Designers » L » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Rose 31 Le Labo for women and men

Rose 31 Le Labo for women and men
dislike

Rose 31 by Le Labo is a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women and men. Rose 31 was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Daphne Bugey. Top notes are rose and caraway; middle notes are rose, vetiver and cedar; base notes are musk, guaiac wood, olibanum, labdanum and agarwood (oud).

Rose Caraway

Rose Vetiver Cedar

Musk Guaiac Wood Olibanum Labdanum Agarwood (Oud)

Khaliji
La Fille de Berlin

Rose 31 Fragrance Reviews

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a sample from Le Labo. I hardly get any rose if there's any. Reminds me of Vetyver 46 with the prominent vetiver and frankincense. Moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

Lana148
Lana148

Woody, spicy rose.

I adore this fragrance. This composition is so unique and striking. This feels so deep and enigmatic, but also organic and earthy at the same time.

Although the rose is the big part of this fragrance, it feels like the rose itself comes here second and strong, spicy, woody aroma takes the first place. Keep this in mind before trying, because this is not just a pure rose scent.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Posting my review again after wearing this regularly; I am not too acquainted with rose base scents, however good or whatever form they may assume, but with this one I really do have to take exception.

This is a very interesting rose. Some spice, some dare and exciting interplay with exotic spice notes here. Starts sweet and stays sweet all the way.

The cumin top (mid?) for me is amazing here, none of the odious/sweat type thing going on. In fact, I'd readily say easily one of the best cumins on the market! Huge kudos for LeLabo.

A real step above the rest- soft spicy cumin then transforms into the now 'famous' woodsy rose. The spices and watery-wood effects are quite remarkable during the scent progression, could have easily been my No1 if not for the lingering rose. But I know it's many's for good reason, and you cant put down a good Rose in the end I guess even if u run a mile.

Musk is very muted for me, drowned out by the sweetness, amber and rose and all the good for it!

Very clever, unique and quality blend, all-in-all I'm too impressed! A true work-of-art. Sample courtesy of LuckyScent.

5/5.

zaetown
zaetown

As a man; i enjoy the smell of rose and for me this frag is perfect, why so? Because even though it does not have a very pronounced rose smell it is detextable through out the whole fragrance ,at least on my skin. Towards the end of the drydown it settles in the background and blends so well with the vetiver and spiciness thats in here that keeps me smelling like the MAN a wana smell like.i love wat this thing does for me and performance is excellent!

So for those men who wana smell like a heavy dose of strong rose this is not for you so dont down play and hate on this lovely composition because the rose is not wat u want it to be. It is wat it is and it is good enuff for me. Lovin it.

Overally 4.5 /5

PurpleLilac
PurpleLilac

I can smell the rose here if i really concentrate but the cumin and cardamon completely overpower it on me. My mom uses Black Pepper oil for muscle aches and that is all I can smell now.

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

I think this is rather good - but the name is misleading and this is WAY overhyped. As some have already mentioned, this is really a woody vetiver fragrance with just a small dose of rose to soften the edges. If you're gonna name a fragrance "Rose 31", then rose better be the star note in that fragrance. Not here...

I've been exploring rose fragrances a bit more of late. It's not a note that I've ever loved, but I'm coming to like. For those looking for a unisex rose that that isn't screamingly rosy, I'd suggest Rose Anonyme by Atelier. It uses woody and spicy notes to buffer the rose (like Rose 31), but doesn't completely obliterate the rose with those notes. Rose 31 is a real conundrum - it's not rosy enough to be a great rose fragrance nor is it among the better vetiver-based fragrances out there (stick to Sycomore, or Guerlain, or Diptyque's Vertyverio, or countless others...)

lolitajade
lolitajade

Read on another website forum that this smells exactly like al rehab khaliji. See above.

Taskphorce

This was one of my first niche purchases, I then used it frequently and set aside for a while. I then sold it....Big Mistake. I've never missed a fragrance so much...so last night I repurchased it again...this was a sure sign that I need to keep this is in my collection forever. This opens up with a spicy-woodsy rose that reminds me of a good smelling body odor...as strangely as it sounds....!! That "odor" fades somewhat in time but never really goes away. The Vetiver note is earthy and dry...I absolutely love it and will always have this around when I need to fulfill my Rose 31 Fix!!!

jasmin5327
jasmin5327

Feminine rose with a woody twist, what's not to love? My only concern is that it sometimes is too flat, both elements are strong from the first spray till it wears off. I love smelling Rose 31 on others but it's not for me personally. Also the price is quite scary, so...

aphexacid
aphexacid

I've tried so hard to love Rose 31. But the fact is, it should be called Vetiver 31. That would really be more fitting. After about 1.5 hours anyway.

