Designers » L » Woody Spicy « Groups

Dzongkha L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

smoky
Dzongkha L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

Dzongkha by L`Artisan Parfumeur is a Woody Spicy fragrance for women and men. Dzongkha was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour. Top notes are peony, cardamom and litchi; middle notes are spices, white tea, vetiver, incense and cedar; base notes are leather, iris and papyrus.

Peony Cardamom Litchi

Spices White Tea Vetiver Incense Cedar

Leather iris Papyrus

Monk
Musc Nomade

Dzongkha Fragrance Reviews

polly golightly
polly golightly

come altri profumi dello stesso tipo (timbuktu, grey flannel, english fern) l'impatto sulla mia pelle è devastante. l'effetto della felce, o forse il muschio unito al legno di cedro, non so esattamente, danno una risultante iniziale di acido che vira poi su foglie andate a male. per tanti è un capolavoro, per me è insostenibile.

Vlud
Vlud

Very spicy with a nice woody backbone that gives some depth and that's pretty much it...an original composition but nothing spectacular here.

Betsywoolbright
Betsywoolbright

In no particular order, I smell iris, incense, leather, peony, and tea. Love it.
I wish I could detect the cardamom.
For the negative reviewers: I don't know why you don't like this. It just smells good. Maybe not unique, but interesting and uncommon.

I don't get the dill pickle note, either.

Edit: I smell the cedar and vetiver very prominently, with subsequent wearings. It is a very interesting fragrance, which proves to smell different, nearly every time I wear it. I'm going to spring for a full bottle very soon. My 10 mL decant is nearly gone!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

I’ve never been a fan of L’Artisan fragrances, let alone the uncontrollably prolific Bertrandingo. But one thing I’ve to admit – in the extremely seldom circumstances where they both work at their best, with decent budgets and some solid inspiration, the results are great. And this is definitely the case. This is easily one of the best woody-iris scents on the market, brilliantly succeeding in blending the utmost versatility and wearability with a tremendous level of creativity and quality. Basically I agree with the reviews (including Luca Turin’s one in his Guide) which connect Dzonghka to Timbuktu, as this is indeed basically Timbuktu with iris, which is amazingly blended within that peculiar sort of transparent cypress-woody and subtly leathery structure adding a powdery, rooty, dry and earthy-waxy texture which fits it just perfectly. It’s like to smell the smoky, greenish, autumnal “papery” woodiness of Timbuktu shyly blossoming in early March. Not a “floral triumph”, just some faint, pastel, still quite dark accent of rooty-floral notes rising from the soil, soon joined by a subtle, warm tea note. This is pretty much of Dzonghka smells, and it’s just achieved perfectly. It’s graceful, elegant, natural, breezy yet very cozy: no cheap musks, no plastic iris. The concept is simple, the execution is clever and well mastered. Just some genuine, palpably realistic sprinkle of orris powder on smoky woods with a “mineral” salty aftertaste and a slighty touch of sweetness which will grow in strenght on the (impeccable) drydown. It’s poetic, complex yet quite straightforward, masterfully executed keeping Timbuktu’s great ability of smelling “airy” but totally substantial. And it smells fantastic anyway. Heart-warmingly austere and very classy. Plus, finally a decently-projecting, decently persistent L’Artisan, for God’s sake. Recommended!

8-8,5/10

gedlive
gedlive

My second Le Artisan fragrance after Timbuktu. I like Timbuktu better, but this is pretty good, although it reminds me of a fragrance I didn't like, Cartier Declaration, which has a strong Cardomon, Iris, and tea accord. The soupy celery note that some mention is the Cardomon, stronger than the Fragrantica pyramid would indicate. But the acrid Incense takes it away from having a savory soupy vib. Maybe smells like cooking soup on a campfire.

I like the sharp opening the best, it's medecinal, hence the hospital smell reference, it's a strong peppery, minty, incense, with a synthetic peony, giving it a rosy floral nuance. Then as that sharp opening receeds and the vegital Cardomon takes the stage, it makes a nice contrasting accord. Also the fragrance is quite dry, but the Litchi and papyrus give it a hint of sweetness, reminding me ever so slightly of Timbuktu at times.

I liked the sharp medicinal and leather opening, reminded me of Etat Libre fragrance "Rien" a bit, I like that, since they reformulated Rien, and its not what it used to be. This is a nice replacement.

I am starting to like this more. It needs time. I don't like Iris or Cardomon or Dior Homme. But I still like this. The predominant floral, is more the rosy peony, and the Iris is more the rooty, caroty type.

I realy like it for the sharp medecinal vib, makes it strangely evocative and niche , hence the polarized reviews. Someone said it was the worst blind buy, and the worst fragrance he ever tried. But I'm one who realy likes it, very nice on a cold Winter day, although it's transparent enough to be an all season frag.

This fragrance is more gender neutral than Timbuktu, which leans to the feminine side. Dzongkha is like herbal tea, a shared fragrance. Looking forward to trying Dzing. Sorry for the cross references if your not familiar with those fragrances.
It's not as exotically authentic as "Timbuktu". Timbuktu has the scent notes of the Wusulan incense made and used by Mali woman in Africa. Dzongkha has eastern spices that we are more familiar with, as in eastern cooking, Indian Cardomon etc...

Rating: 7.5/10

God bless, John 3:16

Emma0714
Emma0714

Somedays I love Dzongkha, somedays I don't.

But today it's January and Sweden is covered in a thick, thick layer of powdery snow. The air outside is crisp, all the sounds of the city is muted, and the air outside smells like winter and carries with it the scent of the open fires that is warming up people's homes. My mouth still has the taste of warm tea with honey in it, and all my favourite candles are lit.

