Designers » L » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Fou d`Absinthe L`Artisan Parfumeur for men

Fou d`Absinthe by L`Artisan Parfumeur is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Fou d`Absinthe was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Olivia Giacobetti. Top notes are black currant, angelica and wormwood; middle notes are ginger, patchouli, pepper, nutmeg, star anise and cloves; base notes are balsam fir, incense and pine tree needles.

Black Currant Angelica Wormwood

Ginger Patchouli Pepper Nutmeg Star Anise Cloves

Balsam Fir Incense Pine Tree Needles

Spiced Absinth

Fou d`Absinthe Fragrance Reviews

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

I don't see myself enjoying this. It's too green for my taste. Not a huge macho green like Polo but a bit more delicate. It's a strange scent. I would imagine somebody that does voodoo would smell like this. It's got an old school vibe that I dislike. I think if it added vetiver it would be nicer but who am I? If you are thinking of blind buying please sample it 1st!

freakypirate
freakypirate

Testing from a sample (dabber):

Fou d'Absinthe starts with lots of dark greens, star anise, wormwood and a tiny bit of cloves. The scent then progresses and the fir becomes more apparent. The wormwood stays throughout and the star anise fades in and out of the fragrance. I smell a bit of rubber, and a bit of incense too. The drydown has a sweet base.

This scent reminds me of a walk in the woods, those calm and quiet pine tree woods where an abundance of bushes and herbs like wormwood and angelica grow in their shadows. The scent of those herbs is captured in this fragrance.

As a woman, I could definitely wear this, not for everyday though.

Lana148
Lana148

This might not be the novelty smell and perhaps there are other fragrances on a market similar to this, but I like it a lot, just the way it is, and would love to smell it on a man.

I read the comments below and seems like ladies like this fragrance more then guys. So, boys, listen to girls and wear what we want :)!

marioslg3
marioslg3

i was thinking of this for some months but as the price was relatively high and never smelled the juice, i was not sure whether to take the risk and buy it or not....but finally i did it. i read a lot of reviews about it and as Victoria from bois de Jasmin suggested it to me some months ago (as my taste muches hers) i bought it.
The initial spray is something like alcoholic drink, forestee, like a christmas tree as mentioned by some guys indeed...although not rated too high, i see that the blackcurrant is one of the major players for me, together with pine needles and fir balsmam. The overall reault is a fruity forest tree, strictly masculine and traditionally manly. The blackcurrant gives depth to the perfume and some sweetness. If you like old power houses like Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, Tsar etc, this is of the same school but taylored to today's fashion and not being old fashioned at all. Personaly i like it, i love it, from the alcoholic first sniff to the drydown....it is not a light perfume, it has normal power and longevity of 8 or more hours but closer to the skin. Generally is a happy perfume, very well blended but not unique as Dzing! is from the same house. Having tried a lot from L'artisan, this together with Dzing!, L'Eau and Timbuktu are among the best offerings for me.

jtd
jtd

I should admit up front that I have a bias toward Olivia Giacobetti's work.  I don't think of her as strictly a formalist by any means, but she uses technique as the springboard to surpass form.  Her perfumes take you a certain distance into the recognizable, spin you around and then leave you to your own devices.

e.g.  Safran Troublant gives you a confectionery rose with a surprising hint of saffron. Just when you're at the point of reconciling these ideas, you're adrift. By the time you're in the heart notes you've left behind food and flower and find yourself accompanied by something else entirely, something you've never witnessed before.  Similarly, by the time you make out the lily and the incense in Passage d'Enfer, they've given way to a third presence, again something completely new.

Fou d'Absinthe takes an identifiable trope, the fougère, pays full respect to it, and then dispenses with it.  The first sniffs of the perfume paint the picture of the fougère in full. Soapy, herbal, expansive.  It has the broad strokes, large gestures and great strides of the classic aromatic fougères. It sits comfortably with Azzaro pour Homme, YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme and especially Paco Rabanne pour Homme.

Into the heart notes, though, the form dissolves, though the perfume remains perfectly coherent. It seems appropriate that the genre that set the course for abstraction in perfumery gets taken apart, deconstructed. The ur-Fougère, Houbigant Fougère Royale, was a result of the thinking employed in other abstract arts: reduction of ideas to definitive characteristics, representation without depiction or narrative. Giacobetti again takes form, in this case the whopping fougère genre, tries it on for a bit and then moves on. I don't get a sense of irony in her method. It's more the joy of finding new beauty in well-worn form.

