Designers » L » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Al Oudh L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

oud
Al Oudh L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

Al Oudh is a new fragrance of the house of L`Artisan Parfumeur, created by Bertrand Duchaufour, constructed as a spicy-woody-animalistic combination. The fragrance is created as a mixture of oriental nuances, balms and smoky agar wood. Duchaufour has explored new scents on his journeys to distant countries. He pours beautiful sights and experiences into his new fragrant pieces. Some of his fragrant travel descriptions and very successful creations are Timbuktu, Dzongkha and Fleur de Liane, which fascinate with their nuances and reflect regions they were inspired by in a perfect way. They take us to recently introduced Havana Vanille and the latest, Al Oudh.

The perfumer found inspiration for Al Oudh in the Arabic desert, by creating pictures of old caravans transporting myrrh, gold and incense, while rounding up that image with essences of agar wood, which is a genuine guide in the Orient thanks to its characteristic aromas. The fragrance opens in spicy-fiery tacts with cinnamon, cardamom and pink pepper, which will seduce you from the very beginning. A heart is composed of neroli, rose, castroneum, leather, civet and moss, while a base encompasses agar wood, sandalwood, Atlas cedar, patchouli, myrrh, incense, vanilla and tonka. The fragrance arrives in a glass flacon decorated with ornaments, available as 100 ml EDP. Al Oudh was launched in 2009.

Cardamom Pink Pepper Caraway Dates Orange Blossom Dried Fruits

iris Neroli Saffron Incense Rose Agarwood (Oud) Leather

Sandalwood Patchouli Virginia Cedar Tonka Bean Vanilla Myrrh Civetta Musk

Al Oudh Fragrance Reviews

Yohji
Yohji

Was always curious to see my favourite notes together, and also was curious how animalic spicy leathery oud would be)
Satisfied now - its like us, humans, during intensive workout - be it sex, be it gym, be it just playing basketball on the beach...mmm..Its exactly a "mmmm" one)
As an experience - wonderful smell, - dates, caraway, leather, oud, civet, saffron - you can easily recognise all notes, enjoy their presence
It goes hot on skin, its grey day here but I feel my skin exposed to the heat, waves of incensy animalic accords, almost not safe ones)
As a fragrance to wear - special, very carefully decided occasions) Hope you got the hint
By mood remind me Donna Karan's Black Cashmere
Would prefer bigger projection and sillage though.

Gulnara
Gulnara

I must say it is a flat masculine scent.I like it but it is not a wearble scent for women. I just wanted to have it, but made a mistake buying 100 ml bottle. It is very sexy & exotic, and somewhat dirty. Suitable for cold winter days. It also has a good lasting power.

hadassa
hadassa

I've been in a mood for an animalic stinker kind of perfume lately, and Al Oudh, unfortunately, does not fit the bill.

For stinkers à la Musc Koublai Khan or any other civet-loaded Lutens (even his floral bouquets like Fleurs d'Oranger) I am not ready and probably will never be. I only want a touch of naughtiness in my perfume, not that real stench which I have discovered in a couple of SL creations.

I thought that Al Oudh with all these "hot summer public transportation" and "Middle Eastern soccer team" comments is exactly what I'was looking for... I mean, a petite well-groomed woman that smells like an Arabian knight, that might be interesting ;)

Alas, Al Oudh, as beautiful it is, does not provide me with any bodily smell, absolute zero of stench here. It's just a floral-woody combination with some spice (saffron, cumin) and a touch of fruitiness. Rose, oud, patchouli, dried fruits - all these accords are here, and the composition is very good, inoffensive, and nothing I was looking for.

What also was disappointing for me is the subtlety of Al Oudh. It's a skin scent, and it's very transparent. I would say, faint.

However, it's very pleasant and warm. If it was twice as concentrated I would love to have it im my collection as a woody floral, as to my nose this one is incapable to play a "sweaty animal" kind of role.

I thing I will check if MFK Absolue Pour Le Soir might fit this role.

Cereza
Cereza

Upon applying I was instantly hit in the face with something I was very sure I recognize, it took me a while to think clear and understand that AL OUDH opens with...marzipan! I went trough notes and could not understand why I am getting such a gourmand feeling, but well - chemistry.
After an hour I was finally approached with what everyone here seems to speak about - armpits. It's basically load of cumin accompanied with loads of sweet dried fruit and DATES. It stays this way all the way until AL OUDH fades away - 5 hours, not more.