Today I welcome the sharp, dry, smoky, leathery and almost vegetable green fragrance that is Dzongkha. Today Dzongkha is playing in harmony with the ambience, not being "off key" against it. Today I love Dzongkha.

Though this being spicy alright, it has not the warmth of a spicy fragrance, nor has it the roundness of creaminess of a vanilla in the base. This is a sharp, serene melancholic fragrance.

Oats In The Water by Ben Howard. Or Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. This is what this perfume smells like.

hedwiginberlin
hedwiginberlin

Spearmint dentist visit.

mjdkfc
mjdkfc

Since I really liked L'Fou d'Absinthe I though I would expand my horizon with regards to L'Artisan Parfumeur.
Unfortunately this one smells like a rubber glove (the type you would use for dish washing) on my skin.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Update, Nov 19,
Both Dzongkha and Timbuktu have papyrus giving it a real earthy green aroma. They both have very attractive herbal/spicy aroma with a hint of woodsy notes.
The one thing that is noticeable in Dzongka is a earthy/carroty top note
L'Artisan has given us high quality fragrance at a VERY affordable prices. Kudos....!!!!

Without trying Dzongkha , I decided to make a blind purchase. Without smelling this fragrance, I have to say that Yatagan and Dazongkha are twin bothers..a lot. After spraying this juice on my skin a blast of green note and spicy blend from papyrus and I could swear that Artmesia is part of this juice giving it that herbal/bitter green/earthy aroma. After this juice settles there's a smokey blend. The only note that I'm not able to pick up is iris?
Longevity and Silage is very good lasting about 6-8hrs
Finally thoughts,
Thou this juice is similar to Yatagan, I do appreciate the complex blend of green notes with a pronounced smokey/spicy /woodsy blend. A very classy fragrance which could be used during the evening and almost all seasons except the hot summer months. 8/10

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Wearing "Dzongkha" is a peculiar and challenging experience, but whether you find it rewarding or not relies very much on your taste for the unusual.

There is no arguing with the reviews below likening it to vinegar and pickles. It definitely has that association for me, but of course there is a lot more going on here, so I wouldn't dismiss it based on one fleeting comparison.

Upon the first spray, "Dzongkha", for me, was like walking into a shoe store and being hit with the acute pungency of sour leather, mingled with the dry, dusty haze of old books and stale paper. Sharp, rough and arid; It was here where I also understood the comparison to pickled gherkins.

I'll admit that I found it very unpleasant, but I decided to bear it out. I was rewarded soon afterwards, with the development of a clean, soapy cardamom. The initial sourness dissolved somewhat to the point where it felt more like a typical 'greenness'; fresh, but still quite 'tannic'.

About 30 mins later and "Dzongkha" became enlivened with a faintly sweet, rosy-fruity note, which I associate with lychee, combined with a vague floral struggling over the sharp wall of vetiver and black tea.

A full hour in and things had completely blossomed into a rooty violet and lychee scent, casting off almost all remnants of its tart, bitter leather beginnings.

I can say apart from incense, which was undetectable to me, "Dzongkha" really runs the gamut of ingredients on display here and it is very literal.

Definitely try before you buy.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Dzongkha is a very well blended fragrance. It is a very dry spicy and herbal composition. At first spray I get the pepper with a blast of Iris. It comes on as very strong, but wait for the dry down. Incense also plays a role here in the background. IMO it is calming and lasts a very long time on me. I like it for the fall when the humidity is a bit low here in South Florida.

Momenti
Momenti

"Transitional Lifting" ****

This light yet lasting perfume provokes my soul. It makes me feel in levitation, ground and ceiling not very far from my body; or can it be that my soul left my body?

A space shifter: and you are out of time, as an alien in another world.

Phantosmia Bella
Phantosmia Bella

Rich in spices, an independent scent that dominates with a wild grace.
It has an Asian/African feel to it - somehow makes you want to leave everything behind and travel the world.
Not at all shy, yet inoffensive.

I just love it.

ThisVulture
ThisVulture

I'm not a fan of vetiver so Dzongkha didn't do much for me, but even I can recognize it as a well made fragrance.

It's based around a dry and woody vetiver accord that has a wonderful kind of expansiveness in the manner of Timbuktu. Unlike many vetivers, Dzongkha's vetiver is airy and light with a crispness to it that is very appealing-- even to someone who doesn't like vetiver! Nothing oily, dense, or murky/musty here.

This clean vetiver is rounded out with a good dose of iris which smells quite carroty and rooty (which I do not like-- I only go for powdery iris). There's also a smooth, cool incense note which is really sublime and gives the whole composition a refreshing elegant sheen.

If love vetiver and rooty iris, give this a try. The materials are top notch and the fragrance is beautifully laid out. However, if you're like me and not a fan of vetiver, skip it. Vetiver is the centerpiece of the fragrance and if you don't like it, you won't like Dzongkha.

Monday
Monday

Vetiver must you be so sour on my skin? I get sour vetiver, pepper, cardamom and tea. There is a pretty iris underneath but its squashed by the other notes. I keep retrying Dzongkha, it's just so unique, but this works better on fabric for me.
I see how people would get dill or vinegar from Dzongkha.

vallensvelvet
vallensvelvet

Somewhat strangely, it is Dzongkha rather than Timbuktu that reminds me of Africa. I grew up in southern East Africa, and this perfume evokes really strong memories of hot, dry, dusty earth that I associate with my childhood. Spare, mineral, dry; it stays close to the wearer and mingles with the environment to the extent that it probably never appears that you are wearing perfume to others.
I only like wearing it in hot weather, when it smells like sun-baked earth. In cold or damp weather, it becomes a somewhat chilly, grey scent, and the iris comes to the fore in a way that is a bit too much for me.

modernfumie
modernfumie

I rarely post 'meh' reviews, but I felt compelled in this case because of the hype. What is funny is that I'd heard this fragrance recommended as a feminine counterpart to the more male-targeted Timbuktu. I just don't see it. It has notes reminiscent of a classic barber shop cologne (the spices?) and it is totally dry. No sweetness, no flowers, nothing to soften the incense and woods. What this fragrance taught me about myself is that I don't like incense without amber.

