Designers » M » Oriental Woody « Groups

Oud Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men
dislike

oud
Oud Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men Pictures

The famous perfumer Francis Kurkdjian launches a new fragrance within his perfume collection Maison Francis Kurkdjian in early May 2012. The fragrance is simply named Oud, focusing on this exquisite accord. This oriental scented material that had been neglected for decades has returned in a big way in recent years and most of the niche perfumery houses dedicated at least one edition to it.

The aroma is rich and luxurious, representing a modern interpretation of the ancient Arabian perfumes. Francis Kurkdjian uses oud from Laos, where it is the purest and the most expensive. Oud is enriched with woody and spicy notes of cedar, patchouli and saffron.

It is available as 70 ml Eau de Parfum.

Patchouli Cedar Saffron Agarwood (Oud) elemi

Aoud Melody
Encre Noire

Oud Fragrance Reviews

gelo999
gelo999

The fragrance opens with a powerful elemi de-balsamico lemony citrus mimicking effect entries and almost reaches to seem like a traspantojo effect (I loved the concept and is very well embedded). It detects a woody base and very clear.

According evolves spices appear with a powerful note of saffron with a smoky point appropriates the middle notes like a spicy, durable, well modulated, very fine floral arrangement.

The base of woods: cedar, patchouli, oud is still there, in the background, but persistent and vital to result in this fantastic scent so attractive and yet so particular.

The background of musks and balms produce a very woodsy, smoky, steamy, but never dense effect. Duration and very good quality with moderate wake.

All this originality that makes you surprised a fragrance as it evolves very Kurkdjian.

It is not a typical Eastern Oud is more, there seems oud, "enfumé saffron" should have been called

Rating: 8

dlane1953
dlane1953

This is oud for those who hate oud. A delicate, smooth composition that is as graceful and polished, elegant and evocative rather than in-your-face. His own website doesn't list oud as a component, although most other fragrance websites insist it's there. (Notes according to MFK: Saffron, elemi gum, cedar wood, patchouli.) For real oud lovers, it's going to appear too tame and civilized. I love it and am nursing the last of my decant to make it last. Moderate silage (at least if applied sparingly) and longevity is well over 12 hours.

Sezyvex
Sezyvex

I was blown away by this when I first put my nose to my wrist after spraying this just over a year ago. It seemed like some kind of magic that I had experienced and it just changed the game for me altogether.

With MFK fragrances and the notes listed here, I find myself dumbfounded and unable to tell the notes apart which I am not good at anyway but just cannot relate what I smell to what I see notes wise. MFK's blends are just magical and that man himself is a magician. I don't understand how he does it but I can kind of 'feel' his expression and the emotion he is trying to convey.

I sold my bottle off a year ago due to financial constraints and acquired a new one this year... To my dismay, it did not smell the same and the impression of what I had smelled before didn't warrant that I should keep this new acquisition so I had to let it go, gladly. Sometimes we must move on in life holding mere memories to cherish.

I had never smelled it's kind and it was a truly unique experience to my nose which I will never forget.

jtd
jtd

Oud perfumes are the new “orientals”. Like their early 20th century predecessors, their fantasy/reality ratio is sky-high. They are less overtly culturally offensive, but in terms of authenticity, they are just as much a bill of goods.

Francis Kurkdjian avoided the pitfall of attempting to mimic Arabic style. Instead, he treated oud like any other centerpiece note in western traditional perfumery. His Oud has some of the characteristic scent of oud materials, particularly the band-aid note, but the setting is unexpected. Rather than pairing oud with rose, syrup or smoke, Kurkdjian made a sort of woody-floral with a soft oud note. (Though the brand’s list of notes doesn’t include florals.)

Kurkdjian approaches oud as a material rather than a genre. He seems to have given it the same scrutiny he might ambroxan or rosewood, breaking it down into its constituent notes and evaluating the olfactory dynamics, seeing how it interacts with other materials. Some of oud’s traits are underscored, others are played down. By treating it to classical western perfume analysis and technique, Kurkdjian assimilated oud.

In skipping the Arabian fantasy, he avoids the stereotypes of the material. Of the hundreds of oud perfumes to hit the market in the past 5-10 years, not many stray from a narrow interpretation of the material. Kurkdjian took a measured approach and demonstrated his signature talent for composing a perfume that is somewhat unusual but not at all strange. It smells deliciously of shoe polish + lipstick + floor wax. It is cool to the touch and reserved. Kurkdjian aligned oud with patchouli, a material with some similar characteristics, to create a new style of woody-floral perfume. Oud and patchouli are both woody materials that range from pitchy highs to durable, resinous bass ranges. Patchouli’s camphorous chill matches oud’s rubber band-aid note and both share a dusty, woody feel. They don’t smell alike, but the behave similarly.

Classical perfumery has always had a loving appreciation of ‘off’ notes. The most effective materials of traditional perfumery tended to have a stark, asymmetric beauty at their core. Modulating them created a well-proportioned aesthetic that captured the interest and the imagination. Oud is well suited for a similar use—it is idiosyncratic and quintessentially jolie-laide. Kurkdjian didn’t disguise oud, but he did make it his own and proposed a new, western style of oud perfume.

MickZ
MickZ

MFK has managed to blend notes of saffron, oud, cedar and patchouli into a silky smooth, soapy clean, lightly incensed accord. It is easily the most refined oud fragrance I've ever smelled, which can be either a good or bad thing to you. The oud is highly Westernized; cedar doesn't dominate, and the notes harmonize into a classy, soothing rhythm.

