، تلخ و دودی چرم ترکیب با مُشک به همراه رایحه مشخص گلها
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر کاملا حس کلاسیکی داره
کمی رایحه مرکباتی و شاداب و در کنار اون رایحه ملایم و نیمه شیرین کهربا و مقدار نسبتا قوی و کاملا مشخصی از ادویه جاتُ میشه حس کرد
رایحه نعنای هندی به وضوح حس میشه و یه حس تند و تیز و کمی خاکی به عطر میده
رایحه گل میخک بعنوان یکی از اصلی ترین رایحه های عطر هم به مشام میرسه و بوی تقریبا پودری و گلی به عطر میده
حالا رایحه تلخ و دودی و کثیف چرم رو همراه با مشک به اینا اضافه کنین .... میشه رایحه ابتدایی
به مرور زمان رایحه مرکبات و ادویه ها و نعنای هندی تا حد زیادی ضعیف میشن و رایحه گل میخک کمی قدرتمند تر شروع به خودنمایی میکنه
شخصا توقع داشتم تو این مرحله رایحه چرم هم قویتر بشه اما متاسفانه این آرزو برآورده نشد و چرم با همون قدرت ابتدایی در کنار بقیه رایحه ها حس میشد
تو رایحه پایه چرم کاملا از بین رفت و فقط رایحه نیمه شیرین گل میخک و کمی رایحه های ادویه ای باقی مونده که یه مقدار حال منو گرفت
شخصا دوست دارم بوی تلخ چرم رایحه غالب باشه تو اینجور عطرها اما این عطر رایحه غالب اش بیشتر گل میخک هست و چرم با قدرت متوسط و البته کاملا مشخص شونه به شونه گل میخک حس میشه
پخش بوش خوبه و ماندگاری بین 8 تا 9 ساعت روی پوست داره
یه چیز خیلی جالب برام تو این عطر بویی شبیه به آرد نخودچی تو رایحه میانی بود
گل میخک با کمی حس پودری و ترکیب با بقیه رایحه ها بوی خاصی شبیه به آرد نخودچی ایجاد کرده بودن که من خیلی برام جالب بود و باعث شد یه جورایی خندم بگیره
نه اینکه بد باشه اما اولین بار بود همچین بویی تو یه عطر حس میکردم و برام خیلی عجیب بود
در مجموع عطر کلاسیک بسیار خوبیه اما بهتر از این هم وجود داره

TeaforTwo
TeaforTwo

Hmmm, all I'm getting from this is a very nice vanilla leather, with some nice flowers. I was looking forward to testing, what with the long history of this fragrance, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just a bit, well, vanilla.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

My search for the perfect leather fragrance continues with a wearing of the very well-regarded Knize Ten. I like how it says "Toilet Water" on the label.

I'm not sure I like it. I certainly don't understand it! The reviewers who don't like it claim this has a public washroom and oily leather jacket vibe, and I get that. That is to say that there's some institutional cleaner notes in here which suggest a public washroom. There is a mildly skanky note to this stuff that's throwing the whole fragrance off for me.

OR, conversely, it can also smell vintagey, old school and and elegant.

This was reportedly worn by James Dean and David Niven - which captures the dichotomy of this fragrance nicely.

It doesn't pass my Mmmmm test. (That is, after a while putting my nose to where I sprayed it and going Mmmmm.) So I won't be buying a bottle.

-----------

Well, on a visit to the Scent Bar in Los Angeles I did buy a small bottle. But with it on my hand and repeatedly sniffing, I realized that I couldn't live with this stuff and returned it for a Shay and Blue leather scent. So my experimentation with this famous scent is over. No. Done. I don't like it at all.

sussex2

I bought Knize Ten early in the summer and wore it a few times. I recently wore it for the first time since the cooler weather began.

At first there is a loud blast of floral leather. The first hour or two can almost feel overpowering. It is a very dry leather, almost harsh but there is something sweet that makes it beautiful.