The first hour and a half is a magical blend of spicy and almost sweaty cumin. Glorious rose. Woods. And the bastard vetiver.

All is beautiful and rosey until 1.5 hours pass. The rose disappears, and you're left with essentially a vetiver and sweaty cumin smell.

I didnt want a vetiver perfume! Its such an original and unique smell when the Rose is dominant. But once that goes away, i lose interest completely.

$160 for 50ML of a scent that will spend more time on your skin as a vetiver perfume, than a rose perfume. Not really a great thing since vetiver perfumes are a dime a dozen and do it better than this one.

Longevity is Above average at 8-12 hours. 5-6 hours initially projecting nicely.

hainss
hainss

Good fragrance, but for me a got too much Cumin.

emily7
emily7

Someone once mentioned an "anorexic rose" describing Rose 31 and I just couldn't agree more; this fashionable rose has surely been on a diet too long because she has no curves, no joie de vivre, no meat on the bones to speak of.
In fact, it seems to be a lesser version of (by now iconic) McQueen's Kingdom - IMHO one of the best contemporary androgynous roses out there. Yes, hard to find and getting more and more expensive, but nonetheless deeper, richer, more funky and far more persuadable than the overpriced Le Labo doppelganger.

acep
acep

It's pretty true, there isn't anything special about it but once you turn your back on it, you begin to miss it.
I wasn't a fan of it at the beginning, but there is something intoxicating about it that draws me back to it again and again.
It really does envelop you in this soft warmth that I really love.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

I got a sample in a larger lot of samples and thought it was only okay, but once I'd used it up I really missed it and I've ended up with a full bottle. It lasts really well, which is increasingly a problem for me with newer scents, which are often gone before I can even appreciate them. I feel like the (crazy) cost of the purchase is justified by the longevity.

I don't love rose and sometimes find a rose-heavy scent gives me a sore throat. I pick up no more than a touch of rose in Rose 31, and the cedar dominates everything. I'm not aware of challenging notes like the cumin some people have mentioned. It's so generically woody that it's almost boring, and yet when I ran out I couldn't stop thinking about it. It looks simple, this unchallenging woodiness, but I can't think of another woody scent I've tried that haunted me so. Not too sweet, not too oily, not too floral - a bit like the baby bear's porridge which wasn't too hot or too cold but just right.

I'm failing to write very eloquently about it, and that's partly because I can't define what it is that's so compelling about Rose 31. It is soft, warm, woody, vaguely floral, comforting and enveloping, rich without being overwhelming, etc, but really it has an X factor that I find it hard to put my finger on. It is so very soft and warm, almost radiant. When I wear it it's as though everything which it has touched glows with its warmth.

Kelle
Kelle

Wanted to like this, I like supporting more niche brands. However the first thing I thought when I smelled this was "curry". That curry bit faded a few minutes later and seemed to fade to a lovely woody note, however it took too long to get there and the curry bit in the start took over, way more than the rose.

tororojo37
tororojo37

At first I thought the rose was going to overpower me, but the scent quickly behaved and the spiciness started coming through. Oddly this seemed to counter the rose and transform them into a slightly green scent, like rosebuds that are cut while still a little green. The drydown smells gorgeous and I find that the pyramid seems to rise and fall rollercoaster style. Definitely keeping this one in stock.

nada
nada

Sorry guys, but I do not consider this a rose fragrance. Yes, rose can be green, can be sultry sweet and powdery, it can be dark and rich with chocolate. This one is not either of those, it is not rose. It is made of some non-floral elements, which has sweetness and smokiness, as is quite fashionable at the moment. And for this fact I am not enjoying it. It maybe quite nice perfume, but it is not rose.

