Designers » M » Floral Fruity Gourmand « Groups

dislike

coconut
yellow floral
Beach Walk Maison Martin Margiela for women Pictures

The house of Martin Margiela is launching a brand new collection of fragrances called Replica, as an addition to the Replica fashion line. The collection of fragrances consists of three perfumes for women named Flower Market, Beach Walk and Funfair Evening. Each of them triggers a characteristic memory and is accompanied with a cotton label describing its provenance.

Perfumers who were invited to participate in creation of the new collection are Jacques Cavallier and Marie Salamagne. Beach Walk opens with citruses – bergamot and lemon, and develops with pink pepper, ylang-ylang, coconut milk, musk and heliotrope.

The fragrances are poured into classical, simple bottles similar to those in apothecaries, while their outer carton is illustrated with a photograph reflecting the topic of each of the fragrances.

All three perfumes will be available starting from the end of June 2012, as 100 ml eau de toilette.

Musk Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Lemon Pink Pepper Heliotrope Coconut

Beach
Elle L'aime

Beach Walk Fragrance Reviews

hannah.reed.9085
hannah.reed.9085

Imagine sitting on a pier overlooking the ocean. The smell of the warm wood mixes with musk and a pinch of real coconut to create such a nice, warm, comfortable scent.

angellama
angellama

I will happily be one of the few people who adores Beach Walk. Perhaps I should consider myself lucky - based on what other people are saying about it, it sounds like my skin amplifies considerably different notes than is normal. On me, it is absolutely a musk scent. A light musk, but still not a sunscreen like a lot of people are picking up on. I oddly smell no coconut unless I try extremely hard to imagine it. I’m not doubting that it’s there, but it seems to disappear on me. What I do smell is a light floral (the heliotrope, I believe) grounded by a soft musk. There’s a hint of citrus, and now that I know there is pink pepper in it, I am starting to sense that as well. As it dries down, the musk really reveals itself more fully, and it smells incredible. I get a fairly decent wear out of it for an EdT - maybe 6 hours or so? It does stay fairly close to the skin, but that is my preference.

Does it literally smell like a beach? No. Nor would I want it to! But it does smell like a soft summer fragrance that you might wear to the beach. It just makes me feel relaxed when I wear it, like going on a brief vacation at my desk. There are assuredly other fragrances like this on the market, but frankly I haven’t sniffed them. I am extremely fond of Beach Walk, and I definitely think it’s worth your time to at least give it a try and see which notes are most prominent on your skin.

EDIT 10/25/14: I've been revisiting this scent now that it isn't 100+ degrees, and I've discovered that the scent has changed on my skin. That coconut I could barely smell before? It is far more obvious now that the high is only in the 80s. My suspicion is that my skin eats up the coconut part of the scent when it is extremely hot or humid. Now that it has cooled somewhat, the coconut sticks around a tad longer before the musk takes over. Such an interesting scent, though I prefer it when it is extremely hot outside and I don't get much of the coconut. I usually don't abide by seasonality in my fragrances, but I think this will probably be just a spring/summer scent for me.

Avarie
Avarie

It is a pleasant scent. Might be a little strong for some noses, but as long as it's not overapplied, then this isn't too offensive. The coconut reminds me a little bit of a "sugar-free" version of Gwen Stefani's "G." Unfortunately, I'm also getting the Yankee Candle/sunscreen vibe from this. While I like the scent, I wouldn't wear this as a fragrance on myself. I'd instead be sniffing my Yankee Candle called "Beach Walk" (incidentally), or even slather on my Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen. All three of them smell so similar to me. But to anyone who does have memories associated with this kind of aroma, then I can totally see how this would evoke thoughts of relaxing on the beach, playing in the sand, reading a book, feeling the sea breeze...

IsabelVerh

Woah. This just goes to show how much it's worth to leave and revisit fragrances you don't like.

A couple of months ago I got a sample of this. Tried it once, didn't like it, left a short but scathing review on this page. I threw the vial back in my sample drawer and went on with my life.

