Designers » L » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Piment Brulant L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

cacao
Piment Brulant L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

Piment Brulant by L`Artisan Parfumeur is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Piment Brulant was launched in 2002. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour. The fragrance features amber, cinnamon, musk, poppy, vanilla, dark chocolate, cacao, clove and chili pepper.

Amber Cinnamon Musk Poppy Vanilla Dark Chocolate Cacao Clove Chili Pepper

Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Piment Brulant Fragrance Reviews

Betsywoolbright
Betsywoolbright

This is an odd fragrance. Spicy and vegetal at the beginning. Not too pleasant. Awful-smelling on paper. But it warms on my skin, and the drydown smells amazingly like Dzongkha's drydown. Not identical, mind you. But FAR more than one would have predicted, given the listed notes, and the lack of similarly between them.

Blowfishes
Blowfishes

Piment Brûlant Review

Starts with a traffic light set of bell peppers - think green, then progressively getting sweeter through yellow then red. This lasts for the first 30 minutes as we start picking up slight amber and clove layered over a thicker poppy scent. I get no development into cacao or cinnamon, and the dry down of vanilla and chili pepper warmth kind of seems out of place, though far from unpleasant. This certainly is a different 'chili' take than Thierry Mugler created.

Over all, certainly a unique fragrance with solid longevity and average silage. I would say this wasn't for the younger generation, as you need to have lots of confidence to wear this. I would also recommend this for cooler times in the year.

Projection: 7/10
Gender: unisex
Season: Spring/Autumn

florapudelkova
florapudelkova

It is spicey and it is sweet, but it's lightspeed-fading and has no depth, so you can't get to know it. It leaves no trace on my skin. A very disappointing frangrance.

waruna gomis
waruna gomis

This is a Red Hot Chilli Pepper. The 'Heat' sensation is coming from the chilli seeds, I know this because In Sri Lanka, we are all chili dogs.
It just overshadows and clouds all other layers behind it.there are many sensual notes in the background but the chilli note doesn't allow me to peek into the rest.

For me it is a perfume to make someone in my homeland laugh and make fun at me for paying a price to buy a red chilli.
But I do appreciate the sense and aesthete of the designer's thinking.

Opens with a lushious, sharp, green texture which is fresh and definitely smells of poppy, a floral smell I'm actually familiar with. It's not particularly pleasant or sweet but very naturally, sappy and slightly metallic I also detect a hint of resin in here perhaps galbanum seeing as it's a lasting fresh, greenness. Throughout Piment Brulant there's a strength from that pimento at the back, peppered heat in all its glory and a definite hint of that earthy, bitter-sweet Cocoa which works as perfectly in this perfume as it does in a chocolate & chili dessert.
As it dries down this becomes stronger and more and more what the fragrance is all about, really feels like it might burn your nose if you sniff it for too long. I think the desired effect is similar to others from this perfumer, a real challenge to the senses, coupled with something I actually enjoy wearing, like Timbuktu. I think Bertrand Duchaufour great and although this isn't my favourite of his work I can't help but appreciate the craft. I think if you like green openings coupled with very spicy drydowns but at the same time quite weak, translucent, skin scents....then I'd recommend this one. Not a big projector and with average lasting power Piment Brulent was an enjoyable fragrance for me.

archivist
archivist

Yes, it is thin and transparent - also crisp, surprisingly fresh and feels more "green" more than the rich brown/red you might expect from the chili and cocoa. This has very little amplitude and body, which is actually kind of nice - and fascinating - given how different that is from the usual cocoa scents. It would absolutely go on my buy list if not for the discomfort of retro-olfaction on this; it burns the back of my throat and makes my nose feel cold. I'd still like to try this as a spray (mine came from a dabber) but it's sort of too much, how the relationship between the molecules responsible for both scent and flavor mean that this ends up landing in my mouth, making me feel like I've been into some kind of spicy hot candy. It's oddly aggressive while being very quiet.

peter.frost
peter.frost

I love this perfume. It is green but not like a garden. It is fresh but not like calligna. It has a sweetness but not vanilla like everyone says . More like a touch of iris to balance. It is extremely wearable, unusual and long lasting. I love l artisan and it's one of the best though nothing compares to passage d'enfer . I wear it often, it's easy to wear to work as it is to a night out. You couldn't not Like it .... Unusual but clean and gorgeous.

newinhk
newinhk

I get some cinnamon in the opening but the amber is there from the beginning to the end. I love the drydown with amber and pepper. Never imagined pepper could smell so good in a scent. Very comforting but in an original way.