My first impression was of stuffing my nose with sawdust. And my my, does it last. Dzongkha has rather impressive performance for a L'artisan creation. I tested one small dab on the inside of my elbow, and it wafted up to my nose for hours. Yes, l'artisan is amazing. Yes, Bertrand Duchaufour is a legend. But I just don't "get" it.

Not boring, but not fun either.

roo_p
roo_p

Such a perfect, light incense. The opening blast is incredibly strong, full of iris—I try to spray at least 30 minutes before heading out—but after that it settles into a beautiful, living, breathing scent that changes constantly.

Were I to make a metaphor, I’d say it was as though the rush of modern life slowly melting away into the serenity and infinite curiosity of meditative enlightenment.

Its base is in some ways very close to Timbuktu, but with a rich complexity that Timbuktu’s straightforwardness cannot come close to matching.

An interesting note: someone below mentioned a dill pickle scent. One week, when my nose was stuffed with a mild wintry cold, I chose not to wear Dzongkha because I, too, felt a vinegary edge to the scent. It also behaves differently on fabric than it does on skin.

A must-try; and don’t be afraid of the initial intensity.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Stronger than most L’Artisan scents, it is very definitely Far Eastern, somehow dry and yet watery-green, with a melancholy iris, tea notes, some incense and definite cardamom. While this is not for me (I prefer Timbuktu), I admire it. It’s an amazing achievement to bring us an Eastern temple in this fashion. If you’re a fan of tea notes or iris, this is recommended. You won’t find too many people wearing it - it was a completely new scent to me, I’ve never smelled it on anyone else. It gets stronger the longer it stays on, as the notes are warmed by the skin, and it’s very persistent. Fans of Chinatown, will recognise the smoky tea notes! Not a blind buy, but a must-try :)

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Magnificent. Dry, a bit bitter, a bit smooth. Rooty, but soft and enveloping iris, enveloped on delicate incense, and anchored by dry yet somehow green woods. An understated masterpiece.

There are similarities to Bois Farine, Tam Dao, as well as 28 La Pausa, the first ones for the dry wood rendition and the latter for the soft rooty iris.

curious_t
curious_t

I bought this fragrance because it reminds me of being in an incense filled temple in Bhutan. Just inhaling this brings back such wonderful memories that I had always wanted to own a bottle. The leathery, woodsy, spicy incense starts out somewhat brightly and softens as the day progresses.

It is definitely a smoldering scent that seems more masculine initially, as the incense and spice fades a light warm flower blooms.

Love this, could be part of my regular rotation.

Kellai
Kellai

"Dzongkha" is what i speak and "Gho" is what i wear. The Gho for male and Kira for female is the dress code of my nation which i shud say is one of the unique costumes of the universe. Now i am pleased say i can wear the real Bhutanese aroma.
i am anticipating to see L`Artisan Parfumeur's Dzongkha in the land where it has derived the name. i will be waiting till it reach our (now i share it with "
"dzongkha") hearty motherland.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Dzongkha is fun-it deserves to be fun, with a name like that, so I'm happy for it. It reminds me of a trip down a cold river in late spring.

The opening reminds me of a fast-forward tour of its cousin, Dzing!, complete with a fleeting breath of cardboard. But the opening is really spicy, like an orange incense, and woody, and it also smells of clover and a bit like clover honey. Then I get a slightly sour woodiness and a lovely wet smell like a cool mossy stone at the edge of a cold stream. The dry down is leather iris, very chilly.

I wore this all day yesterday, woke up still smelling iris, and wore it all day again today. Terrific longevity and nice sillage, too. A wonderful perfume if you delight in observing a perfume's evolution over time.

hisuinomadoromi
hisuinomadoromi

This perfume is similar to Hermes fragrances. However, refinement of Hermes is replace the earthiness of the magical and begin generating, in there exists a real taste of the Dzongkha. The smell of soil,the scent of wood, wind,the secret incense and euphoria of the eternal, all vividly standing smell from this bottle.. That's great

alex_finance
alex_finance

Nice wood, wet moss in a Tibetan monastery !

This is what I felt when smelled it for the first time. perhpas it was the tonka beans...

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

This is really similar to Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche.

EdGB is more linear, while the notes in Dzongkha develop from hour to hour.

EdGB is more bitter, stronger; Dzongkha is more floral and balsamic.

Personally, I prefer the later!

Both are soft and transparent, very elegant.

-AlmondBreakfast-

-RJ-seventh
-RJ-seventh

Like a cucumber pickle - strong dill seeds, red chilly, sugar, pepper and blackcurrant leaves.

ranchorita
ranchorita

When I first put this on, it reminded me of a much nicer version of Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene, but not for long. Within a few hours I maybe smelled a very faint skin scent, and not much else.

Melyche
Melyche

Leather is one of the notes that I'm currently trying. I am very open-minded and try to discover new scents as much I can; but truthfully I never get along with leather as a note and have usually ended up hating it. However, this one is different. I like it.
I can definitely smell leather. Very noticeable and didn't bother me a lot.
The combination of leather, iris and vetiver works amazingly. Like a team work. Leather and iris balance out each other so well that it's neither overwhelmingly powdery nor sharp. Vetiver assists them creating freshness. These are the most I get. I believe, each note has a little touch on this scent.
I don't think it's not too peppery. Moreover, that's quite unisex to me. When I wear some fragrance that I find masculine, I either dislike it or like it but I feel like I'm wearing some men's cologne. That didn't happen with this one. I enjoyed smelling it on my skin even though my actual taste is a way different. Long story short, if I like this, I bet, leather fans would love it.

