Designers » L » Oriental Woody « Groups

Passage d'Enfer L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

I have it: 427 I had it: 121 I want it: 278 My signature: 10

smoky
Passage d'Enfer L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures Passage d'Enfer L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

Passage d'Enfer by L Artisan Parfumeur is an Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Passage d'Enfer was launched in 1999. The nose behind this fragrance is Olivia Giacobetti. The fragrance features lily, incense, woodsy notes and musk.

Lily Incense Woodsy Notes Musk

L'Ether
Bois Marocain

Passage d'Enfer Fragrance Reviews

argonianwarrior
argonianwarrior

This is one of those fragrances that I always find myself reaching for. It's incredibly light, but lasts an age! The heavy lily and spice opening is so distinctive and elegant, and the woody dry down, intermingled with that lingering smokey lily just elevates it to another level.

A truely beautiful fragrance.

(I'm not usually one for layering fragrances but I've found that Smuggler's Soul by Lush works quite well for this frag. The sandalwood adds an extra layer to the incense and spice aspects.)

lemonlye
lemonlye

Leave it to Olivia Giacobetti to create a frankincense fragrance that's light and airy, so unlike the heavy incenses you commonly find. I get the cool dank stone of an ancient building; fresh water with a mineral touch, like water from the garden hose; a hint of flowers; and a spicy, cedary, lightweight frankincense that dries down with a salty, hay-like feel, similar to one of the distinctive notes in Dzing! (another of Giacobetti's creations). It doesn't carry far and is never strong, and if anything I wish it was a tad stronger and lasted a little longer. But at the same time, I love its gentle and meditative nature, and a heavy fragrance might intrude too much. It's not hellish at all, but is certainly suitable for contemplations on spirituality or the Underworld. This fragrance fast became a favorite of mine.

jlfears
jlfears

This smells like a not-as-sweet version of my long lost MAC MV1 (which I keep trying to add to the database).

It's a definite incense and woods scent at first, with a hint of something tangy in the background. That tang soon becomes a soft lily, and the transition is seamless.

This is a very well done scent, but neither player (incense, lily) is strong enough for me ***when I wear it on my wrists or neck. However, the lily and incense are much stronger (and prettier, so that part at least is due to chemistry) on my clothes. If it smelled like that on my skin, it would be in my heavy rotation, and one I wouldn't be able to do without.

Passage d'Enfer ends up being a very, very light scent on my skin, lighter than any of the other l'Artisans I've tried. And the sillage is basically Zero. On my clothes, it lasts forever.

...and *from* hell makes sense ~ incense to creamy and tangy lily.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

"O human race, born to fly upward, wherefore at a little wind dost thou so fall?"

- Dante, Inferno, The Divine Comedy

This fragrance evokes the classic literary masterpiece of Italian Lit Dante's La Divina Commedia The Divine Comedy Inferno and Paradiso Hell and Heaven. It's a journey from the bowels of hell and up to Heaven. I was skeptical that a fragrance could actually evoke such a thing so I gave it a try and I thought why not I'm a perfume slut anyways. This fragrance is very strong as it opens with incense. It's got all the notes that create the effect of cathedral style incense: myrrh, olibanum, benzoin and incense. Smoky, dark, strong, overpowering. The musk is also clearly there from the start to further add some warmth and depth to the incense notes. This is a musk based incense fragrance and really does smell like the inside of the Notre Dame Cathedral. It smells like a prayer for salvation, a desperate longing for release and escape from the fiery smoke that threatens to consume you and kill you. After a while, as the fragrance begins to dry down, there is at last some nasal relief: white flowers. There's lilies tons of white angelic lilies and perhaps even soft little jasmine flowers. It's sweet and innocent powdery very powdery. It was quite a trip from the 9th circle of Hell to the 7th Heaven.

peter.frost
peter.frost

One of my favourite scents... It smells of incense for sure but it also smells of fire. It has that unmistakable edge of Flint. I absolutely adore this scent, when I wear it I always get comments asking me what it is and where to buy it. Really like nothing else I have ever smelt. Beautiful.

Hayley_6
Hayley_6

I've really fallen for this one, i love it for winter time as it reminds me of church and Christmas trees, I spritz it on my scarf and it absolutely blooms with incense.

stephan
stephan

My first incense love, many years ago. I wanted it to be my signature but it had the worst lasting power of all the niche fragrances I've owned.

nero77
nero77

Dry, peppery, cold incense...

This fragrance is a typical Olivia Giacobetti composition. She has the ability to do an incense fragrance extremely well. This one is no exception.

The name alternatively means Gateway to Hell or Rite of Passage. I think the second name is more fitting as it also is the name of the street in which the original L'Artisan Parfumeur boutique was located.

What we get here is a very dry, cold incense that has musk, lilly, and dry frankincense. It is extremely wearable, but very light. I would recommend it for lovers of incense.

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

This fragrance is so dry that you'll need a glass of water after the first whiff.

Passage d'Enfer has amazing tension in the opening. The bitter spice from the lily lifts the fragrance in a heightened-senses, anxious sort of way and the woods seem to be fragrant because they're heated - like the red cedar in a dry sauna. The musk facet feels personal and the smoke note feels distant; they further the "acceptance through fear" feeling one might have before entering eternal damnation.

Then the oddest thing happens...

Like the snap of a bow string, this fragrance releases all that tension and settles into something quite peaceful. The woods are used to construct a sacred place, and suddenly a light breeze flows through the open temple. You feel keen on the sounds around you: the chirp of a small rodent, the flapping of a bird's wings, the breeze rustling heavy foliage. You are reminded of your mortality but feel grateful and accepting instead of afraid. You are present in the moment.

I LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE.

tfirebaugh
tfirebaugh

1995. A chilly Saturday afternoon at St. Michael of the Archangel Catholic Church. A young Altar Boy is helping the kindly old Monsignor get the Church ready for the Easter Vigil. This is the highest of all Holidays.

The Altar Guild are busying themselves in the Sacristy, quietly and lovingly starching Father's white Alb and Chasuble. An Elderly Lady I'd often seen praying the Rosary before Mass expertly folded and pressed with force the iron, which hissed and steamed in service.

Fresh Stargazer Lilies were brought to the Church and placed on the Altar. Their perfume a gentle and welcome reminder of Spring, which was now dawning on a small Missouri farm village. I stood at the altar, next to the Giant Easter Candle about to be lit for another year. I held the bronze Censer as the Nobile Monsignor lit the coal--crackling and hissing as it began to gather heat and burn like a red hot ember in the darkened Church. He reached for a tin of fragrant Frankincense and Myrrh, its musty, resinous aroma wafted through the crowd.

Prayers were said, songs were sung and then the Paschal Candle was lit, and hundreds of parishoners, each with their own candles, created a ripple of light through the Sanctuary.

Light once again, had conquered the darkness.

This is what Passage D'Enfer is to me. A distant memory of simpler times, of devotion, of faith, and of unbounded hope.

