Designers » L » Oriental Woody « Groups

Oud 27 Le Labo for women and men

Oud 27 Le Labo for women and men
dislike

oud

Oud 27 by Le Labo is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Oud 27 was launched in 2009. The nose behind this fragrance is Vincent Schaller. The fragrance features patchouli, virginia cedar, agarwood (oud), ambergris, civet, musk, bulgarian rose, amber, vetiver and aldehydes.

Patchouli Virginia Cedar Agarwood (Oud) Ambergris Civet Musk Bulgarian Rose Amber Vetiver Aldehydes

Oud 27 Fragrance Reviews

mmmmgood
mmmmgood

EXTREMELY earth, musky and funky on the top...right out of the bottle. I dont mind the top notes, because I dig a funky scent.When that settles, it's what they call "more wearable", which is just code for "the kind of fragrance that doesnt make people frown".

now if you care about somebody's else's facial expressions, I suppose you wont dig this stuff. But if you dont give to rat turds, about somebody's opinions, regarding what you put on your person, you'd be more like me.

Oud 27, is a master class of what a niche scent should be about. It dont get much better than this. I have a 10ml of it..and I plan on buying the 3oz.

Jeepit
Jeepit

I smelled this on someone and really liked it. I bought a bottle and was at first very disappointed. It reaked when I sprayed it. I didn't scrub it since I spent so much. After about an hour+, that familiar smell that I liked when I smelled it came back. You have to give this time to settle before you judge it. Once it is settled, it smells really nice.

Just be careful for that first harsh hour from which the oud is quite harsh. It is obviously synthetic oud and that makes the opening even worse. Get passed the hour, and others will like it just as much as you.

I spent the 8+ hours of this fragrance's life sniffing my wrist. Great smell and rather addicting.

MWhitman
MWhitman

I smelled this on a guy yesterday and when he told me what it was I was shocked that someone out there was wearing Le Labo much less Oud 27.

Let me first say that this is 100% a man's scent. Not sure why they market as unisex? Perhaps it is more common for women to smell like this in the Middle East?? If I smelled this on a woman, I would be turned away. But I wanted to gobble up the poor stranger that I nearly bombarded when I smelled this.

Being the talkative type, I chatted with him about this fragrance. He mentioned that it is one of his most complimented fragrances. He mentioned that the dry down is where it gets the most love. I can definitely agree with that <3

I was also surprised it was working for him since it was a very hot day. I guess that just goes to show that weather doesn't really matter.

I will forever remember this fragrance and recommend it to any guy that really wants to stand out <3

rprovenz
rprovenz

Very sexy and refined. With lots of compliments .. Great stuff.

landshark321
landshark321

Perhaps I wasn't expecting this much oud, but Le Labo Oud 27 is dirtier than I expected. It's too much oud, or something else, that isn't in balance. There are insufficient sweets, florals, citruses, etc. to bring this back to something I might enjoy. It feels more like a smelling oil to realize the extremity of oud than something I would actually wear for an extended period. Interesting education, but nothing I would consider wearing again, let alone buying. It's disappointing in that respect but perhaps they accomplished their goal in making this, as, while not the most popular fragrance they offer, this does still seem to have a good following. Try at your own risk, because it is still quite strong.

4 out of 10

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

This is musky and dirty, but at the same time it smells very intimate and sexy. There's something rubbery about it, think of Bulgari Black. for example. But BB is thick and muted; this one, on the other hand, is sheer and bright.
I did not expect to like this at all, but I do. No, it's not a real oud, but it's an interesting and modernized imitation of it. At least, you will easily fool some people into thinking that you're wearing an Arabic perfume.

cologneblanche
cologneblanche

This is so unique that I actually love it. It also makes me giggle because it is that memorable. A must for all fragrance connoisseurs. This is what indie perfumery is about. The opening is a blast of sour acidic and high pitched smelling oud/civet; almost reminiscent of uncleaned public bathroom. It dries down to a softer musky base. The opposite of 'clean' and 'soapy'.

rp6969
rp6969

Given the reviews I was expecting to be assaulted upon spraying this scent. Instead I find a rich, warm sophisticated scent that could easily be my signature fragrance were it not a bit pricey. Far from being aggressive I find it to be soft and comforting. Everything is so well blended. The oud goes hand in hand with cedar and it reminds me a little of clean hamster bedding. To my nose the animalics are very suave and subtle. I spray heavily and wear it without fear of offending anyone as the sillage is rather intimate. While I was hoping for more of a statement scent, I love it just the way it is. Though it is not remotely smoky it reminds me somewhat of Fumerie Turque. I like to wear this layered with Labdanum 18.

Iolobach
Iolobach

I hated this at first, but it kept drawing me back. Now, I absolutely love it, so much so that it's become a signature. It's the only fragrance that provokes a naughty smile or laugh every time I spray the bottle, even now 6 years on. It's downright sour and skanky in the most sublime way. I can't really describe it in words, it has to be experienced.

