Designers » M » « Groups

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men
dislike

herbal
cinnamon
Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men Pictures Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men Pictures Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men Pictures Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men Pictures Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men Pictures

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme is created of spicy rose, patchouli and artemisia. The fragrance arrives as EDT, fragrant bracelet and box of 20 incense papers. Lumiere Noire Pour Homme was launched in 2009. The nose behind this fragrance is Francis Kurkdjian.

Patchouli Artemisia Rose Caraway Cinnamon

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

assim.hayderi
assim.hayderi

Starts off a little bit dirty and animalic on my skin but then it turns into a beautiful masculine scent with a touch of roses that lasts for many hours. A true masterpiece and a must have for perfume collectors.

Projection: 8/10

gedlive
gedlive

I am reveling in pleasure this morning, just chilling at home, wearing Lumiere Noire PH. My #1 fragrance by quite a margin !
My whole review just got erased, oh well...

A beautiful, exquisite, refined fragrance of contrasts.
A soft, slightly fruity rose, with perfectly blended patchouli and cinnamon, smooth, slightly sweet and soapy, but nothing jumps out, very well blended, potent quality essences used I'm sure.
Then you do get a lovely touch, of a slightly bitter green artemisia, and caraway seed. (not cummin)

PS, I'm trying to discover LN today, thinking on the meaning of a fragrance accord. I oversprayed today, and it wasn't bad, but it took 20 minutes to come into the harmony that is awe inspiring. The masterfull perfumer has come up with a masterpiece here, and the key is in the blending of 5 great notes. A harmonious achord is struck, thinking of music, as those 5 notes of light and dark, with not one note standing out alone, but a creation of one unique accord.
I havnt discovered it fully, but I'm learning , and that's the fun of it...
Ah, it is a rose fragrance at the heart, but an embelished rose. I love it when a fragrance has strong floral notes, but is still masculine, it's not easy, and this one does it.
Like Ginenchy Insense, another example of a masterpiece in the category of men's floral fragrances.

I have written 200 reviews and have a complete collection of my 50 or so top fragrances. Lumiere Noir Pour Homme is the crown jewel of my collection, awesome. Thank you Francis Kurkdjian.

God bless you. John 3:16

Foxysardar
Foxysardar

I wore this perfume back in 2013 and wore Lumiere Noire so often that i got weary of it and sold of my Decants to explore vast world of perfumes however back of my mind i was always missing it like you miss an old friend or long gone lover.

Lumiere Noiree is constructed with three main notes which are Rose , Patchouli and cinnamon and these notes are so well blended that all three play their part very well and rose playing hide and seek with you all throughout the journey . This perfume reminded me of Le labos rose 31 as Rose in that also played hide and seek with mostly being a background player to Spices though i feel this is much better blend then Rose 31 and reason for that is Francis Kurkdjian .

Rose is a note which i personally love however lot of Guys are hesitant to try this note as it can surmise as feminine however Lumiere Noire lies more in masculine category so it can be great frag to start your rose journey in case you find rose to be feminine . This frag is also very versatile as it can worn all throughout the year and projection is with in your hand distance or even less which to me is perfect for office wearing .

Why should you not like this fragrance ? I think this is little linear frag so possibility is their that you may get bored like i did the first time i tried however other then that i dont see much issue with this frag as it checks lot of boxes for me.

Final verdict : This is bottle worthy frag IMO for any rose lover and for non rose lover as i stated this is great frag to start your journey of exploring the rose note.I wished it was little more complex so critic in me is always thinking abot it composition but still a great frag .(8.5/10)

OneRedRose
OneRedRose

This scent, ladies and gentleman is a beautiful heavenly poem!!! A HEAVENLY POEM!!!! I bought this recently as a 1 ml sample from a fragrance shop on the net. I had learned about it through Fragrantica, reading through the posts. Upon trying it, I ended up buying a full bottle of Lumiere Noire. Out of all of the colognes I own and have collected over the years, this is my crown jewels!!! A classy man's rose, but so well blended that you almost don't notice it. It almost goes into unisex territory, but stays slightly more on the masculine side. A 007 type, suit and tie well dressed sharp man, ready to lady-kill romantic wear. The dry down is a heavenly poetic scent! I'm in love!!! :) Just GET IT! Best male rose out there!! Pure class all the way!

This scent, ladies and gentleman is a beautiful heavenly poem!!! A HEAVENLY POEM!!!! I bought this recently as a 1 ml sample from a fragrance shop on the net. I had learned about it though Fragrantica, reading through the posts. Upon trying it, I ended up buying a full bottle of Lumiere Noire. Out of all of the colognes I own and have collected over the years, this is my crown jewels!!! A classy man's rose, but so well blended that you almost don't notice it. It almost goes into unisex territory, but stays slightly more on the masculine side. A 007 type, suit and tie well dressed sharp man, ready to lady-kill romantic wear. The dry down is a heavenly poetic scent! I'm in love!!! :) Just GET IT! Best male rose out there!! Pure class all the way!

bailão
bailão

To my nose, it's a splendid rose/pachoulli pretty well blended fragrance, that has a TERRIFIC drydown! Seriously, guys, besides the fact that has a HUGE projection and monster longevity. If you're looking for a rose-confident-male fragrance, I dare you to get to know this gem! Also got me a lot of compliments! My only advice is that, if you're a shy dude, this one it won't fit you. You gotta be pretty self-confident and spontaneous-type of guy. Best rose based fragrance in the game! Pretty amazing stuff!

ilsagold
ilsagold

When I first tested it (end of 2012) on my skin I remember it a bit spicier (caraway and cinnamon) then the bottle I purchased this year. A male friend of mine gave a negative comment for that, on that day.

Anyway after three years I bought a bottle of this. I don't think performance has changed. 3 hours of sillage and 7 hours of projection (mostly to myself though), then and now. But the formula seem to have changed. But in a good way! This is now much smoother, more refined and round.

I try not to get tired of it so I avoid using it on casual spring/summer days but more on romantic occasions while wearing a white shirt.

