Designers » L » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men

Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

October 2009. L’Artisan Parfumeur, tireless adventurer, unrepentant traveler and intrepid explorer invites you to encounter the languorous beauty that is Havana Vanille.

From its vibrant Salsa rhythms, its famous cigars and Cuban rum, it is certain there is something magical about Havana. It is a place that contrasts all others.

This mysterious fragrance is reminiscent of travels around the world, the nostalgia of crossing the seven seas to discover far off treasures and the smell of a wooden boat mingling with the aroma of rum and spice. A sensually elegant fragrance, Havana Vanille expresses itself according to the occasion.

At the soul of this infusion is Mexican vanilla pod soaked in aged rum which contains a Top Note of clove and crystallized dried fruit. Its leathery characteristics are rounded off by a ball of vanilla and powder. The Heart Note, a subtle alliance of narcissus, everlasting flower and tonka bean is reminiscent of freshly picked tobacco leaves, both honey-sweet and narcotic. The Base Note blend of balms, smoked woods and musks around a vanilla absolute make the fragrance creamy, mellow and addictive.

A luminous and mysterious harmony, Havana Vanille is indeed the fragrance of a magical place.

It comes in 50ml (1.7oz) and 100ml (3.4oz) EDP. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour.

Clove Vanilla Dried Fruits

Immortelle Narcissus Tonka Bean Licorice

Resin Musk Woodsy Notes Leather Rum Tobacco

Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) Fragrance Reviews

dkny27
dkny27

Dry, sweet, spicy leather.... It's actually a very dramatic scent, in that it needs interpretation and appreciation.
The spice is boozy and divine and really develops on the skin. This is edgy and artistic. I'm thinking in the way of Frida Kahlo, creating a masterpiece amongst the tobacco and boozy background...
Lasts quite a long time for L'Artisan and is incredibly unique...
However, not for everyone, so sample first!!

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

This will be a very short review: I love this.

On my skin, this scent smells like leathery, toffee/vanilla, with a hint of a dry tobacco note. It's very cozy, and somehow not "sweet". There is a hint of masculinity, so that it could be a unisex perfume. Not for your average 14-year-old girl looking for a new fragrance "vanilla"!

If you got a waft of this as somebody walked by, they'd probably tell you that you smell like cookies! (It's delicious, in a non-foody way.)

I find the sillage to be about "average", and the longevity was several hours (5-9 hours... in sweltering heat), which seems to be out of the norm from the reviews I've read about this house!

(Based on a bottle from 2011, I'm not sure when the reformulation was.)

muzzbait
muzzbait

yep, it's 1697 alright...
potent vanilla, dried fruits and sweeet booze. oh yeah! i love this...

bossontherun
bossontherun

Faint without characteristic. Negative review for the reformulation here! I do not know how the vintage stuff smell like.

villey91
villey91

I love this perfume. I think this is one of those love or hate-scents, because it seems that many people reviewing it are hating it, but I happen to love it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
But I get why some people don't like it. My friend described the smell in the beginning being like some vanilla rum shot or something. And well if you don't like to drink or eat drinks/food with rum - it's very possible that you won't like this scent. I mean my boyfriend said he's disgusted by that kind of stuff, so it made him not like this perfume either. (tho he argues that I smell great when I wear it)

But this absolutely reminds me of all of these amazing gourmee deserts that are served "only for adults" at some sophisticated dinner/cocktail parties. It's like creme brulee or Tiramisu!
I can not believe how amazing the rum smells like in this scent. Very comforting..(does it make me an alcoholic? lol) and very sweet !

This perfume demands an open mind. I'd recommend it to anyone who might wanna try "new"(old!) kind of Vanilla.
Even tho it has cigar & rum in it, it will NOT make you smelling like some old drunkie.
I was very scared after my first little spray of this because I didn't love it right away, but then like out of nowhere I fell in love with it. I realized I had not not-liked it, I was just experiencing a completely new version of Vanilla. Or new for me. It's pure Vanilla pod. Like from an actual desert ! Far away from synthetic ones like maybe Sud Pacifique Vanilla, even tho I totally love it too. It's just not like that. It's not candy, it really is just some fancy desert. And in the dry-down of course it has the most amazing part. When the tobacco, rum& Vanilla are joined by tonka beans... Genius!

Felipe Ramone
Felipe Ramone

Got a sample of this and found it an interesting scent. Very nice vanilla, not strong if applied correctly (not much). On my girlfriend's skin it didn't turn out good when first applied, but after some hours it got awesome. Maybe she had put too much. On me, this was very nice from the beginning.

my2spritz
my2spritz

This is strange. Opened like others said, it smells exactly like pure vanilla extract, after a few minutes it became more rich, but then, all of a sudden, this awkward green thread runs through it, just ruins the whole fragrance... and I like bright, crisp, greens! I definitely associate the green to the narcissus note listed, that's exactly what it smells like, a freshly picked daffodil. It's just not blended right, the green smells misplaced.

Lybarra118
Lybarra118

Boy, what I got was not what I was expecting. I bought this without testing, same as I did with Fracas. Also same as Fracas, I couldn't force myself to try more than twice.

It's very dry, smoky and smells like a bottle of rum (not the Malibu kind). I got a bad body odor smell from this and it made me gag. Even after scrubbing my arm, the scent lingered. There's very little vanilla, which I would normally think is a good thing as too much vanilla can be cloying, IMO, but that wasn't the case here.

At first spray, the first thing I pictured was some drunk, dirty, sweaty man (hibiscus shirt unbuttoned, chest hair showing), hanging at the beach smoking a cheap cigar.

I couldn't pull it off.

spidola
spidola

I’m sorry to say that but this perfume is horribly sickening… I’m writing this review for avoiding vanilla lovers of blind buying it. I love vanilla note, but this is NOT the case of vanilla. Imagine someone offers you a dessert – tobacco and dried fruit mixture soaked in sugared rum, that’s it! This is foody gourmand with some non-foody ingredients.
I did not arrive to drydown, I just couldn’t.
I have had the same reaction with other Bertrand Duchaufour creations - Deliria and Amour Nocturn (I love Skin on Skin, by the way). Even Traversee du Bosphore that opened pleasantly turned to something unpleasant. I love some strange, weird scents, but this is big NO.
Test before buying!!!

luna rebel
luna rebel

Sorry, Vanille Absolument but after many attempts at trying to like you, I have to put you on my dislike list. There is a note in the beginning of this fragrance, which lasts about 30 minutes, that smells like dirty dishes soaked in stale dish soap to me. Very unpleasant. I don't know what that note is, but it is horrifying. The dry down is beautiful and smells exactly like vanilla extract but it's just too long of a wait for me to suffer through with the beginning. I had to swap this one. I love a lot of unpopular "strange" perfumes but this is too weird even for me.