The saffron floral note steals the show, which can be tiresome, and there's a light marshmallow sweetness to it. I think this one leans decidedly feminine, and it can also come across a bit shampoo-y. After 8 hours, it becomes a pleasing skin scent, where it remains longer. I say try it for a few days before you commit, especially given the price point. After multiple wearings, the saffron was just too much for me. But as a whole, it is a beautiful, elegant scent. It's a 7.5/10 for men and a 9/10 for women.

EmmaZumba
EmmaZumba

So MFK's Oud has gained cult status and I finally got it in my clutches. It's clearly a western oud, as there is no actual oud detectable, it's just very woody. In a nutshell; it's aromatic, woody and herbaceous. There's a gentle warmth to it, but not a sweet vanilla style warmth but a comforting subtle warmth that resembles the hot rising earth smell of a lush Mediterranean forest floor. It's what Hermes 'Un Jardin En Mediterranee' should have been.
Like all MFK fragrances, it's exceptional quality, it lasts although it doesn't shout, and would possibly work better on a man.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - cedar, saffron & patchouli.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 8hrs consistently.

K1
K1

Carroty, appetizing, and resinous oud. MFK Oud opens with smell of carrot and elemi in the background of a damp industrial oud. The hoax is FK's Oud is not oud, even hardly smells oud but the composition is that elaborate and harmonious that no matter if you like oud or not, and no matter if you like oud's skanky vibe or not, you hardly can deny this perfume cause this is luxury and dirt at once. Kind of corrupt kinky fetish in a loft. Great enormous longevity, strong projection, great dry down and skin-mate warm bitter/sweet mist.
★★★

عود رزینی، خوشمزه و هویج مانند. "عود" با بوی هویج شروع میکنه و رزین لامی توی پس زمینه ای از عود صنعتی. حقۀ کار اینجاست که عودی که کورکجیان ارائه میده عود نیست اصلا، حتی به سختی بوی عود واقعی میده اما چنان ترکیب دست بالا و متناسبی هست که مهم نیست چقدر عود دوست دارین یا نه، و مهم نیست که آیا بوی کثیف عود رو دوست دارین یا نه، این کار رو به سختی بشه رد کرد چون تِم لوکس و کثیف رو با هم در یک زمان نمایش میده. موندگاری خیلی بالایی داره، نشر بوی خیلی خوبی هم داره. فرود خیلی شیک و نرمی داره که روی پوست خیلی خوب، گرم و تلخ/شیرین میشینه
★★★

BeOrtega
BeOrtega

MFK has built up a almost cult like following in the fragrance community so it was only a matter of time before i crossed paths with one of its favourites

MFK - Oud has a almost misleading name lol as i find no oud in this scent at least in its true form nonetheless even without the true essence of what oud actually smells like this is still something thats well blended and made to appeal

i find MFK - Oud to be more of a interpretation of what oud would be like if it was dreamt up by a western market and just like many other house MFK built around the idea of oud using it in a supporting role instead of using oud as its main player but unlike many others that have failed MFK - Oud seem to have succeeded

MFK - Oud opens with a dominate note of saffron and elemi followed by a smooth patchouli and cedar note but i can’t help and think that theres a hint of rose in this somewhere

yes even tho its not advertised in its note pyramid i can’t help but wonder if its a player in this scents construction as it has a sweet smell to it that keeps reminding me of the rose thats found in some of the by kilian uae exclusives

all and all this smells pleasant so I’m sure that you will find this to be a work of art and a scent that has to be tried on for size

on to the next

ps longevity and projection are average at least if your light on the trigger so play around with how many sprays you need to apply to make it last

jhitt793

Within the last several years, oud-based western fragrances have become ubiquitous within the world's beauty and fragrance market. It seems as though every modern perfumery brand has some variation on this oud centric theme. Although seemingly new within the world of western fragrance, oud's prevalence in the Middle East and Asian has been around for centuries, being considered a highly prestigious cultural touchstone. Maison Francis Kurkdjian's 'Oud' seemed to be at the forefront of this fragrance trend with its release in 2012. It is in my opinion the most creative and beautiful oud focused fragrance I have encountered amongst the redundant masses. The indelible artistry and distinctive innovation of Kurkdjian's very capable and deft hands has set his interpretation of oud apart from the mundane and derivative.

'Oud' does not follow the traditional fragrance architecture of top, middle and base notes. Instead it envelopes the wearer in a amalgam of beautiful scents interwoven into a mesmerizing tapestry. Rare saffron, elemi gum from the Philippines, oud from Laos, cedar wood from the Atlas Mountains, and Indonesian patchouli combine to create an intoxicating scent. Upon initial application one can immediately recognize the featured oud, its musty facets brought to the forefront by combining it with the bittersweet saffron. Together the two emit an earthy, leathery accord. Elemi gum with its resinous qualities provides a sharper, terpenic counterpoint to the rather dense oud. At moments it is quite lemony and peppery, with fennel-like facets. A more rounded and nuanced cedar wood is hidden within the depths of the fragrance as is the patchouli, their typical robust scents being relegated to the background and thereby allowing the oud to shine.

Kurkdjian has refined oud's natural unruly characteristics into something quite restrained and luxurious. In doing so he has taken what could have been a tempestuous tiger, transforming it into a purring panther. Sillage and projection for this composition are moderate, though longevity is excellent. 'Oud' has an elegant, sophisticated feel which lends itself well to wearing for formal and/or evening occasions. I happen to love wearing this fragrance in the colder months of autumn and winter where its deep, animalic, and musky qualities can radiate. Despite this, I have found myself wearing 'Oud' during the humid heat of summer as well. Both men and women can easily enjoy this narcotic and oriental scent, as its beauty seems to go beyond traditional gender stereotypes. Mr. Kurkdjian has yet again created a timeless classic, so flawlessly put together it wears like couture finery. Quite simply a modern masterpiece.

