Designers » M » Oriental Floral « Groups

Truth or Dare Madonna for women
dislike

tuberose
Truth or Dare Madonna for women Videos Truth or Dare Madonna for women Videos
Truth or Dare Madonna for women Pictures Truth or Dare Madonna for women Pictures

The long-awaited perfume which will bear the signature of Madonna, perhaps the greatest pop star ever, launches in 2012. The company Coty has signed an agreement with MG Icon to launch this fragrance named Truth or Dare. The fragrance is for women from 25 to 45, with the group of 35-45 as the primary aim.

“I have always been obsessed by fragrance and for years wanted to create something personal that was an expression of me, but that other people could relate to as well. Something classical and timeless and yet modern. My oldest memory of my mother is her perfume. I carry it with me everywhere. She always smelled like gardenias and tuberose, an intoxicating mixture [that was] feminine and mysterious. I wanted to re-create this scent, but with something fresh and new about it as well. Something honest and yet daring — hence the name Truth or Dare”, said Madonna to wwd.

Madonna was reportedly deeply involved in the process of making her perfume. She has worked with Stephen Nilsen, Givaudan perfumer, to create the composition of white flowers on an intensive gourmand background. The scent is both a light and dark, opening with notes of gardenia, creamy tuberose and neroli. The heart consists of jasmine, benzoin and white lily, based on vanilla absolute, caramelized amber and sensual musk.

The fragrance comes in two formats - as 50 and 75 ml Eau de Parfum, along with body lotion and shower gel.

Neroli Gardenia Tuberose

Diamonds and Emeralds

Truth or Dare Fragrance Reviews

violetbat
violetbat

After seeing this perfume mentioned again and again I thought I'd better give it a test. Sorry to say it smelt like detergent on me. It smelt cheap and nasty. Maybe it's my skin. I love Fracas but this smells nothing like it.

lgray96
lgray96

If you want Fracas but have cash flow problems, look no further (£9.53 for 50ml)
NOTE: Truth or Dare is overlaid with a sweeter, more biscuit-like/caramelic accord that gives it a very youthful feel - ideal, again, for someone who aspires to wear Fracas when they are older/ more financially secure!

mimila
mimila

When Truth or Dare first appeared at Macys I was SO anxious to try it and judging it by the advertising, thought it would be darker or sexier. I got a sample and decided that I did'nt like it. Consequently, I began to see it at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls at a deep discount, still believing that I did'nt like it and never would. Finally, at a T.J. Maxx I saw a shower gel and opened it up to sniff. Oh my word. It had not changed, but I had. Suddenly I had fallen in love. Gone were the judgements and the expectations and only my real appreciation for the this floral beauty remained. It is like a lovely corsage that I wear on my shoulder and when I smell it, it reminds me of the lover who gave it to me. It took me awhile to find it again (she played hard to get) but finally I got a 2.5 ounce bottle at T.J. Maxx in the clearance for $10! I have been wearing it every day and each day I love it more. I know it's not one of the notes listed,I smell love in it.

DarkViolet
DarkViolet

Madonna’s Something to Remember album, a collection of some of her best ballads, features on its cover a picture of the most controversial and iconic pop star wearing a simple white dress and looking kind of thoughtful and frail … not something you’d usually associate to her. On the back cover, a gorgeous white flower – perhaps a magnolia – stands out on a contrasting dark background, conjuring a sense of refined melancholy and subtle sensuality: a perfect match to the mood of the songs.
That was the first and only Madonna album I bought, and although I am pretty familiar with most of her most successful tunes since late Eighties to nowadays (who isn’t?) I feel most of her love songs have an intimate aura that is quite far from her usual image of utterly transgressive woman, and that’s probably the only part of her large repertory I am able to enjoy; reading This Used To Be My Playground, Live to Tell and Oh Father lyrics got me to consider the maneater Madonna might sometimes be a child at heart, like most of us.

When I first tried ToD, in Summer 2012, I could immediately relate her debut fragrance to that sensitive and almost nostalgic side of Madonna’s artistic work and personality: I suppose everyone here knows her inspiration’s source for this fragrance, but aside from the obvious comparison to Piguet’s Fracas (to whose endless discussions I won’t contribute here) I feel there’s much of Ms Ciccone persona going on here: probably not the excesses nor the outrageous poses, more the independent and tenacious attitude that made her what she is, without forgetting where she comes from or ignoring her deepest emotions (it’s not just a case, I think, she wanted to recreate the scent of her mother).

I guess ToD was meant to embody the typical, overly feminine and full-bodied white floral category in a way that’s both traditional and contemporary: and it does that since the very beginning, without any warning at all (if we except the whiteness of the bottle itself).
A bursting bouquet of crisp, almost harsh jasmine and flashy neroli opens the pyramid with kind of a syrupy and slightly synthetic effect which may have scared most detractors of the fragrance, making them not want to go further: as it melts with skin’s warmth, ToD smoothes gradually and reveals its core of dense, almost opaque floral creaminess that – from a distance – could easily be perceived as a suntan lotion’s smell, but up-close it’s undeniably the triumph of milky, exotic white flowers. I mostly detect tuberose and gardenia, with their typical facets of coconut (here enhanced by a weird fruity note I perceive as strawberry bubblegum), while the lily is subtle but adorable, providing the composition with a dewy, innocent nuance. At this point ToD seems to change its mood, slowly toning down the intense carnality of flowers and reaching for the most approachable and comforting territory of the vanilla-ambery drydown, even though (here’s the greatness of this fragrance, in my opinion) it never gets obviously sweet nor it relaxes completely: the benzoin and musk in the base are there to remember the game may be dangerous and perturbing, and in the dim light you play at your risk.
Sillage is close to skin after a hour, longevity is satisfying (it lasts more than 7 hours on my skin, several days on clothes), and although white floral scents may just be too much for me during warmer seasons I can see myself wearing ToD on summer evenings, even better at the seaside (probably because of the sunscreen reference stated above).. its retro vibe conjures a mysterious and austere sexiness, while the almost gourmand base makes it intimate and enveloping: the ideal fragrance for romance, and a good option to approach tuberose and gardenia for those who are more familiar with sweet/fruity florals.
Lately my lovely boyfriend gifted me what it was likely the last bottle of ToD around here: it seems it’s getting discontinued everywhere...

Madonna should really be applaused for always diverging from the safest choices, in the perfumery field too.

loada82
loada82

So ellegant and nice perfume.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

I haven't yet tried Fracas, but I imagine the idea here was to do something similar but soaked in vanilla to please the younger crowd and as if to apologize for the old-fashioned, heady and mature floral scent, which is exactly the aspect that pleases me the most in Truth or Dare.

It's like sweetening your coffee to the point where you are no longer able to fully appreciate the coffee's taste. I do still like it, so much so that I'm in the process of swapping another perfume for this one, but I can't help but wonder how much better this would have been had it been left unsweetened or had they used a lighter hand.

happycapybara
happycapybara

When you call my name, it's like a little prayer….lalalalala in the midnight hour I can feel your power...

WOW! What a surprise. I spray this and Like a Prayer just keeps going through my mind and next thing I know, I am smiling and dancing…
Like others, I got this for a song and then went back and now I have a total of four large bottles, 2 shower gels, 2 body lotions (clearly, I lost control) :) Even so, I would buy more but I think i may get a scolding from husband.. (he would probably find my hidden stash…shhhh…)

This starts so lovely. Creamy tuberose, fragrant gardenia, a hint of jasmine. As it wears on the vanilla and benzoin emerge and the result on my skin is candied- flowery- creamy- tuberose- gardenia. It quickly reaches this stage and stays this way on my skin without changing for several hours. I love the longevity as it was still prominent when I went to sleep in the evening.

In regards to comparisons to Fracas. Fracas is more buttery, with less vanilla and benzoin. I recently wore the beautiful Fracas on a flight where unfortunately there was turbulence. It was not a good combination. Truth or Dare is sweeter and a little easier on my tummy, more wearable for me as a daily type scent. Love them both though.

KateAnette
KateAnette

After trying to wear, and being so frustrated with a certain perfume (longevity and sillage)for a couple of weeks, i saw this for dirt cheap in the store.
I remember trying it ages ago, remember it being very strong and potent, and thought "exactly what i need now !". Thank god i didn't spray the 10 sprays i do with my latest purchase, ha.
One tiny spray, and 4 hours later it's still going strong. Even though this is strong, i could imagine that it blooms in warm weather. It's a solid like now, i think this will grow on me. It's a heavy scent, but its not screechy or artificial, it's very creamy. Longevity and sillage wise (=quality) this is 10 out of 10.

Q80
Q80

this perfume contains allot of gardenia but the very artificial one as i sensed it, but it is good though, i really didn't get the vibe of the unwilling to like it but it is quite good as the TOP NOTE.... later on it developed on my skin quite weird!!! later than 30 minutes i started to smell the mouth breath of an empty stomach with a hint of metallic, not much awful as it was annoying. i guess i have to give it a try although i never liked any of the celebrity's perfumes except the Jud law Dior Homme intense.

Antares811
Antares811

I agree, this is not at all like Fracas.
Fracas is a masterpiece.
Truth or Dare is a pleasant white floral.

Sugarberries
Sugarberries

I don't know why this shows people comparing this to Fracus. I love fracus and this does not smell anything like it. I have been a fan of Madonna's sinse the 80's and was so excited she finally made a perfume. And how disappointed I was. Not only did I not like it, I hate it! Smells like bad perfume on top of SWEAT! Gross.

mihaela01
mihaela01

This is the kind of perfume that will make people notice you entered the room.It has great sillage and longevity.On my skin it is very sweet creamy vanilla and white flowers.It s a big like for me,the only minus would be that it is very linear it doesn't develop in any way through the day.Conclusion,a strong perfume that you have to be in the "right mood" to wear it.

Ioli19
Ioli19

This is strong, loud, with attitude, lots of personality! Somedays I can carry it, some days I can't touch it! I like it, and will wear it, but for me it's a perfume that needs the right moment.
It lasts and has silage to match!
I love gardenia and tuberose, white florals are my favourite, but this one is the 'wild' one in my collection, and I have to think more carefully about when to wear it and how much to spray!

spiderleenie
spiderleenie

This fragrance exceeded any expectations that I had. Despite me not being a Madonna fan, I think this perfume is a home run. It stands out among other celebrity fragrances (even with the bottle, which is gorgeous). It smells contemporary, but not young or immature. I don't see the tweens gravitating to this one.

Tuberose is the star of the show in this fragrance. The other white florals take center stage as well, but the tuberose stands out the most. I also smell quite a bit of the gardenia and the jasmine, but the neroli is something notable in this fragrance. It's a floral that has the tendency to smell fresh, kind of watery, and orangey/citrusy. I find that Truth Or Dare has a lovely hint of soapy cleanliness to the fragrance, and I attribute that to the Neroli, in my opinion.

With the star of the show, tuberose, there's a natural sweetness to it. The thing is that tuberose does have a tendency to get nasty when a perfume isn't very well made (in my opinion), as it tends to suffocate any other note that tries to work with it, almost resulting in a very stale aftermath. I really do think that the vanilla notes in this perfume give the tuberose and the other white florals a very creamy quality. I think it's smells delicious, but not in a "cupcake candy shop (a.k.a. Aquolina Pink Sugar)" way. The musk and the amber give Truth Or Dare a slight powdery quality while blending all of the notes together.

Did I mention that this scent is STRONG? Well, it's strong! The sillage is impressive, and the duration should last hours upon hours. It's easy to overdo this perfume, so I recommend no more than two sprays for this!

It's hard to really describe this scent with few words, because it smells like a lot of things to me; it's a creamy and yummy white floral with some softness and cleanliness to it. It's not exactly a youthful fragrance, but it isn't a "grandma" one either. I think women above their mid-20's will enjoy Truth or Dare the most. Personally, this is one of the best celebrity fragrances out in the market right now. Love it!

lauren.gonzalez.963
lauren.gonzalez.963

YUMMY!! This scent is so different as far as notes go, and yet similar to other celeb scents because it is pretty uncomplex. Its not a bad thing. For someone, who wants to try out tuberose, but is somewhat averted to it, this is a perfect starting point. Years ago, I was employed at B&BW, and when "velvet tuberose" came out, I said it smelled like "dead body" and refused to touch it. Im in my mid 20s, and am now coming around to it, but still didn't want a super strong scent.

This is PUUURRRfect! Its a shapeshifter on my skin. So I get whafts of fresh floral, and other times of a more heavy and tart tuberose. Overall it reminds me a tad of sweet tarts or smarties. But because of that "shapeshifting" quality, Ive been telling people that when I wear this fragrance, I feel like a sweet little angel of a girl (fresh gardenia) who is well liked, but is secretly a werewolf (tuberose) who knows and enjoys being bad and leading a double life. I can think of no better analogy to describe these two polar opposites that work together in one body so well.

On another note, its a STEAL! $13 at Marshalls, and it lasts ALL day long. I hope the scent stays in tact and doesn't morph into something else, as my Lady Gaga did (from sparkling floral to flat gummy bear). I cannot go out wearing this perfume without getting compliments and questions. Winner!!!

darksome
darksome

Had such high hopes for this because of the tuberose and the tip that, someone who loves LouLou by Cacharel, would also probably like Truth or Dare. But this is sadly even nicer, brighter, dryer and less complex, mysterious than LouLou.

I am a little disappointed.. I love the opening, but it's a little too bright and linear for me. If the scent now would turn less sweet more complicated and still be so juicy I would have like it. But on the drydown it get's drier, less juicy and and more spicy (almost medicinal). It's also way too sweet for my liking. It smells like an intense version of the white powder that covers a bubblegum. This is what I hate so much - that a scent gets so dry and powdery on the drydown. The same thing ruined Tom Ford's Violet Blonde for me.

Overall Truth or Dare smells very PINK. Somehow I have a feeling that it smells just like a juicy very sweet raspberry (the artificial one) jelly gum, sprinkled with sugar. LouLou in comparision smels more fuchsia/purple to me.

perfumemad62
perfumemad62

Truth or Dare is a magnificent perfume. Mmmmm I'm really starting to fall in love with it! It makes me sad that there are so many dislikes.

It smells so smooth & creamy. The florals work perfectly together. This scent reminds me of my childhood, a time of happiness and freedom. Beautiful. The lasting power and sillage are amazing too.

Overall, a beautiful and memory provoking perfume. I only have a sample but I most definitely will be purchasing a bigger bottle. Highly recommended!

olga.stefan
olga.stefan

I have never smelled Fracas, but I did test Prairie Life Threads Silver and I loved it. Truth Or Dare smells a lot like Life Threads Silver (like my memory of it, at least), thus, I have no reason to regret not spending a fortune to be able to douse myself in white flowers and sweetness.
I am not sure whether the mental icon i would associate this fragrance with is an insolent, intimidating, powerful young lady, or a gothic Morticia (to me, tuberoses come with a dark, solemn dimension), I think it is all a matter of attitude, and Madonna's frag seems to be as chameleonic as the artist herself:)
Either way, I find it 100% to my liking, it smells more expensive than it actually is, definitely an olfactive sum-up of the 90s, luring, sexy, will totally wear it tonight :)

update: I must say I'm wearing this for over a month now and I quickly went from "like" to "love". It might be true that the quantity of heady flowers was meant as a shocker, but, to me, any type of excess results in beauty :).I am no shy woman.
The only trouble is that, for my own and for other people's sake, I will not be able to wear it during summer. It already feels a bit too heady, yet, I adore it and can't get enough.

Spencemonster
Spencemonster

Hands down one of the best fragrances ever. Will be a staple in my fragrance world. The spice the warm amber the IDK what to describe it but it's amazing. The staying power, the compliments, and it wears so wonderfully on male and female. My mom smelt it on me and LOVED it, and she wears it reguarlarly enough that I just love to smell it. The spice and warmth to this works year round. Try this in the summer and you will be shocked at how much the floral gardenia comes through, but still lasts with that spice. It's like someone took a bouquet of gardenia's and poured liquid "HOT DAMN" or "ICE 101" on them lol or broke a hot tamale over it, but all in a way that "WORKS".

Summer Fragrances
Summer Fragrances

I love this, it smells close to the Tuberose Oil I have but a lot more TOLERABLE and not as intense, with a small dash of vulgarity that tuberose has so this one is more classy :) .... Great for those who truly love tuberose for it's smell... You just have to get over the Jasmine / neroli combo in the beginning then it dries down to tuberose and caramel

leighhannah
leighhannah

This is like Fracas with some cream added. I have Fracas and wear it all the time, and the similarity is there. It's a comfortable perfume to wear, feels more sentimental, not like it's trying to make a big statement. After I got over the fact that it isn't Fracas, I am able to enjoy it on its own merits. This is a solid perfume with good longevity and medium sillage. And I love the white glass bottle. It feels good in your hand. I also like skeletons and coffins so, there's that.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Serge Lutens' Tubereuse Criminelle is an interesting concept, with its weird opening and all, but unfortunately, the tuberose that I wait for lasts all of 20 minutes before the scent completely disappears. Frederic Malle's Carnel Flower is another one that opens with a bang, but it just doesn't last long enough for me to enjoy the tuberose when it finally emerges. Both are highly overpriced for how long they actually last. I have never experienced vintage Fracas, but the current formulation is so wan, thin, transparent and sharp that it's the least satisfying of all. Truth of Dare, which I purchased at TJ Maxx this afternoon for $10 is better than all three that I've mentioned above. While the materials in Truth or Dare are obviously not of the same high quality as those in the "big 3", I find that Truth or Dare is a surprisingly decent tuberose scent, considering the fact that it's a highly commercial celebrity scent. Most celebrity scents are interchangable, run-of-the-mill fruity florals, but TorD, even though it's derivative of one of the most famous tuberose scents of all times (Fracas), manages to hold its own and even surpasses the scent that was its inspiration, in my humble opinion. I feel that the underrated Guerlain Mahora is actually the best tuberose/gardenia scent. That one is my favorite. Im surprised that I'm saying this, but Truth or Dare is a close second.

piggyluv
piggyluv

I needed some cheering up, so I went to Pharmaprix and picked up 30ml for 20.00 Canadian.
What a gorgeous perfume!
The opening is all creamy gardenia, then the jasmine peeks through. As it continues to settle, the tuberose jumps out and takes center stage, with warm amber and creamy, almost milky gardenia in the background. I see the Fracas comparisons, but I find the orange in Fracas headache inducing. I prefer ToD as I find it smoother and less cloying than Fracas. This perfume smells like a high end niche fragrance to me. There's no plastic in these notes, they are so smooth and natural smelling, I can't get over the price for quality. Unfortunately, on me, it does not last all that long. I am considering buying the body lotion to see if I can improve the longevity.
Bravo Coty and Madonna, you hit the ball out of the park!

LuLuGoes
LuLuGoes

Like many reviewers, I am not a huge Madonna fan. I'm also hesitant to buy celebrity fragrances. I'd rather buy a fragrance from a company/house devoted to its craft.

When I smelled the original Truth or Dare in the white bottle for the first time, it reminded me that even a celebrity fragrance can be interesting. And this one is.

I knew Madonna was a fan of fragrances. I don't know if the gardenia story about her mother is true. It really doesn't matter if it's true. I do think this fragrance was carefully made.

The tuberose is prominent for me. I had a friend who wore Fracas, and yes, this does remind me of it. As others have pointed out, it has the staying power of a perfume concentrate/extrait/pure parfum. Very potent.

I am not a floral fan. Power florals, like Red Door, make me want to pass out.

T or D is not that kind of floral. It is an edgy, milky, and intense bouquet of white florals that leaves very little room for the vanilla/amber to emerge.

It has made me curious about gardenia, as I've had little experience with that note.

I will definitely keep this full bottle I purchased at TJ Maxx. I feel like it was a good deal, as this doesn't smell or feel cheap at all. The bottle is royal-looking (in a Clive Christian way).

I was just going through a love affair with my Paloma Picasso EDT. That is, until I sprayed T or D for the first time. I will keep it close to me for a while.

It's made quite a first impression and opened me up to something new.

Update: Madonna Truth or Dare original also reminds me of White Shoulders, at least in the way the tuberose/gardenia/jasmine combination opens and lingers. I just acquired a large 4 oz. EDC splash of WS.

jeannette_84
jeannette_84

I really didn't like this fragrance. Gave me a headache...

Mariah Carey Honey Lover
Mariah Carey Honey Lover

Very Strong yet very sweet scent. You straight up smell the Gardenia and the Tuberose. There is a sweet tone on Vanilla and Benzoin. This Fragrance express Madonna Very well. Sensual, sexy, truthful also very daring. I love Madonna and this perfume, I love it so much I sometimes wear this when I sleep. Buy this If you love strong yet sweet perfumes or love Gardenias with Tuberose or you just Love Madonna BUY IT!!!!

jofreesia
jofreesia

I couldn't take the tuberose in this; cloyingly heady. And I rarely get migraines, with this one I got a heavy one.

Museumgal
Museumgal

A very sweet white floral with gardenia as the primary note. It's a very tropical, heady gardenia, and it's much more prominent than the tuberose. It's similar to Fracas but Fracas is deeper and richer. This is lighter and more tropical, more of a day time or summer scent, where Fracas is more of a night time one. But it would fill the same sort of spot in your wardrobe if Fracas is too pricey at the moment for you. It lasts very well and is a beautiful gardenia, but the tuberose isn't as strong as in Fracas.

allaboutbeauty
allaboutbeauty

I also purchased this fragrance on a whim at TJ Maxx. From all the comparisons to made to Fracas, I was sure to be impressed. However, that was not the case. To me, this smelled sickly sweet. I can see where Madonna was trying to go, but it just doesn’t quite make it. I would never compare this to something as remarkable as Fracas. Fracas screams quality - - - exactly what this fragrance is lacking. Sorry Madonna.

Daisydukes
Daisydukes

I saw this in TJMAXX for a steal and as they say "curiosity killed the cat".

Truth or Dare started off with a hiss. I was convinced that I purchased a stinker.

20 mins later I was purring.

This is not a scary perfume. Because of the comparison to Fracas I was afraid. I also worried that it had an unclean or spice nuance. It's halfway between Fracas and Do Son on the skank factor scale. FYI I love Do Son and cannot wear Fracas.
TOD smells quite a bit like smarties candies to my nose.

Unfortunately I am highly allergic to this perfume. Allergic as in I've taken a shower, rinsed my sinuses, swallowed a Benadryl and a Claritin. I've never returned a perfume in my life but this one is going back.

I am sad about reacting to this one. If you do not have allergies and like the idea of smelling like Smarties with gardenia, tuberose, jasmine and a touch of warmth without "spice". I was surprised at how much I liked the smell of this. I'm going to miss it!

MonaThorbourne
MonaThorbourne

I received a vial of this from a recent swap. I never really heard of it or read much about it and decided to give it a try. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! It was like "where have you been all my life"! This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I have a mini of M. Micallef Watch, and I tried Love by Killian and this is the SAME (in my opinion). I could never afford to buy Watch or Love... but guess what, I am DEFINATELY buying Truth or Dare. This is a silage bomb for me. Finally, I found a perfume that I can wear, and I can smell that I am wearing it! Love love love love!

Gitsella
Gitsella

I usually don't like the heavy floral perfumes but this one is sort of kind of... Amazing! I get so many compliments on this it's crazy! At first you can smell the gardenia and the tuberose but after a while it settles down and warms up and becomes creamy (vanilla&benzoin) beautiful!!
Great staying power about... 2 days!!!

SummerMelody
SummerMelody

I love this! I have Fracas pure perfume, Blonde PP, and Jungle Gardenia skin perfume (vintage). I do see a similarity to all 3 but not a strong one. Truth or Dare is more modern, round and simple. It's sweet and fruity under the heady, waxy, white floral that's not quite a gardenia. It has excellent sillage/longevity but it can be temperamental in warm weather. It can appear weak at first and then bloom to become overwhelming. I haven't had that problem in cool weather. In cool weather it seems linear, soft, warm and lovely.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Scent is a mystery...
Every musk must stand alone...
I've smelled this kind before,
But it feels like... home.
Astor Place, in its gender neutralish shampoo intensity, might seem to nearly scratch a feminish itch among male fragrance seekers who aren't bound by fragrance industry gender marketing. When one considers that Frank Sinatra is rumored to have worn Jungle Gardenia (longtime favorite of Joan Crawford's) and that Charlie Chaplin wore Mitsouko, it would stand to reason that some florals can be worn as elegant masculines. What happens with Truth or Dare is a manpretty, Frac-ish tuberose residing in the Astor Place vicinity that's tempered with sweaty, chewy fruit. Like Hanae Mori HM with a little more. There's not enough gourmand to register as gourmand, but just enough to bring gender to the borderline.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

I nearly blind bought this fragrance but thank goodness I was sent a sample in a swap by a lovely fragrantican.
I'll just keep this short and simple. I thought the notes and the reviews sounded stunning but initially I get a blast of musk, something that resembles synthetic tuberose and a note which is unrecognisable to me but which reacts dreadfully with my body.
I've scrubbed it off as it was intolerable to me but I can still smell it.
I'm wondering if the sample has turned and therefore I will try this in a department store to get a a better idea of the notes, until then, it's a no no for me.

Jade13
Jade13

Tried this out today, at first I couldn't tell what it resembled, but then it hit me, Yves Rocher Monoi de Tahiti (eaux parfumante sans alcohol), smells just like it to my nose.

ialwayssmellgood
ialwayssmellgood

I am a gardenia junkie so I am unexpectedly loving this. I love the clean smell it gives off and it has a sweetness I adore. My mom surprised me with it today and I am so happy she did. I have to disagree with the reviews and rate it 'love'. Sweet, creamy and different. Oh, did I forget to mention I'm a benzoin addict too?

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

A sharp, crisp tuberose that delivers with opposing notes of surprise. Strong tuberose intermingles with woods and spices in this fanciful perfume introduced by Madonna. One must definitely be a floral lover to enjoy this one or it could be a headache inducer.
There are days I’m in the mood for this type of scent when it basically comes through straight florals without much more mixed in to make this fragrance one of a linear proportion. Did I say tuberose lovers unite in Madonna’s Truth or Dare? They should. It delivers.
After wearing this straight for a few days in bitterly cold weather when I believe the notes would be at their advantage, I still found it to be a basic tuberose lovers’ delight. (There I go again…tuberose, tuberose, tuberose….am I making myself clear here?)
Tuberose radiates strongly for hours until washed off. Why? You guessed it. The tuberose is that strong. Which is a good thing. (For tuberose lovers.)
With a stretch I can find an underlayer of sandalwood hugging and an occasional spice wafting through. But those components hardly hold the show together. Why? Because the tuberose kicks ass instead and is the star of this perfume.
The bottle is unique in design but fools you until you realize it’s only white painted glass. That’s right. Painted glass. As if someone sat in a craft class with their little styrofoam brushes and dipped them in a paint tub and stroked away. Shiny white painted glass. My bottle chipped on the first day of use. On the front, right above the logo. On top of that, there were paint bubbles in the paint finish.
For under 20 bucks with a lotion and bath gel, this was a steal, but I’m still seriously aggravated about the chipping paint on the bottle.

ivyheel
ivyheel

I don't like writing negative reviews, but sadly I just do not get Truth or Dare. Of course I smell the tuberose, but the dry down is a nondescript sweet, mildly vanillic mess. The entire composition is watery and falls flat. Nothing about this intrigues me. I suppose I will wear this once in a while...

kneissl
kneissl

I don't usually go for celebrity fragrances; never bought any just experienced from samples and GWPs and found them all a bit boring. After reading the reviews here regarding Truth or Dare I was intrigued as many of my favourite scents include notes of Tuberose and Gardenia. Could not find it anywhere in the shops so ordered it blind from Escentual. I am wearing it right now and it's just lovely!!! Very very feminine with a generous punch of Tuberose. I only get a hint of Gardenia in the beginning with another cool aromatic floral like anise. Very soon it becomes creamy and sensual and the vanilla note rounds if off very well. It's not in the least bit offensive and I will enjoy wearing it this winter. I do like the bottle; it reminds me of something Vivienne Westwood would design and it suits the scent perfectly.

ginawadsworth

Update- this lasted half a day, overnight and through one shower and is still there when I sniff my arm, but my husband was not as taken with as I am. (He preferred Coco Noir which I also tried on my other arm. This did not survive the shower and to be honest, I found it neither Noir or that innovative).

This morning I tried to form a mental picture of this perfume as it so divorced from my usual taste. The first thing that popped into my head was a tsunami. It certainly hit me with no warning and devastated anything on my mind at the time. My second thought was an avalanche, either way I am still transfixed by its power. I will probably never get to smell Fracas, living in New Zealand, so if this is close I will give it the cigar.

Of note, I have read that Madonna was brave enough to persist in making this, and went against the new regulations laid down by the the IFRA. This may explain why it is difficult to find, but I commend her flying in the face of opposition to get something she felt worthy made.

What a surprise......

I don't usually go for celebrity scents as they often disappoint in both quality and smell. However this was simply astounding both in quality and silage. Simply breath taking.

