Designers » L » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Rumeur Lanvin for women
dislike

I have it: 444 I had it: 279 I want it: 177 My signature: 10

Rumeur Lanvin for women Pictures

The perfume in which white flowers harmonize with musky base notes. The twinkly top notes of magnolia pour into a classic wave of aldehydes. The heart is sewed of white petals: white rose, jasmine, lily of the valley and fake orange, the scent of which reminds of orange blossom. The base smells on clear patchouli and musk. The perfume was created by Francis Kurkdjian in 2006.

Magnolia

Orange Blossom Plum Rose Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley

Amber Patchouli Musk

Lovely
Lazy Sunday Morning

Rumeur Fragrance Reviews

Miyuki
Miyuki

This is a really grown up scent. Too grown up for me.
It reminds me of some kind of old fashioned soap.
Not a bad fragrance, but it's just not for me. Too soapy and too grown up.

Positive points: Longlasting! The bottle is fun!

anemon
anemon

Beautiful, clean magnolia scent. Rose note gives its delicateness and patchouli makes it firm and fierce. Great potency!

Rumeur is a grown up scent, not elderly. It isn't a sweet candy saturated scent that everyone likes, it is complex, a bit spicy, sensuous too, complex, this is a French perfume designed for the one looking for a special perfume...I personally find it attractive, but it is edgy, it isn't a crowd pleaser, in winter I like wearing it, it just is so unique.but you need to be in a certain mood..still, nice creation!

miss_piggy
miss_piggy

I can't even begin to say how happy I was when I'd finally used up my sample. This is to the nose what Everclear is to the liver.

Bedhead
Bedhead

One reviewer described this as "elderly." Right on. Very elderly indeed. NOT what I am used to from Lanvin--makers of the lovely ME and Éclat De Arpege--by any means. I want to sniff what *dahliafleur* was smelling, because all I get from my little Saks sample spray is old, heavy, a even a bit metallic.

A few reviewers mentioned that this is a reformulation. Maybe that's the problem? This just isn't nice at all. Pleasant, but only for a moment, then I want to get away, but the scent is so heavy that it follows me everywhere. It gets even stronger on drydown.

Liebetx
Liebetx

Oh, Rumeur! How I have missed you! This had been my standby for years until about a year ago when I ventured off into a perfume adventure-land to see if I could learn to appreciate the gourmands and sweet scents. As of today, I am adding Rumeur back into the rotation. The sweet, girly scents are nice but I haven't been a girl for many years.

Yes, the first few minutes there is definitely a jarring acetone note. You will also smell acetone if you just sniff the nozzle. It is a hideous note. However, the acetone very quickly dissipates to reveal Rumeur's floral beauty.

It's soft and warm on me and not too sweet. White floral but the amber and leather really come through with my body chemistry. Rumeur is an elegant, seductive lady wearing nothing but a fur coat and pearls as she drapes herself languidly across a leather settee before a roaring fire. She drinks scotch and has a husky voice. There is nothing girly about this woman. She can play with the big boys and conquer them in their games.

Blu Garcon
Blu Garcon

I really don't like leaving bad reviews for perfume houses that I love, love, love, love but LANVIN really dropped the ball on this classic by remaking it and repackaging it too.

First off, it looks like an oil lamp from olden times and that isn't so bad but it just doesn't have Vanity Top Appeal.

Secondly, and most importantly, WHY DID THEY REFORMULATE A CLASSIC??? The Original is a costus(a musky animalic essence no longer in production and verboten too boot!) concoction wrapped in a well-worn, driving kidskin glove(leathery), blended with a chypre enchanted moss and slapped with musky animalic attitude(pure civet, thank you); it's a masterpiece, it's a perfume hall of fame inductee, IT'S A PERFUMISTA MUST HAVE. It truly is a Film Noir Femme Fatale. It's very much along the lines of her older sister, Scandal. But Rumeur 2006 is a travesty; it smells like a poor knock-off of Chanel's Mademoiselle...except Rumeur 2006 smells like dirty pedicure water; like someone used a chypre floral to mask sweaty, smelly feet, ACK!

My third bone to pick, and last, is how could master and niche perfumer "Francis Kurkdjian" create such a terrible perfume? I actually have the 1/2 oz parfum extrait of Rumeur 2006; I got it real cheap on ebay too...for under $35; I've have Avon(Occur parfum) and Jovan(Vintage Musk Oil) perfumes that have cost more and were a mere DRAM or two in volume. THAT IS ALL.

Castor
Castor

This review is on the vintage version of Lanvin's Rumeur.

I perceive a floral leather, with some aldehydes in the top notes. After the florals are gone, I get a creamy floral surrounded by a lightly leather - animalic accord that projects more than decently (OK, I feel like a dad in drag). The dominant base note is clearly creamy, powdery, floral and lightly aldehydic. The drydown has a very classic feeling - it reminds me of classic men's colognes.

I did not give it a full wear. So I cannot attest as to its "real life" longevity and silage: it is a "lotion". No idea how this translates to the common denominations (EdC, EdT, etc.). It is not a Parfum nor an Extrait (which would be obvious as to the bottle).

It is quite funny what I get from it: old people's scent judging from perceptions as to this review (an apartment I happened to visit some days ago built in the 20s comes to mind, mind you, old but wonderful), but I imagine that if marketed under a costly packaging, it would be a perfect niche scent.

You get the idea. I guess...

One more questions: what is the idea behind the brand's management? Demean it?

Juliana6
Juliana6

On me it's changing all the time. Like rumor -from ear to ear.
I can understand those who get the opening of this scent as a nail polish remover. I agree, first 5 minutes I smell it too. But then this perfume becomes softer, rounded, there is a vibe of the sophistication. In the end, it turns into a classic, white floral, grown up fragrance. It's quite strong (and then yes- it smells like a nail polish remover if used without any moderation), so be careful. I'm not crazy about the top notes but when they fade, It's quite wearable and classy. Not for every day. I agree, it reminds Narciso Rodrigez (in the black bottle), but just reminds it! A modern perfume with a vintage touch. Clean, maybe a bit expensive soapy.
I'd be more pleased if they had payed more attention to the bottle, I don't like it at all. The top reminds me that thing I use to close the hole in my bathtub in order to fill it with water. Sorry about that.

Update
I gave it many chances but I couldn't get over that acetone opening. So sorry and sad about it. It means I rather dislike it than like, but I don't hate it. Today I gave it to my colleague who is crazy about it. I don't think it was a waste of money, it was just the price of the experience.

Femigirl
Femigirl

Industrial paint stripper. That is all.

larita91
larita91

I don't know why so many people dislike this fragrance....I know what you mean by that nail polish smell, but I only get that for the first minute, than it becomes quite linear flowery scent. To my nose, this is very similar to Marry Me!......although Marry Me is more citrusy, fresher, cleaner and Rumeur is a little bit sweeter and sharper. There are differences between the two, but the basic seems to be the same to me.

For the first sniff, I hated this. 10 minutes later, I was in love, and still is. Sweet flowery scent, loud and sexy, but not sexy for a date, it is an everyday sexy scent. Smell of an elegant, confident, beautiful woman, NOT OLD AT ALL!!! At least not to me, I'm 22... ;)

Sillage is really good, but longetivity (2-3 hrs) isn't to my sorrow. But all in all, I like this.

EDIT: We're totally in love. I just can't get enough of this superfeminim giant flower bouquet kick in my ass... <3 :)

I smell neither paint stripper nor nail polish remover.
Although the accords list rose & patchouli highly, I don't really get either of them in Rumeur.
On my skin, Rumeur is a soft, creamy musk with magnolia and lily of the valley. A fairly classic floral, but certainly appropriate for younger ladies as well.
I'm actually not usually a fan of aldehydes. I often find them bitter and soapy. In the case of Rumeur, they add a sparkling freshness.
Sillage is moderate for me, good lasting power of about 6-8 hrs.

I've never seen a more ugly bottle in my life, but that's not the issue. It was on sale and therefor got my attention. I don't like blind buys, but being on sale and testing is kind of a problem so it seemed.
It really didn't smell that bad at all and I think the girl behind the counter thought so too when she opened a 5ml. bottle to let me have a whiff.
After trying several times at home I must say, to me this is the soapy bath, and so much more. Musky and a bit metallic/aldehydic(?), in a good way. Fresh but also warm and powerfull. Not old fashionned at all. Well maybe it is, I'm 47... Not artificial eiter. I am really surprised there are so many people disliking this frag.
I like it very much. Longevity is gooood and what do I care about sillage?

celia46
celia46

I was enchanted to this fragrance when it was lauched, so my mum gave the 100 ml as a birthday gift. The first time I was very happy and I recieved a lot of compliments.

