Designers » L » Chypre Floral « Groups

Magie Noire Lancome for women
dislike

I have it: 626 I had it: 614 I want it: 372 My signature: 20

Magie Noire Lancome for women Videos
Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures Magie Noire Lancome for women Pictures

Magie Noire, means ‘black magic’ in French, is a classic fragrance from the house of Lancome, launched in 1978. Magie Noir has a unique composition; which doesn’t follow the classical top note, middle note and base note development. It resembles a figure eight; it opens and fully revelas its character while the direction of its development suddenly changes, it stars to move in reverse direction. in which the fully revealed fragrance curves into a surprising change, reverses direction, so that the it would go back to where it started. It is one of the most bewitching oriental fragrances. This exoctic bouquet starts with Bulgarian rose blackcurrant buds. Its heart the jasmine flame burns blended with ylang-ylang, amber and incense. The nose behind this fragrance is Gerard Goupy.

Cassis Cassia Raspberry Galbanum Hiacynth Bergamot Bulgarian Rose

Honey Tuberose Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Cedar Narcissus

Spices Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Civet Oakmoss Vetiver Myrrh Incense

Tete-A-Tete
L'Arte di Gucci
Diva

Magie Noire Fragrance Reviews

boruvka44

There is something disquiet, that discourages and fascinates at the same time.
The smell of forest decay - dry rotted tree trunks covered with dried moss.
Fall leaves, patchouli, aromatic herbs and roots, a piece of sandalwood with a drop of honey, tobacco and civet.
A walk through deep dry autumn woods, where silence reigns.

susiebashse.
susiebashse.

Oh how lovely, how bittersweet. Just got a vintage sample. I loved this scent in the mid eighties and introduced it to my sister. It became her signature scent. She passed away a year ago. Now I have a little bit of her back. Don't know how new formulation compares but this vintage juice is amazing... Sillage good, longevity exceptional. Memories of my young womanhood and my precious Morag Martha Seidel. Bittersweet indeed. unique.

RedIndianGirl
RedIndianGirl

This is a classic, timeless scent that evokes for me the images of the 80s -- my gorgeous Italian boyfriend, long nights dancing in hot smokey clubs, kisses in the alleyway and the sonic assault of electric guitars. I wore this almost exclusively in the 80s and for me this scent will always cling to that time. Intense, provocative and exotic, it was my go-to scent. I keep a bottle on my vanity to remind me of the girl I used to be.

oliseeger
oliseeger

Usually, all vintage formula are better, once they contain their primary components etc. This must be said about vintage Shalimar, for example (though I also like the new reformulated one too!) and a lot of others. But, for Magie Noire, I must say that the new, reformulated perfume, is just simply beautiful in all its way. Far better than the vintage one.
This might be because I’ve bought, a while ago, a 100ml bottle of the vintage juice (here down in Brazil it’s hard to find it and when we do find a bottle, cost can achieve very high proportions) and it smelled kind of odd, not that glamorous scent that I knew.
Bought a second bottle, splash version. This one smelled ok but still….something missing.
Last week, during a Paris trip, I’ve decided to buy the new version and….WOW! what is this?! It smells heavenly, mysterious and confident. This is a rare example of reformulated perfume that is better than the vintage juice. Worth it!!!!

hipchicagomom
hipchicagomom

My love affair with Magie began when I was 13 years old. I sometimes wonder what my mother had going on in her head to allow me out of the house wearing this. It mixed so well with my chemistry though, that it was my signature all through high school in the 90's. It's so heavy, and smoky, and dark, and deep....but it's just a part of who I am even though my personality is none of those things. I was wearing it when I met my husband, all throughout our time when we were dating, and of course on my wedding day, always with a light hand. One spray and I was good to go. I haven't worn it in a while, but am planning on buying a bottle before Lancome wipes it off the face of the planet.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

This reminds me of being a little girl playing outside in the wintertime and going to warm my hands under the dryer vent at the side of the house. Clean and hot and with a breath of its own.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

It reminds me of the feeling of a drizzly, mystic, Saturday morning, early hours, head bowed excitedly over an old chest and opening it. The feeling of mystery, suspense. Inside are many fabrics and textures. Old gossamer. Lace and velvet. Camisoles of silk. Gowns from ancient nights. Forgotten memories.

To me, it's not a dark scent in the typical meaning of the word.. it's bewitching, and in that sense, "dark" - for the enigmatic, the unusual, the beautiful, the distinct. It's so classic and warm but cleverly becomes at points cool as well - lending that Saturday morning vibe.

I love when a fragrance is timeless, classic, retro, and not afraid to be a little eccentric. It's a scent that makes me feel at home, and brings to mind the idea of the things which elude or evade us, that pique our curiosity. In all our lives are those chests tucked away filled with old wonders.

Magie Noire also, undoubtedly, evokes the evening. A magical, romantic night out. It demands elegance, gentility. Sophistication. Yet it's cheeky enough to suit even a wild child... I'd like to see it paired with pirate-red, and a leather jacket.

Lancôme always excels in this respect. Their fragrances are homage to other eras and times and sensibilities, which I respect. Next to Poeme, and Miracle, this is a charm.

It is funny that I sampled this at the same time I did Tom Ford's Velvet Orchid. To be fair, it does pale into a tolerable scent, but if it were under another flacon, in a different bottle, I think it would smell cheap, indistinct. It also goes kind of sour, like many of these lower end synthetic things do these days. But no matter how you battle Magie Noire, it's memorable and engages someone with that old world beauty and style. It's not your everyday scent (though it could be worn every day) - I like to think silent film stars may have enjoyed this..

The fact it is a '78 potion lends it the warmth and dappled sun feelings. I love that it evolved in the 70's. It makes sense. Slighty dusty, but lovely.

I think, however, fragrances like this, take a certain kind of person. It is a scent that needs time to settle. Once it does, you are emanating everything aforementioned..

Note: This has quite a smooth, smoky dry-down and aura after a few applications - so, you really only require the one spray, and lightly. Hoo-boy!

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

My sister just sent me a bottle of this today. Yes! It was the old formula with the helmet cap, After hearing about this scent for years and reading all the reviews here I couldn't wait to try it.

Unfortunately, the first 15-20 minutes of this smelled oddly reminiscent of the first 30 minutes of Femme Rochas. I don't see cumin or cardamon listed in the notes here but that's what it smelled like to me. Thankfully that smell was gone quickly and I was looking forward to what came next thinking I could easily bear 15 minutes of stink if the dry down was as beautiful as people say it is.

Sadly, while it did get better it never got good. This went from cooking spices to dusty thrift shop smell. The smell of old scents left on old clothing that has hung too long in the Goodwill Store. The scent you smell as you walk among those racks of clothing. Not something I ever want to smell like. As luck would have it the scent lasted all evening until I could get back home to scrub it off.

Unless you have smelled this and know you love it, don't waste your money or time looking for some vintage bottle. Find something new and beautiful and leave this horror in the past where it belongs.

Iris_it
Iris_it

Magie Noire is one of the most beautiful perfumes I ever smelled , one of the few ones which have cast a spell on me . Beautiful beyond words , it is the most sensual fragrance ever created . This potion is the quintessence of the woman , both in dark and luminous aspects .

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

The original in parfum concentration was superb.
It opened with a deep raspberry liquor/dark cocoa accord and reeled you in a spiral of dark woods, amber, spices and incense that was unmatched by any other at the time.

It had to be applied with... a Q-Tip, or it would be too potent for anyone in the room. But with careful application, on the right skin, Magie Noire was simply devilish and very aptly named.

There is still a slight shadow of its former glory in the opening of the new reformulated version... For about 10 minutes.
After that, it falls into the mediocre generic category and pathetically fails to impress.

But if you run into the vintage, while the EDT was pretty good, the parfum is the one you should be grabbing. It's like a cello concert played at night for you only by quartet of the most unearthly drop dead gorgeous musicians imaginable... Naked.

It's so knee buckling beautiful, seductive and penetrating it's almost inappropriate. ALMOST. ;)

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

The initial spritz of Magie Noire is a strong one with warm spices. Heavy in nature yet not overbearing. I am having a hard time finding the words to describe it other then strong, spicy and extremely pleasant. If your seeking something fruity or sweet stay away. Magie is none of those. She is a girl who is independent, who likes to be a lone wolf. She does not dress like the other girls nor does she have the inclination to do so. She is tired of all the copycat's of society who all try and imitate. She is her own woman, strong, sexy, rough yet gentle and she leaves a lasting impression on the opposite sex. Men love her and want to get closer wondering what that exotic sexy thing is drawing them in.

Magie Noir seems to have high silage and is a one or two spray fragrance under clothes. She can be overdone and knock out those around you - apply gently as class does not need many sprays. Her subtle spice will comfort you throughout most of the day.
Silage - 10
Lasting power approx. 5 hours

Scentmad
Scentmad

My ALL time favourite perfume. I have a rather shameful and excessive stash of MN (all vintage) including pure perfume oil (love) and sets of the body and bath (love). Not showing off I promise you, I just knew reformulation would devastate this sublime perfume so stocked up over the years – I could see the writing on the wall sadly. I have worn this since the 1980’s when I was teenager – I can’t believe I missed all the sexiness of this but given my youth I can only put it down to innocence on my part. It is a rock and roll of perfume, it’s passion in a bottle. It’s the epitome of feminine sensuality, sexuality, love and lust. I think when I was younger it wore me, I didn’t wear it…. Now I am (much) older I get it. It’s a travesty that it’s been beaten up into a completely different perfume. I love to wear this – makes me feel I can take on anything, it gives me confidence – who knew a perfume could do that! I treasure what I have and to be honest I probably have a MN addiction and cannot stop snaffling vintage bottles as and when they crop up.

louisa marie

I've been wearing my Magie Noire for 8 hours - when I smell my arm - it still smells exactly like when I first sprayed it on - bought directly from Lancome USA. I can still experience it's scent as I'm typing. Today's new fragrances do not last - my next go to scent is Chanel - eau de fraiche. This is why you don't see sales or specials on these timeless fragrances in dept stores - it's not necessary - they sell because of what they are. Magie Noire - in Baltimore MD has to be bought directly from Lancome (don't go to Ebay - most are fraudulent - by the time you waste figuring out lot numbers and whether it's authentic - you could have had the real thing and been enjoying it). These are my 2 favorite scents - Magie Noire is #1 -

louisa marie

I just received my bottle from Lancome - it smells exactly like the powder my mother gave to me in the 80's. She was given it as a gift and hated me. I loved it - I used the orange powder and could smell it all day until it was gone. I tried to buy it in spray one day in the late 80's - sadly I could not afford. This has NOT changed - I recognized it immediately - I smell it all day long - and I smell it in my bedroom the next day after leaving my clothes in my changing room - that lasting, alluring scent makes that me oh so happy. It loves my skin - which most scents don't. Those who don't like it sadly don't have the body chemistry that it makes it so enticing to others. Magnificent.

butfly23
butfly23

I have a half full bottle from the eighties. I never liked it as I found it overpowering, my nose turns away immediately. Preferred other eighties strong perfume.

omega_wdc
omega_wdc

Smells like someone burned the soup. Really makes me nauseous. I'll pass...