Beyonder
Beyonder

One of the most masculine and beautiful rose ever made.

eren.ceylan
eren.ceylan

Amazing scent! It's well blended love-rose and patchouli-masculinity... Just wearing romantic time... First scent in my top 10.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - rose, patchouli & cinnamon.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I did get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 24hrs consistently.

Little Prince
Little Prince

Lumiere Noire pour Homme is the most celebrated fragrance of the Maison Francis Kurkdjian, a maison however which doesn't accommodate the talented perfumer's best creations (a trend common to many perfumers's own houses and a proof that master skills alone don't produce the greatest of perfumes).

The fragrance is as implied a luminous woody rose contrasted by a dusky, earthy somehow chypre oriented backdrop. The top is greener by a dash of mugwort with its bitter herbal character. Things mellow down quickly with the appearance of a light breezy rose note removed of its usually annoying heady element infused with some cinnamon and cumin. Midway through the scent passes a slightly "pinkish" in notion powdery oriental territory before reaching the drydown. There Kurkdjian rehashes a variation on a familiar resort that is a warm and comforting musk-patchouli accord.

Lumiere Noire is a crisp composition, painted in chiaroscuro. The individual notes blend in ways the wearer might not have even hoped for creating an interplay between light and shade, between buoyancy and reclusiveness which in turn creates the dramatic effect. Kurkdjian manipulates notes and accords for the simple joy of being good at it. And why shouldn’t he do it? Has a perfume have to always have a meaning or take itself so seriously? This is a fragrance made by a man who knew how something felt, and found a way to evoke it in us.

Kurkdjian is a perfumer reveling in sweet floral accords with an oriental powdery edge. Lumiere Noire is according to him an essay on contrasts. Although there is nothing particularly new in this exercise of superb style and craftsmanship and it doesn't advance the accords that Kurkdjian usually manipulates to great level one can't simply avoid to be carried away by Lumiere's handsome ambiguity. It is a perfume with an alluring radiance whose smell remains fleetingly in memory as a very inviting and romantic tune.

A beautiful perfume with a touch of darkness.

[email protected]
adhiraj_chaki@yahoo.co.in

A Rose playing Hide n Seek!!!

Is it a Rose Perfume? …………. Yes!!
Is the Rose the Main Note? ………….. No!!

The Rose is the Most Mysterious Note of Lumiere Noire. It shows up it’s presence Every 10 Minutes and veils it up completely for the other 10 Minutes.

LN starts with something dirty (animalic ?), soapy spicy note. Patchouli and Cumin. After 10 minutes, suddenly a cinnamon infused Rose starts showing up. This is the most favorite part of the perfume for me. The Rose is never too deep like those velvety Red Roses not light like Freshly bloomed Morning Roses. It falls something in between and quite a pleaser. If I have to Characterize the Rose of Lumiere Noire, I would add it to be as the Most dry Rose kind of smell. Almost Powdery.

The Name Justification: Really, I could not have find a better name for this perfume. I can showcase 2 reasons:

1) The perfume has 2 sides. The Dirty side and the clean Dry Rose side. Take one as “The Light” and the other as “Dark”
2) It falls absolutely in the correct spectrum between “Dark and Heavy” Perfumes and “Light and Airy” Ones, giving both a Light and Dark flavor.

The entire composition is Highly Complex and Applaud Worthy.

Personally, I love the Rose side more and is little bit sensitive to the dirty-soapy-spicy side.

Sillage: Moderate
Longevity on My Skin: Approx 7 Hours
Longevity on Fabric: Approx 8 Hours
Occasion: Quite Versatile. I prefer it in Work. Very inoffensive. You may wear it on a Casual Spring Day also. It definitely works better on heat than cold Days. Personally wouldn’t wear it on a Date.
Rating: ( 7.5+.5)=8/10 (+.5 more for the Remarkable Rose Composition)

yidansheng
yidansheng

Man Rose! Masculine Rose! This is so touching my heart and soft spot. A soft, gentle bouquet of delicate rose, and a soft, warm gentleman suited with flannel, wearing a handkerchief, old-school style. Rosy lips and elegant tone, chestnut hair and grey-green eyes. Oh, my lord, what a gorgeous man!

csaito
csaito

One of the best rose + patchouli combo on the market. For me this fragrance is all about romance. I feel like it creates an light red aura of romantic love, making me feel more confident and in a certain way more beautiful and sexy. If you like rose, it´s a must have. Women often give compliments when i use.

4/5 stars

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

This parfum is really beautiful and charming! Ethereal,sophisticated and delicate! This is not heavy, but is enveloping. I really like, the notes come together in perfect harmony with each other,they are intertwined. I like how the rose is always present, delicate and refined. Scent of a high level once again Francis Kurkdjian has not disappointed me. Poetic.

Sillage: 6.5/10

Overall: 9/10

zaboot1972
zaboot1972

ah rose sweet and beautiful scent .
thanks to a friend of mine who gave me a few but beautiful samples all from MFK and Lumiere Noire Pour Homme was one of them this is the first perfume thet you can use any time of the year but not for work light delicious on the nose very decent longevity and good sillage this one hopefuly will be in my collection .

happy sniffing

banorgue
banorgue

A HUGE amount of caraway and a toned down dry rose.

jhitt793

The composition opens with a spiced rose accord. There is a prominent jammy rose present which smells as if its petals have been dusted with the arid spices of cumin and cinnamon. It is fairly dry in tone, like an old piece of parchment uncovered after years in hiding. Artemisia (mugwort) adds an additional layer of depth to this beautiful fragrance. It carries a dusty, herbal odor which is also dry and medicinal, with facets of anise and licorice. Here I felt that it aided in imbuing the fragrance with a vintage vibe. Aromatic patchouli closes the arrangement in a musky, earthiness with the sweet hint of rose still perceptible even far into the dry down.