I sprayed myself early in the morning then went about my business. At some point later in the morning I caught myself thinking: this is the best fragrance I have smelled. Then I remembered I had thought the same after wearing KT for the second time during the summer. The first time I wore it almost put me off for life – it can take a wearing or two to “get it” (that's not to say it will be to everyone's taste of course).

In cooler weather KT will last the whole day long. It also develops and goes through various phases. At some point the initial brightness calms down a little and something becomes apparent that is dense, almost greasy; in a very good way. I get a similar effect in the dry down of L'Air du Dessert M. I'm wondering if it is ambergris, whether real or synthetic.

I am unlikely to find a fragrance I love more than this so the only real issue for me is the volume. Over time I have become more and more conscious of over-projecting – although it hasn't stopped me from buying, for example, Carnal Flower. I get the feeling that after one squirt of KT I'm radiating enough to fill a modestly sized concert hall with this wonderful scent. Not a bad thing in theory but of course some other concert goers might be impertinent enough to wear their own scents thereby ruining the effect. The result would most likely be some unsavoury blend that would, at some point, float onto the stage sending panic signals around the orchestra. If a highly strung diva in full flight were to catch the scent the results could be catastrophic.

The solution, for me at least, is to pick the right time to apply. That is to say not five minutes before taking my seat at a sold out Royal Opera House performance. It would be better left for a lazy weekend with several hours of lounging before going out and mingling with the general public.

I`m a big fan of leather, smokey and bold based frags. I sampled this from Luckyscent. I was kinda expectant to try it for the first time today. Leathery, bold and masculin for sure and I liked it, But there was something else that made me feel sad and it attacked my nose at once. Really dont know if it was that pungent animalistic note in it that made me feel so!! And of curse it does remind me of some old Indien shoe-polish..:)Maybe I gotta give it another shot in the future.

jreily88

I don't know if I either got a bad sample or the wrong juice from luckyscent, but I cannot detect ANY leather in this. This smells like dryer sheets throughout the entire lifespan of the fragrance. Very feminine and very powdery.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

GREASE MONKEY BY DAY, PLAYBOY BY NIGHT

Pretty much sums it up.
It's actually not as challenging as I anticipated. A bit surprised at the moderate longevity and moderate projection.
(which may be a good thing)

A tad powdery in the final dry down.
Having said that, a truly down and dirty yet elegant fragrance.

Note: Knize 10 golden, which I tested on my other arm, is stronger all around.
This, is softer.
(I've read some have the opposite reaction - perhaps batches are not uniform)

Also, I recently tested Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella - did not test them side by side, which I must do - but quite a lot of similarity.

Henriette
Henriette

I am a true fan of leather based perfumes, from Bandit to Azurée, from Jolie Madame to Cabochard, to Miss Balmain, to others in the same vein. So what's the point in adding Knize Ten to the collection? The point is that Knize Ten has a personality of his own, I would say he's Bandit's darling husband, yeah, what a couple!
KT and Bandit stand out for being much stronger than the others in terms of personality. Some notes scattered here and here in both perfumes is what makes them totally different.
Knize Ten has a light opening, there's such a light that the darkness which follows is totally unexpected. A pleasant surprise. Shadows start with rubber, smoke and end with tar where the darkness meets the end.
I love scents which are are never taken for granted, those whose path surprises you at every step.
A masterpiece, if you love this kind of scents this is obviously number one even if the name is Knize Ten!

LanceDior
LanceDior

If its good enough for James Dean, it's good enough for me.

Veteverian
Veteverian

To me, Knize Ten is not a perfume. It is a tasteful accessory. It falls in the same category of unusual, but exquisite items like the JLC Reverso, Montblanc 149, or a John Lobb William.

Knize Ten is a fundamentally classic fragrance. Unchanged since the 1920′s, it had inspired a whole genre of leather fragrances, which then themselves became classics. Etro’s Goma, and Serge Lutens’ Cuir Mauresque come to mind. Ninety years later, Knize Ten, being as modern as a 90 year old, retains a large following.

The reason behind its success is an understated elegance. After all, this fragrance was created by one of the finest suit makers of the day, in a historic period when all men wore hats, jeans were reserved for yard work, and sneakers could not be conceived off.

