Designers » L » Leather « Groups

Traversee du Bosphore L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men

Traversee du Bosphore L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

leather
Traversee du Bosphore L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures Traversee du Bosphore L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

L'Artisan Parfumeur has introduced Traversee du Bosphore in October 2010. The composition is inspired by the perfumer's journey to Istanbul.

Apple and pomegranate are in the top, leather and tulip (saffron note) are in the heart, Turkish delight (rahat-loukum: rose, sugar, almond) is in the base note. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour.

Red Apple Pomegranate Spicy Notes

Saffron Leather pink tulip iris Tobacco

Rose white honey Sugar Pistachio Musk Nougat

Traversee du Bosphore Fragrance Reviews

cstands
cstands

Verdict first: It's a YES PLEASE from me! There is so much I'd like to comment on with Traversee Bosphore, that I'm going to break into bullet points!

*What power the name holds! This scent is a sophisticated journey to the treasures that belie a Turkish souk. Yet.... "Marshmallow dream" would probably have been a totally plausible alternative, was it not for the top quality of the product. The PERFECT name has been chosen. WHAT an enjoyable journey! (Honestly, go and sniff the drydown! It's amazing how similar nougat / pistachio can smell to marshmallow!!)
*Having been enticed by smouldering reviews, I've eyed up this one for a while. Blind buy time! (I live far away from cities and fancy perfume shops.) There was the usual anticipation.... WOULD I LIKE IT?!
*The opening: a brash "I'm not your USUAL perfume!" Totally original! I sense a preserved lemon note - as used in Middle Eastern cuisine. Not listed among the notes, but that's what it smells like to me...
* The drydown arrives soon after: the lemon gives way to a most glorious nougat and pistachio.
*On me, this sublime drydown remains fairly linear right to the end (and boy, am I thankful for that?! I just can't get enough of it!)
* Longevity: 7-8 hours on my skin - I usually struggle to cling onto any scent for more than 4 hours. Yay!
* I think this scent would be a winner whether I smell it on a lady or man, in laundry powder or a candle... even in cooking!
*IN FACT! I bet you could sniff this when you have dessert cravings, and be left fully satisfied without needing anything to pass over your lips! (It's THAT good!)
*YES, it's a gourmand - and it's a GREAT one! (Not particularly leathery on me.)
*I'm not usually a fan of unisex perfumes, and couldn't believe how feminine this is on me.... while at the same time masculine on my husband! Crazy science!
* I imagine one day, when I'm in heaven, THIS celestial drydown will be the fragrance that gently floats past!
Heavenly, oh yes!

aistionnelle
aistionnelle

Exotic, gourmand, delicious.A bit powdery, a bit fruity, Traversee is in fact a scent describing smelling climate in Turkey.
First of all delicious nougat and pistachios.They go hand in hand and really picture well- known dessert sold everywhere in this country.
These accents are even more realistic than in Rahat (SL) or Keiko Mecheri`s Loukhoum. Going closer to the heart we can detect some fruits, but they are rather a jam on the plate than fresh apple or pomegranate.I was expecting stronger leathery accents, but there are only slight traces of them.Not very spicy with saffron whirls around a heart. TdB is all for sweetness but tender one, without killing effects known from Rahat. Opening is in veeery gourmand style and in the base we can smell rose and iris traces,however not intense.They say that tulips, symbolic for springtime are blooming as first in this area. Not a killer but with a good sillage and average longevity TdB it`s an uplifting scent. And for those who are dreaming about exotic journeys too.Some local specialities, domes of mosques shining in the sun, souvenirs from a bazaar in the centre of Istambul,handmade,sumptously decorated carpets.A little dark haired boy calling to check what his father is selling.All this splendour and exotic climate of passage between two continents are closed in a bottle.I`m in love with it!

gelo999
gelo999

With this fragrance I had the feeling of being in a candy store, eating jelly beans and cotton candy.

The very jovial and cheerful entrance, has been the most original and what I liked most with this sweet feeling of apple with sugar and honey.

Then the leather inside this batch seems loose as it barely foreshadowed, only seen during the middle notes by the iris and feel very good the spicy effect harmonize well and gives a touch of Turkish delight. Actually, the final drying which I found more boring, less succulent and edible the start.

Duration and moderate stele to be a fragrance L'Artisan where much of their creations have problems lasting and wake, not bad.

Rating: 6.5

K1
K1

Aquatic leather and fruity sugar.
Istanbul as a focal point where the two continents merge, where you find everything from a corner of this planet is a city you only discover thorougly if you live in. It's a very unique city which I haven't seen any sisterhood in spirit yet.

The fragrance opens with sweet balmy smell like spice, tobacco and sea water and sugary notes. Very identical and showy beginning. Leather which is the core of the perfume is implemented perfectly within embracing sugary notes and delightful smoky honey. A distinct gourmand, a smooth leather, a wearable sugary, a warm aquatic and as four seasonal spicy fragrance. It's a complex and arrangement of notes which are separately distinguishable.

Duchaufour tried to capture the spirit of Istanbul in Traversée du Bosphore, but as a foreigner, like himself, I feel lack of characteristics in the scent and it emerges from ephemeral and probably etudes of smells of Istanbul. This city is one of the most unique places which is collection of different cultural layers overlapped in an integrity. Traversée du Bosphore is like different smells from Istanbul not the smell of Istanbul. You have Turkish delight, Turkish coffee, elma şekeri (apple candy), honey to replicate hookah, saffroned leather to replicate bazaar
★★★

Madrona
Madrona

It smells... absolutely fantastic. It smells like an equestrian supplies store. Fancy leather saddles, riding crops and poshness as opposed to leather biker jackets. The red apple note is also very clear and together with the sugar cubes it makes me think of sweet horsie treats.

Betsywoolbright
Betsywoolbright

I just received my 15 mL bottle yesterday. The jury is still out: Do I like it? I'm not sure yet. It smells nice... apple and leather are all I get, before a sugar-sweet drydown perhaps 30 minutes later. It all smells very synthetic to me, through every state of its development. It's not bad and I don't dislike it. But, based on the two times I've worn it thus far, it hasn't met my expectations.
(Interestingly, I am reminded of a less-tart "Play it Rock" from Playboy!)

freakypirate
freakypirate

This scent opens with iris leather notes, a bit balmy and sweet like syrup. I smell pomegranate, and almond nougat, all sugary. The leather moves down to the base of the scent and the fruity sweetness stays on top of that. The scent is linear on me from here and slowly fades out, with small hints of iso-e-super and lots of ambroxan in the drydown.

Longevity is and sillage are moderate on me.

Traversee du Bosphore is a very sweet and sugary gourmand scent, with a bit of leather iris dustiness that defines the difference between candy and perfume. I wish the leather would stay a bit longer though. I enjoy wearing this scent on happy summer days.

dsty
dsty

I've been wanting to try Traversée du Bosphore for ages. Just like everyone else, I'm totally charmed by the idea of an olfactory trip to a bazaar in Istanbul, suggested by the wonderful name and the intriguing list of notes. I've also recently realised that I like the way leather complements gourmand notes very much - the combination can make the former softer and more wearable and the latter more sophisticated and grown-up, potentially merging them into the perfect kind of scent . So needless to say, my expectations were very high, and I was very excited to get my hands on a little decant.

After some weeks of testing, I'm still not entirely sure whether those high expectations have been met. I adore the opening, which is unfortunately the only phase where the leather note is at all noticeable, at least to my nose/on my skin, and the same goes for the apple note. Both of these work just as well as I had hoped in combination with the sweeter notes, which aren't very pronounced yet at this stage, but definitely present in the background, especially the honey and nuts and something like rosewater. So delicious, though not entirely edible because of the leather - at this stage, the fantasy of the Turkish bazaar is very easy to imagine indeed, and if it stayed like this I'd probably already be counting this among my favourites.
Unfortunately, the leather and the apple note disappear very quickly, and the less subtle sweetness of sugar and nougat dominate the rest of the scent instead. From this stage on it reminds me a bit of Mandorlo di Sicilia - it was surprising, but I see here that I'm not the only one. It has the same kind of slightly off sweetness in the heart, and the same powdery, vanilla-heavy drydown. Without a doubt, this is very nice as well, but there are better Turkish delight scents out there and the opening is definitely the standout part.

All in all, I do like this Traversée very much - after all, the opening is excellent and the rest of the time it's just fine. It's too bad that that wonderful opening doesn't stick around for a bit longer, but I still think this'll become a fall and winter staple for me.

smora
smora

Until the teleportation is invented this scent will be my mental teleportation to Istanbul. The essence of East transformed to the golden drops. A meticulous work from the master of Oriental magic. The notes of metropolis chaos merged into the balanced fragrance. Shisha apple, spices and soft Eastern softness. The heart is filled with iris, saffron and honey on suede. As dessert the rose and pistachio rahat loukoum is served. A great L'Artisan fragrance, and apparently recently discontinued.

Scentrack - Ofra Haza - Im Nin'Alu

Rating: Eastern ****

sunnyinphilly
sunnyinphilly

On my skin I can detect the red apple and the leather only in the first 5 minutes.
After that this all vanish and there are left only the sugar, the nougat and the honey.
Today, I am wearing Traverse du bosphore, but a friend of mine asked if I am with Mandorlo di Sicilia. You can imagine my surprise!

tokamak110
tokamak110

The opening is a bit overwhelming, but after 10 minutes, it develops into a lovely sweet yet dry scent, a desert of dessert:)

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

In one word: Exotically Divine!

Istanbul is an exciting place and embodies so many paradox aspects of nature, being half European Mediterranean, the other (bigger) half being Asian, or "Near East" to be more precise. Islamic but very Euro-friendly, resulting in modern new found freedom, constantly rope-tying with the old-world of tradition and confinements of religion.
Everything of those aspects are in this juice, juxtaposed, that I think should be seen as a celebration of the modern Turkish woman: Feminine, modern yet in touch with her past and respectfully so, sweet and delicate, and just so breath-takingly beautiful.
I also wish to say at this point that I am a huge fan of the Turkish language that flows so elegantly and is so harmonic and melodic, usually rare for a typical Islamic language. This scent flows like this language. It's a song.