But then I got bored ... The scent is floral but strong, and last almost the 6 hours in your clothes, so try it two or three times before you buy it.

nyoka

Is it me??? I wanted,NO,longed to love this. It has all the notes I love and I wa sure it would be a 10. But,NO! From the very beginning until the most anticipated end,it reeks of PERM SOLUTION! For YEARS I stood on my feet doing hair. From the awful,awful smell of perms in the late 60s till the not so bad scent of them in the 80s. One spray of this,and,I am back in a white uniform,hair teased up to there,cat eye liner and heavily frosted pink lipstick!! I am there with a customer that refuses to be satisfied at 8 30 pm on a Saturday nite. I am wrapped in a cloud of perm solution and rollers!!! MY feet are killing me!!! NO!NO!NO!... I usually can find SOMETHING that redeems most fumes but this one is awful.(on me)
I hope u find it ur Holy Grail but for me its a never again!

margien
margien

I recognize what is said about the nailpolish smell, upon first spray, but I actually like it, the synthetic/aldehyde scent, quite fruity. To me it is a more complex scent than Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker, For Her by Narciso Rodriguez or Cabaret bij Gres, but all three have a rose/musk/patchouli drydown/base. The staying power of all these perfumes is very good, by the way (on me). Powdery perhaps in the end, but quite sharp in the beginning and middle, which I like. Very good and elegant perfume in my opinion.

dahliafleur
dahliafleur

I wore this today to a lecture and at first this perfume starts off with a rich floral soapy clean smell but after an hour I could smell fresh luxurious plums with a hint of sweet powdery florals; I was so surprised when I realized it was me. This fragrance is so floral I was amazed with the sudden transition into a sweet gourmand. The smell was merciless and powerful and so divine I was too distracted to pay attention to my lecturer...

Rumeur is supreme quality, definitely doesn't require the usually trigger-happy over dosage of perfume I apply on myself with my other fragrances! Rumeur will last for hours on the skin, and stick to your clothes, and even scent your hair a little, while turning heads; this is elegant and sassy.

If this didn't have a heady balmy soapy opening (as some people suggested they smelt alcohol) the bottle you smelt is either a fake or a bad bottle. Sadly Lanvin products are not so popular so the bottles get thrown around the parallel imports/ discount stores. I guarantee a real genuine bottle of Rumeur is absolutely delicious, not a hint of alcohol, and powdery plum heaven of the skin!

Besmertni
Besmertni

An exclusive and classy perfume fragrance!

I'm not exactly sure why Lanvin Rumeur is so widely disliked. I consider it to be quite inoffensive, clean and soft. If anything, I would have expected it to be an easy crowd-pleaser.

It's a fairly basic floral to my nose, with a slightly creamy and clean quality. I can smell magnolia, jasmine, rose and lily of the valley in this composition. Rumeur is not far off the scent of face cream. I find it quite soothing and delicate on the skin.

The drydown is a touch heavier, with a rich patchouli and musk blend complimenting the floral notes. I agree that Rumeur resembles Kate Moss' signature fragrance and Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely. Thankfully I don't get the metallic, nail polish remover accord that everyone seems to be complaining of.

Fragrance can be such a personal thing, so despite my rave review, I would advise that you test Rumeur before considering a purchase. It should be relatively easy to find a tester in any discount store.

I certainly enjoyed Rumeur a lot more than I did its flanker, Rumeur 2 Rose. Lanvin's affordability these days is no reflection on its quality. I have a ton of respect for this classic brand.

gylyweed
gylyweed

Nice vintage scent. But it doesnt suit my personality. So i gave it to my mom.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

I'm amazed this is a modern formulation as it smells very 1950s vintage to me. It smells like perfume used to smell, with no hints of today's modern synthetics.

When I wore it, it made me imagine my grandmother in the 40s or 50s going to glamorous parties and wearing gloves and pearls.

The more I wear it, the more I like it. It has a respectable place in today's modern world, outclassing the smell-a-like fruity florals that seem to be everywhere.

It starts as a high, almost sharp old fashioned scent, but as the skin warms it up it becomes rose, musk, sandalwood and amber. I love that it avoided the temptation, so frequent today, to drown a good scent in vanilla or blueberries or candy floss.

This perfume is a string of pearls among the brass. Classy, elegant and sophisticated.

sally.west1
sally.west1

I am now nearly half way through my bottle of Rumeur. I love it when I need a good "workhorse" fragrance that's not too "in your face" and "kooky"! Its a very warm floral with musky drydown and lasts all day on me! Very good sillage and a good workplace perfume as its not too strong and has a warm, friendly persona! When I first bought Rumeur I thought it was a very old perfume and I was surprised to see that it was only formulated in 2006! It has a vintage charm to it and is not a "girly" perfume. Grown-up, charming and wearable.

julieanneh
julieanneh

I smelt this today for the first time and it was love at first sniff!
It is strong but thats one thing I like about it. I love Jasmine so i think that is why I like it so much. I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Maybe I need to also buy a Jasmine plant or shrub or something.

Edit: ended up buying it and giving it to my mum. Longevity is poor. I got an hour.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

This opens like my nail polish remover which at first makes me recoil in horror! But I know better than to judge a perfume in its first few seconds. Then it settles into a soft musky rose and lily of the valley scent. It's floral and musky. That's about it. Very good for a day when you want a "no-brainer" kind of fragrance.

It is not without reminding me of Moschino cheap and chic with its musky cyclamen opening that I do not like. I much prefer musk with magnolia! This is nicer to me.

If you have a cute mini like me, watch for evaporation!!! Mine is reduced to half now because the lid is not hermetic. I put a piece of medical tape in between the opening and the little lid. Stay in the tiny bottle, you pretty scent!!! Where do you think you're going!? haha

Also if you are a lover of feminine musky florals (Lovely, Moschino Cheap and chic, etc) I recommend this because for a Lanvin, it is quite affordable online!

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

Harsh and soft, dusty and fresh, heavy and light, dark and bright, rebellious and elegant, old fashioned and modern. It's all about the opposites. This is Rumeur.

Zoharsinai
Zoharsinai

La partida del perfume es bastante femenina en tonos florales dulces en la línea de las rosas frescas y peonias jóvenes. El estilo es tradicional moderno... En notas medias mantiene el floral femenino, pero agrega una nueva nota de flor más densa y con más personalidad pero siguiendo con un estilo joven y moderno. Magnolia o la flor de jeringuilla en un estilo de jardín bien preparado o ramo de flores elegante. También se siente un alimonado verde, que al oler con más detención se siente como un pachulí fresco y bastante natural. La estela que desprende es bastante alta, cargada a las rosas búlgaras que se siente a varios metros de distancia, mientras que directamente del papel predominan las naranjas y el pachulí con dejos de jazmín. En notas finales tiende a un estilo más polvoso y a florales más apagados pero todavía intensos, con un aroma a jazmín distinguiéndose como la veta fresca del grupo, pero como una nota más floral tradicional que jabonosa.

Este perfume se siente como dos fragancias diferentes, partiendo con un floral moderno bastante de diario y con una imagen muy femenina, apegándose a florales tradicionales estructurados de manera grata y no vieja para cualquier época del año, mientras que desde la fase media y ya en plena fase final comienza a mostrar un carácter floral más clásico y algo más serio, apegado a rosas búlgaras elegantes y con una estela de bastante potencia para destacar de noche, de preferencia en primavera y verano.

smellarama
smellarama

It's 'nice' - I do not hate it, but only in the tiniest doses as it is powerful and can go a bit 'stale' in warm/hot weather. One for a really cold day after a shower.

lulu7898
lulu7898

This blind buy an absolute success! I purchased a mini because of the musky florals. I've been very stressed out and the first whiff, I felt relaxed and rejuvenated. I never realized how much power a scent could have. I've always been a rose and musk person, but the beautiful magnolia, jasmine and musk makes for one extraordinary perfume!

bubububzy
bubububzy

I adore this heavy floral number, its sophistication in a bottle. Blast of magnolia and roses makes the perfume wee bit special for me. I certainly get a slight citrusy tinge too. It is a well balanced perfume with an elegant touch. This beauty could be worn during day or night all year around.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

On me Rumeur is a slightly synthetic ultra freesia/mandarin type of scent with a good dose of patchouli. It is quite delicious and I have owned a couple of miniatures but never purchased the big size. Something must be telling me this is not quite me.

cinsot
cinsot

The notoriously temperamental Rumeur loves me. Thankfully I am spared the "nail varnish/acetone" description which has left an audible hum in my ears.

