Designers » L » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

dislike

I have it: 1236 I had it: 448 I want it: 595 My signature: 19

aldehydic
Arpege Lanvin for women Videos Arpege Lanvin for women Videos
Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures Arpege Lanvin for women Pictures

This famous perfume was made by Andre Fraysse for Lavine home in 1927. The name was chosen by the daughter of the perfumer. Since she had been involved into music she chose name “Arpege”, i.e. music term arpeggio. The original 1927 formula incredibly corresponded to its musical term - the notes of perfume play their theme alternately. In 1993, the perfume was reconstructed and that was a successful work. The composition was mostly well preserved, but still that was second great perfume. Top notes are: bergamot, aldehide, peach, orange bloom, honeysuckle, orris. In the heart there are: rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, coriander, sensitive plant, tuberose, violet, and geranium. The base consists of: sandal, vetiver, patchoulis, vanilla and musk. The bottle is lovely, too. The beautiful figures on the black misted background representing mother and daughter (wife and daughter of the perfumer), who are getting ready for the ball. In October 2009 the house of Lanvin presents Arpege 120, their popular fragrance created back in 1927, reformed in 1993. The fragrance is composed of such notes as aldehydes, peach, bergamot, orange blossom, honeysuckle, iris, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, coriander, mimosa, tuberose, geranium, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, vanilla and musk.

New package is work of art director of the house of Lanvin - Alber Elbaz, whose main theme was mother-daughter relation, i.e. sketches of Jean Lanvin and her daughter Margaret, dressed in gorgeous violet dresses created in Parisian style. Lanvin celebrates 120 years of the house with sketched black flacon with golden details and pink hearts around mother and daughter.

The new flacon of Arpege 120 has been available in two amounts, 50 and 100 ml, since October 2009. Arpege was created by Paul Vacher and Andre Fraysse.

Aldehydes Honeysuckle Peach Neroli Lily-of-the-Valley Bergamot

Camellia Coriander iris Lily Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium

Amber Sandalwood Patchouli Musk Vanilla Benzoin Vetiver

Amouage Gold pour Femme
Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine

Arpege Fragrance Reviews

rockegg
rockegg

This was a blind buy for me and how I got to be my age without smelling it is a mystery. I think the bottle didn't appeal to me when I was young (it looked too mature for me) and now it isn't easy to find.

My first impression: WOW! What a wonderful, complex scent. I got lots of the green feeling from the lily of the valley, and the wood, and the fruit, mixed together on a classy bed of aldehyde.

After an hour or so it loses a lot of the complexity but remains lovely. I can see why this is still sold. I get a sort of Mad Men era feeling from it.

Best blind buy EVER for me.

This may be easier to wear for modern people than some of the others from the 20's.

Edit: the more I wear this the more I love, love, love it! On me there is a strong heart of vetiver and finding a feminine vetiver makes me very happy.

tanzp
tanzp

i just got this today and love , its a warm sexy scent it reminds me of boudoir love one of my new faves for sure ;]

lindafoley58
lindafoley58

I don't have this fragrance yet but I have a mini bottle coming. I bought a lot. In this lot this fragrance was listed & did a little investigation on this site & I can't wait.

Rebemario
Rebemario

I just have to say, I adore reading everyones reviews and interpretations of these amazing fragrances. I consider you all my fragrance buddies knowing you are the only ones who "get" my affinity, shall I venture to say obsession of fragrance? I think for me it is so close to aromatherapy. These lovely fragrances have history and when one is of a certain mood, a certain fragrance from ones perfume wardrobe can make a person feel, well, better, lifted to another time and place if you have the imagination. I have delved into the world of fragrance to which I think I always belonged but now its just crazy, it seems to never end. It is as we would say in the 80's Awesome! Well, now for Arpege. It is just as so many of you have so eloquently put, class, refinement, complexity, clean and so many other things. Like so many other classic fragrances, it leaves you wondering, what did I just smell?- when you've worn it for years. I just purchased this angel of a fragrance and I have to say, I felt elevated to another level of society. It was a bit strong at first but intelligent, and something you could wear to the opera as well as daily work or lounging at home watching your favorite time period film. Those duchesses would have nothing on you while wearing this. Amazing, historic, a must have for anyone who appreciates art of all forms and the value of all things vintage.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Review for the vintage cologne. Eau de Arpege.
Arpege.So different than the notes listed. I was aftaid it would be yet another floral with some aldehydic components.

But no. I detect lots of sandalwood. And aldehydes. Very, very beautiful in a way only vintage perfume can be. Nothing from the latter 20th c thru today can compare.

I find Mitsouko in the same fragrance category. No sweetness, low key floralcy.Wood wood and more wood.

Another proof that vintage is the only way to go..

Grodanmimmi
Grodanmimmi

The first "real" (ie expensive) perfume i tried was chanel nr 5, but i have never had the budget to buy it. Read about arpege, that its quite similar to chanel, so i ordered this in a internet store. Was only 20 $ to! When i tried it it was very clise to chanel but a bit more young and sexier. I get a lot of the floral notes first then it mellows into the musk and vanilla. This is a perfume i will always be in my bathroom cupboard, true masterpiece.

A nice scent and like a sister to L'artisan Passage d'enfer EdT, they share the same base but Lanvin is a little bit more flowery.

en trevlig doft och som en syster till L'artisan Passage d'Enfer EdT, dom är mycket lika varann men Lanvin är något mer blommig.

ricepritchard
ricepritchard

Arpege is what real french perfumery is all about----classy, sophisticated, cosmopolitan, and original. A very elegant and unusual scent. It puts most modern perfumes at the "back of the class"---or even "out in the hall." A woman who wears this not only has good taste but needs a certain flair and style to "carry it off." When I smell this I think of elegant women in evening gowns with escorts in top hats and tails attending the ballet or opera in Paris "between the wars" or dancing the night away at the Lido or Tabaran. I have smelled the "old" Arpege and the "new" Arpege of recent years and both are wonderful with certain slight differences. Please, please Lanvin do not ever wreck this wonderful scent!

Mistressvoodoodolly
Mistressvoodoodolly

This is class in a bottle - the vintage. I got the parfum version on EBay, probably dating to the 50s. It's sensual, even sliding a drop down your wrist and the fragrance rises up. On me it starts out big, allegro, the complete symphony in perfect time and tune. Slowly soloists appear, the powdery aldehydes like flute, then the floral like a romantic violin. Finally I get the earthy woodsy finale that remains warm and soulful like the cello, adagio. A perfect symphony.

InfirmièreParfumée
InfirmièreParfumée

Superb.

This remarkable Lanvin masterpiece is truly one-of-a-kind. Just like Shalimar and J'adore, this is one fragrance you must have owned at least once or 5x in your lifetime...or a fragrance you know from the moment you get to encounter the essence.

Arpege starts as a pretty intense scent. Very strong. That aldehyde comes on with a "I'm here" in an instant and simmers in a bit. Soon, the flowers flourish and linger all throughout the day and it is such a delight.

Slightly musky, warm, and the silage is great.

With all said, Arpege is more fit for the mature woman. The independent, well-versed, and the woman who can say, "I can rock this tune alright !"

schamberae

Just got my 100 ml tester I bought from my perfume supplier for $45. it smells divine. I tell you the clear and black bottle are just the same but the black ine has it drydown close to guerlain samsara due to it's sandalwood base. I have both and the 5 ml as well. spray it on your clothes and it lasts all day ,linger on your body like mommy's hug. sometimes make me feel like a baby after evening shower and dressed up with all that baby powder and white pink baby blue color and get ready to sleep. comforting
My friend said I smelled like a 1000 flowers

@Sweet Sea Pea, thanks.
I did test it on paper and fabric, but still can't overcome the blast of aldehydes which seem to linger forever.
There is sourness at the base (on paper it sticks its head up a bit later than on skin) that takes over all the other notes, and kills the joy for me.

Sweet Sea Pea

To advabart: I have the new version of the EDP which comes in a clear glass bottle, just like the main photo above. It's a recently purchased mini from Fragrance.net. Perhaps your bottle is too old or it isn't real Arpege? The liquid is a rich golden color but it is very fluid and not oily at all. I can imagine that if you hate aldehydes you might not like it. Maybe you should experiment. Put some on paper and some on fabric, and then compare to wearing it on your skin. Have some other people try it on and see if they get better results. I would suggest applying very lightly if you aren't enjoying it, and let it develop for at least an hour. However, even my friend who hates powdery aldehilic fragrances sniffed my mini and said she could smell the sweet sandalwood. So, I don't know your tastes but I would imagine that it is possible that you just don't like Arpege.

chanel4747
chanel4747

to me this is a very complex perfume and so sad that it didn't pass my chemistry. It starts enormous loud that gives me a headache and I wait to dry down which is after 30 minutes, though I can't smell anything.... very weird. I didn't get satisfaction in this perfume, I wish it developed gradually on my skin, not ups and downs then no smell at all.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I have a small vintage 1980s bottle picked up on ebay. I'm new to fragrance but thanks to fragrantica I'm studying the classics and new classics, This is definitely not a girly scent, it's all woman and someone very sure of herself. It's not fruity, sweet, gourmand or anything modern. It's rich, complex, sultry and certainly smells of a different era -- I did not say old -- just smells beautifully vintage and a true classic,
I love floral aldehydes and this one has some soft spice added, which makes it different from Chanel 5 (which I adore in vintage and all modern interpretations). Also
less powdery dry-down than C5. I love it in winter and it's a beautiful, more subtle alternative to Shalimar (which I also love, but find Arpege vintage more suitable for office wear. Arpege is amazingly beautiful. I have not tried the new Arpege.

Sweet Sea Pea,
I wonder which one you have tried, the vinage or the current version in black bottle?
I am trying so hard to at least appreciate this creation (got the black bottle), but, sadly, no success so far...

Sweet Sea Pea

Once again Fragrantica steers me to something utterly beautiful that I never would have found otherwise. I love Arpege. It was on my want list for some time, when I finally scored a mini EDP for a few dollars. Anybody who hasn't tried Arpege should just get a mini. The bottle and box are divine, and easily giftable if for some strange reason you don't enjoy it. The aldehelic opening on my skin is strong but tolerable. I've been enjoying L'air du Temps EDT for several months and the aldehydes in Arpege are a faint whisper in comparison. However, I am dabbing and a spray may exaggerate the aldehydes. They don't last long on me unless I apply a lot of juice, and even then they soften steadily for 30 mins and then leave a faint impression. My overwhelming experience is of a warm, sweet, golden ambery sandalwood with the other notes tinkling like music in the background. Arpege is supremely well blended. I have a very hard time picking out individual notes. Like any high quality fragrance, a little goes a long way, so if she overwhelms you, try again with a very light hand. Just a tiny little dab, or waft. Since the vast majority of frags today are watery nothings that disappear in minutes, most women are probably dousing themselves in fragrance and majorly overapply when they try a high quality french perfume. Today I intentionally over applied Arpege to really experience the fragrance and this is the first time I felt the white floral or indole...its that well blended. Strong white florals tend to give me a headache, and Arpege is strong enough when overapplied to do so. When applied conservatively, I get nothing offensive or overwhelming. I smell many florientals that I think are striving to be like Arpege, but they are too heavy and cloying, or get the spice balance wrong. I think I may have met my ultimate floriental, how can it really get better than this? Arpege makes me feel utterly feminine, although I could see it working on a man. I think perhaps that being so well blended, it would play very differently on different bodies, bringing out a different character to the fragrance. So happy I got to try this one!! Thank you for all the lovely reviews.

Tiger84
Tiger84

I was so excited about it (okay, I can tell this about every perfume I've ever tried, let alone blind bought). Beautiful bottle, and music related, which is a plus. Classic and not trendy, which is another big bonus in my book.
The initial spray made me doubt that it would fit with my body chemistry, which would have been a shame, I love the old classics, Shalimar is a thing of beauty on my skin, and so is No5.
But Arpege's first spray on my wrist was soapy, sour, Grey Flannel and the boring note of white musk. Of all these I'd only expected the soapy quality.
Now two hours later it turned into something beautiful. Needs another spray because the first was really just a quick test on my way home.
Will update. After the initial sourness is gone, this can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. I want it to work!

I personally don't get a fecal impression from Arpege, but I would say it runs a bit toward "musty". Most likely due to the vetiver and patchouli, but I feel like I smell a bit of moss too?
After that clears up a bit, I get a lot of bergamot + coriander and underneath that, iris, honeysuckle and peaches. There are whiffs of a very nice, true to life honeysuckle note but I'm disappointed that it keeps getting drowned out by the rest of Arpege's formidable note pyramid.
To me, this is a pleasant scent. It feels very turtleneck and tailored pants. However, my boyfriend describes it as a "big" scent that "smells like a f*^%ing whorehouse". Well dang. Maybe Arpege gives you the chance to have it both ways.

Daisydukes

Thanks to the unbelievable generosity of Chickenpotpie I was able to smell the vintage! I truly disliked the modern version. It's very "fecal" to me and not smooth.

The vintage is a completely different story. It's soft and lovely. Elegant, classic, warm, and perhaps a bit "human" but definitely not unclean. Ladylike and feminine are two words that come to mind.

After I have the chance to explore this one for some time, I will add to specifics to my review.

I am bowled over by the differences between the new and the old. I am convinced that personal taste aside, the reformations are to blame for some of us recoiling in horror over this one.

To those of you who, like me, are inexperienced with vintage, IMO there is a great difference between the original classic beauty and the fraud in the shiny new bottle. Smelling the new version is like looking into a funhouse mirror. It reflects the original, but in a way that leaves it completely distorted.

THANK YOU Chickenpotpie.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

I have to add a review out of love and respect, dare I ask why not a single 'reminds me of chanel number 5?' surely the glorious opening is more then a little similar. Makes me imagine a time when life was a ittle more simple, and elegant. Pure aldehydes, sublime. Fair play to Lanvin for a quality reformulation.

odie
odie

wow! this is so full bodied, I don't think the word "mature" can describe it. The scent is so fruity...something reminds me of star anis. At the perfume counter my sister and I thought it too strong, but my three-year-old niece who was with us said "aunty I like that!"

It's not for me, but its quite feminine - reminds me a bit of one of those Mauboussin numbers. Hurray for those who consider it a signature.

spidola
spidola

I’m reviewing the current version of Arpege...I have not had a possibility to try the vintage one.

For me it’s LOVE from the first sniff to the dry down! I do not find it heavy or cloying, the opposite – it’s soft fresh floral aldehydes perfume. I love aldehyde centered perfumes, but not all of them. For example Ferre by Ferre or FM Iris Poudre are too invasive for my taste, Hermes Caleche is bit too soapy. I love RP Baghari ,Chanel Exclusifs No22…

For my nose Arpege is even a bit green, but I’m not able to explain why. Perhaps it’s vetiver ...and this utterly beautiful softness...it's created by combo of honeysuckle, lily of the valley, neroli and jasmine, I guess…All ingredients are balanced masterfully and honestly I feel that it’s unfair to untangle note by note a perfume like this – I would feel like ruining something delicate…I guess it’s more important to describe these marvelous feelings that this fume generates in me…Arpege gives me the wings still keeping the feet on the ground and teaches me the freedom without forgetting the responsibility. Arpege adds sophistication to my behavior and reminds me that the real elegance is in the attitude. And obviously it doesn’t forget about sensuality, but Arpege doesn’t have any need to underline it – the self-confidence and the determination, that characterize the woman who wears Arpege, ensure that entirely.

Timeless beauty!

beatrix75
beatrix75

I remember my mom I love her so much and this scent remember me about her hugs,about her smile,its a longlasting jasmin kinde of. frag wich i adore long lasting feminine gentle uniqe smell i love

schamberae

Ooooooh a baby powder. Love it so much. It smells like mother's hug. Smell of vintage Linen, boudoir, smell of good and bad memories. a timeless classic. Remember when all the old cartoon on TV? Little house on the Prairie?

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

Wow. Just wow. This is heartbreakingly beautiful, a joy to inhale. A true classic. 'Nuff said.

I feel like crying...
Where is the beauty so many are talking about?
For me it is literally headache inducing, nose burning aldehydic monster...
No sweet florals, nor creamy peach or sandalwood. Just a harsh opening, and a little less harsh drydown.
Big, big let-down and a total waste of money!
How could I be fooled into buying something so far away from my usual liking?

reborn

If in the dry down there is no sooooo much vetiver it would be perfect.I like the opening,i like one our the middle of it,but the dry down gets vetivery and not so good on me.I hoep in the years will change that not so nice dry down on me

danaklein
danaklein

My mother used to wear this beauty and it makes me sad to smell the more recent versions of it. I have beautiful memories linked to this fragrance, I wish I had access to it now as well.

Aldehydic/Floral/Woody Type.

Magnificent, classic French perfumery, with a prominent woody/balsamic base, and subtle fruit hints complementing the dusty/dusky floral heart. Coriander and geranium bestow a soupçon of (old school) green-ness to the dark brew. The musk note smells like ambergris or one of its old analogues. Noble, grand, sophisticated. Smells like the fine old polished wood inside of a Steinway or Stradivarius. Just sheer luxury.

christianne1
christianne1

Well, I am a little late to this party...but better late than never!! How did I miss this beauty for so long? Timeless, classic, refined elegance. I have come to the conclusion that if it came out in the 1920s then I am going to fall in love with it. I can now add Arpege to that list.

The dry down is what makes it for me. It takes a good solid 2 hours to get there but it is well worth a little patience. The dark peach note is just to die for. It is very similar to the peach note in Habanita...but in Arpege I can enjoy it without all the other distractions you get with Habanita (I love Habanita but I am aware there is a lot going on there!). I absolutely love this heavenly powdery deep peach note! There is a lot more to Arpege than peach, but this particular type of peach note blending in with everything else makes it for me.

I got the EDP in the black bottle and I just love elegant retro look of it. I am not sure why some are clear and some are black. But if you have a choice get the black!

I can't believe how affordable Arpege is....it is excellent quality! Very potent and long lasting. Smells expensive without the expensive price tag.

Please don't let the rather harsh aldehydic opening scare you away....Arpege turns into a gentle, beautiful, powdery peachy floral and lasts literally all day. One of my new favorite classics!

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

Oh my,
...anyone can
promise me anything,
but give me... Arpege -

Mine is the black bottle,
a tester one.

The initial is captivating
with a delightful burst
of aldehyde, where its aesthetic
soon heighten by the delightful
dewy floral scent, together with
the delicately soft powdery-woody
accord. Later, this marvel develops
to a beautiful floral richness,
so abundant and so vibrant.

Call this retro, or modern ,
but what certain, this timeless classic
is immortal.

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

I cant wear this no matter how much i love it. Its great on me and everything i want in a scent. I was given this some 30 years ago from the wife of my employer who kept going on how it smelled on me and how much he loved it. Turned out his wife bought it for herself and he took it to give to me. I only found this out when he insisted on smelling it on me and stuck his hand up my skirt. The bottle was smashed the same day and i gave my notice in and left. Yukkk how sleaze balls can ruin a good scent

reborn

5 years ago when i first time tried it i really dislike it.I was younger and i wasnt so much into classic frags.Well not all,but some i dosliked a lot.Now 5 years older i like i tso much that i think that after few years it will become love.It is so creamy,so nice,very thick creamy flowery aldehidic aroma.It is little bit overwhelming for me and sometimes it can make me a headache ,but when I use it sparingly is marvelous.

revlofantasy
revlofantasy

I can't say that I like it. I was looking for something other than heady orientals to wear, and I thought this would be one worth trying. Sadly no, in the bottle it smells wonderful! On me.. it's overpowering and cloying.

The opening notes smell very soapy, fresh, and clean, which is fine. The middle notes of rose and lilly of the valley are great too. But once you get to the final dry down with the amber and jasmine it's too much.

It briefly makes me think of a warm spring garden in full bloom, but then reminds me how over powering that scent can be. :(

So sad... I WANT to like it!

Tine1world
Tine1world

I had the impression I had actually put my two bobs worth in on this one too. Alas I can't find a review in my notes.

This is what I have graduated into. In my day. Yep I had a day too or two too once. 'Arpege' was considered an exclusive fragrance, and at the time 30 or so years ago financially out of reach. A EDT version of this 100 mill would have set one back over the 200. $ mark. YEP!

So either elderly women / men? Don't want to appear gender inclusive, or pretentious younger folk would purchase this. So I had the impression myself that I was when this was a popular fragrance, too young to wear this. Plus+ too poor to buy it.

I sadly and recently about 18 months ago graduated to the 'APREGE' stage in life. Not sad at all. Yet very perplexed. 'Arpege' has a mind of it's own on my skin.