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

An Ode to Magic Noire

Magic Noire, my unrequited love. How could you tease me so mercilessly and then when I finally get to indulge in your fragrant embrace, shun me so despotically? I wanted so badly to make you my own, I can tell we were somehow made for each other but oh, Magic Noire...you would have nothing more to do with me...kinda like a bad lay...damn you Magic Noire you HEARTBREAKER!

Hey, I'm allowed to be a lil dramatic...I coveted this fragrance for YEARS and when I finally felt old enough to wear it, it would not give me the gift of compatibility with my body chemistry. On me, it smelled very smoky, erotic and predatorial but then, after about 25 minutes...I learned the names of what would be my 2 fragrance enemies...

Patchouli and vetiver.

For a few moments I enjoy the lush florals and enticing spicy notes but just when a smile begins to creak across my face....VETIVER and PATCHOULI! It happens off and on with such frequency that it simply sours the whole experience for me. Now, don't get me wrong...patchouli and vetiver are distinctive and have their own allure in the right combination and/or quantity. But, sadly, this fragrance and I were not meant to be, afterall. As much as I would wish it to not contain those ingredients, I realize that without them, Magic Noire would not be what it is. So, it is with a smirk that I know what has to be done.

Maybe some other lifetime, Magic Noire...adios.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

Beautiful, mysterious, smoky, ethereal, classy.... I wish I had had the opportunity to smell the original perfume.

I found this truly magical.

Serafit
Serafit

My mother had this, when I was a child... Love this scent from childhood ♥

samsara82
samsara82

Dear readers,

Im reviewing this perfume by memory and what I remember this perfume being very bewitching ,elegant and womanly, not girly, womanly with a enchanting rich aura to her, if I could imagine a woman with it be the character that Isabella Rossellini portrayed in the movie Death Becomes Her , very elegant, bewitching elegant female that just knows exactly what to say you in which ensnares the mind and bends you to her will !.

The fragrance scent was very intriguing since (atleast for me) I could not pin point what it had since was very mysterious but alluring you closer and become her.

Its a shame they discontinued this amazing fragrance so any you find are collectors items now, I hope to find one so I can have this captivating fragrance once more again, highly recommendable to try and I hope Lancôme brings it back someday in my lifetime if not well I always will have the memories of this feminine enigma.

Lovely wife
Lovely wife

This perfume reminds me of a woman I had an intimate encounter with - one of three in total but this one I shared willingly and imaginatively with my husband - and it was exquisite. I was thinking a light flowery fragrance would set the tone, but that would have been the aromatic equivalent of wearing My Little Pony briefs for the occasion.

This is deffo a woman's scent, not a girl's, and it lingered all night long - what a perfect choice, it said everything I wanted it to say about me: I am all woman, know what I want and I know how to get it, oh and I also know what my husband wants and have the confidence to deliver it. Every time I allow myself a sniff from the bottle I am transported back to the rented apartment in Amsterdam New Year's Eve, with an open fire, a Christmas Tree, and a four-poster bed made for three. A truly magic night.

It was there I earned the title 'lovely wife', because I am.

And if I get the urge to do it again, I know I only to wear that perfume and he will get the message (although he will no doubt ask me to say it out loud, and I may have to repeat myself a few times)

Magic,

mystica
mystica

I have the reformulated EDT.

I briefly smelled the original as well, but back then I was too young to appreciate it and instantly put off. I now can say that the original was way more richer, stronger and creamier.

After I met Opium, Youth Dew and Aromatics Elixir and got addicted to them, I said "now, I will like Magie Noire" and bought it blind hoping that the then "ghastly" today "heavenly" juice has not changed with the bottle. But alas, so I actually met Magie Noire in its reformulated glory.

It is still glorious and there is not much like it. Incredibly dark, smokey, dusty, dry, and most importantly a gothic fragrance. It deserves its name, it truly reminds me of black magic and the occult. Indeed the magic offered by Magie Noire is not necessarily black but it's certainly dark... I can say that's a moody fragrance. Divinely beautiful though.

I like the dusty effect so much, I feel like in an old cellar indeed. I like the wildness of civet, and the very perfect note on this earth called oakmoss...

I bought my bottle in 2009 and the juice smells transformed despite this musn't be the case in such a short time for a quality frag. It's still wearable but sort of scary, disturbing and twisted.

The dusty effect has faded and civet truly comes up. I still smell flowers but in a round way. It smells somehow dirty, fleshy, funeral flowers plus graveyard dirt... and I enjoy it indeed.

jjfornow
jjfornow

I had a sample of this and loved it, so I bought a bottle. I'm not sure if I became sensitized to an ingredient over time, but I started getting headaches when I wore it. I did not try it for a long time and then one day I thought I would give it another chance.

Again, initially I loved the scent, but before long a headache developed.

I have had this happen a few times with perfume and one of my goals with searching this site is to see if I can figure out what ingredient (s?) don't agree with me :).

Femme en Blanc
Femme en Blanc

At first, I didn't care for it as much. I thought it was too bitter to my nose, too animalistic. But after a few wears, I'm starting to understand its beauty. I get a lot of civet, oakmoss,and smoke. A LOT of smoke from this one. I don't sense any sweet though. Its sexy but in an acquired way. And its dark. Theres really nothing like it. Its not for everyone, and boy you need guts to pull this scent off well. This can also be a good masculine scent.
The name fits.

lollotyp
lollotyp

This is really magic, this perfume is perfect for a Wicca, and for a Warlock, but it's so lovely that i suggest it to every kind of flower...
10/10 to the vintage formula.
Expensive? I don't think so, 300$ for this rare and gorgeous frag are the right price.
;)

maio2012
maio2012

Definitely noir, definitely magic. Distinctive. Classy.
For women, not for girls.

Fonna2
Fonna2

Definitely agree it should be worn in the cooler weather.

It starts of with an almost sweet scent. Lasts for a while on that one note, then disappeared on my skin, just for a little while.
Then a green scent of the same intensity followed by smoke, dirt, incense, and a strong black tea smell, a bitter scent.
After 30 minutes the flowers start to bloom along with the return of that sweet scent.
I'm still wearing it, and will update later.

*One hour later:
After disappearing and reappearing, the scent, not me....lol
( how do they get a fragrance to do that anyway?) I did catch some billows of smoke of it as I walked aound. Not as bitter as before, it becomes a smokey sweet resinous incense and amber.
A man could wear this with no problem, but thank goodness we get to hide it from them.;)

I like it, and may someday love it.

nakedcity
nakedcity

Magie Noire, along with Fendi Donna, is one of the most beautiful chypres-oriental hybrids, an my favorite style of perfume. This in vintage form can do the talking for you if you let it. It requires a certain skin chemistry, the wrong one can turn it into a urine fest. I know some people are bothered by the raspberry top, in my humble opinion that note combined with the moss and civet is what sets this composition apart. The new version is respectable, considering it's been stripped of its soul as one smart reviewer put it. If you're insecure or didn't grow up in the 70's and 80's it'll scare you, but if you wear shoulder pads from time to time and don't give a hoot about what others are thinking when you pass by, by all means seek at least a mini of Magie Noire.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Floral and spicy woody with a bit of cyper freshness, somehow aristocratic oriental scent. Unbelievable composition... it's warm and fresh at the same time, and has strong projection and good longevity.

If you're looking for something timeless, you should try Magie Noire. It's fantastic perfume and deserves a buy, strong buy in my opinion.

I have read a rewiev of Fragrantica member, saying that all good perfumes are made before 2000. And yes, could be right. I would add, that the reason is probably too much new editions after 2000 .... it was all about "fast, fast,fast ...."economic growth", "quick money" on the one hand and "easy spending" on the other.
It's not so easy any more to convince the consumers, as we are all searching quality and price-value more and more.

And guess what, Magie Noire was lounched in 1978 and it's still on the top of the list of beautiful perfumes...despite strong competition on the perfume market
I think it belongs in the group of masterpieces!

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

I absolutely was in love with this in the past..I have not smelled the recent ones that may have been changed in formula..I don't want to smell them ever either, as I want Magie Noire to stay the same in my memories..It was phenomenal..I have so many wonderful memories attached to this scent..

meena65
meena65

Mysterious scent and I love it. My favorite perfume.

SolangeN
SolangeN

The reformulation isn't bothering me. I always thought the original's berry note was too sweet and it's gone now. There was also a "cat pee" problem which seems to have disappeared.

The new top is green, albeit much thinner. And there's a weak rose note that detracts from the composition.

But Magie Noire's payoff has always been its distinctive, mysterious mossy/incense drydown, and that's still there.

Continues to be one of the best fragrances on the market. If the reformulated Magie Noire carried a Lutens label it'd be declared a work of genius and selling off the niche shelves.

