Designers » L » Woody « Groups

Vetyver 46 Le Labo for women and men

Vetyver 46 Le Labo for women and men
dislike

smoky

Vetyver 46 by Le Labo is a Woody fragrance for women and men. Vetyver 46 was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Mark Buxton. The fragrance features labdanum, tahitian vetiver, pepper, guaiac wood, cedar, olibanum, amber, bergamot, vanilla and cloves.

Labdanum Tahitian Vetiver Pepper Guaiac Wood Cedar Olibanum Amber Bergamot Vanilla Cloves

Comme des Garcons 2 Man
Fortis
Bel Ami Vetiver

Vetyver 46 Fragrance Reviews

landshark321
landshark321

One of the darker vetiver offerings I've tried as of late, Le Labo Vetiver 46 is a smoky, earthy, semi-spicy, semi-green mixture of sorts that leans cold weather by nature of the pepper, clove, and labdanum but is still has fresh green elements in the bergamot, and of course the vetiver itself. In series of Le Labo's core fragrances that revolve around the development about one note, Vetiver 46 has been the most surprising in that more seems to be packed on top of the key note than in, say, Bergamote 22 or Rose 31. Vetiver 46 in character seems a little more independent, as well, like Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors, as the mixture of notes creates an incense vibe. I'm inclined to say that this has primarily cold weather day usage, as it doesn't seem buttoned-up enough for nighttime or formal wear, but doesn't seem appropriate for the summer. Longevity and projection fall in the middle of the house, slightly disappointing for an EDP of its cost. I like it, but certainly not as much as some of the house's other options.

6 out of 10

chyprespace
chyprespace

I MUCH prefer the discontinued Gucci pour homme to Le Labo Vetyver 46. It is less smoky and incensy and woody and much sweeter to me. Lacks depth.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

Not your typical vetiver, but I like it. Might be more aptly named Incense 46. I get way more olibanum than vetiver with just enough guaiac to bind it together. I prefer to wear this in the fall and winter months, while most other vetivers I like are for spring and summer.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - dark, smokey vetiver oil.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the colder months, day or night.

Projection - I did get noticed, it garners compliments.

Longevity - I get 24hrs consistently.

#9

NicheMaster29
NicheMaster29

I'd rather have Gucci pour homme one, they are to similar gut Gucci seems to last longer and defiantly project harder. It does also seem similar to CDG2man , but that fragrance is weaker than them all on me, it just doesn't work. This is nice, but my only fav is santal 33 so far, but I still need to smell rose 31.
I was expecting a little more to be honest. Nice , defiantly a try, but I don't think I will buy after the decant I have is finished
Scent 8/10
Projection 6/10
Longevity 7/10
Overall 7/10 not to bad

harlemmal
harlemmal

Is it me or does it smell like weed? I get the vetiver but I can get pass the underlying scent of weed.

siomes
siomes

I purchased a 15ml bottle of this and am seriously regretting not getting a full bottle.this fragrance screams winter and has the most gorgeous vetyver smell i have ever smelled.its very strong and lasts a long time which is saying something for a Le Labo fragrance which most them dont last long on the skin but i like this so much that i wouldn't mind it being even stronger.its the perfect fragrance to wear for going for winter walks at Dusk.this is my favourite Le Labo purfume by far.

sdcga161
sdcga161

Smoke in a bottle, pure and simple. I love Le Labo fragrances, especially Berganote 22, which I consider to be my definitive warm weather fragrance. Vetiver 46, though...If you're considering a blind buy, PLEASE reconsider and sample first. I don't find even a trace of vetiver or any other light, fresh note. This is a smooth, smoky cool weather scent. I simply can't imagine the confusion the name must generate. This is not a bad scent by any means, but a light vetiver it most certainly is not.

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

Gorgeous smoky damp wood with a slight tang of bergamot. If you like Encre Noire but find it too inky or woody this is the one for you. Good stuff.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

If a hypothetical “Gucci pour Homme Vetiver” from 2003 existed, it would have smelled exactly like this. Vetiver by Le Labo is literally Gucci pour Homme I (I get this one closer than the CdG) with all its distinctive incense-cedar-pepper structure, just topped with (good) vetiver. A proper “flanker”. Surely nice overall, with also a remarkable persistence, but really too derivative for me.

deadidol
deadidol

The 2Man similarities are unavoidable, and if you know 2Man, that’s pretty much what you get with Vetiver 46. Needless to say, Vetiver 46 is excellent in all the ways that 2Man is excellent. Yet there are some (very subtle) differences.