It is what I would call an old world perfume, made with quality ingredients for a women who seeks quality in life. Out there, in your face and a "dam you attitude" which could well some up Madonna herself.

I cannot see her pondering over the sales figures for this, but rather having commissioned it out of love for a good perfume to be used by discerning women with a love of all things beautiful.

I am not sure if I will purchase this, as I want to wait for it to develop on my dry skin. (I have been caught by a lack of silage within a short space of time before.)

However at this point I would commend Madonna's creation and thank god some real effort is still being made to make really good perfumes.

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

This fragrance is very naughty and let me tell you why,hehe.

I have been in search of a new female signature night perfume since my former signature perfume was Blonde by Gianni Versace and hearing it on the tv that Madonna came out with a perfume and on this lovely site and the reviews they compare it to Blonde, so there I go in search of it.

When I found it , I liked the bottle I wasn't expecting Madonna to choose a solid white look for the bottle , I was expecting glass or black but I liked the golden top which crowned the bottle, its so Leo..I had to try it and yes I sprayed it in the air and it smelled like my beloved blonde and on me smelled like a naughty lady, so I purchased it.

After wearing actively in various situations and now , the bottle became empty with use and my view for the fragrance is this.

I have to say that this perfume should have been done back in her blonde ambition era it for which would have been a smash !.

Does it smell like Blonde ?
Well not quite since coming home I compared the 2 since I still posses miniature bottles of Blonde and my conclusion of Truth or Dare is how Madonna would have smelled with Blonde because Truth or Dare is very seductive,strong musky gardenia and tuberose. On my chemistry it turned into a warm, sandalwoody tuberose with a creamy musk lasting on me for hours and getting good complements.

Frankly I don't know why everyone is saying smells like "old lady", for me this perfume has that spirit the independent ,boldly extroverted ,intelligent ,erotic woman that is very sure of herself and her charm and style is daring sexy creature that borders on charming tramp, I like it.

I recommend this perfume if your into bold erotic fragrances, I sure hope this fragrance stays since I heard is rumored it maybe discontinued , I hope not because I delight in this scent and will purchase it again, its a good buy for those who enjoy boldness and as a gift, just make sure the receiver enjoys being a extroverted adult woman because this scent isn't for little girls and the timid.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

Truth or Dare has to be one of my most potent perfumes I own. It will most like take me forever to finish my bottle considering 2 sprays will last you 12+ hours, with a good amount of sillage. Well at least on my skin it does.

I actually really enjoy wearing this fragrance. It is a fragrance for white floral lovers. If you don't like them I suggest staying away from this one, unless you are feeling adventurous. This is heavy on the gardenia and tuberose, not so much fresh and pretty. They lean more towards the dirty side of the white floral spectrum. Though after about half an hour that start to ease up and start smelling cleaner and a little more wearable, quite creamy. White florals already tend to be quite sweet, but there is also good dose of vanilla and slight ambery undertones.

Truth or Dare happens to be an awesome potent white floral. Its wearable but you have to be careful with the trigger on this one, because it can easily become too overwhelming. I love how this fragrance is slightly retro smelling. Its nice to see a strong floral fragrance being released by a celebrity and can usually be found for a steal. ^_^

jtd
jtd

Madonna's schtick has been to tie her name and brand to concepts that are just new enough to be recognizable and exciting, but unformed enough that she can make them her own. She's not the spark of innovation, she's the gallon of gasoline poured on it. Take Vogue. Ball culture was a strictly formalized form of representation that came from a specific community of gender revolutionaries in Harlem in the 1970s-1980s. It was a cultural tradition for many before most of us had ever even heard the word “drag." Madonna came along, removed it from its context, made a video and Bob's your uncle. Vanguard cultural artist or sociopathic semiotician? You decide.

Truth or Dare lands smack in the center of this question. Madonna flack would have you believe that this perfume is a tribute to classical perfumery. All it took was one word: Fracas. Nest this word in the yarn about the perfume that Madonna's mother used to wear and the story just writes itself. It edifies Madonna's current reformulation as Contempo-Classic British Lady, and solidifies her past, connoting a familial tradition of taste. Oh, if only wishes were horses.

A better frame of reference for ToD is Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture. Hardly the House of Windsor, I know. Despite the attempt to link ToD to Fracas via the use of tuberose, the note in Truth or Dare is a watered-down recreation of a shopping mall fragrance. The difference between the two is that Madonna aims high hoping that we won't notice the low quality. Juicy Couture on the other hand, dazzles you with its spangle, makes you drop your expectations to the floor and then startles you with a gorgeous perfume. The horror here, and what should haunt perfume producers but apparently doesn't, is that quality come as a surprise.

Sadly, Truth or Dare doesn't surprise. At least not at first. A certain period of the heart notes has an eye-opening touch of Sécrétions Magnifiques. If this was intentional, bravo! But then again, the question: did Madge just 'appropriate' Sécrétions Magnifiques's polluted port-of-call note from Etat Libre d'Orange as she did voguing from the 1980s Harlem Ball culture?

Madonna: petty thief or semantic genius?

jedrzejowskia
jedrzejowskia

This fragrance smells so insanely familiar. I cannot put my finger on it. It smells like a summer day in Sweden but this is not possible since none of the white flowers listed grow in Sweden.. I always like to include a little story behind why a fragrance throws me off my feet but this time I’m unable to. It’s like a very pleasant, hidden memory somewhere in the back of my mind.
The top notes are strong and strange, very floral but I don’t recoil since the warmth and promise of the notes to come are reassuring. The gardenia is extremely strong, it envelops you and comforts your senses in a warm, smooth, pleasant embrace. This is probably the first fragrance I would call creamy. It’s not in the sense of creamy like whipped cream or face cream, it’s more of the feeling you get in your nose, smooth, velvety and easy.
I’d say this is a head ache in a box if you overspray it, I tend to test perfumes by just spraying once and carefully ease myself into them, I’m happy I did because this is one strong lady so be careful with the application.
The vanilla and benzoin is mixed with a hint of musk in the dry-down, it is still warm and comforting but in a strange way it stays fresh and summery because the gardenia remains the queen of the fragrance! I would have never guessed that my skin would accept this many flowers and keep them so well balanced for so long.
I obtained it for a song at an overstock shop but it smells veeeeeery exclusive and expensive. I am strongly considering buying a back up bottle of this since I’ve heard it’s being discontinued. I shall also buy the Nude version, it will be a blind buy and even if I don’t like that particular scent, I find the bottles beautiful and original and they shall be sisters in my perfume collection.
Projection: 4/5
Sillage: 5/5
Longevity: 4h+
Overall: Beautiful scent, try it.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

You can't really make decisions based off of others reviews on this one. You have to put it on your skin. Smelling it inside the bottle is not going to give you a true wearing and bonding to your skin. Everyone's skin chemistry is different.

With that being said , I listened to the bad reviews and made my decision. I didn't like the sound of it, HOWEVER, when I tried it on my skin , I fell in love. This is a huge white floral, gardenia, tuberose , and a heavy vanilla in the background . It does "remind " you of Fracas, but this is a much better version, as this one starts off bold , where Fracas lacks. Fracas always faded on my skin, this one lingers .

Upon first spray, it's very heavy, yes, but 10 minutes in, and you have the most creamy tuberose womanly scent that teeters between mature and young woman. I say this because it starts off with that loud white floral smell, but after that 10 mins, it smells of the most gourmet bubblegum before it's chewed with the white powdery residue that's still on the gum before chewing . Don't you remember that ? This lasts and lasts . This scent is very nostalgic for some reason. For the price of this fragrance, the beautiful bottle, and the quality, it's a bargain! Go get some!

perfumejunkie75
perfumejunkie75

I purchased this at Wal-Mart of all places and I tried it on this morning. Yep, gardenias and tuberose big time. Smelled like my Michael Kors, but honestly I love the smell of gardenias so that didn't bother me. I can see how this would get overwhelming if you were too liberal with the sprays, but I used a delicate hand on my my wrist and its very soft and lovely. I don't know if it will be my go-to perfume all the time. But, it's definitely not a loser. I can't believe all the dislikes. How can gardenias smell bad?? I'd like to try her other scent but I haven't seen it anywhere.

shayeri
shayeri

i tried it today and really like it.

ledavis727
ledavis727

To me, this perfume literally smells like pure gardenias, nothing else. I can sometimes get a whiff of vanilla but usually only after it has been sitting on my skin for a number of hours. It's a super creamy, heavy gardenia which unfortunately gives me a headache if I spray too much. I could see myself reaching for this one if it was really cold out to remind myself of the gardenia bushes I have blooming outside during the summer. Lasts for hours and hours.

jake.shouse
jake.shouse

just got it and I really like it smells wonderful!

jade50
jade50

Alright, at first I disliked Truth or Dare. Recently I repurchased it, and am happily surprised that I love it now.

I consider this a tuberose scent. Tuberose is notoriously hard to blend well in my opinion. In ToD notes of neroli, amber and vanilla are evident. The vanilla gives it a nice warm creaminess that I love.

I think over applying may have something to do with the dislike of this perfume. Also one must like tuberose.

Truth or Dare is very well done. It smells like an expensive perfume. It really deserves alot more credit.

Update: I love this more each time I wear it. I now smell a wonderful sweet amber on the drydown, an almost vanilla gourmand with soft flowers. I do love this. My apologies for fawning over this.

anna.voulgari1
anna.voulgari1

Tuberose and white florals that are bold and emblazoned, but not suffocating. The gardenia appears green and waxy, spread a bit too thin to be lush- but there's so much going on, that you're still entertained. Orange Blossom lends its fullness, and spicy lily nips at your nose unexpectedly, imparting a kick of peppery heat to keep the florals from becoming too heady.Resinous amber and benzoin lurk beneath the florals, giving it a dusty, (easily interpreted as powdery) vintage and austere feel to it. If you let your imagination go, you can almost feel the heavy, hard uncomfortable pews in church, designed to keep you upright and reminded that Christ endured and so must you.The Queen knows how to seduce your senses!!!

gaeliclass
gaeliclass

Oh my god!!!!! I just bought Euphoria, and love it. I also picked up Coach and Modern Muse. I was restocking. The clerks threw a bunch of samples into my bag and I've slowly been going through them and hit on Truth or Dare by Madona. OH MY GOD! Never ever, would I have tried a scent by Madona. I do not like celebrity scents and I just thought anything she did would be crass. I repent! I was soooooooo wrong. This is such a beautiful, warm enveloping scent. It just gets better and better. It's creamy and exotic and soft and rich and voluptous, all at once without being overwhelming. I think this is a sophisticated complex womanly scent, and I may make this my daytime signature scent. I don't feel it's a sexual scent for conquest; rather, it's a scent that makes you want to fall into it, just be near a person who smells like it, so you can revel in the wonderment of it.

Now I have to try her other scent, Naker Truth or Dare. Perhaps that is the sexier, grab and man and some moonlight, scent to pair with the first. ;) She has created a fantastic feminie scent here. I'm a fan for life.

shubha.juyal
shubha.juyal

I am not at all shocked on the amount of negative reviews this one got. I mean just look at the dislike bar!!
It is a super strong floral with amazing longevity.
I don't think this perfume is one of those "either you love it or you hate it, no between" perfumes.
For my generation, who grew up on N'Sync and Gwen Stefani,the anything Madonna equates to "old",,,which now I think is stupid.
Some say it is a grown up scent...for me perfumes don't have age or genetilia.
I am loving this perfume. Yes it is massively strong (something fashion house perfumes lack). Just be gentle while spraying it. Spray from afar or in the air and just walk into it for a more subtle effect.
For when you need something strong, you know what to do. This perfume allows me to manipulate the sillage.

It is a beautiful scent. Unlike most perfumes today (and not just celebrity one's) this one actually develops and changes itself...from flowers to vanilla to amber and musk, it is definitely not linear.

I would suggest everyone to try it out. If you do not like its pure floral-ness, then try to layer it with something woody...it smells even lovelier.

TilasProdigy
TilasProdigy

I think this fragrance is a masterpiece . All the compositions tone with eachother. Its really hard to but Jasmine, Gardenia & Tuberose in one fragrance without it being all crazy. You guys need to give it more credit.

bailarina
bailarina

I think this is similar to Fracas, but I found this one to be more wearable at least on me. I discovered a love for gardenia not too long ago, and you know how you go all crazy, getting more perfumes with the notes you love!! so, I had to have this, nevermind I have a million other perfumes. This is a sweet, creamy, gardenia plus some tuberose (white floral). I have no idea why it has so many dislikes. All I can say is that if you like gardenia and/or tuberose, and sweet scents you should try this one. I love it.

fumehead
fumehead

this is a gardenia bomb, some tuberose, very creamy and sweet. similar to fracas, but no way near as well crafted and elegant. this is the best gardenia soliflore imo!

serenity3107
serenity3107

It smells almost like Michael Kors Women ..love it, very long lasting

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

I hesitated purchasing this, I mean it couldn't be any good...could it? Now being an original 80's chick with power issues and an attitude problem I was destined to like this. Yes, divine, strong white flowers and a warm base, the dry down a gorgeous warm sherbet. Love, love love. Good job your Madgesty.

Lexy656612
Lexy656612

I smelt coconut after sun when I tested this... Smelt very cheap to me.

nitschevo
nitschevo

Tested it yesterday and I really like it! But I think that it has an gourmand touch to it as the flowers come off really creamy.In my opionion Madonna has done very well with this one which might be the reason why in my country this scent is never on sale ;)But 35 € for 50ml is still very good, right?
Try this one out if you're searching for a fall flower scent with a tad balminess to it.

This is my second bottle - use with care ladies, or else this will be a roomkiller. 1 spritz makes you smell fantaboulus all day/night long. I don't love it, but I like it alot. A great fall/winterscent in my opinion. Timeless -but you have to be a whiteflowerfan to adore Truth or Dare.
Edit: I have used it for a few weeks now and now I have fallen totally in love with Truth or Dare.. Its a great punch of Gardenia and white flowers, but now its my signature. Less is more and often I sprey inside of my jumper evening before wearing it - then Truth or Dare becomes perfect. Smooth, warm and encircling me all day long..

Detta är min andra flaska - använd denna försiktigt tjejer, annars blir det en rumsdödare. 1 sprejning gör att du doftar fantastiskt hela dagen/natten. Jag älskar den inte men jag gillar den skarpt. Underbar höst/vinterdoft i mitt tycke. Tidlös och du måste vara galen i vita blommor för att falla för Truth or Dare totalt.
Tillägg: Nu har jag använt denna några veckor och nu kan jag säga att jag har fallit totalt för Truth or Dare, den har en enorm Gardenia och vita blommor-doft men nu är den min signatur.. Dock får man vara försiktigt när man sprejar på den. Oftast sprejar jag insidan av tröjan kvällen före - som jag sen bär dagen efter - då är den perfekt. Mjuk, hållbar och underbar.

Elviel
Elviel

I nearly bought this for myself last Christmas but the department store hid the tester (they said because it was stolen every time they left it out). Consequently I did not buy as I like to test over several days and was irritated that I had to be squirted by the assistant.

Roll on and Cheapsmells had the perfume at such a bargain price I plumped for it. And very pleased I am indeed.

A very well executed top to bottom gardenia. Very close to the pure essential oil; a side by side comparison emphasises the neroli and warm slightly spicy vanilla/amber base of 'Truth or Dare'.

The bottle containing this thick and heavy, floral sweet concoction looks a little cheap but feels deliciously cold, heavy, and expensive.

I have gone for a second bottle because to me this really is a delight and hands down beats quite a number of very much higher end perfumes I have tested (and regretfully bought) over the last couple of years.

Full bottle Eau de Parfum 2013

guillermostf
guillermostf

i'm not sure if i really like it or not, but i'm sure this is very strong and long lasting, very long lasting. After 20 min it's like powder (in my country there's one called Polyana and smell pretty much like ToD. The bottle is nice to hand, but reminds me a coffin. I'm impressed about the really long lasting power.

Found this today @ Marshalls for only $10, so I thought I would give it a try. Sprayed a TINY bit just on my wrist and let it settle in. Wow.....MAJOR gardenia-overload. Hours passed - the gardenia never let up, no other notes ever came through. It was so heavy and cloying, not to mention nauseating, that I could smell it just walking thru the house. I've scrubbed my wrist 4 times and it's still hanging in there, so kudos for staying power. I so wanted to be a part of the masses who love this, but sadly, it's not for me.

BritneyJLOMariahperfumes
BritneyJLOMariahperfumes

I get more complements on this than any perfume I have EVER owned in my life! I mean every time I ware this at least 3 people tell me how amazing it smells and ask me what it is so they can buy it. No joke EVERY TIME!

nikkibom
nikkibom

Versace Blonde clone.

sky74
sky74

Very well done perfume. A truely classic floral A bit "old school" maybe, but I don't mind. It's a cheap perfume with a character and quality of an expensive perfume.
I'm surprised at how many dislike this perfume. Well, if you expected something like Brittany Spears or Justin Bieber (due to the fact that it is a celebrity fragrance), move on! This stuff is for women, not for children.

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

I love ToD smell. A very strong gardina jasmine, very sweet vanilla amber mix. Sillage is moderate/heavy. Would definately be in my top if it lasted longer on me, 2 to 3 hours tops..

I got the 1.7 white bottle, cant see how much is in it but know Im going thru it fast as the sprayer puts out a heavy stream and I keep reapplying it every few hours when wearing it.

Lovesmells
Lovesmells

Truth or Dare is floral. A rich floral along the lines of Fracas but VERY much lighter. Fracas to me is a heavy, full head on tuberose, which needs to be spread away from you so that it goes on lighter and does not offend anyone. I had Fracas and this is not it
But Truth or Dare is very creamy. Not sugary to me.It dries to a sweeter gardenia, without that greenness that a fresh gardenia has-take a walk around your diy garden shops and you will understand the green beginning note.
Truth or Dare stays creamy for a long time and when it goes away there's a light, light very well done amber which is lovely manner to finish a fragrance. It travels well between base, middle and base.
I wear Truth or Dare day or night all seasons
I think this was a very well designed fragrance in terms or notes and packaging. Both are different than other contemporary "celebrity" fragrances. I love the height of the bottle, the white glass and the thinness of the bottle too.
From other articles I read, she had a very insisting participation in its making-good for her to be picky if you put your name on something and I also don't judge a fragrance by its creator or whoever puts their name on it; for example, just because it says chanel on a bottle, does not mean it's the best
Do not expect fruity, light, green-move on
I am glad that Truth or Dare moved to secondary markets so I could buy it because it's not a regrettable purchase if you want to try gardenia, without going full blast on this heady flower
It also does not remind me of heady flowers in Hawaiian essential oils
This does not smell like a nursing home. If anyone calls it older or more mature notes, yes it is. I agree, I don't expect very young ladies wearing it, the fresh notes are not in this fragrance.
When you review the gardenia notes available in the perfume market, it is a very difficult note to hit just right and this is a good venue, reason I believe that more brands don't bother. If you make or compose your own fragrances, tuberose gardenia essential oil can be smelled way after you have closed the bottle and it is hard to blend with other accords
Perfumes are not allowed in nursing homes and unfortunately for many for our parents/grandparents this is a place for the end of life. They can smell like hospitals with a mix of body smells and cleaning agents. It can be very sad to go in them, our loved one are there. This fragrance is not that.
Please be respectful

Mojca
Mojca

I'm not big Madonna fan. But I got this perfume for my birthday. Originally I wanted Lady Gaga's perfume but it really was nothing special to me. Than I smelled this one and I fell in love with it. It's soft and heavy in both ways. I think that It's more like jasmine and vanilla fragrence and it stays long on me. I chose this one becouse it was something different than avarege. Becouse it was really bold. And when i'm wearing it I feel really confident about myself and my decisions. And I feel perfect every time I go out. You shoul try it you'll love it.

leboblue

If you like Fracas you'll like this. I'm finding I'm having trouble with all things tuberose including candles, soaps and all fragrances in general. I wanted it to be appealing to me but the tuberose excludes it from my wearability lineup. I will hold onto both TOD variations for my collection.

EmilioRashitov
EmilioRashitov

Perfection.

xxstarburstxx
xxstarburstxx

I do not 'do' celeb fragrances - so much so that my friendly Perfumier sprayed it under the counter so that I couldn't see what it was..
I am very pleasantly surprised! It is more Gourmand than floral with vanilla & sandalwood as prevalent as any white flowers.
Truth or Dare is a lovely smooth, gentle blend with a soft powdery smell. Lasts well but is not overpowering.
I find it comforting and cosy. I have also purchased the shower gel and body lotion - not something I normally do but when I wear Truth or Dare I want it to envelop me and to last.
It is remarkably good value and most definitely does not smell cheap.
I love it.
Rumour has it that this is the only perfume, apart from one by a certain footballer, where the celeb has had a serious input in the formulation...

tyekristopher

I've written a review before this and i just CANT get over how much I am in LOVE with this scent, I haven't smelt something this good in a looong time! it just smells devine I get alot of compliments whenever I wear this. It's def worth trying it. It isn't your tween scent it actually has a kick to it that makes it something special. It is far from generic or cheap smelling, It is very classy.I'm so happy with my purchase! =)

marsiesmoon
marsiesmoon

I purchased ToD at TJ Maxx, as it seemed a good deal, and there were some good reviews lately.

At first spray, I thought wow, fresh! A few seconds later, it was omg blah...gardenia and a metallic like scent in overwhelming amount.I wanted to scrub immediately.

I was so disappointed. I refused to dismiss this fragrance though, so I tried again with a much lighter hand/spray. I do think when a light spray is used, this is quite wearable and pretty. Also I think it does better on clothing than skin as skin tends to make it "bloom" in crazy large ways that are not good!

I can see why there is a love/hate with this fragrance.
Not what I would expect from Madonna, though I do love the bottle design.

mendosita
mendosita

Well, this one is surely noticeable amongst so popular fruity-florals that are so similar to each other.
Truth or Dare is definitely very old fashion fragrance, it's climate reminds me of old compositions of Guerlain or Dior.
Very strong mix of white flowers- I can detect jasmin and tuberose in almost deadly amounts. I'm trying to smell vanilla and musk, but it is impossible- the flowers are all over the place, they dominate.
I like it a lot, I have got a sample and now I'm thinking of buying the whole bottle.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

This is something I would ordinarily not be interested in, but was able to try a decant given through the generosity of a fellow Fragrantican.

I expected an insanely powerful white floral, and dabbed it on with some trepidation. I was surprised but what smelled like sweatpea, pink clover and some kind of childhood candy (sweet tarts? pez?). It was so, so...pink and girly! "Truth or Dare" took on a different meaning; a childhood game, not a risque perfume. I think what I'm smelling is the gardenia and jasmine; somehow, I don't get any tuberose at all. The vanilla must be lending to the candy smell, but I really don't get the other notes. As it dries down, the sweet floral notes don't change much at all--maybe a touch of confectioners sugar-like powder, but no indoles, no depth.

It lasted about 5 hours of sweetness on my skin, never strong sillage. Pleasant but unremarkable. My skin is rather dry, the temp where I live is high 90's, so maybe that's a factor; I don't get the diva fragrance others get.

selinacat
selinacat

I can't stand Celebriscents.

I find them trendy and often promotions have more to do with the celebrity than the scent itself leading to what may be a good scent ignored, or what is pretty mediocre being successful depending on the popularity of the celeb attached.

I think that Truth or Dare by Madonna is one of the few exceptions however.

The scent harks back to her "like a virgin" and "sex" days in the 80s and 90s, and I feel the smell reflects this. It has a vintage youthful freshness in a silage that is apparent but not intensely overpowering. While it isn't "Chanel" class, the scent is distinct enough to separate it from the sea of Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Mariah Carey, J.Lo fruity-fruit-sugar-drenched-flowers-in-fruit.

It is light. It is similar to Roberto Cavalli's "Roberto Cavalli Eau de Parfum" with a more daytime feel. (Benzoin I think?) This would pair beautifully with that scent. It is one of my favorites, and I like the idea of having a lighter scent to match without needing to rely on the watered down EDT.

I tried a sample I got with no expectations (low to be honest) but I always give the perfume the benefit of the doubt regardless of how I feel about the Celeb attached.

I strongly recommend you do the same. Because despite my "intermediate" scentaholic status, this celebriscent is the first in a while to make it onto my want list for the scent and not because of the "bottlelove"

ESPECIALLY if you love Roberto Cavalli's signature EDP as much as I do. It is the perfect daytime companion. (which is why I now want it)

PS: People gripe about the bottle, but personally, I'd prefer the scent was nice to the bottle. (Marc Jacobs anyone?)You are right, its not "bottlelove"(copyright selinacat...you're welcome) But I've yet to fall in love with a bottle as much as I've fallen for the scent. Shell out money for Marc Jacobs if you don't like the bottle. Me? I'm just surprised to find this shiny stone (not gem but still) and now I'm even happier to find out I can buy it for super cheap at TKMaxx (TJMaxx in the US)

Also: Never purchase a blind buy with expectations. I mean....seriously...That is the idea behind a blind buy. Reviews are to give you an indication not tell you to buy it. Lets not be sheep people!

tyekristopher

okay, got my hands on some of this! At first spray you get a rush of white flowers mostly gardenia. Kinda sharp at first! But about after 15 mins to 30 it begins to smell a little buttery sweet on me due to the vanilla, carmel amber almost kinda milky buttery. I must say IM BLOWN away from this it is just so lovely and beautiful it is a breath of fresh air for me when I want to take a break from my super sweet fragrances. It was a carmel popcorn smell on me. EVERYTHING turns sweet on me no matter what it is it is really funny how our bodies are! I do 3 sprays and that is MORE than enough! it is really complex and deep, perfect for any season really but more like a fall/winter wear since it is a little bold. I'm so thrilled I got a big bottle bumped up on my list ! don't be so quick to judge smell it for yourself I'm glad I did and didn't pay any mind to the bad reviews!

Aeris

Everyone go to TJMaxx! You can find Truth or Dare there for only $15 (for the 1.7 or 2.5 oz)! This is my new signature scent!
Edit: Now it's only $10 at TJMaxx. This is an outrage! This beautiful perfume deserves so much better than being on the discount section of TJMaxx for the same price of a can of Axe Body Spray. :(
Not only that, but Madonna is a very influential person in the world, whether you agree with her sentiments or not. I'm truly perplexed as to why this is not doing well.

courant
courant

Truth or Dare is better than I expected, much better. Today I wore Fracas solid perfume (very subtle) behind the ears and on the wrist. If I were to apply Truth or Dare I would spray the small of my back only. I like the sparkling orange blossom in Truth or Dare. I guess that's the gardenia vying with the tuberose. And I like the bottle, it reminds me of the strings of milk glass beads, (Trifari, I think) in bracelets and necklaces that need restringing.

Aeris

Mmmmmm. As a Southern Belle, this Gardenia-centric perfume is a dream. It opens up as a bouquet of creamy white florals. I detect Gardenia, Jasmine, and Tuberose. As it unfolds, a tad bit of vanilla adds a bit of sweetness, while amber adds a little depth. Powdery musk is present throughout. Overall, this is a beautiful fragrance. It's not as "out there" as I expected a controversial person such as Madonna to create (it won't create a "love it or hate it" reaction like Thierry's Angel). But it is unique. The price is right for such a high quality perfume :)
It's all about Duality: Feminine, yet strong. Seemingly innocent, yet seductive and Coy. Subtle, yet draws you in like a Siren. A Femme Fatale in white sheeps clothing. Yes, a Madonna creation indeed.
Also, I personally LOVE the bottle! It's what caught my attention to begin with. Best blind buy ever!

exciter76
exciter76

Madge’s perfume smells like a house of worship.

I don’t mean this as an insult. I cannot imagine anything more serene than the scent of a House of God—be it a synagogue, a church, a mosque, a temple, wherever. There is something familiar yet unusual at play here that can be a real deal breaker for some and an underappreciated treasure for others. This is the second time I have tried this scent. I was unimpressed the first time I tried it. This time I found its weird beauty intriguing.

The white floral bouquet in this is overwhelming. It is the scent of a sanctuary filled to capacity with mixed white flowers. If white florals are not your thing—RUN! While the flowers are screaming for attention, incense is slowly filling the space. An hour or so later there is an odd smell I can only describe as pages in an old, worn tome. There is a quiet musk that lingers, like the scent of a few parishioners sitting in the pews. Altogether, though out of context, this is lovely but not necessarily conventional or even friendly.

I’m not entirely smitten with this scent just yet. However, I do believe a love affair can grow from this. I may have even found my serenity scent.

zu_misha
zu_misha

Got this yesterday because of reviews putting it in the same family as fracas which I have been curious about since it is considered the standard for tuberose scents. If Fame is what a tuberose scent smells like then II need to stay away from this note family. I am glad I tried it first before investing any further with other scents like Fracas or EL gardenia and Tuberose. I am a newbie and cannot yet distinguish notes but this was definitely not my type of scent at all. Rather than floral scent, for some reason this reminded me of my vetiver body splash...almost masculine.

P.S. FYI...I am neutral on Madonna so my opinion is not biased for or against the scent because of association.