Today, I was suddenly reminded it existed, and as I'm sitting at home working on a thesis and trying out new makeup and perfume alike, I spritzed some on my wrist. At first, I thought: "This is actually nice. Coconutty, but nice. Let's leave it on and see what she's got."

I am now about an hour in when I smell my arm again and suddenly, I'm transported back to vacation when I was a little girl. Feet buried in the sand, watching the waves, sitting next to my mother applying sunscreen with that typical cheapish summery smell. Bang. Sillage is excellent as well, I can smell it fine as I'm sitting here and that memory is still pervasively there. Comforting and warm.

Most people understandably classify this as a summer scent. For me, it would be great to wear in the dead of winter, to evoke lovely memories like mine in myself and others. I suddenly get the Replica idea. Who'd have thought it.

charlottef
charlottef

I was so happy to grab a sample of this from Sephora and, well, I'm glad I didn't buy it. For a split second on initial spray it smells amazing, exactly like a refreshing walk on the beach (but more like a freshwater beach, there's no salty note I could detect). It dries down to a powdery musk with a cotton-ey note that smells warm but not particularly beachy, it's more like sitting out on the porch on a summer day, while fresh laundry dries in the fresh air. It doesn't last particularly long on me, unfortunately.

If you're looking for a really fresh scent, I'd recommend something from the Clean line. It's half the price for basically the same thing.

Gigi27
Gigi27

This does smell like the beach, but not a la Bronze Goddess, which I find lovely in the top notes and artificial in the drydown.

A little suntan, a little salt, very sexy.

I don't wear it during summer, when the fragrance is already present in sunscreen lotion, flowers and the sea, but in Winter, when it becomes more noticeable, sexier, warm and a mood-lifter.

TibbieMom
TibbieMom

I'm also glad I ordered a sample instead of blind buying this. So not appealing to me. I kept trying to figure out what note was spoiling it for me, and finally I realized it was mimosa (which I don't like at all). It's not listed in the notes, but it's def there on me. The longevity is good, I'll say that.

Sweetiekitty
Sweetiekitty

So glad I purchased a sample before a blind buy. Distinctly underwhelmed.

It smelled very much like the beach in the way that Yankee Candle can smell like the beach.

If I want that, I don't have to shell out $125 for it, I can just buy the potpourri refresher oil and dab it on.

Sweetly Marie
Sweetly Marie

I'm not much for beachy scents, so I wasn't surprised to find that I really did not like this scent at all. It's very linear; all I could smell from start to finish was a musty saltwater scent. A faint hint of sweetness, but nothing to write home about. Not something I would wear, personally.

Beachy clean. I personally don't smell a lot of coconut. I get lemon and laundry musk and a bit of ylang. Very breezy, soft. Similar to Bobbi Brown, but less suntan lotion. Perhaps more similar to Fire Island due to the citrusy tones.
Very casual, very unisex. Pleasant, but unexciting.

a5n8g8e2l4a
a5n8g8e2l4a

I suspect that my weird skin chemistry is rearing it's ugly nose again.

Unfortunately, I did not get any coconut smell from this. I didn't get lemon or bergamot or pink pepper; just musky flowers.

It smells like generic perfume on me. I was so disappointed! I wanted a beachy smell, and instead I got a generic flowery perfume.

Oh, well, at least the sample was free. :)

apricot.porridge
apricot.porridge

Lemon, musk, pink pepper, ylang-ylang. This is what I smell the most. And all of them together, magically, surrounded by the other notes (which all make an appearence, no execption, subtly and gorgeously) manage to small like sea salt, the most expensive of sun lotions, and sunshine.
I don't even know how to explain how this frangrance works.. but it does. It wears expensive, and for a very, very, very long time - like.. 2 days.
Only drawback is the spray mechanism. The frangrance comes out in a very liquid squirt, so it's better to wear this and let it dry on your skin before getting dressed, or the product will stain your clothes.

Maride
Maride

When I saw this at my local perfume shop the bottle intrigued me. Sniffing it was heaven and it was even better on. I sniffed and sniffed and was transported to summer days spend on the beach, warm sand, sun on your skin, salty waves and sunscreen sweetness. Precisely as the name suggests. I was lost in a summer dream...