KeLLStar
KeLLStar

Have to say that I love the name of this scent. Passage d'Enfer - Gates To Hell. If it was cheap enough I'd buy it on the name alone :)

At first Pd'E is haunting. It definitely smells like the passageway to an untoward destination. You smell a smokey waft (coming from Hell?) with what seems to be an oily residue. I can imagine the mouth of a cave, walls glistening with a hot substance that you don't really want to touch. The opening has a menacing yet empty melancholy feeling.

Pd'E then turns ethereal. Like, even though there is evil about, the feeling that salvation may be just in reach is there.

I love the transition between good and evil.

Unfortunately after this the incense pulls back & I get a mostly soapy scent. Luxury soap, milled to perfection, but soap none the less. The incense is there but in the background. At this stage the fragrance becomes a skin scent.

Yes, this is a Unisex perfume - it's not really feminine nor masculine.

The soap stage reminds me of a mixture of L’Ete en Douce with a little The Pour Un Ete - of course both of these fragrances are also Olivia Giacobetti creations for L'Artisan.

Not quite sure about this one, but if I see it for a good price I might be tempted.

Update September 2015 : I ended up encountering Pd'E for a great price and ended up buying a full bottle. I love it!

I find it quite interesting that although my actual bottle does have the soap stage I mention above, the wood & incense is slightly more pronounced.

So much better and it lasts much longer. It shows you the difference between trying a scent via a sample with a wand (yes it was an official L'Artisan manufacturers sample) & the actual spray.

So lesson learnt, this one must be sprayed to get the intended effect. The sample does not do it justice.

noisome
noisome

This has a much more prominent floral note than it used to, which imo is a good thing but if you're expecting the original version, don't.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Love this one! This is a very light, smokey incense and wood scent with a sweet lily. It is soft and draws you close with its mysteriously unsuspecting but inviting aura. It's very nice and I wish it had a stronger silage, but that would probably ruin its demure mystique which is befitting of its name, after all, the lure to the Passage D'Enfer, Passage to Hell, is lined with subtle temptations.

pauroj
pauroj

okay so i came back to check some of my reviews and it made me want to wear this one again and i must say this time it was completely differente , last time i wore this i could only smell smoke with some menthol , i mean go figure there is no menthol on passage d'enfer , this time it was a whole new story, fistly spray with caution it is a monster for the first few minutes i could smell this thing even without putting my nose anywhere near my wrist, second this time i did get the incense full and omg is like an incense stick the kind people use in yoga studios the ones in the blue box with a tiger or a buddha on the box , is good i mean is not something i would wear often but i guess on a rainy day it would be ok.

after a while it does mellows a lot but you can still smell the incense and honestly i get nothing more .

edit** after 5 plus hours i still smell some smoke and incense but with some very acrid note not pleasant at all is very sharp , tame but sharp

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

The Passage To Lily's Hell...

I love me a good church incense frag. I love the likes of Comme des Garçons Avignon, Heeley's Cardinal, Montale's Full Incense, or similar. However, as much as I like to smell church incense all day long, I don't think most people do outside Church. So I was looking for a more wearable incense to wear publicly...

Introduce Passage D'Enfer (Passage to Hell)...

By the accounts of a few reviewers I thought I was purchasing a wearable church incense frag...but disappointedly it is not what reviews have led me to believe..This is not to say PdE is a bad fragrance...it only means that it does not have the incense character I was hoping for..

PdE is lily bomb, and assault of white flowers. The scent of the lily is such and so polarizing that it takes too much away from the incense, leaving it outside character...here the white flowery smell of lilies dominate strongly. The only reminiscence of church this fragrance has is perhaps the smell of lily flower arrangements left near the statue or painting of the Virgin Mary at Catholic churches.

PdE feels cold and smells crispy, extremely soapy, very clean, and highly aldehydic (I know aldehydes aren't in the scent list of PdE in Fragrantica, but PdE does smell as if it had them because of this high pitched flowery smell aldehydes give to flowery perfumes, just as in Chanel No 5 (the queen of aldehydes)

I'd say this is a great fragrance for women. I can easily see many women liking this one as it smells very femininely elegant.

The longevity of this fragrance is EXCELLENT. For being an EDT, this fragrance lasts and lasts...this is saying a lot about PdE as EDT's don't last long on my skin.

Ladies, if you like clean, white-flowery fragrances, with incense in the background, do check PdE out. I think many of you will like this one

Guys, this is not an heterosexual masculine or unisex incense fragrance. Look elsewhere.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

'Passage d'Enfer' or 'Passage Through Hell' (Hell's Gates) is very tame to me, although I actually enjoyed this perfume more than I anticipated. I like this, because it's got a depth to it, but also a lightness, which makes it really easy to wear in hot climates.

During the opening, there was a harshness and soapiness, which reminds me of lemon on my skin (not listed as a note). I definitely get quite a bit of soap from that lily, and when anchored by the balsamic incense it's is a lovely combination, very well-blended and pleasing to the nose, as a fresh-smelling floral with a background of incense. The dry-down is softer, smoother, more airy and mostly incense on me.

A very soft, subtle and soapy-smelling sillage (soft sillage is usual for perfumes from this brand I think); longevity is for about 4-5 hours. Overall, this perfume was pretty and enjoyable, but I tired of it quickly :)

tonileefiore
tonileefiore

So happy that I finally mustered up the courage to begin posting reviews on Fragrantica...a website I heavily rely on and a website I love. The members here are great & I love visiting.

So, I recently decided (once again) to expand my fragrance repertoire and along with my love for "dark" fragrances, I realize I like incense fragrances a bit, too (especially complex ones and definitely for the spring & summer months). I LOVE rose-ouds and "dirty" or vintage rose fragrances; however such fragrances seem hard to come by at an affordable price. Having tried Etro Messe de Minuit, CDG Avignon, Heeley Cardinal, Biehl MB03 and Profumum Olibanum among others, I think L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer may be a winner...but I'm unsure.

PdE is a well structured, uncomplicated perfume that opens with clearly defined, sharp, shrill, distinctive incense & balsamic notes. Some might be grateful (due to the intensity of the opening) when the initial notes are immediately eclipsed by pleasant mid-notes of mixed white musk, chamomile and floral (lily).

After several minutes pass...nearly 20-30...PdE continues to unfold and develops into an ethereal aroma of balsamic, myrrh, frankincense, musk & vanilla. The final dry-down is a pleasant mixture of light, transparent, unencumbered incense & floral...this is NOT a dark or mysterious perfume. And yes, I imagine if you are a true "incense junkie," Passage d'Enfer will smell way too aquatic and light when all is said and done.

And that is what I love about this fragrance. Having tried PdE recently after experimenting with the above named fragrances, PdE seems suitable. Yes, I like the other incense fragrances a lot; but for one reason or another, they just do not feel quite right on my skin.

Many incense fragrances dry down in a primary masculine manner (for my tastes), while others are too church-y. There is that darn amber "barber shop" scent in some and others are too linear. Many incense fragrances land hard with singular "incense" notes...for one reason or another, they just do not work for me.

