Designers » L » Oriental Woody « Groups

Oppoponax Les Nereides for women and men

Oppoponax Les Nereides for women and men
dislike

Oppoponax Les Nereides for women and men Pictures Oppoponax Les Nereides for women and men Pictures

Imperial Opoponax is based on a sweet resinous aroma of opoponax (sweet myrrh), blended with such noble oriental ingredients as benzoin, sandalwood, amber and vanilla.

Citruses Sandalwood Amber Vanilla Benzoin Opoponax

Oppoponax Fragrance Reviews

MoreScentsThanDollars
MoreScentsThanDollars

I'm on a no buy atm but this one is making it very difficult!
I'm sampling her atm, this beauty reminds me of the back bone of Shalimar. Its a really lovey smooth but serious scent Id highly recommended to anyone that loves that shalimary type smell but wants much less citrus in the opening.
Absolutely full bottle worth in my opinion. A+

PurseJunkie
PurseJunkie

I’ve been interested in opoponax the note ever since I found out that is a player in two of my all-time favorite perfumes, Fat Electrician and Tar. Oppoponax the perfume (what’s with the extra “P”?) is quite sweet and all kinds of resinous from the very beginning after the brief citrus note had evaporated I was not sure there would be much more to be gotten from it. After a bit of sniffing, however, I noticed an additional, sharp what-the-hell-is-that note of the sort you find in my two, more avant-garde friends I mentioned above. After a little quality time with my perfume-testing spreadsheet, I eventually concluded that it was probably most similar to the “mothball” (or as some even less flatteringly call it, “bug spray”) note I and a few others have experienced in Shalimar. Personally, I’m delighted: I like a perfume that slaps me in the nose a little and makes me pay attention. Those prefer their perfumes a little less prickly than I do, however, will be pleased to hear that it settles down in a pleasant vanilla/sandalwood direction.

magnolia78
magnolia78

It was a blind buy for me, based on some positive reviews here. I was looking for a opoponax perfume and I thought I might give Les Nereides Opoponax a try. And I didn't regret it! I fell in love with it the second I smelt it. So unusual, unlike anything I've tried before. And I tried a lot!!:) It is very linear on my skin, doesn't change much at all, maybe vanilla gets a bit more prominent after a couple of hours. Very soft, feminine and warm. Awesome longevity, around 7-9 hours, sillage above average. Highly recommended!

Angelica 000
Angelica 000

This is delicious. Firstly I was reminded of 1980's Shalimar...but it is one of the perfect perfumes that are better (& better) with warmth. Deeply rich Vanilla,then Myrrh, I hadn't experienced this in a heavy dose before...sensational! Seriously long lasting, I'm writing this after 9 hours & it's still in full bloom, just closer to the skin.A truly beautiful, desirable perfume.

miss honeysuckle
miss honeysuckle

The warm summerdays are over and Oppoponax is the best way to welcome autum and winter.
Oponax, sandalwood with a hint of lemonlike vanilla make this little gem so magic.
Resinous, powdery and very cozy - unique and sensational!
Wearable all day long, never too much!
My secret to come through the cold seasons - wrapped in a dreamy waft!!

svetlana.kogan.73
svetlana.kogan.73

I love this warm resinous fragrance and enjoy my full bottle but it is a bit dull on its own so I usually layer some rose over it , like Voleur de Roses by L'artisan or Brulure de Rose by Parfumerie Generale. This way the cozy and meditative quality of the oppoponax is enlivened by the vibrancy of a flower. Overall, highly recommend for all resin and myrr in particular lovers.

archivist
archivist

I see that people are comparing this to Shalimar (a Guerlain I simply cannot get along with) and agree that there is a Guerlinade vibe to this, but I personally find it MUCH more similar to L'Heure Bleue in its glory days. I find it hard to believe there is no heliotrope at all in this, as I get a very clear and strong heliotrope with the benzoin and opoponax in this, with a very bright and pronounced cherry-almond note which seems to be paired closely with a slightly sheep-wooly note of lanolin. It is far sweeter than LHB with a much more intense cherry-almond (honestly, this really must be heliotrope or an analogue of it) which only deepens in the drydown, to the point where this smells more like Rahat Loukoum in its first years of production than even Rahat Loukoum does these days (look for the bell bottles with purple in the label to get the original intensity). Exceptionally rich and decadent, a lush gourmand which doesn't smell foodie. I'm looking forward to sampling this again in cold weather to see if the lanolin note scales back some, summer skin is so different from winter skin as far as surface pH and moisture and skin chemistry goes. Not just because of the heat and sweating and moisturizing and sun exposure, but I think also because of the difference between summer food and winter food. I hope it keeps bringing the cherry, though!