Until. I just couldn’t stand it for one more minute. It literally changed from one sniff to the next. About an hour after I put it on it got so overwhelmingly sweet and claustrophobic that I felt physically sick and I just had to get it off. I scrubbed like mad but it still lingered so I had to put on another, fresher scent to save myself from a thunder headache rolling in. I could still smell it though and found out that there was some left on my shirt.

Excellent longevity though - after washing the shirt I can still detect it. I've never had such an extreme reaction to a perfume before - from utter love to murderous dislike... Intriguing, I will have to try it again (but not too soon)...

AmusedMuse
AmusedMuse

This is actually $125 at Sephora for 3.4 ounces. It's gorgeous, and I've been wearing it for the past several days. It's coconut milk and warm fresh skin with a touch of lily to me, a really nice alternative to summer citrus and floral scents. It last several hours, but stays fairly close to the skin.

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

I really get where they were going with this. It completely reminds me of going to the beach with my boyfriend, him forcing me to put on sunscreen. It smells like sand, sunscreen, and beach sweat. I like the smell in a weird way, but I don't see myself wearing this anywhere.
Edit: I live in Florida, and if you have ever been to Ron Jon Surf Shop, this is what it smells like when you first walk in. Kind of like surf wax. Just thought I would throw that out there.

lushnight
lushnight

This is a startlingly good replica of the beach. Not just the usual obvious coconut, but the saltiness, the sand, the water, a waft of flowers. It's so accurate, that it feels strange to me to wear this to the office or basically anywhere else that I wouldn't wear a bathing suit. It makes me feel like my hair is probably a wet mess. Like when you've been camping and it's not until you return to civilization that you realize you smell like campfire and pine needles. This is more pleasant than that, but just feels weird to me out of it's natural habitat. It is however a really nice, well balanced perfume, so don't let my neuroticism stop anyone from wearing it everywhere.

ellementira
ellementira

This scent achieves an honesty about a "beachy" youthful scent that a lot of fragrances miss. It achieves that sun-baked suntan lotion scent with the coconut and musk, as well as the heady tropical floral permeating the air with introduction of ylang-ylang. The two are so well balanced however and one does not outcompete the other, leaving this perfume neither heady (thankfully, as ylang-ylang tends to do) nor artificial. This smells of authentic tropical beach to me- no berries or vanilla anywhere, just warm skin, tropical air in the heat, and coconut. One to check out for sure if you are a lover of tropical scents.

EDIT: Having now compared this to Bobbi Brown's popular "Beach" fragrance, I can assuredly say I prefer this one. Beach Walk is softer and warmer, whereas Bobbi Brown's fragrance is sharper and saltier on my nose. I also wanted to add that Beach Walk had surprising longevity. I could still smell traces of it the next day.

IsabelVerh

I don't get what this has to do with the beach AT ALL. This smells like new car fragrance to me. Badly thought-out, definitely overpriced.

Scotchyroo
Scotchyroo

This scent starts out like Jil Sander "Pure" but quickly loses its (pleasant) plasticky smell. Where Pure stays edgy, chic and unnatural. Beach Walk softens quickly and holds a warm, salty coconut odor. It smells like a warm child who's spent the whole day in the sun, swimming in the ocean after multiple sunscreen applications.
I would guess that this is what Jennifer Anniston intended her eponymous perfume to smell like.

Exenidi
Exenidi

Pleasurable and fulfilling scent! You know when girls look for a healthy light but at the same time still a desert at lunch:-) like a perfect fruit salad, served as a main course: satisfying and fresh! This perfume is a perfect blend of flowers, salt and spice - it doesn't kill with over complexity but at the same time seems to have captured all summer notes, perfect for the beach.

Tovah
Tovah

Simply incredible! A masterpiece of of scent reality and memory combined. It has the true salty ocean notes I've found only in Sel de Vetiver and Calypso Marine. A fragrance that haunts me.

mrjohn12
mrjohn12

I can't figure out if I like this one or not. First of all, I'm head over heels for Beyond Love by Kilian, but I really can't justify the price. I thought this one might be a great alternative.