Actually it is there, but my nose interprets the initial challenging blast as an organic overripe pear note. I first noticed it in Guerlain's Idylle. It acts as a tempter of sorts, evidence of a volatile fruit based musk lurking below. I get very excited when I smell it in other perfumes!

Rumeur is no exception.

It is difficult not to visualise a gigantic magnolia tree in full bloom with twisted grey branches, sparse greenery and exquisite blooms. The ancient tree on the nature strip in my street makes my heart ache every time I drive/walk/ride past, I am often overwhelmed by its majestic beauty. The distinctive tingly aroma of magnolia swells and subsides throughout the evolution of Rumeur.

Roses and plums twinkle alongside a handpicked posy of lily-of-the-valley, jasmine and orange blossoms garnished with spare patchouli. Amber gives way to a creamy conserved fruit musk in the base.

Springtime in a bottle. Gorgeous.

PS. LadyRogue I love your review. It seems this "Classy French Lady" has veritably seduced me.

DeborahKimB
DeborahKimB

Elegant, but very special. The scent opens with a very heavy scent of alcohol, which I really hate, but after that it turns into a very warm, feminine scent that stays for hours. I think it's very wearable to any occassions, for work too. Absolutely one of my favourite perfumes of all times!

agdimitrova
agdimitrova

Feminine, elegant and long lasting! Slight aroma of ripe pear ...

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

After reading some reviews from fellow perfumistas about Rumeur I can only be -yet again- amazed at how our chemistry and sense of smell makes each fragrance an utterly personal experience. I can only smile at the name and how appropriate it is: Rumeur (rumours, talk, buzz etc) Indeed! Rumeur causes a lot of that, it is a hate or love fragrance and if it were a woman she would say with a posh french accent: "love me or hate me but don't dare to be indifferent to me! Merde!" ; )

Love at first sniff is what I experienced with this beautiful darling. No nail-polish remover or plastic notes at all. Au contraire; roses with the most amazing mock orange (the note listed called "fake orange" is wrong - that should be mock orange. Mock orange smells like orange, jasmine and lilac.) than jasmine and a heavenly magnolia unfold their beautiful note opera, followed by a dry down of musk dipped in a soft vanilla. -the patchouli is not at all noticeable to me, but perhaps it's hiding behind the musk?- Hmmm It's quite a beauty.
It cannot be compared to the other Lanvin classic Lady called Arpege -- Arpege is sultry in an oriental, vintage way. Whereas Rumeur is more like a delicious floral (slightly fruity) Lady with a soft powdery dry down. A hint of vintage vibe floats around her, but it is a vintage that is timeless in its beauty.

The orange-rose notes combine to my nose to something like Chanels Mademoiselle but with far more rose. A rose with an orange edge, a magnolia cloud and a faint vanilla/musk dry-down. And it lasts and lasts. People stop me and ask me what that delicious scent is that is trailing and softly embracing me. It's divine and not linear but extremely expressive in its note development. A "mood stone" among perfumes. I love it! And I haven't even mentioned the gorgeous and classy bottle. Tres chic! Tres beau!

To me this Lanvin is right up there with Chanels classy Ladies. I don't get Kate Moss from it, only in the fact that there is a rose note. KM is more basic and less multi faceted, whereas Rumeur smells complex and extremely well crafted. Don't judge this one by reviews, try it on your skin and see if this classy French Lady is in the mood to seduce you. If she does, I guarantee that you'll have a new great love in your life, and it all started with a Rumeur! ; )

Silage is: "OMG! I'm being seduced with roses, magnolia, lilac and fresh oranges! YUM!" -- Longevity is awesome 10+ hours. Real value for your money.
An affair that will last until they stop making it and I can't find it anymore. *LOVE*

mery09
mery09

Great sillage and impressive staying power.I love the dry down,elegant, sophisticated fragrance.Perfect for evening.

0lga5
0lga5

I bought mine at TJMaxx. smelled it and fell in love but I tried it on my skin a few times and it made me nauseous (a lot of parfumes do that to me).
I found it very elegant, parfume with no age tag.

annahaener
annahaener

smell of the cheapest alcohol - nothing else, I have full 50 ml botlle full, if anyone need it - pm me:)

This fragrance reminds a huge bouquet of white flowers intensive scent, except the fact that it smells vintage.

The magnolia note is the most noticeable in this floral fragrance mixed with the white rose, syringa and jasmine notes on the very musky base, which doesn't seem as pleasant as the flowers, actually.

I like the flowers, because they smell natural enough, only I don't like that they smell vintage. Also I don't like the musky base, because it smells animalistic and not pleasant at all. But most of all I can't stand top of the bottle metallic smell what its made of. It spoils all the fragrance. Never had such problems with perfume bottles before. But anyway I like this fragrance much more than Rumeur 2 Rose. Besides, the lasting power is good and the sillage is strong.

LanaD
LanaD

It was a blind purchase at the TJMaxx. I'm 26 and I love it; I'm not agree with people who says this is a Grandma's perfume. Great for evening or night out.

shoshana25
shoshana25

An ex-co-worker of mine use to wear this perfume and it drove me CRAZY! For the ENTIRE day she would smell like she took a nice, long, luxurious bath with a beautiful soap. Love!

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

I sprayed this on about 20 minutes ago, and now I'm brewing a pot of coffee. Funny...the two actually smell good together. :) Coffee, anyone??

dbarabanova
dbarabanova

Beautiful, gentle, feminine. I didn't like it at first, but when I started to ware it - it is just amazing . . . and very long, long, long lasting on my clothes and skin .

Augusta_Aura
Augusta_Aura

My first and last blind purchase - the story ended with selling it with big discount the very next day: I couldn't even stand the view of the box.

sheridanellis

I have a 95% full bottle of this that I would love to trade for another kind of floral musk perfume if anyone is interested? I bought this thinking I would love it but I just don't and hate to see it just going to waste. Please message me w/info or offer if interested! Thank you and Happy New Year :)

CHOCAHOLIC
CHOCAHOLIC

On my skin, it is a musky scent with a very powdery drydown. Soft, floral, enchanting, it is a perfume of pure elegance. Classy and sexy, I can imagine that this could be worn at work as well as more romantic occassions.

cammellina85
cammellina85

I've just bought it as a Xmas present for my mom! I got it for very cheap on ebay, and I think she will definitely like it! It's quite sophisticated and very strong, it lasts forever! I really like it, especially the drydown, but I don't think I'll buy another bottle for me, because in my opinion this strong magnolia scent suits better mature people... Anyway, the bottle is really elegant!
Price: 27 euros for 100 ml EDP

pickledtink
pickledtink

Opening: magnolia, aldehyde. However the rose enters swiftly replacing the rather sharp aldehyde within minutes so a sweet but soft floral emerges true to form. Which is the disappointing warning of what to expect.
The muguet. Yes.
The jasmine. Yes.
So we wait.
Nothing more.
Not crass or sickly sweet but so what?

Where is the Plum? It needs it so badly to take it from the commonplace but when it arrives it is so faint and fleeting, the promise unfulfilled then gone forever.
A stronger presence of vibrant but luscious tangy Plum could have lifted this into something of real interest.Mais non.
Also noted wholly by its absence is the orange blossom. A mild attempt suggests itself for a moment then dies never to return.
These two notes could have saved this from mediocrity. Sadly not.
This lacks depth or spritz nor has it any discernible bridge notes. Even the unimaginative base notes are wishy washy without heart or soul.
Simple and boring.
Not a lot of effort went into this that's for sure. Somebody just phoned this one in on their day off. It could be any of the hundreds of identical safe formulae out there.

This from the house which created Arpege!

Not the original juice we understand and no attempt to capture even the essence of the original. Whichever 'nose' had the nerve to present this should be forced to smell boiled tripe for eternity. An insult to the original, Lanvin and perfumistas everywhere.
Unimaginative and lazy. Pah!

id
id

musk and strong magnolia with the rose and lily of the valley creates sharp and some kind of artificial opening. After sometime it becomes soft powdery and interesting. Take your time while testing it.

calyx93
calyx93

Love how the description above states, "The heart is sewed of white petals: white rose, jasmine, lily of the valley and fake orange, the scent of which reminds of orange blossom."

Fake orange? Lol!

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

I had this. I bought a bottle from TJMAXX for $10 . It smelled sort of hairspray + Lily of the valley on me, I never wore it so I passed it to my Mom . It is very VERY similar to SJP Lovely (had and passed that one too).
The blend on these just didn't please me. I love SJP Twilight (Vanilla musk) and other LotV scents (Envy,Jessica McClintock) .
I REALLY want to try the vintage Rumeur ,Scandal and Crescendo,as the vintages in Arpege, My Sin,and Pretexte are really beautiful (at least to this nose!).