Kaydenhart
Kaydenhart

Bought this from a trusted website and I'm not sure I got what everyone else is talking about. It definitely feels boozy and the drydown on me is cinnamon/vanilla but the projection is the worst I've ever encountered and longevity isn't that far behind. I was expecting more from L’Artisan Parfumeur. I have a full 1.7oz and I'm not sure what to do with it. :(

Deefit
Deefit

The base is very nice and warm, but the heart is too 'green' smelling for me. It's nice, but I wish the emphasis was more on the warmth.

The opening is the hardest part, it's like opening a bottle of strong rum, but that lasts just a few minutes and is easy to get past.

I got a decant of this and I'm glad I did not blind buy a full bottle. The decant is going straight to my swap list again.

DancerForLife
DancerForLife

Agree with many of the previous reviewers - the initial hit of this is gross. Rum/whiskey mixed with some bizarre green grass-type of scent, at least on my skin. Even the middle notes were off on me. The dry down is a beautiful powdery vanilla, interestingly enough most similar to Creed's Sublime Vanille on me. Will try again (have a sample) and see if I like the drydown enough to suffer through the top notes. Probably not - will likely just go back to the Creed fragrance that gets me there almost directly.

yana.syskova
yana.syskova

I am such a Willi Wonka lover!!! =))))
Makes me feel like in Cuba besides Willi Wonka dreams.

hadassa
hadassa

Vanille Absolument is nothing like Frapin's 1697 to me. It's nowhere near as complex as 1697 is, and nowhere near as dense. Neither is it as boozy, nor fruity, etc. Surprisingly enough, I like Vanille Absolument more than the Frapin, and enjoy to wear it.

Basically, VA is a creamy vanilla perfume with a dulce de leche touch, and with a light undertone of rum. The overall effect is very chocolate-y, and it's milk chocolate or even white chocolate with rum filling.
It's powdery due to tonka beans and, probably, immortelle. Tobacco (not smoked tobacco, just tart and fresh leaves) is also here. That's all I get and to me this is a wonderful composition, exactly what I wanted: just vanilla, but not a plain and a simplistic one: I wanted vanilla with a twist. This is it!

1697 also is a great perfume, but it's more about expensive alcohol and dried fruits, and it's so dense and so boozy that I get the famous "bug spray" note from it on my skin, which obviously made me forget about purchasing and wearing it. I blind-ordered VA instead, and, although it smells NOTHING like 1697, I'm happy I did.

19 people who find these perfumes similar, hmmm, I don't know what to say :)
Anyway, both perfumes are lovely and very duchafourian. Just try these on your skin first.

Like the majority of L'Artisans, VA is rather light, but lasts a good deal of time, probably around 6 hours. I suspect that it's going to be discontinued like some other newly discontinued lovely L'Artisans (read Safran Troublant, Traversee du Bosphore, at least in my country). I would try it before the supply is over, as it's a beauty.

fedz
fedz

I am really enjoying Havana vanille and every single time wearing it seems to me like it is for a first time, because each time this superb vanilla is different on my skin.
I just love it!

brightstar
brightstar

I read the notes, vanilla, tonka bean, rum, tobacco.. and think that this is a fragrance I would probabily fall in love with. I went to the shop with high hopes to try it. I must say I only tried it on paper but I was shocked. I usually love most of L'Artisan but this no, oh no. I smelled no vanilla, no rum, just something similar to food gone bad. Maybe the tester was really gone bad or maybe it was the paper, as soon as I can I will give this fragrance another chance.

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

I vehemently disagree with the comment below. This is a dry, resinous, yet sweet and boozy vanilla fragrance unlike any other vanilla fragrance I've encountered. In the opening you are hit with a shot of whiskey/bourbon and a dash of spice and immediately thereafter the vanilla kicks in. This is not a "edible" vanilla that you would find in SDV by Guerlain. It's quite powerful and one that I thoroughly enjoy. I don't get the mold and dirt that the commenter below speaks of. As I noted, it is a different take on vanilla which is what I need in a fragrance.....not a product similar to Bath and Body Works. I give this a 8.5 out of 10 for a vanilla based fragrance.

carolleelou
carolleelou

I will start off by saying I am not a vanilla perfume lover so when I saw this with leather, rum, tobacco, Tonka, and "woodsy" notes I thought this may be MY vanilla and I contemplated a blind buy.

Thankfully I bought a decant. I sadly have to say I do not like this perfume. Not kind of don’t like, or maybe it will grow on me...it is a resounding do not like at all, final. I get moldy, dirty vanilla and it is nauseating. I get no tobacco, no Tonka, no fruit (there is fruit in it, really?) and no thank you. Dirty, moldy vanilla and not even a good vanilla. The vanilla scent you smell in cheap vanilla candles - the candles that give me a headache.

Cheap vanilla mixed with dirt and mold - nope not my vanilla...alas my search continues.

Germany
Germany

Nice take on vanilla , a vanilla pod, rum, leather tobacco scent. One of the more masculine smelling vanilla perfumes out there. Quite realistic, natural and rich. I like it a lot!!! Great for winter and cold days !

Update, quite enjoying this , it softens into a very beautiful softer scent after half an hour. So even if you are not a fan of the leathery, tabaco smell in the first minutes, don't be discouraged , it's pretty impressive. Like real vanilla extract... Or open up a vanilla bean and smell it directly , black pure vanilla ,this is similar.
Oh and the real juice is yellow, dark brownish yellow and not white like on this picture..

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

my nose is purely a gourmand lover... pure adn simple. yes, there are other beautiful scents that i enjoy but i am a true sweetaholic. THIS is pure tobacco and leather on me... no vanilla, no dried fruit, no nothing! Its a real shame! I wanted to love this since my parents are from havana and i love vanilla. This is NOT gourmand.

UPDATE:
Very green vanilla. It grows on you

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

This fume perplexes me. Love all the notes but when I sprayed I thought I must have received a bad sample. BTW...I ordered a sample by mistake from both Lucky and Posh Peasant (yet another reason to not place large sample orders at 2 am). Anywho, my samples are identical. It isn't the fragrance, it's my skin. Twenty minutes after spraying my skin has really warmed and allowed the scent to open up. Ahhhh...much better and more along the lines of what I was hoping for. I can't imagine this scent ever offending anyone and I think it would be perfectly acceptable in an office environment. TF tobacco this is not. On my skin the leather takes over for the first hour or so...not so happy about that. After that it settles down and is much more enjoyable. I was hoping for something with a stronger punch but instead this is a warm sweet embrace. The drydown is my favorite part. Decant worthy for sure but have not decided if I would spring for a FB yet.

christianne1
christianne1

Vanilla that defies "vanilla fragrance". If you are thinking "but I don't like vanilla" and have made faces smelling those vanilla scented girly body sprays and drug store numbers.....worry no more. This is in no shape or form the same type of vanilla animal.