This scent reminded me of being in an old theater with red velvet seating, the fabric of which has taken on a life of its own through years of accumulating various perfumes and colognes worn by its patrons. It is multi-layered with a depth and antique feeling, making it quite unlike any fragrance I have encountered before. 'Lumière Noire pour homme' is clearly a masculine fragrance, and those men who fear the fragrance leaning too far feminine due to its rose central focus can rest assured. The perfumer has composed the architecture to remain masculine in tone. Sillage and longevity are average but perfect, with the scent resting fairly closely to the skin upon drying down. I feel the fragrance is best suited for warm, cozy evenings in autumn and winter. Its casual elegance will capture the hearts of those closest too you. Yet another strong offering from the amazing Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Read my complete review at my personal blog
Fragranceemergency.blogspot.com

landshark321
landshark321

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme is first I've tried of Maison Francis Kurkdjian and it definitely does not disappoint. It does more to intrigue me than it does to thrill me but sometimes that can be a very good thing. At the core of the fragrance is a very hearty rose (it smells like a few different types of roses, in fact) and pretty much all of the other notes take a back seat to it. In fact, I might detect a little bit of the cinnamon but hardly anything non-rose at all.

LNPH comes off as a semi-fresh rose that is slightly sweet and slightly dark but not remotely a gourmand. It comes off as natural and with a lot of depth---each smell reveals a lot. Despite the spicy and earthy note list, it doesn't come off very much as either.

As some other reviewers have pointed out, LNPH comes off wholly unisex, not being specifically masculine or feminine in any particular respect. I enjoy it on my skin but it could work just as well on women's. It's also versatile with respect to use, though it probably leans formal rather than casual, and definitely it works for both cold and warm weather scenarios.

Great on projection and longevity for an EDT, this is certainly a promising introduction to the line as far as value, as well as the abovementioned craftsmanship.

I'm not sure I'd opt for a bottle of this because there are other roses that I prefer, and that work a little bit better on my skin as a man, but I'm certainly intrigued and will come back to this. A deep and fascinating composition.

7 out of 10

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME

No beating around the bush. If you don't like rose based fragrances - don't bother. However, if you are on the fence, and think you might possibly enjoy a rose handled in a more masculine, subtle, elegant way - you've come to the right spot.

This sophisticated rose offering by MFK is a nice addition to the other beautifully prepared men's and unisex fragrances.

Good longevity. Perfect amount of projection.

Finally, a man's rose.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

After testing LN Pour Homme for a few days, I could instantly see the intended juxtaposition of light(Lumière) and darkness(Noire). It starts with a very present spice combo, my favorite part, of cinnamon and cumin that constitute the dark side in this fragrance. Soon this phase of moody gloominess gives way to the rose/patchouli pair, leaving an impression of a soft, clean body lotion kissing the skin. The dry down certainly reminds me of Mr.Kurkdjian's another creation Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and the scent gets quite feminine toward the end of its life.

iman_hamishe_payiz
iman_hamishe_payiz

Declaration d'un Soir's Alter Ego

Declaration d'un Soire is loud and semi-dirty.
Lumiere Noire is subdued.and semi-clean.

has that Kurkdjian's signature background smell breathing beneath the rosewater

The odor that it has can be considered as almost nondescript here in Iran/Persia, it's close to our traditional scent which is popular among religious people.

but universally speaking, If you are in love with rose, gender lines aren't important for you,and you can afford it, do not miss it, coz it's art of perfumery at its top with peculiar nuances.

zaetown
zaetown

Im loving this fragrance. Strange thing is that I never expected to like it judging by the name and the notes.

I decided to give it a full test wearing to get a glimpse of the drydown and I love it. Why? Because it doesn't have the typical rose note that stands out by itself, but instead it dances with the patchouli and carawaywithin rest of the supporting cast. Not heavy at all and envading the space of others but it dances around you within your bubble and drifts away from time to time so that those around you can pat their feet to its rythm.

Masculine but can definitely be worn by a lady with the right personality. Best suited for spring and autumn months. Does okay in the summer as well and wont be too cloying.

This is kinda spicy and bright in the opening to me but dries down smoothly and impressive.

7.3/10

acidnbase
acidnbase

Master perfumer Francis Kurkdjian is no doubt one of the best in his field.. He has created great fragrances which showcase his unique talent of blending notes.. One of his masterpieces, Lumière Noire Pour Homme, is really a perfect mix of rose, patchouli and spices.. It's not overpowering but rather captivating, sensual and just lovely!

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ "Lovely" isn't a description you typically start a Man's fragrance review with but that fits perfectly with Lumiere Noire! After recently revisiting this MFK I must say I will never be without it again. The rose and patchouli come together in a perfect marriage of notes. This is so soft and sensual it could easily be described as unisex much like Coromandel in reverse. The light sexy rose just flirts with your nose and draws it down to your wrist at will like a fine glass of wine your testing for the very first time. And when the light dusty cinnamon comes into play the notes all blend to evoke a feeling of warmth and romance. This lovely will never leave my top shelf again that is exactly where this masterpiece belongs. ~
Kind Regards, Plat ~

Macassar
Macassar

i don't see anything extraordinary in this perfume : a combo rose+ patchouli ...well, well , well ...Aramis did it much, much , much better . Years ago .
This perfume , for me , is a shy rose which would like to be bold but stays as it is : ordinary .
Sorry for the lovers , i prefer my "masculine roses" to be more extravagant , less quiet
Not a thumb down , just nothing particular

matty64
matty64

I would have sworn I'd already reviewed this magnificent creation once before. This is my second MFK favorite, just behind OUD by MFK. But, I love them both!

KouKanamiya
KouKanamiya

I must be the only one who struggles to detect the rose note in this fragrance. If I haven't read the notes in advance, I wouldn't have been able to tell that there's rose in the notes at all. For some odd reason, on my skin, it starts out with a mix of citrus and cinnamon, and then quickly turns into what smells like saffron (which is strange because that isn't one of the notes), an hour in, I can smell a very very light tinge of rose but its scent is salty. Now, if I negate the fact that there's rose note in this fragrance (thereby not expecting the rose to be there at all) and let it slide that I can't smell the rose, the fragrance itself is actually quite complex and interesting. With that being said, I was hoping for something that is a unisex rose, but instead what I got is mainly saffron with a hint of spice.

