Designers » L » Oriental Floral « Groups

Balahe Leonard for women

Balahe Leonard for women
dislike

Balahe Leonard for women Pictures Balahe Leonard for women Pictures Balahe Leonard for women Pictures Balahe Leonard for women Pictures Balahe Leonard for women Pictures

Balahe by Leonard is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Balahe was launched in 1983. The nose behind this fragrance is Daniel Moliere. Top notes are aldehydes, pineapple, coriander, plum, mandarin orange, clary sage, anise and bergamot; middle notes are tuberose, iris, orchid, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and orange blossom; base notes are sandalwood, opoponax, musk, civet, vanilla and vetiver.

Aldehydes Pineapple Coriander Plum Mandarin Orange Clary Sage Anise Bergamot

Tuberose iris Orchid Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose Orange Blossom

Sandalwood Opoponax Musk Civet Vanilla Vetiver

Senso
Obsession

Balahe Fragrance Reviews

Balahe reminds me of both Poison and LouLou. All three feature fleshy, green-ish tuberose and plum. I think where I'm getting the LouLou vibe from is the powdery aspect (orris, iris) of Balahe and the anise.
I've always been intrigued by the over the top bottle and ad campaigns, but it hasn't been until recently that I've been able to sample Balahe and I was a bit wary of some of the notes so I didn't want to blind buy.
I'm happy to say that I rather like this scent. However, since I own Lou Lou and Balahe seems to be a bit more rare, I don't think I'll be buying it any time soon. No sense in snatching it away from someone else who needs it more than I do.

jujy54
jujy54

Mad sexy! A medicinal tuberose, cumin laden, ripe fruit, sweat, and leather, yet with a light touch. There is something both complex and effortless about this underrated masterpiece. I had not thought of it as related to Shalimar until my daughter noted the similarity, which might be the medicinal/resinous note. This is that rare oriental I can wear in warm weather. At the moment it is my go-to scent. Recommend highly.

gfp
gfp

read the reviews and rushed to my closet to find this old forgotten bottle of eau the toilette still waiting there half used. my husband brought it to me from abroad more then 20 years ago. did'nt like it then and still don't appreciate it very much today. at the beginning it's too sweet and heavy . does'nt have a bit of freshness to lighten up the juice. then after about half an hour it softens a bit and stays close to the skin. longevity good sillage moderate. the bottle is interesting and special .nice

Yohji
Yohji

Balahe used to be the One for five years of my life. I was wearing it, my best friends were wearing it, it was like a seductive protective bulb, or better to say PLUM in civet. Ha! Totally unique it will always stay in my memory since all my favourites now cost a fortune and you just can't chase them all.
Being definitely sexy and intriguing it manages to stay very soft and gentle. Opoponax, anise and sage create such unusual spiciness that you would hardly meet in other oriental fragrances, - it has that charming woman's fruity smokiness
..I made myself completely nostalgic now...

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Initally powdery and sweet, but not to the extreme. On my skin this doesn't smell as fruity as the list of notes would indicate...what I get is raisins, cinnamon and a little pinapple and some floral notes. No animal notes at all on me to round the scent out. This doesn't knock my socks off, but it is a pleasant fragrance. Nice for spring.

This perfume is like the superthick version Oscar! Gorgeous!!

schnirchj
schnirchj

I am no expert ... but I have had LOTS of fragrances in my 55 years. This is one of my top 10. I first bought it in my late 20's, and then again about 3 years ago, and just bought another bottle to stash for later. My 11 year old granddaughter (who thinks she is mature, modern and into 'SCENE' absolutely loves this one, along with Casmir. At first it comes on a bit strong, but it settles into a soft, sweet lovely fragrance that makes me want more! I am going to put some on now! :-) I also love Hanae Mori pink butterfly and Anne Pliska. These all tend to be on the sweeter side. It isn't like so many of the 'celebraty actress' aromas. It's comfortable!

babydoll77
babydoll77

This is a heavy mature scent that is quite off putting when first sprayed [when I first smelled it on my skin it smelled like the horrible Cobra perfume which I hate and totally reeks!] BUT after a few minutes it becomes something quite endearing and powdery! I don't think the scent is very special and considering what I paid for it I'm not sure if I can justify the quality of the item with its price tag. Also, the staying power is weak compared to the other perfumes that I have [and I love heavy dark scents so I'm somewhat disappointed that I couldn't add this one to my all time faves :(]...hmmm...glad to have tried it but I'll probably have to give this one to my mum!

