Designers » M » Oriental Floral « Groups

Ylang in Gold M. Micallef for women

Ylang in Gold M. Micallef for women
dislike

yellow floral
Ylang in Gold M. Micallef for women Pictures Ylang in Gold M. Micallef for women Pictures

Ylang in Gold was introduced to the public in 2012, part of the COLLECTION JEWEL. Ylang-ylang plays a special role in Micallef's recent releases. The notes of this fragrance were kept a secret until launch.

Ylang in Gold is composed of a balanced floral bouquet warmed by sunny notes evoking the islands: ylang-ylang, sandalwood, coconut and vanilla. Applied to the skin, Ylang in Gold leaves a delicate and refined pearly-golden veil that shimmers on the skin. Available as 100 ml EDP The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Claude Astier.

Peach Litchi Fruity Notes Tangerine Geranium Sage Rosemary Artemisia Bitter Orange

Ylang-Ylang Rose Sandalwood Lily-of-the-Valley Magnolia Mint

Frangipane

Ylang in Gold Fragrance Reviews

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

Archivist's review is spot on, as usual. To me this smells like a boozy sweet silky smooth Ylang fruity concoction that I will get drunk on when I wear it.
Right now, I'm plastered.

Thanks to the ever stellar Archivist for this jewel of a swap.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Wow, this is a beautiful fragrance. Ylang-Ylang is unmistakably satiny smooth, I loved to wear it.

The opening is a blend of citrus and fruits with bitter herbal nuances. The sweet, floral Ylang Ylang comes through, oh my, it is such a rich whipped cream ylang ylang on my skin. It is creamy on a base of vetiver, musk, coconut and vanilla. The coconut is so nice, reminding me of my time in the Bahamas where they give you a coconut with a straw in it, and you try tasting the flesh after drinking. Natural, milky, fleshy coconut.
Warm, delicious tropical fruits, coconut, and delicate citrus serve as a backdrop for the rich ylang-ylang and vanilla.

Staying power on my skin is all day and sillage is great.

shushkin
shushkin

Yes, I can immediately understand why folk have said about similarity to Fragonard Miranda and Chopard Casmir. I own both the Fragonard and the Chopard which are both much more robust and often complimented upon. This is not as sweet and has (not surprisingly) more ylang. I own two Micallef fragrances and they are both more potent. Its really surprising that a fragrance called ylang can be so almost wishy washy. The ylang ylang note by its very nature is strong. This fragrance baffles me. Sometimes it is weak and then others it blooms and is magical.

victoria.mei1992
victoria.mei1992

It stays very close to the skin, very weak.

Maymouna
Maymouna

I had been looking for something new, refreshing and clean, and I watched a review fragrance by 'Jeremy' on youtube, reviewing the top 5 fragrances for women. His number one was this, but 'in Gold'. I'm not sure what the difference would be, except for the shimmering particles. So because of Jeremy's very animated and ecstatic description of Ylang in Gold, I just had to try it. So I realised that I couldn't try this anywhere near me in the UK, so I went to the boutique website and got the women's Discovery Booklet which contained just the Ylang (not the one 'in Gold'). It arrived in the post, and oh my goodness. I felt I had found something so dreamy, unique, sophisticated, creamy, fresh, pure, and blended to perfection. I said to myself, how could I have not known about M.Micallef? Maybe it's because of exclusivity, or maybe it's because the brand is not appreciated enough here in the UK. If a fragrance can be categorised as Divine (as there is nothing higher than this description for me), then Ylang is very, very, close to it. I am so, so, happy I got this. The sillage and longevity is excellent and I just can't get over how well-blended this fragrance is - you get an appreciation of the different notes, but in such a balanced way – they do not overpower each other, but they make a beautiful 'appearance' almost one by one, as you are ‘hit’ at different moments while wearing this, but at the same time, you know the notes are being carried by each other a the same time - I don't know how else to describe.

The notes listed on the packaging are:

Top Notes: Sage, Rosemary, Artemisia

Middle Notes: Mint, Magnolia, Ylang

Base Notes: Coconut, Musk, Moss

There is a warm, plush-velvety characteristic about this fragrance – perhaps because of the Musk, Sage and Moss, but it also presents itself as cold and very creamy – maybe the Mint, Coconut and Ylang; and both sets of notes smell like they are being suspended by the silkiness of Artemisia – the woody quality of this fragrance is definitely present too. The ingredients are just so pure and excellently blended! (I know I said that already). :-)

I of course, ran out of the sample vile but before I did, I went ahead and purchased the bottle from the online boutique (free delivery within Europe). This is a repeat buy for me, most definitely. I have enjoyed wearing this throughout the day and the night, in Winter, but I can imagine wearing a couple of sprays of this in the summer too.