I am very picky about vanilla...it has to be only a certain type that I can tolerate. Not too sweet, not too "burnt", not too "brown sugary" or any of that. It has to be a sheer and luminous vanilla blended with other notes that take the sweet bite off. Basically, the type of vanilla you get in Vanille Absolument (or Dries Van Noten for example).

I am not getting an overload of rum thank goodness. I am not big on a big rum bomb. There is an interesting touch of greenness to this. If you are expecting a sweet rum or pipe type smell, you will be severely disappointed. This has more of a green smell to it...more botanical. It is a much fresher fragrance than I was expecting. A pleasant surprise. I was afraid I would be drowning in sweet vanilla and that is not the case at all.

Vanilla Absolument is a unique take on vanilla and I am happy that I went ahead and bought a bottle of it while it was on sale.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

When I wear Havana Vanille I can imagine Lauren Bacall in her 30s/40s in a jeep in South America, looking elegant despite her dusty safari-like clothes. She stops at a wooden shack for a glass of water and the inhabitants barely move an inch, she's offered a glass of rum and a rickety seat outside in the shade, where she gazes at row upon row of drying tobacco leaves, raisins and vanilla pods

The opening is a fruity rich vanilla with a sense of substance - which I'd say is the leather. As it dries down it becomes drier, and the tobacco note is perfect - dried leaves in the sun, which give it a sun-warmed feel.

The overall feeling is sun-drenched, it's richly sweet, in a way that's about real vanilla pods, rum and raisins, tobacco. Depending on skin chemistry I detect the dry note of vetiver more on some days. Sometimes it feels a little too sweet so it depends on your mood, For comparison's sake I'd say it's much sweeter than Shalimar, for example.

But I've already been complimented on it a couple of times. It's certainly not a simple vanilla, but like many vanilla-based scents, it's comforting, also uplifting. It's comfortable to wear and I feel it would be right for any occasion when you feel like wearing something fairly low-key, yet subtly rich and luxurious. My friend noticed it on me when I first wore it and said she couldn't rest till she'd bought a bottle. (A fellow perfume fanatic!)

Sillage is noticable but not loud, longevity is about 6 hours, which on my skin is impressive!

delilahcat
delilahcat

I bought this whilst in search of the perfect vanilla but unfortunately this alternates between a vanilla that's sweet with dried fruit and a vanilla that's full of masculine woodsy notes. Neither of these notes react well with my skin so sadly this one didn't make the grade. My bottle is now on ebay practically full, only one spray used, and in great condition waiting for a new home. If anyone's interested look up my user name delilahcat2013 on ebay.

Shorokh
Shorokh

My review is for Vanille absolument.
I like vanilla smell in general, in food or on somebody else, but it would never come to my mind to wear a vanilla perfume.
I have no idea why I wanted to try this one. And - surprise! This is not a common vanilla scent. It`s not sweet at all on my skin, which is nice. It smells cold, earthy, non-smiling vanilla. Even the Tonka beans don`t add any sugarness. I had some rum at the opening, but it was gone very soon. A hint of tobacco here, a little of leather there make it more complex then just a pure vanilla scent. The lasting power is around 6 hours on my skin.
Nice. I can`t get enough of it. Very cold, decent vanilla on my, no girlish-sweetish-syropy, nothing of the kind. I`m 40, and it`s a fantastic choice for my chemistry. Everybody keep asking what I`m wearing! Even on the streets, not to mention my colleagues, male as well as female. I`m happy)

tymanski
tymanski

this is the work of genius, the most inneresting and groovalicious vanilla-centered frag i have (& have plenty!) duchaufour is a master of 'weightlessness' in perfumery, and to achieve this with traditionally heavy notes - vanilla, tobacco, rum, imortelle(!) is really inspired. this remarkable balance also makes it quite seasonally versatile, giving you sweeter options in summer. chalk up another 5-star scent to duchaufour :)
(this is a review of my older havana vanille, which apart from the name is much darker than the photo above. i'm led to believe they are the 'same' (i've not tried new-label juice) but i have my doubts....)

Libran
Libran

Forget that the fragrance has vanilla in the name and just try it out. If you are looking for ice cream, sticky toffee and girly, this is not the fragrance for you. The fragrance opens up with woods and resins and an almost smokiness, the tobacco is definitely at the front of this list, almost manly at first. The vanilla comes a lot later as it dries down and it's mysterious and aged and quite dry. The sweetness of the vanilla peeks out from under all the smokiness and lingers on the skin but it's not sugar coated at all, it's real earthy vanilla and very lovely. I enjoy wearing this and it lasts for hours on me. I think it would appeal to the person looking for something a little quirky and different.

orangehaze99
orangehaze99

I love vanilla....and am a little surprised by all the negative comments by those who also say they like vanilla. True, this isn't the vanilla sweetened with sugar most are used to....but I'd say it probably comes closer to the real bean. I've taken up baking recently...and know that there isn't a single sweet thing made in the oven that doesn't have a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract thrown in the ingredients. I decided to spend the extra money and buy a good vanilla extract, one soaked in good rum, with Madagascar beans...and NO other additives (many real vanilla extracts add corn syrup). Well, this perfume reminds me of that expensive vanilla extract. The vanilla most people are familiar with is the one that has already had many things added and done to it. People are not used to the more raw version. I like this perfume, but it takes a moment to get used to. And as it dries down on the skin, it softens up a bit. So intriguing how subjective scent is...how 2 different noses can smell the same thing and yet perceive that scent so differently! :)

illybansai
illybansai

It's been a few months since I began sampling like a crazy fool and this is still my favourite thing.

To me it smells like thick, luxurious vanilla ice cream, the home made kind with bits of real vanilla in there. It isn't very sweet, just enough, with a little salt to make it rich.
Sprinkled on top are a selection of dreamy dry spices that waft around it, further enticing you.
Then, just for pigs sake, a little root beer in the bottom of the bowl. Even though you said 'no', you know you love it...

GuanYin2013
GuanYin2013

From the bottle this is overpowering and very unpleasant to my nose. It smells like fresh vomit. Sorry, it just does.

I have had stinky fragrances before and made them useful by mixing them. I had some Penhaligon's 'Lily and Spice' and I thought vanilla, lily and spice might go together. I mixed a 1ml sample batch and it is an improvement. The stinky notes were pushed to the edges and a floral ginger centre blossomed. Much better but not enough to make me like it.

It needed something clean and sharp to drive off the lingering stinky so I added some cologne (Jean Marie Farina). Now I have something which is curiously attractive. No remaining ugliness. The top notes are sharp, floral - light, fresh not heavy florals, herby, soapy, clean. The middle is made of richer florals - big, blooming, how tea roses should smell if they had a scent, an almost life-like lily, plus ginger (the flowers not the roots), a mellow spiciness. The base is a sensual seductive vanilla, warm and creamy and soothing (not oily and rank like the original unmixed vanilla) - how it should smell and how real vanilla pods smell to me. Wow! Very feminine, very sensual, captivating.

