Designers » L » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Cologne of the Missions Le Couvent des Minimes for women and men

Cologne of the Missions Le Couvent des Minimes for women and men
dislike

smoky
Cologne of the Missions Le Couvent des Minimes for women and men Pictures Cologne of the Missions Le Couvent des Minimes for women and men Pictures

Cologne of the Missions by Le Couvent des Minimes is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women and men. The fragrance features vanilla, centella asiatica, myrrh, benzoin, camellia and virginia cedar.

Vanilla Centella Asiatica Myrrh Benzoin Camellia Virginia Cedar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Memoirs Of A Trespasser
The Odd Fellow Bouquet

Cologne of the Missions Fragrance Reviews

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Wow Botanical Cologne of the Missions is a beautiful vanilla fragrance. It starts with a very strong boozy vanilla. In the dry down I can smell the Myrrh and the Benzoin. It is very appealing and can be worn year round. Very nice!

enocg21
enocg21

This is a beautiful sweet vanilla scent. Surprisingly, I get over 10 hours with this. A must if you are into gourmand fragrances.

Eos
Eos

For a long time there has been a lot of hype about this fragrance on the club side of this website. I tried it out today and found it sweet and a good bang for your buck type fragrance, but ultimately nothing ground breaking or intensely noteworthy.

To my nose there was not even a whiff of smoke, but a heck of a lot of sweetly floral boozy notes. Is this vanillic? I guess... maybe in the way that Americans call everything that is sweet and sugary but indefinably flavored 'vanilla'. I get no wood, no smoke, no easily discernible myrrh notes. I don't understand the references to this being a dark or deep scent. Its more of a candy sweet scent than anything else. Honestly, if I was smelling it blind, I would have thought the pyramid of notes was something closer to Gourmand Coquin than SDV or Ford's TV.

For lovers of candy sweet fragrances only.

jedrzejowskia
jedrzejowskia

Divine, creamy, sunny and happy vanilla.
I ordered it to a friend's address in France, waited over 4 weeks for it, longing, wondering.
On first spray: Lovely Baileys boozy bourbon.
A few minutes later:
It is for sure TF's Tobacco Vanille's distant cousin, totally for daywear, longevity is amazing 8 hours + hand wash later and going, the sillage is great, arm length for a good few hours then nuzzling scent.
Because this is nothing other than comfort in a bottle.
I don't care if there is somewhere a Guerlain for 10x the price, I actually don't even need to smell it.
I think this might be the bottle to end any more bottles…. slowly but surely. This perfume helped me crystallise what it is that I like in fragrances and what I dislike. I just love this warm vanilla.
This is at the same time very fresh and not candy sweet at all!!
No head ache inducing Jasmine, no fuss and frills. Just warmth. Love at first sniff, I think I need to buy the 250ml bottle next!
Guys, get this if you can! I can't recommend it highly enough.

emilianna
emilianna

I ordered on a private sale site , Cologne of Love for 20 euros and a small bottle of Cologne of the missions, for 10 euros. And finally, I aodre that water! When I wear this cologne of the missions, It turns me into a seriously sexy cake with rum -soaked raisins !

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

This perfume FINALLY made its way to my local Ulta, so I finally got to try it :) This is a DEAD RINGER for Guerlain SDV. DUPE ALERT. The only difference is I would say SDV has more powdery benzoin, whereas COTM is more sweet/less benzoin. But the difference is minute. Sillage is low, lasting power is decent, comparable to the $200 Guerlain. This is only $38 for a 3.4oz bottle, I think I'm gonna have to buy some :)

MysteryBuff
MysteryBuff

Le Couvent Des Minimes Eau de Missions smells like a lighter body spray version of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. Modest projection but surprisingly long lasting.

Stupendous Delicious Vanilla!

It truly does have that boozy quality. Sweet, but very natural vanilla. It almost has a divine faint floral note. There is a subtle woody smokiness, but it does not overwhelm the scent at all. Do not let that steer you away. It makes the scent something more complex, quality, yummy.

If you like vanilla, you canNOT go wrong in adding Cologne of the Missions to your collection. It will work all year round, and you will end up loving it!

So glad I bought a bottle.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

Cozy vanilla scent!
Sweet & creamy, but non-foody vanilla. Balmy & boozy and even a tiny hint of freshness... Centella Asiatica?
It reminds me 'Library of Flowers - True Vanilla', another cozy & cuddly vanilla scent with also a little freshness (here created by bergamot).
On my skin CM doesn't appear to be a very strong perfume... it's actually a scent that my nose detects better from the aura it creates around me, rather than smelling it by pressing my nose close onto the skin.
Moderate longevity.
♥♥♥♥

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

This smells incredible. I don't have the most experienced nose, but not a bit of it smells synthetic to me. All I get is a warm, resinous, dryly sweet vanilla. I was worried about it being a cologne and the longevity issues that might come with it, but silly me. It has better silage and longevity than perfumes three times its price point.