Fou d'Absinthe also happens to smell spectacular. You don't need to scrutinize it.  Like wearing an exceptional piece of jewelry, you can contemplate it or you can simply take pleasure in wearing it. The combination of simple beauty and depth of idea is characteristic of Giacobetti's work and is the outcome of her use of form as a means of inspiration and not an end goal.

If you're ever confronted with the question of whether perfumery is art, try the side-door and look to the perfumer. Is there any doubt that Giacobetti is an artist?

Hoxx
Hoxx

This is one of more restrained deliveries from L'Artisan, as it doesn't seem too original or groundbreaking.

The opening is mainly about absinthe with some added earthiness from angelica and a bit of patchouli. This is a part of the fragrant evolution I like the most, as it is quite natural-smelling without being too in-your-face green. Later the patchouli and spices heart bridges that same absinthe, or wormwood, to a somewhat familiar coniferous base. The base of this fragrance is about fir and pine, and that is a bit standard, I'd say. It does mix with a whiff of incense to make it a bit more spiritual and a bit different as well, but still can be mistaken for a solid number of pine-centered perfumes.

Luckily for me, my skin keeps the wormwood note for a decent amount of time, as it can be spotted above some other notes for two or even three hours. After that, it's all fir-pine combo, and it prolongs the fragrance longevity for approximately four more hours. From that, it can be said that Fou d'Absinthe's longevity is solid, especially for L'Artisan, but it fails to project after an hour or so - it is quite a skin scent, which is strange for this combination of notes.

I see this perfume as a good choice for people with love for 80s style of perfumery, but with less audacity. Being that it's Olivia Giacobetti's work, I expected more, honestly. Still, Fou d'Absinthe is a solid green fragrance, but not among the best of the brand.

7,75/10

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Wow! All I hate in a man's fragrance!

I got a sample and applied it on my hand... I was instantly transported back to my teenage '80's : pimply boys with mutating voices, shady personal hygiene and way too much cologne applied to cover the pungent smell of young males in perpetual heat.

Fou d'absinthe has a split second of a saving's grace at the opening stage: the licorice absinthe smell is intriguing, but... It then develops into a cheap and generic wood smell: a Christmas tree with some spice.

I made my husband sniff the contaminated skin patch and he instantly recoiled. In his opinion, it smelled like a locker room. Obviously not something he finds appealing or sexy.

So, it's a big thumbs down.

nastyamason
nastyamason

Outstanding unisex beginning with fabulous absinthe scent but then turns into an obvious men's cologne. I actually bought this one because of evergreens notes which I love, however, here they are very masculine. Not bad but not a love. Nevertheless, it is an excellent cologne for men.

brightstar
brightstar

I usually don't like fougere/ fresh spicy fragrances, but this is incredible. Fou d'Absinthe is an high quality perfume, as the description says it's fresh and warm, there's pine and patchouli, and everything is so well blended. I don''t think this is a fragrance for men, I'm a woman and I love it. Another L'Artisan masterpiece. The only problem is weak sillage and longevity.

janjanjan
janjanjan

Lady on the lookout for a good absinthe fragrance with depth and darkness. L'Artisan brings the boots lacking in Nasomatto's take on the drink (which has a little mischief but is a lightweight). The opening is great, I get wormwood, anise, conifers. Then quickly after some warmer spices, which must be the nutmeg and ginger that another reviewer aptly called a touch of eggnog. It's very well made, but it also casts an overall sheen of "nice men's cologne". And while I happily venture into the realm of men's fragrance, I can't pull this off. Though I'll give it a positive review as a men's fragrance. Quite respectable longevity and sillage.

Instantly this smell provoked an emotional response...A rare moment in perfumery that genuinely moved me. Not only is this an amazing fragrance that is very masculine and hugely complex and interesting but somehow reminds me of the smell of my late father.
Strange really as he only used to wear dated classics in the vein of faberge brut or Fendi uomo...to name a couple and towards the end of his life he didn't wear anything but smelled exactly like this.
I got pine, moss wormwood and aniseed from the star anise. What a great herbal tonic this is almost menthol, medicated but soft at the same time.
Needless to say I love it and it smells like my pa so I can't help but love it.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

FdA is a herbal/spicy/woody fragrance. Very light and a bit of a skin scent despite being an EDP.

