Designers » L » Woody Chypre « Groups

Timbuktu L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

I have it: 585 I had it: 118 I want it: 559 My signature: 15

smoky

The master perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour, inspired by his travel to this old African city and the ancestral magical fragrance ritual 'Wusulan', has created the second fragrance of the L’Artisan Parfumeur travel collection –Timbuktu. The power of Wusulan lies in the innate art of Mali women in perfume creation, traditionally passed on from mother to daughter, as a magical fragrant spell for seduction and securing the true love.

This perfume has captured the African temperament and that it presents a new fragrant experience. The green sharpness of rape mango and spicy warmth of pink pepper make an impressive prelude to the mysterious heart of aromatic frankincense and papyrus smoke. The pure and light smoke wraps the exotic African flower Karo Karounde and mixes with the earthy and green vetiver. The base is composed of balsam, spices, patchouli, myrrh, and vetiver.

This wild, magical and mysterious African fragrance with woodsy notes, thick resins and spices, lasts on skin for a long time. It is created to awake memories and desire for long-distance travels, as well as to remind of the beauty and miracle of life as seen by the eyes of Timbuktu women.

The article on Timbuktu fragrance at Fragrantica Timbuktu was launched in 2004.

Pink Pepper Mango Cardamom

Papyrus Incense Karo Karounde

Patchouli Benzoin Vetiver Myrhh

Six Scents 3 Cosmic Wonder: Spirit of Wood
Patchouli

Timbuktu Fragrance Reviews

suhaesa
suhaesa

takes me back to childhood memories of bridal weeding dances ..it is a bright full incensey connotation of strong aromas..myrh luban benzon even mastic hit u the moment u spray it it quickly settles in to a bed of musk amber green shrubs and woods yet its incensey resinous in a crispier manner its not your velvety dark resinous perfume its a unique connotation of mesmerising magical resins and woods with a hint of charm from some neighbouring maybe patchlie or some strange green shrub i cant detect..its dry almost sour its not cloyingly sweet yet its subtle and it may turn sweet on some its a skin scent its a magical journey from africa it is a call for love and passion it s like the sun from lartisan collection ..it is a masterpiece that will stand the test of time..and will be hunted on ebay years from now as a classic niche extraordinary extravagant scent..
sold at blominsdale dubai for about 150us$ for 100 ml edt

Asaskian
Asaskian

So, if you were to ask a synesthete, I assure you, don't see any green. Yes, it smells of wood, but something that was wet once but is drying now, puts me in mind of papyrus very strongly. It has the specific hint that folks who ever have had the pleasure of traveling by boat on River Nile will confirm. And here all of it, when combined with mango.... (mango-smell is shades of turquoise colour and if you don't believe me, please do try Patricia de Nicolai's Turquoise).... it takes on colours of hay, faintest hint of blue, like a sandstorm seen against a light blue sky from a distance.

It is quiet, it is just 'itself', it doesn't resemble anything else particularly you can compare it to, and this was done at a time when M. Duchaufour use to take time to make perfumes.... not every four months, something came along. Oh, don't get me wrong, I like what he does but too much familiarity always breeds contempt and perfumers knew that 'well' in pre-2000 era. I actually didn't mind perfumer being the silent, quiet entity sitting, watching reactions and listening. I once joked about them, being the real Illuminati at a get together, and quite a few laughed and said, some of us would prefer to stay that way. It is like Ai Weiwei.... if he talked about his art all the time, I would stop enjoying him. He usually has that dead-devil-may-care stare and if he is in a mood, he'll say something, otherwise the rare burst of dripping sarcasm coming from him suits me just dandy!

Reader, forgive me, I was off onto a tangent.
Timbuktu is a beautiful perfume but it is a tad eccentric, just like any unique piece of art, sort of puts me in mind of Japanese artist Motohiko Odani's Unicorn from 'Phantom Limb'.
Very much itself....

CeceliaHuynh
CeceliaHuynh

This is a cute fragrance but it smells a bit too sweet one me. I only wear it very lightly and when I'm in the mood. It is noticeably different scent and many people like the smell but I can't tolerate it on my skin for too long. Strange...

Lana148
Lana148

Spicy, green, woody...

Timbuktu is very interesting woody scent, but I think it would smell better on men.

Although I like this one, I don't love it. This fragrance reminds me of a smell of vintage, antique, wooden furniture made out of exotic woods.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

On my skin, this is an extremely light version of Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant--mango, cardamom, woods but in much lesser concentration, no hot spices, just smooth, but dry and rather linear. Almost evocative of a JL'E EDT if one were to ever exist.

It really does smell pleasantly like a dry cake of paper-wrapped budget hotel soap that no matter how much you wet it and work it, it won't lather; no matter how much I wait, this perfume won't develop and warm up to me. It's another case in why woody vetiver chypres don't typically agree with my skin and turn soapy, as was the case with Hermes Eau des Merveilles (even though that's classified in the database as an Oriental woody).

So envious of you folks who are getting the marvelous notes! I'll stop my review right here as I don't believe my skin chemistry can do this perfume justice.

Monday
Monday

Vetiver and patchouli with some fruitiness in the background. It fades to a straightforward patchouli and vetiver cologne in no time. This L'Artisan Parfumeur scent is a bit of a disappointment for me especially after reading some of the reviews. It's just nothing special on my skin. Glad I didn't blind-buy a full bottle.

petrhsr
petrhsr

Outstanding. Enormously radiant, and can fill a room (or a widebody aircraft) with one spray, but it's somehow soft and comforting, never in-your-face, never causes the chaotic run-for-the-exit that something like Amarige does.

Ethereal and utterly civilized. Highly recommended for everyone.

snazna
snazna

This was the first perfume that I bought immediately when I tried it. But not because I was swept off my feet with its' exuberance or fell in love it it at the first sight... I was intrigued. I was perplexed. And I was in the mood of getting myself something extravagant. Actually I gave myself something interesting on a Wednesday afternoon.
The murky notes, the freshness and the ambiguity of it still delights me. I usually go for more 'over the top fragrances' or pure freshness, but with this one, I started with a new era. The water and earth are so well blended in this perfume... And everyday is an exotic journey with it. And it does go well with my skin, and I don't mind that it does not last that long. Even better, I go and get some more ;-)

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Being of West African heritage, and from a diplomatic family that lived in various continents during my formative years, there is both an African root and nomadic stem in me.

I smell Timbuktu and my mind is cast back to beautiful and manicured West African women in their colourful dress and impeccably groomed city gentlemen in patterned bubu's and hats going about their daily business.

The image is sharpened by the inherent refinement and sophistication of the scent, which is itself made possible by shrewd blending of such well chosen and exquisite notes.

I am impressed by the imagination and accuracy of Duchaufour - a Frenchman who has managed to capture much of the beauty of African style in this bottle. He makes this a first class return journey from Western Europe to Western Africa that is picturesque, exciting, comfortable and memorable.

The more I wear Timbuktu, the more I crave it and delight in it. I was never one to have a large fragrance wardrobe, but Timbuktu's uniqueness, practicality, and elegance can literally make everything else redundant.

houzi
houzi

A very unorthodox creation, which I, unfortunately, find unwearable as a personal scent.

To me, it's the smell of the catacombs, nothing more, nothing less. Pak Ou caves on the Mekong outside Luang Prabang, the catacombs of Paris, the curious void of an abandoned utility building somewhere on the grounds of the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur, which you enter hesitantly from the blissful safety of a sun-drenched courtyard, only to find out it's crawling with creepy, resentful bats.

I gave my sample a few tries wanting to find something attractive about it, but this curious union of vetyver, incense and papyrus is just too bizarre for me. The only other thing it succeeds at producing, paradoxically, is the sensation of being trapped in the caustic vapours at a soap factory. But the fragrance is doomed, as no amount of harsh soap will be able to breath in even a bit of freshness into those cavernous odours. I give up:)

tkomaigo77
tkomaigo77

I made the mistake of buying this fragrance in the middle of winter. I wore it a few times and then gave it to a friend thinking I'd tire of it. Now in the middle of the rainy season heading toward summer (and it's very difficult to wear anything in my wardrobe other than Osmante Yunnan) I realize Timbuktu is exactly what I need! What a horrible lack of foresight I had! Charles_carmichael hit the nail on the head. In spite of its smokey incesnsy notes, the cleanliness and transparency of this work make it a perfect match for the heat and humidity of the rainy season and summer in Japan. In the colder seasons it's a bit boring but SO beautiful and perfect for the warmer months!

