Designers » L » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Ecusson Long Lost Perfume for women

Ecusson Long Lost Perfume for women
dislike

aldehydic

Ecusson, from 1948, originally belonged to the Jean D'Albert brand. Top notes: lemon, cassis, iris and aldehydes. Heart: ylang-ylang, geranium, jasmine, violet leaves, carnation and roses. Base: vetiver, oak moss, vanilla, sandalwood and powdery notes.

Available as 3.5, 15, 30 and 120 ml EDT.

Amalfi Lemon Cassis iris Aldehydes

Carnation Jasmine Geranium Ylang-Ylang Rose Violet Leaf

vetyver Sandalwood oak moss Vanille

Ecusson Fragrance Reviews

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I just got my mini perfume, vintage 1952 or so from research. It is a bottle shaped like a shield, in a clear plastic case with ridges around it and was sealed with yellow paper tape with black pen images of Paris on it. Seems to have never been used until now. Though quite old it still opens with aldehyde and a scent i'm not familiar with and a small hint of lemon (i'm new to Fragantica and am still learning the notes). I think it,s iris. Smells like that scent in Prada infusion d'iris which i can't stand -- and tried so hard to love because Miss Oprah did.

OK - about an hour later it was a lovely powdery vanilla, woody, maybe some oakmoss. A familiar and favorite smell. Reminds me a bit of Chanel 22 in the dry-down. There is no fruit, sugar or anything screaming about this beautiful fragrance. I have never smelled anything quite like it, especially in the opening and middles.

While it won't be my favorite, it is worthy on the vanity. Vintage Ecusson does it's own thing, makes it's own music and dances like no one is watching.

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

BOOOO! Why don't you have the original in here? It was the original by D'Albret that I wore.

There are a few bottles of the original on Ebay right now, plus a bottle of bath oil!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

The Jean d'Albret version was one of the first bottles of perfume I ever bought when I started work in the early 1970's. I was reminded of it when I saw it had been re-created by Long Lost Perfume, and just bought a bottle, and am wearing it again today for the first time in 40 years. I must say it is EXACTLY how I remember it. Although, sadly, oakmoss is now disallowed in perfumery, whatever the chemical reproduction of it is, it works! It is really heavy on the oakmoss, but has a powdery and subtle floral heart, no citrus or vanilla that I can detect. It is a strong woody chypre with quite heavy sillage, and is lasting for hours on me. I don't believe this got the attention it deserved back in the 70's, as it was competing with a lot of the classic heavies of the time. I can't see the similarity to L'Origan that others have mentioned...but maybe a distant cousin?

To the reviewers who used to wear the orginal and are nervous about the new formulation, go ahead and try it because it has not been tampered with to any great extent.

EDIT: I put this on at approx. 11 a.m. - now midnight and still going as strong as it was initially. This will need a shower and scrub to come off, but I HAVE enjoyed it all day.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Écusson was one of the first bottles of perfume in my vintage collection of scents. I have a 1/2 ounce bottle of the parfum , which judging from the other bottles I've seen, is from the 1960's or earlier. The ground glass stopper was frozen on when I acquired it and it remained that way for years. When I finally got curious enough to get the top open, I dismissed the scent, as my nose and my perfume knowledge were not yet sophisticated enough to understand Écusson and place it within a context at that time. This morning I put it on after all these years and I can finally say I "get it". While it won't make my TOP 25 list, I can say that it is a very soft, beautiful and well-blended aldehydic, powdery, floral with a base of soft woods, vanilla and musk. If you like Chanel No. 5, L'Interdit and other powdery florals in that vein, you'll love Écusson, because it's very smooth. I can say that I like this enough that I'll now be reaching for it more often, especially on those mornings when I need something soft and mellow to start my day. Sillage is moderate.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I was so happy to find the posts about this perfume. I had never heard of it but lucky me, it was part of a little box of vintage perfumes I just bought on Ebay for a very fair price. From the other perfumes in the box and the older frayed gold label and older script on the Ecusson bottle it appears to be from late 50's most likely, early 60's. This is such a lovely scent. As with most vintage perfumes, I hardly got any of the top notes, maybe a tiny whiff of freshness in the lemon, then it went to the middle notes, lovely flowers and big rose, jasmine and carnation. What I like about the perfume is that it is so well balanced with the basenotes of oakmoss and vetiver. I especially like the warmness of he sandalwood which has lasted very well. I can tell this is going to be a new favorite. It is so soft and romantic with real depth from the basenotes. I detect a clovey scent that I really love. Right now it's on a piece of paper but it's going on my skin now since I was huffing it off the paper. Oh dear!