Wish Lancome would beef up the galbanum, lose the rose and reissue an EDP.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Magie Noire was never a top fragrance choice for me. Through the years, it has become a cult classic, so I decided to revisit it and purchased a vintage bottle. I've worn it in two seasons before I've written this review, so I can feel I am accurately assessing my thoughts.
Back when it was first released, I wasn't a huge fan of this or any of Lancome's perfumes. But with all of the accolades surrounding it, I decided to give it a go again to see what the hoopla is all about.
It's definitely a cooler weather perfume. Wearing it above 55 degrees is nauseating. I've discovered that is one of it's flaws and perhaps why some absolutely abhor it. The temperature outside (or inside) must be cool enough for this perfume to work properly. This is a very strange potion.
Its aroma wafts and wanes around you, circling its fumes in layers of clouds that hypnotize and entice and mesmerize. How do perfumes create such images? Some scents hit head-on with no looking back, some sit in a corner of room expectantly, hoping for attention, and others are classics that need no introduction because they are simply elegant members of a family. But Magie Noire swirls around, dances and sings, appears light and floral one moment then impacts hard and deep as a chypre floral that's just very complex. This is not a try it once to decide if you like it perfume. It changes with the seasons, your moods and the climate. It's been called a witch's brew and the moniker fits it well. Although there are many that wear this only a few can truly pull it off successfully. It's must be worn with an attitude, from the base of your soul , with determination. Heavy on spices and woods, burning with incense and myrhh, musky with patchouli and wrapped in a tight package with a civets tail, this might or might not be for you. It is a Seductress perfume, an Enchantress' fragrance, it will bewitch those around you if you are the Femme Fatale wearing it.
Certainly not an everyday perfume, and definitely not an office fragrance, Magie Noire is wonderful for an evening soiree or a tete-a-tete supper. This is a strong perfume to use on your pulse points and let the heat of your skin bring it to its fire,
Rita Hayworth, Sophia Loren, and Bridgette Bardot could all wear this perfume easily.
Radiates strongly if you're not careful and lasts for hours and hours.

lannyM
lannyM

I can't forget this. perfumes my parents but I love it though for me too sharp and makes me dizzy..

indigobjects
indigobjects

I miss the original so much!

goodcupoftea

it is difficult to describe how to smell Magie Noire - i use to have old 1st version and current, which is much weaker and plainer. The original version - was a TRUE MAGIE! or True Magic! It smelled like a witches stew - one imagine a witch with a boiling pot full of spices, roots and flowers...it is very dark and hot in the room and smell - ooo my God! delicious spicy dark and sexy! ALL MEN reacted on this parfum (together with me in it) violently interested and hormonal:-) They ALL complimented on this scent even the most boring and traditional men, who would love boring safe scents like lily of the valley - they were all crazy after this scent (and me in it:-)
Unique and increadible!

neckar
neckar

Uno de mis perfumes preferidos, siempre intento reponerlo antes de que se me acabe. Aunque se puede llevar en todo momento, su estela es ideal para ocasiones especiales y salidas nocturnas.

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

LOVE at first sniff!!! I recently got a sample of vintage EDT and I fell in love as soon as the scent hit my skin. And this is only the edt version! I seem to have an almost anti-perfume skin chemistry. A cologne strength will last around 15-20 minutes if that, and strong edt's last a maximum of 1 hour. Unfortunately this also means that I zip through the levels of scents super fast, getting to the base notes almost immediately. This might explain why I love orientals and some chypres so much - they have strong base notes and those are the ones that stick around for the duration of the scent on my skin. Long sillage on me would be short to medium on most other folks. Very unfortunate for me, because I love in return the scents that love my skin though they are few in number.

I don't know how to describe Magie Noire, especially since what I read in other reviews is so vastly different from my own (brief) experience. No airyness, or green, etc. It is easier to say what it is not than to say what it is. *SIGH*

Alas, the smell is now fading fast at hour two, but for an edt on me, that's at least twice as long as most. Oh, to be able to afford the perfum or (if I could find it) the EDP.

Soignee
Soignee

I had the original perfume, which was fresh, green, crisp, and sexy. I loved it.

I tried it recently and gagged. It was reformulated. It was horrible. I don't understand why these perfume companies can't leave a good thing alone. They've destroyed what was a masterpiece.

Moss, civet, cassia. I smell something like cinnamon, but I'm thinking that's from the cassia.
Despite all the heavy notes in here Magie Noire has an airy, clean quality to it from the galbanum. It lacks the aggressive spice of Youth Dew or Opium.
The middle stage of Magie Noire features all the above listed notes, but narcissus and hyacinth come to the forefront.
At drydown I mostly get some very tame civet, orris & myrrh.

woodlandwalk

The official intro/review for this perfume (above) is hilarious, sounds like someone trying to reverse-park for the first time!

- "the direction of its development suddenly changes, it stars to move in reverse direction. in which the fully revealed fragrance curves into a surprising change, reverses direction, so that the it would go back to where it started"

I feel dizzy!

I've just sniffed a new version of Magie Noire and yes, it has changed from the 80s version. This has an odd note (a floral note?) and much more civet, it smells a bit more dirty, but not in a good way, as the 80s version did. The 80s version was dry, yet warm, it didn't have this 'singed' quality and there was something richer in the base, maybe this has a synthetic amber, need a perfumer's trained nose on hand

I might seek the vintage..

goodcupoftea

Magie Noire is one of my the most loved scents. It smells like magic broth of herbs...like a witch (good one) boiling those herbs and roots over the fire - the smell is magical, dark, very aromatic and crazily unsual. ALL men reacted to this scent like crazy. This parfume like no other parfum (and i have a lot of them) ve got so many compliments from men - young and old...It is gorgeous scent BUT the formula was changed...The old Magie noire smells so much better and more aromatic then present one...sigh...But even so, it is still one of the most remarkable scents on the market and absolute classic!

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is one of those fragrances that defines the 1980's and has a very "PRESENT" Presense... if not slightly overbearing.

I bought a bottle of this during my heavier fragrance days, but have not revisited this in awhile. After wearing it, it hits a fragrance power similar to Fendi, the original CoCo by Chanel, and Paloma... all three were fragrances that I admired on other women, but never actually bought and wore for myself, because I found them to be a bit too strong for my personal body chemistry. Each of these has tremendous silage and could be very over powering if you do not use very sparingly.

If you are finding fragrance a bit too bold-- you may want to try Estee Lauder's Knowing and Youth Dew, both wear slightly lighter and sweeter than this Lancome fragrance. Eau du Soir is also in this same type of dark, rich fragrance family... but has a little bit of a softer and more refined smell to it.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Magie Noire, "Black Magic" indeed...very, very interesting perfume. I understand what is meant by "olfactory figure eight" now---this scent does indeed do an infinity figure as it progresses. It opens sharp---very sharp---almost cough-inducing, but not in an off-putting way. Intriguing, rather, with hits of green and moss and galbanum. Then all these other notes start popping up: spice-cassis-bergamot-more green...too much to tease out separately after a moment. Then, unexpectedly, a warm floral wave unfolds: rose-white flowers-more rose-ylang, undulating through the sharper first layer, softening and enriching it. Next, creamy woods and balms, a resiny sweetness, weaving its way into the whole scent tapestry. And finally, the initial green and spicy elements return in a more subtle fashion, adding their punctuation to the complex whole. Seamless, and unusual, and very fetching in a darkly seductive way. Did I refer to it as a tapestry? I should have said a web, woven by a very clever, knowing spider working with scented silk. Slinky, smart, and the undisputed mistress of a contradictory 'aloof come-hither'. Fascinating to watch it unfurl, and ends smoking hot with a subtle sweetness.

Noticeable, but not overt sillage, and the one downside is that I needed to apply heavily to get it to last. As I have only the EdT, I'd like to test the EdP for better saturation some time. A worthy addition to any perfume collection, especially if you favor contradictory scents, complex classics, and potion-craft in general...

I am reviewing the current version. This smells like oak moss, patchouli and civet, in approximately equal amounts. Sometimes I smell oak moss the most, other times the civet, other times the patchouli. It's as if each of these notes comes to the forfront, recedes in turn, and repeats the cycle. This is pretty much exactly what I was expecting from this fragrance, and although I like it quite a bit, I find the animalic notes a bit too strong. There is a rich vintage quality to this, and I can only imagine that the older version was especially deep and rich.

Mariana444
Mariana444

Too much basil on y oppinion. Heavy too. It reminds me of an Opera Diva...
I don't like that black magic at all.

Decodawn
Decodawn

A beautiful fragrance that I have adored for 30 years. Classic, Warm, sensual, mysterious, these are all of the words that describe Magie Noire. I prefer the older bottle version.

ageless
ageless

Since the very first days of my life I was exposed to the very best of perfumery world in form of my mom.
We shared a 100 ml bottle of Magie Noire with her since I was 17. Since then I fell in love with this charming, opulent and sexy perfume. It never felt neither heavy nor too strong, it was always a perfect fragrance for evening and night out.

Sheer perfection and sophistication! One of a kind, unmistakable beauty! Stays on for over 12 hours and fills the room leaving the trail wherever you go!

Now I can say that I have grown together with this perfume and used countless number of bottles over years. Thank you Magie Noire!

persefoni
persefoni

the simple glass rectangle is the new, the one with the plastic top and cap was the previous one, and the round glass bottle was the first :)

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

I would greatly appreciate knowing which is the new bottle ~ the simple glass rectangle, or the black plastic capped affair?

Any info on this is welcome, thanks!!

EDIT ~ Many thanks to Persefoni for the answer. :)

malikado
malikado

never liked this perfume
but suddenly after giving birth i couldent weare anything but it for some time !!!!

Besmertni
Besmertni

Iconic perfume Lancome, perhaps the most famous and most - beautiful!

amelie
amelie

Since it's been reformulated there's no longer the beauty in it, Magie Noir lost its magic, smells too loud, sharp, even a bit masculine to me. Rive Gauche is one of the few where the perfume reformulation did not ruined the beauty.

freddinos
freddinos

Just received my vintage bottle off ebay and it is all I remembered from the early 80s, when my mum had a mimiature and to my 5 year old nose Magie Noire was the most angelic, ethereal perfume I had ever smelled! Come to think of it, it really is an angelic perfume, but a dark angel with black wings is a more appropriate mental image to associate with it. On my skin it is oakmossy and spicy yet remains light and airy! Very pleased to own it

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

Magie Noire is the Venus de Milo of fragrance. An instantly recognizable beauty, but sadly incomplete. She is a solid marble torso, with no outstretched arm or beckoning finger to draw you in. There are no opening top notes. You behold her bare breasted beauty all at once. Will you accept the brazen invitation?

Heavy and opulent, it is difficult to wear Magie Noire without it wearing you. It will cling to you,steadfast, and like an ancient artifact refuse to change over time. Oak moss, pepper, powder. Full on.

I cannot handle this bold of a woman. I prefer a shy introduction and a quiet goodbye...

davitea
davitea

One of my all time favorites. Deep, complex, so well balanced, one can only wonder how it could be oriental and citrusy and flowery and everything in the same time.
I had it twice before and I am now curious about the refofmulation.
My husband found it very sexy; all man would notice it.
If I were Nose I would love to be the creator of this.
Perfect.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Someone call a priest!

Magie Noire is somewhere between a sultry floriental and a Satanic ritual. It smells evil and tantric, of smoke, fur, and sensual oblivion. There are top notes, green and spicy, perhaps to lure the good Christians into sin. But that's not what the perfume is about. This is a graven affair of leather, fur, and smut.

Up close, the civet and spices are decadent and shocking. This is a modern fur perfume! The sillage is that of daffodil and leather with an indescribable tension and furry texture. As it wafts by, it feels I am dragged along not only by my nose but by my heart. It is feminine, but only in the way Giger's giant bio-mechanical vaginas are.

This one is beyond occult. This is overt.

stormyla
stormyla

If there ever was a potion that could make men bewitched bothered and bewildered it is without a doubt the original formula of Magie Noir. That liquid Black Magic is the absolute elixir of seduction.