FdA is lovely and beautiful. It is fresh, sweet, herbal, and woody. I really like its smell. The initial spray is interesting. FdA may have well been called Fou de Pin (Pine) as pine hits me in a big way immediately. I also detect a combination of herbal and spicy notes, none of them standing out prominently over the others. However, the top scents retreat very quickly after 5 to 10 minutes. At that point, FdA goes herbal with the angelica and wormwood standing out (along w/ the pine backdrop). There is maybe a faint, almost imperceptible, sweet and very tamed patchouli in the mix at this point.

During the warmer season I get just a little of incense. However, in colder temperatures the incense note seems to standout more on me. I don't smell the black currants, the nutmeg, the clove or the ginger notes at all--maybe the are so well blended you I don't detect them distinctively.

After 4 hours, FdA goes skin on me. I really need to sniff hard on my skin after the 4th hour to smell it. Not what I expect from an Eau de Parfum.

This is a fragrance that will be forever in my collection. I wear it all year around. It is more suitable for daytime wear. Great for the office and casual occasions. It is totally unisex in my opinion, even though Fragrantica and LAP has classified it masculine.

christianne1
christianne1

Gosh I love this. It is absolutely heavenly. Fresh, clean, green and spicy with a touch of sweetness. Very well balanced and blended. Great for summer or winter because of the pine. May be made for men but I love it for me and feel it is completely unisex. Even if it isn't, I don't care, I am wearing it anyway. This puts a spring in my step and makes me feel happy. I would love smelling this on anyone!

Roge'
Roge'

If Irish Spring made a soap for women it would probably smell something like this. A friendly fragrance destined to be a signature scent for many, as well as a memento for the nostrils. This fougere boasts a big personality but is actually reserved in its delivery. In the end, Fou d' Absinthe turned out to be fugacious and within 4 hours it kinda disappears into the atmosphere. Whether that is a turn off or not will be totally up to you; otherwise enjoy the ride. It's good but short.

Fou D'Absinthe is one of those fragrances that while not having anything wrong with them, I'm still not completely compelled. It smells nice, extremely well balanced, polite but not too mannered...yet...

An aromatic fougere with green / dark green, bittersweet facets laying on a woody-incensey base with anisic undertones. A compliment getter, absolutely safe and versatile but probably a tad boring...

Like it but don't love it.

Rating: 6.5-7/10

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

Fougeres tend to be traditionally serious and brooding. This one an exception: sweet and happy fougere.

It isn't grand perfume, just a nice one. I have noticed that those bigger than life perfumes just collect dust in my collection and wait for special occasion. The nice perfumes get all the use.

It's a happy scent that makes me happy too when I wear it.

Scatje
Scatje

Finaly a Fougère without oakmoss in it. It's herbal and last long on my skin. In the dry down it becomes almost sweet and the anise (I think it's from the wormwood)smell stays the whole time. Like it, wearable for men and woman in my opinion because of the light sweetness. Good for office, a very destinguished sent

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

On my skin, it was simply a tangier version of the Angel EDT from Thierry Mugler. Patchouli, Patchouli, and more Patchouli, made tangier by the pine note.

It had a weird, citrusy, stale scent to it. I'm not a huge fan. My skin pretty much destroyed this fragrance, because it smelled BEAUTIFUL on the tester strip.

Absinthe smells better than this fragrance. This is all that I want to say about it. Not pleasant (and it's not, because I don't like the absinthe).

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

Sweet pleasurable opening notes, with nutmeg and anise. Wish it lasted a little longer. But it evolves quickly to pine and fir, softened nicely by incense and a hint of medicinal notes. I would wear this mostly in the fall and winter. Maybe not every day, but as a nice change of pace.

carlos.head
carlos.head

Boring green scent with a soft anisic tone , far from the real scent of absinth .

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Thank you Rosecat for sending me a vial of this to try. It's heading for 42 degrees today and the sun is blazing already, early in the morning. In preparation I showered early and decided to try this "cool" scent. It's great! Very herbal and refreshing,for a mature man or a brave woman (which I am not really). It's just a little too much on the masculine side for me to be comfortable wearing it as a staple, but I can see it is a lovely blend, the base notes are dominant for me with pungent pine, fir and pepper. I can't pick up any cloves or anise, thank goodness as I really don't like those notes. The sillage is moderate, and the longevity yet to be tested, although we are at about two hours and it is still going strong.

This brings to mind icicles hanging off a pine tree on a clear, cold, crisp winter morning, just what I need today!