My partner asked me if I had been spraying perfume in the bathroom because, "it smells like one of yours". Unfortunately I hadn't, but the cat had pissed on the bath mat again! That's how fantastic this stuff is!

fostermd
fostermd

I have been a hobby perfumer and perfumista for 20 years and my first few encounters with oud did leave lasting impressions but not especially favorable ones. Being in love with natural ambergris, deer musk, and orris to an obsessive degree I was beginning to feel I was just doomed to love all those things that cost the most and then I heard about agarwood. Of course I HAD to smell it and low and behold I too was taken back to an old Dodge Dart my dad had thats wiring harness burned up and while probably equally as costly the smell as to me equally as unappealing, so a but later fully in denial there could possibly be something out there I couldn't afford that I didn't have some burning obsession to have, I obtained some tiny samples of some REALLY expensive ones. All I could say is that I had NO difficult time believing I was smelling a years old defense of a tree against a fungal infection, just unpleasantly sickly sweet and pungent sort of like freshly spread mulch. But now some 20 years later with all the types of oud hitting the market I see the whole range of types depending on all kinds of factors I still have only begun to learn, but the oud in this perfume whether natural or synthetic seems to be one of the kinds that I have grown to like. Yes, it does have a bit of the harsh burt wires character but I see it more as a very heavy strong more bitterly intense wood smell. Now the great thing about this perfume is that the perfumer knew just what he was doing when he added cedar and civet because both of those serve to add warmth and fill in the thin spots in the fragrance profile of the oud and gives us a nice rich oud note which is the focal point of this perfume from the moment you spray it on until you bathe. The pachouli, amber, vetiver and rose are so well blended that they really do all their work behind the scenes where they provide a solid and deep base to support the star of the show, the oud. So, if you like the ouds that are not the sweet barnyard, or mulch sweet fungal infection types, but rather a bit like a heavy dark rich, slightly sweet wood with a hint of the burnt wires, then this is a perfume that you will really like. I feel that it showcases oud in a easy to get to know and get to love way, but still unless you are really in love with oud I would never recommend this as a blind buy. Definitely get a 5ml decant or at the very least a sample and give it a few days because the first day I tried it, it was a no go and by the end of the third day, I was online looking for the best price for a full bottle. It has nice sillage but you are not going to fumigate the whole room which with oud is a good thing because not everyone is all that enthused with it. It lasts a good while on your skin so you can put it on and not have to reapply at lunch.

brent0529
brent0529

The opening to me smells like plastic or rubber speaker wires that have been burnt a little bit. Not smokey, just heated. Mix that with a little cat piss from a horny male cat, and you have it.

The dry down is where it's at with this one. Once the pissy, plastic fades, the woody scent that's left is pleasant and tolerable.

Figmentspot
Figmentspot

There used to be a kid's toy/kit called Creepy Crawlers in which you'd melt rubberish material then fill different molds to make insects, snakes...various creepy things. Probably the melting intensified the reek of it. This is *exactly what Oud 27 is to me. High, plasticy, linear.

I know this is a cult fume, and it gets such love. I have also learned over and over to never say never with perfumes. But as of now — and as someone for the most part besotted by oud — I just can't with this.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

A fun musky incense rose oud with a shock opening. I bought a small bottle of this that I went through about 1/4 of before giving it away to a friend that liked it. At the end it began to feel dated. How about that--oud started to feel so dated in 2015 that I didn't want to wear it, despite that I have never smelled an oud fragrance on a living person besides my sister, since no one wears anything at all. Still, oud and Iso E cedar have become the ubiquitous "last decade" fragrances.

Saigon Cinnamon
Saigon Cinnamon

A fun, boozy fragrance with just a touch of the medicinal (from the agarwood) and the addictive (from the ambergris, which is thankfully perceptible). Earthy and masculine. Uncomplicated.

jaejunkim
jaejunkim

This is definitely the Nattō of perfumery. You love it or hate it, and it'll probably take some acquiring before you begin to appreciate it.
And, this has been my exact experience.
I remember the first time I tested this... It was so vulgar and shocking.
When you are going through cards and cards of pleasant and conventionally beautiful florals, citruses, sweet gourmands and creamy woods; this will startle.

The opening on this is quite sour like vinegar. A friend that I was testing this with thought it literally smelt like I had an 'accident'. I believe the oud combined with civet gives off a really loud pissy/sour note that defies any commercial and safe mass market scents.

However, like a car accident, I couldn't help but give it more attention.

During my holiday in Japan, I received a random sample of this with purchase at Le Labo and I revisited this fragrance... I was met with 'ew's and 'yuck' by those who accompanied the trip.
However for me, Oud 27 started speaking to me. I find this quite naughty and cheeky. It literally makes me giggle with excitement.
We ended up going out that night and I accompanied this fragrance layered under Bal d'Afrique by Byredo and it actually amplified the scent, giving it a musky, dirtier undertone. And let's just say, it was a great night. ;)

Perfumers may scoff at this concept of layering, but from wearability perspective, you can play Oud 27 'safer', whilst amplifying other fragrances that may seem a bit 'vanilla'. It seems to work especially well with other woody scents or vetiver based fragrances. Right now, I'm loving the Tam Dao Edp combined with Oud 27.
I'll be looking at adding a full bottle to my collection once the sample runs out.
Any fragrance lovers should give this a sniff. I appreciate it for its artistic qualities and kudos to Le Labo for funding such an experimental scent.
I can't wait to see what Le Labo would do with Civet 00.

deadidol
deadidol

This one’s pure fun to me. It’s the most synthetic, rubbery, spacey oud on the market, and I kind of love that about it. It has almost no connection to actual oud (it's clearly Givaudan's Black Agar blend), and it’s like marinating in saffron and damascone beta. The overall result is a jammy, berry-like latex with some hardcore civet thrown in. It takes the whole Western wimpy "oud" concept and Westernizes it further with hilarious results.