IntercessionemArchangeli
IntercessionemArchangeli

Very similar to Pacifica's Mexican Cocoa without the richness and depth--Piment Brulant is a thin, transparent, unsatisfying scent. An interesting concept, but if you are attracted to it, Pacifica does it better at a fraction of the cost.

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

Curiously enough, typical base notes (vanilla, musk, amber) present themselves in the opening of Piment Brulant, then fade away to reveal the scent of chili powder. It's a "Benjamin Buttons" fragrance, aging in reverse.

That being said, I wish the opening lasted! The cinnamon-spice and warm sweetness coupled with peppery heat is uniquely "foody" while also feeling wearable. (I never perceived any chocolate or clove during the brisk open-to-drydown process of Piment Brulant.) The drydown smells like the taste of paprika powder and cayenne powder mixed; grainy and ground - one powder maintaining a red color and one powder adding heat. It has zero sweetness or depth.

I am going to try and layer something chocolately over this (or maybe a linear caramel scent) to see what happens. I can't wear Piment Brulant alone - I feel like I've spilled Taco Bell fire sauce on my shirt...which is a normal occurrence in my life, but I don't want to smell like that on purpose.

glitterlust
glitterlust

This was a blind buy and it worked out really well. Ultimately this is a green floral not an oriental spicy to my nose.

The notes are misleading and when I read it smelled like a bell pepper I was a little worried. To me it has a signature tart green juicy fruit note so similar to Duchaufour's CDG Rhubarb. In this case it is tempered with a tangy tomato leaf to creates the 'pepper'note.

The cocoa is strong in the opening to provide a sweetbitter dry backdrop but this fades more over time. I can't distinguish the floral notes as poppy isn't a real floral note but I would say there is something hot pink in there which reminds me of Miracle. The base is light, slightly dusty with clove and transparent amber.

It doesn't come on strong but I could smell on my clothes the next day and definitely wanted more.

lilalina
lilalina

Lovely green scent. Smells like the garden, something like a vegetable garden.. I get the poppy, chilli, no chocolate or cocoa whatsoever.. A very 'light' scent... i think this is lovely for springtime.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

This one reminds me of the movie Chocolat. It smells like I imagine that hot Mexican chocolate with a pinch of hot pepper that was served to the grumpy lady. There is indeed a version of hot chocolate served in parts of Mexico made of bitter dark chocolate and chile (dry and ground chile, of various types). PB smells like that but also with some additional spices in it. Me like it.

Allen-at-home
Allen-at-home

Just because “cocoa” and “vanilla” are listed in the fragrance description doesn’t mean Piment Brulant is a sweet fragrance; there’s nothing sweet about it! In fact, I can’t smell any cocoa or chocolate OR vanilla. Not one ounce of sugary sweetness here, just a vegetable garden… FRESH vegetables. Fresh, but not in a soapy or “aqua” way. I know it has clove in it, but the clove note is so well-blended that it isn’t noticeable. Overall, a somewhat unique, although somewhat familiar, fragrance. Whatever their original intention, I give L’Artisan a Thumbs Up for duplicating the smell of a farmers market, and converting it into a surprisingly wearable fragrance.
UPDATE: After wearing it again, and again, and again, as someone else said, it really doesn't have any depth. Could have been a great fragrance.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Poppy and pepper. I wished the other sweet/gourmand notes stuck out but they really don't. This leans towards being more feminine than anything. This is not a safe blind buy as I now know. Judging by the pyramid it could have been a masterpiece but it falls into the dislike category for myself.

blue_belle
blue_belle

This one is pretty strange. I tried it because of the note tree, hoping for something like a spicy bitter chocolate scent or even a sweet spicy type, but this is just pepper all the way through. My parents both call this bell pepper but I would describe this more as a hot pepper, freshly cut and then applied directly to the wrist. The smell is so true I was actually surprised it didn't burn!