For one thing, V46 darker and heavier than 2Man so the aldehydes don’t come through quite as much. You still get the leathery, smoky, woods and the “snuffed candle” (aldehyde c11-enic), but V46 has a more charred feel in general than 2Man. That adds interest and texture, but I find 2Man’s strength to be that you can throw it on without thinking twice. With this, it does seem a touch more oppressive and gloomy, so it loses some versatility points there. As with 2Man, the vetiver is present but it’s incidental, tucked away as a minor component more than anything. So, if you want a straight up vetiver, look elsewhere, and if you already own 2Man, this would be completely redundant. V46 is best suited for those who enjoy 2Man but want a little more oomph behind it and don't mind paying quite a bit more money in the process.

GMK
GMK

The most dense and dark vetiver I ever confronted with, never thought a vetiver scent could be so smoky and mysterious like this , its derived from pure vetiver oil which is called 'Khus' in Pakistan and India. I use to wear the Khus oil the dark green liquid which lasts for ages, Vetyver 46 is very much the same with the mysterious smoky woody notes of Olibanum and Labdanum and the background sweetness of Ambre. I absolutely dont get any citrus / floral trails.

If compared to Encre Noir in terms of Darkness and Mystery , the only thing may be found dark in Encre Noir would be its Black Bottle.

Redbeard
Redbeard

As interesting as this stuff is, I didn't really find it to be very vetiver-prominent. It opens with a really intriguing mixture of spices: sweet and very sharp, reminiscent of incense. The sharpness slowly beomes muted, leaving what to me is a just slightly "greened-up" version of a standard incense...basically Avignon, which unfortunately has a bit of a cloying edge to me. This edge fades away somewhat into the base, though, leaving some sweet exotic woods behind, of which vetiver is a part, but certainly not any more than you'd find in the base of any other woody scent. Frankincense also reveals itself rather late into the base notes, giving a creaminess to the wood. Personally, since I expected vetiver, and since I already have sample vials of CdG 2 Man, Sequoia, and their whole incence series, I nearly dismissed LLV46 as a waste of time, but it does smell good. I doubt that I'll ever prefer sharp, incensey wood over regular old sweet, creamy wood, but this frag succeeds somewhat in splitting the difference.

Lana148
Lana148

Rich, smoky vetiver.

Exotic, aromatic, handsome, delicious, cozy, it is beautifully composed and blended. Very harmonious!

Perfection!!!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Vetiver and frankincense. Calming, comforting and meditative. Woody, dry and quietly strong, and more on the masculine side of the unisex scale.

I love the smoky, tarry aspect of guaiac which brings richness to the woods while cedar lends dry air. Bergamot and very subtle spice help this wood radiate with soft tenacity. Labdanum and amber add mystery and warmth.

Seemingly simple yet beautifully balanced and comforting, Vetyver 46 brings me to a place of solace and strength. This versatile boyfriend's chunky cable-knit sweater-like fragrance goes straight to the top of my want list.

estewart51
estewart51

In my eyes this is a completely masculine fragrance. This actually reminds me of how my grandfather smells. The comparisons to CDG2MAN are valid but Vetiver 46 is MUCH cleaner and a little less intense in the opening. 2MAN eventually gave me a headache from the incense and leather fighting each other. Vetiver 46 is surprisingly sweet as well.

This is wearable and definitely niche so try before you buy.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a tiny decant. Frankincense and vetiver with a touch of black pepper. Frankincense in this reminds of the one in Incense Extreme by Tauer. Quality frankincense there. It has moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

Comparisons to Comme des Garcon 2 Man are valid but I think Vetiver 46 has a likeness close to Encre noire also. It's less subtle than encre noire and more spiced like 2 Man, I loved the peppery, smokey, woody frankincense opening. The vetiver is present and earthy, clean and enjoyable but I found the smoke a little more intrusive for the first hour or so than the more elegant Encre Noire. When it's dried down it takes on a character of it's own and is less like anything else but just a pleasant woody scent.
Again I have to say Le Labo are building accords around certain notes trying to create interesting perfume and largely failing for me, the likes of Comme des garcon as an example do a better job. I need to reserve judgement on the house until I've tried more but that's 5 now and not one standout fragrance amongst them.
Don't get me wrong this is right up my street and smells good but I prefer the two I've likened Vetiver 46 to and if I'm feeling in a melancholic, cloudy mood I will rock them instead.
I don't want it however, I'd never discourage anyone from getting this fragrance... its good.