Yes. That price point. This is a steal. And from what I understand, it's currently on sale (!) at L'Occitane. I will surely betake myself there upon the morrow.

I like this one average. I tried it a couple of times but didn't grow up on me by now.
53 peeople think this is a dead ring for Spirituese Double Vanille. Well... no. SDV is much more complex and refined. If you cannot afford that (like I can't) Eau des Missions is a nice replace, but I need to warn any blind-buyer that you won't end up with the most mind-blowing vanilla ever, like SDV can make for some.
At first spray it smells very strong, sweet but not too foody, sugary nor candy (thanksgod)
That's maybe because EdM smells more like resins, especially benzoin and a tad of non-bitter myrrh.
Honestly I cannot smell any other edge apart from a resinous vanilla. Not exactly a smoky scent, but I see more similarity with the vanilla in Shalimar without the Citrus and the big powder that makes a baby diaper effect on my chemistry.
It's very mellow and quite grown-up for a vanilla.
It's nice yet quite strong and slightly "brick on your head" type of scent. A winner among cheapies for sure and also very longlasting.

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

I put off buying Cologne of the Missions for a long time. There was screaming in my head that it wouldn't be for me: the association with plums (not a fan), the booziness, the smoke (which I'm very particular about), the vanilla (boring)

Was hard to get a full bottle here in Australia, so I took the plunge and bought a decant due to its affordability... and I was amazed. A fruit boozy vanilla that is probably the closest representation of a vanilla pod/bean that I have experienced in a fragrance. Smoke usually goes one of two ways for me - barely-there or overpowering and sometimes like the smell of bacon - but here it weds the fruity top notes and vanilla perfectly. The myrhh is barely present, just a hint and it's all that's needed. This whole composition hints at a much more expensive fragrance, with each note playing its part but at the same time blending splendidly.

A very linear composition with good longevity and projection. I've had it for a few weeks now and still really like (love?) it. Whether I continue to feel this way remains to be seen. Better suited to the cooler months, and I cannot compare it to SDV because I haven't tried that fragrance.

I hate using this word because this is my review at one point in time. I may fall out of love with it or I may find something better, but for the moment I'll whisper it for you: "Masterpiece..."

(While Cologne of the Missions may be representative of the smell of a vanilla pod, they are still quite different: here in Australia we mainly use vanilla pods sourced from Papua New Guinea, which are quite fruity in my experience. I wouldn't suggest buying this fragrance if you're after a true vanilla pod fragrance but it definitely hints at it)

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

I have this and the Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. If you want the same exact smell, imo anyways, and you can't or won't pay the the couple hundred dollar difference price tag, I say go for this. I sampled on each wrist, and they are really really close. I will say, Guerlain would be my top pick, but if you want to save just go ahead and get this. Wow, I've never had any two fragrances smell so similar!

poivrerose
poivrerose

This one gives off the lovliest soothing dry sweet vanilla iced tea vibe. It has a slight (and I mean slight) similarity to L'Artisan Tea for Two - except Eau des Missions is one thousand times more pleasant! Sweeter, prettier, soothing. I have never had the pleasure of smelling Spiritueuse Double Vanille - so I cannot make comparisons. But I can say that I am more than satisfied with this fragrance. If I didn't know the exact notes I would most likely guess they included vanilla- but I know I definitely would have guessed tea- which is odd because tea is not a note here. Maybe it is the herb note? There is a freshness to this that makes it appropriate for spring and summer wear, but definitely perfect for fall. I don't really find it a warm fragrance like most others. For me it is a dry sweet fresh vanilla, with a really mellow herbaceousness, and very nicely understated cedar note. A bit intoxicating, but not heavy enough to be stifling. I also understand the comparisons to tobacco - I sense it. I'd really like to recommend this to those who wanted to love Tea for Two but couldn't stand the dankness of it. It has an absolutely sensational sillage and fabulous lasting power. It really dances in the air. Gorgeous.

cologneprophet
cologneprophet

This fragrance defines gourmand

lcommisso
lcommisso

I bought this due to all the hype, plus a nifty gift with purchase from Ulta. Boozy vanilla bean describes it best. I wish it was a little stronger (my husband hasn't noticed it, and we've been sitting in a car for 3 hours), but it does last a while.