I'm used to my skin pulling out sweet notes in perfume but I get no chocolate, vanilla, or amber from this. I don't even smell cinnamon. It's completely one-note on me, and as such it's not one I'd wear again. I certainly can't say it's boring, but I hoped for the pepper to be a part of the whole instead of the entire scent.

evilarchitect
evilarchitect

Raspberry cacao and tomato stems. It doesn't sound like it'd work, but I'm really liking this fragrance, it feels much more wearable to me than some of my other L'Artisans. For some reason this perfume feels powdery to me, as though every time I put my nose to my wrist I'm sniffing cacao powder. I don't get the pepper reference, and I cook with peppers from time to time.

Very interesting combination of bright green notes and dusty undertones. I keep wanting to reapply.

scentsuelle
scentsuelle

This smelled exactly like what I was looking for on the tester strip, finally, I thought, an put it on my skin. And somehow it never got there. Seriously, you can detect a "something" but you can't smell it at all. Such a shame.

On the strip it's warm, spicy, peppery, something that I imagine must really develop on skin, into something comforting without being sickly sweet.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Piment brulant wasn't on my wishlist at all... after having tried Poivre piquant I felt pretty bored to go for another in the same series.

So I just got here by chance as a friend blindbought it and wanted to immediately get rid of it. He was disgusted. In my case, I was instantly charmed! Not as in : wow, beautiful! but more in a different sort of feeling... I felt demanded.

On the one hand, the strong smell of hot chili pepper after you open one with a knife and take your nose very close to the vegetable... that exact feeling is what is offered here. Does it sound a bit too plain? too weird? well... it does indeed but I still can't believe how l'Artisan managed to give it a very exotic, wearable and somehow sexy edge. Think of the chili in Dzongkha but without the metal part or the incense. They're twin scents to me... this is much simpler and less spectacular but still manages to outstand marvellosly. I can't sense the chocolate at all I'm afraid...

On the other hand let me add I've been stopped by several people to ask what I'm wearing. No one said chili pepper or anything close... they mentioned "flowers", "wilderness" and "uniqueness". When I told them the piment part they all went: ohhhh true!!! So I suggest you try this without thinking of smelling like food since most people have a different take on smells according to where they get them from. I'm sure many women and men could stand out using this as a signature without a single person recognizing the obvious chili pepper... The same happens in Padparadscha where the chili is very strong. It simply gives you an alluring extra touch.

Still... not the easiest scent to go around with... needs a try before buy. If you get stressed with weird scents, don't even spray. As for me: a great new addition! It lasts for ever and ever and works better in early spring and autumn... could be too much in summer and too faint in cold cold winter.

ultracat
ultracat

This starts off with a huge pop of raspberry-chocolate-something that I found gratingly tangy - enough that I wondered if this would be the first L'Artisan scent I scrubbed off my arm. Gave it some time, and it mellowed into a clovey peppery odor with the teeniest whiff of chocolate. Not a bad scent at all - kind of interesting and complex - but not how I personally want to smell.

christianne1
christianne1

Okay, I'm going to be honest here. The notes listed are SERIOUSLY misleading and if someone purchased this based on the notes listed in the description I am certain it would leave them with an industrial sized WTF. This does NOT smell like hardly anything listed. It smells like vegetation. Specifically, the cutting board where you have been cutting up a variety of multi colored peppers. Once it settles down it warms up a TAD and I detect a TINY, minuscule amount of chocolate and a itty bitty smidge of vanilla. But seriously....cinnamon?? Really?? Chocolate?? It smells like a damned vegetable garden. Like if you are watering a vegetable garden of mixed veggies and get a light whiff of veggies and vines. I was doing just that this morning and I swear the bed should have a L'Artisan sign on it because this is exactly what I was smelling. And it is just a VERY faint smell. I mean, this is like an eau fraiche.