This juice opens up very medicinal and it catapults me back to my childhood days, when mom took me to the "Reformhaus", German for an apothecary that sells organic products, remedies and all sorts of tinctures and chemical compounds, that seep into the environment, creating this marvellous sharp beginning.

Soon after most of the floral notes come through, in particular, I love the tulip note, that is very unusual and not to be found in many fragrances. The sugar and apple seem very dominant on my skin, and cover the rose like the typical Turkish Delight, rolled in additional honey and broken wafer chips.

At this point this creation is not dissimilar to BOND #9's "West Side" but while the latter goes more towards vanilla, wet juicy rose, this one here remains sharper, spicier and has the nutty nougat meets pistacchio gourmand note.
Yes it smells of ice cream but it is not sickly sweet thanks to the leather and saffron accord, that keep your nose longing for more.

It's almost like a carrot in front of donkey, you never reach it, but you reach out for it. It is always there, dangling in front of you, creating an allure of being close enough to reach; similar to the beauty of these modern, proud, beautiful women.

It is not a sillage monster but it lingers and envelopes you into a wonderful skin scent that won't let go for hours, like a reliable and loyal companion.

To me this is instant "feel good" happy go lucky scent therapy and should work for someone looking for a truly delightful, modern Mediterranean leather-rose gourmand.

Bertrand Duchaufour is a master and this is another masterpiece of abstract perfumery in my book.

Verdict: 10/10.

lilalina
lilalina

Very mysterious yet comforting sweet scent. The opening has a pronounced leather accord then fades out and blends in with the fruity sweetness of the lokum. Beautiful.

I think this one is much better suited for cooler temperatures, which may explain some of the negativity. The leather is light, but so is the Turkish Delight element, and it isn't super sweet or especially musky (nor is it animalic). On major positive is that it doesn't come across as "synthetic" even though it feels like synthetics were used, perhaps in fairly large amounts. It's rather simple, and so it's well-suited to those who want a pared-down experience with exactly this kind of quality. If you want a stronger Turkish Delight type scent, you might want to try KL's Loukhoum. This is quite nice, and I can see myself wearing it a few times a year, but I can't imagine spending $150 or so for a 100 ml bottle.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

I used to have a Turkish coworker who would go home twice a year to Turkey, and every time he came back he would bring us a huge box of Turkish delight. It was different from anything I'd ever smelled or tasted, a uniquely, addicting mix of pistachio, rose, saffron and honey, dusted in a fine powdery sugar. Traversee du Bosphore doesn't really smell like that box of Turkish delight even though it has some of the same elements. To me it smells like a leather platter filled with nougat, honey, pistachio and sugar. In the dry down, iris, rose and apple also comes out.

Gourmands are not my preference but this is one I'd consider for cooler weather. It's difficult to explain, but along with a long lasting, soft-medium silage this has a different sweetness from the typical cotton candy, sugary, syrupy, sweet perfumes out there. It is leathery, sweet and warm with a winter deliciousness.

AZJeff
AZJeff

This fragrance smells nice but not sure if it's for me. I just sampled this again from a decant. I got it from the Decant Shop, I wanted to leave a review on their site but I see they don't have there anymore which means it's sold out.
It smells kind of odd or strange but in a good way. The apple note plus some other notes together usually don't get along with my chemistry but on this one it's ok. This sure is sweet.! Look at all the sweet notes: sugar, nougat, honey and then there's 2 fruit notes and some floral notes.
I don't think I'm the type of guy who could pull this off very well.

Nosey49
Nosey49

KChild does an excellent job describing this fragrance.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Why have I never tried this before now?!

I love Turkish Delight, I love leather, I love the notion of travelling the silk route and have wanted to travel to Persia for a long time!

This perfume is not simply a literal translation of notes from an Istanbul market, it drifts poetically across the Bosphorous towards Istanbul, coloured by the rosy light of dawn.

The scents of the awakening city are almost airy in quality- nougat, leather (though I don't get much leather) rose, apple tea being brewed as the market stalls are setting up, the very subtle scent of smoke from a hookah, or a Turkish cigarette.

It's very poetic, it reminds me of perfumes by Olivia Giacobetti. Wonderful, delicate. It's light yes, and it is sweet but it settles and stays for quite a long time on skin

Momenti
Momenti

"A Room With No View" ***

I love Istambul. And I love some Duchaufour's creations.
But I can't fall in love for TDB.
It is certainly unique and will resolve many emotional needs.
What am I missing here?

I stayed once in a hotel room with a view to the Bosphorus.
If I had kept my window closed, this would be the perfume for my company.

But...hélas. Outside there was all that sunny brightness reflecting on the water. And the colorful noise coming from the streets. And the unforgettable setting around me.

East meets west? Asia and Europe embracing?

Maybe mr. Duchaufour's mémoires.
Not mine.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Kind of reminds me of Dzing! except the leather facet has been turned way down until it's barely perceptible and the sweeter, gourmand notes are more up front and persistent. Dzing! is all about the leather while Treverse Du Bosphore evokes more of the "circus" atmosphere (minus the animals) that's described in reviews for Dzing! TDB ia all cotten candy, carmel corn, Coka Cola and all of the other edibles you can find at a circus. Becuase of that it doesn't feel like a leather scent at all. In the end it's just a nice, slightly smoky gourmand scent that's just a little too transparent and fleeting, so it has to be reapplyed often.

Vanilla violin
Vanilla violin

I perceive Traversee as an urban chic leather. I see no bazaars or exotic markets but a leather jacket of excellent quality. The rest of the notes make a unified, blended accord. They wrap around the leather note like a fine silk scarf while allowing it to sing the main part. The consistency is light but not transparent, sweet but not cloying making it a sophisticated gourmand, if there ever was one. A true masterpiece.

kishka
kishka

Many years ago when you had to write to companies and ask for samples to be sent to you and sometimes in those days you got them free of charge - L'Artisan created a perfume called something like Eau de Merveillesance (wrong spelling) BUT it was glorious! It was discontinued as is the wont of perfume houses and I regretted not buying an extra bottle or five! I recently had some samples from NOSE based on a questionaire of what I liked and Travee du Bosphore was one of them and lo and behold it is almost identical to my first love EdM!!!I love this because it is so so beautiful...its not my usual knock em dead type of perfume but as I'm gettint older I'm learning to be a bit more subtle! I love powder...Irissy powder and fruit and sweet things and this embodies all of the above. Thankyou Bertrand for re-creating my old love.

Emma0714
Emma0714

Holy smokes Batman, this perfume is a crazy one. Super difficult to pin down. Imagine going through a Turkish Bazaar, all of the noises, scents and images flashing through your eyes and nose; but in fast forward.

"TURKISH DELIGHTS OVER HERE! FRESH APPLES! TRY ON SOME NEW LEATHER GLOVES TODAY, THE FINEST QUALITY! COME AND BUY YOUR PISTACHIOS AND HONEY COVERED ALMONDS AT CRAZY HAKIM'S NUTS! THE NICEST SPICES IN ALL OF ISTANBUL RIGHT OVER HERE!"

It's like being thrown in a whirlwind of nuts, sugar, candies, spices, leather and smoke. All at once. With no emergency brake. Like Alice in Wonderland, down the hole.
You can, and will, smell it all - at once.

And ......... it's LOVELY. Absolutely adorable! It's so powdery sweet, fun and syrupy, that the bottle is almost sticky to the touch. But strangely enough, it's not overwhelming or cloying. Why? - Absolutely no idea. Crazy.

It's wearable though, and the dry-down is a nice honey-floral kinda fresh mix with warm vanilla. But definitely unique.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I have literally waited years to review this fascinating perfume. It's an odd one, much like their own Dzing!.

It smells like apples, nuts, pink rose petals, saffron, and vanilla bean cooking in sugar water. All of these beautiful scents on top of a layer of silky soft black leather.

I have never had the pleasure of seeing the Bosphorus River. The closest I have come to Turkish Delight is whatever they sell at the Armenian market here. But when I look at pictures, this perfume seems to fit. It is heavenly and otherworldly; comforting and distant at the same time. The scent of watery sweetness makes the corners of the mouth turn up in a broad smile, the way they would when taking in views of the waterway where East meets West. It's hard for an American girl like me--a daydreamer and lollygagger--to not get carried away with my imagination when smelling this perfume. Architecture, music, markets, pipe tobacco, ferries shuttling up and down the river...there is so much happening inside this modest little bottle, yet it is completely cohesive at the same time. It all evokes the Turkey of my imagination.

Sillage is beautiful, with soft whisps of a world of fantasies drifting up to my nose all day long. Such an enjoyable perfume to wear. What a work of art.

Lilalara
Lilalara

I love when scents take you on a journey, and Traversee du Bosphore does exactly that. And it does not matter whether this imagery is only created by the perfume’s name (and marketing) rather than by it being a truthfully oriental scent. What does truthful even mean in the perfume world?

In my head and in my nose, the journey of this perfume starts on a spice market, and then takes me to a cafe where I taste sweet tea (although I do not get any of the fruits) and rahat loukoum and rose tobacco. The day ends in a warm breeze that slowly cools down, bringing the notes of far away irises, violets and musk to me.

Bertrand Duchaufour’s composition does not surprise. In a way, it fulfils all the expectations that one would have of an oriental gourmand, but it does this exceptionally well, with high quality ingredients. And this is why to me, it does not matter that the expectations of a journey through the East are, perhaps, created through marketing rather than ingredients. As Victoria from Bois de jasmin puts it: “Call it Sur le Pont Neuf and include rose macaron instead of Turkish delight in the marketing description – it would not change a thing. I would love this fragrance anyway.”

What I particularly love about Traversee du Bosphore is the way it develops over time. Rather than being overwhelming with all that is in it, it is a slow traveller on its journey, drinking in the beauty of the scenery. The warm spices in the opening give way to a cooler iris later on, but the gourmand ingredients of sugar, honey and nuts – mainly walnuts and pistachios – as well as the rose, remain present from the opening until the end after about six to seven hours. They lean towards the nougat-side of Turkish delight, rather than the fruity varieties.

Traversee du Bosphore is a rather light oriental, with a moderate sillage that makes it suitable for the day as well as the evening. It is one of the few orientals that I would wear to the office, as it is gentle and soft, and utterly delightful throughout.

scent_traveler
scent_traveler

I get a sweet green pear-like note at the opening, which soon turns to the turkish delight. This reminds me of the sweet rose candy my friend from the UK brings over. The leather accord is faint, but under there somewhere, covered in powdered sugar.

