Designers » L » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Sortilege Long Lost Perfume for women

Sortilege Long Lost Perfume for women
dislike

Sortilege, perfume from 1937, originally belonged to Le Galion. Bright, floral - oriental and powdery scent, it is very sophisticated.

Top notes: bergamot, peach, aldehydes, orange blossom. Heart: lily of the valley, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, violet, lilac, and orris root. Base: musk, oak moss, sandalwood, vetiver, tonka, vanilla, oppoponaks, styrax and amber.

Available as 3.5, 15, 30 and 120 ml EDT.

The nose behind this fragrance is Paul Vacher.

African Orange flower Bergamot Peach Aldehydes

Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Orris Root Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Violet Lilac

vetyver Musk Sandalwood Opoponax oak moss Amber Styrax Tonka Bean Vanille

Sortilege Fragrance Reviews

allexa
allexa

I found it on eBay for $18 for 1/4 fl oz. It has a green box with white laced flowers on top and inside in the box. The perfume opens with very sharp and loud accord of unrecognisable medley. In 20 minutes woody-balsamic mix comes up on my skin, then resins and something like dried fruit with a hint of vanilla. It disappear completely in about 1 hour. Not so good aftertaste. I'll give it 3/10

roseau
roseau

I've just purchased a huge 250 ml vintage bottle for (almost) nothing. The label, covered with stains, says "Le Galion". Lucky me. It arrived today. Sublime and melancholic, it has torn some tears from my eyes.

weegee
weegee

Sortilege by Le Galion is the first perfume I recall from childhood and the genesis of my life-long love affair with fragrance, aldehydic ones in particular..

When I was only 4 or 5 years old my father won a sales contest at work and chose a 1oz bottle of Sortilege parfum extrait in a fascinating crystal bottle with a glass stopper for my mom. Even though she didn't care for the fragrance she wore it for special occasions because it was a gift from my father (good advice for anyone who receives a gift of fragrance from a loved one!). While preparing to go out my mom would put her red hair in a french twist and dab that little crystal stopper on her neck and wrists and then would dab some on me, making me feel very special, indeed.

A few years ago I found the very same bottle, still sealed and in the same green and white box, from an auction site and I was instantly swept back 50+ years to my parents' bedroom, watching my mom open her bureau drawer to take out that that scent of heaven. Without hesitation I hit that "buy it now" button and a week later, for just $40.00 (!!!!) my childhood arrived in my mailbox.

There's no reason to purchase the Long Lost version when so many bottles of the original are still available on-line. I realize my emotional connection to this fragrance means no one will experience it as I do but if you love aldehydes Sortilege belongs in your collection. There's a honey-sweetness and oakmoss bite that's very "French" and truly intoxicating. The edt & edp have soft sillage and stay close to the skin but you'll know it's there for 8-10 hours. If you splurge on a bit of the extrait you'll have wider sillage and 12-14 hour longevity. With any concentration I promise you will feel like a queen!

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

Can someone please tell me what the New version by Long Lost Perfumes is like? Most noticable notes, how long it lasts, whether it smells chemical or natural, etc. (I can't find it anywhere to try.)

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I got the parfum de toilette, Le Galion version today. Very bright and aldehydic, am I the only one getting a Chanel No5 vibe? This might be a good bridge to me better getting No5. This smells very vintage, but not in the dark syrupy way. I can't imagine this scent premiering in this age, but it is more French and composed than old-fashioned.

calliope07
calliope07

Had the vintage. Heady, and marvelous! Smelled like peach brandy tastes.

RitaLMc
RitaLMc

I have the original Le Galion Sortilege parfum and it is marvelous. You don't even have to wait until dry-down to be swept away to heaven. I have no experience, however, with the newer, Long Lost Perfume version of this fragrance.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Thanks to a dear fellow Fragrantican, I was able to sample both the EDT and the vintage extrait. Obviously popular in its time as it was a scent that was offered in vintage perfume vending machines.

Sortilege is definitely a perfume that bears a classic signature. Both open with peachy aldehyde notes, rather lipstick-like and strong.

The EDT is rather a fresher peach though, actually fresher all the way through, yet all the classic notes of perfumes from this era are detectable as both the extrait and EDT develop--ylang-ylang, rose and jasmine in the heart, lilac differentiating this a little from other classics; oakmoss rather prominent in the clean, rich yet medium weight base.

The extrait is obviously stronger, but not overly so with the flowers being featured and lilac remaining distinct. EDT is fresher and lighter and the fruit is more obvious in the drydown which wears like a delicately powdered veil.

Overall, both versions are nicely balanced and finish not too heavily. EDT is perhaps more wearable for this era, but if you're a big fan of classic peach aldehydes, try the vintage too if you can get your hands on it.

Sortilege by Long Lost Perfume 4.23 out of 5 based on 33 ratings and 8 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Long Lost Perfume Sortilege fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Long Lost Perfume Sortilege, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sortilege by Long Lost Perfume. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sortilege by Long Lost Perfume represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.