It seems, le labo is really just a lab experiment:0 Same as their oud, which was so promising, it did not deliver.

singlemalt
singlemalt

This is indeed a lovely rose that is dark and spicy. I do enjoy it quite, but I don't see as fb worthy. Perhaps a largish decant. Montale has several roses that are also dark at better price points. Civet, by the way, is NOT cat pee. It is a yellowish musky smelling substance that is produced by the civet cat from a sac that is near its anus. Most 'civet' today is a aroma chemical produced in a lab setting. Genuine civet is very seldom used.

Big Beak
Big Beak

Besides the obvious rose, I smell incense, cedar wood, and maybe a hint of oud. I have Vetiver 46 on the other arm, and this smells similar to it, but with rose on top.

I think this could easily be another Comme des Garcons Series 3 which has different variations of incense tied to religious locations. Rose 31 then might be named CdG :Varanasi or CdG:Haridwar because it has the kind of rose that I smelled in South Asia in Hindu temples.

Bbjr
Bbjr

I absolutely despise florals and when I saw this I figured, "Rose, no way". Well, I'm glad I actually took a sniff of this stuff. I do detect the rose but there is zero floral here. This is animalic and spicy and I love it. I asked the guy that made up my bottle if there is cumin in this and he looked at the notes and sure enough. I don't know what it is about cumin that I like but it adds the perfect compliment to this fragrance. When this dries down it does have a bit of the body odor scent but not at all in a bad way. This is in my top 5. Thanks Le Labo.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is a truly beautiful rose, deep and dark, a bit animalic, but just enough to make it a skin scent that lasts and lasts. And it is very spicy and incensy as well. The oud is perfectly blended and works so well with the caraway and vetiver. A very unisex rose that could easily be worn by a man and works amazingly well on a woman, too.

II am very impressed by this fragrance. The topnotes are clear, pure rose scent. Then the middle and base notes come in loud and clear. The drydown is very spicy and peppery, just delicious, a naughty rose, methinks. The caraway and the woods are amazing here. I am not a huge aoud fan, especially when it is very heavy, but in this scent I would say it is "just right." The aoud gives an exotic, incensy, skin smell to the rose that is really beautiful.

As with all the Le Labo fragrances, I find this scent to be perfectly balanced, showcasing all aspects of the star of the show, the rose.

Taskphorce

This is just an absolute gorgeous scent on a man. Seductive without being too feminine. I find it very comparable to Creed Windsor, I'm shocked nobody has already mentioned that! Both are shockingly similar. Bought a bottle the day after I received a sample, Yes........... it's that good.

keedon
keedon

I got Rose 31 in my mailbox today; truly impressed by the presentation. Will not review the scent here since its already mentioned many times; the packaging is not explored so it deserves a review: Firstly, they throw in a Le Labo brown quality paper bag for every bottle you purchased online; feels just like you bought it from a store. Your perfume sits in a carton box, sealed with a label bearing the name of your name, the amount, when it was brewed, the person who brewed it and her location, and YOUR name. Open this box up and you are greeted with 2 cards; first one explains the history of Le Labo, and the other is a birth certificate, bearing a check list on the side stamped with an "OK" label at each step in the brewing process. The actual bottle is cushioned by an excess of crumpled black paper. Again, it bears the label shown on every image on google. I also received a small paper sachet housing a 1.5ml sample decant of another Le Labo scent, with a handwritten personal message wishing me a good day on the actual sachet. Now who does that aside from LeLabo? The cost is not all juice, but accessories too.

PS: I got my parcel on Day 4 from Paris, and I live in HK, asia.

beata4u2
beata4u2

This is one strange fragrance. I like it and right now I'm literally sitting with my nose glued to my wrist. It's very close to skin. It's has armpitish tone, if I can say like that, and to explain: it reminds me of smelling my first bf armpit after he showered. It's not an unpleasant note,it's just that it's a bit weird. The scent itself has a very comforting feeling about it and yet somehow I feel uncomfortable, almost like if I was revealing a bit too much about myself while wearing it. I'd say it's very intimate, I would only allow my partner/bf/lover to sniff it from my skin. I see it as a 'lovemaking scent'. The silage and lasting power are a bit on a weak side, but overall: I like it - it's going onto my 'Wish list'