A long-lasting perfume. If you go to bed wearing it, you're sure to smell it in your dreams.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I get a lot of honey and nougat with this. Somewhere around the middle notes I get a sweet smokiness and then it settles to a Turkish delight scent. I don't really get any apple from this - which is a shame.
Not signature scent material but does take me back to my travels in Istanbul and that's good enough for me.

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

Sorry! Hate this perfume! Blah! Tried so hard to stomach it but failed to. It smells horrible and disgusting to me unfortunately :( toooo heavily sweetened and overly done.

yoli4ka
yoli4ka

I am in love. Няма ли някоя добра душа, която да иска, да ми подари едно шишенце от тази разкошотия.:)

virtuaria
virtuaria

premetto che amo i profumi di duchaufur e ho comprato questo profumo alla cieca, mi dispiace dover ammettere che non trovo alvuna armonia..spezie e pelle, su di me è orribile. Non avverto la mela, ma frutta che sta andando a male, una grande delusione ( sto pensando al meraviglioso aedes de venustas..)

Smellyfaerie
Smellyfaerie

This is my second attempt on writing a review on this fragrance. My first one, published in another website was long, subjective and probably, not too helpful. I have a very emotional attachment Traversee du Bosphore, so once again, it may be hard to cut it to the chase. I will try to make this as entertaining as possible, though.

Backstory: My grandmother was an Avon lady, she worked for the company until her very old age made her retire. She was completely passionate about the job and, for the loyal customers, who did not want to wait for the catalog delivery, she kept a stash of the best sellers at home, so they would never run out of their favorite lispticks, for example. She stored the products in a cherry wood cabinet, together with her leather and suede stuff. The smell of cosmetic storage impregnated the air each time she opened the closet.

Due to the travelling distance, I only visited my grandmother a few times a year, during school vacations and holidays. And this was when she would spoil her daughters and granddaughters by letting us open those Avon boxes and resupply our make up bags. My memories from those days include, besides spending time with my grandmother, aunts and cousins, getting free cosmetics, eating home made turkish delight and, of course, the smell of that closet… and this is how Traversee du Bosphore smells to me.

For those who survived my ramblings up to now, here is your reward. Bertrand Duchaufour’s Traversee du Bosphore notes include apple, pomegranate, tulip, iris, leather, saffron, turkish delight accord (which I read as honeyed rose and pistacchio), vanilla and musks. Some may call it a “gourmand leather”, which I don’t think is accurate enough: not foody enough to be qualified as a gourmand, and the leather is more like a soft suede.

In the opening, I can detect a very nice and warm iris (probably helped by the saffron), that doesn’t smell exactly powdery, just very round, like that well known lipstick note. A faint hint of apple adds some sweetness to the early drydown, being slowly replaced by an abstract loukoum. I say abstract because this is not a straight loukoum fragrance, at least not along the lines of Keiko Mecheri Loukoums or Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum. As I said before, it is not a “foody gourmand”. As it starts to settle, comes the suede, still paired with that warm iris note, and this is how it remains until the late drydown.

I see it as a unisex scent, which may work better in cool weather. But it is not strong enough to be avoided during summer either. It stays close to the skin (no big sillage) and the longevity is probably the best among the L’Artisans, which tend to be fleeting on my skin.

Tart, pretty candied flowers become overcome by heavier leather/seude notes that don't quite balance with my chemistry. I can detect the Turkish Delight, too, as it comes out very sweet on my skin towards full dry down. An interesting journey, but more like a handful of random postcards than a coherent narrative.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

On opening it I get a green and dry aroma that slowly brings me to bitter almonds , it's funny because not on almonds in his notes, perhaps the pistachio and the iris combined, but not sure .

After a few minutes , the bitter tone is giving time to a dusty and slightly sweet vibe, almost like lipstick smell that stays on the skin for about 30 minutes and then it evolves again getting sweet liqueur , juicy, thus taking its essence gourmand on skin that lasts for 1 hour.

Finally , I feel the honey , flowers and spices that join this aroma that is already delicious, and add sensuality and a mysterious touch. Lasts a good 8-10 hours on the skin. The sillage is moderate, but I confess that I like this, will only feel it, those who deserve to get closer to you .

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Pazarlamanın özellikle parfüm alanında kullandığı yöntemlerden birisi "hikaye" yaratmaktır. Karşılaşmışsınızdır, yeni bir parfümle ilgili bir reklam-tanıtım yazısını okurken parfüm sanki bir koku gibi değil bir başka evren gibi anlatılır. Kısmen doğru olsa da genellikle bu metinler abartılı ve parfümle alakasızdır. Bu yönteme gereksiz demiyorum, hatta markaların bu yöntemle uzmanlara parfüm siparişi verdiğini biliyorum. Sadece metin ve hikaye ile parfümün genellikle örtüşmediğini söylüyorum.
Bosphore de durum değişmiyor. Pudra şeker kokusunu "kapalı çarşıda gezerken esinlenilmiş" olarak pazarlamak buna bir örnek. Lokum eğer ağır şekilde kokulandırılmış değilse pudra şeker gibi kokar. Bu parfümde de en baskın koku bu. Bu giriş sonrasında parfümü beğenmediğimi düşünebilirsiniz ama öyle değil. Koku bence oldukça başarılı. Pudra şekeri kokuya hakim ama tek başına değil. Diğer notalara da yer var. Erkekler de kullanabilir ama kadınlara daha çok yakışacaktır.
Çiçek kokularını, iris i alabiliyorsunuz ama deri kokusu nereye gizlenmiş, saklanmış anlayamadım. Elma kokusu "gibi" bir şey var ama bizim alıştığımız bir elma kokusu ortada yok.
Kalıcılık ve koku dağılımı başarılı ve yeterli. Şlk 1 saat içinde olgunlaşmasını tamamlıyor ve daha fazla bir değişim göstermiyor. Zaten bu hali ile de oldukça keyifli.
Çok sıcak havalar için uygun değil, özellikle açık ortamlarda keyifli olacaktır.
Bu parfümün içinde baharatlar biraz daha baskın olsa ya da karabiber biraz sahne alsa, çok hafif tütsü ve tarçın-karanfil karışımı olsa belki o zaman Kapalı Çarşı havası denilebilirdi. Bu hali ile daha çok lüks bir AVM de bulunan lokum mağazasını andırıyor. Lokum ise en sıradan olanı, pudra şekeri dışında bir kokusu olmayanın dan. Bu konuyu daha fazla irdelememiz durumunda oryantalizm konusuna girmek gerekeceğinden burada bırakmakta yarar var.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Traversée du Bosphore opens with a pleasant, evocative and invigorating Middle-Eastern blend comprising warm notes of powder, amber, vanilla, spices (tonka above all to me), a sweet and earthy tobacco note providing a darker, yet always mellow “support” to the powdery-amber-spicy accord. It may sound simple, but actually it’s a rather pleasant and perhaps quite complex harmony of colours and shades, with a thin but totally solid texture, basically a sort of warm Oriental talc-amber-spicy scent with an ephemeral boozy heart. Now... the issue here, as with many scents by L’Artisan, is that of all this suddenly turns into a fairly light (and somehow generic) skin-scent, as much pleasant as “faded”. It’s like a time machine that in 30 minutes transports you directly 4 hours later, on the very drydown. Great until it lasts, then barely nice overall, but... meh, bit of a tune on the “volume/persistence” knob would be appreciated in my opinion.

6,5/10

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

Total love at first sniff!! I saw the bottle at a niche shop while on holiday in istanbul so it immediately caught my attention. I took a sniff from the nozzle and my jaw dropped while staring wide eyed at the sales guy helping me. It smelled... unique! a blast of middle-eastern sensuality, fruits, freshness yet lushness, sweet smoke raising from the bazaars, fragrant tea, sparkling pomegrenate...
i immediately bought it and now it's my ticket to the bosphorus shores when i'm away. It's not heavy, not balmy and not cloying. Very different from most orientals. The dry-down though looses some of the apple tea vibe for more vanilla..
It can be quite long lasting( sometimes 10 hours) and has polite, intimate sillage. Then again its ok, this perfume is a personal experience. Loove it.

scent: 8/10
longevity: 6/10
sillage: 5/10

Aiant
Aiant

My childhood was really happy, and one of my best memories is of my grandmother's house. When I arrived, the first thing I felt was the warm smell of apple peels sprinkled sugar, burning in the embers of the fire.That was the first feeling, first sensation, when I smelled this wonderful masterpiece.Then, dropping the first notes I remembered my first leather jacket, where there was always some candy or confit in pocket ... To share it with my first love.In short, delicious happiness in a bottle. Indeed, very lucky to have found this gem and have it in my collection, natural flavor, high quality. Do not hesitate to have it.

sophywt
sophywt

Bought last winter, it arrived during those worst smog days in Beijing - I hadn't seen clear sky or the sun for a few days. It's pretty a gloomy winter mood, makes people feel don't have passion and don't want to do anything.

I thought Traversee du Bosphore was something very mid-east style of exotic. It's not like any leather scent I know, it actually is not really like a leather scent. On me, the dry and honeyed fruit notes dominate the whole body and base notes. There are a blink when I get wierd gas note, but other then this, it's almost a perfect scent: tasty, honey sweet, vanila, these all make it warm. cosy and in a brief time I thought I saw the sun shining above.

It's strang that a rather gourmand scent reminds me of sun. It's not literary sunlight as lots aldehyde scents present, but evokes the feeling when people bath in the sunlight. Very impressive!

Lana148
Lana148

This is complicated, gourmand fragrance, but If I could simplify, I'd say it smells like sweet, smoky, leathery almonds. In actuality, you can smell all the ingredients listed.

This one is fun and well composed, must try for gourmand fragrance lovers.

wendyyparty
wendyyparty

Nose candy in a bottle! Really sweet, addictive and easy to wear.

However, don't get me wrong by the word "sweet" here. Traversee du Bosphore is nothing cloying like Pink Sugar or La Vie Est Belle. It is merely a bottle of smokey-honeyed apple (the Iris note helps to light up the scent from being too smokey IMO). Red apple in fragrances always get me nauseated but certainly not this one.