In 35 years I've never received a verbal compliment from a man regarding this fragrance. This strange brew seemed to cast a spell on the male species. The most well mannered men couldn't resist touching me and the really restrained ones crowded my personal space and covered me with hot breath.

This is not a scent to be worn to the office, out shopping or to church. It's magical powers should only be unleashed strictly for date night, whether it's your first date or if your date is also the grandfather of your grandchildren.

Magie Noire's captivating scent really does surround you like a black satin and velvet cape. This scent is meant to be worn by the enchantress in all of us while dressed in our sexiest black dress and lingerie.

Just don't make the mistake of asking your husband to hook your necklace or bracelet while dressed in your black slip and your Magie Noir. You'll both later be embarrassed that you failed to call and cancel your dinner reservation.

Both Amazon and Ebay still have decent selections of the vintage formulas. I personally only wear either the perfume or the perfume oil, both dabbers, no sprays. Just one or two drops of either will fill your room and you will smell it on your skin in the middle of the following day.

Please put this scent on at home and never apply it in the parking lot or on the premises of any place that will be serving food. The smell is repugnant to many people and could ruin their dinner. It needs time to dissipate and mellow.

I have a bottle of the new formula but haven't opened it. For anyone who's love life is getting a bit ho hum, I'd recommend an evening spent in your best black lingerie or sexiest outfit with your favorite wine and your beguiling Black Magic!

perfumelover2012
perfumelover2012

I was given a bottle of the original and its the most horrible thing I have ever smelt. Gave it away immediately to my aunt and she passed it on to friend so don't know where the bottle eventually ended up.Have not smelt the reformulation ,however, looking at the positive reviews I guess its true what they say. One mans meat is another mans poison.

iamvivian
iamvivian

There's something about this perfume that I like. I don't particularly love or hate it, but its a scent that is a classic. My mom used to use this back when I was in elementary school and ever since I associate this scent with my mother. It used to be her signature scent. Now that she stopped using it, she has passed it on to me. Although this perfume is nice, it isn't suitable for someone who's almost in her mid 20's. I just keep it for sentimental reasons.

jolieshirley
jolieshirley

Un parfum que j'ai connu sur la mère d'une amie quand j'étais ado, que je trouvais magnifique et que j'avais envie de porter quand je serai grande. Maintenant je suis grande et je l'adore.
C'est une fragrance originale, subtile et sophistiquée.
l'odeur est insaisissable, ni vraiment orientale, épicée ou fleurie, je la ressens comme minérale.
Le sillage est profond, somptueux et fascinant,
excellente tenue, on le sent encore le lendemain.

à mes yeux ce n'est pas un parfum de tous les jours, ni pour une très jeune fille. Il faut oser le porter. Un très beau parfum que j'aime depuis des années. Son nom lui convient parfaitement : à porter quand on veut être envoûtante...

Je dois préciser que j'ai la version avant reformulation, depuis j'ai l'impression qu'il s'est bien affadi, quel dommage, je vais économiser mon flacon

Kysyona
Kysyona

No, no, no, at least to the modern version of it! Having read some raving reviews about this classic, I ventured out to the loal drugstore with a well-composed perfume section and took a hopeful sniff - instantly regretting it. Sprayed it on to give it a second chance - and rued the day. I had actually never come by a revolting perfume before - some could be nice, some blah, some too alcohol-ey, but this is just nausea in a bottle: burnt chocolate and plastic - 2 main ingredients that lurk in that cocktail waiting for another fool like me to approach the counter in search of an "oldie. but goodie". I will NEVER even think about trying again unless someone will give me an authentic vintage to sample ( perhaps it is just the reformulation that sends me bowing over the porcelan friend! )

yvankraft
yvankraft

Do not be discouraged by the horrible voodoo bottle, the scent inside it is really beautiful, misterious, reminds me of Coco, featuring a baroque bouquet beside a mix of woods and resins with a sensual animalic whisper by the end. I have the vintage version and ignore the new one, it is said that this jewel has been reformulated. What a pity...(think of this sentence pronounced through Bette Davis lips), Magie Noire was like liquid gold and should never be touched to please more fragile noses, childish tastes or to be of less onerous production.

hope.nesmith
hope.nesmith

I got a small 30ml vintage bottle from eBay, since reviews of the reformulated scent are so "meh". Ugly bottle- but I like the scent! It is maybe not similar to, but still a bit reminiscent of my beloved Clinique Aromatics Elixir. Best of all, it lasts more than 5 nmintes on my skin.

Zenobia274
Zenobia274

One word...Bewitching.

woodlandwalk

Like many other reviewers I also wore this in the 80s. It's a bit like Opium toned wa-a-y down - it has a femme fatalish vibe, nice rose/chypre. also to my nose there's a lot of Jasmine and amber and it's lovely if you like mildly spicy perfumes.

babel
babel

My 'real first', only, only and forever - scent. A friend brought a bottle back for me from the fashion show it was introduced in 1978. Love at first sight (& sniff) - unfortunately for the friend, that was true only for the perfume. I have loved this perfume with intensity ever since! And because it was a guaranteed success of a gift, I received so many bottles in the 1980's that I had no idea there has been a reformulation and reissue. I still have enough bottles to carry me through, as it has been years since I stopped bathing in it... and gave other, lesser mortals.. errr, perfumes, a chance.

The description of the fragrance notes as a figure eight is the most succinct for this perfume. It also gives a poignant picture of the typical wearer (imho) - one enveloped within one's self. The eight is complete, may radiate but has no available receptors for outsiders. It is a perfume that attracts followers but the wearer has no need to cast or retract a net... Its a scent emanating fierce singleness. A quality that attracts only the very strong. -- But does not have a place once in a relationship...

-- Oh, yeah. "Sweet" is definitely NOT part if its description! More of a double axe labrys.

sally.west1
sally.west1

Magie Noir was first bought for me by a boyfriend who loved the scent - this was in 1980 and I was in my mid-twenties. I never liked it as I was wearing Lou Lou and Anais Anais and just found it too mature, too dark, too heavy and headache inducing! He loved it though and said it was the best thing he had ever smelled and was "sex in a bottle"! I wore it to please him and received a bottle every birthday and Christmas until we split up - the bottles were then thrown out! I have had a whiff at the new incarnation of Magie Noir and it is nothing like the original - still not to my taste however but not as cloying or heavy. I'm sure some girls could carry this off but its one of those fragrances that tends to "wear you" rather than the other way around!

Tuberrose
Tuberrose

I wore the original perfume for years and it was wonderful...sadly the new version is nothing like the original masterpiece and I don't wear it any more.

mrfive
mrfive

All of you that remember this as too much, or too anything are being misled by long gone conclusions. This is not the most elegant frag in terms of its design - and I'm not referring to the bottle, but that too has little design to appreciate, it is more about what's the most you can add together and still end up with an appealing formulation.
A couple of things seem to be too pressed for space at the beginning and that could be where the 'headache effect' some experience is arising. The original formula lasts all day on drydown. I wouldn't class it as very elegant, it is different to the other heavier, dryer scents of the 70s and 80s for women - but still of that ilk.
Magie Noire is the goth before goth style came to be embodied by the GenX-ers. But the real Magie Noire isn't in the stores; you gotta find her hang-outs. I'm talking about the original formulation here in this review.
She is the unusual woman who gets overlooked for the more popular, easily comprehended and categorised people. But get to know her and it's a trip. You will wonder how you'll go back to before you met.

lol @ Matusha, I think you took the 'Black Magic' concept of the Magie Noire name a little too literally ;)

Soie
Soie

Had this about 10 years ago. Going by the name Magie Noire, I was expecting it to be a dark, smooth, deeply spicy oriental.

As it actually turned out, the fragrance was unexpectedly floral, a bit green, and not all that spicy; but it was shockingly animalic in aroma.

Too bad I tossed it in the trash; I should have kept it, as my fragrance preferences have changed many times over the years.

bkblan
bkblan

I loved the smell of this on other people, I bought some and had to give it away. I still wish that it smelled on me like it does on others. Actually, I think I bought it twice with the same hope. It smells horrible on me and gives me a headache. :(

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

This used to be one classy, fantastic, dark and sultry perfume but today's version is nowhere near its past glory. Watered down, inoffensive and anonymous. Too bad.

cronai
cronai

This used to be my favorite perfume long, long ago. I have never come across it as of late, but I miss it, and I think I could fall head over heels in love with it again.

sinem67
sinem67

which perfume is the closest one to Magie Noire (old version)? I want to buy a perfume which reminds me Magie Noire (old version)

mzfiguer

@boruvka44, the animalic element some people get from Boudoir comes from aldehydes and, well, I did not know about Fracas. The Magie Noire I was bidding on in eBay was vintage, not with the reformulation, so I retracted my bid. If anything, I could get a sample of the new reformulation and evaluate it for itself and not in comparison to the old one with the civet note.

Matusha
Matusha

Deep, dark and mysterious is this a luscious chypre. Yes, its name is appropriate. Black Magic. This can be a little scary, especially to hoodoo practitioners. I had the chance to experiment with it in 1980 after it was available in our area.

The oakmoss is so thick, you can almost feel it. Galbanum is big and heavy as well. Then the heart notes peek through, seductively. Honey and spices(cinnamon and cardamon?) summon rich florals. The deep mosses and woods transforms one into a dark lady that means business. Sort of like the Wicked Queen in Snow White.

Be careful with this formula. You emotions get turbulent and you dont really have to do or say anything to get your way. Kids unruly, give a spray. Boss is too demanding? Try another. I hope I dont seem overly dramatic. Just be careful with the trigger, more than one spray will blow your cover.

I wore it and secretly discovered my first husband cheating. This became my luxurious revenge potion. I wore it to my divorce court and won a big settlement. 'Nuff said.

JasmineLilac
JasmineLilac

I had this a long time ago. Heachache-city: that's all I can say.

boruvka44

Mzfiguer > you don`t have to worry, there is barely any animalic note in MN (definitely not as much as in your favorite Boudoir or Fracas:) but even if there was, you can "read about civet" at the notes icon. Like most animal perfume ingredients (musk, amber) also "this scent is nowadays mainly synthetic" .)

mzfiguer

Pardon my ignorance but I was reading the meaning of chypre and saw that civet was an animalic note. When I clicked on the picture of the civet, I went "Nooooo!" This one should stay in history and not brought back for the sake of the environment. They should create more magical fragrances that are cruelty-free. Magie Noire, not for me! Look at the civet's little face!

I want to smell like a sexy flower or plant or spice, not an animal!