It’s probably the most chemical smelling scent Le Labo has released, but I actually think that’s part of its weirdo charm. It’s also not something that you could wear on a regular basis—at least I couldn’t—as it’s strong and cloying at first. Upfront, you get honeyed damascone berries and civet, then the “oud” creeps in with “saffron” by its side, and from that point on the scent is basically latex gloves and skeezy florals. It’s sickly at first, but it sorts itself out a bit after a few minutes. The base seems to be a pedestrian vetiver/cedar combo, but I found that much of the scent fizzles out before it really gets to that point anyway.

If someone were shopping for ouds, I’d keep them far away from this one. But if that person needed a great scent for a trip to the circus, I think Oud 27 would be ideal. It’s fun, blaring, and super weird.

ms rochambeau

Has a kind of strong saffron note in the opening like your sniffing a bottle of the actual deep red flower parts and it's little odd, overwhelming and medicinal. Maybe I haven't had enough experience with oud, except with Montale's Aoud Roses Petals. In ARP the oud, while odd and strange, is absolutely gorgeous. But Oud 27 smells very weird and chemical mess on me. 15 minutes later you can detect soft woods, but then the scent suddenly disappears. I was very disappointed as I expected Oud 27 to be as rich and lasting as Patchouli 24. It isn't. This really needs to be sampled before you purchase a full bottle.

Shibor
Shibor

Animal scent with prominent civet note. Polarizing and challenging. Not for everyday use, but depending on the mood. For that reason I like this fragrance.

aphexacid
aphexacid

AH YES! Something about this perfume makes me feel alive! I spray it on and i just feel energized!

It's so unique, so animal, and so invigorating!

Not for the faint of heart, and not for those looking for something fresh pleasant for work!
You could very well be wearing this only for yourself. But you owe it to yourself to try it.

Its got a beautiful woody base, so its not just civet overload. Let it calm down a bit, and you may appreciate it more. That signature Le Labo aroma can be detected after about 20 minutes when it calms down some.

Performance is above average, but not insane. Probably a bit over 8 hours. Silage is good, projection medium.

I love this.

gottfried
gottfried

I think I can just faintly smell it nearly 24 hours later.
It reminds me a bit of Byredo m/mink which I also have tried however Oud 27 is closer to a more animalic side whereas m/mink smells more inky.

Those who said it smells strongly like urine, I have smelled scents that exactly smell like a toilet that hasnt been flushed in a while, this is very mild trust me.

It's a much more subtle animalic kind of pungency.
Not unpleasant to my nose at all.

prodigy
prodigy

Finally found the worst smelling fragrance I have smelled to date. Literally made me want to vomit which is the second fragrance to give me that feeling beside by kilian pure oud. Reminded me of the gag inducing cough medicine smell I would take when I was sick. Absolutely horrifying.

natashad11

Lovely fragrance hiding behind the blast of civet that appears on my skin. If you're somewhat anosmic to civet or you like it in a fragrance, you might still enjoy this. Warm and smokey, I can smell the rose, oud, patch and a bit of cedar. But the pee stank never goes away for my nose. Too bad! I don't smell any rubber at all.

ms rochambeau

On me Oud 27 was a highly synthetic, chemical mess. I couldn't wash it off fast enough. However I find their Patchouli 24 to be divine!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

One of the few oud-based scents I like. I admit this is not one of my favourite notes, so among the thousands of scents I've never tried yet, oud scents are not exactly on my "top" list. But this one was quite a surprise. A friend of mine brilliantly defined this "an imaginative oud" and in fact, I think she was perfectly right. The opening is pleasant, a peculiar balance between an oud base, with its signature indolic/animalic personality, and a velvety, delicate, dusty rose breeze. The overall smell is much ethereal and spacious, but sharp and clear. The notes are linear and thin, the ambiance is rarefied and silent, vast and wide but calm and "void" in a way. All it's there, but all is transparent. Initially the oud note is much refined and civilised, and also quite subtle. It's more of a linear, woody accord, quite clean and a bit rubbery, with just a slight but palpable and ambiguous "oud" heart. The same for the rose note, it's talcum-powdery but restrained and positively plain. This makes me think of "sheets", one on another, on a perfectly white glass desk, if that makes sense. The vibe is open-air, but industrial too, or more precisely, a "lab" vibe, with that specific medicinal/suspended mood, rarified but oppressing too. I also think of waiting lounges and that kind of post-modern "non-places". After a while a balsamic refreshing breeze arises, still with a powdery feel, and I like this passage a lot – often notes vanish or tone down, this instead just "comes in" like if someone opened a window. The "key" adjective here are "clean", "sophisticated", "subtle", "aerial". The oud base is there and it's shady, but is also delicate and fairly inoffensive (which is perhaps one of the reasons why I like this scent, I like oud either like this, or just raw and unleashed, like is the darkest Montale's). After one hour or so, a nice twist again, some unexpected accords come in shape; a woody/incense nuance, a dry white musks accord, a slightly salty breeze. Luminous, in a totally contemporary, artificial meaning. Moreover, some of those notes fades away, and all that aerial lightness gently "vanishes". The drydown turns almost into a delicate and essential chypre, a nostalgic, dark and somehow sensual thin accord, still clean but a bit more dense, gloomy and sweaty. A great evolution for a really good scent, not my cup of tea but brilliantly executed and worth a try.