Read my complete fragrance review at my personal blog
Fragranceemergency.blogspot.com

Laurelien
Laurelien

I've been testing a lot of MFK, lucky me. I thought Oud Silk Mood was a spectacular scent, very smoky and sandalwood/incense, that was warm and sexy, but maybe a bit too heady for day to day wear. And Oud Satin Mood wowed me with its oud, still warm, but with a shimmering brightness from the rose and vanilla accords. So, reading the description of this, it sounded a bit too oriental/spicy for me. I'm a floral gal, and I like the occasional citrus if balanced well...

This blew me away! I was sitting on my bed surrounded by testers, with this Oud being the last one I hadn't tried. I was hesitant, as I said, because it didn't seem my cup of tea. So I sprayed a small spray on my wrist, and was hit by the warm oud, but a quite peppery smell. I thought, hmm peppery, then looked at the description, didn't see pepper so I thought maybe saffron? took a second to put the tester down then sniffed again.

Saffron! I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by the saffron, the pepper in the first moment absolutely gone, and I lay back on the bed, just smelling my wrists. It settles so nicely, but maybe this is dependant on skin chemistry. I've always worn woody florals well, so on me, this is soft cashmere, decadent and sensual but truly original.

I can't describe quite how amazing this is, at least on me. The uniqueness of the saffron note is balanced by others things I don't recognize, as this perfume is so very unlike anything I've ever tried before. I assume it's the elemi or the patchouli. Needless to say, I've now sprayed it on every pulse point to drown myself in it. It sits pretty close, and as for longevity, if it's like the other Ouds, it should last a while. I've always loved the smell of saffron when using it in cooking, and haven't ever smelled it in a perfume.

It's a signature scent and for those of you who are like me, haven't even gotten on with oriental/spice, I will say this. You HAVE to try this one. It's middling warm, soft, very sensual, doesn't feel spicy, as saffron is so much more woody and warm than other spices. Saffron adds depth to cooking not brightness of flavour, and it's the same here. It blends so well with the Oud, I just adore it. Whereas Oud Silk mood radiated quite strongly, and lasted on my wrists well after three handwashes and a shower, this feels much more subtle. So subtle, that for an Oud, I can see wearing this as my signature scent every day. It might have to fight to make place for some of the other MFKs I've discovered and want, but they're so expensive, this will probably be the first purchase.

As a woman, I love this on me, but it's so sexy and non-abrasive, that I would be equally happy smelling this on a man. It is not feminine to my mind. It exists within its own space, and doesn't belong to a gender. There is no harshness nor synthetic qualities. I find that all of the MFKs I've tested (12 in ttl), none have had alcoholic, harsh top notes. Most have wowed me from the get go. This dries down to a very natural, gorgeous and unique scent. YOU MUST TRY THIS.

AlmalkiJeme
AlmalkiJeme

هذا العطر احببته فعلا.. عود جميل نقي فاخر.. يصلح لكل الاوقات تقريبا

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

TO OUD OR NOT TO OUD

That, my fine fragrance friends, is the question.

Why is it that Oud is not beloved by all? Even when masterfully presented by MFK? I think it's the sour note that is difficult to disguise. Regardless of the smoke and mirror tricks a perfumer performs, eventually the Oud's sour is there. I already have enough trouble with my skin chemistry turning notes a bit sour - so all I can do is appreciate this fragrance, much in the same way I can appreciate a painting but not want to have it for my living room.

But for those who enjoy Oud, then this may be the Oud to have. It is not at all harsh. Quite contrary. Along with a intoxicating subtle smokiness, there is a berry note that runs throughout, and perhaps a hint of powder.

If you are an oud-man (or oud-woman), then sample this. It is a work of art.

GodKing
GodKing

Short but sweet review...MFK Oud is a nice oud fragrance; it's a lighter Westernized Oud perfume, but one can sense the quality of the blend. This fragrance performs well; solid longevity and projects without getting out-of-control. I've heard some say that it's a sexy fragrance, but I just see it as a nice, pleasant, elegant fragrance...but nothing special, especially for the price.

Tassio12
Tassio12

This is a bit of a teaser. It shows strong potential on first wearing, but upon subsequent wearings, I just don't find much to be thrilled with. When you pay the price of this bottle, you need to be thrilled with a scent. It is indeed good, but I find it a bit tame and synthetic for my liking. Sweetly balsamic over the life of the dry down, with a burnt sugar smell in the beginning and saffron coming out a little later. The oud is tame but present... if you're looking for an oud-based scent move along though, as oud is not the main player at all.

There are FAR better fragrances for the price... but a good effort and certainly a quality fragrance.

Lmuradian
Lmuradian

Ive sniffed this scent multiple times now. This will be my next purchase and after that. i think my collection of fragrances will be complete. This is such a beautiful scent wow. Just wow. A man can wear this no problem. People say this is feminine.I think its unisex straight up. Beautiful Light oud with a sweetness. Sillage is heavy. I would make this my signature scent without any hesitation.No Offensive stank oud in this .10/10

Neptune71
Neptune71

It's been a while I smelled this fragrance. I gave the tester to my husband. However, I remember this being a very pleasant and subtle oud fragrance. One of those fragrances I could buy either to myself or to my husband. It suits both genders. Very nice. Maybe it will be in my collection one day :).

lilalina
lilalina

This made me realise i do not like agarwood. It gave me a headache..

Platone
Platone

a western version of oud, too western

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

This is anything but oud. It smells sweet and plain. The other oud fragrances (cashmere, silk, and velvet) I tested have a way more prominent oud note.