This is so sophisticated and feminine, and for me, this is 10/10.

Musky4
Musky4

This review is for Ylang, not Ylang In Gold, which I understand is exactly the same perfume, just without the gold particles.
I first became aware of this perfume whilst watching a video of a male reviewer's list of the top 5 sexiest woman's fragrances. This was at no. 1, with La Nuit Tresor (one of my favourite perfumes), at no. 2. As I had never heard of Ylang In Gold before, I read some reviews and was intrigued by the comparison to Casmir, which I adore. I immediately added Ylang to my want list, and was lucky enough to be offered a small decant of this by a very kind member here at Fragrantica. I have been wearing Ylang now since I received it a couple of days ago and must say how delighted I am with it. I can absolutely see the resemblance to Casmir, it's just as sweet, but Ylang has more of a floral tropical vibe than Casmir. Interestingly I also notice a slight similarity with La Nuit Tresor - they do share some notes in common, for example the lychee, rose and woody notes. Ylang also has something in common with the beautiful and sadly discontinued Alchimie, as the previous reviewer noted, but to a lesser degree. If you combined Casmir, La Nuit Tresor and Alchimie, you'd probably end up with Ylang! The quality of Ylang is evident and the longevity is excellent. This is one of those perfumes that I'd like to bathe in! I can imagine how wonderful it would be to wear this with a stunning evening gown. I do think the addition of the gold sheen would make it extra special. The only downside for me is that it is so similar to Casmir (and so much more expensive) that I couldn't justify buying myself a bottle while I still have a large unopened backup bottle of Casmir... I might have to put off buying this beauty for some time, but it will definitely stay on my want list. This is definitely a signature-worthy perfume and yes, very, very sexy.

archivist
archivist

This is a heavenly concoction. Warm, fluffy, sweet, creamy, rich, incredibly well-blended, almost a whipped tropical custard - but it has enough floralcy from the lychee magnolia, and enough depth from musk and sandalwood, to remain an oriental avoid gourmand territory. I wear a LOT of incense and spice orientals that are smoky, dark, spicy - I like olfactory jewel tones, perfume tones that equivalent to the color intensity of stained glass. Ylang is tropical and bright, but has such depth and opulence (rare, soooo rare that a perfume's juice is equally as opulent as its bottle, usually you get one or the other) and it just... really, genuinely glows. It feels so warm and rich, golden light, a warm apricot sunset capping off a summer day. I have been lying down with my arm draped over my nose like a lady swooning on a Victorian fainting couch. Just... Luxuriating in it.

I see no similarity at all to Hanae Mori, I think there's a lot of wishful thinking involved in that - the usual "this cheapie smells just like this spendy" thing (like Cologne des Missions supposedly smelling like SDV) lemming parade that so rarely leads to satisfaction... I mean, you COULD call a Twinkie a genoise with chantilly filling, but... It's still a Twinkie. It's still going to smell like chemicals and leave you feeling kind of eh.

This reminds me very, very much of Ananda Dolce, also by Micallef - same peach and magnolia, but minus all the almond of Ananda Dolce.

It is also very similar to Peche Cardinal by MDCI, except (fortunately for me) with magnolia for the white floral instead of tuberose, a note with which I simply do not get along.

But more than anything else, this is the olfactory twin of a perfume I once bought at TJ Maxx, a perfume which I loved so much - but because I love my mother more, and because she liked it, I gave my bottle to her. Not too many years later, when I went looking for another bottle of it (didn't find any for repurchase back then) I discovered that it costs a bloody fortune on ebay now, having been discontinued, even though it is not a luxury house perfume... Because it just smells that good.

People were (and apparently are) willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it instead of moving on to Peau de Peche or Peche Cardinal. The ebay auctions have calmed a bit, but it's still pricey.

That scent is Alchimie, by Rochas. Is it a clone, a dupe, identical? Not quite. I remember Alchemie having a bit more floralcy to it, a somewhat different balance - but in general, the similarity is on point.

Also: this BOTTLE. Photos can't do it justice. The teeny, tiny, wee bitty Swarovskis are placed in a somewhat tight and random non-pattern, so no matter what angle you look at it, there is blue and apricot and gold and silver "fire" shimmering off the bottle. Between that and the hammered gold plating on the cap and collar... It really is gorgeous.