Don't judge it on first spray, give it 20 minutes.

butterbean

I received a sample of this lovely fragrance a while back from a former Fragrantican member. Thank you Bettany87!

While I liked the scent, I put off buying it until recently due to ridiculous sale price of $41 for 473 mL -- how could I resist finally getting a bottle, and a HUGE bottle.

This is a delicious vanilla, but it is much more! It truly does have that boozy quality. It is sweet, very natural, a divine faint floral note that really makes this scent. There is a subtle woody smokiness, but it does not overwhelm the scent at all. Don't let that steer you away. It makes the scent something more complex and yummy.

So glad I bought a bottle.

mymlan
mymlan

Cologne des Missions is a lovely fragrance. I smell milk chocolate with a touch of Baileys irish cream. It's comforting, long lasting but very soft. Yum! Wish it was more powerful.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

I agree with Bloodlust. This is a very simple cool weather scent in the same vein as TFTV and Givenchy PI. What sets it apart is that is not cloying and super sweet. It is slightly boozy and sweet making it perfectly unisex. I could imagine the folks at Frapin trying to create this scent but failing. The vanilla is not overdone and is very well tamed by the myrrh. At $49 bucks for 8.4 oz this is the steal of the century! This is one that can't be oversprayed and is better with 4-6 sprays.

parfum d'une femme
parfum d'une femme

Cologne of the Missions ~ Le Couvent

Disclaimer: I am super sensitive to smoke!

Opens boozy and thick, like molasses... super smoky and vanillic, as you would expect!
Dries down into a heavy vanilla on me, but it never loses that smoke and essentially suffocates me. I love it on other people, but cannot tolerate it on myself. Too bad, I had high hopes for it!!!

gzalvares
gzalvares

Simple but exquisite aroma. Opening very alcoholic, but the drydown is a very soft and comfortable vanilla.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

When I first smelled this I was in heaven - FINALLY an all-season, all-occasions deep vanilla. This sits close enough to the skin that you can wear it in warm weather, and it won't be too sweet or cloying, but it is certainly boozy and warm enough to wear in the cooler months as well.

The fragrance is very simple, with few notes - but they come together beautifully! There is not much to say that hasn't been said, but the overall impression of this fragrance is "sweet, boozy, deep, a little bit spicy, and addictive". It is not a gourmand sweet scent, more of a dry, syrupy scent.

Very much in love, quickly moved up to become a favorite! And for the price, it can't be beat. I wish it lasted just a little bit longer!

Edit: Almost forgot the best part of this fragrance! My signature is Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille - so if I wear this to work, I can easily spray on Tobacco Vanille to transition into nighttime! The two compliment each other very well.

june7rose
june7rose

Got this today. I exchanged the Jessica Simpson Signature I knew I was never going to wear, and got this for $16 at Ulta. It really does smell a lot like the Guerlain. It's boozier whereas the G is more tobacco-y. I like it, though it may be a tad too boozy for some occasions (like any time you think you might get pulled over, it really does smell like real bourbon). Since it's called "fragrance water", I expected sillage and longevity to be zilch, but it lasts about an hour, which is better than some EDP's I've purchased. I have that pale, dry skin, that just will not hang onto a scent for anything. Smells a LOT more expensive than it is. Try it if you like vanilla.

hermyonee

I'm really glad to see how many people like this fragrance and as I did, find that it's almost a clone of SDV, which I have too; when I first tried it one year ago I was so bluffed that I wrote here to the Fragrantica editors, when i saw that this EDM was not listed, and wanted to share this great substitute to SDV! So now I'm really happy that many people appreciate it, and found a less expensive option to SDV like i did; for sure, it's a bit weaker, simple, but really very very close; and personally I prefer this one in summer, like a sort of EDT if SDV was the perfume ;) ...didn't expect so many people will agree and love it too as well! :)

Blutengel
Blutengel

If you're living in France: Marionnaud is selling the 500 ml bottles with 60% discount... Just got me a bottle for 21,00 €
Deal of the month if you ask me :-)

dempsterstreet
dempsterstreet

Fresh-baked vanilla scrolls, and rum.... yum!

To me this smells like Christmas, like baked apples stuffed with cinnamon and vanilla and butter and brown sugar and and raisins: when you come in from the cold and the warmth of a boozy kitchen full of baked goodies envelopes you, wrapping its soft and cosy arms around you.
Lasting power not too bad for the price (on my skin about 3 hours).