7,5-8/10

Woah Oud 27 from Le Labo opens with an uncompromisingly massive boozy unpleasant clove accord. Settles for a moment then super, super animal civet, filthy warm amber and Oud...I think there's labdanum in here too. Personally I think it's madness but there's something about it that I want to like.
The opening is a very acquired taste but as it dries down and becomes less musky, the Oud is more apparent because of the relative mellowing of other strong notes. Oud 27 is not proudly following in the time served tradition of Arabian perfumers instead blazing it's own contemporary trail and fittingly smelling like something conceived of in a laboratory.
Not something I'd necessarily wear but you know what... My attitudes toward this sort of musky, powerhouse perfume are slowly changing and I actually enjoyed this in a strange way. Especially the woodier dry down when it gets a bit nicer and close to the skin.
As much as I'm intrigued by Oud 27 and trying to be all open minded and challenged by it....the fact remains it generally smells bad to me and I'd never wear it.
It's Le Labo as a house I have a problem with more than anything. I'm 4 into the 6 samples I got and not one that I've found to be innovative or original.

Kain

OK. this is my second review for this fragrance after about a year and half!
I don't know what happened here but after testing this again now I can detect oud in it!
At the opening I can smell an oily woody dark oud note mixed with some spices and heavy animalic scent.
I can still detect dirty and herbal vetiver note though but oud is more prominent than other notes.
It's dark, woody, oily, a little sweet and dirty musky all at the same time.
As time goes by and in the mid the animalic scent settled down just a bit and I can smell a little more sweetness and a little more oud and vetiver notes that together giving the scent more dark and a little smoky feeling.
I can smell some floral notes too but they are in the background.
Projection is OK (not that great) and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
A simple and high quality oud based fragrance with good supporting of animalic and vetiver note.

این دومین توصیف من برای این عطر هست بعد از حدود یکسال و نیم
نمیدونم این وسط چه اتفاقی افتاده ولی الان میتونم رایحه عودُ حس کنم :دی
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی تاریک و سنگین و روغنی چوب عود شروع میشه که مقدار مشخصی از رایحه ادویه جات و مقدار زیادی رایحه های حیوانی اونو همراهی میکنن
البته هنوزم میشه بوی گیاهی و کثیف وتیورُ حس کرد منتها عود به نسبت بقیه رایحه ها قویتره
بوی عطر در مجموع کمی شیرین هم هست
با گذر زمان بوی عطر کمی شیرینتر میشه و کمی رایحه گلها یعنی گل رز بهش اضافه میشه
در این مرحله رایحه چوب عود و وتیور کمی قویتر میشن و حس تاریک تر و سنگین تری به عطر میدن
پخش بوش نسبتا خوبه و ماندگاری بین 6-7 ساعت روی پوست داره
در مجموع کار ساده ولی بسیار با کیفیتی بر اساس رایحه عود هستش

cytherian
cytherian

So there is oud in this, but in small measure. Some extract of agarwood? This is a weird fragrance.

Le Labo names its fragrances with a number for the notes count. So there's 27 different notes mixed in with this. Considering this, it comes off pretty well. I wouldn't expect so many different ingredients would be required to achieve this fragrance.

I'm still working on this sample, so I'll need some time to write about it in more detail. But frankly... for the prices charged by Le Labo I'm not hopeful I'd spend my money on this. There are other fragrances much more appealing to me that cost less.

$tefanOud
$tefanOud

I find this is a really enjoyable fragrance with a skanky note wich i can only smell if i put my nose on my wrist.when i spray this in my neck the first thing that comes to mind is green, woody, dry aromatic.after a hour or so the wood get more tuned by a little bit of sweetnes but this is far from a sweet fragrance.I like this sort of fragrances.Not the same smell but reminds me of dior leather oud an xerjoff zafar. Bitt skanky defitnitly try before you buy.Not for everyone

christianne1
christianne1

Pretty much hate the opening....but I like the dry down. Not quite love though but I find the dry down pretty interesting. First 10 minutes is pretty eeek worthy. I honestly thought there would be no hope for me liking this based on the initial blast and first 10 minutes of shrieking but it does chill a lot and ends up smelling less strange, weird and sour....and more mildly sweet, ethereal and oudy. But this is not a really sweet fragrance or anything by any means. So hard to explain this one. It is like it is trying to put out a sort of Timbuktu vibe but is worlds away from having that kind of success with it. Oud 27 pretty much just has to be tested to even begin to have a clue what it is like. I only have a sample and would not buy a FB. But I have enjoyed trying it though. I like bi-polar fragrances with a plot twist that surprises me at the end. I expected to walk out before the first intermission on this one but surprisingly stayed until the end....and even watched a bit of the closing credits.

moon.poon.35
moon.poon.35

As a kid, I would often go with my mom to a bazaar that sells everything from rich, colorful rugs to silky, gauzy, fabrics, finely krafted china alongside kitschy knickknacks, there were also candied dates, plums, chocolates, it was often noisy and hot, and amidst all that chaos, there was a scent that permeated the air, it was rich, a bit dirty, certainly strong, exotic, as chaotic as the bazaar, it was beautiful. I didn't know what the scent was, but to this day it lingers in my memory and whenever I would catch a whiff of that scent it would take me back to that place.