'Arpege' is very much the honeysuckle vain in terms of its dominant scent. This I know as I used to grow a huge amounts of honeysuckle myself many, many years ago. The aldehydes are the ones which remind of 'Chanel No 5', and yes now some reviewers here have mentioned 'First'. It is a little like that too. Both fragrances I have had in the past, and also dominant in this fragrance. I am though extremely ignorant still, in defining notes.

You are teaching me.

I love what has been written here by reviewers, so much of what has been said on 'Arpege' is true.

I have been wearing this for a few day's and it's probably still too warm, weather wise to enjoy this properly. It smells very powdery and soapish on me.

I have four bottles of the EDP version in various sizes . That's just me wanting to be able to carry around my fragrance in my handbag where ever I go.

The larger bottles are black. ie 100 & 50 mill are black, under this size the bottles are clear. ie my mini 5 ml is clear and I have seen the 30 mill bottle in stores and it too is clear. The fragrance is deep amber in colour.

It is so to speak a classic. At today's prices a must even if one can't stand it. A perfume collection seems incomplete without a bottle of this.

The 100 mill was relatively inexpensive by today's standards, setting me back 39.99. Aussies $'s. The 50 mill bottle was 24.99 $ Aussie, and the 5 mill miniatures were $5.99. ( I have seen the mini's for 3.99 Aussie dollars) That is bang for one's Buck. It's Deco 'ERTE' style logo in gold on the balloon style flacon is Art Deco elegance at it's best.

The fragrance very much a sign of it's time and quite clearly an alternative to M'sell Chanel's No5.

Anyway. I am thankful that there are day's I just love wearing this.

Cheers T.

halalula1234
halalula1234

This is a VERY VERY well made fragrance with AMAZING quality.
Comes at a quite affordable price.
a true classic and it is on my to buy list :)
It is also an amazing alternative to chanel no.5

Edit: Bought it today $50 for 100ml

Lasts a long time, nice silage at the start then dries down to me similar to the vintage chanel no.5 EDT. Classy, elegant, aldehyde-white floral combo.
Its a classic that never gets old! hence the reason why it persisted for so long since the 1920's.

Definitely one of my favourite classics, in its humble yet elegant round black bottle. I love my Arpege!

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

Oh, Arpege!

A sparkling glass of fine peach bourbon beside a large floral bouquet of the best of scented flowers and tons of roses. It sits on a black marble topped table with gold, curvy, hand-carved legs and claw feet. An artful mirror hangs above it. Gilded lion/cherub sconces are lit on both sides of that glorious mirror. Persian rugs, serious antiques, and furniture upholstered in the riches textiles from all over the world. Everywhere. Silk, velvet, jacquard. The room is filled with riches everywhere the eye lands but is uniquely uncluttered, every piece strategically placed with the most beautiful, rare, unusual all tied together in the most classic, wealthy way. The woman who lives here is warm, kind, passionate, well-traveled, intelligent, sophisticated with superb taste. Somewhere in the room the smell of high grade sandalwood burns.

If Arpege were a visual design it would be the most elegant, opulent baroque in the world. Arpege is the scent of a beautiful, grown woman who knows exactly who she is, what she wants and refuses to settle for less. Still.. she is exceedingly generous and kind-spirited; sweet but not tooth-achey, she is perfectly coifed, balanced and oh, so sexy and refined in every way imaginable with an aura of white chiffon. She will never, ever grow old regardless her age because her spirit keeps her forever young. Oh. My. Word.... Glorious Arpege! You are divine!

Edee
Edee

Oh my, this is a beautiful fragrance. I can fully understand why it has been around so long. The aldehydes are a little much in the beginning, but very quickly calm down leaving behind an uplifting, heady and downright intoxicating bouquet of flowers. The jasmine, camelia, rose and other flowers are all present and they are singing harmoniously together. This fragrance sings. And the music is glorious.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

I had to come back to my "Arpege", for a moment because I missed how it manages to be so deeply, densely woody, yet creamy and astringent in a way that softly whispers, at the same time. These aldehydes feel like tulle and silk stockings brushed over with creamy, floral powder, buoyed by an underlying, fresh, soapy creaminess of oily sandalwood.

"Arpege" is all about a beautiful, sensual balance of different woods, that feels hazy, languid and nocturnal; hefty but gentle in how it swirls around you, like puffs of elegant incense.

Cocoagogo
Cocoagogo

Beautiful, earthy and supremely feminine. Don't get her wrong though, she's no pushover. I do see where she is compared to Number 5 and perhaps that is why I was drawn to her in the first place. The aldehydes are far more well behaved in this and the floral is richer and dirtier. I find there is also a hint of snuffed candle which is enchanting.

Also one of Marilyn Monroe's favorites and worn by Princess Diana. I think it would play nicely with more women than Number 5. Give it a few hours to fully develop and you will be pleased.

LB152
LB152

I really don't get the "old lady" references to fragrance, or anything else.

It's actually kind of funny for me because what I think most people are describing when they call a fragrance "old-lady-ish" is...

An association with a woman with enough life experience to know that the best things take time, patience, and experience to understand and appreciate…

They remember to think before acting to avoid doing something ridiculous or something they'll live to regret…

They look for quality and impression rather than the latest easily understood trend…

Old ladies take their time to relax and enjoy the good things in life…

Old ladies are demure…classic…timeless…

They possess a degree of wisdom that can give the impression that they've lived forever...

They exude an air of authentic confidence and sophistication that a "young woman" could never understand until she's lived in such a way that warrants such an astute title.

The old lady chuckles at the naivety of the young girl who thinks she knows it all and dares to call her an old lady.

And looks upon the young woman with sympathy and pity and thinks to herself…

"She'll get it someday."

Which is exactly what I think this gorgeous and sultry peachy-floral-boozy fragrance does to all the girls who lack the patience and experience to completely understand it and write it off as an "old lady perfume".

You girls will get it some day.

When life has shared enough with you…you will understand that in order to appreciate such a gem, you need experience and perspective.

Come back in a few years when you're truly ready.

Norgirl
Norgirl

Finaly i have my own bottle of this Beauty
A funny story with this perfume realy. I did not expect to like this at all but somehow i came back to look at the bottle and notes and ended up putting it in my to Test list. i got a tiny vial of it and sniffed it breafly put t away and say juck not for me .. But somehow after several months i found the sample again and this time added it to skin .. initialy it was a very strong not so nice scent making me almost scrub it of right away . But inbetween i got a phonecall and i forgot about it . After just a little wild this settled properly on skin and i got the most beautiful wifs of bright florals , Creamy luminous , heavenly flowers . I sat down and just closed my eyes and knew that i had to have this . Its a real classic ladylike fragrance . Not to old fashioned (dont like to call anything that realy..) this realy has a similarity to Chanel No 5 But i like this one even better. This is less sharp , more creamy warm and elegant IMO.
This makes me think of formel awents like dinner partyes , Opera Houses and such . Bright crystals , Diamonds . Ladys and Gentalmen dressed in formal and beautiful gowns . Smelling so fresh and inwiting. My Image of this is of a little Girl standing on the outside longing to be like that beautiful strong lady in the most stunning gown you can imagine. subtle, elegant, and warm most of all . Loving and kind .
This im shure isent a perfume i can wear everyday . but i knew this one had to be in my collection .
Im so happy i got a second chance with this one . it realy is a beauty.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

in the bottle: smells like beautiful perfume.

on me: smells like pee pee :(

stupid chemistry.

Kayse
Kayse

My heart was set on adding an iconic Chanel to my collection, so I could enjoy the magic that so many have lovingly described here on fragrantica.
A few days were spent sampling various options from the line. I sadly found that my chemistry wasn't amazing with Coco, Coco noir, or Chanel no5.
Last week, blind buy Arpege arrived at a great price. The black
rounded bottle is magical, something Cleopatra would have held. The dark glass means this little beauty can sit out on the vanity and be a visual delight, not something to shield from the light.
I spritzed, and nervously waited for a harsh vintage opening. This particular bottle of Arpege smells fresh and ozonic with smooth, candied oranges immediately! Finally, all the luxury I hoped I would find with Chanel is here, at an amazing price! This one is SUMPTUOUS!

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

Arpege is the less refined cousin of No. 5. She's not afraid to get a little dirty, where No. 5 would not dare to muss her hairdo. Alas, I am more No.5. Arpege has a lovely drydown, but I cannot get past the animalic blast in the opening notes. Body chemistry, I think... I know women who this is lovely on, but on me it is not so good. I appreciate it from a distance.

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

definitely a grandma perfume
and guess what!?

perfumes were constructed with much more love, attention to detail, and with better quality ingredients in your grandma's day.

enjoy. i do.

twoteacakes
twoteacakes

Attention class. When I wear this I feel haughty and aloof, like a classy French headmistress. That will be all.

Elviel
Elviel

I don't know what to make of Arpege. I have worn it for a couple of years only.

On a ball of cotton wool it is a lovley fizzy soft peach, with some sweet florals. All bright and fresh and delicious.

On my skin is smells like plasticine.

Sigh. So sad.

Eau de Parfum 2012/2013. Black glass bottle.

Justyna
Justyna

The longer I use it the more I love it. The first aldehyde wave is harsh, I agree, but it lasts no longer than half an hour. After that it's like a ticket to Heaven... Important: when I use it for some evening occasion (like theatre), I spray it about half an hour before my going out. And I let the wonders work... The play can be good or trash, who cares, with Arpege I'm a plain delight for myself ;)

anitaoolong
anitaoolong

Eau Arpege was one of the first perfumes I purchased for myself in my early teen years in the 80's. I was too young to carry it off outside of my bedroom and so I gave it away.

I don't know why it has taken so long for me to come back to Arpege because it had such an impact on me as a teen. Recently I bought a mini out of nostalgia but my enjoyment of it is not just re-living the golden years - I enjoy it even more so now. For me it's like coming home. I think it's my ultimate comfort scent. The powdery aldehydes, gorgeous florals, creamy woodsy base - love it!

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

BEFORE
I had a funny experience with this fragrance. By funny I mean when I first sprayed it upon my skin I recoiled in abject horror because it was so overpowering!! Inside I was screaming to myself "Get it off me! Get it off me!!!" That was about a year ago and I swore that I was never going to touch another tester bottle of Arpege again! Good riddance Arpege!!

AFTER
WELL. I tried it again last week - reluctantly I might add. I was thinking to myself, what's so great about this stuff? The iconic black bottle played a big role in reassuring me that it was OK to spray it on my skin once again. So I did spray it on my clothes AND LOVED IT. What a revelation it was to try it again! I was elated that I did! All of the rave reviews about Arpege being a timeless classic were correct!!! I found it to be a beautiful powdery, enduring classic. I'm in love with it. I must have it!! I'm not a huge fan of aldehydes, but I think that is changing. I'm off to look for a bottle today and will give a proper review when I douse myself in it.

RosemaryVesper
RosemaryVesper

This perfume holds a particularly special place in my heart. At the age of nine I left home for a specialist music school- my life was turned totally upside down and changed irrevocably by this. A small school, I struggled to find a mother figure, until I met the art teacher. I spent hours in her studio when I wasn't practising the cello with all the diligence of any nine year old girl. A couple of weeks in, I had my first concert: I was playing a wonderful piece by the Jewish composer Bloch called 'Prayer' to all the rest of the pupils and staff. In my green room, the art teacher, Patsy, came in beforehand to wish me luck. She dived into her beaded bag and emerged with a bottle of Lanvin's Arpege, explained to me that it was a musical perfume and one of her favourites, and sprayed it in a mist over my collarbones. After the concert, she returned, congratulating me, and gave me the bottle of Arpege, as a 'lucky charm' for future concerts. I have worn it in every concert I have played since, and worked my way through three bottles (I am now nineteen). I have never worn it off stage though, as I feel the stage is, for me, the place it belongs. It is sparkling, white hot, yet gloriously lavish at the same time. The jasmine and the aldehydes glitter. I must have smelled ridiculous wearing it at the age of nine but I don't think that matters, I think what does is the way it has lived with me, and I with it's transformative beauty. I have loved many others: Coco, Mitsouko, Shalimar, but I will never wear anything but Arpege on stage for the rest of my days. Perhaps I should stock up now so I have enough to still be wearing it at my very last concert! A wise, regal perfume which reminds me of the way a star winks at you in the night. Start your own Arpege story :)

Glamdoc
Glamdoc

The reviews stating that the opening is ...well,an acquired taste are absolutely right. It hits you hard and you either take the blow or fall down gasping for breath. On me that blow is strong,animalic and complex. I love it. I made a mistake of combining this once with a sugary scent to tone down the pungency. Terrible mistake,I smelt like kerosene. If you must combine this,do so with a passive unobtrusive scent as two captains cannot steer one ship and this is definitely a captain. I understand that not everyone gets animalic,slightly pungent notes however I was hurt when a friend turned up his nose and declared this horrible. It is not. It is complex,self-assured,all woman and I love it. It feels like a tigress in command of her jungle and I feel that strong when I wear it.

ed
ed

Arpege - a white (jasminic) floral whose potency is not to be underestimated. Do not overapply!

rasputin1963

A perfume masterpiece, it is a flawless, rich, multifaceted blend, with a well-deserved "high class" aura... luxurious in the way few new perfumes are. Sniffed directly from the bottle, I get some Chanel No. 5 type powder notes, a surprisingly fruity citrus/peach accord, a trace of bitter coriander, closely supported by a natural-smelling, woody-spicy sandalwood. On the skin it unfolds into a silk fabric of insinuating wood, a slightly-sharp powder, and dark resins. The floralcy seems always restrained, and is blended such that no one flower assumes the limelight. I suspect "camellia" may be a "fantasy note"... ie., not derived from a real camellia flower, but cobbled together from other, synthetic and natural, ingredients. Vetiver and benzoin undergird the fragrance with old-fashioned, luxurious elegance, and the vetiver, in its stern rootiness, becomes more noticeable in later drydown. As it dries, it becomes a gilded medley of fruit, flower and wood... absolutely seamless. A friend recently gifted me with some vintage Chanel No. 5 in the EDT, and ARPÈGE seems closely related to it in composition, but rather sweeter, fruitier and tangy-er than the aloof No. 5. Sophisticated, feminine and classical, ARPÈGE is alluring, magisterial and yes...sexy. I don't know what kind of musk(s) are being used here, but I suspect there is real ambergris in this, and some of the now-famous macrocyclic vintage musks. Black pepper is not referenced in the "official" olfactive pyramid, but a hint of it is surely here, as is lemon, and I believe, myrrh. There is also a faint hint of dusty/spicy French thyme....and maybe a whisper of slightly licorice-y tarragon.

cwolf
cwolf

Don't judge a perfume by its harsh opening.
Arpege is rather harsh to start with. On me, its a scratchy blast of bergamot, aldehydes, and Jasmin. That being said, its not unbearable.
But the drydown is something else! This is one of the few white florals I can wear, that doesn't turn into a sour chemical bomb. I find Arpege intruiging and well blended, its sophisticated, evening gown kind of perfume but I'm enjoying wearing it with jeans and a tshirt right now.
Its one hour since I sprayed and I'm enveloped by a beautiful white floral with a touch of ylang ylang giving it some creaminess, the peach smells like human skin, but without vanilla its not a sweet candy peach, its a fresh, tart peach. My favourite part of this phase is the grassy vetiver, it really blends everything toghether and gives a crisp, green accord. Another thing that manifests itself on my skin is cinnamon - it is not ever listed in the notes but I can smell it. Not the sweet kind, the dry, woody kind. The final phase is a faint sandalwood, amber and vetiver - I get a hint of spiciness too - must be the carnation. Arpege is a beautiful perfume! It is not linear, its surprising, it unfolds on you - this is why I love the vintages!

shushkin
shushkin

I respect all the fragrantica reviews so I felt obliged to try Arpege. I bought a little miniature off EBAY. YIKES! It smelt overwhelming on me. So strong and heavy, even the drydown and sillage. An old ladies perfume. Then again my glamorous Gran wore Je Revien and Soir de Paris and always smelt lovely. If still with us she would have made a 100 next year so these were the perfumes of her youth.
It reminds me of Estee Lauder Youth Dew. My Mum bought me the solid perfume of Youth Dew way back in the early 80s. I remember screwing up my face with the first whiff. Who knows what my Mum was thinking.
It just goes to prove that scent smells so differently on each of us. You have to try it to see if it works for you.

yelena.gorelova
yelena.gorelova

I have a limited edition in blue bottle. Trying to find notes and how much the limited EDP differs from an original composition. Still didn't succed... HELP!!!

atiet97
atiet97

Arpege is beautiful, an ageless classic. You need to have an open mind to understand her beauty. Or else you'll get away from it and say "Ughh, it's grandma's type and so on".

From the bottle, you could smell the honeyed-like juice. When you spray, Arpege opens up your olfactory journey with the famous powdery aldehydes. Old, and musty one might refer this to, but for me the opening represents warmth, a soft caress or mom's hug. Cozy, loveable and best worn at cold weather.

People do constantly compare this to Chanel No. 5, and I have nothing against that. However, the topnotes always reminds me a lot of YSL Rive Gauche.....which minutes later, layered by the sweetness juice of Celine Magic. It's basically a powdery soft tap (not punch) of aldehydes with dominant notes of rose + jasmin + ylang and the mouthwatering base of sandalwood, amber and vanilla. The best of Arpege surely is and without a doubt, the drydown. I'd die in happines everytime it reach the base notes. Love love love!

Alle Homme

I fall in love again and again. My all time favorite.

ivyheel
ivyheel

Good grief, this is ahhhh-mazing. I avoided it for so long thinking it would be stuffy and old, but it's incredibly light and happy and feminine. It has sparkly aldehydes on top, which soon evaporate to reveal a very warm honey-peach type of scent. Also, this is affordable and lasts forever on skin and on clothes. When I spray it in my hair it persists for well over 12 hours and leaves a charming, feminine dry-down. I'm so glad I crossed paths with Arpege!

susannea
susannea

My 50ml bottle of Edp just arrived this morning bought in anEbay auction for £10. What!? This scent is just fabulous and should have cost me a fortune. It's so timeless and beautiful. This is the easiest to wear of the classic perfumes and the most modern. It has stood the test of time and will do in future. Lanvin for me are the best fragrance house bar none.

muskymale
muskymale

This was Marilyn Monroe's second favourite perfume.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Airy, clean aldehydes open the scent. They do a great job of upholding the white florals which are the star of the scent. Classic, timeless, beautiful but strong -- use a gentle hand. A bold scent but unforgettable.

Scout
Scout

I picked up a bottle at the recommendation of a Fragrantican. I have to wonder how old mine is or if it has turned...It doesn't look like the bottle in the picture. It is a darker golden amber-colored, not light yellow. There's no evaporation, however. Anyway....
Interesting, this one. When I first opened and sprayed it, I was put off. It smelled "old lady" and heavy. I shelved it for a couple days and tried again this morning.
Against he backdrop of a freshly-brewed pot of coffee wafting through my house, this smells sweet and round. Not syrupy or sickly like many of today's sweet smells, just full and enveloping.
Oddly the vision that went through my head was that of walking into a doctor's office first thing in the morning for that early 8am appointment. It is clean in the background, coffee is brewing in the kitchen room (my house with the coffee clearly), and the ladies are all showing up for their shift freshly showered and made up with powder on their faces, their perfume filling the air. This the dimension Arpege added. Not offensive, yet feminine.
Yet this is also sweetly romantic. I can see someone going on a date who wants to impress her lover in the early stages of their relationship wanting to wear this. It is innocent and seductive.
In a spectrum of heaviness, this is on the same end as a Youth Dew, Opium (without the smoke), Raffinee, but sweeter and lighter like a L'Air du Temps. Powder is strong here, but what I like about it is that it is not abrasive whatsoever. It is sweet like powder but not rough or scratchy. Smooth, smooth, smooth.
This feels very very familiar but is not recognizable like a screaming "White Diamonds" type of scent. It is subtle and if I were to walk past a woman wearing it I would think "oh that's nice" not "oh geez, she's put on too much perfume."
I don't get the comparison to Chanel No. 5, except maybe No. 5 Premiere. No 5 on me turns metallic and tarnishy. This stays sweet.
I can see it being overpowering if too much is worn, or worn in warmer humid weather. This is a cool weather scent, to be done in moderation.

resonant.sillage
resonant.sillage

Lanvin Arpege !
What to say .... !

Its vintage but not vintage.
Its a lil loud but also soft .
It feels like you know this smell but when applied the fragrance shows some different colors .
Its sharp and tangy but also sweet and mellow .
Its elegant , sophisticated , classy .
The first inhale I had of this fragrance took me to my mum's and grand dad's days and I had that nostalgic smile !
But then I saw my self wearing it and basking in the glory of feminity and a good class this fragrance embodies itself with !

Its for the women of confidence with a panache and attitude of her own .
Feminine yet demands Authority !!