My next experiment will be to try to create a masculine vanilla mix.

I am getting to like 'hacking' fragrances. Take three smells I do not like, mix them together, and hey presto! This is amazing!

Verdict: unwearable out of the bottle. Does something magical in mixtures / layers with other fragrances. If you dislike the 'raw' fragrance try mixing it up with other items in your collection and you could be pleasantly surprised.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

I'm not sure what to make of Vanille Absolument. I should probably mention that this is already a stretch for me. I am not particularly into gourmand and/ or vanilla like fragrances but I wanted to give it a try, as I read it is a different sort of vanilla.

Well here are my thought on it:

The opening is very boozy on my skin, like wearing a baba au rhum. Then it evolves into a strangely cold, somewhat leathery and smoky, mildly vanillic scent. Not unpleasant, somewhat masculine. I actually enjoyed that phase. The dry down, however, is simply disappointing: a vaguely sweet, rather artificial smelling vanilla. Very flat, yet cloying in a nauseating sort of way. Cheap is what comes to mind. Thankfully, by that time, there's barely a whiff left.

So, it's definitely not love. Yet, it is intriguing , so I will not dismiss it entirely. I only wish the dry down were more complex and more in line with its middle development.

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

Vanille Absolument has a saccharin sweet opening that is almost too much for me to handle. The drydown is pure "wood shop". I normally love the aroma of a wood shop but in a vanilla based perfume I found the combo a bit strange and unpleasant. I don't think anyone else is getting this development so it must be my body chemistry. This is almost surreal...I can almost hear the saw blade cutting through a plank of wood! After a couple hours my hand smells like a mellow smoky vanilla cookie...not bad!

Mr. CG White
Mr. CG White

One of L'Artisan's best creations since the wheel and sliced bread, I know those are big words but that's just my opinion. There is something about boozy fragrances mixed with vanilla and or amber that just gets my banana peeling lol. This is one of the first niche and first L'Artisan I smelled years back and I was really taken back on how horrendous I thought this was based on the opening, but things change and so do people and now I'm proud to say that I have this as one of my all time favorites.

If I could change this I would, I'd add a true tobacco leaf dipped the syrup note to the mix to really get the ball rolling but then again why tamper with something that's not broke?

LittleDragonette
LittleDragonette

I thought this would be the Holy Grail of vanillas, and there are many lovely elements to it, the rummy, powdery muskiness of it-- but on me there was a cloying, rancid sweetness reminiscent of butter gone off. I really tried to ignore it and was supremely dejected, but would have been more so had I shelled out for a full bottle unsniffed.

angel6
angel6

It's not what I expect .I think that this perfume has a note that spoil it.
I'm not sure what it is. It was not love for me.

antfarm
antfarm

I was expecting something rich, vanillic, and almost cigar-like, but no. Before trying this I was imagining Javier Bardem, and how he looks like a gorgeous, noble centaur full of sublime man-beauty. I was hoping that Havana Vanille would be as equally striking, like him as a perfume. Havana Vanille fell waaay short. (Shakes head in sadness).

On a friend of mine, this smells like vanilla ice cream. On me, it smelled like a snowball with way too much ice and just a meager squirt of vanilla syrup.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Review for Havana Vanille (which to me is a different composition from Vanille Absolument which I found had a far more screechy opening). This is definitely not a gourmand vanilla ( at least to my nose it isn't). It's a herbal/tobacco dry vanilla that's just slightly sweet. I love it personally but I can see that this is a love it/hate it perfume as it's a little strange/challenging on the nose? I agree with the comparison to ELDO compositions. The herbal/tobacco/rum combination...it's very intriguing to say the least. Those who hate licorice will want to stay far away from this as the note is quite intense in the opening. The drydown is my favourite part where it is less intent on challenging your nose and becomes a softer, comforting and warm, ever just slightly sweet woody vanilla. It lasted about six hours on me and by then it was truly a skin scent. I find this more interesting a composition than Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille although that is also a fond favourite for this catergory of scent.

sistermoon
sistermoon

Delicious gourmand vanilla fragrance through and through. Comforting, milky, with enough sweetness and medium strength. But the name Havana Vanille tricked me into thinking there would be more to it. Yes there are spices, and when I focus I can smell some rum, but these are not very noticable notes. The price is way way too steep for something so ordinary and easily found elsewhere (although beautiful). But this is my problem with the "niche" market in general. Enjoyable ordinary fragrances in pretty bottles, that cost a fortune. And what's worse usually only available in huge amount of 100 ml. With hard-to-find, expensive samples. (rant over)

For a very similar fragrance I recommend more reasonably priced Vanille Ambree by Acorelle, a wonderful vanilla/spice scent, sold by a company with a very transparent policy.

CardaGiorgio
CardaGiorgio

Reading another reviews, it seems that this fragrance is a love or hate fragrance. I think (this is a personal though) that the negative point of this fragrance to some people is the rum-dried fruits note which is very similar to you can find in Frapin´s 1697.

I personally like this fragrance a lot. Despite the name has changed, I think the "Havana" concept is well reflected on its smell. This is a strong aroma; not fine or elegant but to me this is not a negative point. There are a lot of vanilla fragrances in the market and I think this is one of the best. If someone is looking for an elegant vanilla fragrance, I think one of the better options (if not the best) it´s Mona di Orio´s Vanille. I adore that fragrance too, but it goes in another direction.

raw umber
raw umber

Though not entirely synthetic as with some of the other more popular and widely marketed vanillas, Havana Vanille is a not really a natural vanilla to me (which in itself is not necessarily a good or bad thing). It is a sweet and slightly dirty fragrance, which simultaneously reminds me of a rum-laced confection, and of an ice cold car window covered in condensation. In an attempt to peer through the glass onto a Wintery landscape, I press my nose to the window and smell this peculiar vanilla mixing with the Winter outside and the ambiance of the crowded stuffy car. Intimate but neither romantic nor particularly comforting... It just IS.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Oh, how I wanted to adore this! Newly named "Vanille Absolument " - for some unknown reason - this vanilla is far from refined like the description wants you to believe. While I am intrigued by it, I just cannot put myself together to love it like I love Bois1920 La Vanigla, or Il Profumo Vanille Bourbon........
On me it starts sexy, with a boozy spicy rum, with hints of vanilla. This is the best phase on my skin and I would have preferred it to remain like this. But it doesn't last long enough.
The fragrance changes... the tonka takes over the spicy rum, and there is a definite dirtiness here.... it's dusty and yes, as someone else mentioned, a little moldy... humid and woody... reminds me of those shacks made of rotting wood that have roofs made from banana leaves... people who are poor by our western standards, who didn't have a shower in ages except in ocean water perhaps... and their skin and hair smell.... they elude a certain simple happiness... that smells like this perfume!
After this, another change... between the wet wood, tonka and mold there is fairly strong hint of...condensed milk? And tobacco leaves, green.... nothing like the tobacco in Tea for Two which is dry, cured, smoky...
Finally everything softens... more vanilla comes at the end, and a little pleasant sweetness.
Vanille Absolument is a true woody vanilla on my skin; not too spicy, not too strong, zero fruits, and surely not gourmand at all. There a weirdness in the middle phase that makes it a difficult love for me... Silage is mellow, lasting power quite good . Nevertheless it's addictive without being exactly beautiful. It's appealing and raw. Even though I am not enamoured with it, I cannot stop smelling it. Goes inside your system without the jitters of new love.