Too pricey for a simple fragrance, but I know a man will love it on his date. SO YUMMY!

--------

Edited: The dry-down is amazing!

polly golightly
polly golightly

cuoio, tabacco fresco, miele. lievemente fruttato. fratello di loukhoum ma assai più delicato. una gradevolezza che sa di delizie turche. sulla mia pelle è orribile.

HausFrau
HausFrau

Love the dry down, hate, hate, HATE the top notes. The leather is unfortunately the strongest note my skin amplifies, so that it's nearly unbearable until it settles a little. Once it calms down, the sweet, chewy notes are detectable, but not as strong as I would like. As an experience I appreciate it, but I am unsure where I'd like to smell this way. My man's skin amplifies the loukhoum notes beautifully and it just irritates the crap out of me that it doesn't smell that delicious on me.

bookishbeauty
bookishbeauty

This is really lovely. A soft leather, under sweet powdery apples and flowers. If I close my eyes when wearing this, I could easily imagine myself wearing the most buttery soft, luxurious leather blazer while walking in some exotic locale.

jennix
jennix

Similar to J'S Exte Man.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

My family owned and operated a restaurant named "Bosfor" that was located right on the Bosphorus for over 50 years. Standing upon round blocks buried deep into the sea, it was surrounded by water on three sides, had a splendid view of the canal, the dark blue waves that rose and splashed against its windows, and the glorious sunsets of the Marmara Sea that conjured images of pure magic when I was growing up. My mom says that countless folks including many international celebrities over the years have patronized our restaurant and enjoyed our delicious food. It was eventually demolished by the merciless local government due to refurbishment of the old western side of the city. To me however, the Bosphorus and that restaurant will always have an irreplaceable place in my heart. Besides the standard steak, chicken, and seafood dishes that come out of most professional kitchens, we also served traditional deserts that my parents said many people came from all over the world specifically to sample. One of them was our famous, fresh made lokum, which our pastry chef made with a secret ingredient he never shared with anyone, not even my parents! I remember it being so much different than any of the lokums that you could buy in the stores. Though it was thick and chewy to the point sticking to your teeth, it made up for that little inconvenience by hitting your tongue with the right amount of sweet & savory that was to die for.

Traversée du Bosphore captures that lokum of my childhood perfectly. The hint of a pink flower, the powder, and the gel-like consistency... The pure creative genius of Bertrand Duchaufour is evident when you look at the notes pyramid and notice that instead of the traditional rose + vanilla + heliotrope to form the powdery notes, he took an unconventional route by combining iris and pink fruity notes to capture the flavor of a powdery confection. The leather, I believe, was added here to reflect the rubbery quality of lokum rather than to make a statement of virile sensuality. It was a most fruitful choice, because of all the lokum fragrances I've ever tried, this composition is the only one that gave me that impression so accurately. Lasting power is around 8 hours on my skin. Although in no way could this be described as a skin scent, the sillage is fairly close throughout its lifespan. I can only picture Mr. Duchaufour taking a bite out of a piece of lokum when he was traveling through Istanbul and being moved enough to want to go straight back to his laboratory to recreate that delicious sensation. Well, they don’t call them “Turkish Delight” for nothing! :) I recommend this fragrance not only because it is an exemplary mature gourmand, but also for the travel-lovers out there who might just be vicariously transported to the same time and place of my childhood and that of the nose behind it.

Mr. Duchaufour: Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for helping me relive my memories with this precious elixir.

drakecito
drakecito

This is a very complex and dificult fragance to muy nose.
Ther are a lot of notes here.
Opens with a red apple prominent note that transforms into a leather-tobacco-spicey notes.
Then, keeps changing into a sweet honey-floral-spicy notes, than is my favorite part in this fragance.

It is a difficult scent than must be carried repeatedly to appreciate everything. I don't know if this is a gourmand scent but is very close to it.

Longevity is good with moderate-low sillage.

scent: 7.5/10
longevity: 8/10
sillage: 5/10

fpih
fpih

My husband travels a few times each year to Istanbul for business and when he comes home, he always brings a package of Turkish Delights. This fragrance reminds to me of opening the box and that sweet, powdered sugar reaching my nostrils. IMO, the actual delights have more prominent rose notes than Traversee and a caramel note that's completely absent here. Traversee also reminds me of baby powder, but only after the initial suropy taste has faded.

I find that I like it very, very much and it's a very comforting but also elegant scent for winter. There's little to no projection, but I don't mind since it lasts and lasts on my skin for hours and I get whiffs of it constantly. It may not be a sexy scent, but it's not girly, or fruity either; it's a skin scent that even grown ups can enjoy and wear with ease all day. Just don't let the initial sweetness scare you away because it doesn't last too much. Oh, and the drydown, after 5 or 6 hours that is, reminds me of a softer and less sweet Louve, as the almonds become much more pronounced. I do own Louve as well, but find it somewhat overwhelming when the temperature's not completely frigid; I think Traversee is more intimate and also easier to wear even in warmer weather due to its soft nature. In fact it's one of very few sweet scents and/or gourmands I own, that can be worn all year round. Beautiful and distinctive, if it's a skin scent different from the usual musks and sandalwoods that you're seeking, this one is worth a try.

Update: The number of compliments this one has brought me is more than any other fragrance I own! Even after a full day at work, people still smell it on me, but it's never offensive, always soft and tender, like a baby's breath. And though I don't see it as such myself, almost everyone who comments on it, identifies it as an oriental, even before I tell them its name. Can't say I see it as an oriental myself, but I guess it has a mysterious aura besides the sweetness after all :)

brightstar
brightstar

In the opening I get the powder from the iris and a soft and delicate leather. I don't get much spices, maybe a little bit of saffron but it's not clearly distinctive. In the middle there's this notes that reminds me of a scented green pen I had at school when I was a kid. It's apple and sugar. Delicious.
I've never been to Istanbul but I've always imagined a fragrance about this city to be spicier and smokier. Maybe the beauty of this fragrance is that it's not what you expected. A sweet surprise. Pure. Innocent.

mysterious_scent
mysterious_scent

Sweetened powdery apple tea, exactly feels like the apple tea I had in Istanbul.

spidola
spidola

Nice, soft, leathery gourmand…It’s easy to wear it, it’s easy to like it, but it is not a scent which makes me close my eyes, respire slowly and enjoy it infinitely…I guess I do not love the sweetened apple around which the whole composition plays.
I have to say another thing. When I tested it first time, I thought have taken a wrong sample. I thought it was Skin on Skin. Both of them are creations of perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour and I have samples of both …But it wasn’t … The opening of TdB was so close to Skin on Skin – just leather and iris, beautiful. After 15 minutes the illusion of Skin on Skin vanished, I smelled always leather notes, but with sweet honey and apple. The apple remained dominant until the end. Only the opening compares to Skin on Skin, not the heart, neither the dry down.
I have to say I love Skin on Skin, but I just like Traversee du Bosphore.

serchina
serchina

I have been waiting for a long time to make this review, since I have ups and downs with my perfumes especially when it comes to gourmands. They make me sick after awhile which fortunately didnt happen with Traversee du Bosphore.
Honestly, I was a little bit scared when I purchased it cause of the intensive sugar and red apple note that were directly in my face. My nose is very sensitive about any apple note and if it is there in a perfume I cant detect any other single note except for the apple.
Thanks to Bertrand Duchaufour's masterful piece of art here I love the red apple in TdB. It transforms into a lovely sweet and soft leather with sugar, honey, saffron and still red apple in the background.
Folks, this is not loukhoum/turkish delight, this is sweet syrupy Baklava from Turkey.
Are you looking for a fairy tale in a perfume?
It is definitely Traversee du Bosphore!

Q80
Q80

this one smells like an ice cream, vanilla like ice cream the most. maybe some turkish delight as well, but mostly it's ice cream.
This perfume was inspired by the bazaar of istanbul where the spices, leather goods, turkish delights, ottoman's sweets, soaps, & cotton goods under one roof. but trully all i can smell was the sweetful essence of the vanilla ice cream.

marioslg3
marioslg3

i ordered this just out of curiosity and in case is too feminine, my wife will take it...but i rather see it as masculine, especially the top notes. The leather is always there whispering together with the sweet notes.
This is my first day of using it and it seems that it doesnt last although is EDP. Minimum Sillage and longevity in other words.
The sweetness is coming from the fruity notes, sugar and honey mainly and the perfume develops and changes all the way up to the end. The leather is coming and going and at the base notes, the perfumes leans toward the feminine side but is not feminine. Absolutely unisex!
top notes together with the leather, there is some bitterness that reminds almonds...unfo, not my taste...i was expectin something more actually...in contrast with dzing which is a fantastic perfume but i had doubts before smelling it..

ian85
ian85

Beautiful post, Freddinos. I would add a rose to my nose: leather, rose and sugar... More a skin scent, "une gourmandise" but not a "gourmand". low sillage and good longevity. I love it.

freddinos
freddinos

This perfume literally left me in awe. It transported me to Constantinople, the long lost gone capital of the Byzantine Empire... One sniff and I am wandering the market of modern Istanbul, the Capali Carsi, smelling the sheep leather jackets on display (if you have ever travelled to Turkey you will know that they use sheep leather for their products, and it has a very distinctive pungent smell), the sutzuk loukum with all the powdered sugar and almonds, the spices mingling with tastes in the air... Later, you would stop at an outdoor 'cafe' for tea and apple flavored arguile (shisha), and would also indulge in a traditional syropy baclava made with loads of sugar and sheep butter... Traversee du Bosphore was a exactly like a day of sightseeing in Istanbul...
I don't know if I would go as far as to wear it as a perfume, but it did transport me on first sniff.
Many thanks to pixiepuff for the generous sample!

hadassa

What a fantastic smell! My olfactory fairy tale.

This is my second review on TdB. I was disappointed with the longevity and the development of it while writing the first comment on this perfume half a year ago.

Since then I have tried probably about a hundred of other perfumes, my tastes have changed, and I also suppose that my nose has become more sensitive :) This is the only explanation to the fact that now I enjoy TdB immensely! And I am also quite satisfied by the longevity, especially now, in cold and snowy weather.

I mainly get iris, very soft suede note, light honey, pistachio ice cream, saffron, and sweet apple.