I love L'Artisan. I own 20 full bottles and have owned more in the past. But I just got this and Poivre Piquant and both leave me puzzled. I love pepper....its not that...I just don't get either one really. Neither do I get the plastic caps they are using now (I want my heavy gold cap!) I know scent is different for everyone and I wish I was getting what other people are getting because I HATE saying anything negative about L'Artisan. I feel blasphemous because they are a near holy figure to me.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

while checking the notes listed in Piment Brûlant, the savoury dark chocolate spiced up by chili pepper immediately pops into my head. Unfortunately, on me the chocolate never manages to peep out. Upon application, it smells spicy, green and crisp, like many have pointed out, the freshly cut green bell pepper. I can hardly get other notes suggested. After about 4 hours, it evolves towards red chili pepper but overall it remains the same cold spicy tone which is a similar ambiance that I got from Un Jardin après la Mousson.

The sillage is close to skin. The longevity is at least 6 hours. A very interesting olfactory exprience though not exactly what I expected. It's actually a versatile fragrance, fresh enough for summer, spicy enough for winter. However, it lacks something sensual to evoke a 'love' for the scent itself. I'd love to get a small bottle for my collection, but a 100ml bottle just seems an eternity to me.

This fragrance really smells hot pepper! Even too natural:) I wouldn't like to smell this way. But if you're hot pepper lover - it's for you.

spoombung
spoombung

This must surely be one of the most underrated perfumes of all due to it's uniqueness. I can't think of anything else like it; an incredibly uplifting, mouth-watering, unisex, zesty mix of fresh bell peppers and soft musk.

It lasts nearly all day (quite incredible for a citrus perfume). I can't smell anything like chocolate in it, as other people have claimed.

Give it a try if you're looking for something light and bright with a different character to the usual floral/vanilla/fruity formula. I think it's spectacularly good.

sunnyinphilly
sunnyinphilly

Ugh, I definetely don't like this. All I can smell is the pepper...

lara0905
lara0905

Paprika passion.

Piment Brulant is an interesting discovery for me. Not because I've never heard about the actual paprika-chocolate combo,but because for me this was the very first encounter with paprika note used in perfume.This is the reason why I gave a try to this scent,because I thought: if the pairing of chocolat-chilli culinary works together-forming a piquant taste,then perhaps should work well for the olfactory world as well?.:)

Piment Brulant is a special fragrance.To me evokes sweet memories about Hungary, where I was born. Paprika and chilli is one of the famous product of my country, the hungarians very proud of the hungarian paprika.
The initial blast of this perfume on me the exact smell of the freshly cutted green chilli paprika with its characteric features. Green, slightly bitter and vegetal smell with almost nose-tingling effect.Under this crisp and fresh flavor I can smell pale flowers in the background with hardly sweet cocoa and slightly noticable raspberry note. Warm and spicy, piquant and really unique combination is this.The hot chilli is stays focus in the middle phase as well,rounded its edginess with sweet cocoa and vanilla.As the time goes by the scent getting deeper and warmer,amber and the poppy flower make the composition richer and thicker.The debut intensity turns into a sophisticated piquancy.The scent itself well-balanced,warm but fresh,spicy and savoury.If this fragrance was really inspired by the aztech's famous chocolate drink,I have to say Mr.Douchaufour perfectly image that.

Piment Brulant is special and undoubtedly unique fragrance.Strangely pleasant and pleasantly strange.Maybe a little astounding at the first moments but worth wait the outcome.

Perhaps Piment Brulant a little too gourmand for my taste, but I admit,I had a very pleasant experience with this scent. The strong presense of the chilli pepper is amazingly lift up the character of this fragrance, gives a sparkling and quirky edge to the perfume. I recommend to sampling this scent before buying but if You have a chance,really worth to give a try to this interesting perfume.