Edit to add: Third try is the charm, it seems. This scent works best in warmer weather, at 80F I can definitely detect the notes better. I still get the saffron scent for some reason, but it's no longer salty. What I get instead is a very complementary and well-rounded scent of rose (but without the floral scent or green notes - which takes some getting used to but it's quite pleasant) along with that of leathery saffron (even though I know there is no saffron). It's a rather sophisticated scent, cozy, well-rounded, conservative but unique.

houstcs
houstcs

Okay, I was really hoping to be blown away by this, and I was wrong really. I see little difference between this and Demeter Elvira Black Roses. Don't doubt it if you haven't had it. The ONLY difference is in the quality. Black Roses has a small distant cheap smell, whereas Lumiere Noir has the superb quality. Realistically, if I sprayed them both on I would not know which one was more expensive. Maybe I have been tainted by a recent forum about this being the best fragrance out there (two days after I purchased this) and expected too much.

Smell 8/10
Longevity 8 hours so far
Projection 5/10
Sillage (not sure no one has commented and if I run in circles to check I am not certain if I am smelling myself or my trail) Not sure how people truly judge this for themselves...

NeoXerxes
NeoXerxes

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme demonstrates the genius of Francis Kurkdjian. After smelling the cheap abomination that is Le Male, I prematurely placed blame on the nose (Kurkdjian) rather than the house (Gaultier). How wrong I was.

Gentlemen, do you like roses? Not garden roses, pink roses, or the roses that you would buy in the flower shop, but the idea of roses?

In Western culture, rose is a representation of love and attraction. Not sex, not immediate seduction, but love in all its tenderness and doe-eyed elegance. This feeling is precisely what Francis Kurkdjian has managed to capture with his masculine rose, and it is indeed glorious.

Lumiere Noire opens with an invitation, aromatic, fresh, and clean - rose underpinned by the green herbaceous quality of artemisia and light patchouli. As it dries down, the rose and herbs soften, falling into the background, as a background of spice (cinnamon, caraway, and a hint of clean cumin seed) rises to the surface. This is a representation of the process of love - the invitation (the offering of a token of love, the rose), followed by acceptance (the scent of warm spice on the skin).

One of my favorite YouTube and Fragrantica reviewers, mrzayas81/Estebanz, likes to describe romantic fragrances as follows: "Like falling in love for the very first time". Nothing describes Lumiere Noire better. This is a fragrance that will inspire poets.

In terms of performance, Lumiere Noire provides a subtle yet noticeable aura. Projection is moderate for the first couple of hours, with moderate to low sillage (depending on one's skin). All of this seems to be by design. For romantic settings, such intimate performance is perfect.

Wear Lumiere Noire around someone for whom you care deeply. Pair with a polished look, lively conversation, and your most tender embrace.

Smell: 10/10
Longevity: 6-8 hours
Projection: 1-2 hours
Sillage: Low to moderate
Compliment Factor: High

If Lumiere Noire were a song, it would be "Il Libro Dell 'Amore" by 2Cellos (feat. Zucchero).

Littlegrassstraw
Littlegrassstraw

A sour boozy rose and aromatic concoction. I feel it is not entirely fair for me to review this rose because I seem not to be a fan of musky rose perfume. However I can tell it is a well made perfume with beautifully blended notes with the rose hovering over a soft floor of patchouli leaves and bound together by warming and fresh aromatic/spicy notes (and perhaps a touch of narcissus?) so it is both coherent and moving. Its mood is: mature. I suppose it is the artemisia that gives me a distinct visualisation of some unknown alcoholic drink reserved for distinguished gentlemen and beautifully aged ladies arriving in dark evening gowns and heavy makeup. Slowly, seriously and very elegantly they sip their drinks and a few of the men light a cigar.
A rose to set you apart in terms of maturity and elegance.

The drydown is a very long lasting musky rose. Projection is moderate but progresses.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Lumière Noire pour Homme is absolutely sophisticated and elegant. It is a gentle rose with a hint of patchouli and spices. It is very lyrical, poetic and just gets better as the day progresses. It lasts a very long time on me. I cannot stop smelling myself.

Buysblind
Buysblind

From my understanding, this has been reformulated. In that case it's no wonder I was disappointed when I recently purchased a bottle of Lumiere Noire. The opening accord used to be one of the best around. It was bright and ethereal...a beautiful watery rose with elements of white light and natural greenery. But I didn't buy a bottle because I found the mid and base too feminine. A few years later, I thought, "Why not?" and ordered a bottle online. But when I sprayed it, that beautiful opening was nowhere in sight. It's still a nice beginning, but it's nothing like it was, and what was once the best part of this fragrance is now a shell of its former self. It's flatter and seems to have lost some of it's "lumiere." Too bad, because the most recent formulation is actually a bit darker and more masculine in the middle, the cinnamon/patchouli/cumin notes on equal par with the rose. Thumbs up because this is still a nice fragrance, and I like how it's more masculine in the heart, but it's too bad they messed around with the opening.

Guest_thiefofnoses
Guest_thiefofnoses

A nice, very subtle rose with a touch of wormwood and a little bit of cinnamon. It smells lovely and is simple in its composition - which is a hard thing to do - but I was ultimately left feeling underwhelmed by Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. It's the sort of rose a gentleman might wear, reserved and not entirely challenging.

perfectionist
perfectionist

Okay this is a very good fragrance. Smells really smooth and elegant. I get patchouli, rose, cinnamon, and like a marshmallow smell to it. Very good definitely in my top 5 fragrances of all time. 11/10.