Dzongkha is a delightful fragrance it's dry, spicy, slightly smokey and above all unique. The first thing I got from it was the earthy spice and vetiver combo which put me in mind of another Bertrand Duchaufour creation for L'Artisan, Timbuktu. Then the main note for me is tea and cardamom it's a strained english tea right in the heart of the fragrance quite rough though still refreshing.
But wait! Yet another transition in the dry down...All the spice fades to the back and a soft iris with a touch of leather appears more prominent.
I deliberately had no prior knowledge of the components of this fragrance and it was a welcome surprise to test my nose with something so easily decipherable.
I really like this fragrance it's so manly and interesting and honestly was a relief after a few disappointments from this house.

bronstein
bronstein

I agree that at first sniff this one seems to be similar to Timbuktu, but this is not even half of the story. While Timbuktu remains heavy and dominant for a very long time (even weeks, if a drop lands on your jacket), this one develops into a dryer and more discreet fragrance. Compare both after one hour, and you won't find them similar!

Judging on its own, it's a subtle and "green" fragrance that may be worn by men of any age and style.

****

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Dzongkha starts out deliciously. Immediately I get the iris and incense surrounded by all these resinous and spicy notes. Please see my update at the bottom on how Dzongkha went from "like" to "love".

I find all the listed notes (i.e. leather, vetiver, cardamom, tea, iris, peony, cedar and lychee) loveable. I smell some more than others. So no dislike here. However, there is this one note, which I deduct must come from the catch-all "spices" bucket, that gives Dzongkha a little vegetable vibe. I wish Dzongkha had a little less of it. I can understand how some reviewers here get a "soup" or "tomato" scent out of this composition. However, this scent tones down after 1 hour or so and what remains is heavenly to me.

In the dry down I smell a little vetiver which gives Dzongkha a woody character. A little cedar and papyrus also join the vetiver to give Dzongkha a soft woody backdrop.

Dzongkha is exotic, unique and attractive. It shares certain DNA with Timbuktu (they both created by the same parfumeur who gave them a similar dry down of vetiver and incense). However, while Timbuktu is fully blessed with unblemished beauty from birth its sister Dzongkha's beauty is partly blemished by this one vegetable scent.

I may have to try Dzongkha a couple of times more to figure if this is one of those cases where love develops over time...but definitely is a "like"

**********************
UPDATE: I now adore this fragrance, so much that I decided to buy a bottle. I'd love to have it in my collection permanently. I don't know if it was a matter of first impression or the original sample I had, but the vegetable vibe is no more and I can enjoy much better the gamut of delicious and exotic scents in this composition. I decided to keep the original impression as written originally above followed by this UPDATE to send the message of "retry it, give it a second chance" to those who experience a similar first impression like mine.

bluektq
bluektq

Bought this one on my last trip to Paris, it was on sale and the sales person told me that it is gonna be discontinued.
The initial spray smells medicinal and kinda cloying (I guess it's from the peony and the spices), but the dry-down is simply amazing, it's green and woody. 7 hours later I still can smell it on my arms, It becomes sweet & incense-y, very comforting.
The longevity & the silage is really good. I'm glad I bought this.

judyk
judyk

Initially - strong, earthy vetiver, sweet iris powder and cardamom. Quite masculine. After a couple of hours - the vetiver is still there but wrapped in a lovely fresh floral note, and there's a more general spiciness. I wouldn't call it peony, but I hesitate to say it's litchi because a) I have no idea what litchi smells like and b) it's at the bottom of the main notes rankings. :-)

I like both halves of the fragrance, which for me last about 2 hours each. Longer would be a bonus but it is an edt after all.

GuanYin2013
GuanYin2013

@id (previous poster) laments absence of iris notes in Dzongkha. How fascinating it is that (presumably) the same fragrance is so different to two people! All I can smell is overwhelming iris.

Dzongkha opens with a blast of just two notes: cedar drenched in iris. I assume iris and cedar notes are cheap to replicate because they seem to appear everywhere in contemporary fragrances. Cedar I can tolerate although smelling like a school pencil, even a freshly-sharpened pencil, is of limited appeal to me. Iris I loathe. It evokes such a strong revulsion that it is literally nauseating. Iris, to me, smells like putrefaction. I shudder, just shudder.

After some time in purgatory while the iris burns off my skin, I arrive at a place which is quite nice but rather faint - too faint to be a full-blown heaven so maybe a kind of limbo? This burn-down is so well-blended I cannot readily name individual notes but I think I sense a flowery sweetness like wild flower honey, some smoky oiliness which could be dark-roasted coffee, a bit of frankincense, and citrusy crushed cardamum seeds. This is good but if I lift my nose a few centimetres from my skin I can smell nothing, nothing.

Wealthy British aristocrats used to hire others to wear their shoes for the first few weeks to 'wear them in' and they would only wear the shoes after they have been softened to perfect comfort. Allegedly, this is still the case for the British royal family. I would like to be able to hire someone to wear the first hour of Dzongkha for me and I would be mildly happy to wear it after that.

I blind-bought Dzongkha because in reviews it was likened to Timbuktu (which I love). Alas it does not smell very much like Timbuktu. If I can tough out the first hour of reeking iris then something very interesting appears which I like but because it is so faint when it appears it is not rewarding enough to make me want to wear this often. If I could remove the iris and then turn up the volume on all the other notes, I think I would love this as much as Timbuktu.

id
id

I've expected something different from the notes I see listed. I feel spices, incense, leather and vetiver. But where is the note of iris that I love? Still nice (even I wouldn't buy a full bottle), lasts about 6 hours and sits close to the skin. I highly recommend to test before buying.

antfarm
antfarm

Like all L'Artisans on my skin, this one was an hour of something interesting and wonderful that quickly faded into nothingness.