It's everything I wanted Bobbi Brown's Beach to be (BBB turns waaaay salty on me, very aldehydic as well). Bond No.9's Fire Island does the same thing, very very soapy, moreso than BB. Is Beach Walk the one? I really hope so...

And yet, there is a deep bruisy sweetness (too much coconut? too much ylang-ylang?) that stops me mid-sniff, almost as if my nose can't handle that much sweet. I'm anosmic to musk, maybe the musk balances it out but since I can't smell it, the perfume seems not quite right? Or maybe I haven't given it a proper chance to shine, like outside of the store where I'm not surrounded by so many bottled sugar cubes like Viva La Juicy (ick!).

Beach Walk, please be the one. I love your longevity, I adore your bottle, I love your notes, you seem perfect! I will edit tomorrow to let you know how this almost-love-affair plays out.

EDIT: I am so thrilled to announce that I finally own this one. I live in Arizona, so the heat keeps me from being able to wear the heavy orientals I so adore. But I don't like floral scents, not a huge fan of aquatics, and citrus smells nice, but disappears faster than water. This is a perfect vacation of a perfume.

strawberryswitchblade
strawberryswitchblade

This smells exactly the way "Beach" used to smell when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Coconut-ish suntan lotion (yes, suntan not sunscreen), salt water and sand. Therefore I only wear it when I'm going to the beach. It kind of lets me blend in with the environment but also somehow manages to make me stand out by smelling hyper real.
I love this scent but it is not appropriate for any other place but the beach.

A true beach scent. Warm skin, saltwater on your skin mixed with flowers and soft coconut in sunshine.thats what I think of when I close my eyes and smell beach walk. Perfect scent for warm weather.

Äkta stranddoft. Varm hud, saltvatten på din hud blandat med blomnoter och mjuk kokos i solsken. Det är bilden jag får när jag sluter ögonen och känner denna doften. Perfekt doft för varmt väder.

chandon
chandon

This perfume is a perfect scent by margiela. I loved it on my first whiff and i love it since! Its a unisex scent...not just for women eventhough its marketed as a female fragrance. Very unique and a man could definatly rock it. superbly fresh and smells like coconuts and flowers and some sort of facial powder. Highly recomended to have in a collection! Im a Big Fan!!

Kelle
Kelle

I really like this. Sweet and sexy without being sickly, tropical and cosmopolitan at the same time.

AriannaSR
AriannaSR

Love this. People who live anywhere around central europan beaches will smell home in this fragrance, which is soft, fresh and subtle. Coconut and pink pepper mix well with a delicate floral note, this little gem smells like a beautiful summer breeze.

anna.023
anna.023

It's a really plesant smell on paper, very beachy, salty and fresh. Like a cool sea breeze full of salt. Kind of how your skin smells after a day on the beach.

But on the skin it's a compleatly diffrent story, and not a good one! It's terrible. A strong, piercing and sickening floral aroma starts imediatley. I can't realise how I compleatly missed that on paper? I sprayed it on my skin when I was in town with my mother and either of us could stand the strong, metallic, sweet floral scent. I had the feeling that the perfume was litterally screaming on my wrist. This is a serious abuse of florals. Yuck!

Sadley the sillage and the lasting power was great... My stomach not so great.

A uninteresting concoction of sweetish clean musks with a touch of coconut. Too simple, too thin...

rutaj
rutaj

pointless. Coconut with a bit of powder. Neither sultry, nor salty- why wouldn't they call it suntanner? Disappointment from a otherwise creative house, more so as I love their Untitled.

alli8769
alli8769

Replica of Estée Lauder's "Beyond Paradise", the drydown reminds me somewhat of a coconut à la "Bronze Goddess". Starting off a little harsh, then disappears into nothing particular, almost nothing.

Beach Walk by Maison Martin Margiela 3.59 out of 5 based on 112 ratings and 31 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maison Martin Margiela Beach Walk fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Maison Martin Margiela Beach Walk, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Beach Walk by Maison Martin Margiela. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Beach Walk by Maison Martin Margiela represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.