Brenao
Brenao

A good frag, but I'm not convinced to buy yet. Beatiful rose plus a nice patch, sweet and soft, but unwerable at the same time. I think a bottle would be stuck in my wardrobe, I'd like 0.5 oz bottles of this. Cold weather only.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

I think Kurkdjian is a much talented nose who does not want (or need, or has the chance) to use all his talent. His scents (well, some of) smell great, but not as great as they could if they were just, say, more "free" to express their potential. Lumière Noire is a perfect example of this in my opinion. The opening is great, a complex but splendid blend of rose, citrus notes (bergamot or neroli, I guess), dark woods, spices (cinnamon, cloves, saffron, cumin?), vanilla, an earthy-green crunchy note of patchouli and a dusty feel of tobacco leaves. Fresh and dark, dense and sticky, with a small but dense animalic heart crawling underneath. Also much powerful, with an incredible balance. It's all great, but at the same time, also much restrained and controlled: no roughness, no flaws, no imperfections, all is perfect and ready to be obediently worn by almost anyone. The animalic note is there, but the animal is trained and on a leash. Sensual, elegant and dark enough to be distinctive, yet clean and refined to be safe and wearable. In a word: censored. I think an "uncensored" version of this would smell just awesome. For the moment it's only a "very good".

7,5/10

vserdar
vserdar

Rose is a difficult smell on man like oud.This one is a well balanced and highly classy rose smell.One comment about cinnamon is that , if it would be less maybe we would not detect the incense effect through the end of the smell.

CDGfan

This has been reformulated for SURE.
The bottle I smelt in 2011, had a very strong patchouli and rose note which stayed through out.
The 2014 bottles I tested out at Nieman's is very subtle and watered down. A shadow of its former self.
Avoid!

9/10 for the 2011 version
6/10 for the version in stores currently.

Jridgen
Jridgen

It took me awhile to find a masculine rose that I really enjoy, but here it is: Lumiere Noire Pour Homme.

Most rose fragrances wear too powdery and feminine for my taste (Lyric Man, Baie Rose 26). The ones that are masculine enough (Rose 31) are simply boring and lacking in the Rose intensity; not the mention the hoard of Rose-Aoud combos which are tiresome.

Lumiere Noire manages to have a prominent Rose note, but together with the Patchouli and cinnamin, comes across as completely unisex if not leaning masculine. The spiciness in this one is significantly more biting and entertaining than that in Rose 31. The "biting" top does calm down after awhile and the fragrance continues to improve throughout its scentlife.

Performance is off the charts, both with projection and longevity.

The floral genre will never be my favorite but this one stands out as an exception.

saul charbaji
saul charbaji

This is the best of the line , a very nice well balanced rose . I love !

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The following review is really for my notes only, its very brief and leaves out a ton of details. Im just typing something that I remember each by. Im sure I will disrespect someones favorite fragrance too.

High grade, high quality rose cologne.

CDGfan

This has been reformulated for SURE.
Avoid!

drakecito
drakecito

Too subtle for my taste.
A good rose-spice frag. I like the light eucalyptus vive (the note more interesant in this, blended with the rose).
Well made but a bit booring and discreet.
To my nose is a masculine smel, made with good materials but nothing more.

Longevity is good (around 6-8 hours). Sillage is close to the skin.

Too overpriced but I have to admit that if it cost less money, I would use it more often.

Smell 7/10
Sillage: 4/10

Update:
I have tested only the new bottle (2014) version.

happyscent
happyscent

Francis Kurkdjian lumiere noire pour homme: The top notes smells of roses but something that has withered; if you are familiar with flowers you forgot to change the water for a week and the flower is slowly decaying - it is that scent. After two hours, roses and musk on my skin mixed - very manly and woody almost rhum like smell. I think this is for an older gentleman not for a person in his 20's haha

Layton S
Layton S

This fragrance is a wee bit strong at first which is probably why I didn't like it at first. But it also has excellent longevity. Lumiere noire pour homme is not feminine at all, it's a fresh manly scent, unique, mature but not "old guy". After wearing this it is by far one of my absolute favourites. I absolutely love it and even my wife who doesn't care about fragrances complemented it.

xonta
xonta

It should be an unisex perfume. I couldn't find exact muscularity at that scent. On the other hand, I smelt magnificent roses but it's feminine.

Longv. 8.5/10
Sillage 7.25/10
Scent 7.75/10

Overall 8.25/10

Estebanz
Estebanz

Lumiere Noire:I can only describe this fragrance as a Masterpiece of Stylish Modern Perfumery,I Picture a European Male Model dressed all White ridding in a Black Aston Martin on its way to meet up a beautiful woman for a Romantic Dinner surrounded by Candles and Roses,Love how the notes in here blend together masterfully,the Rose here feels Alive,so real by the use of Artemisia which gives of a green fresh herbal feeling to the rose to make it smell Natural,and the patchouli also play a significant role here adding an earthy and slightly dirty touch to the Clean Rose Aroma,there is also cumin listed on the note breakdown but I really dont get much of it if any,I dont know the secret recipe that Mr Kurkdjian used here,but the final product speaks Romance and Class to me.
This fragrance was made to Impress.
Lasting power is Superb.
Projection is heavy,not beast,but is very aromatic,so that the trail stays in the air as you pass by.
#Masterpiece#.

Ollive
Ollive

... I blind bought this perfume from MFK site. According written and video-reviews supposed to be interesting.
And IT IS. Lumiere Noire is very unique perfume. Having bottle 24 hours and liking it more and more...
Beautifly painted rose with sweet earthy patchouli,artemisia, sharp caraway and sparkling warm cinnamon. I would say, that notes are microscopically balanced !
It reminding me atmosphere of DK Chaos, love that smell.Never liked rose in perfume before, but now is different. Very good composition!Not for everybody, but Very well done!

kazewayz
kazewayz

A beauty. This fragrance is all about the dry down. I remember one day wearing this and my friend said "you smell like an old lady", lol. It is true that the rose in it can come off as feminine but when the dry down comes with it's spicy powder one is in for a treat.