puppynose
puppynose

I was so excited to find a bottle or the original formula - it sounds like my kind of fragrance, and it is good, and I can appreciate it's quality and complexity. Unfortunately there is some feature-not just a single note, but some quality in it that is just "not me". That sounds odd I know- it's "just not me".
I don't know if you've ever felt this about a fragrance, as if it doesn't honestly reflect any aspect of my personality and I feel as if it is misleading to wear it. Not like putting on a fun costume or playing "dres-up" but just like it it dishonest. Maybe it does reflect something I'm not in touch with or more likely it reminds me of something or someone but I can't recall what or who. I don't care to just stash it away in my collection and never wear it as the cost of this boxed vintage item would be worth it to me only if I really enjoyed using it. Although I'm glad I had the chance to experience it, I'd rather not keep it. If anyone who would truly enjoy using this wants to swap something with me for this, please pm me!

lapurrla
lapurrla

I find this floral oriental totally accessible which is fantastic, because I still think it's my favourite style of perfume but there just aren't that many I enjoy wearing. The aldehydes don't dominate and it never overpowers. Some spicy florals with the powder in the background. A great find amongst a collection of miniatures I purchased, with another on the way. Not giving this one away, sorry Mum and Aunty Kath! One to be happy about finally finding.

(Reviewing a vintage miniature).

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Tonights great discovery! Amouage copied 80% of "Balahe" when making "The Library Collection Opus III" !! "Opus III" is an almost exact (but sweeter/more" rounded") copy of "Balahe" edt (by LEONARD), which is discontinued. But "Balahe" can still be found for a good price on the internet !! AND best of all = you can get "Balahe" for a *MUCH* better price. And the black Balahe-bottle, with a silk red string is such a beautiful piece of art itself!! Oh, good I saved me some money by already owning this scent in Balahe! :)

passionata20

Now that i have also a huge bottle of EDT version in original formulation and "newer"version i can compare both pure parfum and EDT versions. To me they smell a bit different: EDT is more sharp,but parfum is more softer. But i like them both. Really. Very much.
EDT review in original formulation 100ml bottle:
At first it is sharp and very much like Ungaro´s "Desnuda" to me but much more spicier and it might even scare you off. While Desnuda is more sharp and sopay in the opening Balahe is much softer and creamier and powdery.
But then it settles down and fruit notes come through with a powder note. It is so pleasantly spicy that i can´t stop enjoying it and the more you wait it indeed gets better. Just give it a chance to settle down and you will love it even more! I am loving it all the way: top-middle-drydown.
The lasting power is very-very good.
Try this at colder time of the year and you will feel yourself very outstanding from the rest of the crowd. Truly remarkable and very unique scent.
My precious!(indeed) :)
I can´t really tell the difference between original formula nad re-release, i have both of them in different sizes (2x100ml and 50ml), to my nose they smell both amazing and the same. Maybe the later formula is not as much intense as the first one, but still this is a powerful fragrance with great projection.
My collection of Balahe bottles is growing and it makes me feel soooo good. It is definitly in my top favorites of all time!! Never want to run out of it.

passionata20

Just got a bottle of pure perfume today!
It was a blind buy
I am totally loving this one!!!
I thought it would be very sharp and dark fragrance but it is surprisingly fresh and light! I don´t feel the plum, but i do feel orchid and pineapple! This has all the chances to become one of my most beloved fragrances now. Very yummy!
At the drydown it reminds me a lot of Paloma Picasso´s "Tentantions"

imoore
imoore

It is strictly for grown up women!

You young tutty-frutty lovers
do not dare purchase it before trying!

Very
French,
powdery,
long lasting,
opera house worthy in the
winter.

hollycat
hollycat

This reminds me so much of Bal a Versailles. So much going on. Its got a good bit of civet in there and makes the scent mature and sort of dressed up. But unlike BAV, Balahe has noticable fruity notes like plum making it a bit sweeter. It gets fruitier as the scent lingers on.

It has an old school vibe about it. A Classic feeling.

Verdict: Its not really my style.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

This behaves more like an oriental spicy on my skin. The anise is so dominant on my chemistry that it doesn't really let up, not even through the dry-down. The florals are sweet and the base is very deep. It's a beautiful, heavier fragrance that requires the right chemistry to carry it properly.