jtd
jtd

12/2012
Bertrand Duchafour is the poster child for the perfumer-as-auteur movement.  Contrary to the old school of perfumery, he speaks publicly about his work, is identified by perfume producers as the composer of the work and has identifiable styles. He is commonly discussed as an artist and creator, still a fairly new phenomenon. When his work is discussed, you often see words such as translucent, sheer, radiant, weightless.  I only know a small fraction of his work, but I'm interested in the meaning of this weightless quality.

Duchaufour takes elements that we recognize (incense, orange blossom, vanilla, and rose for example) then separates the 'flavor' of the scent from other material qualities that our noses identify as weight, viscosity, density. Removing what reads to the nose as mass or palpability from identifiable aromas gives fascinating results. The perfumes aren't less complex or thinner than traditional perfumes. They are not simply diminished. They become twisted in a manner that implicitly makes us question the works until we've come to some understanding of them. Timbuktu feels not so much like an incense fragrance, but an answer the question, is light a wave or a particle? Timbuktu's radiance says wave.  Vanille Absolument doesn't change vanilla itself, it alters the context and gives us a vanilla pod in zero-G.  Can the flavor of Turkish Delight be separated from its material manifestation and placed as a permanent watermark on a perfume? (Yes, Traversée du Bosphore)

Duchaufour's work, more than any in the past 20 years of perfumery, takes us back to one of the original questions posed by modern perfumery, starting with the coumadin in Fougere Royale:  how do you define synthetic and natural?  In the late 19th century the answers might have seemed clearer, though no less interesting. Duchaufour's take is not to argue for a distinction, but to focus on our beliefs, based on the interpretation of our senses, of what feels natural or synthetic.  He gives us the tools to recalibrate our instinct, to retrain our 'gut' and smell the world differently if we choose to. In doing so, we, the subject, are changed. We are not 'natural' in that our instinct, our inborn ability to sense a more fundamental reality than our 5 senses reveal, is shown to be mutable and therefore subjective. Instinct is revealed as a hunch that we tend to believe is absolute. Duchaufour liberates instinct from the fairy-tale realm of natural and un-natural and shows us how to make better use of our intuition and insights. And we get to smell nice along the way. Take that, Secretions Magnifiques.

Easy shot at Etat Libre, another house that does a great job of challenging our views, but intentional. Punk, as a genre or sensibility, tends to come from the ring-and-run school of art. Duchaufour’s example shows a few more interesting things about perfumery and art. His making of spectacular perfumes is artistry per se, but to make us question the supposition of our beliefs about fragrance and ourselves while at the same time giving us gorgeous perfumes to wear? Bravo! And by welcoming the wearer to question societal beliefs, Duchaufour makes perfume wearers comrades in arts, an important piece in the definition of perfume artistry.

(I’m not very well informed on the Uzbek perfume issue, so I won’t comment. The question of the ethics of the ‘independent contractor’ or ‘hired gun’ in perfumery does raise interesting questions, though.)

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I really expected to like this but I did not. I was expecting a warm, cozy scent with all the elements of amber, rum, leather and vanilla. Instead, mostly I got a very cold scent. It felt cold- icy florals with vanilla and a murky funk background. Not a well done scent at all to my mind. Very disappointing. Thank goodness I only bought a tiny decant.

gracep
gracep

I'm really surprised that people describe this as being gourmand. To me, nothing about this fragrance is really food-y. The perfume smells very much like the woody pods of vanilla and just barely sweet at all. I was also really sad to test this on my skin, because on the tester card it smelled rich, woody, and like a complex vanilla the like of which I've never experienced. On my skin, a musty note was brought out. This did happen a tiny bit on the card, but on my skin, it was a mildly pleasant vanilla wood smell combined with some kind of musty funk. From testing this on the card, this fragrance was one of the top ones I was thinking of buying as my new perfume. I don't think so anymore : ( It might be better if you mix it with some kind of rich, straight up sweet vanilla, because the woody pod note is really quite interesting. All in all, it's clearly a pretty well composed fragrance and if only the dirty note were to go, it would be absolutely perfect in my books. It manages to have such an airy, weightless quality--something I don't usually associate with vanilla. It's something that's hard to put into words, and maybe that's what's most striking about the fragrance. It's what really drew me to it, and you notice it more and more with the dry down (well, on my card, not on my skin). It's a rich fragrance, but I didn't find that to be in the way that others said (buttery), but in a woody, dry kind of way.

leeyah87
leeyah87

Something about this smells like a moldy pumpkin :o/ I much prefer the discontinued Vanilia.

myolderbrother

Truly spectacular! To me, this is the most beautiful scent in the world! Being L'Artisan, it doesn't hit me over the head & shout "PERFUME"!! It actually has impressive longevity, yet it becomes a sexy part of my skin. I've tried all the vanilla's & I appreciate many. L by Lolita Lempicka is a favorite of mine & is a sweet, creamy vanilla with cinnamon & orange. It is amazing & so easy to enjoy. Un Bois Vanille seems best suited to wear to a beach bonfire in the fall. It is abrupt & harsh. It is also not very vanilla-y. I've used almost a whole bottle & just don't love it or appreciate it enough. Havana/Vanille Absolument, on the other hand, is done so beautifully & perfectly that I lust over it!! That's what I've looked for for years! My perfect perfume!

I wish this was still called Havana Vanille because I definitely smell the dry tobacco. Not only do I detect each and every note, but I detect them in the exact order shown in the perfume pyramid above, and it all blends together very effectively. The end result is a sweet vanilla with an herbal persona. It's only in the very end of the drydown that it smells like vanilla extract; up until that point it contains a note that resembles a vibrant green moss or maybe freshly crushed plant leaves. This green note lingers for hours.

It's probably the second most unisex vanilla I've ever smelled, after the infamous Tobacco Vanille, which I sometimes find too dark and harsh. I always have a difficult time imagining vanilla on a man, but this fragrance might actually work.

I personally don't think it smells like vanilla ice cream or think that it's gourmand, but at the same time I can easily see how it might come up that way on others, depending on chemistry.

The projection and longevity are perfect--I can smell it on myself all day, but another person would only notice it if they gave me a hug.