Fou d'Absinthe is (yet another) L'Artisan masterpiece. As I applied the perfume, I kept thinking, Eggnog! Eggnog! There must be nutmeg in here! It seemed borderline gourmand. I could see myself at a Holiday party, cozied up in my cashmere sweater, smiling while pouring myself a cup of that delicious, creamy drink. The reason for all the exclamations is because although many perfumes claim to contain nutmeg, I have never once detected it in any perfume. There is always a "general spiciness", but never what I would call a clear note of nutmeg.

The nutmeg subsided quickly after the first spritz as the perfume became a blond,dry, woody scent, only for the woods to gently relax and allow the nutmeg to emerge transformed like a butterfly from a cocoon, this time flanked by its friends star anise and clove. At this point there is no hint of eggnog, no gourmand rumors, and the perfume settles into a classic fougere--woody, a little green, a little fresh, and a bit spicy. But throughout, NUTMEG is the twinkling star.

Fou d'Absinthe is a tad too masculine for my personal wear, which is a subjective quality that if you've read this far, you can already tell I will overlook. I fear I will never smell nutmeg this good again, and the fragrance is a masterpiece to boot. While it's perfect for Christmas, the fact that it's a quintessential fougere, not a spice bomb, makes it very easy to wear throughout the year. Another must for my collection (damn you, L'Artisan, there goes my budget for shoes and clothes again!).

LANIER
LANIER

Snow flakes like Lalique crystal lace falls on the city catching a glint of glitter from the Eiffel Tower search light as it sweeps the sky. There is a cool blotter paper grey tint in the East behind the Louvre, a herald of the coming day. Finely crafted Italian shoes crunch the icy sidewalk as I walk alone up the gentle rise that is the Champs-Élysées. The city is asleep on this Christmas morning. I pass Guerlain’s festive windows that cast a glow of amber on the snow banking around the door. On I go up toward the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile. Fouquet’s is closed and the red awnings flutter their scallops as I pass as if to wave me on. The street glints and sparkles, the naked sycamore trees festooned for the holiday in no more than a negligee of colored lights. It is all lonely and lovely and cold. Not where I should be on this Christmas day in Pairs. Not were I long to be.

The wheels of the cab spatter darkly stained snow up from the gutter as it carries me into Place Pigale. The spray hits the side of Le Cupidon nightclub as we spin past the multitude of “le sex shops” that line the Place then roar onto Rue Houdon. A few lights in the houses are on now as my cab snakes and turns north to the heart of Montmartre. Within moments I am released from the smoky cab onto the Rue de Cardinal Dubois. There it is only an angel’s fight of stairs above me, As I pull my overcoat close against the cold morning, Paris awakens behind me. Sacré-Cœur, its absinthe white walls meet the snow and melt the flakes to wash the sacred heart clean. I am almost there.

Once Behind the church I pass la Place du Tretre now devoid of the many painters of postcard Paris. It looks in the snow like it must have a hundred and thirteen years ago, when it was young and the painters were creating a new art. Sliding on the icy cobblestones I turn down Rue de Calvaire and there it is. The old street lamp lights the way across the tiny Place du Calvaire in front of the little café where I know I can get the best Absinthe in town. A small group are seated inside they turn to greet me.

“Joyeux Noël!” they shout and raise their glasses in toast. They have been here all night waiting for me. A very slight man in a tall hat offers me a glass of cheer.

“Merci,” At the fist taste of the Absinthe the calendar slips backward and it is Christmas day 1899. The little man who gave me the glass now offers me a chair at his table,

“Merci, Toulouse, and Merry Christmas my friend.” Here in Chez Plumeau it is the best Christmas imaginable.

Fou D’Absinthe by L’Artisan Parfumeur is the perfect fragrance for Christmas! A festive if dangerous drink, good friends and wonderful smells, it is all here in this wonderful perfume. The fragrance is light and close to the skin on me so it is the type of perfume I must revisit, which I don’t mind at all. And if you have the body cream that in conjunction with the perfume makes it last longer. So a low silage and longevity make it a perfect scent for the office, or the office Christmas Party!

Fou D’Absinthe (Crazy Absinthe) opens with a sensuous deep blackcurrant and the balancing act of the pungent and sweet angelica. Here is where the sinful fun begins. The wormwood note, the very thing Absinthe is made from is here meandering and slithering its way into the soul of this fragrance. What would Christmas be without a toast or two of the forbidden brew?

In the middle notes Christmas morning opens like festive packages one after another. There is sharp ginger as in the cookies, a pot of patchouli bubbles with a pinch of pepper, nutmeg and cloves. On the top of the Christmas tree a lovely licorice lick of Star Anise.