With my first CDC Avignon effort, a fragrance I intend on trying again this week, my husband said, "...the scent is okay...but do you really want to walk around all day smelling like a church?" I DID feel a bit odd wearing CDC Avignon. Something just didn't feel right.

I think Passage d'Enfer dries down nicely & I do not think it loses its "Gothic" effect. Like most L'Artisan fragrances, PdE DOES lose its punch after 3-4 hours and silage is quite low. PdE does play close to the skin.

PdE is available and affordable! Not certain about this one yet but it definitely is on the short list! Definitely worth a try! Going to re-try Messe de Minuit (the "newer" available version, which I hear is a departure from the older, much beloved fragrance) and CDC Avignon once again before I make a final determination! Will let you know!

smellsogood
smellsogood

This on me is a very cold, grey incense, not smoky, but incense before it has been burned. I'm not picking up the lillies and it is very linear, with a slight hint of soap. Not creamy soap, but a dry unused bar of the white, unscented type. Also not experiencing any longevity issues, this lasted hours and hours on me, with good sillage. Now all I have to do is give it a few wearings to see if I actually like it, as this has the potential to be a love or a hate, no middle ground here, as it is almost an anti-perfume and by that I do not mean bland.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Passage d'Enfer is straightforward. It is 100% pure white soap, albeit a soap of excellent quality, fit for Queen Elizabeth's soaking tub. Extremely musky with a good dose of lily. Truly a soap-lover's dream!

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

L'apertura è leggermente speziata e con un tocco di rosa e zenzero,poi varie sfumature di incenso e fiori , poi muschio bianco... Non mi dispiace, lo trovo interessante e intrigante.

kellymi
kellymi

Smokey, soapy scent--with a bite of lemon. The crispness of the lemon dissipates and it becomes smoother, a touch of sweet incense. It vaguely reminds me of Marni, the smokiness. It disappears quickly from the skin, less than 2 hours and it was gone, except for what I sprayed on my scarf. I love it, regardless.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Should you be moved to go forward to the altar upon which she stands and kiss the foot of the best statue of the Virgin at the Basilica here in town, you would notice that the smell of incense clings to her. If someone had recently left an offering of lilies, and the floor had been recently washed, you'd have the smell of Passage d'Enfer in a nutshell.

gabri11e
gabri11e

I have this deep infatuation with "churchy" smells. And this one delivers. It's a cold, marble church with quiet, contemplative incense burning and peaceful lilies. Still, I find something kinda sexy about it.

The first hour is full bottle worthy. Perfection. After that, if goes down hill. It starts to turn to soapy pencil shavings. There's a weird undertone to it that starts to come out, and that's really the best way I can describe it. Just...goes a little wrong somewhere. An hour after that, it's gone entirely.

It breaks my heart, because I just love this scent. I still might buy a bottle, because of that perfect opening, but it seems like a waste due to the dry down going so very wrong on me, and the poor staying power

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. On my skin and to my nose, I get mostly just soapy lily. I would say it's in the same vein as Hiris by Hermes because of the soapy floral. Projection and longevity are below average on my skin.

Passage d'enfer is a dark but fresh soapy scent on my skin. I get no metallic note, no flowers or Insence - just a dark but fresh soapy note - in a good way. Perfect to mix Passage with light flowery scents - great mix. Today I have Passage + R Cavalli edP - great mix

Passage d'enfer är en mörk men fräsch tvålig doft på min hud. I får ingen metall-not, inga blomnoter eller rökelse heller utan bara en mörk men fräsch tvålig doft - på ett gott sätt. Passage d'enfer är perfekt att mixa med ljusa blommiga dofter. Idag har jag Passage + R Cavalli EdP - perfekt!

Allinug
Allinug

A very strange perfume. At first it smells like some bubbling liquid with a discusting dirty smell and now it's still that bubbling smell but with lilies and something metallic, it's just awful. Lucky it's just a sample and not a bottle.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

Deadidol put this far more delicately than I'm inclined to. But, I agree that whatever virtues this perfume has are overshadowed on me by the smell of cheap white musk. If I concentrate I can get a little of the playful lightness that makes Dzing so pleasant. Mostly though I just try to ignore the horrible white musk smell that is emanating from my wrist.

Effluves
Effluves

Stained glass windows, cold stone, wood benches and a vase full of lilies in every corner. To me this scent is a mystique experience in itself.

It was love at first sniff. I never smelled anything like it before. Very hard to describe but Oh! so fascinating. A truly beautiful and elegant scent . I simply adore it !

nicolevilla
nicolevilla

I love this scent. Though it made me sneeze for the first year I had it, I kept coming back for more. While I don't go for signature scents, if I had to choose, this might be it. The combination of incense, woodsiness, and soft floral satisfies my urban-hippie ritual-loving flower-sniffing soul. Earthy and ephemeral, it would be at home equally in both Paris and Mumbai, though clearly its origin owes more to Baudelaire than to Shiva. It was with no small delight that I noticed the last couple times I wore it that my nose remained free and clear the entire hour or so it lasted.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

The idea of lily and incense sounds like an elaborate funeral, but this has more the feeling of sun-warmed wood.

To me Passage D'Enfer conjures up a sleepy village antique furniture shop, where warm July sunlight streams through the window to release the scent of fine old oak and cedar.

The proud proprietor keeps everything in perfect condition; beeswax has been lovingly rubbed into cabinets to reveal the wood-grain, but sunlight has warmed and evaporated away any trace of chemicals (though one commentor below did mention notes of Windex, maybe it's association!). I also get a hint of nutmeg, which I love

There's just the faint whiff of the owner's garden wafting through an open back door; the sweet nectar scent of mid-summer flowers and linen drying in the breeze

Although it's a woody incense I find it spring/summery in feel, because it has a fresh quality

It's uplifting, light, (best to spray a lot)but the longevity is good. Dries down to a soft woody musk. Good quality and it smells it!

deadidol
deadidol

A silvery, shimmery, evanescent thing that features crisp lilies and incense. The incense is crystalline, and the general composition is gaunt, primarily emphasizing the higher-register notes. It’s as if somebody EQ’d out the bass and the mids, but cranked the treble way up; it's light, but luminous at the same time.

Yet, unavoidable for me is a soapy note that overshadows the incense. This seems to come, in part, from the slightly medicinal facets of the lily, but the main source is a crappy dry white musk that really lets the composition down. While white musk bases are essential for such fragile and transparent scents to stay afloat, they do tend to raise questions as to how the composition accommodates them, or how the perfumer solved the problem by building the scent up in other ways. The musk here is simply too pronounced and cheap-smelling when a more indolic or even slightly waxy method would have proved more appropriate.