Labaloo
Labaloo

I am not normally attracted to vanilla perfumes, but this one is interesting. It is a very "round", creamy fragrance that reminds me of Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan mixed with Goutal's Sables, garnished in Carribean flair with rum, dried fruits, and vanille- like a "black cake" accord. I do not envision tobacco much here- what there is, is "dry" rather than sweet, and I am glad the name was changed to 'Vanille Absolument'. Would I wear it? Of that I am not sure... as others have said, it does have good (excellent) longevity, but the sillage is about 2-3" from my skin- which can be a good thing, at times, but my own tendency does not usually lie in such subtlety. For this "type" of "dry tobacco" fragrance, I much prefer Odori Tabacco... and for my occasional vanilla fix, I'll stick with Acqua e Zucchero.

I love vanilla fragrances, especially during the Winter months, as I find them both soothing and warm. Admittedly it's not a vanilla gourmand that I'm usually searching for on my quest to find the perfect vanilla. So seeing that I prefer my vanilla scents with a touch of spice, I was quite convinced that Havana Vanille would meet my requirements.

Although Havana Vanille isn't overly sweet, it does remind me of vanilla icecream, which kind of classes it as a gourmand to my nose. The vanilla icecream note isn't necessarily bad, but since I have grown tired of eating vanilla icecream over the years, the scent has lost its charm too.

With vanilla icecream comes a strong condensed milk accord, and this is what I'm smelling plenty of in Havana Vanille. In all honesty I find this fragrance a little cloying and difficult to wear. I wore it shopping last night and this morning, and yet my original opinion has not changed.

The top notes are where this composition tends to struggle, with fluffy vanilla, condensed milk and dusty immortelle. I have to wait this fragrance out for a good couple of hours before I begin to enjoy some stronger hints of spice and resins. By the drydown I can safely say I am beginning to like Havana Vanille, although I am still far from loving it.

For any Australians reading this review, Havana Vanille smells exactly like Bulla's Vanilla Ice Cream. To sum up this product for overseas readers, Bulla icecream is less creamy than other brands and is more light, watery and icy.

I was unimpressed by the longevity of Havana Vanille. I usually have a lot of respect for L'Artisan, and I still do, but this particular fragrance pales in comparison to the rest of their range. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

fpih
fpih

This smells less like a vanilla than almost any other vanilla I've tried. Dirty, raunchy, smells like wet or chewed tobacco. More woody than gourmand, luscious & rich, this is not a light or watered vanilla but suropy (though not especially sweet). One thing I can say for certain is that it's interesting, though it's definitely not to my taste. One of the few vanillas I can actually see a man wearing with no problem.

dmoman
dmoman

As the name applies, Havana vanille smells like a sweet cigar. Sweetness of course coming from vanilla. Somewhat boozy? Projection sucks on this but longevity is good, got 8 hours on this. I like this one a lot.

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

If you are looking for a great vanilla look elsewhere! As a vanilla lover, more like the obsessive jealous lover of vanilla must say this a letdown. It just plain smells nothing like vanilla-and I love all kinds of vanilla from spicy to sweet to dry. This smells like it has no vanilla in it! GUESS WHY?!!!!
BECAUSE IT HAS NO VANIELLA IN IT! No Sir! It would be genius to try and replicate a scent that occurs naturally and readily available by combining a hodgepodge of other notes if it actually replicated the scent, but this does not! I REPEAT! I SMELL NO VANILLA!

ineverwas
ineverwas

Vanille Absolument (formerly known as Havana Vanille) is a gorgeous, creamy-sweet dream that made me exclaim at first sniff 'It smells just like vanilla ice cream!". And up to this date, I haven't come up with a much better comparison to illustrate it, except maybe a tasty dessert my grandmother used to make called Oeufs a la Neige (Eggs in Snow) - a heavenly delight with custard cream.

It's luscious, fluffy and milky and it has a kind of silkiness that sets it apart from all other vanilla perfumes I've tested before (which, truth be told, are more or less alike).

The composition is a beautiful blend of vanilla, rum and dried fruits, rounded off with benzoin and tonka bean and a just a touch of orange and vetiver to make it seem easier and lighter. I couldn't however detect much tobacco in the notes - this is not a tobacco perfume. It's a mouthwatering milky gourmand that stays sweet and savory without ever falling on the cloying side.

It's yummy!

kassinator
kassinator

Dusty buttered rum vanilla. This is definitely a different take on vanilla and for that I love it. L'Artisan never fails to make interesting perfumes. This is not one for daily wear, but I appreciate it's softness. The vanilla is toned down with a creamed butter scent with a light hint of immortal flower. It is almost butter cream frosting, but the slight dusty, even lightly smoked smell gives it an edge that makes it more grown up and unique. Havana Vanille has decent sillage in the beginning, but becomes more of a skin scent after a few hours. I don't mind, this is a scent I would choose when I want to smell soft. Not baby powder soft, but interestingly sweeten dusty soft. If that even makes sense!

I have also tried this layered with Coromandel by Chanel (a rich amber blend). They are absolutely fabulous together. So keep in mind that this scent pairs well with a strong amber perfume.

D_D_T_L_V
D_D_T_L_V

You need to be in a certain mental state to wear it, honestly. I had the best salsa night of my life wearing this, feeling so luxurious - because honestly, one spritz is plenty. Here's why:
Smoky, boozy vanilla and narcissus open the show. it's a bit off-putting at first, you think it would be too strong, even masculine... but as it mellows on the skin, it softens. The narcissus turns from plastic to flower, the vanilla comes in as the richest, finest vanilla extract on the market. There's a powdery note that starts evolving and growing at the core, about half an hour into wearing it. With time, it becomes very femme. However, this is not a girly scent in any way. Don't buy this expecting something pink and fluffy. No. It's Rum, Narcissus, Smoky vanilla... real grown-up juice. One spritz is enough.

poivrerose
poivrerose

The beginning of this is strange and a bit alarming considering what I was expecting. I smell only a green floral note, and it is drenched with dew and covered in earth. Just very damp and slightly remniscent of mildew. I actually have to wonder if I've received a mismarked sample vial. And if I haven't, all I have to say about this one is - very disappointing. Yuck. It feels like I'm trapped in a mold laden cellar and the air is heavy and thick with moisture. And it is not getting any better as it wears. I'm having a hard time believing that this will be transforming into some magical smoky vanilla dream, but I will let it settle for the day - against the will of my heavily protesting nostrils.
EDIT: At the end of an entire day of wearing, just as it was about to disappear for good, I sniffed a hint of sweetness. A little too late. I highly suggest sampling this before you buy it - I'm glad I did!