I was actually dissapointed as I got no civet, no oud whatsoever, just sweet dates and cumin. It wasn't that bad scent wise though I finds this a bit sickening sweet, I will admit that I did love the marzipan opening, it's one of my favorite sweets.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Smell of sweat after a game of soccer...

Back in college I had many good friends from the middle east. Best friends ever. They wore fragrances all the time which smelt very elegant and nice. During early fall and late spring we'd get together on campus to play soccer, and many of them came wearing colognes.

After the games I smelt like man's sweat, like stinky and sweaty occidental man's sweat; however, they exuded this particular smell that was not pure sweat, but something unique and recognizable to me: a mixture of sweat and what I know now is oud. I have to say however still stinky we all were, their sweat smelt much better than mine because of the oud--I theorize that Bedouins of centuries past (long ago) discovered that oud served to disguise the smell of sweat in the desert. Heterosexually speaking, I dare to say that possibly they smelled animalistically and sexily attractive and that a small number of women who have smelt this perfumed sweat might concur.

When I smelled Al-oudh, it was taken immediately back to my post-soccer games memories. Al-oud smells like my middle eastern friends smelled after our soccer games.

But sweat is still sweat and why parfumeurs still insist on mixing civet and oud is beyond me. I repeat, the combination of civet and oud (and possibly dates thrown into the mix as well), as I don't think oud alone mimics perspiration. Parfumeurs, please stop the non-sense and the mixing of these 2 ingredients to mimic perfumed sweat. I think there is some attractiveness in this but I dare to say not in high numbers.

Al Oudh would be so much better than what it is with less or no civet at all. The combination of spices and dried fruits/dates is delicious.

I personally might buy a bottle of Al-oudh because of the fond and great memories Al-oudh brought me of my friends and our soccer games back in college.

garamascara
garamascara

If you enjoy crowded public transportation on a hot day, mazel tov, you have just discovered your signature scent. I have caught myself, on occasion, admiring the body odor of a stranger. I am not offended by the smell of humanity, but this is really too much skank for me.

lousif
lousif

I can't get enough of this stuff. It was love at first smell. I get an initial blast of bold masculine rose and then lots and lots of musk. Very little oud but I'm ok with that. There is a very animalistic, just had sex super skank vibe to this. Definitely not for everyone. My coworkers are of the opinion that it smells like BO.

If you like Bertrand Duchafour, and you're ok with rose musky scents try and get a sample of this. Probably NSFW and maybe not the best choice on a really hot day, but there is no other fragrance that makes me want to constantly sniff my wrists during the day like this does.

aphexacid
aphexacid

I absolutely love Arabian style perfumes. My fiance is Middle Eastern and ever since we've been together, its really opened my eyes to some very interesting perfumes!

I also think Bertrand Duchaufour is a genius. I love and own many of his works.

However, i think he lost the plot here. What you are smelling from Al Oudh is not a beautiful Arabian perfume. You're smelling an Arabian man that sprayed on a beautiful perfume, then left to go work outside in the heat and has become all sweaty.

Thats basically Al Oudh in a nutshell.

There is an extraordinary scent hidden under a thick layer of body odor. Its NOT the oud. Its got to be the caraway and civet combo. Because if you were to go hunt down Rose Poivree, you get a smilar armpit funk.

Very unfortunate!

miishutka
miishutka

This is an interesting fragrance. It is on the verge of being downright awful but there is a note that tries to balance it out. It actually does smell like an armpit or body odor, but with a sweet note to clean it up a little.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

This is really more of an art-piece than a wearable fragrance.

I adore this on my skin, because I get a delicious cumin-spiced date pudding with a touch of pencil-shaving-esque oud.

I love it on myself, but there's no way in hell I would ever wear this out anywhere because I know that there are few people that would actually appreciate it.

It smells like your body after having sweaty sex. That's the best way to put it. Definitely not a negative observation at all :p

amersa
amersa

I don't like this perfume, bad oud for oud lover.

pravda48
pravda48

*First review! First Oud experience*

My immediate out of the bottle reaction: “this smells like my great grandpa, super manly and old, yech!”

First swipe on skin- “spicy! Cinnamon/anise/clove/nutmeg… What the… stinky?? B.O. undernote?? How unusual!”