Dark and earthy as well as sweet, but never scary. Gorgeous.

po
po

I'm a bit confused reading all those comparisons with Spiritueuse Double Vanille; maybe my skin amplifies the spicy aspects of it but Eau de Missions smells like a smokier version of Eau Duelle after the boozy opening.

The top notes are a bit much (borderline alcoholic) for me but the drydown is smooth and rounded. Warm and comforting scent with interesting development. Far more depth than pure gourmand vanilla, well worth the pricetag and more than that.

halftwintowers
halftwintowers

I must have searched every Ulta and L'Occitane store in Chicago, but my search for this beautiful fragrance was unsuccessful. It wasn't until I traveled to St. Joseph, MI when I finally got the chance to smell Eau Des Missions. This smells wonderful. If I were to describe this fragrance using only 3 food choices, I'd have to say I smell Grade-A Maple Syrup, Smoked Paprika, and Vanilla Extract. From the initial spray you're greeted with the myrrh and a slight hint of vanilla. The top is smoky and resembles smoke from burning wood, but it's never harsh or overwhelming. The vanilla intensifies and the fragrance becomes a tad bit sweeter as it wears on from the combination of vanilla and benzoin; however, the smoky, earthy characteristics of the myrrh is retained through the mid. The fragrance tends to stay light and airy with the use of Virginian Cedar and the herbaceous centella asiatica. I actually believe this is the perfect gourmand fragrance, suitable for all seasons due to its balance. This fragrance last anywhere from 6 – 8 hours (which is great for an EDC concentration) and leaves a pretty decent trail for everyone in close proximity of the wearer. I still need to give this fragrance a full wearing, but I see this easily slipping into my top ten. Eau des Missions will be great in the spring and the fall.

I also have to add how ridiculously cheap this fragrance is...for a 3.4oz of Eau Des Missions, a 1.0oz of Eau Des Minimes (A bright and vibrant lemon citrus scent), and a small tube of hand healer I PAID $38!!!

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ How ironic that when the courier truck pulled up with my new bottle of Cologne of the Missions just by pure coincidence as I had a batch of sugar cookies in the oven! Caught up in the moment of a surprise late afternoon delivery I forgot the baking and to set the oven timer. As I thanked the driver and eagerly opened the package I could have sworn I caught the faint smell of vanilla before I had even removed the bottle? I suddenly remembered the baking cookies and opened the door only to find them just starting to burn on the edges. Needless to say what a coincidence to my nose I had an instant comparison between the two! If ever there was a convincing real life gourmand this was it playing out right in front of my nose, true story! I do obviously get the delicious aroma of warm vanilla, myrrh a new favorite note, boozy amber and a faint whiff of smoke of course to match my burn twinged cookies. The sillage is a perfect serving to enjoy just for two and the longevity took me through a very relaxed/calm afternoon and into a comforting bedtime! ~
Kind Regards, Plat
(thank-you to the nose that suggested this lovely!)

marylu
marylu

A beautiful vanilla fragrance. Not overly sweet but smoky and mysterious. Lasting power is amazing, a couple of spritz lasts for hours on my skin. This would work great for fall and winter. For the price, it really is amazing. A must try for vanilla lovers.

ememha
ememha

First saw this as a giveaway and was curious about it. I read all the reviews i could find and decided to buy it.
And i also got a bottle where the cap does not fit anymore when you put the sprayer in.
When first spraying it on all i smell is smoke like when you take a walk on a cold winter day and you smell the smoke of fireplaces in the air. slowly very slowly the vanilla and myrrh start to show. This smell lasts very long and developes all the time. from smokey to spicey to vanilla to sweet and back again. This smell is addictive. The odd thing is that it borderline repulses me sometimes because of the fruity, i guess, plum smell in it? A litte bit cloying but in a soft friendly way, like the last dregs of heady wine on the bottom of the bottle? I miss it when i do not have it on. The smell is not very strong but it lasts very long and i catch myself smelling my wrists all the time. And what i have never ever experienced with a perfume before is that i want to put it on my pillow or on myself before i go to bed... strange. This layered with Candy by Prada is a match made in heaven.

darksome

This is constantly compared with Spiritueuse Double Vanille from Guerlain, so I made a comparison (on skin). They come pretty close together (especially in the drydown), but still have some differences (opening & heart).

COTM: Cologne of the Missions
Straight from the bottle: boozy, fruity, sweet.
- sweet
- boozy
- fruity
- bright
- cotton candy vibe
- headache inducing (more than SDV)
- strong sillage
- incredibly cheap
After some time it gets stronger, drier, sweeter.