Gosha
Gosha

On my skin "Rose 31" feels soft, muted, almost "too faint" as couple of other reviewers mention and not particularly lasting. To me this fragrance is not masculine either - I find it rather unisex and clean somehow. Lightly woody and herby and perhaps even a bit sour, fresh and gently aromatic from the lovely cedar, vetiver and musk. It is altogether very pleasant,really, however, I must also agree with those who claim to detect no rose in this fume, and no caraway or agarwood. All in all I am thinking that this is very "nice", but considering that Le Labo is being branded as "sensational, exclusive, epitome of niche" and it is priced accordingly, I would expect something much more exciting (then again, many seem to be in love, so I do realize that it could be my chemistry...) :-)

RichinTx
RichinTx

Ohhhh...this stuff is....Devine! I can't stop smelling it. Masculine Roses.

aveilhe
aveilhe

There is a rather undeniable cumin-sweaty-armpit note that is difficult for me to get past in Rose 31 (the first time I tested it, I was repulsed, but I have since warmed up to it a bit). Once Rose 31 dries down, and the cumin fades, there is a clear, dry, woody accord that emerges alongside a fresh, dewy rose note (albeit a subtle one).

The melding of fresh rose and dry, bright woods (vetiver, oud, and guaic) in equal proportion is genius here -- creating a truly unisex rose scent. The dry-down is stunning...I just wish I didn't have to wait through the B.O. phase for an hour to get to it.

Helsinki
Helsinki

Without any information about the notes, this is I what smelled: Real, poignant cloves; rose, vetiver, pepper, more spices, oud, and woody notes. I can imagine many 'sensual sophis-ti-cats' wearing Rose 31 with ease.
Rose 31 is like Paris: A beautiful classic known by many, yet capable of being dark and thorny, mysterious, and impossibly magnetic.

blauriche
blauriche

To me it's a warm an approachable blend of rose and vetiver. I like it. I also find it to have the perfect amount of sillage, which is lovely.

EDIT: I made the mistake of wearing this to work yesterday. What worked for my day off didn't work for me at work. Projected too much and the sillage from this thing was like a swirling vortex around me all day.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

I don't get any rose out of this at all, just dry brittle woods. On my skin it's quite similar to Cartier's Le Baisur du Dragon, but Rose 31 lacks the heat and depth of Le Baisur.

ladykarl
ladykarl

This is really nice!

There is something i find about le labo fragrances to be really warm and comforting when they are fitting to the wearer

A straight forwardness here with suggestions of complexity that i appreciate
and make them work well with living in a big city

They remain distinctive and strong in thier own right but wont choke anyone around you when youre stuck in tight quarters

To me this is a big yet subtle deep rose
almost spicy almost leather y but not quite

The caraway holds onto the rose all the way through this composition to its gentle wooded resinous base

If you dont like the smell of caraway /think rye bread/ you probably wont like this

i happen to love rye bread and Its a rose and rye all the way here

It might not be groundbreaking or supreme

But i like it a lot!!

7.5-8/10

Wise-222
Wise-222

I HAVE A SAMPLE FROM THIS ONE,I TRIED IT SO MANY TIMES,IN BRIEF IT'S STUNNING AND ATTRACTIVE FRAGRANCE I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE.
I CAN TAKE OUT MY WALLET AND PAY FOR THIS ONE
EVEN IF IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE..

Redlipstick
Redlipstick

Warm, woodsy, comforting, slightly spicy - mmmmmmmmm. LOVE this cozy scent.

Sandalwood, cedar and rose are the stand out notes here. This is unisex yet it doesn't have that sharpness that many masculine scents tend to have.

I have many of the bath products as well (shampoo, massage oil, soap, etc)

Gorgeous scent. Expensive but worth it.

Perfumes containing rose and spice are always dark, heavy, and complex. Rose 31 seems unnaturally crisp and ethereal. I think it contains a lot of Iso E Super, which usually smells so synthetic, but it seems to work so well here.

The rose is a clean, magenta rose that reminds me of the Enchanted Rose in Beauty and the Beast that is protected under a crystal dome--perfect and sparkling in a way that only a fairy tale could be.

I don't smell cumin. Instead I smell a something like a translucent cinnamon hard candy.

Rose 31 reminds me of Another 13 because they are similar in nature--elusive and ethereal. Instead of smelling like perfumes, they smell like like the ghosts of perfumes.

