Designers » L » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Tweed Lentheric for women

Tweed Lentheric for women
dislike

Tweed has top notes of bergamot, cinnamon and geranium. Middle notes of ylang-ylang, jasmine, lavender and orange flower. Dry Down notes of oakmoss, patchouli, sandalwood, benzoin, vanilla and vetiver.

Tweed is a sensuous woody floral fragrance with an emphasis on a dark, captivating earthy-woody mystique, the floral notes add an intoxicating feminine touch. There is a distinct resinous quality about Tweed making it an English icon in perfumery through the years. Even with all its rich depth and mysteriousness, Tweed is not too heavy or overbearing. The oriental base is very alluring; not sweet nor soft - more of a feeling of perfect balance of natural essences.

Described by Maryel Tweed was launched in 1933.

Bergamot Cinnamon Geranium

Tweed

Tweed Fragrance Reviews

Scentmad
Scentmad

Love it. It reminds me of my mum who wore this daily for work during the 1970's. I have a couple of bottles even though she moved on to far more pricy frags later in her life this is the one perfume that completely transports me back to my childhood. I also had no idea it was launched in 1933. Impressive.

Militza
Militza

Imagine Sunday morning and an Irish Catholic old maid getting ready for mass in Latin. Imagine a woman who could have, or should have been a nun for her spartan life she lived humbly. Now imagine same woman dotting on a splash of Tweed before going to mass. She transforms for a moment from a working class lass to a lady getting ready for the 11:00 service.
First the make up, and then the Tweed which she swirls over and tells everyone she is wearing. Then Christmas comes and her sisters get a bottle from her. And this was life in the 1950's from a child's eye. And when I was good, I sat on the bed to watch her matte the cake mascara and powder to her face, and I got to enjoy a drop for church too. It had a wonderful scent that I recall; it was never too strong and it wore well on skin and in summer or winter clothes. When I became a teen, the same aunt gave me a bottle. I wish it would return as it was.

professorlilith

Update: I've now worn this for a couple of days. I should point out now that the heart notes smell a bit like fresh (human) sweat for a half an hour. In the later dry down I find the lavender, sandalwood and (less, but it's there) patchouli. All three still seem to be "under" a damp forest floor. Longevity is about 6-8 hours; projection is maybe a foot or two away from the body. On layering, which I love to do:--I haven't mixed this with much yet. I've found my Lavonde Ombree overpowers it with lavender, drowning out the green and woody elements, but it's nice with Bulgari Omnia (makes the sandalwood project more) and L'Occitane Vetyver (makes the green more prominent). These two are my "go-to" layering scents, and I was kind of surprised a scent as complex as Tweed worked with them, but it does. I'm tempted to try it with Phoenicia Far NWest, but not until I've enjoyed Far NWest on it's own for a while.

professorlilith

First impressions after wearing it for about 5 hours. I do find this an old fashioned, or perhaps I should say "classic" scent; it's the kind of thing I would expect on Katherine Hepburn or Lauren Bacall. I'm pretty sure my grandmother wore it, and it has something in common with Shalimar during the dry down. I agree with Jayne58 that and missk that it has an overall impression of woody, dust, and autumn leaves. The first thing to hit my nose clearly after it hits my skin is the vetiver, which then dissipates rapidly to be replaced by slightly acrid greens, soap, and woods. By the second hour I can smell the the lavender, sandalwood, and patchouli mingling underneath the forest floor. Definitely worth a sniff if you want something that isn't floral, if you're looking for a unisex, or if you're a man looking for an entry to women's scents. Older people will probably make the same association to it as something they've smelled on women in the past, but there's nothing in it that seems particularly feminine or masculine to me.

I notice some posters have remarked on the new formulation not smelling like the old. Mine smells very familiar. Looking at the bottle and the seller's e-bay site, my bottle seems to be from an earlier formulation than the current, so maybe it's the original formulation or an earlier one, maybe from the 70's? There's no atomizer, which a lot of EDT bottles didn't have back then, and the bottle is shaped sort of like a curved skyscraper, with a wider base and a suggestion of columns across the back.