Vamy69
Vamy69

I really love this perfume. I have read where people think that it smells like nail polish but on me this works fabulously! Smells floral-fruity-woody to me and the lasting power is divine!

Bluekey
Bluekey

Absolutely horrible! It smells like cardboard to me... yes, cardboard!

takeasniff
takeasniff

I got this on special and I had read that it was a lovely quality perfume so I grabbed a bottle. Well I have been on a journey to the moon and back to say the least. Most perfumes I either know I like or dislike them it doesn't take long. This one really confused me. I sprayed it loved the nailvarnish smell then hated the dry down. Then another day hated the nail polish smell but loved the dry down. Then another day loved it from start to finish. The next day hated it just sniffing from the bottle and thought what the hell have I purchased. I wore it to a family dinner and it was a warm night. I went outside to say goodby to someone and this beautiful smell kept drifting around me and my mother inlaw said you smell nice and she never likes perfume other than Estee Lauder Estee and Jennifer Lopez Glow. I agreed with her. At times with this perfume I could smell SJP's Lovely and at other times Curious by Britney Spears. I tried it again and it has finally grown on me I can appreciate how it changes as you are wearing it. Most perfumes for me got straight to the drydown and stay there but this one is always changing and it is very noticeable. It can give a headache if too much is used. I found it lasted well on me but took several tries to ease myself into it. Almost like when you travel you get used to your surroundings eventually and can't imagine that it seemed strange to you at the beginning this perfume is like that for me it simply cannot be understood with one test or spray on a card or wrist it takes some testing before you understand where it is heading and what Lanvin have tried to achieve with it.

boruvka44
boruvka44

It truly is Lovely (clone of SJP`s one:) I like both.

Migalex
Migalex

Marvellous perfume, much better than most of the other perfumes out there now. Very ethereal, totally different from most of the other perfumes, which in comparison smell sticky and down to earth, actually down to your skin, with little or no projection at all. I agree that in the opening it smells a bit not so much of acetone but of nail varnish, but that does actually contribute to give it its volatile and aereal character which makes it so special. In the opening it is actually literally intoxicating, making my head feel warm as if due to blood vessels dilation, a bit like the effect of alcohol. I find it very difficult to distinguish the individual notes, the smell coming out as quite cohese. As for the similarities with Narciso Rodriguez for her, I do not agree totally with what has been said by other members. I can find some similarities, which become more noticeable with time. Four hours after application it smells quite similar to NR for her. But as said before by other members, Rumeur is much more aereal and floral, NR for her being more musky and sensual. Rumeur is nevertheless, from my viewpoint, much more special, due to its ethereal texture. It is also much more powerfull, with much better sillage and longevity, and I am comparing it to NR eau de Parfum. I think Rumeur has become a commercial failure, but I cannot understand why. It smells unique, unlike any other perfume, with its light, ethereal texture, and has great silage and stayimg power. And it does have a classical touch. Marvellous, fantastic fragrance.
PS - I absolutely adore this perfume. I find it intoxicating. Its smells of women's hairdressers, which I love, and brings me back in time to when as a child, I sat down in my mother's hairdresser waiting for her to have her hair done. And staying power is really really good. I wake up the next morning smelling it everywhere. I even like it better than Narciso Rodriguez. Narciso Rodriguez has a more prononuced bitter musky twist, but Rumeur does also have it although less noticeable. Rumeur is much sweeter and airy, volatile, NR is more bitter and creamier, earthier and sexier. I do find them very diferente actually although I agree they are very much the same type of fragrance. Rumeur is the perfume of the dreams to me.

daliflora
daliflora

I've got it recently for my mother as a birthday present and it smells like a classic fragrance (perhaps the bottle enhances that impression too), although not a WOW one. I heard the original Rumeur has been discontinued by Lanvin and what there is now in stores is a rather milder-powdery expression of the vintage edition. It is indeed a bit too "elderly" to wear for a younger woman, but still very elegant and refined. Can be excellent as a gift for more mature ladies who prefer classics.

Up-date: I feel a kind of medicinal, aldehydic musky magnolia when my mother wears it. There is something rather sour and old about it which I'm not sure I like. I disagree with fragrantica's judgement that those who like this may also like Lacoste pour Femme. There is a big gap between these two perfumes in terms of beauty, freshness, and even class.

I.I
I.I

Well, it didn't impress me that much. I was expecting more from a Lanvin perfume. Magnolia scent is not at all fresh, one could say it's a 'dirty' and 'hidden' magnolia.
Didn't word well on me.

Anissa
Anissa

This is soooo lovely.Like someone has mixed my 2 favourites Ralph Lauren Romance and Narciso Rodriques For Her EDP together.It`s little harsh white flower scent at first but settles beautifully to amazing and alluring woodsy magnolia musk scent.This has become right away my favourite number one!!!

Katrusya31
Katrusya31

it is so nice! lovely scent!

madhatter1
madhatter1

Bought cheap. It is nice sophisticated and classic, you dont need a lot. I like the musk. Better for evening or winter. I liked using the lotion-creme alone too since it smelled lighter than the fragrance.

Louw
Louw

I loved this for a while, but it didn't hold my interest for long. Very pretty floral with strong magnolia, which dries down to a sweet, powdery finish with a little hint of musk. The thing is, it smells rather like a zillion and one other pretty florals with powdery/musky bases, so it's not interesting enough to become one of my favourites.

valarian
valarian

It's OK! I saw this on ebay for a low price and thought I'd try it.

Very very floral but not balanced, over heavy on the white flowers and a bit chemical. The sort of smell you like until you realise it's strong and staying with you for a couple of hours. That's when you wish you hadn't been quite so heavy handed with it.

I tend to like perfumes that are a bit different or well balanced this isn't either.

I found it much too obvious but I'll probably keep it for the odd time I want a feel like a flower garden on a hot night!

AURA 512
AURA 512

I LOVE IT !!!!!

moraine
moraine

This is exactly how my college dorm room used to smell when my roommate was getting dolled up to go clubbing: a blend of Frizz-Ease, nail polish, and KL Sun Moon Stars.

Why? Why such a mess - from Lanvin, of all houses? I can't think of a more bewildering, inexplicable perfume than Rumeur.

truffles
truffles

Found this on Ebay in EDP form at a really low buy it now price brand new and recieved it today.
First impression on wearing: I don't get the acetone/nail varnish remover smack in the face, maybe just a tiny hint of acetone but nothing overpowering.
Other first thought is that this is a good quality perfume, surprising for a 'cheapy', also 'I quite like it'- very surprising for a blind buy.
A bit later, trying to analyse, my main description would be 'flowers', a rosey kind of smell primarily. Rumeur is not 'warm' or cloying like, say, 5th Avenue, rather it reminds me in tone and in its lightness of touch, a lot of Nina Ricci's Deci Dela. Yes - lightness. I find Rumeur quite mild (thankfully). I really can't see any similarity between Rumeur and NR for Her either.
Unfortunately, I get NO woods at all which is rather disappointing, and not really any musk or orange blossom (which I love) either. I've been wearing it a few hours now and it has settled into a sort of one-note smell which is rather like something Avon would create these days, or something cheap from M&S. Rather than 'old lady', this perfume smells simply 'mumsy' to me. Perhaps it's the magnolia that does this - I don't think I'm a magnolia fan.
In place of woods or musk, amongst the flowers I find a tinge that is cool and perhaps even a bit 'acquatic'.
Perhaps its just my strange nose.
I've gone from being pleasantly surprised by this perfume to feeling like it's not really me, ie. it's 'flowery' and mumsy and dare I say, even a bit too 'modern' for me. It's OK but nothing special, my husband summed it up on being offered a sniff by saying 'it's alright, it's not offensive'. I agree with Althea, reviewer further down, the best part of this perfume for me is the initial smell - on the drydown it just becomes 'blah'.
I'll give it another go but I'm thinking it may be a Christmas present for an aunt or an Ebay resell..
PS - Oh Blimey. I pulled this out of the depths of the dark perfume cupboard and gave this one last try (Dec. 2011) before deciding what to do with it and I just had to add:
SCRUB-BER! Screaming scrubber!
There must be some nuclear kind of fixative in this stuff because one spray on my hand haunted me day and night - I could not get it off!
And it was horrible! Really screechey and as it's such a particular kind of smell, I'm sure it would be lovely for someone but just not for me! (And I thought it was 'mild' last time? Wow!) It's a pity because I do adore the lovely holdable chunky, cheeky bottle with it's pale pink contents.
If you love this one, PM me, it's yours, make me an offer!