Notes listed I ‘see’ are a very strong oud (I think, judging by having never smelled that before I think this is a pretty strong example), caraway, CIVET!, incense, musk, cardamom, civet civet and more civet! Hits me like stinky cheese that you have a taste for: you just keep wanting to sniff it even though it’s awful! I officially award this one trainwreck status for being fascinatingly disastrous on my skin. The 'spicy woody animalistic’ for once from the creator’s short note description is spot on, all in the EXTREME.

On a humorous note, my (male) roommate walked in to my room and when I mentioned I'd just put on the oddest perfume sample I'd tried, he said, "Yes, I can tell. I'd kill it with fire." So yea, apparently great sillage after recent application, for those who want to project a savage musky animal odor to all in the room.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Al Oudh...More of a nod to oudh in my books. It's a pretty scent, but like most L'Artisans I have tested, it's faint. I get neither notable sillage nor tenacity from most of their offerings, which is a shame because they use good quality components, have interesting, attractive formulas, and cost a pretty penny. I like this scent, but I should have loved it from the notes. Somewhere, there are mis-steps in composition here; the cumin is very dominant (although I don't get the body odor references others complain of), too dominant. The leather note is barely present to me, which is fine. In early stages, the dried fruit is very evident, though under the cumin, and it is almost a candied fruit. The animalics (musk, civet) are tenuous, barely detectable. Long, slow wrist-to-nose inhalation brings a mere hint of rose---enjoy that at the start, because it fades. And as for oudh, it's there but not in any robust way. It doesn't smell especially natural, but then it's so faint I can hardly judge it. It does seem more like the smoke of oudh one wafts into one's face and clothing when it is offered on a brazier at events. I love oudh in many forms from the camphor-heavy rich oily versions to the more delicate inclusions in an attar, especially those classic Damascus rose and oudh combinations. Al Oudh is an allusion to oudh, a very pretty smell that is simply too faint and too brief to count as perfume on my skin. It is more like a subtle trace of scent left from a body lotion unless I'm exceptionally warm; then I get occasional light puffs of something pleasant---something that I might love if it were dialed up a thousand-fold. Someone at L'Artisan headquarters needs to brief their noses and technicians: turn up the volume!

aaronl3e7
aaronl3e7

I have Al Oudh on right now and it’s making me nauseous.

I purchased a .7 ml decant and figured today would be the day to wear it to work.
Everything was fine until the dry down hit me; all I can smell now are overly sweet notes of sandalwood.

I hate sandalwood (especially this sweet).

I can barely hold myself back from throwing up right now for long enough to write this review. The sandalwood is really that bad. This is a complete 180 from the earthy/spicy way it smelled this morning when I put it on.

Definitely try this on your skin before you buy.

LookGoodSmellBetter
LookGoodSmellBetter

This smells like sex. This is the aroma of "doing the nasty"! Every waft is reminiscent of the scent of a woman's warm body anxious with anticipation of her lover's tender "southern kiss". Every whiff makes this non-smoker want to light up a victory cigarette to celebrate this latest sexual conquest. Aromatic eroticism at its best.

rafickw
rafickw

This is an amazing sweet oud. I do immediately detect a honey note with the beautiful oud, in my opinion the agarwood not so apparent in this fragrance yet supported and lifted by 4 notes i do detect, honey, cinnamon ,incense and a slight saffron note to give it an earthy spicy edge. This is miles away from the crazy seedy "Le Labo Oud 27" This is more reserved, comforting yet still mysterious.

This has decent sillage and longevity.

More Reviews? The Perfume's Apothecary @facebook

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

I do not know why this fragrance has so many negative comments - on my skin it is really good - combination of spicy notes with oud and wood. Develops beautifully in warm weather, as for cold winter it might be too weak and soft. Definitely a very good masculine scent.

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

The only time I can put this on is imidiately after a shower, when it smells dangerous and exotic and perfect for after dusk. Otherwise, if I don't put it on shower-fresh skin, it can smell like BO (thanks to the cumin, a spice often used in Indian cuisine). On anyone else I've sprayed it on this imidiately smells indescribabely sexy, a proper seductive enigmatic perfume that has undenyable sex appeal (appearing heavy and alpha on a man but light and almost floral on a woman), but on my skin the cumin screams murder and although this scent does make me rather fancy myself, it can also make me want to get back in the shower if I wear it in the day, so I prefer it in the evening. Ideal for when you want to smell (in a traditional sense) perfumed, also relaxed, well-travelled, imposing, and dangerously desirable. I don't advise attempting this on anything other than freshly scrubbed skin, but under the right conditions this is a wonderful exotic elixir with dreams of the East; the sales spiel about a caravan carrying silks, fruits, incense, and spices accross desert plains is actually very apt. Cowbells adorn camels, clinking in the dusk. Yashmaks and golden coins adorn olive-skinned lovelies. Precious scents seep along breezes carried across scorched dunes on a desert wind, your head is filled with Eastern promise.