After several days of testing, I find this too similar to LHB to warrant a buy, particularly because I like LHBs other notes/complexity more.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Opoponax is a sweet/resinous fragrance. At first spray I did not smell that much of it. After about one half hour it started to develop and WOW!, I could not stop smelling myself. Besides Opoponax, I smell lots of amber, vanilla and sandalwood. It is very safe for office or casual wear. It is a beautiful composition.

zakalkwe
zakalkwe

I blind bought it after reading some reviews and I am really happy with it. It is a warm, but not too sweet, smooth, conforting, resins-vanilla fragrance. Thumbs up!!

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

A simple lover of things that smell nice, I can tell anyone that is interested in a quality, opoponax scent... get this asap.

This gorgeous elixir placed upon one's throat and arms will make you and your desired one feel... (oops! too x-rated for the site). Ok... where are my seven veils??? This is a high quality resinous, powdery and luscious piece of perfume art. Not Shalimar, or anything else that has been mentioned. Brut??? I'll take those that compared this to Brut all to the mat (wrestling) for that! This is a fragrance a dark-eyed man or woman of unusual,exotic features wears when they softly welcome you to their table set with dates, honey and whatever spirit that they conjure. Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia comes to mind. Yes.

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

I know people smell things differently & each nose pulls focus on different notes dependent on individual familiarity. And yes this is essentially a rich resin centric symphony, with mostly opoponax (as to be expected) in the 'diva' position. The glorious sweet myrrh in soprano voice to an amber woody vanilla chorus. And yes, whilst some of these here mentioned rags might share some of it's notes (many frags contain resins, amber & vanilla), still, I'm sorry but I don't think Imperial Opoponax smells anything like Shalimar, Myrrhiad, Krazy Krizia, Voile d'Ambre, Luctor et Emergo, Labdanum 18, Givenchy Pi, Jaipur Homme, Fleur de Corail, Obsession, Moschino, Boudoir, Musc Ravageur, L'Eau Ambree, or even Carmex Lip Balm for that matter. And as for whoever thought this smelled like Brut (WTF??), I'm sorry but IMO their nose is in serious need of a check-up as I imagine it might be suffering from the nasal equivalent of colour-blindness. It smells nothing, NOTHING like Brut, not even remotely so. (+ as far as I'm aware Brut's never contained any opoponax, or myrrh of any kind for that matter, so ... .)

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Opoponax is a honest resinous-vanillin scent, quite sweet but with a nice and pleasant dusty "solid" feel. Spices (cumin, cinnamon), a subtle mossy-woody base accord and obviously a load of resins as prominent accord. Not particularly opulent, or radiant, or baroque as a "total-resinous" scent may appear; it's quite pleasant, but also somehow restrained and, well, a bit dull... for the first hour, at least; then it starts to warm up and become increasingly brighter and radiant, like a dawn arising. Nothing amazing, but surely better than the opening. Quite good overall.

Eneli
Eneli

I got a sample of Imperial Oppoponax and I really liked it. So I decided to buy a whole bottle. I see that it has a new name (just Oppoponax) and bottle. But is the content still the same? I don't want to spend my money on dull and watery versions.
Great longevity for a EdT by the way!

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

Once applied, the resinous notes appears, impossible to separately identify this opening notes, along the resinous notes, feel the aroma of citrus fruits break the smoky tone and this sweet feature of perfumes heavily loaded resin, leaving the fragrance with a scent more natural that make it very enjoyable.

After about 20 minutes, vanilla appears, brings to mind the vanilla opening Musc Ravageur, but in a much more discreet and restrained, clear, and without the presence of clove and cinnamon. Shortly after this vibration Musc Ravageur disappears, resins dominate once again, sandalwood brings a certain woody creaminess to this resins pump and vanilla, and stay in my skin to the end.

In my skin I felt only an evolution, as if there were the deep notes, but I believe this happens because they lack an olfactory pyramid, but of course this does not diminish the quality of this wonderful perfume. Longevity very long on the skin, and the projection is monster the first two hours, after this time stay behaved, but still very visible.