tedylee
tedylee

The color of this picture is totally not the color of real Havana Vanille bottle. The real ones are pretty like dark yellow to brown. This is my most favorite vanilla-scent fragrance anyway! :Q

jglass54
jglass54

The opening of Havana Vanille is off-putting, with a sharp leather/tobacco note, but as it developed on my skin, the fragrance settled into a lovely, rich, creamy rum/vanilla accord with hints of tobacco and leather, very warm and atmospheric. I love gourmand scents, such as Guerlain's L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, and I'd classify Havana Vanille as a gourmand scent due to its rum and vanilla top notes. I do smell a bit of narcissus and musk, as well. The scent lasts very well and every so often you get a delicious whiff of that rum/vanilla/leather/tobacco accord. Not as inspired as L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzing! or Timbuktu, but very wearable and intriguing.

vishnu
vishnu

Wow this is some good stuff it smells delicious and it last for more than 12hrs . Not more than 3 sprays and that's all it takes to do the job lol.

southernbelleinseattle
southernbelleinseattle

I am a vanilla lover. Vanilla fragrances are my favorite and I have a hobby of sampling all that I can! but I must say, this is my least favorite of any vanilla. Havana Vanille smells kind of harsh & bitter. to my nose it's absolutely not pleasant. It does smell smokey and burned, and I do smell vanilla, but it seems like vanilla mixed with burned plastic and something acrid. I like feminine faintly sweet (but not overly sweet) vanillas, but this smells kind of masculine, and there is no sweetness at all. This is definitely an unusual smell, but not something I'd want to smell on me or anyone else. If you want a smokey vanilla that's sweet try Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande or Guerlain Spiriteuse Double, though that one bourbony-rum-my; if you want a smokey vanilla that's not sweet and has some scent of a fresh tobacco leaf try Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. that is better than this but similar.

BethAshley
BethAshley

I love this beautiful gourmand. On my skin it smells like a rich vanilla extract. I do not get any rum or tobacco notes... Although I'm sure it's even better for those who do.

However, I will not purchase this fragrance. It fades so quickly on my skin that I would go through a bottle at such a rapid pace that it just wouldn't be worth the $$$.

floof
floof

On me this is moldy pumpkin. Putrid and disappointing. Too bad :(

9154mf
9154mf

By all accounts I should be in love with this soft but curvaceous powdery spicy fruity vanilla but the liquer note is just not agreeing with me. I don't hate this but something about the whole composition reminds of like a wooden cigar box that has been sitting in an old persons bedroom for many years. After a short time the liquer softens and the vanilla sweetens and it's less powdery- I like it right now but not enough to buy a bottle.

myolderbrother

I am head over heels in love with this soft romantic fragrance. Its been a loooong time since something was so divine I felt this strongly about it! This intoxicatingly beautiful fragrance is a gorgeous vanilla bean tempered with lightly buttered caramel rum. It melds with the skin while a light, clean and refreshing wintergreen playfully emerges. I had no idea I'd like this one, much less LOVE it! Amazingly wonderful!

BIG
BIG

on my skin it settles as cocoa-vanilla dust. it smells so delicious! i could literally lick my arm!

lucifera
lucifera

too bad this one didn't agrees with me! i love sweetest of the sweet perfumes and never thought i'd say this but this is just a bit "too" for me :-( i do love neil morris intimate vanilla though

ezdravkova
ezdravkova

perhaps the only vanilla fragrance that I actually like.. a lot at that.. it smells like vanilla in rum, very Havana-style.. on my skin, it develops best in hot humid weather/location :)

L'Artisan Parfumeur HAVANA VANILLE delivers on the promise of its name: this really seems like a taste of Cuba captured in a bottle: vanilla, rum, tobacco, tropical flowers, all stereotypical components associated with the island.

The opening of HAVANA VANILLE really smells to me like vanilla extract, but shortly thereafter the tobacco and rum become dominant. This is a good example of a truly boozy fragrance--a bit too boozy for my tastes, actually, as the rum persists all the way through to the drydown.

I should say, though, that I do not like rum at all, so I may not be the best judge of any perfume in which rum plays a key role, as the taste of that spirit makes me somewhat queasy thanks to a life-transforming rum and coke experience. The tobacco and vanilla work well together in HAVANA VANILLE but are somewhat ruined by the rum for me. Désolée!

IlDottoreFaustus
IlDottoreFaustus

I live in a rather hot region, and I usually do not care about the temperature, just wear the perfumes whatever I like to wear.

I thought Havana Vanille ought to be a scent for cold days, and still it has something not to my concent.
(I'd like there is 2 more drops of labdanum, 1 drop of benzoin and patchouli each :p )

But I wore it just few days ago, the day was a fiercely hot summer day. I found the powdery-gourmet sweetness no longer stand out; instead a subtle, deep wet-earthy leather tone governed.
(Is that someone calls the note as Duchaufourade? xD)
That was much to my holy ecstasy, I have to claim it loudly.

No wonder, Havana is not a cold region. This humid, smokey yet delicious vanilla scent is made to be worn in a hot day in mt opinion. I think anyone who wants to verify this perfume should at least try it on in 2 hot days respectively. :D

06/28/10
I watched a program about Cuba. It said so: Cuban taobacco farmers soak the tobacco leaves in water with either rum, vanilla or honey in order to remove the harmful resin on the surface. Now I believe that Havana Vanille is made to evoke the aura in a humid warm tobacco drying room!

Gosha
Gosha

...Havana vanille is warm, smokey and humid, creamy and rich and also powdery...It is vanilla and dried fruits saturated in aged rum exhaling gentle puffs of tobacco...it is very grown up sweetness, lively, but mature and nostalgic somehow...it is bursting with colors burned and mellowed in the years of scorching sun - terracotta, deep orange, crimson, dark yellow, emerald green...hot blooded and beautiful...

Migotka
Migotka

Oh L'Artisan, what have you done? Or actually, have you done anything at all?
I am generally enchanted-disappointed-happy about it. Enchanted, because it is quite a beautiful fragrance. Disappointed, because it could have been so much better. Happy, because my wallet will remain full (for a while at least).

Havana Vanille is till now the least Artisan-ish fragrance of them I have tried. It lacks the 'powderiness' I love so much in Bois Farine and I hate in Mure et Musc. I generally consider it to be something quite characteristic of the brand, it is however gone here.

The fragrance makes me think of a very rich, sweet white chocolate with nuts and raisins and dried figs. It has some alcohol quality to it, thick almond liqueur maybe? Very rich, creamy, sweet. The final phase is vanilla-woody, with deep, resin aroma. However, it certainly does not seem to be inspired by a “wooden boat mingling with the aroma of rum and spice”, rather by a posh hotel on a private beach, where people in the morning sip coffee from fancy porcelain cups before they are out for a party of tennis. It is not a scent of an adventure, but elegant holidays. It is too gourmand to evoke the true Havana. Nevertheless, it has something nose-catching to it. I would love to say that it is safe and boring and that you can invest your money better, but... I can't. Maybe this is what I might wanna have when I am in the mood for sweet delight.