I felt foolish. I went to eBay and retracted the bid immediately.

msrwt68
msrwt68

The most sensual, the most exotic, the most sexy , the most anything a woman can wear befor a date, for only one reason, just to turn her man's mind on, it is the only perfume i still remember the day the place i first smell it even after 21 years

Migalex
Migalex

Great perfume. One of the darkest perfumes I konw, not only in the name. And, by the way, the name is lovely. Smells a lot of civet. The current reformulation is stronger and sharper than the original. Very similar to Paloma Picasso, La Perla and Diva, mostly in the drydown.

enzyme1
enzyme1

the modern EDT just isn't up to standard unfortunately. This is definitely a scent with a lot of potential but needs a reboot.

judyk
judyk

Just received my vintage mini bottle (7.5ml EDT) of Magie Noire and I couldn't resist having a little dab. Oooooh, Heaven! I have nothing more profound to add; I just had to share with people who would understand. :)

irina.georgette
irina.georgette

My number one perfume. I hate the new version though. I still keep a bottle of the old one and only use it for special days.

krmarich
krmarich

I has luck enough to find a vintage bottle on e-bay for a reasonable price. I love the Darth Vader helmet on the cap! It indicates its dark, heavy nature.

This was my mother's signature in the late 1970s. She picked up a bottle at the local mall one October. She would give a spray at night and go to dinner. The chilly wind would be blowing, carrying it mysteriously.

I am amazed at the rich heaviness of it. Lancome became the symbol of beauty and sophistication for me with this dark beauty. I believe it insprired all of those big heavy dark chypres to follow in the 1980s-La Nuit, Paloma Picasso, Perfum de Peau and finally Knowing. Magie Noir did it best, IMHO. I easily list MN right up there with Mitsouko, YSL Y, Halston and Coty Chypre as the best examples of all time.

It opens with heady galbanum and cassis. The oakmoss veils the compostion immediatly, gently drawing back its dusty viel to reveal the rich heady bouquet of white flowers, wrapped in honey-rose, jasmine, lily of the valley and tuberose. There is a good deal of civet tossed in. She is sexy, confident and mature. It definitely works best at night.

Magie Noir defines October for me. Its witchy mysterious character is chilly full moon with diaphanous clouds passing overhead. Its not an ugly green hags scent. Its a sexy temptress in black hose, pearls, red Lancome lipstick and veiled hat, waiting for the man she is in love with. He will be unable to resist her power. That is Magie Noir.

I tried the vintage version of this fragrance. The most noticeable notes are the tuberose note, the honey note and the vetiver note. It smells very honeyed and the vetiver note is too strong, so I almost had a headache after trying it. So it's not my cup of tea and its notes actually are not my favorite. All I can say that the lasting power is really awesome and this fragrance seems to me more suitable for the evening.

I tried also the nowadays version of this fragrance. I would say that it smells incense more. It's strange, but this version seems to me more wearable. But I can't say that I like it, too.

akats

I decided and gave my bottle (new version) to a friend. The reason was that I loved the oringinal so much, that I could not bear to have this. I want to remember it as it was. It still leaves in my memory the dark magic it had... So I thought that if I compromise with this version for long, I would forget the old divine smell.

gatsby
gatsby

Legend!!! There are few perfumes that you never ever can t confuse or meet in other thousand of bottles. One of them is Magie Noire. Amazing and still young and beautiful after decades.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

This fragrance turned out to be so discrete that it was almost impossible to discern; it had a nice oriental touch, but it seemed somehow lost and disoriented, lacking direction or true form. I expect that the classic original version would have been quite interesting but the current version is lack-luster and a disappointment.

papergurl
papergurl

This was my signature in the 80's and I was young to be wearing it. I recently uncovered a leather jacket and a wool one that were still scented with this. When I opened the box that honeyed-mossey-patchouli still lingered. It always amazes me how fabrics/leather can hold those precious scents of days gone by. I have an orginal purse spray that still has the "juiciness", the warm lushness that is Magie Noire. Just an amazing and delicious potion. So I had purchased it a few years back in the simple bottle and for the past three winters I pulled it out, gave a spray and "almost" smelled the magic. Sigh. No, it the newer formulation that is only an echo, an apparition of what was. The teeth are gone,the civet-honey sexiness. The statement is now a paraphrase. The scents of the 80's, you know them and they were epic. I look at the color block trend now and remember the magenta blouse with military buttons, the black turned up collared leather jacket, snakeskin vinyl gloves, big hair, Magie Noire. Spray, walk through the mirror, Alice, off to see any number of concerts from The Pretenders and Elvis Costello to Yes and Journey. You could go to the thrift store to get your vintage fix and you could smell Magie Noire and Obsession on clothes that other girls had tried on...these gems lingered and mingled with the musty-woody thrift store smells. I can't wear this new incarnation. If I need my patchouli fix I turn to Ange ou Demon, Midnight Poison or D&G La Roue De La Fortune. I wonder if the noses were enamoured of or inspired by Magie Noire. Mystical patchouli can cast quite a spell, go figure.

Peachply
Peachply

LOVE....a bit soapy on me but I just ignore that because the rest just makes me feel magical.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

"Magie Noire" is a bit daunting to review, most of us know it. It's the notorious sorceress among Orientals. Love or hate: indifference is in my opinion not possible with this scent.

From the opening notes of heavy rose and jasmine we move quickly to a smokey amber with a faint but stubborn high note of bergamot in the mix. They say this perfume makes a full circle in its scent evolvement, true! I can clearly tell that this scent holds onto its notes and doesn't let them go! Lets call it Magic: "Magie Noire" - (Black Magic) if you must, but unusual for sure!

This one is definitely more suitable for evening wear. And you have to be in the mood for it. Its heavy, lingering florals with smokey amber are heady and might be too heavy for some Oriental lovers. (Headaches are possible, try a sample first!)
But if this is your thing, boy oh boy, will this dark beauty stay with you. Literally! The longevity is amazing.
A classic that will always be recognizable. Recommended for women that like to make a statement, and aren't afraid of heavy, dark and lasting "Magic".

Beatriz2222
Beatriz2222

I just gonna say that this is: SOOOO SEXUAL AND MAGICAL PERFUME !!!!!! If you want to hypnotise men this is what you need. This is my signature perfume without any doubt, I just love it ;)

exciter76
exciter76

I am not above revising my reviews. I wrote this about three years ago, and though my opinions about this fragrance have not changed much I do not like writing negative reviews. Let me rephrase that, I do not like writing negative reviews without personal justification. My fear is that someone will read it, take it to heart, and miss out on their potential signature fragrance. To this I say, "my bad."

I am not a fan of chypres. Plain and simple. I'm certainly intrigued by them and I have some in my personal collection but they are fragrances that often perplex me. Sometimes they even intimidate me. My chypres are the ones I grab most often, just to simply sniff and admire. I don't wear them often. They frighten me a bit in their complexity.

This is a classic chypre and I would recommend it to anyone who has a chypre obsession. There is a classic 1980s velvet feel to this one, like a vintage thrift store gem you find that somehow everyone else has managed to look over. I'm one of those who saw it and couldn't appreciate it for what it was.

I loved it when my mom would spritz this on me. I was six or seven and it was one of my mom's favorites. It reminded me of the plastic scent of Malibu Barbie's blond locks. Weird, I know. I got a little older and I asked my mom to please stop wearing it. It made me nauseous so she did. I think a major reason why it did and why I still cannot handle the smell of it now has to do with the heavy-handed manner in which my mom and my aunt wore it. It was just too much, like everything else in the 1980s.

Like most chypres MN is very strong. I don't know about the composition of it now but the 1980s juice was strong. It is definitely a spritz-the-air-then-walk-through fragrance. If your skin is wet with MN then you've applied too much. I can appreciate its boldness and its complexity but I still liken it to a Godiva chocolate-covered lobster tail in a caviar sauce--too much of a good thing.
___________________________________________________
(from 4/27/09) My mother and my aunt used to practically marinade in this fragrance. Personally, I find it repulsive. I'm so glad they found other fragrances to love. Besides the overpowering scent and the abuse of it by my mother and my aunt, I think there is simply too much going on in this fragrance. I read in an article that sometimes great notes do not equate to great fragrances; that is, rich dark chocolate and caviar are exquisite on their own but to mix them together would be disgusting. To me this fragrance is a lobster dinner covered in creme brulee and mixed with truffles.

yloenog
yloenog

Usually I don't like perfumes like these, but Magie Noir has a special place, because it used to be my mom's signature scent for many years (and judging by some comments below i'm not the only one :) ). Anyway, I remember how she used to spray it before her nights out and years later, after saving money from my first job, I gave it to her as a Christmas present.
She doesn't like this scent anymore and prefers something lighter, but this perfume will always remind me of my childhood :)

Sorcerer1001

This is what happens when chanel's coco and elizabeth taylor's passion have a lovechild ^_^

maruge62
maruge62

I love this scent! it´s a classic. It´s quite strong, for me, is a perfume to be used in winter season.

romrom
romrom

my mother had this for many years,to me this scent is too strong and I dont think that I would ever buy it for myself, but everytime a go to the department store, I allways smell it because it makes me think of my mother and how much I miss her.

drummagick
drummagick

Just got a vintage mini-bottle off Ebay.

What a gorgeous, dark and lush perfume! On me, it's all dark spicy berries and base, just a little floral.
Very warm, no green at all.

I can remember smelling it when I was in my early 20s when it was first released and not liking it at all. I think it's beautiful now. I guess I've grown into it.

eta: I was just at Macy's looking for a summery perfume and saw a tester for the reformulated Magie Noire. Sprayed a bit on the back of my hand and...flat, strident and headache-inducing. Ugh.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I had to purchasee this, being the avid perlfumanista that I am, lol, It's not something I'm likely to wear, but any srs collector really should have this, it's quite a brilliant, very interesting, beautiful but kind of erie perfume. IT reminds me of a beautiful woman, who's maybe a little bit older, that has lived/ experienced but, has fealt the pain and joys of love and loss, someone perhaps wiser beyond her years... like I said, very interesting perfume :)

I have the large botle and a small one, I'd like to keep the small... possibly swap the large

--- i often like to take perfumes i have but dont use, and try to layer them on others ..... just sprayed victoria's secret 'noir' on and wow, it softens this nicely, yet the scent is so clear, almost fresh o.0 .. very interesting.. very nice!!