To Anneliise Zissler:
Yes, Ylang (without gold) is the same, but Ylang in Gold have a little bit higher longevity, as the gold shimmer is fragranced too. Thus this shimmer additionally fixes Ylang when sitting on your body/hair/clothes.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Beautiful, really lovely. The fruit isn't that obvious, it's not a fruit salad of a scent, it's just a perfect counterpoint to the superb quality ylang and the musk. At various points you can detect all the notes, but it's so perfectly blended and balanced, it's a pleasure to wear. I got a very good price on my bottle, so I was lucky. Very creamy and sensual, quite addictive. 10/10!

Lana148
Lana148

This is adorable!

Mix of delicious fruits, coconut, ylang-ylang and vanilla. It reminds me of the tropics. Perhaps some delicious tropical cocktail, the smell of the breakfast in a open restaurant, in a tropical resort: fresh fruit salad and French waffles made with better quality vanilla and topped with condensed milk.

Just delicious! This fragrance is a little sweet and although, I lately, can`t tolerate sweet fragrance, I find this irresistible.

Dry-down is very soft and sensuous. Really good quality fragrance.

anneliise.zissler
anneliise.zissler

i have just Micallef "Ylang" is it the same perfume only with shimmer?

malik2011
malik2011

UMMMM, This one is really stunning. Quality, projection, silage as well as the purity of its ingredients make it a standout among others of the same category.
What i enjoy rather than smell is the rich creamy Ylang note along with the very fine undertone fruity notes which plays well in the background just to keep this MASTERPIECE shining more and more.

* Very Delicious You ARE.

Anna in El Progreso
Anna in El Progreso

Creamy gold melting with the skin.
Vanilla, a hint of coconut and a delicate ylang surrounds you all day and night.

Longevity is excellent.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Ylang in Gold is slightly sweeter than Casmir, sugary in fact, so if you don't like sugary perfumes obviously you won't like this!

I can detect the slight hint of mint, which opens it out a little, but there's lots of vanilla. The fruity aspect is good quality - i.e. it doesn't smell like ice-cream sauce or nasty additives

It's pretty, summery, yet rich and I think it will be very popular for people who enjoy a flirty summer floral of decent quality

But I agree it has much in common with Casmir, which is a good economical alternative, but, Ylang in Gold is sweeter and lighter, less oriental

This is not really my style. Every so often I'll dip into sweeter or more fruity perfumes, but I usually prefer green perfumes, chypres and woody orientals so it's absolutely about what style you prefer

Sillage and longevity are good - moderate, neither too soft or loud

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

Ever since its release, I wanted so badly to try Ylang in Gold. I don’t know why it took me so long to test it; a reason for it might have been that I was afraid to want such an expensive perfume. Every time I fall in love with a perfume which sells for several hundred dollars a bottle, I curse fate for bringing me such loveliness that I cannot afford let alone justify buying it. Trying this on my skin, however, has been a positive and a negative experience, both aspects from which I will benefit. Negative aspect: I loved it at first sniff. This automatically puts it in the category of “Too Expensive”. Positive aspect: It's two fold... Firstly, it’s simply too gorgeous for words! Without looking at any of the notes, I get a fruity opening followed by a trace of Ylang Ylang. Secondly, about 30 minutes into the drydown, I get fruity, powdery Vanilla pudding with less-than-dominant Ylang Ylang with tremendous sillage and longevity. In short, I get an ever-so-slightly fruitier version of Hanae Mori (Parfum version.) If I was asked to blindly smell and identify this on my skin, I’d say “Hanae Mori Parfum” without hesitation. Are the ingredients more expensive/pure/rare/loftier/so much more uber-awesome than the mass marketed Hanae Mori? I’m sure of it. Does that make any difference as far as the end result? No. And that, folks, is the BEST news. I get to keep my beloved Hanae Mori and several hundred dollars in my pocket. For those of you who would like to buy this but cannot afford it, seek out a sample of this. If you like it, go purchase the pocket-friendlier Hanae Mori Parfum version (Pink Butterfly). It’s essentially the same thing.

mysterious_scent
mysterious_scent

In my opinion, Ylang by M. Micallef is the golden standard for ylang fragrances. It opens with a blast of sweet ylang mixed with white flowers and coconut. It smoothes down after 15 minutes and remains a sweet, coconut-y floral scen. I smell a faint sandalwood in the end. The ylang note is prominent from beginning to end. I don't find it very tropical or too sweet. I can understand some people might find it too heady or floralry, but I love heady floral scents.
Longevity: about 8 hours