In the dry down we get to the where the Pagan and the Christian meet. Raw resinous fir trees and Pine needles of the Druids and their winter solstice ceremonies meet the catholic incense from the cathedral. The ending is magisterial, solemn and reflective. So in its way Fou D’Absinthe is anything but crazy. Rather it embraces all the joys of the season and then, just like Christmas it is gone at midnight. But then again…New Years Eve is just around the corner.

FIVE GOLD STARS *****

Kain
Kain

This is a very natural and great fragrance.
When I was a kid, there was some kind of resin that people were taking it from special tree that I can't remember what the name was.
It was white and like crystals and you could shatter it easily.
I know it sounds ridiculous but we were chewing it like a bubble gum because when this resin meet with water, it's becoming soft exactly like bubble gum and you can chew it.
The taste was very different, almost bitter and very tasty.
Unfortunately I can't find it anymore in my city.
This fragrance remind me of that.
It's very green,resinous and natural with so unique and beautiful smell.
I fell in love with it at the first sniff.
Average projection and longevity but the smell is stunning.
اين عطر منو ياد دوران بچه گيم انداخت
نه اينكه بوش قديمي باشه
صبر كنين تا بگم خدمتتون
وقتي بچه بودم يه نوع صمغ خاص بود كه از يه نوع درخت خاص بدست مياوردن و بهش ميگفتن سقز
نميدونم ديدين يا نه
اما ظاهر كريستالي و البته سفيد رنگي داشت و به راحتي با فشار پودر ميشد
ما اين صمغُ ميذاشتيم دهنمون و مثل آدامس ميجويديمش چون آب كه بهش ميخورد دقيقا مثل آدامس خميري و قابل جويدن ميشد
طعم بسيار خاص، كمي تلخ و عجيب قريبي داشت كه واقعا از طمع بي نظيرش لذت ميبرديم
حالا بوي اين عطر دقيقا مثل بو و طمع همون سقز هست
يه بوي بسيار منحصر بفرد و طبيعي و خاص كه واقعا حس عالي به آدم ميده
پخش بو و ماندگاريش متوسط هست اما بوش بي نظيره
ميخواااامش

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

A realistic forest - lots of trees (pines), green plants, spices; a walk in a peaceful forest, pure nature around, silence. I love it.

clover.chen
clover.chen

i remember one evening last winter on the tube (london underground) during rush hour, i was crammed into a crowded carriage like any other evenings. most of the time the crammed journey is smelly and uncomfortable. but on that day, luckily for me, the man standing in front of me was smelling of something nice, not the cheap deodorants or sweat that usually plague crowded spaces like this. he was taller than me and my nose was around his chest height. as the wind gust in through the little door window i can smell this gorgeous fresh piney spicy scent coming from him. adding a guy's body musk, the smell was very sexy, alluring and unique.

it left a great impression on me and sometimes i regret not asking him what he was wearing. but i guess as luck would have it, a few months later i discovered l'artisan parfumeur. i read about fou d'absinthe online and thought the name was interesting. when i went to the store to smell it, it immediately reminded me of the guy on the train. im not sure if he was wearing this actual perfume or something similar, but doesnt matter because this smelled to me like the sexy pine. this is a scent on the masculine side, mainly due to the lack of any typical feminine notes such as floral or gourmands, but as a girl i wanted to wear it anyways. i think this scent will be very sexy on a guy, but not so much on me. which doesnt matter because i wont reach for this when i want 'sexy' anyways. i will reach for this when i am tired of smelling sweet like flowers or fruits or gourmands. this is a great cocktail of greenery which in turn delivers a pure clean freshness not commonly found in perfume. this was also my first perfume from l'artisan and i have developed more and more love for their scents overtime. though fresh scents is usually associated with day, i find it a little sharp and even boozy for day wear. i think it is better for nighttime because i think the woods comes more alive at night, and this is no different. it smelled more fitting for the nighttime surrounding, amplifying the chilliness. the longevity of this perfume is good, but on me, the projection is decent, it becomes more of a skin scent after a few hours. regardless, i love this perfume.

xabaras
xabaras

To me this is an obscure dark fragrance. It opens with a mild fragrant smell of light after-meal liquor, what they call "amaro" (bitter)in Italian. I guess it is the angelica giving it it's aromatic touch. Then it develops into a herby beauty, which becomes sweeter and sweeter as time goes by. In half an hour the only thing I can smell is caramel. A pleasant caramel. But I wonder if my nose is having some kind of breakdown as I see that there are no caramel notes in Fou d'Absinthe: this sweetness is counterbalanced by a hint of pine smell. And it works very very well. I really like it. It could make a woman lose her head. I mean it.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