And then I got a sample of Oud 27 and Oud Silk Mood from Lucky Scents and immediately, I was transported back there to that magical place filled with beauty, color, flavor and rich, intoxicating fragrance. I don't have the experience and the know-how to distinguish notes in a perfume, so I can't offer a review or opinion based on their notes, all I can convey is the feeling, the memory that these scents conjure. And to me, they are powerful, beautiful and evocative.

Veteverian
Veteverian

Le Labo Oud 27

Oud 27 is notorious. On perfume forums, not a single thread about animalics goes without mentioning Oud 27. It is one of the most debated and polarizing modern fragrances.

Oud 27 is deceptive. Reading about it, you will find little truth. Half the people will say that it is repulsive, and another half will tell you that is is gorgeous. What is even more deceptive is that there is no oud, synthetic or natural, in this perfume. You have to experience it for yourself.

Perfumes promise to delight. When one first smells a fragrance, they expect to be pleased, not challenged, and definitely not offended. For a common person, Oud 27 is a sucker punch straight to the nose. First breath, and it feels like you had the air knocked out of you. The civet reeks. It is stale, unsettling, pissy, and dirty. It overpowers everything and leaves you shocked. However, you notice something strange behind the civet, and instead of recoiling in horror, you sniff on and find a strange, sweet, synthetic berry accord drawing you to inhale deeper. Here you find that pleasure which you expect to get out of a perfume. Here lies the art of Oud 27.

I can't say that it is well blended yet. As it develops, the dusty, dirty, earthy, pissy animalic accord does not go anywhere. It stays there like Quasimodo, in an old suit, holding a bouquet of stale flowers and a box of dried fruit candy. Oud 27 is a juxtaposition of tenderness and repulsion.

Oud 27 is triumphant in the drydown. The dust settles down. The dirt grows on you, flowers bloom, and you learn to love it.

Oud 27 is an antihero. The audience is presented with something unmistakably flawed and human. At first, there is more to dislike about Oud 27 than there is to like. However, something about it is promising. There is a glimpse of beauty within the character, and the audience is gripped by an inner conflict of the ugly and the good. In the end, you learn to, if not love, then at least respect Oud 27 for the complexity of its nature.

First experience: I received a broken sample from the perfumed court, and the envelope was permeated with Oud 27's dry down. I knew it was bottle worthy there and then.

Veteverian.wordpress.com

butterblades
butterblades

This is the first scrubber I've had in quite a while! Smells of sultry vag.

natashad11

Definitely test this before you purchase it- just because it does or doesn't work for another reviewer, doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

I didn't detect any rubber or medicinal smell at all, but I did detect what I think must be the civet; the pee smell. My dog even started sniffing at me like crazy when I sprayed it. I knew it would dry down, and it did, but I simply couldn't spend so much money on something that I wouldn't want to spray anywhere but my wrists because the urine smell is horrid.

BUT I will say that after about an hour or two, the urine smell did subside and what was left behind through the dry down was really great.

Thomas Mahendra
Thomas Mahendra

I've got a good nose and I agree with some on how this smells like piss. Definitely get a sample first. The only fragrances this company has bragging rights to is the santal , neurological,patchouli.

cezarmac
cezarmac

Sorry since by now because i'm just a fragrance curious and to be honest i can't even Split the notes as well like you readers need to be informated,something on Oud 27 reminds me some common friend from us that used to attend Fragrantica then i can talk about on it easily.Guess who is the friend?If you are thinking about Jean-Baptist,you are right so let me start to talking about Oud 27 while we remember a little bit Jean-Baptist at the same time(If you don't know him yet you at least should read Perfume book 10 times before start your journey on the perfume kingdome).I remember very well when Grenoulli was just dominated the art of craft perfumes and he used to wear it according with the situations like sometimes fragrances that could fascinating old ladies another times smell like if the only thing importante in this world was to be in Peace like smell so different to keep people always one arm away from distance because the "stink" although satisfying himself,here the last one was the reason i've mentioned Grenoulli i mean Oud 27 is not made to be pleasant and yes for those who like to be discrete and smelling only for your own.Therefore i see peoples talking Montale Black aoud has no good smell then Oud 27 is just rotten for them and im not included on this list because the 2 first hours experience by Oud 27 is priceless just like turning water into wine.
One day i'll get back on this review and be able to talking about how the notes and projection are fascinating.By the way i can sniff on my wrist a rich green mix with cozy earth smell in duo with herbal incense looking like never fade away.
3 cues for you:
Try to survive the first hour and will be blessed
Dont try this at home
Crowndpleasers and metallic citruses lovers just stay away because this "stink".