Longevity is at least 12 hours and I can smell it on myself the entire time, which is marathon power for a fragrance that is not cloying whatsoever. This is not my favorite rose perfume, but it's so unique that I had to purchase a full bottle.

hessa87
hessa87

When I sniffed this back in 2007 I was appalled. This is more Oud-y and Spicy than Rosy.

HOWEVER, flash forward to 2012...This summer we stayed at the Fairmont @ Ghirardelli Sq. in San Francisco. Lo and behold the toiletries were courtesy of Le Labo; and the scent was Rose 31. After 4 days of bathing in the stuff (from Shampoo to Conditioner, to Shower Gel to Body Lotion) I was hooked. Excellent marketing ploy. So I marched on over to Barneys, forked over the $220 dollars (!!!!!) for a bottle of this magical stuff. (I'd have bought the body lotion too but they were out of stock)

Now every time I spray some on, I think of the wonderful time I had on our vacation in California.

Kain
Kain

This is a good and quality rose based fragrance.
The opening is strong, dark and sweet rose scent plus some spicy notes.
It doesn't smell like smooth an light feminine rose based fragrances. it's very dark and masculine.
In the mid, the rose note settle down and small dose of woodsy notes and vetiver joining in, but they are weak in the background.
In the base very smooth, light and transparent rose note dominate which isn't masculine and may be feminine for you but it's very natural and pleasant and give you a very relaxing feeling.
Average projection and longevity.
خوب راستش چيزي كه من براي غير ايراني ها نوشتم با اون چيزي كه به فارسي براي ايراني ها مينويسم خيلي فرق ميكنه
اين يه عطر بر پايه گل رز هست كه ما ايراني ها با اين رايحه آشنايي ديرينه داريم
بله
بوي اوليه و مياني اين عطر كاملا آدمو ياد مشهد و عطر تي رز مشهد ميندازه
فقط انصافا كيفيت بهتر و بوي خوشايندتري داره اما در هر حال همون عطر مشهدي خودمونه
فقط بعد از گذشت حدود يك ساعت و وقتي رايحه هاي پايه شروع به خودنمايي ميكنه شما يه بوي بسيار لطيف و طبيعي رز دارين كه شما رو ياد گل رز طبيعي ميندازه كه بوي بسيار خوشايند و آرامش بخشي داره و البته ممكنه بوش براي شما كمي زنونه به نظر بياد اما حس خيلي خوب و زيبايي به آدم ميده
به نظر من بهترين قسمتش همين يكي دو ساعت پايانيش هست و بقيه اش برام غير قابل تحمله
پخش بو و ماندگاري متوسطي داره

Garyjames
Garyjames

Dark prickly aldehydes and musk and woods. Like most Le Labos they seem to have forgotten to put the main ingredient in. Dang it! Somebody at Le Labo hq is going to be in big trouble when they realize it.

jporras21
jporras21

Simply one the best roses out there. To date, this is by far, my favorite in my collection. I read about the company itself in a magazine, Entrepreneur, and then later found a sample on-line. I have been in love with this scent since. It is worth every penny at $225.00 a bottle.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

There's no rose in this perfume. NO Rose. Period.

What IS there? Well, there's musk, woods, some kind of flower and some kind of vegetable, and more musk. Clean musk. Nothing spicy, nothing dirty. If one uses his imagination, it could be described as "dark", I guess; but I wouldn't.

Despite that, I really enjoy the scent: I find it soothing, clean and comfortable, especially in the dry down.

yacoco
yacoco

smells like soap in bad way
not that much
i try to like it

Actionmac
Actionmac

Yes, yes and YES!

Just received my delivery from lucky scent as I was going out the door to the cleaners. Took the time in the car to open box and look it over and spray a little. I thought, yes... Well crafted and just smells great. Driving I continued to get whiffs with the window open. However, walking into the cleaners standing at the counter, the owners stylish son came to the counter. He was smelling some kinda good. Thinking to myself, shit I thought this Rose 31 was good. Then he said "Yeah Mr. J, that one smells really nice". I thought it was him and the Rose 31 spoke to him and me.

You will enjoy wearing just for you. Smooth, clean, aromatic, confident and inviting. You want explanation of notes, read one of the pro reviews. I only tell you of the wearing experience... although it is this one wearing, it is a very enjoyable experience.

I let my daughter test it and she called me to say, "dad I think this is too girly for you, you should give it to me". I told her ok, but I am keeping it... She wants a bottle for herself.