olga1780
olga1780

I can see why so many people jump to conclusions and claim they absolutely hate Rumeur right away. Upon the first spray it strikes you like a thermonuclear blast, harsh and medicinal. But after 15 minutes it transforms into the most beautiful and complex magnolia scent. I think i am pretty blessed with my body chemistry, because most of the quality perfumes that i think i would like smell good on me. So i disregarded the initial slap in the face and was rewarded to enjoy this wonderful perfume. There is no way you can appreciate this fragrance by spraying it on the card. Great sillage and staying power too!

xpetra82
xpetra82

i think...it was made for me....i wear it 3 years now every day and i hope never be out of production...i love the way it change throught time...i loooovvvveee it.....

emi
emi

It was my blind purchase. I took a risk because it was supposed to resemble Narciso Rodriguez for her. And in some kind of way it does in deed. The lilly of the valley and the honey make it similar to the NR edt version. In the opening I can detect very strong, oldfashioned lilly of the valley note with the smooth, creamy, honeylike background. After a few hours the lilly of the valley disappears and the honey gets stronger and more sharp. I think it is because of the patchouli which is revealed after a couple of hours. And that is the way it ends up. The lasting power is very good. And also the silage is not bad at all.

rainbow.owl
rainbow.owl

I bought a mini of this and it is Quite Nice, but I like other scents more, so I'm giving this away.It's quite a light, pleasant white floral scent with a light musky drydown. perfectly acceptable but I'd rather wear something I really like.

by the way, mock orange is an actual flowering bush, with flowers that smell like orange blossom, not necessarily a fake synthetic note. I think the description should read 'mock orange' and not 'fake orange' - there is a world of difference!

ReinaT
ReinaT

Rumor is a nice feminine floral scent. To me, it mostly smells like oranges, or orange blooms, roses and lily. Well, mostly oranges and roses but it is not too citric. It is light and perfect for summer and day use, not really for evening. A good thing about this fragrance is that it is not complicated and it can be combined with other rosy florals to create a more unique scent for yourself. I have been able to spray it on top (or underneath) other rosy perfumes and it works well with them. Be careful about the big, heavy glass bottle though. I have picked it up by the brass lid before and dropped the bottle, it didn't break, but it damaged my sink one time and cracked my floor tite another time! Lanvin makes a very solid bottle! So, when you use it be sure to pick it up by the bottle itself.

700poodles
700poodles

Rumeur is superb, especially in winter, with cold air killing off the trace of acetone. The sillage is praiseworthy, it comes in gorgeous whiffs, and it smells of a paradox, that is a combination of crushed flowers and cold metal, creating a sense of both poignancy and aristocratic aloofness. And there's a hint of maliciousness about it, giving a woman in a black tailored suit just enough edginess to be classy but not boring.

paradisejj
paradisejj

I totally agree to kikikikris. This smells just like Thai traditional perfume.

ArtELLE
ArtELLE

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
I got it last week and I've been using it non stop.
On my skin it smells mostly like jasmin. A very stylish combination of jasmin and other (white?) flowers.
A little bit overpowering in the first half hour, but amazing after that.
Staying power, rather good...about 6 - 7 hours. After that it still smells, but very soft.

kikikikris
kikikikris

Seems like I like purchasing perfumes blindly = =?
Well, the price was a steal I couldn't resist..

Magnolia and white flowers composition in the top note reminds me dearly of Thai traditional perfumes we use for special occasions. If you are Thai you'll know what I mean. Yes, old lady-ish scent-น้ำอบไทย.

However since I'm abroad, no one would possibly come to me and point out, "You smell like an old lady". I guess we get along just fine.

Magnolia is dominant on me with subtle lily of the valley mixed with white flowers, not in the headache-inducing way like Eden, though. Patchouli is dry and earthy in the dry down. I do get the metallic smell, though. Guess the culprits are the nozzle and cap which are brass.

Feminine, inoffensive, spring time scent. Luckily I like it.

Lasting power is 6/10, 5 h up with 3 squirts.

Had anyone tried holding the bottle the way the model did on the ad?
I had. lol

LovelySally
LovelySally

I lllllloooovvveee it. It smells beautiful and lasts forever.

Fuchsia dream
Fuchsia dream

I am nothing but in love with this perfume!!! I've worn it only a few times since I got one bottle but it never failed to command attention. Received nothing but compliment about how sophisticated and alluring I smelled on it. Both men and women just can't help but go for a second sniff... =)

kylexora
kylexora

Update : after years of collecting perfume, I do realize that few of my perfume smell almost identical and almost similar to each other, including this. This is the perfume that I mean :
Bvlgari Rose Essentielle
Lanvin Rumeur
Annick Goutal Musc Nomade
Narcisso Rodrigues For Her EDP
Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely

Don't you think they share the almost same smell??? Gosh, I have each of them!!!

[ilaria_ions]
[ilaria_ions]

i suppose it's a love-it or hate-it scent.in my perfume universe it holds a high position of desire cos of the feeling of softness i get. though i get plenty of compliments while wearing it, i don't feel it as a seductive one, but as a comforting one. for me, undoubtedly feminine and elegant with a touch of retro. it has an old-school feel to it, but not in a powdery way.the lasting power is neverending and considering the fact that on my skin nothing lasts, it's a major plus.

gingergirl60
gingergirl60

Ooh I bought Rumour edp at Wilkinsons of all places! for £7.50 so reckoned it was worth a try. The reviews on here seem to be very mixed, and a lot negative, so opened and tried it with some trepidation!Maybe a bargain for good reason.
on first impression i am finding it is a bit like Lovely which i always found pleasant but a bit bland, no staying power. But an hour later I am smelling more complex stuff.Awhiff of ammonia...worrying! But no, it is a sexy smell,a bit rude really.Worth getting to know!

orchidlover
orchidlover

I've just sniffed it today in a perfumery. I'm disappointed. It seemed to me that it must be a nice aroma in a nice bottle. But it isn't at all!
Rumeur smells like a nail polish remover completely, the acetonic smell is the same. There isn't any woody notes in it.
Thanks God that the lasting power is poor, because I can't stand this juice on me.
Rumeur 2 Rose is a much better version from Lanvin, but this..is awful.

Arrogant_Cat
Arrogant_Cat

I just got my bottle today (unsniffed, again - another unlucky blind buy) and I really dislike this scent, to me it is old and sickening. It smells like laundry soaked in soapy water for days. (Ok, I have never smelled laundry soaking in soapy water for days but I would imagine it would smell exactly like Rumeur.) I am shocked that this horrid juice comes in such a pretty and attractive bottle.

I gave my Rumeur to my sister (she loves florals) and she is happy with it. She rocks it!
Try it before you buy it.
Decent longevity and sillage.

nyoka

I love this scent.THe most beautiful white flower scent ever.U can smell the delicate white roses and jasmine with a orange tobacco smoky kiss to it.THere is a pure woody note throughout.Smells like walnut trees when ur cutting them.THe drydown is still a woody floral but enhanced by white musk and patchouli.A must for woody fume lovers.

AngelAnge
AngelAnge

I love this perfume, and buying now my 3rd bottle! it's powdery and classic, for confident sophisticated ladies. It has been my signiture scent for almost 4 years...

Well, Lainey, it is indeed better than J'Adore, I really cannot stand J'Adore. But for real nice perfumes as a better choice to J'Adore, I would go for
1. Celine Celine (NOT DION!!)
2. Oriflame Lucia
3. Royal Doulton

knics33
knics33

I agree that this is almost identical to NR For Her EDT. It has a noticeable magnolia top note and the orange is replaced with plum, but NR is done in a more sophisticated way.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

Blessed be the creator of Rumeur!
It has become my little pet - it is gorgeous perfume for a growing up woman. Magnolia, jasmin, rose and lily of the valley are just perfect companions here - the fragrance is just one of the kind, either love it or hate it :-)
Very elegant, I will wear it to work on Tuesday, that is for sure, it has that unusual feel to it - while I have no problem classyfying perfumes as Eg sweet (Burberry Brit), sour (Louis Feraud), bitter (Fleur D'Eau) - Lanvin Rumeur seems to be teasing me as I cannot decide which group it really belongs to! And for that - I give it 5 out of 5!
Far better choice than J'adore or any other posh over-priced and over-estimated juices!
Rumeur is brillaint!

nyoka

I love this.White rose petals falling into a massive magnolia trees up swept flowers.You detect the wood of the magnolia tree as well.Does go on strong but.I love it.I have always loved to not b able to stop sniffing my wrist and this is perfect for that.Woody,white flower heaven.Lasts a long time as well.This is one jewell that isnt age specific.It goes well on all.

Manya
Manya

My nose or my skin can't make up its mind about this one! I blame the patchouli... One minute it's ooh white floral heaven, and the next - burnt rubber and toxic waste. And it keeps on changing...I don't get it!