SDV - Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Straight from the bottle: fresh, tangy, sweet, boozy.
On skin:
- cleaner
- dark
- raw
- close to the skin
- sillage could be better
- incredibly expensive
After some time it gets less earthy, creamier, warmer, sweeter.

Overall: There's no winner, both are good in their own league. However, on the drydown they are so similar, that you can't distinguish which one is Le Couvent and which one the Guerlain, at least when you don't compare them skin to skin. I'm sure people could easily mix them up - so IMO, Le Couvent one's is the better choice.

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

Vanilla and benzoin is what I get from Eau des Missions (EdM). Although I'm not a fan of fragrances that feature vanilla front-and-center, I do like this one. It's a warm, creamy and comforting scent without being obnoxious (e.g., vanilla bomb)...well-done!

While I do like this fragrances, my wife loves it! EdM leans feminine, in-my-opinion, and smells wonderful on the ladies (at least my wife). It's not something that I'll be reaching for very often, but I will be sure to reach for the missus whenever she wears it.

Longevity and projection about average, which is fine for this kind of scent. Excellent fragrance at a great price.

Valleyofthedolls
Valleyofthedolls

Blown Away!!!! Whoaaa!!! So so so soft and warm. It's the hug version of perfumes. Hot tea and cake on a dreadful winter afternoon. It lights up the day! Love love love. Vanilla lovers: get it!

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

This is all that and a bag of chips.
The first time I wore this my car got stuck on a block of ice, had to get towed, I ruined my tires, waited 2 hours at belle tire hungry with no ride, and I missed two classes, but still had the thought occur to me "Hey, I smell really good!".
If that wasn't enough to convince me that this stuff was great, the next two times I put on that same hoodie I would go nuts smelling the corners by my neck trying to remember what that incredible smell was, then I would remember that it was this.
It DOES smell a lot like double vanille. I have half a mind to just delete double vanille from my want list, but I keep it on there figuring one day when I have big bucks I can have both.
Smokey, resinous, but VERY sweet and creamy vanilla dry down. It makes me so happy. It makes me think of fall, halloween, bare trees, wind, and magic. It puts me in a great, creative, wild, imaginative mood.
It lasts a long time too! As I said, could smell it on my hoodie a week, but on my skin probably more like 6-8 hours, but I'm so in love with this fragrance I would probably truthfully touch up just to make it really strong again, granted I'm only at home :P.
I would buy 500 mL of this, it's so cheap and wonderful, no hesitation :P. Although I'll probably just buy 100 at a time so that it stays fresher, so happy I have this decant to enjoy while I'm on my no buy!

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I read the notes and reviews, and thought this would be perfect. But my nose only picks up on a rather high pitched and floral vanilla. Its not rich and boozy, to my nose. It did start like a sweet tobacco (for 20 min), then on to this unusual vanilla. I wish it was deeper, richer, developed more, had more layers--but it didn't on my skin.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Lovely vanilla/chocolate and a little smoke, like a cup of cocoa. But just like the cup, once it 'cools' a little it disappears quickly! And it doesn't project at all for me. :( What a shame

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

This is very cozy and fluffy scent. Like a soft blanket around me. From the initial spray it was reminding me something i know very well already but i couldn't place it. It was definitely not SDV because i don't know it. Two hours later bam! In the dry down it smells just like Fancy J.Simpson. It has the same caramel like sweetness with vanilla undertone. It's not heavy or overpowering and for my taste suitable for summer as well. Like it a lot.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Leaving aside the reminiscences of this outstanding cologne to other offers and its unbelievable price, this is a subtle, elegant and special vanilla-benzoin scent which feels great for daily wear at any time of the year. It is sweet without becoming cloying and so easy to love I sometimes even miss it and need to smell it from its cap for a moment while wearing other scents just for the pleasure of it. It is welcoming and friendly, one of those scents that make you feel your better you.

Quiet enough not to annoy anybody around and very long lasting for a cologne. Definitely one a lot of people will deeply enjoy. It works well on both men and woman too.

My only complaint is the sprayer doesn't have its own cap and the bottle's one doesn't perfectly fit in the sprayer 's top. Nevertheless I considerer it a small disadvantage, and I'm happy that there are still houses which prefer to save money from bottles design other than lowering the quality of their scents. This house not only does that, it does while keeping them accessible to all kinds of budget.

darksome

On the beginning Cologne of the Missions smells very boozy, resinous, viscous. I like this part the most. Like one user said, this is a syrupy, boozy plum at the beginning.