Adrien02
Adrien02

This is a review of the Imperial Oppoponax. Agree with ' orchid84' in that this scent is reminiscent of Shalimar. It doesn't have the soapiness of Shalimar, it is warmer, richer and deeper. A resinously sweet scent that becomes a richly developed skin scent after a few hours. Lasts and lasts but unobtrusive.
P.S. This perfume brings to mind Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood without the waxy, lipstick-like note I seem to get from Boudoir.

A textbook balmy scent. Largely opoponax and benzoin. Similar to L'eau Ambree but very pared down and much less powdery. A sweet, soft Oriental skin scent. Slightly spicy. Very warm, easygoing.
I may buy this as a replacement if I use up L'eau Ambree. For now, I don't need both.

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

This is a First flirt-review, i will add more in a week.
Deep amber & sandalwood that brings me straight to a sauna and the chlorine in a swimmingpool. Deliciously warm and distinct.
Its a strong and smoky skinscent with fine blending & longevity.
Absolutely unisex.

I can see how "Deefit", the reviewer below, gets LOTs of citrus, because I was there too! "- is it lemon? Is it lime? Is it citruspeel? Wow wait, is it burnt light wood!?" Its so sharp yet inviting and the resin/tree scent is so hard for me to seperate from the citrus. Its good.

I really enjoy this. Thats Lucky for me, because I blind-bought THREE BOTTLES, based only on Your reviews :)

Deefit
Deefit

First try was on paper yesterday. I felt this was a bit classic and slightly feminine perhaps? But of course I gave it another chance on my skin today.

Wow! This is gorgeous! The initial blast is citrus, lots of citrus! I'm surprised citrus as a note only got 1/6th of the votes because the opening of citrus is so apparant to me! Perhaps it's because of my somewhat dry skin and the fact that I am a man.

I will wear this again to give a more detailed review, but so far I am very pleased with this blind buy. It is a smooth, warm sweet balsamic fragrance with some creamy vanillic aspects, probably because of the vanilla and the benzoin.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

Not really the place for it but @brada you can buy samples of this at ausliebezumduft.de

Oh this is gorgeous! Rich and intoxicating but somehow without being heavy. It smells very similar to the wonderful Obsession and Moschino Moschino at opening. However where Obsession goes deep into vanilla-leather musky animalic resinous territory and Moschino becomes more powdery musk and lighter with some florals, Oppoponax stays with that opening, albeit more quietly than the other two.

This remains rich, resinous and warm throughout, heavier on the oppoponax, amber and benzoin at first and over time the amber and vanilla become more apparent along with some warm sandalwood to keep things nice and balanced although the opening notes remain apparent throughout. This projects wonderfully, wearing it on my arms I get the most wonderful wafts of scent reaching my nose, yet it doesn't cross easily into other's space and is not overpowering. Pretty good longevity at around 9 hours on a warm day, and it stays balanced throughout. Lovely. I tested from a generous sample but this is going on my want list for sure!

I don't get any of the associations with Shalimar that others mention, to me it is not alike at all.
Beautiful perfume, well worth a try.

polly golightly
polly golightly

su di me puzzissima. avevo enormi aspettative e invece... sulla pelle fa lo stesso effetto di shalimar, orribile

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

this is close to a masculine vintage shalimar

pinkjessy
pinkjessy

For me it is the ultimative christmas scnet, it smells like christmas :)))

antfarm
antfarm

Incredibly sexy and natural. For some reason, this reminds me of elegant brunette movie stars. It smells like how I imagine Isabella Rosellini's pillow would smell.

This wears on my skin like a light cloud of grown-woman-va-va-voom and isn't too overpowering. I can smell it in the air, but when I go to sniff my wrist, I can't smell anything, so I suppose it diffuses quite well.

I will have to test it again to consider for a full bottle purchase, but so far, so good. And the price is very reasonable as well, which is always a plus.

orchid_84
orchid_84

Imperial Opoponax strikes me as having a distinctively old-world vibe. It has a rich, high-end "perfumey" quality to it that makes me think of Shalimar. The combination of citrus, resins, vanilla, powder, and smokiness definitely brings Guerlain's classic to mind. Imperial Opoponax lacks the animalic leather note in Shalimar, and also has a slightly sweeter, creamier feel. There is a delicious almond-extract type of sweetness that I'm picking up...perhaps it's the combination of vanilla and benzoin.

