Designers » L » Chypre « Groups

Claiborne for Men Liz Claiborne for men

Claiborne for Men Liz Claiborne for men
dislike

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne is a Chypre fragrance for men. Claiborne for Men was launched in 1989. Top notes are artemisia, melon, lavender, green notes, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are cyclamen, carnation, juniper, jasmine, rose and myrrh; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Artemisia Melon Lavender Green Notes Bergamot Lemon

Cyclamen Carnation Juniper Jasmine Rose Myrrh

Leather Amber Patchouli Musk Oakmoss Cedar

Benetton Verde Man
Essence Musk

Claiborne for Men Fragrance Reviews

Gemini66
Gemini66

I remember the Summer this was released,I waited it seemed 3 Summers length of time till it was available to purchase! I was not disappointed,I remember the sweet smell of the melon is what hit me 1st!It' been over 30yrs since I've worn it and I'm eager to give it another go!This was the frag I used to wear to Revere beach and it garnered many a compliment!summery,sweet and wears great on the skin I remember!

Murfdigidy
Murfdigidy

Are we sure this isn't a women's perfume? Omg this is about as manly as pink tulips. Anyway am I a hater maybe, but I dont necessarily discount feminine smelling colognes especially if girls like it and my take is that they do. With that said I won't be wearing it, way too girly

Dirt Dog
Dirt Dog

I have retired Liz Claiborne to the forget about it shelf. I suppose that it really is a spring and summer scent but I have tried it all 4 seasons and I can only even remotely and partially stand it during winter when the chill covers up its stench. It is a burnt toast breakfast.

I have a cousin that tells me Liz Claiborne is his favorite house and when I saw this one at TJ Maxx with 4 red tag clearance stickers for $7.99 I pulled the trigger and bought it. I should have known better and the bleeding red stickers should have been a clue. This fragrance may be the worst of any that I own and I currently can not think of any others that I like less. It hurts my nose even to think about it. Liz Claiborne is synthetic beyond belief and in an entirely unpleasant nose assault kind of way. I get a couple of hours of I don't hate it usage from it in the mid but mostly it is disgusting and the opening is particularly vile.

Performance is good. And maybe even great. I've worn it for 8 hours and I expect it could go 10 if I so desired. Maybe once or twice I wore it at night and could smell it in the morning. I usually test things that way but with this one, I do not even want to remember. Im sure I ran and not walked to the shower if I smelled it in the morning.

As far as usage goes, I have used it a fair bit. I do not like to be wasteful, and Ive used the bottle down to the plastic black wrapper level. When I say that I use fragrances rather than just collect them, I mean it, and I have a half empty bottle of Liz Claiborne to prove it. I have given it a fair chance in "real" life but mostly these days I wear it on days and situations where I'm away from an easy shower or bath and already stink, or when I am angry. I haven't kept more than a 2 month balance on my credit card for 10 years and yet there are days Bridgette from Cardholder services calls me 15 times a day telling me she can reduce my payments. If I ever get a dinner date with that chick, I will be taking her to the Slop Shoot and wearing 50 sprays of this fragrance as I sit next to her on the escape side of a torn vinyl booth. My favorite part of wearing this fragrance is showering it off and trying to return to a calm somber refreshing mood as a beautiful soap brings me back to tranquility. Buying a backup bottle is unlikely even should I see it at Marshalls for .01 cent. As bad as it is, I should actually like to see and smell a vintage version just to see if it ever had an honest cause to be on shelf with a product anybody could ever want.

Overall, I am going to slam this with a grade of 40 and an F-. It gets points for performance and sillage though I do not want others to smell this on me or even to smell it on myself. It gets points for being a cheap purchase and a value scent and the bottle is a bit avant garde looking. I give it one tick above worthless for scent and smell. Its possible to personally smell worse than this fragrance and sometimes I smell half a tick removed from a prison lice shower; but a fragrance should smell good and this one is metallic, synthetic, poorly blended, and smells decayed and of rotten juice even from the day it is first sprayed. Most likely if you have bathed in the last week you smell better than when you wear Liz Claiborne. And if you haven't, Liz Claiborne might distract you until you can.