Bbjr

Whether this is called oud and doesn't smell like oud makes no difference to me. They can call it whatever they'd like because all that matters is how it smells. And this is simply a great fragrance. I do pick up a bit of oud but it's mostly saffron that comes through and it's wonderful. And it lasts ALL day.

muzzbait

the oud is here, and apparent, but NOWHERE as apparent and 'offensive' as the oud in his 'mood' offerings. it's delicate, dainty and subtle. there is indeed a mild 'coca cola' accord struck, and whilst this may not sound pleasant or even desirable, it does have appeal once you smell it. the dry down is a little soft and quite floral and sweet, but other than that, a nice, solid offering...

houstcs
houstcs

This is by far the most well blended oud I have worn to date. This does smell like oud, but it is so well blended that it is not harsh and medicinal, but fluffy. It feels like rolling in a cloud of oud. I love MFK, but often feel a lingering disappointment from his personal line. No disappointment with this one. I maybe hope to try the other ouds in his line one day. This specific oud is for the wearer, and not many people around you will smell it with just two sprays to the chest, it is very personal. That is okay and not disappointing unless you are someone seeking the acceptance of others. FLUFFY perfection.

crypticat
crypticat

Intoxicating beautiful opening. I get a mysterious chai/cacao/berry sweetness. Unisex. Not really masculine or feminine. Not a scent for me to wear, but I love this nevertheless. It just doesn't fit my personality.

4drewjr
4drewjr

This is perfection in a bottle. By far the best Oud scent I've purchased and a scent that last. Put it on at 7:30 AM it is now 8:45 PM and I still smell "Great". Silk Mood is another great smelling scent by MFK.

Casavulva
Casavulva

Very close to a perfect fragrance.

Excellent quality, absolutely perfectly balanced on all dimensions. Silky smooth also.

Undoubtedly some will miss "the oud", but this is a pure and modest and westernized kind of oud, where saffron, elemi, patchouli and cedar also play an important part.

Others will probably miss the weirdness and mystery often found in contemporary niche.

The only critique I have is the longevity (modest) and the sillage (soft).

deborahfrancoise
deborahfrancoise

The most delicious oud I've ever smelled. I'm always in a joyful mood, when I wear it.It's amazingly flirty and sensual. People often ask me the name of this nice scent. It makes me happy and I feel confident when I put this perfume on...

Jack_Lumber
Jack_Lumber

A big thankyou goes out to my awesome friend Justin for making this review possible :)

I have been waiting patiently for this honeycomb to cool down for what seems like forever! Do you know how incredibly hard it is to resist splitting the brittle block of bubbly salty sweetness so that I can finally taste what has been permeating the entire house with it’s golden goodness for the last few hours! I swear it will take all day for this juxtaposed push and pull of flavours to dissipate.

It’s cool in here. The autumn is always fresh, and this year is no different. I keep the windows in most rooms ajar slightly regardless of the season as I never like to feel stuffy. Today is particularly cool though; a whistling crispness cuts through the warmth of the caramelized sugars I have been playing with all morning, and the gentle breeze carries this heavenly scent wherever I go.

Finally, it’s time. Pale yellow in colour, it’s surface slightly rough and undulating, far from perfect, yet as close to it as it comes, I upturn the tray and shatter the slab into uneven shards. I can’t stop myself from picking up one of the smaller abrasive nuggets and feeling the almost effervescent tickle as the cool and salty sweetness transcends into a richer, warmer and syrupy slick in the warmth of my mouth.

I wrap the remaining pieces in baking paper and place them in a tin. A cool and dry place is where they shall be hidden for now, at least until my guests arrive later. Even though they are sealed within new home, that sweet scent is still following me, and that cool breeze keeps reminding me that the window in the kitchen is open. Opening the pantry door always greets me with a slightly sharp, dry, nose tingling woody welcome. I love the fact that the cabinetry in this house is made of cedar. It’s balsamic pepperyness is both slightly challenging and comforting at the same time. This is another scent that almost grips the inside of my nose and mingles with anything else that treats my olfactory senses.

With the honeycomb now safely tucked away from my itchy fingers and waning willpower, I clean up the sticky trail of mess I left behind in creating it. It’s warmer now, the rays of sun that stream through the window are poaching the bowl of persimmons on the sill. I think they might actually be a bit over-ripe, verging on earthy and pungent in isolation, however creamy and thick when layered with the sweet and salty cool woods that dance around inside this space.

It’ has been several hours now since I first started this confection adventure, and although dispersed and more musky, that delicious saline syrupy set resin still lingers softly like a sweet reminder of my innocent addiction.

muzzbait

yep, i too get that flat cola smell, which isn't bad or anything. the oud isn't too bitter or medicinal, and it doesn't overpower the mix. overall, it doesn't pack the punch i'd hoped it would. i've been smelling this off and on for about a year and for me it just doesn't do enough. nice enough, but not potent enough...

EDIT: 5 hours in an it smells like sarspillara! dunno if i spelt that right, but in australia we call it 'sars', which is probably not used anymore. it has a medicinal smell to it. nice...

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Oud is a pure, romantic, unisex fragrance--a simple harmony with beautiful elements.

On application, the elemi is prominent with it's fresh but very brief dill-like introduction. As the subtle tang subsides, the oud glows with soft, woody sweetness. I can't help but think of cushiony, wood--like pulpy fat-capped mushrooms that secrete a dark rose-berry nectar when squished underfoot.

The saffron is prominent with it's gentle sour-bitter-woody floral aroma and it's wonderfully accented with a sweet cedar hum in the dry down.

Patchouli really lends a nice base of plush coziness and wraps up this fragrance in enchanting tranquility.

There are a lot of parallels with Montale's Red Aoud, which is equally sublime, but Kurkdjian's rendering is simpler, less spicy, and more lucid with very clean, perfectly pitched notes.