I see this has been voted as similar to Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre. Although they do both have strong citrus and resin notes, I don't find them that alike. Imperial Opoponax is a beautiful fragrance, but I don't think I feel the need to buy a bottle myself. Shalimar provides me with a very similar effect, and I prefer/plan to acquire this fragrance in the near future. Nonetheless, I highly recommend sampling this gem from Les Nereides, especially if you're into resinous fragrances.

DR521
DR521

Top note is a beautiful citrus over a profusion of vanilla and resin. Beautiful contrast of a bright myrrhe note with vanilla and woods keeps it from getting too sweet. Similar to my old Shalimar Parfum de Toilette from the 80s, and reminiscent of my vintage Shalimar parfum from the 60s which can be described as 'bergamot over leather' because the vanilla is so deep and intense. This vanilla is lighter but cut with woods and the clear resinous myrrh note similar to La Myrrhe which almost gives it a feel of men's cologne. Very unisex and because of the vanilla, sexy.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I thought it smelled very familiar. In the first 10 minutes, this is a dead-ringer for the original Moschino! Over time, it becomes a more simple creamy vanilla.

I have opoponax pure essential oil of a medicinal grade (the highest, purest quality), so I know what opoponax smells like. There is not much opoponax here, some other kind of amber perhaps, like benzoin, but not opoponax.

In any case, this is very warm, ambery, and cozy. I love it, but because I have the original Moschino, it is not a "must" for my collection at the moment..maybe someday?

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

So, I got my LuckyScent vials, in eager anticipation of testing out some classics, and started with this- it was frankly quite terrible!

I'm still confused as to whether there was some mistake in the decanting, I had to keep checking the vial! But I'm not sure distributors as experienced as them would ever make that sort of mistake.

The opening was a hideous, dull and powdery mix of eucalyptus and powdery mothball-spiked amber.

Absolutely no sweetness, richness or resins in these first few minutes. This all then started to settle down a bit (still with the mothballs), before a muffled, choking citrus and even fainter powder started slowly developing.

Really, this is a very good representation of a musty, ancient attic or vault that you discovered after 100s of years! Plus some powdery sweetness, but still choking amidst the dust.

This is not the interpretation of liquid gold I was after at all.

Those after a sweet, transparent and radiant amber stay well clear of this. The medicinal opening is actually very similar to that of Montale's Blue amber which I purchased in the same haul.

It takes an age to clear, finally allowing any sweet amber to be more of your 'standard' amber, but it's an awful ride on the way.

Very disappointing, and actually quite worrying.

1/5.

Some reviewers have compared The People of the Labyrinths LUCTOR ET EMERGO to Les Néréides OPOPONAX, of which I was recently sent a sample by the generous SystemeD, so I decided to give it a whirl. I guess that I'm confused by the comparison. No cherries; no almonds. I also smell no lavender (as jtd reports, below). So what do I smell?

Something golden and ambery. In this case, it seems like a cross between an orthodox labdanum amber and an ambergris. The labdanum, if present, is light. The ambergris, if present, is light. A couple of reviewers have referenced Calvin Klein Obsession, and there is no doubt some overlap in the golden brown notes, but OPOPONAX serves them up in a mild enough dose that by the drydown this perfume feels like a skin scent. It's warm and simple and golden. Much simpler than Yves Rocher VOILE D'AMBRE, to which others have compared this composition.

I guess that people are perceiving overlaps, and there are between all of these various creations, but OPOPONAX is its own perfume, not a copy or a flanker of anything else. I would characterize this as a lighter oriental scent without going so far as to fall into the recently invented genre of thin (watery) oriental fragrances, which I myself do not really like. No, this one still seems fat-soluble, but the golden layer applies as a very thin patina over the skin.

leecher88
leecher88

ok ladies and gents

i ordered a sample and all i can say is that the first two hours were interesting and new but like another reviewer said it became GIVENCHY Pi

Yes i love Pi and the price is even cheaper so why not to buy if you want Pi with a smaller price tag.

Except the price and the opening all is the same

I made the test sprayed on both hands each one and compared them throughout the day.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I agree with the previous reviewer who got it down pat by calling this is a very resinous and deep scent. Very balmy and resinous indeed. For someone who likes romantic scents, this definitely does not fall under date night. I get resins( but of course! Note: if anyone wanted to know what resin smelt like this would be it), wood and ? Ash. Like a BBQ pit where the fire is now just glowing ambers emanating just a few trails of smoke. Not cigarette smoke. The previous reviewer would read Wuthering Heights with this. I would choose the Santanic Verses, which leaves me about as open-mouthed as this scent. It's interesting to say the least. However definitely not up my alley. Perhaps someone else who prefers more virile perfumes. Virile, deep and profound. Sillage about an arm's length away and longevity rather promising thus far, five hours and counting.

phoebemoonpie
phoebemoonpie

This is a very resinous and deep fragrance, perfect for indoor winter activities.