Thank you luckyscent by the sample.

ladykarl
ladykarl

This wood is so dry it makes me think of having a mouth full of cotton balls

This must be great for those who love their dry woods
apparently this is not my thing

ohh i dont like amergris

laurent.jardin.9
laurent.jardin.9

A romantic night with a tiger. Or a tigress.

nada

There is no true oud in it, just some wee smell and plenty of vetyver, which is why everyone sais it reminds of Encre Noire. I personally think it is disgrace to call such perfume oud. Why would wee remind of oud? It is just a vetyver scent.

kankri
kankri

When I first put this on, it was very strong and sharply medicinal. I've read another review that described it as a bandage sort of smell, and I agreed. Other people that I asked also agreed. When I smelled this, I could feel it, rushing into my throat and chest. My eyes almost watered at how strong it was. I did not like this.

It stayed like this for the next two hours. At this point I would take periodic sniffs while I went about doing my business, though I gradually stopped, since it didn't seem to change at all.

Now it's been 5 hours. Sometime when I wasn't paying attention, this finally changed. I get amber, resin, and a soft musk, though I can catch that medicinal sharpness just lingering around. I think I actually like this.

judyk

I'm really puzzled by peoples' reaction to Oud 27. Since my September review I've acquired a sample from Le Labo - and I *still* don't seem to be experiencing the same scent others do.

I get no skankiness at all. It's fresh, green and uplifting. Perhaps I'm anosmic to this particular musk, but I get no civet either.

Kain says there's no oud in it, and I would tend to take his word for it, but whatever *is* in it certainly reminds me of the oud I've smelt elsewhere. In fact to me, maybe because of the Band-Aid note, Oud 27 smells almost clinically clean.

BillyC28
BillyC28

Oud is always a very enjoyable but ODD note / ingredient to my nose. I love it, but defientely has some strange undertones to it. Along with their Patchouli 24, Oud 27 is one of the most unique, memorable, astonishing fragrances I've ever sprayed on a tester or my skin. I think my 3rd eye just split open and came out when I sniffed this, cuz this was like a revolutionary, avant-garde, life-changing, altering kind of experience. So many thoughts came to my mind all jumbled together, and as another person put it on here, the initial opening of this knocks u off ur feet. And I couldn't form an initial impression when I smelt this the 1st time, cuz my thoughts were racing and I was dis-armed.

But love the skankiness of this, definetely get that animalic, skanky, urine tone from it. This is extremely rich and memorable. Gets lots of attention. You have to be a brave and bold person who likes attention if you wear this, cuz if ur not that type of person you're going to hate wearing it. Gets lots of attention. BUT LOVE IT :)

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Disappointed in this house so far, save maybe for Rose31.

The infamous musk (skank form) rears it's head again, and is quite strong for it in here. Not at all a fan of the deliberately-daring (or read- offensive) opening of animalic notes, juxtaposed with the aromatic green 'chemicals'. Not herbal, more like leafy/fresh. But just plain strange along with the 'urinal' shenanigans. Come to think of it, maybe urinals in a forest wouldn't be too out of place for when times get tough for venturers.

Sweet woods and tiny hints of some form of okay-ish Oud appear later, but it's a brave man/lady that dares dive this deep!

Weird and certainly not wonderful is my view. Totally unamused- if I were to blind buy this that is! But thank God for samples. That's why we scent-nut heads play this game =]

1/5.

nada

This is not oud and does not deserve to be called so. Don't know how would like to smell like that. Reminds of uncleaned rubbish bin.

If it was oud, why would you hide it among other boring notes? Oud is too precious to be treated this way. Does not do justice for the name or for oud.

Kain

While the name is "Oud 27" I can ensure you there is no oud in this fragrance!
The opening is semi fresh and green musky scent with some sweetness and some floral notes in the background.
It's green and herbal but not sharp and unpleasant.it's smooth and natural.
I can mostly smell vetiver and aldehydes and they have old and classic vibe. remind me of when I was a kid and my grandfather's closet!
There is no sign of oud! not at all.
One word to describe this fragrance is going to be GREEN!
Above average projection and longevity.
Good and natural smell but it's not something that you would like to use every day!
در حالي كه اسم عطر عود 27 هست بهتون اطمينان ميدم تو اين عطر اصلا عود نداره
اولش بوي گياهي با حس سبز داره كه مقداري شيرينه و مقداري هم رايحه گلها ميشه تو رايحه حس كرد
بوي بسيار كلاسيك و قديمي داره. بويي مثل بوي وتيور وحشي و طبيعي و سبز داره كه البته خيلي تند و تيز نيست و بوي خيلي آرامش بخشي داره اما همونطور كه گفتم بوي عطرهاي خيلي قديمي و كلاسيك رو ميده
يه چيزي مثل گرلن وتيور تقريبا منتها تند و تيزيش كمتره و بوش شيرينتر و ملايمتره
از اول تا آخر بوي تقريبا يكساني داره و تنها حسي كه بهتون ميده يه حس سبز و گياهي و ملايم هست
پخش بو و ماندگاري متوسط به بالايي داره
اگه دنبال عود ميگردين برين يه جاي ديگه. از اين عطر چيزي نصيبتون نميشه

walkdogg
walkdogg

I am actually getting a pine sap smell in this. Reminicent of my days as a boy scout, camping out and being in the wilderness. When climbing trees or chopping them down I'd often get that thick sticky, IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE sap on my hands and it would not come off with anything but kerosene or gas.
The opening of this OUD 27 by Le Labo has much the same aroma as that sap.

judyk

OK, I've got a vial that's labelled "Oud 27"... but reading the other reviews here would almost make me think it had to be something else!