Kelle
Kelle

The bit that smells like an acrid compost heap ruined this for me.

Big Beak
Big Beak

Just to add something other than what other reviewers have described, I prefer this over the very similar yet cheaper CdG 2 MAN.

The $50 difference is worth it for me because of the much better longevity and projection. Whereas 2 MAN gives me no sillage, Vetiver 46 does moderately. I recommend trying their samples both on one arm each.

I already have two other vetivers for the warmer months. This Le Labo is like vetiver for the winter because of the spices and woods.

globalscene

the cdg effect is there but surely didn't last much , maybe still there in the background,,,..prominent bergamot after the initial drydown, clean and crisp.

globalscene

the rolls royce of vetiver

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous leathery, smoking woods scent. It has nothing to do with a smoky BBQ type of smell, think of roasting posh woods emnating the most glorious, almost incense type of smoke. The smokiness in this must come from the guaiac wood and the earthiness from the vetivier. Vanilla lends an ever so slightly sweet tinge to the composition but only a dab. I can see that ladies who like feminine scents will possibly not warm towards this, to me it is very much unisex. I could well imagine Katharine Hepburn wearing this in "Woman of the Year". I think it's wonderful and for anyone wanting a respite from the day's toil or trouble. SnS was transported to Tibet and ladykarl to a sanctuary. I agree with both of them. Spray this on and take a deep breath, it's almost purifying!My first Le Labo purchase but definitely not my last.

Bbjr
Bbjr

This is absolutely a dead ringer for CDG2Man. Frederic Malle Vetiver is the best Vetiver scent by far. I don't really detect any Vetiver in this stuff. I like the scent but its not Vetiver. Definitely woody and spicy.

ladykarl
ladykarl

WOW!!
pow
This is like entering an early nineteen hundreds game room with the smartest most interesting men discussing the railroad and how to make the future a more dynamic place.

Or maybe its more of the sanctuary. The place where the people go when they need to feel safe and alive.

This scent is much less masculine that when i first smelled it.
In fact it softens to a very light ambiguous scent. maybe buttery floral
still a great unisex fragrance

I LOVE THIS!!

totally unexpectedly

I remember going into le labo when it first opened on elizabeth street years ago and not really liking the smells pushing them off as strong and offensive. But i was much younger then and so were they. I have not gone back int until now and am so glad and blown away but the incredible complex smells that dont give me a headache!

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

My fragrance knowledge is just not sophisticated enough to describe the smell. It does immediately smell very much like smoky/incense (not the cheap stuff)/and like herbs. The drydown blends so many wonderful elements together. Truly eloquent and deep.

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Wonderful, grey, wet, cloudy day in a bottle. This is smooth, classy vetiver like it should be done. Just a hint of wood, a touch of palo santo (guaiac) and a healthy shot of vetiver. What else is in there? I really can't tell - or maybe I don't care. It's just fantastic. I'm glad it's so expensive - I won't have to share with so many others.

This is what Tom Ford Grey Vetiver should have been, what I wanted it to be, what everyone wished it could have been. This needs a well-dressed man to pull it off - no kids here, no weekend casual fragrance for jeans and a band-tee and adidas. This is for men and women who have some class and style.

...and, BTW, smells very little like CDG2MAN. Don't compare to your memory of a scent. Do a side-by-side if you want to compare fragrances.

AveParfum

Now that I own Vetyver 46, I realized that it seems so incredibly familiar. It reminds me of my childhood of going to church and smelling that awful, bitter incense that the priest uses. BUT Vetyver 46 totally lacks any hint of bitterness. No wonder I feel so pensive any time I wear it.

As it dries down, a vanilla-like scent creeps in, but the perfume remains completely unisex. I also detect just a touch of fragrant campfire smoke.

It seems like the perfect winter perfume, as it smells like the woody smoke from the fireplace.

Deep down into the drydown is when I can smell clove. This stage reminds me of the times I've worn Opium and woke up the next morning with the scent lingering on my skin.

I would not describe Vetyver 46 as linear, for each time I wear it, I detect something new.

Scentrist
Scentrist

I'd thought I'd commented on this fragrance already, so I was surprised I'd not.

I first smelled this some time ago, and it left me very awestruck. This is vetiver?!?

