Designers » L » Oriental Floral « Groups

Magie (La Collection Fragrances) Lancome for women

Magie (La Collection Fragrances) Lancome for women
dislike

Magie (La Collection Fragrances) Lancome for women Pictures

This fragrance became a part of the perfume water collection «La Collection Fragrances», which was launched to mark the 70th anniversary of Lancome’s perfume tradition. La collection fragrances were introduced in elegant, limpid bottles designed in the 1960es by George Delhomme, one of Lancome’s founders.

This sensual floral fragrance with amber was launched in 1950. The main notes are jasmine, violet, musk and amber. A magical night of a theater premier, a young, charming actress with roses in her hand just leaving the scene; a vase with a branch of jasmine is standing in the corner of her wardrobe, she is looking pensively at her mirror and then notices a small bouquet of violets on her desk. She is touched by a gentle token of affection sent by an anonymous admirer, she puts the bouquet near her heart and leaves with a gentle trace of musk and amber behind her. The nose behind this fragrance is Armand Petitjean.

Amber Musk Violet Jasmine

Intimate

Magie (La Collection Fragrances) Fragrance Reviews

Lancome Magie EdP. Wonderful scent perfect for fall/wintertime. Fresh, lots of Amber and Musk and on my skin a hint of oakmoss. Moore Chypre than Oriental if you ask me.

Lancome Magie EdP. Ljuvlig doft för hösten/vintern. Fräsch, rejäl dos Amber och Musk och på mig även en luftig not av Ekmossa. Mer Chypre än Oriental om du frågar mig..

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

These comments are for Magie Spray Mist:

Magie was created in 1950 (the year my parents were married). My bottle is vintage- Box says "No. 6171, Lancome Dist., Div of Cosmair Inc, Clark N.J. 07066." Since zip codes were used in US from 1963 on, my box must be mid 60's possibly through the 70's.

One spray of this baby is super potent to my nose. The nozzle is big and dispenses much more than current little plastic nozzles do. The scent is warm and powdery but, in an eerie kind of way, not a soft and cuddly sweet way. The top notes are likely dissipated.
I'm sure I must have smelled this enveloping an aunt or two in my childhood. For some reason I'm getting an image /feeling of being hugged and enveloped in a scented fur coat in the dead of winter.
This is classic perfumery style of the era, and probably full of stuff now banned by the IFRA, those devils.

Without the floral top notes, Magie seems pretty dark to me so I'm wondering how much darker is Magie Noire ?

calyx93
calyx93

This is based upon the La Collection reissue.

Quite musky - very much in the same vein as La Nuit by Rabanne, and almost a twin sister - definitely an animalic type of oriental, but nothing like Shalimar, Opium or Coco or even its younger, oriental/chyre spawn Magie Noire. This has none of the vanilla or spices of the others, but more of a fleshy, resinous timbre. It's very soft and tender and with an intimate sort of human body aroma - like the nape of a neck.

Henriette
Henriette

I have no idea about the original Magie, while I have loved and worn a lot the original Magie Noire ever since its launch.
Indeed Magie Noire bears resemblance to Magie in terms of being an oriental, classy, wonderful scent.
Period.
While Magie Noire was (I am talking about the original formulation) rich, deep, a bit loud, certainly intense, Magie is light, soft, discreet.
Both spectacular, both wonderful, both worth having, wearing, enjoying.
If you like oriental, spicy scents but are a bit intimidated by their being overwhelming, Magie is the choice.
If you love orientals but sometimes get tired with their being loud (I am thinking about Bal à Versailles, Opium, Cinnabar and the like) and do not want to give up orientals, Magie is the one.
I have a soft spot for orientals, I admit I love orientals even in summer, but too often I finish being worn by them. I find Magie is perfect, never too loud, never out of tune, never too much.
(All this being said let me add that I would be more than happy if the original Magie Noire were resurrected and if I could enjoy it the way it was instead of the pale shadow it can be found today).

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

Oh, lovingthealien, you are so mean! We like a lot of the same scents, so I am really wondering if you got a bad bottle? (The kerosene part especially makes me wonder). I recently got a 1/2 oz of quite vintage cologne and have become quite obsessed with it. It is lovely and haunting. Mine is very musky, it is deceptively simple and light. Fairly long lasting for a vintage cologne too. Yes, there is an hint of mustiness, that only adds to its charm. I have a bottle from La Collection on the way, and I want to try the vintage parfum version. A gallon or two of this scent might be enough for me to rest easy. Try it again, really!

glitterlust

I was able to get a bottle of Magie Mist to compare to the remake and it's definitely a winner.

The original is more openly floral and powdery and lacks that particular note that comes with the remake. Magie Mist also has an obviously musky/animalic base. It seems to wear softer than the remake too but is so much more refined and beautiful.

glitterlust

This is a soft and primarily dry aldehyde on me. There's slightly skank musk and amber which do make a for a sexy dry down.

In the heart and base I get a tinge of the same strange almost vetiverous note that a lot of classic (reformulations) seem to have on my skin. Arpege, Jolie Madame, Bandit all end up smelling a little of bug repellent... I'm not sure if it's an intentional note or just me but either way it ruins a lot of these fragrances for me.

Despite this, Magie is a subtle and soft intimate scent for dark nights.

I really enjoy the current formulation of Magie Noire by Lancome, so when I discovered that there was another fragrance that came before it, I ordered a sample almost straight away.