So I asked for some samples of any of the MFK fragrances today and I received this as one of them...I was quite happy as I've reserved my judgement on many of them as I need to sample properly on my skin.
When I read the accompanying card had you been there you'd have seen my slightly pained expression and my disappointment would've been palpable.
Rose & patchouli? Really?
Not that I dislike either note but having no prior knowledge I'd kinda hoped for something different.
Well...to my dismay I absolutely love lumiere noire!!!
At last a male rose scent that is better than Cartier or serge Lutens to give two examples and you know why? Because this isn't all that rosy!!!
A very gentle composition that has a magnificent opening for me, the rose is used perfectly the patchouli is minimal but evident straight away and gives an almost chocolate quality which works so well with the rose. I genuinely don't like Rose based fragrances (unless very very dark) for men as a rule but the rose in this is so subtle and refined it's totally acceptable to my nose.
Lightly spiced, and with a very vague almost bitter, animal quality to it...everything about this says quality, balance and harmony this is not just another bad rose scent for men this one is very very good and I would probably wear it as could most women.
The problem here is the price...unless I was crying out for a very lightweight rose scent in my collection(which I'm not) I just wouldn't bother.

Ambience
Ambience

I received a sample of this with an online order. It's a very soft, dusty scent, with a gentle rose as the dominant note. Females could pull this off well!
I can also see similarities to YSL's Opium! Just a very diluted version!

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

*****Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Lumiere Noire pour Homme

After some tests and revisiting once again this perfume (a friend of mine sent me a sample, so i could visit this one many times), here is my current opinion...

The opening brings a spicy aromatic feeling, a little bit "watery"; freshness and coolness inside a bottle!

I feel a swetish patchouli too, not strong but also present.
Very very light patchouli, just a bit.

But what prevails even is a bitter soft rose, herbal and mentholated.

: D
Very good indeed

* Let me think about getting a bottle or not...hahaha!

jhitt793

One of the better 'masculine' rose scents. I much prefer this over the soapy/floral rose offering "Lyric pour homme" by Amouage. Opens with what I would deem a spicy rose quality (cinnamon and cumin), but mellows out to a more earthiness accord (patchouli and mugwort). Not one my favorites from Kurkdjian, but I can appreciate its place within the MFK collection. (22)

nero77
nero77

A perfect play between Dark and Light...

Starts out with a clean, soapy, delicate rose, then descends into earthy fougère territory (courtesy of the dark patchouli accord). Like something which can be savage and delicate at the same time. A rose fougère if ever there was one!

Incredibly nice, and proof that Francis Kurkdjian is an incredibly talented man!

Simple, delicate and brilliant.

xliMilx
xliMilx

wow at this perfume, very unisex, very soft, an art of work, mostly smell of rose, a confident man wont mind wareing this perfume, only those men who are men enough to not mind ware something softly gentle.

ArchieCaoli
ArchieCaoli

This started with a dizzying blast of patchouli. The patchouli that reminds me of Coco Mademoiselle. It's not the tapered or altered kind of patchouli. Quite off-putting to my taste. But as it gets to the middle, the patchouli melds with rose, cinnamon, and davana. At this phase, nothing really stands out, which is good as I start to appreciate it. A blend of all goodness. The dry-down is simply cumin which is really reminiscent of body odor. This made me laugh, in a good way. Then I compared this note with Amouage Opus IV's dry-down. Very different cumin note. Probably the cumin in Opus IV is actually caraway since it smells more airy. Beautiful fragrance but you need to get past the screaming patchouli.

Roflecones
Roflecones

Very elegant in its simplicity, this is a rose so rich and well mannered that it requires no adornment. It's a perfect pillar to the bon vivant life. If you know or encounter someone wearing this, you're in very good company.

This doesn't suit me. It's too upper class and all.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

Couldn't help but love MFKLNPH more every time after wearing it. Although I wish its longevity can be better, I would not mind to live with this little flaw because of its extreme beauty. If it would come in a higher concentration in the future, I would most definitely get a bottle even for a 30%+ higher price.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

I admire perfumes created by Francis Kurkdjian - they are simple (in a very positive way, not "ordinary"), masterfully blended. Lumiere Noire is a magnificent mix of rose and spices. Rose is neither sweet nor feminine like in most rose scents but it is also green and spicy. Very sexy and elegant.

chweintr
chweintr

Takes me to a different era -- makes me think of Victorian parlors, old maps, monocles.

This is a smart rose... Other rose fragrances are more predictable, powdery and bright. The artemisia in this adds a strong bitter herbal note that complicates things and makes this rose tea-like.

I am not a fan of rose scents but as roses go, I put this one at the very top.

Potgut
Potgut

I ordered samples of this from the official MFK house website. (note, the sample bottles was marked 'EDP Pour Homme' even though there is no "EDP" Pour Homme version to be known to exist in the market. I believe the "EDP" print was just a mistake with the actual EDT juice inside of it. I point this out because could also explain my experience)

Anyway, fantastic scent. Longivity was an easy 8+ hours every time I wore it with a decent projection the whole way. I loved it and pulled the trigger and ordered a bottle from Neiman Marcus.

The juice I got from Neiman Marcus was complete garbage. After many wearings of this I got from Neiman Marcus, every single time the longivity was never more than 2-3 hours and the projection was close to the skin a little after 1 hour. I even still had my samples to try side-by-side and confirm all of this, and each time the LNPH juice from my samples were far superior. So I returned the bottle to Neiman Marcus.

I don't know why this happened, maybe I got a bad patch, or the sample patches I got from MFK were accidental awesome patches, I don't know.

I'm considering ordering a full bottle again but from the official MFK website this time but probably won't because I don't want to have to deal with the hassel of international returns incase I get the same experience with what I got with the bottle from Neiman Marcus.

CDGfan

Lumiere is very reminiscent of Narciso Rodriguez's Musc , but this one is for men and much better. It has this incredibly sexy boozy rose note , which is just intoxicating. A very romantic fragrance , one which evokes emotions of being in love. The patchouli grounds the rose and gives it an animalic masculine feel. A gem in the world of perfumery!

dollars&scents
dollars&scents

Lumiere Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - One is initially treated to a debonair rose; the mildly sweet fragrance of which is somewhat stunted by the infused anise and nuttiness from the accompanying cumin. This exotic opening flows effortlessly to the heart, where a warm and toothsome cinnamon as well as an earthy and slightly dark patchouli nicely dust the rose with their inviting accessions. Arriving at its waiting base, a bitter and faintly disinfecting artemsia showers the rose, and specks of agreeable narcissus flitter about as its meanders to its enjoyable drydown. A prized gem in one's repertoire, this gorgeous composition, with its fresh and spicy overtures and concomitant sensuousness, has average projection and very good longevity.