Thanks to those of you who shared your lovely memories of buying this perfume on your honeymoon. So romantic, it really adds to my enjoyment of the perfume.

bugmenot1
bugmenot1

Again, as with Casaque, you have misspelled the name of the company. It is not Jean D'Albert. It is Jean D'Albret.

Thank goodness for "long-lost" or many of us would have to suffer without our favorites.

Alexandrarae
Alexandrarae

This perfume is the most stunningly beautiful fragrance I have ever worn. Was given it by a very dear friend when I was in my late twenties (now just turned 70!) Have never forgotten it - I used to buy what was called "Veil of Eccuson" which was lovely to wear - was like a very silky smooth lotion - only needed to apply once and it lingered all day. So many people used to ask me "what are you wearing it's gorgeous?" It was so different from anything else - not known by many people but those of us who knew about it kept it a bit of a secret! I was devastated when it was no longer available. Like Sassy 1 I used to wear L'Origan too which has also been discontinued. Next best thing to Eccuson was the original Nina which,surprise surprise, has been replaced by a red apple sugary teeny bopper fragrance so unlike the original it's ridiculous. So much catering for the teenagers and not for us real women.
It's a bit sad - have never found anything that I loved more that Eccuson. Please bring it back in it's original formulation - I am sure there are enough of us out there that would be ecstatic to see it back on the shelves.

Judy Walter
Judy Walter

I also bought Ecusson on my honeymoon! In Bermuda in 1967.

Nothing, nothing, has ever been able to replace this enchanting fragrance for me. It was my signature and I rarely told anyone its name.........

I'm reluctant to try LLP's version because I only wore the perfume. D'Albret's EDT was too different.

Still miss it after all these years.

eleanoreann
eleanoreann

I bought this originally on my honeymoon in Jamaica in 1958. For some years I was able to buy it only in upper-end department stores, last of all only in John Wanamaker. That classic, classy store also eventually closed. Ecusson disappeared from my marketing capabilities, and I had to move on to other scents. Even my friends missed it, because it was all I wore and was rather known for it. I even tried to find it in Vienna in 1985, but the saleswomen were so young they had never heard of it! About two years ago, when I first started to explore the internet and found eBay, I actually found a bottle of the Eau de Cologne. It came in the original packaging, unopened, and proved to be just as endearing a fragrance as I had remembered. I have no experience of the new product.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I am in possession of a vintage .25oz bottle of this one in pure parfum, Jean D'Albret version. It took me well over a year to find out what it was as there were no labels on the curvy bottle with pointy red top. Thank goodness for Ebay or I'd still be wondering.
Based on the maroon plastic cap, I'd date the bottle I have to the '80's so not sure if it is the original scent or a reform.
The jus itself is very rich, full bodied and deep, verging on a floral chypre. The top is more orange than lemon, full of aldehydes. There's a slight clove nuance and it's hauntingly powdery. It's only slightly sweet, the base notes are well blended with no one note sticking out and is very smooth and comforting. The oakmoss and vetiver stand out the most in the drydown.

I used to wear L'Origan in the '70's and if I remember correctly, the two are very similar. Also seems alot like the old Chloe, same family.
I like it very much.

Update: Since this was discontinued in the 70's, my bottle's about a decade older than I thought. Still smells wonderful!

Ecusson by Long Lost Perfume 3.94 out of 5 based on 36 ratings and 10 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Long Lost Perfume Ecusson fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Long Lost Perfume Ecusson, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ecusson by Long Lost Perfume. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ecusson by Long Lost Perfume represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.