UPDATE: Wore twice to work and noticed it is not powerful in sillage and projection, but it is noticeable in a personal space... Very personal, so personal that I have been told "you smell good" by females getting closer and have been asked by couple of guys what I was wearing. Yes, this is a scent you wear for you but also a scent that gets you noticed in a personal way. Longevity seems short, however when you move from a standstill you get a whiff of Rose 31 still at work 8 plus hours. Outside Rose 31has good sillage with the breeze. Pleased with this one a staple in my collection.

7.16.13 Well my daughter won and I lost the Rose 31 to her... So I purchased a bottle with her name on it and she kept mine also.

adam.nawaz1
adam.nawaz1

Went to the le labo booth at liberty in London. smelled all the fragrances they had on display, this blew me away. It's one of those smells that when you sniff you just smile and stop thinking what does this smell like, all you think is wow, this smells amazing. the only other male rose fragrance ive smelled is noir de noir by tom ford and i didnt like it because it was too dark and they rose became quite sickening.

to describe this: imagine a guy wearing a really smooth, soft woody type scent hugging a freshly showered girl whose wearing a simple, yet lovely rose scent.. when you walk passed them, that combination is what you get and it is uhhhhmazing.

i am a 24 year old guy, doctor by profession, this is now my no1 scent aheaad of aventus. i will wear this when i want to impress the ladies. and the great thing, even if they all hated i wouldnt care!!

p.s. i hate floral scents as they all remind me of my mum. i dont want to go around smelling like my mum. i would not go a mile near this if i felt this was feminine. this is a special scent made for special men

Yamba1
Yamba1

Animalistic rose. An oxymoron perhaps? Well Le Labo have taken the innocent essence of rose and sexed it up with cumin and vetiver and the result is fabulous!

Although several reviewers have found the cumin note a little off putting, I love this sweaty twist because it keeps the rose deep and sultry without the cliched addition of oud.

As a female, I would happily wear this anytime but agree with others that it would be seriously dangerous on a man!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Tried out my precious little sample today, sent to me and recommended by Yamba1, my scent sister! Surprised that it's marketed "for men", although I do agree a man would smell marvellous wearing this. The cumin note adds a nice hint of "sweaty armpit" smell, which I find appealing. This is not your run-of-the-mill well behaved rose, it's dirty, sexy, and much nicer IMO than a bland but pretty linear rose. The price is horrendous, but a little certainly goes a long way. One drop lasted over 7 hours on me. Thanks Y1!

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

I have been so ambivalent about my cologne addiction lately. Then the sample FINALLY came to me. Very nice. I have to say that there is a direct parallel between this and Royal Oud. There is more rose here and the dry down is spicier and more vivacious but this is nice. The only problem is that if I am going to smell LIKE Royal Oud for the price I would rather BUY Royal Oud. This is amazing stuff though.

Special shout out to L'amoureux for staying on me to try this.

Chimp
Chimp

Rose 31 starts out with a very prominent and dominant rose note and on the dry down the rose disappears leaving an strong incense note with a dark woody-musk smell which is a very elegant kind of smell on a man, the longevity is great.

p.m.a.
p.m.a.

For me this would be an outstanding fragrance if only they would dial down the cumin.

L'amoureux
L'amoureux

My favourite fragrance; I get compliments everytime! You gotta order a sample atleast, especially if you like rose; this is the epitome of a rose dominant fragrance. Everytime I wear this the same girl compliments me, she hasn't said anything about anything else I wear. Check it outttt

Anyone who's expecting a bold and deep rose in the same vein of C&S No.88 should be prepared for a big disappointed. Instead if you're up for a woody/incensey/peppery composition enriched by a transparent rose note, this is a fantastic fragrance to check out.

Aldehydes get the party started immediately joined by a massive (but never overdone) dose of cedarwood and some frankincense. A transparent peppery rose floats around adding refinements and character. The fragrance slowly turns into an amazing, slightly powdery, woody/spicy drydonw that lasts for ages (this is the best part IMO even if the huge amount of Iso E Super may result off-putting to someone).

Overall, Rose 31 is more of a woody fragrance than a rose one and brings to mind of many Duchafour's compositions (Paestum Rose above all) for its transparency, radiance and general style. It could have been easily included in the Comme Des Garcons Series 2 Red as Cedar with the only difference that it would have costed 1/3 the price.