I am a bit envious of those who can wear this. I bet it can be a delicate, elegant scent. Just not on me :/

KasiaS
KasiaS

Oh, my, my, this perfume is so strong that, as much as I normally find the contemporary EDPs too delicate, in this case the deo concentration is more than enough! :)) You should spray it 2 hours before going out - maybe putting an alarm clock for 5 a.m. and then going back to bed is a solution? ;)

HOWEVER, what it becomes afterwards is awesome! It's all softness, musky vintage-feminine beauty, and sophistication. For me, although it's clearly subjective,a good alternative for Narciso R. that became too popular lately.

And isn't this bottle, especially in connection with the colour of the juice(which, by the way, matches the fragrance perfectly), simply a little gem?

For those of you who like Rumeur but can't stand the power and the shaarpness - you might try Guerlain's Idylle, too.

Edit: a plus for the name: short, catchy and original.

adrienn99
adrienn99

so many reviews, seems it is a love or hate relationship with this perfume! I think every single reviewer made a point and all of these are true in a way (would also add that first hour is more like rose, second-third hour is woody and then it becomes a dream!).

In my opinion this is a controversial perfume for controversial ladies: Rebelling and confident Women, who are ready to break the rules. Not in a rude way of course, but with their mere existence.

On paper I could smell the lovely flowers but on me it is MUSK and WOODS...love it both ways though!

nickflick
nickflick

I don't think this is a bad perfume at all. I just think that it is so different from many modern florals that people don't know what to make of it and don't give it a chance. Admittedly it is a bit strong at first and you should apply long before going out. After it has faded a bit it smells clean and beautifully floral. Rumeur is very long lasting and the fragrance stays true all day. I love the bottle and the scent is growing on me. I'm not sure if I would pay full retail for this one though.

sheridanellis

My Rumeur showed up in the mail today. I was so anxious to try out this infamous scent! I gave a spray to my wrist. It is chilly and rainy here in Seattle today, so my skin was not super warm. Within two minutes I got the weirdest metallic taste in my mouth! That has never happened with a perfume to me before. I let it set, and took a afternoon nap. When I woke up, I could smell ROSE. Old fashioned in your face roses. Think Rosemilk lotion from the 70's, or Avon. It has now dried down for almost four hours, and I just get the faintest rose smell off of my skin. To me this smells similar to the Victoria's Secret short lived "So in Love" perfume, but it does not contain the softening honey and cognac notes that So in Love does. I think if the aldehyde was omitted and replaced with ylang-ylang they might have had a winner. I guess I will keep it for the beautiful bottle. The container that holds the fragrance is beautiful and a classic shape. Cheers!

narcozia
narcozia

I really like Rumeur! It had to grow on me though. I got it as a gift, but I guess I would never have purchased this one for myself. What a mistake that would have been! It's a perfect springtime perfume, so floral and so happy! It appears to be very seductive, too, as all my male friend love it. Only good memories are connected to this one... going to concerts, wearing floral dresses and enjoying the first really warm days of spring :)

guest_pearl of the ocean
guest_pearl of the ocean

Thank god I had the brains to test it out on paper first, because Rumeur happens to be one of the weirdest smelling fragrances there ever was. It smells pungent, strange, plasticky, and the florals don't seem to make any sense.

This is actually the second time Ive tried this. The first time was horrific, and I only tried it the second time hoping that it would change my mind. But it stinks.

eezepeeze
eezepeeze

From reading the reviews, I can see that I am in the minority, but I am in love with Rumeur. I bought it at TJ Max for about 15 dollars with no expectations. I figured I didn't have much to lose if I hated it.

But, I was very pleasantly surprised. I loved the sharp top note that has no sweetness in it (but I hate sweetness in perfumes).

The middle notes are divine, lovely lily of the valley and magnolia.

The base notes are subtle, slightly musky, more jasmine.

I wore this to work today. I teach in a school with no air conditioning and this lasted beautufully.

I guess my nose doesn't pick up on the acetone note that so many disliked. Instead, I get the magnolia, rose, lily, and jasmine. I feel this is a great workday perfume, because on me it wasn't too strong, but is unique.

To each his own, right? Especially with something as personal as fragrance.

Sissi
Sissi

The Opening Smells like Nail Polish Remover i don't smell the Magnolias
just a heap full or Jasmine the lily is
trying to make it's presence known but
the jasmine just hogs up the smelling show
what a ham that jasmine is hehehehe
the plum comes later during the drydown
and sandalwood and musk closes the show

but when you bere the nailpolish stage
this seems to be an intoxicating perfume.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Rumeur doesn't work for me either. Need I explain?

Vinegar, air freshener, powder, and if I had the patience, I would have patchouli to look forward to (hanky to nose)...Another thorough washing of hands--To buy blind after reading the reviews here would be self-flagellation or acting on a desire to be wasteful.

donna77
donna77

I like it because it smells fresh and clean and its lasting power is quite good.I can still feel its smell on my clothes after two days.

However, i`m convinced i won`t buy a second bottle of that after this one`s over.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

This smells like the inside of a old box. The body lotion is actually not as bad.

My darling
My darling

I can not overcome that acetone in the beginning! After one hour it becomes a nice perfume, but where would I be in that time? I deny it. Sorry!

LenaBel
LenaBel

Smells vintage but not in a good way.. It reminds me of a cheap hairspray from the 90s. Not the best association.

geegee
geegee

I bought a 5ml of this yesterday along with Aperge. I dont agree with the majority of reviews because im really liking this. Im just testing it at the moment & upon first spray i was hit with a sharp magnolia smell, im not a lover of magnolia but i waited.

Im at the middle notes right now which to me i can smell more rose than anything & its becoming stronger as each minute passes. I havnt got any acetone odour at all.

Im 15 minutes in to spraying & the lily of the valley is now becoming stronger, ive never actually had a perfume before where ive noticed each note so prominately.

I shall update when this has settled on me.

Two hours later the lily of the valley is still strong, im not liking this at all now & do hope it disappears. The rose was lovely but this is becoming 'old lady with shocking pink lipstick & black matted hair trying to hold on to her youth'.

Im now changing my mind & agreeing with the majority...its unpleasant. Thank heavens for 5ml bottles to buy to test before spending huge amounts of money.

Shyn's Release
Shyn's Release

I agree with the review about it smelling like acetone.That was exactly what I thought of when I tried this.Its a shame what happened to the house of Lanvin.The bottle is okay but I hate the cap I mean what were they thinking.The copper cap looks like its getting ready to rust.This will be air freshner I just don't think I will wear this.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

This scent obviously gets a lot of reactions! I love the bottle. It is absolutely classic. The perfume itself smells like a vintage classic that has- alas, not been reformulated! I do like it, although I did not keep it. It was just too strong for me and wore me instead of me wearing it. Lovely on my aunt though. This is woodsy, strong, and sophisticated. Great for evening wear or the winter months.

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

I can see from other reviews that I'm in the minority, but this was love at first spray for me.

As others have commented, the aldehydes are overwhelmingly strong and as sharp as acetone, but that lasted for less than a minute on me. The magnolia bloomed very quickly, in a heady and creamy way.

All of the middle notes emerge for me, ALL of the individual flowers, each in their own time, although the jasmine is the most dominant. As the perfume settles, it becomes more subtle, more earthy and green.

By the dry down, I smell crisp, green patchouli--it's not a warm patchouli, but it seems more crystalline to me--and jasmine softened by powder, with a hint of musk for warmth. Rumeur is elegant and delicate.

yantestrs
yantestrs

Nail polish remover beginning, ending with nondescript flowers. Light, maybe slightly creamy, don't really remember. One of the notes makes me nauseous. Must return, not my style at all.

vioversilver
vioversilver

Very harsh beginning, no other way to put it, I was very alarmed by the very real smell of nail polish remover - a little later it did change into something a bit more wearable.. However, this is NOT warm, inviting or soft at all - it's rather rudely uber masculine in a way , cold even.. about in an hour or so it finally got a bit softer, a dry,woodsy rose with a little muskiness, but there's always a vague suggestion of vinegar too...

What I'm thinking & hoping is that this will work alot better in warm weather , where I live it gets very humid during the warmer seasons , so Rumeur might actually work in hot weather since it is so Spartan (NO sweetness or softness here,honey!) - this could turn out to be a fresh, clean scent for hot days , I cannot ever imagine this turning the slightest turn to cloying - even in the hottest, most humid of days..
I have to say I'm very disappointed in this,it's not what I was expecting from Lanvin..