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Gorgeous soft vanilla and creamy ylang scent with refreshing citrus notes and woods for balance. I see the comparisons to Casmir and to Hanae Mori; they are similar scent profiles. However, I think this is a superior blend with superior ingredients. This is the most beautiful ylang scent I have ever smelled. It is glorious and the vanilla is superb as well. I would love a bottle of this fragrance.

ultracat
ultracat

I'll admit I have a love-hate relationship with vanilla fragrances. There are so many bubblegummy, cheap-smelling vanillas out there that I find myself shying away from scents with vanilla notes. So I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It's a warm mix of ylang-ylang and vanilla. There's a hint of the orange and enough sandalwood to keep it dry, give it an edge, stop it from being sickly sweet (though it's definitely sweet). The drydown is a warm honeyed vanilla. Definitely a sexy fragrance.

divadani
divadani

Hmm, this reminds me of a perfume that I knew when I was a kid (15-20 yrs ago), and for the life of me, I cannot remember what that perfume was. In any case, this is sweet, syrupy, cake-like. It's a pretty scent. I'm not sure what ylang smells like, so I can't say how true it is to the natural source. I love Micallef fragrances, but to be honest, I don't feel that this one is anything special. Medium longevity, and fairly linear.

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

An expensive dupe for Chopard Casmir. Seriously. Lovely bottle, scent and i like the shimmer very much, but why to buy it when I can have Casmir for 1/5 of thr price?

Nancy Lynn
Nancy Lynn

A less juicy version of Hanae Mori. This is ever so slightly dryer than HM, the dryness comes off almost oud like, perhaps this is from the sandalwood oakmoss combo, but it dissipates. I have Hanae Mori on one hand and MM Ylang on the other and they are remarkably similar, the only difference is the price. I have to say I prefer Hanae Mori, M. Micalleff Ylang dries down softer, lighter and a little too common smelling. Both are fruity and vanilla sweet, the vanilla in this just smells too powdery, someone commented here as "dusty", smells like I put Hanae Mori on then rubbed some cheap mall brand vanilla lotion on it.

Ylang opens up beautifully when first sprayed, but the Ylang fades and then that oud-like note pokes around a bit then it turns into Hanae Mori. I am not saying I don't like it but you can't call it niche and charge $250 for it when you can get something so similar at the mall for a fraction of the price. In the end it really is about the juice for me, yes the presentation here is beautiful, but it smells too much like Hanae Mori for me to appreciate it as anything more than a "smells like" frag.

Mals86
Mals86

A pretty fragrance.

I'm not finding it to be very complex or very daring, but that is not really the point of this scent, which reminds me a bit of a tropical drink, consumed on a white sandy beach with a flower stuck in one's hair. It's not the sort of thing that I usually want to wear, and it's a little on the sweet side, but there is something endearing about a fragrance which simply smells nice.

Gentle citrus notes give way to a pleasant blend of ylang and rose, undergirded with quite a lot of vanilla, a bit of what seems to be coconut, and some cushy musk.

I think the bottle is pretty, although I admit that I never buy a fragrance for the bottle alone. I would point out that first, the bottle holding gold-shimmer perfume is exactly the same cost as the clear liquid bottle, and second, this fragrance is priced similarly to other Micallef offerings. I rarely buy anything in that price range, unless it's something spectacular (Amouage Memoir Woman comes to mind), and so far I haven't been able to call anything from this line spectacular.

All the same, it is a VERY pretty fragrance.

Bettany87
Bettany87

Very creamy, very sweet and highly addictive. I applied some on my wrist and I cannot stop sniffing and closing my eyes to take it all in. Rich vanilla and ylang are the prominent notes. I also get whiffs of very faint citrus notes that somehow helps balance out the ultra luscious character of this luxurious scent during the dry down. Tremendous lasting power on me, I applied it before bedtime and woke up with the scent still lingering on my skin. I adore this gorgeous Micallef creation.

yara2000
yara2000

One of the best ..by the way the two versions have the same price.

It is described as a scent that evokes faraway places, for me though I dont get that.It is a bit dusty,a bit spicy and I agree it compares to Casmir Chopard.The scent is quite mature, and certainly not exotic nor fresh.I am glad I bought a 10ml, I would be wasting money buying the 100ml
The ylang ylang is also quite present, but in my opinion the wormwood gives it that dusty antique edge.It is my first Micallef and it isnt one that would work for me!!

