Designers » L » Chypre Floral « Groups

Tamango Leonard for women
dislike

aldehydic
Tamango Leonard for women Pictures

Tamango by Leonard is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Tamango was launched in 1977. Top notes are bergamot, green notes, spices and aldehydes; middle notes are carnation, iris, rose, lily-of-the-valley and orchid; base notes are sandalwood, oak moss, amber and tonka bean.

Bergamot Green Notes Spices Aldehydes

Carnation iris Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Orchid

Sandalwood oak moss Amber Tonka Bean

Climat
Diamella

Tamango Fragrance Reviews

mrsg34
mrsg34

I recieved a sample of this I really thought I would like this but it smelt bitter on me and kind of like (and no offense to anyone that likes it)a bit musty? Maybe my chemicals everyones are different I know.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

I bought this one a month ago for a friend of mine that really loves lily of the valley smell. It's fresh, green at the beginning and then floral notes will enchant your senses. My friend says it's long-lasting. Unfortunately, I didn't purchase it on sale, as it is now, on Strawberrynet. Maybe next time :D

reborn

Also it is identical to Madame Rochas but one idea fresher,but almost 100% the same

reborn

on me it smells almost identical to Climat.Too bad,because i have Climat;-((((But thats the risk when u buy blind.

Plrowden
Plrowden

This review is for the original 1977 formula.

The first impression I had as this scent hit my nose was of a rose' sparkling wine! It was effervescent, rosy, woody and a bit green. What a delight! The aldehydes and rose mix masterfully with the spices, carnation and iris, making this a most fresh and feminine fragrance which is incredibly wearable.

I didn't detect the Lilly of the Valley, or the citrus. I am not fond of citrus in my fragrances, so to me, this is a very good thing! I am enamored with this full bodied gem!

As the aldehydes fade, so does the spiciness, leaving a rather rich but light-hearted floral which is quite delectable. The dry down is a gorgeous blend of soft florals and the beautiful oak moss. I loved it from start to finish and it is still glowing on my skin!

Sillage is moderate on me and so is the longevity.

georgequeue
georgequeue

My mother used to wear this back in 1986; it was so delicious and classy! I wish I could get some for her.

lalig
lalig

Based on other reviews comparing it to Rive Gouche and No.19 i orderd a bottle, to my disappointment it was very bitter and chemicaly on me ( wish i've read SHRAPOP's review), i geve it away to a more loving home.

Soignee
Soignee

This is one of my everyday, "go to" fragrances. It's soapy, floral, green, and powdery. It smells clean and fresh.

It reminds me of 5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden, another of my everyday, "go to" fragrances.

Marianne, DK
Marianne, DK

Chanel No.19 and Rive Gauche, yes, but also Climat, before it was reformulated. But quite apart from these similarities, this is a wonderful scent, with a perfect balancing of sharp and soft notes. I enjoy every minute wearing it.

Shoshi
Shoshi

Smells like a softer, more subtle and wearable First by Van Cleef and Arpels. Beautiful soft aldehyde/chypre jasmine scent.

LOLAISA
LOLAISA

Got it today!
Since first sniff, I `m crazy in LOVE with it!!!
It is so FEMININE!!!
I think it smells like a REAL WOMAN have to smell. To me it is a very beautiful, classy lady, serious but at the same time playful, gentle but sexy, sweet buy not in the girly way, so aristocratically cold, but inviting!!! Spicy, powdery, warmmmmmmmm...
I can not stop smelling my wrist! It is so GORGEOUS! Since long time I was not so crazy about any fragrance that I tried.
It is a cold weather in Paris today, a little humid, Tamango was perfect on me today, I was catching amazing waffles all the way home.
It smells similar to English drag store classic PANACHE which I also like allot, but Tamango it match more intense.
I got 100ml eau de toilette version, my guess modern...
Oh, I`m so happy I got it!!!

lapurrla
lapurrla

This does have some similarity to Rive Gauche. An old school vibe, very 70's, to me, as I was a child sniffing perfumes back then. I like it but don't know if I want to wear it. Perhaps around 25 years ago, when I wore Caleche as I madly adored it, I would have fallen for Tamango. And a room-mate used to drown herself in Rive Gauche daily and I guess I had enough of that too, long ago. Tamango's like a walk down memory lane although this is the first time I've smelt it. Nothing wrong with an old school vibe by the way. (Vintage miniature).

Edit 220113:Seems much less like Rive Gauche this time as I get used to Tamango. It's the sweetness coming through the sharp notes of the first few hours that surprise me. Sweet carnation blends harmoniously with the other flowers and a touch of amber. I need to press my nose into my skin to get this, but it's good, really good. Perseverance or patience has won out this time. Few more tests before I consider a full bottle. Chypres can be so interesting even if often find them difficult.

akheperure
akheperure

I don't know what to make of this one. At the first application I thought it was identical to Molinard's Chypre d'Orient (which I don't like much) and I could smell nothing else on my skin for hours.
But a new spraying I just did now, and it feels completely different, more notes are coming out and it's getting interesting. My room smells lovely now, in a kind of vintage ladies perfume way. I look forward the next application to see what else comes out from this bottle... :)

akats

I bought it and it is exactly as shown the picture above. I think this is not the very latest reformulation, but a previouse one. I'm happy for this. I don't think it as a summer fragrance, at least not in my country (2 days ago we had 39 C)so, I'm saving it for fall and Winter.

akats

Very nice fragrance. Tamango is a true chypre. Modern Tamango is lighter and more floral than the old one, but is still a chypre smell. The old one, was more bitter, heavier and peppery in the beginning (more spices perhaps or more carnation. The new, preserves the old character but lacks that mossy bitter twist of the old times... It is my opinion and I am not quite sure if I remember it well. There are so many years that have past between my comparison...

sarage
sarage

I don't know if I still like Tamango, probably not. But I loved it when I was 19! I received many compliments! That I remember, and then I felt it really was my scent. I remember it smelled fresh.