I think it's a love or hate perfume. In my opinion, it is somehow... unforgettable. It's truly unusual. Once you tried it you will always remember how it smells. And to me personally, it smells lovely. A fairy-tale bottled it is!

One of my favorites and certainly a must try in the soft gourmand department.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

What a terrible fragrance!

I bought it almost unsniffed... By that I mean, I smelled it about 4 years ago and thought it was a complex smell unlike anything I had experienced before. I remember tobacco and smokiness, moving towards roses, incense and something sweeter. I wasn't sure I liked the sweet (lokhoum) part, but overall it was very exciting. It was a perfume that stayed in my olfactive memory.

Then I read reviews that were mostly positive, if not ecstatic, about the wondrous "traversée du Bosphore".

So I bought it online, unsniffed. Big, big mistake!

On me, it smells like cheap, sweet plastic, with a medicinal overlay that makes me want to gag. I literally get nauseated. Now, it does remind me of some other smell that I haven't been able to pinpoint, so it may be related to a bad childhood experience (i.e., stomach ache, medicine, more stomach ache)...

In any case, I find the Traversee du Bosphore completely unappealing.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Honeycrisp Apple hand lotion (leather and apple)...

I think TDB is more suitable for young ladies and boys (teenagers and college students). TDB is not bad, it just lacks the sophistication and seduction more mature people seek in fragrances. TDB feels stickily sweet (syrupy) and cloying in a juvenile way. It reminds me of those $10 little perfumes or fruty hand sanitizers that young girls buy at Victoria Secret, Bath & Body Works, The Body Shop, etc. It smells very closely to Bath & Body Work's Honeycrisp Apple hand soap/lotion, but with leather complementing it.

TDB is essentially a leather fragrance dosed in ultra sweet notes. It is an unisex fragrance but I think it tilts a little bit to the feminine side because of the sweetness and some flowery notes in the background. Both silage and longevity are above average.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I love loukhoum centered fragrances and am lucky to own three gorgeous, different interpretations. Keiko Mercheri's Loukhoum Eau Poudree would be the bubbly giddy headed young girl whose favourite colour would be pink. Lucky for her, good breeding lends some panache to her pink. Serge Luten's Louve is a cold, harder version of loukhoum. Yes the sugar and the almonds are there, but frozen in an icy veil- for me it brought about memories of blisteringly cold walks in and about Europe, warm memories of winter smells. Traversee du Bosphore lies in between these two extremes. The sweetness is held in reign by the saffron and leather which also help to warm up the fragrance and keep it from going frigid like Louve.
The only drawback that I find as with most of L'artisans, is the sillage and longevity. Albeit better than chasse aux papillons in terms of sillage, it is still very much a skin scent for me. Longevity is much better, lasting at least over eight hours for me, which is satisfactory but not remarkable. Still despite these negatives, I find myself having bought a full bottle of this warm beauty to add to the gourmand section flanked by her two siblings.

Kain
Kain

I'm testing this fragrance via my sample and I must say I'm quite impressed .............. but not by the juice!
Actually by all these positive reviews!!!
What the hell?!!
The opening is a very synthetic and in your face note of pomegranate with lots of sweetness and some floral notes in the background.
The opening is just synthetic chemical mess that remind me of cough syrup! it's terrible!
After a while and in the mid that synthetic pomegranate note settle down just a bit and the floral note goes away.
Now you can smell a sugar like sweetness which is a little stronger than the opening and there is small amount of leather in the background.
The leather note is just there to give the scent slightly dirty and dark feeling.
You will have this scent until the base shows up!
In the base you have a very sweet sugary scent with leather, synthetic fruity scent and some floral notes in the background.
That terrible synthetic fruity note never goes away and it's there all the time to torture my nose!
When I'm going for a niche fragrance brand and I want to pay more money, at least I'm expecting quality and this one doesn't have it at all!
Very synthetic fruity note meshing with other notes that create a very bad unbalanced scent!
A big thumbs down!
I hate it!
Projection is average and longevity is above average on my skin.

راستش من این عطرُ از روی سمپل دارم تست میکنم و واقعا برام جای تعجب داره که مردم دارن از چی این عطر مزخرف تعریف و تمجید میکنن؟
رایحه اولیه بوی بسیار تند و غیر طبیعی و شیمیایی مانند میوه انار هست که با یه عالمه رایحه های شیرین ترکیب شده
راستش بوی اون منو دقیقا یاد شربت ضد سرفه اکسپکتورانت میندازه
بی نهایت بی کیفیت و شیمیایی مانند و بدبو
کمی هم میشه بوی کلایم گلها رو حس کرد
پس از گذر مدتی بوی شیمیایی میوه انار خیلی جزئی ملایمتر میشه و بوی عطر کمی شیرینتر و اون بوی گل از بین میره
حالا کمی بوی چرم هم میشه حس کرد. البته بوی چرم به وضوح به مشام نمیرسه و فقط در حد هست که یه ته بوی تلخ و سنگین به عطر بده
بوی میوه ای همچنان قوی و فوق العاده بدبو هست
با گذر زمان و در رایحه پایه شما بوی شیرین و قوی حس میکنین که میشه در کنارش بازم اون بوی میوه ای شیمیایی و کمی رایحه چرم و کمی هم رایحه گلها رو حس کرد
اون بوی بسیار شیمایی میوه ای اصلا از بین نمیره و تا آخر بوشو میتونین حس کنین
وقتی من میرم سراغ عطرهای نیش و قراره مبلغ زیادی پرداخت کنم حداقل توقع دارم کیفیت ساخت عطر بالا باشه ولی اینجا یه بوی بسیار بی کیفیت و سطح پایین داریم که به هیچ وجه ارزش خرید نداره
پخش بوش متوسطه و ماندگاری نسبتا خوبی داره
متنفرم از بوی این عطر

christianne1
christianne1

This is a very female friendly leather and you get a pretty hefty dose of leather initially but the apple and pomegranate keep it from being too dude like. When you first spray it, it is definitely "mmmmm" worthy due to the fruit, then the leather quickly takes over to counter the fruity sweetness. The floral notes (tulip and rose) join in and continue to help offset the leather, keeping it unisex. I usually find heavy leather fragrances to be too masculine for my comfort level but not with this. But...later the Turkish delight, sugar and almond give it a creamy and sweet honey-like feel...so it may become too sweet for a lot of men.

I was friends with a girl from Turkey years ago and I swear her apartment kind of smelled like this (and so did she) so the Istanbul vibe is pretty accurate.

This smells seriously good and is "almost" a dream fragrance...especially the dry down...but it just misses the mark by a hair for me. While Traversee du Bosphore is by no means one of my favorites from L'Artisan, I find it to be interesting and very enjoyable to smell. One thing I like about their fragrances is that they settle down fairly quickly and you don't have to wait an hour or two for something pleasant. I blind buy all of my L'Artisan fragrances because I am rarely disappointed enough to regret the purchase. That kind of says a lot.

I feel that this stays fairly close to the body. I actually prefer minimal sillage because I don't want anyone to smell me until they are standing right next to me. Or even better...hugging me. I don't want to go around announcing my fragrance to everyone. I equate that with loud music from a stereo. While I may enjoy it, others may not and I do not want to force it on them. L'Artisan is generally polite olfactory "music" and that is just one of the reasons why I prefer their fragrances.

Lasts forever on me, 10-12 hours. I would give Traversee du Bosphore a 4/5.

ditush
ditush

When you first spray this you get a very strong apple note and a leather note and then (not long after) it completely changes and dries down to a very lovely sweet feminine (not very unisex to be honest) scent that smells like Dolce&Gabbana Pour Femme on my skin. However, Pour Femme has a much better longetivity and sillage so I like it a lot more which is a bit sad because Traversee du Bosphore was launched sooner and thus is the "original".

I wish it would stay the same the whole time. The juicy apple smell is very exciting indeed but there is nothing astonishing about the drydown. The longetivity and projection suck which is sometimes the case with L`Artisan Parfumeur, but not always.

This is the least original scent from L`Artisan Parfumeur that I have tried and I am a huuuge fan of some of them but this one is a bit disappointing.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

Very tasty scent. Almonds, almonds, apple with the sugar , yyyes ,it is yammmmmmyyy and delicate :)

Hoxx
Hoxx

Here is another of Duchaufour’s compositions which has character, personality, uniqueness. Almost a must for this artist’s creations. With this one, though, I have a specific relationship, as I balance between love and disgust. I will try to dismiss my bad memories and to focus on those times I felt the good side of this scent while giving an evaluation, especially because I had troubles with it by my own mistake.

The idea was to make a composition reminding on loukhoum and it was delivered almost too realistically. After a synthetic apple opening which really could have been better, the scent becomes a bomb of sweet rose and almond, lasting for quite a bit before toning down into a sweet leather note. It’s a rather warm, powdery fragrance with a heck of a lot of sweetness throughout its top, heart and base notes.

Now, if you apply it lightly, it can really be a pleasure to your senses, with its sugariness that is still subtle enough. But, be very careful not to overapply it, please. I did once, and, if it wasn’t enough, I sprayed some on my scarf too, just for precaution. After hours and hours and hours of sickening sweetness I couldn’t even think about retrying this perfume for a long period of time, as this was the first perfume ever that literally made me sick. So, avoid applying this with heavy hand for the sake of your own health.

Traversée du Bosphore has a solid longevity, above average for L’Artisan. The trace it leaves is close to you, but heavy – those who get closer to you will feel it in a good measure. It is really a good investment if you are into sweet smells and sweets in general – these two almost always go together. This will be a compliment getter, almost certainly. I see it as a slightly more feminine perfume, but it’s really unisex, as labeled here. Avoid any kind of blind buy though, this is unique and heavy and sweet.

8.5/10

hadassa

When I first smelled it on my skin, I instantly thought "Whoa, this is going to be my new signature, I am going to get a 100 ml bottle, go through it in no time and get another one".

On the opening stage it is stunningly beautiful and unusual, that's why I fell in love with this scent.

Unfortunately, and I say it with profound chagrin, after the initial stage it goes kind of downhill.

What took me initially, is the unique satin feel of this perfume; it smells like a piece of thick gilded satin; I imagine some Byzantine queen in her sumptuous brocade attire when I smell "Traversee". Saying this, the fragrance is neither overtly 'oriental', nor is it thick/heavy.