The opening was indeed Band-Aid plus incense and cedar, sweet and not at all unpleasant. In fact, refreshing to be able to smell oud without the usual rose accompaniment.

There must be a healthy dose of Iso E Super in here as well because the next phase was wave after wave of iso surging up from my wrist. I don't mind a bit of iso - so far, so good...

About half an hour in, just at the point when I was beginning to worry that that was it, the iso fog retreated and all the notes started to make their presence known. Mainly oud and a combo of notes that smell like saffron to me, with patchouli, amber and musk notes coming and going at random.

I don't get *any* of the sour or skanky notes others have referred to. All nicely sweet, clean and fresh. It's a lovely scent I would happily wear anywhere and I'm going to need more than this little 1ml decant!

I'm a real gringo when it comes to oud. My concept derives solely from the perfumes in which it is said to figure and which I happen to have sniffed. My suspicion is that Le Labo OUD 27 is the answer to those who so often complain about oudless oud perfumes. The heavy, rubbery and almost harsh demeanor of this perfume leads me to believe that this may in fact be the real thing. Why else make a perfume which smells as this one does, if not to satisfy the yearnings for an authentic oud experience?

The naysayers have compared OUD 27 to Bandaids and shoe polish, and I do not disagree. This perfume may serve as a litmus test to true oud appreciation. I suspect that this would probably smell great blended with a powerful dose of rose, but as an unadorned presentation of oud--or so it seems--I do not find it very pleasant at all.

What I have learned through this Le Labo oud experience is that I probably need some more training before I'll be able to appreciate the real thing--assuming that this is genuine oud and not simply some overwrought and ill-conceived synthetic attempt at mimicry...

For now, I think it's safe to say that I still prefer the wimpy Westernized oud perfumes.

frangrancejunky
frangrancejunky

I will start by saying this is an utter disappointment, I should mention as well that this not your typical rosy oud, in fact all I can get is a linear raw oud boosted with some patchouli and that's the end of the short lived story, after the first hour you can hardly detect anything, I must admit though, it would last up to 6 hours. but what's the purpose if it's not going to be noticed while it lasts?

You must take into consideration, that I have bought it/I wrote this review in the middle of the summer so if it didn't assert its presence now. what could I expect from it in the winter weather ? to wither!!

I would like my oud to scream "I'm hear" and to suffocate me in order or me to be satisfied, in fact I'm not into transparent timid ouds.

Advice: you'd better to try other oud based perfumes if you don't prefer the rosy ouds , try Creed royal oud for instance or even Tom Ford oud wood

louisdav
louisdav

I wish i could write a review of this but my gag reflex refuses to let me experience a full wearing.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I personally don't like it when oud smells like rubber and band-aids, but I love it here...err...when it dries down. It's pretty darn strong at first. After sampling Juliette Has a Gun's oud perfumes, which IMHO smell very synthetic like plastic, I can safely say that Le Labo's Oud 27 is awfully palatable in comparison because it smells a lot more natural.

In the first 30-60 minutes, the fragrance smelled like rubber and urine. After it mellowed out, I smelled something faintly sweet--and I mean FAINTLY. It's a bit strange to me that the scent of urine, rubber, wood, and bandages can end up smelling rather beautiful, so I tip my hat off to the creator of this perfume.

When I really press my nose to my skin, vivid memories come back to me of the various times in my life I've spent nights in cabins made of wood. This is the point at which Oud 27 becomes extremely pleasant to wear. And as I go about my day, I keep smelling traces of dark florals making their way up to my nose. Rose seems probable.

While I do feel Le Labo's perfumes are totally unisex, I would love to smell Oud 27 on a strong, sexy man. There is a darkness about it that I find alluring and seductive.

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

smells like a dentist office

yacoco
yacoco

first this is not a perfume this just mixed oiles
for me its to strong and smells bad also expansive
anyway if want to throw up just buy it

PANAMERA
PANAMERA

One of the beautiful smells based on Oud as it's main note...

Kharnak
Kharnak

This is like a Much purer, dryer Oud, very definitive. The pure definition. It will come off as Medicinal, Antiseptic, or Alcohol like, but it sweetens out and projects so wonderfully. Doesn't smell much like body funk, but it compliments it VERY well as a companion.
Hmmm.. i'm thinking Black Pepper Liquor with Mint. Black Pepper Schnapps? XD

If you're into skanky "oud-and-animalic" concoctions a-là Aoud Cuir D'Arabie or Dior's Leather Oud, this one could represent a fantastic alternative (or addition). Oud 27 opens with a strong and sort of arresting accord of saffron and raunchy leather while the oud enhances the overall challenging vibe with an extremely pungent/sour presence. WOW! The first hour is quite an experience. Unusual, uncompromising and shocking.

After the initial brutal blast, Oud 27 settles down and turns to be slightly more "conventional" playing the dark woods game. In this phase the oud shines joined by woods galore and bringing to mind of a (much) paler version of ByKilian's Pure Oud. While I still thoroughly enjoy this composition, I find it somehow short-lived. Lasting is not among the best (expecially considering the intense opening) and the fragrance looses its initial challenging power too rapidly. Personally I stick with the bolder (and even skankier) Leather Oud, but Oud 27 comes definitely as a close second.