Although Passage d’Enfer held up much better than I’d expected it to (I was thinking two hours, tops), after the first hour or so, it really did become a borderline industrial scent over the lousy musk. With that said, I’m particularly sensitive to soapy notes in perfume (I loathe them), so my “overly soapy” might be someone else’s “not soapy at all," but in such a narrow, skinny, but otherwise tasteful scent, these problems are both amplified and unavoidable.

smellslikedimond
smellslikedimond

I cant seem to decide on this one if I LOVE or dislike it. Ive never had such a hard time making up my mind All I know is that I cant stop thinking about it when Im wearing it and keep catching a smell that I go.. Is that THIS perfume (have a few samples on) - Must be the incense that intrigues me

I think that means its a yes - of course I need to wear a full amount for full day to be totally sure

virga
virga

What a beautiful minimalistic composition – smooth incense and soapy lilies. I haven’t smelled anything like this before: it’s shy, but self-determined and oh so beautiful. Passage d'Enfer, like any other incense fragrance, must be tested on skin. It reveals itself slowly going from dusty and cold incense to warm powdery scent, both carnal and ethereal. It remains close to the skin and the silage is weak, but the quality of the ingredients means that you can almost bath yourself with this fragrance and it won’t become suffocating.

Hoxx
Hoxx

Lately, I'm having a lot of trouble with longevity with pretty much everything I like. This time, though, it's L'Artisan, so, it's a bit expected, unfortunately. You see, L'Artisan without longevity problems would be among the very best niche brands. Passage d'Enfer is another classic representation of that.

Olivia Giacobetti made a minimalistic fragrance around two notes - incense and lily. With those two leading way, and considering the name of the fragrance, I expected a dark composition, but, surprisingly, this one is everything but that. It is an incense perfume with lots of light and life. I don't get a lily note as pure lily, like in Charogne, for example, but, the way incense is modified - it's sweetish and waxy, even syrupy at times - suggests that the lily is present, although in the background. Even with that sweetish character, though, this perfume is still airy and ethereal, like a lot of other L'Artisans. Passage d'Enfer gets soapy in the drydown, with a smooth combination of faint woods, white musk and some of remaining incense, but that phase is so close to the skin you can feel it only with your nose on the wrist.

This perfume has a stamp of both L'Artisan brand and Giacobetti. Its simplicity is obvious, but is perfectly mannered and quite unique - in fact, I couldn't think of a single remotely similar scent, even with all those incense-based compositions. It also has a flaw of being too ethereal - it disappears within three or, if you're lucky, four hours, and for at least half of that duration it sits very close to the skin. This is one of the cases where you pretty much cannot overapply the perfume, so, a larger dose can help with the projection, but it probably won't make it more durable.

These Gates of Hell smelled a lot more like Gates of Heaven to me. A wonderful incense interpretation with a lot of character but with obvious longevity issue.

8.5/10

I totally get the same Windex opening as the previous reviewer. Passage d'Enfer is surprisingly soapy all things considered.
Although I am a lover of incense, I find myself wanting more lilies. I guess because I personally associate the scent of lilies with funerals and thus it would make this fragrance more appropriate to my perception. For that reason, in this genre I prefer ELDO's Charogne.
But, I digress. Passage d'Enfer is a sweetish incense, almost as if you're sniffing the unlit stick. Don't get a lot of smoke here. The lily note is fairly faint and a bit waxy.
Drydown comes quickly and is on the clean/powdery side. Not a fragrance that really pushes my buttons. Longevity is poor, less than 1 hour.

jtd
jtd

When asked recently that old chestnut, “Whom would you invite to dinner if you could have any 10 guests from history?” I was mortified as usual by the pedestrian quality of my answer compared to the great wits and intellects around me. I'd love to think of myself as a rounded person, but my head must've been in my perfume closet, and my answers were quite narrow. Edmond Roudnitska, Germaine Cellier, Bernard Chant... I was happy with myself, though, for the living perfumer I included, Olivia Giacobetti.

I've actually only recently found my way to Giacobetti’s work, but I am fascinated. I still want to investigate her fig and flower perfumes, but having experienced Dzing! Passage d’Enfer and Fou d’Absinthe, I'm sold.

I love the scents of the perfumes that I've tried, but I am drawn to her for her artistic approach. Dzing! captures my desire for a considered use of abstraction toward specific ends. Abstraction isn’t throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. It is a specific and complex means of revealing attributes of an idea or thing, and has only as much randomness to it as any other means of composing work does. Passage d’Enfer shows that thoughtful juxtaposition highlights the frame of reference, and bends contexts to create new and unimagined possibilities. Juxtaposition is never simply about the two ideas placed next to each other. It’s about the space between them, the artist and the audience and what they together make of it all.

While there certainly is more to the composition, Passage d’Enfer combines incense and lily and comes up with something both interesting and unexpected. While I can still make out the two components, my attention is mostly drawn to a third, new quality. It is creamy, soapy, spectral. It suggests an atmosphere like fog, which cannot be experienced in inches, but must be taken in in yards, over terrain. It has a comfortable density to the touch that feels like it would absorb sound. It has a giving property and maybe even a forgiving nature.

I know I'm reading a lot into this perfume. But that's what I want to do with perfume. And in order to do so I choose well-considered perfumes, ones rich with ideas. I've always loved the T.S. Eliot expression, “I will show you fear in a handful of dust.” It tells me about subject, object, the things between them, and intent. By the same token a smart, qualified perfumer can show a willing and informed perfume wearer the world in a bottle.

from scenthurdle.com

Desertedbeach
Desertedbeach

I love this perfume. To me it is sparkly incense - it feels like it is "up there" - I can't really explain it better. When I spray it I feel uplifted , light, ethereal. It's not a heavy incense on me. It's clear and effervescent. I just wish it lasted longer. I get a couple of hours and that kills me. I actually find it a superior scent to Avignon - there are more layers and it feels more nuanced. Such a great fragrance but for the money I really wish it last longer. I save it for special occasions because of this as I have to SPRAY and SPRAY.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

Nine-syllable review: What the Hell? Heaven smells like Windex?

Incense and lilies… Such an easy scent to re-create in my mind's nose. Such an easy scent to crave, since for me, it's the scent of holiness and ultimate mystery -- of midnight mass and Easter vigils.

A soul longing for the scent of heaven isn't expecting the scent of Windex. But Windex is the first thing I get from Passage d'Enfer: I could swear Windex is the top note of this fragrance.

The lily in Passage d'Enfer is a fresh, ethereal lily. It's the kind of virginal scent we might imagine Madonna lilies having, instead of the narcotic, fleshy scent they actually do have. The incense in Passage d'Enfer is likewise fresh and ethereal. Which means that neither the incense nor lily can drag the perfume back from the realms of "sparking fresh" and "squeaky clean" once the initial association with Windex is made.

Eventually, the "sparkling fresh" top notes begin fading and sweet woodsy notes start emerging. I begin smelling wood spritzed with Windex (certainly an improvement over Windex straight). Then, at long last, all traces of Windex disappear, leaving a scent which is really quite heavenly.

Alas, the memory of Windex remains after the smell of it has faded, making it hard to appreciate the heavenly scents that follow. Altogether, Passage d'Enfer lives up to its name: to expect Heaven and to be greeted by Windex in its stead is to journey through the gates of Hell and back.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Passage d'enfer is an almost pure incense fragrance to my nose. There is a light touch of flower to fresh up the scent, some woody notes and some musk. But they all serve to complement the incense. The scent doesn't change much during the wearing, juste a bit more woody while gradually fading. The sillage is close and it lasted at least 6 hours on me.