This is absolutely not a typical vetiver fragrance. While it’s there, it’s also augmented by incenses, Guiac, cedar, pepper, and labdanum. It defies that traditional ‘green’ association, instead replacing it with a much different vision of what can be done around the Tahitian Vetiver chosen. The experience is not so “meadowy’ as it is a view of what might be done with various woods, incenses, spices, and other elements to create a much warmer focus. Where another vetiver would come across as very fresh, albeit somewhat non-descript from other formulations, Vetiver 46 seems counter-intuitive. The result is a much deeper interpretation, unique, very natural and exceptionally captivating.

Intriguing! V46 has a varied yet linear focus throughout, drawing gradually toward deeper notes as it reaches toward the base. Projection is moderate, longevity is excellent, and the concentration manages to avoid being a suffocating experience despite the longevity and sillage. It's stronger, it's warmer, it's not everyone else's uninspired take on vetiver. Thank God! I would very highly recommend this, especially if you want to turn your perception of this normally "green" note on its head.

AveParfum

I was shocked by the beauty of Vetyver 46. It started out awfully bitter and peppery. I should know by now never to judge a perfume by the first spritz, but I was certain this would not grow on me. Imagine my surprise when I sniffed my wrist 10 minutes later and began to smell incense! It was mesmerizing, possibly even transcendental. It took me to a Tibetan mountaintop where I watched the sun rise behind a temple as the smoke of burning incense drifted into the open air. Ten more beautiful minutes passed, and I began to detect vanilla and a gorgeous, rich, labdanum note. For lovers of smoky, woody, resinous incense, this is your perfume!!!

Mr.Buxton enters the Comme Des Garcons headquarter bringing a case containing a "prototype" of CDG2MAN. He has a meeting with the art directors at the marketing department. He sits at the round table, opens the case and shows the guys his work.

After testing many microvariations of the same composition they all agree that the best is the one labelled as "No Vetiver". A guy stands up, smell the paperstrip and goes:

- this is almost perfect and we would like to keep the finished product as close as possible to this sample but what about turning the general campfire vibe into something more waxy? I'd like CDG2MAN to have a waxy feel to it, like a burning candle...I love the church-y incense and woody quality we got here but why not to add some vetiver to "No Vetiver"? and what about throwing in a tad of leather as well?

This is perfectly fine with Mr.Buxton who only has a small request:

- I worked many months on "No Vetiver", do you guys mind if I give the original formula you just dismissed to Le Labo? They just asked me for a vetiver based composition...

No objections

--------------------------

Vetiver 46 smells great, but be aware that you can have CDG2MAN (which is even better) at 1/3 the price.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

It is like a campfire ,like dry leaves burning.This is definitely autumn perfume, very warm and hugging. I Like it.
Actually I would love to have it!

Papi
Papi

Good stuff! much better than Creed's Vetiver original, well it's much stronger and rough, not as fresh/modern as Creed's one.

Almost wet in my pants ;-)

Ohh, only suit please.

11/10 !

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This is a real treasure, though I think I prefer this on my boyfriend than on me. Initially it's a full throttle vetiver, but after a while the dry down becomes distinctly elegant, when the vanilla and amber notes take the edge off the woodiness. This is longlasting and very warming, so I think is better suited to autumn and winter. Lovely!

Vetiver as a note has its ups and downs with me. Sometimes I'm intrigued by the way it smells, other times, I find it too dry and a little bitter. Vetyver 46 has managed to encompass every aspect of what I consider perfection in a fragrance.

This scent is surprisingly fresh, a little damp, but also smokey. The pepper adds to its invigorating punch, however the vetiver, cedar and guaiac woods are what keeps this fragrance rich, masculine and exotic.

The typical Le Labo incense accord is also found in Vetyver 46, however its done in such a way that you don't feel like a walking temple. There is only the subtlest hint of sweetness in this fragrance, found in the form of powder towards the drydown.

To be honest, Vetyver 46 isn't a true representation of vetiver itself, it's more of a spiced woods and incense fragrance. It tries to incorporate the qualities of vetiver, however it misses the point.

Because this fragrance isn't so dry, green and grassy, it's possibly the reason why I enjoyed this so much. Although I will agree with its masculine nature, I'll say that it is wearable for women too.

The lasting power and sillage are extraordinarily good, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Le Labo. Once again Le Labo has presented a fragrance that isn't exactly what is listed on the bottle, but have got away with it anyway.