Had
Had

i feel passionate when i wear it. it calls the others to stay beside you dazzled and wanting to understand :)
something i hate in this perfume....a love and hate situation...
sinful...

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

Spray it over you - and it will spray you with pleasure!
4.5 from 5 - 94P from 100 - smoky vetiver - Like the close Sycomore from Chanel, Timbuktu is a masterpiece. In direct comparison, Sycomore has a broader base and works more complete, whereas Timbuktu is more transparent and fresher, Sycomore has vanilla which Timbutku is almost missing, whereas I noticed in Timbuktu some lime blossom. I would prefer Sycomore by 1 point out of 100, but this is hair-splitting. Both are characterised by their fully harmonized pepper-mango-woody-incense-vetiver base, work noble and distinguished - and make a lot of fun.
Wear either and go to a nightclub - and you will not be among 9 from 10 who wear Boss or 1Million.

bluektq
bluektq

For some reason every time I smell Timbuktu I can hear Justin Timberlake's song "Let The Goove Get In" in my head... (I know I'm a freak LOL). It's just the smell of it is very uplifting and beautiful, makes you want to move your body and just dance.
I fall in love with this fragrance at the first sniff, It's exotic, unusual and exciting.
A well blended woody - mango - myrrh - incense concoction indeed!

Kain
Kain

A really solid vetiver based fragrance that isn't something new or very different at all, but it's a good one.
The opening is a little alchoholic! it's because of using a boozy note or just because of bad quality .... I don't know!!!
I can smell a dirty/earthy vetiver note mixed with some incense that give the scent a little smoky aroma and just a hint of sweetness and fruity notes in the background.
The whole idea of the scent remind me of "Terre D'Hermes" but something is crystal clear here. this one released two years earlier so this is the father!
As time goes by I can smell a little more sweetness and more fruity note beside that earthy vetiver and incense combo.
The scent is not that strong and potent. this can be someones signature scent and he can use it all year round. I said he because it's more masculine than feminine!
Projection isn't that great. mostly close to the skin and longevity is around 6-8 hours on my skin.
As I said a solid and classic vetiver based fragrance that personally I prefer "Terre D'Hermes EDT version" over this.

یه عطر خوب بر اساس رایحه وتیور که بوش تا حدی منو یاد تق هرمس میندازه
البته تق هرمس 2 سال بعد از این عرضه شده و اونه که ایده این سبک بو رو از این برداشته نه این از اون
چی گفتم! لول
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی خاکی و کثیف مانند وتیور شروع میشه که کمی رایحه بخور هم در کنارش حس میشه و یه ته بوی تلخ و دودی بهش میده
مقدار کمی رایحه های شیرین و رایحه میوه ای هم میشه حس کرد که البته در حاشیه قرار دارن و خیلی قوی نیستن
در ادامه بوی عطر تغییر زیادی نمیکنی
فقط رایحه میوه ای و رایحه شیرین کمی قویتر میشن و شما همچنان میتونین بوی وتیور و بخور رو که البته کمی ملایمتر شدن حس کنین
پخش بوی عطر زیاد خوب نیست و بیشتر فقط خودتون میتونین حسش کنین ولی ماندگاریش خوبه. بین 6-8 ساعت که به نظر من کافیه
در مجموع شخصا تق هرمس نسخه تویلت که بوش شبیه این هستُ ترجیح میدم به این

رائحة العود مع الفواكه
الفوحان ضعيف والثبات ايضا بالنسبة الي

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

I'm not sure if Duchaufour has topped this one...This is a beautiful, if rather exotic, take on the spicy masculine (but would smell great on the right woman as well). It is a vetiver-based scent, but has little in common with most other vetivers on the market. Yes, it's dry. Yes, it's woody. But that's where the similarities end.

This masterfully and gently combines a range of earthy smells (myrrh, patchouli, vetiver) to create something unexpected - a shimmering aroma that acts like a halo around the wearer. Looking at the notes, you'd think this would be a cold weather fragrance. But I actually like wearing this in the summer - as a unique alternative to the expected citrus and aquatics that one typically reaches for in the heat. If you've ever wanted an earthy, incensesy fragrance that is simultaneously sparkling and uplifting - look no further.

tamarababa
tamarababa

Very green and exotic for me, but also exciting and finally something new from this house!

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

At first this is a gigantic burst of incense, woods and spice. But then after about half an hour, I was left with one single relentless note that really turned me off. It reminded me of a citronella oil concoction my Scottish Gran used to make to get rid of the midges. I was looking forward to trying Timbuktu after hearing so many good things but sadly it's not for me.

drlaurel
drlaurel

Definitely unique and definitely a masterpiece. If you don't love it at first spray, try, try again. If green, earthy, woods n spice ain't your gig, steer clear. I, myself, am captivated. Great for men, even better for women. I'll be getting the larger size next time. Def a signature scent contestant.

edit: Been wearing this for a few days now and get several compliments a day. very unique, a conversation starter.

Q80
Q80

this perfume is so green, i was shocked that i would like artisan's perfumes once again!
this perfume is about the bushes, greens, tropical forest, with the background of woods, and maybe cedar, and i felt the greeny breeze that flew through my face and hair, sometimes it gives the cooling effect when thinking green and smelling this perfume.

i personally like the leather notes perfumes, but this greeny perfume is very good, maybe the opening is a bit too sharp on my skin, but later on it goes quite interesting,

Truly i didn't like it when i first tested it, but after few more tests and giving it more time, i eventually liked it although it is very different from my type of perfumes, but im sure ill be getting it soon enough. the only drawback from L'Artisan is the longevity, where it vanishes in 1 hour to 2 hours max.

AndrewMoc
AndrewMoc

Here it is! In the market for a fragrance that smells like soiled bed sheets?! This ones for you. /sarcasm.

So this one is just odd. Its not attractive to my nose, or the tortured noses of my friends and co workers. This seems very dirty and antiquated. There is a certain Floridian woods or outdoor smell that pervades this one that I'm attracted to (likely Papyrus since its native here) , but I couldn't get myself to put this on during the day. I will also add that this leans towards feminity with its soft dry down.

The strikes are many and my money will be spent elsewhere. Well done, just not good enough.

matty64

Hey, Fragrantica! R-I-P-E mango, hello. Spell check it.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

facinating just how personal scent and memory are. for me this scent is not exotic, but nostalgic. i definately get the contadiction of hot and cold, its like bright sunshine on a cold day. specifically early spring with the promise of winter receding and better days ahead. i think it may the vetiver, earthy even dirty and a little smoky with a floral greenness to it of blooms not quite open yet. beautiful

dkny27
dkny27

Green spice... Not a sharp spice, but a soft, warm, earthy scent. I think of environments close to the equator, warm and green, with rich brown soil. Much more masculine than I had imagined. One spray and the scent is quite strong with the myrhh, cardamom, patchouli and incense.
As with any L'Artisan, the quality is deep and longevity, loooong.
The notes sound divine, but this one is a "sample before buying" kind of scent...

Viktor Teplukhin
Viktor Teplukhin

Masterpiece. Period!

marioslg3
marioslg3

After all these reviews i decided to order it blindly...just because i love dry woody perfumes....but im not that much impressed....because it starts nice and woody with some incense and then, it dries down to a sweet smelling flowery perfume with the myrrh and karo karounde dominating the compo. Starts strictly masciline but ends rather feminine. will give it a try and see the following days...but i prefer the top notes instead of th base ones....7
Update...
A lot of people are saying that u have to use it sometimes to appreciate the perfume...
Having used it for some days i realized that is a magnificent perfume, magical...especially for the first 2 hours, the smokey woods and spices are heavenly....i cant stop sniffing my hand...wonderful perfume which is so unigue and mysterious...that was my first experience with artisan but definitely i will try others as well. I already ordered mechant loup and my next will be dzing and fou d'absinthe...if u like those kind of scents, timbuktu is a jewel....longevity is average and sillage appropriate for a man's perfume.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Oh no, I seem to be in the small group of people who get the mothball/aftershave/soap experience. Someone compared Timbuktu with Kyoto, and that too smelled like deodorant soap on me, so I guess they have some common note that goes soapy on some people.