Later the boozy notes partly hide and a creamy/powdery cotton candy smell appears. I get also some wafts reminding me on nougat mousse/pure cocoa powder.

The more to the dry down, the more it warms up, gets more powdery and sweeter. Vanilla is the most powerful player at this stage.

A wonderful, some would say linear smell. But for true lovers of gourmand/vanilla fragrances, this has so many triumphal facets, that are absolutely necessary to discover them. A must have for my stash. But beware - this is a very sweet scent.

cumulnimbus - (review above me) - I'm curious why you don't have a cap that fit's your sprayer :(
I got with my purchased bottle two caps and the sprayer...

MsWinkssy
MsWinkssy

This was an option as a rewards gift so I thought I would go to the store and give it a sniff and so glad that I did. It's very rich vanilla and smells so wonderful. It is a bit boozy but it calms down. It is very strong on me and has pretty good staying power. The scent is deep and sensual on my skin and my boyfriend also really likes it. I like to use this mostly in the evening or right after a shower before bed. It is a calming scent that works very well with my skin even though I usually am a floral/fruity girl.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I love the reviews for this cologne and because of them, I was inspired to blind buy this (as I have no access to it to actually try it). This is WONDERFUL! Everyone else has already said what needs to be said, and beautifully, so I will only add that yes, this smells a LOT like Guerlain's SDV. I have tried SDV, and I can't wear it (which is strange, because Gourmand Coquin and Asian Brulant work wonderfully with me and I love them so much). So I was very sad about that. But Cologne of the Missions smells almost exactly like it, yet it doesn't turn screechy and harsh, and you don't smell like you have been marinated in pipe tobacco. The price is a bargain, and I was pleased to see that it comes in a glass bottle and a sprayer is included, in case you would rather spray than splash. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that it has good staying power, for a cologne; it left a soft aura around me for about six to seven hours. I heartily recommend this. So for those of you that want a Spiritueuse Double Vanille but for some reason it won't work with your chemistry, definitely try this one. What a gem! Thank you all for your recommendations!

kelli.marie
kelli.marie

A very soft and warm vanilla. Great before-bed scent. 6+ hours later I can still smell it on myself but the scent stays very close to my skin. Definitely one to mist on a blouse or scarf!

kinetisphere
kinetisphere

this is a vanilla bomb of pleasant proportions. i sampled this today while i was out and about on the town.
to be honest it is just another vanilla scent. the benefit is it is a natural fragrance so you don't have to stress on putting a ridiculous amount of chemicals on your skin. the bad news is it smells like other perfumes and can be cloying during spring and summer.

to my nose i get vanilla and myrrh not much else. it pretty much smells about the same as what it did when it was applied. no transformations here.

it has a "fair" scent aura and so far for a "natural" it seems to last quite some time.

overall this is a pretty good fragrance
i would give it a 6 out of 10

nothing special and for the price i could find something better. yet it's natural so you can have some peace of mind.

steve0580
steve0580

Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, with an almost unnoticeable touch of balsamic to temper it a bit.

That's all I smell. I don't smell cedar or anything smoky. If I were to compare the fragrance to something, it would be vanilla taffy.

It's not a bad fragrance but definitely more feminine than masculine.

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

Cologne des Missions is a relatively linear fragrance on my skin. It's a solid concotion of benzoin, myrrh and vanilla. Although overall it doesn't change much, as the intensity gradually diminishes, there are still some different associations with different stages.

Although there isn't any fruit note, the beginning has a boozy, syrupy plum note, like a coating over the mixture of benzoin, myrrh and vanilla. After about an hour, the fruity aspect subdues, then I was able to associate with a sweet tobacco, as mentioned by Dittnergirl. The vanilla is not so prominent, until about 4 hours later. The drydown is smooth and full of comfort.

It sits close to the skin with a certain intensity and after 6 hours the scent is still easily detectable. It's sweet, but not cloyingly so. It's relatively simple, nothing gaudy or garish, but certainly not boring. It's an affordable fragrance with a solid quality, and it smells natural and soothing. I highly recommend!

MarillaV
MarillaV

Well, I can't compare this to SDV, as I have not had the chance to sniff the SDV. So my review is based just on Eau de Missions itself. On me, this opens rather boozy, with a prominent bourbon note that is reminiscent of vanilla extract. This calms down rather quickly and is replaced with incense and smoke that twirls around a rich, full vanilla. As the perfume warms even more, I can detect the benzoin underneath the vanilla, giving it depth and a real warmness that is very endearing. In the extreme dry down I get whiffs of cedar and wood, but to my nose, it is pretty faint.