ErosOphelia
ErosOphelia

I bought this perfume simply because "Truth or Dare" reminds me of old school Madonna back in her Erotica, fetish, and "senso-sexed" days.

Also I did a google search on it's notes and was drawn in by the simple fact that there are Neroli, Amber, and Musk notes. The packaging and branding is just gorgeous. The bottle is beautiful. It plays on the religious relic look for me. Which I find incredibly charming.

However, after getting it home and wearing it ,the scent itself is neither sexy/erotica, sensual or beautiful. If you want to feel just cute, giggly and girly, then this is for you. If you really love Gardenia, this is for you. If you are one of those elder women who drown themselves in floral perfume, then this is for you.

All I could smell was Gardenia. This perfume has wonderful staying power but it never changes. It didn't mix with my chemistry at all or so it seemed to me. It was just Gardenia all night.

I was really hoping this would be warm and intoxicating provoking the essence of the whole "Bad Girl" flair that the campaign seems to placate. I honestly can't say I wish I could love this without cringing.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

All the talk of ToD being an homage to Fracas got me really interested in it. I hate the thought of being a 'fragrance philistine,' so I try to push my comfort level with scents all the time. I have been having trouble with the vintage Piguets (especially Bandit and Fracas): I find them difficult to wear, and this comes from a woman who routinely wears Shalimar, Paloma Picasso, and other big vintage frags. So when I started reading about ToD, I had to try it--and my local discount store conveniently had a bottle on clearance.

In short: I LOVE ToD, especially for summer. It's a lot less like Fracas, and much more like the big vintage gardenias (Jungle Gardenia, Island Gardenia), which makes it nicely wearable for hot weather. It has a touch of balminess and a wisp of coconut, but the composition is warm and enveloping rather than shrill and high-volume, probably because I find the tuberose further down in the composition, and the vanilla/benzoin/ambers incorporated with subtlety. My skin seems to eat it, so I actually find myself doing touch-ups. Others have better luck with longevity, so I guess the gift set is in the cards for me. Madge, you've got my respect on this one.

esteban747
esteban747

Usually I get a lot of my perfumes at discount stores like TJMaxx, and I always see this perfume, but because I always tend to shy away from celebrity fragrances, I never give it a chance.
So time passed by and one day I heard my mother talking to a friend about fracas. My mother loves gardenia, jasmine and tuberose. So one thing led to another and I have no idea why I started reading the reviews about Truth or Dare and...voila! I was shocked to read so many reviews about the similarity with Fracas.
I run to the store and I got one bottle ($15!!!), I give it to my mother with the whole explanation and I even showed the Fragrantica page. And she loved it, I only smelled the top notes and they are just a beautiful, clear, light gardenia/jasmine combination. I was so worried that it may be too sweet or heavy, but on the contrary, it smells amazing. It's a real shame that thgis perfume is so underrated, because it deserves more attention.

Daniela75
Daniela75

I like this perfume!
I'm not interested about celebrity frags, but since I love Madonna and White flowers, I wanted to try "Truth or dare".
It's so particular. It seems two different fragrance. At first spray, you can smell powerful Gardenia and Tuberosa but after about 30/50 minutes it turns into a sweet (not sugary), creamy, sensual and soft scent.
I've been wearing it everyday and got so many compliments.
I suggest you to test it before you buy.
Thank you!
I hope my english is quite good!(I live in Sardinia, Italy!)

birsen
birsen

I had Fracas and i had to swap it because does not work for me, gives me a little headache, but still there was something about it i liked and didn't know what. So when i saw this at Marshals for 10$ i had to go on my phone an check what fragranticans say about it, and after the good reviews i had to give it a try.This is good stuff, a lot more wearable then Fracas ,softer and with drying down it gets even better. I don't know why is at the discount stores, because this is very good quality, and it is very long lasting without overpowering you.

FranFran

This fragrance is the only one I know that changes this much the more I get to know it. I got it late last year yet I still get surprised by it. First it was an adorable,cuddly, fluffy smell with a sweet undertone(this was only in the times I tested it in the store, and I started noticing changes from tthe first day I bought it (I described it in my previous reviews, don't wanna bore anyone with my repititions) and recently it changed yet again. I agree it has a matellic vibe, in fact I think "rubbery" describes it better. Like burnt tires, but the banana milkshake drydown always stayed the same to me. Sillage was very fickle, it was always hard to find the right balance because it would either be non existant or too strong up to the point of nausea, and thats where yesterday's experience comes in. I was at home so I wanted to use some just for a mood lifter and used two spritz on each wrist, small half spritz because I felt like keeping my smell to myself as I wasn't going out anymore. About half an hour passed and my brothers girlfriend kept speaking about how lovely I smell and asked me a lot of questions about the fragrance, even the price. 3 hours later, my friend came to my house and before she even got close to me, she said I smell...take a guess? Yet again, lovely! I was very confused at this point because even when I sniffed my wrist up close I only got a faint powdery trace and just then my maid told me she could smell me from the washing line :O never underestimate this fragrance, it's powerful, gorgeous, and knows how to make a statement and it truly is daring. People just can't give this credit for anything because they're too much of a wuss to wear this if you ask me. Amazing fragrance and it actually does have good quality. 10/10 :)

crikat
crikat

I'm a fan of white flower frags, so I had to try this one when I came across it in a discount bin at Marshall's. It delivered white flowers alright, and tried hard to make them presentable with touches of sweet amber, but there was a screechy, metallic vibe to the drydown that made it just...ok.
Then I tried layering it with Yves Roche Monoi Tiare body oil and WOW! The garden of white flowers is singing in harmony, their voices softened with benzoin and amber, the whole ensemble is softened with vanilla and leaves a trail of warm, soft musk. If you like gardenia, give this combo a try.

fighter
fighter

I have to admit that I changed my mind about this fragrance.

At first spry, a few months ago, I thought "What the hell". Initially it seemed to strong and all those white flowers were reminding me of cemetery.

Now that I've ordered a sample, I tested it and I have to admit that I really do like it. Sure it is a mature woman fragrance but the smell is so rich and luxury that I enjoy and appreciate it.

Opening notes are really sweet white florals. Then this sweetness turns more into a a huge white flower bouquet that will remain strong until the dry down.

Base notes are barely recognizable as the white flowers are so powerful that will stand during the whole journey.

Unlike other celebrity fragrances, Vanilla comes really shy, and only in the end.

Bottle is beautiful and the price is super CHEAP!

Quaylou
Quaylou

I'm still waiting for her hydrangea scent, oh wait Madonna loathes hydrangeas.

IAmVeryBigInDisBusiness
IAmVeryBigInDisBusiness

I've never been one to write an offensive review on a fragrance because of my dislike for the creator. I am not a fan of Madonna, but that does not influence my opinion on the scent. Tuberose, at times jasmine, and most of all Gardenia are signature "Old Lady" smells, and with Gardenia being the heaviest note, It even brings urine to mind. Grandma Pee, and I know the scent, I live with my Grandmother. Whether it be the Benzoin or the Amber, it is a warm fragrance, but that doesn't help preventing the nausea I receive because not only is this scent extremely... mature, but it's so very strong. To those of you who like the 3 floral notes listed above you'll love it. Not me. But hey, this is my honest review on the smell. I'm not attacking it because of the person who made it, and I'm certainly not going to call it cheap or trashy like others have done in some fan war rage.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

This is my fourth, and only successful, wearing of Truth or Dare. Aptly named in my case, as each time it seemed more like a game of chicken. The first time I over-applied, with four spritzes. I am surprised and happy to be alive today, but I got a horrendous migraine almost immediately. However, I had a number of other triggers brewing that day, so I considered this to be an unfair trial, even though I kept hearing of others on Fragrantica that became sick.

The second try was a day when I had an exercise class, where no fragrances were allowed, so I used TOD gel in my bath instead of perfume. When I got into class and started working, this huge cloud of gardenia came wafting up to surround me. Now, this is a completely fragrance-free space, they don't use any scented products to clean the space either, so any scent is exaggerated. But I was astounded. I had never known any gel to have anything close to that kind of longevity or projection.

For the third trial, I made sure I felt well, had a good night's sleep, ate some breakfast, was hydrated. I applied very lightly on my trunk and back, nothing on my arms, neck or nape. This was a day when I had a series of meetings, culminating in a meeting where I was the only woman among a bunch of silver back union reps. Seriously. I had applied two spritzes at 8 am, and late in the afternoon I am closed up in this tiny space with all these wizened old guys, and once again, the gardenia bomb goes off. Uncanny. I literally could see the moment when the TOD hit them by their facial expressions, which ranged from shock to awe.

Today's trial was just the lotion, ma'am. A little dab will do you, plus one spritz on my trunk. This seems to be the magic combination for me, with no ill effects, and a less volatile fragrance experience.

This is all about the gardenia, with the understanding that there is no natural gardenia note, all are either synthetic, or a white floral accord created using tuberose and jasmine. Or both, and that is what TOD is, a synthetic gardenia created using a synthetic jasmine and tuberose accord. The LOTV gives it a soapiness that seems a little too clean, and at odds with the intent, which I assume is to create a sensual musky floral

This is a ripe gardenia, not a green gardenia, or an overripe gardenia. It is creamier, whiter, and more potent than ET Gardenia. It does not remind me of Versace Blonde, but it does remind me of Fracas, although TOD and Fracas differ much more than they are similar. They are both very potent, heady, and flagrant, but Blonde is more tuberose, while TOD is more gardenia.

Having survived a wearing, I am unsure when I will have the prep time or guts to try this again. I have been wearing it today for seven hours, and I am struck by how consistent the lotion seems compared to the perfume.

cdred
cdred

Haha @PerfumeWhore sorry going to go a little off topic but just need to say what a hilarious review was laughing my a** off because your review reminded me of a terrible movie, terrible as in what happened in the movie is just so bad, the movie Flowers in the Attic, yes your spot on the review for this perfume sounds like the review for that movie hehe.

madhatter1
madhatter1

not bad white flower scent after dry down - never would buy at full price, however to add to my collection will buy at clearance at marshalls or tjs @ $15-20.

LisaLovesPerfume
LisaLovesPerfume

Rarely do I give bad reviews, but I think this scent is awful. It has waaaay too much gardenia with a bit of a sour smell. I will give it this much, it will last all day. If a person really loves gardenia...you have hit the jackpot with this fragrance.

PerfumeWhore
PerfumeWhore

Yes, Truth Or Dare reminds of Fracas! As Fracas is the lovely mother who had a baby at an advanced age and that baby is Truth Or Dare.

Fracas: dusty
Truth Or Dare: alive

Fracas: guilty
Truth Or Dare: innocent

Fracas: she slaps you harder and harder in the face and you resent her for
acting that way! She makes you want to break up with her.

Truth Or Dare: she slaps you hard once and then slowly wraps you with a clean hug and you forgive her...she's just a child...and she makes you care for her and you come back for more hugs to comfort her and to teach her how to not become like her Mom. Her Mom resents her, that's why she's being mean like that.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Of course it isn't other scents quality, very synthetic ingredients indeed , but for 9e the 50ml bottle I find it quite acceptable for daily wear as long you love white flowers, of which this one has a lot.

It definitely searches for a vintage first effect though the sweet middle stage and musky vanilla amber caramel drydown gives itself away as a nowadays baby.

By the way, I couldn't care less about it being by Madonna. I came to this scent by chance when reading reviews on tuberose scents and by chance again I found it at a bargain price. Im happy to own it to give turns to my various tuberose scents but I wouldn't buy it again unless I find it for a similar bargain price.

Lazaro
Lazaro

A very delicious fragrance....one of the most explosives and candy-cotton scents that i most love...

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

The Gardenia note in this - hits with a high note similar to striking a crystal glass with a fork. Ding!

Upper Register High Chord... the first blast of this is extremely BRIGHT!!! An hour or so into it, this fragrance has a very warm and inviting, almost alluring quality to it. It draws you in, but still remains very bright, sweet, and clear. On me, this is wearing much less intrusive than the fragrance that it has been most compared to-- Petit Fracas by Robert Piguet.

This is wearing so light at about three hours, that I feel it would be a good spring/summer fragrance. The first hour is VERY SHARP... so I would definitely spray this an hour before leaving for an event. It needs some dry-down time, just to soften.

---------

A fragrantica friend recommended this for an upcoming event that I have- because she said that it struck a good note between business and pleasure, and that it wore very light... similar to Eau du Ciel (which if one of my all time FAVORITE fragrances, but it only lasts about 2 hours on my skin).

I'm just now trying this for the first time and luckily, was able to find a sample of this on the internet after some intensive googling.

----------

The first 10 minutes of this is very intense and is EXTREMELY SWEET! The notes in this are clean, clear, bright, uplifting, and remind me a little bit of Calvin Klein's Eternity (the original).

I will have to see how this wears over time. So far, it is VERY GARDENIA!!! Not a bad smell, but one that I would probably only wear for certain occasions.

This is hitting a register that reminds me a bit of Spellbound by Estee Lauder or Blonde by Versace. I think that this could be a niche' fragrance, but would probably not be my go-to fragrance for a number of activities.

----------

So far, I'm missing depth in this chord. This is only coming in as HIGH Register... Soprano!!!

Personally, I prefer a fragrance with a blended chord that at least dips into the alto range to ground the notes.

Madonna?
No... if I were to smell this fragrance and then try to envision Madonna, in any way-- it really isn't a fit for me. Madonna's voice is much more alto and she is much more substantial than this fragrance would suggest. I would expect a fragrance that was more like a new variation of the original Coco by Channel, Fendi, Knowing... for Madonna's image.

"Truth or Dare"-- This fragrance reminds me more of Olivia Newton John's high whisky type notes. Very clean, bright, and high!!!

----------

Based on a number of people's reviews, they said that Fracas was very similar to this... so I got a sample of both Truth or Dare - and Fracas to compare the two. Truth or Dare is more high and sweet than Fracas. There is a depth to Fracas that is not found in the notes of Truth or Dare. Both are HIGH Register, Soprano scents. Madonna's is wearing much lighter and a bit less intrusive - within the first 15 minutes of spraying. I will have to wear them longer to really see how they unfold, then report back.

The first hour of wear, I'm liking the Fracas better due to depth and dimension that it has, which I'm not finding in the Truth or Dare scent. I think that both have their place in your wardrobe, particularly if you like fragrances that are higher octave, bright, clear, and clean. Madonna's wears a bit less intrusive than Fracas and would probably be a better fit if you worked in a tight space with others or were attending a social event where you were having to sit really close with other people... like a movie theater, theater performance, airplane, or may be in an elevator with a lot of people. Fracas has much more silage on my skin.

Truth or Dare wins the Endurance Race... at 8 hours, Madonna's fragrance is still riding the skin with the punch that you normally find in fragrances - about 4-5 hours into the game. This is TRUE TO FORM! Madonna has definitely been riding the music business with a longevity that proves that she has great endurance. This fragrance passes that test, very clearly!

---------------

Ok, I just now read the blurb on this (above)... and this was originally designed for a younger audience who would tend to like Fracas, but Fracas may be too strong on them. Now I "get it"! Yes, this definitely fills that gap in the market and Madonna is probably brilliant for capitalizing on this young market! However, I feel that this should not stop more mature women from buying and wearing this fragrance. If you like clean, crisp, high note-type fragrances... then try this... you may really like it! You may even fall in love with it!

Thelma Scents
Thelma Scents

Jasmine flirts here, but gardenia, vanilla and musk lingers on my body. I love its daringness. Not a common everywhr scent. I love that. Not a bad celebrity scent. Don't you just love the bottle? Sumthing different.

goingblonde
goingblonde

The beginning is lots of Gardenia with Tuberose & Jasmine not anything unique but nice,
then the Benzoin came in and totally ruined it for me , all the pretty florals disappeared :(.

EDT- Longevity 10/10 -still lingered fainty after my bath !

bobbydrugan
bobbydrugan

had a wee spritz the other day wow what a fresh sweet but not sickly fragrance,rather shocked and impressed xx

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

The opening of this is horrendous. It smells like a hair salon after a hairspray blitz. Actually, if you know what Sebastian's Molding Mud smells like- that's it! For the rest of us, it is pure synthetic gardenia, which at first is very cloying. After a while, it settles a touch still prominently gardenia, but a slightly creamier version reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor's Gardenia without the sharp punch in the face.

It also has undertones of beach and suntan lotion. The sillage is good and the staying power- well let's just say I am smelling my sleeve from yesterday to get my impressions. I would recommend purchasing Bobbi Brown Beach instead of this because of the dry down. That's the part you want to get to and Beach hits it right off the bat without wafting through the hot mess of a beginning.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

So I had to try this, the reviews are all over the place, love it or hate it. Found a decent price online and received it today. I was so looking forward to this monster of a fragrance! People said it was very potent and almost suffocating so imagine my surprise when after a spritz I am left with nothing but a gentle gardenia. Wah Wah. If you live in the states you are probably familiar with Sarah Michael's body and bath products. They are sold at drugstores and there are a variety of scents, rose,peach, and of course the one I wore in high school Gardenia. That's what this is my good old drugstore gardenia in a fancy bottle. I was hoping for a little of the tuberose to come through or the vanilla people had mentioned but nothing came through on me. Good thing I know someone who will love this. If you want a simple gardenia scent head to Walgreens or hit up Amazon for Sarah Michaels Gardenia dry oil spray or pay much more for this one.

clancyann
clancyann

I succumbed when it hit the $10 mark at TJ Maxx. I sort of regret it, but I'm going to hang onto it for a while to decide what I truly think about it.

loulou70
loulou70

Was a bit dubious about this one but glad I took a chance and bought it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea as it has a strong floral scent at the start but when it settles down wow and it lasts on the skin. Love it.

lemmenkukka
lemmenkukka

This is dynamite - in a good way. At first I thougt this is way too heavy, but now I like it. It´s fascinating! You have to be patient and let it develop at least half an hour or so.After 2 hours it rewards you (or at least me!!) - soft oriental nights, gentle wind whispers...aahh!What a soft and powdery complexion. I was totally amazed.
This reminds me very much of Lancome's Poeme, but this is deeper. Poeme never worked on my skin but this does. Men like this very much, always get compliments from them no matter what age they are!
You have to put this only one light spritz and that´s enough.Use very light hand.
And remember: Every fragrance can be a masterpiece on a right skin!

Inesis
Inesis

I tried this on my skin the first time today and the result... Yuck. I'm getting a headache. There is something familiar in this, but it's not good. It's stingy and invades my nose rudely. Definitely not buying, even for a discount.

freddinos
freddinos

It was a good decision to resist the urge to buy it blind from TKMaxx the other day (they were selling it for really cheap) based only on the reviews that Truth or Dare smells like Fracas and Blonde. I own both of them, and I thought maybe this could be a cheaper alternative for all those occasions I do not want to waste the real thing. Well it does not smell like either. At all. This is all gardenia (with maybe a hint of tuberose in the top notes),whereas the other two are pure animalic, creamy, sexy tuberose. Truth or Dare falls in the Pure Poison category: a sterile white floral, not a warm and intoxicating one. Unfortunately it was not my taste at all:( It seems I will have to keep spending the real thing after all...

zdafina
zdafina

Love it. Smell so pure and last long.

lindsaylohan
lindsaylohan

I have to say I'm kind of surprised by all the negative reviews for this fragrance. Truth or Dare by Madonna to me is a beautiful creamy white floral. Maybe its because I'm a fan of gardenia, but the scent of this perfume is heavenly. At times I see this as a more adult version of Jessica Simpson's Fancy Love, perfect for day time wear. The fragrance has an incredible lasting power (which for celebrity brand fragrances is rare these days) and the scent is very rich and distinct. One or two sprays go a long way. Don't be alarmed by the silage either, it sprays heavy initially but dries down to a beautiful, light floral that isn't overwhelming or offensive. I also have to say I'm very impressed by how hands on Madonna was in creating this fragrance, from the scent she wanted to capture down to the bottle (which looks beautiful on my dresser) Lastly,I think this scent translates better in colder weather so I try to wear it during the fall and winter seasons.

Am I the only person who reads Madonna's perfume TRUTH OR DARE as a cross between the Juicy Couture caramel perfumes and FRACAS (in a 3:1 ratio)? The sweet stickiness is all Juicy Couture. The extra dose of tuberose is all FRACAS. But the quality is definitely closer to Juicy Couture, in my opinion. To be honest, I am a bit disappointed after some of the raving I've seen about this--even among some of my best perfume pals!

Perhaps I need to put this into perspective and recompute. This is a celebrity fragrance, after all. It is put out by Coty Prestige, after all. BHT numbers among its ingredients (as is true of every Coty Prestige perfume I've seen). So what was I thinking? I picked up a 2.5 ounce bottle at TJMaxx for $25. Hello? How could this be a great perfume?

The bottle is really unattractive to me. This is a case where the image on screen is much more appealing than the physical reality. The paint job looks cheap. The bottle looks cheap. And the cap? I do believe that this one usurps the crown from the original LA PERLA for worst cap of all time! Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! Why????? Oh, right, I almost forgot. This was a Coty Prestige celebrity launch.

Libran
Libran

Wow, this is a smack in the nose! Powerful and heady! The tuberose and gardenia are loud and scary at first! Apply with a very light hand and you wont be sorry! There is something very sexy and alluring after the dry down, the fragrance becomes quite animal and musky and it lasted for hours and hours on me. You have to wait for the vanilla and amber but its worth it, this fragrance smells very expensive. Reminds me a bit of Tom Ford Black Orchid without the truffle!

kaysee
kaysee

gardenia
gardenia
gardenia.
and some good longevity.
starts a bit strong but the dry down is fresh and flowery. really nice.

noori
noori

The first minutes of Truth or Dare remind me of Fracas nontheless, however, Truth or Dare is not as loud as Fracas. Both starts out as a big floral, but while Fracas stays big and floral, Truth or Dare seems to go for a safer direction. The tuberose gets lost more and more, while gardenia takes the lead, and later it is a white flowers (more prominent gardenia, jasmine and even lilly than tuberose)&vanilla-scent. Maybe that's what they ment of Truth or Dare being "modern", but to me it seems they could not decide how to really do it, and the result became really nice, but nothing outstanding.

If I would like to have a gardenia-oriented scent, there are plenty others which do it better. If I want a big and loud, almost voluptuous tuberose, I'd go for Fracas, if I want a youthfull or modern tuberose, I'd choose Nuit de Tubereuse or Do Son (my second fav tuberose), or even Petit Fracas; and since I do have Fracas, I don't see why I would get Truth or Dare.

Jerine123
Jerine123

Wow this one packs a punch! It is very gardenia and tuberose for about the first three hours. It is like the energizer bunny and goes on and on and on.....it is much headier than Fracas and the tuberose packs a wallop. After about three or four hours it dries down to a LITTLE softer white floral but gardenia still leads the way. Not like a Juicy C gardenia or even a Fracas softer gardenia or even the Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia fragrance. Much much stronger and sharper with the benzoin. Later it settles down to a mature daring floral and I kind of like it! Never get the amber or carmel, only the musk. It is not the typical watery aqua fearful "stay in the celebrity zone" type of fragrance that you sniff everywhere else. A little raw and daring but still a floral. Interesting and thank goodness it is not another candy, lollipop, bubblegum, marshmallow replica. Aren't we tired of those by now?

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

A lovely gardenia fragrance ~ it was my pleasure to sample this one today!

I've not sampled Fracas as yet, so I can make no comparison to Truth or Dare.

What this is NOT ~ Kim Kardashian! They are both gardenia - centric scents; that is the sole similarity for me.

What it IS ( at least on my skin ) ~ a low cost alternative to Goutal's Gardenia Passion! Here the vanilla adds additonal sweetness, slightly modernizing a rather ladylike fragrance.

Truth or Dare is a sumptuous, heady floral. Like another reviewer, I find myself wishing for less vanilla and some leather or animalics to balance the cloying aspect. Very nice, though perhaps no modern classic!

Jovan's Island Gardenia is still the best budget Gardenia I have ever experienced, and my personal favorite at any price. There's a reason it's been a best seller at Walmart.com for years. Layered with Yves Rocher Gardenia Monoi oil, you enter Gardenia Lover's Heaven!!

kraxa
kraxa

A friend had a sample, a sprayed a tiny bit (was warned that this is powerfull stuff) on my wrists, and even after having washed my hands my head is about to explode. somebody mentioned a three hour headache earlier, I hope I am not in for two more hours of agony!

Donaldquick123

Th or dare by Madonna is a very mature scent but in a good way of course I am 18 years old and I truly enjoy more mature scents this scent to me is a white floral explosion just white floral after white floral but I love it 9/10

By now I own this scent. I'm really sorry but have to say that I find it nauseating. I like white florals and I think the scent is nice too. It's strong and powerful. It's a statement. But everytime I wear it I really get sick. It's strange. I haven't really experienced such a reaction with perfume and me often.

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

I purchased the large 2.5 oz edp at TJMaxx yesterday for only $15. At that price, I was willing to take the risk despite the mixed reviews that tend toward the negative. So I got home, sprayed some on my wrist, and waited to be impressed. Why I had high hopes, I don't know. Indeed, it is a clone of Fracas, but somehow flatter. Not horrible, but not great artistry either. I kept my thoughts to myself and held it out for my son to judge. At the tender age of 7 he already has an amazing sense of beauty. Really, he has an artistic streak that is just innate, I cannot claim credit for it. So his verdict?

"It's so so."

"That's it? That is all you have to say?"

"You wasted your money."

"It was only $15!"

"Then you wasted $15 of your money."

Ok, so the $15 bought me a mediocre bottle of perfume but also sparked a conversation that proved my son's paternity and proved that counting all those paper nickels and dimes for homework has been a worthwhile exercise after all. Not bad at all for $15.

damewolf13
damewolf13

This is an amazing perfume which smells unlike any other perfume I have ever tried!
On my skin this scent is a buttery smooth blend of rich amber and sweet vanilla sugar, with a touch of exotic benzoin, mingling with the most aromatic bouquet of white flowers, with the emphasis on fragrant gardenia blossoms. This one is quite different, and I will always want to keep a bottle of this on hand.
It is both rich, and light, and has great longevity while never becoming overpowering or cloying!
Give this one a chance, and you will see the delightful difference.

hautegaunt
hautegaunt

popcorn & flowers

Heady, animalic and sexy. It does remind me of Madonna's SEX coffee table book or when she was in Body of Evidence with Willem Dafoe.
If Truth or Dare had less vanilla and some leather or tobacco it would be perfect. Unfortunately it's all sex and no edge. Still, I love that it makes me think of not only Madonna but other 90's actresses beloved for playing skanks. Think Sherilyn Fenn in Boxing Helena.

Skanky tuberose+gardenia and a boatload of benzoin.

In fact - this is a very nice scent, if you use it carefully. 1 small spray lasts for many, many hours and make you smell wonderful, if you sprey 3-4 times this one will be thick and overwhelming in a awful way. This is not a modern sugarsweet parfum - maybe thats why many don't like it - I can smell lots of white deep flowernotes just halfwaysweet as I love. The Benzoin, Amber and Musk makes a great base with Gardenia, Lily, Vanilla and Jasmin. Very longlasting on my skin!

Faktiskt - en riktigt fin doft, om du bara använder lite. 1 sprejning gör att du doftar underbar för många, många timmar men om du tar på 3-4 sprejningar, så kommer den att bli en mardröm. Den är inte modernt sockersöt, kanske därför många inte gillar den. Jag känner djupa vita blomnoter som är halvsöta, prexis som jag gillar dem. Benzoin, Amber, Musk skapar en härlig bas tillsammans med Gardenia, Lilja, Vanilj och Jasmin. Otroligt hållbar på min hud.

Donaldquick123

by far this is one of my Favorite smells!

Leonie Sophia
Leonie Sophia

Not sure it compares to Versace Blonde. Blonde is a very smooth creation, Truth or Dare is more screechy and definitely louder.

Alexandre
Alexandre

Wow, what a delight,all the flowers I like , gardenia, tuberose and jasmine command the fragrance, I'm done! Intoxicating, better to use at night! I understand the disappointment of many fans, I think they expected something trendy, fruity, gourmand, but when it comes to Madonna, it's always a surprise, love or hate, truth or dare ... The vanilla adds a special touch ... I love it ...

Chickenboo
Chickenboo

♪♫♪ Like a Version ♪♫♪

...of Fracas.

Allinug
Allinug

Only white strong flowers all the time, headache and nausea, no thank you, off you go.

grazzia
grazzia

Dear TOD, now you have my attention... I've never been a big fan of Madonna & I wasn't interested in her fragrances, but this one opened with such a bang it could not be overlooked...

It opens with a strong blast of gardenia and tuberose. It is sweet like hard-candy and loud at the beginning. On my skin TOD gets better and better with time: it gets creamier and softer and it becomes more sothing and powdery.

It is very strong, so I have to be careful when I apply it; 1 or 2 sprays are usually enough for me; but it lasts and lasts and lasts...

I think it's a nice daily fragrance for a great price. A sassy-classy lady in a bottle.