My first thought was that there is or was an American laundry detergent powder that smells exactly like this. I don't know if it's currently on the market or if it's something from my youth, but my mom used to use it and it had a harsh, aggressively soapy smell as powder, but it gave the laundry that 'fresh laundry' smell, which was neither abrasive nor chemical, just a fresh, warm, cottony smell. I'll retest Timbuktu and see if it mellows like the detergent did.

A few hours later, I find it a completely linear long-lasting scent. There has been no development as such, and not much in the way or softening. The detergent quality is just as prominent as ever.

Even if you like the sound of the notes, along with some other reviewers I'd confirm that this is a risky blind buy. Test first.

Surprised that this is a unisex, I find it very manly but in a understated way and so much so that I bought it right off the bat.
I'm fascinated by this scent it's a wonderful mixture of the familiar and the unknown for me. The top notes are peppery and you definitely get the papyrus. The vetiver is perfect, earthy and woody but clean with great spicing that is just low in the compositional mix. There's gentle myrrh there too this fragrance is quite a complex treat but one that you don't have to become fixated on notes and just sit back and enjoy the big picture.
What I like is the way it has an animistic quality, I don't mean in the sense of an animal...
I mean the human animal.
It's the way it mixes with my body/skin chemistry to create something seriously primal...No wonder this is the Wolverines (Hugh Jackman's) signature scent!
I've yet to sniff out a bad or boring L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrance.
Love this and will be wearing it regularly although I do think it will be more suited to the heat with the african vibe.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

On the opening I get a bright uplifting incense note mixed in with a soft spicy pink pepper. Within this mix is a very subtle vetiver note just underpinning the soft almost cream like spice.

This scent is complex in a very subtle and intricate way. The notes are weaved together so tightly that you only notice them when you go looking for them.

To sum up a very nice bright soft spicy fragrance that offers more than whats on the surface.

icingsugar
icingsugar

Humid rainforest.

Sniffers
Sniffers

bright,sweet,smoky,crisp,fresh/dry,...woody/incense with a touch of tropical fruit...beautifull and enchanting...a joy to smell...spiritual and mystic... something I would wear when meditating or practicing Tai Chi...a fragrance for shamans and mystics...very relaxing and very natural smelling...nice projection, can smell it filling the space around me...a little tangy/sour effect, but very pleasant...the mango makes for a nice fruity accent to the incense and resins... very natural smelling to me...changes to me on different applications...at times get a nice touch of flower more than the fruit...sampled this several times and loved it enough to get a full bottle...

I love Timbuktu!
For me it is especially nice on men, both fresh and exotic with a sweet peppery note and no cheap commercial sporty edge here!
It's a fragrance that inspire me traveling to exotic places, a desert where misterious bushes grow.
Very aromatic and well nuanced.
I had a vial and happily drank it (via skin, of course) but I will not buy FB because it's a smell I would like to smell on others not on me, especially men.
It quite longlasting to be a L'Artisan.

WendyMH
WendyMH

Wanted to love this exotic perfume as much as I love some other L'Artisan scents, but found it turned very dry and dusty on my skin - as though I was walking across red dry parched earth with a satchel of desiccated mangoes. Miles to go and not an oasis or drink of water anywhere. I'm thirsty just writing this.

williamvargas
williamvargas

I am checking this out I have read that it is considered unisex, but to my nose this does smell fantastic on guys..i have enjoyed wearing this one lately and will continue, considering a purchase. was able to get a good sized sample to try, so far thumbs up. I like this one. very nice fragrance, reminds me of a mysterious chap. well made I am getting good longevity out if it so far. check this out. I should have tried this one sooner.

peppermoon
peppermoon

I love this perfume, but I wanted to point out that the description says "rape mango". Could we change that?

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

You know? I tend to be a structured, systematic, and analytical when reviewing fragrances. But not going to do that with Timbuktu.

This one shuts down the left side of may brain and resuscitates the right side. So, no lines from me here about silage, projection, salient notes, when/where to wear it, scores, etc.

Timbuktu makes my nose stick to my skin like a magnet, like a bee to a flower, like a lover who goes back for more. Timbuktu is so beguiling, charming, exotic, delicious, and engaging that it makes me stop what I'm doing and inhale it like a 3rd world junkie inhales glue from a brown bag. it makes me feel elegant, aristocratic, elevated.

I love this beauty.

Attila1905
Attila1905

NataleeM,
You are not alone. To me it is very soapy.
It is similar to Commes des Garcon 2

NataleeM
NataleeM

Am I the only one that smells soap? Is there something wrong with my sample?

tymanski
tymanski

i've been wearing this for years, and have found it difficult to arrive at a qualitative assessment. duchaufour is a genius at creating a transparency from 'heavy' notes, check out havana vanille, paestum rose & chypre palatin - heavy notes that somehow don't 'compress' & distort the mids in the scent pyramid.... jc ellena has usually maintained this general approach, though it seems to have gone overboard lately - too much transparency and you loose the olfactory core & weight. i started wearing timbuktu 10 years ago and though my collection has expanded exponentially since, this one stays firmly in the rotation. why?

it never dominates the wearer yet always maintains a certain substantial weight, almost as periodic elements maintain an atomic weight; it is consistent, solid yet aloof. earthy, woody,sweet, dry, incense-like but not incense (!) - universal. it is season-less, genderless, timeless in fact. in other words this number encapsulates the duchaufour ethic perfectly. that in itself makes timbuktu mandatory to try, if not to own.

christianne1
christianne1

Timbuktu smells like nothing else. It is a unique experience to wear it. It makes me feel like I am wearing a secret. I don't know how to explain it, it just has a mysterious, almost magical quality to it. Very earthy, green and woody...but very dry wood. Smells more like white wood. I think the papyrus smoke is what gives it a unique edge. It is a subtle yet powerful fragrance.

I have no idea why but when I smell Timbuktu, I smell the turquoise color of the label. That color actually comes to life and becomes part of the scent and I can't really explain why. It just does and I can't make it go away.

Completely unisex and even though I love it for myself, I think it would make me weak in the knees if I smelled it on a man.

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

Does anyone else get vetiver? I get vetiver...

sussex2
sussex2

This is a fragrance that has really grown on me over time. Whenever I wear it now I think of Egypt: pyramids, sphinxes and pharaohs.

The opening is spicy mango.

After the top notes fade it becomes a blend of gentle, fruity wood, papyrus and vetiver. From this point it remains linear and slowly disappears over about four or five hours.

Timbuktu isn't loud or abrupt. It slowly fills the space around it imparting its exotic beauty. I don't wear it often but each time I wonder why I left it so long.

Lasts longer than I remembered. Very light now but can still smell it after nine hours.
12 hours - just about gone.

Brenao
Brenao

I didn'd like it. I can't smell the mango, no fruit notes. It smells odd, green, dusty, strong, salty, earthy. Not for me.

amirabbas
amirabbas

I've tested this one three times but I didn't get it till now!!

It's very STRANGE scent. I sprayed it on my wrist and sniffed it, "Wow! What is it?" I repeated these sniffing every few minutes and I didn't find the answer. I do not say that it is not beautiful. It smells dirty but the scent encourage you to have another deep sniff. Actually I like it very much but beware that it is not compliment-getter. If you think you can wear it and other people will tell you that you smell amazing, you will be disappointed.

To me it smells like an old temple. I smell vetiver, mud, incense and some other green scents. The dry-down notes are the most interesting part for me. Believe me, it's too hard to describe it. I think it is suitable to wear it when you are alone to enjoy it. It’s UNIQUE.
Projection is also strange. At first its sharp the projection isn't heavy. Sometimes you can smell it and sometimes it hides, again it will comeback.