Longevity is around 6-8 hrs and sillage is Moderate for me !

jake.shouse
jake.shouse

Ty Tragedy.... It has lasted longer on my shirt so maybe it is light but still heavy enough for others too smell! TY!

TragedyInsane
TragedyInsane

There isn't supossed to be a difference between the transparent bottle vs. the black bottle, it was just an update on the presentation. I do have the black bottle and it seems to last all day long for me, but you know classic scents are most likely to be defined by the smell of your own skin, maybe it does not work as well as it should for you.

jjtimmy
jjtimmy

Beautiful scent, but it does not work on me! Full bottle up for swap (the new black bottle)-PM me if interested.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I decided to re-review this wonderful perfume now I’ve lived with it and got to know its development and moods a little better.

What’s outstanding about Arpege for me is its sensitivity to skin. There’s a subtly different dry-down depending on a variety of factors – mood, where it’s sprayed and so on. The one thing people are mostly agreed on is it’s classic aldehydic opening – strongly scenty in the old-school French way and, to me, most similar to Van Cleef and Arpel’s ‘First’. I enjoy the unabashed ‘perfuminess’ of the opening – but felt it was one of those that couldn’t be worn easily due to the old fashioned feel.

But, as it dries down, this is where its unique and lovely qualities emerge - a pure jasmine absolute, astringent damp green vetiver, tawny dry mimosa (not listed in notes above) a light glow of sweet amber resins and a subtle, angelic almost Apre l’Ondee-like violet

The fascinating thing is that each of these notes emerges differently every time. Today for example, vetiver is centre-stage, a few days ago I was tantalised by soft violets, previously by the depth of quality jasmine (rich and animalic). Today’s vetiver is lightly green, dry and smoky and it occurs to me that Luca Turin’s slightly negative reviews of Infusion d’Iris and Arpege are down to the fact he doesn’t feel vetiver is a feminine scent. Why gender it?! Aren’t women also allowed to lose themselves in its forest-like loaminess?!

I’ve no doubt some people would find Arpege a bit too classic, but its loveable French scentiness has won my heart, it’s a keeper.

Silage, first hour – massive aldehydes (two hours in, quite soft). Longevity excellent, around 6 – 7 hours or more

I find the aldehydic jasmine at the start more similar to First, Van Cleef & Arpels than #5.

The jasmine is very high quality, similar to jasmine absolutes I've had over the years. So it's an indolic/fecal jasmine which always reminds me a little of fully opened, ripe star gazer lilies (the huge white edged ones with pink centre)- far more than lily perfumes usually do (lily perfumes seem to retain a certain 'cleaness'). Having said that, there's no obvious civet in this and it shares very little in common with Patou's Joy other than the white florals

The aldehydes begin to fade after about 20 minutes as does the animalic jasmine and I do see why it's called Arpege in the way it develops quite rapidly, I detect mimosa in this, and in combination with the warm light amber it's definitely sweet, very warm. The mimosa is fuzzy, almost dried-herb like, or perhaps that's partly the amber effect.(Mimosa isn't included in the notes here, but it is on other sites)

I think people looking for more evident sandalwood would prefer Bois des Iles as it's more a subtle backdrop here, adding a subtle touch of suede-like depth and I imagine the vintage perfume has a richer more woody/amber depth. The vetiver is subtle too, and by this stage (after about 30 minutes to an hour) the entire perfume has melded into a warm, tawny floral amber with a lovely hint of indolic jasmine.(I know there are other florals in this but they're merged subtly so the only one I pick out as obvious are jasmin and mimosa, others float in and out in, and violet adds a delicate powdery touch at times)

Luca Turin suggests this would make a good masculine, but I'm not sure about that, though of course anyone can wear it, it's just that I'd say it's more typically/traditonally feminine in its sweet musky haze. The longer it's worn the more pleasing it becomes, so if you're looking for a perfume that's slightly old-fashioned in its 'scentiness' yet not at all dusty or vintage face powder at any point, this is perfect in its French perfumey feel. (It's quite different from Chanel #5 which is a far more cool and 'distant' perfume, though the scenty elegance has similarities, so if you like #5 in summer this might be the one for you in Autumn/Winter)

I'm looking forward to wearing it on wool-clad Autumn days when there's a nip of frost in the air, and on days like that, Arpege's light, warm scentiness is going to feel beautiful.
(Thanks to @andreabutler11 for swap!:)

heymoe9
heymoe9

Raised by an attractive divorced mother, Friday and Saturday night dates were standard.
I would love to watch her get ready and end the ritual with her liberal spritz of arpege.

Unfortunately we had a bird that loved to sit on her dresser and talk to the bottle. When he got frisky he would tip it over and roll it to the edge of the dresser and push it off.
This happened one too many times and it eventually broke.

It became a tradition from then on to buy my mom a bottle of arpege for christmas every year. The wonderful scent of it always brings back loving memories of my mom, oh, and of the bird also.

andreabutler111
andreabutler111

I bought this blind after all the fabulous reviews. Oh dear :-( dreadful it smells terrible on my skin.
Please message me if any one wants to swop.

LGG
LGG

An ageless, stunning and beautiful classic, no wonder one of the original taglines was "very simply the most beautiful gift in the world"

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Oh, I'm like the princess in 'the princess and the pea'...only not! I read all of these beautiful reviews, see all of these beautiful notes, and think "if I can appreciate that lovely fragrance, I must be a real princess." But I can't. So I must not have a "real" "princess" nose or skin; I'm simply not able to appreciate some of these complex, vintage, high-aldehyde fragrances. All I smell is a strange, bitter-sour note which I associate with the wrong (for me) kinds of white flowers, but also with aldehydes; and a faint powdery note with a bit of indistinct flowers. Sadly, I also get a hint of urine (the only "pee" I can sense!) It really does not develop (have had it on or 4 hours) on my skin, and still does not smell good at all. So sad! I wish I were really a princess, able to appreciate these lovely fragrances.

gabriel.villa
gabriel.villa

Arpège... oh, Arpège! One of the most beautiful perfumes I have ever tried... certainly one of the most beautiful fragrances in the world!

If you know the story about it, then you know Arpège was created by the couturière Jeanne Lanvin with perfumers André Fraysse and Paul Vacher for Jeanne's daughter as a gift in her 30th birthday.

Arpège is eternal, like mother's love for their children. A mother always love a son and a daughter. A woman should always wear Arpège, because it represents the love I mentioned and love itself... and it represents the most precious femininity of a woman.

When we open that black and gold box, we find the round black and gold bottle, like an sphere, an apple, which also represents femininity, or like the Moon in the dark sky of the night... and that picture of mother and daughter getting ready for a ball... oh, so divine!

An when we spray the perfume on, oh... it's a scent which really seems to tell us the story about itself. The first thing I smell when I spray Arpège on my skin is a veil of fresh aldehydes mixing with aldehydic peach and honeysuckle. It's one of the most pleasent openings I have smelled in a perfume. It's so elegant, so sober, so refined and so amazing... when I wear Arpège by night and leave my house, I walk through the dark streets smelling that heavy freshness and I feel so fashionable, and so modern, it's something that really reminds me of the 1920s. And then the floral bouquet begins to show its first qualities, and I smell tuberoses with coriander. Lots of coriander, and the roses going, just a little bit of jasmine to my nose, and other flowers keep going in the beautiful arpeggio. Yes, the notes go one by one, like an arpeggio. Marie-Blanche choose the name perfectly. And then I smell the iris, and then comes its floral woody leathery kind of smell. Also, here appears the first powdery tone of the perfume too. Arpège now smells pretty much like old fashion make up smell; like rice powder or facial powders in general. That tone is not really strong in the perfume, though. Yesterday a cousin of mine told me I smelled like baby with Arpège, but I don't agree with him at all, since Arpège is really strong and since I smell make up in it, not talc. Still in Jeanne Lanvin's bouquet, I smell ylang-ylang, and it gives a smoky incensed thing to the fragrance, and the ylang-ylang is followed by patchouli, benzoin and vetiver, which keeps the smokyness of the perfume and its woody side, as well.

Wearing Arpège is like going back to the 1920s. The balls, the night clubs, the Jazz, the Charleston, the Tango, the economic prosperity... it also reminds me a graceful lady, extremely chic and stylish, applying her make up, wearing her aldehydic perfume and going to a party with other people dancing, smoking... it could be the mother, with her husband; it also could be their daughter, trying to be like the mother. Arpège has the paradox mature and young at the same time... serious and carefree. Pretty much like a mother and her daughter.

Be careful with Arpège, because it's potent. It's not soft at all, it's not gentle, no. If you put it on, probably you will be smelling it for several hours, it lasts perfectly on me. And it projects like a monster. It might suffocate you if you spray more than you should.

Lets smell this beautiful orchestra. This arpeggio, this succession of olfactive notes which makes us feel so many things... that's Arpège.

dnnhts.00@gmail.com

I love this scent when the weather is cold. I don't think it smells like Chanel No 5 at all. Sure, the aldehyde is there, but it's really just enough to balance the sweetness of the fowers and the spiciness of the sandalwood, vanilla, coriander, and vetiver. The overall effect is very warm and comforting.
If you thought Chanel No 5 was too harsh, try Arpege.

stormyla
stormyla

There have been a few times during the past 40 years when my collection has been missing a bottle of Arpege, but those times have never lasted very long. I don't know if or how many times it may have been reformulated, but each bottle has contained a magical elixir!

This fragrance never fails to draw comments and compliments. People are always so surprised when I name it. Younger folks have never heard of it and older folks often tell me their own Arpege and My Sin stories. I believe that the ad slogan from the 60's is probably the best perfume slogan ever made.

I recently wore this to the gym and during my workout, 4 men and 3 women asked what it was. They all liked it and were unfamiliar with it.

People seem to want to liken it or compare it to Chanel N05. I can only abide No5 in extrait form and even then find it quite dissimilar to Arpege. Chanel seems a more stifled formal scent, while Arpege seems much livelier and certainly sexier.

For the most part, I wear all of my fragrances year round. I tend to wear Arpege more in the winter, maybe it's a result of all of those long ago pre Christmas commercials advising men to "promise her anything, but give her Arpege"!

I usually wear the EDP which has excellent sillage and lasts 7+ hours for me. This is a fragrance that the younger set should definitely embrace. The price is a good value too.

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

What a beautiful, classic fragrance. I love vintage perfumes, but few of them wear very well on me. Chanel No. 5, Oscar, Madame Rochas, all smell sour and/or suffocatingly aldehydic. Arpege is somewhat lighter than the others, and much more balanced on my skin. It has all the aspects of a vintage fragrance that I love without any of the drawbacks. As a woman in my 20's I feel very comfortable wearing this fragrance, which cannot be said about my attempts with many other older fragrances. It is graceful, feminine, composed and timeless. Definitely a "love it" for me!

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

For me this is the love child of Van Cleef and Arpels First and Chanel No.5 Edt. I love both, I had both and it's good to know that there are fragrances that are similar like Arpege and just as beautiful. I can definitely smell the aldehydes, the sort of frozen flowers, and I can actually smell civet in this I don't know why.

It starts with a bite like most aldehydes do then settle into a nice comfortable classy skin scent with flowers. The only thing I may not like about this is that the flowers turn kind of fecal on my skin. Chanel No. 5 Edt and First don't do that. But that is a matter of chemistry I guess and not the juice's fault. On its own, it is beautiful.

MeganFrankie
MeganFrankie

I first learned of Arpege fragrance through watching the beautiful, wonderfully stylish but ultimately tragic movie 'A Single Man'. In it, the protagonist (played by Colin Firth) is utterly broken-hearted by the sudden death of his lover. Drowning in grief, he wanders through his everyday life as a university academic seeing little pieces of life with an especially vivid and poignant clarity. On meeting his secretary he is overwhelmed at how beautiful she seems and tells her charmingly, to her surprise, how fresh and lovely she always looks. 'Hmmmm, Arpege!' he remarks, sniffing the air appreciatively.

Well I ordered that Arpege perfume immediately, not caring whether it was a chypre, or would it suit me or even that prior to this I hardly ever bothered about perfume. I just wanted to be at work, fresh-faced and perfectly made-up and immaculately dressed and wearing Arpege.

I have worn it for some years now and have accumulated a number of perfumes since that I'm more fond of, but Arpege is still a mystery to me as to why it is a perfume at all. Maybe that's why I keep wearing it. It doesn't have that perfunctory sweetness I hitherto attributed to perfume. It's heady floral bouquet of jasmine, honey-suckle, Lily of the Valley and Ylang-Ylang is wrapped up with an intensely sharp, clean powderiness and pungency of I suppose spices, wood and musk base notes that cuts like a knife. A review remarked that it is like the same bunch of spring flowers in Chanel No.5 that have sat in the vase for a few days more. Maybe that's it. But I've never come across a scent quite like it and find it hard to describe.

There is something aged, marinated and fermented about Arpege, and yet it always seems so perennially fresh and alive. I wear it at work and it stays with me right through the day, keeping me alert, aware, but not in the least alarmed and always making me wonder just what is this thing about it...

lialu
lialu

A true classic. It is also true that the opening is horrendous! Do give it some time and it will soften to a wonderful scent, not to be mistaken for anything else. I don't get Chanel 5 at all. Enough sillage and great staying power. Since I shift between wearing Shalimar, L'heure Bleue and (for a modern touch) Miss Dior le parfum & Coco MME ed, this is a lovely alternative!! Actually think that fans of Coco Mme should like this one, even though they might miss the orange flower? Go know. :-)

EmilyTheStrange

I know I've already reviewed this but felt compelled to again.

I fall in love with this more and more each time I wear it, seriously. My little boy also seems to *love* this fragrance on me...as does my husband. I don't think I've said this in ANY review I've left on this site, but every grown woman who can wear aldehydes should have this in her collection. It's elegant, complex, deep beauty at it's very best.

scentsforme
scentsforme

This is a winter sent, but 10/10 but very nice!

varykino
varykino

Arpège turned out to be an unexpectedly emotional experience for me.

It was a blind buy. The first time I tried it on I was ambivalent about the opening. I can take or leave aldehydes, depending, but I settled in for the wait. And then, perhaps half an hour after application as the smooth sandalwood and florals were kicking in, I was hit by a shockingly clear scent memory of my dad, the way his hugs smelled right after he'd shaved and he'd put on his aftershave (not Arpège, I guarantee you — he was a conservative man in every aspect of his style.) I've no idea now what that scent was, even though the bottle was always there in our bathroom closet and I must have seen it hundreds of times. I really wish I could remember.

My dad passed away eight years ago. The association was so vivid and bitter-sweet that I put that beautiful black bottle away and avoided it for months. But yes, I've no problem seeing what Turin and Sanchez meant when they named Arpège among their top ten feminines for men. Because it smells of my dad's hugs, and they smelled masculine, protective and amazing.

I've finally started wearing Arpège. I still get the same vivid memory of my dad's warm, smooth-shaven hug, wafting in and out of the heart notes and the drydown, but I've found it's not a bad thing at all, now that I'm prepared. Arpège is mainly about creamy, spicy sandalwood, to me, after the aldehydes settle down, although the floral notes (jasmine, iris) add depth and sweetness to the composition. It reminds me of my violin that I had as a teen when I took music lessons — the scent of aromatic wood and powdery sweet resin when I opened the case, and Arpège's classic composition also makes me think of the classical music my dad adored.

All in all, for me Arpège is rich with personal associations that are anything but cool and aloof, and maybe that's why it feels ultimately so approachable and comfortable on me, and why the iconic image of mother and child on the bottle speaks to me so much. It's unisex by virtue of notes that court a man's and a woman's skin chemistry differently, and despite the whiffs of aftershave, it comes across fully feminine on my skin; polished and soft, sensual and classy. I find it a very beautiful, versatile perfume. I wear it with jeans to run errands, or with tailored clothes for an effortless touch of class if I'm going somewhere special. And wherever I take it, it makes me feel the safety of loving arms around me.

Bazrob

This truly is a stunning perfume which I adore.
Apparently it was a favourite of the late Princess Grace of Monaco - no wonder it's as gorgeous as she was.
It is sultry & exotic but I don't see a similarity with L'Aimant, which I haven't worn since I was a teenager. Maybe it's just how it reacts with my own skin oils.
Anyway,Arpège is truly gorgeous & I'd recommend it to any woman who wants to feel extra special!

EmilyTheStrange

Wow. Rarely am I surprised by perfumes these days...but wow. This is the first time I can truly say I am in complete awe of a fragrance. To say I love this, and to say that I'm impressed by it just wouldn't do Lanvin's Arpege justice.

This is one of the most beautiful perfumes in the world - this is everything I wanted Chanel No. 5 to be, and it's better in every way to my nose. I LOVE this. This is the first adelydic fragrance I can wear, and I think it will also be the only one for quite some time. What an eye opener this has been for me...I tend to stay away from scents like this but I am happy that I gave this a go.

Timeless, classic, elegant and ORIGINAL. I will never, ever be without a bottle of this. STUNNING fragrance - and there is just something so very special about this one. I'm a 30 year old mother of a wonderful, gorgeous, special/high needs little boy...the image on the bottle makes me remember just that :) and the fragrance somehow does as well. It's strong, it's brave, it's complex...and it's honestly just a gift in a bottle.

Sorry for rambling...but I think this may be "the one" (other than my signature scent) ♥

boruvka44
boruvka44

EDP in the gorgeous art deco black flacon: soft, smooth, balanced, powdery, feminine (not fake), such simply and quietly beautiful.
The opening is heavy on aldehydes (like a twin of No. 5 or Ysatis - the diluter kind) with a lot of ylang. And it´s kind of dark and intoxicating (Poison or Fracas?) This stage lasts and lasts. Then those aldehydes finally start to tame and let sandalwood with a hint of flowers and spices take over.
After some hours Arpege turns 180° from heavy aldehydic white flowers to fruity oriental. Beautiful mix of dried apricots or peaches with a touch of cloves and coriander.
I have never experienced such thing with any other perfume in my whole life. It´s like 2 totaly different perfumes!
Who has the patience (requires liking the opening:) to wait for 2 hours+, will be rewarded with natural smelling sweet dried fruits.

One of those perfumes, that has to be worn on skin only. On fabric or a paper strip it never moves from the initial aldehydic smell.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

Very very upscale. A fragrance from yesteryear (oh man I'm old), were the 70's that long ago? It reminds me of smells from that era. So, it's a reminiscence smell on me. I see the similarities with Chanel No. 5. It's pretty strong, so I read somewhere just spray it on a cotton swab and dab. Sure is different than all the counter fragrances today except perhaps Aromatics Elixir. It's a dress up fragrance to me, not for everyday. Give it a try if you have not. With a light hand....that is...

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

AWESOME!!!
Wow, now we're talking!

This is really going well with my chemistry--

I am sampling this fragrance to see if I can detect if this is similar to First, one of my all time favorite fragrances. A few people hinted at the fact that this had similar notes to First, so sign me up! First is one of the fragrances that I have consecutively had the most compliments on.

This is warm, but a shade or two less warm than the fragrances that have a lot of cinnamon in the base, such as Chanel's Coco or Timeless by Avon.

I'm sensing a very heavy base note, it draws me in and grounds the fragrance chord. This is nice. The name "Arpeg" comes directly from the musical term Arpeggio. When I smell the fragrance I definitely understand where the name comes from.

So far, so good - this is setting up extremely well on my skin. I will have to see how this unfolds! So far, it is AWESOME!

--------------

I tried this beside "First" to compare the two. The first couple of hours - Arpege is much more alluring, but an interesting thing happens after the first 2 hours. First takes on a very sweet smelling lift that I really love, perhaps it is the musk. Arpege is less alluring after the first couple of hours, but seems all business. It could be a great fragrance to wear on days when you are needing to say "all business".

drugstore classics

A darkly mysterious Magnum Opus..........

The Black bottle is most fitting.

LYRICAL!

raffy1925
raffy1925

this perfume seems like a timeless classic wore by aristocratic matured woman. a woman with strong personality....

Latindancer
Latindancer

Just sampled it on paper today, and it smells almost exactly like those fragranced wet towels in packets that you'll get in high end chinese restaurants! Very soapy, powdery kind of scent. Like expensive perfume talc. And I do agree that it is a feminine and timeless scent. Also classy and mature, but I am on the fence about investing in this one. Definitely a very unique scent though, have yet to smell any perfume like this.

polecat
polecat

Modern EDP (Black Bottle)

Heady, smooth, heady, creamy, indolic, rich, classy and feminine. Yes, really! Arpege is ALL of those things. I surrounds you in a mother's embrace, a mother who knows how to support you emotionally and make you feel safe. It even has a slightly motherly smell.