As far as the scent is concerned, it is a violent leather with oil, gasoline, spices and amber. Terribly difficult to wear, temperamental, enormous, willful, and overpowering, it has that rare attribute of a masterpiece: it comes alive on the skin.

This leathery beast gets a 10/10.

Veteverian.wordpress.com

kit1982
kit1982

I got this from Luckyscent via amazon. The initial blast is citrus and woody. Then after few minutes you will get dried fruits and woods. Need not to be wait long because you will reach drydown in less than an hour. The drydown is the best, not a sillage monster but a refined "body heat dependent" sillage. Smells like a man that possesses good qualities, a gentleman.

I love leathers and my favorites are;
(1) Knize Ten = the ultimate leather scent, "Perfect Ten Leather Scent"
(2) Cuir de Russie (Chanel) = floral leather
(3) Cuir Mauresque = spicy and sweet leather
(4) Azuree = citrus leather with mild oriental notes
(5) Bvlgari Black = rubber leather

:-)

NHIndian24
NHIndian24

Okay, so when people say this smells powdery, do they mean like a Chanel No. 5 powdery, or like the original Polo's dryness, rather than powdery. I want to try this, but a powdery scent is not something I will waste money on, as it will immediately induce a headache.

sussex2

The first time I tried Knize Ten was at one of Les Senteurs' shops in London. I had tested a couple of other fragrances that day including Kurkdjian's Oud Silk Mood and something else that was quite powerful. I felt that Knize Ten might be a special one but as I believed my dulled nose might not have received the full treatment I decided to order the small 12.5ml bottle to try it again.

Having received the tiny bottle today I applied some and got right down to some good sniffing. Its one of the very few fragrances that has caused me to pause and give thanks for such a wonderful creation. Not that I'm a religious man. But now I'm thinking just maybe there is a God up there.

To me Knize Ten is a smoky, floral, dry leather. I can't smell anything animalic. Its a warm and spicy scent with a dose of amber in the base. And its about as good as a male fragrance can be.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

Number two in my personal top of the pops, just after 'Timbuktu '.
A superb classy leather with a delicious hay/straw and farmyard note that reminds me of an accord often found in top -of -the -range Italian wine...Which I guess is not too helpful as a description..
The perfect olfactory extension to the short back and sides men's haircut du jour.

jtd
jtd

As a homo, I don't really go in for the classic masculine thing. It’s just not queer enough. I’m more of a ‘cafeteria’ male. Whether I measure up or not, I’ll take what I like from masculinity and leave the rest. Femininity as well, for that matter. Gentlemanly, yes. Boorish, no. Sports, no, but also Broadway musicals, no. It gets confusing, yes?

But Knize Ten is pretty and strapping in equal measure. If this is what it is to be a man, sign me up.

I’ve finally found a socially acknowledged manly fragrance that I’ll buy into without reservation. (Well, current masculinity is bound to look a bit like dandy-drag on me, but at least it's not such bad theater as the whole-hog Ralph Lauren anglo-psychodrama.)

from scenthurdle

antfarm
antfarm

Knize Ten has been on my "to test" list for quite some time. I am pleased I finally decided to sample it.

On my skin it is incredibly similar to Bandit EDP but sexier, smoother, and better composed. It is a straightforward motorcycle leather with very little background noise.

Simple, effortlessly cool, and unintentionally rebellious. An accidental outlaw of a fragrance. Knize Ten doesn't cause unnecessary trouble. He's just...bad.

fazli ikram

this my second comment, i compared both the 50 ml and 225 ml bottle , the 50ml basically is what all the fragrantica fellows already explained...but the 225 ml is better IMHO..the leather is stronger with the flowery,woody,ambery and minty aspect peaking..i would recommend that those who like knize 10 should try the 225 ml bottles..