It seems to me that I get more iris than the majority of Fragranticans who voted here: for me, it is the most prominent note. I actually regard TdB as an iris perfume. Yes, for me it is another take on iris, and a very unusual one.

This perfume is complex and multifaceted in the beginning, it is a shiny mosaic of iris-loukhoum-leather-honey-rose. My nose was glued to my wrists when I tested it; TdB is such a stunner during the first half an hour!

The loukhoum note here is rather fresh-sweetish than sugary. Moreover, it is somehow transparent. There's no gourmand vibe in TdB, at least to my tastes.

The leather note is just perfect, quite strong on the initial stage, but, unfortunately, it fades very quickly. 20 minutes and it's gone. Here's the problem. When leather leaves the composition, it turns into just another pleasant and warm powdery scent.

If there wasn't such a glorious opening, I would not be so disappointed. Let's put it like this: Traversee du Bosphore is a perfume which opens outstandingly, but dries down to something ordinarily pleasant very quickly.

kabelaced
kabelaced

At first spray this was like a plasticky loukhoum, not very pleasant to the nose. But of the loukhoum-type perfumes I've tried, I feel the drydown on this is the most powdered-sugary and even more "accurate" to the smell of real loukhoum. Won't be choosing this because it takes too long for the scent to get rid of that off, plasticky vibe before settling.

It's too bad that Sweet Oriental Dream couldn't dry down into this - that would be perfect!

angel6
angel6

This is the most enchanting perfume I ever tried, it's soft and luxurious. I got it the other day when I was in a shop that had amouage, creed,Juliet has a gun, tokyo milk. But this was the first I tried and I loved the opening and there is nothing sharp or unpleasant in this perfume in the basenotes and after about 2 hours went back and got a bottle of this gem. Mr Duchaufour is really a great nose. I'm in love with this perfume.
Update: two weeks later I went back to the same shop and got a backup bottle. Now I have almost 200mls of this beauty.10/10

This fragrance smells tulips and Turkish delight in general, but none of this notes smells too clear. This fragrance is bright, crispy and sweet. In general I like it, but I can't say that I want it.

Vcederman
Vcederman

Being from the Balkans, I was hoping that this fragrance will remind me of the staples of my childhood - lokum (Turkish delight) rose water and powdered sugar - and it does.

But after wearing it a couple of times I realized that smelling like lokum isn't the same as eating it.

It's just that I didn't find the fragrance all that unique, and also being so overpoweringly sweet, I think it is better suited for young girls.

LittleDragonette
LittleDragonette

This fragrance makes me want to nibble on my own arm. In public. But that would just be inappropriate.
I adorrrrre this! It was perfect for me because I wanted something gourmand-y sweet with an attitude. This was exactly what I was looking for to fill that slot, and I am so happy I bought the FB. Be warned though, if you turn your nose up at anything remotely delectable, then walk on by this sweet shop. However if, like myself, you drool at the thought of a confectioner's sugar-dusted rose-pistachio-spicy-musky-vanilla bonbon then I suggest adding this one to your shelf. Yum.

antfarm
antfarm

Disturbing and cute at the same time. A Barbie doll carved out of loukhoum wearing a little leather vest.

I detect plastic roses, Barbie shoes, a square glob of gelatin, masking tape, leather, and bubblegum...all melding into something edible, but not sweet. A preschool girl's cooking project meets supplies commonly found in Staples.

This is very unusual and right up my alley, except for the fact that I can't smell it after fifteen minutes.

Traversee du Bosphore is an incredible fragrance. I really did not expect it to be so sweet and inviting. I have never been to Turkey, but if this country does indeed smell of oriental spice, smoky leather, syrupy honey and turkish delight, then I want to be there.

The opening is rather heavy with the spice and saffron. I couldn't detect any sweet, fruity notes in the initial stages, so I assumed that Traversee du Bosphore would remain a masculine, spicy scent all the way through.

As the scent started to settle on my skin, the sales assistant began to recite like a parrot the note line-up for Traversee du Bosphore. When she mentioned turkish delight and honey, the sweetness started to kick into gear. I must note that this sweetness isn't gooey or sickly in any way. It actually smells quite smooth and delicious.

Traversee du Bopshore is a complex scent, so sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint any particular note. After testing it a few times on the skin, the most dominant notes to my nose are, crisp, red apple, honey, spice, leather, tulip and turkish rose.

The drydown was surprisingly creamy, which I believe may be due to the nougat accord. At the end of the day, I don't know how I would classify Traversee du Bosphore. One minute it smells like a gourmand, the next minute it smells leathery and warm. It has such a changeable personality.

I haven't explored the entire L'Artisan range, but from what I've tested so far, Traversee du Bopshore is certainly impressive. It's an EDP so the longevity is superb and sillage moderate to strong. I would recommend this fragrance for a cold Autumn night.

raw umber
raw umber

I have traversed the Bosphorus, eaten Turkish delight, as well as other nougat/rose water flavored confections, and was very eager to test Traversee du Bosphore. When I finally tried it, I was mystified by it, until my boyfriend leaned in and said, "Smells like orange creamsicles and paper." I sniffed again, thought about it, and yeah. That pretty much sums it up. Oh well.

catfishy
catfishy

Smells exactly like the plain rose Turkish delight with some sugar powder on it.If you have tried it you know what i mean .

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

On me, pure Turkish Delight and not in a good way. Very sickly and sweet. Dries down to a vanilla with a slightly nasty fake apple note, like Doom mothkiller. What a shame - I normally love Duchaufour's fragrance's but this one's not for me.

leeyah87
leeyah87

I got a sample of this hoping it would smell like an easier-to-wear Loukhoum fragrance, but it ended up smelling like sweet, plastic Barbie doll hair.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Delicate leather mixed with saffron in the beginning, reminds me not of sharp leather in Tom Ford’s Tuscan Leather but of leathers in a Coach bags shop. I don’t get any apple or sugar or vanilla, only leather and saffron, maybe with pomegranate, for there appears a tart note in the composition and it might be the crushed pomegranate skin smell. Then the leather smell becomes gentler, more sweet, but very lightly sweet, like you spilled some rose syrup on your favourite leather bag:). The degree of sweetness is vital for me to like or dislike the fragrance, and Traversee du Bosphore does ok in this aspect. The drydown is a bit simple, I wish there would be more accords in it, but still pleasant to wear. At the very end I get rahat loukoum (Turkish Delight) notes some reviewers mentioned: they are faint and pleasant.
I really think this name - Traversee du Bosphore - goes exceptionally well with what’s inside the bottle. It’s easy for me to imagine myself on a boat in the Black sea wearing this perfume – it has wind and saltiness in it. It might be a great perfume for cool summer evenings on a seaside resort, for me it has more casual outdoorsy feel. I imagine that in official setting it can be slightly stifling, this one needs wind and air to perform at its best.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

This, to me, would be a very pretty, fun and nice perfume if it wasn't for the horrid sour/sweet/powdery APPLE NOTE that lingers on my skin. Ugh. I seem to be pulling a weird combo of sugar/apple/cranberry/pomegranate and missing out on the other lovely notes like saffran (whic was there for only a few minutes, divine) and the honeyed leather (gorgeous for a few minutes too). I wish this would dry down nicely on me because I did manage to find a bottle for the price of a Jessica Simpson fragrance. What a shame. And such a beautiful bottle... *sniff*

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is a very interesting scent. I expected more spice and more leather, but I get more of the slightly sweet scents of the Turkish delight, the rose and pistachio come through. Since I adore Turkish delight I initially thought I liked these notes but there was something lurking in the back of my mind about the scent. So I tried it on my skin a couple more times.

It was the same scent but all of a sudden I knew I had smelled that scent before and it wasn't Turkish delight I was thinking of, It was the juxtaposition of the powdery rosewater of the Turkish delight with the sandalwood and a bit of leather together that I had not been able to place and then, voila, I knew. This is almost the exact scent that Marriott sprays in their hotel rooms and on their carpets in the Courtyard hotels and some of the "regular" Marriotts. It is very good at covering up dingy carpet smells. And the leather and the wood notes both hint at the carpet smell that's being covered up with the florals. I cannot wear this ever again. Eau de hotel room air freshener- no, not paying a lot of money for that. Nyet, non, no.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

This is a very gentle floral-fruity-gourmand-leather fragrance. I think I expected more intensity from it, but it would be a nice introduction to leather scents for those who typically enjoy sweeter fragrances. Not all of the notes are developing on my skin, so my impression of the scent is that it's a little floral (rose), a little sweet (nougat), a little fruity (apple), and a little leathery. But I can tell the fragrance is clashing with my chemistry, because the top notes fell flat and smelled like lipstick on me, while the base notes were too dusty to be enjoyable.

Possum-Pie
Possum-Pie

Strange cloying fragrance. I got the idea of Play-Doh and vanilla. Maybe some caramel. I wanted to like it, but the sweetness needs to be tamed with a lasting citrus note. It dries down to a cloying dessert. I keep wanting to wash my "sticky fingers" like I just ate a sticky bun. I like vanilla, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille worked like a charm...in winter. This just doesn't move beyond sickly sweet.

akats
akats

I think it is more a soft oriental than a leather scent. It is sweet, but cozy and not overwelming. Apple and saffron blend nicely together with sugar and stay long on skin. It surrounds you with a wonderful aura from the beginning to the end. Although I don't like sweet fragrances, this one is a "must have" for me. Excellent!!