motherbird247

Ok, now that threw my two cents in on Tweed, I was always curious about the other scents from Lentheric. Several of them were presented in gorgeous cut glass bottles on ebay from time to time, and since the old Tweed was so great, I figured they may be long lost jewels also. Not wanting to spend a lot, I did pick up one of Lentheric's sample sets of cologne, sealed in cellophane. Judging by the Tweed which was bright and clear, figured not to much light damage. Now keep in mind I am still in the sandbox when it comes to perfumery but here's a novices take.
Miracle-had high hopes for this one. Seems the most commonly available after Tweed. The gorgeous deco bottle the original perfume came in is worth collecting itself. Not sure but I think it and Dark Brilliance were Baccarat? The initial feel is a very light floral, nothing heavy. It dried down to a sweeter, heavier scent that I don't care for. It seemed there was nothing to balance it out, or it was very heavy on vanilla which is not my fav unless it just lurks. The perfume may be a heaven of floral, but not the cologne.
Dark Brilliance-another cut glass bottle to die for. If these scents had been great I would have splurged on the original perfumes in there bottles. This was more interesting. Sweeter. An interesting sweet, as tho it was teasing you that "yes, I was great in my day". I kept sniffing because I'd catch a wiff of something I liked but couldn't place it. Seemed like a hint of cinnamon of all things. If only it stopped there. It dried down to a skanky mess. Some civet of animal extract there? Well, anyway it died and draped itself on my arm.
Shanghai-Again, this whispered that it could have been great at one time. Lighter and spicier, but a 40's version of the orient, a lets not go there and say we did version. But-arg-the dry down. Pure old wet diaper, and I've changed enough to know. These wrists are not delving into that diaper pail again.
So disappointing that these were not anything great at all, but again the perfume may be so much better. If you collect bottles, it may be worth snagging a sealed boxed version and you may get two treasures in one.

motherbird247

Tweed was my mothers favorite scent in the late 40's & 50's when perfumes tended to be softer and flowery-unless you were THAT type of woman, which it seems no one wanted to be. She preferred crisp-like what you would imagine Katharine Hepburn wore. She smelled distinctive and divine, like an English countryside wrapped in a Persian lamb coat. Having said that, there is a world of difference in the Lentheric Tweed and those that came after. The original keeps the freshness that made it a classic, whereas the newer ones muddle themselves into a sweet powder blahness. Now that I am of the age to be wrapped in the Persian lamb, I finally understand the appreciation the last generation had for quality. Find the original, or if you like the new version, great, but it is not TWEED.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I have a big ol' bottle of Lentheric Tweed cologne, a recent eBay score. It is an odd one to me. It goes on as men's cologne, and stays there for about an hour. I don't mind, but I wasn't really expecting that masculine from the description here. It comes into something really grand the second hour and then starts fading. Not unexpected for a cologne, although it does remain a skin scent for quite a while.

I actually thought of wet wool in the intial stage, which isn't really appealing, but then it is in a way. I don't think it was because I was thinking of the name, it was after that I thought "oh yeah, Tweed, duh." Also, I get smoky or what is akin to it to me. I guess that is the geranium because I have it with another scent that has geranium. I didn't like this at first, but I've found myself thinking about it and looking forward to wearing it again, which I did today. It is not boring, it is not run of the mill, it may or may not be dated. I am no judge of that as I love old fashioned scents.

S.Earl Statler
S.Earl Statler

It’s strange how some scents can stir your heart. Mom’s favorite perfume was Tweed and we always gave her a bottle for her birthday. Mom started wearing it in 1935. She passed away at 82 in my arms in 2002 from Alzheimer’s sleeping peacefully smelling of Tweed. When I smell it now it plucks my heartstrings of days long past. Thanks for the memories.

Jayne58
Jayne58

I remember Tweed from my childhood as that strange perfume that my aunt used to wear. When I saw a tiny bottle of vintage parfum for sale on EBay, I was struck down in a fit of nostalgia and thought, hey why not.

Wow, it is amazing and still weird all these years later - leathery and a bit soapy, pretty floral top notes juxtaposed with a woody, mossy base (someone described it as dusty and that is such a good way to put it). The perfume is still in great condition and I'm bowled over by how good it is! They knew a thing or two, did our aunties.

takeasniff
takeasniff

I just got this another one of my husbands missadventures in the perfume store. I really don't think he knew what it was. I sprayed it and thought Oh my goodness but as it settled it is the same type of fragrance as Ralph Lauren's Safari. It is an outdoors smell. It literally smells warm and woody but a little bit of soap and powder which makes it smell clean and not turn sour and musty. I like it and I wear only a little squirt because it is quite strong if sprayed too hard. It lasts for a long time too. It is hard to get. I know when I was very young, Yardley used to own it but they seem to have dissowned it now for some reason? I am not sure if it is discontinued.