Gelladon
Gelladon

This scent is a constant reminder of why I love fragrance. The Rose in this fragrance is showcased in such an elegant way. I also eventually get some cinnamon and then patchouli in the dry down. This is such a beautiful scent and it is very unisex. My only knock on Lumiere Noire is that it lacks complexity and depth. I wish the spices played a more dominate role which would have added more masculinity. Other than that it's a one of a kind work of art for formal settings.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

Initially I was not wowed by this but the more I wear it the more I appreciate its hidden intricacy. At first it comes as a simple composition, not very contrasted, not overly sexy or provocative, certainly not cutting edge. It is hard to see the "noir" in it. It has an urban, streamlined vibe going for it that might seem vaguely familiar -like a theme that has been in the DNA of many masculine colognes.
It is in the details that one finds god and also the details set this miles appart from those that share its DNA. Although the floral note is rose it really projects more like an orange blossom. It is not flamboyant and carnal as the flower is but instead feels silky white and with a hazy luminescence. The green notes listed here don't stand out in particular. Overall the composition seems unified so well and evolution is extremely smooth on skin without any gaps. At some point it feels fairly ambery (although the note is not listed).
A technically immaculate perfume that is never harsh or cloying. Its sexiness is not animalic or heavy, but rather lies in its smoothness and effortless elegance. I would describe it as urban-romantic.

It goes without saying that longevity is very good and projection "just right" - hey! I said "technically immaculate" didn't I?

Pegasus
Pegasus

Lumiere Noire is a gorgeous, sexy and classy fragrance. An interesting Rose/Patchouli/Cinnamon blend that comes off quite masculine with a very pleasant vibe. Kurkdjian has done a fabulous job with this one. Simply one of the best Rose scents out there, elegance in a bottle.

Dsanz
Dsanz

Lumiere Noire is in all aspects a masterpiece. I am in no way a fan of rose ( I detest Rose 31 and other rose scents often praised here) but Francis Kurkdjian blended this juice so smoothly with other masculine notes that the result is just a sexy beast. When I wear this fragrance (strictly on nights outs) I've had women come to me from several feet away asking what is it (how's that for projection). Also, I do see what some people say about it being "soapy". Yes, it smells light and clean but this helps the scent from getting cloying. One other thing that I've realized with Lumiere Noire is that it smells substantially different from a distance than on your skin. If you don't believe me just let one of your friends wear it and you'll be smelling something totally lighter and alluring; then you will know why this fragrance is so well complimented.

AJ73
AJ73

Hmm.. I don't know.. perhaps I finally should admit that I don't like rose :-?

..months later.. It's true, I don't like rose and after trying some other fragrances from Francis Kurkdjian I can't see what all the fuss is about. I find average parfums in ugly bottles.

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Unique, Beautiful and Timeless - captures a rose in its multitude of phases..

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Poetry in a bottle.
Nuff Said.
Black Light.
I get pictures of a spring night atop the Eiffel Tower.
As a gentle breeze carries the essence of the city lights towards me, as I look over the railing, I feel the darkness of the sky try to mingle with us. We accept. She smiles.
We share drinks.
We share laughs.
I give her roses.
She wears a spicy floral perfume.
Atop the Eiffel tower, light and dark make love amidst a rose garden with the spices of markets and incense envelope this union.
The result is intrigue. There is nothing out there like this. To me, the finest rose on the market. To me, one of the sexiest scents to ever grace the fragrance world. To me, this scent demonstrates the art of allure. Some get a soapy vibe and the initial spray may do that. Let it breathe. Let it settle. Let it find that very spot on your skin or shirt to grow. Because the results are mesmerizing.
A spicy rose with intermittent hints of sweetness that deliver a breath of fresh air to your lungs, but simultaneously enhance your senses to nature, love, and mystery.
Francis Kurkdjian is a f***ing genius.
Spice and Rose going at it like this? This is the kind of porn you don't download...you walk your ass to a corner street in NYC and you buy this shit.
Simple.

Guest_Valleboi_a1a
Guest_Valleboi_a1a

i agree with the others users this fragrance is unique

Carestinus
Carestinus

I'm sorry not to share everyone else's enthusiasm and love for this. I wish I did.

I bought this out of reviews and words such as "dark", "work of art", "mysterious" and so on. That intrigued me a lot. Unfortunately, I can't see any of those.

Lumiere Noire pour homme is a nice-smelling scent that is far from delivering a daring or unique smell. I've smelled this in many ladies facial creams and fruit chewing gums.

I don't mean to be contemptuous though since I can see I'll use this scent for nights out and events where a slightly formal shirt is required. I can see this fitting perfectly a white shirt at a glamorous venue (I hope I'll have one someday lol). It gives a clean,harmless and, only to a certain extent, sexy allure, that's for sure... but I wouldn't advice this for any other moment than one where you move around in a room (party, meeting, etc)... since it goes on the same for hours, with no development and it ends up being too predictable and still. Not cloying, not bad... simply not interesting enough to call this a must IMHO.

I'll enjoy my wearings till it's finished but won't buy again. I like my rose scents to be more adventurous and mysterious... edgy... but it's undeniable that LNPH has been made by a great perfumer. I think that the best images are those said here before by other fellows: "flat" and "for polished gents". If you love soapy scents, this seems to be a more subtle one than some other in that field such as Prada pour homme... but the feeling after 3 hs of wearing it is the same... soapy. No mystery in soap.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Lumiere Noir... light and dark. Two elements in a universe at war, until they ultimately fuse into one another. Dark matter and a blood-red rose share the same molecular body, known as "Noir." A transformation that reveals a far more crimson floral, leaving a dusty trail of cumin and cinnamon. Narcissus, identified as "Lumiere" acts as a halo, keeping light and dark sophisticatedly in equilibrium.

williamvargas
williamvargas

definitely one of my favorite of this line.wonderful fragrance and it reminds me of caron's the third man but taken to the next level.. with a white shirt and tie. very elegant ,a polished gent or a young professional type would wear this young as well as older sexy man fragrance maybe... smart and sophisticated, very savy and a touch of portrayal of a successful man who knows he is just that.. very well done !!
right up with apom on my appreciation of this perfumer.. ..will make you sit up and take notice, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but no one could question the quality of this line..
it is
very impressive...
just a great fragrance , I wish it was not so expensive as I would want to wear it more often.. but all this to me is a very wonderful smell.. a smile from me on this..