As I said projection is not heavy. For first 2 to 3 hours you can smell it but after that it’s going to be skin scent. Longevity is around 6 hours on my skin and sillage is very soft.

If you are seeking something special and strange give it a try. You will not be disappointed :)

تا حالا سه بار تستش کردم ولی هنوز نفهمیدم بوی چی میده !!

بوش خیلی عجیبه. روی مچم اسپری کردم و بوش کردم. پیش خودم گفتم این بوی چی میده؟!! و بعد از اون هر چند دقیقه یکبار باز دستم رو بو کردم ولی باز هم جوابی برای سوالم پیدا نکردم. بوی بدی نداره اتفاقا بوی خیلی جالب و خاصی داره. بوی گرد و غبار و جاهای قدیمی رو میده ولی مدام ترغیب میشی که دستت رو دوباره بو کنی و نفس عمیق بکشی. باور کنید توصیفش سخته. البته یادتون باشه از اون عطرهایی نیست که بزنید به خودتون و ملت ازتون تعریف و تمجید کنن. به نظرم بیشتر مناسب اینه که تو خلوت خودتون ازش استفاده کنید و لذت ببرید. خیلی خاصه. پخش بوش هم عجیبه. اول حسش می کنید بعد مثلا چند دقیقه اصلا متوجه نمیشید و انگار بوش محو میشه و دوباره بر میگرده.

پخش بوی خیلی بالایی نداره. برای دو سه ساعت اول پخش بو داره ولی بعد از اون بو خیلی به پوست نزدیک میشه. ماندگاریش هم روی پوست من حدود شش هفت ساعته و پخش بوی خیلی کمی هم داره.

اگر دنبال تست کردن یه چیز ویژه و عجیب هستید تستش کنید. پیشمون نمیشید :)

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

Very woody - elegant.For woman and for man very interesting ,is no problem .Maybe better for woman ?;)

esteban747
esteban747

Timbuktu smells very outdoorsy, not sure if it smells like Timbuktu because in fact I have never been in such place.
Mainly woods and just slightly spicy. But in the middle the incense starts to grow (thankfully) and it breaks the otherwise boring wood notes, giving this composition more character and depth.
The dry down is better, the incense settles down, it becomes more natural, closer to skin.

I think (like in many cases, and that's probably one of the selling points), some people are reviewing this perfume based on the name, a far away, exotic, unknown place full of magic and mysterious rites.
What if I change the name from 'Timbuktu' to 'Afternoon in the Nile River' or 'Secret Indian Palace' or even more exotic 'Treasures from Java'? Would that change your description? Because the ingredients may work perfectly too!
It's still a well made perfume, classy, little strong opening but then it settles and it becomes wonderful.

alberto1964
alberto1964

...light, nice, nothing special but in summer days it is a good fragrance.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

This is my current number 1.
The initial smokiness gives way to a glorious wood spice which is both light and yet deep.
Its gives and gives and is radiant over a wide area without being attention seeking.
When wearing it I get a sense of well-being.
Its a masterpiece.

GuanYin2013
GuanYin2013

My mother used to take me to visit a herbalist when I was a child, just a social visit, although now and then he prescribed something which was so vile it had to be a cure. He was about eighty, a World War One veteran. He gave me his British officer issue pistol but no ammunition. Imagine the envy of the other kids - they only had cap guns. I had the real deal, cold, heavy, scented with sweet oil. His lounge (or consulting room as occasion demanded) was panelled in dark wood and seemed unchanged from the days of his Victorian parents - blinds, curtains, festoons at the windows, felt-shrouded doors, lace-shrouded furniture, even the floor had multiple layers of carpets and rugs. Some rugs had pile so thick and stiff you could only walk on them in one direction - trying to cross them the wrong way felt like wading across a mountain stream. Yes, even the rugs were an adventure in his house. Every wall of the dispensary was filled, floor to ceiling, with shelves and all the shelves held glass jars, ground glass stoppers, identified with gummed paper labels, hand-written in black ink with a broad-nibbed pen. On the highest shelves were thick-cardboard boxes with leather corners and bright steel rivets, contents unknown, and small, unbleached cotton sacks which bulged and poked depending on how twiggy or seedy their contents were. I was always given a tour of the dispensary when I visited, given a chance to sniff the aromas of the jars, feel the roughness of roots and bark, admire the smoothness of seeds and the softness of dried leaves ground to dust with a pestle and mortar. How to describe the smell, now that is a challenge. The dispensary was smoky with a fine dust, the combined dust of thousands of dried herbs, fungi, roots, nuts, seeds, bark, seaweeds, leaves, flowers, stems. This smoke was dry, musty, sweet, woody, bitter, acrid - something between fly spray and Beecham's Powders. It pervaded everything because the dust rose and settled everywhere in the house, making everywhere smell strange. The attics were sweeter because only the finest dust settled there, the ground floor rooms were the most acrid because the heavy, oily dust settled there. I would wander from room to room trying to pick out the different layers which made up the heady complex brew in the dispensary. Happy days!

I love Timbuktu. It is a sweeter, lighter version of 'herbalist's dispensary dust'. It is the dispensary on a summer's day - someone has opened a window onto the Victorian garden and the wallflowers are in bloom. Wallflowers were my favourite flower when I was a child and I still love their perfume. Timbuktu is smoky/woody with a hint of flower - the hint reminds me of wallflowers and of night-scented stocks.

This is a complex fragrance which takes time to develop and takes time to appreciate and enjoy. Not a fragrance for situations where one is distracted by noise and bustle such as work or travel. Keep it for cosy, intimate occasions - for self-indulgence or to share with your lover or when you snuggle with your children (Warning: this fragrance smells so mysterious, rich, and complex you will have to prepare a really good bedtime story just to live up to it, I feel it must have Sinbad the sailor, a crowded souk full of exotic wonders, a found bottle, a terrifying D'jinn, a voyage, an island with fabulous treasures, and why not throw in a giant Roc while you're at it?)

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

Half feral, half sterile. Original and wearable. If you are into vetiver, this a must try.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i Tested it before, dont like it..must have confused with the other perfumes sprayed at the shop..thus after a while..i thought...just give it a go..bought it test it...my god it is beautiful.. i must have been confused at the the shop..lesson learn was..always try the perfume without mixing it with others...and i am stand corrected.. it really beautiful...i love the smell of karo karounde flowers mixed with all the ingredient, peeking in and out the whole day...just bought the second bottle...for fear of reformulation or others

Timbuktu is a dry, green, bright, gently smoky perfume. It makes me think of a sacred jungle ritual with chanting, dancing, and incense. And green snakes. Timbuktu is light and clean despite the incense; suitable to wear every day. Fruit and spice do not stand out to me, but they may be subtle. Not a personal favorite but beautiful nevertheless.

raw umber
raw umber

I have repeatedly attempted to review this fragrance, but have found that it is more challenging to describe than I expected. However, I have finally found enough time to spend with it to write about my experience. Sometimes really beautiful understated and complex fragrances take more time. Do NOT write this one off! Spend some time sampling it so you can see how wonderful it truly is. L Artisan is very understanding about the need to sample.

Timbuktu smells like an early Morning walk while camping, with smoky earthy incense notes which smell like a campfire that has gone out. There is leather, pepper, and wood, but despite the depth of the individual notes, Timbuktu is a dry, light and airy fragrance. Projection and longevity are pretty poor, but I enjoy that it wears close to the skin.

It is an intimate fragrance without being warm, seductive without being too spicy. It makes my skin smell as if I have just returned from somewhere very far away, where there is nothing familiar to cling to.

In its animalic earthiness, I get the feeling of clean dry mud, of drawings made from homemade charcoal on stone, tea made from bark and twigs, and the perfume of fine, parched earth. It is cool dry, exotic smoothness, and becomes subtly intoxicating.

Timbuktu reminds me slightly of Emir by M. Micallef, but Timbuktu is more subdued, muted and airy, the blue/grey and raw umber color of smoke and earth. I feel like I could douse myself with it, and it still wouldn't project any more than it does with three sprays. As it opens on the skin, the fresh earthiness of vetiver becomes more apparent.