The longevity is amazing for cologne, it lasts a good 6-8 hours on me. It is no sillage bomb, though. It is more like a "your skin but better" fragrance, which is fine by me. It is also amazing for layering. As mentioned by others, Prada Candy is a natural for layering and Eau de Missions adds a lovely smokey twist to Candy that is very enjoyable. It also plays well with Jo Malone fragrances. I have also layered it with Guerlain Elixir Charnel Gourmand Coquin to bring out a little sultriness.

Highly recommended and it is an absolute bargain. I have a decant at the moment, but on my next visit to Ulta this baby is going in the basket!

LookOut
LookOut

Am I the only one who does NOT smell a similarity to SDV?

The only thing I noticed is that they are both boozy vanilla scents. But SDV is a lot more creamy, and Eau des Missions is sharper/spicier and more smoky (at least to me). Creamy happens to match less with me :)

Strangely enough, I let a woman in my neighborhood try the sample I have of SDV, and on her I DID smell the similarity to Eau des Missions! Maybe because SDV is technically a woman's scent and Eau des Missions a unisex scent?

Anyways, Eau des Missions is an amazing cozy comfort scent to enjoy in the evening on the couch beneath a blanket. It's not a complex scent, what you get when it's freshly sprayed stays during the drydown.

For an EdC, this has an incredible longevity on my skin. I can still smell it 5 hours or more after applying it! And my clothes absorb the fragrance like mad!

P.S. I recently tried out Montale Vanille Absolu, and to me this is almost identical to Eau des Missions! Should I declare my nose insane? :p

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

Bookishbeauty, thanks for the tip! I have (and love) Prada Candy and I will layer it!

I just got a nice little decant of this (Thanks, BB!!) and I really like it! Yes, it smells like SDV, but it's a lot weaker and less intense. That being said, for the price, it's a steal! I would still love to have a bottle of SDV but it's just so pricey that this really is the next best thing. I got to thinking that this perfume kind of reminds me of what SDV might smell like years down the road after myriad reformulations... still really good, but just not the same, and of course weaker. I kind of like heavy hitters, but sometimes you don't want a sillage bomb, in which case this one is great.

As far as notes, I'm actually picking up on the myrrh more than anything else. The vanilla is way less intense than in SDV, but still clearly there. I'm surprised vanilla is noted as the #1 note since the myrrh is so prominent. I also do pick up a fair bit of benzoin but not quite as much as the myrrh. I do also clearly get quite a bit of cedar, but no rose or centella (whatever THAT is!!)

Overall, AMAZING fragrance for the price, and clearly something we all must own!!!

bookishbeauty
bookishbeauty

Layer this with Prada Candy...you're welcome. :)

Seriously, though--everyone else is right that this is very close to SDV. For the money, you can't go wrong, and this is actually one of the longest-lasting perfumes I own. I sprayed it on at lunchtime, and I could STILL smell it on my actual skin (not just my clothes!) the next morning after a night's sleep. I don't have many perfumes I can say that about! A wonderful simple-ish vanilla that is pretty on its own, or great to layer. Prada Candy and Fancy Nights are especially nice layered with this!

Dittnergirl
Dittnergirl

I tried this today at my local Ulta and was very surprised to find over 60 votes towards this smelling similar to the incomparable classic SDV. I am very sensitive to tobacco notes and at first sniff and first spray, I got that sweet pipe tobacco scent curling up from my skin. Very sweet, but unmistakably tobacco. Again, surprised to not find tobacco listed in the notes nor very many reviews. And while I don't find any perfumes smell EXACTLY alike, there are many that are good substitutes and this one is especially good for the price difference. Is it less complex? Less brooding? Sweeter and lighter in temperament? Yes. Is this a close close sibling to SDV? Absolutely!

15oak
15oak

Bought this today, and I love it. Simple with only six notes; Vanilla, Centella Asiatica, Myrrh, Benzoin, Chinese Camellia, Virginian Cedar. Lasts pretty long on my skin but also a close scent. Does not project like Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. A little sweeter also, but for the price ($41.28) at Ulta you cannot do better. More versatile than SDV because it is an EDT. Not as strong, it can be worn practically any time and anywhere.

Anyone who does not want to pay $250 for Guerlain SDV should try this. Anyone who loves sweet fragrances, vanilla-based fragrances or gourmand fragrances should try this as well. Packaged similar to Serge Lutens, it comes with a stopper and atomizer but with a cap.