So I'll review the first hour--this went on my skin smelling like rain on a summer sidewalk. It smelled both cool and hot at the same time. I could almost see the steam from the rain rising up off the sidewalk and the hoods of cars--giving some relief to a hot and humid summer's day.

I wish this one would have lasted longer. L'Artisans always depress me with their genius, interesting scents that don't last.

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

I just had my first full wearing with Dzonghka and these are just my first impressions.

Welcome to scandinavian health care. Beginning smells like a finnish hospital. Maybe it's something that they use to disinfect everything.

Then it's already a lunch hour in hospital. Today they are serving minced meat soup.

I don't qet all those notes said hear. Mostly just incense and iris. I find Dzonghka quite hard to wear in the beginning. First impression is sweetened cardboard, but after a while it gets too flowery and feminine for my taste.

After first hours Dzonghka gets more mellow and I like it a lot. It still has some weird medical wibe, but it starts to feel more spiritual and unisex.

Dzonghka plays same game as Timbuktu, but only in lower league. Passage d'Enfer is a another player in this incense lite genre. I can see some resemblance with L'Eau de froide by Serge Lutens too, but I prefer L'Artisan.

Joe1717
Joe1717

I like it! Is like been in a Nepali monastery, smelling the wood, incense and peace from the best of the budism! More for a man than a woman, be prepare to impress everybody with this charismatic fragance

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I tried this today and kept thinking I know this fragrance, it is so familiar. It is exactly like a vintage, but what is it? Then it hit me, it's like the opening of Je Reviens, except it never really goes to the soft feathery drydown that the original Je Reviens had. I am not a fan of this. There are many other superior niche fragrances out there.

dkny27
dkny27

As a child, we used to vacation in the Catskill Mountains.... This scent brings me back to those mornings, the ponds, the outdoors, with a heavy spicy opening..... Uniquely sharp, then followed by powdery iris. Could be an intriguing men's scent for sure.....

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Beautiful Fragrance, which seem to last a good time - the opening is extremely unique , it is indeed quite complex and beautiful - I'll give it 8/10 the only dislike is it reminds a little bit of Terre D'Hermes (although much much better) and i get a little bit of "indian rose water vibe" just a tad - but its not going to stop me from buying this beauty.

Unlike other reviewers i get very little leather in this fragrance (as opposed to the note pyramid), i smell loads of indian cardamom (squashed) with spices and incense which seems to be infused with a good quality rose-water like substance with just a hint of smoke, but :
This is not a smokey incense affair, Imagine entering a Himalayan Temple a few hours after the rituals are over (everyone has left but you sitting there alone and basking in its charm in solitude but still surrounded by the ceremonial chaos which just preceded you)

Well done Bertrand Duchafour!

Smelling unusual enough fragrance!

Most of all I feel the papyrus, leather and vetiver notes in it. It smells rather delicate than intensive. It's even a little bit dry and strict in its dry-down. And it's not sweet.

I like it! Especially, I like that the notes pyramid is unusual enough. I really like when noses behind the fragrances use their imagination and create something unique and not typical. Unfortunately, nowadays there are too many perfumes and many of them smell simple enough and even remind other fragrances in general or by some notes combinations, and people who create them have no shame to call themselves "noses", too, making the obvious plagiarism and talentless creations. I guess that such kind of creators and brands that launch them love money much more than good reputation. There are not so many notes, but after sniffing many nowadays fragrances, it seems that there are enough notes and some creators just have no imagination or even talent to mix them and to create something unusual. I'm glad that this fragrance is not like those fragrances, it's complex and quite unique. I respect much more such kind of fragrances.

Really good fragrance! The idea of it is really interesting.

Kamicha
Kamicha

Oh dear, from the notes I expected to love this, but what I get out of it is

a) A general olfactory impression of expensive private hospital. Not completely repulsive, but not particularly inviting, either. Oh, I can smell that lunch trolley in the hall, too, celery soup with bland spices...

b) The worst iris note ever. If you want to smell like wilted grated carrots, go for it.

Baldric
Baldric

Not just celery, but cooked celery. An odd little fume, i almost like it, but just can't do it. I like the sound of Duchaufour's fragrances, but I have yet to find one that I like on me. Considering he is responsible for at least 23 different perfumes in the last 16 months, I am sure there is something of his out there for me . . . Seriously, 23 in 2011-2012( it is now May)

hyblaean
hyblaean

celery! yes, that is it exactly.
and not that it's a bad scent, but if I was going to pick a garden scent to go with, my preference would be tomato vine.
Waiting for the miraculous dry down on this one...it's taking it's time. Still celery, baby powder, spice cabinet going headache strong 1/2 hour in (which is incredibly rare on my hot, oily skin) So, lasting power is phenomenal.
--------------------
...just weird. Perfume Court, where I bought this in a sampler of Milk Notes, has it listed as containing: spices, incense, tea and milk. Spices, sure, as long as celery salt is the main spice, the rest?
This is such a funky scent. I'm sure it's someone's hg. For me though it's going in the recycle to friends pile- a little too 'comfort soup' smelling to wear and feel sexy.

garamascara
garamascara

I too ordered this from the L’Artisan half price sale and then I read the review below that described it smelling like tomato soup and chili powder. When the perfume arrived I spritzed and did think it smelled very foodie, like smoked paprika, and I was disappointed. Then later that evening I read the positive review in The Guide and then another one on Now Smell This and both of those reviews focused on the iris. So, the next day I decided to give Dzong a second chance and this time focus on the iris. It worked, on my second wearing all I smelled was smokey iris and I like it much better. I sprayed some on my mother this weekend and walked around with her and she smelled divine really.