If I had a library in my house, or, more like my mansion - one that was filled with all the books I have ever loved in their original leatherbound editions, and the library had a crackling fire behind a dark screen, and maybe a recumbent Irish Wolfhound lounging on a rug made from the pelts of 7 Moorit Shetland sheep before the flames, and a dusty rose velvet chaise lounge located the perfect distance from the fire …

I would be in an odalisque pose on that antique furniture, reading "Wuthering Heights" for the 12th time, and I would be wearing Imperial Oppoponax.

guido2663
guido2663

Great fragrance also for men to be use with parsimony.

daniela3
daniela3

Although I've been really charmed, by the creations of this Maison, I could not wear any among them as an evident 'disliking' towards them, shown by my rebel skin has always kept me far from 'the family', being their effects on me undeniably poor... : (
Today a miracle has happened: a friend came to see me and seeing that he was carrying a bottle of that wonder in his tennis bag I asked him politely if I could.......: I've lived my epiphany! Surrounded by the sweet aroma of the beautiful myrrh there employed, so round, rich and 'soft', I think that I spied a glimpse of paradise! The notes I could soon detect are among my beloved ones: vanilla, sandal, amber and benzoin, all already clearly detectable since the opening. On my skin sandal, amber and opoponax (myrrh) are staying with a strength and tenacity that I could never thought. A really 'regal' effect, that made me think about another lovely 'pair': 'Le sens du plaisir' by Antonio Visconti. Great! After a while benzoin joined to vanilla blend into a warm, lovely, elegant fragrance. Very beautiful! Lovely sillage and projection.

Perhaps this fragrance is perfect for the cold season but either on me or on my male friend it is sublime, even today on a very hot day.

Highly recommended, also, to 'boys' ('girls' are understood) of every age: do not be afraid to dare!!! ; )

Good persistence on the skin.

aschiffm
aschiffm

to me this is somewhere in-between range of Shalimar and Labdanum 18. It's very sweet and powdery with a hint of happy lemon like in Shalimar, plus an equal dose of sensual sweet resinous amber. it's a comfort scent for sure, kind of reminds me of freshly baked sugar cookies right out of the oven. theres a small amount of "danger" merely just because its so potent and concentrated. but other than that, i would not call it an edgy perfume- by contrast its just really sweet, warm, golden.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is wonderful: sweet, resinous and warm with a dusting of powdery amber to top it all off. Absolutely lovely sillage too. This is opoponax at its best.
Edit: If you like Shalimar but find it a bit too much or find the top notes off-putting, definitely try this, it smells like the Shalimar dry-down.

cpk
cpk

I agree with tiffingirl, this does remind me of CK Obsession too. It is a lit sweeter than Santa Maria Novella Opoponax. The SMN has a cologne-y opening and then it becomes more bitter and herbal. This stays sweet and oriental all the way.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

sorry for a question rather than a review, but can anybody out there compare this to the Santa Maria Novella Opoponax? thx! doody.

Soutty123

They have a shop in Covent Garden! I tried this and I love it, it's like Obsession used to be before they cheapened the formulation.

I didn't buy it because we are coming into spring in the UK and this is a perfume that designed to mingle with the smell of bonfires and the sound of crisp golden leaves crunching underfoot.

Carolina Telo
Carolina Telo

Perfect for wintertime when it's really cold and you want to feel cozy and comfortable. I love it a lot!

kookaburrah
kookaburrah

Could be worn by man or woman very easily. Reminds me of a sweeter CK Obsession

Gosha
Gosha

A delicious, rich, darkly honeyed nectar, little dusty, cozy, sensual and nostalgic.
To me, there is a touch of masculine vibe to start with and I love it, although it mellows very quickly into warmly feminine, darkly sweet, amber-y, woody balm. The vanilla here is light and counteracts and lifts the resinous stickiness of this lovely, lovely concoction.
I agree with many reviewers that there is a feel of "old worldliness" in Imperial Opoponax and that is very comforting somehow. This is full of mellow colours of late Summer or early Autumn, of hot spicy drinks and of bonfires (or fireplaces indeed). Beautiful, sweetly dusty dry down.

mseidoom
mseidoom

Les Nereides Oppoponax smells like Shalimar Ode A La Vanille without the citrus opening and woody notes. This was a heavy fragrance, you only need a little of it. The longevity is great and it has a nice light sweetness to it.