Timbuktu smells magical because of what it contains, but especially because of what it DOESN'T. Each of its elements fit together perfectly, with nothing to distract or over-complicate.

I get the distinct feeling that it is intended as an ingredient in a solution made for self-protection. It is a whispered reminder of one's own inner strength.

fuggerone
fuggerone

exotic and charming, hot winds of Africa! disappointing duration, in the tradition of this house!

cinnamonsweat
cinnamonsweat

Original, captivating and multi-layered, Timbuktu is fruity, woody and spicy but balances these opposing forces with grace. Unisex but certainly more masculine than average it is a classic and influential work of art.

mário.junior
mário.junior

Actually it is beautiful but not for me, I really don't like the powerful incense opening. Althought I have to agree, it's complex and magical, smells like African Savanna in a bottle, very earthly.

Insensé
Insensé

For me, this is my dream of the future: my place of desire, the mythic Timbuktu, where I want to be one day. Such is this amazing scent: quiet, spiritual, in peace and harmony with nature, and evocative of mankind origins.

fgallarini
fgallarini

now this is a winner! one of the best perfumes from l'Artisan and my favorite perfume EVER.

exotic, spicy, fascinating. Works specially well for Men, but also really good for women. I reccomend it to everyone who enjoys incense and spice.

fantastic

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Epic Fail, the dry down reminds me of the smell i use to whiff off rogue passer-by nigerian traders in a crowded south asian night market, indeed the opening west african vibe is captured beautifully which lasts about 10 minutes , after that its, just well - chaos.

Markx
Markx

Terre d'Hermes reminded me of Tonino Lamborghini now discontinued perfume, but TdH was more dry and airy. Recently I bought Timbuktu and when I smelled it, I felt it was very familiar, to me it smells very similar to TdH but very close to TL and surpasses both in longevity and projects better too. Could be a mere coincidence, but the names of all three begin with the letter T, Timbuktu, Terre d'Hermes and the original Tonino Lamborghini. The old saying is true after all "Nothing is new under the sun".

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

I like this a lot! Smells just like Rose Anonyme by Atelier, like someone posted.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Time to say good-bye... lalaaalaaaa... My small decant is over, I just splashed it all onto my arm in order to give Timbuktu the last "Should I buy or should I not?" questioning.

Before giving the answer let me introduce you to my history with this wusulan rite from Western Africa made into perfume. I read many many reviews and I waited for months for it until I could get a small vial. I first thought it was hardly perceivable and so I left it for a few days. Don't ask me how but out of dozens of perfumes I sampled those weeks... Timbuktu always came to my mind. So I would go again, sample and say: bleh... Not bad... just a bit insignificant... it smells like heavy incense and nothing else...?

Oh how mistaken I was... this same "I really need to sample it again" scene became a weekly nightmare (for my small sample was about to finish and I couldn't get what the hell was in there!!!) and I repeated "I desperately need to smell that green mango rind again". So I stopped being so annoyingly anxious and gave Timbuktu a real wearing.

I put it on after shower... went on doing my things and magic appeared. As a great specialised review mentioned, the power of Timbuktu lies on its radiance, You smell it all the time (unlike many of us thought by first nose to wrist sampling), it keeps on offering whiffs of potent vetiver and mango flying on top of an incense cloud and oh my goodness... it transports you.

Don't ask me where though... I haven't travelled that much lol. BUT, it does. It isn't sweet... I would arguably mention a vinegar vibe at certain moments. This is undoubtedly a truthful exotic perfume that is highly wearable and distinctive. I can see why some people do not perceive it and why some other find it dull. However, this guy here dreams of it at night and after having sampled hundreds of scents is mesmerised by the one that gave him the worst of welcomes, the one that was meant to end up in the trash right away... and is today in my top 5.

Give it time, give it space, let yourself fly with it. The mango will appear eventually, don't be impatient. Also: It lasts forever!

BY FAR the best Duchaufour I've encountered. The simplest yet the best achieved. I can't even doubt whether I'll get it or not. It's a must.

PS: By the way, if women and men smell like this in Mali... oh là là!!!

trish smith
trish smith

I am so disappointed with this. I bought it on the strength of the amazing reviews, and find that it is nothing like the reviews I have read. I get no smoke, no incense, no exotic spices - to me it smells like weak generic aftershave. I will be passing this on to my significant other.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Timbuktu by L Artisan Parfumeur is not what I expected. After reading several reviews and note listings, I ordered a sample hoping for a dry, spicy chypre with incense. The opening is quiet with a hint of spiciness and fruit. Then—bang—strait to stale soap. Did I receive the correct sample? Yes, I’m identifying green vetiver and a strange floral note, but the “warm spicy” part is definitely not detectable. (The opening is far away from the dry down.) Perhaps someone can help me understand this fragrance…

16 hours later, a trace of Timbuktu lingered in my hair. The scent lost the soapy aspect exposing deep smoky woods. I also found that if I apply a very small amount to the skin the smoky-campfire aspect shows through almost immediately. This brings to mind a midnight camp fire in the middle of a hot exotic forest. I have memories of sitting around a fire with friends; drinking, and smelling the trees, flowers and other greenery as the smoke coats my hair and clothes. Timbuktu is this, only strange. Getting better…

One week later: I love this fragrance! I can’t stop smelling it and losing myself inside the presented contradiction. Clean yet musky-smoky; dry and hot, yet never powdery; green, but not “fresh”. Also, I challenge anyone to call this fragrance boring given that some of the notes are exotic, especially the floral note (Karo Karounde) and the smoke (cypriol).

5/5!!!!

PlunketNurse
PlunketNurse

Forget the description and marketing, and sniff, this is CHOKEFUL of Iso E, to the point where that weird 'woody stale skin' aura too much.
I wish they ll tone down on that aspect and concentrate on the dry dusty vetiver accord and cardamon benzoin spiciness instead the well-respected nose has added some myrrh to it to amplify this aspect.

the composition is peculiar enough to entertain but once u ve been around vials of iso E in your room, the novelty quickly loses it s charm simply another fragrance.

baconbiscuit212
baconbiscuit212

I studied abroad in West Africa in college and the minute that I smelled this, I was instantly transported back to Niger, which is Mali's eastern neighbor. I could literally feel the dust and the heat settle on me as I fanned myself under a mango tree. Beautiful.

Pegasus
Pegasus

Timbuktu was the first fragrance I tried from the L'Artisan house, I usually have plenty of good luck with blind buys, this was among them.

When my bottle arrived, I open it up and applied two sprays on each side of the neck, what a pleasant surprise! It smells really good. After I've done some research online before placing my order, I expected it to be a very light scent that would fade away after 2 or 3 hours max, well, it is light but lasted for a solid ten hours, it's woody, fresh and dry, a different take on vetiver in a good way which made it quite elegent and masculine, it has become one of my favorite scents very quickly, you can't go wrong with Timbuktu.

louanna
louanna

I really don't try to "disect" or analyze perfumes. I am not so good at recognizing all the different smells and scents. I have respect for those who can!
Something about Timbuktu felt and feels so right, so familiar, although I know, I haven't smelled anything like it before. It's like that feeling when you travel to a foreign country for the first time and it immediately feels like home.
I love the insence and I can detect mango and a lot of vetiver in Timbuktu. I got a bottle of Vetiver by Guerlain EDC (the vintage one)for my husband and I like vetiver. Well, he can keep the Vetiver, but Timbuktu is mine!;)
I came across Timbuktu by ordering a small sample on eBay and it was love from the first sniff. And recently I bought a full 3.4oz bottle on eBay for $80.00! You can't beat that price. Now I can truely enjoy my Timbuktu!
Timbuktu is a true masterpiece in my book! :)

Kamicha
Kamicha

I don't perceive the complexity nor the beauty of this scent. Personally I think it's pretty straightforward papery vetiver. It's so dry that it almost hurts, weak incense note competing for attention (FYI it fails), with barely there spiciness - luckily, because this particular spice accord has almost astringent quality. It's not hideous - but honestly it makes me yawn.

I'd rather reach Chanel Sycomore; Terre d'Hermes, almost abstract in it's simplicity - or even Prada Infusion de Vetiver for dry vetiver urge. Incense - duh, this is not incense frag at all...