The only time I can put this on is imidiately after a shower, when it smells dangerous and exotic and perfect for after dusk. Otherwise, it really smells like BO (that's more thanks to the cumin than anything else). On anyone else I've sprayed it on it smells indescribabely sexy, a proper seductive enigmatic perfume that has undenyable sex appeal (appearing heavy and alpha on a man but light and almost floral on a woman), but on me the cumin screams blue murder and although this scent makes me rather fancy myself, it also makes me want to get back in the shower. Ideal for when you want to smell (in a traditional sense) perfumed, also relaxed, well-travelled, imposing, and dangerously desirable. I don't advise attempting this on anything other than freshly scrubbed skin (because, and don't let this put you off, you will smell like an unwashed Indian man) but under the right conditions this is a wonderful exotic elixir with dreams of the East; the sales spiel about a caravan carrying silks, fruits, incense, and spices accross desert plains is actually very apt. Cowbells adorn camels, clinking in the dusk. Yashmaks and golden coins adorn olive-skinned lovelies. Precious scents seep along breezes carried across scorched dunes on a desert wind, your head is filled with Eastern promise, your loins stir with the excitement of an adventure.

Bbjr

Ok, now there's something very alluring about this stuff. Yes, after 15 minutes or so this smells like BO but it still has me smelling it every 10 minutes. I guess it's like someone said below that some of the best smells emanate from the human body and I guess that's what this is about. It's very difficult to put a finger on any one note but the combination has created something very mysterious. I might buy it now.

Bbjr

I cannot detect a drop of oud in this stuff. On my skin all I can smell is some strange odor that I just can't place. Yes, it's something like b.o. And yes, it gives off the scent of a woman's sex spot. I can't freakin tell if I like this or not. It's super strong that's for sure and I keep going back to smell it on my skin. One time it will be a nice spicy, sweet smell and next time, my armpit. I don't think this is going to work.

MarkT
MarkT

A most interesting fragrance- reading the other reviews I expected to run into the cacophony of notes mentioned by others- and there were a few that were detectable. Shortly after application, I got a very short burst of cat pee (I keep reading about civet being described this way, but never really got it myself until I tried this one,) the cumin is also notable individually for a few moments. But after that it settles down- that what an interesting scent! Living in the middle east, I get to experience a lot of different oud scents- from cheap synthetics (and bad naturals) to high end, connoisseur scents- both in oil form and applied via smoke from agarwood burned in incense brasiers. The range of scents is tremendous and much broader than the sort of Europeanized standard of good synthetics replicating mid quality Indian agarwood that is popular in many western made Oud perfumes. This scent, being part of the travel series- really gives a tour of oud scents, and a very erratic one- sort of what you would encounter in a crowded market (or metro car) in Dubai.
This is achieved not through a use of a variety of oud notes- but, as Doc Elly correctly surmised fromt the absence of much real oud scent, by using other elements to paint a picture of varieties of oud. An effort to do for oud what Guerlain did for roses with Nahema.
The tour de oud goes on for an hour on my skin, then settles down to a stable and very accurate rendition (as noted by Sculpture of Soul) of oud scent applied by means of holding one's self or one's garments over the smoke of real buring oud chips.
I'll update this as soon as I can get a chance to do a direct comparison between the two.

Update: Went to a reception where guests were presented with a brazier to fumigate themselves with oud smoke. The drydown of L'Artisan is a dead ringer for this scent, although MUCH fainter (which can be a good thing.)

dlane1953
dlane1953

I've given this one many wearings in the hope that I'd grow to admire it--but it ain't gonna happen. I adore woody and spicy notes in a fragrance so was quite sure I'd love it--but what a disappointment. On my skin, it smells like a cacaphony of inharmonious chords, like a symphony orchestra gone wild or atonal music played at outrageously loud levels. It screeches! Harsh and unpleasant. Do wish I could break it down verbally but the total effect is the one that stands out, not individual notes. Good luck to those with more forgiving body chemistry than mine!

alonzo.schönewald
alonzo.schönewald

I smelled this yesterday , first from a glass cup sampler on a cotton ball and i gotta say that this thing is awful,
I am not a fan of oud, but a company like "Montale" made me like and appreciate it,
but this things smells like a dirty ass.. an unwiped one it is horrible.
Shame because L'artisan has some beautiful beautiful pieces - Timbuktu.