The incense in Passage d'enfer is actually quite impressive. It's so realistic that it immediately makes me think of Chinese temples. Due to this fact, to me it's more an ambiance fragrance than an actual perfume that I'd wear in person. But it worths trying especially for incense fans.

esteban747
esteban747

Lily, incense, woods, musk...how can this be an 'uplifting' scent?
And yet, it is.
Surprisingly light and delicate, a 'naked' type of fragrance, very natural and close to the skin.
It's not an attention grabber and still you can tell the scent is there.
A wonderful perfume.

smkoerber
smkoerber

This scent is so close to the skin it becomes part of you. I did use it sparingly, as I do with all perfumes. It is fresh, unique, and completely uplifting, for close encounters.

sofaifer
sofaifer

Expensive but worthy. I can´t describe it with words, the person who might be interested in incense parfums has to try this beauty him/herself at least for 3 or 4 days and have his/her own experience with it. I just can say is a very spiritual and pure esence, by me smells very natural and real, as I know the incense smell by burning the resine at home. I became addicted to this parfume... If there is an eau de parfum or any stronger version of this masterpiece I will buy it for sure.

Baloma
Baloma

My Mum gave me this out of her wardrobe. A delicate, unobtrusive incense that is far more nuanced and beguiling that CdG's Avignon. When I was young and we'd travel to my parent's homeland in the Nile Valley for the summer, people used to prepare these incense pots full of mastic, frankincense, sandalwood, and other spices. They would then drench the concoction in French perfumes - usually Fleurs D'Amour - before igniting it. Olivia Giacobetti distilled one of those pots in this bottle.

ivy818
ivy818

First, I'll say...this was a blind swap, and I absolutely **LOVE** it. There are only four notes listed, and yet there's something that I can't quite identify in this fragrance, something that I love. I'm not sure if it's the smoky, incensed lily, I don't know. But I do know that I can't stop smelling this...I think it's wonderful.

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

Oh nooooooooooo...another full bottle worthy wish!

Nothing you couldn't do or be wrapped in this. Very spiritual, gothy, clearing your head.

Amazing incense, clean, crisp, I almost get a citrussy feel.

raw umber
raw umber

Passage d'Enfer begins with smoky floral incense. The incense seems lit to me, emitting a fine ribbon of smoke, but it also has a powdery quality as if it were still unlit and waiting within its long, fragrant cardboard box.

Passage d'Enfer excels at balance. It is difficult to separate and identify the individual elements. It smells like "itself," which in my opinion, is the mark of a unique and well-blended fragrance.

It sometimes reminds me of the incense burned at road stops in Western China near the bathrooms as air freshener. Passage d'Enfer however, is more floral and fresh and soapy than those thin pungent sticks. In the drydown, the woods and powder become more prominent, but the incense continues to form a soft trail.

Projection is good, and longevity is some of the best I have known from L Artisan.

I think this fragrance is perfect for cool overcast or rainy days in Spring, because the fresh wet gray of the weather is the perfect compliment to this smoky pink and balmy incense.

I could also see it layered nicely with a rich tropical, high-quality body lotion like coconut or gardenia.

tourmali45
tourmali45

One of the strongest olfactory impressions of recent time. Strong oriental lily with leathery animalistic touch and smoky insense - and I’m at the heaven’s gate, not down under. It’s the strongest full bottle wish I have now.
There was a strong sour note in the middle that almost spoiled my almost spiritual experience. Luckily, this unknown note was short-lived, and was substituted by a divine sedarwood and even more pronounced insense.
This is a catholic church smell for me, Pd'E depicts vast cool cathedral after the mass. There is still a smell of burnt insense, fresh summer lilies in vases and intricate wooden carvings of saints.
This one is a serious scent, I wouldn't want to do anything frivolous wearing this. On the other hand something totally slutty and trashy is called for: like Tarts and Vickars party in Bridget Jones's Diary. And I love both sides of this perfume!

Vcederman
Vcederman

I had really high expectations of this fragrance but was disappointed. I put it on my wrists and had to wash it off not 5 minutes later. A reminder why testing a fragrance before buying it is essential.

rosarita
rosarita

I use Pd'E as a layering scent most of the time. It's lovely but the sheer, transparent quality lends itself to "boost" another light scent. Much of my collection is incense and woody orientals, heavy hitters, but also some lighter incense like Un Jardin Sur le Nil and Shaal Nur, and Passage d'Enfer smells great combined with these. It also adds a pleasant base for florals. By itself, it smells clean and somewhat watery with a wisp of smoke, and yes, it doesn't last long.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

This was my first L'artisan bottle: a floral woody incense.
It has this nice "leathery/suede" feeling, I find it polite and mysterious, but nothing like a church scent. It's very clean too, but sometimes the musk makes it smelling wicked.
Unfortunately, it doesn't last too long, and after 4 hours becomes close to the skin scent. Still love it, this is my favourite L'artisan so far!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

After trying this scent twice more I had to edit my review. I still like this the best of any of the L'Artisan scents and I have sampled almost all of them. I really love the bright peppery notes. However, each tme I try this juice again it seems to be fainter and fainter on my skin. I think I would have to spray on half of the expensive bottle to be able to smell it. Therefore, I will not be buying a bottle of this scent. Quel dommage- such a nice scent but not enough projection to make it "wear-worthy."

assuom
assuom

This one of the very few fragrances of L'artisan parfumeur whch has excellent longevity. To me the fragrance is very reminiscent of the incense burnt in church. There is something quite mysterious and strongly masculine about this fragrance. One of my favorites.

lakuota
lakuota

Mmm, something interesting. I liked it. Though smelled better from a bottle than on my skin, where it turned soapy about 1 hour after application. But that first hour, whoa, it was worth it!
I love incense in perfume, and i hate lilies in perfume. Well, after smelling Passade d'Enfer I will surely change my mind about the second part of the previous sentence. Lilies are not for me in strong floral perfumes, they just kill me, but here, coupled with incense, it was just fantastic. I discovered completely different side of lily and I am very very content of that.
I think it is a very different perfume, refined, elegantly clean and cold, but rather not a classic one. I mean, you have to have the courage to wear the perfume that smells like funeral of young virgin - it's flowery, it's fresh, but it is still a funeral. Maybe that's why musky base turns out very soapy on me. Carnal musk has this property of appearing in a very seductive and animalic way. But if the body is not alive any more? If the body is not a body anymore? I don't want to say I smell a corpse here in any way. But the idea of the gate to hell gives some explanation to that. Hell may be not the hot caldron, but the cold desert in the middle of nowhere. I get this impression after smelling Passage d'Enfer. I would like to own a FB - has kind of a philosophical effect on me :)

rosarossa
rosarossa

No, L'Artisan Parfum is not for me: nice fragrances not very strong, already tested thanks to a friend but this is particulary thin, some eau de cologne are more lasting, this is only nice. Pity...

nada
nada

I liked it but since I have Elixir, no point of buying as it is virtually the same. Nice but nothing new there, same creator, same smell.