There are people that come here that will tell you every fragrance they ever bought or wore is a masterpiece and that anyone with good common sense should immediately run out and buy it so you can be like them. And there are people reviewing fragrances that have 100, 500, even 1000 fragrances and / or have graded each one in their collection, a masterpiece rush out and buy it right now, on every review they have written. Im not one of those reviewers. I've made bad purchases and 95% of my reviews have been on fragrances where I bought a bottle and used it enough that I know its merits and am still man enough to admit that it's sorry juice if it is. I bought Liz Claiborne. Its awful. And I will slam a bad fragrance if I feel its bad, even if most others only review fragrances that cost $100 an ounce and that Elizabeth Taylor wore in France so that they can get balloons on all their reviews. I've worn Liz Claiborne a lot. And I can barely stand it. This is not a review from a one spray and throwaway experience. But I've sat at TJ Maxx looking up Fragrantica reviews on my phone and if you are currently doing the same and see this one for $5 and bleeding from red sticker clearance disease then be warned.

Ok, Ive worn this and its terrible. Andy Tauer just put out a new fragrance that shows a soft romantic sentimental side to being a cowboy. But I really do not think hes ridden all that many ranges in his life. Maybe Liz Claiborne is the real cowboy scent. You know what Cowboys do? They clean cattle tanks. And it is just about as nasty of a job as you could ever hope to find. Over the course of a year, dust will blow into a windmill tank and settle at the bottom. Moss and water plants seem to find it and start to grow and forest the tank. And small critters desperate, dying of thirst, and close to death will sometimes jump into the tank and being unable to escape or get out, will eventually drown, sink to the bottom, and slowly decay in a watery tomb. A couple of times a year when the cattle are in a side pasture, you have to turn the windmill off and let the tank dry for a couple of weeks, put on a face mask, and get a big scoop and shovel out the corpses, mud, and sludge. It is just about as nasty as it sounds and one of the most horrible jobs anyone could ever do. And yet, cows are our friends and they have to drink that filth so it needs to be done. Liz Claiborne is a fragrance for days when you do a job like cleaning a cattle tank or greasing the pipes on its windmill.

There is nothing to like about Liz Claiborne but we all have our days where we are dirty, angry, upset, or in a vile mood or lost sense of humor. And I guess Liz Claiborne is a fragrance for such days.

Everyone has had days of lovely, filling breakfasts that start the day with sunshine and smiles. Sometimes, you get burnt toast.

richdaniels
richdaniels

I agree with most reviews here. Alcohol open with synthetic green/citrus smell.

I got an ounce on eBay for around $5 but I doubt I'll wear it. It could work as a summer scent, like an active day at the beach. But it's too synthetic for a romantic walk on the beach. Gould give you two a headache.

Would not purchase again.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

One word: Nasty

ChaoticBliss
ChaoticBliss

This is the first designer fragrance I had. I got it for Christmas '89. It was my signature fragrance until about the mid 90s. I agree the formula has changed, however, the overall feel of it is enough to bring me back to my teens/early 20s when I wear it. This fragrance will always have a special place in my heart.

stumpbass
stumpbass

A chemical mess. Nuclear citrus waste. Smells synthetic and hurts my soul. The only thing better than finally getting the smell out of my skin (the next day) is the fact that the memory of the harsh abuse my nose suffered has faded (months later).

Wish I could have smelled an older formulation!

AZJeff
AZJeff

I had this cologne when it first came out in the late 80's. I still have the old empty bottle. It smells nice. It's a clean fresh citrus scent with some sweetness to it. It's probably one of the better citrus scents around. So far this scent of all citrus scents I've tried is almost the best one. The only one I like better is"Concentre d'orange verte" by Hermes. I'm not sure if I would get this cologne again as I've tried some other "Claiborne" scents that I think I like better than this one. I think I've moved on to different things for my cologne wardrobe,so I will pass for now in buying this again.

archer12
archer12

I have to agree with I'msooookoool on this one. This was a wonderful affordable scent in the late 70's, early 80's that paved the way for all the other Claibornes to follow. Someone sent me a sample to "refresh" my memory.
This is not at all the same scent - the original Claiborne was fun, accessible, and garnered many positive comments. I'm afraid of going out with this new reformulation - it offers nothing but a synthetic smell that will garner - I'm allergic to perfume - comments.