Erok32
Erok32

Amazing... polar opposite of most oud fragrances. Very light and comforting...floral, yet gender neutral; similar to donning a quilt on a cold winter morning. Love it.

vserdar
vserdar

A masterpiece.My wife hates oud and heavy perfumes.
For MFK oud , even she loves this soo much.This is absolutely fine art.Silage is average, longetivity is high.Unique and new generation perfume.I used to wear lumiere noir from MFK.Unlike many reviewers , it was an above average perfume for me.But this one is some kind of a magic.RESPECT!!

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

I get berry/saffron and oud. The patch is subdued with no woody elements. I get 8-10 hours of projection and decent sillage. The best oud from this house I have smelled. The trio of ouds seem uninspired. If I were to actually purchase a MFK Oud it would be this! Created for bothe genders..

elusivek
elusivek

Maybe I'm wearing this in the wrong season but it is not working for me at all.
First I get a blast of a sweet berry. Next comes the Oud, which I get right off. It's not too strong or astringent. After that there is a sharp powdery element and perhaps a bit of musk.
After 4 hours there isn't much left but a light amount of the sweet berry, a touch of musk, and just a memory of the oud.
I will try it again in cooler weather but as for now, I'm put off by the sweetness and the berry seems a bit synthetic. The oud was soft originally but faded quickly. The musk is wonderful but I was hoping for a scent with more personality, especially considering all the rave reviews (and the price).

stephan
stephan

I can't smell the Oud. This is similar to Alyssa Ashley Oud pour Elle, and I prefer Oud pour Elle.

lumberjack
lumberjack

I think i found what "love" means...

matty64
matty64

I finally purchased this today for my one, special 50th birthday present. I love the way MFK masterfully blended this heavenly creation! Every time I inhale this intoxicating fragrance I'm transported to some exotic Arabian time portal. Thank you Mr. Kurkdjian

black_orchid
black_orchid

This perfume very good. Excessive!! Actually, I don't like the oud note but this perfum really different. Hard to believe! I think that this perfume Kurkdjian's best..

Kain
Kain

Well, this is by far one of the safest roads of journey to the world of oud and saffron.
Thank god there is no rose in this fragrance which makes it much easier to tolerance.
The opening of this fragrance is a mellow and soft saffron scent with very light oud and noticeable amount of sweetness.
The sweetness is jamy or you can call it syrupy as well.
The oud note here is not pungent and in your face.it's strong enough to give sweet saffron a dark woody and masculine feeling.
Something that I like about this fragrance is the quality and balance of the notes which is very good.
The scent is very linear and there is no big changes till the end.
Sweet jamy saffron with soft and pleasant oud as the dark side of the scent all the way through.
I can smell a little patchouli, but only in the dry down and base and always in the background.
Projection is average and longevity is around 8-10 hours on my skin.
If you want to start discovering oud and saffron and you want something inoffensive, start here.

راستش برعکس اون چیزی که انتظار داشتم این عطر یه کار ملایم و بی آزار بر اساس بوی زعفران و عود هستش
خوشبختانه از بوی رز و جلال و جبروتی که با خودش به همراه داره در این عطر خبری نیست که باعث میشه بوش صدها برابر قابل تحمل تر بشه به نسبت کارای دیگه
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی شیرین و ملایم زعفران ترکیب با عود شروع میشه
شیرینی عطر یه جورایی بوی مربا مانند یا شربت مانند داره. خیلی ملایم و خامه ای نیست ولی خیلی هم شیرین نیست که دل آدمو بزنه. شیرینی مناسبی داره
بوی عود هم ملایم و دلپذیره و فقط در حدی هست که به بوی شیرین زعفران حس سنگین و مردانه بده
بوش کاملا خطیه و از اول تا آخر تغییری به اون صورت نمیکنه
فقط هر چی میگذره کم کم بوی نعنای هندی بهش اضافه میشه که البته همیشه در حاشیه قرار داره و جایی برای عرض اندام و خودنمایی تو عطر اصلا نداره
پخش بوش متوسطه و ماندگاری خوبی در حد 8-10 ساعت روی پوست داره
اگه دنبال یه عطر ملایم بر اساس رایحه های عود و زعفران میگردین گزینه خوبیه
کیفیت رایحه ها و بالانس بینشون هم خیلی خوبه که یکی دیگه از نکات مثبت این عطره

slapdash
slapdash

Francis Kurkdjian presents all the fun of the fair.

Whether deliberately or unwittingly, MFK Oud does an uncanny job of recreating what a carnival smells like - the sweet, synthetic and acrid wafting across the night air. Roasted peanuts, hot dog buns, butter popcorn and candy floss/cotton candy (and gummy bears and bubble gum too!) intermingle with discarded waxed-paper cups with sticky soda residue and whiffs of greasy diesel fumes that come from powering the rides.

It's an assualt on the senses but in a good way, the oud helping to rein things in, the elemi toning down the plasticky vibe and the saffron generating a residual heat.

This is oud done differently but oud done right. On me it feels like a second skin, on others it radiates an inviting warmth.

I approve.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The following review is really for my notes only, its very brief and leaves out a ton of details. Im just typing something that I remember each by. Im sure I will disrespect someones favorite fragrance too.

This one reminded me a lot of Bond No.9 New York Oud. Very sweet, syrupy oud to open then it dries down to a syrupy rose oud. Very good sillage and longevity.

SAKE
SAKE

Peut-etre un "oud" tres aere mais ... c'est une construction olfactive superbe. Ce n'est pas l'oud agresive, metalique ou medicinal - c'est la sensation du "l'air tres seche, tres du-desert, tres propre". A ca c'est aussi la contribution egalement de cedre.
Cedre+oud(de tres bon qualite)= l'air de l'Orient dans un Oud elegant et sugestive.
La tenue est de 5-6heures, le sillage este assez de marquez la presence elegante dans la chambre.
Je l'aime !

brada
brada

a masterpiece.Incense,oud,saffron...a congiury.