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

I have a little test tube of this one and I just put one drop of it behind each ear. Oh my! What can I say. I want to go to bed with this fragrance. Warm, alittle flower, alittle powder, but at the same time very creamy. What makes the creamy scent, is it the white honey? The fragrance makes me think of shining gold jewelry and diamonds. If I could paint this fragrance in a colour, it would defenitely be gold. That's how my brain interprets the scent. Someone said it is a perfect winter scent to keep you warm. I agree. It is a very warm scent, one I imagine one has when sitting infront of a fireplace, watching the flames, with a warm blanket wrapped around your shoulders. I must buy a bottle of this perfume!

rosecat
rosecat

OMG! I love this so much, because it really does smell like "Rose Turkish Delight"!! Yaaay!
On me The notes that warm up and stand above are Rose Syrup, sugared almonds/Pistachio in the background, Caramel and powdered sugar too. It's a gorgeous gourmand. After a few hours the dry down is a lot more caramel than expected, gone is the Turkish Delight Rose, but its still lovely. P.s ... I get no leather or smoke on me at all...phew.

xabaras

Saffron and honey work together magnificently in this fragrance. I can't stop sniffing my wrists when I put this on. It is sweet and creamy. If I had to define it in just 3 words I'd say "caramel with sense", because yes: it is sugary/caramel sweet, but it never, ever, ever comes out as nauseating. The saffron gives it a fragrant, surprising, spicy, dry turn. This one succeeds where others (Candy by Prada for instance) fail dismally. La Traversee du Bosphore covers you in sweetness but does not make you feel as if you've eaten a whole cake in 10 minutes and you're now wondering why you did it...
And it stays with you for hours, a plus.

finzi
finzi

This is a very sweet, soft, creamy scent, and quite thick. A far cry from the dark, smoky, animalic leather scents out there. The leather is (in my opinion) very subtle. If you want something different to the heavy and sometimes masculine leather scents this might be worth a try.

Traversee du Bosphore made me feel stale and uncomfortable. There's something about the sweetness that I find quite stifling and stale. I didn't enjoy this fragrance at all and it certainly isn't on my list of perfumes to buy!

Carestinus
Carestinus

Traversée du Bosphore is the first perfume I've tried that has a three dimensional feel. It is indeed pretty strong but in a delicious way. If you've ever tried turkish delight this is a PERFECT rendition of it. Every time you smell this gourmand it invites you to a journey, you enter that place full of pistachio, apple and sugar (lots of sugar) plus a deliciously elegant leather. You feel there are different layers and they work all together, so you can't escape getting immersed into that world. It lasts for many many hours and I'm delighted when I realise that checking my wrist just for the sake of it, without doing it consciously, means I get such a trip to Turkey, you can't simply smell it and go away, you "enter" this fragrance, and so it always amazes me for the experience.
My only complaint is that the drydown sometimes gets too flat into plain sugar plus a hint of vanilla that is 10000 km away from its initial phases... it has no interesting edges and smells like many other boring cocoa basenotes. You fall from marvellous Istambul into disturbing sugarland. Unbelievably, but it is this disappointing end which prevents me from buying a full bottle (yet). Also, I think that after the mouthwatering top notes, TdB leans more towards the feminine side. Great great addition to your wardrobe anyhow so just test it yourselves!!

xabaras

Traversee du Bosphore is an elegant, sweet, different fragrance. It opens with a fresh and juicy fruity sweetness (probably the apple?), then it changes into some kind of candy smell which becomes lighter and lighter. It is a sweet, vanilla fragrance, I detect no sign of leather, nor woodsiness, but it remains a remarkable fragrance, because every note is in harmony with the others, it is very well balanced, nothing sticks out screaming, it is a well rounded scent and although I don't think it will ever become something I use all the time I take pleasure in sniffing it when I am wearing it, and since I wear perfume for myself, I see Traversee du Bosphore as a lovely selfindulgence.

nonnative
nonnative

Can't put a thumb down to my beloved BEDOU (Bertrand Douchafour, the nose behind this scent). But this is not a masterpiece, apart from the evocative name. Too sweet perhaps. I don't know why I don't love it.

clover.chen
clover.chen

this was one of the first scents from l'artisan that i tried on my skin. i was quite drawn to the leathery smell backed up with a sweet but subtle vanilla. not the usual scents i would go for, but i definitely would like it in the winter, so it's quite seasonal and not an all year rounder. it does remind me of one of my other favorite, dior homme but sweeter and more oriental. it does remind me of istanbul and freshly made leather satchel. might consider it in the future when i want a winter scent.

daniela3
daniela3

I regard it as the best way to warm your winter! I did not want to add any review being it quite unuseful as so many interesting things have already been said and better expressed but I love Traversee too. Despite my complete ignorance about Bosphore or being also not so interested in Mr. B.D. travelling's experience, I enjoy wearing this fragrance all the same. I appreciate the good measure that the creator has shown, while rightly controlling so many ingredients (many among them rather strong) without losing his command. After reading the "pyramid" one could expect some probably "disgusting" fragrance because of too many spices or sugary and fruity ( I normally prefer leaving fruit on the table instead of taking around with me!) in the same liquid; but never mind what he chose: that's his job and responsability after all. I find that the result is remarkable! Good sillage, brilliant sensation and at the same time you get the impression that the fragrance keeps on whispering to you and it does it for along. It's an E. d. P. so with a consistent longevity. Again I regard it as the best way to warm my winter.....
(....and also that of those who come around me!)

icekat
icekat

I did not need to spend time with Traversee du Bosphore to know that this perfume is for me. It was a love from the first sniff. Where do I start? This perfume has so many different themes wonderfully put together. There is a lovely gourmand notes with delicious loukhom and honey. There is a romantic flower garden with dark iris and romantic rose. There is a fruit orchard. There is a sophisticated leather note, soft and smooth. There is a heat generated by warm saffron. All these notes are intertwined in the tapestry that Bertrand Duchaufour masterfully weaves to create his vision of the mysterious Traversee du Bosphore. And the result is a lavish, delicious and multifaceted perfume.

The composition is beautiful from the top to the base notes. I smell the sophisticated leather note right from the start. It has this gorgeous suede like quality, which is so luxurious. There is also a beautiful layer of ginger and warm saffron, which makes the composition smooth and sensual. The scent unveils beautifully on my skin when it finally reveals its gourmand heart with dusty loukhom note and powdery iris. I have tried both, Keiko Mecheri and Serge Lutens interpretations of loukhom but Traversee du Bosphore is different from them. It is definitely not as sugary sweet. The loukom interpretation here is extremely sophisticated. The supporting layers of leather and saffron keep the fragrance from going into sugar overload. It is more like driving pass loukhom shop and inhaling the aroma without actually eating any. The base notes are comforting and delicious with benzoin and vanilla but there is no strong sweetness. The sillage is medium but the lasting power is quite good.

Overall score is 9/10. I love wearing this scent. And it is one of those rare scents that not only satisfy my needs for complex and unusual compositions but it is also loved by my family. I get compliments when I wear it. I got a full bottle after the testing.

Migotka
Migotka

I have never been to the part of the world that inspired Duchaufour to create Traversee du Bosphore... I probably would not have guessed what idea stood behind the scent just from smelling the fragrance.

The scent is actually very very sweet and I get none of the top notes. Right from the start I can smell leather covered with a huge amount of rose and sugar and almond essence (the one used for baking cakes). After the initial sweet punch, it tones down and settles as a sweet mist around the body and even the leather disappears within 20 minutes. On a whole, it does make me think of KM Loukhoum, except it lacks its distinctiveness and turns out an average scent. I like it, but it does not really fulfill the promises it makes.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

Oriental, fruity (not berry like though), spicy notes composed around the leather. There was also some coconut and vanilla that do not appear listed above. The Turkish delight note in this creation takes a different twist from Loukhoum's and uncle Serge's syrupy confections; it's complicated, and well blended with all the other flavours, being rich but also sheer, as if the East meets the West in a passage,just like the name suggests,merging opulent eastern tradition with western perceptions on beauty.

The name of the perfume is of historical significance, and I happen to know it since it's traced back to my Greek heritage. Bosphorus is a Greek word meaning "passage of the cow" (βους = αγελάδα-cow, and πόρος = πέρασμα-passage), deriving from the legend of Io who was one of the many lovers of Zeus. When Hera, Zeus´s wife, suspected her husband being involved in a love affair with Io, Zeus transformed Io into a beautiful cow, and tried to send her away from Hera´s rage. Io, in the form of a cow, swam across the strait but Hera discovered her and she sent big flies after the cow, to bite and disturb her all the time, ending Io in the Ionian Sea (thus named Ionian sea).

Most of the time I love perfumes purely on their smell, defying bottles, and big names. This time, I will have this fragrance mainly because of the underlying story (but I also love its scent); it is of particular importance to me, and it is my sweetest little secret!

Attraversiamo!

Majesty
Majesty

As Suburbanites sais ''It's baklava''! Ok,maybe Baklava and Turkish delights in one! Starts with warm,creamy apple,I smell saffran and light leather too.I couldn't detect any rose but yes I detected sugar when it dried down. I really like it(I love baklava too!!!)but I would like to be a bit less sweeter than it is. It is not cloying,but still it can make you feel that you are the baklava!In this case I don't know if I want to smell like dessert!It is not bad at all,brings euphoria when it opens,high blood sugar when it dries down!Lasts well too!

bettybooplennon
bettybooplennon

@Arrogant_Cat: Beautiful review

Arrogant_Cat
Arrogant_Cat

Traversee du Bosphore...

So many thoughts on this scent. My first niche experience. I somehow stumbled into the Artisan shop in Covent Garden, London and knew very little about niche and this line as I normally wear gourmand, very sweet designer fragrances. The gorgeous saleslady greeted me with a huge smile, she was very skilled and happy to have a chat with me about perfumes, she let me take my time and sniff all the goodies they had. I explained to her that I liked gourmand, vanillaish, sweet scents. She showed me Vanille Absolument which I thought was OK and some others and then she introduced me to Traversee du Bosphore. A little bit different, she said as she sprayed it on my wrist.

Turkish delight? Sounded good.
Leather and tobacco? Not so sure about it, it was new to my nose.
I was definitely being pushed out of my comfort zone with this fragrance and it just felt so damn right!
This stuff is gorgeous!

Starts off very leathery with prominent tobacco, to my nose at least. As it softens it gets a bit sweeter, but it is not that sugar-overload I am usually used to, Traversee du Bosphore is not actually sweet to my nose at all. I do detect honey, I guess it is supposed to be the Turkish delight accord and I could swear that I smell almond as well, although it is not listed , but almond is very close to Turkish delight, right?

If I could make up a whole new olfactory group for just one single fragrance, it would be Traversee du Bosphore and I would classify it as an oriental - leather - gourmand, such an amazingly interesting and complex scent. It is like trip to an exotic land indeed.