Please bring back the original!!!!!!!

Just found a bottle of the original formulation. At first it's quite musky but not heavy. Within the first hour it settles down considerably. There is nothing that smells "synthetic" about it, thankfully (and no strong lavender either). Don't expect any strong notes in the drydown but it smells great, and is excellent for a warm day. There is clearly a bit of wood but I can't say I can detect anything that registers as leather. I look forward to wearing this one when the weather gets warm here, to see how it performs then. I don't think this is the kind of composition that does well with cheap reformulations so my guess is that it may now be a "chemical mess" kind of thing.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

When I first bought this fragrance in the early nineties it was nice, fresh, clean and fairly natural. There was something innovative aquatic about it (not that this is an aquatic scent in the standard way - because it's not). I remembered a nice citrus, good lavender and even the oak moss note was smooth. All of it in a wet chypre structure that had stages of progression with a final dry-down of clear amber and something approaching leather.

I don't know how many reformulations it's gone through since then but wow - it now smells very synthetic and metal sharp - it's almost unrecognizable. The original initial wet freshness is gone.
I just bought a bottle a year or two ago and ended up getting rid of it.

If you find a bottle from the early nineties - Lucky you!
Otherwise, I would stay away from it. Too bad, it was once something nice & original - now it smells like a typical although decent sports frag.

shamus1
shamus1

Don't let the low price and the fact that you find this in cheapie stores fool you. This is a great fragrance.

This is a strong, very long lasting dry, green, woody citrus scent, made before woody citrus scents became a fad. The citrus notes seem to last forever, buttressed by lovely green notes. The oakmoss and leather never weigh the fragrance down, but they provide richness and smoothness, and they give it the signature 80s smell.

This is versatile and can be worn any time of year, any place. It will also please both fans of 80s scents and fans of sporty citrus-based scents.

MY RATING: 8/10

Cylore
Cylore

This was my first signature scent, back in the early 90s, so I might be a little biased here, but I really like this stuff. It does have a synthetic quality to it, but its not a BAD synthetic quality. To me it smells like orange peels floating in soapy water. With a wildflower patch nearby (but not too close, this isn't really floral, but there's some depth to it with a green floral tilt) This fragrance also has a salty vibe to it if you smell it right on your skin - it isn't that pleasant. It is much better smelled indirectly.

It is good for about 8-9 hours on my skin. After that it is a typical leather/wood/amber base, which is fine, but not what I want.

I think this is worth a look if you see it cheap at Marshall's/TJMaxx. It is a good, fresh, clean scent for summer that isn't an aquatic at all.

dancinleroy

Irish spring soap all the way.

dancinleroy

this stuff is very common and basic. It's very clean and soapy, and I dont know why people hate clean soapy smells... who doesn't like soap? I like this and for $12 at TJ maxx, I will add it to my collection when some other things run out ( I have 46 others colognes). Very casual, every day masculine clean scent. It's good.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Now this is a walk down memory lane if you like strong/fresh chypres from the late 80's/early 90's. Along with others, it was part of my rotation for wearing. By and large, it wasn't bad.

But everything already said about it being a somewhat synthetic perfume with a bit of everything and a clear identity crisis...that aptly describes this scent. It's leather...no, wait, it's a fresh citrus...no no, it's a chypre. Heck, it was nice for whatever it was, suitable for daily wear, not overly strong or off-putting, inoffensive and good for office wear. It was well-balanced so that it wasn't as pungent as Polo Sport or others of the subsequent period.

In short, as artificial as it might have been, I liked it and it filled that niche of a fresh spring/summer fragrance despite it being somewhat quaint by current standards. Interesting department store frag that I do miss.

andy

its really an out dated dry chypre 1980s category fragrance that is fairly outdated for todays standards

MustardGas
MustardGas

I Got This For Free And Still Didn't Even Wear It :(
I Used It To Spray My Trailor After I Smoked
Doesn't Really Have A Good Smell Anyways
It Kinda Starts Smelling Like Cheap 99 Cent Cologne After Like 30 Min

I had a vintage mini, which evaporated, but it didn't smell as bad as some of these reviews suggest, so my guess is that it was reformulated. Find an old bottle if you want to give this one a try is my advice !

andy

it is a chemical chypre and a total disaster, the lady at the scent counter totally hated this smell when she got a whiff of it.

not reccomended!