It feels like a rich fragrance from a by-gone era.

guest_jovar
guest_jovar

this parfum vrry simeller to senso by ungaro both of them flory pawdery both not in prodction

I have the original formulation, but haven't smelled the more recent one. Think of Tabu from 30 or 40 years ago, when the formulation was still good, and then smooth it out/soften it up significantly. That's what Balahe reminds me of, though as has been said, you need to give it time to settle down. It's a complex blend, but you get a sense of this or that note now and then, so it never gets boring. I would also say this is at least borderline unisex, and I prefer it to the super-sweet "masculine" fragrances of today (you know who you are! LOL). The prices seem high for the vintage ones I saw on ebay, so you might want to sample first to make sure it is worth the price to you. Note that the tuberose is a bit strong (at least to me) for a while, but after an hour or so the whole fragrance smooths out very nicely.

I finally understand this perfume!! It is a thick buttery floral perfume, for those longing back to the roaring twenties!!!
:-)

guest_stray
guest_stray

I'd like to stress the top-to-down design of Balahé and absolute coherence between the package and the fragrance. The name is neutrally exotic, but the marvellous package design is markedly Japanese-inspired, black-and-red, string included: black textured cardboard slide-in case with a characteristic wave pattern in relief duplicated on the plastic case, where the flacon is cradled in the small cental compartment with black felt lining! A jewel!

The scent is dark and "poisonous" (slightly medicinal or "potion-like") but serene, very noble in its drydown, grand and ladylike. I agree with Lady Jedy on its similarity with Loulou; though, I find it quieter, more balsamic and less sweet. It is surprising how perfectly balanced it is: the animalic notes are never offensive, and white flowers are not soapy as it often happens. Despite its "vintage air", Balahé doesn't smell any dated, I even find it more interesting and modern than, say Youth Dew Amber Nude, and perfectly suited for a righteous Night at the Opera!

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

I didn't have high expectations for Balahe and, indeed, the first spritz almost scared me off with its heavy aldehydes. Overcoming the initial impulse to immediately wash it off, I continued sniffing my wrist again and again. Around 30 minutes after application I started to recognize something really familiar. I sniffed and sniffed and sniffed and wondered what it could be ... and finally it hit me! What the drydown of Balahe reminds me of is the good old lady LouLou by Cacharel! What I did next was go and check the composition of both frags and I was shocked to discover that they actually have 11 matching notes - iris, plum, jasmine, anise, tuberose, orange blossom, orris root, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, musk and vanilla! So if you manage to survive the overwhelming retro opening and if you like LouLou, there is a pretty good chance that you would appreciate the oriental beauty of Balahe, too.

allexa27
allexa27

very heavy aldehydes,very heavy!!!!I would fall down the chair when i sniffed it and i got dizzy.I am sorry to say it but it is too nasty to be worn by normal human beiing

Malegria
Malegria

Despite the serious looking bottle, Balahe is as soft as a kitten`s paw.What a beautiful and unique scent!It has a bit of a sharp start, but is tamed really easily.Don`t pay attention to the first fruity burst - it will go away very soon, leaving you sniffing your wrist in ecstasy! It`s creamy, powdery...almost baby-powder-like...But with a definite sensual twist. I found the dry down slightly resembling original Poison (100 times diluted)....A great oriental.

Tarya
Tarya

Back in 80's the hair were big, the shoulders were wide, and the perfumes were bold and strong, like this darling Balahe. This scent is deep and dark like black velvet, oriental, mysterious and warm. As a teenager I was using this often. I wouldn't use this anymore as for me this connects so strongly to 80's.

falovalo
falovalo

Chat Lunatique described this scent very well. I just happen not to like it. It's a bit on the heavy side, and it does have the vintage air about it. I find it spicy and a bit boring, as it smells very similar to many other older fragrances.

khat_reid
khat_reid

My all time favourite perfume. Subtle, elegant, long lasting, sexy and unique. I remember when I first smelled it, I was very unsure of the top notes, but it settles into pure glory. Always hard to find where I live (Australia)its rarity adds to its preciousness.

esprit2fly
esprit2fly

I have it receveid today. At the beginn I have thought that was a medicine. Now, after two hours, I think I have a new jewel in my parfum collection. I cannot stop to sniff my wrist.

Nuppu
Nuppu

I did use this sometime in my teens, little different and intresting scent, maybe towards more to the chyprefamily. Odly I can't remember how this excatly smell? Maybe need to get small bottle of it, just for old times sake.

Balahe by Leonard 3.93 out of 5 based on 125 ratings and 28 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Leonard Balahe fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Leonard Balahe, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Balahe by Leonard. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Balahe by Leonard represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.