Nicely done but a bit too woody and simple for me. Perhaps I can grow to like it, but I honestly can't say I look forward to wearing it. I may seek a change of pace in a couple months, so if that's the case I'll update this review.

Baldric
Baldric

Long lasting, very dry woody and myrrh. The myrrh reminds me of midnight mass and the scent as a whole does seem to have a sort of elusive/sacred vibe to it, if that makes any sense. I could see this really working in the summer on a spice lover as it is not a cuddly/cozy insense smell to me and not quite what one needs to get through a dreary winter day. The smell is soft and thin enough (in a good way) that it is hard to imagine it being overwhelming.

ETA: I just can't get over how dry this is. Amazingly, nose searingly, dry.

kit1982
kit1982

Dear Timbuktu,

I love you! Thank you for being there for me when I want to feel special. You are the best.

-Kit

madameka
madameka

this perfume gives me a strange sensation,very wet smell not very sensual but my skin give colors.....so charming ,i smelled as an african girl who takes "woussoulan".....beautiful

aschiffm
aschiffm

Clear and green vetiver papyrus and mango. Its sharp crisp and a little bitter. Theres some pepper but it's not dominant. There's also lingering clean smokiness.

It's a very sunny bright and smooth fragrance, I would wear on spring day. But I actually think it would smell better on the right kind of man , rather than a woman.

maupeccin
maupeccin

Just got my bottle today. Wow! Love at first sniff!

This is incredibly beautiful. Almost harsh in the beginning, with the pepper and the mango screaming, but amazing anyway. Then it becomes an AMAZING vetiver scent, balanced with the benzoin and the patchouli.

Timbuktu evokes in my mind the dark tone of Encre Noire with the dry qualities of Terre d'Hermes, two of my favorite fragrances ever, with some twists. I'm in love with it.

spirit966
spirit966

Very unique and middle eastern.

Strangely it reminds me of smoked chips, the ones that you use to smoke salmon / bacon though. Strange..

Midnight50
Midnight50

THIS WAS MY VALENTINE PRESENT FROM MY HUSBAND AND I THINK THIS IS THE BEST SCENT BY L'ARTISAN. I LIKE IT VERY MUCH. I ONLY KNOW THEIR MOST FAMOUS SCENTES BUT I FIND THAT THEY ARE NOT GOOD ON ME. I LOVE STRONG PERFUMES WITH BIG PERSONALITY! THIS IS BUONISSIMO!!!
(VERY GOOD)

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

A mix of incense, green mango, vetiver and pepper. Original and very niche. Good fragrance for spring and summer - but to be tested before buying! - may be great from the bottle or on a paper but on some skins it can smell more like mothballs or naphthalene.

stephan
stephan

This is a mix of Kyoto and Encre Noire. I'm tied between these 3 fragrances and I don't know which one I prefer. I guess it will be Timbuktu.

sf2explus
sf2explus

very nice not your typical scent. This scent reminds me of clean smoke. its slightly spicy at first and the incense is in the background where all the smokiness is coming from. it has a mild sopiness all the way through but not a typical soap something more middle eastern smelling if that makes any sense.
i think of the scent as semi spicy,woody, smokey,clean,mysterious,artistic. nothing ordinary here quite the opposite. for me the sent becomes more smokey as it stays on the skin and there is a point where you only get the smokey smell which is very nicely done nothing is cheap smelling about the scent quite natural. do spray your cloths with this one it smells very nice ofcourse the shirt has to be a ceal ironed shirt.Its not the type of scent you rush out and buy i cannot call this a safe scent and please do not blind buy as this is very niche as a whole. this is a scent that has to be sampled on skin in your own time and must try a few different times. the sillage of the scent is good creates a little cloude around you no one more than 2-3 meters will smell it on you unless you over spray. On me the lasting power is a good 6-8 hours and very much a skin scent after that. I spray twice on the front of my neck one on the chest and two sprays to the shirt. the bottle is great, sprayer could be better but good enough. the scent is very crisp and clean. The picture i get in my mind is open space and smoke which is green. this scent does not smell like grass or anything but for some reason green comes to mind it must be the vetiver.

Scent 8.5/10

xabaras
xabaras

It is a very serious scent, very elegant. It opens up with very dry incense, slightly bitter, spicy, intense. Definitely not a scent that will make you go unnoticed. I see it more on an elegant woman wearing a fur in winter. On a man it would really be screaming "look at me!". Lovely, powerful, but not for me.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

this scent is like a breath of hot, arid yet fresh air and cleanses the nostrils in an almost medicinal way. It's a beautiful fragrance which would be at home on a woman or man - I actually think I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off my husband if he wore this! It's spiritual and cleansing, almost a priest/priestess' scent. It brings the outdoors inside, and is clearly the most influential seminal scent for perfumers like Tauer, etc. and it does bring to mind 'L'air du desert Marocain'. I prefer this one as I find it slightly richer.

Translation of Edox's wonderful review:

Timbuktu is a perfume that opens, as I imagine, one day in Africa: with notes of smoky dawn, humid, but you can sense the solar luminosity given by citrus. Then comes the noon evoked by woods, resins, and the piercing sun evoked by the spiciness of the pepper, and later comes the sunset with vetiver and patchouli that become more complex still. The scent becomes almost eternal as a long day deliciously endless ... because, in a sense, already part of the NEXT. It is a fragrance where spices are beautifully worked, and in this sense was very innovative, because the fusion of these with the vetiver is a magnificent and intelligent work of the author. As had Mozart from the second act of his opera "Le Nozze Di Figaro" a duet that first becomes a trio, then a then a Quintetto Quartetto ..! (Here spices and vetiver, spices, vetiver papyrus, spices vetiver, papyrus, patchouli ...) and is only the natural elements we can reach the tops of the art sophisticated perfume is a bright, far deeper and more complex than it seems at first. It's a very intense fragrance, as well as a great power of Sillage and longevity. Paradoxically is clear and mysterious. He feels the adventure in it and comes like a wind, from time to time, to tell you in an intimate, a place filled with an abundance of nature and wild but inexorable pure clear at once. If there is something wild but in the sense of unpredictability, of purity and mysterious nature. A great new perfume for people who delves into the adventure of looking beyond the usual market products.

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

I've only tried this in a store, but here's my take so far: Light, heady, dry clear incense smoke with a hint of woodiness and vetiver. Do I detect a touch of cardamom in the smoke? Seems quite natural, not synthetic, like most modern scents. I can see this being worn by either men or women, but it seems a little more on the masculine side to me. Nothing quite like it. Luca Turin [I know, I know, and I don't always agree with him either] in his Perfume guide rates this 5* out of 5. According to Turin, creator Bertrand Duchaufour used a rare Indian essential oil named "Cypriol" to create the light smokey effect. It does seem fairly linear to me, so their doesn't seem to be a huge change from top to base over the approximate 10 hours I've thrice tested it. Sillage has died down from the initial projection, but it's still maintains a definite presence. All in all, a fantastic creation!

LoveMeDo7
LoveMeDo7

Hugh Jackman's signature scent. Enough said. ;)

Edox
Edox

Timbuktu es un perfume que se abre, como me imagino, un día africano: con notas de una madrugada ahumada, humeda, pero en la que se intuye la luminosidad solar dada por cítricos. Después llega el mediodía evocado por maderas, resinas y el punzante sol evocado por el picante de la pimienta; más tarde llega el ocaso con el vetiver y el pachuli que lo vuelven más complejo todavía. El perfume se vuelve casi eterno como un largo día deliciosamente sin fin... porque, en cierto sentido, ya forma parte del siguente.