If you are looking for a new olfactory adveture, here you are: Piment Brulant is a perfect fragrance for the begin of exploring.;)

xabaras
xabaras

This is actually one of the most surprising, interesting fragrances I ever had the chance to try. It really smells like when you slice open a chilli in the kitchen and the strong heat gets to your throat almost making you sneeze. And there is a sweetness with it which gives it balance. It is warm, warm... getting warmer. I actually feared it would start burning on the skin where I applied it. But it didn't. It also let through some undefined floral smell. I liked the experience, I don't know when I'm going to put it on, but I have it in my collection now and it is one of the most original fragrances I ever smelled.

LaSenorita
LaSenorita

Wow, I decided not to read up on any reviews before trying this out, and I was shocked at the difference in what I smelled vs. what are the actual ingredients in this lovely concoction. From the top notes, I swore this was a zesty, clean, green, pepper-and-tomato scent with a hint of floral just beneath...I thought it would make a great day scent in the spring months, make the wearer feel energized and confident. Then later, it darkened...and thickened. Like a savory syrup, it became a spicy chili/chocolate confection - the zest is kept alive, but it takes a sexier turn...I can see why one of the earlier reviewers mentioned wearing this to parties! It still makes me think of warmer months, but it could definitely be worn more as a date night or evening-out perfume. I can't stop sniffing it. I'm not wholly convinced I need a full bottle, but a smaller decant seems like a great place to start. The tiny sample vial I have won't be nearly enough for me to continue this adventure!

daniela3
daniela3

I like P.B., in spite of all the time, I took to make a proper decision about it . The green opening is what the majority and me get since the very beginning, but on my skin, also the double 'hot' effect of pimento is evident: spicy as it is on one side and warmy on the other: so a double sensation at the same time. The presence of chocolate - that on my skin is clearly detectable - helps to give a sense of unity to this fragrance, but I cannot distinguish any vanilla notes in change. I love most of B. D. creations, but I think that Piment Brulant is more an intention to investigate new paths in perfumery, than creating a 'beautiful' fragrance, easy to be appreciated (that's NOT a fault!) by everyone, therefore I would say this is an original frag, no matter if you like it or not, but probably 'difficult' to love (see above the majority of people voting). Whispering sillage but good persistence for being both an e.d.t. and a creation by l'Artisan P. as well. I believe that it could be really versatile concerning 'when to use it', according to my own experience, it is great with rainy, cold depressing weather......
It's a frag that seems - to me - so 'natural'.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

got vintage version today and wearing it now..too spicy, people are correct about pepper impression..the spiciest fragrance there is, probably

erilika
erilika

Where is chocolate?? All I can smell is spice and green/flower. Instead of what i have imagined, PB as a fiery/dirty sweet/passionate lover; this is just a no fuss/clean/elegant longtime girlfriend.

A nice smell, but does not last long, good for office maybe. Not worth the price.

Tovah
Tovah

It smells heavenly in the bottle - spicy chocolate. On my skin it smells like I've rubbed freshly cut green pepper juice all over me, and I don't enjoy the scent.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

Scent as at my mother-in-law in the greenhouse. The spicy paprika, the chocolate unfortunately does not appear at me.

Karuna
Karuna

Piment Brulant is a transparent and very natural and clean scent. It's not thick- what is an advantage for me, because I do not like thick or viscous perfumes.
Piment B. opens with the really "vegetable garden" like notes of fresh, juicy and very aromatic peppers.
I sense also moist, cool and crumpled/macerated poppy petals and an intense smell of carnations, with their characteristic bitterness.
I have to admit that I don't "detect" the smell of the chocolate, rather powdery, bitter, raw cocoa, which pleasantly tickles the nose.
Although Piment Brulant remains on my skin for several hours, it does not smell distinctly ambery or musky. It's more like fine, "suede" sweetness in the base notes.