This has taught me that maybe it’s not a good idea to read reviews before purchasing because the power of persuasion is really powerful. You read all these other people’s opinions and it is impossible to not let it shape your own. I love reading perfumes reviews but I may try to hold off until I’ve formed my own opinion first.

sf2explus
sf2explus

My review of this scent is that, it starts off very sharp and clean slightly incensy giving you the impression its going to be a Timbuktu second part. But no wait it dries down to chili powder and tomato soup on skin. I have to agree with Sweetandspicy's review on this, it does become vegetal in the drydown and freshly chopped pepper. Now the scent's note line up may not be telling you about the freshly chopped pepper or chilli but believe me when i tell you i do cook alot and use alot of indian spices so i know what im smelling here. My advise is dont be fooled by the clean semi incense opening, that i'm afraid does not last longer than an hour at most before you become a walking pepper salad thats been in the chiller.
I find the chilli scent stays on skin for a very long time sorry not my style but i can see there's quite a following by others just my opinion. sillage is good and lasts typically 6-8 houurs on skin and the chopped pepper part can stay till next morning.

Scent 7.5/10

Singabera
Singabera

It's spicy, but not hot spicy as in Opium, but dry.
Not a hint of sweetness...
It reminds me of Baiser du Dragon Cartier.
Will be good in hot summer day, probably...

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

Strong,sharp,shocking opening to this fragrance.been looking forward to wearing this for some time but my reaction to doing so is repulsion.the herbs cum spices combination makes this hard for me to enjoy.

I have no idea where and when to wear this one.And there's an ambivalence to this for me:it's listed as unisex and yes, I can see women with balls-and yes,there are a few in my enclave-pulling this off.the top notes give you the impression,only men should dare but then as it dies down time it reveals a softness that makes you think it's not suited for a man but more for a woman so I guess it's up to the disposition of the wearer.I think given the overall appeal it will be more suited to an older woman.Grannies should find this appealing.Youngsters will be repelled so will make for some uniqueness.

It's very long lasting,linear and can induce headaches easily when over-applied and when worn in the wrong season.yes,the incense and spices do mellow with time but still remain the bitter focus of this mix.

Will never recommend this to be bought blind.try first and braze yourself for an olfactory overload.

I always love challenges and will wear a fragrance for a long time to get used to it and with time love it.this one will be an exception.Thank you L'Artisan but no,thanks.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Pardon my language, but I'm PISSED that I bought this blindly. What's all this talk about incense, cardamom, etc.? It starts out smelling like rubber, then becomes woody like the scent of water-logged birch and spicy like a habanero pepper; then it dries down into something zesty and vegetal that is identical to a bar of Burt's Bees tomato soap mixed with a little Irish Spring.

I hate this perfume. One of the worst I've tried in a long time, and definitely the worst blind purchase I've ever made.

xabaras
xabaras

Strangely, the first thing my nose gets immediately after spraying is iris. So lovely, sweet and delicious that I exclaimed "oh my god, it's so good! this is mom's fragrance of my childhood!". Then it changes: it becomes dry after about ten minutes and the cardamom takes over and makes it completely different, spicy, delicate spice, crispy. I love it! I kept on sniffing my wrists, and all of a sudden all I could smell was peppercorn, and after a while I was in the mood for a nice delicate curry. And I am not even so much in love with curry. So I find this is a very well developed, interesting, dry fragrance.

Camin
Camin

My cat Wabi LOVES this. Usually cats recoil from perfume but she even reached up and grabbed my hand so she could smell my wrist again. Not sure why! I don't like it as much as she does--it's a bit too sweet for me. I definitely get incense and cardamom--kind of like sweetened chai tea. Cardamom is used a lot in Indian sweets and I find it overwhelming and a little sickening. To me Dzongkha is provocative, intriguing, but a little overwhelming. Kind of like going into a Hindu temple--fascinating, but I'm kind of eager to get away after a little while. I wouldn't wear this but I am glad I tried it. I'd probably like a candle or home scent like this, in small doses.

njyogachick
njyogachick

Many other reviewers have described this much better than I can, but I don't smell "notes" when I wear Dzongkha, but I immediately get the mental picture of a temple with burning incense in smooth river stones. Not for the faint-nosed or for the unadventurous 'fume lover. I don't know if I would purchase it again since L'Artisan is a very pricey brand and I would love to try their other scents.

AkimiOneko
AkimiOneko

I just tried this today and it smells like the most beautiful Thai green curry. Normally I'm not too much for iris scents, but it has been used just right here. I agree with the 'velvety' statement. Wonderful stuff and completely unlike my usual favourites. I will have to test it properly at a later time.

fragoleconcrema
fragoleconcrema

Smoky, enticing, and amazingly long-lasting - those are the keywords to describe Dzongkha. Even though it's listed as unisex, I grudgingly admit this is more of a masculine fragance. Nevertheless - or, fortunately? - that's the kind of perfume that suit me best, and it really is amazing each and every time I wear it.

JToronto
JToronto

I recently returned from Bhutan. Dzongha is their national language. I compliment the makers of this perfume, because it really does smell like the characteristic Buddhist temples high in the Himalayas of Bhutan. I love this scent; it is my everyday favourite. It lasts forever on my skin but radiates only slightly, so I can enjoy it without overwhelming those around me (which can be a problem with some spicy fragrances). For me it has a very soft element which I find very feminine (probably it is the woody element - I also love Chanel's Bois des Iles). It's certainly not for the "flowery" girl, but I would not relegate it to men only. It's classified as a unisex. I feel it's very appropriate for the professional woman who wants to be taken seriously.

Heverton
Heverton

This one opens up with rich spices, accompanied by a faint/velvety tone of orris mixed with a hint of vetiver. Amazing!