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

The first time I wore Knize Ten I understood why it is still in production after almost ninety year of its launch. Its because it's the best masculine scent out there, a very rich and opulent leather based composition.
The opening is a blast of leather and tobacco. Then the tobacco softens leaving a classic ambery leather accord, you can still smell the tobacco, but it stays more on the back ground giving a smoky ambiance. In the next fase I get Cuir Mauresque, an oily, animalc, almody leather but instead of the dried orange you have spices (clove?) rose and jasmine. It has also a powdery quality that is lovely. As it dries down it gets softer, and amber starts to dominate the fragrance along with the leather. Just perfect. Longevity and projection is excellent, price tag is incredible and its easy to find. So what are you waiting for to get your bottle?
This is a must have in any leather lover.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Ofcourse this is a masterpiece without a doubt.
This is again why im such an addict into finding gems throughout the perfume industry and this is why have this hobby.
What i love about the Bvlgari Black (rubber n vannila)
Is found back in Knize Tens Gasoline,sigaret smoke ashes,rosemary,lime and roses

Its contrasting and bold i see a road movie : A biker or a trucker on the road wearing a leather jacket for years.

Imagine a truly worn smoked out, smeared with gasoline and oil jacket worn by a woman for a few days.

Its daring,robust,confronting but at the same time so GOOD!
Im out of words and i feel bad describing this one...
This is vintage scent Art.

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

It smells like chocolate.

Well, maybe not like chocolate-chocolate as sweet candy flavor, but it reminds me often of essence of chocolate. Like chocolate it has so many confronting nuances and yet they all come together in very round and full way.

Toilet water is so strong that in every day life I often wear just deodorant version of Knize ten and it's enough for whole day.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Imagine a truckstop washroom that has been cleaned a few hours ago. As you sniff the air you can smell the oil from the fumes of the trucks just outside mixing in with the florals from the cleaning.

A few bikers come in wearing their leather jackets which they take off to wash their oily hands. The smell of the truckstop washroom is now one of oily leather and powdery soapy florals from the soap and the cleaning a few hours earlier.

A few hours later the manager of the truckstop wearing a suit pops into the washroom to freshen up and his cologne of amber and sandalwood is quite strong and is mixing in with the leathery oily soapy floral of the washroom. This is Knize ten for me.

I can see why this is a love it or hate it scent. The opening florals mixed in with the oily leather do give it that truckstop washroom vibe. But at the sametime the worn in leather can be quite compelling as well as the complex drydown.

This scent is complex and chaotic with notes that you can love and hate at the same time. It's worth trying just for the experience and to see if you love it or hate it. Or both.

Fizzy
Fizzy

Even if high quality fragrance (centuries long last, big silage, interesting and rich development) for my it is a soapy nightmare for guys like Huge Hefner or Jack Nicolson.

Mr.noise
Mr.noise

5/5 great...

matsilversurfer
matsilversurfer

I am not an expert, only a (new) lover of the perfume's world. But this is a really great fragrance, very masculine and refined. it's not easy become familiar with its strong leather/rubber taste, the first impact is so apparently rude. but the dry down is a smooth delight

judyk
judyk

I thought I'd do a Marlene and give Knize Ten a whirl (to be honest, I wasn't aware of the association until I read it here today).

A definite petrol vibe on first application, not unpleasant but certainly unusual. On my skin it quickly morphed into a soft sweet floral with the sharp leather of a brand new briefcase. At this point it reminded me of a watered-down Bandit - nice but not remarkable.

It stayed like that pretty steadily, until somewhere around the two hour mark, when I suddenly became aware of a concentrated cognac note and some pretty potent carnation. Mmmm, heading into the realms of remarkable now.

The drydown was a dry, spicy amber with just a hint of booze and leather. All in all, very nice indeed.

fazli ikram

all the other comment have explained basically what i intent to say..i love it...got to get a bigger bottle..

jgirgar
jgirgar

Pull the nozzle on this and it's true, you do get a bit of gasoline. Definitely masculine and butch. Interestingly, I detect almond extract or that liquid candy in the wax sticks I would get when I was a kid. It's made in Germany and perhaps there's a trace to the famed Kirschwasser from black morello cherries. There's depth and substance here and can only imagine how Rudolph Valentino smelled while driving his 1920's Duesenberg or Falcon Lair smelled from his trail. This is manly golden era Hollywood. Very Nice and Very Elegant! JG 082112

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

This is like the pink disks that men use for target practice in porcelain wall-mounted plumbing mechanisms. What once was considered natty is now considerably nasty.