FranFran

I must share an experience I had today with everyone interested in buying this. I've been wearing TOD for about 5 months, and today I was in the mood for something a bit dark smelling(it is a bit dark in my opinion) and went for this. So we had our physical activities at school, which we often get overworked for and I'm left feeling a tad bit nauseas after some sessions. None however, while I was wearing this. Today I was nauseas again, and I suddenly got enveloped by wave after wave of this and then-Well, I'm sure you can guess what happened next! Thankfully no one saw besides my best friend, but I was very disturbed. It was still in the morning, about 2 hours after a very light breakfast and TOD had enough power to aggravate it to that extent. I promised myself I would never wear TOD again, but now that I'm feeling stable and over it I'll just go ahead and use it again in the heart of winter like the stubborn donkey I am XD. PS: I was only wearing 3 sprays of TOD when it did this, so be careful how you use this.

marcello19

LOVE it!!! First of all I have to tell, that I'm not a fan of Madonna. It was a blindbuy, but I really happy that I bought this one. Fortunately it was really cheap, so I could get the 75ml edition. It is sweet, white-floral, lasts really long time and has a really good sillage, all in all: PERFECT, everything I wanted in a fragrance. I really love the bottle, it is not tacky at all. Can't wait to get the Naked version too.

UPDATE: I have this for about 1.5 months now, and I use it nearly everday. I still really love it. Yesterday when I wore it, I smelt something milky-coconuty along with the dewy gardenia and the honeyish tuberose plus the caramelised amber, and OMFG what a mesmerizing perfume!!!! I love this one even more.

jackcrew
jackcrew

I like it, but not in love with it. It is definitely gardenia in a pure form with the benzoin and vanilla encircling it. For some reason, it reminds me of coconut too. The issue with this isn't that it smells bad, but rather its lack of balance. The sweet begs for a counterweight: something spicy or tart or green. From the reviews below, people complain about its strength. It is powerful, but use it like you would a parfum and go lightly. Spray it on the other pulse points such as behind the knees and its very pleasant.

Sh1rlG1rl
Sh1rlG1rl

Well well well... I knew there was a reason I had yet to make up my mind on this perfume. First of all, I, like most here, LOVE perfume. Seldom do I encounter a perfume that I totally dislike and when I do, I arrive at this conclusion only after at least a few 'fittings', always keeping an open mind that many factors can affect my decision. My mood definitely is a crucial contributor, but the time of year and the temperature outside seem to play a more important role as I my collection grows and my nose evolves.
TRUTH or DARE: you definitely dared me to show dislike for you every time we met. You tried to be the rebel, but I finally saw the truth. You just needed to put me through the paces so that no matter what decision I made, it would be an honest one. I am absolutely smitten! You've won me over! Another example of "A First Impression NOT ALWAYS Being The Best Impression." Well done.

parfumeguru
parfumeguru

I was curious about this one, you know, Madonna!! not some newcomer singer..etc. I had a sample of Fracas last year, which Madonna exclusively worn (I think), and this is along the lines of Fracas. Vintagey, Fracasy, and definitely tuberosey. And it becomes a musky tuberose after an hour or so. Not everyone's cup of tea. For now, I am liking it. I got it from TJMaxx today. ($24.99)

patrick-fragrancelover
patrick-fragrancelover

Extremely sweet candied vanilla all the way through, with a tuberose explosion. Intoxicating, in the worst of ways. Projection is huge, it lasts forever, and I hate it. I'll always love "Like a Prayer" though! This however, never again.

vzant
vzant

I had a month of liking it but in the end i find it a bit heavy and a little bit annoying to my nose although i got some good compliments...it's milky somehow...

veronicab
veronicab

Tested it today and wanted to like it because of the top notes...most scents I own are tuberose, gardenia, jasmine. But this one was way too sweet and strong. Perhaps its the vanilla that doesn't work on my skin. I had to roll down the window on the drive home to air out the car!

vood-oohlala
vood-oohlala

WHHHAAAAAATTTTT?????? This is supposed to be a "sexy" fragrance? Ok,i love unique packaging major points for aesthetics... it reminds me of a holy water flask by way of a fetish prop. I purchased this fragrance blind (34$ after-holiday giftset clearance) out of curiosity and for the bottle. This juice is the most typical white floral gardenia/jasmine overload i have ever sniffed. Its certainly heady which i like..i enjoy heavier scents, but it isnt at ALL as sultry and sensual as i assumed it would be. Its friggin' Madonna...why is this so boring? Its a nice white floral, but aside from the bottle,very pedestrian. The only aspect of this fragrance that i enjoy is the creamy sweet floral warmth which comes across soon after the headrush of florals dissolves.

Madonna, points for a sophisticated scent...its certainly nice for what it is, but "nice" isnt interesting.

newton904@hotmail.co.uk
newton904@hotmail.co.uk

Sorry Madonna I love you and all you stand for but unfortunately I do not like this perfume. I was given a sample and tried it out today. I love vanilla and sweet oriental fragrances but not this one. It reminds me of a fragrance by Yardley years ago called Fresia I dont get any musk at all. Maybe its my PH but it doesnt suit me.

bibiche64
bibiche64

J'adore ce parfum qui est très solaire. C'est une vraie réussite. J'apprécie beaucoup le mélange tubéreuse et jasmin.
On se sent très femme avec ce parfum, il plait beaucoup d'ailleurs et il est peu porté en France, donc on se sent unique.
Par contre Naked est sucré, écoeurant, il m'a beaucoup déçu. Madonna s'est pas trop foulé pour cette version

Gandhilama
Gandhilama

This one, wow! It is just wayyyy to strong. The bottle is gorgeous but I get an instant headache the minute it comes through my nasal passage. This would be good for a lady over 40, it`s one of those fragrances you get a whiff of when you're eating in a nice restaurant and all of a sudden you feel nauseated and are unable to eat your meal. Yeah pretty strong.

Ms S
Ms S

My first ever "celebrity" fragance, and I have to say I love it, I am a big fan of Tuberose but sometimes it doesn't work on my skin, like Michael Kors. Truth or Dare is a creamy tuberose and sweetie gardenia and I want it to wrapped and confort me.

tabithacate
tabithacate

I recieved a sample of this in a giveaway by Po. I was not quite sure what to expect as a lot of people on here seem to dislike it. But I thought I would try it out and wear it to work. To test how long it lasts, and how it smells with my body chemistry.
First spray VERY STRONG maybe too strong. Sweet flowers, candy and an explosion of tuberrose. A couple of minutes later after all these explosions of things you wouldn't normally wear in a scent it all begins to settle in and blend nicely together.
This is not your typical Chanel, Dior, Britney Spears perfume this is a unique and old fashioned classy yet modern perfume. I can see why people dislike it, but after the candy and flower mixtures, it began to smell really nice.
A real different Celebrity scent, I now want a full sized bottle.

aqua76239

I wrote a review on this while back but didn't buy this scent until this weekend. Just wanted to add that lasting power is fantastic with this-it lasts and lasts and you can smell it on your clothes for a long time. I only sprayed twice and was walking around in a cloud of tuberose and caramel for hours.
I also saw that apperently some people are comparing it to KK scent. No way. This smells NOTHING like KK which is rather linear fresh gardenia/tuberose, its very greenish floral. Truth or Dare is rich heavy all inveloping tuberose that is almost overwelmingly sweet because of added caramel and vanilla note.

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

I couldn't wait to try T or D...unfortunately, It smelled like how Greek parsley tastes but burnt. I actually love her updated milk bottle design! Bummed I moved on to Kim Kardashians signature bottle and I couldn't believe that it smelled just like Madonnas piece... Wha? Still excited to find my new scent, I moved to Lovely by Sarah Jessica and it was a lighter version of the first two at first spray but dries down cleaner. Lovely is just ok.

I will stick with Miss Dior, Coco Madamoiselle and Shalimar Initial... I know half the women in the country wear them but that's because they smell beautiful like perfume is supposed to be!

Ana_Raio
Ana_Raio

The chemistry of this perfume was optimal in my skin! The setting is great! It's inevitable that the memory of Fracas come to the fore ... I prefer Fracas, but Truth or Dare suited me a lot ... ;)

truffles
truffles

Tried this on in Boots over Christmas. First smell - a beautiful surprise. A gorgeous tuberose smell. I'm not a madly 'floral' parfumista but this makes me want to get to know tuberose better (tried the Kim Kardashian one, found it a bit blah). Unfortunately the tuberose soon gives way to a horrible and jarring synthethic chemical smell of .. burning rubber tyres?? ..one of those really toxic marker pens?? Something like that anyway. This second smell emerges and totally takes over the perfume, it's overpowering. For something 'burnt' it's got a cold, hard edge to it too. ('edgy'?)
If Madonna was paying tribute to Fracas (which I've never smelled) but her frag has a 'modern twist' or something (with the burning rubber), I'm off running towards Fracas!
The bottle looks like it should have holy water in it, not really what I want my perfume bottles to look like..

basgam
basgam

I guess Madonna wanted to copy Fracas - classic worn by Marilyn Monroe. I don't understand why any celebrity, when having a fragrance created and signed by their name would repeat something already existing. They could just stick to scents they've been wearing.

tubereuse
tubereuse

Smelled this today and got a three hour headache. It's kind of like a very weak and chemical smelling Blonde wannabe. No offense if anyone else likes this or smells good on you. Just not for me, oh well. Aside from the perfume, Madonna is still a queen and sooo amazing even today!

I don't like Madonna, so I have to put this thought aside :-) Apart from that I find it a nice white flower scent with intensity. Just my surrounding thinks that the scent is unbearable. And for me it's the Madonna-connection that puts it a bit off. So I guess I will be buying other white flower scents.

jellybeantree

This is so good, and my first celebrity fragrance purchase. This fragrance is not doing well , a lot of people don't like it, I love tuberose ! Just bought the 50 ml with lotion and body wash! Amazing, very happy to wear this fragrance!
I originally gave this fragrance a bad review, I tried it in the summer I guess and it seemed very strong to me, or something. Now I am very surprised at the quality of this scent and its lasting power. I should have never doubted madonna ,she is a perfectionist and a perfume lover so she would never make just another celebrity fragrance. If you are a lover of Tuberose and gardenia than this is a great everyday scent. The body products left my skin feeling soft and are true to the scent itself. I have ran away from celebrity fragrances and never thought I would ever buy one but there is a first for everything. Give a try. It's worth it.

trueblue19

I tested ToD again today. Now I see why I love it. Despite the very floral opening, the heart of it is a bit floral-gourmand like. I got a fluffy nutty earthy sweetness, which I think is the benzoin, as I found the same in Prada Candy. Big bonus for me!

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

TRUTH? It takes a DARE to wear it

Shame there isn't a button on here that says "urgh I HATE it" and "I dont want it"
In the beginning I was introduced to Madonna scent world via Madonna Lady Mypa, which I love! So when this launched I nearly blind bought it - glad I didn't! I had seen it more recently in TJMAxx, at a reduced price, then it was reduced more, then reduced some more.. then reduced AGAIN! Next reduction they would have to give ME money - so I bought it. Why didn't I take the reduction as a hint to its popularity?? :/
I am a huge fan of tuberose, the best being Michael Kors, Michael. WOW.. But this? WTF IS IT? I tubersose shmultz. Its a mixed salad. Its doesn't know wtf it is! Tubey is there, but with so many other sickly notes, its the equivalent of a gale force 9 atlantic crossing hanging over the deck. Pluurrghhhh. Goodbye lunch. Sorry
******April 2013 update**********
THIS has changed into one of my favourites. I use it every day (the body lotion) It grabbed me and said "you better get to like me, you b*tch" so I did! Disregard the above... no longer hated, we are mated

Nikki_B
Nikki_B

ooooh what to say about this fragrance. The bottle is really nice and stands out on the shelves, its a shame that the fragrance stands out for all the wrong reasons.Its a long lasting smell, which would be good if it was a nice smell. I'm not sure what this fragrance is apart from a big mess, all the big florals combine together to create this foul smelling almost cat urine smell. I expected better from this bottle. I'm sure someone could pull it off but no one i saw smell it seemed enthused, i didn't dare spray it on myself so i took the tester strip with me and smelled it occationally to see if it developed into a nicer smell but it only took a slightly sweeter version of the cat urine smell :( definately not one to add to my collection. Bold white floral unusual fragrance. I'd advise smelling it before buying otherwise you could be in for a shock.

Hollyberri
Hollyberri

Big Tuberuse and Gardinia opening (I mean big) I was worried a headache was impending, but wait a few moments and...ahhh lovely. The dry down keeps surprising me, a beautiful sweet mellow floral. Really like this one.

trueblue19

Hahaha sorry but it's just too funny. Truth or Dare is really a touchstone for perfume snobs! I tested it earlier with someone who only collects niche frags e.g Serge Lutens, Tauer, Kilian, Amouage etc. She turned her nose on ToD while I admitted I actually LOVE it. I'm not particularly a Madonna fan but I respect her as an icon of style and class. Today I sprayed it and let her sniff my wrist telling her it's a niche. She almost ate my wrist and went nuts about it.

ROFL!!!

Now let's move on to the perfume itself. I don't understand why people would expect something extraordinary enough to blow their head off from Madonna. She is one of a kind but this is her perfume. You'd probably relate something from Madonna with words such as power, mystery, lust...but ToD is actually...quite adorable. I can't stand Fracas but this one is purely pleasant to my nose. It's by no means a complex frag or a flower bomb and thank god its not fruity at all. To me it's just about tuberose, gardenia, vanilla and amber, linear but very long lasting. Tuberose is not over-the-top creamy and gardenia not sharp so you have my proof coz I'm white flower vulnerable. It's like Fracas out of bath, undressed and makeup removed, simply alluring and elegant like a woman should be with that soft powdery sweet mist lingering around her body. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm getting a big bottle when I finish the sample. After all the name is the only thing I don't like about it (anyone prefer Memoir instead?). Don't take this as some usual celeb frags. It's seriously good.

jellybeantree

I retried this one and its actually quite nice , I love tuberose , it's strong at first but softens and becomes sweeter . I wouldn't mind wearing this. I got lots of compliments!

JosephYoga
JosephYoga

One of the best fragrances I've ever smelled. It smells like a regal rich classy sexy clean woman.

SwagScent
SwagScent

This smells a lot better than I expected.

mirisfrik
mirisfrik

I tried this one some time during summer break and it instantly gave me headache. Terrible thing was that I couldn't get rid of this scent off my wrist. But it was almost 40 Celzius degree that day.
Yesterday, during Christmas shopping i stopped at Armani counter and attracted to the beautiful bottle of Code luna i sprayed it to my wrist. The beautiful, sexy and sweet scent was with me the whole day, but it was sooo familiar to something i tried already...after some time thinkig i finnally rememberd - it reminded me of Madonna truth or dare!
I went to my local drugstore today and sprayed some truth or dare on my wrist - and bump! This is it - the beautiful, sexy and sweet scent, pretty rare on the market. I think I'm going to buy a full size bottle, because this is exactly the perfume type that is missing in my collection!

RedLady
RedLady

Eurgh. Expected something much more edgy and sexual from Madonna. How disappointed I was. Very sweet, very sickly and overwhelmingly floral. And its strong gardenia presence implies its for the more mature age group too, which is also something I wasn’t expecting. Definitely not a fan.

Sonia505
Sonia505

The Gardenia & Tuberous literally knock me out, love it, if you want to be smelled before you enter the room, go for it :D

I got this for a great price off Fragrance direct and a free tote bag, the bag is naff :P

ingalee
ingalee

Now I have got home a sample of madonna secnt.The first idea came when I got the smell of the perfume was very floral and Oldfashioned, but the longer I went with it and smelled the richer I think actually i like it.After a while it becomes a more warmer scent that leans perhaps the rose and vanilla.The secnt lasts very long.

so when my 2 samples is over, I know one who will buy a big bottle!

But I think I recognize the scent in any way, just do not know what, any old rose scent perhaps???!

ALONE17
ALONE17

Curious, tuberous really Madonna. reflect the personality of our age.
shut.. aline

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I had tried this when it first came out and thought - hey, not as bad as it might have been but a little to much of a Fracas-lite for me. Time passes - tested again today and suddenly I am smitten. It developed very well and the amber really got very warm and seductive. A slight medicinal edge emerged that was actually interesting and the longevity was frankly amazing. Am going to head back to the store and buy some this week. Sometimes it is worth having another sniff.....

Aceynikon
Aceynikon

This smells awful, very cheap and nasty. Almost identical to Red Door. I had to wash it off my skin.

Jomoves

I reviewed this one rather negatively when it first came out. Anyway, today I decided to use the rest of my sample spray.

I have already received 3 compliments and it's only 1.00pm. Collectivley, that's more than any other fragrance I have worn in the last 15 years!

opa
opa

My first application of this frag. brought me somewhat around of 38 years back to my before prim.school time and the feeling of current me but in that time was as fairy-tale like one.. Serenity, security, calming cosiness with something mesmerising and promisingly calling to .. I wasn't prepared for such a journey then but so much grateful to Madonna for giving me that unique chance of that miracle like sense. I am still in an observation phase of collaboration of this perfume with my chemistry but I have to say it feels like being wrapped with an exceptionally fine angora-cashmere shawl which makes me feel calm, safe, cosy and very womanly.. A bit too strong at the beginning this one quickly settles down to
a smooth velvety aroma and the longevity of it on my skin goes up to 12-14 hours/a lot longer on a clothes/. Love it!

I had it and found it hard to wear, probably because it is a tuberose bomb, and because the scent has a classic edge.It is well done dont get me wrong , but it seems to be such a personal interpretation of perfume by Madonna , based on her love for Fracas, that it is based on Fracas, without the harshness and the masculine side.
I will try Naked as I think it will be more wearable for those who aren't tuberose lovers . Had the base been stronger with sweet notes I think the scent would have been more balanced also.
As for me I never felt comfortable wearing it.

griffon
griffon

I first got the chance to smell Truth or Dare back when it was initially released and Macy's at my mall still carried it. I didn't really know what to expect since it is Madonna, but when I first smelled the fragrance from the bottle I thought it was awful. I reminded me of Sweet Tarts gone wrong. However, once I sprayed it I discovered that it was indeed better than Sweet Tarts and was extremely floral. After that, I turned my head and had no intention of smelling it again.

Recently I discovered that Madonna was releasing her second perfume, Truth or Dare Naked, and was intrigued much more by the notes in that one compared to Truth or Dare. But, I figured I better test out the original before buying Naked. I purchased the 1.7oz. from a site that had the perfume discounted since Macy's no longer carries it on their main site, and just received it today.

I was a bit hesitant to spray it on my skin, let alone in the air, since many had said that it is extremely heavy and lasts for hours on end. But, after a few minutes, I decided to test it on my wrists. The bottle is very neat in that the shape and design of it are very generic yet original at the same time. I especially like the ridged edges in contrast to the smooth white surface that composes the bottle.

On the initial first spray, the tuberose and gardenia combination is very evident. It seemed as if you're standing in a room surrounded by the two plants, and the scent goes right to my temples when sniffed. It's a strong, strong, strong first impression, and I can definitely understand why Truth or Dare is dubbed a "white floral."

After about 4-5 hours the jasmine started to take over, and I still have yet to get a chance to smell the base. The fragrance is long-lasting I will say, and the main opening notes really power through for hours on end. I went to practice for two hours and I could still smell the tuberose and gardenia notes easily in the air around me.

I do believe that this fragrance is marketed more towards people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, but it is a timeless scent that every generation can relate to. Overall, Truth or Dare is a well-executed and extremely successful perfume in it's longevity and strong base notes. I enjoy it, but wish the tuberose and gardenia were toned down just a tiny bit.

Nicole79
Nicole79

ohhhh...this is not an easy to like/love fragrance at all !
White and strong flowers, sour and sweet.
Test before u buy.
A plus for the lasting power.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

Very, very tuberose, so if you like that, you'll love this. Surprisingly soft and feminine, I was expecting something edgier from Madonna, but she has gone down a vintage/classic route with this, and it's no bad thing.

I feel the plastic bottle does not do this justice and it would have been better with a glass bottle.

Gaelle
Gaelle

Beautiful and, yes (some will say it's blasphemy :)), pretty similar to Fracas. So, if you're looking for a more affordable version, Truth or Dare is a good option.

Staying power is decent - 5 hours on my skin.

celebrity89
celebrity89

Lush, spicy gardenia/magnolia scent. Classic, pretty and a bit edgy like our girl.
Smells very much like E.T.'s Diamonds and Emeralds and the original Prell products. YUM!!!

marcello19

Is this similar to D&G's La Roue de la Fortune (Anthology 10)?

Heleniko
Heleniko

This perfume is NOT like Fracas! It was my blind buy according to your reviews. It is incomparable with Fracas. Yet, this doesn't mean Truth or Dare isn't good. It is completely different. Sweet, not bitter. Good for every day use. Better than most celebrity's perfume.

damitajojackson
damitajojackson

I guess this perfume is made for mothers. Whenever I smell it, I just think of my mother and my childhood. This smell just makes me homesick. And I bought this perfume for my mother. It's just so mommy-ish and emotional.

Hairytrees1
Hairytrees1

I picked up a 75 ml bottle of this for £4.99 at TK Maxx I can only assume they thought the box contained the body moisturiser because the RRP of 75ml eau de parfum is certainly not £15!! AmAzing bargain! I love the scent, it is a very bold and creamy floral with noticable Tuberose, gardenia and ambery vanilla and the drydown smells like a flowery banana milkshake does anyone else find this? :p It lasts and lasts, I sprayed it 12 hours ago and can still detect the sweet drydown on my wrist. It is an immense and well blended fragrance!

perfumebox
perfumebox

I tested tuberose scents extensively the past month or two, and Truth or Dare has emerged as one of my favorites. It has an underlying warmth and accessibility that's addictive.

I was ambivalent when I smelt the tester botte (sickeningly sweet on the nozzle) and was afraid the complexity of the flower would be drowned out by the sweet gourmand accord. On the skin however, I was glad to find that the creamy, spiky-tart freshness of the florals are still definitely the star of the show. (My husband, who hates sweet scents, picked this out of the lot as the most beautiful after blind-smelling Fracas, Carnal Flower, and Blonde on my skin.)

Personal chemistry aside, I do wish it was a bit cheaper, but that's just my biased expectation that celeb scents should be very affordable. I'm not complaining.

Cams
Cams

Fantastic in colder weather and lasts for more than 14 hours!

Edit: wore it twice but I knew in my heart that I would never wear it again. Gave it to a more loving home ;)

FranFran

Purchased this and just thought I'd add a few details. When I first smelt it, I had no idea why everyone was so afraid of it in summer/spring, it smelt very airy to me and could pass as a fragrance for all seasons. I wore this today, and then I realized why. Before all I got was gardenia with a touch of tuberose, and today was the same at first spritz, but then it actually changed, quite a lot, into what made me realise its better for colder weather. The caramelized amber and benzoin came out A LOT on me, it reminded me of a man's perfume dipped in caramel. I really liked the smell, even though it was a surprise. It smelt like this for most of the day, and personally its my least favourite part. I don't hate it, I like it a lot but it was 30 degrees celcius and I was in a class filled with barbaric boys so it was a bit cloying. My favourite is either the top notes or the vanilla that appears before the fragrance dissappears. Now onto sillage and longevity, this is a killer! Really good quality! I knew I was going to be out for the whole day so I used one spritz on each wrist and one on my neck, and when I came out of my room my mother could smell me down the passage! I thought to myself that it must be this strong because I just put it on. About 1 and a half hours later, I walked in and my friend who hates this fragrance said he could smell it from far, and it actually smells nice for once. A few hours later(by the caramelized amber part) I opened the window and in came a breeze carrying truth or dare to home and he said "ew! Close your window! Your akarbati shit is coming here!" LOL (akarbati is a type of insence, I think). I put it on at about 7 in the morning, and it wore off at about 6 PM, and even now at 7 I'm still getting slight whiffs of vanilla and gardenia. The "grape hard candy" smell that everyone is talking about is the tuberose, but if you looking for something grape-ish then this is not for you, as the "grape" smelling part does not last long at all, and I now understand why its primary target is 35-45 year olds. Its not just for them though, I'm a 16 year old and I like it too, it starts off smelling really fluffy, cute and huggable, then it smells like provocative yet mature and classy when the amber and benzoin joins the party, and it stays strong thoughout the day. Not for the shy girly girls, but for more mature and grown up women who knows what they want and goes for it, and is really an impressive start to Madonna's fragrances.

sweetgirl
sweetgirl

i actually got a bottle given to me by my co-worker and it is a full new bottle....and i actually turned away from this scent at first....and now its winter...i tried this on my skin and its wonderful on me....this is not too much but just right amber...and it smells very floral coconutty beachy on my skin...love!

Daisyloverr
Daisyloverr

I really wanted to like this.

I don't usually say this about perfumes, but this one was horrible. Too floral, absolutely. It gave me a headache because it was too heavy. Too many white flowers. It was so sharp scent that it reminded me of a cockroach poison, or a strong deodorant. It was not my style, but I wouldn't buy this to my grandma either. This made me think of Chanel, I thought it was a bit copied.
I sprayed it to my jacket, and then I had to wash my jacket because the smell was horrible. I think it would kill rats.

I'm sure this perfume didn't success, so she/they decided to make a new fragrance. I REALLY hope I like it.

iranperfumer
iranperfumer

خوب این مدل از طراحان شهوت افسونگری را در استشمام یک رایحه متداول ولی در اوج کلاس دار بودن همانگونه که خود مدونادر حرکت موزون همچون وزش باد در نسیم یک دشت فرواوان از یاس ودر انتها شوعی دوباره از وانیل وکهربا رقصان ودلفریب.

metallarissa
metallarissa

I had a sample vial of this, and at the first spray, I loathed this perfume. There was something sharply pungent in the top notes that I just do not like. Perhaps it is the intense floral gardenia that dominates the scent that I reacted to so strongly, but it is not a pleasant odor at all. It is sharp and unique in a very unpleasant way, dominated entirely by florals. I cannot smell anything but manufactured flowers in this perfume.

It's also very one-note, and the scent does not change over time, much. Just lots and lots of florals.

Perhaps my strong reaction is because I tend to dislike heavily floral perfumes and prefer more androgynous woods, citrus, spice/musk, and leather, but this is by far, the worst perfume I've tried yet.

I also would have expected more of an edgy, sexy, romantic smell from Madonna, rather than floral overload. Strange!

scentchik34
scentchik34

All i have to say is "Thank you Madonna"!! This is a wonderful fragrance, completely different from everything else in my fragrance collection. I bought this bottle of truth or dare the week it came out and after using it for a few weeks i got distracted by all the fruity gourmands in my collection. I just rediscovered this Madonna frag and fell in love again with the gorgeous heavy creamy floral vanilla beauty in the white hot bottle. And the stsying power is e treme to say the least. I smelled it all night, and my skin typicallt loses fragrances in a couple of hours. I just can't get enough of tod right now. Its just what i needed to tske a break from the usual.

mystica
mystica

This came as a gift to me, and it very positively surprised me. I'm a little prejudiced against celeb scents, so I was expecting to smell something fruity/citrusy, typical generic stuff. But Madonna's Truth or Dare is certainly not generic! It has a character and it's very wearable.

At first spritz, its similarity to Versace's Blonde and Jeans Couture Woman (particularly the later) stroke me!
What a beautiful tuberose fragrance I thought. Indeed that could be just what I'm looking for, something similar to my lovely Blonde. Later the other notes started to show. Amber, Benzoin, Vanilla, Gardenia, I'm able to smell them all, in a blanced composition.

This fragrance is very feminine, and I understand why it's targeted for 25-45 year olds.

The bottle is simply stunning. I feel like carrying it in my bag, something I usually don't do!

Killercolours
Killercolours

I'm not a celeb perfume person, mostly because I don't like fruity scents. Most celeb scents are fruity. Rumours about a perfume with heady white flowers and vanilla, a Fracas wannabe, started spreading and I was STOKED. Finally! So I tried it and though "hell yeah bang boom let's go for it" and bougt a bottle.

A week later, "Why the heck did I buy that bottle? Goddammit". I didn't really understand it and it was just greasy-sweet without an actual midpoint or gut feeling. I let it stand around for a few months and tried it over and over again hoping to like it one beautiful day when hell freezes over.

One day hell really did freeze, I smelled it and thought "damn, this smells like jawbreaker candy." and then the beef was settled! I don't know what happened but that whole heady mess wrapped up into a giant piece of hard candy and stopped confusing me.

So at last, now I enjoy my Fracas wannabe (opening = pure Fracas on me, drydown = vanilla cupcakes and jasmine bubblegum) and I love it more and more each time. YAY!

angelic4296
angelic4296

@Muskymale: Do you have anything to say about the FRAGRANCE or are we going to witness an over-the-top psycho fan (you) bash anyone who doesn't LOVE Madonna and/or her perfume?

If the 2nd option is the case, you might wanna read reviews below mine as mine was not close to the most offensive anti-Madonna comments here.

Stick with the topic at hand, Madonna and her fragrance.