Atticusalexis
Atticusalexis

Simply fantastic! I have to admit Oud did not wow me for the very first time. In fact I was a little caught off guard by the initial sweetness and was skeptical that it will grow on me as it seems that every fragrance or fashion house are churning out Oud fragrance.

I even tried the cashmere, velvet and silk... Was interested in cashmere but it wasn't for me. This, on the other hand went through the isolation phase.

I left the paper blotter sprayed with it on the table in my room. Each time I went into the room, I can't help but be drawn to the table. I then realised its the whiff of fragrance that draws me to it. Of course, that rekindle my interest. I had to try it on the skin. And... Yes, it can be a little sweet for me initially but as time passes by, it becomes part of my skin, sittting comfortably... Soothing.... Smooth.

What's more, Francis Kurkdjian was in town for a bespoken fragrance for charity.. Was extremely elated to have him autographed by bottle and pictures taken with him. He has no airs and is approachable despite not feeling too well.

Yes, this shall be the one I will take to my grave with me when the day comes..

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

GORGEOUS!!! Out of all of the MFK Ouds, this is my favorite. Upon first whiff, you are hit with an overdose of saffron! If you have ever smelled saffron alone, you would know that this fragrance is saturated with it. It is very aromatic, semi-sweet, not dark, not skanky, and has no tar note. I can see a female pulling this off quite easily yet it is not feminine. This is probably one of the only oud fragrances I believe works very well in warm climates. In fact, it can be worn throughout all of the seasons. The longevity is off the charts. This is the cheapest of all four oud's @ $300 for 70ml. 70ml would truly last you a lifetime...

Without doubt the best Oud centric fragrance(with Oud in the name) I've ever smelled. Saffron & elemi compliment it beautifully and make for a subtle and gorgeously smooth scent.
The patchouli in this is handled really carefully and works as a catalyst for other notes rather than being too harsh.
Francis Kurkdjian has some amazing fragrances under his own banner not to mention his legendary status with other houses...This one is a favourite of mine and yet another expensive niche fragrance I desperately want but can't afford.
Oh well maybe one day.

Update: Tried Armani Prive Royal Oud and I have to say it's another smooth and stripped back composition which lets the Oud really take centre stage and put me in mind of this one...Praise indeed!
Re update: Having had a chance to sample royal Oud again although it's nice and has saffron in, It's not a patch on this. I adore this fragrance and even though it's £195 for 70ml I will have to bite the bullet at some stage and get it, too good to miss out on.

michael.j
michael.j

I am gobsmacked at the beauty of this. I have never smelled an oud with this much imagination. What a welcome break-out from the oud herd! It transcends gender marking and, I'd say, even the oud genre itself. It is clean and sweet at the same time. MFK's Oud is a dense floral enveloped by heavy white musk. I wear Tom Ford's Oud pretty often, and I like it a lot, but this is in another league, both in the quality and balance of the ingredients. This is more complicated than the Tom Ford. It's more daring and contains broader spectra of contrasts and harmonies. If only more perfumes could be this expertly crafted. This is quintessential haute parfumerie. After wearing this and Silk Oud Mood (my new favorite rose -- au revoir Montale, Amouage and Bond No. 9), I completely get why there is an MFK cult.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

On opening the oud predominates, like the single note in perfume is medicine and powerful , and then after a few minutes the other notes start to appear, so perceptible, but without stealing the scene of the main star that is always present in the first plane. The other notes that seem to be in the background are difficult to identify because the aroma is well balanced.

After some time, a floral note will be forming and growing within the fragrance, but still the star remains the oud, and at times he refers me to the Red Aoud, perhaps by mixing oud and saffron, but other than Red Aoud I dont like, this one does not predominate floral note on my skin, causing the oud is sovereign from beginning to end of fragrance, this pleased me so much.

Longevity very good and sillage is good, the aroma is excellent and changes very little throughout evolution it on my skin.

Roge'
Roge'

This is my favorite out of Maison's Oud collection. Longevity? I have no idea. It lasted waaaay too long on my arm. I double dare you to spray this on your clothing.

Bbjr

This is one of those fragrances where I'm afraid to wear it anymore because each time I spray I get closer to an empty bottle. Can't do without it!

jhitt793

This is an extremely difficult fragrance to describe. The opening is intensely saffron to me, with creamy oud wood developing soon after. Faint nuances of cedar wood and patchouli balance the base, though are barely perceptible thanks to the generous oud note. Behind Creed's "Royal Oud", this is my second favorite oud/agarwood offering to date. Where as Creed's "Royal Oud" smells definitely masculine and spicy, Kurkjdian's "Oud" is softer and more sensual. Evokes a mysterious and provocative evening in the Umaid Bhawad Palace of Jodhpur, India. (23)

bouffantbunny
bouffantbunny

I loooove this!! Gawd I love it, and more and more with each wearing. To me its a sweet ethereal translucent blue floral. So heavenly. its such a beautiful piece of art I have no interest in analysing it. I would write this perfume a song if I could write songs. The painting Spring Scattering Stars by Edwin Blashfield captures this for me.

beata4u2
beata4u2

I envy all these people who enjoy this perfume. I sprayed it and it was a scrubber for me :-( Smelled exactly like a combination of antiseptics and/or dentist office on my skin. Shame since I'm a big oud fan!

MFK Oud Silk mood it's a totally different story though!

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

Opens with a blast of latex condoms and then settles into a discrete synthetic oud mixed with a lot of white musk.

It doesn't smell bad, per se, but it smells very polished and mainstream. If this same scent came in a Hugo Boss bottle, everyone here would be slamming it for being safe, boring, and synthetic.