I've had this for about a week and am REALLY enjoying it. I tend towards deeper, darker scents, so when I find something crisp and clean and fresh that strikes me as distinctive and interesting, i leap on it! i was encouraged to try it (and other absinths) after i fell in like with Nasomatto Absinth. i won't retread the notes, as others have illustrated the scent stellarly already. i will say that i'm not impressed with its longevity. i find that i need to reapply in four or so hours.

spirit966
spirit966

Its a nice piney, slightly boozy scent. I don't actually find it as spicey as mentioned but it this scent does smell, fresh, modern, slightly boozy and alchoholic, herbal, slightly balmy and classy.

Its a great work and everyday scent if it wasn't for the fact that I have other stuff in my collection that servces this purpose.

I won't call this unique, but it is a well done scent.

As such looking to part with it if anyone is looking for a new bottle at lower than retail prices.

AJ73
AJ73

What an amazing scent. It's uplifting in a nice and happy way. Drunk, artistic and a little crazy. It will be perfect for a night of clubbing in my hometown.. Amsterdam :-D

maria-clara
maria-clara

I have a sample Fou d'Absinthe since last spring. I have tried it on several times. I am not sure If I want to smell this green-medicinal myself, but I do enjoy the smell, I like to sniff it in. It cleanses, soothes. I clearly smell pine, anise, incense, and nutpeg. Another male/female perfume.

a day later I have to add:
It's really a man's smell, not intended as male/female to begin with, now I get the picture. But that's ok, I've had male scents before. After sniffing again and again, I am sure I want to smell like this on specific occasions. After a day in the SPA, staying at home, my body all clean inside and outside, dressed in nothing but pure silk and fou d'absinthe. I can also imagine wearing this scent on cold sunny days, walking in the woods, wearing my hiker shoes, and elegant white, sporty outfit. And I would definitely love my man to smell like this, all clean and spicy.

Thalia
Thalia

Alcholic for sure, but this is not the scent of absinthe to me -- it's more like icy-cold gin, mixed with crushed pine needles. I agree with many of the other reviewers that it goes on a little medicinal. You could easily rub this on your chest when you had a cold to open your sinuses -- and I bet it would work!

It gets spicier and a little sweeter as it progresses, with a pleasant hot/cold effect, and a light rich woodiness in the base. Extraordinarily refreshing, and to my nose easily worn by a woman or a man. This is what you'd wear to smell like winter.

Labaloo
Labaloo

Fresh and clean as a whistle...

tedylee
tedylee

Frankly, if I had never tried this but only read the notes here, I would definitely not go for it, cause it 'looks' like a heavy woody, spicy one. But fortunately, I tried it. And it became my personal favorite fragrance of all time!

Fou d'Absinthe starts with pine-y, fresh and slightly spicy notes. Soon the star anise begins to come up with the pepper and angelica support behind. It may sounds like some spicy-aroma food seasoning here but the smell doesn't actually remind me anything of food dishes.

The interesting part is, I can sense some amazing sweetness and acidity at the same time as it develops on my skin, I think it's the black currant and angelica. Longevity works fine for me, 2-3 sprays makes me smell like a delicious fir tree all day.

MsJadeGold
MsJadeGold

Not just for gents. This smells amazing on my skin and I get more compliments wearing it than I do with some of my more traditionally "girly" fragrances.

It's an incredibly fresh and green smell; like someone picked a big bunch of unripened bananas and put the entire bunch up to your nose while you are sitting on an old hippie's tapestry rug in a patch of glistening, mountain trees.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Fou d'Absinthe goes on medicinal, initially herby and headshop-y, but that concoction is quickly overtaken by the Vick's Vap-o-rub menthol note. The Vap-o-rub note gradually fades into a balmy, resiny scent that makes me think of Egypt for some reason. I like this stage, but within thirty minutes, the scent changes yet again, growing sweet and medicinal, a little fresh and a little rotten. In four hours, it has become a sweet skin scent. This low-silage phase is not musky, but herby and sweet, and it's my favorite part of the journey (perhaps the calm, settled feeling after drinking?). It's also the longest lasting, continuing on for a few hours before evaporating.