Trough time, the velvety aspect tones down and the spicy combo becomes even more prominent, now combined with leather and a hint of incense.

Anyway, a very good scent that truly captures the Buddhist temples aura with a good longevity and projection.

lucyredshoes
lucyredshoes

I cannot get over the blast of celery in the opening that permeates throughout the scent's entire journey and hangs on until the end of the line with an iron grip.

logicmuppet
logicmuppet

I stumbled across a Wikipedia article that said:

"Dzongkha, occasionally Ngalopkha, is the national language of Bhutan.[1] The word "dzongkha" means the language (kha) spoken in the dzong, – dzong being the fortress-like monasteries established throughout Bhutan by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal in the 17th century."

Bhutan is a country in the Himalayas that borders India and China. I had wondered where the word "Dzongkha" came from, and now I know!

Karuna
Karuna

Dzongkha is not only the smell, it is a complete landscape.
It is a crystal clear, cool mountain air, which weaves in a subtle, herbal smoke, from a tiny fire, over which in a sooty pot an aromatic tea is brewing. Complemented with the smell of ashes, warm stones, and the aroma of peony, iris and sparkling drop of dew on the spider's web.
Lungs greedily catch every breath of lucidly clear air.
Silence, broken only by the beating of the heart, filled with happiness ....

Absolut fragrance.
Olfactory recollection of the next life.

Helsinki
Helsinki

Mnaonfrag, Dzongkha is far from a hospital smell. It's sharp, yes, but the herbs and incense and spices make it really pleasant to wear. You will be heard and smelt when wearing Dzongkha. To me, it was a joy to be introduced to this scent. Unisex? Absolutely.

trax
trax

Started out as peppery sage with a hint of tobacco and a tiny sweet something in the background. Dried down to white pepper over freshly crushed nettles! Lots and lots of freshly crushed nettles..
Kind of feel like I've gone to nettle crushing garden-war.
Lasts and lasts on my skin.
For reference I get the same crushed nettles and sage feel from Bois d'Ombrie, but in Bois it is mixed in with sharp blackcurrant skins.

hollycat

I agree with some of the reviewers here that this scent is better suited for a man.

It goes on woodsy and spicy, with absolutly no florals that I can detect. When it dries down its a very dry, slightly bitter sandalwood scent, although sandalwood doesnt seem to appear in the notes.

Very linear. Wears close to the skin.

I do find it has a peaceful feeling to it. Wood scents are very zen to me. I will use and enjoy my sample.

scentous
scentous

gave it to my husband immediately, not a woman's perfume..but a unique one for a man..very sharp and does not get smooth by time, spices and incense, I don't get the leather much..assertive but different..longevity is not so good

What happens when you mix leather, incense, and oil-soluble spices such as cardamom, along with a few assorted woody elements and flower petals? Answer: L'Artisan Parfumeur DZONGKHA, a thick, warm, and heavy composition with excellent longevity and good sillage.

In this contest of strong notes, leather does not win, as I might have predicted. Instead, I find that the incense really dominates DZONGKHA, but the leather combined with the incense mingle with wood and cardamom in the drydown, leaving little room for anything else. The tea, peony and iris do not manage to break through as self-assertive notes, at least not to my nose, but perhaps they temper the mix a bit.

DZONGKHA offers a subtler presentation of leather, somewhat ironically tempered by a very dark incense note, but both abide throughout the life of this scent, resting upon cedar in the end. Even in the edt concentration, this heady mix hits me not as a fragrance but as a perfume. I recommend DZONGKHA to oriental lovers for wintertime wear.

guest_Man on the go
guest_Man on the go

I have sampled many after shave/eau de toilette versions of most major brands - spraying a good amount in the hand and splashing on the face. Wrong. This fragrance was completely overwhelming. It felt like having my head stuck in an olifactory cloud. I couldn´t wait to get home and wash it off my face. A month later, something got me to try it again. This time I applied it sparingly...and absolutely fell in love with it. Wow!

hollycat

Woody scents are so grounding and soothing. This one is perfect for that purpose, however, I dont find this perfume to be a versatile one. All the other notes get dominated by the wood and spicy notes. The olfactory description is perfect:Woody Spicy. And thats exactly what I get. I think a man would wear this one better. I find this very masculine. Usually my skin can femminize unisex frags. Not this time.

adrienn99
adrienn99

i adore woody fragrances. And incense i luvvvvvv. This one is lovely but to me it only shows its masculinity, so i would not wear it. But i can imagine a man wearing this, wow, it would be a major turn on for me!

Adrien02
Adrien02

What a wonderful unisex fragrance for those who adore woody incence blends. I could not detect any peony, not that it isn't there. I am overwhelmed by the wonderful mastery of incense and florals. If I could rub incense like patchouli,sandalwood,Night Queen and Nag Champa on my skin with a dash of florals as a perfume it would smell like this. It instantly puts me in a good mood and makes me feel so mellow.
It will be one of my go-to fragrances for destressing after a long day. It
is a wonderful aromatherapy fragrance to go with a good massage and Zen music.

Gosha
Gosha

I like Mandi's description that this is like "green wood". I agree. It is very spicy, but not in the "usual way spicy" (as in cinnamon or ginger), this is somehow more incensey, smokey, leathery and the spices are somehow almost like "cooking spices", at times it very lightly reminds me of soup or some vegetable dish. :-D It is quite unusual, for some maybe even strange, but I would definitely not say that it's not for women or that it's only for mature women! I can very easily imagine that this would suit to young girls also (some of them, that is)!
I also agree that in spite of the strange spiciness Dzongkha is somehow peaceful fragrance.
I quite like it, but would not pay for it. :-)

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

Those who like this fragrance please excuse me, but for me it's awful ((((
It reminds me a peppery strong edc for man that one of my coursemates used when I was an university student.
Dzhongkha scent makes me cough. If it is for woman than only for very mature woman. But I think it's mostly for man.

mandi
mandi

This fragrance begins with an almost shocking blast of spices, which mercifully loses some of its initial potency after about 30 minutes.