Es una fragancia donde las especias están maravillosamente trabajadas, y en este sentido fué muy innovador, pues la fusion de estas con el vetiver son un magnifico e inteligente trabajo de su autor.
Como contaba Mozart con respecto al segundo acto de su ópera "Le Nozze Di Figaro" ¡Primero un duetto que se convierte en un trio, después un quartetto luego un quintetto..! ( Aquí especias y vetiver; especias, vetiver papiro; especias vetiver, papiro,pachuli...) y es que solamente con los elementos más naturales podemos llegar hasta las cimas más sofisticadas del arte

Es un perfume luminoso, mucho, profundo y más complejo de lo que parece en un principio. Es una fragancia de una gran intensidad, así como de un gran poder de sillage y longevidad. Es claro y misterioso paradógicamente. Se presiente la aventura en él y llega como un viento, de vez en cuando, a contarte de una manera íntima, un lugar lleno de una naturaleza exuberante pero clara pura y salvajemente inexorable a la vez. Si , tiene algo de salvaje pero en su acepcion de impredecible, de pureza y de misteriosa naturaleza.

Un gran perfume diferente para gente que se adentra en la aventura de buscar más alla
de los productos usuales del mercado.

Heverton
Heverton

Timbuktu Opens very dark with incense and spices, but nothing exaggerated, where over time, acquires a certain soapy character but nothing overdone. This particular fragrance seems to me a much less intense version of L'air du desert marocain, making this a much more versatile and unisex fragrance, but without the mysterious and powerful personality of Andy Tauer's creation.

I must confess: I don't get it! While I love most of the Bertrand Duchafour's creations I still don't understand Timbuktu. I find it to be nondescript, way too abstract. I think about it as a smell instead of a finished perfume. It's way too complex (maybe?), and although I've been trying it several times and posticipate my final review for several months I still don't like it.

Timbuktu opens smoky and bitter with incense and berries and I've to admit it's very interesting in this phase. Then it starts to evolve into a complex spicy / fruity / vetiver / resins phase where things get real messy and way bizarre (in a bad way). It's like if Mr Duchafour wanted to gather together all the aspects that made his previous releases great, with a cacophonic result.

Timbuktu definitely has the Duchafour's hallmark, it's immediately noticeable, but IMO it's way too far from his better compositions such as Avignon, Kyoto, Jubilation XXV, Sartorial, Calamus, Sequoia...

Rating: 6.5/10 (sorry, I don't like it)

Grottola
Grottola

Timbuktu is a very bitter woody fragrance. I get no mango or berries - just straight up incense, woods, pepper, and patchouli. A dark smoldering fire sort of like Chanel Sycomore, only with less vetiver. Luca Turin gives it five stars, I think it's just okay. Nothing special. Timbuktu might be better when layered with something. The sillage and longevity are very good.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I love the opening, which is an unexpectedly sweet mix of candied rose petals, incense, a pinch of spice, and patchouli. It smells exactly like something that I recall from long ago, maybe a sweet flavored with rosewater, or some kind of rose-scented incense, but I can’t identify it with certainty.

About an hour into the drydown, there appears a slight fruity note that must be the mango, but it’s short-lived. Overall, the scent is linear, lasting 4-6 hours. Not great longevity, but pretty good for L’Artisan.

In any case, Timbuktu is a drop-dead gorgeous incense/patchouli fragrance that’s far removed from the church version of olibanum. It is going on my “buy a large decant or bottle” list partly because I love it for itself, and partly because it evokes such a vivid olfactory memory for me.

chrischourma
chrischourma

Timbuktu together with Dzing! I really want to buy those two!!!! Definately to wear during winter and I wouldn't mind the warmth of them, since they are not very striking on the nose!
Lovely Timbuktu! Describes women of nature with a lot of self-esteem!

scentous
scentous

it is definitely a men's fragrance..it is georgeous, sexy, aphrodisiac, creamy smooth spices and incense..good work for Lartisan perfume house, a shining star among other many very nice scents of the same house..Reminded me of Kyoto and passage d'enfer, but smoother and less incense..

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Other reviewers have said everything there is to be said about this. I love it, too, and had to put in my two cents' worth. Unisex I think. Warm, spicy, and slightly different from anything in this olfactory group I have ever smelled - maybe because of the papyrus and Karo Karounde, neither of which I am familiar with. Blissful.

Edit: I did have a different experience with the drydown from other reviewers. It was extremely long-lasting on me (a rare thing), about 12 hours, but for the last 6 hours or so it became a rather soapy lemon! with all the warmth and spice having travelled off somewhere else, and in the end I was happy to have my shower and put on something else. This didn't alter my opinion of it as a tantalising, intriguing perfume, and I think in the long term this is destined to become a classic.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Timbuktu opens with spicy bitterness, woods and incense on me. it's seems to be a masculine fragrance that makes a statement.
After awhile, it toned down a bit, but the scent developed this soapy, almost clean character.
As much as I find this perfume beautiful and high-quality, I can't get out of the feeling that I've smelled this before. It's like a distant cousin to L'air du Desert Marocain, but Timbuktu is a more "conventional" relative. It is also more wearable than it seems.
I recommend to try this out, even if for the sake of comparing it to other fragrances of the same genre.

Edit: now I got myself an fb of Timbuktu and after a few wears, I actually enjoy this clean and dry, almost soapy aspect of it, it feels nice.

jglass54
jglass54

Absolutely gorgeous. Spicy but subtle, warm, smoky, alluring. Smell your shirt a day after having worn this stuff.....fantastic.

oona noir
oona noir

I got a sample, undeterred by people saying it was very masculine. After all, most of my favorites are decried as too masculine (Chanel No 19, Tabac Blond, Midnight Poison). However, on me, they were right. It was too masculine on me and not sweet enough in the top and middle. When it hit the base, the benzoin stepped in beautifully and I really enjoyed it. It was like a rugged man who held me at arms length for three hours, then made mad, passionate love to me- and that thought reminded me of my husband, so I tried it on him. It was perfect on him. He LOVES it. And this is not a guy who wears perfume. He doesn't spend money on anything, lives in rugged boots, thinks cologne is wussy- and here he was telling me I could buy him 100ml of Timbuktu! And this was AFTER he saw the price. Total delight and shock on my part. They are a perfect fit and I love them both, especially together. I will steal a squirt every now and then from his bottle- Timbuktu smells too good not to!

KasiaS
KasiaS

I am completely head over heels when it comes to Timbuktu.
It might seem, in fact, dry, but also has a juicy, mellow edge, a little vegetable-like, due to the mango. It is multifaceted and amazingly manages to be essential and liquorish, airy and earthy, wet, sweet, fresh and invigorating at the same time. In the first stage pepper predominates on my skin, and this is the moment when it is really dry, due to the combination of pepper and cardamom. The "dry line" is continued in the middle notes by the papyrus, while, simultaneously, the liquorish, dense juicyness of mango takes floor and combines lovely with the awakening smokiness of incense. The late stages of middle notes are dominated by lovely, spicy and sweet incense that leads us smoothly to the base, where it meets its soulmate - myrrh. At the same time patchouli and vetiver give the composition a wet airyness.
I can't really describe this stunning composition to help you imagine it, because it has a specific quality that I would call "African" even though I've never been to Africa. Timbuktu makes you feel like travelling through the most beautiful exotic land, the one from your dreams.
If I was to compare it to a mass pefume, I would say it has maybe - maybe something in common with Envy for men, or Red Delicious for men, but more exotic, surprising, deep and unique. The incense is very similar to Kenzo's Flower Oriental - sweet, smooth, and, well...oriental :)
On my skin the staying power was not bad but it's not monstrous. About 5-6 hours (it's an EDT).
I think it's exquisite on a guy, but may be intriguing and sensual on a woman, too. However, I would prefer to have a man near me wearing this all the time that to wear it myself - I think it gives a man a charm of freedom and mystery. On the other hand I imagine it needs a very special woman - an exotic beauty, tall, proud and freespirited

In sum - try it if you can, and big thumbs up, Master Bertrand!

Cereza
Cereza

This is...I can't even find words. This is such an amazing scent. It's so warm and mistical. It's spicy, extremely dry. It almost smells as dry as the air in the dessert at noon, when the sun is burning the sand up. There is this extremely cozy, wonderful myrhh scent together with resins and everything is so well blended together.

I'd love this on a man.

elusivek
elusivek

In theory this sounded so intiguing. In application, it's a bit off.

The initial breath is almost bracing pepper. It's not harsh, it's stimulating/fresh.