Instead, try curve soul or claiborne sport and you will be pleasantly surprised

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

One of those cheap-smelling laundry detergent musk scents. The jasmine stands out the most, penetrating a thick heart of chemical citruses and spices. The drydown gives way to a raspy black pepper and musk accord. Everything is thin, artificial, and poorly-balanced. I recall buying a shirt made by Liz Claiborne, and wearing it to work. It lasted an hour before it ripped. That's the same kind of quality craftsmanship on display here in this scent. Save the pieces.

emille55
emille55

Hi,
I bought this scent when I returned from my 1st deployment overseas in 1989.Encountering this scent, I noted the top notes, which to me was fresh and clean, like linen. Then afterwards, the bottom notes were rather earthy and alive. This stayed with me and it caused me to enjoy this scent more.

If you want something to wear to the office or to some daytime event, then this is it. It's not over powering, but alive and fresh. I know some will not agree with me, but maybe their nose isn't quite in tune with this.

Most people I encountered like what I was wearing and most times this was it. Cheers!

A stunning late eighties male chypre from Liz C, my first encounter with this was at Marshalls and I think it must have turned or something; because, it smelled like a 20 year old bottle of Avon's Weekend (EEWW!) to me. However, when I ordered this one from Midtown Perfumes on the strength of the reviews here, it was a wonderous light men's scent that grew on me and got better as it went...

This begins with an effervescent citrus and faint fruitiness accented by greens (fresh and slightly bitter)and soft lavender note. My first impression was 'ginger ale'-because of it's light bubbly scent and overall smooth sweetness and surprisingly there is no ginger in this! As it starts to dry the juniper becomes apparent, the refined flowers bloom and the myrrh adds a resiny incense-like feel that is just out of this world. Perhaps the myrrh and juniper had 'taken over' in the one I tried at Marshalls. This is different from a lot of eighties scents, and the bottle is peculiar; though, I find the three different shapes and colors an excellent metaphor for the three distinct and seperate phases of this juice. This changes alot on me and each time I get a whiff of it it's slightly different, and I dig that. The ultimate drydown is manly with leather, musk and oakmoss and despite the patchouli, amber and cedar never gets TOO aromatic and finishes very clean on me with an ever so sensual earthiness. Very nice and much less intense than the listed notes would have you believe...

Sillage: good
Longevity: above average
Overall: 3.75/5

If you want something that has a little bit of everything and not too much of anything, Claiborne is for you. I am so glad I found this one after my tastes became a little more refined. If I had smelled this 5 years ago, I would have left it behind and missed out on a quirky and unique fragrance...they don't make them like this anymore!

ObsessionForMen
ObsessionForMen

One of the first fresh scents that didn't rely too heavily on citrus (YSL PH, Eau Sauvage, Armani PH, etc. just smell like lemon water). A surprisingly well composed fragrance. Great lasting power I might add. What were they thinking with that flacon?

raverdudes
raverdudes

Claiborne for Men stands out for several reasons: a) it is one of the few bergamot-heavy frags I really like, b) it receives little attention on Basenotes, probably because of its modest price,c) it has superb longevity, d) it has wonderful sillage (strong but not "crazy strong"), e) it always garners me tons of compliments and, finally, f) it's the only offering from Claiborne that doesn't bore me to tears and/or make me want to retch.

A very nice late Eighties/early Nineties cheapie -- snarf it up before it all disappears from the shelves forever.

guynspfld
guynspfld

This was my first adult colonge and I do miss it.....I wore it well into college until I could no longer find it. It is very fresh and refreshing with the citrus notes, but they are toned down by wonderful leather, patchouli and oakmoss.....Too bad Claiborne doesnt make anything now that isn't "hip". SUCH A CLASSIC!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Liz Claiborne Claiborne for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Liz Claiborne Claiborne for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.