LANIER
LANIER

“Falling in love again…never wanted to….what am I to do? I can’t help it.” The indelible glamour of Marlene Dietrich is legendary. Her style unique and daring in the early 1930’s was groundbreaking. In a smoky nightclub she sang and flirted with Gary Cooper and kissed a female extra wearing a man’s tuxedo in “Morocco”. Marlene in that tux had more magnetism and sensuality than she would ever have if she had been singing in a Travis Banton gown. Off the screen she picked up on Chanel’s appropriation of men’s clothing and took it to a new level with slacks, loafers and men’s shirts. And what scent did this sexy gender bending star sport? Knize 10 for Men.

Launched in 1920 Knize 10 is considered one of, if not the top of the line in the Leather groups for Perfume. I personally love it though I do favor Chanel’s Cuir de Russie just above it in subtly of opening notes. (Both were launched in 1924) I find Knize 10 also to be reminiscent of the wonderful Versace L’homme another great leather scent.

The top notes of orange lemon petit grain bergamot blast out of the bottle on first spray and sock you in the face. It is almost a motor oil-gas smell you get when you kick start a motorcycle. This in your face and not unpleasant assault dissipates very quickly to reveal the up front rich leather that is the dominating note all the way to the end of the life of this fragrance. The patchouli and musk do there part to support this very masculine and sensual leather. It is like wearing a well broken in leather motorcycle jacket with out a shirt in the summer on a Harley racing down highway 1 from Big Sur to Cambria. The wind in your face and the blending of the smell of the tar up from the asphalt and the leather and sweat out from the jacket, it is Man Smell heaven. There are some flowers whipping past in the heat of the ride, rose, iris and a smidgen of carnation. But they are very light in their passing. The woods along the road come to play on an occasional curve you are hit with the summery warmth of cedar and sandalwood, luscious and intoxicating as they blend in with that musky leather. In the dry down the amber notes and oak moss do there best to keep up with the leather and it all dies out in a lovely last breath at about 8 hours after the journey began.

This old school classic is anything but old. It is vibrant and modern in the most wonderful and unique way. And it is a pro at projecting with fine silage that garners some attention. Mature is the order of the day with Knize 10, it is not for little boys to pay with matches like these. They could start a fire that is too hot to handle. "If their wings get burned I know I'm not to blame."

I read somewhere just recently that James Dean fancied Knize 10 as well as Marlene. If a Hollywood Rebel and The Scarlett Empress worked this sexy juice to their advantage then that tells you just how special it is.

Five gold stars *****

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I'm really floored by this fragrance's quality. There really aren't many corners cut here. It's sharp, it's plush, it's smooth, it's sparse, it's complex, and it's gorgeous throughout ots development. It opens with a sharply herbal and smokey leather, which lasts a short while. As the heart unfolds, you're treated to the main character of the fragrance. It's certainly distinctive, though extremely familiar at the same time. Many facets of the leather combine with the spicy floral heart in a way that is quite distinct in a fragrance. Cool iris creeps into the picture and begins to dominate the fragrance. These basenotes are very similar to Chanel's Cuir de Russie. Smooth leather that feels very comfortable and lived in. The fragrance lasts a ridiculously long time on my skin - easily 3 times as long as Cuir de Russie, and that's with only 2 sprays of Ten! An excellent fragrance appropriate for any time of the year. A new favorite of mine.

rienzope
rienzope

I have a vintage bottle of eau de cologne with a green cap. It's very rich and complex and miles ahead of any leather I've ever used.

julyjunenior
julyjunenior

Knize Ten is intensely complex and magnificent..! Same with Grottola! Keep it up…with the huge thing!

getcarter
getcarter

Well well well - when I first tried this it was all aldehyde and gave me a splitting headache. But I always persevere and am so glad I did. This is KLASSICHE mit a kapital K!! The burst of citrus opening reminds me of Acqua Di Parma Colonia and the aldehydes evoke an older Guerlain fragrance (these are compliments!). On me the leather is evident but not overpowering. It definitely has a personality all its own - it is retro but not in a self-concious sort of way - it's just good taste! I don't discern any "skankiness" to it - though, on occassion, I have added a little of my own by layering Brent Leonisio's Untitled #8. Knize 10 is great for meetings too - distinct, a little aloof (because it's not a coolwater/eternity-alike number and keeps them guessing) but charming. I have had many compliments. I love its complexity as it unfurls over the course of the day. A definite keeper.