Good grief, people aren't the brightest......

kl99

Cat litter deodorant spray.
Just the same.
A cheap house deodorant of the 70s, in alternative.
Let's hope in the new version.. if they decides to change all the ingredients in a few months and launch a totally new fragrance: there must be a reason... here up a lot of DISLIKE!

kay_dee
kay_dee

to me it's very 80's scent, very classic still elegant & floral

jonr951

Madonna Truth or Dare Naked is coming in December! I think! Haha!

"The eau de parfum opens on head notes of honeysuckle, peach blossom and neroli. The heart contains sensual vanilla orchid, cocoa flower, lily of the valley. The base features Texas cedarwood, an oud wood accord and Australian sandalwood."

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

To me, this fragrance is like a more mature, full version of Paris Hilton's Fairy Dust. I think this perfume has a gorgeous, rich, full-bodied smell that is heavy with gardenia and tuberose. But once it settles down to the warm vanilla and amber, you can full appreciate the developed smell of this fragrance.

It's classy, mature, daring, and simply exquisite. Well done, Madonna!

ryanhuynh
ryanhuynh

I try it in my local perfume in Vietnam. I think it better than all sweet scent of Paris Hilton, Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson. It's long-lastin' is about 12 hour. I can believe it!!! But it so amazing in all my fragrances I have. But it's so expensive in Vietnam it about 60 USD. So I wish I could buy it in the future. LOL

FranFran

Just thought I'll add, this is actually NOT a fragrance for older people! I've been trying for ages to get my mother to like this, but every time I bring the strip closer to her she says: "No! Go away! It smells like a rat!" LOL. Not only her, but a few of the people working at the store, I've only met one woman who was a bit old who likes this, but I doubt she really counts since she looks like she's in her early 40s.

mitch0rton
mitch0rton

Worse perfume ever.

c3c
c3c

I have to edit this but I'm doing it early for this reason, if you love Fracas but don't feel you can wear it, buy Truth or Dare. End of story. I am one of those and I am now in love.

Ok so Here we go...Tuberose, check, Gardenia, more then check, vanilla, benzoin and caramelized amber sweeten up the drydown but in the background. I agree it could be in the realm of Fracas or Mesmerize. I think it rides the middle ground making it more wearable. I love Fracas but it takes a certain woman to really pull it off, Mesmerize not as powerful but a bit mature in style for me. Truth or dare? Right in the middle. I can wear this.

Very gardenia, hit of tuberose, hint of vanilla, benzoin and amber in the drydown. Definitely wait for the drydown before deciding. Good sillage and lasting power. Very floral, must be a fan of at least some things floral. Nice. Not what I think of when I think Madonna, but it makes perfect sense when you read the description. It took a couple of tries but I've come to really enjoy it.

muncierobson
muncierobson

I love this scent!

Openly inspired by fracas but very original in the celeb frag world!

The white flowers remind me of childhood, the notes r well blended and the staying power good.

Jasmine stands out for me and smells very authentic, good quality ingredients have clearly been used!

The base is sweet, a mixture of caramel, vanilla and amber.

This is a intoxicating white floral with somewhat of a gourmand base. I think it is fantastic and may very well become my new signature scent!

KseniyaApril
KseniyaApril

Strangely, I've got a feeling of someone's unfresh breath. Quite horrible and as the comment below, hard-to-forget horrible .

blueviolet
blueviolet

I´ve been contemplating all afternoon words to best describe how I felt when I sprayed this. I cant so Im just gonna be blunt. Hell to the No!!! My stomach turned. How incredible revolting can a fragrance get? I thought I had the answer in Womanity TM but this reaches new heights. Normally when I pick up a perfume and dont like it I just move on and forget about it. But this, I feel an overwhelming urge to warn people! I had to use some of the shop assistants soap but the stink still lingers! So hey, good news for you who likes it, it lasts=)!

antonpan
antonpan

Truth or Dare is an exceptional effort in the celebrity fragrances industry. This one smells expensive, like a typical niche perfume. It is a white floral scent, with gardenia dominates surrounded by tuberose. A touch of vanilla makes the composition milky and cosy enough to be modern and powerful simultaneously. It is sad that some untrained noses of Madonna's fans and antifans didn't understand the fragrance, being excepted something in a Britney Spears of J.Lo style. Truth or Dare is noteworthy for the whole designer perfumery, not only celebrity group.

lyjrox
lyjrox

got this perfume as a gift. i like the bottle, but not the perfume. i m not a fan of jasmine. and this perfume, to me, smell as if i have jasmine flowers planted on me! and the smell lingers, which is bad if u hate it, and good if u love it. i have only sprayed it once, and even after 1-2 hours, my room still smells like this perfume, and i'm leaving trails of it all over my house wherever i go.

come to think of it, after the 1 hour or so, when the perfume settles, it doesn't smell that bad actually. but still, i dun think i like this perfume, at all.

Alfimaus
Alfimaus

smells in the openings similar to fracas, but gets too sweet in the drydown. Bought this blind, so it was a huge mistake.
Not my cup of tea.
If you want to swap, please contact me :)

EmyPlante
EmyPlante

It'll have to be a dislike for me I'm afraid, sorry!

I don't mind white florals, but I find this one very in-your-face and its sweetness kinda makes it smell candyish. To my nose anyway.

There are a few of my co-workers who wear this fragrance and, call me weird if you will, but before I knew this was "Truth or Dare", I always thought this smelled of grape flavored candies. You know, these purple little sweets? Not a bad scent, but certainly a noticeable one. Everytime I came near one of my Truth Or Dare wearer colleagues, I couldn't help but a catch an intense whiff. And this, even after many hours. It seems to have great lasting power! :)

I wouldn't buy this for myself. I really don't think it'd suit me well. The "grape flavored candy" note (or the one I seem to detect, anyway! :P) would end up annoying me. On others, not so bad, but still not a fan.

Nynke
Nynke

Does anyone else think it smells like Lush's shampoo bar Godiva? I do. I like it. I might buy this one.

rita.m
rita.m

من اروع العطور الي استخدمتها بحياتي وكأني اشم وردة كاردينيا بالفعل
عطري المفضل

FranFran

Finally go to test this today! And I must say, it exceeded my expectations. If this smells like an old lady, she must be quite a woman! I expected more tuberose though, this is gardenia with a touch of tuberose. It also has something very warm smelling underneath, but I can't make it out and I know for sure its not the vanilla. It lasts very long, and has very good sillage. I expected it to be a sillage terrorist because of some reviews but its not, it has good sillage but not enough to drive people away from you. I picture this fragrance to typically be used by 27-35 year olds. I asked my mother about her opinion on it and she said something about it is too strong and she'll rather wait for it to die down a bit before giving her verdict. This would be second on my list after Reb'l Fleur, and I don't find it old lady-ish at all, and its made quite cleverly. Its classy and exquisite, but at the same time its kinky and provocative! 10/10 for me!

FunkyTomo

Finally got around to crossing this one of my "test" list. I was hoping i would like this as i find the Gothic bottle quite appealing , plus i do like Madonna.

Ive come to realize i dont like gardenia , unless its blended well in a small dose. The Gardenia is HUGE. I could like this perfume it that particular note wasnt so overwhelming.

The sales assistant was very rude about this perfume , and explained that the tester was hidden away under the counter as "most people dont like it". I wanted to prove her wrong but i couldnt hide my dislike of the initial spray. I gave it a chance to dry down , which i really liked , but the top/middle phase is so not my thing. Lasted a good length of time on my skin too. 6/7hr.

I think its a well made perfume and a great buy if you happen to love Gardenia . Very "Classic" and ageless ( the SA called it OLd Lady and said it "stinks like unfashionable Anias Anais " - lol , I told her i like Anais Anais n classics , which bamboozold her a bit !! ( v rude n clueless SA to be frank) . I dont think its "Old Lady" at all.

Kudos to Madonna for doing something different in the celeb market ,as this perfume is certainly different to the other celeb offerings. I think most lovers of classic scents who usually dismiss "Celeb-U-Scents" may be surprised by this one!

8/10 - as long as you dont dislike gardenia!

Tayloreliza32
Tayloreliza32

As I smell this (I have a small sample) I can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of....
At first I thought it smelled a little bit "old lady-ish", but after a while I could smell this scent on a very elegant woman that just wants to wear something that smells good.
The scents I pick up the most is the gardenia and vanilla--its warm and comforting--though it can come off a bit strong. I don't believe its anything to rave about. Not something I'd personally wear, but nice.

erilika
erilika

Went to Madonna concert in London and they gave me a small phial tester. Though I do like Madonna but I'm always very skeptical about celeb fragrances.

So I tried it without any expectation. And it's interesting, because in my opinion TOD does smell like something Madonna would present.

Very loud and in your face: the floral is nearly choking; while the sweetness borders on 'bitterness' but it is just too damn strong.

I find this quite fun, garish, maybe? But at the same time elegant and classy.

Very 80s. TOD personality kinda reminds me of LouLou by Cacharel. Maybe LouLou's mother?

NoseySpice
NoseySpice

I am not a fan of gardenia at all. It repels me. But am curious to try this, just to see if I mighth like this one. I do remember reading Madonna's favorite signature scent is Fracas. Just an interesting little side note given alot of you are making comparisons.

My3Champs
My3Champs

I fell in love with this perfume at first spray. I went in to purchase one specific perfume, and ended up purchasing this one, along with the lotion.
I am not a fan of Madonna, and for her to come out with any perfume of any kind is not tops of my list to even consider getting one, even admitting to wearing her perfume is not tops with me. With that being said, this perfume is delightful,
I would venture to say sat that it is a very close imitation of Fracas. I have both, and they do behave the same. I'd say, Fracas is a bit more potent, and Truth or Dare is a bit softer and sweeter. Fracas is a bit longer lasting, while T or D disappears after 3 or four hours. You can smell the Tuberose and Gardenia dancing together. The scent to me is sweet addictive. It is one of my favorites and I wear it quite often. I layer the lotion and perfume for a lasting effect. If you love gardenias, you will adore this one.

cinsot
cinsot

Baby Fracas? No way. Not on my skin.

Truth or Dare presents as a desiccated vanilla dessert. Crumbly meringue filled with fluffy marshmallow. It is deliciously sweet and comforting. An arid tuberose flavours the whole affair, a decoration sitting on the top of this magnificently created white floral Pavlova.

Madonna's tuberose is not the dewy wet tuberose I smell in Fracas, drenched in melancholy. I am grateful for that.

I am rather fond of Truth or Dare. There is something truly elegant and graceful about it. Polished. That's it: it is cleverly polished.

alicepolice
alicepolice

I have to agree with some reviewers: this is certainly not a floral scent. Candy floral perhaps, but incredibly, tooth-achingly sweet. Not the kind of heavy, burnt sugar sweet like Pink Sugar - I'm thinking cotton candy. Girly and massively fluffy.

However, the florals make this perfume very interesting, bringing a lighter edge to the cotton candy and altogether preventing it from becoming too heavy all around.

I personally LOVE this scent, it's unique enough to stand out, but not unique enough to be artsy.

fiona_sigourney
fiona_sigourney

OH MY HOLY GOD!!!

The one I got was a blind buy,

and after the first spray of Truth and Dare,

it reminds me of Scentsy Home Fragrance bar - "Lush Gardenia"!!!

And then I found it's a little odd to put it on as I know the scent from a Scentsy bar... eventhough I like that scent quite much... Grrrr...... >

omixochitl
omixochitl

Here is my sincerest opinion on Truth and Dare. I really don't care for Madonna, as a person or as a performer so this review is entirely about the scent.

When I read the notes I was very excited. I love all of those notes individually. Especially tuberose. I am obsessed about it. I really thought I would love this.

Truth or Dare does open with tuberose. Strong, sweet, sensual... BUT it lasts only for a few minutes. Next thing I know, the scent turns into some sort of floral candy BAM! In your face! I can't even perceive the vanilla itself, just very strong and overwhelming FLOWER CANDY. I was expecting a bold white floral, yes. A touch of vanilla and benzoin to make it oriental, alright. But unfortunately this is nothing like I imagined.

I did not like it AT ALL but I am not saying it is a bad scent. It is in fact quite unique and modern. Just a warning, don't be fooled: this is NOT a true tuberose scent (or white floral for that matter, trust me, I grow the real stuff in my garden). Truth or Dare is a loud "floral" candy.

Very good sillage and excellent longevity though.

EDIT:
This is absolutely nothing like Fracas in my opinion.

And I would like to add, that I agree with fellow reviewer EmyPlante. I also smell some sort of "purple candy" (if that makes sense) in this fragrance. Not exactly grape, but it definitely does not smell like flowers, but like these purple candy I ate at some point during my childhood.

girlsworld
girlsworld

I really wanted to like this fragrance sooo much, however it really was just too heady and overpowering for me, just too in my face, sorry !!

pinkmuzic

Ok i got my Truth or Dare bottle for 2 weeks now & MEN this is becoming an OBSESSION ATTRACTION, I'M IN LOVE ! I'M SOOOOO IN LOVE !

This is a truly magical , modern and so unique scent.
it's femine, sensual and super well done! i mean only 2 sprays of this lovely liquid & it last!.. and last.. and last...

I smell myself right now & i'm like oOOOhh! I'm almost rethinkink of maybe changing my signature scent with Truth or Dare.
It is so unique & individual that i can't even describe to is JUSTICE!!

You either hate or love this one , that's it .
i agree this is now everyone scent it'S pretty loud!! but i like it allllooooot!i mean really alot!

I will always keep a bottle of "Truth or Dare" when finishing this one.. it's a true keeper for me!

Madonna you got me on this one , you got me reeeaaaal bad .
super well done !! GONGRADULATION Madge (Madonna) xoxo

Sabrina_A
Sabrina_A

Honestly guys , I'M IN LOVE ! I'M SOOOOO IN LOVE !

Im NOT a "Madonna-fan-who-bought-this-scent-just-because-i-wanted-to-support-her" .. HELL NO !

I bought this perfume because it's one of the most beautiful scents I ever ever ever ever tried/"sniffed on" in my whole life , and belive me i tried a lot of scents !

It's magical , it's modern but still classic . It's so unique . Trust me , this perfume will become a so called "classic/iconic-must-have-scent" .

You either hate or love this one , that's it .
The bottle is fierce and the price is right .
Oh did I forgot to tell you that's it's AMAZINGLY long-lasting as well !?

I will always have a bottle of "Truth or Dare" at home .

Madonna you got me on this one , you got me reaaaal bad . BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO !

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

Heavy on the gardenia,similar to Mary J. Blige. Very strong, could not detect the individual notes developing. Sort of a flat floral. Not a lot of diversity (suprised about that!)You can buy other fragrances out on the market that are similar. But the bottle is pretty.

ineverwas
ineverwas

Unbelievable how many negative votes for this one!

I'm not a fan of celebrity perfumes myself, I actually tend to avoid them and have none in my collection so far. But Truth or Dare is really well done. It does not smell cheap at all. In fact, I honestly believe that if packaged and sold as a new release in some niche line, many tuberose lovers would spend serious money on it.

Leaving this value judgement aside, the scent is a lush, smooth tuberose and gardenia duet. Quite natural smelling too and it mixes nicely with my skin. I enjoy the fact that it's creamy, silky and somewhat mentholated, it feels rather cold and perfect for warmer weather.

In the late drydown ToD gets sweeter and cozier as the sweet vanilla and caramel-like benzoin become more aparent and start peeking through the fading floral notes.

If Fracas had a daughter with a trendy youth-marketed perfume, this would be it. And it resembles its mother more :)

The lasting power and sillage are both excellent.

The only minus - I, too, hate the bottle. *cringes*

avgutierrez1
avgutierrez1

Honestamente e independientemente de quien sea este perfume, es el peor que he olido

Leek
Leek

This is one of the most beautiful scents I've ever come across. Starting with a burst of white flowers like a gorgeous bouquet, developping into a creamy combination of florals and vanilla with amber and musk in the background. A very bold and loud frag, but in the most beautiful way. Stays on the skin forever (almost all day I'd say, and it stays strong!) and relatively not expensive. I couldn't stop sniffing myself. Way to go Madonna, great job.

Allegra
Allegra

Her Madgesty's first fragrance was somewhat a surprise for me because of its nostalgic, almost old-fashioned nature. I could imagine that the ladies back in the 40s and 50s would've worn this kind of classy and feminine concoction of white flowers. And obviously they have, given the impetus and context for the frag according to Madonna herself.

Truth or Dare combines "the good old days" with modern boldness and creates a veil of scent so thick one could cut through it with a knife...! No surprise that many find it way too loud and single-layered to be pleasant. The staying power is rather amazing, if you spritz it on your clothes the smell still lingers on for ages.

A good choice for anyone who does not want to follow suit with fruity-floral trends or sweet gourmands, but opt for something distinctive and different. I would've named it Blonde Ambition instead of ToD because that's what the fragrance is all about: being self-confident and keeping your eyes on the price... Just like the queen of pop has, is and will be doing.

lovejasmine3
lovejasmine3

can men wear this perfume??

boruvka44
boruvka44

I like the very beginning a lot - creamy white flowers with juicy, almost fruity nectar. It smells pretty much the same from the beginning till the end (which I like), it just gets more creamy and honey-like sweet, especially on skin. On cloths those white flowers are prominent the whole time.
It smells similar to Jasmin Noir, Gardenia by Elizabeth Taylor and also Amarige by Givenchy, only without the overly sweet fruit. It is round, elegant, cuddly and sooo pleasantly intoxicating.
Lasting power and sillage are very good, about 8 hours on skin, days on clothes. Flacon looks nice too. All in all, it is a very nice fragrance. I don`t care about Madonna`s music or anything, but I thank her (and her mom:) for this pleasant frag!
Edit: just watched the commercial the first time. The music is horrible and totally doesn`t match the fragrance.

Miffy8900
Miffy8900

Beautiful fragrance. At first I thought it was rather flat, but after a while it reveals more depth and more layers. I get white flowers, a bit powdery. I also get some sort of fruityness. Call me crazy, but I think it smells a bit banana-like in the drydown.

It is not for the young bubblegum/strawberry-ish teenage girls, which is the normal target group for celebrity fragrances. It is mature, but can easily be worn be women in the 20's and up. My mom is in her 50's, and she is also in love with it.

I am not too crazy about the bottle, though. But I think it is very Madonna, and overall I think she has done an excellent job with this one.

Jvs3005
Jvs3005

One spray will do! Really, it's enough when you spray once. Freshly sprayed it is a bit too much (very sweet, very floral), but after 5-10 minutes it gets softer, creamier. You really have to like sweet though to pull this one off.

Normally I don't like florals: headaches + it's just not me. Mostly they are too present. This one, sprayed once on my neck, smells like I'm sitting next to an open window with a bouquet of lovely blooming flower, where I perceive tiny wafts of scent from because of the wind blowing thrpigh the open window and bouquet, while I am eating a delicious vanilla ice cream. Not much for a perception maybe, but who cares? Not everyday has to be a blast when it comes to fragrances.

I don't care about Madonna, I don't care about the image. I care about how the perfume makes me feel, and it makes me feel careless and happy.

ralucucky
ralucucky

Fracas is much, much better. But I have to admit the sillage of this one is really great: more than 8 hours. I wouldn't buy it, I would save the money to buy the real thing.

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

Smells like a cheaper version of Fracas. Thats all.

smellitivity
smellitivity

To me, Truth or Dare plays with three sides: on is sour and green, one is creamy, and one with white florals.
The creamy side in particular, is the prelude to gardenia, which comes out more clearly in the middle stage, together with sweet notes, which announce the vanilla and musk of the dry down.

Many think of this as the best celebrity perfume around, but I'd say it's one of the best.

The cool thing about it, is the clear intention of taking an old-fashioned floral style and make it more modern and accessible.

marbre rose
marbre rose

Geez, the list of reviews is a mile long :).

If you are just a regular next-door type with a secret fantasy of turning into an Old Hollywood glam goddess in the comfort and safety of your own home, Truth or Dare could be your best bet.

Spray sparingly (very potent stuff, indeed)on your clean, warm skin and enjoy your transformation into a gorgeous bomb-shell type you've never had guts/potential/energy to be in your real life.

And when you get tired of the role, it takes only a shower to return to your old self (or some other olfactory character of your choice).

blairness
blairness

I actually like Madonna and I think that she is extremely inspiring, bold and has a very strong character. It was a surprise when I heard that she will also launch her perfume as I thought that she will not be another celebrity with her own fragrance.
I went to the store and smelled it- since the picture on the ad is really pretty, I love the good old blonde Monroe-like Madonna, so I had high expectations.
First impression, the bottle..god, I was so dissapointed. It looks like a coffin, it looks and feels really cheap and I really dislike the cap. What were they thinking??
So, the perfume itself-it is not a teen-scent as many celebrity fragrances tend to be. But I smelled only jasmine and tuberose and this mix didn't really smell that good. It did get better after 15 minutes or so, but I would not buy this perfume. It is a shame, but I hope that when Madonna decides to come out with a second perfume, it will be better.

Since Madonna released Truth or Dare, reviews have been mixed. Some say it's the best celebrity fragrance yet, while others call it cheap and uninspiring. Honestly, I'm on either side of the fence. I neither love it nor dislike it.

It is fairly evident that Fracas has been the inspiration behind this fragrance. If you love Fracas, you'll most likely enjoy this cheaper alternative. I, for one, find Truth or Dare less thick and lacking in quality when compared to the 'Queen of Tuberose'.

While I appreciate white florals of this nature, I find them incredibly difficult to wear. I always feel like a walking vase of wilted flowers, and that's not something that I personally aspire to smelling like. Truth or Dare is too dry and buttery for my personal tastes.

Madonna is not very popular among the young ones these days, so this fragrance is more than likely aiming to please the older market. Going for an unsweetened and heavy white floral, has probably been the best choice. Many have remarked that it stands out amongst the sweet and fruity concoctions that celebrities usually come up with.

Unfortunately Truth or Dare is a little linear in terms of composition. It's a buttery, musky and slightly green blend of tuberose, gardenia and lily from beginning to end. While it's no innocent fragrance, I don't find it particularly sexy either. Madonna has always been a controversial figure, so I was kind of hoping that her first fragrance would reflect that.

According to certain blogs, Madonna has a rather large collection of perfumes, so I don't doubt that she'd actually wear what she has created. Truth or Dare is pleasant and in some ways, very classy. My negativity stems from the fact that in 'truth', it's a copy of Fracas, and it seems to be seriously lacking in that 'dare' concept.

Malegria
Malegria

I sprayed it all over myself this morning, and was ready for a major clusterfudge - after all, it hasn`t been raining here for weeks, and the temperatures were brutal, and some reviewers condemned it as a stinker. So, I thought that if I will live I`ll tell the story.

I did not find it smelling cheap and the base is actually pretty good (though I think it is pretty hard to screw it with the ingredients of the base).Longevity is okay.

At first, it is just a pretty,if a little malnourished, gardenia. Tuberose adds a little oomph and neroli don`t let it become a syrupy mess. Then, something interesting happens - the Lily, that smells animalistic and almost edible. It fades quickly, though, and feels like the fragrance just mooned you!

In the end gardenia almost disappears (it lasts longer on clothes, though) and all you can smell is a transparent tuberose with mild oriental ambery base.If Madonna wanted to pay a homage to her Mama, it worked: a nice housewife who just wants to smell good for her husband.

Not bad! The downfalls are the price - it is not worth it - and the bottle, which is hideous.

Mandana
Mandana

This perfume went on thick, cloying, it smelled extremely sweet of gardenia and tuberose but without an modern "edge". The name also: Why call this "Truth or Dare"? What is truthful or daring about a perfume as boringly predictable and unpleasant as this one? In the 80's "Poison" came out which was a perfume way ahead of its time, and which also could have been named "Truth or Dare". Bearing in mind that Madonna was in her heyday in the 80's, I would have expected a far more innovative perfume than this one. A more appropriate name IMO would have been "Gardenia Garden"! This surprised and disappointed me a lot as Madonna is so innovative and creative and so I did not expect she would have created a perfume so unoriginal, as dated, and as overpoweringly old-fashioned and sweet as this one. If Dior could do it back in the 80's with "Poison" why couldn't Madonna create a perfume that really made you sit up and take notice? Sorry, Madonna, you can do better than this! I'm sure "Truth or Dare" may have smelt great on your grandmother but in my opinion there are too many sweet and predictable notes in here, which stops it becoming modern. The perfume has been caught in a time warp and the gardenia notes need revving up with a few more zestful notes to make it more up-to-date..

Iva Vendetta
Iva Vendetta

I must edit my review of this perfume.

Yes, I was giddy with something at the time - probably the artificiality so bright.

I woke up the next morning - it was in my hair and clothes.Then it hit me - chemicals.I immediately had to wash my hair and clothes. Relief, mais oui!
No fragrance can last that long without change. It is the perfume you'd wear when meeting an old flame who is married, so his wife would know his habits when he came home and she did the laundry. Then you would laugh.

If it suits you, then I am glad. Meantime, one must figure out how vanilla got into Fracas. Next time, Tabu, Emeraude, or Shalimar.

missymary
missymary

Truth Or Dare belongs with mild and gentle tuberose perfumes such as Kim Kardashian/Michael Kors, NOT with the sumptuous lavish animalic classics (Fracas/Carnal Flower). Anyone who thinks it's got grandma strength knows s*** all about the heavy stuff. Truth or Dare has one big note only and that's ----Dreft fabric softener for babies!! There's a wee note of ambery musk. And that's it. Nice but no way is it a return to the Eighties.

It's thoroughly mumsy, like Boss Femme, a great choice for a new mother, ironically a true madonna perfume but nothing like the Madonna the raunchy celebrity.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Soooo gorgeous, soooo sexy and soooooo feminine!!! That's one of the best hot summer evening (or day - if you dare to wear it!) perfumes. A real must have.

Today it was hot (about 34) with a lot of of humidity (75%) in the air when I tested this beauty . About two months ago I tried it the first time at the airport, I haven't been impressed - it was spring with about 20 degrees. But today!!!!!!! wooooouuu, fantastic. It's hard to find proper words to describe what a power this perfume gets in hot weather. In general I came to the conclusion, that perfumes that contain concrete dose of jasmin, gardenia, neroli or tuberose smell fantastic when it is hot and a lot of humiditiy in the air. In the nature jasmine and other heavy smelling white flowers bloom at such a weather conditions, ...et voila... that's the reason why Truth or dare was so nice today. I had to buy it! And believe me, it's really fantastic fragrance, so seductive, appealing and bold sexy .... sweet and soft, radiating femininity all around.

Bethesda
Bethesda

I fell in love with this perfume as soon as I smelt it and had to have it! I agree it is both a light and dark fragrance - the dark being mysterious, tropical tuberose and gardenia and the light being lily, jasmine, neroli and vanilla. I'm a bit obsessed with white florals with a vanilla base at the moment so this compliments my collection perfectly, but I would say this has a much sweeter caramelly vanilla note than fragrances such as Hypnose and The One where the vanilla is earthier and more powdery. The tuberose and exotic gardenia notes are probably the most dominant so you really have to love those as well as vanilla to love Truth Or Dare.

Not an easy perfume to wear, especially for younger women/teenagers, and definitely not a generic white floral. However, it is absolutely gorgeous if these are your kind of perfume notes. Very sexy, perfect for nighttime and hopefully it will go well with my black dress tonight!

Blissful80
Blissful80

I really love Fracas so I really think I'm going to love this too. Every floral thats in Truth or Dare I love! I can't wait to finally buy it:D

kitsunemagic
kitsunemagic

I feel so bad for not liking this because I was hoping I would...I like Madonna's old music from the 80s to the late 90s,..and reading the notes here made me look forward to this. I ordered a small sample to give it a try and after spraying this, this was the worst perfume I have ever smelt, I simply hate this scent...sorry Madonna :( I really wanted to like this but this perfume didn't do it for me

A medley of tuberose and gardenia, with a bit of sweet depth. I think its lighter than Fracas, and sweeter than White Shoulders. On me, the gardenia is the most prevalent, tuberose next, and I even detect the jasmine. This is not bad at all. I am not the biggest gardenia or tuberose lover, so this would not be my first choice for a fragrance, but I simply had to test this, and surprisingly, I find this pleasant. I even had an unbiased stranger say "you smell beautiful". If you are a white flower fan, please put your personal opinions of Madonna aside, and try this.

jonr951

I LOVE me some Truth or Dare! White flowers, more white flowers, and vanilla oh my! I know it just came out but I cannot wait for something new from MDNA! The white on my bottle has chipped off a bit where the dots are at. SO sad! I'm CRAZY about my bottles so I'm most likely going to have to get a brand new 1.0 oz if I ever find it so that it's perfect and untouched. Haha : )

"We can be tricked by what we see and hear, but not by what we smell." — Madonna

sebsan
sebsan

When i first sprayed Truth or Dare it exploded with tuberose and gardenia. In the beginning its a very strong white floral fragrance and you would think its a grandma scent . But after like 20 min comes the vanilla , and it becomes a sensual , daring , sexy but in a sophisticated mature way , not like the typical celebrity vanilla scents . This perfume stands out from all the candy sweet celebrity ones . Some might like some might hate it but nobody cant deny that Truth or Dare is a unique scent .
Lasting power 10 h. age: 35+

Perfumefreak
Perfumefreak

This is not THAT bad.
Very strong and sweet tuberose at the first 30 minutes and then smooths down into soft white floral/tuberose mixture.
I tested it on my wrist at the perfume-store (where they keep bottles under heating lights?!).
It didn't last very long but i was able to smell it clearly, but unfortunately, it stood out only by a close sniff.
All in all, i do want to buy it, BECAUSE!: it is just like my favorite Fracas but discreeter and softer. Truth or dare is not that suffocating and breathtaking as Fracas, so ToD can be worn by daytime very easily but it shines in the evening!