We don't all have a mother who is still with us, or one who knows how to give us that hug when it's needed. This perfume is one I will surely invest in a 100ml of someday.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

I love Lanvin Arpege. I had a small bottle with no spray and found that just two or three dabs on the neck last all day long with no need to refresh it. In fact, it smells even better at the end of the day than it does at the start.

It's one of those perfumes that I think smells better dabbed than sprayed.

Fantastic depth, heady and thick, changing and evolving, with a hint of dark florals, kept Oriental by the Patchouli and Amber. Gorgeous and very classy.

Lubylikes
Lubylikes

My 6 year old daughter loves Arpege but for me the first half hour is a dreadful reformulation induced headache. So I am at great pains to teach my daughter to "Spritz lightly, Lovely!". She is slowly getting it and I am slowly getting past that aldehydic and honeysuckle oblivion to the fleeting heart of Arpege which is quite lovely rosy, ylang ylang & jasmine.

On me those horrid top notes are the most predominant part of the fragrance and the first spray is inevitably followed by cries of "who sprayed perfume everywhere?"...oh, well. The dry down is very close to the skin on me, a lovely melange but hardly worth the effort involved in getting there. I imagine the original formulation is quite something sublime but for the moment I get greater joy in the lovely black bottle.

margien
margien

I love this scent. Classy, complete, interesting, full-bodied, powerful, long lasting. In the same range as Chanel no.5, but a bit more spicy (carnation? not mentioned). I notice a resemblance with First from Van Cleef & Arpels(which is lighter, fresher), I think it is narcissus but again that is not listed in the notes?
Beautiful perfume... Will be one of my favourites!

(btw: I recognize what it said about the fecal notes, but this is a matter of concentration: in nature, when you smell flowers (and I remember this from my own experience), sometimes when you are very close, or when there is a lot of them blooming, it smells like 'poop' indeed, but less concentrated, or from a distance, the nicer smell, the appreciated flowery scent is discernible!)

Fizzy
Fizzy

Smells exactly like Chanel No.5, EdP. I have full black bottle 100 ml/3.3 oz. for swap. Anyone interested? Please message me.

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

My Easter gift this year was a beautiful egg shaped bottle of Arpege. I wore this when I was in my teens, yes I had expensive and sophisticated taste back then!
The beautiful black box with gold lettering has remained unopened for a few days, but now the time has come.
So, I was excited and a little afraid that this might not live up to my expectations.
The bottle looks fabulous, black and gold. Beautiful packaging. So far so good. Here goes... Wow! Amazing! Yes! I love it, I absolutely love it!
How pleased I am, and so relieved too , on first sniff it is just as exquisite as I recall! Soft fruity and floral and powdery. So feminine. So elegant. So sexy. So me. I have fallen In love with it all over again. I almost want to cry it is so beautiful. Like a softer and subtler version of Chanel 5.
Why did I wait so long? My new signature perfume!

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

During a trip along Oregon Coast, I found a parfum at an antique store but passed as I had not sniffed it before. Today, I found it at Holt Renfrew. Oh wow! Aldehydes with ylang-ylang and softened by amber. It reminded me of Chanel No5 (which I like) so the SA had me compare it side by side. Similar but different - definitely in the same vein. I'm glad to have both Arpege and No5 (Eau Premiere) in my closet now. If you like classic perfumes like I do, you might want to try this.It has been more than five hours now, the scent has lost its aldehydes and all that is left are florals. Love it!

One spray on me,
Sillage: about a foot
Longevity: more than 5 hours and softens to flowers at the end

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

...But I don't like aldehydes! Or white florals! Or patchouli! What's going on here? I'm confused! It has this beautiful powdery floral opening, and I get a little bit of aldehyde in that, but the indoles others are detecting don't seem to come out on me the way they have in other white florals in the past. I couldn't be happier with it.

joliecat
joliecat

The current formulation of Arpege at first spray is harsh, with strong aldehydes that create intensely dry dusty sweet woody effect with dry sweet florals similar to the effect of potpurri. Quite an unpleasant shock at first, but if you wait 15 to 30 minutes, the sweetness of the florals bloom and soft sandalwood becomes more apparent. At this point, Arpege settles much closer to skin and becomes softer and quite pretty.
Still, ( as thenightflyer's review states), Arpege remains a "gauzy" fragrance. There is a sweet but very dry lightly powdery note that holds on through the drydown, probably due to the corriander, iris and vetiver blend. Overall, Arpege is a sweet floral, tempered with a dry dusty aspect.
Arpege is interesting, feminine, unique, with 12 + hours of lasting power. Silage is moderate to soft once the first spray settles down.
If you like a sweet, dry, extra-long-lasting floral without any juicy fruity notes, Arpege is a good choice.

wingsofcindy
wingsofcindy

I had this fragrance back in the early 80s, and I felt so sophisticated wearing it. That was until I was sitting at my desk one day and one of the guys in my department walked past and asked if someone had recently sprayed fly spray. I'd just sprayed some Arpege on myself in readiness of going out. I felt so deflated, and never wore it again...

thenightflyer
thenightflyer

Well, I can't say that I completely agree with the comparisons to No.5,although I understand that both are from the same fragrance family(aldehydic florals)their character is different. I like the loose cascade of the gauzy notes which unfurl in secession. I can't speak for the vintage formulation, but the modern extrait that I used to wear, was a peachy soft, dry floral, with a whispering and distinct tuberose supported supported with ruby damasks and sumptuous jasmine blossoms. It is overcast with a kind of beige palour and possesses an edible toasty quality at distances.An antidote to some of the more apologetic(wan) male and female fragrances out there. And one of the few to make people notice without the typical contrivances...

carolleelou
carolleelou

I tried this because of the comments on how similar it was to Chanel No. 5. I am sad to say that I absolutely hated it. I simply adore No 5. While remotely similiar at first, after the drydown, the honeysuckle on me was so overwhelming it made me want to vomit. It was just too overpowering. I was disappointed because there are so many wonderful reviews, but alas, not for me.

Bazrob

Gorgeous,sensuous fragrance.I've been using it sparingly but sadly have finally run out but I know my gorgeous husband will buy me some more.He bought it in a coffret together with some Arpège body cream & I always felt soooo extra feminine & luxuriant when I wore them.
He buys all my perfumes & fragrances & has exquisite taste. He tells me I'm in good company because as well as being one of my all time favourites it was also a favourite of Princess Grace of Monaco!
She was so beautiful - just like this fragrance.

rasken
rasken

My favorite of all time. Longlasting. Just perfekt for my skin. Not for summer.

StarMagix

I still have some of the vintage fragrance of this one and it is still fresh and lovely. This is like the sister fragrance to My Sin. I wore this one along with My Sin in High School. It is a wonderful soft scent. I hope my two bottles of these two vintage scents last me a lifetime because I am unsure if the newer version would be the same.

mary.blumreich
mary.blumreich

I wore Arpege and My Sin in the last of the fifties and sixties. My husband bought Arpege for me because he liked the scent and so did I. Now, I suppose, it has been reformulated and I haven't sniffed it in a very long time. I wonder why perfume houses change scents so much. Is it because original ingredients become hard to find, too expensive to buy anymore, or just because they cater to a more modern clintele? I don't understand really and wondered if anyone had the answer.

drugstore classics

What a confusing scent - search!

My previous review still here ~ I must add that I've now tried 3 different bottles of Arpege, and each one was different!

The clear mini was soured, the carded sample was concentrated, dark, and bitter.

Then I hit paydirt! This Black Bottle of liquid loveliness settles like warmth itself on my skin. I smell honeysuckle, and the PERFECT blending of iris with exquisite summer florals.

Wood undergirds the whole composition, creating a womanly and sophisticated aura that people won't soon forget.

Wear it, and create memories........ FIVE Stars!

dbrii24
dbrii24

I absolutely adore Arpege! It's such a feminine, french powerhouse. I can see how it may not be everyone's cup of tea; especially if you are into sweeter scents or aren't used to sophisticated and complex fragrances. When you first inhale Arpege, it instantly transports you to a red carpet where motion picture era Hollywood bombshells Jean Harlow, Lauren Bacall and Jayne Mansfield are strutting past a press line with a silage of Arpege floating through the air. It is class, glamour and sophistication. Arpege is distinct and in no way similar to Chanel No.5 ...it's an era in a bottle.

zosoroxy

Even though I'm (well) into my 40's, I'd never heard of Arpege until discovery ~ 2 yrs. ago, & even now, I continue to be absolutely enchanted, every time I open the bottle! This juice is pure magic. I've read that in prior decades, Arpege was the world's 2nd best-selling perfume- 2nd only to it's competetive aldehydic floral sister, Chanel #5- The 'fume Arpege is most frequently compared to/with- Because they are both top selling, world-reknowned (except, apparently, to mass-market bombarded Americans), early Aldehydic Floral bouquets.

I prefer Arpege over #5. I NEVER buy #5 anymore- Arpege is a better fit for me fragrance-wise, and, it's practically free!!! It's richer, deeper, darker, and wears with much more presence, sillage, & longevity. Plus, Lanvin practically GIVES it away. I've read also, that vtg. Arpege is a reference perfume for one that's said to "age well". So, if you have a bottle that's 70 yrs. old or so, and it was stored properly, it may smell divinely incredible... I've also read, repeatedly, on many well-respected perfume forums/blogs, that despite our well-founded tendency to slam reform's as ruinous, or mere ghosts of former perfume finery at best- In contrast, Arpege's 1993 reformulation is an uncommonly well-done perfume- And, although different than the original, is a respectful homeage to the original, and stands on it's own as a world class, 5/5 rated perfume.

I have both vintage, and current (TONS of both!), and indeed, I find them both absolute life-long must-haves. I live in the Syracuse, NY region, where it is FREEZING, and Arpege wears like a constant, warm hug.

For anyone interested, here are the squarish, clear glass/black cap embossed w/ mother/daughter logo, vtg. Extrait box #'s:
#868 = 1/4 oz.
#869 = 1/2 oz. (15 gr.)
#828 = 1 oz. (28 gr.)
#870 = 2 oz. (54 gr.)

Arpege has historically come in a wide variety of concentrations- It is the ultimate, definitive, classic French parfum, intended to be layered. The glass top/dauber that adorns the classic/collector black boulle (black glass dap-on extrait) is meant to apply just a trace of the extrait onto the skin. And, indeed, I do find it wears gloriously when layered! From toes, on up feet, ankles, inside flanks of lower legs & thighs, on up up up, around torso, under/between the girls, accross upper chest/collarbone/neckline up up back of neck, temples, hairline, in-hair (spray into scalp). I've read that this is the way French women wear perfume- Not only for your guy (or girl, or group, whatever!), close up & personal, but, because SCENT RISES.

Disclaimer- I'm a perfumeidiot. Only recently, over the past 2 yrs. or so, have I begun to explore fine perfumery, with the significant limitation (handicap?) of sampling only 'fumes within reasonable affordability range. (Which, admittedly, has risen once I discovered Miss Dior original, Diorissimo, Hermes Caleche, Mitsouko extrait, EL Private Collection, & others...)

Also, as an AmericanIdiot, I've been (incredibly lucky) to visit Europe for a month during my 20's (courtesy of my boyfriend, who had grown up summering in Switzerland throughout his entire childhood- courtesy of divorce, and a father whom worked for SwissAir/free air travel!)- While wandering cities and even smaller town streets, I was so stunned by the age of bulidings, towns, the sense of history, the architecture, and the slowed / non-work-centered culture- All the usual aspects that Americans are stunned to learn upon 1st visiting EU- What a revelation, to learn that the entire world does NOT in fact graduate college, only to work 3 soul-deadening, full time jobs to pay rent & save for retirement...(Actually, I loved my job waitressing & bartending at a small, family owned Chinese restaurant all through college!)

Back to perfume- Furthermore, when walking down a European city street, omg, everyone- men & women alike- are dressed to the nines, and smell SOOO good... I left with an oz. of Chanel #5 extrait, & the impression that while American women consider perfume an afterthought, or a special occasion indulgence, alternatively (and in stark contrast)- European women wouldn't dare even venture out to the mailbox without being fully "dressed" in fully pampered perfumage! Back home Stateside, I much later discovered, that the incredibly low price-point of Arpege indeed allows us to drench ourselves in daily fragrance finery :)

Conclusion- Thanks to all for allowing my freakish obsession w/ this treasure. BUY ARPEGE- Best value for the $ on the perfume market ever!
Sorry so long-winded. Thanks for letting me rant! :D

mymlan
mymlan

A powdery and slightly spicy floral aldehyde which smells a bit old fashioned. I like it but it is a bit too much for me regardless it's superb quality. Among the floral aldehydes I much prefer the softer, more floral and less spicy Chanel No 5 or Balenciaga Le Dix. Arpege reminds me of Ferre (round black bottle) and L'interdit edp.

qalupatra
qalupatra

Its nice smell. Identical to chanel n5. I have older extrait version that is very strong and gave me headache but I bet it has wonderful smell

allureveil

Another question: what do the numbers mean on the Arpege Extrait packages? For instance, No. 828, No. 869, etc.? Thanks.

allureveil

I just answered my own question by finding an SEC Newsletter dated November 1963 with the following text:
LANVIN-CHARLES OF THE RITZ SHARES IN REGISTRAnON. Lanvin-Parfuma, Inc., 767 Fifth Ave., New York,filed a registration statement (File 2-21884) with the SEC on November 14. seeking registration of 800,000shares of caommon stock of Lanvin-Charles of the Ritz, Inc., which will be the surviving corporation resulting from a merger of Charles of the Ritz, Inc. and with and into Lanvin-Parfums, Inc.
So now I will study the Arpege magazine ads closely with this information in mind.

allureveil

Is there a Fragrantica member with expertise about the diffferent Arpege bottles and labels who can identify the vintage of the fragrance based on that knowledge. By studying Arpege ads on eBay, I'm attempting to learn whether I'm purchasing a true vintage version or not. Did Charles of the Ritz acquire Lavin at some point? Or did they just buy the production of Arpege? When I was in high school in a very, very small Kansas town, I talked my boyfriend into giving me a quarter oz. of the parfum, and I'm trying to find that exact vintage. If only I had realized what a fragrance junkie I would become, I might have saved the bottle. Even growing up in "the sticks" I was wearing Casaque at basketball games, sitting in the pep club, because I had ordered sample minis via some ladies magazine, spending babysitting money! Fragrance is the epitome of Romance to me. Thanks for any tips.

PerfumedBrunette
PerfumedBrunette

Surprising, elegant, soothing, beautiful, complex, uplifting, comforting, interesting, feminine. That is what Arpege is to me. And what a beautiful bottle (the black one). I love this fragrance, from opening to drydown. I love that it does not smell contemporary. It brings with it something from a beautiful era, long ago, which many today cannot relate to. I frequently spray it on before going to bed, and in the morning what is still there is just so lovely.

judyk
judyk

I've just tested Charrier Trêve today (not listed here) and, to my nose, it's almost identical to Arpège. There seems to be one slightly sharper floral note in the Arpège but at a quick sniff I can't tell them apart. If I concentrate on it I think I actually like the Trêve better. It projects beautifully and lasts for ages (it's marked as 85% so I'm guessing it's edp). That said, Arpège is considerably cheaper. :-)

giocodeifiori
giocodeifiori

Could somebody advise,please,if "Eau Arpege" is different from "Arpege"?

Paraluman
Paraluman

Sweet powdery floral. The perfect date perfume imo. To wear with pearls, an a-line dress and a cardigan- the arsenals of a coquette ;)

This won't make you smell fresh and forgettable or vampy and slutty. It's like french perfumed talc underneath your sexy lingerie.
A man can't resist!:p

lalig
lalig

I dont like it. i bought it on line because it's a classic and i love Chanel #5 and Le Dix but Arpege has a certain note that smells a little poopy to me, like a baby diaper, that makes this fragrance unwearable for me.

Daisydukes

Please don't remove negative reviews. They are helpful to many of us who blind buy. I personally can't get past any "fecal" indoles. It really helps me when people mention smelling "poop" or "bad breath". Unpleasant but true. Thank you!

lemontreelime12
lemontreelime12

This is a true old school bombshell fragrance. Gorgeous on so many levels. Like Chanel No5, but different, and I suspect, better. This was my mother's go-to fragrance for being beautiful.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Arpege is an unnerving child.

Arriving at the neat counterfeit of a country cottage that is her parents' - your dear friend Andre and his wife Jeanne - 'little piece of Laguedoc in the suburbs' - she comes across as willful, headstrong, almost unhinged.

Asked to collect flowers for the house from the Fraysee's beautiful garden she (Margaret is her given name, used exclusively by her mother when upset with her, which is often) turns almost feral, a teen on a chemical kick she rushes around the manicured borders (themselves pretending after the style of rural meadows) pulling up plants careless of their complexion or the destruction she is reeking.

Eventually she dumps them all: Jasmine, Rose, Iris, Lily, Lily of the Valley and even the precious camelias from the cloche in a series of unwashed carafes still sour with the stench of last night's rough white wine.

In the music room, where she places three flower rammed vessels in a row atop an apparently out of tune upright piano the smell is approaching the unbearable.

When Arpege starts to hammer out her chromatic scales, you notice that it is her playing and not the instrument that is off-key, and more to the point quite deliberately.

You exchange a sly smile with the daughter of the house: she is affecting inability as accurately as only a truly useful musician can.

What feels like a brief conversation follows and she excuses herself to change for dinner.

Talking politics and the economy and the desperate state of things since the crash as the women prepare, Andre teaches you a new aperitif - vanilla Martinis - the latest American way of forgetting.

Jeanne enters, elegant as ever.

Then Arpege, her hair tied up and and held in place with? With a pencil, an artist's pencil. At dinner she grows with a glass of wine in hand into what you realise she now is: a young woman. Well read, she speaks eloquently of Eliot and that woman Woolf and fragrant. Is it her mother's sandalwood or father's vetiver that envelopes her?.

After the meal you retire to sweet Amaretto's and sweeter Chopin, played by the same delicate hands that earlier tore up roots with such urgency and blundered through elementary piano exercises.

And then she is gone, an early night, for after all she is merely on the cusp of womanhood. A promise of a future of greatness, or perhaps an echo of her mother's magnificent past.

Arpege, even in its reigned in contemporary form, is a tough and strange perfume to get to know. Her behaviour in the opening notes is by most measures quite unsettling and to some noses rather upsetting.

But forbearance and a little understanding sees the acidic aledhyde blossom into first a full-bodied floral and then a warm-hearted almost wooded amber scent, that never looses its edgy integrity. Arpege can give the best in this class - including the biggest names - a run for their money.

I long to meet her mother - the true vintage.

KittyEdenxx
KittyEdenxx

The perfume smells like sh!t. seriously its like he just threw his whole garden into a pot and sold it for £40 quid a bottle. I could make it myself!

aber19

I have both the vintage version and the black bottle. I think that they are both very nice. I usually put my perfume on my clothes rather than the skin due to chemicals. Yet, it is classic and it lingers. Sometimes I have noticed that perfume may not agree on my skin and it is better on clothes. The price of this fragrance is value for money and it is a real treasure. This is a pleasant floral fragrance which is uplifting and a little different. This fragrance lasts for at 10 hours on clothes at least. This is for a mature woman which likes a sweet feminine fragrance.

Daisydukes

I bought this unsniffed based on reviews. I really wanted to like it but couldn't get past the "fecal" note. My husband told me that it "smells like an outhouse". Not what I was going for. This is by far my least favorite perfume of all time. I pitched in into the garbage although it should have gone into a diaper pail :) I didn't want to give it to a friend because I never want to smell it again... Ever!
The bottle is truly lovely.
When I told my husband that I wrote this review he told me "it really smelled like someone sprayed perfume on a turd". He really is never crude, but he hates this as much as I do. It was a new black bottle just for reference.

fanny
fanny

Chanel N°5..? Nooo, this is better. This is sooo gorgeous. Received a perfectly preserved mini in the mail, I am so pleased.

Although classified as a floral aldehyde, I find it soft, warm and very alluring. Considering the very present amber, jasmin and ylang ylang I think this more an oriental floral. Really, the aldehydes behave very modest; after a short presence during the opening I do not get them anymore.
Absolutely comfortable and very classy.
Sillage and longevity are both good.

I am on the hunt for a full bottle !!

Sassy1

I'm sad to say that my love affair with Arpege has ended. The little black bottle I obtained a short while ago smells nothing like the sample that got my attention.

For some reason all I can think of when I wear this is egg nog on the verge of going bad...there's a dowdy mustiness in the middle of it that I can't get past, even though I love the drydown which is full of sandalwood. I don't get any aldehydes...this is an oriental woody all the way.

I must confess that I much prefer Rochas Femme which is very similar to Arpege but has a warm spicy spark I prefer.