Not for everybody.

Scentrist
Scentrist

I've really tried to like this scent, but after enough samplings on skin, it comes down to one factor with Oud 27: The over-pungent sour note at the very top. Not just a mild sour odor, but the kind of "damp sponge left around far too long" sourness that becomes unpleasant.

I'll grant that it starts to dissipate around 30 minutes in and is barely noticeable at two hours; for me, it's two hours too long. Otherwise, what remains otherwise is definitely interesting if not earthy and animalic. It is bombastic, unapologetic, and loudly projects your arrival by wearing it. It's insanely bold and rather untamed compared to other Ouds (Montale Our Cuir d'Arabie comes to mind) that use much more subtlety. I'd completely agree with it being "edgy" in a way that I'd compare to being rough at those same edges. If you want the bull and promise to never let it venture into the China Shop, this is probably your style.

My view is that if you enjoy very tarry, resiny, thick-smelling Oud fragrances, this is worth trying. For my view, however, it lacks some of the refinement that I would prefer in a fragrance.

janudy
janudy

I'm new to oud, and I think this was a bit too much for me to appreciate. I recognized the oud right off the bat, but it's not a note that like very much, which is a shame given the recent flood of oud fragrances. My initial impressions of this fragrance were stomach rolling-I got this very loud black pepper note and something that was nauseatingly oily--almost like turpentine. Or linseed oil for those of you that do any oil painting. I don't think oud and I will ever be friends, but if you like it, then try this. The longevity is excellent and the oud is loud and present.

dead
dead

Oud 27 reminds me of Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange, while it's more animalic. Oud 27 starts with a very animalic, fierce, attractive smell, and then it turns softer and sweeter.

It's very sexy, mesmerizing and quite wearable for the ppl who are into oud like me.

FirstPartisan
FirstPartisan

One of the best Ouds ever made. Refined, animalic, delicious, and complex. If you are new to Oud, stay away from this. You have to have an open mind and some sort of experience with Ouds prior to this; if not, you won't appreciate it.

spoombung
spoombung

I'm a big fan of this stuff.

My overwhelming impression is one of brightness, luminosity and radiance; there's a buzzy, high-pitched, sour vibe from the oud and saffron when the scent first goes on the skin. This is the bit I most enjoy! Later it settles down and moderates it's behaviour when the cedar wood and resins become more prominent. The sour note is very assertive and I can understand why some people might compare it with the unwelcome, edgy smell of urine - but for me, it's a world away and has an entirely different, pleasing quality; it's very attractive in my opinion - almost mouth-watering. It's great in hot weather. Friends (who are not perfume experts or anything like that) most often say it smells like sour tangerines and apricots.

The uniqueness of this perfume has somehow burned it's way into my olfactory memory and I've experienced a strong craving for it on several occasions since acquiring the sample bottle and I am now in possession of a full, glorious bottle.

Amazing stuff.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

The initial scent was headache-inducing but evaporated down to a decent dark and sweet oud. Not for the faint hearted, but if oud suits you, this is one to try.

Oud is a note that is relatively new to me. As I strolled through the department store, I noticed Oud 27 and thought that it would be the perfect moment to experience oud, which is either a love it or hate it.

Oud 27 opened quite strong and edgy, however despite its rather loud entrance, I sensed that I was falling in love already.

In my words, Oud 27 smells like rich, resinous woods with a touch of spicy earthiness and fragrant smoke. It's not your typical run-of-the-mill type scent, it is very unique and sits more on the masculine side of things.

I'm a girly-girl, however I love wearing this. The scent makes me feel in control and sexy, in a bad-girl way.

This fragrance has a somewhat leathery feel, which reminds me of Bandit by Robert Piguet, however I wouldn't say that they are very alike in scent. There really isn't anything like it.

The earthiness does create an almost dirty feel, which can be off-putting for some. Oud 27 is very raw and I would say, shocking. It actually smells a little bit like sex.

I adore Le Labo's Oud 27. It is absolute perfection to my nose. The amazing lasting strength and sillage only adds to this fragrance's impressiveness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bottle of this sitting on my dresser very soon.

falovalo
falovalo

If you're in the market for a shoe polish fragrance, here ya go!

That was my initial thought when I smelld Oud 27 and my opinion hasn't changed much. It's not a bad scent, just very unusual. It's not something I would want to smell on my boyfriend, but it's one of those scents that makes you want to take a whiff of it from the bottle just for fun.

rebella
rebella

Are you looking for something similar to Bvlgari Black but a little edgier? Or something like CdG Tar, but a little softer and more wearable? Then Oud 27 could be your perfect choise!

If it is a little rubber in Bvlgari Black, there is a lot of rubber in Oud 27. But not heavy, hard to wear rubber, this is like rubber made to wear. Smoth, shiny and sexy (if you´re in to rubber, definitly!).

Also there is vanilla softing it up, some saffron, incense and patchouli make it a little more complex and interesting.

One of my fav perfumes from Le Labo. Longlasting, strange and kind of fun!
Recommend it to anyone that likes odd perfumes that stands out from the crowd.