-update ... I just purchased Vivienne Westwood's 'Anglomania' ... which smells of a young geisha (borrowed that from another commenter) .. it's very girly soft but luciously spicey... It's in my top 10 favorites ... now... I sprayed the tiniest bit of Magie noire , one spray and kind of streched it to both wrists and kneck area... then sprayed a few squirts of my anglomania.... and wowzerz, it's absolutely fabulous... and it makes the anglomania last longer.. the spices mix perfectly.. it basically smells of anglomania soft spicey very girly... but with a little more depth.. more dense..thick

ward.w.3ood
ward.w.3ood

wooooow perfume

Henriette
Henriette

I have loved the original one when it came out in 1978. I remember going back to the perfumer's the following day to buy a second bottle. I have used and loved it without getting tired. It was heavy but it was heavy in the right way. The new version is so different that makes me want to have never tried it. You might like and appreciate the reformulation but if you have happy memories with the old one, keep them and do not consider this new version. The original had a sumptuous opening which is totally lost in the new; the old one developed and developed hour after hour, changing every minute and turning into a soft melt with your skin; this new becomes soapy and insignificant and lasts nothing while the old one remained on your skin for days.

Sorcerer1001

Just got my sample of this, the new formulation, and its amazing. I understand maybe it isnt what it used to be in the past (which i have not smelled) but this scent is one of the most unique ive tried yet so far and i plan on buying a bottle/pallette of them. It smells like your clothes right out of the dryer with a nice light but noticeable musky spice. Again maybe its not the same but i would hate if anyone missed out on this because of the reviews about reformulation makin them think its no longer worthwhile

akats

The perfum is on the market now, has little to do with that smell of 70's. The opening is light as a good body lotion and not crispy and spicy as it used to be. It has not the same power and intense as it had. Heart and base notes seem to be the same but yet I'm not sure. I regognise the old smell only after 5 hours on my skin, when it is faded. I asked the saleswoman why is this change, and she told me that many perfums had to change some of their ingredients as these are now forbidden from the EU. I still like it though, so I bought it again after lots of years.

patriciaenola
patriciaenola

@ JB 78

<<>>

Not much more to say JB, what a lovely review I think it is a beautiful perfume and I wore it strangely to my Husband's funeral - I was bitter because of the way my stepsons had treated their father - I wanted to hide and simply dying, in order to follow him - was a considered option. A bleak and bitter duty prevailed - which is no longer present - but I use it now for watching "True Blood" and Twilight Zone and reading Anne Rice's books late in the evening - my Kindle Device has a Lamp attached.

jtd
jtd

From reading about the evolution of Magie Noire from 1978 until 2011, I think that it has always been a grab-bag of a perfume. Early versions sound like they emphasized different facets than this most recent one. It sounds like they used to bridge the dark floral chypre to the spicy oriental via some old-school animalics.

While I like it, I’d have to categorize the current version as a tight-assed woody floral. Not a lot of amber, not a lot of moss. Civet? Castoreum? Nowhere to be found. But you know, some days a tight-assed floral is just the right thing. And as many before me here have noted and per my own equation that men’s fragrance = (women’s fragrance – the interesting parts ) x 0.75, Magie Noire is an ideal men’s fragrance.

ION
ION

It's a good thing perfumes like "Magie Noire" are still around.
The rather silly bottle with the black plastic top we all know, has recently given its place to a more generic, geometric and kind of classic one (which is fine but not brilliant) while the potion inside is magical as ever!
"Magie Noire" in a way reminds me of "Ysatis", a marvellous inviting composition which becomes even more attractive with time, a perfume full of personality and character which modern fragrances, Just Don't Have. :(
If you want to be unforgettable (and who doesn't!), this is a fragrance that will do the job, and it will do the job with ease. It doesn't smell old and if you do a blind test you'll find out how nicely people react to it, it is a revelation indeed!

"Magie Noire" is among the finest perfumes ever created, God knows to how many love affairs e.t.c. this ingenious composition has been the olfactory soundtrack of (forgive my English if that's too acrobatic languagewise:)).
So, go for it without hesitation, Lancome is the proud house of at least two ingenious perfumes still in the market.
Last but not least, my absolute congratulations to the nose behind it!

Two notes: 1.While a bit on the unisex side by today's standards, if you smell carefully, you WILL hear the undeniable calling of woman!
2. Seasonwise, this is the time to wear it. Its bouquet doesn't quite fancy summertime.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is softer in the beginning, more soapy, but the base notes seem to be the entire fragrance on me. On my skin it is quite harsh, a lot of spices and civet,then oakmoss and patchouli. I unfortunately can smell no flowers, excepting what I expect is rose softening the opening. It was very unpleasant. I tried this because it is well loved, but I guess it is not for me. It does however have good sillage and the staying power was excellent.

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

When i was very young, maybe around 10 or so, my aunt gave me a bottle of this out of her closet...she didn't want it anymore. I thought it was so cool to have such a neat bottle of perfume all to myself and proudly displayed on my dresser, not to mention wore it to school. I cannot imagine what my teacher must have thought...this 10 year kid dripping with Magie Noir every day. sheesh...

saracen2
saracen2

This was my boss's signature scent in the 80's. A scarey woman, when she came into the office by god you worked! Perfect frag for her. We all obviously got the scent in the dry-down phase, as we never saw her re-applying it. Guess she didn't need to. If she had an early finish, she left her scent long after she left- as a reminder to carry on working and not mess around. All I can remember is the intense smokiness of the base. I've not eaten smoked fish since......

knm812
knm812

I was pleasantly surprised by Magie Noire. It is quite different from the other perfumes I own, and for that I love it. I've heard and read many complaints about the reformulation. I have nothing to contribute to that discussion as I have only tried the new version (the EDT); the one with the unremarkable glass bottle that belies the fragrance inside.

Now, I've heard some people disdain this scent for being a bit too "old lady". Not even a little. Not at all. I'm 20 and I find this perfume lovely. It is elegant. It calls to mind a woman with a certain poise and purpose. Yes, it opens with a bit of sharpness, but it's not at all unpleasant. It's a welcome respite from the flowery, sweet perfumes that all smell alike and are easily forgotten. Magie Noire has character and depth. It starts out sharp but becomes warm and spicy - quite enchanting really.

I love this perfume in the winter and the spring but I positively adore it in autumn. Before I go to sleep, I put some on and open the window. The smell of Magie Noire mingled with the crisp autumn air is absolute perfection.

If you feel lulled to sleep by the popular mainstream fragrances...give Magie Noire a try.

girasolina
girasolina

Mi sono aggiudicata questo profumo che mi ricorda l'infanzia ad un prezzo meravigliosamente conveniente. sono felice perchè me lo gusto pian piano e lo trovo armonioso nei suoi ingredienti e tanto femminile ma con carattere!!

Cmanier
Cmanier

wow does this fragrance bring back memories... i wore this during high school and college in the 80s.. i remember it being, oriental,spicy, woody and heavy . but i loved it along with missoni back in the mid 80s

lady69
lady69

I've had it 20 yeasr ago, and still cannot use. only 1/2 bottle. Too havy, absolutely not sexi, absolutely NOTING for me.
This is, in my opinion, a very BAD example of aldehydic perfume.

Julie une femme
Julie une femme

This is a beloved perfume by many, so I was eager to try it. After the drydown the scent I am left with is pure animal. Many women have written about how the men in their life can't resist this. For me, however, the animal note is just too much. I can't really find the chypre in this, nothing mossy to my nose. I can't stand it on me, but I respect those who love it. The sillage is amazing. It will stay with you, like a lover who won't let you out of bed, I suppose!

miki1968
miki1968

i had the first one and i loved it...now i'll refound the old version and next week i'll have it... cannot wait i so glad to got it...wow...it's simply gorgeous so warm so femminine and elegant...

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Now the bottle is redesign, not sure about the formula. But for me, Magie Noire is rather masculine. Drydown is kinda woody and smooth, unlike the opening which is very sharp. Like it!

medha
medha

I wish it would suit me but it doesn't. Maybe because it has been reformulated, maybe it's just not right for me. I adored this when I was a teenager. A friend of my mother wore this and the smell of Magie Noire was still there in the house when she already left. It was possible to determine that she had been in the house after she left hours ago. For me it opened the world of fragrances and let me know how a signature scent works on a person.

holliedolly2002
holliedolly2002

I love this one of my all time favorites. My Mum used to wear this when I was growing up so it brings back many happy childhood memories. Its such a classy fragrance and always prompts compliments whenever I wear it. Excellent staying power a beautiful frangrance.

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

I love this fragrance. I think it is beautiful and unique. It is really enchanting, and I received loads of compliments on it.

astrofluff
astrofluff

My Mom used to use this when she would dress up and go to fancy dinner parties when I was a child. My Mom passed away this year, but I still remember hugging her goodbye when she left for her nights out on the town with my Dad. It's amazing how different scents have the ability to evoke such strong memories.

hoddska
hoddska

I was a dark spirited teen and I wore Magie Noir..Halston..Opium...but MN was "my"scent.I remember one night the bottle tipped and drenched the wooden floorboards of my bedroom so I quickly tossed my leather jacket into the puddle to soak up as much as I could. The jacket(and the floor too) held the scent a long time. I never replaced the bottle which had been a gift from an admirer...
so many memories tied to these scents

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

What a ghastly perfume. I knew the earlier formulation of this but couldn't afford it although I loved it then. I have recently tested from a bottle of the new formulationa and couldn't rub it off fast enough! What happened??? I remember it being warm and seductive but this newer version shrieked at me like a fishwife - harsh and bitter. My husband gasped when he sniffed it. It casts a spell all right - another sniff and he would have been on the floor. Sorry to those who love it, a huge NO from me.

Katrusya31
Katrusya31

charming, magical aromat. I love it.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

This smelled horrible on me! Like something burnt beyond recognition in the bottom of a cooking pan, sour, charred, and a heavy note of leather.

I know it's just my chemistry!

IrishCol
IrishCol

I used to buy this for myself or had it bought for me on birthdays and christmas when I was in my 20's ... t was a scent I used for going out in the evenings! From reading the above reviews I am almost scared to try the new formualation as Magie Noir of 15 years ago holds so many magical memories for me!

bergamot
bergamot

I get a very strange feeling when I smell this perfume.

passionata20
passionata20

My first memories of this fragrance is that is was very desirable amongst soviet women, as we didn´t have western/french etc perfumes in USSR, but MAGIE NOIRE was true hit amongst with Chanel, YSL and Dior It was every woman´s dream to have it!
The scent lasts for a very long time even EDT. I´ve heard that pure perfume was made with oils of muskus rat and not synthetic. I guess that´s why it lasts and lasts and lasts.... and it also costs a lot if you can find it in internet!!!
There is something magical in it!