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

I totally agree with loismonahan!
It really does remind me of Chanel 19 & Rive Gauche :>

Serpico
Serpico

They totally repacked it . New glass bottle , new packaging with Leonard's flowers .
I't's less old fashion, even a bit trendy I'd said ...
Anyway the fragrance is still amazing . A real awesome classic .

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!
Now really! The first time i have tested it i didn´t liked it at all, but now i am in love with this one! One of the most feminine (and i mean Feminine) fragrances i have ever tried, without being overly sexy, agressive or on the heavy side. I am using a latest version of this one, but as i read from others reviews the original is bit different, so in the nearest future i am planning to purchase and try the original edition of this scent.
The lasting power is very very good for a EDT version. I have bought all the 90ml bottles they were selling in our shops so now i am totally stocked up with this one for a long time :))
I have also purchased a pure parfum concentration in old version and waiting for it to arrive to give a new review. I wonder if it is also as fabulous as the EDT version.

20FourSevenEleven
20FourSevenEleven

I used to wear this twenty years ago. I was ecstatic when I came across a bottle over a year ago and decided to get it without question. Well, it sat in the cupboard until I decided to swap it. It just wasn't the same. Even the box looked cheap, as did the bottle itself. Remember the classic Arpege bottle with the springy spray pump? Well Tamango had the same enduring quality in its packaging and even the logo was more carefully ingrained. I know I am splitting hairs, but it is the little things that we notice, especially on such delicate items as perfume!

21. february 2011

"Nothing special about this one" that was my first impression about Tamango. Quite sharp with citrus notes in the opening, but then blends into something soapy indeed. I totally agree with all the others who feel that.
But since it is going out of stock in my country and they sell it for a bargain price i wanted to try it again. And now the more i try the more i like it! This is a very feminine fragrance, now i finally understand it! The opening might scare you off, because reminds of a soap detergent, but just wait until it settles down in about 30 minutes! Rose with aldehydes is a beautiful combination here.
Indeed a great as an everyday scent pleasant and very feminine. For women of every age: suits young and old.
Also the lasting power of EDT is very good.

Bebe70
Bebe70

Extremely sharp and too lemony.
It begins to be nice after 2 or 3 hours.

nightflight
nightflight

A good vintage scent for special occasion.

This perfume in the vintage formulation is not really a floral to my nose. It is an oriental spicy I would say. It has a lot in common Dioressence and even more so Yves Rocher Diamella. I never knew Diamella had a twin, but she has and it is Tamango!

loismonahan
loismonahan

Just purchased this yesterday. My local perfume store had testers for sale from a closed branch of their store. I'd always wanted to try something by Leonard. I must say I really like this one! ($9.99!) It reminds me of Chanel 19 or Rive Gauche, two fragrances that I haven't experienced in a long time. Nice surprise!

imoore
imoore

It is an excellent every day office scent. Very easy to carry, and not offensive at all.
It's longevity is not as grait as Balahe, but a good choice if you do not want to smell like candy.

Although I usually like floral aldehydes, Leonard TAMANGO does not sit well with me for some reason. It may be that, unlike my favorite aldehyde-rich perfumes--including CALECHE and WHITE LINEN--the oak moss in this creation from 1977 muddies the waters a bit too much.

I feel as though the flowers are fighting for their life, gasping for breath, suffocating within a quasi-chypre cloud. But the aldehydes in TAMANGO do not manage to cut through the fog, instead, they, too, seem somehow trapped in a bog.

I guess that I'm finding that TAMANGO is a case of neither/nor: not a full-fledged floral aldehyde in all its characteristically clean soapy glory, but also not a full-fledged chypre, with all its characteristic dark ponderous depth.

Not for me, not this one. Désolée!

guest_Miss Delicious
guest_Miss Delicious

TAMANGO - very very nice fragrance.
Vintage - but goooood. Feminine without a doubt.

Yesterday i tried it again and it is a great perfume!! Leonard is a masterpiece supplier, they have SO many fantastic perfumes!!

Persian Belle
Persian Belle

My mom had a big bottle when I was little. I remember that long after the bottle was used up, I used to still sniff it, and loved it! :o)

Enchant
Enchant

I like it OK, it's not my favorite though. It smells a bit soapy on me, but that's alright. It's nice, but I'm thinking about giving this one to Mom. I like Lenard's L'Orchidee more than this one.

Nuppu
Nuppu

Start with crisp green notes, then flowers, mostly lily of the valley and finish with powdery oakmoss, like Rive Gauche, but lighter. Classic everyday and officescent.

Tamango by Leonard 3.97 out of 5 based on 81 ratings and 32 user reviews

TAMANGO for WOMEN by Leonard EDT SPRAY 3 OZ OLD PACKAGING
TAMANGO for WOMEN by Leonard EDT SPRAY 3 OZ OLD PACKAGING
Leonard Tamango Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.3oz
Leonard Tamango Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.3oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Leonard Tamango fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Leonard Tamango, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tamango by Leonard. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tamango by Leonard represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.