FruitDiet

Tepid mop water identical to English Leather (not a good thing). Does not in any way deliver on the promise of its fantastical reputation, or even make the wearer smell good. Grottola is absolutely correct in the "public restroom" description.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I bought this for my husband - but really I want to wear it! It's a fantatsic ambery leather that smells old-fashioned in the best possible way. It smells incredibly expensive and rich without being too refined - that smokey edge makes it a bit dangerous and slightly decadent. Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes would wear this - or maybe it's better on Adele Adler. Fabulous!

123andrea
123andrea

Normalmente non sono per le fragranze floreali, soprattutto quelle maschili.
Devo dire d'aver cambiato opinione dopo aver sentito Ten, tantochè me lo sono comprato:
PROFUMO DI ALTO LIVELLO!

williamvargas
williamvargas

it is a great fragrance...imagine a brand new tire, that lovely rubber type of smell and then a fragrant cologne scent added on almost reminds me of a brand new michelin tire that is wearing english leather cologne..lol... very unique, have never smelled a fragrance like it. but it is manly, a leather jacket would be approriate for this one. not sure i would wear this one very often , but it is a special fragrance that i would want to have it in my collection.very nice fragrance, i can see why the accolades over the years..of the highest quality...recommended to sniff..

id
id

Perfect leather scent, neither sharp, nor heavy. Subtle, well balanced, a bit oily. Best for winter or rainy days when the fragrance shows off all its beauty. Definitely with a character as every perfume should be but in nowadays usually is not. Rating 10/10 without a doubt. Highly recommended at least for testing.

Grottola

Knize Ten is definitely the king of dirty, oily, restroom leathers. I wouldn't call it animalic (although there's definitely some resinous castoreum in there), but it's definitely outgoing and has character.

Knize Ten is the fragrance you'd wear when you want everyone to know you have a huge dick.

Grottola

Remember when Oppenheimer remarked, "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", after testing the first atomic bomb? The bringer of death that he helped to create?

Well, I can only imagine the thoughts of François Coty and Vincent Roubert after they create Knize Ten. It's the strongest, skankiest leather I've ever smelled, and while it doesn't smell animalic by any means, it does have that "porta potty" smell I get from other leathers like Royal English Leather. Meaning, it doesn't smell like urine or feces, it smells like the pink aroma of the restroom itself.

I'm going to have to revisit this one a few more times, but so far Knize Ten is definitely peaking my interest. I want to get to know it even more.

MizLiz
MizLiz

Yes, yes, yes! Here is a real, 1920's smoky leather. Knize Ten smells properly leathery and smoky, rounded out by an ambery, floral heart that reminds me somewhat of L'Heure Bleue. Knize Ten is nostalgic in the best sense of the word. If you wear it while dancing the waltz, your partner will want to get even closer, I promise!

girasolina
girasolina

E' proprio come lo descrivono ma io sono una che desidera profumi cattivi, intriganti, che ti stendono senza essere volgari.O sono io oppure tutto sto gran dire dei profumi finisce sempre per essere "una sveltina"...scompaiono sulla mia pelle. Ottimo profumo, sillage=0 !!!!

Slayerized
Slayerized

The offensive opening reminds me of being in a car garage smelling petrol, tar and rubber and then suddenly the garage changes into a shop where they sell lots of leather shoes! Really amazing though I can understand its dislike.
After that it changes again in a very very distinguished, sophisticated, not offensive and manly scent with perfect sillage and longevity.
The dry down is a perfect original smell of (mainly) leather, amber, a touch of vanilla which makes you feel like a real man. Genuine leather!!
Classic warm old scent that is still perfectly wearable these days (35+).

shamus1
shamus1

Knize Ten lives up to all of its hype, and then some. It has become my favorite leather fragrance.