I'm sure the current reform is to blame and older bottles of this grand dame are worth appreciating.

Lakambini
Lakambini

Finally, I got to try out this classic. What I sprayed on was a modern formulation in the black bottle, at a department store. I immediately caught the resemblance to CHanel no. 5 (with the aldehydes less punchy), and also (gasp!) to the 70s drugstore classic Charlie. Arpege is aldehydic with a hefty dose of sandalwood, but with a certain lightness and clarity on first application. It is rich and classy, the scent of a real woman -- a woman who has known the full tonic range of emotions from despair to euphoria -- mature in the drydown yet breezy enough for day or summer. Tenacious too. I want to grow old with this fragrance and partake of its long history.

lapurrla
lapurrla

I bought an unopened box of 1980's version of Eau Arpege 125 mls. The top and middle-notes seem to have just disappeared. It has not weathered well! It's flame extinguished. RIP. So that's three large, vintage bottles I have now, each from a different era, and only one still has a spring in her step - the oldest one!! 1950's or 60's era? It's magnificent and I can barely bring myself to use it. Square bottle in display box. The one from 60's or 70's (I think, a gold metal bottle, very heavy) has just gone off, only good for display. I am now happy to end my pursuit of my old fave pharmacy perfume. The current version is very good, but honestly, I think there are other perfumes to try, move on, I already have three. And one's even wearable, yay, for special occasions.
Moral of the story - 1) Be careful buying old stock of this one; 2) I tried to re-create the past and it didn't work so well.
The current version is excellent and an example of re-formulation succeeding, don't you think? All is not lost.

oncidium
oncidium

This is perfume with a capitol "P". It's what one wore when a dab behind each ear and perhaps on the wrist was considered ladylike and appropriate. Of course the wrist was covered with a white glove, which when later removed and put inside a little clutch purse, would scent the air when opened.

Lovely, sophisticated floral for a lady turning into a sexy bombshell for a night out on the town. Or perhaps hinting at the possibilities while going about the usual daily activities.

Alexandre

I love reading about the history of perfume and there are many references on this icon, which incidentally, has a history of maternal love very interesting!
When I finally met it, oh what a feeling I could only feel! It is a unique scent, as well as the mysterious black dome that covers your notes and indecipherable, a real sphinx. Aldehydes command this arpeggio. One of my favorites!

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

I came across some minis of this in my fave perfume discount shop. I bought 2 , one for me , and one to put inside a dior make up bag full of minis for a friends b'day.

My friend didnt like it ! ( lucky she did like the dior minis though!) ....I love it !!

I can see the similarities to Chanel no5 , i havent tried Hermes Caleche so cant compare that.

This is a classic powdery floral aldehyde. A "fur coat and pearls " frag!! Very classy , not an everyday fragrance. I like to wear this on special occasions with a satin wiggle dress, killer black patent heels and my winter white fake fur coat.

I can heartily recommend this for women of all ages who want to smell ladylike , chic and alluring - it's a classic ! Its also much more affordable than the similar Chanel No5. . . Also its very strong , i like to literally DOUSE myself in scent , but i only needed a few dabs from this splash btl and the scent lasts many hours with a good sillage. I also received positive comms from men , but negative bitchy looks from women - Lol! Those women most likely pissed as i smell classy and stand out in a room full of cotton candy vanilla bombs :)

My mini has been used up now and im after a FB ASAP for all those parties in the festive season.

PS - Looking at the bottles for sale online at the bottom of this page ........the minis listed are in a clear bottle and my bottle is a shiny jet black, a true miniture version of the full sized black bottles. . . . So i dont know if my mini is the usual EDP/EDT or a pure parfum or a vintage or what!!! Whatever it happened to be , it was a great buy . I only paid £2 a piece for them so i shall have to go and see if my fave shop has any more . when i bought it they were not on display , but stashed away under counter with other "unfashionable" frags. The shop owner gets all sorts of perfumes in , including "old stock" . He knows i like a lot of old school scents so he hid them away for me.( now thats the kind of shop i like , personal service !) Now i think about it il probably be better off going back and buying 10 minis at £2 each rather than a FB !

Amberline
Amberline

I bought a completely full square bottle of Arpege from eBay for $9.99 because I remembered someone in my family having a bottle on their dresser (my grandmother maybe?) when I was a child. The scent was also familiar, but after reading these reviews I was surprised at how light the scent is on my skin. It starts out strong and is definitely old-fashioned. But on my skin it quickly dries down to a light powdery smell that only lasts about an hour. It does remind me of a church however, as others have pointed out. I'm not fond of overly sweet scents, so I don't hate it, but I'm not sure I love it either.

My review is for a bottle from the late 1980's. Arpege opens with a very sharp blast of aldehydes, very strong and almost overwhelming. If you do not like aldehydes, you may be scared off at first. But if you wait a few minutes, you'll see the scent changes a lot. After a few moments, the aldehydes subside and a faint whisper of ylang ylang is noticeable emerging through the top notes. After that, the scent settles into its loveliest phase, one of dense, thick, sweet florals. I smell mostly the neroli, and there is also jasmine and honeysuckle in lesser amounts. At this phase, this fragrance is pure, lush sweet floral. I don't think this smells like Chanel No. 5 at all. They are both aldehydes, but that's where the similarity ends. Once the aldehydic top notes wear off, Arpege is completely different. Arpege is sweeter and warmer. I don't find much change through to drydown, there is not much woodiness or musk that develops on me, rather it maintains the deep floral notes throughout wear.

Update: as it turns out, I don't know the true age of my bottle. It might be from the 1970's, not the 80's as I thought. It's so hard to tell. In any case, it smells lovely!

rowiena
rowiena

When I sprayed this on I didn't like it very much, but after some time....., WOW!, what a great scent!

So happy that I blind bought this one!

bond_girl1979

I have a black flacon complete with the body lotion. I have worn it out twice so far and my initial fondness of the fumes waned when I decided that the aldehydes were just too strong for me. Therefore if anybody is interested in a swap....

Castor
Castor

No, it did not work on me. Floral aldehydes are way too femenine for my tastes. OK, I liked it, but I just did not feel comfortable wearing it: I had the feeling that it was the perfect complement for a wonderful vintage dress designed by Balmain or Dior during the New Look era, low heel shoes, a pearl necklace and a vintage high - end wristwatch, while sipping Dry Martinis during a get-together in a fashionable apartment located in Manhattan's Upper East side, or maybe a weekend house in Greenwich, CT, cigarette smoking included.

Nope, not my cup of tea, thank you.

It does smell like talcum powder according to my 13 year old daughter. She liked it.

dnnhts.00@gmail.com

Wow is right... I have recently begun to explore aldehydic scents, and so far Arpege is my favorite of this group. It's not "too" anything, unless it's possible for a scent you enjoy to be too long lasting (ha). The longevity is like no other! Even the first time I sprayed on my wrist and immediately chickened out and *tried* to wash it off, it stayed, and it started to grow on me. There was a bit of a rotten note the first two times I wore it, but the overall effect was still pleasant enough, and that weirdness has since faded away (to my nose, anyway).
Mysterious and solemn, yes.
Haunting, you bet.
Sexy, not particularly. But attractive in the same way that a woman can look stunning without being obviously sexy, and without showing skin.
You don't love Arpege for her sex appeal, you love her for her personality, and, like a person you grow to love, it takes a little time to get there.

Ann-Margret Stigholt

Thank YOU so, very much. That´s what I needed.
New, new language.

But, where do you find baloons ? And am I supposed to give that to someone with the same oppinion for ex ?
And how do I do thumbs up or down ?
I will remember YOU as the first warm person at Fragantia. Kindness from Anne

Matusha
Matusha

I have a bottle of the original formula from years ago. It is truely the perfume of feminine grace. Its everything a woman should be. Graceful, gentle, wise, comforting and sensual. It was given to me by my mother in the 1960s. Its the greatest perfume gift a mother can pass to her daughter.

Its been many years that she has left the world, yet I still here her words of wisdom when I wear it. Her gentle hand touches my shoulder. The flowers seem like they are pressed in a book. Roses, jasmine and camelia all dressed up in the finest ball gown.

The concert hall is now dry, dark and dusty. The doors are boarded up. Wearing Arpege, you can here the distant music playing on. Its a haunting beauty in every way.

Ann-Margret Stigholt

I´become so glad, when I see yours opinions. Because it isn´t directly this type of perfume which is at the top at lists. I just Love it !!! Classic perfume, please more of those. We must take responsitility to save these fragances. It´s, to me not at all "just" a scent, it´s a time-epok. The mother and daughter, as well as on the bottle. To read and learn more of such things, give me nearly more. And what brave women.If you see everything in her notes.
It seems like wastery, but she knew she had to MAKE IT WORK, and with wisedom and love it sure did, and I think A Lanvin will have hard to find " a new one ". It´s like films ex Godfather I II and so on. I was very surprised that none of you mengend alhyde, but I like it, the feeling. Powdery it often stand today, is that thesame as alhyde, or is it only me liking it so it´s removes. I can´t think of that every perfume.

rosarossa
rosarossa

I have an authentic bottle of the old version : this is my favourite fragrance! I have a second bottle from 1996 circa, I had it as a present, this is a very good fragrance too. I have a bottle I bought some years ago because I wanted to spare my old ones, I saw a big difference between the 2, and for me and that was a mistake, I bought it bliendly without testing and I didn't know about REFORMULATIONS: just thought it was similar to my 1996's frag Sigh!!!!!

B-I-G M-I-S-T-A-K-E!

No they must change the name nothing similar to Arpege the original and even the '90 version.
Sorry but this is my opinion.

bugmenot1

One of my friends in college wore this. One time, it/she smelled so bad it gave me a violent headache and I was nauseated. I still can't stand this scent.

Patricia40
Patricia40

I don't feel smothered wearing this because it is such a gentle dry down. It envelopes me, like a hug. It is floral and classic. I do not find it old fashioned, in any case I think there is nothing wrong with old scents or "old fashioned" scents, once the scent is amazing. A good perfume is a good perfume, modern or old.

bond_girl1979

It's a classic, an old-school classic. Timeless, like a pair of mink gloves. Now normally when a reviewer deems something as "old lady" I either pah at it and assume they are a 21yr old who wears britney spears fantasy, or otherwise I am intriuged - because I like these so-called "old lady" scents if shalimar, heure blue, etc. are anything to go by! In my opinion it is far superior to Chanel no.5 and has more personality. It starts off very intense and almost sickening, but luckily the dry down is very pleasant and cosy and you can feel the cashmere like softness taking you back to the 1920's or a similar era. The staying power is good, and the sillage medium - good. It's more suitable for evening and winter wear, and would be perfect for the opera or something elegant and sophisticated like that. It's not a refreshing type or summer scent, it's more cosy, warm and luxurious.

alchimia72
alchimia72

I didn't test this fragrance before reformulation. I know the new version in black bottle.
This is a wonderful fragrance without age. I don't find any similarity with Chanel 5 a part of the fact of belonging to Aldehydes family. Floral and bright, elegant in her genre. Maybe it remembers more First.
Finally I love it and I'm Happy to have it in my wardrobe

mamameema
mamameema

This begins like Chanel no. 5 but better (sorry!) Its very floral after this and remains this way for quite a while. Then a very clean woody soap closes this lovely scent. This is another blind buy for me but I'm so glad I've been impulsive. Chanel no. 5. smells great on my sister but pretty much characterless on me. There is no development on me, this however was another story. This review was for the EDP in the black bottle.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

This is old school decadence and I am loving it. I got the black bottle and I am totally relieved it does not smell at all like the eclat version, which to me is water on water in a pretty flask. This perfume is a whole other story, a whole other encyclopedia. It's good friends with Chanel No. 5 and the old Guerlains like Mitsuoko but I won't go so far as to say it smells exactly like any of them. I'm getting most of the flowers and aldehydges but thankfully no overkill on either, just a really really smooth blend. I agree with everyone who calls this one of the classics. And for those who dismiss it as an old lady's scent, well it's fine by me, this is one classy, sexy old lady who can wrap any man around her little finger without trying.

mariasara
mariasara

I want to thank everyone who wrote a review on Arpege, from the bottom of my heart. :) I bought it on-line, based on the reviews, and I love it! It´s just like what I was expecting. I have a passion for classics and my first impression about arpege is that it could be between mitsouko and chanel 19. I personally find no affinity with chanel 5. It´s powdery and clean. It reminds me of the original Nina (unfortunatly discontinued, so I´m not completely sure about this..) Some pleople may find it a litle soapy. It´s classic and elegant. It´s not a "super-feminine" parfum, and can be used by man (like the original miss dior for example..). I absolutely love it and I´m happy that I bought it.
Please don´t buy "eclat d'arpege" buy mistake, as it is something completely different from the orignal Arpége.

softmossy
softmossy

want this

sauko
sauko

Is like a Chanel nº5 most concentrated

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

I wanted to love this but the Intense jasmine just ends up smelling musty and poopy on my skin. On the right chemistry this would be powdery dark and mysterious.

mylancome

I just got a miniature, the color doesn't look golden color as shown above, it's a little brownish like the vintage.

It doesn't smell aldehyde at all like I get in Chanel no. 5, more to oriental woody.

If Chanel no. 5 is sparkling champagne, my Arpege is like a Cognac, dark woody smell. Am I got a fake one?

Update: Smells like Chanel no. 22 a lot.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

I would have to say that this is one of the worst reformulations to happen to any of the beautiful vintage perfumes. Years back I had the opportunity to smell this at a macy's counter, and I kicked myself so long for not buying it. Recently I had the chance to purchase it again, but it wasn't that same sparkling powdery mix as before. Now when I wear it, it is harsh and gives me a sore throat.:( I don't hate it, but it is not the same as it once was.

I think I will get a black bottle and put in the fridge like some people said to do...or just find a vintage.

lovely and classic.
so unique.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Hmmm...I'm still thinking this one out. I have to say that after wearing Habanita last week anything I'd put on would have a REALLY hard act to follow. Needless to say Arpege is a 180 from Habanita.

I have an old bottle I got at an antique store. It is a clear bottle with a black lid, there is also a bulb atomizer that comes with it and there is also a small metal container also filled with Arpege. Everything is in a box that looks like an old-fashioned jewelry box that would contain a necklace. Beautiful presentation and a bargain at $22.

Arpege starts with a giant burst of aldehydes. Fascinating stuff. I've heard that different aldehydes can be very different from one another. In this case, the aldehydes are very bitter, so much so there is almost a metallic scent to it. I don't get a clean or soapy feel from this at all. As a matter of fact, I find this one somewhat dirty, dare I say, almost skanky. Maybe it's the jasmine and musk. I find this frag animalic, maybe it's just me because I don't think I read any other reviews that mention it. That facet of the fragrance surprises me because I didn't expect it at all.

The florals in Arpege, to me, are blended so well that I can't pick out any particular flower. The flowers too are not sweet or creamy but bitter and sharp as well.

Maybe because the legendary logo shows a Mom and little kid dancing together, I thought this would be a soft, curvy kind of scent but it's not. It is Harlow's Wire Monkey Mother. The dirty, animal scents I get are not the happy woodland critters I mention in my review of Bal a Versailles either, but dark night-time predator smells - like big black jaguars. There's something slightly dangerous and sinister to this. It's not overly strong but just strong enough to raise one's hackles, like there's danger in the air.

This is the scent to wear when you want to feel sophisticated, remote, and beautiful.

Update: Been wearing it all week and have discovered when I put it in the refrigerator the scent is much more "sparkly" and powdery. Very classic and classy.

;-)
;-)

This is a classic sent. Guess my mother wore it. It's a bit soapy, something I tend to dislike. But it's actually nice to smell clean and nice at the same time. The drydown it soft and warm a bit like shalimar. Possible as a work sent. Have to try it again. No wonder this has survived throu the years. It a tru gem like Shalimar, Mitsuoko and L'heure bleue.

aber19

Sorry, I just noticed my error the perfume I purchased was eau de parfum.

aber19

Angie, you are totally correct, the best of both worlds of Chanel and First, but beautifully blended.

aber19

Sorry, the size of the bottle was 100mls eau de perfume, I forgot to mention this. For all people who love Chanel, may notice the reformalation of this fragrance has reduced the strength of smell recently. This fragrance's sillage is excellent.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

This is a lovely one! My very first impression is that it smells like Chanel 5 and First mixed together...both are my favorites so it works for me! Will be purchasing this one for years to come.

aber19

This fragrance is truly a happy, floral and extremely long lasting one. I have just purchased the black bottle, edp version. This chic must have cypre, rich floral, correct sweetness not sickly sweetness perfume lasts a very long time, for a great price instead. I think on ebay I paid $48.00 including postage to a supplier in Australia. Comming back to long aspect of this perfume I put this perfume on my wrist at 3.00pm in the afternoon and now the next day it is 8.15am and the perfume is still whiffing on, and smells very lovely. I usually love chanel 5, but this is better value for money. This perfume has a lovely vanilla floral, lilly of the valley smell after this time. This classic chic perfume is one of the best in my extensive collection. For ever perfume admirer, this perfume is not for the faint of heart, a little goes a long way, this is a defining perfume fragrance of feminity. I usually place perfume on clothes because it longer. This is highly recommended, I think Chanel is smelling rather less authethic and cheaper, these days, a better natural smell comes from this fragrance. A discerning perfume is for more the mature age of 35+, the fragrance is about quality, class and contentment in a beautiful black art deco bottle.

an.jorePipip

Finally I wear this perfume again, first time I wore it I didn't really get its beautiness. But today, I feel rich by wearing this perfume, echo of the age of opulence! Great perfume!

kl99
kl99

I always loved the name of this perfume and this bottle simple but magnetic, it has, I mean: it IS all that a perfume has to be into the collective inconscious.
A classic, very female, so elegant, but intriguing, not so clean, and as the aldehydes were back in fashion in the 80s, this fragrance recall me that "dark" period.

PRECIOUS INFORMATION:

I want to share with you this episode. Almost ten years ago I met this very old "aristocratic" lady wearing this fragrance, and answering to my compliments about that choice, she said, like she was talking about days,: "well, I was used to wear this fragrance, but after the war that wasn't good anymore. Last year a shop assistant told me to try Arpege, but I said no, I tried it again several times during these years and wasn't good, but she said 'they have reformulated it, now is good!', and yes, now is good like before the war!"
(of course: Second World War.)

Wanda Osiris (an italian soubrette queen of the Gran Varietà, a sort of café-chantant touring into theatres after the war) was used to descend a grand staircase, builded on the stage, launching roses to the public. And she said in an interview, she was used to put a drop of arpege in the middle of each rose.

clrieger
clrieger

Today I bought the "black bottle" after much research and without testing. Price was unbelievably affordable. Well...No regrets here! Absolutely beautiful and classic. I like classic fragrances, and Chanels 19 and 5 (Eau Premiere) are favorites (referring to other reviews). But Arpege is similar in its presentation, but different. Complimentary. The aldehydic nature is nicely balanced by the heart notes, and dry down is subtle to those close enough to sense. With favorites Quelques Fleurs and Chanel 19, Arpege completes the trilogy.

tvu
tvu

there is a song with lyric which goes like this 'killing me softly...', well smelling this will not kill me softly but it's like a massive blow on the head... and i am gone with the wind. It certainly not for the light at heart. I was hoping to discover 'Moulin Rouge' from Paris but it just turn out to be a seriously 'dead calm' piece of work. Well... c'est la vie!

gatsby

have it for a good swap. SEALED 100 ml box.

SAungle
SAungle

I have just bought the Black bottle from an internet sale, convinced by others reviews. Also by the fact that it is on sale for $49 when usually $175! A great opportunity! Carpe Diem! I have not tried it, but will receive it in a few weeks when I fly down to Sydney. I will add to this review if possible after trying!

My addition: I love it and wear it everyday, not feeling complete without it on! I find the drydown just so rustic sweetshop pink floral! And comforting, a feeling of knitting and older activities of a bygone time. Remaining youthful with a timeless bouquet.

A hug that wraps you in its warmth. Surrounds you with pleasant feeling, still with sophistication.

rita amorim
rita amorim

Para mim, é uma volta aos anos 20, e realmente viajo pelo tempo usando esse perfume. Nao é enjoativo, e me faz confortavel em usa-lo.

evajhayes
evajhayes

My grandmother gave me this, I feel it's more suited to her age group than mine (under 25). It's too strong for me, but if you like it you'll be pleased to know it sticks around all day!

Paradelle
Paradelle

The drydown is heavenly and luxurious. Must be the vetiver.