At this point the woods take center stage but they are not dried or what carpenters call 'seasoned woods' but instead they are green, like freshly hewn lumber - in my country we have a type of wood called Green Heart, that is what i smell.

Thus, this fragrance is at once woody, fresh and spicy. I like it very much.

Maoocha
Maoocha

I Love this scent! I smell woods woods and wood! with incense, hay/grass and a musty antique smell. It's like the smell of the breeze near the woods by the riverside. If not for the ovewhelming price tag, I would have bought a huge bottle of this instantly! Light and subtle, nobody would have expected it's lasting power to be so good.This lasted for more than 6 hours. A beautiful relaxing comfort scent.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

When I sampled Dzongkha, I forgot why I had been interested in it originally, and assumed that it was going to be an "oriental" scent. It starts out sharp, synthetic, and undifferentiated. During the first few minutes the scent changes markedly as various notes pop out, one or several at a time. There’s a raw leather scent, together with something powdery - maybe iris? Then some incense creeps in and stays there, together with the iris-scented leather. Later it’s joined by a slightly spicy note. It’s an interesting progression in which notes chime in one at a time, adding to the harmony, making it more complex. There’s a slightly warmer phase that lasts for a few hours and has quite a bit of sillage, but the iris-powder-leather scent is always there as a major part of the composition. I first tried the scent early this morning, then reapplied it in the afternoon because I wanted to experience it again. It’s different from anything else that I’ve tried, and after the initial few minutes I like it a lot. I think it’s something that I’d wear when I want to feel cool, classy, and a little eccentric.

Now that I read the notes, I see that I was not too far off, but I really don't smell any peony in it. Or maybe the "peony" is the unpleasant synthetic note at the beginning. I have no idea what papyrus smells like, so don't know if I smelled it or not.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Not bad. Incense with lots of pivoine.
Good but not great. I wouldn't buy a bottle.

edit: I like it now.

hapa
hapa

This is a sexy fragrance in a more traditional sense. The spices, cardamon and incense really jump out at me. It isn't a bad fragrance nor is it a memorable one. This fragrance smolders but never turns into a full-fledged fire nor does it ever go out. There is a warmth emanating from it and maybe that is because it is familiar and makes one feel comfortable. However, it never really goes anywhere nor is itremarkable in any way. I guess it is a bottled version of treading water...

Trvevil
Trvevil

My second L'Artisan.. I did not test this on my skin, but on paper. I even don't know if that's what I want on skin. Very true- a real spicy woody fragrance. Smells like we're resting in our vegetable garden (in my country they were very popular- a little place where you could grow your stuff (vegetables etc.) and spend weekends or stuff. There also often was a little house you could sleep in if you stayed for days. In late 90's and early 00's many ppl us included had picnics in vegetable gardens and made shasclick (lol or shish kebab in other word)). So Dzongkha smells like inside of that little wooden house while someone also makes something scrumptious (meat!!). Spices, something like roast, and woods that a bit suffered from humidity- that's my Dzongkha.
In fact I think also of tatar warriors preparing meal after battle when i smell this. I like this very much as a distinctive olfactive experience.

the_good_life
the_good_life

An obnoxious fabric-softener floral paired with the essential-oil smell of my all natural tick-repellent. The latter is actually nicer - and repels ticks, so I'll pass on L'Artisan's offering.

essija
essija

This smells like Peppered Chicken on my skin, it actually hurts my eyes, don't know why I'm not liking it like everyone else, sorry this has to go!

so unusual, Dzongkha expresses serenity, meditation, strenght of mind, focus, a personal sweetness without being frilly. It also reminds me of open spaces, free wandering, free mind.
I really enjoy to wear a few drops at home while relaxing. It's not a scent I would wear to a romantic date or even in everyday life close to other people.

Auguszta
Auguszta

Unlike most people I know, I don't find this uncomfortable at all. It may be unusual, but it's also a very relaxing and peaceful fragrance. In fact, I've noticed this is a scent that helps me to pull myself together and keep my head clear.

Unfortunately, I don't get any of the Scotch whiskey that the other reviewers mention. What I do get depends on the day, really. On a good day I get dry spices, peony, incense and PAPYRUS! - have you ever heard of a combo like that? It's original and totally unique. It's piquant, it's mature, it almost utters the words 'I know who I am and what I like, thanky you.'
A giant plus: unlike many L'Artisans, it has excelent staying power.

knightz
knightz

I get a "Pinch" or "Haig & Haig" Scotch note in the opening. It's a strong note and it hangs around for a long time. The heart is spice and flowers. A very light incense comes up from the base. Very unique.

Dzongkha is about third on my list of L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances I want, I have tried 10. The smell of scotch whiskey, however fine it is, is not a priority scent for me right now, but I really like this one. Surely it smells, to others, as though one has been drinking, so please don't Dzongkha and drive.

I get oversharp black pepper, cardamom and dried leaves. It starts sharp on me and stays that way, never mellowing into anything I can wear. It's not nasty, but neither is it pleasant.

Urban Skies
Urban Skies

This fragrance is definitely not for everyone -- please sample it before buying it! I didn't like it in the first few minutes (the top notes smelled overwhelmingly like Scotch whisky and leather). But as it developed on the test strip and on my skin, more of the complex woods, incense, spice, and floral notes blossomed and I fell head over heels in love. It is by far my most favorite fragrance right now. It gives me a deep sense of hope, inspiration, and inner peace, which is how I would describe true "wealth". To me, Dzongkha is both sophisticated and serene.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Dzongkha by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Dzongkha by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.