Good.

Rating: 7.5/10

Migotka
Migotka

My expectations were almost as high as the price of this scent. Unfortunately, they did not really get fulfilled, although I am very fond of it.

Rose 31 got me interested when I saw a youtube review of it, and I thought that it might be something right up my alley- rose and spices and vetyver, what more from life can one want?

Rose here is spicy and a bit animalistic, rough, not a fresh-from-the-garden one. I like the darkness here, and the texture. There is something really interesting about it- the quiet woods, the dirty rose.

One thing I wish for was a bigger sillage and longevity. They are all right I guess, but I would expect more. Also, I just noticed it is a fragrance for men- for me it is unisex and definitely appropriate for women!

JackWest
JackWest

Nice scent but on me does not project or last. Why spend money on a scent that can not perform when there are others in this genre that can do the task? I would say this is a try.

axa5780
axa5780

this $H!T is sexy as hell! if you have the money, buy it.

It really smells like there is castoreum and a touch of oud in here, though not listed in the note pyramid. There is quite a bit of wood here, and the rose is noticeable but definitely "plays second fiddle" to the woody qualities (and the animalic quality too). I don't get coconut and the amber must be very minimal. Think of Azzaro's Visit (men's), with some spice removed and a little rose added. Not bad at all but I wouldn't want to spend more than around $20 for 50 ml of it, to be honest.

jcastano
jcastano

Although I absolutely do not enjoy this fragrance, I need to give credit where credit is due. Immediately, the rose is detectable upon the initial spray/splash of the top notes and for me, that's all I detect. It's a very subdued yet masculine rose that exudes something very sensual but as the basenotes appear, that all changes. One thing, out of all the rose scents that I've encountered, this one has to be the most natural but when the cedar arrives, it ruins the whole aura of the scent. The cedar is too overpowering/cloying and masks everything the rose is trying to present. The two blended extremes almost seem to be competing with one another only the cedar always has the upper-hand.

It's just wasn't my type of scent at all but as I said before, I can appreciate the unique blend of cedar and rose and how the two components come together to create something so different and so natural. I'd say that this scent is perfect for someone 40 and up. Maybe if Le Labo ever decides to make a scent that is rose and only rose, I'll invest in it, but I'll save this one for a cedar lover.

calyx93
calyx93

A very sexy, slightly sweaty rose - the cumin and a small touch of oud adds that erotic "just worked out" vibe to the musky rose. Initially very strong, but settles down to an earthy, salty, spicy skin scent that never fails to garner positive comments and inquiries.

VERY unisex - actually seems to lean towards the masculine IMO. I like to wear this on the neck, chest, inner elbows and behind the knee with two spritzes of Czech & Speake's Dark Rose on my shoulders. The oud, saffron, sandalwood and soapier rose gives a richer and synergistic headspace combined with the Rose 31.

Magnificent and very hot.

Pamplelune
Pamplelune

Le Labo Rose reminds me of Alexander McQueen's Kingdom (which I adore), but much, much quieter and more refined. On me, it has low-medium sillage, and I don't amplify scents very well. Somewhere in the drydown I get a burst of citrus, like bergamot or something. Which I know is not listed in the official notes!

chel
chel

I received my 2 samples of rose 31 a few days ago. When I first sprayed it on my arm, it smelled quite nice, although I had very high expectations of it. But a few minutes in, the rose really started to blossom nicely. It's a very fresh yet dark, subtle yet intriguing rose perfectly accompanied by some dark wood.

I don't seem to have a problem with the cumin, it's really not that noticeable.

After a while the rose stays in perfect condition, while it starts giving of some spicy/incensy vibe. Very nice!

My 50ml bottle has been ordered!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A pleasant enough rose fragrance, but it's hard to tell as the fragrance is so faint on me and doesn't last very long.

oshunshawo
oshunshawo

What happened to my Rose 31! I bought this because of it's dark rose quality, strong sillage and longevity. One of my favorites....suddenly the sillage and longevity are disappearing!

alaaddin777
alaaddin777

not intense and very close to skin.
i think it is half perfume , incomplete.
Too weak.there is nothing for smell.