For me it is a beautiful, luminous, evocative and joyful fragrance, which despite its transparency has, on my skin, the amazing staying power.

grlnamedsue
grlnamedsue

I like scents that aren't the norm and stand out, although I can't say I'd wear it everyday. This one is one of those that need a confident person to wear who doesn't take #$*% from any one. I think I'd wear this one more around holidays such as thanksgiving or christmas. It's very very warm and spicy, although part of it's peppery side gives it a crispness like bell pepper, yet at the same time it's like cayenne. Amber and vanilla seem to give it's peppery-ness a softer more feminine side although I can't seem to get much of a hint for chocolate.

astrofluff
astrofluff

Yes, you will smell like hot peppers. Do I love it? Yes. I also don't get much chocolate in the scent, just the fresh, spicy smell of peppers. I'm a big fan of L'Artisan Parfumeur and this by-far is my favorite, but I like weird smells. Meh.

icansmell
icansmell

My mum uses this perfume when she goes to parties and she smells really good. Party perfume for sure...

Now that Iron chefs have opened the floodgates to culinary creativity, I'm willing to try just about anything. I was skeptical, but I tried Lindt dark chocolate studded with red chili peppers and discovered that it actually tastes quite good. Do the same notes mingle harmoniously in perfume? Bernard Duchaufour apparently set out to find out with L'Artisan Parfumeur PIMENT BRULANT.

Although I applaud the designer's daring, his willingness to risk ridicule for having produced a perfume which smells EXACTLY like salsa, I'm afraid my admiration does not extend so far as to be willing to wear such a scent. A strong green bell pepper note combines in this composition with red chili peppers and a slightly acidic quality to produce a fragrance empirically indistinguishable from, believe it or not: salsa.

This is *not* mole: I do not even pick up on the chocolate note. Nor do the cinnamon or vanilla break through the wall of chili as isolable notes. What we have here, in effect, is a rich, delicious, high-quality chili powder comprising many different spices ground together--including perhaps even poppy seeds--in liquid form.

Interesting, yes. Perhaps wearable, in theory, as a novelty fragrance. FB-worthy? Don't think so. Désolée.

celina
celina

This recipe sounds intriguing and tempting.
I love it in chocolate and hot coco. I had to try it in a perfume as well. And I started with a whole bottle. It was exciting for few days but it took a while to use all of it.

It is from the same family with Safran Troublant and Poivre Piquant. For my nose this is green pimento. It doesn’t have the aroma and richness of the well-ripped red fruit. I doubt they would use the fruits anyway. The oil would be very spicy on the skin. Most probably this is an extract from the plant (leaves and stems).

It starts very green and reminds me of the plant’s leaves. The amber brings balance and depth. After 30 min there is a dark and light smoky tone coming in: dark chocolate. Not the gourmand sweet chocolate, just the raw dark coco. Really nice note.
Vanilla starts strong and candy sweet. Poor choice. It doesn’t balance the green pimento stems at all.
No surprise thou, I can't imagine any thick green tones working well with candy sweet vanilla. Maybe sandalwood?

However after 30 min these note becomes subtler. I would say this is the best part. Together with the dry down. At least 6 hours long lasting.

I don’t feel any cinnamon. Luckyscent shows cloves and I can feel that, very subtle enhancing the dark chocolate.
The musk comes in after one hour or so.

Overall, it is a unique and interesting fragrance, probably not a must have but definitely a must try.

7.8/10

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

What a disappointment!!!!
...I get no chocolate whatsoever.!!!!
The Vanilla and Cocoa mentioned in what would be an "Aztec Love Potion" sounds great,don't they"
Well those notes are undetectable to me.
...I get Fresh Green Bell Peppers with what might be more green notes of Tomato.
It did settle into a
Red Bell Pepper / Spicy Red Chile combo...
that since I have been inhaling in
at my wrist ....
so desperately... I now can taste...!

I just don't do Fresh Green scents .. they turn on me and my nose finds it appalling.
It's Clean and Green...most assuredly different, but It's not for me.

jae
jae

I've read reviews and have been led to believe that all L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances are weak - too weak to justify the price. Well, maybe that's to be ignored. Today, I sampled Piment Brulant.
I get the chili, but it's not alone. No one around is going to sneeze or wonder if you just finished cooking a spicy dish. On my skin, I DO get a hint of chocolate, which I don't believe was put there to be noticed. IMO, its job is to make sure that the chili doesn't overpower everything else in the fragrance. I can tell that this one wears close, as far as the nose is concerned. But this follows you around and others would notice this on you long after you've dismissed it as having worn off too soon. This would have significant lasting power on fabric and it's unique enough to justify a 100ml-bottle purchase. Personally, I love it! This may very well become my 2nd niche fragrance.