I have read a mention of reformulation?.. at these type of prices that would
be a shame and surprising that they would do that and ruin a classy reputation of one of this fragrance.

kwiatek
kwiatek

The best rose for Men. MFK is Genius.

stephan
stephan

There is a note behind the rose similar to the principal note of Gaultier². But this fragrance is much better. I feel it's unisex and I think it would be perfect for an elegant woman, office wear!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A beautiful ethereal sexy fragrance for a man to wear. It's not like you are smelling a rose up close but smelling a rose mixed in with something sexy on the breeze.

It is refined and Sophisticated and smells like the feeling of been in love has been captured in a bottle. Simply wonderful and a true delight to wear.

armaniboy
armaniboy

This is very nice and pleasant. A dusty rosy smell, clean and strong.It slightly reminded me of ysl opium BUT only the spray deodorant version of it. Besides that it is a fragrance heavily based on a "greener" version of rose and of course it can be unisex.

jtd
jtd

Let’s go in reverse, because I’d like to end on a positive note. Lumière Noire pour Homme winds up a tidy, sweet musky rose. If you like it, you’ll recognize that it comes from thoughtfully designed succinctness. If you don’t, it’s a bit matter-of-fact. I won’t say that this fragrance loses steam or loses track, but it loses me. To Francis Kurkdjian’s credit, the ride from the beginning to the end is wonderfully designed, and like a well worded short sentence. One idea, clearly stated, perfectly understood. It’s just that everything I love about this fragrance is up front and fades by the quick-to-arrive drydown.

But, oh, that beginning. There are countless patchouli roses out there. This ain’t like any of them. The rose smells like wine, the patchouli smells mineral, and the cumin smells like cumin. This cumin is not a replacement for animal-based ingredients. Not that pouty-growl, wanna-be animalic cumin. It smells like freshly ground roasted seeds and perfectly inflects the rose/patchouli pairing. The three pieces together feel like hot, dusty sandpaper, and smell like temptation. I smell this opening and think, this could be a solution to the chypre/oakmoss dilemma that’s haunting us. This accord is that good.

I just wish I could run LNpH in reverse. But unfulfilled expectation is classic disappointment.

To hell with my disappointment. Thumbs up for that opening accord.

sofiii
sofiii

Sweet woods, patchouli and a hint of spice is the initial impression Lumiere Pour Homme gives me. It has a rather generic feel to it at this stage, it’s like a glorified Gucci by Gucci or something along the line.

Soon after the transition starts, the scent becomes flatter and easier on the nose plus an additional cooling sensation. However, a sharp sour animalist note comes and goes for a bit, which makes me feel nervous when wearing it. The good news, the animalist sour notes doesn’t make to much appearance; bad news, as the frequency of smelling animalist notes goes down, a watery stale spice orange smell comes and becomes more and more dominant to the flat background.

The dry down is rather nice, cosy and slightly vanilla and musk infused , plus the sweet watery background, the scent is quite comforting in a strange and more independent way (in comparison with foody or vanilla perfumes).

Lumiere Pour Homme changes quite a lot and I guess on the right guy it might smell great, however, on me I don’t think I’ll keep my hope of share this (Somehow this reminds me a lot of Hugo Boss Orange for men, on a man it smells quite alright and on my skin it just went watery and stale).

oshunshawo
oshunshawo

simply put.....exquisite!

I'm often skeptic about things people talk too much about and lately I've heard / read many words on the latest project by the young talented Francis Kurkdjian that I decided to momentairely re-direct my curiosity to other perfume houses and face Mr.FK's own line creations in a second time in order not to be influenced by the huge marketing campaign surrounding this launch. Then I went to Berlin where in a big department store they were promoting the whole Maison Francis Kurkdjian range by giving away discovery sets made of four vials at your choice. I had Acqua Universalis, APOM pour Homme, Cologne pour le Soir and Lumiere Noir pour Homme.

I found Acqua Universalis beeing quite inconsistent. One of those perumes that perfectly fits the concept "fragrances for people who don't like them". Then I moved to Lumiere Noir and I got positively surprised. This is the Francis Kurkdjian we're used to. A super-modern and very complex reinterpretation of the spicy fougere. Potent, rich and superbly orchestrated. In the whole fragrance I get a rose note that is always evident but never overwhelming as it's perfectly setted to react with others ingredients. A big dose of animalic-musk, spices, orange and patchouli. Lumiere Noir smells potent, dusty, dark, sweet, rich, mysterious and tremendously elegant. One of the few rose-scents that I really love.

prot72
prot72

A very good fragrance with unbelievable silage and longevity. It is so powerful it lasts for sure more than 16 hours after little application. The fragrance can change only on your skin but not on fabrics. In my opinion related to Rose 31 by Le Labo but is deeper and more mysterious. I can compare LN to the typical oriental perfumes based on rose with animalic edge. There is very very little sweetness few hours after applications and little hint of powder characteristic for Francis Kurkdjian (e.g. Custo Men). According to description it is male fragrance but IMO it is also wearable for woman. I enjoy it very much.

ocean.lake
ocean.lake

This is a great perfume for those men who like rose. I can smell a little bit of Narciso Rodriguez for Her in this gorgeous fragrance. The drydown is powdery with amazing longevity.

I really fall in love with this scent and can't wait to buy other frags from this relatively new niche perfume house. Again, two thumbs up for Mr. Francis Kurkdjian.

mara
mara

This to me is completely unisex, a little quieter than pour femme, but just as lovely. The two scents pair so well I really cant decide witch i like better.