LANIER
LANIER

Deep in the desert between the rose red city of the dead and Aqaba in the fabled Wadi Rum, where in I found myself standing before the tent of a Bedouin Sheikh. The great royal blue curtains heavy with gold embroidery and pearls the size of cherry pits parted to reveal the most inner sanctum of the cool spacious palatial tent. Here far from the Western world and deep into the mysterious desert of Jordan I entered upon a dream beyond those of Scheherazade, T. E. Laurence or even the great Darius of Persia.

I stood alone in listening to soft voices of the desert jinn carried from the heart of the night upon the wind to my ears. They whispered scented words of magic and wishes and wonders beyond the dreams of kings. The wind rose and fluttered the roof of the tent and made the tent polls of agar wood to creak and sway gently. Tiny bells like rain on the hot sand broke the air and urged me on deeper into the tent. A brassier in the center of the tent burned in amber and crimson flame revealing just beyond it a small myrtle wood chest intricately studded in ivory and gold. I knelt on cushions of indigo silk and with hesitant hands opened the box. Within lay a glittering glass bottle of golden liquid. As I reached for it the tent began to swirl in heady waves as though I and all about me were being lifted on the wings of a great bird to be carried to another world.

I opened the bottle and the air about me changed instantly and transformed the dry warm night of the desert into magic filled with music and desire. I blinked… there before me stood a Jinn. Magnificent in form and enticing in his smile he leaned toward me and winked. I was so startled by the apparition that I dropped the bottle spilling what remained of the golden juice.

“My son you have set me free and for this I grant you….” His voice was rich and deep and full of the promise of all things imagined and many more things undreamed of.

“Three wishes?” I managed to squeak out.

A well manicured brow shot up as he cocked his head to one side. “No! I give nothing so common as a wish for you my lord of my emancipation. But rather, I give this.” He picked up the empty bottle held it out to me.

“An empty bottle?” very disappointed.

The Jinn chuckled causing the walls of the tent to flap lightly… and beyond them there were tiny silvery giggles from the moonless night. He put the bottle to his lips and filled the chamber with his breath then capped it quick as lightning with a golden seven sided stopper. The Jinn held it before me and dropped it into my open hand. In a flash of fire and rain he was gone. I looked down at the bottle with its red Arabian grillwork and read the words emblazed in warm buttery gold letters. “Al Oudh ~ Eau de Parfum.”

The magic held within Al Oudh by L’Artisan Parfumeur Paris is indeed like a dream. It opens with the delicious delights of pink pepper, Dates, dried fruits, caraway, cardamom and orange blossoms. They hang in the air about six glorious seconds only to be violently embraced and seduced like Velma Banky by Rudolph Valentino in The Sheik. A beatific incense, elegant agar wood (Oud) and rich dark sexy leather, make up the heady scrumptious almost religious concoction full of church and sin, sex and redemption that takes over here. This center is supported by iris, saffron, Neroli, and rose. Yes Al Oudh is a caravan of oriental exotics poised to poison you with delirious olfactory pleasures. This Parfum packs a punch not meant for those who prance and dance lightly in green fields covered in laundry lines of drying white cotton sheets and shirts. The ever evolving dry down meets this caravan of pleasure with its own treasures from the east. Sandalwood, Tonka beans, vanilla and the dirty sexy little civet come to the orgy with a grounding musk, rapturous patchouli, rich caramelized myrrh all in cased in a fine Cedar.
Yet even hours into this fragrance you never loose the gloria in excelsis which is the trinity of incense, Oud and Leather.

A word to the wise on this one, as with most perfumes as compared to Eau de Toilettes a very little goes a very long way. So be gentle when you apply. For men one spritz will do the job. Two will kill at ten paces. And believe me boys it will last all day and well into the night so on longevity it is a stunner. Not for work only for special events or evening wear. As for silage there it gets gold stars too.

I must thank and acknowledge my friend Hilary at Barney’s New York who guided me to this wonderful perfume. Her expertise is without compare and she is both gracious and beautiful. If you are ever in San Francisco go by Barney’s and say hello to Hilary. She will be your very own personal Jinn and find you just the right fragrance to fulfill your every wish.