UPDATE: it's 1:05 AM (4/29/2010)
Uhm, this is still on my arm.. It's wearing very close at this point, but I can still smell it. When I went out earlier, it kept following me and I could smell it all around me.. Poor lasting power? I think NOT... It's on my want list.....

UPDATE 2: (05/09/2010)
After testing this more and more, I've had a few swings on the pendulum about this one. Sometimes, it can last forever and sometimes it fades too soon for my taste. But I've finally figured out the magic formula for me... Spray this one on the garment(s) and use The Body Shop's Vanilla on my skin. Voila!!! All possible doubts have been permanently laid to rest.

Sissi
Sissi

mmmmmmmm red chili peppers dipped in dark chocolate with red poppies makes me think of a Lasse Hallstrom film
Chocolat when Juliette Binoche's character Vianne Rocher sturring up
a repressed town with her scandalious
Chocholate reciepes she breaks convention like this perfume

or during the restoration period during the reign
of King Charles II when is was the end
of the Protectorate rule with all of it's austerity and repression.
the restorian brought freedom and prosperity with thearters with lavish
sets the courts of france and england
made of copious amount of silks from china spices from india Pompous men with long wig fashioned in curls
women in lavish costume full of regal
splender entertainment is a anything goes orgy full of actrobats dancers
Comic hariquinns and a endless line of
food from faraway lands imported from the new world indians with mohawk hair
presenting an unsual new delicesey
chocolate with red hot pepper inside
with creamy vanilla.

this is a not a conventional fragrance
if you what to think outside the box
of high fashion perfumes and the average
fragrance notes of florals fruits and musk in the bottle this is the perfume for you.

Zhara
Zhara

Ian Anderson could easily compose a followup to his Habanero Reel with this one. Perhaps it'd be called the Piment Brulant Jig. A bright fragrance, a dancing fragrance. One I'd regulated to summer use only, but today is in the 30's and a spritz of this dazzler is just what's needed to combat the cold; not even a bit out of place with my suede and jamawar.

The pepper that is front and center here is not quite a bell - but it is spot on for the nearly inedible Aja Dulce - a pepper that looks just like a scotch bonnet, but is instead quite sweet, with zero heat. What the Aja Dulce does have in habanero-like proportions, is an overwhelmingly perfume-y flowery flavor that makes it useless for anything other than a novelty candy or perhaps an oddball canape. Piment Brulant is it's own novelty candy, and embodies this unique, standout individuality of the Aja Dulce perfectly.

It also is one of those few fragrances that very noticeably morphs on my skin, becoming amplified, richer and deeper the longer I have it on, and noticeably different from it's aroma on inanimate cloth or paper. Short phrase - it works with my chemistry, everyone should test first.

The chocolate does not come out for me. Instead, it is this amazing rare variety of capsicum, a hint of raspberry, a touch of 12-year old Scotch with all it's complexity and depth, and perhaps some unisex 'clean' notes... a few indescribable bits, and all around terrific. I definitely hope it's around for a long time, but these unique quirky jewels are not made for mass appeal.

Another one to horde.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Notes are verry intriguing!
In fact... it's called after peppers it smells like a pepper. A green pepper and some red chili ones. Very interesting in my opinion and hell a lot original.
It's very rich and may not be loved by many people, but it's worth to try! I can't feel chocolate or vanilla or cinnamon. Pure pepper. My grandma grows peppers (the hot ones) in pots and they're looking fab when you look at her windows and see them standing there. Peppers are very small and if you pick one and tear open then it will smell like Piment Brulant.
__________________________
I smelled it from paper, but I'll try it later on skin..

lilinah
lilinah

Edited to Add: Scents generally have more ingredients than those listed. The L'A P website lists notes as: hot pepper (i.e., chili), clove, cocoa, tonka, vanilla.
-----
The nose behind "Piment Brulant" was apparently inspired by the Aztec drink "cacahuatl" (from the Mayan, "xocoatl"), along with a recipe published in Spain in 1631 which blends the New World ingredients cocoa beans, chilies, vanilla and annatto (aka achiote) with Old World ingredients anise seed, cinnamon, almonds, hazelnuts, and white sugar. Besides, it is now fashionable to make chocolate bars and chocolate ice creams with chilis, vanilla, and spices, which i enjoy.