This is not for teenagers or for twenty-something-ladies. You really have to understand and love tuberose.
Ps. The bottle is intriguing.

Oooops!
I was wrong. This IS long lasting stuff.
I bought a bottle and sprayed last night and it was still on me when i woke up. And continues on my clothes non-stop.
Even better!!!
Pps. ok, i can't wear it. It doesn't come of and it's getting annoying. I need a change.
I know, my seriously ill aunt would like its energy, she needs a boost to cheer her up.

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

Got to say I was very suprised tonight going out for a night on the town with my better half, she was smelling soo sexy and it was obviously a new fragrance and I had never smelled it before on her. Was suprised to hear it was the new Madonna perfume, it is just georgeous. I cannot stop sniffing her it is lovely.

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

I was excited to try this because I love tuberose. Alas after the strong initial hit of tuberose, this frag just softens to....nothing. At least on my skin. I expect perfumes to last longer than just an hour or two! I also agree with others who say it's too one dimensional.

I am sure there are better tuberose frag's out there.

Not for me! : ((

Marying
Marying

White flowers and blond woods.Fracas-like, but not as good or complex as Fracas. Very sweet Tuberose and Gardenia. Too sweet for me. An average perfume.

acavicchi
acavicchi

I agree with a lot of the reviews saying that Truth or Dare is really reminiscent of the 80's, which makes sense because hey- we're talking about Madonna here and she was the queen of the 80's! It's a fairly standard white floral that's very heavy on the tuberose and gardenia. I agree, it's not very original, but it sounds like she was trying to re-create a memory of her mother's perfume.
It was definitely not for me, but the sales lady (in her mid- 40's, I think) LOVED it! I had barely glanced at the bottle and she started going on about what a wonderful, soft scent it was and how she doesn't normally like celebrity perfumes but Truth or Dare was gorgeous, so I'm guessing it will appeal mostly to women of Madonna's generation. And there's nothing wrong with that.

colorblindlove
colorblindlove

OMG this crap is replusive! I smelled this at macy's when it first came out and wow this stuff is horrid! I couldn't get away from the tester fast enough! Thankfully I didn't spray this on myself because I would have seriously regretted it.

virga
virga

I like it on paper: it is white flowers mainly, a big bouquet of lush white flowers with a hint of amber. “Truth or Dare” is cheaper, less complex version of Fracas and I was thinking about purchasing it, because I like Fracas, but somehow cannot wear it. Sadly on my skin “Truth or Dare” turns into something rather unpleasant: the smell of old powder kicks out and dominates whole composition. Silage and longevity are great, especially considering the price.

ZELJO
ZELJO

terrible, expected something daring, new, avant garde and she came with something like my grandmother wear 50 years ago...

lovekova
lovekova

Sorry Madonna but this is ANNOYING to nose, skin and anyone around you! I just opened the bottle as a fouly overwhelming flower attack came at me! It stuck to my fingers all day, even after srubbing several times, and would def have given me headaches if closer to my nose.

Malibu
Malibu

TRUTH OR DARE is a rather one dimensional white floral blend of gardenia and tuberose. These two scent notes are so strong that, apart from a whisper of neroli, nothing else is distinguishable from the jumble the perfume quickly becomes.

White florals aren't my thing, but at first I did appreciate the blend... until the jumble of scent notes develops fully on my skin - then TRUTH OR DARE becomes a real no-no. There is something in the jumble that smells overly synthetic and sickly - the vanilla and musk combining with everything maybe? I can't describe this synthetic note in any detail, but it's horribly heavy on me.

I retested TRUTH OR DARE again today when I saw a tester in a store, and my Mum took one sniff of my wrist and she honestly backed away from me, saying the fragrance was too heavy and would give her a migraine if she came too close to me.

I wouldn't recommend TRUTH OR DARE and wouldn't know when to wear it; it is too strong for casual or work wear and it smells like many, many other white floral blends, so I don't think that it is unique enough for evening wear or or any other special occasions.

The fragrance does not suit it's edgy name and bottle design, as it is so generic. TRUTH OR DARE does NOT remind me of Fracas [the only white floral that I like], but instead Kim Kardashian's debut fragrance.

Pinja
Pinja

Truth or Dare is a thick and heavy smell. I would wear it lightly, after a shower, with clean white (as in the bottle) cotton clothes, to avoid an overall impression of something unwashed, powdery and "old as in the 80's"

Though the combination of orange blossom and tuberose is one of my least favourite accords in the whole perfumery, I found it nice enough in Truth or Dare for me to buy the rich and luxurious shower gel. The gel alone is strong enough to scent your skin for hours. This scent fulfills an occasional need for something completely different than my usual chypres, citrusy colognes or light aldehydes.

(Truth or Dare reminds me of the wet wipes Cathay Pacific airline provides for customers. A nice and exotic orange blossom smell.)

(What? Doesn't anybody smell orange blossoms...?)

LadiesRed
LadiesRed

I did smell rose and gentle tuberose with the gentle jasmin but the rest was
Just awful. Perhaps the rest of the notes just did not agree or the shipment got spoiled.

Very disappointed, that's the Truth

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

wow! lots of reviews unsurprisingly for a fragrance by the force of nature that is Madonna. I like the idea which is mature, classy and well thought out. Unfortunately it's execution by Coty smells cheap and changes what could be a decent modern tuberose into an air freshener version of itself, harsh and cloying. I will stick to my old faves like 'JPG Fragile' and 'Carolina Herrera' for a tuberose hit when I want it. Decidedly underwhelmed, I'm afraid. Don't like the bottle either, it's too thin and I would knock it over frequently if I owned it, also the cap is too small.

outofocus

As to "Dark and light" comment, I dont agree, it's just sweet white flowers, it's a plain perfume, no evolution on skin.
As to the flacon, well, the white material and shape is ok, but the cap, round like a sort of Globe is golden plastic, looks tacky, cheap, the opposite of the sales message I guess.

dikija4
dikija4

I want to say only that I LIKE IT. i have not love to Madonna, but with years I appreciate she as unique personality.
Fragrance is lively and sexy.

kai74
kai74

We have this perfume in our department stores and I tested it...
Oh, it´s awful - too ´pushy´ for my taste and you could really suffocate someone with it :(

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

I actually like this very much. It's a creamy/ dewey, tropical gardenia.. sweetened by tuberose with a touch of jasmine. Creamy yet still green. Rich in a buttery gardenia, and intoxicating amber. Vanilla and benzoin make this even more addictive and delicious. Also I like the addition of Lilly - The Easter lily, nice and dirty flower :) Excellent sillage and lasts 6-8 hours on my skin. I'm very happy with my new tropical gardenia perfume :)

True there are other tropical gardenias. But in comparison, for the price, I think this is an exceptional value and have made it my official ''go to'' tropical gardenia scent.

Just wanted to add, I don't know why .. whenever a perfume has tuberose in it. Everyone says it smells like 'Fracas', lol... it's only ONE of the notes in this perfume. Really this perfume is nothing like Fracas. (of which I have and love both)

Kim Kardashians perfume lasts 2 hours on my skin, I'll pass on that one. I agree it's somewhat similar.. but I feel really no comparison

Just realised that this reminds me of Tom Ford's Black ORchid Viole de Fleur edt, only where as Tom's is for night, Madonna's is for day, it's softer, more lilly of the valley, more powdery and sweeter... not highest quality like tom ford, but still very nice and minus that gorgeous honey note that in Tom Ford

smellME
smellME

Sorry Madonna, this is more Dare than Truth, way to strong on the tuberose for my taste... I agreed all the way, for you to be groundbreaking concerning, music style, behavior ,sex. But to sell a perfume, you need to flrt with someones sense of smell ! I wish you would have pleased your fans when creating your first perfume rather than going your own way like always. ...
From MY point of view, it didn't work this time
I would like to have liked it.

beatrix75
beatrix75

tooo strong for my teast its a strong strong tuberose!!!BUt its very long lasting super good silage

Fiusha
Fiusha

Disappointing.... There are so many perfumes that smell like this one.

Vierka
Vierka

The first time I disliked it. Then I tried it again, then I wanted to smell it more often and wear it as well. Now I have a bottle and sometimes I just spray it in the air, because this smell is able to make me calmer and it brings my mood up. I am happy I have it.

Ava22
Ava22

I am no Madonna fan!! My mom and gay uncle loves her :)

I have to say this Fragrance is stunning and exotic!!

What I do notice alot of men stop me on the street to ask me what I'm wearing! Men seem to like this on me from all ages.Women in the other hand really want to puke when they smell it on me :/ They say I smell like an old lady.The Gardenia is strong!! Is kinda smell like a cross between Liz taylor Gardenia and kim k first fragrance.My boyfriend loves it and he always want to cuddle with me when this is on :) He says it smells very Erotica and puts him in the mood for making love .Fyi he didn't know it was a Madonna Fragrance.When I need him to Justify my love this fragrance does the trick! My verdic is sexy and makes you feel sexy and men love it!! Women hate it very mush.If you like men get it if you like women don't!!

Trvevil
Trvevil

I just... wandered into store to explore Esteban range. I just set my foot in when mum called, and I had to rush to nearest bus stop immediately. I didn't want to leave empty-wristed and so I noticed this. I read that it has to be white floral and I like white floral.

At start it was intense vintage soap smell. It was really big mean soap. Thankfully it broke down to more pleasant floral with pretty big sillage. On me it was tuberose with creamy undertone of gardenia. Very nice and reminds me of Prada Infusion de Tubereuse. Truth or Dare is more intensive I think. And pretty great value too. Nothing too original as white florals are pretty in lately with celebrities and socialites too.

♥Love4Fragrance♥
♥Love4Fragrance♥

When I first sprayed it in store, I hated the scent sooooo much! But when I finally got my sample of it, and starts to wearing it, I actually started to like the musky smell of the perfume. It reminds me a lot of Kim Kardashian's debut scent, but again, I like Kim's better. BTW, the bottle is amazing!!!

Booogie
Booogie

Normally I like to apply perfume generously, but with this one, I never exceed one single spray! This stuff is extremely thick and syrupy. A booming, potentially obnoxious white floral! Call me what you want but in very small doses, I enjoy this. It smells exactly how the notes read, exactly how you'd expect it to smell. Nowhere near original and maybe a bit sweet but I commend it for not smelling like a punchy, sugar-laden Bath & Body Works frag.

I do like the bottle. Looks like it belongs on an altar. Lasting power has been great each time I've worn it.

emily7
emily7

Just for the record - I like Madonna.

As I suspected, I get tuberose only in slight traces. On the other hand, there's plenty of peary gardenia-jasmine combo on a sweetish, almost gourmand ambery base. Animalic? No, I don't feel anything alive and breathing here - not flowers, nor animals and that is my only one, but big complaint here; if they are here, they are surely dead - killed by a ton of refined sugar.
Top notes are actually quite nice - floral, fresh, playful - and these are some serious compliments coming from someone who actually doesn't like gardenia. I was ready to like it without any prejudice, but then the jasmine disappeared and the sweetness kept on growing and growing until it became saccharine-like, unpleasantly artificial and stuffy.. ruined it for me altogether.
Not disappointed because I wasn't expecting modern or more improved version of Fracas. As far as I see and can smell, this is a casual, mass marketed, likable gardenia interpretation that is more comparable to Rochas Poup'ee or (if I must choose within Piguet family), Douglas Hannant. Fracas is The Untouchable Queen on the Tuberose Throne.
I see that the bottle didn't get much approval - I like it. Its' opaque white plastic-gold combo design is campy and minimalist at the same time. Modern, edgy, very Madonna.
It's the name that I don't like - ok I know, it's a Madonna thing, but also sounds kind of juvenile.
Next!

Prettynightmary
Prettynightmary

I like Madonna. Not her biggest fan but I`m going to her concert later this summer. So I was excited to try this, but at the same time I was thinking this is not for me.
And I was right.
Don`t get me wrong, this is not a bad smelling scent. It`s just very loud on my skin and super flowery. One word: overwhelming. It`s because I like my scents rather light and soft. And needles to say that is not something you`d expect from a legend like Madonna. Truth or Dare is like her, loud and daring, but still beautiful. I think I have had it on 7 hours (and I`ve tried to wash it off) and I can still smell it.
If you like bold and creamy florals, definately try this!

Coutureguru

Being the Tuberose slut I am, I've been dying to try this fragrance since it's launch (which I complained bitterly about further down the page) and as I was in England last week the chance to try and buy presented itself! Love at first sniff for me I'm happy to report. Truth or Dare has rocketed to the top of my 'all time favorite tuberose' list, nudged into second place only by Carnal Flower. Yes, it does remind of Fracas but only for the briefest of moments before it goes on to become a fragrance all of it's own. The tuberose here is lush and creamy ... the white musk providing more of a civet-like feel to the long lasting drydown. My skin gobbles up fragrance like crazy ... Truth or Dare lasts a good 8 hours on me! That alone makes it fabulous in my book! I was complimented on it repeatedly on the plane yesterday. All in all a winner!! Whether you like Madonna or not it has to be about the fragrance ... it's simply wonderful :).

Carnation
Carnation

I would like to start off by saying I was expecting something totally different and unique from her. I was hoping for an earthy,church-like incense frag with some Easter lily thrown in that was as innovative as she was. I didn't expect a tuberose and gardenia dominated scent with a white musky drydown and a slight vanilla bend to it. This is what I got when I tried it out at Macy's last night.
Why did I try this when I cannot stand the smell of gardenias? Curiosity like most perfumistas. Satisfied: Not really.Not awful,but just more slightly nauseating confirmation that gardenias,tuberose and vanilla and I do not mix.

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

on my skin it was quite awful. plasticy and synthetic. my 16 years old daughter did not like it either.

michelle46
michelle46

I actually like this perfume. But I don't know if I'm going to end up loving it, or hating it! It will divide people, and is an unusual, in your face perfume. I suppose a bit like Madonna herself. I feel Madonna has gone with her heart with this perfume. It contains parts of what her mother wore. It is not sweet and young,like many celeb perfumes, but she would have been ripped to pieces if she had gone that way. Madonna could have brought out a perfume a hundred times over, yet she waited until now, unlike other 'celebs' who have been famous for 5 minutes, and are now on their 100th scent.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Tuberose/gardenia creamy white floral, with prominent jasmine and amber notes as well. Similar to fracas.
okay nothing special or new. There are better tuberose/ gardenia scents out there.
moderate silage with 3-4 hours of longevity.

In Vogue
In Vogue

Very linear scent. For the first half hour it smells like gardenia,then tranforms into a cherry blossom floral, with no depth. It's funny, because cherry blossom isn't mentioned in the description, but that's all I get on me. Looks like Madonna is nostalgic for her (younger) Shanghai Surprise days.

gigiletta
gigiletta

smells like 80's spirit :) dusty tuberose and soft gardenias.if you like floral fumes for spring it is just for you.reminds me michael kors and caroline herrera style,a bit sharp but classy.after hours i can smell tuberose and amber.unlike the other celebrity perfumes,not vanillic or sticky.
very longlasting.

Jilly B
Jilly B

I was really interested when I saw this on the shelf in Debenhams the other week.

I don't think the bottle is very attractive, and it's very narrow, so would be easily knocked over if it was on a dresser. BUT what's important is the juice inside!

I wish I could recall the actual scent better, but I can't for now. First sniff...ooohh very nice indeed, thought I was really going to like it, but after 5 minutes it changed and became rather unpleasant on me. Shame. I really wanted to like this.

1Tanya
1Tanya

When I sprayed Truth or Dare on my arm, at first I thought I fell in love. It was sexy and enigmatic. After a few minutes the jasmine, gardenia and tuberose started to "decay" into ugly vanilla mixed with mothballs from your grandmothers old closet. Oh I wished this perfume wasn't so long lasting as it was. On me it smells like a bad, BAD, naughty Angel by Mugler. This perfume is definitely not a typical celebrity crowd pleaser. I give Madonna credit for that.

kl99

Unfortunately the market impose, since the synthetics fragrances have replaced the expensive ones, that personal products or the ones for the house, are perfumed with soliflower or even complex formulas of perfume, that usually imitate old perfumes or the ones in fashion. All that to say that Truth or dare smell like Friskies Deodorant for cats litter, the first natural spray version. It was a Drama also for Bleu de Chine de Marc de La Morandiere, in fact this perfume remind me Madonna's one.

frohfroh
frohfroh

This fragrance is beautiful! I don't even like Tuberose but this perfume is mixed so nicely with other notes that it actually smells wonderful. I don't know why people would think it smells cheap, not cheap smelling at all! I think it is really lovely that she created this in memory of the smell of her late mother. That really touched me.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I remember having read somewhere that one of Madonna's favourite fragrances was Piguet's Fracas (the mother-tuberose).
I don't know whether the creators of Truth or Dare aimed to emulate Fracas in any way, and even though it certainly has got the tuberose, TorD is not like Fracas (as Fracas has got some trick up its sleeve that TorD seems ot be missing).
In the opening of TorD, the tuberose practically jumps at you, and it is very sweet and intense-smelling. It seems like they've tried to throw in every other "white floral" note they could find, to highlight that effect. But in the end it's just candied and sweet, and other that that, nothing else interesting is going on.
If you want just the candied white floral without any surprises - it's for you.

patchouliboy
patchouliboy

I was really looking forward to the release of this fragrance but was ultimately disappointed with the finished product. Sadly, it smells really cheap to me...like a poor quality Fracas wannabe.

MissLola
MissLola

First of all I'm a huge fan of Madge, and have everything of her, so also her frag! (i have no choise hahaha) But i'm sorry Madge, it is not a nice scent at all, it smell's like used flower-water.

vmarshmellow
vmarshmellow

Yesterday I smelled Truth or Dare for the first time. This is a scent of candied plasticized Tuberose and candied plasticized Gardenia. The sweetness reminds me of Pink Sugar but without smelling like Pink Sugar. (Truth or Dare does not have licorice or burnt sugar notes.) In addition to the sweetness, it is the texture and silage of Truth or Dare that remind me of Pink Sugar. As if the air containing the scent were somehow heavier than the atmosphere surrounding it.

I did not think Truth or Dare was something I would ever be interested in buying. I did not think Truth or Dare was something I would ever be interest in wearing. I cannot imagine where I would wear it.

Now a day later, I realize I “miss” this scent. I still don’t really want to wear Truth or Dare but I do want to smell Truth or Dare. But more importantly and more interestingly I realize now that this is a scent that after one wearing … one testing… is memorized and burned into my olfactory memory. I smelled maybe 10 scents that day. But if I had smelled 100 I would still remember Truth or Dare. This scent is unique and memorable. We look back at the 80’s and 90’s as years of the “big fragrance”. In 20 years we will look back at this era of scent as the age of the very sweet fragrances. And Truth or Dare will be mentioned.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Hopefully Madonna fans won't come attack me or anything because of what I'm about to say.

So I tried it; I actually got a decent sized sample of this and tried it over the course of 2 days.

The first smell that came to mind was a chemical laden banana laffy taffy. I'm old enough to remember liking those things, so I enjoyed the memory but well....I can't say I want to smell like one.

Eventually I did get tuberose which I absolutely loved, though I found the tuberose to be thin in nature. This wasn't a lush full and in your face tuberose. And its distantly like Fracas. Very.

As a tuberose lover, and I really do love it from green tuberose to lush and buttery, this would not be a scent I would reach for too often.

Head to head comparisons with Bath and Body Works Velvet Tuberose, which is another sweetish scent that contains vanilla in the base, Truth or Dare falls quite flat. There's no roundness to the scent IMO.

For me, its TOO sweet, the vanilla that is used is too foody, for my tastes, contains too little tuberose, and of course, has that odd banana laffy taffy opening.

If my nose were less experienced and I enjoyed super sweet fragrances, I would likely enjoy it more, because in its favour, it has serious lasting power. Sprays from the samples I procured from Macy's left oily perfume spots on my skin. I could smell this stuff 8 hours later. And FWIW, its not super in your face and loud, so could even be worn to work within reason.

But its not me at all. Its not the worst I've smelled but admittedly, I own better. So for me, its really not full bottle worthy.

lizzie81

Well....I do really love the smell! It's a loud tuberose affair which drys down to a sweet 'burned sugar' type of smell. Lovely! I caught a whiff of it the other day on another girl and thought it smelled wonderful, however when I wear it myself I have noticed the last few times I have gotten a headache and i'm starting to wonder if it is in fact the perfume :( oh no, I have a full bottle. It is VERY strong! and I would suggest if you are prone to headaches from floral perfumes not to go near it.
Edit:

I wore it again and no headache this time!! This for me is perhaps more of an evening perfume, when it's cooler. I wore it last in the humidity and that combined is probably what gave me a headache. I also avoided spraying it on the chest area and stuck to hair, back of the neck and wrists! Absolutely beautiful, smells expensive and i'm so happy I can wear it now:) xx

MabelEarth
MabelEarth

It is just like Madonna! Very strong and loud but also feminine...
It for special women, who likes to be in the centre..
Its too much for me. Gives me headache. :(

pinkmuzic

OMG! i mean OH! MY! GOD! i've come by this beautiful bottle of Madonna first fragrance & THE ONLY THING I HAVE TO SAY IS... WHO EVER WANT TO SWAP THIS WITH ME... pleeeeeease? do me a Pleasure & contact me .... IWANT THIS ONE!! I have plenty of choice to swap with you check my collection!
i know it's NOT everyone scent but ... FOR SURE IT'S FOR ME :D
XOXO

dbrii24
dbrii24

This is about the fragrance not the woman.(Which is what your fragrance reviews, on a fragrance website should be about)

Taking Madonna out of the picture, Truth or Dare is a floral,tuberose and amber blended masterpiece. The silage and lasting power is impressive. It's definitely for a grown woman and not a little girl. It has an 80's flair to it yet it's blatantly modern. It's pronounced and a hardcore headturner; much like the fragrances that warmed hearts in the 80's. Seductive and lady like. A very well formulated compostion. I'm impressed.

kittymoon
kittymoon

To me it starts off with a very granny flowery BANG, soon turns into a sweet, cinnamon/minty insence humm (flowers are still there!) and turns into a buddhist temple smell that lasts for absolutely AGES! I love it, I think it's very oriental. <3

sofababe
sofababe

OMG I wasn't expecting that! I tested this today and it actually made my nose hurt.
Its very very strong and in the style of one the big hitters from the 80s, powerful and, I suspect, headache inducing if worn for long.
I do like and admire Madonna but I hoped for something nicer than this from Her Madgesty.

Sorry, but no thank you.

And the bottle is horrible too, the plastic lid is so cheap and nasty looking. It feels like it would break very easily.

Jomoves

I remember Madonna when she first arrived on the scene in a mass of hair, lace and bangles. I was so curious to smell her fragrance that I actually paid $10 for a tester vial on eBay because it hasn't been released in Australia yet. I know, I'm insane, but I just HAD to try it.

A lot of comments on here have remarked that this smells very similiar to Kim Kardashians's namesake perfume, and they are right. It does, but with a slightly more musk/amber base. It lasts forever, which is remarkable in itself as we are seeing more and more fragrances with less lasting power than room sprays. I do get a slight Fracas vibe, but only because I was looking for it.

Overall I am disappointed. It's already been done before. This fragrance could almost be a Kim flanker. I actually think Madonna could have bucked the trend a bit and started her line with a male floral perfume. Now that would have been something different.

querelle
querelle

Even though lately she's been a bit of a ridicule, with no reason whatsoever, let's face it mates, she's Madonna. And Truth or Dare is very good. I do admire the bold and a tad dirty top, the heart which cannot decide "to stay dirty or not?" and finally the base going safely gourmand for the current trend because she's after the bling. It's rather expensive to be a Queen.. In music terms, top is Erotica, the heart is Bedtime stories and the base is MDNA..
Well, can't really blame her, can we? When she's been asked while presenting her film WE if she would give up her throne for a man, she replied: " I think I could have both.."
Self consciousness.

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

just like fracas

sharyn100
sharyn100

this has to be the worst perfume i have ever smelled !! it actually smells like a rim block for the toilet..no really !! so disappointed ;(

Sam2134
Sam2134

I have nothing against Madonna. I do like her music, although I think she should definitely stick to it. I can honestly say this is one of the worst fragrances I've smelled in my life. It smells like a heap of tuberose and gardenia drenched in old margarine. It gave me an instant headache; it was so foul, I had to immediately wash it off. If you must purchase, absolutely try (on your skin) before you buy.

Linden
Linden

Overly intensive tuberose; I find it overpowers the other florals. Although quite linear, the odd waxy synthetic accord that appears midway is nauseating, and creates a sombre rather than sexy impression IMO-
not what I had expected from the ad campaign.

There was some effort made here, that's evident and commendable, however the result is mediocre. I wonder how well this will do actually...

Cezanne
Cezanne

Wearing this right now. Tried it this 7 hours ago. Its softened but still very strong. Strongly reminiscent of Girand's Lysval or Versace's Blonde... definitely a grown up scent.

I dont like the bottle, its awkward and I thoroughly object to religious symbols on cosmetic products. From a distance it looks like a cheap plastic bottle of handcream.

Raina
Raina

I was very intrigued by this fragrance, not for it's celebrity, but for the tuberose. Its loud, white floral, and buttery, with the accent on butter. Its almost as though you litterally took tuberose, added a synthetic element, and slapped on some salty popcorn butter. After five minutes of smelling this I developed a sharp headache. Not for me at all.

moosemilk
moosemilk

I've only recently started to seek out fragrances & am learning to distinguish ingredients and notes/scents. With the recent purchase of ToD - I do like the bottle - I find that it gives me a headache. I believe it is the neroli, a scent I do not care for on its own, but would expect to be divine when reading a description of it. Not "heady" in a good way.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

Usually, tuberose and neroli are two of the worst notes on my skin, so I tried this perfume expecting to hate it.

On my skin I get tuberose which is sweetened up by the amber and musk. This is a scent which has to be on the skin for awhile before all the base notes really mix well with the potent tuberose.

The sillage of this perfume is high and lingering. So, put this on with a light hand. The lasting power of this EDP is amazing. It lasts all day long with only one spray.

This EDP reminds me very much of Versace's Blonde and Guerlain's Mahora, yet it's just a bit different than both of them with the more creamy, ambery base. I can definitely see Madonna's Italian roots when I smell this perfume. I can just picture Venice and Tuscany when I smell this. I think Madonna did a good job on this one. This won't be come my favorite scent but, I can see myself growing very fond of it.

madonnatella
madonnatella

it is a lovely perfume,with heady white flowers throughout,tuberose,gardenia,jasmine,and i never understand why people are so contrary to synthetically smelling components. if you want natural,go to the groceries. this is perfume as it should be,present,lasting,in a beautiful unusual bottle,and we never had expected something different from madonna. i love your scent madonna and i always loved and love you. this is definitely a "dare", a kind of giorgio for the 21th century.
aad aka "madonnatella"

Truth or Dare is mediocre at best. It has a plasticky tuberose leading this white floral pack with somewhat watery benzoin/amber combo. It doesn't smell all that natural to me, especially the vanilla. I wish she would create something more unisex because her fans are male too, but I understand her concept for this creation. It's a wise choice, and I love the bottle (looks very sacred and English like Clive Christain or Creed) I can't imagine something "floral fruity" or "pinky princess floral" from her. It's not a bad scent. It's just not as luscious as a white floral frag should be. Hopefully, if there were another Madonna's perfume, it'd be darker and more daring.

PerfumeManiac101
PerfumeManiac101

i smelled this fragrance at macy's. I like it! It smells very floral mixed with sweet vanilla.

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

Uninteresting. I forgot I was wearing it. Not a good sign.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Truth or Dare trends more toward "Truth" instead of "Dare." There's nothing daring in the mix, but this is a sincerely-composed, well conceived perfume, something perfect for women of all ages. It opens with a beautiful bouquet of tuberose, gardenia (which isn't overbearing), and heady jasmine. There's a synthetic sweetness highlighting the indolic aspects of the flowers, which wouldn't work if these petals weren't so gorgeously stinky! Sugar gives it balance, but it isn't heavy-handed, and the natural richness of the floral notes are allowed to shine and dominate. Gradually on my male, somewhat oily skin, a pretty benzoin and vanilla accord appears, evolving from the nondescript sweetness in the opening. The benzoin smells very "true" and creates a warm nuttiness in the base. Strong, but playful stuff, very mature, very French in feel. Interesting bottle, too. Good job, Madge.