Update... NB!!! THIS REVIEW IS MADE BASED ON THE OLDER FORMULATION OF MAGIE NOIRE!!! The new version is as far from original as porn from art! Very Dissapointing!!! I have tried it today in a perfumery and it is like heaven and earth, the amazing old one and disgusting new one. Why they relauched it in that way anyway???????

diamond9
diamond9

Oh my Gosh, how can I begin this review... Well, the new version was really a great disappointment for me... Maybe because I expected that one of the best scents of my early youth won't be that much reformulated...
It doesn't feel like the old version at all, I'm really sorry to say that, but it completely lost all of its sweetness. This was the only perfume that made me feel so mystical in my early girlhood, and now it's gone and it won't return. This fact makes me sad, I must say... I will never understand that perfume creators can keep the same name of something which is so different...
So, this, new version just smells very hard on me, it's somehow too smoked, dark and almost transformed into a male scent. So, if you love the old version, my advise is not to try this one, you may find yourself disappointed, like I was...

*This review is for the "New" version in the clear bottle and black box*

After reading many of the reviews below, I was intruiged by this to say the least. On first smelling it (and then bringing it home on a scent strip) I thought this may not be something I could wear. My "best girl" at the frag counter said: "TOO Old lady!". Well, old ladies know a few things...

True, it does begin a bit harshly with bitter cassia and galbanum's powdery green scream and bergamot; but the flowers underneath are heavenly, and the tart berries add just a bit of sweetness. I put the strip in a bag and thought: "We'll see...". On getting home, about an hour later, and resniffing: it was resplendent with tuberose, sweet honey and ylang. The other cooler, less "loud" flowers rounded the bouquet so you could smell more than the honeyed sweetness and "rubber" note in the tuberose. It took a few minutes, but the "Magic" had begun! The final drydown is heavy with woods, musks (lovely civetta) and dry earthy patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver. This scent, even though it is a modern reformulation, is divine. It reminds me of the three faces of the goddess: the maiden: sensual, sweet and vivacious, the Mother: serious, down to earth, and warm, and finally-The Crone: ancient, wise and though often harsh-powerful and steadfast. I can understand the "figure eight" analogy in its development-it does to some strange things as it eveloves...but each and every nuance and change is superb. This has just about everything you could want in a perfume and more, and may be too much or too "classic" for some, but I just adore it and will be adding it to my collection...soon. As it does become something more unisex with time...

Sillage: good
Longevity: great
Overall: 4/5

I had hoped this would be somewhat more oriental, and perhaps the scent I would os-magine Akasha (Queen of the Damned) would wear...but not to my nose. Though how on earth could I begin to even fathom how a 1,000 year old vampire queen would smell?! This has a very mature and slightly sharp opening but the heart (as it were) is wonderful and the drydown earthy, woody and warmly sweet, and the other notes DO play peek-a-boo here and there. Looking for something dark, mysterious and enchantingly beautiful? Try MN, it is magickal, but remember: this reviewer has been under the spell of vintage perfumes for quite a while now! :-)

I would LOVE to smell the original (main picture), and the La Collecion versions as well!

Audryna
Audryna

Is it just me or was that a damn sexy review by JB78? Awesome! I always loved this fragrance, but yes, it is hard to wear! I feel I just learned somthing in JB78's review though, that would have made me understand the fragrance even more - it's not an everyday fragrance! It should have been kept for the nights when one is feeling bewitching and wants to actually merge into the spirit of night.
Thank you JB78. I am going to treat myself to another bottle, as my first has been dry for years, and I am going to reserve it for the evenings when only a dance beneath a crescent moon is called for!

maatgirl
maatgirl

9:40 P.M.: I am sitting at my computer writing this review. Twelve hours ago, I applied the lotion and EDT of Magie Noir; now, a half-hour before bedtime, I am still enjoying the deep drydown: warm woods and spicy herbs. This is a rich, deep fragrance...Azuree without the leather, or Cabochard without leather, but with a backbone.
I don't remember the MN of the 1970s; I don't remember trying it, and I remember most of the fragrances that I have experienced over the years, so my review is of the 'modern' MN. Many reviewers here lament the passage of the original fragrance, and by virtue of the way they describe it, I would love to experience a vintage sample of it. However, I find today's MN to be the best of the Lancome fragrance family. It is green, woodsy and outdoorsy enough for daytime wear, but deep and mysterious: also perfect for a night to remember. So, while things may have changed with this fragrance, I will offer an enthusiastic endorsement of it in the here and now: if I were the signature scent type, right now,this MIGHT be it for me.

parfum de l'amour
parfum de l'amour

A crisp one. To my nose, slighly reminiscent of Estee Lauder - Knowing, as it appears to have the same potent "woodyness", sharp, fresh, only in a cleaner, non-soil-like version (probably because of the more active flower notes and the lack of the cardamom-coriander-laurel combination). That being said, it feels more like an oriental-woody fragrance to me. All in all, it has something provocative to it, not really alluring but let's say subtly titillating(?) at best.

hamptoncherry
hamptoncherry

What a shame Lancome discontinued the original perfume! I have to say the EDT available now has almost nothing to do with the scent available about 10-15 years ago. You would probably recognise a scent baseline in the new one but it is much "ruder" and "sharper". A friend of mine gave me a proper perfume in 1999 and it was absolutely beautiful -- warm and sensual and a bit magical indeed. And it lasted for hours. Occasionally you can see the original perfume on e-bay but it costs a fortune, so shame shame shame one can't really buy it anymore.

A green chprye in the classic sense. Very well done. It will probably smell familiar to fans of the chypre genre, but It's not my thing.

Castor
Castor

I remembered smelling this on some women long time ago and for memory's sake, I asked a sales person to test it on my skin. To my surprise, it did not smell the same way I recalled it did: notes were analogous, but its strength was quite diminished, and to my (big) surprise I found these changes resulted in Magie Noire making up to a masculine scent. The immediate result was that I could not stop smelling my hand besides the fact I kept repeating myself that I should buy it. I asked my wife what she thought about it, she said that she thought it was a very nice men's fragrance... when I told her it was a femenine scent she looked at me with a really strange face.

More of an oriental than a floral, dark as its name would suggest, this is the kind of femenine scents men can use without any kind of regret (for being too floral) or fear (for being so ubiquitous that people can recognize it as a femenine fragrance) - something that makes me wonder about recent releases targetted to men that have been a success, all characterized by clear and outloud floral notes that they make perfect femenine scents.

parisa
parisa

New one is like a hair spray. One of the worst reformulations in a perfume world (next to Miss Dior that is ruined as well).

Ditsh
Ditsh

I read some nice reviews about Magie Noir here, and i knew it's hard to find it in my country. So when i saw the EDT on the online store, i immediately purchased this fragrance without any idea what it smells like. And well, it was something that I REGRET BUYING. It either smells like my grandpa or my uncle. Very old, very strong, and very masculine! It doesn't smell like the old version of Magie Noir that my aunt have. I think there are some different notes between the old and new version. So beware. I got a headache soon after i spritz it on my wrist, I immediately washed it then, but still it stays as strong as it was! Some people consider it as a classic beauty, but to me, it is definitely one of the worst fragrance ever made. Don't WASTE your money on this!

winx61
winx61

I prefer the new version... in 1978 Magie noir war too strong, too spice... too oriental.
Now It's very nice fragrance for all the day, for every day

omg it is poison brrrrrrrr i have the edt and it is like not bed but its very bed i dont have vords to say dont buy!!!!!

Mushana
Mushana

.......you either love it or hate it! I feel the original scent was gentler and the bottle was absolutely stunning! I would carry the flascon to school and sniff it when I missed my Mommy! I was 6 years at the time..........nostalgic scent!

mrs.Bond
mrs.Bond

I got this today and I like it a lot.I have the new version and I think I will wear this every day,it's not too strong for me.

bamboowu
bamboowu

Thank you to truffles for allowing me to sample a very unique and classy fragrance. I fell in love with this beauty instantly.

Magie Noire by Lancome is not at all sad to me, I found it to be quite the opposite, uplifting and very dazzling. It makes a statement of confidence, class, elegance, mystery and sparkle. I picture this scent on a sophisticated woman who is in her finest clothing, in the finest surroundings.

What I can detect in this oriental fragrance is the rose, ylang-ylang, galbanum, amber, incense, raspberry and honey. I love this combination very much and find it to be quite amazing. It is a spicy and yet there is also a sweetness. Very sexy and exotic, with almost a sweet/tangy/zesty feel to it. A perfect oriental in my opinion that has also stood the test of time.

Staying power is just amazing with the smallest application and sillage is also wonderful. It is strong so you really don't need much for a wonderful result, thus it is cost effective as well.

Elegant and VERY beautiful, I just LOVE it and effective immediately, am looking for a bottle online!

zvoncica
zvoncica

Magie Noir is elegant woman in grief, because of dry and harsh florals. With black lace covering her face. And silent tears on cheeks.

Magie Noir is Victorian style crystal chandelier. Because of the sour oakmoss and spicy heart. Cold, shiny and magnificent.

Magie Noir is Orff`s Carmina Burana. Because it is a reminiscent on past times, with musk and leather, and furniture polish dry down. Imperative, bold and overwhelming.

Magie Noir is how perfume world smelled before girly girls scents. Unique and wonderful. Best Lancome creation.

milkyway
milkyway

ohhhh how much i LOVE this smell...but on others unfortunately..my mom wore it for 15 years straight and then she switched to dior midnight poison because magie noir didn't smell like it used to..but oh-what-a-perfume!

karlee79
karlee79

this is by far the worst scent EVER created!!! hate hate hate it. It stinks so bad, like makes me sick to my stomach. Makes my nose itchy thinking about it, and I actually just sneezed. No person in their right mind should ever purchase this, this is such a god awful scent. This actually reminds me of and old beer bottle that has been left sitting with cigarette butts in it.

eilismaireg

I would love to smell a pre re-formulation version of this as it's my kind of scent, dry and woody. The top notes are rather harsh and urinic (the honey may be a culprit) but the drydown is lovely. I'm surprised that there is no incense in the composition as that is what I get 4 hours on. I own La Perla, which is very similar but with a lovely opening too, plus it's cheaper and better in my opinion.

eilismaireg

I'm surprised that this isn't classed as a chypre as that is how it smells nowadays

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

How I loved this in college. It was such a mysterious, sexy, scent- in my opinion. I do not care at all for the reformulation. Sad, how they change all the truly extraordinary fragrances. This was pure magic in its glory days.

Miau
Miau

Got this one as a gift from my bosses friend. They were so proud telling me how hard it was to find it.
Well it was horrible, one of the worse scents, one spritz and I was sick. I gave it away.

guest_alexanna7
guest_alexanna7

Used to wear this and was my goth scent.on me rose jasmine ylang ylang sandal wood and incense.dark and luminous at the same time.verry special.found it back.maybe will get a bottle!

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

I fell in love with it because it's so out there and original, even though this is not a new perfume! It's daring and exotic. Great for evening wear.

guest_Vivianit
guest_Vivianit

I am using it about 30 years, it is still one of my favorites, I got so many compliments with it, yes the old version which is still in Europe. This new in square bottle is on american continent.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

OMG, I love this scent!!!! Just intoxicating to me! Very oriental spicy and last forever. I used to buy the bath oil and ware it as perfume on my neck. I wore this scent for years also. Ive had a long long courtship with perfume!