Also, i often cook Medieval, Moroccan, Levantine, Persian, Indian, Thai, and Indonesian cuisines. So the collection of fragrance notes in "Piment Brulant" intrigued me.

Still, i was surprised by this perfume. It was so rich and complex and sophisticated - more so than any of the other L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances i've tried so far (and i've loved nearly all of them). The combination of aromas is astonishing, perhaps counter-intuitive, but it works beautifully!

At first spray i smell citrus (apparently not in it - perhaps it was the raspberry listed on some fragrance blogs), vanilla, red bell pepper, and capsicum (chili). As the scent develops more fragrances emerge, although none stand out individually. A non-specific, non-girly floral. Intriguing spices (fragrantica lists cinnamon, some fragrance blogs list clove). A hint of chocolate, strengthening slightly during dry-down. And a slight warm animal undertone. But it is absolutely NOT "gourmand", thank goodness. I want to bury myself in this! Yet it isn't overpowering - somehow it remains light and gentle (and has the infamous L'Artisan Parfumeur short staying time).

The only drawback is that i can "taste" it for a short while, although i only sprayed it on my arms. Certain scents have this effect on me, one reason i avoid lemon verbena - the flavor stays in my mouth for hours, even though i haven't ingested it. With "Piment Brulant" it isn't so unpleasant and only slightly distracting, and it diminishes over time. Given how wonderful this unlikely amalgam of fragrance notes is, that won't stop me from wearing this.

As it dries down on me, the complexity remains, and fortunately neither the vanilla nor the musk becomes domineering.

Assigning this to a time or a season based on conventional associations would point to nighttime or cold weather. But i love spicy food, which is typical of hot, even tropical, cultures, so i'll wear it anytime!

Robert White
Robert White

I really like this I'm a cook, and my restaurant sells spicy food...I brought my smple in, and I said "Hey guys, I've got a perfume that smells like Salsa Verde!" "Get out of here, Bob, what are you drunk again?" (Salsa Verde is a sauce that has a lot of green chile peppers and tomatillos in it...delicious!" I gave everybody a drop on the wrist...and, "God damn! Your'e right! Salsa Verde and tomato stems!" "See guys, there's more to this hobby than just vanity!" I got a little more respect for my "girly" hobby that day. Anyway, this would be the dream perfume for my fantasy date with a beautiful Mexican girl...on both of us! Truly creative and daring...hats off to L'Artisan and Duchafour (who is a genius for the Aedes de Venustes). This is definitely a perfume that you can wear to dinner!

Darn. I get no chocolate whatsoever. I get red bell pepper with the tang of the green leaves from the pepper plant and maybe, just maybe, if I plant my nose on my wrist and inhale until I'm dizzy, a touch of wood. It's clean and fresh and definitely different, but I'm not sure it's really "me."

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I wore this twice over the weekend...the first time, I was really turned off by the strong peppery notes in the beginning. I didn't pay much attention to it for awhile. But then I realized that the peppers had gotten sweeter and warmer. I never thought I would like the combination of vanilla, dark chocolate, and pimento...BUT I DO!

This is a very unique and musky gourmand that may not appeal to everyone, so make sure to sample it first. It lasted all day and got more and more delicious as the day progressed.

rebella
rebella

I´ve tried it a coupple of days ago, and I didn´t get impressed at all. One note dominate totally; green pepper (or paprika). The other notes stand quitely in the background almost unnoticed.

Definitly try before you buy.

(I was also intrigued by the notes!)

Piment Brulant by L`Artisan Parfumeur 3.67 out of 5 based on 276 ratings and 49 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Piment Brulant fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Piment Brulant, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Piment Brulant by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Piment Brulant by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.