FIVE PLATINUM STARS *****

klohi72
klohi72

I just love this! Not a strong oudh, but enough. Leather, saffron, date; spicy and smoky, but clean and sexy. Long wearing as well, which is good as I find myself sniffing my sleeve cuffs all day. Would smell divine on a man.
Definitely full bottle worthy.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Doesn't smell like oud but it definitely smells like beaver. Beaver sprinkled with cinnamon. I'm gay but this instantly transported me back to the last time I was close to a beaver, about six years ago. I'd buy it but it's too watery and faint and if I wear something like this I want it opaque as a wall (see less overtly beavery Kingdom). Maybe I'll still buy it and just wear a whole lot.

Too much. I expected to love this one instead I just like it. It includes powerful and important notes, especially exotic and sensual, but then it comes out too much to be worn on regular basis and unfortunately the main outcome is cumin typical b.o.
Shame! So many beautiful notes! I wanted the orange blossom to come out stronger and enlighting for the whole scent but no orange blossom note was noticeable.
The lasting power is not bad compared to other L'artisan. It's expensive but good quality. I simply cannot thing of any occasion of my life when I want to smell like exotic b.o.!

calyx93
calyx93

Well, I like it, but I think it's just too expensive for something that is as light and fleeting as this. Granted, it does do the human body odor smell very well thanks to the cumin, castoreum and synthetic oud, but there are other scents (or combinations thereof) that can do that too - and for much cheaper.

Here's a thought - try dotting on some synthetic/low grade oud oil on strategic points on your body, add a couple of blasts of John Varvatos (for the dates and a touch of leather), now spray a good deal of Kiss Him all over (for the sweaty cumin and sweet woody amber drydown). Voila! You have a budget Al Oudh for about a quarter of the price - maybe even less if you shop around.

It would smell about the same and last about as long - maybe 4-5 hours. When I'm done with my bottle of Al Oudh, I might give this mixture a try. Or not.

Update - I had nasal polyps removed - lo and behold, my olfactory sensitivity is through the roof. This is MUCH better than I had initially experienced (along with most every fragrance I own). Granted, it's still not as powerful as a Montale or any true eastern oud, but it's so much better than I had initally though. It's now back out of the box and into the collection I actually wear!

kris919
kris919

I had high hopes, I thought I would love this. This smells like b.o. and unclean sex. like what sex for days without a shower might be like? yuck. It also smells like a wood-centric wannabe-exotic gift shop in some dopey Epcot Center sort of place where you can get a phony taste of far way places right here at home, kinda thing. It's also got this moldy books sort of note. This is the first l'artisan I tried that I didnt like. just blah and strange. "unshowered nymphos... party of two?, your table is ready..."

nonnative
nonnative

Another BeDu (Bertrand Duchaufour)great creation. I love almost everything he does. This parfume hugs me and reassure me for hours (not as much as Dzonka, but enough for me). Thanks BeDu, you are great.

netorian
netorian

Very strange parfum. I tried to not like it because it's too heavy for me. (I mean, i agree with those persons who say it's a bit like a medicine), but this medicine is good! It's bitter, but at the same time it soft and sensual. Very sensual!

My only problem comes from this... . If it's Al Oudh (agarwood) why is sooo mixed? Nomen est omen says the Latin.

But I say it's a good, unisex parfüm in the winter.

Uniqueness: 8/10
Erotica: 8/10
How i like it: 7/10

Good for a first date? Not in summer! And you have to know, this parfum is better if u want to add something new in a relationship. Where u can find lot's of agarwood? In India! What comes also from India? Yes! The Kamasutra!

kassinator
kassinator

This is probably the most interesting fragrance I've ever smelled. To put it bluntly, it smells like sex. No, I mean really. It smells like hot sweaty dirty sex. Now, I think that smell is hot, but I can't decide if I actually want to walk around smelling like this all the time. Something about this scent is so intense... I love it, but it's a tough decision for me. I have a sample and I'm going to test it out on different days and see if I actually want to buy a bottle. When I smell this scent from the bottle it smells like richly spiced and woodsy, but on my skin the musk comes out. Again, it's musky in an incredibly sexy way, but it might just be too much. On a guy I think that this would be mouth wateringly amazing. I might have to spritz some on my husband and test this theory.

Edit: I continue to smell my sample and spritz myself whenever I am near a bottle of this stuff. It smells like sexy magic and I have to get a bottle.