I like a lot of MFK's compositions, but I feel this one falls flat. It's just not that interesting.

Bbjr

This blows away the 3 new oud scents he just came out with.

xliMilx
xliMilx

mind taking perfume, i just recieved my bottle of this oud perfume, i barely notice the oud in it, shouldn't be named oud, very unisex, soft, i prefare to smell it on my wife and will give it to her as gift, i love it.

Phoenix1
Phoenix1

I dont care if this oud is synthetic or real. its one of the best scents out there....Very sweet spicy oud and I'm not sure what everybody is talking about with it being short-lived....this stuff lasts and lasts....It's classy, VERY MASCULINE and it will harbor the compliments....Trust me ! MFK knows what he's doing....

kazewayz
kazewayz

This is a great oud. It's very subtle and sweet. It's warm and welcoming. It's dark, it's classy, and modern at the same time. This is a very well done fragrance. Unisex? I can see it being unisex. This is too sexy and sweet. The only thing is that I wish it was a bit stronger as I like extreme versions of perfumes. Try it.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

This is a cotton candy oud to me! ;) I am in love with this! i am a bit surprised the way oud is presented in this frag because I was expecting a shrilling kind but the gods are in favour because the patchouli and saffron made it into something near sweet and playful. The oud is smooth and it just hugs your nose! I love how balanced the composition is, something I admire in MFK´s perfumes. Ive tested the other 3 ouds from MFK and this Oud is on the top of my list, while Oud Silk is the strong number 2. You get moderate sillage and great longevity. Rate: 4.8 / 5

Chattermonkey
Chattermonkey

Finally a oud I can really enjoy smelling. Its been a while since I kept sniffing my wrist. Oud is quite intoxicating.

Bbjr

Sorry, I'm just not big on describing all the notes I detect. All I can say is this is one glorious scent for men. Could very well be the best ever and I have, oh, a few bottles of other juice. If its oud that I'm smelling then its heavenly, I detect some other spiciness but not sue what it is. This stuff is worth every penny and the longevity and sillage are second to none.

kisnatek
kisnatek

It is radiant, sunny, liquory, with delightful oud "catpiss" aroma. Sharp and spicy like Angel but who has grown up. I am in love.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Carefull highly addictive!

The more I wear it the more i fall in love with it. The justaexposition of hot and cold, dry and resinous is very interesnting. The oud is very deep, resinous like a rich and thick transluscent secretion from a cut tree. I can also smell recently cut cedar and a sort of powdery haze that i´m not sure what it is (probably safron) but i think could be the smell of the dust left when the tree was cut.

Another image i associate with this fragrance is desert sand that is transported in the wind. Kurkdjian was very clever creating this...

4,5 out of 5

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

Really enjoyed the bejeezus out of this - until it got to the drydown. After a fashion it really started to annoy me. It's a fairly distinctive juice at the outset, and the drydown is interesting, but it really didn't work for me. It's only the second time I've ever rushed to scrub something off of myself. Not for me. YMMV.

vertoxrealms222
vertoxrealms222

beautiful perfume exactly what i was looking for in an oud perfume, yet still not what i expected from this.
After reading so much about this perfume i thought of it to be more of a smoky mysterious oud perfume, but its actually quite like, yknow it is what its name is. Oud. Beautiful elegant long lasting, and 10+ for the bottle also. I have spent alot and I mean alot of money on perfumes, like rich neiche expensive perfumes(e.g kilian, creed, amouage,tom ford, nasommato? you name it) but the look and feel on this bottle tells me yes im holding an expensive mofo perfume here, i mean just hold that cap of it, dont know what material it is but hell no it aint plastic, it has weight
blah blah blah anyway
lasting power 12hr+
sillage varies from person to person, i have oily skin, which means im a scent killer? but it does what it can which would be around 6 feet in the initiation and then goes down to skin after say couple maybe more hours

Eos
Eos

This fragrance is not named appropriately. Its more about incense and cedar than it is about oud. Its a surprisingly clean, well mannered perfume and frankly I'm wishing there was something more to it. The patchouli seems non-existent on my skin and I think the composition would have been more noteworthy had the patchouli or oud been done with a heavier hand. I guess I wish it was more medicinal or earthy or animalic... something less middle of the road. Its not boring, its just safe.

Carestinus
Carestinus

OK, I surrender.

When the little sample of Oud came to me with the purchase of Lumiere noire pour homme my first impression was: is this a joke?

I smelled something acidic, so far from my Montales, from sensuality, from wearability! This was a complete no go, immediate... I was about to throw it away but kept it for further analysis. One night I went to bed and sprayed a tiny bit. It was so captivating, I kept smelling my arm but thought: "too strange... nice but ... no no, not for me. What's in it that makes it so... acidic? astringent?"

Now, 4 months later, I must confess I still don't know what to think about it, I find it weird and sort of plastic, BUT it is my most complimented perfume in ages. Every time I've worn this stuff people come up, leaving behind social restraints and say: "you smell wonderful!" "this fits your style so well, amazing" "boy, you're hot... because of the scent you're wearing" (sometimes some compliments seem hidden criticisms, I don't get that happy after all with those lol!). I must admit I can't see what's with it but I will simply surrender to this fact: this stuff is gorgeous with or without my approval so there you go.

Huge sillage, longevity is ok. The 70ml bottle is expensive but surely lasts for a long life. Chapeau monsieur Kurkdjian! (I'm eager to try the new flankers!)

shawny
shawny

The most beautiful opening I have ever smelt.

Roflecones
Roflecones

This is unlike any oud I have ever encountered. A blast of bright saffron and patchouli at the opening, mellowing out into a comfortable woody drydown. The oud is smooth and clean. Are these characteristics of the Laotian variety? I have no idea. In any case, I really love this interpretation. It's incredibly Parisian.