Oh no. As I approached the perfume display for this fragrance, my heart made a little leap as the gardenia and tuberose smell gave the area a classy, classic smell with a sexy little twist of Jasmin. Optimism! Unfortunately, the moment I squirted it on my skin ALL I smelt was Jasmin, and a very sweet, synthetic Jasmin, which made me think maybe there was something like ylang ylang in there sweetening it up. The overall sweetness became stronger as the Jasmin became calmer, resulting in a smell similar to bubble gum and faint white flowers in the background on my skin. Not a good look. I felt like a streetwalker wearing what she thought was good perfume. (PS, I'm sure sex workers have *great* taste in fragrance in reality. This was just a mental image that came to mind to describe the smell.)

LEZ 7
LEZ 7

eek! worth the wait-NO.not for me.

puffling
puffling

Tuberosetastic! So ok if you like tuberose but way too heavy and headachey for me.

fayireton
fayireton

Oh dear, "Truth" is this is nasty "Dare" to wear it if you can......not good, made me feel ill. Sorry Madge, love your music and your amazing body but this "fragrance" stinks!!

Migotka
Migotka

A lot has been said about it before it hit the shelves. I was very interested by the concept.

First of all, I find the bottle design tacky and in real life it looks even cheaper than in photos.

Then the scent... Reminds me a lot of Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse Virginale, which is a good start, but not all that wearable. What I got first was a blast of tuberose, neroli and jasmine with some fruity undertones (melon? pineapple? a bit of strawberry). There is gardenia, there is musk, there is vanilla, and it is all awfully and unpleasantly sweet. This is not a controversial fragrance, it is just not mixed very well. I appreciate the effort and I still find her a smart businesswoman and a creative performer, but I find the scent disappointing.

For those who enjoy it, there is a bonus, it lasts and lasts and lasts.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I used to love Madonna. "Confessions" was her last decent album I think.

Big entertainment stars need to sell merchandise it seems to make a few more bucks. I very much dislike this phenomenon for it is so unnecessary and seems desperate.

The only nice thing about this scent is the bottle: simple, old-skool, nostalgic, ecclesial, gothic, stylish and coveted like an old bone china porcellain collector's doll.

The scent is very artificial for it is mainly tuberose and gardenia (the latter has to be artificially compsed for it cannot be naturally harvested).

I can see the concept of this and the original idea. It is just not a nice scent. Cloying and sickly sweet.

Mariah did a far better job with her debut fragrance launch.

Sorry Madonna, but stick to pop songs please.

Lune d'Ete
Lune d'Ete

I tried this one today at Sears, and it is one of those fracas wannabes: too sweet, too flat and cloying, everything fracas does not stoop down to. If you love white florals done with taste, get fracas or carnal flower. Those two are the real diamonds, this one is however a shiny tawdry vulgar big cubic zirconia, kind of like the woman behind the fragrance.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

Oh my goodness, I am so glad I did not 'blind buy' this one as it would have been heading straight in the pile of bad buys. I normally love tuberose/gardenia/jasmine scents and white flower scents, in fact they are my favourite...but this one....well when I sprayed it on the paper in the shop and also on my wrist, the gardenia smacked me in the face big time, it was very potent after one squirt and I found the scents of tuberose, jasmine and lilly were all screaming at me and fighting for attention. I couldn't scrub it off fast enough as my head was spinning after 5 minutes of being in it's vicinity.
I really thought I would have loved it but it's a big no no for me.

sarage
sarage

Now this fragrance has arrived in the Northern corner of Europe. I had a chance to test it today togeher with my 14 year old daughter.

First the positive things: the bottle design is great. It is unique and has the symbolism Madonna seems to like.
The other nice thing is that she was inspired by her late mother's scent.

It was clear for me that this is not my scent, because of the main accords. The same thing with Paris Hilton's Tease, but still I thought it is a great scent, just not for me.
I cannot say the same about Truth or Dare. I dare to tell the truth: this is the worst perfume I've tested in the last years.
"This smells very old-fashioned," said my daughter. I agree but it is not the only thing. Something doesn't match here. The drydown is simply awful.
We had to rinse our wrists fast, also my husband and son complained about the scent.
I like the smell of gardenia but cannot really find it in this. Are there too many components, which do not match?

blueangel0313
blueangel0313

I must say, I really liked this fragrance when I tried it on today. It has lasted all day and is a beautiful floral. I usually can't stand Tuberose in perfumes, but in this one, it was a light enough that it didn't bother me. I am not crazy about a lot of celebrity perfumes, but this perfume will indeed be my next for summer. Kudos to you Madonna.

BritXOX
BritXOX

I smelled it and it was just what I thought it would be. It is a heavy mature scent. The sweetness wasn't something I'd expect!

This scent is not the one I'd wear.

myplacebo
myplacebo

Having tested Fracas, OK, I can see the resemblance. This one is however, an empty ghost of Fracas, diluted down, and 10 notes taken out of the mix. Madonna known for her music and business savvi, surely can see the appeal of this one. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, it just feels like an imposter.

The tuberose is mid-range, leaning heavily to the watery, but rather flat and uninspiring. This is an unobtrusive wallflower good girl, towing the line. Dissapointingly, there's not much of the Madonna rebel or twists in this one.

A bit dull, linear for an hour, then the mix turns plasticky and waxy, and creates the feeling that my arm has transformed into a disassociated doll's arm, not part of me anymore.

Not bad for the money, with steady longevity about 6 hours and medium projection, that's dissolves steadily. But can't stop focussing on the plastic note, reinforced by the milky bottle, and it's pearly jointed edges, reminiscent of moulded lines on cheap doll's plastic joints. The bottle's religious references are the only homage to Madonna's heritage. The bottle feels horrible in the hand, like cold marble, perhaps that's supposed to be part of the sensory experience. Sorry, Madge, this water is not holy. Will it sell...of course...Affordable-ish Fracas wannabee, with a cult bottle design.

Ouch!
Ouch!

When I first sprayed I thought..YESS!! Another Tuberose perfume. Being that tuberose is my favourite note in a perfume I had high hopes. It smelled similar to my beloved Michael Kors "Michael". Neroli is another favourite note of mine so all was going well..

This did not last long.

When the drydown started, a strange sweet almost plasticy note started developing which was the benzoin..the notes started to clash and made me slightly giddy. Something in here isn't meshing with the rest of what would have been a winner! I'm always looking to add to my Tuberose collection.

I give Madonna kudos for actually having a hand in what went into her perfume which is more that alot of celebrities do but for me..it started well and ended badly. This is the first tuberose/white floral perfume I have disliked....EVER!

TRUTH is I also find the bottle hideous! Would I DARE to wear it? NO!

Sorry Madge...maybe I'll like the next one!

ThesPNation
ThesPNation

Truth or Dare: Fragrance Review

Throughout Madonna’s 30+ year career, much has been accomplished. It is very likely that no other female artist will ever reach her level of success. With the undisputed title of being the ‘Queen of Pop’, she has often faced a lot of criticism, hatred, and immeasurable expectations from the masses. With each project she takes on, she aims to exceed all expectations. Granted, she is not perfect (no one is), but she is one of the hardest working women I’ve ever known to exist. She goes out and gets whatever she wants, and that I admire. In 1984 (while I was on Earth for only a year) when Dick Clark of American Bandstand asked her about her hopes and dreams for her career she said she wanted to rule the world, which she has done more than once.

Despite all of her achievements and ventures, there is one thing that has eluded her, and that is the world of fragrance. This arena is near and dear to her heart because this is one of the few memories she has of her mother as she passed when Madonna was very young. She has often stated that she remembers how her mother wore a scent that consisted of tuberose and gardenia, two white floral notes that leave a lasting impression on the senses.

Throughout her life she has reportedly worn various perfumes to remind her of her mother, have a piece of her with her always. Fragrances like Robert Piguet’s Fracas, Tubereuse of L’Artisan Parfumeur or even Tubereuse Indiana by Creed have all been a part of her adult life. Though they may remind her of what her mother once wore, they are not personal as the fragrance is not her own and certainly not her mother’s scent. Fragrance is special in that it can be a lot of different things, with memories being one in particular.

Madonna could have made a fragrance a long time ago. During the Blonde Ambition era or fast forward to the Ray of Light era, Madonna had the world in the palm of her hand. These (and many other times) were great periods for her to release a perfume. A lot of celebrities release fragrances that are devoid of substance. Rather than following the common path of many, Madonna chose to be patient and wait for the perfect time to create a fragrance of her own. As with anything she does, she had a hand in everything involving the creation of Truth or Dare, which was released in April 2012.

Being that I am the epitome of a Cancer, I am obsessed with fragrance, so I have a substantial collection. Once I discovered that Madonna’s fragrance was out, I began to read an assortment of reviews. As expected, a lot of reviews were about one’s personal feelings about Madonna the celebrity and not the fragrance; fascinating isn’t it? Though I am one of Madonna’s biggest fans, I wanted to be completely unbiased. I did not let my love and adoration for her influence my opinion. So now, on to my first experience with Truth or Dare, a perfume for women or men not bound by societal norms.

I decided to pick up a sample because I never buy a fragrance blindly. I feel that fragrance must be worn on your skin and settle for some time before you can truly invest in it as you may not like and thus have buyer’s remorse. Initially I sprayed my left wrist, requested a sample and headed home. While in my car, the fragrance enveloped me; it was as if I had sprayed much more than one part of my body. The fragrance comes off as being very feminine, intoxicating and smart.

It was immediately evident to me that the top notes had to be white flowers: you can pick up tuberose, a hint of neroli and gardenia. I personally love gardenia (Chantecaille’s Pétales is a personal favorite of mine), so this was a pleasure to pick up in this scent. At the same time I felt a blast of jasmine hit me in the proboscis. This is said to be a middle note, but it is very intense at the beginning. Though it is rather bold upon your first whiff, the other white flowers blend well to make it enjoyable. I have never been a huge fan of jasmine (which is why I cannot wear Tom Ford’s Jasmine Rouge), so this was very important to me. With the combination of these particular notes, I was immediately reminded of Thierry Mugler’s masterpiece Alien; you can think of Truth or Dare as similar but much more soft when it comes to the jasmine. They are still very different fragrances so you can rest any possible worries you may have.

As a few hours went by, the jasmine was still with me, feeling almost as if someone was spritzing it in the air amongst the other notes; it was so beautiful. You can also pick up benzoin and I wasn’t able to pick up the lily that is reported to be a part of the heart notes. What I found very interesting was as the jasmine started to get more intense on my skin, I smelled leather. I kept putting my wrist to my nose because I love the smell of leather (so naturally I like John Varvatos or even Dzing! By L’Artisan Parfumeur). A group of white flowers and benzoin lead me to smell leather; brilliant. Once I hit the five hour mark, the fragrance took me for another ride.

At this point, the volume was turned up; all the way up. Truth or Dare was leaning more towards dare; it was so sexy I would have done anything at that moment. With the smell of leather on me, I began to pick up an animalic hint of musk. I also picked up vanilla and caramel, two gorgeous gourmands. I discovered the amber is caramelized amber, which made it even better. I cannot truly put into words how hot it smelled so deep into having it on me. The caramelized amber made me want to take a bite out of my wrist and deal with the consequences later. No dare was required for it was my truth.

After approximately eight or nine hours, the jasmine calms, the other white flowers disappear, a smidge of benzoin is there and we are left with the base notes that linger; they come in waves of sorts. I continued to smell vanilla, amber and musk well into 14 hours of wearing this fragrance. It was like dessert; saving the best for last. I should also note that I actually took a shower and still could smell it on my wrist afterwards; I was very impressed.

Overall, I am very pleased with this fragrance
and do plan to buy it in the largest size offered. I am not one to purchase ancillaries so the fragrance itself will suffice. This fragrance has depth and dimension. It is very clear that Madonna put a lot into forming this fragrance. It is not a cliché celebrity fragrance that reeks of sugary sweet notes or poorly blended florals. I would also like to add that I did not smell Fracas in this fragrance; some notes perhaps but no, this is not Fracas; they are very different. This fragrance is more of a fall/winter scent in my mind, but due to its sex appeal, it could be worn any time you want to be romantic or simply have someone devour you. Kudos Madge. I highly recommend you give this one a try.

-sP

Helsinki

First impression: Jasmine, vanilla, tuberose, gardenia. The gardenia is simply huge. Benzoin is definitely lurking beyond with musc.

Sweet and distinct. Although this fragrance isn't for me, I'm not surprised if it will sell well!

Anna_V
Anna_V

I love this fragrance, it smells and floral but not overwhelming. Can definitely be worn during the day or at night time.Ever since going to Hawaii, I have been obsessed with the scent of tuberoses that they use in their leis for fragrance between the orchids. Well, one sniff of this and it took me right back! I was hooked! I will also have to try Kim Kardasian as so many here have mentioned it smells similar. Thanks!

Sliver1
Sliver1

As a huge Madonna fan I remember the days of 'Holy Water', the fragrance she was allegedly working on in 1993. So I've been looking forward to her first foray into the world of perfume for nearly 20 years. In fact, Truth or Dare has the kind of bottle I'd imagined Holy Water would appear in - it looks like a Holy Water flacon. (And just for the record the bottle is not plastic but milk-glass.). As a male perfume connoisseur (I wear both female and male scents) I was obviously excited to get my bottle which I bought blind. Truth or Dare is not a youth perfume. It has no sugary, cloying, cotton-candy notes which drag down most celebrity perfumes but is instead a straightforward floral with an amber and musk base. And it's lovely. It goes on strong. I was worried that a spritz to each side of the neck and another on the wrist would be far too much for daytime but shouldn't have worried. Whilst it remains potent, it settles down with lily and musk coming forefront to give you a lovely, creamy sillage. And, yes, men can get away with it. I've had two men ask me what I'm wearing and where they can get some. And almost every woman I know who has smelt it has expressed enthusiasm. Truth or Dare has also, so far, gone down very well on a night-out where I obviously applied a bit more. As I warmed up so did the fragrance, those gorgeous tuberose and gardenia notes rising from under my shirt until the wee hours of the morning. For a mid-range scent, it doesn't smell cheap and as Madonna would never put anything out there she isn't prepared to wear herself, this shouldn't come as a huge surprise. Truth - nothing earth-shattering; a simple, straightforward scent that smells good and lasts. Dare - Whilst simple and straightforward, it doesn't smell quite like anything else out there. I feel very comfortable wearing Truth or Dare and that's when you know a fragrance is working. When you catch it throughout the day and think, 'mmmmm.' Highly recommended. But don't overdo it during the day.

Wristsniffer

Outofocus, I believe the reason why so many of us feel compelled to give a thorough description of a celebrity scent is because those of us who are very interested in the world of perfume - in everything from the perfumers involved, to the inspiration behind the scent, to the quality of the ingredients used, to the finished product itself - are intrigued by the entire process by which a fragrance comes into production. Celebrity scents are often simply endorsed by the celebrity - who may or may not have had anything to do with the production process - so it's interesting when one does play an active role in designing the juice, as Madonna reportedly has. It's similar to when an actor releases an album or a musician attempts to act, the world watches in anticipation to see if the celebrity is talented in more than one field. In the world of luxury fragrance, celebrity scents are not highly regarded, so when one is released that is of notable quality, the fragrance community is often surprised.

I don't think any of us here, unless we are actual perfumers, claim to be experts giving expert opinions, as most of us here have a healthy respect for the talented perfumers who feed our fragrance habits and wouldn't dream of calling ourselves experts by comparison. I, for one, come to Fragrantica to get the opinions of fellow fragrance lovers who may or may not have a lot of experience with fragrance, but who love to experiment and educate themselves about the art. Sometimes even the simplest two-line review from one who knows very little about scent can offer valuable insight into a juice I may be contemplating spending money on.

I do agree with what you said: "it's just another fragrance...if you like it, just enjoy it." I think that's the case with all perfumes - one should wear them because one simply enjoys them without pretense. The analyzation process is just part of the fun for many of us here in the community. We value each others' opinions, associations and interpretations of fragrance - even when we disagree with them. We offer our opinions because they may be helpful to others and because we simply enjoy talking about scent.

outofocus

I wonder why all these long and complicated comments on this frag!
Why so many people have to give an expert's opinion on this celebrity endorsed perfume??

It's the miracle of mass media, a huge pop star, an icon of its generation lauches a fragance to increase even more her fat bank account and bloggers react with a sense of: well I have to give a rational expert opinion on why I am drawn to buy it!

Don't worry too much, don't try to analyse it, it's just another fragance... if you like it, just enjoy it.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

Now, when I first had the bottle in my hand I couldn't help noticing that it looks a lot like a holy-water flacon, the kind you can take with you. The gold crucifix logo entwined with the "M" strengthens that impression even more. Given that it's Madonna who (no doubt!) had her hands in every pie whilst this perfume was made. I can appreciate this 'clue' to her name and her signature rosary beats worn as necklaces in the early 80s. Very clever marketing. So far, so Madonna.

When I sprayed this on I was in a perfumery shop and they had so many scents floating around that your nose becomes desensitized from just being in there. But...this scent won't be ignored! I smelled it over everything, and how!! If there ever was an 'ode' to gardenia, jasmine and tuberose, this must be right up there with the best! It's an amazing scent and a hate or love perfume. I had to let it sink in and unfold. But I can already tell that these notes take turns and sometimes even seem to "fight" for center stage. Definitely an evening or special occasion scent.

It's been now about 4+ hours that I first sprayed this on and I must say. I think I have to add this one to my collection.
Here is why: I don't have anything quite like this in my collection. I find that this cauldron of white florals is seductive and very VERY recognizable without that it smothers you (if sprayed with caution!) And its scent evolvement makes for a very unusual harmony of notes on my skin. Compared to what a lot of other celebrities are charging for their so-so scents, Truth or Dare is not that expensive, yet smells expensive. But most importantly, I like it! And, no I am not a 'fan'...does that even matter? A perfume is a perfume and should be judged with your nose and skin.

A definite must sample before purchase. And if you're a floral fan this must be on your 'must sniff' list. Even if you don't care for Madonna.

Wristsniffer

Before acknowledging the celebrity endorsement of the juice, I'll give an uninfluenced impression of the scent itself, which is, I have to admit, daring.

Upon first sniff, I was surprised by a sweet, powdery and simultaneously syrupy bubblegum impression, which kept the shock of a very bold jasmine from overwhelming my nose. Here is a white floral in all its glory, unabashed and untamed - not a warm, abstract white floral like the tuberose in Michael Kors; and despite the comparisons, not an overwhelming, in-your-face concoction comparable to Fracas. Okay, yes, there are some similarities, but can we agree that Fracas is only so great because it wonderfully recreates the actual smell of a real tuberose? I don't get as much tuberose from Truth or Dare as I do jasmine, but the note is nonetheless detectable, and I think, comparable to Fracas because it is well-composed and smells genuine. For someone who appreciates Fracas and admires it on others, but finds it too overwhelming and dated on herself, I can say that Truth or Dare is a slightly sweeter take on a white floral that I'd not be ashamed to choose over Fracas, as I find it more easily wearable.

As the scent wears, it retains the light, powdery sweetness, though the candy-bubblegum aspect gives way to more of the white flowers, which project very well. It lasted a good six hours on my skin before fading to a musky skinscent, which was as much soapy as it was sweet. It's almost as though the perfumer layered a very rich, clean, white floral over a base of powdered vanilla and lily, but found the perfect mixture of each note so that the whole thing comes together quite nicely and isn't easily dissected for the sum of its parts.

A white floral that is poorly put-together can easily take on a "hairspray" persona, and Truth or Dare straddles the line of excess and class, just as the endorser herself, without ever really crossing the line into either. Truth or Dare is pretty, fun, and, as I mentioned daring. It's not every day that one picks up a new brew at the perfume counter in Macy's to discover a loud white floral that is saved from being flippant by the coy and innocent sweetness that makes the juice unique. If I had to choose a celebrity scent (and I've only owned one - SJP Lovely), one could certainly do worse than Madonna. Love her or hate her - she's made a household name for herself and she's one of those celebrities who has, despite provocative pornographic displays, managed to maintain an air of mystery about herself and her life. Admire her courage or hate her for her incessant determination, but who among us has not sung along to at least one of her multiple hits throughout the decades?

If any of you have tried Lust by Lush, you may find yourself comparing the two scents, as I did. Overall, an unbiased sniff is recommended. A lot of work reportedly went into this fragrance (around 200 rejected compositions until Madonna was satisfied). I prefer my white florals in the form of tiare with coconut, but if I were seeking something less tropical, I'd consider a full bottle of this.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Normally, I make an effort to ignore when a celebrity is endorsing a scent and I feel I'm doing their brand a favor by being impartial about it. But can I just say, now that Madonna has a fragrance, the World feels a little more whole? She's a polarizing figure but a constant one and the woman really understands glamour; the fine line between refined, establishment elegance and trashy, garish kitsch. That's what fuels the dream spinning industries -- an underlying conflict between pure, salt-of-the-earth beauty and fun sex.

The scent: That raspy, tuberose oil, "Blu" by Bruno Acampora, with it's astringent, jammy undertones, contrasted by a creamy-sweet gardenia mixed with lactic jasmine (similar to the jasmine found in Yves Roche's "Tendre Jasmine"). The indoles are actually pretty low-key, but floral in a distinct, retro way that says: I am not a vague, polite wash that could be mistaken for tea water, I'm a Perfume On Purpose, hear me roar. A very subtle, ambery church-pew-wood-with-incense scent and a hint of rosiness in the drydown and I'm reminded of the subtle, plastic-rose undertones of "Exclamation", another Coty scent I recently reviewed.

There's nothing I can say about the Madonna factor, that "Fruit Diet" didn't already say so well, but it's interesting how pre-cognescent Madonna is about coming trends; she sees that rave style and early 90's trends are making a comeback and that consumers are apt to be moving back to loud fragrances, with character and "Truth or Dare" arrives just in time to satisfy demand.

I've only tested this, but don't be surprised to see it floating next to my avatar within the next, couple of weeks. Personally, I'm sick of inoffensive, crisp beauty. Even if I'll wear this lightly in buttoned-up places, I want to rustle-up the glum status-quo. I want drama. I want to offend and bother people, have them notice my fragrance. I want to walk by and have people think "what the f&*% was that?" or "fun sex". This blend will do it.

bo2012
bo2012

I was very tempted to buy this fragrance yesterday while browsing at Macys. I tested it on paper and also on my skin. Woke up this morning, and smelled my wrist. This fragrance lasted a long time. Not to mention, it still lingers on the paper I sprayed a week ago. Love the dry down. Most definitely will add this to my perfume collection.

chowchow41
chowchow41

I DARE to have bought it blind. So now the TRUTH. Its lovely soft gardenia [not loud but soft] with amber [the 2 prominent notes], its sweet but not gourmand sweet. In small amount comes the jasmine shining trough. I like it. Its not bad at all. It reminds me of Roberto Cavalli for her but much softer and better. In 2 hours it becomes more skinscent. My husband asked how he was but he didnt notice that i was wearing it. Give it a chance.

Quasar
Quasar

.....SHE MADE PERFUME SHE LIKES........SHE MADE PERFUME BASING ON HER MEMORIES.....THATS WHY ITS SIMILAR TO FRACCAS.......BUT STILL HAS HER OWN INDETITY.....
SOFTER THAN FRACCA ....U CAN CLEARLY FEEL CARMEL NOTES .....AND VANILA UNDERTONES.....
GOOD SCENT GREAT NOSE MADE IT ELEGANT BOTTLE.....SPECIALY FOR THIS PRICE.......
U DONT HAVE TO LOVE THIS SCENT BUT PLEASE BEING OBJECTIVE .....IT VERY WELL MADE FRAGRANCE

fashionfaerie
fashionfaerie

I tested this one without having read anything about it. Sprayed on a card it gave me an immediate pleasant sensation of being familiar, which I'm sure is the Fracas reference. As it warmed up on my skin I got the most wonderful surprise - with my chemistry it becomes simply a very sweet, sunny-yet-indolic jasmine over dusty, mellow benzoin and vanilla. The sweetness is pronounced and radiant, yet it doesn't shriek. The total effect is very soft and without the tart/sharp notes that have kept me away from literally every modern floral/floriental (why must they all have such prominent sour fruit notes?) Smelling the card I sprayed a couple of days ago, I get gardenia and maybe pear, so I can see where the Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia and Amarige comparisons are coming from, yet as worn, it didn't resemble either of those on me. I suspect there must be a lot of action going on in the basenotes for it to have developed as well as it did on my skin - most of my regular scents are very base-heavy with predominantly amber/resinous and gourmand notes, and anything without enough of that weight falls apart within minutes on me. Truth or Dare hangs in there and develops beautifully into a calm, warm, and quiet drydown that hints at gourmand yet isn't thick/sticky. I found it relatively easy to wear, and this is not something I ever say about big white florals of any era, so I DO think there's something special and new/old about its construction. For the record, I am 47, so of about the same "perfume generation" as Madonna herself. Age probably does matter some when it comes to what we think smells right, scent being about memory and all.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

OK...this one was on promo on the mall. I wanted to smell it since I read about it here. The marketing is superb..all the music videos from the early days to the last ones. Got my sample and yikes...it's all about gardenias on my skin; such a simple frag for $56 (1.7oz)? I love Madonna but this one smells like Gardenias by Elizabeth Arden. Although this one has been discontinued, I can still get it for $17-$20(the big bottle). And the smell and bottle is way better.

jellybeantree

I just tested this and it is a strong tuberose and gardenia scent. It dries down to a bit of a sweeter floral, I have to say there is skank affect to this fragrance but skank can sometimes be a good thing! I find it is a little like fracas but fracas is more elegant and fruity, while truth or dare is more modern and a tad chemical smelling. It is well done and to be honest its not my style of a fragrance but it is well done for the price! I personally wouldn't wear it though. If I have to choose a tuberose fragrance I prefer Michael kors or Fracas. Thats just me. As for the bottle , it is a weird octagon shape and its kinda strange looking. I think this fragrance has good lasting power , I have to admit I am a madonna fan, but I prefer her music over her fragrance.

muskymale
muskymale

I was in Selfridges yesterday to smell this perfume, and my first impression was: floral tuberose, gardenia and jasmine all the way. Oh yes ladies... It reminded me a lot of Amariage by Givenchy, but luckily not as fruity or cold as Amarige. Truth or dare is a much warmer scent than Amariage in my opinion. I would desrcibe this perfume as Oriental Floral and Musky!

I found it quite warm and wearable on my skin thanks to the caramelised amber, vanilla absolute and musk undertone, but I do understand why some people might be put off by the intense smell of the floral top notes! It is intense indeed, and for the long haul! I, however, love the vanilla in the middle notes! It blends very well as the scent goes to the even warmer base notes. What I like most of all is that I don't find the smell to be synthetic at all unlike most other celeb fragrances out there (without mentioning names!)

Well, Truth or Dare...?

Truth: I like it enough from its very first impression on me, but I can't say I love it YET. It is definitely for a more mature and classy audience who love their Fracas and Shalimar etc. However, I do love the bottle! It's very Catholic chic! Fabian Baron did a fantastic job once again!

Dare: Today is my second day of wearing it in a wet damp English weather and I must say I felt embraced and warmed by the smell at the same time. No bad for a celebrity fragrance, and this is my first ever celeb scent I have ever owned. I bought the 30ml for £25 in here.

Thanks, Madonna!!! Not a bad effort for your debut perfume!

Ps. This scent was made by the same company who made Tom Ford's Black Orchid!

Update: I absolutely adore this perfume now. I've been wearing it almost everyday and for the price this is excellent! Thanks Madonna!

miss_piggy
miss_piggy

I have always liked Madonna for her attitude and style, and her music isn't bad either. I think I just really don't like gardenias anymore.. or tuberose, whatever that is. I think all my gardenia scented perfumes are going in a box, in my closet. At first whiff, I was SO going to buy a full bottle. Ten minutes later, I got a very faint bitter undertone. I don't know if it's my chemistry or the gardenias. If you're even a little bit curious about this, stop being cheap and get on Ebay and buy yourself a sample. It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be. I think it's just not my thing.

Update on 8/30/2013 The bitter undertone wasn't the gardenia, and goes away in a bit. I really like this, and probably will have to buy the bottle.

L'eaulita
L'eaulita

Truth or Dare pays homage to Madonna's mother, and is an obvious reference to the heavy hitting tuberose-laden Fracas by Robert Piguet, the fragrance her mother wore. It incorporates another favourite scent- gardenia. Madonna wanted to recreate the memory of how her mother smelled to her, and with the help of perfumer Stephen Nilsen, she's done a good job of translating this olfactive memory into a modern day fragrance. It plays up the religious influence of her name and Catholic upbringing, with a bottle designed to resemble a flacon of Holy Water and the resinous aspects of church incense.