Just met a guy who wore this Le Labo and daaamn! It smelled sexy and sophisticated on him. It's spiced rosey but not feminine at all. The closest thing I could think of would be YSL L'Homme or GF Ferre (just the way it feels), but these are still no match. Well, I spent way too much time sniffing this guy because I was totally hypnotized by Rose 31. So later I looked it up to see where I could buy, and HOLY SMOKE! $200 a bottle! (-_-)! I almost fell off a chair and almost fainted.

Now I am thinking... it looks like I am gonna have to butter this guy up, so maybe I could just borrow it instead coz I am not ready to spend $200!

Le Labo is fast becoming one of my favourite niche fragrance houses. I am already a huge fan of Oud 27, so while I was on a massive rose search, I decided to give Rose 31 a try.

I tested this fragrance knowing full well that it was a male fragrance. Many female celebrities however, delight in wearing Rose 31, so I was game enough to spray it liberally on my skin.

What an interesting take on rose. It is neither too floral nor too masculine. Rose is actually the most subtle note in this composition, with the woods, spices and earthy notes playing for dominance.

Somewhat animalic in its nature, this is dirty, raw rose. The best description I can give is that of a delicate rose mushed into the ground, smoothered in mud, set on fire and drizzled with resins and spices.

Dark, but light-hearted at the same time, Rose 31 is a little bit like Tauer's Incense Rose, but not so smokey. The scent itself, despite its boldness, never becomes too overpowering. I do believe that this fragrance would work well as both a casual and formal scent.

Well, after testing this fragrance I would not categorise it as a strict rose soliflore, nor would I say it is for men only. Surprisingly, rose haters would probably really enjoy Le Labo's Rose 31.

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

Smelling that little treasure I get the picture of frosen roses under a crystal stream in the depths of a mountain.It's spicy strong rose perfume.I am also smelling iris although it isn't written in the notes.

sofiii
sofiii

Rose 31 is a surprisingly dirty and sexy rose in its sophiscated robe.

It starts with a lot of dusty/dirty/woody notes with fresh rose. Soon it turns even woodier. This makes me think about dry leaves, and barks on slighly moist ground in a grey autumn day. It is really comfy.

Then it dries down to something a little bit musky, with a semi-leather sensation. It's like flipping through an old leather-covered book.

Quite an interesting and grown-up scent.

Wafa
Wafa

I've just bought 50ml for 130 bucks .. am so in love with this scent ,warm rich expensive but worth it .

Dixie
Dixie

This is a gorgeous rose scent and I would love to smell it on a man! However, I love to wear it because it is just so amazing! It is easily a unisex scent.

9154mf
9154mf

Wow, this is like a fresh green spicy peppery rose. I normally hate rose fragrances so this takes me by surprise. It's quite haunting. It's a bit dark and dirty, certianly not "girly" sweet rose but I still don't know if many guys would wear this. I like it on me! The pepper, and perhaps the cedar, is quite prominent at the start, and all throughout the rose is always there but never overpowering all the other notes. They all work in perfect harmony. It's an incensey rose scent too, I must add. I think the oud or something in the background is giving it a smoking quality. mmmm lovely. It's like a rose-infusion. Might have to get me a little bottle of this. I recommend you get a sample.

veruska
veruska

i really like the opening notes on Rose 31. The way that rose gets a masculine kick from a warm anisic spice that smells a bit like freshmade bread.But as it dries on skin it becomes more earthy and unfortunately more common.The coconut in the end make things even more complicated. For the price and the difficulty for obtaining them it doesn't delever much.

Aiona
Aiona

I just have a little sample of this stuff -- a generous gift from a fellow sniff-addict. I didn't know how expensive it was. When I first tried it, all I knew was that I was prepared to dislike it. I typically don't like roses. I have a bottle of "Tea Rose" and can't stand it. But this one. . . I can definitely smell the roses, well through the top notes and into the heart. However, it's not just rose. There's cedar in it, and some incense-like smell (similar to what I get out of John Varvatos). It's also infinitely feminine, and I was surprised to find out that it's marketed for men. I was also surprised to find out it costs a freaking $52 for 15 mL. Yikes! But, it is a lovely scent, and if I had the bucks, I'd buy it for myself.

Rose 31 by Le Labo 4.20 out of 5 based on 424 ratings and 69 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Le Labo Rose 31 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Le Labo Rose 31, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rose 31 by Le Labo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rose 31 by Le Labo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.