Soutty123

I really wanted to try this and ordered from Oligva which delivered the UK. Unfortunately they sent me Patchouli Antique and I can't speak French so I can't return it.

jtd
jtd

Many people like this perfume, so I know I’m swimming upstream here, but this is one unappealing perfume. I think it strives for harmony, but winds up feeling like motion-sickness. Lavender and amber are like their own one-material harmonies. They generally form pleasing accords so easily. And opoponax is one of the more appealing botanicals, rich but jagged, strikingly handsome.

Combined in this perfume, they form a cloying mix that sticks to the back of my throat like sick. Reminds me that individually beautiful elements can be used to make a mess.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

This oriental smells REALLY nice. Very warm, sweet, sexy and cozy vanilla/amber/opoponax scent.

The amber is almost exactly like the one in CK Obsession, and I absolutely adore that kind of powdery warm amber...

It smells old fashioned in a good fairytale/childhood memories kind of way, not in a dated/mature way.

A bit hard to get hold of a bottle though, at least in Sweden. Had to blind buy the smallest bottle.

I recommend it!

Wega
Wega

On my skin, this is very warm, powdery and pleasant. Imperial Opoponax opened with a hit of citrus - kind of odd - warmer than lemon, but cooler than orange (if that makes any sense).
So far, one hour in, I am getting a fun mix of my grandpa's aftershave and Lolita Lempicka Fleur de Corail (Coral Flower). It's bringing up memories of when I sat on Grandpa Holmes' lap and he pretended to shave my face with the smooth back of his electric razor. Very sweet man :) I love it when perfumes bring back forgotten love and caring from the past.
Also, when I wore it this morning, it smelled very much like Carmex lip balm, for a while.
I am often puzzled, though, how several of my perfumes (completely different compositions) dry down to a vague, pleasant heavy "dust" note. I'm guessing it has something to do with my chemistry interacting with a particular note. I'll have to do some more research to figure out what the link is! (The fumes I can think of off-hand with this similarity are Imperial Opoponax, Hermes Faubourg 24, the original Lolita Lempicka and Stella in Two Peony). Weirdness!
Anyway, I think I love this perfume.

TankGirl
TankGirl

I love it and I will find it and get a full bottle of it!
What a great scent with an atic vibe. I love perfumes that remind me of the past, this one smells like those old boxes full of objects from the childhood and teenage years of your grandparents.
I think is more masculine than feminine and I would feel a little bit out of place wearing it, BUT this fragrance is so good and so simply perfect that I wouldnt care a bit.
The main notes on my skin are the sandalwood and the citruses. This trully reminds me of my grandfather when he used to smoke those 100 year old cuban cigaretted that smelled like woods and vanilla.
Another perfume of this house that I'm carving for!!

8.5/10

Elizabeth Marie
Elizabeth Marie

Oh my, another absolutely yummy scent. At the top of this, I smell orange and it blends so nicely as I would never call this a fruity or citrussy fragrance. The zesty freshness sits atop a bed of incense, smoke and small traces of vanilla and makes this delicious. I'm known to love myrrh and that's here too. To my nose, this fragrance is most definitely feminine. It makes me smell like some scrumptious sugar cookie, and I LOVE IT!

fpih
fpih

I agree with maelleinrome. No citrus on me either, which I admit is a huge plus. But it's smooth, ambery and vanillic and also smoky... comforting and mysterious and sexy at the same time. Really liking it. I think I might need a decant of this one.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Sweet myrrh... makes me want to 'pyrrh.' This really brings out the tiger in me and makes want to claim my place on a velvet cushioned throne. Warm, spicy, mysterious and comforting all the way into my soul.

Slightly medicinal with a sacred, ancient healing vibration. I feel like I'm more attuned when wearing this enigmatic fragrance.

Citrus and amber give this a special glow; benzoin lends a smooth, slowly spiraling, honeyed tobacco accord.

King Soloman regarded opoponax or sweet myrrh as one of the noblest of all incense gums. And when annointing yourself with this regal scent, it's easy to see why.