I will say I do love the bottle ,looks like something out of an Old World apothecary.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

Rumeur is so not for me! It's not a terrible perfume, just not my style. I tried to give it some time to become nicer on my skin but sadly it didn't. On me it's very intense, heavy and a bit musty smelling! I agree with the reviewers here who have compared it to Narcisso Rodriguez because they're both quite intense and, on me, overwhelming!

Although Rumeur's definitely not for me I could imagine a feisty, more mature lady liking it and it smelling a lot better on her than it did on me!

Oxygene by Lanvin is one of my favourite perfumes so it's a shame that Rumeur just didn't do it for me.

My bottle of Rumeur recently arrived, and I spent a day trying it. 'Tis difficult indeed to survive the first ten minutes, during which I began to seriously worry whether I was not dosing myself with some sort of carcinogen. I found the later layers tolerable and, near the end, even pleasant. But the question that kept coming to mind was: Why? Why subject myself to the poisonous opening, when I can wear a perfume as perfect as Arpege from beginning to end?

(Update: it appears that 2006 was a bad year for perfume and organic chemistry, given my somewhat similar experience with Guerlain's INSOLENCE... I stand firm by my belief that perfumes should not be painful or distressing to wear!!!)

eranaral
eranaral

When first sprayed, it smells just like nail polish remover. If you can survive 10 min with that, then it turns into a powdery flowery fragrance. It lasts well into the range of 5 hours and has very good sillage.

Adiro
Adiro

I had it, albeit for a little while only. Something attracted me alot, it's presentation is actually beautiful.

The juice itself, actually starts out interesting and loud, almost obnoxious! On me it jumps straight to the middle notes, that come accompanied by the weirdest alcoholic smell, almost unreal, like a drug. Soon the initial shock subsides, and what I'm left with is ( sorry) a metallic version of Narciso Rodriguez For Her, it's strange but this is how it smells. The drydown is quite non-descript, some flower notes linger mixed in with a good dose of patchuli.

Not a bad smell per se, just not good for me.

Radiance and lasting power are both good, but this is a quality only if you really enjoy the perfume.

The presentation: for the 50ml which I had, it was an absolutely lovely sight. The metalic top is heavy and copper-red in color, with the ring actually giving a beautiful antique medieval look. The glass is heavy as well, with rounded corners, and the juice color matches the cap beautifully. The bottle itself is reason for buying, but in the end I am sorry to say, this was a no go for me

Vanilla violin
Vanilla violin

A unique scent, one of my top five. It was a love at first sniff and I only wish I had made that discovery earlier.
Someone had sprayed it in the shop and I happened to walk right through it.
I stopped in my tracks and inhaled a fragrance so coldly fresh it gave the impression I had just eaten a whole packet of Polo Mints. Maybe the description does not sound flattering, but it intrigued me enough to ask the assistant to help me find out which perfume it was. She sprayed at least six, and it was me who reached for Rumeur. To say the assistant was surprised would be an understatement.:)
It lasted all day long on me and there was residue on my shirt the next morning.
On my skin the patchouli is very dominant with distinctive rose and jasmine in the dry down. Staying power is great too and my husband likes it very much, which is a thumbs up.
It is such an audacious fragrance I wonder why it has become "the ugly duckling" in the realm of scents.

Flora55
Flora55

Remember that this Rumeur is NOT the "real thing" and that the vintage one was much, much better. Lanvin is not what it used to be either, sad to say. The house put out some of the finest perfumes ever made in its glory days, and the name is now being ground into the dust.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

a very sophisticated fragrance.

It opens with boozy,leathery fruits, a touch of flowers and voluptuous base notes, dries down with a peppery musk accord.

on my skin it develops into a soft,calming fragrance....not at all the various "Harsh Flowers" or "Elderly powder scent" that most reviews complain about ...

I got many compliments while wearing it.

I would recommend it if you are feeling a bit moody ...or it's raining.
don't know why exactly ...

cor metz
cor metz

I think its for elderly women, but so what, this is fantastic. Yes it smells oldfashioned, and again, so what.
The more the top notes settled down
it starts to remind me of something realy nice and sympathetic hidden far-away in my brain. Because I can´t locate that memory I only can say it is nice, friendly and the sweetness is related to someone or something very peacefull. Anyway it tickles my feelings in every way and that should be a compliment for Rumeur.

glitteralex
glitteralex

The initial blast and first 10 minutes were so awful I didn't know if I could make it through. It smells like a generic "Floral Bouquet" air freshener from the dollar store. Finally, 20 minutes in, some rose arrives, still accompanied by the synthetic notes from the top. After an hour, piercing rose/white musk becomes tolerable, but if I want a plastic rose, I'll go for Madame by Lancetti.

SylvanFox
SylvanFox

This really is an older fragrance, but it doesn't smell stale or out of date. It smells timeless. There are so many reviews that describe this scent as harsh and solvent-y, but I so do not get that at ALL from either the first spray, or the dry down. I get the aldehydes (which I normally do not like), magnolia, a hint of jasmine and rose, and other notes that I cannot place. It is lovely, like a Southern wedding in summer. This is one of those scents that does not feel like a trend. I feel classic and beautiful when wearing it, and am sooo happy that it works with my chemistry.

Gosha
Gosha

Tested this one I must agree with someone who mentioned that there is no musk in it at all. I can't say that I exactly hate this fragrance, but I don't particularly like it either. After a while it started to smell like a cheap masculine soap(and normally I like masculine scents, but not in this brash version.

guest_Vera
guest_Vera

I loved this library and dusty old books reference! Exactly, something old. I expected much of this one, fell in love with the bottle, ended up disappointed with the final product. Too bad.

sharyssa
sharyssa

I gave in and bought this one.I am really liking the bottle and the scent at first has a nail polish remover vibe but it softens up to a floral smell! I am wearing it now and enjoying this! I bought 3 Lanvin fragrances last week and I am wanting to try more! I want Jeanne next I sampled that in a magazine and really liked it.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

I tried this today, and it reminded me of my grandma (in a good way!) My grandma wears perfume that is sensible, seamless, and dependable. "Rumeur" goes on as a wall of scent, no one note predominating, and stays that way for the duration. It is a clean, non-cloying scent that would not fight with any other body products, and over time, it smells like it becomes a part of you, not unlike Gres' "Cabotine". This would be a great daytime scent for people who like their perfume to remain true throughout the day.

guynspfld
guynspfld

I think it is funny how many people dislike this. I bought for my Mom last Mother's Day...She loves it. She cannot go anywhere and people not ask what she has on. I think the dry down is wonderful and it is long lasting.

lilinah
lilinah

I have not yet tried Rumeur, but i'd like to, noting the widely disparate views on it.

However, i'd like to point out that the description at the top of the page mentions "fake orange". That should say "mock orange". There are two fragrant plants called "mock orange", and i don't know which is in Rumeur.

One is genus Pittosporum, of which several species are called "mock orange", especially P. tobira and P. undulatum.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittosporum
One of Berkeley California's main streets is lined with these trees, and when they bloom in the early summer their fragrance is amazingly wonderful.

The other is genus Philadelphus, and again several species are called "mock orange"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphus
To the best of my knowledge i haven't smelled the flowers of these bushes, but the scent is described as a combination of orange blossom and jasmine.

weegee
weegee

First let me say I love Arpege and I just adore another floral woody musk: Chopard's Madness... that said, this is just nasty- a shot of grocery store Glade brand magnolia air freshener followed by a punch of powdery jasmine. I don't know where the musk comes in at all. I spritzed neck and wrists at TJMxx earlier this afternoon and the only good thing I can say is that it disappeared within 2 hours - nothing left - zip,nada! Lanvin missed the boat on this one and I'm sorely disappointed.

Annie_D
Annie_D

I don't know what the craze is about, but all I get with this is nail polish remover. Maybe I didn't leave it on long enough but I could not deal with the nail polish remover like opening at all. It may fade to something much better, but I still could never get over the opening. Sorry, it is different and that may suit some but definitely not me.

Darling Starling
Darling Starling

Here comes another one of my stories, but I promise it works. When I was 6 my grandmother had a porch swing made of wood. On balmy summer nights we would sit out there together, a summer breeze blowing the smell of her clean clothes, her perfume, her rose garden, and the wood of the porch swing all around us. This scent is the olfactory trigger of those summer evenings for me. I know you've never been there, but imagining a perfect mix of wood, summer gardens, and the cozy-clean scent of a grandmother might help you imagine what this lovely scent smells like.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

this is definitely one i have been looking for and i am so surprised! it does go on a little rough at first, but this is not the time to make up your mind about it. after a few minutes, it turns into a sweet and earthy wonder. the sweetness feels grown up and subtle while the patchouli runs the show. i wore it to 420 fest yesterday with the sun shining. it was perfect!