Red Rose
Red Rose

I agree wth Claudia, the bottle is so pretty. I sniffed the fragrance in a hurry but all I catched is sweet vanilla. Too bad as vanilla gives me headach :(

e-lena crimea

Very-very-very similar to Chopard Casmir. Very sweet and lovely. I like it for its extreme sweetness, but... May be it will be better to find Casmir, that costs not so much as Ylang in Gold?? Similar frags but not similar prices. I think, that such high-priced perfume MUST have more individuality. Meanwhile it`s very pretty fragrance - I want it, but not for its price, it doesn`t costs such money.

claudia0219
claudia0219

I think everybody has their own opinion about certain perfume houses. In this case I am a HUGE fan of the Micallef fragrances including the new one called Ylang in Gold. Yes it does have a shimmer in the fragrance and I personally love it. Just like some people purchase the MDCI fragrance bottles with the bust, I decided to buy a 100ml bottle of Ylang in Gold with the gold shimmer in it. Not only is the fragrance beautiful as many fragrances from this house are, I also feel that their bottles are works of art. The shimmer is an added bonus for me, I love it. And if you don't go for that sort of thing just don't buy it. I feel the Micallef fragrances are well worth the money for the fragrances and the beautiful bottles they come in.

Ártemis
Ártemis

Leaving the discussions about the appearance of this perfume by side, the juice in itself is divine!! I normally don’t care much about the bottles and I also don’t appreciate shimmering particles in perfumes (unless they are really discrete), but I must confess I was attracted by the fancy shop window from Micallef in Cannes… I recently spent 2 weeks in the south of France and had already bought lots of perfumes in Grasse and Cassis, so I took the resolution to focus on other shopping possibilities and not buying any further perfume in Cannes… but I could not help myself when passing in front of Micallef’s Boutique… I just had to try the liquid inside such gorgeous bottles… Ylang in gold was love at first sniff! So natural, sweet, rich addictive nectar!!! It opens with citrus fruits and I consider it quite linear, sweety/fruity without being cloying… I can detect lychee, vanilla, magnolia and one of the best discrete, well blended coconut note I ever smelled… the longevity and silage are also very good.
The simmering powder is not bad, but it is not discrete, I guess you would have to bath in it, otherwise only some shimmer spots would look a little bit weird (IMHO)…but there is also the possibility to buy the perfume in the traditional presentation, without the shimmering particles (what I did)…

werena

I forgot to say in my comment below that you can easily buy such thin gold, and you could try to decorate your own perfume in this way. (I do not know if the spray mechanism would still work well though.) Just order what is known in german as "Blattgold" (gold leaf, gold foil, beaten gold. Blattgold is used for gold-plating. There are several companies in germany which produce Blattgold in various qualities. For example, the company Wilhelm Wasner (google for it) sells little booklets with 25 sheets of size 8 by 8 centimeters for about 30-40 euros (that ends up in a price of about 2 eurocents per square centimeter). They sell also gold powder. In this form the gold is more expensive, two grams cost about 180 euros (whereas 2 grams of gold might amount to about 80 euros). -
If you like a liquor containing true gold flakes look in Wikipedia for "Danziger Goldwasser". There are also posh restaurants which decorate food with Blattgold.

werena

What's all the excitement about? In an interview Martine Micallef said the perfume contains a dust of nacre or mother of pearl, and that is probably extracted from dropped sea shells. So, no gold at all. But if it were gold, how worthy would that be? Gold can be rolled out so that it is not thicker than a tenth of a micrometer. Let's assume a bottle of Ylang contains a square centimeter of such a thin gold layer. This square centimeter would then cost at current gold prices: about one cent. Now calculate the price of the perfume with and without gold! The price of a perfume does not get calculated from what it is made of, not even with the inclusion of packaging and marketing, but simply from what people are willing to pay for it. Luca Turin estimates that the stuff perfumes are made off usually amounts to two to three percents of what it costs.

jeca
jeca

This time I really like the shimmering powder, I saw it on my skin, it's quite discret ;o)

Ylang in Gold by M. Micallef 4.28 out of 5 based on 162 ratings and 32 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about M. Micallef Ylang in Gold fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about M. Micallef Ylang in Gold, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ylang in Gold by M. Micallef. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ylang in Gold by M. Micallef represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.