INJEN
INJEN

I was wondering between AL OUDH and Tom Ford OUDH Wood which will be consider the better OUDH fragrance . come on everyone I need some input here

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

It was a little disconcerting to find that oud is not a big component of Al Oudh. However, given the huge list of notes scattered all over olfactory space, I suppose this is to be expected. I was also surprised that this is not a big, strong, assertive scent, but rather a thin and delicate fragrance that pretty much fades away completely after 5-6 hours.

In the beginning I smell saffron, cedar, some very subtle spices, a little bit of civet and/or castoreum, a lot of myrrh, and a generic floral note. If there’s any oud at all in the mix, it’s lost. At least I would have expected to smell some synthetic oud. As it starts to dry down I smell vanilla and a hint of incense along with the resins and animalic notes. For a little while there’s a nice, clean, woody sillage subtly floating around, a totally different scent from the one that’s close to the skin, which seems heavy on the castoreum and myrrh. That elusive bit of sillage is the only thing that hints of oud.

It’s possible that the intention was to try to put together an accord that smelled like oud using a whole slew of non-oud notes, but for me it doesn’t work. I can see the intended resemblance, but the notes remain separate and the Gestalt never materializes. It’s not that I don’t like the scent, because I do. It just wasn’t what I was expecting.

semj
semj

This was eagerly anticpated.Lucky I just orderd a sample. I don't get it. I smell nothing but cheap aftershave. The silage is quite ok as I cant scrub it off.

L’artisan parfumeur AL OUDH is a dark, charcoal-like oudh perfume with an addictive aspect to it. Although this composition seems in some ways simple and is relatively linear, it is nonetheless rich and inviting. This is the first wrist-sniffer that I’ve encountered which is detectably devoid of either floral or sweet notes. Yet I do find this smell comforting, like the smell of burnt black logs at an idyllic campsite far from the madding urban sprawl. AL OUDH is not smoky in the usual sense—it really offers more of the scent of carbonized wood than the smoke from a fire. Somehow it also smells clean—wearing AL OUDH does not make one feel like a soot-covered chimney sweep.

Equally suitable for women or men, AL OUDH has medium sillage and excellent longevity. Slowly but surely, I’m beginning to comprehend the mania for this note in twenty-first century perfume. From my thusfar rather limited travels through the world of oudh, I can definitely affirm: so far so good! AL OUDH is a splendid wintertime perfume.

IlDottoreFaustus
IlDottoreFaustus

Though I adore BD as much as I can, but...
This piece is quite unfocused-- well, I am not a fan of oud theme, but I like the animalic note very well, so I decided to forgive it. But look at the box, it reads: magnificence du bois de oudh. Apparently, Al Oudh is too narrow as well as weak in all aspect: the thickness, the warmth, the tenacity, blablabla.
The only thing to be happy is, I can still find the oud note, so I use is to support Rossy de Palma (ELdO). They go quite well with each other, and turn out to be an animalic rose-oud scent.

Passionflower
Passionflower

This is a weird one. It's like there's two fragrances at once: one is pleasant, reminds me of cheap aftershave. The other is nasty, like you're in a car repair shop. Tobacco mixed with all sorts of chemicals. The pleasant side to this perfume is not interesting enough to make up for the nasty side of it, and somehow they just won't blend together.
Interesting fragrance to say the least, but not one that I would ever, ever wear.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

This is quite a scent. I disagree with those who don't think it smells like oud - sure, it doesn't smell like Montale's horrible medicinal oud, nor does it smell like a high quality oud oil. What it does smell like is agarwood chips and the smoke one gets when burning them. The wood chips have a very complex aroma of wood, resin, rot, and a funky fruit aroma that smells a bit like raspberries if they were old and moldy. The smoke is similar but of course smoky, and has an even more pungent quality.

Al Oudh smells like I'd imagine a temple to smell that was burning oud and had rose petals and spices on offer to various gods on altars spread throughout.

The castoreum is quite noticeable here (I've smelled real castoreum from profumo.it - it is dark and leathery and has hints of tar and oil, but is surprisingly smooth), not so much as a note but the way it influences the texture of the scent. There is quite a bit of cumin but it blends so well that it simply adds a hint of a human note to the scent. Body odor - yes, but not in a negative sense. The most alluring smells imaginable emanate from the human body - not all of them are nasty or funky. Al Oudh captures the beautiful scent of human skin and sweat - prior to it becoming fetid - and incorporates it masterfully into the very Moroccan atmosphere of the scent.