Truly special. I'll be looking for a large decant or bottle of this radiant perfume.

Pppprrrrrrrr.....

Sparks
Sparks

Simply delicious. Like late summer afternoon sunlight. Rich, honeyed, and sensuous...or a glowing fire on a cold winter day, enveloping, comforting, caressing warmth. Having found this, I will never be without it.

maelleinrome
maelleinrome

I've just smelled this... I'm in love!!! It's amazing! I don't smell citrus at all; on my skin, it's a beautiful and long lasting ambery, vanillic and lightly smokey scent. It's right who said it remembers the cake and the curch ;)

adrienn99
adrienn99

this is divine indeed!!!

the introduction is a lovely sweet lemon with some woods in the background. With time the opoponax appears providing a lovely spicelike upbeat with woody notes.
The drydown then is amber-vanilla, almost toffee-like.

I do not get anything powdery and I find this very nice and feminine.

A must for those who like rich perfumes with articulated amber.

merilu59
merilu59

odora come il dolce e la chiesa:)

Pa.princess
Pa.princess

A beautiful warm and cozy scent. Just perfect for colder weather. I do not get any of the citrus at all, and that's just fine with me. The opopanax is definately the star here! The lasting power of this is fantastic. I can still smell it after a long work day.
A friend of mine says this smells like cake and church :)

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

To me Imperial Opoponax is one of the strangest scents I came across. It smells very warm and enveloping, the resins in this perfume are just amazing; actually, it leaves somehow the impression that it has "texture", or a thickness to it, like honey. Sweet myrrth is predominant, along with some resins that comes from a coniferous tree. Everything is honeyed and mixed with vanilla, not a gourmand type, but rather oily like the scent that comes when you cut and scrape a Tahitian vanilla bean.
This is definitely oriental, mysterious, warm, woody, and something from it reminds me of Dolce Vita. The woods are warm and succulent, I don't detect flowers or fruits in here.
The bottle is adorable!
Lasting power is superb for an edt, silage above average too.
I am the proud owner of a bottle, that I intend to keep for sure! Highly recommended!

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

I sampled this today, and immediately noticed the sweet resinous aspect. Unfortunately for me that's what lingered, along with a powdery-deodorant type smell. I knew this reminded me of something for men until I read the reviews and the Brut likeness might be what it's reminding me of. Thank goodness for samples because all of the reviews tempted me to blind buy.

Malegria
Malegria

Imperial Opoponax smells like Amaretto on my skin.First impression is sweet orange, smoke, camphor, myrrh - and then this burst of almond tincture. Very interesting turn. I wonder if my sense of smell plays tricks on me or it really has almond note in it.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Sweet, powdery, resinous and absolutely divine. It settles me and makes me go "ahhhhhh".

When it's on my skin, I identify it as a feminine scent, but on a man, I would probably identify it as a masculine scent.

I think it's just perfect.

tsth
tsth

Very warm and comforting fragrance. It is calming. Smells a bit organic, like amber waves of sweet grain and honey. I knew it was fb worthy when I accidently spilled the last bit of my sample on my blanket, and I kept returning to sniff the blanket on my bed. It is a heavenly fragrance.

hollycat
hollycat

Smells a bit medicinal, kind of smellls like an old mans deodorant stick. But something about is appealing in a strange way. Its definately more of a skin scent, and clean smelling, if your into that. the dry down is powdery and comforting. Perfect to where with your most comfortable clothes.

Aalia
Aalia

I had just a tiny sample of this, and it made such a big impression on me. I thought to myself "I could huff this all day". I had never tried an opponax scent before, but, I am a huge fan of myrrh, and straight myrrh. I loved every moment of the scent, from the strong come on to the very buttery and then gentle powdery dry down. I wish it would have lasted longer in mid-notes, it only lasted maybe and hour or so before rushing into the dry down, however, I tested it on a very hot evening.

Zhara
Zhara

The first thoughts that hit me when giving Imperial Opoponax a first sniff was "ahhh - there's the other half."

For years I have reveled in the earthy, spicy and absolutely unconventional delight of Oriental Lumpur, another fine selection from Les Nereides. While it doesn't bother me in the least that Oriental Lumpur has nary any other fragrance save the spices themselves, many others have commented that it "doesn't smell like perfume, it smells like a spice cabinet." That personally is the olfactory bees knees for me, but not for everyone. I've even heard complaint that O.L. "doesn't smell complete."