Better than Chanel no. 5.

jgirgar
jgirgar

For theEDP in the Black Bottle (richer than the one in the clear bottle): Luckily I was able to find this lovely fragrance this weekend and gave it a try, mainly due to the fact that Luca Turin recommended it in his book as a best feminine for a man. Actually, what inspired me was the scene in A Single Man where George walked back to his office and his assistant said there had been a boy in earlier asking for his address and as he stood there in a subtle fixation said, "ahh, Arpege,... lovely". I was fortunate to speak with a sales associate at another store who was familiar with it, which by the way they no longer sell, and she made the reference to it being similar to CN5 but perhaps a bit deeper and not as floral. That intrigued me so when I found it elsewhere I wore it in the crease of my arm and it did quite well, but on me still a bit too floral. I'm on the lookout for a deep, dark, jasmine, tuberose, shanky perfume that works on a man without going to flowery - Any suggestions? I'm not saying I would not purchase it for myself, but maybe after I wear it again. Jason G 042312

lake
lake

I once owned this perfume, somehow, there was something that was too much about it. I felt like I was being smothered instead of enjoying wearing it.

daliflora
daliflora

Very aldehydic-soapy and similar to no. 5. I am not fond of it, but my mother, who has classic tastes, loves it. She has the black Art Nouveau bottle, which I like very much too.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

I'm not a big fan of aldehydic frags, but the warmth of Arpege balances the aldehydes for me. I feel it is warmer, softer and more organic than No 5. There's a note of something baked with butter and spices, and, though it isn't supposed to be there, a touch of carnation or some other spicy floral. I use a light touch with Arpege; only a drop is required. A mature and elegant scent.

arnela
arnela

legend! Hove no word for this perfume. It must be by me!

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I also do not see how it ressembles No5 AT ALL... but the only Arpege I've ever smelled was an older recipe and it was a warm, sticky(literally, it felt sticky), musky, powdery, floral heaven.

NOTHING like any of the Chanel fragrances I know. But I see how a lady could love both as they have the same "allure".

EDIT I now own a bottle of Arpege and I do not see any ressemblance with no.5 except that it has aldehyde. Is that enough to claim that 2 fragrances smell the same?

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

I must admit it was no love at first sniff between me and Arpege. It was a gift and when I smelled it I didn't feel an 'oomph', and since there are so many perfumes and so little time, I am ashamed to say, somehow it ended up in the back of my perfume cupboard. Unnoticed in its black box.
Till the day I was watching the DVD of "A Single Man" with Colin Firth. There is a scene in it where he is in a shop and purchases something and the sales-lady hands it to him, he smiles, leans in on her to sniff and says: "Arpege? wonderful!".
It was then that I remembered that I owned a bottle and wondered how it would strike me after all this time?
Well, I'm glad Mr Firth brought it -again- to my attention! ; ) It is indeed a gem that one needs to discover in peace, its aroma is sultry and a bit moody. It's a capricious musky scent to me, it seems to change with my mood. I don't smell the comparisons to Chanel №5 but like I said, it's a moody Lady. A true French classic bottled in a charming black bottle with a story of its own. Try it, and be transported to a whimsical Paris and smell like the Beau Monde.

::N.B.::
Review is for Arpege in the black bottle.

emiana
emiana

I love it....very beautiful perfume...perfect for day and night...always....

IamWoman

I reviewed my beloved Arpege earlier on this thread (April, 2010) and could not express how much I loved it. That was before I purchased a large black bottle (EdP) of what has to be the reformulation. OMG!! What have they done to my beautiful Arpege?!! At one time, my fragrance wardrobe was only Arpege and Chanel #5, and I KNEW that I would be fine if I chose to use either of these two classics. After spraying this new concoction, and getting semi-nauseous from the bugspray dry-down, I actually got back into the shower to get it all off of me. I also laundered all of my clothing it touched. It was sickening, and was nowhere near the beautiful, elegant classic I had loved so dearly for so long. Words can hardly express the anger and disappointment I feel, especially having loved this fragrance for most of my life. Who DID this? What "genius" decided the original version wasn't good enough, and just HAD to tamper with perfection??? This crappy reformulation is a spit in the face to the original Arpege. It's an insult!! It's not even deserving of the name "Arpege" anymore!!!

lolitajade
lolitajade

I do love this perfume. Very 'France in a bottle'.

Don't know if it is just me but if you mixed no 5 up with no 19, I think the result would be Arpege.

It is a fresher no 5 or a heavier no 19.

Shydaniels
Shydaniels

Last Halloween I went to a party dressed as a 1920's flapper. I wanted to be completely authentic, so I wore Arpege since it is from that era. That's what Arpege reminds me of: classic femininity. Silent film stars with sultry beauty, dark lipstick and nails, elegant but smoldering.

outofocus
outofocus

I used to sniff Arpège from my mother`s closet when I was a child, at that time at least for her it was so expensive that she only wore it on special occasions. So for me it is associated with a night out, the best coats and jewelry you can afford, etc.
I've smelled it today again and it struck me that it was not as overpowering as before, but it was the same spirit lightened up a little bit, to make it more affordable to present day tastes.
Anyhow, I'm surprised after so many positive reviews, I've thought that without the childhood experiences I've described, it would be deemed very heavy and old fashioned. It is certainly a piece of the old school of perfumerie francaise that it seems to me is loosing the battle against global consumerism.

zosoroxy

DAMN Arpege is GORGEOUS! So THIS is what classic French perfumery is! I have new EdP, vtg. extrait, & everything in between- Love them all. I rock the current formula when I need to "be careful/conservative". I rock the vtg. frag- pure extrait, layered over the EdP equivalent (Arpege Eau de L'anvin) when I just want to be me, my teen telling me "turn it down Mom, it's too loud, I can hear your iPod from here!" with Zep, Sabbath or AC/DC (earbuds), in too much eye make-up, leather boots, jeans & a T- faults & all. The vtg. juice is heavily-laden w/ civet- Not for the timid. The new formula is soooo gorgeous too! Often I am approached with compliments/questions. Apologies- My nose is not sophisticated enough to detail the individual notes, the opening, heart, drydown, etc ... I only know for me, it's an affordable, wearable treasure, for life!

isabella.fr.83
isabella.fr.83

today is a miserable wintery day, the wind is blowing and sleet is falling. So Arpege is the perfect perfume to make me feel warm and comforted. It is one that I will always own even if I don't wear it very often. very classy and feminine and it makes me feel like nothing can go wrong

Jasminehead
Jasminehead

To rissy! Don't worry, you are helping to develope their noses, lol. I'm almost positive that if you hold firm and still where what you love, that over a little time they will grow to love it.. well msot of them anyway :)

meg1969
meg1969

A dark vintage beauty perfect for lovers of sweet perfumes with a strong jasmine note. Sweet, warm, and moist, it feels slightly cloying hanging in the air around me. The jasmine, honeysuckle, peach, rose, vanilla, and musk are classic, heavy, French perfumery. I have tried it over and over, and it is lovely, but it is just not me.

rissy76
rissy76

Yesterday I received my bottle, bought it in the blind without first sniffing it. I love it. But unfortunatley my family and friends don't like it much, which I really can not understand. In spite of their comment I will be loyal to myself and this really lovely sent and wear it with pride.

lyria

~After some time I will add that even though I use it really rarely, each time I do I discover it's not "me"... It has to do with something in the intensity, something in one of the notes in it that pierces the whole composition... It's a pity because it was the most expensive blind-buy in my collection that I have dared to afford and I should have risked with something else instead...

Dear Melia

Please don't feel insulted by my comments, which are indeed a generalisation and not directed at anyone in particular. Realise, also, that they are simply an opinion ... one that I am entitled to in just the same way that you are entitled to yours :o).

I think it's absolutely wonderful that someone as young as you wears and enjoys Arpege! When I read something like that it chips away some of the jaded-ness in my soul and restores my faith in the young. I seriously doubt that one could fill a telephone booth with people on these forums of your age liking fragrances such as these. That, however, does not mean that I don't applaud you for your excellent taste! I also love the fact that you call yourself a "user", limiting your collection to fragrances that actually go on your body ... BRAVA!!

Małgoś
Małgoś

I have been wearing Arpege for a few hours now... and I am perplexed.
The top notes are almost unbearable for me - very strong, floral, old fashion style, too mature, too heavy, almost offensive to my nose... I found nothing subtle in it.
After a few hours though the scent transformed completely - into such a delicate veil of jasmine and vanilla... I can hardly detect any other, floral note in it after a few hours.
It is lovely, very light and close to the skin, powdery, and elegant... But I am afraid, a little bit too bland for me.
Let me get back to you in a few months time perhaps, when I may be able to edit this review... Or I may still be so perplexed.

caryyy
caryyy

well, today I received it after reading your review, without sniffing it. At first it was so wonderful strong just like Scherrer 2, and than surprise, it s nor like any other aldehydic fragrance, the middle notes are nothing like Chanel 5,it smelled a lot of jasmine,the whole notes are more sharper, not that powdery, not that sweet,like No 5, it s strong and outstanding, elegant and special,I like it, I hope to love it, I am curious about the persistence and the base notes, i recomment it it s great... hmmm becouse now I smelled it again, and after an hour it evin better, delicious for me!I think I love it...!

EK

I bought Arpége unsniffed and it finally arrived yesterday.
First, I should say that I never liked aldehydes very much. Or so I thought.This is wonderful from the first sniff!

Elegant, classy,warm and soft but not weak. I like so-called outdated perfumes that send me on a time-travel back to another time. Arpége does that somewhat, and yet not. I believe it's one of the most timeless scents I've encountered. Not fashion-wise timeless but I'd say it goes with any season, any time of day. It has that freshness and warmth at the same time.

It's so elegant. Not loud, but elegant in a discreet way. It could even be an adult woman's wedding scent to balance out all the romanticism. Or Or for a formal theater event. Or for a visit in a famous museum such as Louvre. Or a dinner out wearing a blue silk dress.

I'm so happy I bought a big bottle. I can't imagine I'll ever grow tired of this one.

A scent for everyone? Probably not. Any perfume that pleases everyone doesn't stand out very much and isn't too special imo. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Edit: I have the black bottle. Since I just bought it, it must be the new version.

Nikka Miró
Nikka Miró

I have an almost mystical relationship with Arpége. He smells like secret, nobility ... I would refer the darkrooms, shaded by candles in the middle ages ...
I think pure pheromone femino.
It is a perfume, which definitely not pleases everyone, refers to the chanel n° 5, but without the media appeal.

The Glamour of Arpége is veiled is secret and sacred.

truffles
truffles

For some reason when I first smelled this on my skin, my brain translated it into a shape - a bowl to be precise. A bowl of warmth. However, it's just not for me. It's not offensive but I just find it boring.
To me, it's slightly reminiscent of Coty L'Aimant and Worth Dans La Nuit so if you like those kinds of fragrances, you will probably like this too.
I recently acquired 2 new sweet little mini bottles of this so they will make nice Auntie presents for Christmas.
ps, actually I'm mystified by this one. Reading thru the rave reviews and I just don't get it! I know I said I found it boring before but, whilst not screamingly offensive, it was nigglingly annoying and I had to babywipe a few times to get the stuff off.
And I don't like the packaging or strange motif either..kind of stern and austere.
OK - at the risk of sounding mad - for some perverse reason I tried this again, on my hand.
Last time it smelled like a burned food accident but this time it smells like a divine peach/vanilla combo? In fact, the 'heavenly' tags are beginning to seem not so misplaced. WTH? What IS it with this strange brew?
I'm gonna be generous and still give the minis to the Aunties anyway, they'll love them. :)

Decodawn
Decodawn

Perfect for daytime/business use, classic floral

mylancome

Dear melia, don't worry, i'm 29 and i like vintage style perfume. I just get myself a Molinard Habanita. Though it doen't smell nice, will take some time to appreciate it while listening 50s music or watching old holywood movies.

YES, melia!
It depends on personality alone.

melia
melia

Coutureguru - as much as I appreaciate everyone doing an effort to write a review, I really feel insulted by yours. I'm 19 years old and a big fan of Arpège. My mom bought it in France when I was about 14, saying it smelled so interesting, 'like a church'. I agreed it smelled interesting but I didn't really liked it at the time. However I kept sniffing her bottle once in a while, which resulted her giving me a 30ml as a present for Chrismas last year. And I'm so glad to have it! It's so mysterious, dark, softsweet and really kind of holy-smelling to me. It brings me back to the ancient greeks and romans.. My special-occasion scent, or sometimes just daytime, if I have that special feeling :) Arpège is one of those classics I cán pull off in my opinion, so please coutureguru, don't categorize 'our massproduction-genetration' too quickly :)

Alexandrarae

Update: I am "In Love" again with Arpege! Wore it on my wedding Day 40 years ago and tried it out last year and was very disappointed as it didn't smell as I remembered it. In David Jones today and thought I would give it one more try - left it on for an hour and WOW " my Arpege " is back! It is my Ruby Wedding Anniversary (40 Years) this year and I am so pleased to be wearing it again. It is one of the few perfumes that my husband can smell - am looking forward to Christmas and New Year surrounded by this exquisite fragrance - so lovely and elegant and very very special.
Alexandrarae South Australia

Coutureguru

I am a new devotee at the altar of Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez' guide ... don't always agree with them but it seems that dry wit and the appreciation of fragrances goes hand in hand! I am going to work my way through their top 10 list of masculine feminines (those which I can readily find) and see what transpires. To that end, I rushed out and bought Arpege today, as it's on the list and I have wanted it for the longest time anyway. WOW!!! Sparkling aldehydic florals nestled on a creamy bed of warm and sensual sandalwood and vanilla with a lashing of peach syrup melding it all together! Turin and Sanchez are right! Your loss, ladies, is definitely our gain! I will wear this often ... in jeans and a t-shirt with a rude slogan on the front! I can already see the confused stares :o). Anyone under 35 need not apply ... stick to your mass market "fresh" scents ... you don't have what it takes (read balls) to wear this!

StarMagix

I am so grateful to still have a vintage square bottle of this fragrance, as well as, a spray bottle with a tad bit left. I wore this often in High School and still turn to them for memories of days gone by. I wear this fragrance carefully in order that it last for as long as it possibly can, or until they bring back the first recipe! This is a wonderful romantic scent that always makes me feel very much like a woman.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

This is a lovely perfume. The words that come to mind are...delectable...delicious...intoxicating. I almost want to taste it. It is satisfying from the first opening note to the very last chord. And I never seem to tire of it. A little bit of heaven on earth, IMO.
I like many fragrances but I don't give my love easily: I love Arpege!

Alexandre

Adoro ler sobre a história da perfumaria e há muitas referências sobre este ícone, que aliás, tem uma história de amor maternal muito interessante!
Quando finalmente o conheci, ah que sensação única pude sentir! É um aroma único, misterioso assim como a redoma negra que o recobre e suas notas indecifráveis, uma verdadeira esfinge "decifra-me ou te devoro". Os aldeídos comandam este arpejo. Um de meus favoritos!

id
id

Soapy, solid, classic, serious and elegant scent. The smell of luxury. Aldehydes at their best. Still I can't think of many occasions to wear it often.

MMC
MMC

Esse perfume tem muita classe é chic,mas para mim o erro dele é a nota de pessego que faz ficar doce demais.Minha mãe usa e nela acho tão delicado e agradavél.A fixação é muito boa 24hs e fica em tudo travesseiro,roupas, bolsa.

TheFeatheredDuchess
TheFeatheredDuchess

How I love this scent.
At once as intimate as the pink powdered smell of a vintage compact and as haughty as a old school ballet teacher.

She is captivating and bewitching.

Don't be led too far astray by the bright crisp opening notes of this fragrance which would have you believe that all she has is in the overture, her real power lies in her unutterably beautiful dry down.

She lingers and lingers hauntingly.

There is nothing else like this scent she is a heartbroken heroine in silk and lace, a deco dame in black velvet and pearls shimmering and dancing her way through time.

lyria

With this perfume I learned why some are called "classic". At first I got a bit scared as it was a blind buy and I was not quite sure what to think of it - it has several stages of development, some of them seemed to me rather "solemn", though flowery and nice. Now I wouldn't hesitate which scent I would reach to if I am going to a theater/opera or any such event. An elegant, serious perfume with an amazingly beautiful drydown.

jtd
jtd

My mother only wore perfume occasionally. Out to dinner, to an event of some sort, to a family gathering she wore Lanvin's Arpege. To a wedding or Something Special, she wore the Eau de Joy that her brother had brought her from Paris immediately after WW II. She still had it in the 1970s. That's how infrequently she wore it.

God, that Joy was lovely. Put me on the couch, get me talking and you'll probably find that that's where the perfume fascination started. But it was the Arpege that suited my mother. It was simple, didn't require any effort or reaching. If the Patou was called Joy, the Lanvin could have been called Contentment.

As my mother's dementia advanced, I bought her a bottle of Joy EDP hoping it would prompt a reaction or that she'd simply enjoy it. I was disappointed when it didn't actually elicit any response at all from her. But then again, perfume is my thing. It was never hers. What I've done since is to buy an ounce of Vintage Arpege extrait. Every now and again I'll put it on, put my feet up, sniff my wrists and remember this remarkable woman.

pickledtink
pickledtink

I have finally bought a small black bottle of this and am thoroughly confused as to which formulation it is. Clearly new. Maybe the latest which some are saying comes closest to the original fragrance.
I like it and although I 'get' the comparisons to C no 5 I prefer Arpege.
It doesn't punch me on the nose like no 5 and is certainly lighter. No surprises but a lovely opening with pleasant smooth progress to a soft elusive quality. It'll be interesting to see the lasting power and final notes.

nonnative
nonnative

I found some vintage drops of arpege at the bottom of an old bottle. Possibly the fluid is deteriorated but still the parfume is good. Nothing to do with the new version I tested lately.

an.jorePipip

This perfume is very thick...very thick! I bought since I read some reviews that this classic is a "must have" item. Also since I read Luca Turin's book that recommends this fragrance as one of best Feminine for Men...but when I tried it on my skin, it smells...well just let say it doesn't blend nicely with my skin and body odor. But when my niece tried it on her skin, it developed so well...so nice! Probably I just skip and give it to her :)

Jazzy76
Jazzy76

A vintage and mature scent....it reminds me of Belle époque 's athmospheres....but it's not my fragrance!

paulie86
paulie86

Arpege was my introduction to classic perfumery as well as my first alddehydic aquaintence. I picked Arpege as a gift from my significant other a few years ago when I was starting to become real serious about perfumes. I definitely was not ready for it. Arpege to my untrained nose was fusty extremely woodsy with a strong peach overtone it lasted all day long to the point of annoyance. I ended up giving it to my best friend and he used up every last drop since Lanvin is his favorite fashion house. I smelled it on his perfume tray last week because he kept the empty bottle for display purposes and It made me feel so sad I gave up such a beautiful fragrance.

Fast forward to today I bought a bottle and was kind of dissapointed that I ended up with the clear bottle. My other bottle was the boule noir which was gorgeous. I think there is a slight difference between the clear and black bottles. The boule noir Arpege is very blended you hardly notice the stages until it hits the spicy drydown and starts to change. The clear bottle has a take on the musical arpeggio it feels like a broken chord. The opening is a heavy in your face nutty sweet soapy aldyhdic scent from opening to end eventually it softens then transitions to a spicy silky floral, the encore is a very peachy earthy sillage which is identical to the boule noir drydown. Arpege feels like her own symphony the notes gliding across the staff. Arpege reminds me of the scent of my violins, vintage wood and varnish tucked in between layers of velvet. I was so inspired I sprayed my violin cases with Arpege so the next time I play the wood will be ingrained with a beautiful classic scent.

The clear bottle is softer melds into the skin more it's different but still very beautiful and recognisably arpege. I'm going to have my best friend try it and see if he thinks they smell the same. To me because I love aldehydic florals No5, Arpege, First; they all start to smell the same but Arpege has her own personality and never feels like she's in no 5's shadow.

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

This is simply beautiful! I got a little sample and I couldn't get enough of it, and couldn't stop sniffing my wrists:) (It happens not too often with me.) At first a bit similar to No.5 (I think because of the aldehydes), but 5 minutes later it's much more soft, 'round', deep and nice to my nose. I feel lot of jasmine and then woods (I just love them) but can't say, it's the vetiver or the sandalwood or... they just work together in a perfect harmony for hours. Timeless, not only for 'old ladies' but not for the youngest.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is simply a spectacular floral aldehyde. As a rule I don't like aldehydes, but I could see making an exception for this one in a few years time. It is quite a bit leathery to me, but the dominant notes asides from the aldehydes to my nose are the jasmine, lily and vetiver. To me this conjures up the image of an elegant wife getting ready for a trip to the opera in the early 1900s, while her daughter hides on the stairs watching her get ready. This is one of the rare classics that I actually quite like.

fresie
fresie

a sophisticated luxury deep impressive perfume! its a statement fragrance.divinely in his wide range of notes.
i think either you love it or hate it.

DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor
DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor

I despised this reformulated classic with vengeance. It smelled upon first spritz of FECES. A nasty horrifying smell on my skin, clothing, car, and paper. It was a disappointment as I had read it was a favorite of screen Goddesses Ava Gardner and Rita Hayworth. Obviously the version those ladies used was different! and probably more like a Chanel no5 aldehyde. This new version is weak, lasting power was less than an hour. If anyone can wear this and actually smell pleasant I applaud you!
My mother and friends all smelled the fecal note, it was not only I. It smelled poohy on everyone I know.
Reeks of MANLY SOAP, CIGARETTES, FECES, AND CANNABIS! yes, it smells like fertilizer and marijuana. I know not from experience but from college classmates who openly used marijuana and they smelled poohy and smokey.
The bottle is stunning and very beguiling. I do love the mother-daughter emblem of the House of Lanvin.

krmarich
krmarich

Arpege is refined, elegant and very dramatic! It is gentler than Chanel No 5, bigger than Joy and always the underdog in the compared to her peers. After so many incarnations and years late, she is still around! Its current formulation is rather accurate to the original and surprisingly contemporary-no civet.

Yes, was a time when men would gift perfume to ladies. It was like getting flowers in a bottle. How can i ever forget the add "Promise her anything, but give her Arpege!" It has a history and touched the lives of so many women of the 20th Century.

To todays perfumistas. it presents many contradictions. Its is heavy and titanic in scale compared to current plastic fruit and flower offering. A drop is personal and alluring. A spray is a big, bold, formal statement. Its opulent, soft and romantic.

I imagine this would be popular on the Orient Express in the 1930s, with wide brimmed hats, viels, and dangling pearls and real fur. It is a little out of fashion, but if you can get away with this retro style, give Arpege a try.

UPDATE 9/6/2012 The current formula is sadly broken! Everything seems right until the closing notes develop. It becomes like burnt plastic. The civet, woods and moss are missing. It makes a nice roomspray, especially on a sofa. The bottle is beautiful. I must search for a vintage extrait.

Celebrity=Ingrid Bergman

ksenia_kim
ksenia_kim

I first discovered Arpege when I was 10 years old. The perfume counter at the local rich's dept store was passing out the samples.

I took several home with me. When I smelled it...I was so moved emotionally. It remains my first fragrance experience and one that I will remember for the rest of my life.

It is the most glorious scent ever!
I'm going to get myself the original formulation because the newer one gives me migranes

lady69
lady69

Terrible aldehydic fragrance. My collega says, it smeels like soap. Infortunately, he was rigth...

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I was given this as a gift recently, my mom could not wear it it was too strong for her. I really like this fragrance in the beginning only it reminds me of Chanel N0. 5 very elegant and sophisticated.

roxanneronald
roxanneronald

Thank you all for your advice! Just to say I obtained a mini sample of this fragrance from ebay and have to say it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! To me it smells very similar to Van Cleef Arpels First edp which I love. The longevity of the fragrance is better than First, (at least on me), and has a more resinous dry-down which is lovely. It is a very "warm" fragrance and it does not smell old-fashioned in my opinion.
I have since ordered a 100ml bottle of Arpege and I can"t wait for it to arrive!!!!!!

pippab
pippab

I'm primarily an oriental lover, but Arpege is a pleasing complex floral, although I do detect the tiniest hint of spice. For me it's a 'go to' fragrance time after time and there is often a bottle on my dresser. It's heady and envelopes like a cashmere coat.

The projection and lasting power are excellent. I don't agree with the reviews where people are likening it to Chanel No 5, but perhaps that's just me - the sense of smell is such a subjective thing. I'm not a No 5 fan, but I'm fond of Arpege.

Wilka
Wilka

I also have it and I rarely use it too. However, in my opinion, arpège is a magnificent fragrance. What makes it so 'raffinée' is the few amount of musk I feel in the bass notes. Actually, I prefer those deep, strong fragrances, without musk in their bass notes at all.

girasolina
girasolina

I felt the first time more than 20 years ago, at the osmoteque and was wonderful as Chanel No. 5
Today these are poor imitations, but they continue to do school on the history of perfume.
About me its wrong, even separately from cat urine! I am very sorry.
I appreciate it, but I respect my skin runs away from him ...

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I got a small bottle of the EdP for $1 at a garage sale, and suspect that it is an older, pre-reformulation version that probably belonged to someone’s grandmother. Not a bad bargain! It’s a strong, aldehydic floral, very old-fashioned perfume-y smelling at first with a sharp mix of aldehydes, citrus, and lily-of-the-valley. However, that phase lasts less than half an hour, and it quickly settles into a smooth, full floral, slightly fruity and spicy, but primarily the same lovely “mystery flower” that’s present in so many early 20th-century perfumes. After a few hours it dries down to an almost ambery oriental-type base. I like it, but I think I would like it better on someone else, since it’s too floral for my taste. However, it is a very well-made perfume.

Louw
Louw

This is another perfume I really thought I'd like, but didn't. I bought it blind based on all I'd read about it and smelling it on other people, and was disappointed to find it just didn't suit me.

It's a very elegant fragrance, and the top and middle notes were fine - fruity, floral, a touch of wood - but something in the base notes really spoiled it for me. I don't know what it was but it came through insistently and lingered on my skin and my clothes and really irritated me.

Very sad, because on friends it smells so beautiful.

clarasays
clarasays

The beginning does smell a little mature, but wait! In just 15 minutes this perfume becomes very enchanting and even a little sweet.

LaPetite
LaPetite

This is a very prestigious scent .
I think , and a mean no perjorative ,( on the contrary ) this is a real mature woman scent , but on a good way . This is a perfume that one has to deserve , and only a woman who has a big experience of life can EARN the right of wearing this .
Yes , it's heavy , it's strong but truly royal , "majestueux" !

cisco
cisco

What in the world can I say that has not already been said in such articulate ways about this iconic scent? One thing is I own both the vintage and the new. I prefer the new EDP. It has the class of Chanel #5 but does not demand all the attention as Chanel #5 EDP is prone to do. Arpege is warm and smells much more expensive than it is. It blends with my chemistry so well I am making it my signature. I cannot imagine a season or a reason this beauty would not work. Arpege has good sillage and longevity.

I think the price is extremely fair. I know they could ask for much more. This truly is a classic. I hope it never goes away. As they say, do not fix it if it is not broken. Arpege EDP is absolutely not broken.

latelittlesleeper
latelittlesleeper

This is for the vintage eau de Lanvin Arpege:

This is one of those old school perfumes that has a million notes but is mixed so well, none are really very discernible. It's a satin-smooth, blanketing scent, and I only recognize a very fine, high quality sandalwood when I wear it.

sofababe
sofababe

A blind buy and I'm really regretting it. Thank heaven it was only a mini 5ml that I bought.
Within minutes of applying it I had a headache and felt nauseous, I scrubbed it off immediately.
I so wanted to like this after reading the reviews but its really not for me. I still feel ill.

geekweevil
geekweevil

I used to wear this when i was a young teen. Then i became allergic to perfumes and scents for many years (I know, it was a tragedy!). So when I was able to start wearing perfume again, this was one of the first bottles I bought.

I wore it twice. First time was excellent, I got compliments and it felt classy.
The next time, though, I began to feel a bit uneasy about it. I loved the top notes, it's a bit old-lady but I do like a good bit of old lady.

The third time I wore it, I started getting waves of nausea. It seemed this perfume had turned into horrid cold poison, and was trying to wash up my nose and remove my brain through scent alone! It went on the attack! I retaliated, and tried to scrub it off - to no avail. I was on a training day, and kept running off to wash my wrists, they must have thought i was OCD or something.
I then tried covering it up with an Avon purse bottle of soft musk, which only succeed in turning me off the musk for ages after that.

I dont know where or why the affaire ended. I didnt dump Arpege, it dumped me. It turned! What a sad breakup!

Inche
Inche

I have a vintage bottle.
For me, it is a strong floral bouquet.
Remind me ...Knowing by Estee Lauder

I bought a bottle of Extrait. It smells wonderful! It's sweet, peachy, amber, and warm. Makes me think of the warmth of Tuscany. I can detect subtle florals, particularly carnation, but maybe some lily as well. On my skin the base screams vetiver, which is one of my favorite notes, so I am enjoying the woodsy undertone to this floral perfume.

This was a great blind buy, but personally I prefer Chanel No5. But when I am tired of smelling like powder, peachy Arpege will not be far behind.

Marvella
Marvella

Some people compare Arpege to Chanel No5.IMHO Arpege compares favourably with No5.I used to wear No5 as my signature scent and i think it's sharp,proud and dignified.Arpege,I've bought it blind and I'm enchanted.Excellent,sensual,warm and classy scent.The dry down is very modern,delicate and pleasant.Intriguing,timeless masterpiece and must have for me.I appreciate black,art deco bottles.Moreover,perfect longevity and sillage.

ContessaAlessandra
ContessaAlessandra

I can't stand this smell.. Dont know why, but to me it smells just awful! I know that my friends hate it too

It almost hurt my nose when sniffing it on my skin?

Love the bottle thouh

to update my review: i just received a small vintage bottle of arpege and it didn't let me down. brought back great memories and the scent is as i remembered, warm and sweet with a spicy cream undertone. the best part, i'm old enough to wear it and savor it now.

gatsby

Love it on a mature woman neck... Like one last drop of pure cognac... last moment of a scented candle...and last note of a Verdi opera. Drop a little bit and just say: the night is young and the "YOUANDME" show has just begun...

honeysuckle
honeysuckle

It's growing on me, but it's still a bit unsettling somehow.

It's certainly one classy aldehyde in my opinion... the opening is pleasant. But as it starts drying down into the woodier notes, something weird comes out. I think it might be the coriander/geranium/lily that I'm getting that comes across kind of uniquely to me. It has a certain softness, though I wouldn't call it overly powdery... but lying underneath a layer of that powder there's something that feels "tough" to me. This is going to be a weird description, but I feel like I'm chewing on some really tough, bitter stem, but the outer skin of it is a bit fuzzy. It's just... I smell it and I feel like a bull seeing red. Something about it just unnerves me and leaves me feeling tense and anxious. I don't know exactly why, really.

Also, when I smell this on my skin, I feel like my body temperature goes up. It really is a warm fragrance. It smells hot. As a warm weather aficionado it's surprising that this would bother me, but it smells like not necessarily hot, humid weather, where you just take off layers and bathe in the sunshine - it smells like a human body overheating in a small, closed room. In a way. When I was a child, my mother would always have potted geranium plants sitting out on the back porch in full sun, and this fragrance feels like sitting on the porch smelling my mom's geraniums on the driest, most scorching days of summer.

(sidenote: I think my mom had pelargoniums, not true geraniums... I don't know how different they smell or if the geranium used here is "true geranium" or not, but the image of the fragrance still holds for me :P )

later on as the base notes start to come out more fully I begin to simply enjoy the fragrance a bit more - benzoin, sandalwood, vanilla - quite pleasant.

It's a fascinating perfume.
I think it's growing me.
I may keep it.... I'm not sure when I'll wear it but it's a fascinating perfume with a lot of character and presence. (but as a poor college student with an interest in perfume she can't really afford, I may have to get rid of it so that I can afford things I CAN wear... we'll see D: )

ReinaT
ReinaT

Arpege is a beautiful, classic floral fragrance. It's been around along time, a tribute to it's greatness. For me, it is a strong floral bouquet. It last a long time, it is very feminine but not really soft. It is a timeless classic for the sophisticated woman. A beautiful and timeless classic floral,a soft, sweet symphony... the lotion is also very nice and very feminine It smells very expensive, but the good news is, it isn't! I love the bottle with the mommy hugging her little girl! Another lovely sentimental attribute from this perfumer for her little daughter, and I think it's sweet! I love the lotion too!

Eleiria
Eleiria

I dislike aldehydes. Therefore, all those Chanels and similar fragrances are big no-nos to me. However I wanted to try this one because I really like Eclat d'Arpége and wanted to find similarities between that and this one. There's none. And this doesn't mean bad, because Arpége is a great fragrance.

At first, predictably enough, the burst of aldehydes made me almost gag. But, in half an hour or so, the fragrance became a rich, warm, a little zesty and a little soft, definitely a feminine one and I couldn't stop smelling myself. The sillage is excellent, you can smell it everywhere and it's long lasting to boot. It feels a bit old lady-ish, though if your chemistry suits, it'll be very beautiful at the young ages too --not too young, still.

Arpége is a bold fragrance. It's very warm, elegant and it basically hugs you. I love it.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Arpege is a strange fragrance on me. It took me a couple of applications to pin down just what it was that had me puzzled. Oranges and violet. As seperate entities, they are not particularly daunting but when combined turn into the dreaded "old lady smell" on me. I did get some warm, juicy fruits in the opening, which lasted all of one minuite, and immediately ran straight through what could have been a beautiful floral heart into one big powder bomb. Its a shame i cannot like this classic, but a big burst of powder, in a pastel, retro bathroom is not my style. Sadly, a scrubber for me.

larali
larali

I am testing this and I dare say I am in love. I have the flu, and this fragrance is simply warm and comforting to me right now. It makes me think of an old, but freshly washed quilt on a big, cozy bed. I think it's a perfume for women rather than girls (I am in my 30s and I feel I am just now reaching the appropriate age for these gorgeous classics.) I will buy this one and soon. Husband loves it as well.

the vintage arpege was a warm, almost hot, exotic smelling perfume. it was always too old for me, like a grown up. well, if i could get my hands on the real thing today, i would give it a try. i always loved this on my aunt. her signature scent. timeless perfection.

Alexandrarae

I am devastated - wore Arpege on my Wedding Day nearly 40 years ago and always keep a bottle in my perfume wardrobe for special occasions - my husband bought me a bottle of ea de parfum in a black box for Christmas. Upon opening it to wear on New Year's Eve sprayed with my normal confidence and was shattered at the harshness of the contents! Did not resemble "my" Arpege at all - the bottle was black as well (not clear as in the past)! Left it on for 20 minutes or so but it didn't get any better and I had to wash it off - made my husband sneeze and was giving me a headache! I took it back to the store where we purchased it and I was very pleased to get a full refund! What is going on - it has to have been re-formulated as I have been wearing and loving it for years and this is not the Arpege that I know at all. What a shame - has anyone else had this experience too? Please bring back to old one! If it's good, don't mess with it.

oona noir
oona noir

Tried the reformulated edition. It didn't smell bad, per se, but Arpege is the first perfume I've tested that tried to wear me instead of the other way around. I'm a strong lady, but this is one heck of a domineering brew. They say if you like No 5 you could blind buy this- no way. My mom wears No 5 as her signature and there is no way in hell she could pull this off. Personally, after my test I consider that a good thing.

LovelySally
LovelySally

The after Smell is strange, like flem. Made me feel ill in my gut.
As for the bottle, I love the Black Glass. Mysterious.

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

Add lots of rain soaked wood , skunk juice , pee , Dr Tichenors and 1 part awful chemical and BAM you have a dead wringer for Arpege. Oh its bad , SO bad. I think the only other fume that made me gag , cough and gasp for air like this was Aliage by Estee. So sorry to Arpege lovers. Its a deadly weapon to my lungs and olfactory senses. Pass.......

Marisa36
Marisa36

If I had to wear a fragrance from the 1920's then this would be it.... not Chanel No 5. There is something very warm and comforting about it, whereas Chanel No 5 leaves me cold. This is a true classic and I wouldn't mind having it in my colletion at all.

deadcountess
deadcountess

I tried to find a perfume that contains most of my favourite notes and I got Arpege. It sounds very exciting but I didn't find it yet. Definitely the first on my wish list. I just hope that it's not to agressive.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I really couldn't detect major aldehydes in this! It's a very warm, slightly sickly woody almond paste to my nose that reminds me of Gaultier 2 which I'm not keen on - it's kind of linear and although it wasn't a scrubber, I won't be buying it. It definately doesn't smell old fashioned though and I think that any age could wear it, especially in the winter - it's quite festive in it's blend of almonds and woods.

guest_Belle
guest_Belle

This perfume is grandmother and great-grandmother, but that's not a bad thing or an insult. Arpege is a woman who rarely exists in this modern age. She lives in a time gone by, rotating in her drawing room to the record on the phonograph, or comforting children when a World War is waged across the sea. Arpege is falling into a light sleep at the family home, full of history, on a spring day where the white curtains flutter in the wind, the garden blossoming outside and rays of light dancing gently on the window sill. This scent is the ultimate comfort and is a treasure.

At first, on me, it started as very musky and I was disappointed. But I waited patiently and the msot beautiful scent appeared, gentle and subtle, unlike anything that is found nowadays. I can't pinpoint any of the notes, but they all play together nicely. The scent becomes powdery and soapy, comforting. As someone under twenty, I can't help but feel it would be disrespectful of me to wear this. I hope that someday I can wear it when olding that special someone on a nice spring day. Special and intimate occassions only.

guest_Kimberly
guest_Kimberly

This reminds me of Secret De Venus the vintage version. It smells expensive!It is strong. I agree with those that mention chanel #5 comparisons a bit.

Kitty Noire
Kitty Noire

I bought it unsniffed today with the idea that I could give it to my mother or MIL, but I'll keep it for myself.
It's much softer than Chanel #5, which I never really liked.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

A legend !
So warm, so floral and powdery both....
A perfume to die for !

Annica
Annica

I so want to like it! Unfortunately, this is not a perfume for me. I realize that it does not suit my skin type. After I sprayed it on me my husband asked if I was to polish furniture. I sniffed my wrist and could not agree more. It does smell like furniture polish on me. I am the cleaning-lady, not the glamorous lady when I wear it, LOL. I am sorry, Arpege, others may love you instead.

TankGirl
TankGirl

An amazing perfume for evenings and christmas partys, really classic. On my skin its really woody, although the flowers are there but with an amazing blending. Its definatly sweet with a hint of sharpness that its really sensual I think.
It makes me think about a a classical beautifull lady with a long black dress entering a big dancing room. It requires a lot of charm, elegance and class to wear this. Not casual at all, as I said perfect to wear in a fancy party or dinner.

Sassy1

I have a sample of what I'm sure is the reform and it's a very nice soft floral with the geranium playing a dominant role to me.
When I spritzed this morning, I was concerned that it was too strong but after 2 hours it's smoothed out, very quiet and close to the skin.
It's a cold-weather-wrapped-up-in-a-cozy-sweater kind of thing, not boudoir or nightclub.
If it had a little more projection, I would wear it alot.
A definate "classic" that I'm sure I'll come back to.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Delicate and sophisticated. Your grandmother may have worn it but the scent was ahead of its time. The sweetness of peach and aldehyde note are balanced by that odd bloody smell of geranium. Knowing the notes you can find the violet but the blend is elusive and changes as you move and the day goes on. Sillage is tight and if applied lightly can be worn at almost any time. Applied at night with a freer hand and Arpege will summon a time when glamor actually had meaning.

blueberry
blueberry

I had never thought I would like aldehydes until I tried this masterpiece. What can I say when so much has been said below... simply a true, timeless and sophisticated classic. Very long lasting! I love it!

Kiku
Kiku

I recently found an old(at least 30 years)bottle of Arpege in my closet. The bottle is empty but the fragrance is still there, divine and feminine. I bought a new bottle, gave it a spray and almost ran to the bathroom to wash it off! The topnotes were a hideous combination of smoke and leather -- loud and cheap. But within 10 minutes the glorious old heart returned: roses, jasmine, and violets. The base is more vanilla than it used to be and it has that peculiar waxy something that so many reformulations have. But even a lesser version of Arpege is still better than almost everything else. A must for every vanity table.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

Aperge is one of the great classics in the perfume world. It is soft, warm and ultra feminine. I love to wear this perfume in the winter, it makes me feel warm and cosy like I am wrapped in soft cashmere. A beautiful perfume that I will always treasure.