One of if not the most velvety smooth and downright *dark* scents I've ever smelled (I feel the box represents the impression of colors I get from this scent very accurately - mostly black with some red and gold woven throughout).

As far as oud scents go, M7 is probably the closest comparison, as M7 also goes for that raspberry, fruity, spicy, funky agarwood wood chips impression. But while M7 is more earthy and rugged, Al Oudh is more refined, velvety, more overtly sultry and heck, downright sexual.

fpih
fpih

Very spicy, slightly smokey and long lasting. I agree with the others that it's more masculine than feminine, but not unwearable by the female population. In fact, it's quite soft and close to skin so that it's not going to offend anyone but those very close to the wearer.

I can't say if it's not close to the real oud as most easterners claim; I'll just take their word for it. I agree that oud is supposed to be strong and loud and this one definitely isn't. What it is though, is a very nice, spicy, warm, oriental scent. If you're a fan of those you should try it anyway ignoring the oudh part altogether. I'm not sure I want to buy a full bottle of this, but I definitely like it enough to order another sample of it and give serious thought to the idea.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

Just nice!
Very Smokey, Incense driven
A hint of spicy wood notes ..
Should be marketed as a masculine fragrance.
I can't see a woman really liking and buying this ..
unless she is getting it for her other half.

A nice INTRO for those like me ..
that want to see/ smell what this OUDH
fad is all about.

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

i am moroccan, and i have tested many real oudh perfumes from saudi arabia, oman cambodge etc , and oh my god, this smells all but oudh, ther is absolutly no oudh in there, i think even that they tried to put some artificial oudh, which is very bad bad quality of kitchen scent and lasts 2 seconds, oudh is some of the rare ingredients which cannot be made in laboratories, l'Artisan is a so fake brand, all the perfumes i v tested were fake and synthetic, and they dont last cause it is cheap synthetic chimical igredients in there, all all, tubereuse, ambre, al oudh etc so pityfull so cheap quality and so expensive, a comble !! if all iv said before was not enough,

yvashche
yvashche

The problem with all L'Artisan perfumes, not matter how beautiful and original, is that they don't last. Every single scent I have tried disappears within half an hour and that is just not good enough.
Al Oudh, besides having the same problem, is also a very weak composition, which is totally incompatible with the whole concept of oudh, which is meant to be strong, long-lasting, and dark.
Al Oudh is not dark at all, only slightly spicy. A bit sweet but really non descript. The best part of it is the bottle.

advocate
advocate

Wow, this is something interesting. Smells like young red wine, woods and incense.

bronstein
bronstein

Wow, this one manages to combine an oriental flavour without being heavy or intrusive in any way. Neverthelss, it is still preferred for older males. Therefore it suits a good looking older gent.

PS: Beware - when this scent comes in contact with clothes, it lasts for weeks. In fact, it lasts for weeks even on those clothes that came in contact with clothes that in contact with the scent. This can be quite annoying.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Mhm, this is it- all pure beauty of the east in this totally different from other L'Artisan bottle. (It looks weird on this pic, but it really does look like that, only better in person).

I didn't think it's masculine- this is kind of scent that can be worn by both.
Oud is very prominent and leads the party.
At fist it appears just 'a basic oud fragrance'. Well, it's not that simple- I thought it lacked some extra note until it opened it's beautiful wings and I almost got headache of many serious notes. Spices, leather, iris, oud. Animalistic and spicy, woody- that's right, you'll find it all here.

Just like other L'Artisan travel inspired fragrances- this fragrance is packed with staying power as though it'd steal it from other lot (that has poor staying power) <-- joke.
Anyways, I spritzed just one time and It's so enough that I wouldn't ever spray more. (It seems my nose become more sensitive- I use perfume in way less doses that I used to)
Further search- if interested- more feminine Juliette has a Gun Midnight Oud

libertybelle
libertybelle

At first application, I felt this was a masculine scent. For some reason, I was reminded of Aqua Net hairspray. After 15 minutes of wear, it settled nicely to a woodsy mossy slightly spicy fragrance. I like it but it's still a bit too masculine for me. I'd prefer it to be a bit sweeter but that's my personal preference. Overall nice if you like smokey, masculine fragrances.

guest_arabica
guest_arabica

nice parfume just like pure oudh from kilian hause.

Al Oudh by L`Artisan Parfumeur 3.62 out of 5 based on 242 ratings and 49 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Al Oudh by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Al Oudh by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.