Unfortunately, on me this fragrance almost doesn't smell the lily at all. Besides, it smells the frankinsense note on me far from being intensive. Somehow most of all it smells the musky note.

It doesn't seem to me charming or even interesting. Actually, I don't like it. Not the by L' Artisan. And it's called creepy enough.

clarasays
clarasays

I see I'm in a minority, but I get straight-up bar soap scent in this. I can smell the incense, but also a very odd, very fresh scent. It also smells very masculine to me.

Strange_Alchemy
Strange_Alchemy

I was surprised to realize that it smells very much like Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar. In fact, the two scents are almost indistinguishable on me...except for the fact that Passage is more sparkly - greener - than Vanille Sauvage. Like the difference between the scent of a freshly broken new branch and musty dark wood.

I like it well enough, but it fades too *quickly* on me. In an hour and a half, I couldn't smell it at all.

I'll give it another try and ask my sig. other if they can still smell it on me at the end of the day. If not, it's not worth paying so much for it.

bluelilas
bluelilas

I totally agree with Silverfire..:)..I love this perfum!!!!

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

I don't get it...Why could many people detect the incense note but me?
For me, this is a purely Lily perfume, nothing else.
When I first spray it, I could smell a whole bunch of freshly cut lilies; however, it soon turns to a soapy scent for a long long time, very sharp and somehow synthetic.
Much later, it goes back to a pretty nice lily scent.
*longevity: 8/10
*Sillage: 7-8/10

SilverFire
SilverFire

The name of this fragrance initially bothered me; I didn't want to smell like the gates of Hell. Then, L'Artisan stated that this was the name of a street instead of a scent-painting of a particular place; ok, I thought. I'll bite.

What transpires after applying is one of the best incense scents I've ever smelled. It seems that there are three different kinds of incense rising and wafting around you (one of these is the lillies, I'm sure); they are equal in strength, each balanced against the others. None predominates. The effect is one of otherworldly timelessness and a sense of rising above/beyond this transient existence. I've never had a fragrance lead my thoughts that way before. Very cool.

Now, some will protest that the scent doesn't evolve from its initial aroma, and that's true. What you smell like initially is what you will continue to smell like. If you don't like it at first, time to scrub. Me, I don't mind linear scents.

It lasts six to eight hours, gradually decreasing in sillage along the way. Speaking of that, the sillage is never overwhelming, but just a pleasant, medium level (five feet or less).

Passage L'Enfer is a unique, interesting, quality fragrance. On the fragrance report card, it scores an A.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

To me, the name conjures up imges of the Hell’s Gate canyon in southern British Columbia, a rush of churning whitewater down in a deep gorge at the point where the Fraser River passes through the narrowest point in its course.

I’m not sure what I was expecting from this EdT - an aquatic based on my own peculiar associations with the name, or strong, smoky incense based on things I’d read. In any case, it wasn’t musk, but at first, musk is all I smell. Then gradually there appears a soapy floral note along with a hint of the incense I’d been half expecting. It’s never smoky or goth-y, always light, clean, upbeat and pastel-tinted, staying close to the skin. I don’t really recognize lilies in the floral component, which just seems like a floral-scented soap. The light floral-incense-musk mix stays fairly linear until it fades away after 4-5 hours.

I like Passage d’Enfer, but it reminds me of bland classical music played at very low volume in an upscale restaurant - something to provide a pleasant background ambience rather than something to actively listen to.

Camin
Camin

The same thing happened to me as happened to Armchair Sailor. I put on what I thought was a generous amount and seriously, within a few minutes I could barely smell anything. I thought there was something wrong with me, but I see someone else has had that experience too. I wish I could smell what everyone else is getting. I didn't even have time to name what I was sensing. Maybe a very very vague pipi du chat. I guess I'll try again.

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

It might be the best perfume in the world. But here's what happened to me: I sprayed it on my left wrist (on the right I had Dzongkha) then I came back to the university in time to smell them properly before a lesson. Guess what? Twenty minutes after spraying it, Passage d'enfer was gone. Completely. So, I have a vague idea of what it smells like, as I've smelled briefly when sprayed. I remember spices. Sort of. It seemed interesting.
But fifteen minutes of persistence? No, thanks.

Motivated
Motivated

Heverton you described it wonderful:) I agree with you letter by letter.
In the time searching your PATH, maybe reading "The Shack", trying to go down deeper and deeper is the best having the smell of Passage on you. Taking you to a calm and balanced world, where you should not meets requirements of others.
I understand that it is not for everyone.

Heverton
Heverton

Passage d'Enfer is the most spiritual fragrance that I've had the opportunity to meet. We don't have here the pure abstraction of the environment inside a church, as in Avignon, but instead, a full transposition to a rite of passage.

L'artisan was able to capture with this scent, the end point of every life, death, especially it's religious aspects.

This scent opens with a cadaverous smell, similar to the smell of bodies as being veiled. That distinctive smell of flowers combined with incense, a mysterious opening where Lily is fully present along with a very characteristic aroma of myrrh.

Named gates of hell, I was expecting the same as knightz expected. A pungent scent, extremely strong, invasive, and even repulsive, representing to me within it's evolution, the nine circles of hell as described by Dante Alighieri in hi's most famous work The Divine Comedy, instead we have in this smooth scent(and no less remarkable), the final part of Purgatory, with the removal of sins committed by Dante in life and thus the subsequent ascension into heaven.

Passage d'Enfer is the embodiment of the liturgical chant Kyrie eleison (Lord have mercy on us). A spiritual masterpiece. Definitely a scent that is not for everyone. When you have the opportunity to smell this fragrance, track it's progress by watching this video on youtube (watch?v=L1lz7JAXe54&feature) and so you will understand the perfect image that Giacobetti Olivia was able to capture with her creation.

puddley
puddley

Oh eck, sample tested on my arm 3 hours ago and still making me feel exactly as described by Cereza below, an accurate observation..
I ADORE many aspects of L'artisan's range and admire their eccentricity and creativity but this is creepy, musty and unfortunately long lasting.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

Bless me Father, for I have sinned...
I would call it a spiritual perfume. It's a serious perfume, just like the spiritual path. Life and death. Not for everybody, and certainly not liked by everybody. Yes, the incense, the lilies, the musk, and the ginger (hence the soapy character) are all there. What I really enjoy is its ethereal nature (like all L'Artisan creations), which makes it wearable and enjoyable, and on me unlike others it lasts around 8 hours!
A wonderful fragrance, which reminds us that maybe in order to earn our paradise, we have to go through hell...

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Yes, I agree with Cereza's review. This fragrance creeps me out. Yes, I get the faint odor of death and funeral homes. Lifeless bodies. Morbid. The lillies. The ghosts. Won't wear it but will toy with my sample.