Overall Scent: 9/10

Versatility: 9/10

Sillage: 4/10

blane0734
blane0734

This is very authentic and natural smelling vanilla fragrance. I hoped this would work well with me because I find it very calming and natural, but I don't think this smells very good on me. It smells better on others, especially men.

Ana Pavao
Ana Pavao

Vanilla...pure vanilla combined with the benzoin and cedar that gives this ambery-musky natural impression. I simply loved it! It is long lasting but after 3 or 4 hours sillage goes from moderate to soft, my fiancée just told me he could smell it (8hs after spraying) but I couldn't anymore...it is warm, perfect for fall, spring, winter and if you're wearing it during the summer, better at night. My new signature fragrance...along with L'Occitane Vanille Narcise. Vintage and charming!

P.S.: my fiancée is now wearing it and it smells heavenly, although with a different chemistry that makes vanilla a little darker and sexier...wow!

faubel
faubel

I tried this on at Ulta today and at first I was disappointed--it seemed like an average vanilla. After it was on my skin for a little while though, the scent really seemed to open up. I've got a decant of SDV, so I'm familiar with it, and this comes pretty close, just not as strong, as has been said. It's boozy and a bit spicy and woody. I absolutely love it.

Edit: This is my go-to comfort scent. It's sweet without being cloying. It's vanilla without that cupcake accord. I don't think it's close to SDV, now that I'm a little more experienced. But it's a lovely everyday natural-smelling vanilla.

hermyonee

yes for sure, this one is less complex & a bit weaker, but it's a good substitute, specially for summer, btw I just added a few drops of the original in my purse bottle, and it's even better, it you really need something stronger!

Gia713
Gia713

I have hoped that that one would be perfect substitute for Spiritueuse Double Vanille. It unfortunetely is not. Cologne of Missions is really similar to SDV but not much in the way i want it. It's sweeter, simplier less complex and what is the worst - more fruity. Don't get me wrong - it's still good and very pretty, long lasting scent. It is just not even half that good as SDV. But for this price it must be my substitute for few next years, because the diffrence between 180Euro and 26Euro is still very important for me ;)
I have been searching for substitute of SDV and I've tried a lot of fragrances - Notte Vanille,Vanille Orient, L'or and many others. Cologne of Missions is the most similar so far. So i like it very much - so far ;)

clrieger
clrieger

Looking forward to trying this one. Saw that it is now available, along with other Le Couvent des Minimes products, stateside at Ulta stores/online. Thanks for the reviews.

hermyonee

oh thanks, I'm glad that you also like this one! I'll keep it for summer, so I spare my SDV for fall & winter ;)

malia
malia

Great fragrance!! Sexy, warm, mysterious...
Love it!!!!

miticothor

Finally I try it. Very very good fragrance and yes a real clone to Spiritueuse Double Vanille...!!!
SDV 75 ml= 175 Euro; EDM 1.5 l= 150 Euro......A word to the wise is enough....Thumbs up for Eau des Missions and BIG THUMBS UP FOR Magic HERMY

hermyonee

yes i really love it, specially for summer, it's just the same as SDV but in a lighter version, like it was the EDT version, but the notes I get are the same, since the first blast, and it lasts quite nicely!

sensuous@midnight
sensuous@midnight

this one is soooooo wonderful, so rich, vanilla is authentic, not synthetic as in too many perfumes nowadays. I use it all over my body after the shower before going to bed, I also spray it on my sheets, and it instantly makes me feel good and sexy. even though it is a cologne, its lasting power is satisfying; could be better for sure, but still it is definitely worth it.
love it!

hermyonee

you really should Miticothor!! I bet you won't be deceived ;) for such a ridiculous price, and easily available, in many stores, plus a bit lighter perfectin summer, sometimes SDV is too heavy! ;) let me know ...

miticothor

Ok Hermyonee. I am a great lover of SDV and I can't wait to try it out (next saturday)

hermyonee

this is a very good fragrance, actually a real clone to SDV for a much affordable price! It lasts very well, it evolves pretty much as SDV. Pirces are 28e for the 100ml, 38e for the 200ml, and 49e for the 500ml bottle!
It's actually an EDT, thought the brand keeps the "cologne" label. It's a deep, smoky, woody vanilla, boozy, liquorous, just as SDV, just a bit weaker.

Cologne of the Missions by Le Couvent des Minimes 4.47 out of 5 based on 306 ratings and 67 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Le Couvent des Minimes Cologne of the Missions fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Le Couvent des Minimes Cologne of the Missions, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cologne of the Missions by Le Couvent des Minimes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cologne of the Missions by Le Couvent des Minimes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.