It really begins as a deep mellow scent with a stirring blend of pepper, cardamom and warmth. I don't know if it is the papyrus but it's a resinous type of depth.

I know incense is listed but it's not incense in the traditional or common sense. It's much more grassy/earthy/fresh, like burning fragrant grass outside. After which, the Karo Karounde starts to emerge (it's a very strong floral that's essentially somewhere between Jasmine & Tuberose with its own woody & grassy notes to it) in addition to a distinct vetiver note and at this point it is a haunting perfume that does spark a sense of wonder because it is such a beautifully foreign and otherworldly scent that is so unlike anything I've experienced irl. In this moment the perfume is without a doubt tranformative and simply stunning.

Unfortunately it is very short lived which is absolutely tragic considering what it had already accomplished. Within 15 minutes the Karo Karounde is so overwhelming it's nearly impossible to smell any other note. It's so strong that it set me off into an Asthma attack. That single note is relentless and the jewel that was, is long since gone, never to return again. I'm not disappointed, I'm sad because it really is THAT amazing in the first 15 minutes.

jae
jae

After purchasing La Chasse Au Papillons Extreme today, I was blessed with a sample vial of Timbuktu. Yes!!! This is one that a man should have!!! I love everything about it. Is this my favorite incense fragrance? I think so!!

Here's a tip-off, though: for anyone who finds this too masculine on their skin or needs a brighter version, Keiko Mecheri's Oliban will suit you nicely. I'll have to compare these two side-by-side now. But my bias goes to Timbuktu... Wonderful execution...

UPDATE: I tested those two samples side-by-side. As my bias suggested, I now have Timbuktu in my possession.

L'Artisan Parfumeur TIMBUKTU is much more of a dark oriental woody perfume than a chypre thanks to the dominant incense which tinges all of the other notes with a deep smokiness. This is a good winter weather perfume, with a heavy presence, sillage that expands as it becomes heated by the skin, and excellent longevity.

I am not so sure that this fragrance would wear well in Timbuktu, Mali, its inspiration, but it certainly does succeed in conveying the aura of mystery associated with a far-away, unknown place. If you like dark incense (think YOUTH DEW or LA MOME), you should give this one a try.

adele l
adele l

I think this would be a great masculine scent- it smells rich with the cedar and incense being prominent- it's very clean with no jarring notes. Absolutely beautiful; the drydown is close to the skin but amazing when you catch a whiff..exotic but not too spice market!

Mihail
Mihail

Scent of VOODOO:-) The gentle and easy incense gives blissful feeling of calmness and comfort. Wonderfully!!!

hupes
hupes

I bought it a few months ago and I absolutely love it. In my skin it's fresh and lasts long. My mother loves it too and uses it sometimes. Definitely, one of my favourites.

bronstein
bronstein

Wow, this is a subtle one. At first sniff it reminds one of some classic fragrances such as Aramis, it but soon develops its own character. That said, to me it's definitely male scent.

1blondeangel
1blondeangel

Everyone should at least try this most unusual fragrance! Even if you don't generally like this type. This is a fragrance you will not soon forget. I sniffed this one out of my mini and but the cap back on. I went thru all the others and then came back to this one again. I must say I'm deeply attracted to Timbuktu! It's deep, heady and erotic. The papyrus smoke, incense and spices are intense and dark yet arousing. I initially think of a campfire in the middle of a jungle. All the aromas of the vines & woods making for a trance inducing dance experience around the campfire. I sprayed this on each pulse point. A little hit my jacket. 3 days later I wore the jacket and kept getting this little wave of smokey goodness every time I would move my arm. I just had to smell my sleeve ever so often. The intriguing scent taking me back to that campfire in the jungle and the trance induced state. I am definitely smitten with this one!

Trvevil
Trvevil

Owch! Another gem. Apart from Dzongkha (which I now in love with ) this smells similar at top/heart- kinda in dry, spicy scent. Very thick spices, I think papyrus is very prominent (I think papyrus can ruin floral scents like Aloha Tiare, but inside woody fragrances it's very exotic and distinctive note). Spice like top remains for long time and I thought it wouldn't bring any surprises.. then I smelled my wrist. Erm, now I understand why 'chypre' stands after woody- I really thought that L'Arte somehow managed to break through from depths of my skin and show me it's beauty all of a sudden (I wore a drop of L'Arte yesterday on my wrist). Nah, it's still Timbuktu, that want me so much to fall in love with it. Scent developed on my wrist is now more deep that it was and more reminding me of something and evoking fantasies with swirls..
Here you see a neverending red sand, you are tired and look for some place to rest. Then you discover village and without paying attention to visual details you rest, and all this smells like Timbuktu. Indeed, very mysterious and African. If you love to travel and want to explore many places you would love this for it's adventurous spirit.
Ah, yes, lasting power is good.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Unusual smell - full dark, heavy, wet green, animate notes of peppers, sweetes of cardamon. But in base incense and musc together smell as grey soap, but smell fine. Exotic, heavy, multidimensional, such... african chypre. Hard, but fascinating. As Mitsouko Guerlaina. Fine. On man skin smell very men's, on woman - unusally, exoticaly. Very excistes me.

Exotic spices, dry woods, incense. Very very nice, and not unlike Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline, but much easier to wear, lacking the often harsh wood edge of Tourmaline. Easily unisex. Dries down with a resinous edge that I adore. Wish the overall experience lasted a touch longer though.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Such a pretty opening! Timbuktu takes me to a magical place, always far away on the horizon, a place to be half remembered and half dreamed.

Incense and spice, but never the heavy spice that makes, say, Serge Lutens Arabie such a terrifying experience in wind and curry, no this is delicate, subtle and light, a fantasy of grasses and woods brought by nubian traders, rolled in Egyptian papyrus and added to myrrh and cardamon. If this was a spell, it would work on me!

Sadly, like many spells, the effects are powerful but short lived. These notes disappear quickly, and benzoin is all that stays on my skin, pleasant enough but not extraordinary, a little rose-ish. I must give it another go sometime but for now, I am disappointed at the lack of hold, or I would be really tempted.

elpidiodm
elpidiodm

After reading all positive reviews for Timbuktu, I ordered the fragrance through the Internet. When it arrived, I wore it right away and it has become my my signature scent. This will be the fragrance I would save and take with me if my house would burn. It's pricey but it's worth it. I don't smell this fragrance much here in Honolulu, Hawaii.
I'm so glad I have it.

rebella
rebella

It seems like Timbuktu is quite popular now. :) And it does deserve it. One of my favourites from L'Artisan. It is something melancholic about this fragrance and it is deep and mysterious. Like the smell of handmade paper that have been dried over the smoke of holy insence and secret african spices. Not a warm, loud oriental, but a secret, quiet one... In my european ears the name of Timbuktu always have make me want to go there, but I´ve heard it nowadays nothing but a sleapy little african town... but this fragrance makes me want to go there no matter it is a sleapy little town or at the point of it´s power and glory. Maybe thats why the fragrance is melancholic? It reminds of the past greatness and mourning what is now lost? I do hope that after all, they still have secret rituals and burning holy insence.

It is dry, airy and absolutly delicate and well put together.

No matter who you are, this is a must try!

Leesee
Leesee

Of all the masculines I have been sampling recently in search for potential gifts, and even, I confess, just for me, Timbuktu may be the most alluring. There is something about the woody note in this scent that keeps my nose firmly pressed to my wrist. This wood is creamy-smooth, bone-dry, and without a hint of bitterness. And this scent is an absolute must-try, must-buy, all out winner.

Goldberry83
Goldberry83

I have fallen completely in love with this scent. When I wear it, I feel transported, powerful, magical, and incredibly sexy. It smells almost earthy to me, with the spices blending together perfectly. I absolutely adore incense scents, and this is without a doubt one of my top two (my other favourite being Andy Tauer's L'Aire du Desert Marocain). I have a feeling that Timbuktu and I will go a long way together.

Timbuktu by L`Artisan Parfumeur 4.14 out of 5 based on 716 ratings and 116 user reviews

Sephora.com, Inc.
L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu 3.4 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu 3.4 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.4oz
L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.4oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Timbuktu by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Timbuktu by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.