Cereza
Cereza

I have a problem with Lily in fragrances, that flower creeps me out. Really. It reminds me of funeral, of death, cemetary, sadness and emptyness. I have no idea why it it's like that.
Passage d'Enfer is all about lily and woody notes. I can feel dry cedar, there are bits of incense, but not too noticable. The scent itself is enjoyable, but this creeps me out. No wonder it's called "The Gates of hell".
Sorry, really, it reminds me of the way dead people smell when they are prepared for funeral. Not bad, but creepy. Not something I'd like to smell like...EVER.

moly
moly

I'm enjoying wearing this immensely, although the smell of "Passage d'Enfer" is unfortunately evaporating so fast. Subtle and spicy all in one, really comforting fragrance. And isn't it true that a way to hell is such a comfortable and welcoming one, while a way to heaven is tiring and hard?
The incense here isn't as strong as I remember from catholic masses, than it was overwhelming. In "Passage d'Enfer" it's so subtle and wonderful with a hint of lily's sweetness.

xabaras
xabaras

After reading about how good it was I finally ordered my own sample bottle. I got it this morning and from the moment I sprayed it on me I absolutely loved it!!! It's delicate, sweet, fragrant like a cologne but the musk and the incense in it make it sublime, refined. It makes me think of a wonderful sunny day in Spring when it's still cold. I think it's elegant and sexy. The only down factor that I can find is that on my skin it disappears after about 4 hours, but I think that I'll buy the big and expensive bottle and will just reapply during the day...Passage d'Enfer is definitely worth the money!!!!

jae
jae

Passage D'Enfer. The description given by L'Artisan Parfumeur is:

"A light and enveloping incense water awakened by musky notes. A pure and hypnotic blend, that carries you off to seventh heaven."

There's obviously some sort of symbolism here, especially given the floral note in the composition. Lily has been often used to symbolize purity, chastity and virtue (The Virgin Mary). One could conclude that the name of the fragrance is the point of ascension, based on the given description and the symbolism of the one floral note.

Addressing some of the perceived sexual connotations of the fragrance: the lily flower is also a symbolism of fertility in ancient Egypt and sexuality in ancient Greece.

Whatever the case is, I'm glad to have it in my collection!! Though sillage is moderate and the lasting power will vary on different people, it becomes a delightful skin scent after about 5 minutes. I love how these notes are blended and you can detect every single note listed by Fragrantica. L'Artisan Parfumeur has created an interesting fragrance in Passage D'Enfer which aromatically and symbolically appeals to both religious people and pagans alike.

Kterhark
Kterhark

When I saw Giacobetti's name on this I knew two things: I would like it, and it would be short lived.

Yes to both. Most before me are describing a nice 'hanging on your clothes' scent, and i agree with that too.

What I find interesting here is the lily note, which my chemistry lifts up (and sinks the musk). As a result I get a very fresh, spring floral wrapped in incense. It's a gentle, pleasant combination; not at all harsh, sexy, or suggestive.

I too wish this lasted longer, which is the only criticism i give it.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Good scent for sure like all L'Artisan fragrances. BUT like most of their stuff, this is too light without sillage and duration. Last only 2-3 hours on clothes!
Sad cause they have great smelling things out there...

solocha
solocha

This is a scent with a big edge. If i ever decided to wear latex or leather suit with the metal chains and heavy rock boots, I'd wear something like what is Passage d'Enfer in the beginning . The first notes are the eyes of thousands of devils in the pits of fiery hell, where the main feature is not the heat but redness and smell of metal - a cold smell of cooking metal, if it makes sense. After that all this changes into the shaving cream. I'm in the middle of trying now, but I don't expect the fragrance to change back to that firmament-inspired piece of artwork in the end. I have mixed feelings - the beginning to very good, later it disappears.

desmondorama
desmondorama

I bought this expecting the most sexy, carnal fragrance, but after buying it and realising it wasn't, I read that this perfume (Gates of Hell) was named after the street address where L'Artisan Perfumes is located in Paris.

It has nothing to do with any religious theme. I love it, but many of my friends dislike it. It does smell very 'churchy' to me and that's a wonderful feature of the parfum. I see it more as a masculine fragrance, but have never smelled it on a woman's skin before.

This storyline is a quoted from Osmoz.com - "Created in late 1999 and first featured on curled paper, the Passage d'Enfer eau de toilette (Rite of Passage) was designed by L'Artisan Parfumeur to celebrate the "passage to YK2."
After this original and light incense eau enjoyed great success, L'Artisan Parfumeur packaged it in a flacon to add it to the Jeux d'Ambre universe.
Passage d'Enfer hugs the body and floats up to the sky with a scent of spellbinding musk. It is a symbolic fragrance, a peace pact between spiritual and carnal. It is a universal eau that shrouds and dresses the skins of men and women of the new millennium."

I'm unsure which story to believe now ....

vioversilver
vioversilver

With the name this possesses I was expecting hellfire & brimstone - instead this is has a nice soapy incense smell to it. This perfume also suggests the smell of fire & smoke that has caught in my hair after I've burnt brush or wood in my firepit outside , which I like that smell by the way , it agrees with me.

This also smells alot like my home after I've dusted the furniture using lemon oil, I also burn all kinds of incense in my home, including the natural resins like frankincense & myrhh, so these smells mix really nice, kind of like an old church smell - or temple..which is the effect I get in the mood for when I want to chill out for a while.

This is no road to Hell to me, but more of a quiet sanctuary smell , with all the incense & smokiness - there's also a dampness to this perfume which futher evokes the idea of an ancient temple still being used for some kind of worship.
This is a very atmospheric fragrance, makes me think of songs dealing with dark creatures,I'm thinking Sarah McLachlan's 'Building a Mystery' (I love the lyrics to that song!) & then even darker, Type O Negative's 'Black no 1', perfect soundtracks for this fragrance!
Not harsh smelling at all, this is very evocative of dark ,ancient places of worship,this is what the lingering smells of ritual in those places would smell like.
I love this!

fpih
fpih

It would seem, I am one of the few who smell the lily stronger than the incense in this one. To me this is a lily fragrance for grown up women, nothing sweet or innocent about it. I guess it's the incense's work, which for me adds this darker, mysterious, cooler tone. I absolutely love it and wear it, mainly in the summer, on its own but also layered with others -usually florals- as well. The lasting power is awesome, a whole day on me, even if the sillage is not that great. I've run to the middle of my 3.4 oz bottle in less than 6 months, with over 20 FBs in my collection, so that should tell you something. A very unusual fragrance, so simple and yet so unique. Try before you buy though; it's either love or hate with this one.

lucifera
lucifera

yess finally got a chance to try it,there is much incense indeed and it reminds me church smell its sexy tough.. not sure if i want to smell like that :-p, its slightly similair to galliano but more floral..longlasting as well
just my luck they stop selling it in the store were i want to buy it :-(
it was a hard choice between lady
vengance and gates of hell.. if it was for me i bought both!
glad i could get a sample!