Truth
Like an opening night performance, she starts off with a blast- in this case tuberose and white florals that are bold and emblazoned, but not suffocating. The tuberose misses the mark to create the well rounded buttery quality that replicates Fracas, feeling somewhat thin and engineered. While 'thin' usually signals 'cheap', like almost anything Madonna touches, it has managed to translate into shiny and new. Much like taking scraps of raggy lace and rubber typewriter bands and turning them into fashion statements and tools of empowerment. You don't feel cheated, but you're aware that we are indeed living in a material world and money inevitably has the last say when it comes to accessibility. Madonna even admitted this is what kept her from arriving earlier in the fragrance realm, emphasizing that there were issues around creating something that was quality enough to bear her name, yet affordable in the mass market that she could stand behind.
The gardenia appears green and waxy, spread a bit too thin to be lush- but there's so much going on, that you're still entertained. Like the entertainer, she may be a bit thin on vocal ability, but she sure knows how to put on a hell of a show and make it work. Orange Blossom lends its fullness, and spicy lily nips at your nose unexpectedly, imparting a kick of peppery heat to keep the florals from becoming too heady. It reins in the tuberose and tries to tame the indolic jasmine that seems to take center stage- much like the 10yr old Madonna wearing a swimsuit and neon paint, go-go dancing at a school recital under a black light. Parents were horrified, and anyone who doesn't know what real jasmine is will be too. Indolic jasmine can smell like mothballs and in this fragrance, it acts as a conductor, sending vapours out in exhausted, forceful pants like the last vocals of Love Don't Live Here Anymore. This is where the fragrance seems to linger most, in a stage of suspended animation while the crowd screams for more, then hushes in anticipation of the spoken message.

Dare
Without darkness there can be no light, and Truth or Dare creates a tangible example.
Resinous amber and benzoin lurk beneath the florals, giving it a dusty, (easily interpreted as powdery) vintage and austere feel to it. If you let your imagination go, you can almost feel the heavy, hard uncomfortable pews in church, designed to keep you upright and reminded that Christ endured and so must you. Yet, like a well-delivered sermon, its heavy and weightless all at once, sunken and concealed beneath the florals giving a dimension of depth, yet buoyant to keep them uplifted towards the light. The two opposites of light and dark, fluid and unmoving, create an intriguing duality that validates the seemingly corny name, rendering it wholly apt.

Synthetic skin musks and vanilla absolute buffer the zone between the two, never becoming individually obvious, instead interacting as necessary shepherds throughout the transitioning of the two extremes.

As the fragrance dries down, the benzoin and amber become more prominent and linger like the last wisps of smoke from a censer, somewhat textured and scratchy.
Sillage and longevity are reasonable. Despite being loud at first unleashing, it smooths out within minutes and unless you douse yourself in it, it should be easy enough to wear without offending.

Truth or Dare is a well crafted fragrance that isn't dumbed down for the masses. In fact, many of the masses can be heard with their protests of "old lady smell" which translates into "mature". It has the facets of a classic with a fresh and modern interpretation that should enjoy a long shelf life, providing an alternative to the sugar laden nose candy offered up by other celebs. Madonna can take a bow for a job well done, she has managed to convey the sentiment for which she strove and balanced it perfectly with her strong, persuasive, brashy-to-classy style.

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

Okay, I went to buy and did not. I was being super opened despite the very mixed views. Well, the initial first hour was hard. Tuberose to the max. I could not escape it. There was a heavy, heavy, sweet, gummy, plastic, shot of it. After one hour on me it did not diminish or develop. I was waiting for some jasmine or gardenia or lilly to come to my rescue, but assertive tuberose would not permit them through. 2 hours later it mellowed but tuberose remained the lead actor in a one man show rather than a theater group it should have been. The critics have said both good and bad on this one. It was unfortunate that, on me, it remained utterly linear and without depth. I was actually sad about it because I thought it would at least be added to my collection. No chance of that now.

makeupwoot
makeupwoot

I've never been a big fan of celebu-scents. I don't keep up with their lives, careers, or dramas and I certainly don't salivate or run screaming to the perfume counter at opening on the day a new fragrance is released. As for Madonna, I purchased 3 of her CD's back in high school and always thought of her as a savvy business woman who knew how to market herself well. When it comes to the crazy world of celebrity scents, I was somewhat surprised that she HADN'T released one. The first I heard of it about a year ago that she was working on one, I was intrigued. Always a free spirit and a woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go after it, I was expecting something in the same vein as "Lovely" or "Queen," something that would be unique and didn't follow the same tired, exhausted notes of, "berries, more berries, 2 fruits, 1 flower, vanilla, musk, rinse and repeat." I believe Madge has delivered that. It's certainly not like any other celebu-scent out there and it is one-of-a-kind in the celebrity category.

Please note: I have not said that it is something I ENJOY.

Believe, me, I wanted to like this, in fact, I wanted to love it, but I would have settled for like.

It is indeed an unusual white floral when first sprayed and the amber is there as well. On first spray it began medium bodied and within 5 minutes of the alcohol drying it exploded into a big sweet, just-next-door-to-CLOYING, wad of Gardenia and Tuberose being crammed up my nostrils with a chimney brush: I was in giant white floral heaven! Then, within 20 minutes the explosion settled down into a dry, dusty, scent that reminded me of powdery amber. Admittedly, amber is not my favorite of notes but I can deal with it when well composed but somehow the "powdery" edge that it had turned the whole thing into a scrubber for me.

Several have described it as "old lady" another (brilliantly I believe) described it as a "busted White Shoulders," which is sadly accurate to my nose. The best thing I can think of to describe it would be the scent of the lingering sillage in a small room that had just been vacated by two septuagenarians, one doused heavily in Elizabeth Taylor's "Gardenia," and the other in 10 hour old Clinique "Aromatics Elixir." I have always been a fan of big, gaudy, slap-you-across-the-face white florals and it absolutely KILLS me to have to state that if I had to choose between this and another well known big white floral, Kim Kardashian, I would have to *gag* choose the K.K.
*facepalm*

As I stated previously, it is certainly one of a kind, and I do applaud Madge for an honest endeavor to make what she wanted and envisioned as her own "perfect scent." I am also pleased that she wanted something that was specifically targeted at the 35-45 age range, a demographic that is practically ignored in mass market fragrance, I just wish that the marketing team had put together more than one or two focus groups of women in that age range before putting it into full production.

Quade
Quade

I smelt this fragrance a few days ago and what I got on the sample card was a mix of "Well what did you expect?" and "Oh ok its a little different!" Like others have pointed out this fragrance does share similarities with other White floral fragrances, particularly Kim Kardashian comes to mind, but Truth or Dare doesn't have a poor quality smell to it like KK does. To me this smells quite expensive and upmarket for a "Celebrity fragrance". I particularly enjoy the Gardenia and the Tuberose in this fragrance, they seem to work together quite well and are balanced with a heavy dose of Amber and Vanilla. It could be easy to say this is just your typical white floral fragrance but at the end of the day its not all that bad. The lasting power is very good as well, so I definetly recommend checking it out.

Senzadite
Senzadite

She came out with a great record that is MDNA but this fragrance is a vile copy of Fracas...loads and loads of gardenia and tuberose with hints of vanilla not bad but for an artist like her this so long awaited perfume is boring very boring.

distortech
distortech

Very pleasant from start to finish! It has a wonderful progression that lasts hours and hours! Classic floral in vibe, nouveau in overall character. Perfect. Well done!

secretcrush
secretcrush

This smells like a 1972 French socialite complete with her printed silk blouse, greasy wine-colored lips, pewter-shadowed lids and dark roots and u know wut!? I abdolutely love it lmbao!!! Powdery gardenia and creamy tuberose run this mutha giving off that old-world vibe while jasmin adds spice. Vanilla absolute and amber keep it from smelling identical to other white floral fragrances like Kim Kardashian, Creed Love in White, Tease, Michael Kors etc... While there r similarities I think Truth or Dare stands on its own because it is a white floral indeed but it also has gourmand as well as oriental properties as mentioned in a previous review... Also mentioned in a previous review it is easily unisex because it isnt overly sweet... Its long-lasting and has a beautiful ambery drydown tingled with tuberose...

Grottola
Grottola

Well then.

As a twenty year-old, boyish-looking male with a passion for perfume, my sexuality gets asked about a lot. While I am straight, people are quick to assume "gay" because I like fragrances, and that I'm also a big fan of Madonna. Shallow assumptions aside, Madge and I go way back - some of my earliest childhood memories involve my mom playing the Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light albums for me. I think Madonna is one of the greatest musical artists ever, and I think I'll always love anything she puts out. That being said, I've always secretly wished for a fragrance from her, and knew it would come out someday. To think, when the two "effeminate" aspects of my personality - Madonna and perfume - reach a crossroads, God only knows what could be achieved. And, I was a little wary, considering how it's Coty, and I think something great could have been made if the right raw materials were utilized.

Well, it is something great. On my skin, Truth or Dare is primarily a jasmine fragrance, with tuberose and gardenia to support it. While the gardenia is unfortunately short-lived, as expected, the jasmine and tuberose combine to create so many different facets from just two flowers alone. The jasmine is slightly chalky and a little indolic, to show a hint of raunchiness. The tuberose is delectable and creamy, ala Fracas, and gives off this effect that's kind of like eating cornbread or something, just because of how rich and filling the tuberose feels - I get that same effect from vintage Poison. For the most part, that seems to be the fragrance. I get hints of styrax (benzoin) and amber in the drydown, but the stars here are a somewhat naughty jasmine vs. a creamy and lovable tuberose. I guess that's a lot like Madge herself, especially in the early days - classy and bleach blonde, yet risque and naughty. I guess you could say this is "Like a Virgin" on her wedding day; still pure and innocent, yet naughty in the sense that she'll be losing her virginity soon.

I get great sillage and longevity out of this one, as expected. If you're a fan of florals, or just wanna see how far they've come, you should definitely try Truth or Dare. It's an excellent fragrance that highlights both jasmine and tuberose in an accessible, yet well-handled way; as expected of Madge.

Great stuff. GONNA DRESS YOU UP IN MY LOOOOOOOVE!

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

When I told the sales associate at Macy’s that I had come for the Madonna perfume, she didn’t question for even a second the fact that I'm a man or inquire whether I was buying it for a female relative. She knew it was for me and was totally unfazed, an indication that a lot of gay men must be buying Truth or Dare regardless (or perhaps because of) its Jungle Gardenia aspirations. The placement of the fragrance in the store could not have been an accident: it was not obviously situated at the men’s or women’s counters, but in between. Truth or Dare’s unisex intent is further established by its wonderful television ad that visually recalls Madonna’s “Erotica” phase (reviled at the time but now the hottest and most imitated aesthetic reference around) and the noticeable absence of the usually front-and-center gendered marketing terminology: the female announcer merely says, “Truth or Dare, the new fragrance by Madonna.” Not “perfume.” Not “for her.” Fragrance. Nor is it printed anywhere on the box that it is for women. Very clever.
To begin with, nothing you have heard about this fragrance is true, and the general puzzlement and overqualified, reluctant, tight-lipped simultaneous approval /condemnation of it in the perfume blogosphere reflects this. All the reviews thus far go something like this: the reviewer will begin with a disclaimer that she has “admittedly never been a huge fan of Madonna,” a sentiment that I hear every day from every single person every single time Madonna is mentioned that mysteriously belies the fact that Madonna’s tour dates sell out within seconds at astronomical prices and that she is still probably the most famous woman in the world. The reviewer will then marvel at how Madonna is so late to the celebrity fragrance game, insert an unfunny, irrelevant jab about her age, after which will be placed in block quotation the PR copy about the perfume. The reviewer will say that the fragrance smells surprisingly good, surprisingly “old lady” in that it has an extremely noticeable floral component, but will conclude that Truth or Dare is nothing to write home about because who has time for this when you can wear perennial snob favorite Carnal Flower or some other Edgy Cool Indie White Floral that’s not EMBARRASSING like the Madonna perfume! One reviewer cynically and prematurely bashes anyone who might be tempted to “applaud it simply because it is not a predictable cotton candy ditz department store fragrance.” All of this goes to show that Madonna is still a heated, relevant, and above all HIGHLY stigmatized cultural property, as much as she was in the 80’s and 90’s- everyone is fascinated with everything she does, and everyone is still too frightened to immediately embrace any of it until a few years have passed and a bolder critic has stated that it’s okay to like it.
I digress. Wait, no I don’t, because this is a celebrity perfume, and the public perception of the famous name affixed is as integral to the identity of the product as Bruce Weber’s cold, explicit images of Kate Moss were to Calvin Klein’s Obsession, or Victor Skrebneski’s spacious WASP mansion panoramas were to Estee Lauder . Any discussion of Truth or Dare must by necessity include a discussion of Madonna and the fragrance’s marketing. While Truth or Dare is stated to be retro tuberose gardenia floral—a tribute to Madonna’s mother’s unnamed signature scent assumed by everyone to be Fracas—it is in actuality an unexpected, complex, unusual, firmly unisex musk scent with floral, oriental, and gourmand elements in equal measure. It simply smells undeniably terrific: streamlined, sexy, sweet but not too sweet, floral but not too floral, rich but pleasantly cheap, but sniff closer and its shocking character is readily apparent: this is an indole, rubber, and musk fragrance! It is as if a creamy, proudly synthetic white floral accord that smells ambiguously of tuberose, gardenia, and jasmine is underlined by a fierce cocktail of every weird off note that goes along with those smells: big burnt rubber , big fecal indole (to rival Brent Leonesio’s Untitled #8). How is no one noticing how dirty this fragrance is? I have NEVER smelled such proudly displayed skank notes in any mid-range department store celebrity scent! Perhaps it is because the off notes are married so perfectly to a hippie-ish androgynous salty ambery oriental musk base with a beautifully executed burnt sugar note. Truth or Dare’s closest relatives are, I would say, Angel for its two-sided vulgar structure, Juicy Couture for its salty gourmand florals, and Jovan Musk for its loud, ungendered statement of cheap and fun sexuality.
Any complaints? It should probably be labeled an EDT rather than an EDP if only to encourage people to spray it on in great quantities. It is assertive but always pleasant and its ambery musk sticks around a shockingly long time. Depending on how much you wear, it can be a good-time clubbing scent or something more polite for the office. Totally versatile.
If it were approached without prior knowledge of the PR material or that it is endorsed by Madonna, Truth or Dare would undoubtedly be embraced for its originality, defiance of easy categorization, unisex potential, and unique, humorous bottle design that looks like nothing else currently in department stores except that wonderfully kitschy teal opaque Youth-Dew bottle. When was the last time I had this much FUN with a mainstream department store release? I love it to death.

flora lee
flora lee

Had high hopes for this one as a good tuberose/gardenia white floral IS my perfume holy grail. The gardenia top is nice, true to the flower, then it does veer toward sweet candy territory. A change in direction but it holds a sweet tuberose character, supported by a caramelized vanilla benzoin that is very much like the base of Guess Seductive, though for some reason this one felt more comfortable, and maybe not as sweet as the Guess. It's also unique that there is nothing fruity in Truth or Dare. If not a total white floral, it is a modern strong and sexy elixir.

aqua76239

I don't care about any celebrities but I was curious to see what this smelled like. I sampled it at Macy's yesterday. SA told me that it will launch in a few days but they had a tester and I was able to try it. I am not sure what I was expecting but I was pleasantly surprised.
First you get very lush gardenia and tuberose. Let me mention that I absolutely adore fresh gardenia and since I live in the tropics I smell it all the time. Truth or Dare definately recaptures the essence of the flower and then kicks it up a notch with some vanilla and amber. When I first smelled it, I immediately thought that this smelled like something local Polonesian women would wear and mentioned it to SA. She said"wait a while, it starts turning sweet like candy". She was right because after the scent mellowes out, it does smell more sweet and candy like. However, tuberose is still present in full force, and it totally dominates this scent.
I think the name is quite appropriate since this scent has an innocent side and more daring side, hence truth or dare. I can see some resemblance to Fracas but I would prefer Truth or Dare.
This is rather unusual and eclectic scent which fits Madonna's style perfectly. I don't think it will be loved by all since its definately not mainstream enough and not everyone would like a lush tuberose scent.
I see this is exotic, sexy and very lush and tropical-picture brozed women with flowers in their long black hair, wearing bright colored sarongs-this scent is what I would expect them to smell like

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

This is very nice jasmine but since I already own 3 other very nice jasmines, Fracas, Acqua Allegoria Jasminora and Songes, I dont need another, so while I like Truth or Dare, I wont be getting it.

krmarich
krmarich

This is my first celebrity fragrance I have sampled from anyone. Madonna enters the race a little late in the game. This should have came out 20 years ago with its namesake movie. Well, here it is, love it or hate it. My local Macys was giving out samples.

Looking at the ingredient list, I expected Fracas or Giorgio Beverly Hills. It is post 2000 tuberose. Every floral note is synthetic. They lack projection power. They are acceptable. The heart/base is where it becomes gourmand and yummy. This effect last about an hour, as the florals keep peeking through. Its soft, graceful and light. It acts like an EDC and requires frequent resprays.

The bottle looks like a holy water flask. Its somewhat absurd, really and totally Madonna. Coty must be using all synthetics today. For $68. a bottle, you are just paying for Madonna marketing. Flankers are inevitable. Soon the bottles will only contain water.

Coutureguru

AAARGH ... this is a Coty fragrance!!! It should be available EVERYWHERE ... it should be crawling out of the walls in Malls all over the planet!!! Instead, Ebay profiteers like authentictopbrands11 are charging a whopping $130.20 incl. postage for something that can be bought for $69.99 at Macy's. Nearly double!!! It's revolting. Where are the days of huge fragrance launches when willing casuals walked around stores handing out samples and merrily spraying everyone within arm's reach from a never ending supply of tester bottles? These days one is forced to endure 'legal racketeering' on Ebay. Sorry Madge ... as much as I love you and want to buy your frag I won't be ripped off for it. C'est la vie.

quin.reardon
quin.reardon

I think Madonna wanted this perfume to be something of a homage to her mother with some of herself mixed it she didn't need to create a perfume to stay in the spotlight or make money this I think was just something she decided to do after years of saying no to the idea.

Having not smelt it yet I cant comment on the smell. The bottle to me like others have noted conjures up images of like a prayer not truth or dare though, but I understand the white is for the white florals, its a shame she didn't do two fragrances and have this as Like a prayer and then a more statuesque bottle in deep purples with leather for truth or dare as thats the image from her career those words symbolise for me with a darker scent. But then does the bottle matter.

One thing I am disappointed by is so far theres no male or unisex version come on madonna the boys love you give us a fragrance too please

leboblue

If you love Fracas, you'll love this! I don't so I didn't. Could someone please tell me what is that note that is so prominent in both at the top/middle? Whatever that is I'd really like to know. There is an old men's fragrance Aramis (sp) that effects me the same way. : (

aschiffm
aschiffm

Oh wow, LOVE THIS. this is sultry with a bit of devilish skank, tuberose gardenia heaven! To like this fragrance you MUST be a fan of loud luscious heady tuberose and not afraid to smell a little "dirty"/naughty. It's intoxicating and narcotic. Def thick amber and sweet lily detected in background and musky throughout. I felt like a powerful seductive bad girl wearing this haha. This won't go unnoticed, I think it's a unique take on these type of florals, this tuberose is not for the tame, definite on the "dare" side of the spectrum and animalic babyyy

The dry down is beautifully unique vibrantly sensual carmalized amber and vanilla absolute. It's inky and kind of like vanilla extract, it's the perfect counterpart to the bright dark duality of the intoxicating white floral

nobodygirl
nobodygirl

Oh boy.... Where do I start with this one? Oh Madonna you have disappointed me so! There are so many perfumes out there that smell like and resemble this one. I first became familiar with the scent of gardenia, honeysuckle and tuberose when the Kate Spade fragrance first came out....ever since then it seems like mixologists have wanted to steal her notes.
Kate Spade, Kim Kardashian, Marc Jacobs, the original Coach fragrance... and *somewhat* a bit with the J'adore ...all have the same main flowery notes. At least J'adore dries into a creamy almost, jasmine like scent... Whereas the others leave with the sunny fragrances of the spring. I mainly smell honeysuckle, a touuuucchhh of jasmine, tuberose and the white gardenia.
This combo of flowers has become so familiar to me that it just isn't original anymore....I'm so disappointed MDNA. ....you at least coulda tried to make it a little bit sexier (maybe more appropriate for nighttime wear) like the "truth or dare" name it suggests. BOOOoOOoO!!!!!
:::::UPDATE::::::
Soooo.... I sorta kinda smell this "dry down" that the others are speaking of...however, for me it is not a vanilla-almond like lingering. It is more musky, dusty, and musty. That's the only way I can put it, Madge -- an old-lady name for an old-lady fragrance.
Doesn't stick well on my body and I suppose doesn't mesh with my chemistry in order to make this lovely, supposed sweet smell. .....on to the next one.....

lizzie81

I'm also eager to know if this will be released in Europe? i'm assuming it will. I am one of those madonna brats who grew up listening to her, my first ever album and all so as you can imagine i am very curious to see what the perfume will smell like!

Vamy69
Vamy69

I really love this. I used to avoid tuberose and white florals like the plague because they seemed harsh and loud to me and didn't sit right with my nose. This is not one of those harsh in your face white florals that clean out your sinuses, it is a nice mellow white floral with a really nice gentle vanilla carmelized amber dry down. I really would love to get a bottle of this!!!

jonr951

FINALLY! Haha. It's another white floral fragrance. But I've been loving me some white florals lately so it's perfection in my book. The dry down is DELICIOUS! The caramelized amber and vanilla make Truth or Dare a deliciously yummy comfort scent. It isn't as heavy as say, Kim Kardashian's. It stays close to the skin but it stays on forever! I love me a big white floral that isn't overpowering at all. Bravo MDNA! The blotters look like the bottle! I LOVE it! Haha. : )

4/11/12: Just got it! I finished my midterms and felt like treating myself. Haha. I LOVE it! I want the matching products SO bad! Starting w/ the shower gel. Yum! They have to make a cream, not just a lotion, for it. Here's hoping. : )

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

You're going to have to be a gardenia fan or a Fracas fan to really like this one. Just left Macy's and at first spritz it's a whole lot of Neroli and Gardenia but if you let it sit for a while it starts to dry down to a softer gardenia and Tuberose scent. This doesn't smell like anything I have since I Just got into Tuberose after an extreme hate of it so I purchased it. I hope the Caramelized Amber and Vanilla shine through after a bit because I can't smell it now but this is definitely a modern take on Fracas. At first sniff it IS fracas and Madonna seems to be in love with it. In one of her docus she's DOUSING herself in it. The bottle is nice in person. I'll test it for a few weeks to give the final verdict : )

::Update:: Ok, the drydown is so creamy and soft and sweet. Reminds me of a Jordan Almond! I hope the lotion skips the top notes and just goes straight for the DryDown!

::Body Lotion Update 3/27/12:: Ok, for those of you who do not like the top note Gardenia/Tuberose/Neroli/FRACAS smell than I would suggest the Body Lotion. While the body lotion is watery, it has more of the vanilla and caramelized amber scent to it that the fragrance has in the dry-down. I've been wearing this stuff since I got it and the lotion just came today! Bravo, Madonna, you old wench!

Whit

I got my Macy's order yesterday and couldn't wait to try it. First off, the opening composition is purely gardenia and tuberose and it's loud. So loud in fact, that I was thinking "Oh Lord, I might have to wash this off!" But I didn't, I stuck it out and the dry down is much more mellow. I smell mostly gardenia by that time with slight nuances of amber and tuberose with a little sweetness added in. I like it, but I don't know if it's for me. I love gardenia and tuberose, but I think this might have a little too much for me. However, I can't argue with the lasting power and it doesn't smell like anything else I own. I might give it another shot as it's probably one of those frags that has to "grow" on me; I have a few in my collection like that and they ended up being my favorites. Overall, it's a nice frag, but if gardenia and tuberose aren't your thing, you might want to steer clear. Hope this helps! :)

shoreshells
shoreshells

I tried this fragrance on my wrist today and then continued shopping. I couldn't stop smelling my wrist! I'm not crazy, crazy Madonna; although you can't deny that she's extreamly talented and appartently she is at creating fragrances also. Mind you I want it to be perfectly clear, I did NOT buy this because it's "Madonna" - I'm not a celebrity fragrance girl. But this perfume is enchanting, graceful, seductive, serene and sophisticated. I'm telling you; try it if you can, she doesn't "overdo" any of the notes; it lasts for hours in a more subdude state. I bet your going to like it, come on... truth or dare?

Whit

I like Madonna because she has really stood the test of time, and she is a brilliant artist. Like others, I have often wondered why she never created a perfume many years ago. I know people diss celebrities for coming out with frags, but really, if you had the money, wouldn't you do the same? I would love to create a fragrance! True, some celebrities do it to make more money, but some of them may actually be fragrance fans and they may want to put their imagination to work in other ways. I have no idea what this smells like, but I love tuberose and gardenia both because they are so feminine smelling. So, I did the unthinkable and pre-ordered this from Macy's. Impulsive, yes, but I don't care! If I don't end up liking it, then I'm sure my mom or sister would love it as a gift. :)

ansm
ansm

I smelled it today!!! I work in a fragrance department (for Coty) and had a training for new season fragrances. It is sheer gardenia and lily that you can smell. Very sweet and intoxicating. So not for me...and I love Madonna so much... the bottle is interesting...but it looks a bit monastic to me. Madonna should have been dressed as a nun in the commercial for it.

vigilante_squirrel
vigilante_squirrel

Well, this looks like it might be interesting!

I'm amazed Madonna didn't come out with a fragance (or two or 12 or 48 of them by now!) before this too. I love gardenia, hopefully it isn't overwhelmed by the tuberose or neroli! Will definitely be looking to sample this.

I really don't like the bottle -- I guess the aim was for a white bottle to symbolize the "white florals," with the studded cap and edges representing Madonna's naughty dominatrix side? With the Christian cross intersecting the initial M -- shouldn't this fragrance more precisely be called "Like a Prayer??" For a scent called "Truth or Dare" I think I'd have been pushing for a bottle in indigo or deep violet, something edgy and dramatic, with gold and ruby red highlights ... just my humble opinion!

FunkyTomo

So many people ticking "love " or "dislike" when nobody has tested it yet ! And couldn't agree more with Lil Mju 's comment " And how do you bring out the NOTES?! "....Exactly .... Silly people clicking on the NOTES they have NOT smelled yet !! Sigh .......

I will test this , the bottle is "Interesting" to say the least. I think it could actually look quite good on a Gothic backdrop. It reminds me of the "Repellant Water" from an Antique "Vampire Protection Kit"( that I once saw at an antiques market) . For me , that's a good thing. At least its not of the boring same old Pink bottles genre :)

The bottle now associates with "interesting /goth/quirky/holy water /vampire- kit " in my brain!!

outofocus

14 people love it or hate it, and still have not been able to sniff it?? I dont get it.

twillocks
twillocks

I totally agree with Lil Mju . . . you can't judge something you have not had the liberty of testing. I can't wait to try this. I will be like Karlee79 I will own a bottle whether I like it or not.

Lil Mju
Lil Mju

Hi everyone.. I'm sure lots of people are asking this question - Why do you judge the scent before it is actually released?! If you want to guess what it will smell like, write a review like everyone below. And how do you bring out the NOTES?! I mean, to tell them apart don't you actually have to SMELL the fragrance?! Look guys we do this not only for urselves but for other people as well!
I honestly don't care if this review isn't gonna recieve any baloons or will be deleted 5 mins later after I wrote this.
Well that's just my personal opinion about people pre-judging perfumes (and not only).

Helsinki

@glitteralex: Madonna is a master of the masses, remember? ;) Why have people casted votes on the notes if the frag is not out yet? :)

karlee79
karlee79

I feel the same as krayonkid, dont care how it smells, I WILL own this come hell or high water. If its by Mage, it has to be good ;)

krayonkid
krayonkid

I am beyond excited! I do not care what this smell like (although i certainly do not understand this gardenia craze of late), this is Madonna. I am getting this. I am a huge fan of her artistry and persona. I am hoping she releases something for the men aswell.

Truth or Dare by Madonna 3.13 out of 5 based on 1045 ratings and 380 user reviews

Eau De Parfum 1oz
TRUTH OR DARE BY MADONNA for WOMEN by Madonna EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ TESTER
TRUTH OR DARE BY MADONNA for WOMEN by Madonna EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ
TRUTH OR DARE BY MADONNA for WOMEN by Madonna EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ
EDP Mini 2.5oz
TRUTH OR DARE BY MADONNA for WOMEN by Madonna SET-EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ BODY LOTION 2.5 OZ SHOWER GEL 2.5 OZ EAU DE PARFUM ROLLERBALL .33 OZ MINI
Madonna Truth Or Dare Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Madonna Truth Or Dare Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Madonna Truth Or Dare Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz
Madonna Truth Or Dare Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz
Gift Set 2.5oz
Madonna Truth Or Dare Coffret Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz Body Lotion 75ml 2.5oz Shower Gel 75ml 2.5oz 3pcs
Truth Or Dare Perfume by Madonna, 2.5 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Truth Or Dare Perfume by Madonna, 2.5 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Madonna Truth or Dare fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Madonna Truth or Dare, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Truth or Dare by Madonna. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Truth or Dare by Madonna represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.