This is a journey kind of scent, but it's a rather confusing journey. Perhaps the evolution of this scent is meant to mirror the state of mind of someone drinking absinthe. If that's the case, then L’Artisan Perfumes has succeeded in their mission.

I can't say that this is a fragrance I'd wear, although it is wearable and not a novelty scent. I suspect those who are more into the green/nature kind of scents will enjoy this more than I do.

spoombung
spoombung

Very masculine (at least to my nose), piney, sweet -herbal-boozy. It's very well made - and some people are going to love it - but I personally can't tolerate the smell of strong pine due to it's long and unfortunate association with toilet cleaning products here in the UK.

JackOatmon
JackOatmon

This fragrance does not (thankfully) smell overly much like the drink absynthe, which is as vile smelling a brew as has ever been concocted. Think Sambuca with gasoline in it. The part it retains of the drink is a mysterious, herbaceous, heady characteristic.

Fou d'Absinthe is green, spicy, piny, mysterious and ever-so-slightly floral, like a spicy lavender. I'l definitely agree with the nutmeg people have mentioned below. It's very strong off the top. I'm not getting as much anise or fennel notes as it would take to get a real "absinthe" smell. This is an eau that needs a full spray on each wrist and the neck to last, which it does beautifully on my skin - unusual as my skin seems to dispense with eaux relatively quickly. The development is really gradual and interesting.

Very, very nice.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Green and spicy with bitter herbal notes that presumably include artemesia. A number of culinary spices clearly are present including nutmeg, anise, cloves, and pepper. Initially there’s something that smells like fresh rubber bands, but that quickly goes away.

At first the dominant note is definitely nutmeg, almost an overdose of nutmeg.Tthe other spices take a back seat, subdued but clearly there. The pine needles are barely perceptible in the background. As it dries down the pine, lavender, and herbal notes become somewhat more prominent and the nutmeg gives way to clove. By this time the scent has taken on a slightly after-shave feel. It remains in the men’s cologne mode for several hours, during which time it gradually disappears. I really like the spicy, herbal beginning and wish that part stuck around longer.

Cereza
Cereza

So, here we go. First of all - absinth is one of my favourite drinks. I know, it's unbelievable, but it's a second favourite after white russian.
L'artisan's Fou d Absinthe is one of the most mouthwathering scents I've tried lately - it's spicy, there is the fantastic anise note working together with spicy clove + sweet patchouli. It's wonderful and yes, very masculine, but girl's can pull this off as well - it's very complex and smoky so a lovely "femme fatale" could rock this perfume.

Very unique, very rich and expensive smelling, i'm just amazed.

Jummy! Must drink absinth NOW.

CHOICE
CHOICE

Muy poca duración, apenas se siente a ras de piel a las pocas horas de aplicarlo, y eso que la muestra que he probado era agua de perfume.

De cualquier forma, para mi es un perfume totalmente prescindible, más aun teniendo en cuenta su precio.

Being a HUGE fan of absinthe/artemisia in general, I was very anxious to try this scent, and have actually added quite a few scents with this note to my collection of late (and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Absynthe for men by Christian LaCroix-Thanks members). This, more than any I've smelled so far, catches the spirit of the drink and essence of The Green Fairy...

This begins sweet (currants) and warmly green (angelica) very much like the liquer. A cube of sugar is placed in a slotted spoon to pour the absinthe over, as it is so bitter, hence the inclusion of the sweet dark fruit to this. The opening has an almost silvery vapor to it I find exquisite. In the main body of this scent, the spices are the stars: cloves (warm & raw), nutmeg(smooth),anise(sweet and aromatic) and pepper(bitter-hot) really warm things up as ginger adds a frshness to it and patchouli keeps it dark and mysterious. The drydown is truly green and bitter with the balsam fir and pine needles, incense adds yet another aspect of the mysterious and a different sort of warmth (more resiny)to it all. Those who do not like overly spicy/herbal aromatic scents may want to pass on this; though, I find it quite unique and very inviting, not to mention alluring and dangerous...

Sillage: good
Longevity: okay
Overall: 4/5

I really like my first L'Artisan scent and feel I picked one very suited to my skin (and preferences). It is quite aromatic, yet I feel it does not have the necessary green/woody floral component to be a fougere, although the conifers add some of that. Regardless of what family it is in...it's absolutely a wonderful and stunning creation that truly would be excellent for cooler temperatures and darker times of the year. I hope this does not spoil me for LaCroix's Absynthe...

kalynne
kalynne

I visit this fragrance. My chemistry turns this herbal, alcoholic to a fresh, sweet, feminine, spice which I love. For me, it's a bit fall/winter. I think it's now time to get it. It's just smells so different on my skin than from the bottle.