Trvevil
Trvevil

I am in love with Passage d'Enfer. With a first spray it's incense I lusted for, many times found in other perfumes, but not enough amount for me. It's like sacred aura- it's not very strong sillage monster, but it's trail is intriguing. All way home I sniffed my wrist and thought that I found one of my top loved perfumes.
Some people may find it too much real to wear or it would recall burial stuff (especially if russian orthodox church pope attends and while he prays he shakes that stuff with burning incense).
It's suitable cold day, rainy day, whatever type of day even today, when it's hot, it's perfect.
I picture dark church or cathedral which was rebuilt many times and bears signature elements of passed eras such as gothic and others. There's old benches and they are saturated with incense.
Now updated, more accurate description:
First spray and immediately it's incense with a little lemony note, that you will rarely ever notice, because it's hidden as undertone and sounds/suits it well. At first, for some time, it reminds me the dry spices of Timbuktu, the edible smokiness of Dzongkha. But it's incense, incense- true, even something evil about it. I won't picture any light, sunny church, more sounds like medieval or older time one, that hasn't been touched by minimalism and has it all- uber decorated, it rather screamed - Fear!- to average citizens :3
It's different, yet brings me some comfort and makes me feel more confident.

UPD. So. Opening is very resinuos,you know? Smells exactly like resin from pine tree. It has alittle lemony undertone, but it's alive to death. Next is hot, burning smell of incense and lily that settles down into incense + musk aura-like smell. Simply divine. It kind of sometimes I think 'Where do that Narcisso Rodriguez comes from?' It just is musky combo from PdE. So they share something common right there. At start it used to have headaches from it, but then it went away.

Lasting power is great- not only I can feel it all day (feels like some kinda aura, as it's not overly intense, but you will notice it around), I tried to put it on before going to bed and next day woke up and immediately felt it around.

P.P.S. Proud owner of 3.4 bottle :P

Passage d'Enfer?? strange name for such a lovely gentle fragrance, unless this is a trap!
I'm wearing it today and I can only see a small piece of heaven! It's kind of experiment for me, because this is not my kind of scent at all when it comes to personal scent or signature. I think it's more of a confort scent for me. The smell is veeeery pleasant to my nose! I smell mostly incense from the beginning to the end. On my skin it's definetely an incense scent, I would say a "soliflore" of incense. Other notes are there just to compliment. They add a good woody vibe. No sandalwood is listed. Strange. I can smell sandalwood here and it reminds me of Tam Dao. I can't smell any flower in a distinct way. The musk gives some depth. It's such a clean fragrance! It's a little cold/brash for the first seconds then it slowly warms up, gently enveloping the person in a soft aura of protection and well-being.
No Hell here unless Hell is cosy warm place that reeks of delicate incense! Who knows?
I think this is very unisex and it probably melts differently on each skin. On my skin Passage d'Enfer is very delicate and contemplative. It reminds me of beautiful Acqua Santa by La Via del Profumo. It's a scent for the soul and for skin, but not very mundane. It's not sexy nor attractive in a frilly way, still it has some attractiveness.
It would be nice to recover into a small temple far from the mading crowd wearing this and a simple confortable cloth, maybe in company of a Buddha statue. If you need an escape wear this and put a board on your back "Gone to Heaven, not sure I'll be back, take care"
This is the feeling that Passage d'Enfer gives me at first. Sure, after 1 hour of smelling this on my wrist I could end up anywhere, maybe even a Kamasutra session. Mmmm... making sense about the name!

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i'm surprised by the warm notes listed for passage. i get something very fresh and sharp from it with a touch of powder at most. it is very subtle and close to the skin. not bad only it is a little dull. i think that if it were louder, my eyes would be watery. ee.

Mals86
Mals86

I was looking forward to trying Passage d'Enfer, since I love incense and enjoy lily. After dabbing from a sample vial, I was greeted by a fresh, breezy pine scent, which was followed by a pleasant floral. Unfortunately, after that stage, PdE began to smell like... shaving cream. Yes, instead of incense and musk and woods, I got Freshly Shaved Guy. I really do not enjoy smelling like Barbasol myself, so eventually I had to scrub it off. I wish it worked with my chemistry, but it doesn't.

Slightly personal musk and creamy floral, almost like a lightly scented makeup. Very pretty, creamy scent. Delicate, smooth, a little bit sexy, but no sign of hell. Fades way too fast, though.

knightz
knightz

With a name like Passage d'Enfer (translates to 'The Gates of Hell'), I thought this was going to be aggressive, if not outright evil. It's not. It's a lighter and more simple scent than others by L'Artisan, not strong at all. It's not what I would call a 'light' scent, nor is it strong or heavy. Low to medium sillage.

It has a Lily note with Incense, very light Myrrh, and light Musk. Linear.

I like the stronger scents the best. Passage d'Enfer is more like an Eau de Cologne. A closer skin-scent, but it does have some lasting power.

I think it was the name that made me expect more of it. I would expect 'The Gates of Hell' to be strong, smokey, and full of mischievous and irresistible invitations, with a touch of untamed nastiness. It's not that deep.

I do like it very much. Many other L'Artisan fragrances are much stronger than Passage d'Enfer. Nice, and almost a 'safe' scent, but not my first choice, it's about my fourth choice in L'Artisan scents.

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

Oh, this is a wicked, wicked perfume. Be warned, fragrance fans; this is not for the faint of heart...

Now, dear readers, I must admit to a lifelong passion for deeply seductive musks; the ones that make perfume virgins hitch up their skirts and scream as they run in the opposite direction. Never for me the wishy-washy florals and oceanic breezes of my (then) teenage contemporaries. I have always lusted after animalistic incense, smoke and great fat clots of punchy patchouli. As long as it's the good stuff, the richly aged elixirs, absolutely NOT to be confused with cheap bottles of weave-your-own hippie types found mouldering in sadly faded New Age health stores.

No, my dears, I yearn for the kind of scents a courtesan may have worn. The kind that corrupt the innocent and beguile legions of men. And I am here to tell you that this is the Queen. This is , indeed, the road to Hell as it will ruin you for all other pretenders to the throne. From the first sniff I was hooked. And shocked. It actually shocked me how deeply subversive and naughty this smelled! And it's not just me and my dirty mind: others have commented using just those words. I was once at a party with friends (we were all dressed as Victorian Prostitutes - it was a Jack the Ripper theme) and I knew I had to wear this perfume as part of my costume. One of my friends exclaimed that someone "...smells absolutely wicked, so naughty!" and I had to stifle a smile. I knew it was Passage d'Enfer. She sniffed my neck and confirmed it, demanding to know what the perfume was and where she could get some.

This is what hooks me, what constantly surprises me, and what I have to be in the mood for: Intense lily followed by great billowing clouds of smoke and sweetly burning incense; a musky, powdery drydown that lasts and lasts.

As I say, I adore this but have to be in the mood for it, otherwise you can find it's one of those perfumes that can end up wearing *you*. Not an every day scent, then. Not unless you're Theda Bara.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Passage d'Enfer by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Passage d'Enfer by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.