Russian
Russian

It takes some time to understand this fragrance.I don't know people who loved this on their first sniff.
Personally,I recieved this as a gift and for being a Lanvin perfume I was very anxious to try it on my skin.
On my first try,I didn't like it,but I didn't hate it either.
The top notes are very bold,biting, furious and I'm so glad they are just top notes and fade away quickly,because the middle ones and the drydown are very pleasant.After an hour on your skin it becomes sweet,soft,calming and conforting.I would recommend it for the rainy days.
I don't think this is for youth generation,that's why I don't wear it so often.My bottle is almost full.But I use it for diversity,when I want to feel mature and confindent.It gives you that feeling and it stays on your skin all day long!

if you like spring flowers,you'll admire this one for sure.
this is really floral,innocent and feminine.but it's more powerful than rumeur 2 rose and it's much more long lasting.
I'm really pleased by the first pure magnolia note.it's very strong and can't be ignored,but it doesn't become overwhelming.
te floral heart is great as well.it's a bit(just a bit) soapy,because of the floral ingredient but it's very nice.
I think it's a pure "floral" fragrance,not a floral woody musk.I really don't get any woodsy note here.it's just about a bouquet of floral flowers for a romantic evening.

Fairylight7
Fairylight7

It's a bit of an 'old lady' floral but weirdly, I still love it. To me it is very reminiscent of Narcisso Rodriguez. I wouldn't have expected to like this, but I think it's perfectly wearable for young people.

Trvevil
Trvevil

I love this perfume from first sniff too! I'm so surprised that it's infamous or stinky...
Why? I richly sprayed it on my wrist, four times and I'm in love with it. I agree with Yana, this has the very 18-19 century feeling, maybe it even came to us from fairy tale...
For me it's a rose scent- it's not delicate- it's powerful, killer rose. It reminds me a lot of things. In these situations there were roses growing in these scenes. I also feel lily of the Valley- it smells the same way it smelled in nature- imagine these flowers in a forest... A picture from my childhood. Bottle is nice and I like the cap very much, it looks very vintage. With some time it gets a bit more delicate, but still chic, rosy and very old fashioned. I don't have anything bad to say about it. It's just wonderful. It lasts long and makes me feel like it's spring finally. It got many bad reviews, so try it before you buy it.

Yana
Yana

My Love at first sniff! It's floral, but fresh, musky, but soft. It has a unique scent on every skin (but doesn't suit everyone), that's why you should give it a chance and wait a bit after the first spray. It has it's own character and very changable. It's a bit out off fasion, but on me rather modern and it's my husband' favourite one. llove this heavy bottle wih an iron top that makes an impression of the parfume from the 18th century lady's dressing-table. And finaly I'm happy to smell a real parfume, not smth ftuity or sweety...

P. S. Inspite of the fact, that it's not expensive it'll never be a mob.

Malegria

My non-favorite Lanvin.It has a certain uniqueness, but the scent feels very disbalanced and uncertain.One of the few perfumes I absolutely don`t want to give another try.On my skin it is very uneasy,the notes clash together and can`t find their proper places.And the base - even though it has notes that I love - sounds heavy and plain.I don`t like synthetic magnolia in perfumes, so may be that`s the reason why I don`t like it.

guest_Absinthe
guest_Absinthe

I Absolutely LOVE!! this perfume.
I first tried it thanks to a little spray tester that this lady game to me when I purchsed other perfume.
I was hypnotized by it, every time I smell it on my wrist I wanted to grab the scent and inhale it even more.
like a previous member said. its smells like library or old books.. gosh I agree. it also reminds me of how a vintage piece of clothing smell if one could smell a black and white photograph of some 1920's Edith Piaf.
it smells so french, so old fashion french. smells so unique and expensive.
I found my self a bottle about a month ago on a discount store for a lovely price use it all the time in moderation as I could not take if I was to run out of it.. but my lucky stars smiled at me today as I found yet another bottle for even a cheaper price!!! wow amazing
well I love this so much that if I find more bottles I will buy it.
its so chic. so paris vintage chic.

darlingbuds
darlingbuds

Ah but I really like this one! Interesting to see all the negative reviews too. This one actually called out to me from the store's shelves. On a clearance kiosk I was browsing -- this very warm ambery odor kept interrupting my perusal of half-opened boxes, bottles missing their pumps, and Deseo gift sets. I 'nosed' around all the shelves until I found it: Rumeur! The plastic was off, the box was opened and someone had sprayed it a few times into the open box. Rumeur does not stay contained like that! I was intrigued but didn't know if I liked it, and I'd actually never heard of it before. It was only $12. I bought something else and left. Would you believe I kept thinking of that smell? White flowers and amber, very very warm in the way that perfume dried down into your body heat smells awesome 4 hours later. Lanvin's Rumeur lets you skip those hours and feel the warmth right away. I went back to the store the next day and bought the bottle (and it's a great bottle too! Golden letters spell out 'RUMEUR' in this somewhat neurotic intense block font). Two thumbs up from me. :)

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I haven't tested this on my skin...after my experience with a testing strip, I'm slightly afraid to try...

Opening notes were very medicinal, another member said it smelled like acetone, and I definitely got that. Maybe acetone with a touch of cinnamon.

Shortly thereafter I could detect white floral notes and lots of musk...it started to remind me of a not-so-pleasant version of Narciso Rodriguez. I say not-so-pleasant because to my nose, there was an underlying fecal (indole, maybe) note that really distracted me.

This perfume confuses me...I start to like it, then I turn away in disgust. I smell it again, smile, and then a few minutes later wrinkle my nose. Definitely not going to purchase this one.

Malegria

Finally I tried the infamous Rumeur and it is not at all what I expected. For some reason it bothered me all day!It is an uneasy, wiggly perfume and at some point it transformed itself in something quite hideous on my skin - burned plastic.
I am almost sure that it is the water lily note that feels so unnatural to me. I hoped that lily of the valley will add feminine charms, but the flowers in here are not pure and clean, they are covered with soot.
I would say that insolent is the right word for this scent...If in real Insolence it is the insolence of a young girl mixed with vivacity, in Rumeur it borders with being rude!

essija
essija

If you love getting long stem white roses (as I do) You will love this. This scent screams rose in a sense that will take you somewhere romantic. I wore this yesterday and fell in love. Its elegant and romantic. It dries down a bit powdery but I still get mainly rose. I love this scent.. What a beautiful smell. A romantic person should ador this...

kay_li13
kay_li13

i love this bottle, it's just too cute! i wish i loved the perfume as well. :( it's too strong for me. it's hard for me to find perfumes i like, so it's disappointing when one that i really wanted to like because of the bottle doesn't smell right on me. :(

snobuni77
snobuni77

WoW I really like this :)
I got a sample of it & at first I didn't think I would like it but I had only sniffed the cap & I think that it smelled different from being an a box with a bunch of other samples.
Anyway I sprayed it once on my wrist & it took a minute to settle but in a few seconds there is a heavenly floral that take center stage & makes me smile.I admit that there is a touch of liquoryness & musk that tinge my nasil passageways but it is not enough to make me dislike the fragrance.

I do get magnolia but not the same magnolia that's in Britney's Curious.It is more toned down & there is other florals that blend into it to tone it down.
This perfume is rather strong (which I like) I only sprayed it once & I can smell it without having to bring my wrist to my nose.
After about an hour the florals loose there zing & lighten up.The Patchrouli & musk settle in for the duration.

It's a very nice perfume but it's not for the light at heart

brickbird
brickbird

At first, I thought it is very liquery, alcoholic. In fact at the first top notes you get a blast of alcohol. But later it opens up as a very nice, elegant, sophisticated fragrance. I have got many compliments since I’m wearing it. It smells strong under my nose, but other people find it a very light fragrance. I like it better in the evening thou.

Althea
Althea

drydown seems oldfashioned to me, I like the beginning - hmmmm magnolia

guest_chypresse
guest_chypresse

The top note is all acetone all the time to my nose. I like the dry down, but I can't stand it in the meantime. I gave it several tries to be fair!

Halvah
Halvah

Finally, I got a bottle of this, and now I'm just testing it. On my waist it's rather strange, I can't decide wether I like it or not, but spraying the normal amount on other pulse points close to the heart, it's very nice! Only for those who love floral-woody-musk scents, of course. Jasmin dominates the frangrance, and it's really powdery a bit, but also happy, joyful and still elegant. I agree, it's not for teens anyway.

amanda
amanda

its a very powdery, and a bit elderly scent in my opinion, which i like though.

Rumeur by Lanvin 3.32 out of 5 based on 601 ratings and 145 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Lanvin Rumeur fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Lanvin Rumeur, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rumeur by Lanvin. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rumeur by Lanvin represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.