Knize Ten smells like the interior of a brand new luxury car with leather upoholstery. We're not talking about black leather, like in Fonzie's leather jacket. This is a soft, tan-colored leather smell that is also spicy, no doubt acheived by the presence of cinnamon. The addition of iris to the leather gives Knize Ten a hazy, dusky smell, adding to its allure and giving the scent great depth. It has a wonderful oily glow to it that the best leathers have, without smelling like gasoline.

Knize Ten's biggest artistic virtue is how amazingly elegant, refined and perfectly balanced it is. It's so multifaceted, evolving by the hour ever so slightly, yet never losing its leather focus. It is a fragrance that smells better and better the longer you wear it, and you will wear it for a long time since the scent lasts for well over 12 hours.

The best fragrances are those where all of the ingredients fit and work together in perfect harmony. Balance is a quality that is hard to acheive in creating a perfume, but is particularly hard in a leather perfume; leathers often smell off-kilter or overpowered by smoky notes or a petrolieum smell. Knize Ten, howver, acheives perfect equilibrium with all of its various smells. It smells debonaire and dashing. This fragrance is so comfortable to wear and is so good, wearing it brightens even the most miserbale day.

MY RATING: 10/10

A love or hate, totally iconic, scent and possibly one of the best masculine fragrances ever produced. Knize Ten makes a great example of the concept "expensive doesn't always mean good" as it is very reasonably priced and at the same time better than almost any other more expensive leather-themed composition available on the market.

An archetypal perfume and one of the very few pre-WWII leather compositions who carefully avoided disastrous reformulation*. Made by Franoise Coty and Vincent Roubert, Knize Ten is a pillar of the early 900 perfumery and something we all should preserve from oblivion.

The opening is litterally shocking (to me in a good way, but can be challenging to someone) with a severe and breathtaking explosion of leather. If you like it, fine, if you don't, just hang in there for a while as in the drydown Knize Ten turns into an incredibly comfortable and wearable scent. A magnifically rounded amber smooths the ever dominant animalic leather adjusting the initial severity and harshness with some warmness. Floral patterns (ylang-ylang and jasmine), some spices and woods reinforce the general classic vein while the infamous gasoline-like leather note merges with the rest to give birth to a rich blend that feels assertive and relaxed at the same time. Absolutely distinctive.

Knize Ten became the benchmark of masculine leather fragrances and after eighty years it's still one of the most successful and most copied compositions ever. An all time favourite and a great example that perfection is ageless.

Like it or not, there's only one like it.

* Unfortunately, Knize Ten has been recently reformulated…and not for the best. It's still head and shoulders above the average quality available amongst standard niche offerings but it feels overall sharper and thinner. I don't know when this exactly happened but it was sometime between 2013 and 2014.

calina
calina

Yes, definitely the definitive leather fragrance hands down. Its packaging is somewhat dated but there is something endearing about it. The perfume itself is complex, subtle, slightly soft and powdery yet strong at the same time. It's the smell of an old world composition where attention to detail is executed with precision and intent.

With the right marketing, it should have been a runaway success. But it is still produced by a small german company in very limited quantities. But in these times, ain't nothing wrong with that!

Roan
Roan

A raw scent. No wonder that famous Manolo Blahnik use this as his signature. It's sophisticated, elegant and classy. I thought there was nothing to compete with Colonia Intensa in classic category, but there is...this one. As Colonia Intensa, Knize is for a serious man who wears a suit or a nice blazer well combined with the other clothes. Classic black suit for a gentleman - there is nothing to complain about. Classic parfume - there is nothing to complain about. But, this perfume hasn't usual smell. It is well balanced. Opening is sharp, spicy and strong for the nose. Rosemary was the most sensible to me. It needs about 10min until the main notes are gone and then the perfume is developing into the heart. The heart prickles the nose. I wondered what it could be...and yes, I was right - that is patchouly which is strong and really spicy. There are no traces of the rose, only a woody composition which dominates. Cinnamon gives the spiceiness to the whole story. After some time, the base is coming out but leather is recognizable from the opening until the end, but now it takes a main role with the wood. The drydown of the parfume is classic for such composition. It is elegant, it prickles the nose but it is not assailant. Very long lasting perfume. It has not a big aura, it is intimate, but it has its own personality...anybody who comes closer, it will recognize that personality. Elegant and classy, like Blahnik itself!