Magie is one of those classics that really need to be brought back. The scent is heavy, powerful and reeking of confidence. It's quite a powdery scent, but not necessarily clean. I find it more animalic and slightly earthy. Magie tends to be rather sensual too, especially towards the drydown.

This fragrance smells relatively dark and seductive on my skin. There's also a subtle note that resembles dirty fuel, that I must admit, intrigues me greatly. It has obvious unisex qualities, a fragrance that would wear just as well on a man as it does on a woman.

Magie reminds me of Chanel No.22, however it's much dirtier and a tad more masculine. The opening is bitter in some ways, and also heavily concentrated in terms of aldehydes and musk. As it settles, the amber accord is more apparent, bringing to light a hint of beauty and superiority.

Before the drydown, Magie is at its most animalistic stage with a thick muskiness combined with unsweetened amber. I should also add that the sillage at this point is rather soft and intimate. So this is in no way a loud and offensive blend.

Despite the fact that Magie doesn't contain a leather accord, I think many women who adore leather-based scents will love Magie. It has a similar rough 'biker-chick' feel to it which I personally love. I'm very much taken with the drydown, which was a beautiful and smooth ambery incense blend which suits a cold Winter's night perfectly. I highly recommend.

countrygirl
countrygirl

My husband said he fell in love with my perfume before he fell in love with me(1967)! Magie Noir was no substitute I found it too headachey. When it was phased out he presented me with several sample phials he had collected from Lancome sales staff. On me Magie was a warm snuggly fragrance that on cold winter nights made me feel wonderfully cosseted and loved.

Grottola
Grottola

Yummy. Magie is a tasty animalic fragrance, with what smells like scads of civet and castoreum. Amber and musk give the fragrance a fleshy warmth. There is a *slight* urinous smell that I'd also describe as "warm hair", but overall, Magie is an extremely sexual fragrance. The fleshy musk smells are exactly what I want in a musk fragrance - not so much stinky as they are sensual and comforting. It also lasts a very long time. I'd probably wear this when I plan on getting laid.

calliope07
calliope07

One of the great perfumes of all time. Magie Noir is a disappointment in comparison. Was my signature scent until it disappeared from the shelves. Good winter perfume, soft and heady.

Un Belle Parfum
Un Belle Parfum

Magie was originally released in 1950 and this wonderful reissue is a full-bodied amber floral with all the richness and beauty I would expect from the 50s era. At first there is a tart greeness that feels sharp and assertive, however this quickly mellows and Magie morphs into a rich, warm floral with a generous helping of jasmine and amber. There is a smooth, liquid sweetness to Magie which comes from the amber note and it warms beautifully on the skin, particularly in the cold weather.

There is a soft, powdery overtone to this fragrance which adds to its vintage feel. The official notes list violet and while I can’t say that I smell violets specifically, Magie does have that dusty, cosmetic feel that old world violets provide. Beyond this point Magie stays fairly constant, only becoming slightly more musky as it dries down.

Extremely powdery warm amber floral vintage scent. Lovely, but if you don't like powder, this is not your scent.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

I thought Magie had disappeared! Glad to see it's not. A wonderful gem of a perfume.

Sissi
Sissi

Magie Conjours a esoteric mystery Opens with the darkest
and the most animalistic note of amber pure and unsweetened, Walking though a dimly lidded cave on a
nocturnal moment threads of Calligraphic Arabic verses
of gold Dangles with an Ethereal glow, Elusive jasmine
grows in the Rock's crevice elegantly grows on the on
the bare walls with sinuous beauty with it's leafy vines. I detect Civet in it's purest form adds to the
Dark Exotica of this scent Wisp of incense smoke pierces
though the utter darkness of the cave following the smoke until you saw where the smoke is burning from
a beautiful incense burner etched in the shape of a
dragon burns with the note of dry sandalwood, as the
incense burns your transfixed by the smoke dancing
revealing our Inner thoughts.

Magie is a dark beauty delighting in sensual pleasure
a bit of danger with Civet and meditation with amber.

Lancome La Collection MAGIE opens rather intensely, reminding me somewhat of JOY. I'm pretty sure that the official note list is abridged: there's a lot more going on here than amber, musk, violet, and jasmine! Given the similarity to JOY, I was initially convinced that there must be civet in the mix. However, I ran my wrist under my resident civet detector and received no response (a positive reading is indicated when he licks his lips), thus refuting that hypothesis. Something in this composition is very deep and dark and strong, and unless I'm witnessing a case of alchemy, it's not violet, jasmine, amber, or musk...

The great news is that MAGIE dries down so beautifully that I can justify waiting through the opening in order to get to it: a thick golden layer of amber with floral notes as garnishes. This is a big-time, no-holds-barred perfume! Those who appreciate bold florientals will surely be taken in by MAGIE's spell!

magie
magie

I didn't like it all at first. Very musty, old smelling, but in about an hour it had dried down to jasmine and powdery violet and musk. Still not right for hot summer nights but might be OK in fall and winter.

Magie (La Collection Fragrances) by Lancome 3.73 out of 5 based on 93 ratings and 17 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Lancome Magie (La Collection Fragrances) fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Lancome Magie (La Collection Fragrances), you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Magie (La Collection Fragrances) by Lancome. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Magie (La Collection Fragrances) by Lancome represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.