L'Artisan Parfumeur FOU D'ABSINTHE is really a scrumptiously gorgeous oriental woody fragrance to my nose, and I have no idea why it is said to belong only to men. Fie!

Could it be the inclusion of pine which led to this erroneous categorization? No, no, no, I must protest: the pine is far too light. This is not a bracing polo-playing male cologne at all. Far from it, in fact. This really is an oriental woody perfume--I swear. The fir, pine, and incense mingle together as woods, and the nutmeg, anise, clove, ginger and pepper form a seamless spice blend which lightly dusts the wood and other notes.

Believe it or not, this composition is a second cousin to CHINATOWN and related Bond no 9 chypres (BRYANT PARK and LEXINGTON AVE). Partly the connection is the anise; partly the patchouli. I find FOU D'ABSINTHE to be an incredibly appealing blend--which I would love to add to my collection.

chance25
chance25

Ahhh, it doesn't get any fresher than this. I was on the fence for about a half a second before purchasing a full bottle. The reason being was all the masculine comments and reviews. I'm someone that isn't even really into unisex fragrances.

This to me smells like a pine version of Iris Pallida. There that's all you need to know. If you've obsessed over IP like me, you know the effervescence it has and the pure quality of the perfume. These two are in the same family. Only one iris and the other pine.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

This is sex in a bottle! I'd ♥*~*♥purrrrrrrrrrr♥*~*♥ if a man wore this around me. Very sexy as a intimate date perfume for a male.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Great pine-peppery stuff!
L'Artisan are making amongst the most beautiful fragrances! BUT, unfortunately, they don't have any longevity nor sillage... This one is not an exeption.
I like it anyway.

belladonna'sbliss
belladonna'sbliss

Really wanted to try this since I enjoy the Christian L. absynthe. This does give a real quality absynthe note and furthermore with boreal forest feelings. the amazing smooth spicey quality that comes through when settled makes me want to find many occasion to wear this and would love to dose my significant other in it.
Good lasting power really recommended for fall winter wear. If you try really hard you can smell all the notes that lend there own qualities but everything is so well blended that I don't want to spotlight a single one.
Great example of a aromatic fougere one that I will hold others up to in comparison.
picture Sophisticated and gentlemanly but not even close to being boring.

knightz
knightz

The conifers are not as dominating as I thought they would be, but I can definitely smell them throughout. They are well blended. All the Pine or Fir notes are smoothed over by light Nutmeg, Clove, Anise, and Patchouli.

It softens up over time, but keeps it's light conifer notes. During the dry down the incense comes through lightly, and the Patchouli picks up some strength. The Anise note is present right through to the dry down. Very aromatic. Good quality.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

I had the opportunity to smell this on a blotter piece of paper. The pine needle notes are amazing and real smelling (like a freshly cut Christmas Tree). It blends well with the pepper, incense, ginger and nutmeg notes.

Fou d`Absinthe by L`Artisan Parfumeur 4.17 out of 5 based on 344 ratings and 51 user reviews

Gift Set 0.5oz
L'ARTISAN PARFUMEUR VARIETY for MEN by L'Artisan Parfumeur SET-3 PIECE MINI SAMPLER FRAGRANCE COFFRET WITH MECHANT LOUP TIMBUKTU FOU D'ABSINTHE AND ALL ARE .5 OZ SPRAYS
Sephora.com, Inc.
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe 1.7 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe 1.7 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
Beautyhabit.com
L'Artisan Parfumeur - Fou d'Absinthe Eau de Parfum - 50 ml
L'Artisan Parfumeur - Fou d'Absinthe Eau de Parfum - 50 ml
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou D'Absinthe Eau De Parfum Spray New Packaging 50ml 1.7oz
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou D'Absinthe Eau De Parfum Spray New Packaging 50ml 1.7oz
Fou D'absinthe Perfume by L'artisan Parfumeur, 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Perfume.com
Fou D'absinthe Perfume by L'artisan Parfumeur - 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Fou D'absinthe Perfume by L'artisan Parfumeur - 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Sephora.com, Inc.
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe 3.4 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe 3.4 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou D'Absinthe Eau De Parfum Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.4oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Fou d`Absinthe fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Fou d`Absinthe, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Fou d`Absinthe by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Fou d`Absinthe by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.