EDIT: I've been able to sample MFK's upcoming oud collection and I have to say it only gets more traditional from here. The original OUD is still top on my list of the modern ouds.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

The smell of real oud varies a lot on different people, without counting there are different species and grades of them. I do smell the real thing here but just wish it to be a bit stronger and lasted longer. A beautiful fragrance in general and tempted to add this to my fragrance wardrobe.

Post Note: Already added this beautiful fragrance to my wardrobe despite it's high price tag US$300/70ml. The more I wore it the more I loved it.

fumigateur
fumigateur

There is no oud in this, there is some vague scent profile at the opening and then it smells like rubber. I think rubber and saffron would be a good blend but i'd like to smell something, minimalism does not equal nihilism all the way to the bank.

samuel.martin.1276
samuel.martin.1276

This sent just gave me a flash back. This oud laced floral is like the heart of the modern day cougar. If you are a 40+ female looking to get in some prime 20 something meat...This is a day to day wear for you!!

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Kurkdjian did a masterpiece. An oud bright, clear, this is the feeling that gives me Oud.
Combination so well made with saffron and patchouli, I consider this perfume a modernization of that wood, a well balanced carefully agar, the true and natural oud wood, wood from Laos. A precious stone!

arabianscent
arabianscent

It's not oudh, but it's definitely one well crafted perfume ! Double thumbs up.

nada
nada

Another in the long line of those "don't know why called Oud". Wake up guys and smell the roses!:) I mean there is no oud here. Not synthetic, neither real one. Just some kind of bitter sweet mess... Sorry, I am just getting tired of every perfume house releasing any frag they have and calling it oud.

Nancy Lynn
Nancy Lynn

I see your gummy bears and raise you rootbeer mixed with pinesol. AND I love it! I could go on about notes and blending and development but that's too much work when simply this is "rootbeery pinesol" and that is a surprsingly delish combination. I love it!

Wise-222
Wise-222

this is what we call it ''modern oud''it's
not heavy and noisy,it's very simple and delicious.

recomended taht for any oud lovers they will like it.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A very refreshing Oud paired with saffron and patchouli, I like this as the Oud has a candy like quality to it.

kl
kl

It is so delightful and long lasting

CathyCooper
CathyCooper

This is the most beautiful and compelling fragrance I own. Classic, mysterious, modern, intoxicating.

miniwidget
miniwidget

Oud fragrances are new to me. Alas, I am searching for the perfect one. Montales white oud, to me, was not the ultimate oud, though I read many rave reviews and antipated its glory. Alas, with those high expectations, the disappointment was predictable. Some ouds remind me of a woman in menopause who cannot see the mustache and beard she is sporting. A little too much testosterone for my liking. Upon first spraying this oud, I get an odd vitamin smell. If you live through this topnote and don't scrub it off, your journey though painful at first, will be rewarded by a beautiful, earthy, yet feminine hug of perfume. This oud, in my opinion, is sublimely feminine and wearable. If not for the fact that I need a new vacum, I would have been all over this when I first tried it. Its yummy!

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

OMFG!! MMMMM!! this is thee "OUD" well my top oud, o wow this is heavenly absolutely blended to perfection, && I thought I found it with Montale's red aoud...but this is the icing && now montales is just the cake... immediately on my skin it develops into something so interesting && might I actually say slightly kinda sexxi, the oud deff. shines in a smoother classier kinda way not that medical sharpness you'll find in some other ouds...I know some might not like that, but I do!! O I'm in love, thank u master Kurkdjian, it smells SOOOOO GOUD!! :)

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

Wow, this is something special. I do wish it lasted longer. I get half a day out of it. After that it is VERY close to the skin.

I didn't think I would ever spend so much on a fragrance. It is unlike any other Ouds I have tried.

I think this fragrance is well suited to a business man, at the office, professional meetings etc., not for the night clubers.

$$
$$

ONE OF THE BEST DAILY WEARABLE OUD EVER MADE PERIOD!!!!! NITE/DAY

CastoR&Pollux
CastoR&Pollux

masters at work.... heavenly oudy

velb95
velb95

IT
Adesso so che non è mai tardi imparare le cose nuove. Prima ho detto: non compereò mai il profumo di Francis Kurkdjan... Poi, ho scoperto che l'ho già fatto addirittura 3 volte (Silver Shadow Davidoff for men; Fleur du Mâle Jean Paul Gaultier for men e, comunque, Le Male Jean Paul Gaultier for men) mi vergogno dalla mia ignoranza.

In più, parlando dell'ultimo profumo Oud di Francis Kurkdjan devo constatare, che è una creazione davvero meravigliosa. L'odore che ti crea una sensazione di leggerezza e felicità. C'è poco di classico Oud nella miscella, ma in caso di questo profumo questo non mi dispiace affatto.

EN
Now I know it's never too late to learn new things. Once I told that I will not ever buy any perfume of Francis Kurkdjan ... Then, I discovered that I've already did it... even 3 (!!!) times: Silver Shadow Davidoff for Men, Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle for men and, obviously, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male for men. I am ashamed of my ignorance.

Talking about this perfume, I have to observe that it's really wonderful creation, - some kind of prezious aroma of lightness and happiness that stay with you whole day. You can hardly feel the classic Oud in this mix, but in the case of this fragrance I do not mind at all.

bentleybecker
bentleybecker

not for me, although I love francis' work in general. it smells like an acid oud, I know oud originally smells like medication, but some brands just did a great work with oud like the precious oud of van cleef.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Really Mr. Poet?? What a tease. I'd like for you to wear it before reviewing. Thanks!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.