There is another perfume called Panache which yardley used to market but I think Fine fragrances owns that now and it smells similar. My Mother in law had that and I asked her what smelled so nice and she said Panache so I got a bottle. It is not on this website but it is easy to get and it is cheap to buy. These perfumes are similar to Yardley Lace range.

Beautiful13
Beautiful13

This Tweed Perfume is very nice

jasmasid
jasmasid

The vintage version of Tweed is really something very special. I don't know the new one but the original is certainly unique and smells like nothing else. A great fragrant woody for autumn/winter -- reminiscent of English country houses and the smell of leather saddles.

Lassie
Lassie

Unusual, bracing, not a fruit or a flower or a wad of cotton candy note in it. It's hard to describe, but I love it just because it's so unique in the world of perfumes. I have a vintage bottle of cologne and I wear it in the heat of summer when anything sweet and trendy would just gag me. Somehow, it gives me confidence! (Silly thing to say about perfume...) I never really knew what went into this scent till I came here because information on old retro Tweed is so scarce, I always noticed lavendar and maybe patchouli - I was right!

cisco
cisco

I just received my vintage bottle. I find it a wonderful woody scent perfect for Fall. The sillage is average but the longevity is good.I don't think it smells dirty, geriatric, or like the scent of moth balls. I sincerely wish certain reviewers would find other descriptions more PC than "old lady" and "over 75". Do they think that all seniors have horrible taste? Bad taste has nothing to do with age. It can afflict any age... shockingly, even the so called hip young.

What confuses me is Tweed is under three perfume houses:

Lentheric
Yardley
Fine Fragrances and Cosmetics

I know Lentheric is now under Fine Fragrance and Cosmetics but where does Yardley come into this picture? I just ordered a large bottle from an English site on eBay. I also ordered a large bottle of Yardley English Lavendar EDT from the same dealer. Postage is steep, but the prices were most reasonable.

perfumegirl
perfumegirl

im reviewing this perfume purely because i remember my mum and my grandmother wearing this perfume and its strange because tweed is woody and musk which is the type of perfumes that i prefer i wonder if it is because you remember certain perfume smells ?
anyway i wouldnt wear this as i think its better worn by the slightly more mature lady and what i mean by that it doesnt represent a young perfume ,,but yes always worn by mum and nan so i remember this being given to them as gifts and that at christmas !

guest_Becky
guest_Becky

The Tweed today is not the marvelous
fragrance of 1933. I'd give anything is Lentheric unearthed their original recipe. It's so sad that it's gone. I bought reformed Tweed, but it's not Tweed. 10/14/10

AnnMarie
AnnMarie

panache it tramp didn't these belong to
this fragrance house?

milena
milena

Bought this three weeks ago.It is woodsy and musty a very outdoorsy smell. I love it but it is not the same as it was thirty years ago.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I tried this oft overlooked and readily available fragrance and it's actually a really classic, very English smell. It is classy, warm and not so strong that it feels intrusive. It does have a slight dustiness to it, but then I like that- it gives it 'atmosphere' somehow. A library, an autumn woodland, the corridors of a stately home; woody and sensual. Don't know if I'd buy it as I find similarities in my La Perla and Femme which I also love.

oliver6627
oliver6627

I was given the pure perfume in a slender silver tube with a fine glass wand on my twenty first birthday in 1969. It felt ice cold on my skin and smelled clean, beautiful, bright and totally unique. I have carried the scent in my head for the past forty years and never found anything to equal it. The Tweed you can buy today is a totally different matter altogether. It smells earthy, urinous and dirty. I live in hope that before I die will discover something which smells as sublime as the original pure perfume.

belle de sud
belle de sud

Tweed is the perfect name for this English icon of feminine scent! Not a demure single floral or a frantic mix a la trend, Tweed is remniscent of an autumn stroll through wooded glens filled with golden light and crisp dried leaves, rich and earthy. Its spices and woods are not for every woman, but I adore it and have worn it for thirty years without tiring of its distinctive aura. A must-try for outdoorsy yet sensuous types!

This was given to me by my Aunt who doesn't like wearing perfume. I actually have the original bottle from the 40's and 50's. The perfume surprisingly has not gone off. Even though it is a mature scent, I often wear this to bed or around the house. It's a musty, woodsy scent with a subtle herbaceous accord. I'm probably making this scent sound horrible, but it really isn't that bad. I've certainly smelt worse.

Tweed by Lentheric 3.49 out of 5 based on 89 ratings and 22 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Lentheric Tweed fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Lentheric Tweed, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tweed by Lentheric. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tweed by Lentheric represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.