michael
michael

I had been waiting,impatiently I might add,for this to come back on the market. I finally found it at Lucky Scent and received my bottle on 1/10. It was well worth the wait. Knize Ten is a stylish gentlemen's leather that smells like none of the other leathers in my wardrobe. It's in a wonderful leather world all by itself.
It's already made it into my top five,bumping Cuir Pleine Fleur (Heeley).

5 stars easy--this one has no faults that I can detect.

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

I read an article featuring the portly Manolo Blahnik who was wearing dandified house-slippers and professing that Knize Ten was his favorite scent. Hmmm, interesting, I'm gonna get it! I was sure it would smell of violets, or something limey-citrusy. Wrong! Nothing dandy about this scent. It's weird, wild and fabulous. I envisioned him walking across a room, the sillage leaving a waft of carbolic soap, doll plastic, ginger and cloves, a bit of citrus, powder, and warm salt dough. Go Mr. Dandy!

The dry down on my skin reminds me of Wella Balsam's Shampoo from the late seventies, but watch out, on fabric you've been to the gas station after the shower!

A raw, "meaty" leather singes the nostrils and lasts a couple of hours or so, then gives way to a nice blend with a strong spice note. It's a bit powdery and the leather is in the background. If there is vanilla in here it is very minimal, and the animalic notes are not offensive (compared to Kouros, for example). Longevity and projection/"sillage" are excellent. I can certainly understand why some don't like this one, and I didn't at first either. However, I decided to keep trying and as often occurs, my "nose" adjusted to it and I was able to enjoy the blend, especially once the strong leather in the opening subsides. If you like strong leather and spice with a nice cast of background notes (including powdery iris), you should try this one.

UPDATE: I was able to obtain some very old EdC of this one and I'm not sure how the top notes held up. I don't get much of them in this formulation (and no "meaty" quality is detectable), relative to the more recent EdT I have (decant), though I try to avoid top notes anyway. This EdC has the perfect drydown for me, which is a powdery, dry, slightly animalic and spicy leather. It's not as ambery as the newer EdT, thankfully. I'd suggest this one, but it must be incredibly rare (and if I see more I'm going to try and grab it for myself!).

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

There is no doubt that this is a leather scent. The leather is right up front, first thing out of the sample vial, taking up at least half of the olfactory stage. It’s not a rough ‘n tough, ripped-straight-off-the-animal leather, it’s a fairly refined natural leather, the kind that might be used to make an old-fashioned briefcase. Along with the leather is a soft, slightly spicy, woody, peppery and powdery floral backup, perfectly blended and in complete harmony. None of the backup notes is so strong that it pops out against the leather; they simply hum together as a unit while the leather does its thing.

As the perfume dries down, the leather finishes its solo and blends with the rest of the notes to create a luminous whole that is absolutely gorgeous. The floral notes become a bit more prominent, but they are so well blended that individual notes remain obscure, and a new flower is created. The leather-petaled flower that some other perfumes have tried unsuccessfully to achieve is blooming in all its glory in Ten. Sillage is good, and the scent lasts 5-6 hours, not bad for an EdT.

This is among the best leather scents I have smelled. It’s certainly the most “leathery”. It is definitely decant-worthy and regular rotation-worthy. It’s supposed to be a “man’s” perfume, but I’m sure it would be just as appealing for a woman as a man - different context, different scent. If you don’t like leather, this scent is not for you, but if you do, or even if you think you might, it’s a must-try.

Note: The "castor oil" mentioned in the notes here is almost certainly castoreum. The two are very different things.