Carnelian
Carnelian

This stuff is amazing. It goes on smelling, to me, exactly like a cup of my favorite chai tea - milky, sweet, spicy, and warm. To me, it's fairly strong. The only trouble is, there is a bitterness I can't appreciate. I am not sure if it's the "aged rum" or the smoked woods. As it dries down, it still smells great except for that darned bitter edge. The vanilla & spices are gorgeous, and I get the suggestion of there being tobacco with the tonka bean, etc. Really, it's an excellent fragrance, reminiscent of a humidor, I just can't appreciate every note in it. What a shame. (I got B&B Words Chai Tea a couple of years back without testing first, and was disappointed at how heavy the anise was; that was enough to ruin the rest of it.) Also, Havana Vanille did a funny thing, starting out fairly potent for the first couple of hours, and suddenly, I could not smell it anymore. I can't even find a trace of it where it was applied. It's a mystery.

sofiii
sofiii

Havana Vanille starts with some kind of cleaness and sweetness (in a perculiar way, it makes me think about tuberose, of course they smell different, but similar in the way they project clean, sharp and sweet aura) and mixed with spicy cinammon + vanilla combo.

Soon it smells like a comfy local cafe in the winter to me. It smells of nice sweet foody spicy, a little bit sensual, totally intoxicating in an innocent, comforting way. I suddenly got the image of Tai Chai Latte, a slice of raisin toast and me, sitting at the table and enjoying a book.

The dry down is something I would die for. It is sensual, sweet and truely intoxicating. I can smell something creamy and sweet like vanilla (I guess that's the resin + woodsy notes), and really great musk (the musk smell sweet, sexy, great quality and so real, it reminds me a lot of Musc by Bruno Acampora).

The sillage is shorter than most of my other perfume, it lasts a good 3.5-4 hours, and then even though I can still smell it, it doesn't have any projection. It's like a shy trace of vanilla icecream, left really close to my skin for another 3 hours.

A must try!

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I find it lightly spiced vanilla
although a bit lacking in umph..

I had hoped for a much stronger Tobacco..and Rum ..scent
what I get is a very SHY fragrance...
and frankly ...there are others that
can do it better with Pizazz!

Sorry .. this fragrance is for the meek at heart!

Zhara
Zhara

L'Artisan Havana Vanille transports me - one dose and I am suddenly sitting next to James Wormold right before he orders a daiquiri.

We wait in the hot sun, big-fendered cars crawl past us as the heaviest, sweetest vanilla mingles with the air drifting out of the packing rooms where cigars are rolled and wrapped. I feel the hard mosaic tile floor, the crushing weight of humid humanity in pressed cotton voile shirts.

Beautiful women with lacquered coifs walk by. Rum hangs in the air, barely able to escape liquid form to evaporate lazily across the bar.

What's the secret password? Vanilla.

libertybelle
libertybelle

I do appreciate this isn't a real sweet vanilla - sometimes a person doesn't want to smell like a cupcake shop. I also really like the powder element in this fragrance. The vanilla here on my skin reminds me of the extract used for baking. I don't know if it's the rum clouding it, making it smell cheaper than it really is, but it doesn't work on me. I find the tobacco really comes forward after 90 minutes which is very nice but not enough to move this to a love category. Well worth trying though.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This is not your plain old vanilla. After putting on a sample of my sample yesterday evening, I'm still smelling it this morning, in a very different form. The first thing out of the bottle was a white musk scent, followed a second or two later by a strong aroma of egg nog. The only way that I can stomach drinking egg nog is with prodigious amounts of rum, and this particular mix seemed miserly on the rum. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant foody scent with light vanilla, sugar and nutmeg, sort of an egg nog lite, creating an image like a translucent egg sunny side up, made out of vanilla extract, sugar and spice. That note lasted until I woke up this morning. The original egg nog scent was still on the shirt that I'd been wearing, but the scent on my skin had totally changed to a mostly fruity accord with hints of the promised tobacco and flowery things. I'm fascinated by the way that this evolves, and am sorry that I missed part of it while I was sleeping. After writing my review, I always go back and read the blurb. It's interesting that the notes appeared to me in a completely different order than listed, with many of the "base" notes coming out first, and the "top" notes only after many hours. One thing about this perfume - it has lasting power.

I got an onset of spiced vanilla with definite rum notes, very lovely and rich. After awhile, it began to dry down into what I can only describe as Egg Nog. This being tried around the holidays, that wasn't really a problem. The nog stage passed and left me with a lovely, warm faintly spiced vanilla that I really think I will have to buy. It's not too sweet or boozy, as others have observed, and has just the right amount of gourmand touch to keep it a true vanilla. Lovely and warm like a fine cashmere/silk sweater.

bronstein
bronstein

This one does exactly what it says on the bottle: It smells like vanilla, and wonderfully so. But beware! Some cook might confuse you...

akorni
akorni

Now it's my favourite parfum, I love it!!
Vanille, but not sweet, very special wearing.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Once again L'Artisan and Bertrand Duchaufour show us that perfumer still can make Perfumes.

Havana Vanille starts creamy, almost buttery vanilla that gets support from fresh tobacco.

I used to have Vanilla pipe tobacco and I enjoyed it's smell- it remains my best loved tobacco ever. Love that part.

Later composition sweetens and it feels like a moderate drop of rum added. Not boozy or sickly at all.

I recommend to try this one. Also will add that it lasts. It really does ^^

Suseken
Suseken

Well,i thought i could smell tobacco notes in its base,but on my skin i have a very foody scent with a doninating vanilla note.
So for me its a warm vanilla scent,nice for cold days.

I had a chance to receive a sample of this new Havana Vanille. I didn't expect much due to the notes. I'm not a fan of gourmand and liquer notes. Still I try everything L'Artisan at least once. I've never failed to be intrigued by L'Artisan creations. Most of the time their are enchanting even when they don't fit my type or my quest. I think of Dzonghka and Timbuktu...
Havana Vanille is a very gourmand scent like a very well made exquisite drop of vanillic rhum (if any exists!), very warm and inviting, but it's something I would rather drink in small doses rather than putting it on my skin! I did anyway. It smelled very boozy and very sweet for a while and very "Cuban" in a sense. In my imagery this is the smell of Cuban things: vanilla, rhum, tobacco. Not my cup of tea. I left it to set on my wrist for a while and in about 1 hour it became a syrupy vanilla marshmallow. Still nice, but not my cup of tea AT ALL! I'm not saying that it smells like Pink Sugar that makes me feel sick. Of course you can smell the mastery behind and I'm not trashing Havana Vanille forever. Just try it before buying. It's very personal.

Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) by L`Artisan Parfumeur 3.58 out of 5 based on 478 ratings and 84 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument), you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Havana Vanille (Vanille Absolument) by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.