Longevity is amazing, it lasts all day on my skin!
Sillage is not monstrous but pleasant and I think this perfume is actually thick enough to make a good nighttime scent, I find it extremely sensual with all it`s warm unisex qualities.
When I visited the shop I ended up buying Nuit de Tubereuse and I got a sample of Traversee du Bosphore which I enjoy wearing and sniffing every now and then.
When my sample is gone, and it is gone soon, I am going back to that fabulous Covent Garden shop to buy a big bottle so I can be a happy owner of this extravagant, exotic perfume which basically introduced me to the world of niche perfumery and got me fascinated by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Thank you ever so much.

Scentrist
Scentrist

It's Baklava! Everyone loves Baklava!

Both my wife and I tried this. As a fan of florals, she found this a bit too over-the-top fruity/honey. That same aspect made it interesting for me from top note to dry down. The combination of honey, sugar, apple and pomegranate smelled precisely as if someone had poured liquid Baklava over my skin, so the odd feeling of whether to simply smell or actually taste is a bit odd. It is somewhat eccentric yet gourmand. The rose and floral notes that I thought my wife would have liked were ones she really didn't appreciate but for the fruity/sweet opening. For me, that was the defining moment in this piece as if dried into the saffron/leather heart. By the time I reached rose, it had transformed nicely. Duchaufour created a very unique masterpiece.

Having said that, however, this isn't something I would look to for much more than a curiosity. While it was a very delicious scent, I couldn't think of one occasion on which I'd expect to wear it, so it definitely is an eccentricity; nonetheless, I could think of many worse ones. This is definitely one to be sampled if for nothing else than the sheer experience.

puddley
puddley

Wow! A real curiosity..
I was lucky to get a big bag of samples when I bought a Mure et Musc from L'artisan Parfumeur, this was among them.
At first application I got an almost unpleasant smell, a little germoline, a little 'industrial', I know that's an odd description but it really did smell peculiarly fuel/garage like.
However, after 10/15 minutes it develops into an extraordinarily lovely fragrance. I dislike very floral and rosy fragrances but in this one the rose is really subtle and the floral notes are so gentle. I think I can smell a parma violet but it's not listed as an ingredient. The sugary almond is definitely there.
I'm rather surprised at how much I love this. It's a floral fragrance for women who don't like florals. Superb and the right side of eccentric.

caralaite
caralaite

It opens like a Turkish apple tea - so it has something to do with my Istanbul memories after all.
On the paper, it smells like dry apple bits, on the skin - like I said - apple tea, warm and fragrant, with saffron notes. But it's not for long, later it goes through many phases of sweetness: honey, maybe Turkish sweets. I'd say this sweetness is quite nice, but nothing distinctive. Couldn't smell leather at all.
Must say, I like "Traversee's" opening best, and it's a pity.

Chandramukhi
Chandramukhi

I read a lot of different reviews, mentioning apples, loukhoum, and all sort of edible notes, from marzipan to fruits, including vanilla and almonds. I read about metallic notes, leather, syntethic smell, smooth, powdery, in the same time breezy, flowerish or . So my curiosity was bubbled like a baloon when I ordered this sample. And the testing was accordingly intrigant. I didn't understand anything at the beginning. And then...well, the name helps: Traversee du Bosphore (Bosphorus crossing). Of course! It smells like an old wooden boat on the sea, in the full heat of the sun of Turkey, while the passengers eat baklava.

greydove
greydove

One of the strangest perfumes I've smelled. What's funny, is that this was the first perfume I bought this past winter when I started getting back into perfume after many years. Its an odd choice being an expensive niche, and a weird one at that. I was attracted to this for the loukhoum note. The suede accord is unusual, but wearable; I see this as a good gateway leather fragrance. Worn in cold weather, its awesome, but its sort of nauseating in warmer months. Its powdery, soft aura reminds me a lot of L'Heure Bleue, except this is more L'Heure Rose.

Kchild
Kchild

This is a strange little perfume. On me it's a bit like the story of the Ugly Duckling. This starts out a lot like dust to me. At first I was thinking~??? How can anyone think this is soft and sweet?? This stuff is soooo dry I think it actaully just blew off of my skin!

Awhile later I was moving around (as you do ) and I kept getting wafts of this soft, sweetish, wait a minute.......is that rose? smell. It took me a minute to realize that it was Traversee. I was enchanted.....to say the least. And then I couldn't resist. For 3 days in a row which is ground breaking for me I wore this beauty, craved her. Then I bought her. Now I love her all the way through and spritz quite often compared to the others in my collection (for now of course).

This is a transformer. She starts out cloaked in a dry dusty veil. About 5 minutes in things start to change. I can smell the presence of suede quite prominently w/a bit of rose rising in the background. 5 min. later I start to smell the sweet beginning of a far off Turkish delight. Then she really starts to go there and you can start to pick apart the different delicacies(sp?) that create this rich dessert. Then she stops. Before you get to Louhkoum.....she mercifully stops.

You're left w/a soft, gorgeous veil of sweetish, rosey Turkish Delight. More of a suggestion really than an invasion. It wafts so beautifully for hours w/out creating a thick, sweet, noxious cloud around you. She rides the air rather than capturing and weighing it down.

This is a comfort scent for spring/summer. Light as the breeze and absolutely charming.

shoreshells
shoreshells

I really like this fragrance. I got a sample and I love the almond and fruit notes. There's a fresh note that I can't figure where it comes from, but it's lovely. I think this is one to save for to buy!

Babygia
Babygia

Absolutely charming,mousseline-"like" fragrance-i can smell very distinctively apple,few seconds later wonderful saffron notes,all this rounded with very light honey-pistachio fume....I don`t get any leathe notes-except they are such velvety soft,they "underline" the whole "composition".
Apple an honeyed saffron go along with all day i wear this wonderful,magic frag-for me is this a skinscent,but with very good longevity-amazing for such a light scent...
I love it !!!!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Starts out with a sharp, acrid, metallic note contrasted with a medley of sweet notes that include almonds, vanilla, and dark-toasted coconut. In fact, it’s like a marzipan-stuffed coconut macaroon in a metalworking shop. I don’t smell anything like the Turkish delight that’s supposed to be there, but I suppose I was expecting something bolder and more “oriental”, with a candied rose scent.

After 10 minutes or so the metallic notes fade, leaving a subtle, sweet, slightly musky fragrance dominated by marzipan, toasted almonds and vanilla. I really did not smell the watery note that others mention, nor did I smell much iris, leather, or saffron. I suspect that the odd top notes that I noticed were part of the saffron and/or leather that are mentioned in the perfumer’s notes, but they were not the full accord and vanished fairly quickly. Eventually the drydown leaves mostly a sweet light vanilla reminiscent of Havana Vanille, but not as transparent.

The scent lasts all day, with traces still lingering the morning after. Aside from the odd beginning, this is a nice, light, comfortable scent, but not special enough that I would go out of my way to obtain more than my sample.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I was curious to try this because I love Guerlain's Cuir Beluga, another fragrance humorously classed as a leather.

The top notes frightened me a bit, becuause it usually means a big 'fruit toot' is set to escape. But I was strangely drawn to it, it's very tart and playful. Now that I've worn it through completion, it is the opening that was most enjoyable.

The middle phase grew increasingly sweet on me. I dind't get dry leather, or any leather for that matter. Just juicy, heavy wetness. While there are subtle changes wafting in and out this was mostly linear on me. I got the tart fruit note in all phases, but it became less and less enjoyable as the overly saccharin basenotes kicked in. The almond nuance is very noticable, so I would check to see how you rated this note in the past before sampling this.

Overall this was an OK fragrance to me; not my genre but certainly not offensive. I was ready to move on at the four hour mark, but out of fidgetiness and not irritation. (I replaced this with one of my floral chypres)

Although L'Artisan Parfumeur TRAVERSEE DU BOSPHORE does not list any woody notes, it seems that the standard AP cedary base is here along with the dark, oily leather, the honey and the rose. The fruits are very light and fleeting, and I would never have guessed that this composition contains apple--but maybe that's because so many fragrances containing that note are sweet fruity florals closer to cider than perfume.

In any case, as one might expect, this is another smooth, likeable perfume from L'Artisan, a house which I personally find more noteworthy for its high-quality ingredients than for earthshattering revolutionary creations. TRAVERSEE DU BOSPHORE is a nice leather perfume with a fairly strong honey presence, which does seem new to me. The longevity is better than usual for this house...

levissima
levissima

Nothing spesial!!!!!
i live in istanbul and i was very exited about this fragrance... my friend even ordered a sample at luckyscent, but it turned out to be a waist of money... no apple, no leather, nothing gourmand about it, no honey or sugar at the end.... just vanilla!!!! Yves Rocher vanilla!!!!!

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

Yes I agree, the most dominant notes in the drydown are the honey and the suede leathery rose.. quite uncommon notes alltogether but beautifully matched..I even like the strange spicey apple note in the opening notes..and for me it comes really at the right time in that cold novemver rain...cozy and cuddly fragrance, very good

Catnip
Catnip

(I am grateful to Celina, who introduced me to Traversee du Bosphore.) I was not sure what to expect, given the somehow haphazard combination of notes: Would this be a fruity, tobacco, leather scent, or all of the above? Well, it is certainly not fruity. There are no fruit notes that I can detect, except (perhaps) for a slightly smoky apple in the beginning. If I sense any leather notes, they are probably a result of my imagination. Tobacco might have more of a presence, but only as a subtle, fleeting sensation.

The general impression is of a relatively quiet, even subdued fragrance from the beginning to its end, and this is not a bad thing here. It opens, to my nose, with the smell of bitter almonds and quickly turns into powdery gourmand sweetness. It won’t give anyone a toothache, though, unless you absolutely detest sweet notes.

Have you tried those Turkish delight treats (lokum), the kind that is filled with slightly bitter nuts? On me, Traversee smells exactly like the fine powdered sugar sprinkled on a box of these—a very good quality of lokum, I must say.

This is a cozy, comfort scent, which seems more suited for colder than hot summer days. It may not have powerful sillage, but unlike some other L’Artisan creations, it is extremely long lasting! In fact, it is stubbornly tenacious. If you like powdery scents or have appreciated the Keiko Mecheri’s Loukhoum series, but for whatever reason it was just not right for you, Traversee du Bosphore is worth a sniff.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Traversee du Bosphore fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Traversee du Bosphore, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Traversee du Bosphore by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Traversee du Bosphore by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.