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

I'm another who sees a piano, wooden stage, carpeted opera hall when I smell "Arpege". It's just so lovely and interesting, a real "character" of a scent, so to speak. This is an actress of The Stage, when leading actresses of The Stage ruled the world. It's Theodora Duncan, Gloria Swanson, The Denishawn Dancers ("pfftt--Zeigfeld, Smeigfeld, we're the REAL artists!"). It opens on a shimmering burst of aldehyde that smells a little like spilt champagne (stage direction: She giggles, continues to tell her story in grande, animated fashion and goes on). Then, a powdery, sweet but sheer woodiness (almost wood-pudding like) emerges, coupled with the striking, sweaty-dryness of storax ("What's my motivation?": She fluffs out her black, velvet dress--yes, it was stored in cedar--and releases a burst of humidity, some of the champagne still lingers on her skin). Finally, a rich, smoky density settles on creamy vanilla-bean and sandalwood (Final bow: She finishes both her story and her cigar, with the scent of sandalwood warming and drying on her fingers). "Arpege" is packed with character and worldly experience; she's funnier, spunkier, more stylish, dramatic and flamboyant than you or me, but is too classy to let us know it. She'd be a Diva if she didn't adore people so much. To get an idea of the character of this scent: Caswell-Masseys' "Casma" would be her best friend/partner-in-crime and Jean Patou's "1000" would be her other best friend, the responsible one who has to remind her when she's spent beyond her means and is forgetting to show-up for rehearsals (which would be, constantly)."Loulou" by Cacharel would be her protege and sidekick. My last thought on the glorious masterpiece that is "Arpege" is best summed-up in a line found in "Sunset Blvd.", where the butler, Max, explains just how fabulous the mistress of the house is, to soon to be boy-toy, William Holden:

"...She would recieve 17,000 letters in one week. Men bribed hairdressers to get a lock of her hair. There was a Maharaja who came all the way from India to beg one of her stockings from her---later on, he strangled himself with it."

Maki
Maki

Being fond of the more classic perfumes, I thought I had to try this one today so I sprayed a little on the back of my hand...
Smells expensive but I washed it off (which wasn't easy) as soon as I got home.
Too heavy was the load at the back of my hand and too heavy was the air I did breath.
Tobacco came to mind and medicine (of which the latter do follow the former in common - mind you...I do smoke)
I wouldn't dare to say that this perfume is not excellent but it doesn't match with my chemistry....

lucianasalem
lucianasalem

Arpege is sexy: but not in the sense of this decade (scantily clad, sticky lips). He brings us the mysterious sensuality of the divas of cinema (40's, 50's). I love moderns perfumes full of sex-appeal. But Arpege reigns over them.

Sissi
Sissi

Lanvin's Arpege is an warmer softer and
sweetish younger sister to Chanel no 5
The opening starts with an aldehyde note
but unlike Chanel's aldehydes which has an dryer more harsher drydown of citrus
and Bergamot. But in Arpege it's more
diluted and more softer to the senses'
The note of amber subdue most of the
aldehydes and an strong presence of
peach makes it sweet.

The powdery note of Irises raises above
the dominering note of amber the ellusive note of Lily of the vally and
the quietness of the elegant Calla Lily
floating though the notes
The bottom notes dries down to an dry
spicy coriander turnes to an powder
nuances of rose. after an hour or two
it turns to an fiery Sandalwood and the sweetness of vanilla the inner raisan
of benzoin and the very bottom of patchouli with it's grounded support
that comes in most perfumes.

Lanvin's Arpege with one spray conjours
images of the famous moniker Louise Brooks Lulu In Berlin i can picture
her wearing this in the movie Pandora's
Box a woman is sliped to an downward spiral into deprivaty and lust
walking though the shadowery streets of
berlin

Or picturing an first class Luxury train
compartment in 1935 elined with Sepia
toned marble tiles with gold bording
in a style of art deco smokey quartz
mirrors facing each other side by side
as your walking though an dimly lit hall
fashioned into an triangular shape with luxurious heavy drapery of different hues of brown An oriental rug fills the compartment of splender.
these are the emsemble cast of Charactors in the voyage of the damned

The sad crying clown a failed WW1 British Officer who save his men from the battle of Somme of 1916 A suicidal
Ballirina an penniless artist and his
subservent lover an Disponsed Count
and his devoted servent M.R Bhulagamskam and an faded beauty
who looks faded 30 years ago has stuck
to alcahol and her cigerettes with her gouldy wigs and her fake spiderweb lashes and bright blue eyeshadow

One of the Grand dame of perfumes
along with chanel no 5 Guerlian's l'heure bleu shalimar and Vol de Nuit.

guest_debob
guest_debob

I have the newer version of this perfume. Does anyone know where I can purchase a pre 1992 bottle of this?

guest_Anne
guest_Anne

Perfumes come and go, this perfume will live on forever. It is a masterpiece and radiates pure class. You will not be dissapionted but truly charmed by its devine aroma.

Arpege was an extremely surprising find for me.

I dismissed it before trying it because I had assumed Arpege was your classic, sharp aldehydic fragrance that only suited the more mature consumers. How wrong could I be?

This is no Chanel No.5. Arpege may be powdery and sophisticated, but it has such depth and elegance that somehow makes Arpege intriguingly sexy on the skin.

As a young woman, not even 20 yet, Arpege doesn't make me feel old or predictable. In fact, I feel very comfortable wearing Arpege, sexy almost.

It's mostly powdered jasmine, lily of the valley and ylang ylang to my nose, with a touch of spice. Very feminine and floral. I really cannot stop smelling my wrists with this one, which shows that aldehydic fragrances are really growing on me.

I must add that I am so much in love with this fragrance that I have ordered a mini straight away. However something tells me that a full bottle will be sitting on my dresser very soon.

Taliera
Taliera

Wow. I am in love with this perfume. The opening notes were impressive, pleasing and very old-fashioned; I felt myself asking "how can something be old-ladyish and sexy at the same time?". Well, that feeling faded quickly, because the forming of the composition and the note of licquerice (which was very strong on my skin) made me think "nope, nope, nope", then "YUCK!". But I'm glad I didn't wash it off, because half an hour later I started thinking, "where is that lovely smell coming from?" Then I realized it was Arpege! The dry-down just got better and better. There's so many words I could use to describe it... The first, and perhaps most fitting is "classy". It is unashamedly classy, stylish, sophisticated... And very French. It also smells expensive. I find it feminine, but in a strong and quite rounded way. It is definitely not for the faint hearted - this perfume gives you a punch - although there is delicacy there also... I think it could be mistaken for a Guerlain in character. Arpege is sweet, amazingly powdery, and very full-bodied at the same time. One of the reasons I think it's a great perfume is that it has all these opposites, that don't contradict, but rather highlight one another. The drydown is totally delicious, and very vintage, if you're into that. But you have to be prepared for smelling like a rich woman from the 20s, hair perfectly curled and fox furs draped around her shoulders - in my opinion! I think it's much more evocative of the 1920s-30s than say, Chanel No.5. And it's sexy, aphrodesiac-like. No... it doesn't suit my age, class, or time period. But I want it anyway!!

efm
efm

Advice please.
Can anyone tell me how to pick the Arpage of the 1980s by the packaging ? Any clues that help me find/ pick the pre-1990 reformulation from the newer version would be very welcome. (I assume Arpage 120 is clearly marked as such ).
Thanks

aromaminx
aromaminx

i hate chanel no 5...but i adore arpege.maybe it is the packaging i'm in love with,,,and the 70s advert..'promise her anything,but give her arpege'.
a beautiful journey of soft florals to my nose..from beginning to end,just beautiful

Aredore
Aredore

To me, the quintessential "perfume" scent. The little dab on my wrist smells EXACTLY like Chanel no 5. And why shouldn't it when they share many of the same top notes? (Neroli, aldehydes and Ylang ylang) The bergamot scent is light... I only catch wiffs of it hanging onto the edge of the Neroli.

From there the scent deepens and softens the rose opens up a dark deep rose. My overall impression is a blend of Chanel no 5 with rose and spice. This is a very beautiful perfume, and I actually prefer it to No 5.

IamWoman

At one time, my fragrance collection consisted solely of Arpege and Chanel #5 and fragrance life was simple and beautiful. Where #5 is floral, Arpege is a spicier, more sensual scent. It is elegant and gives me a "cozier",warmer dry-down compared to
Chanel's "powdery"dry-down. I tend to prefer Arpege during the fall/winter months (although I've worn it year-round), and Chanel during the spring/summer months (I've worn this year-round also). Arpege is a refined, woody/spicy/floral that is not sugary, but complex and understated. It is, like Chanel, definitely timeless. For me, this is a permanent member of my fragrance family.

geegee
geegee

I bought a 5ml bottle yesterday to sample...im in love with yet another perfume. The older ones are definately the better ones in my opinion.

Elegant, sophisticated & sensual from the first spray onwards. Long lasting, i can still smell it on me this morning after wearing it for bed.

I personally dont sense any vanilla but it is warm & envelopes your skin like an old friend giving you a hug.

Give me the old classics any day over the more 'fashionable' fragrances of today. This one is worthy of the title 'perfume' unlike many new fragrances.

A perfume to wear to feel classy & elegant. Wear it to the races or Henley & stand out from the sheep who follow fashion trends with perfumes.

A larger bottle is now on my wish list.

janabana123
janabana123

although i like the reformulated version really, the old vintage is really a dream!
its like a balm, folding you in its warm melody, embracing strong, but gently your body, softening your senses.
deep sigh from the bottom of my soul ...

Lady Love
Lady Love

I must say that I bought Arpege unsniff and i take some risk doing that, but when i try this perfume I knew it was worth every penny.

Arpege is all the chic and glamour of the 20's in one bottle, and i don't think this smell like oldlady cuz is so soft and sweet. A lot of overwhelming fragance from the 70's or 80's smell like the oldlady tipe but not this one.

Arphege is timeless.. a fragrance for luxurious events and for special occasions.. a little more sweet than Chanel N5 and more sophisticated. The powerlasting is great!

Every woman should have this fragrance!!

ktv0926
ktv0926

Why almost all old classics smell the same to me? Is it aldehyde? Or maybe gardenia? or just too many florals in one? Ah, and this particular heavy sweetness that you will never find in more contemporary fragrances... Sadly, this is the scent of the past for me.

blaqueskimo
blaqueskimo

I tested this in the store a week ago and had a test strip in my pocket. I couldn't get this scent out of my head and I mean this in a good way! It's deep, rich and sexy . A definite" Grown Woman" scent. A classic. I went back this week and purchased a large bottle to add to my collection.

Mina3
Mina3

One of the greats. It is divine classic...elegant, rapturous, yet refined. I prefer the warmer, peachier vintage juice, yet I get more compliments when I wear the new blend, which I find more sparkling and floral.
Though I am a lover of aldehydic blends in general, I have difficulty wearing them. They can smell great in the bottle but quite nasty on my skin. Arpege has never let me down. Sortilege is my all time favorite of the aldehyde group, but I don't wear it well. For those of you lucky ones that can wear it, you have my envy.

KalteStern
KalteStern

I had a bottle of this in 1977, and loved it to death, so much so that the very small bottle I was given for Xmas did not last long; it really was the absolute epitome of "French Perfume" - but the reformulated one really is not the same, so much so that I don't buy it these days, althugh I have re-tested it several times, just in case. Pity, but not a phenomenon unique to Arpege, sadly.

Ineffably beautiful.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

My mother wore this when I was a young girl. I remember the scent very well although I never wore it myself. It does smell alot like Chanel #5 but not quite. So when my mother passed away on a cold November day three years ago, I went to her house to settle the estate and one fine evening when I awoke at 2am in the morning, the whole bedroom smelled of Arpege! This is not a made up story-It really happened, it was my mothers way of telling me that she was there! I'll never forget that for the rest of my life. I will remember this scent FOREVER!

marysasmiro
marysasmiro

Arpege was one of my earliest perfume colletions. Got it as a miniature bottle sample from Myer in Gold Coast Australia back in 1993. I still have the bottle. It's nice to know it's one of the legendary classic perfume. It smells flowery but not powdery. Elegant.

Malegria
Malegria

I was dying to try it for such a long time and finally I had a chance due to generosity of a Fragrantica member, of course!
At first - aldehydes, jasmine, ylang...more ylang ylang then anything else. I could feel a resemblance with Chanel#5, but it ended at a certain point - if #5 is haughty and cold, Arpege is warm and inviting and then they go in different directions. I almost forgot it was on my skin after ylang ylang was replaced by other florals, but now, 6 hours later, I found the drydown to be fabulous.Spicy, warm, abundant...smells like nutmeg a bit:))) and it reminded me instantly of Ange ou Demon.

milena
milena

Arpege is my cup of tea.Definitely a classic along with Chanel No.5.

Frenchie-Loveday
Frenchie-Loveday

just one word...divine...in the same class...shapperrelli's..(cannot spell) Shocking, Patou's 1000, nina ricci fleur de fluer and faruouche, balenciaga's Quadrille (if only I could smell it once more) following closely behind L'heure Bleu...Channel no 5 I find is ghastly but then perfumes smell differently on different people...cocoa and 19 in channel is marginally better.

dina
dina

It was my mother's signature frag. for so many years, till they reproduce the new edp in the black long bottle. The reformulation is the most horrible thing that perfume makers do ...

guest_tanshi
guest_tanshi

it's my mom's signature fragance and just love this scent on her very unique

Gosh
Gosh

I own the EdP in black bottle. It sure contains good amount of aldehydes, because the "peach candle" projects strongly off my skin. To be honest I was surprised how fruity it is on my skin - I get the fruity whiffs for hours - not just at start. Noone mentioned it before, so it might be just my skin or my nose. Flowers smudged by aldehydes to abstract cloud are lovely and spices + sensual base are adding depth to the scent.
Can be worn by anyone who can wear it with style.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Arpege is uncompromisingly classic in its composition. Nothing could be further from the current fashion for foody fragrance. It isn't sweet and it doesn't beguile. I could instantly see it as a perfume for the opera or the ballet, the signature of a rich, older elegant woman. I kept getting the sense of it almost unfurling into a rich thick floral with deep spicy overtones. But on my skin, time, warmth and chemistry transform it into something different.

After about an hour the amber/musk/patchouli/sandalwood becomes warm and almost animal, very intimate indeed.
It is powerfully physical and feminine, to the point of almost (but not unpleasantly) like a faint erotic body odour. If a man was already mad for me I think this would enhance his senses, and if he was lukewarm this would repel him completely!

joliefille
joliefille

i love this one! it's so mesmerizing and uplifting. classy, long lasting - i get whiffs all day even with little application. although it may seem similar to no. 5(which i don't like and can never understand the fuss about it) but arpege has a personality of its own. very elegant, i love wearing it to office and special evenings.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I managed to snag a vintage set of 1/8 oz Extrait and a 2 oz bottle of EdT. One has to mourn these classic creations dying a slow death, its discount store dollar value insults the perfume's true worth in terms of artistry.

Arpege begins smelling reminiscent of Chanel No. 5, of aldehydes, powdery rose, iris, and indolic flowers of jasmine, lily of the valley, and tuberose. The aldehydes are not as pervasive as No. 5, and Arpege is less sweet.

After this heady floral aldehyde opening, a chypre tone appears with a clear note of coriander at its underbelly accompanied by green stemmy notes.

Woody and sensual notes come up pretty quickly as the coriander seems to be the only middle note left. It starts to smell much like leather. The base reminds me a lot of Joy (another sad swan song) without the uber-animalic notes of civet and musk. However, styrax seems to be the note that sensually rounds out the base until it exhales a woody trail of sandalwood and patchouli.

Interesting how Chanel No. 5 can stay alive all these years compared to Arpege. Honestly I don't think No. 5 is as interesting as Arpege, though given that No. 5 is definitely "prettier". No. 5 IMO seems to have nooks and crannies that need filling in to help a better transition. I think Lanvin would've stayed in focus if they had the boldness to market itself as the "quintessential" scent of femininity and a sex goddess to go along with it.

The extrait is full and rather bold with with its leathery notes, however the EdT is much easier to gravitate to. After the floral aldehyde opening, Arpege makes a great masculine scent.

True lovers of perfume can embrace vintage bottles of this for a steal and be happy that it could be had without killing themselves in a pool of their own buyer's remorse.

For those who like leather but cannot handle the animalic notes in Chanel's Cuir de Russie should give the more restrained Arpege a try.

hathor
hathor

to guest bg, yes there are still people around who like these classic smells!! they present more of a challenge to the senses than modern ones, maybe you have to learn to appreciate them. but, to me comparing these with modern smells is like comparing anna karenina with a throwaway paperback, or a beautiful old wooden boat with a lump of modern white fibreglass.they have so much depth and character. arpege does have something similar to chanel 5, which is my all time favourite, but also much more depth and warmth. i discovered it when 24 when a colleague gave me a bottle of the real perfume which she couldn't stand. now have it again as edp. with these little-known old classics you are guaranteed to smell different from the mass-produced sugary-sweet pink smells that dominate the market today, long live the classics!!

guest_amberberglund
guest_amberberglund

This perfume is nothing like Chanel No. 5...and there's something kind of off-putting about Arpege. I just found a vintage bottle of Arpege from Ebay. It does smell vintage. It smells like men's cologne, but, (and I mean this with all due respect) it smells like a gay man's cologne. Gayer than Jean Paul Gaultier's "Pour Homme" which is, quite possibly, the gayist scent ever created.
Arpege, I find it androgynous, falling slightly on the manly side. Like a cross between your grandpa's Brut and CK1. There's a cliche about white people who smell like "wet dog" and after a while, when the top notes of Arpege subside, what is left is that wet dog sort of smell.
What I just did was dab Chanel No. 5 over the Arpege...and that some how balances things out.

Darling Starling
Darling Starling

My grandmother adores this scent, and it truly works for her. When it comes to someone over the age of 60, fresh and clean scents don't often work well. Classic aldehyde and spicy scents work best, and this scent is truly classic! I find this scent feminine, but not in a screaming florals or rolled in pink sugar type of way. This scent is for the Jackie O type, very powerful and sure of one's self. I on the other hand can not wear this at all, it doesn't work with my body and seems to amplify as soon as it hits my skin. Half a spritz left me smelling life a perfume store all day. If you like very classic perfumes, this might be for you, but make sure you try it on before you buy it!

guest_guest bg
guest_guest bg

All the old classies smell alike to me-Chanel 5,Hermes Caleche,Arpege.They all give me terrible headache and make me dizzy.They are too strong and heady and i dont know if there is still someone who likes them(especially this one)They are from another era

chuaalba
chuaalba

if you like firs van cleff and arpels and arpege its almost the same.i love it

Smells a lot like aldehydic black rose on me. At the end of the day, there's a dark, resinous note that persists endlessly: This baby doesn't go away. Still, the peach and aldehydes together sometimes give me trouble, leaving a sort of muddy, tar-like scent that I've noticed with other fragrances of this era. It's not bad, but it's not my favorite. I love the idea of it's history, but Arpege and me may never become friends.EDIT: Today it has an almost cocounut note to it. Strange and compelling even when I'm still not sure it'll be a favorite. It does grow on you, hauntingly.

belle de sud
belle de sud

Arpege is a grande dame of perfumes; ladylike, powdery, a symphony of pleasing peach/rose/violet/santal loveliness and a homage to the woman who wears it like a fur coat! The fetching Art Deco logo of a mother and child bears witness to it's creator and her daughter's mutual love especially as the parfum was named by the little daughter. A must-have classic more pleasing to me than rival Chanel #5.

Belle de Sud

elgab89
elgab89

This to me is the perfect example of a perfume that is timeless. Not old fashioned, not outdated - just classic and elegant. I love that starts on such a positive note and dries down in a warm and comforting scent.
I cannot see the comparison to Chanel No.5 -sorry, except for the fact that both have aldehyde in it, they do have a different feel to it: No.5 is more sharp and confident, while this one embraces and caresses you, like a protective grand lady.

sealprincess

I think and this is only think that the black bottle is the 1993 re launched version and the clear is the 1927 version.

gypsyrose
gypsyrose

It is my all time favourite perfume, I am content to never wear a different fragrance. However my last bottle smelt different and I am somewhat confuded about the black and clear bottles can anyone tell me the difference?

sealprincess

This stinks! When I smell it I think of a really, REALLY old bottle of Channel No.5. Maybe this would be good on a older lady, like 70 or 80. I'll wear it once in awhile but not much. It's good to have for my collection though.

Halvah
Halvah

Afraafra, I would say it's definetely feminine - on me, but I've never smelled it on a man, so have a trial! I can't exclude that it may work on a man's skin, actually, it might be deep enough for that. Women or men - this perfume is not for young people.

xnyorkr
xnyorkr

For the life of me, I cannot remember why I didn't like it. It's a warm, floral aldehyde of the classiest type. It does not have the bitter dry-down of Chanel #5. If you like this, you might also like #5, L'Aimant, Wind Song, Bourbon French Festival, and Leonard Tamasa.

2007
Urban Skies
Urban Skies

A warm, sultry, classic perfume from 1927. I recommend it if you like Chanel No. 5.

2007

Lanvin Arpege Eau De Parfum Spray Black Bottle 50ml 1.7oz
Lanvin Arpege Eau De Parfum Spray Black Bottle 50ml 1.7oz
Lanvin Arpege Edp Spray Black Bottle 100ml 3.3oz
Lanvin Arpege Edp Spray Black Bottle 100ml 3.3oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Lanvin Arpege fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Lanvin Arpege, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Arpege by Lanvin. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Arpege by Lanvin represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.