Like a piece of art or a line of literature a fragrance speaks differently to each individual. It has many layers to reveal yet it is one and the same. I have just purchased my first bottle of Magie Noire, blind, and I am happy to say that this fragrance is breathtaking; in a good way. It is rich, warm, has depth, mystery and a sense of something that is tantalisingly dangled in your path yet you can not reach. Yet again I have Fragrantica and its members to thank for bringing this gem to my attention. Perfume is a very personal thing and it is a good job that we all differ in our tastes or we would all smell the same, lose our individuality and be fighting over the few bottles remaining of that generic scent. This perfume, for me, is definitely like being reacquainted with a long lost friend :0)

SylvanFox
SylvanFox

I received this as a gift. It was harsh like an assault. There was no way for me to try to distinguish notes due to the overwhelming urge to get it off. Not a fan at all.

kristellya
kristellya

i was surprised when i saw that is oriental flower.is so strong i dont like it all it gives me the feeling of something old.like belongs to victorian queens!not my style at all!

Denica
Denica

Dark, powerfull and classical scent for special cold evenings. I'm surprised by it`s olfactive group, i thought it was chupre floral. Great harmony with the name, really magical, very strong and very long lasting. Makes you feel special, elegant and sexy in it`s dark ways. Snow Queen would love to have it.

truffles
truffles

The Queen of perfumes in my view and, like Climat, an example of how good Lancome used to be before all this new fangled Hypnose-type stuff. I have gone back to this perfume again and again since my teens. It's clever, magical, enticing, and leaves a beautiful trail. In fact I first discovered it while at school in the 80s. A teacher walked past me and I smelled the most beautiful smell I had ever smelled in my life. I stood there in wonderment thinking 'what IS that perfume?!'.
It always feels right on me and I always think of it as MY perfume! This is not for tweenies or for those who dig the modern perfumes, it's an old-fashioned and traditionally feminine evening perfume and I don't think every woman can carry it off. It's definitely one for the slightly strange Phoebe from Friends types, a bit different, a bit strange, a bit hippy, mysterious. Shame they changed the bottle, I loved the old one.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i wanted magie noire to work for me because of the great name, my good luck with lancome fragrances and the edgy 70s idea of it. unfortunately, it is not love for me and magie noire. mostly, i get pine needle scent from it, and my eyes water. to add insult to injury, i can tell that it must smell amazing on some peoples' skin. i feel something great hiding under the pine needles, but my eyes are too watery to wait and find out what it is. *sigh*

weegee
weegee

I've posted that I love this one but after spritzing myself at Macy's just now I must qualify: I love the OLD version with the gaudy-awful black plastic-shouldered bottle. It has depth, layers of incense that swirl and smoke.

The new formulation in the clear, square glass bottle is a cheap peppery cough- and sneeze inducing MESS.

Find yourself an old bottle; it may look cheap but the juice it holds is a rich, thick syrup of luxury.

magie
magie

the Lancome scent I liked best was Poem,but recently I bought Magie Noir online because it was a great deal. I was surprised. It smells soft and warm with a strong scent of jasmine and woods,very pretty. I do wear oriental florals well but this does not smell that spicy, it is much softer. I read that it has been reformulated, maybe that is why. Very pretty on my skin.

tonygee5
tonygee5

Used to buy it for my Mom and it smelled wonderful on her. She loved the body powder and it would last all day. It went well with her chemistry, it was kinda spicy yet oriental/floral.

This fragrance surprised me. I didn't actually recognise this fragrance because it was bottled in a green rectangular-shaped bottle. The way it had been packaged made me assume that it was going to be a citrusy/green scent. I was truly amazed when I discovered that it wasn't.

Magie Noire is a soft, slightly musky and pretty floral fragrance. The scent is oddly fresh and clean, yet warm, powdery and comforting. This makes me think that this would be an excellent fragrance for all seasons.

This fragrance was naturally going to be a hit with me since it contains so many of my favourite notes; raspberry, honey, tuberose, jasmine, ylang ylang and lily of the valley.

Strangely enough, I think this would make the perfect bedtime scent during those warmer nights. It's soothing, delicate and luxurious. It actually reminds me slightly of D&G for women in its powdery softness of the drydown.

I think this fragrance is an excellent choice if you want to go with something that isn't necessarily what everyone else wears. It's casual and delightful without being too overpowering. It's perfect.

jesse22
jesse22

Some years ago my mom and some other people were just getting sick by being near to a woman that wore it (at their office) Even asked her to do not use it at work. Mom said that it reminds her dead flowers at funeral:)))

Acrid and vulgar. I wanted to like this but I couldn't. It's way too strong in a bad way. I love mellow orientals and I'm not too much into fresh fragrances, but this is too much and too untidy. It smells very animalic and dirty on me and on many people too. Maybe only a few can transmute this heavy formula in something good, but most women back in time wore it because of the name and stinked awfully.

Tala
Tala

Nothing smells like Magie Noir. And of course Magie Noir in french means black magic. If you are a black mystery kind of person this should be yours. Very woody and spicy yet sweet just the right touch. It evolves during the day and the dry down is fantastic. Best to be worn at night. Pure magic for parties and dancing throughout the night.

cocomademoisellerie
cocomademoisellerie

A friend of my Mum wore this when I was a child and one day I found a little, off-cap, almost empty bottle under her bed. What to say: it has been an honour for me to find out what she was wearing. No, better said: where she came from.
Years later, on a school trip to Denmark, I received a bottle from the collection of my exchange patner's dead mother.
For all of these reasons I hold Lancome's masterpiece in high regard and from time to time I use it sparely, because it creates too much feelings when wearing.

Cris_Venesza
Cris_Venesza

Not my type , it's a strong scent .... full of power , something you can use maybe for cold days ...i think this perfume on a summer day it's a real poison for everyone.

lilinah
lilinah

R. says:
"I just bought Magie Noir today, and i still like the fragrance. I did not know it have been reformulated. Do anybody know in which way it´s different from the originally?"

The IFRA, the International Fragrance Association, has enacted regulations that restrict the use of oakmoss, and also affect vetiver, among others. Any perfume or men's fragrance that had these has been or will soon be reformulated to limit or remove them. This has changed hundreds of classic fragrances, generally to their detriment.

Kultakutri
Kultakutri

I got a vintage miniature just today and I'm trying it on just right now.

I loved this fragrance since many years ago but I couldn't bring myself to buy it, the old bottle with the black plastic shield is just so awful for me that I wouldn't touch it.
I don't have the new version anywhere around but from what I remember, there's more resin straight from the top notes and it persist, the old one seems to be more fruity and soapy and just not the thing - or my nose changed quite a bit in the last two months.

I'll test it on my cat. She loves madly this fragrance and whenever I wear it, I have the beast in my lap, sticking her head up my sleeve - maybe she'll notice the difference too:D

Mals86
Mals86

I ran across a vintage edt miniature on eBay the other day and bought it, unsniffed. It's not at all what I thought it would be, but it's intriguing! I had expected a warm, rich ambery oriental; instead it's dry, woody, spicy and herbal. I merely opened the bottle to sniff and got a drop or two on my fingers -- and although it is the very beginning of spring as I write, I immediately thought of autumn, with brown leaves on the ground, wet with rain, pine branches overhead, a big golden moon in the sky, and a waft of mystery in the air, the way the world smells when it is changing.

I get so much scent drifting up to my nose, even with only a drop of eau de toilette on my fingers, that the sillage must be huge. Gorgeous - and I will put it away for fall, to be worn with a black dress and heels, as well as a glorious amber fringed scarf I own. Or perhaps with an ivory wool sweater and jeans, on a day when I have time to really appreciate the scent.

kayka
kayka

this is wonderful perfume... but, there is a trick.. it is too strong. if you want to smell nice at night, you should put it on your skin at morning :)) for real smell, you should wait :)

it is really magical :)

R.
R.

I just bought ´magie noir today, and i still like the fragrance. I did not know it have been reformulated.
Do anybody know in which way it´s different from the originally?
There IS a difference, but its hard say in which way.

katyas
katyas

This starts right off, on me, as a strong incense smell, kind of like Nag Champa. I don't really smell anything else in it, although that is enough - I find it quite lovely, woody and dark. This was another gift from my mother-in-law, who has the most remarkable taste!

Giomar
Giomar

It was wonderful. I loved it. The new scent has lost the most beautiful tone. Now it's awful.

guest_BitchyBitchy
guest_BitchyBitchy

It is the only perfume I cannot stand and throw it to rubbish bin and I did try it many many times I tried just a little or more , it smells liked a mouse killer drugs,extremely pungent,extremely ugly on me,I just order one special shiseido nombre noir,it is totally heavenly very mysterious and very elegant,sorry lancome magie noir I am not a witch I don't need black magic,thanks

BitterOrange
BitterOrange

Awful - one spray of this and all I could smell was school gym shoes - the ones made from black canvas and rubber soles. I can't fault its longevity though - I tried to wash it off but could still smell it the next day.

Scent lover
Scent lover

I really like this one. I do think its unique and very very feminine. Its classy and powerful. Like a statement of beauty, strength and charm.

soirdelune
soirdelune

As a girl in the 1980s I thought this was such a glamorous, sexy scent -- truly magical. For the sake of nostalgia, I gave it a sniff the other day in my local department store. The scent was reformulated some years ago and (in my view) to horrid effect: the initial smell was acrid and unpleasant, and it was only after a good thirty minutes that any familiar warmth and softness came through. I enjoyed smelling the lingering tones of the original middle and base notes, but was very disappointed with this vulgar reformulation.

guest_pippi
guest_pippi

I have a friend that wears it almost 30 years and is still an absolute fan of it. for me it is too strong,rather male fragrance, smells repulsive a lot of black pepper and soap. very unusual, probably unique.it not the one for me.

LuckysGirl
LuckysGirl

Much too strong for me. Even just a single spritz on the wrist made me a little sick to my stomach. No thanks.

solocha
solocha

A classical very, very elegant scent for an independent, strong woman. Most people that have come accross this say it's suitable for special occasions, which I agree; but I can imagine wearing it even during normal day.

Urban Skies
Urban Skies

Very strong. Doesn't smell very good on me, but smells warm, mysterious, and exotic with the right chemistry.

2007

Magie Noire by Lancome 3.94 out of 5 based on 1004 ratings and 186 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Lancome Magie Noire fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Lancome Magie Noire, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Magie Noire by Lancome. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Magie Noire by Lancome represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.