Imperial Opoponax completes things. I've no doubt, if you were to layer the two together, you'd come a lot closer to a high-end commercial frag, say a Creed or a Hermes. Les Nereides could pour into the same vat these two masterpieces of the niche market world and take on the mainstream if they found the inclination. For all the bold top notes of spice, spice, and um... spice that appears in O.L., Imperial Opoponax is all rich lingering basenotes - heavy, resinous, slightly powdery sweet, but always on the masculine side of it. A true deconstructed work of art.

Not enough can be said about the masculine aire that is here in the sweetness. Resins and the essence of a wood-paneled library with glowing burnished mahogany carells, a vanilla that is indeed the raw pod and no candy, and of course the title character, balsamic, golden, and even a bit boozy - myrrh.

Wonderful lasting power, discreet yet omnipresent silage, rich and unique sweetness with a classical power not frequently seen these days. Here's hoping that availability of Imperial Opoponax increases just a bit on this side of the pond. great stuff.

Eau de moi
Eau de moi

Definitely an oriental woody perfume. And what a lovely one. All the notes mix well together. I was even surprised to find out about the citruses notes listed here. The opening is so great and warm (not cool and fresh as generally with the citruses notes, I guess they are more "orange" ones). Then the scent turns a bit powdery, warm and feminine. My husband and I just love it.

rebella

I promised a better review some time ago, and as I always keep my promises... here it comes.

Imperial Opoponax is a beautiful perfume. The smell reminds me in a strange way of public bath houses or maybe it is the smell of chlorine. And even more strange, I do like it! But I think I am partly unfair to a very pleasant fragrance now, most people maybe not associate chlorine with something they would go around and smell like. So I try to describe it another way... Like a river of the most precious and melted woods, almost like some kind of wooden syrup with the slightest hint of oranges... and chlorine... sorry I can´t help it! I feel happy, comfy and somewhat balmy when I wear this. Maybe the chlorine vapour make me a bit giggeling? No, actually it must be some kind of laughing gas? Well, it makes me happy. After a while the melted wood dries... and instead we have a big pile of golden brown wooden powder. Soft, caressing and lingering... Great for all sexes and circumstanses, but greatestfor colder weather and when you want a great moodlifter!

Yes, offcourse you should try it! And the price is quite nice too! Even tough I find opoponax kind of jawbreaking to say...

mudpach
mudpach

Very-very special, smoothy scent, i like it!:)

DawnLady3
DawnLady3

I think that this is gorgeous - rich, spicy, warm, comforting, long-lasting - and such amazing value! It smells like something way, way more expensive than it is. One of my very favourites - fantastic!

VioletLily
VioletLily

Slightly powdery opoponax, amber, benzoin and hint of citrus, is what Impérial Opoponax is for me when I first apply. It’s a bit too much at first, a little sneezy; but after an hour or so, the vanilla and sandalwood smooth it out a little and it softens quite nicely to a warm, spicy scent, staying that way for a good few hours. It’s a warming fragrance and I can see it could be comforting, but it just doesn’t do anything for me. I find that odd because I love all the notes, but they must mix in such a way on me, that it just doesn’t click. I do think it could be really lovely on a man, kinda husky and sexy maybe. 2.5 lippies for me.

PS: Impérial Opoponax reminds me a tad of Boucheron Jaipur Homme - the notes are quite different, but the dry down is slightly reminiscent. IP has more powder though and not the “Ooooh!” factor of the notes that BJH has for me.

rebella

I have only have it on for about half an hour, but I like it allready. Soft, yet spicy, warm but with something cold as well, powdery, lingering... Really, really nice this time of year. Better review later.

Powdery without being about babies, soft without being floral or specifically feminine. This scent is a wonderful, dreamy cloud of dusted opoponax. A favorite, especially for Fall.

Aiona
Aiona

I tried this perfume because someone told me it smelled like Brut. When tried side-by-side with my husband's aftershave, yeah, it really does kind of smell like Brut. I suppose that its similarities come from the opoponax (myrrh). Even so, it's still quite wearable by either sex. Imperial Opoponax dries down to a more baby-powdery smell, which some might find more feminine, whereas Brut never develops that powdery smell.

Oppoponax by Les Nereides 4.19 out of 5 based on 326 ratings and 71 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Les Nereides Oppoponax fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Les Nereides Oppoponax, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oppoponax by Les Nereides. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oppoponax by Les Nereides represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.